Speaker 1: Sabrina, did you ever study any martial arts?
Speaker 2: I mean study on like a professional level or like we.
Speaker 3: Study professional Did you ever go to karate classes or any of that kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I didn't know any of that like that.
Speaker 3: Which one? Wait, do you mean like on a professional scale or more?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I've never.
Speaker 2: Done no, like in my own home, feeling like I did my own professional training. Yes thing, No, wow, I'm telling you right now, hands down, like everything about like Karate Kid, Ninja Ninja specifically was my wheelhouse of like dying to.
Speaker 1: Be Yeah, me too. My dad's nickname for me.
Speaker 3: My whole life has been Ninja because all I did was watching Ninja Jinja movies.
Speaker 2: And I mean my dogs are named after the three Ninja like characters, Rockey and Emily, like this was my world and I.
Speaker 3: One of writings Strong's best friends was one of the three Ninjas growing up.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I know.
Speaker 2: And it was very hard when we were at Disneyland to not talk about that.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about your friend being Ninja? Like?
Speaker 2: Is he still doing ninja stuff?
Speaker 3: Did you watch old school ninja movies like Real, like Sho Kasugi, like Revenge of the Ninja Return of the Ninja kind of Ninja MILLI.
Speaker 2: No, I lived in the Disney world from you know this, Like no, it was starting Disney stuff like kids, kid friendly stuff.
Speaker 3: You got to get into the real gut slashing ninja star through the eye throwing.
Speaker 2: Kind of No, that's not the fun Nina.
Speaker 1: Good that is.
Speaker 3: First of all, ninjas aren't fun. They're awesome and they're trained to sass.
Speaker 2: It's like like like, you know, like power rangers like that was like my like home, I mean I did I Arrangers are superheroes.
Speaker 1: They weren't ninjas.
Speaker 2: Well they were like ninjas no, no, no, no, wow, yes they were.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Power rangers were endowed with magical powers essentially like superpowers to become a clan, not even a clan, to become a team of of superheroes that happened to do martial arts.
Speaker 1: Ninjas weren't highly trained martial arts. Secret assassins is what ninjas are.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you right now, you're not going to burst my bubble of how I feel that.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I just think that you're It's like you're you're looking you know what.
Speaker 3: It's the equivalent of you're looking at it be me looking at a dance team and going, oh, they're a cheerleading squad, and you'd be like, no, no, no, no. Those are two very different things. That's the difference in looking at the Power Rangers and saying they're ninjas. You're looking at a dance squad and calling them cheerleaders. No, not so sorry?
Speaker 1: Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: Team?
Speaker 3: And I was like, they're a cheer squad, you would be like, that's not what they are. Power Rangers are not Ninja's my friend. I'm gonna here's what you're gonna start with. The You're gonna start.
Speaker 1: With the old school Revenge of the Ninja with Sho Kasugi.
Speaker 2: That's where you're gonna start.
Speaker 1: Don't then you don't like Ninja's my friend?
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, but I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, We're gonna make sure you watch the real stuff. Okay. Well, and for everybody else.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the wave tsunamis and apparently the Power Rangers were ninjas.
Speaker 1: Yes they weren't. I will for Dell and Brian Ready to fight.
Speaker 3: Well, dig into your ancestry and search for traces of a Yin Warrior, because we're attacking the two thousand and six High School Martial Arts d com Wendy WU Homecoming Warrior. It premiered on June sixteenth, two thousand and six, and scored an impressive five point seven million viewers that night. Ready for This, making it the fifth highest rated d com of all time.
Speaker 1: I bet you didn't see that coming. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I gonna be honest, I'm gonna just jump ahead. I hadn't even heard of this movie, so the idea that this is the fifth highest dcom ever is pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It also received the highest rating ever for a dcom on Disney Channel Japan.
Speaker 1: In addition to the film, the movie.
Speaker 3: Stars took over the block of programming leading to the debut, so Disney Channel really put their weight behind this one, and it certainly paid off. They also repurposed the movie for two other versions, the kickin version, which is kik Apostrophe I N which included five new scenes, and a remixed version where the cast answered viewer questions and taught karate moves. The movie's budget was just five million dollars, in impressively low amount for the time considering its success, but a lot can be accredited to the film's star. A Disney kid who is having quite a moment right now. That is Brenda Song, one of our favorites. She reportedly trained for two weeks with sixteen hour days. She did most of her own stunts and said she pushed herself to the max as a tribute to her mom, who had battled breast.
Speaker 1: Cancer the year before. Really cool. You also saw the work she put in.
Speaker 3: We found this fact online and it might be the most two thousand and six sentence ever, but I'm gonna say it anyway. The film was originally set to air on June second, two thousand and six, but was pushed back by Disney Channel due to technical difficulties involving the film's official website, which is, you know, in two thousand and six, they're still new having websites for all this kind of stuff. It was out and people were doing it, but it was still like are you on that internet thing?
Speaker 1: Also, a large.
Speaker 3: Amount of criticism online about this movie involves Asian stereotypes. Luckily, something we seem to be moving farther away from in twenty twenty six, but it has to be said it was a different time, especially when it came to Asian representation movies, or well lack thereof, for that matter. Though the movie was set in California, most of the film was actually filmed in Auckland, New Zealand, which was a decision made to accommodate the film's action director. Now, I'm going to do a blanket apology right here to everyone. There are names that I'm going to say, and I'm sure i'm going to butcher the pronunciation as somebody who grew up with a name that nobody got right.
Speaker 1: I don't like when people mispronounce my name.
Speaker 3: I apologize because I know i'm gonna mess these up.
Speaker 1: But bear with me. So I'm going to do the best I can.
Speaker 2: Better you than me, because I would have absolutely butcher that.
Speaker 3: I am going to try. So apologies to everyone involved. When I eventually mangle your name, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: But here we go.
Speaker 3: So the film's action director was Cooachi Sakamoto, the brains behind the original Power Rangers fights. There we Go, which is kind of a cool piece of trivia and Sakamoto was able to bring in a lot of actors from Power Rangers, including Sally Martin, who is the Blue Power Ranger in Power Rangers Ninja Storm.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, see it's still not the wrong already.
Speaker 3: Really, are they throwing Ninja stars and slicing people over, you know, assassinating people in the middle of the night for gold, then they're not ninjas. And Anna Hutchinson who played the Yellow Ranger in Jungle Fury. They shot at Long College and use some of their students as extras, all part of a quick twenty four day shoot, which is fast and Wendy Woo was just the eighth dcom ever to get the TVPG rating thanks to all the fight scenes of the eight. We have now watched four Twitches, Halloween Town, Halloween Town two, and Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire?
Speaker 1: Do you think that it was PG for Mom's Gotta Date.
Speaker 3: With Vampire because it was so bad and yeah, fighting words again, but vampire fighting words?
Speaker 2: Halloween Town, Halloween probably.
Speaker 1: Scary, probably because of the scary aspect. I would think. Are Twitches Twitches again?
Speaker 3: You had you had like the girls didn't they had killed people that the father was dead and he was killed.
Speaker 2: By to look into like the diet, like the rules of like.
Speaker 1: Write the breakdown or what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you never know because I know back in the day, it's like if they showed somebody smoking, that got a new rating, if they showed somebody yes, seca.
Speaker 1: So you never know what it could possibly be.
Speaker 3: But anyway, yeah, you might be asking yourself, this movie sure sounds like a hit for the channel.
Speaker 1: Will you be right?
Speaker 3: But so why was there no sequel? That's a good question mark. Did you get that? Did you get that? No?
Speaker 1: Have you seen you haven't seen the Room? Oh god, oh Serena, we gotta talk.
Speaker 3: Okay, the talk, I gotta start. Sorry, your education. The Room is considered with the worst, like the worst movie you ever made. It's brilliant And that's one of the famous lines. Good question mark. So there was a sequel greenlit in two thousand and seven, as reported by Variety, but it was eventually cut from the Disney schedule and never spoken of again. The idea for the follow up was said to involve an alternate ending of the movie found on it's DVD, where Yang Lo, who was obviously the bad guy, was shown to have secretly inhabited the body of the Wu family dog. Now I told you, I already broke protocol and jumped ahead and told you that I'd never heard of this movie.
Speaker 1: Had you heard of Wendy Wu?
Speaker 2: I had heard, but never had seen this right in two thousand and six, Like, I've been a fan of Brenda's song for just I mean since the day she like spoke one line, this your first song, thank you very much, and so yes, I mean, and it was awesome and I heard it, but I had never seen it. So I was really really excited to know we were watching this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you already said you had never heard of never heard of this, but again that's I just I had missed all these So yeah, I guess. I mean, I don't know. I think when people talk about Brenda's song, they talk about this movie like.
Speaker 1: Okay, well there's a big I can see why.
Speaker 2: Because in all of the stuff she did on the Channel, she was like a part of the ensemble or she was, you know, the like the second character. This was like her get own movie. So it was a pretty big moment on the Channel.
Speaker 1: I can see that.
Speaker 3: And again, when when she hops on screen, you can see why she became a star.
Speaker 1: Uh, you too can learn more about Wendy Wu.
Speaker 3: She's available right now to stream on Disney Plus, and you have the choice to watch it before or after our recap. But we've been told that if you listen before, you'll be the recipient of fifteen years of good luck. No no, wait, it was fifteen years of bad luck. There was fit who knows?
