Speaker 1: You are listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: People always ask me who my dream guest would be on Ruthie's Table four. Kate Blanchett has always been top of that list, an actor, director, and a vocal activist for values and ideas close to my heart. A few weeks ago, Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach took me to see Kate and Thomas Ostermeier's radical new version of The Seagull at the Barbican Theater. After a stunning performance, we all went for small supper next door, talking about check off her rollin Tar and the Serpentine Party that she's co hosting this summer and is always family. Kate lives with purpose in the countryside in East Sussex, keeping bees, growing vegetables in her garden, cooking and eating seasonally. Here we are at the River Cafe on the beautiful first day of summer. The sun is shining, the chefs are cooking, and the garden flowering. Kate and I are going to talk about our shared love of food, artists, children, and a lot more. A dream come true.
Speaker 3: Indeed, Ah, I'm glad I got out of bed this morning, I'm glad to do looking at it right, a little piece of sunshine?
Speaker 2: Has this come on to the thro that was such an incredible like how do you feel postsecuel? Are you? What does it feel like? What you did it for? How many weeks?
Speaker 3: It was so short? We were at the Barbecane, so it was six weeks. And I must I mean, I've known Thomas Ostermaier for years and years and years. You know, he's running the Shower Booner and my husband and I were running the Sydney Theater Company, so our paths continually crisscrossed, but we never actually worked together. And I think the thing maybe it's a little bit like a dinner party when you do check off. It's all about the ensemble and the alchemy that happens or doesn't between the actors. And I've always done check off with a loose ensemble of actors, whereas Thomas was assembling all of us. Some a few people had worked together before, or I'd work with Tom Burke on Soderberg's Black Bag relatively recently before the production started, but a lot of it didn't know one another, and he was able to bring us all together all from totally wildly different approaches. And the thing I miss most is the people. I love them all so much.
Speaker 2: People here, yeah, like my family. You know, we work together, we go out, or we celebrate or sometimes we just also just work. But it is a very strong attachment when you're working together and creating something here, it's every day. You know, in a way, they're parallels. The curtain goes up at twelve thirty, and the curtain goes up with you at seven thirty. Don't you think there's an anticipation. You're very dependent on each other.
Speaker 3: And also I think you're part of something that And this is what maybe the patrons don't realize, what an audience doesn't realize, is that whatever happens in the kitchen will be totally influenced by the people who come through that, who through your front door. And so the evening is I think, you know, you know what's on the menu, but you don't know how it's going to unfold. You don't know what people are going to order, and so it's it's fresh every time. And I you know, being quite shy, I mean I don't know if you are, but yeah, you get to know people by doing something together.
Speaker 2: Collaborating. Yeah, together, but we see actors on stage singing or the incredible gift that is given to us as an audience to be able to have that, and Britain has always been known for that. Exactly do you feel that this is something that is threatened now that we that the priority of culture in this country is being lessened. There was a time when there was money for the arts. You know, there was money for building a theater. And I know that you are an activist. I know that you're engaged in political life. And what are you feeling about right now in terms of.
Speaker 4: I mean people talk about activism.
Speaker 3: You know that it's political, but I think it's engaging in things that have been politicized. And it always is strange to me when we talk about the arts, this word elite is used. And if you think about an elite sports person, that term means that they are they have spent many many years perfecting their ability, that they are at the top of their game, and that when we talk about the arts, yes, they are elite in the sense that those people who put those shows on are exceptional at what they do. It's not for an elite. I think the elite these days are the people who don't pay tax. And if they did pay tax, then all of these wonderful offerings cultural offerings. The Churchill said, what are we fighting for if we're not fighting for culture and the access to it is that then they would be more accessible to people.
Speaker 4: And so there's this.
Speaker 3: I think it's a linguistic language division that's often created between people and culture. And I think that you I mean, that's the joy of touring a play is that you will tour to a regional area, you'll do it in a major city, you'll do it in one country, in another country, And I think that the reaction that people have in various different locations will feed the work, and hopefully.
Speaker 4: Those people will be fed by the work.
Speaker 3: The first time I went to a gallery and saw, you know, a major work of portraiture, it changed the way, you know, at my little state primary school, the way I thought about the world.
Speaker 4: And dance does that, music does that.