Speaker 1: Just try, we let us know.
Speaker 2: It does help to watch the movie and have your kind of own opinions before you start hearing us as. It really helps.
Speaker 3: I think you and I if we went back and looked at everything, I think you and I are on the same page more often than we're not.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I feel like very rare that I'm like, this is the worst movie ever, and you're like I loved it.
Speaker 1: Like that almost never.
Speaker 2: Happens, almost never, but in.
Speaker 1: The times it does. I explain basically, why why? Then we go from there. That's it, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: It's like, here's why they're in that, like little sister aspect, like I don't know why. I try. Everyone, please stop giving me so much on Instagram. I freaking try.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll give you on Instagram.
Speaker 2: No, it's like thinking they're like, oh well, then Will says it's realis like goes along with it, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, no, no, I don't agree. You and I will.
Speaker 3: We'll fight about certain movies, but you can see. I mean again, some of them are aren't great, and the ones that are we enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yes, just the way it is, I feel like I pull you. I mean the fact that you love musicals. Now you just like are dying to Like You're like, when's the next musical? Guys?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Why is nobody breaking into song? Yea, her name is Brenda song? Why is she not singing.
Speaker 2: For god opportunity to break into song right now?
Speaker 1: Why? Thank you? Thank you?
Speaker 2: And I feel like that's because of me, Like you love it because I love it?
Speaker 1: I agree U.
Speaker 3: Now let's see if we love this one. It is time for our synopsis. Teen girl Wendy Wu focuses on becoming Homecoming Queen until she learns she has the soul of an ancient female warrior destined to battle an evil spirit. Okay, Sabrina, it's time to enter the temple. What are your early thoughts on Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior?
Speaker 2: What did you think I want you to know? Hands down, I went into this movie already loving it because I do love nit just and.
Speaker 1: I love Okay fair enough, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, will's not even going to care that? Like I I didn't even have my phone next to me. I went after and put some notes, but I was ready to love this movie. Brenda song check, Ninja aspect check, like just evil demon that we are going to destroy and like overcome a check. I was already like I knew this is what was gonna be and I was like already obsessed. So I went into this a little unfair. I don't think I went in I went into it with an absolute bias, and I have no no regard, like no, I don't care, I just.
Speaker 3: Okay, but no regret to be bad because you couldnot live up to your hype where you did it live up to the hype you were hoping.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there was no point where I was like, oh this is stupid. I'm like everything that they did that, even the most ridiculous thing that happened on the screen, I was like, don't care, okay care, I loved it. I went in already loving this absolute bias, didn't care and I'm like, Will's gonna murder me because I don't care, not for any aspect of anything, and there was no there was no wrong in this movie for me. Those are my early thoughts. That's gonna be my just put a tent on it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not gonna go that far, but I I don't disagree this. This this hit kind of all of I don't know Brenda song as well as you the things I've seen her and I like, but this hit the fantastical side, the martial arts side, the history side. I love when they put a culture's folklore into something. It's like one of my favorite things in the world.
Speaker 2: So it was like the heavy hitters they had like, oh it just was Will. This was just like one of our like oh thank god, we like, I'm just so excited for it. And not to mention like the fact that Disney went for it, and they went for it, they went for the backfield. They were wanted to knock it out of the park because this was a big like again, you're going into the culture aspect, You're going into a lot of stuff that like a lot of people could fight back on. Yeah, and Disney just were like, you know what, we're Disney. We're gonna do it. We're gonna do it right.
Speaker 3: You're also doing a highly choreographed martial arts movie that was done well, like it all looked great. Yeah, it's got the wirework from like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: So and this was the time of all that happening, right, Like I don't know the dates like you would because you have your little bit better of like.
Speaker 3: Google these Crouching Tiger came out in two thousand, so six years later. But this was still okay. God, if you want to see a movie, go watch House of Flying Daggers.
Speaker 1: It is so good.
Speaker 3: It's the same kind of same kind of thing as as a Crouching Tiger. It's that you're right, it's this early two thousands of the beautiful Asian background and the outfits and the martial arts awesome.
Speaker 2: The only we'll get it there tiny bit of things that I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gonna nitpick.
Speaker 3: The movie was far from per There was some stupid that happen in this movie, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 1: But overall I didn't care. I don't know. This was not a perfect film.
Speaker 3: I didn't walk away going like, oh my god, it's on Goldland Pond.
Speaker 1: But it was good. Yes, but so yes, I'm still gonna nitpick. But here we go. So the director again, we're working on names everybody.
Speaker 3: So the director was John Leang, a New Zealand native who directed a ton of action TV, including Xena Warrior, Princess Hercules, and The Hitchhiker Right.
Speaker 1: He also has Power.
Speaker 3: Rangers history, which seems like a prerequisite for this movie, and his Disney history mostly rests in the channel adjacent TV show The Adventures of the Swiss Family Robinson, which I think is just a family that gets lost, and like I said, it stars a Disney darling all over the press nowadays. For a big career resurgence, it's Brenda's song as Wendy Woo, a child actor best known as London Tipton on the Sweet Life of Zach and Cody, but her overall Disney Channel game is quite possibly unmatched.
Speaker 1: She also appeared on shows like Phil of the.
Speaker 3: Future That's So Raven, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverley, Place in Phineas and ferb.
Speaker 1: So I have to ask with get a clue?
Speaker 3: The Ultimate Christmas Present, The Sweet Life movie Stuck in the Suburbs and Wizards on Deck with Hannah Montana. Is Brenda Song officially the queen of d COM's do we have to crowny?
Speaker 2: I think she needs to be at least Lady Brenda, like she has to be. If she's not the queen, she's at least a lady.
Speaker 1: But who else could we put above her? Who is done?
Speaker 3: I mean there might be bigger names, like when you get Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez. So there might be bigger names, yes, bigger d coms.
Speaker 2: And because she's a little bit older, she's a tiny bit prestigious, like and she's I.
Speaker 3: Think you might have to say all Hail the Queen. I really think you might have to say all Hale the Queen. Yep, it's it's quite possible. And nowadays you heard her in the massive Disney hit Zootopia two this time it's personal as Kitty Linsley, I think, and on Disney's Amphibia. But she's also been on shows like Running Point, Dolfa Station nineteen and Dad's and movie like The Social Network and The Last Showgirl. Shinkoyamata plays Shen. He was unfreaking believable in the Tom Cruise movie, The Last Samurai. I don't know if you've seen that, but he was really good and holds several black belts in various different styles of martial arts. By the way, a lot of people hated that Tom Cruise movie. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: Susan Chang is Nina.
Speaker 3: Chang has been in a ton of television shows and some of the biggest of all time. She appeared on a bunch of Dharma and Greg episodes, Charmed, Monk, Victorious, Big Bang Theory, and Veep, but she's best known as Tobin in Mis Congeniality Too.
Speaker 1: Also this time It's Personal. Justin chawng plays Peter.
Speaker 3: He might be known to many of our listeners as Tony Lee on The Nick Show Just Jordan, but I think he's most famous from his time as Eric in the Twilight Movies.
Speaker 1: The former child.
Speaker 3: Actor also wrote and directed the movie Blue by You, which he starred in opposite Alsia Vickennder. He's also set to direct an upcoming biopic on the band Sublime.
Speaker 1: Oh I think will be My God? So can we not practice? Santaia?
Speaker 3: Thank you from your all star blind fans out there. But does Justin troung involve himself in common sense? See, we love it when a movie hits our target of ninety minutes. That's the perfect length of a film. So where does Wendy wou sit when it comes to duration?
Speaker 1: It is ninety one minutes?
Speaker 3: Oh horror people, one minute off and not on the right side of history, tire. Sixty seconds too long, a number that easily could have been shaved off. It's a mistake by all involved. Start to kick this one off with such film.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, that would have been cut from the fight scene which nope, do not message.
Speaker 3: Could really you couldn't. You couldn't maybe cut a minute out of her baking cupcakes?
Speaker 1: There you go. See this is how I put you back and on the right side of the world.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, okay, And we have a bevy of raven talking about.
Speaker 1: Go thank you.
Speaker 3: We could I lost sixty seconds a cupcake and it would have been the same movie chat exactly, all right, okay, same movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have a bevy of writers on this one.
Speaker 3: It might be a glimpse into why we didn't hit ninety because there's too many cooks. Lydia Look is listed as a writer and this is her only movie, but she was a working actor successful for many years. She was Miss Selina Wu for ten years on General Hospital and appeared on TV shows like Bones, Pushing Daisies, and NCIS Los Angeles. Not sure how she got involved with this project as a writer though, but interesting, interesting resume. We also have Mark Cbrooks, a writer from The Steve Harvey Show whose most recent credit is as story editor on the documentary Surviving R.
Speaker 1: Kelly. It's quite a different vibe, and of course we're not done.
Speaker 3: Still got a big writing team now, Vince Treng and Ben Montegno. They are Emmy winners for their work on Wizards of Waverley Place and have tons of credits including Married with Children, Growing Pains, Neds To Classified, Empty Nest, and The Steve Harvey Show.
Speaker 1: So wow, wow, all right, everybody, let's.
Speaker 3: Not grab ninja stars because well she's not actually a ninja.
Speaker 1: But let's get into the film itself.
Speaker 3: We open on a map zooming right into Mongolia, then a beautiful temple. A handful of monks are practicing karate flips, sparring and trying to take down one particular ponytailed monk.
Speaker 1: None of this is Shen, but.
Speaker 3: He's very good, even using a dart to shatter a nearby monk's cup.
Speaker 1: And before you say it, a dart is not the same as a throwing star. So it very much gives vibes of a shaolin temple. But I don't think supposed to be.
Speaker 3: But as the shaolin demo continues, it's eventually interrupted by a wise elder surrounded by his minions, not the cartoon minions, but monk minions. But cartoon minions would have been really cool too. The elder monk tells Shen that the evil yang Low has awakened and is arriving soon. Shen assures him he's up for the task and is handed an old looking jewelry box filled with gold animal statues, a snake, a tiger, a leopard, and a crane. Four of the five deadly venoms, only the dragon is missing. Schnlarn and at this point I was like, Okay, I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Martial arts.
Speaker 3: Martial arts, cool mystical stuff.
Speaker 1: Now we're talking about the dragon and the crane. Yep, I'm in you got me.
Speaker 3: Shen learns that he's looking for a girl out west in Fair Springs, California, and when they unravel a scroll, we see a drawing of Macaulay Culkin's wife. We transition into a similar drawing, but way worse, this one of a girl wearing a tr that reads Wendy. This is Wendy Wu drawing herself as homecoming queen, and she is not paying attention in class. Now, i'd like to add, along with our I was thinking about this so much. Along with our starting with the bedroom, which is such a regular Disney trope, I'd like to add not paying attention in class and the teacher coming over and saying your name over and over again.
Speaker 1: I starred in.
Speaker 3: Two movies that my character is introduced this way, which was I did. It was the first, Oh god, it was not a movie tail the Longo Locket, So Are You Afraid the Dark?
Speaker 1: And then Trojan War. Oh so how it starts? Yeah, so your characters introduced.
Speaker 3: You hear the teacher and they're like not paying attention, and then it's kind of coming out of a dream sequence or something.
Speaker 1: So that's another Disney kind of trope I'd like to throw out.
Speaker 3: There is the kids sitting in class not paying attention and the teacher constantly trying to get their attention.
Speaker 1: So not probably as prevalent as the bedroom.
Speaker 2: No it's not. But you get the dynamic of who this kid is within their like social atmosphere. Ye are they the cool kid? Are they the kid that's nobody's friends with, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Are they like artsy? Are they gamer?
Speaker 1: Are they studious? You can get whatever itself.
Speaker 2: You get like a good idea of like this kid's character from their social dynamic, which you think is perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so's not paying attention.
Speaker 2: Kids also relate to it. Of course, kid has to be stuck. Is an hour's at a desk? Everyone I miss it.
Speaker 3: Her teacher smacks a stick on her desk and ask her to identify a mountain range on the map of Asia.
Speaker 1: As she stumbles for the answer, she is saved by the bell.
Speaker 3: And this was also I was like, okay, no, teacher is just gonna let you go when the bell rings.
Speaker 1: If you're mid.
Speaker 3: Question, every teacher goes, ah, I dismiss you, not the bell?
Speaker 1: What is that mountain range?
Speaker 3: And we've all heard that line before in class, so I was like, that's not real.
Speaker 1: But then I was like, wait, it's a movie.
Speaker 2: I'm in coaching mode too. And when my girls start looking behind me because the clock's behind me and it's getting to the time where we're supposed to be, and I'm like, do we have an issue? Does anyone have a hot date?
Speaker 1: See?
Speaker 2: No, you don't. Okay, Well I'm gonna I'm gonna if you don't mind, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna see there you go. So there you go. God, I want to see you coach.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you would just be so shocked. I want to see and I'm not always bright and shiny.
Speaker 1: You promise I will just sit there. I will not.
Speaker 2: I could get through it.
Speaker 1: Way, like, I'd be totally disruptive. It'd be great. That'd be awesome. I mean, give me one more. It'd be so much fun.
Speaker 3: That sucked.
Speaker 1: That sucked you called out a plia or whatever. I get some dance movie. All right. We are now at lunch.
Speaker 3: One of Wendy's friends, Lisa, is crying over a recent breakup.
Speaker 1: She complains that she just wants Wendy's perfect life.
Speaker 3: She's popular, she's the favorite for homecoming queen, and she has a perfect boyfriend. And with that, arguably my favorite character of the movie, perfect boyfriend Austin arrives with a salad.
Speaker 1: He's such it's great.
Speaker 2: Why is he?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, it's so well played though. He's just playing it like suck. It's like he's a Ken doll kind of. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: You saw the Barbie movie, right, you had?
Speaker 1: I did not. We've talked about this.
Speaker 2: Oh, you have to see it because the way Ken is played with in the Barbie movie is perfect, like that level of douche is and this kid, this kid took it and just ran with it.
Speaker 1: He's such a great.
Speaker 2: Actor to do this like he didn't. He was not trying to be that like all American football players, cool cool boyfriend, and he was like, no, I want to play this pitch a total dish him.
Speaker 1: I loved him.
Speaker 3: Me too, So things obviously are not perfect. First, Wendy spots Jessica Dawson in the lunch area handing out cookies looking for homecoming queen votes. Wendy is not happy about this. Even Wendy's brother Peter took a cookie. She throws a lipstick his way, just like the monk with a dart earlier, and it slices the pastry.
Speaker 1: Which cookies not pastry. That's wrong, and slices the cookie in half. Whoa she's got the.
Speaker 2: One is a cookie? Is that a pastry?
Speaker 3: No, it's a dessert. A pastry is like a flaky laminated. There's certain things that make something a pastry. You usually have to laminate the dough.
Speaker 2: It's like, why you get to make up these rules.
Speaker 3: I'm not making up rules. Who thinks a cookie is a pastry? I mean cookie is a pastry? No?
Speaker 2: But she wasn't doing like an Oreolekie's not even the same.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm sorry you're saying Oreo cookie and a chocolate chip cookie are two different categories.
Speaker 2: Yes, nobody makes Oreo cookies well people and yes, but they're in boxes. It's different. It's like a cookie is a.
Speaker 3: Cookie, cookie, a homemade cookie is still a cookie.
Speaker 2: It's still We got to find a podcast date that we can discuss things like this. This is not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't see the discussion. I get maybe thinking a.
Speaker 3: Cookie is a pastry you'd be wrong, but I get seeing it. But it's literally the name cookie. It's called Oreo cookie and chocolate chip cookie.
Speaker 2: But I would think it's Okay to be a pastry or somebody whatever. Jensen, You're not wrong, love you bro. Can I get a Can I get an easy point in the game?
Speaker 1: This is a cookie? Is not a pastry? Oh my god. It's like saying a pizza is a pasta? No wrong anyway.
Speaker 3: Now we find ourselves in a large music storage area.
Speaker 1: It's filled with Chinese relics.
Speaker 3: Wehndy is complaining to her mom, the museum curator, about how Jessica is going to ruin homecoming. How could you possibly think a cookie?
Speaker 2: No, this idea, like this is the only thing that I will be Like, I'm so over this Jessica lady. And how she's able to just like ruin homecoming with everything she does.
Speaker 3: It's like I have a question because I know I wasn't there for this part of high school.
Speaker 1: I was working at the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, Homecoming, do you actively lobby to become homecoming queen?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Do you do you run like it's an election? Like do you try to get votes to become homecoming queen? Is this a real thing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Girls do what they do? You talk quietly, and you like pass by each other and give like you talk the other girl, like's not how you handle homecoming. Obviously I was queen, not even on the court.
Speaker 3: Or maybe it's because all your friends.
Speaker 2: I was not that cool girl. I was like in the group, but like never seen.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was busy. You were popular adjacent? Is that where you were? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably like I had like my my girlfriend, you know, Morgan Mackie, like she was the girl and even she wasn't up all the time. It was a lot of times in.
Speaker 1: My homecoming queen.
Speaker 2: No. No, the the homecoming court what I do respect now didn't in the day. Were ended up being the ASB kids. But it's because the a SB kids are the ones that like put the actual events on, like they, uh, student body is I don't know what the a is.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's like student council.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, you didn't know. I think you were just like joking with me.
Speaker 1: I don't know any stuff.
Speaker 2: Like the student body like they're like elected to like put they're the ones that decide where homecoming is gonna be? Is it kind the quad associated student fundraise and do the thing to like create the events. So like for me in high school, they didn't The courts never really represented like who was like the most well known throughout the school, but they definitely represented who put the most work into creating these beautiful events. And now as an adult, I'm like, yes, those are the kids that should be up and get the crown because they're the kids that are like making it happen. The girl that's like, you know, not doing anything, just like cute, and you know, I'm sure great person.
Speaker 1: Whatever she gets, she gets my vote every time. Anyway.
Speaker 3: So Wendy is complaining to her mom, the museum curator, about how Jessica's going to ruin homecoming. She angrily slams her fist on a crate, forcing a nearby base to wobble. Seconds away from falling, Wendy thinks fast and kicks over a cardboard box, just saving it from a disase Astro's fall. But we still don't know where these Daniel LaRusso instincts are coming from, and neither does she.
Speaker 1: Whendy's bomb missed it all.