Speaker 3: But we're told that it's only for a certain set of people, and I think that's because access is not afforded them.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the early days of being in your family. Did you you have sisters and brothers?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have an older brother and a younger sister, and my father was from Texas, so I was born in Melbourne in Australia. Yeah, we were going to move to the States really early on, and they decided, I think for our education, that they wanted us to be in Australia, so we stayed there.
Speaker 2: But why did he come from Australia, from Texas to Asta.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was in the He.
Speaker 3: Was the child of two alcoholic parents and so he grew up I think, killing birds in a park and it would never happen now, but you know, a gentleman saw him and took him off the streets and educated him and put him through high school.
Speaker 4: And the minute he could, he wanted to.
Speaker 3: Get out, so he lied about his age, joined the Navy, and he went to the Antarctic, and I think he decided to become a Unitarian minister. And my mother, who was at Teachers College in Melbourne, he well, his ship broke down leaving the Antarctics, so they had to dock in Melbourne and there was a teachers dance and they didn't have enough men, so they went down to the port and then my father came and my mother and he danced all night, and then he left three weeks later, and they corresponded for two years, and then he decided to come out. It was quite old fashioned. It was a little bit like this wonderful Patrick White novel called Voss, where there's Uh an explorer and I can't remember what she did. I think she might have also been a teacher. They fell in love but didn't consummate it or to claim it to one another, and then they corresponded to letters, and that's sort of what my mother and father did. And then they decided he'd come out and get married.
Speaker 2: And that's a story of adventure and chance and yeahs pursuing an idea and the idea of the harbor and the meeting and the dancing all night.
Speaker 3: We celebrated Halloween and Thanksgiving. So I grew up with pumpkin pie and can.
Speaker 4: Park did mom?
Speaker 3: Yeah, make them both and yeah, and so he Yeah, we grew up with quite a lot of American black eyed peas, all of those things.
Speaker 2: So did you ever go back to Texas? Yes?
Speaker 3: Sadly, he died when he was forty and we had planned a trip back to back to Texas and he died in the January and we were going in May, and so we made the trip anyway and went and met his sort of of his family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so growing up there was a sense of the American influence. There was Australian influence as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: My grandmother was I think a Scottish grandmother. Yeah, I lived with you, Yeah she did. She lived, made the sandwiches, made the sandwiches. I think she was a Scottish descent. So everything was boiled within an inch of its life. And at that point in Australia, avocados were, you know, incredibly exotic mangoes.
Speaker 4: Because are we talking about We're talking about.
Speaker 3: A long time ago, in the eighties, in the eighties, and so because of the fruitfly, there were quite strong demarcations between what was grown in Queensland what was grown in New South Wales. Nothing ever came over from Western Australia to Victoria.
Speaker 4: If you had fruit.
Speaker 3: And you were crossing between Victoria and New South Wales, you had to leave the fruit the vegetables at the border. So there was no tropical fruit that even came down. I mean, I have the utmost respect for farmers, I mean in any country, but in Australia it's really, it's very hard. It's such an ancient land, and I think because for so long we have marginalized indigenous understandings.
Speaker 4: Of the way way to grow and collect food.
Speaker 2: Actually, tell me about the indigenous experience.
Speaker 3: Of well, I mean, there were so many hundreds of language groups and cultures that have been wiped out through you know, a white invasion. I mean, you can't call it any other name in any other way, but I think we've not grown as a white culture through that wisdom and understanding of the land. And so the food ball in so many parts of Australia is actually in the wrong place. Water is a scarce commodity. I mean brand Australia when I was growing up was multiculturalism. And so once we you know, really embraced the wave of Vietnamese and Lebanese and Greek and Italian immigrants and refugees, our cuisine became extraordinary. And now it's been exported to the world as Pan Pacific or Asia Pacific and so it's But at the time when I was growing up, my mother was an excellent cross.
Speaker 2: So tell me about So your mother was left with three children. Ye, well, she was what.
Speaker 3: She was thirty nine and my brother was eleven I was ten. Well, she had to go back to work as a teacher and so she taught home economics. So our kitchen was fantastic. Yeah, a lot of a lot of Italian cooking and a lot of fresh seafood and salads. And that was not what people were eating at the time. But I think the thing when there was a lot of grief in my house, So the meals were delicious, but they were silent and and and that's been one of the great joys I think from my side of the family, but also for me is my husband came from this enormous Catholic family, so the food may not have been Yeah, I know he's Australian, but they had massively noisy, loud, raucous meals.
Speaker 4: And my husband's an excellent cook.
Speaker 3: And actually the first time I met my brother in law was at Christmas and he there was I came towards the house and there was people were screaming with laughter and I don't know what the what the meal is, but it's a medieval recipe where you stuff a goose.
Speaker 4: With a pigeon.
Speaker 3: I know that quail, that's right, And what had happened was he'd open oven and the thing shot out. The telescope telescoped out.
Speaker 4: Onto the wall.
Speaker 3: So there goes Christmas lunch. Yeah, so they were madly trying to stuff it back in.
Speaker 2: I know that recipe. I mean I've never done it myself, but I know that's dangerous. Have you ever done that? Do you know that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Dangerous.
Speaker 2: That's so funny because they probably asked their cooking. They expand, expand, and then therefore, yeah, that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: So they're wildly adventurous with the call. When you met him, my husband and I got to we've been married. God, we got married very quickly actually in ninety seven. It wasn't a shotgun wedding. We didn't have children for quite some time. But I think we're twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were embraced by this family. But going back to yours, So you grew up with you know, your father in the beginning cooking, and I assume that your mother cooked, and you meals and keep cues and people, and then it became a kind of sadness.
Speaker 4: And then did the silent Yeah.
Speaker 2: And did that change? Did you? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thinking about it, maybe because I was coming to speak to you. But then I've always loved the dinner party. And so what I would do is I wouldn't go to a lot of parties as a teenager. I would have dinner parties. Yeah, so I would where everyone would dress up. My girlfriends would all dress up and we'd know it would all cook something and we'd you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Who we were trying to ape or what we were trying to ape.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of sorbet inside orange cups, and I don't know. And I grew up with this Salvador Daly cookbook, you know, the one that he'd done and he'd done the illustrations and yes, yes, and I cooked from that.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to admit that I didn't. That was where I cooked my first.
Speaker 2: Surrealist cookbook, a surrealist recipe.
Speaker 4: But it was hard in Melbourne at the time to find a pheasant. You try, I tried.
Speaker 3: So I cooked and tried to decorate that the dishes from the salvad Or Daly cookbook.
Speaker 4: What age was it, This is probably about thirteen.
Speaker 2: So that's yeah. Because I often talked to people who when I say, okay, so you grew up in this nurturing home with a grandmother and a mother and cooking, and then what happened when you left home? And very often people say, then when I had my own flat and I started buying local ingredients and I started cooking. But thirteen is an early age that to do and to entertain.
Speaker 4: And I think it's because it was my father's book.
Speaker 3: He worked in advertising, and it was must have been a gift that he was given one year and yeah, so it was sort of trying the sal Yeah, not that I can remember him ever cooking from it, but it was just it was something of his that maybe I gravitated towards that.
Speaker 4: And also.
Speaker 3: The Surrealism seemed to make sense to me. I had very vivid nightmares and dreams as a child, and so his work and the surrealism movements as a whole kind of really unlocked something for me.
Speaker 2: An open kitchen in the River Cafe means we as chefs are able to talk to our guests dining in the restaurant. And now we're bringing that same ethos to our podcast, a question and answer episode with me and our two executive chefs. Send a voice note with your question to questions at Rivercafe dot co dot uk, and you might just be our next great guest on Ruthie's Table four. Tell me about cooking the dover soul. What was that?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd actually deboned a soul in Alfonso Quaran's disclaimer, and I don't know whether he thought my deboning was too good or that the scene was too static or whatever, but he then threw a cat onto the bench. So I was trying to debone and cook the soul with a cat on the bench, which was what did the cat do?
Speaker 4: Tried to read?
Speaker 2: So, having having cooked the billeted the dover soul, would you like to tell everyone listening how to make come to the river. And also, you know, you can change it in any way you want. People read it and add their own advice or okay, let's just or you can just read it whatever you write.