Speaker 3: She's too busy prepping for an exhibit of ancient Chinese artifacts in two weeks. This is where I started to go, like, Okay, the museum curator who's actually Chinese doesn't know anything about the exhibit she's putting up that was like really, but anyway, she suggests Wendy forget about homecoming and focus on something more important, like chores at home. But all that does is give Wendy an idea about cupcakes. Meanwhile, it looks like Shen has arrived in Fair Springs, still sporting traditional monk garb. He commonly walks down the highway and unsuccessfully flags down cars to hitchhike. And he's obviously unsuccessful because he's on the wrong side of the road trying to do that. So when a van speeds by, he decides to run after it and jump on its roof. This isn't showing that he basically has mythical powers, eventually sitting and meditating as it speeds down the road. No, I don't know about you, but this seemed very dangerous to me, Sabrina, do you recommen And this is way to travel?
Speaker 1: To our younger.
Speaker 2: Listeners when I was in they actually I don't think No, I don't think you should do it. But this is like a normal transportation out in India.
Speaker 1: You see them like, oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, none of them are worried about like I don't know, dying from being on top of the.
Speaker 1: Road, and a lot of them do apparently.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of train deaths and stuff like that in India with the overcrowding and it's just wild hanging off the side and being hit by wires.
Speaker 2: And I will say this struck a chord though, because this was like, at this point, our first like aspect of seeing the like the visual effects of him, like when he like spad like, it was kind of like, oh, because that's the only thing that I was a little worried about jumping into the movie was like the special effects because they're obviously going to have to what what's it going to look like? Because again we're on a Diesney Channel budget. So when I saw that, I was kind of like, oh, okay, not too bad, not too bad.
Speaker 1: It wasn't too bad. It wasn't too bad.
Speaker 3: Back at Wendy, she's making cupcakes with her dad, who's an ad executive. Her grandma's watching her stories on the couch, shouting Mandarin at the TV. When Wendy's mom returns from work, she desperately needs her with the Chinese stuff at work because she doesn't know her own exhibit let alone her own culture, and Wendy's grandmother agrees to help. We're now back at the museum. It's nighttime and a courier service is trying to deliver an old green and gold box. Hilariously, it's literally just the box, no protection or mailing label or anything like that, which means someone just handed an important ancient box to a FedEx guy and said, here ship this. The night security guard accepts the package, then watch again forgets to re lock the door behind him. He takes the box down to the now dark and very ominous storage space. Once he leaves to return to his desk, the box begins to glow green, killing a nearby flower. Shen has dismounted the van roof and arrived at Wendy's house, where she's cleaning up her cupcake mess. There's a knock of the door and it's Shen, who at first appears shaken by the idea that she looks different than he expected.
Speaker 1: He claims she's and again I think I'm saying this right.
Speaker 3: Miosen Away Dynasty woman warriors sworn to feet evil and it's her time again. She's obviously creeped out by the random monk, and as she goes to slam the door, Jen has wooshed beyond human ability and is now in the house behind her.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you got? Okay, what's from? What's up?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's like now that I have my daughter who is coming to an age that I'm really like who because I have so many people that help me out, like my girlfriends that take her when she's at dance and all this, she's the stranger danger has for me gone a little scary that she is, Like if someone came up to her and set called her by her name, Like that's scary for me because she might go, oh, you know my mom or whatever. So I am like adamant about stranger danger right now, like it's it's in my it's in my vocabulary, it's in my thoughts, and talks with her all the time. Sure this triggered me.
Speaker 1: Because he's just like jumping in the house behind.
Speaker 2: Her, and in her reaction is not equivalent to what I'm gonna need, like I need like the vases just starting to be thrown like I This did not This was not the equivalence of what I need. Any child, any even me, that's even me, any adult stranger to come into your house. The reaction was not correct, and I'm like, Disney, I rely on you to teach the lessons to the children. This wasn't it, So we failed.
Speaker 1: I get I I did not agree.
Speaker 2: Well, I was like, okay, apparently where this is when I thought the kung fu fighting would started, Like this is when it's like, let's get it going right, stranger in your house, girl, And it didn't a moment. So it was a mid monk for me.
Speaker 1: I get okay, fair enough. He tells her not to be frightened.
Speaker 3: He's a Buddhist monk from the Gingy Mountain temple.
Speaker 2: Kind of like that doesn't help.
Speaker 1: She exactly well.
Speaker 3: She tries to strike him with a broom that just magically appeared, and he dodges it with a flip. They spar with impressive sets of moves, and now we see why they shot this near that fight coordinator, because this was a pretty big surprise to see.
Speaker 1: It was a really good fight scene.
Speaker 3: Wendy eventually gets the upper hand and pushes Shen out the front door. We're now back at the museum. The box is still glowing and rumbling. Finally getting the attention of the security guard. He approaches the glow with pepper spray, but it pops open and exposes a big green ball and releases a spirit who towers over the guard and enters his eyes TVPG. Indeed, pretty scary scene, I thought, And I can get why they'd have to give this PG, because if you're seven or eight and watching this and there's a green glow coming in through somebody's eyes after a fight scene, I can see why they would need to make it a little older. The guard scans the mom's desk and takes a frame picture of Peter and Wendy while heavily breathing. And now a pizza guy who just happens to be Shen's brother Peter, has arrived at the museum. The guard unlocks the door, despite the fact that we noticed he did not lock it when the glowing box was delivered.
Speaker 1: But whatever, I'll let it slide.
Speaker 3: More importantly, al the security guard is now an evil d it.
Speaker 1: Peter notices that the evil guard.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't know he's an evil guard at the time, has a frame picture of him and his sister, and he knows that that's not normal. The guard grunts at Wendy and his eyes start glowing. Eventually, the evil Deity leaves al and transfers itself to Peter, who immediately walks out. The security guard returns to his natural state. Once again, he does not lock the door. This man should be fired.
Speaker 1: Back at home, Wendy.
Speaker 3: Is talking on the phone, talking to a friend all about the weird monk who tried to fight her earlier. She thinks Jessica is to blame somehow, and then she's shocked to see Jessica.
Speaker 1: On the news.
Speaker 3: She's the guest weather person and still just politicking for votes. Wendy screams into a pillow.
Speaker 1: She is doomed.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, her evil deity brother Peter returns home clearly on a mission, but Wendy now has a security guard. It's Shen himself, meditating and guarding the front door. The brother's vibe alarms him, so he sneaks in to take a look inside and sees Evil Deity Peter holding a green orb right above Wendy as she's sleeping. Shen quickly glides straight up two stories, defying all lives of gravity. And this is where you get real crouching tiger, hidden dragon kind of vibes, which is totally cool. Shen storms in just as the Orb starts stealing Wendy's spirit and glides onto a nearby piano, turns in a spinning back kick and knocks the ball out of Evil Peter's hands.
Speaker 1: This is so cool.
Speaker 3: The Orb flies into a fish aquarium and extinguishes. Shen holds up his own glowing item, which is a golden coin, but it does nothing to Evil Peter. The two men trade kicks and slaps. All why Wendy stays asleep on the couch. Great moves in choreography once again, and all the stunt work on wires is really cool. They're exchanging blows, great choreography. It's seriously like high level kung Fu movie magic in a D comedy.
Speaker 2: It was it was like, oh my gosh. Like again, you're kind of going, you're bracing yourself, like, how's.
Speaker 1: Disney gonna do this bad?
Speaker 2: And you're going, oh my gosh, this looks amazing.
Speaker 1: It looks great. It looks five million dollars.
Speaker 2: You couldn't have asked for more with obviously knowing still the Disney budget it or the Channel budget and I mean even just the stunt people themselves were obviously so high quality, Like, you know, it was just so good.
Speaker 3: Everybody clearly knew what they were doing. Yeah, did you wish you could have done this in Cheetah Girls? Oh my gosh, wire working martial arts while singing strut?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, well I don't know if struck could have gotten to a better level than.
Speaker 1: It was, but that's absolutely true. You know, maybe you're you're romantic.
Speaker 2: Dancing bumped up a bit.
Speaker 3: It's your romantic dancing where you're making out with what's his name? Oh, you could just wire work it and then break into a martial arts fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe.
Speaker 1: Anyway, during the.
Speaker 3: Fight, Shan kicks the orb and it disintegrates, and when he uses the glowing Golden coin this time the spirit transfers from.
Speaker 1: Peter to the family dog. The end.
Speaker 3: By the way, this is these were people that absolutely watched the movie The Hidden.
Speaker 1: The animal slithers outside through a dog.
Speaker 3: Okay, so The Hidden just very quickly it is about it's an it's it's so good. Kyle McLaughlin plays a cop, at least you think he's a cop, and he's chasing this criminal who keeps like stealing bank robberies, stealing cars, shooting people. But it's all these different regular citizens that all of a sudden just start going haywire and killing all these people. And what you find out is it's actually an alien inhabiting different bodies and jumping from body to body.
Speaker 1: And Kyle McLaughlin's another alien inhabiting.
Speaker 3: A cop who's been chasing this alien criminal through different planets.
Speaker 2: I'm already confused.
Speaker 1: Great dog, it gets it. I'm not gonna give anything away.
Speaker 2: Just go watch the movie.
Speaker 1: Fine, you'll be fine.
Speaker 3: The animal slithers outside the doggy door, and when Peter comes in, Shen is nowhere to be found. We see that he's hiding on the ceiling and I need to have this scene find its way into the rewindis for best fight scene, because it's was great. There are several scenes in this movie that could have to be up there for best fighters.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we got to have a whole category. I am hoping there's another dcon.
Speaker 1: That has some fights. If not, just automatically give him yeah.
Speaker 2: Because it's three other what fight scenes?
Speaker 3: How about in what we just talked to Marcus told you about it, the movie where the bullies come and beat him up in front of the bus stop. That was a toothless toothless there you go, So we can put this up with the toothless fight scene and see which one is better. The next morning, Wendy's mom details her upcoming ancient Chinese exhibit, of which she knows nothing about, and how it involves the story of evil spirit yan Lo. Apparently every ninety years his spirit returns. Wendy's mad at her brother, who's still asleep, because she woke up with some gold coin necklace around her that he must have put on her when she was out.
Speaker 2: She can know that it's not he.
Speaker 3: It's first of all, you ruin it by calling it a necklace. It's obviously an ancient mythical medallion. It's calling this a necklace is like calling a cookie a pastry.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: So, then Wendy notices a picture of the Gingy Temple monks in her mom's workpile. It takes back fifteen hundred years, yet somehow I think was still in color, but Wendy recognizes his look from her was the picture in color?
Speaker 1: I think it was?
Speaker 3: Which I was like, how is it a fifteen hundred year old photograph first of all, which didn't exist, and second of.
Speaker 1: All a photographed in color from fifteen hundred years ago.
Speaker 3: Interesting, it takes back fifteen hundred years like he's a polaroid. Well, I'm sorry, it's because everybody sees.
Speaker 1: It does see that.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 3: This is a picture from ten thousand years ago. But Wendy recognizes this look from her encounter with Shen. She leaves without even taking the five hundred vote for me cupcakes she worked on all night. And there's nothing I hate more in films than wasting coupies.
Speaker 1: So unbelievable out So I'm gonna drop it a point just for that.
Speaker 3: Outside, Shen is standing in a tree watching Wendy leave. Once she's gone, he rushes into the house to recover the coin, only to find her grandmother holding it. She knows but it represents, and asks if Wendy is a warrior. Shen says yes, then takes the necklace and promises to protect her with her life. It's a very nice scene. Meanwhile, Wendy is walking to school. When she's off at a ride from her friends, Shen rushes over, yelling at her to wear the coin, and she's instantly freaked out and rightfully so, telling her friends to take off. Shen steals a kid's scooter and uses it to catch up with the car to stop light, which I found interesting because he has super speed, so why did he need to do that? But anyway, he grabs onto the tail light and the girls drag him for blocks up to top speed, eventually Fish telling him off and launching him twenty feet into a bush. Wendy and her friends agree, let's just pretend that never happened, and now it's time for pe class and Jessica and Wendy are duking it out on the soccer field. Eventually, Wendy takes over as goalie, and we see Shen sitting alone in the stands, you know, like Shen does because there's often monks just hanging out in soccer practice. Wendy makes her way downfield and gets a wide open look at Jessica and the goal.
Speaker 1: It's a stare down.
Speaker 3: As Wendy preps her kick, she flips the ball into the air, does like a ten eighty flippy bicycle kick kind of thing straight at Jessica and kicks her right in the stomach with the ball and she Flois into the back of the net and it's a goal.
Speaker 1: People. Wendy has no idea how she did that, but her friends think that that little petit coming.
Speaker 3: And on the other side of campus, Wendy's evil family dog arrives at school ooh, and goes straight to mister Noon in the principal's office. And when he goes to pet the stray dog, which I was at first, I was like, who's gonna do that? And I was like, I would. I'd just go down and pet a random stray dog at my door. So that's totally truss for me. Hell, yes, I would. I love dogs, So I'd be like, Hi.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with you? Why are you at my door? Do you need to come in? Here's my wallet? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I absolutely would, And then we get glowing eyes and it's yet another spirit transfer. Uh oh, it's the hidden Also, Shen finds Wendy, who is now contemplating her kick power in the stands. He tells her she's in danger and she must wear the coin. Wendy just doesn't get it. Who is this guy and why was he at her house? He explains he traveled from far and it's her destiny to help He knows all about her and about her mysterious and allegedly has been reincarnated repeatedly to protect warriors from Yanglo's spirit as the next descendant. If she doesn't defeat the evil spirit, earthquakes, locusts, tornadoes, famines, ocean rising, fire, droughts, everything will appear. It's essentially the end of the world. Her kung fu training must start now, but instead she leaves with her friends for the ball. I was like, dude, you were.
Speaker 1: Just told the world's gonna end, but you're gonna go shopping. Come on.
Speaker 3: Later on the phone, she tells her friends that Shen is her cousin from China, and as a result, her friends come up with a very racist idea. They'll wright vote for Wendy on a bunch of chopsticks and hand them out at lunch. Wendy, of course, says, hey, guys, that's pretty much blatantly racist.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding. She doesn't say that.
Speaker 3: Instead, she finds Shed in her door again, yapping about the coin and the necklace.
Speaker 1: Again, Wendy's had enough.
Speaker 3: She reminds him she never agreed to train, then tells him to go away that night, as Shen is still perched outside watching over the house. Wendy's grandma covers him with a blanket and brings the necklace in and places it on Wendy before him, and then it's the next morning.
Speaker 1: Wendy throws it right back at Schen.
Speaker 3: She's not wearing this thing, dude, Just walk away, And as she arrives at school for another day, the evil deity principle is waiting for her in the parking lot. Shen notices and jumps right into action. He sprints to the teacher and takes him down. And by him, I mean a stunt man in a gray wig who looks like the principal.
Speaker 1: Go posit. It's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Shen also uses the coin, which again transfers the spirit from the principal to a bald teacher named mister Medina.
Speaker 1: Luckily no wig was needed for him.
Speaker 3: Wendy reunites with her boyfriend Austin our favorite, and another teacher, Mister Tobias, quickly reminds them that public displays of affection are not tolerated. And we've talked about this a little bit on Podmeats World, but I don't think we have talked about this here. Were kids allowed to just blatantly make out in high school in your hallways.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was necessarily like allowed to, but they did, like they were never.
Speaker 1: Like broken up, like hey, you guys stop kissing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if a teacher came around, they would, okay, they know if I think if the teacher came around and they were making out, like and the teacher, the kids usually stopped. If the kids didn't stop, the teacher would be like, hey, all right, let's break it up up. But it wasn't like like let me massive like nothing like that. And also dances, I think were the only time that the chaperones. The chaperones would come in and kind of go all right, that was enough when like dancing was happening at like the dances. Now the kids don't.
Speaker 1: In case it got dirty dancing, like sexy dirty dancing.
Speaker 2: I mean, they weren't dancing like that, but like yeah.
Speaker 3: Like bump, come on, say it, let's walk me through it, s Rita, I want your face matches your shirt, so keep going. Come on, what kind of sexy dances are you talking about? Are we talking to Jersey Turnpike and what do you t working wasn't.
Speaker 2: A thing when I was in high school. But I feel like maybe it was like bumping and grind, okay, you know where it was like the girls are in front and you're you're popping it, you're popping it, You're popping it right and popping it. The boys are back there and you know, like it's for all right, I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the best. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was cool enough to even attend those things.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember, please or whatever.
Speaker 3: We all know that you're selling Oreo pastry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know that's what Honestly, the girls and the kids don't even go to the dance anymore.
Speaker 1: They literally get.
Speaker 2: The dresses, get all dolled up, take pictures, get on a party bus, and then never even go to the dance at all.
Speaker 1: And their kids aren't drinking anymore here or having sex with them. What the hell are they doing?
Speaker 2: Vaping? I guess that's like the thing, But like they they're literally they're literally just like taking the party bus wherever it goes, maybe to dinner or whatever, and like that's it. They don't even It makes me so sad, especially like my seniors like you guys don't even go to the dance and like have the like at least like a slow dance or a moment with your girls where you're just like, no, they don't.
Speaker 1: It's a weird. Kids are weird, just the way it.
Speaker 2: Is now, I'm depressed.
Speaker 1: No, that's right, you'll be you'll have fun at my problem.
Speaker 2: I know I can't wait, and I'm it's going to be so much money you wait to watch you drop it, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh, dude, it's gonna be so hot, it's going to be dropped you watch. Speaking of so hot, Austin has some news. The San Francisco modeling agency submitted his photos to call his pictures eighties Retro, which he's like, is that good, but obviously is not.
Speaker 1: Then Shed appears, still with the coin.
Speaker 3: Now to make sure Austin is an evil, Wendy sends him off to the bathroom to check for spirits, mostly just to ditch them so she can talk to Austin.
Speaker 1: About going to Maria's party.
Speaker 3: Austin's excited to go, especially because he thinks they're going to end up homecoming King and Queen. Then dozens of women come screaming out of the bathroom, Shen has declared their toilet is safe. Jessica sees this all go down and is very petty and passive aggressive and has some bad news. Wendy is suspended from any extracurricular activity, including homecoming court, because their grade average is below a sea thanks to world history, and I was like, wow, we've got a Disney star of a movie that's a bad student. So with midterms in a week and no knowledge of China, she is absolutely screwed, except Shen says he can help. He knows everything about Chinese history and will tutor her as long as she starts taking kung fu and wears the coin. And she accepts the offer at the perfect time because bad evil deity mister Media is about to pounce, but thanks to the coin, the spirit is now transferred to somebody new, the school gardener. And I couldn't believe it took us forty minutes, but we get our first cong fu training montage, this time with Lilith Fair style music in the background. Shen teaches Wendy moos, but she's taken phone calls neat and potato chips mid lesson and when it's time to learn these fifteen hundred years of Chinese history. She tells her all she has to do is meditate, which sure seems like an odd lesson for kids watching. Knowing that this is her only chance, she agrees and ends up liking it. She does it in class, at home, and at lunch, and thanks to all the hard work, if you can call it just meditating hard work, she gets an a because now she knows everything, apparently without cracking a book, and it's now eligible for Homecoming Queen.