Speaker 3: You know, there's something I was thinking too about the way you cook. Someone said this, and I'm going to phrase it so badly that Chopin apparently said that the great reward of have been played many many notes over many many years is simplicity. And I think that is something extraordinary about the way you cook. And maybe it's with this recipe. So the more dover souls you cook, the better you'll cook them. Dover soul with capers and marjarine two tablespoons salted capers, extra virgin olive oil. But put that on the fish before you put it in the pan. That's what I learned today. A bunch of fresh marjoram leaves, four whole dover sole weighing three hundred and fifty to four hundred grams each, scaled and cleaned by someone at the riff of cafe. One lemon, cut in half and put in the pan. Eventually put the capers on.
Speaker 4: This is the method.
Speaker 3: Put the capers in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Leave to soak in cold water for forty minutes, then rinse again. Preheat the oven two hundred and thirty degrees celsius. Brush a large flat oven tray with extra virgin olive oil. Scatter half of the marjoram leaves over the tray. Season, place the fish on top, side by side little buddies who are about to be eaten. Season Then scatter the remaining mardrum and the capers over with olive oil. Bake for fifteen to twenty minutes. Test with the point of a sharp knife or a fork inserted in the thickest part of the sole. If cooked, the flesh should come away from the bone. Don't eat it yet, Squeeze the lemon over the fish, and serve with any juices from the pan.
Speaker 2: Delicious So simple, isn't it?
Speaker 3: I know, but I didn't realize if you oil the fish first, of course, it doesn't stick to the pan. I know, and marjoramn't. I would have put parsley, which is a bit more the Margroom's just so flavor something.
Speaker 2: Now it's very perfume. But then again, we do it with rosemary. Sometimes you put a whole branch of rosemary under the sole when we cook it. We do it, but we do parsley and then the caper. Is the saltiness of the caper that was delicious. Or maybe I'll just do an anchovy, one anchovy over it.
Speaker 3: I love anchovy much maligned. I think it's probably one of my favorite fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we an Italian cookie. It's they are like a herb. They're like this seasoning. So we make right now we're doing white asparagus and or green and we make an anchovy butter and it kind of melts.
Speaker 4: I love asparagus. Yes, I haven't been.
Speaker 2: Are you getting it now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They started, we're changing. We had a really tiny little garden.
Speaker 3: We used to have pigs, and then the pigs went because we weren't realized we weren't pig farmers and they're too intelligent. And there was something just I thought that, and yeah, and actually it was my machiavellian plan to turn my family vegetarian. I thought, if we get pigs, then the children will realize that the sausages they eat, the ham they eat, the bacon, it all comes from these pigs. And my now seventeen year old called himself the pig whisper, and he used to go up and he used to hug the pigs and.
Speaker 4: Stroke the pigs.
Speaker 3: And of course then when they got turned into sausages and you know, ethically and as humanly as.
Speaker 4: You can, I was sitting there. It was a little bit cruel.
Speaker 3: They were sitting down putting the ketchup on their sausages, and I said, you know, this used to be Benson and hedges. My husband called them Benson and Hedges because he said they're going to be smoked.
Speaker 4: It was a little bit a bit off, but.
Speaker 3: Anyway, and they said this is Benton and hedges and my my now seventeen year old, said delicious.
Speaker 4: So it didn't work. So then the pigs went and so then we think, I.
Speaker 2: Want to be on a lifeboat with that boy.
Speaker 3: No, he's actually incredibly kind and sweet, but he's a sensualist, so he's very in the moment. And so then that little vegetable garden where we're growing asparagus and we had raspberries, we had a whole host hotch potch. We then decided to build a walled garden, so that has gone to fallow. So the asparagus has kind of now gone.
Speaker 4: To see so you get grape fish from the car.
Speaker 3: Yes, in Forest Row there's a fantastic fishmonga Vis's, so we, yeah, we get our fish from there. And we used to live in Brighton. You know my shepeas, That's what I telled, I love a pee, I love my sheepee's. There was one fish and chip shop on the tram stop near my school, my high school, and I discovered us going out with a skinhead at the time, and he took me there and I had my first mushy peas and chips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're not Those don't need to be like freshly picked peas do.
Speaker 3: They can be better if they are, let's face it. But the one of the first ones I had were not did you.
Speaker 2: Enjoy going out to eat? Was that something in your culture that you'd go to eat for a special occasion.