Speaker 1: They really blew past that.
Speaker 3: While celebrating, she roundhouse kicks a kid named Todd, and she's either becoming a kung fu master or just assaulting random classmates without warning. We're not really sure either way. It's a fun movie, but Shen likes what he sees. Her skills are coming along nicely, but she needs more training. Wendy gets it, but she has Homecoming Queen to worry about, and though evil is on his way, she is busy being a teenage girl. At home, Wendy is catching a vote for me self portrait, and now I'm wondering if she draws anything other than pictures of herself. Wendy's grandmother admits that she misses China, especially her grandpa's old stories. She highlights one tale about a young girl again named Mio Shen, who trains to become a Yin warrior every ninety years. Wendy immediately recognizes the story and then Shin walks into the room. It's obvious that they're working together. Grandma calls the tradition and honor. Wendy's mom gets home from work and is surprised to see this monk in her home. Everybody's like, hey, there's just a monk here. That night, Shen joins family dinner, now disguise as a visiting great grandnephew. He bonds with Wendy's mom over her upcoming I think it's kin dynasty exhibit, which he offers to help with. He also promises Peter he'll teach him some kung fu, starting with a move he calls monkey jumps over the wall. Shen also made traditional mooncakes for the family, but Wendy's dad is clearly affected. He kind of believes everything is getting too culturally Chinese for him, and he retreats upstairs. And I literally paused right here and looked up exactly the process for making a mooncake and what they're filled with and all that stuff, and I so want to try one because they sou they look so good. I mean, yeah, just looked really good. Later, Wendy's talking to a friend on the phone about Shen. It seems like the way he dresses could affect her homecoming queen chances, which Wendy thinks is dumb, but she still takes Shen to the mall for a new wardrobe and we get another. This was a very weird montage, the shopping for cool Fedoras.
Speaker 1: It was like it was just a hat montage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turned into like one of the outfit and then at some point it was just hat Fedora like.
Speaker 1: Just and sunglasses and him just spinning.
Speaker 3: And by this by the third minute of spinning the sixty seconds.
Speaker 1: It's somewhere maybe one less kangle.
Speaker 3: Hat uh and or avril like from there.
Speaker 2: And kind of like for what like it just was like just get him.
Speaker 1: It didn't.
Speaker 2: You're you have a brother that literally looks like the same size. Just grab a T shirt and paras.
Speaker 1: It didn't. This was this was a strange pnd.
Speaker 3: Yes, back at home, Whendy's dad gave in and ate the delicious mooncakes.
Speaker 1: He didn't mean to be rude to Shen. It just made him feel like a kid again.
Speaker 3: And since he knows he's turned his back on his own culture, it made and feel guilty. But Chenn's reminded him he wants to be a Chinese American family, not just an American family.
Speaker 1: And I thought this was.
Speaker 3: Really nice and a really interesting way of showing the culture. How it's like you can forget your own culture when you become you go somewhere else and you assimilate and you become part of that culture, and sometimes you can kind of forget where.
Speaker 1: You came from. And I thought it was a really interesting way of showing that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's always nice to like realize, like yes, embrace where you are now, but like don't let go of where you came from.
Speaker 1: Matters and them together.
Speaker 2: That's, you know, what this country's supposed to be about is exactly the other, everything together and finding a way that it's all okay, it's all good.
Speaker 1: I agree, So yeah, I thought that was great and great forgids.
Speaker 2: Great messaging.
Speaker 3: Yes, another good message, Another good message at school. Wendy bumps into Austin who got Blonde? Highlights for homecoming. I love this guy.
Speaker 1: He the best. He suggests they stay.
Speaker 3: Away from Shen because people are starting to talk, but Wendy fights back and defends the monk just as he enters the hallway, yelling vote for Wendy.
Speaker 1: But now he's in some very cool clothes and the ladies are flocking to him. Austin is already jealous that Shen went from monk to hunk.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 3: That night, Shen admits he liked the attention. She thanks him for adapting, and he eats a chocolate cupcake for the first time in any of his lives. Wendy brings up girlfriends from his past, and he admits he'd never had one.
Speaker 1: He's a monk.
Speaker 3: Wendy also reveals she's never been in love. She's only with Austin because people say they look cute together and it'll help her win homecoming Queen Wow. The biggest reveal is that Shen will never return home. His destiny is to sacrifice himself during the battle and die, and they just threw that out there. It's like, man, this is amazing chocolate. I've never had chocolate. I'm here to die. It was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Are you okay about that?
Speaker 3: Like, since came on it flavor chocolate head's gonna be ripped off.
Speaker 1: I mean so weird.
Speaker 2: Does it worry you at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Paused any point, you're just gonna throw yourself in front of like is it gonna be a car?
Speaker 1: Doesn't care. He's like, Wow, this cupcakes amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be stabbed in the heart, Like, oh my god, now I very depressed.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: He says that his destiny is to sacrifice himself during the battle to die. A depressed Wendy suggests that maybe his teenage experience should last a little longer, and so brings him to a dance party at this get together, which of course takes place at the break of two pm, apparently because that's what all the best dance parties are. Girls again are all horned up for Shan, and as a result, Wendy's getting a little jealous. Austin is also mad Wendy was supposed to meet up with him and do some campaigning, and as a result.
Speaker 1: She breaks up with him.
Speaker 3: On the same day, homeboy got highlights?
Speaker 1: How good?
Speaker 2: I just got highlight?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Frosted tipssty.
Speaker 3: Boom dropping me popping it like it's hot or whatever Sabrina said when she was bright red.
Speaker 1: And out on the dance floor.
Speaker 3: Shen is showing off his kung fu flips and splits and he's killing it. Wendy sees a girl kiss him on the cheek, and now she's very sure she wants to bang her cousins. He's not actually her cousin, but that's the story. In a fit of rage, and then the whole time I'm watching going.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, that's right, they're not cousins. Get out of your hand.
Speaker 3: They put that in your like, yeah, this isn't clueless where nobody cared that she ended up with her stepbrother at the end. So in a fit of rage, she throws her coin necklace into a chip bowl and storms out. But that was a bad move because one of the girls at the party, Tory, appears to be the evil deity. Now over by the pool, Wendy is crying when Tory appears clearly possessed inside. Shen answers thinly veiled racist questions from other students, like do you know yoomin.
Speaker 1: Billy and people in China? But of course he's going to know that guy.
Speaker 3: And right when Wendy is about to confide in Tori, she reveals the big green, glowing orb.
Speaker 1: Her spirit is in danger.
Speaker 3: Shen sees the coin in the chip bowl and knows he's got to help Wendy. He jumps over the pool and kicks the ball out of Tory's hands just in time. Wendy then kicks Tory and the orb into the pool, creating a massive hot tub. All the party goers excitedly jump in, and Wendy knows she must complete her training. Jessica takes a picture of the soaking wet Tory to embarrass her in the yearbook, and as a result, the evil deity transfers to Jessica. And this was another problem I had. And again we're talking about nipicking. But why when you put the orbit into the pool does it bubble like it's going crazy? But when he knocked the orbit into the fish tank, there was no bubbling in it.
Speaker 2: None. It's yeah, this is the thing. And I knew you were going to pick it apart. I will tell you right now. I didn't care. But the rules were not designated.
Speaker 1: No, no, no rules, no.
Speaker 2: Anything. But like truly, I now no, because watch or with you there must be rolls.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and they weren't, and I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't want to be the guy harping on it.
Speaker 1: But again, what exactly does the necklace do?
Speaker 2: What does and what does the green ball do?
Speaker 3: The green or the green ball, I think is supposed to take her soul, but it doesn't say why the necklace.
Speaker 1: He just holds it up and then the person kind of goes ah. But then they don't instantly transfer to another body who they.
Speaker 2: In any sense?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Also, if it doesn't matter who you are or why you're there, why doesn't the evil body just take over shen?
Speaker 2: Yes, well yeah, maybe did because he didn't have one of them, like if it made it would have made more sense if he had.
Speaker 3: You just need a scene of him saying I can do like, this is what it means, this is what the monks exactly, this can't do it right, exactly.
Speaker 2: Mommy, the floor's lava. How are you walking? I'm like, because I've got mommy powers, Like the floor's not lava. To mommies, you just explain everywhere I go.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I gotta become a mommy because my floor's lava and I can't get out of this room.
Speaker 2: But there has to be rules or an explanation.
Speaker 1: Cliirs, thank you, I just needed ones.
Speaker 3: Let's take out four minutes of cupcake talk and add four minutes of rules, and we've got a better film. But luckily, Wendy's jumped into full karate mode. It's time for her final lesson, and Shen reveals those deadly venom statues from earlier. He explains that the missing dragon represents invincibility, and then it magically peers as a tattoo on his arm, which again, you could have explained a little better.
Speaker 1: She also never gets one, which she should have.
Speaker 3: The statues then bring ancestor ghosts to life in the park, causing absolutely nobody walking by to freak out in any way, shape or form. Why are you doing this in the middle of a whole bunch of people. There are plenty of places you could go. Why not do this somewhere else? But okay, but Wendy can't learn to fight from these random dead monks. They've done nothing wrong to her, and she finds it very awkward. So Shen possesses the spirit of Wendy's means soccer coach, her principal, the teacher who hates public makeout sessions and mister Medina to teach her. So this puts Wendy at ease, where now she can fight her teachers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this just oddball gang.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is weird. Give her a group of four friends that were her age. Tell me you wouldn't want to see Frosted Tips guy as one of the monks teaching her, Like, I mean, why not put people her own age, making the old I get what they were doing, but it was this to me was a little strange from practicing in the park to now it's your teachers teaching you.
Speaker 1: And that doesn't make you uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Nobody in the park, none of your friends, Nobody notices that you're martial artsing out with all of your teachers.
Speaker 2: And teachers that don't look It's not like the pe teacher idea or soccer but like, yes, your prince.
Speaker 3: African American teacher looked fine, but the big, heavy set white guy is walking on a fence.
Speaker 1: Nobody's going to notice any of this.
Speaker 3: So anyway, yes, so they put her at ease somehow, and she masters some amazing moves as a result. This training montage and some pretty funny scenes of stuffy white teachers doing incredible Karadi moves, and it ends with her defeating all of them with a stick. Wendy is ready to celebrate with Shen's first cappuccino. Also, we noticed that Wendy's grandma was secretly watching on and she of course is very happy and very proud. And then Shen's phone rings with some very good news. Her friend Lisa is on the voting committee and Wendy has one homecoming queen. This gives Wendy an idea. What if Shen is her date to the dance, but he says he can't go. He already has a date with death and it's tomorrow. Wendy realizes this big battle is going to be at homecoming. Wendy is furious. Why did Shen hide this from her? Of course she gives up homecoming immediately to save the world. Nope, that's not what happens. And over at the museum, Jessica, Remember Jessica, who was the evil Nemesis, has turned into the Lord of Darkness to awaken the Stone Soldiers. These are the soldiers that were sent by China for that Chinese cultural exhibit of it that her mother is in charge of and knows nothing about. Then, of course, the exactly what did you just get this job? You're a museum curator, you're also Chinese. The useless security guard who does not locked doors thinks it's justice, stomach grumbling from indigestion at first, then runs away when he sees the building army. At home, Wendy is getting ready for homecoming when her grandmother offers her her family heirloom robe for the upcoming battle, but Wendy.
Speaker 1: Explained she's not going to go to battle.
Speaker 3: She's always wanted to be homecoming queen, not a warrior, and her grandmother says, are.
Speaker 1: You kidding me?
Speaker 3: You have to go save the world, not go to some dumb dance at your high school. Nope, not what says her grandmother actually says she respects her decision and then leaves. Back at the museum, shehn is a I have to confront Jessica and the soldiers. He's ready for battle, but quickly learns this army is too much for him. We get some more really great kung fu fighting scenes before we see Wendy lee for the dance. She reminds her mom and dad to arrive before halftime because that's when she'll be crowned. And so I'm confused again having not been in high school for forty two years and also never being there for the senior year. It's a homecoming game, right the homecoming so you have a game and then it has a time the homecoming court is crowned, and then there's a dance.
Speaker 2: So typically, of course, I'm just judging off of my experience and now what I see with the team that I coach in the high schools that surround my area. Homecoming game is usually on the Friday before the dance, homecoming assembly, like they usually have like a pep rally during the school day where the king gets announced, and then at homecoming the halftime show is when they announced the queen. But then the dance is then there's a dance, separate day. Okay, the game, like the dance can't start at ten. The dance is like a different day. It's the Saturday after this right here, Disney.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, they're trying to put it all.
Speaker 2: I got it like somewhat do it all together, but like to say, like so the thing is too parents aren't the dance so like they get if your kids on the court, they get to be there. The dad usually walks them and has a The parents get to be a part of it, but like the dance, they're not there.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there for any of that either way, anyway.
Speaker 2: Either way, I know it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I wouldn't have I can promise you that either way. When she opens the door to leave, the possessed teachers are waiting for her, there's still the monks and have a message the Hour of Evil as she appreciates their confidence, but she's sorry. She has a date with her Tiara. Yes, she's gonna let us all die so she can become homecoming queen in high school. But when she finds out Shen is already in battle alone, she knows she has to do something. Back at the museum, the awesome fight scene rages on. Jessica slam Shen into a box that explodes with what I can only imagine where white Christmas lights and firecrackers. He's still able to fend them off, and he's doing it.
Speaker 1: It really is good.
Speaker 3: It's good fight scenes, but Jessica and more specifically the stunt person wearing a blonde wig, clearly has the upper hand that and pause it it's fun, I know.
Speaker 1: Now thrown to the ground, the soldiers surround Shen.
Speaker 3: He is finally trapped, and Justice Jessica announces that evil is victorious. The teachers arrive, now calling themselves the Leopard, the Snake, the Crane, and the Tiger, and the final element storms in. It's Wendy as the Yan Warrior, still in her homecoming dress. She's shocked to see the final face of Yang lo Is Jessica, but springs into action. She tends to an injury. She tends to an injured Shen as the teachers fight the army. Once Shen is taken care of, Wendy and could go to battle with the movie's best fight sequence so far, and just as Wendy looks outmatched, the final piece of the puzzle arrives. It's Wendy's grandmother with the robe, the heirloom. So of course she stops mid fight to change. And now she comes back, and now she's ready. Hope, time out, time out. I've got to put on a different outfit. The rumble, get an evils like you got it. You've got five minutes.
Speaker 1: Take a breath. What do you guys do? What's everybody up to? Let's just take take a second and let her change.
Speaker 3: The rumble continues and the teachers are starting to defeat the soldiers for good, turning them back into little rocks. We get an insane move here where Wendy hangs herself sideways off a tall shelf and Jessica jumps up to kick her. And if you pause the movie during this fight, really, at any point you'll see an Asian man wearing a wig fighting.
Speaker 1: But I again, like you, at this point, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Any care no matter who it is, though, Wendy summons, oh, this was the coolest, and I went, hi, you can?
Speaker 1: Did you know what it is? Okay a minute? You know a street fighter too?
Speaker 2: By white watch Wendy Woo's a freaking stream fighter. Why didn't we talk about this earlier?
Speaker 3: She full on throws a fireball like ryu hi hu can and I just want to turn to do that. Oh god, it was so cool, and uh yeah, throws it so neat at Jessica. In a final move, it surrounds her body and reveals the true glowing spirit of Yang Lo.
Speaker 1: He quickly disappears and Jessica returns to reality.
Speaker 3: Everyone on Wendy's team, including a still living Shen bow in respect. Wendy tells Jessica she's found something more important than winning Homecoming Queen and tells her to hurry up. It's her crown to win, so Jessica leaves. Everyone celebrates the big win, but just as they're leaving, a stone soldier recovers and becomes the almighty yang Loo himself.
Speaker 1: Shen might not be safe after all.
Speaker 3: Yanglo quickly takes care of the teachers without even breaking a sweat, and Shen reveals this is the first time that yen Lo has actually shown up to fight, so without any knowledge of what to do, they're thrown to the side with every attack. Yen Lo now holds Shen by the neck to steal his and Wendy screams let him go, but Shen reminds her this is his destiny.
Speaker 1: But Wendy's grandmother still has hope.
Speaker 3: She tells Wendy to show yen Low everything she's learned, and with that, Wendy locks in. She begins to calmly, glow and levitate, then shoots lasers at yen Low. He screams in pain and is thrown backwards into another box filled with Christmas lights and firecrackers. Wendy catches Shen midfall, saving him from a terrible backache, but Shen is unresponsive and yen Lo has somehow recovered and stomping towards the cousin couple.
Speaker 1: He demands that Shen die.
Speaker 3: Wendy tries her hardest, but she can't save him. But she once again focuses her energy to his chest, and eventually we hear a heartbeat. Shen opens his eyes and returns to the fight, teaming up with Wendy for a duel kick, killing yen Low once and for Wendy has officially changed destiny. The teacher monks are thrilled that yen Lo is defeated and dead, for they think ever and acknowledge that something bigger than tradition has just happened. The monks announced that this will be Shen's final life. They encourage him to live it well and stay in California, where he's just unfortunately out of nowhere for the first time in his life, being taxed to the hill gas is expensive. He's like, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm out of California. Forget that.
Speaker 3: With that, the monks as send from their teachers' bodies, leaving everyone very confused.
Speaker 1: But Grandma invites everyone over for mooncakes, and just like.
Speaker 3: That, it's party time. But instead of mooncakes, Shin wants something a little less ancient Chinese and a little more well Italian American. I guess he wants a cappuccino. The possible lovers, who are also maybe now cousins but don't really know, and now awkwardly Nukes explained to the entire school how they're not really cousins, run off together.
Speaker 1: And that's our movie. Oh, Sabrina, let's do some real reviews.
Speaker 2: Okay, you get the five star this week?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: I got the five star and it is by our old friend unamous back and his review or her review or their review read as such. It's kind of a Disney version of kill Bill, but you know, with no blood. But it's a fresh, new and interesting idea for a Disney Channel film.