Speaker 3: We did when my father was alive. We went to I had a lot of a lot of Asian restaurants and my father and I never really got to speak to him about this as an adult, but he had a lot of Japanese lithographs and books of haiku poetry, and I think he must have traveled through Japan quite a lot. So there weren't very many Japanese restaurants when I was growing up, but I remember going to several with him and eating a lot of Chinese food, and the first time I had fried ice cream it was just miraculous. So the first time I had raw fish was amazing, and I just loved the beauty and precision of the Japanese culture, and so I remember those experiences. And when I went to drama school, I didn't have a penny, but a girl who was in the directing course. Was married to a Qcourne in Sydney at the National Institute, and we used to sneak away and go and have sake and a little bit of sashimi at lunchtime and that seemed so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so chic and you know, extravagant.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when you started acting how that married with your wife? How did that affect your food? I mean, did you meet a different way? Did you go out to more restaurants?
Speaker 3: I mean my first job, actually out of drama school, I worked in the catering truck on a television show because I wasn't working as an actor, and it was my first entry into the film world, so I didn't It was like this distraction that was happening that was so frustrating, being in the catering truck trying to get breakfast out and lunch out, and you know, in the afternoon whatever it was called that we had to keep stopping because they were doing this annoying thing called filming, but they kept turning over. It was like, guys, how are we going to get the cheese cake ready? And then and then eventually I ended up on the other side. But I had a real love and respect for the difficulty of working in the you know, the catering van and how you know it can be thankless.
Speaker 2: Imagine estate bottled olive oil chosen and bottled for the River Cafe, arriving at your door every month. Our subscription is available for six or twelve months, with each oil chosen personally by our head chefs and varying with each delivery. It's a perfect way to bring some a cafe flavor into your home, or to show someone you really care for them with the gift. Visit our website shop the River Cafe dot co dot uk to place your order.
Speaker 3: Now, when I came here, we'd always wanted to have a garden, We'd always wanted to grow things. I've got brown thumbs. My mother and my grandmother had very very green thumbs. And now my mother lives with us.
Speaker 2: And I was saying, a brown thumb as well, green being.
Speaker 3: Big, grow well, and I touched something and it just goes. I know it is, but this is changing slowly, and so it's been so fantastic. I think too, because I grew up with my grandmother. Now that my mother is living with us, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: They lived with us.
Speaker 4: Oh really, it's great. It's great having a multi generational household. That's great, saying.
Speaker 2: There's always my little My son when he was little used to try and wake us up. It's a bog, you know, going back to sleep. And then we'd hear him go downstairs. He'd say to his brother, can you wake up? And you say, I'll go back to sleep. And then we hear go all the way down to my mom and she'd opened the door and say, hi, bo, I want to make a cake.
Speaker 4: You know in the morning, what every child wants to.
Speaker 3: But it's I know from you probably know this with your grandmother, is that you talk so differently to your grandparents than you do to your parents, and and that that you can't tell everything to one person sometimes, you know, we are different things with different people. But anyway, so I'm having my mum in that house has been great, sod.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she does.
Speaker 3: She's got her own garden, but also together where we've just reinstated a walled garden that used to be there. Because the house we're living in was derelict for many, many years, and so when we part in Lockdown, we realized that under a lot of rubble and mud, there was a greenhouse. So we we restored it and then we saw an aerial shot of the house or the block of land in the forties, and so we've rebuilt along the lines of where the war garden used to be.
Speaker 4: And it's a learning curve. It keeps you humble. You must humility because patient you don't have control over it.
Speaker 3: There, yes, and weather, yeah, and also I mean I think it's just that thing of knowing that the certain moths are going to come. And so we're not having a lot of luck with broccoli and cauliflower, but Brussels sprouts are okay, And so you cook with what you've what you gather that day.
Speaker 2: So when you said we were, when you said we were going to do this today, I thought, well, okay, we'll come and we'll have a conversation ali saki tasting. So how did saki come? How did this happen?
Speaker 3: Well, it's sort of it started a long time ago, I think. I mean, you know, my mother and father drank sak when we went out to Japanese restaurants, and that was you know, to have to have a drink in a tiny little cup. I mean, I found all of the elements, so beautiful. And I've always loved ceramics since I was with the ecouchement around it. And then I worked with the Japanese skincare company This is years ago, for about fifteen years, and we would go to Japan a lot, and the active ingredients in the skincare was found when during the rice polishing process, you know, because obviously and this one is a junm daginjo, which is a highly polished rice, and that made the people who were working with the rice their hands were just like infant's hands.
Speaker 4: The skin was amazing. But as a result, I went.
Speaker 3: To a lot of breweries and I got really fascinated with the fermentation process and the fact that sake is brewed like a beer but drunk like a wine. And I thought, well, I often drink it when I'm having Italian food because there's a purity and simplicity to you know, particularly to the way you serve it up that also is quite twinned to the purity and simplicity of Japanese food, and I thought I would love to be part of trying to bring that to to Western cuisine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have to pour for you.
Speaker 2: What is the ritual? Is there it's at the right temperature. You don't drink it hot. With the first Japanese restaurant, let's say, do you want it hard or do you want it? Oh? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well the first time I had it was it was hot.
Speaker 3: But because this is such a when the more highly polished it is, and this is really highly polished.
Speaker 4: It's polished to thirty five percent. For what that's worth. It has such a refined.
Speaker 3: Flavor that you don't you don't want to heat it because it would take all that that complication away.
Speaker 4: Beautiful. Well, yeah, I've always drunk drunk it in.
Speaker 3: A like in a little vessel, the ceramic, but there's something about you can you can smell it better, I think, And it doesn't feel so much like a spirit.
Speaker 2: That's nice to you that you're here. It's more saki together. And do you go to Japan? You go where they make it? Have you been?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been amazing actually being part of the the process of of seeing it made and and it's it's aged in a very cold environment too, so it's really good.
Speaker 2: How would you describe it?
Speaker 4: I think it's fruity, but it's not too sweet.
Speaker 2: It isn't I think you described the saki in very visual terms as well as taste terms.
Speaker 4: I always wanted to to to paint like I always wanted to dance.
Speaker 2: And by the way, can I just interrupt you for a minute and say, those splits.
Speaker 4: Sea girl, I'm still suffering.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: Know.
Speaker 2: I had. The whole performance was kind of the revelation of what you could. It was hard to take it. But when you came and did those splits.
Speaker 4: A joke, that was as.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm quite I make more sense in movement. I think, you know, it's taken me a long time to get used to being sort of in a two dimensional medium or being photographed is always I have to sort of trick myself into feeling comfortable. But yeah, it ended up being quite quite physical.
Speaker 2: And conducting is physical, Yeah, dancing actually dancing your arms, your legs.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's an amazing choreographer who also dances called Xavier le Roi. He watched Simon Rattle conduct The Right of Spring, and when he can, i mean, every every strand of hair is flying. He's such an incredible creature when he conducts. And he took that that he's active conducting and turned it into a piece of choreography. And actually, when I was playing tar in Toddfields.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask you about that.
Speaker 3: I watched that piece of that dance and it was totally free, and so I saw it the conducting as a kinetic response like dances to music auto silence, you know, and so that I found it quite liberating.
Speaker 2: When we think about food, we think about food as you talked about your father and the memory of him in Australia entertaining me as a thirteen year old and then tasting a delicious tomato, and then we've just said, right now, food is all that, but it's also comfort. And so I was wondering if you could just tell me before you say goodbye, what if you need comfort, If you do want food as comfort, is there something that you would reach for or cook or buy.
Speaker 3: I think in the end it would be it would be a soup. It would be a soup. And I think really good soups often take time to make. So you have you first of all, you have to do the onions and the garlic, and then you have to you know, put certain vegetables root vegetables in first, and you have to let it simmer, and I'm quite impatient, which is why I'm really relishing Starting a Garden, because it's teaching me humility and patience. But there's something about making a soup that you just have to let it sit and you have to let it rest. And there's one soup I talk about food waste I can't which I can't stand. I get ribbed a lot about it by my boys. But you know that that two or three day old bread that is otherwise going to go into the bins, you chop it up and you make that fantastic soup with tomatoes and onions, and it makes the bread go quite cheesy.
Speaker 2: The cat they called Papa Pomora.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love it, and I made it. I made it over the weekend because we had a lot of white bread.
Speaker 2: That was some they did and fantastically in the summer when the tomatoes are very ripe, and then in the winter they actually caught ribolita, which means a kind of basic minestrone. Very often it just has cavalo narrow, which is a kind of and beans and then you add the bread and then it expands and then it's called rebelita. It's one of my favorite we have cool. Yeah, it's good. Thank you, Kate, thank you
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table for in partnership with Montclair