Speaker 1: Five stars.
Speaker 3: Don't disagree, don't disagree. What do you got, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: I don't like this review. I don't like it. It's a one star from Yaki seven giggling.
Speaker 1: It's just the name, I know, A rare double threat.
Speaker 2: The movie ends with both racism and misogyny.
Speaker 3: One Star than seven, Yes, I disagree frankly, and uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There was some racism in the movie.
Speaker 2: There was especially was there a misogyny.
Speaker 3: I mean, I thought was kind of girl empowering, wasn't it. I didn't see any misogyny. I definitely saw some racist tendency.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, and I think that that's it's, you know, again, Disney taking on something, taking on a culture take. You're gonna you're gonna get these outsider looks into, you know, things that you play into, especially when you know you have to kind of keep it lighthearted and things that people. I mean, I didn't see it as terrible, as though somebody who was sensitive to that probably would see things a little bit harsher. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing with like we're gonna write We're gonna write vote for You on Chop six was like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, but in two thousand and six, isn't how it reads, And that's what we're saying.
Speaker 1: It's a different six. It's different exactly. You know, I don't know when this time was twenty years old.
Speaker 2: Twenty years old, yeah.
Speaker 3: And twenty years from now we are doing something or saying something that is completely and totally normal and legitimized.
Speaker 1: Now that's going to.
Speaker 3: Be horrifying twenty fear or twenty years Yes, just the way that just the way it works.
Speaker 1: I don't know how as a culture.
Speaker 2: Somebody please chime in. Like when I think of like the one of my I love the song it mainly just because it's got such like a like a beat, but like the everybody was come fight Like, is that is that now something that like if you start kind.
Speaker 1: Of probably if you dissect it, right.
Speaker 2: But at the time, that's like a that's a jam, that's that's bop like right, But and I love that song. I think it's got such like a like bounce to it, the beat everything, But like again, now we are needing needing to look into more of how it's coming across and who it affects.
Speaker 3: Right, We also need to take things for the time that they were put out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is twenty years ago. Yeah, so we've got to be okay with it. But you know what we don't have.
Speaker 3: To be okay with is constantly losing our feature game, which is your favorite part of the program.
Speaker 1: And this week, who do we have with us this week? Who are we playing with this week? You have Michaela, Michaela, Here we go.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: Mikayla.
Speaker 3: Oh it sounds a little bit like like your name here because the feature this week is McCall McCall, not McKay, McCall yay or McCall no. So to celebrate a great performance from Disney Legend Friend's song, to do it no nothing whatsoever, nothing whatsoever, Thank you, producer Jensen so Yes. To celebrate a great performance from Disney Legend Brenda song, we wanted to play a game that centers around the man who can call her his better half, macaulay.
Speaker 1: Culkin, lucky bastard.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be given a possible fact about the Home Alone star and we have to decide if they are true or false by calling them mccallier or pacall no McCalla. This is terrible. Three out of five correct ones wins. Number one mccaullay Culkin got married at age seventeen. He did right not to her, but didn't he have one marriage at like seventeen.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say mccaullyer, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna say mccallyer too true.
Speaker 2: You guys are correct.
Speaker 3: And number two he was in a rock band called The Pizza Underground, taking songs by the Velvet Underground and remixing them with lyrics about pizza. McCall, I'm gonna say McCall no too. But this is gonna be another one of those where all he's are right, McCall.
Speaker 1: No, true, it's it, Oh god, it is.
Speaker 3: It's They're all gonna be true again. He's gonna do it to us again.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Number three he once sold Val Kilmer a rare twenty thousand dollars Nintendo game.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say yes.
Speaker 1: False. Oh it was. That's probably finally all right.
Speaker 3: Number four His godfather is legendary New York pop artist Andy Warhol.
Speaker 1: Was he alive?
Speaker 3: Andy Warhol died in eighty six, so I guess Mack would have been alive.
Speaker 1: Then Mac, McAll it. It's what people call him.
Speaker 2: You call him back? Did he tell you to call him mac?
Speaker 1: Everyone calls him.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I worked with this brother. I did it, did a show with with with his brother first. Oh my gosh, I didn't go fish on NBC with Kieren. Uh. I'm gonna say McCall no, McCall, yay.
Speaker 2: Sabrina's right. False.
Speaker 1: Okay, you kind of thank God for that one.
Speaker 3: And number five, McCauley bought Marilyn Manson his first pack of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: We haven't had a ya in a while. Mccaullyer.
Speaker 2: That seems wild, maccaullyer, I guess it's true.
Speaker 1: Wow. So Sabrina won and I think I lost. Unbelievable. Can we do a Sabrina sees please?
Speaker 2: All right, Sabrina seas. There's not much that I saw that was imperfect.
Speaker 1: I loved anything was perfect.
Speaker 2: It was perfect. The Hoco comment from the coach threw me off a little bit, like it felt like the in general and again, like you said, with the fighting in general, the like adult child contact or respect level and just the like the you're a kid and I'm an adult, like that whole thing throughout the dynamic that was very off to me, Like the coach, I can't, I just was. I just wrote down comment and I'm trying. I wish. I think I thought I was gonna remember it. But it was like something about Hoko and it was like the Hoko and it was just like it was weird that an adult would say that to a kid, Like there was a lot of things that kind of and then when they morph in and now they're fighting and it makes more sense for her to fight these like adults. Like the dynamics were very strange throughout the movie. To me, they just kind of kept hitting me going like.
Speaker 1: It seem right.
Speaker 2: That happened quite a bit. The locked door, it was my number one.
Speaker 1: Lock the door, not locking doors. Unlock the door. You didn't lock again.
Speaker 2: I talked about the like getting triggered by like stranger danger. It did. I was wrong when I was talking about it earlier. It did end up in that, but like the initial aspect of like not freaking out, it was like what are you doing instead of being like.
Speaker 1: Get out of my house? Strange persons that really hit me.
Speaker 2: There was the Hero song. The movie had some very significant we didn't This wasn't discussed at all, but the songs that were throughout this movie.
Speaker 1: Were just some of them are weird.
Speaker 2: But it was of the time that the channel had the ability and the the reach for great producers, and this movie could have had some epic Like the score of this movie could have been so much bigger. And that was a little bit of augh.
Speaker 3: People sometimes don't know how expensive music can be.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: So if you've got a five million dollar budget and you're already shooting in Auckland, New Zealand, they might have just not had the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good but I would say though, like the reach that the channel, like you're talking two thousand and six, right, this is towards the end of the Cheetah Girls. This is the height of camp rock. Like you've got producers at your fingertips. It was strange to me that, like I mean at the that that it wasn't a better score. It just it seemed But you're right, you do have to make choices when you're doing budgets. The age of these kids was a little like the driver's scene, the driving scene when the three of them are in By the way, did you like that car? I was like, Oh, I wonder if wil likes that car? Was it a good car?
Speaker 1: Because it's like, yeah, the powder Blue that's one of the cars.
Speaker 3: The convertible version of that car is one of the first cars I learned how to drive in a sixty seven muscles.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's a beautiful car. Beautiful I think I think it.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, he's going to talk about this car.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful car. It's a beautiful car.
Speaker 2: It's it's a great cars American sixteen yearl driver. No, did they.
Speaker 3: Look my brother one of my brother's first car. No way, it was sixteen same color too, But it.
Speaker 2: Was your parents buy your brother that car.
Speaker 3: No. My my parents always did the same thing with us, where for anything big like that, we had to earn half and they would match. Okay, that's so my brother, my brother earned money to buy this was beat on, but it was he loved it. So he had a sixty seven. Actually I think his was technician the succession. Oh yeah, the one was gorgeous. Yes, they're stunning, they're stunning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what's a must so gorgeous. Okay, So this car to me, for this age of a driver didn't match up either minute.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: And then at the end, what do we think his age was?
Speaker 3: I thought he was in his early fifties. No, I would have said, he's supposed to be playing twenty nineteen. Too old for a high school girl. Yes, but they don't do anything, they don't notice, they don't ever do anything.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't you think it was like leaned in on at the end that they're like now kind of like an actual couple.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: I I think also maybe what they were trying to do with the very opening scene of him fighting all the other guys and I'm putting putting the thing over no, no, because and he's like he put the thing over the other monk's head and they were kind of playing, is maybe showing that he's younger than we think. Yes, like he still has that kind of vibe. So maybe he's supposed to be the equivalent of high school too. He just never got to experience high school. But he's clearly the actor is clearly like in his twenties at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, And it reads that way like he was too old to have a love interest in this little girl.
Speaker 3: And notice she's the one who does the love interest stuff. He never even gives her a moment of seeing like he's interested, not a moment no yeah no.
Speaker 2: But she is Google eyed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that.
Speaker 3: Makes sense out there, aren't there a lot of sixteen seventeen year old girls that are Google eyed over twenty twenty one year old men.
Speaker 2: I would like for the channel to not lean into such things.
Speaker 3: Well, I like that they didn't the guy didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: No, but I also again, the end is the only part me that I was like, ooh, like it was like it fell a little Okay, we're really kind of leaning a little bit too much. However, the end one hundred percent. I know. We talked about this at the front of the show. The end alluded to there being a next chapter to this story.
Speaker 1: That's why. Well apparently there was supposed to be one and then it just disappeared.
Speaker 2: Love to do more research, so we need to get somebody from the movie to tell us the realness.
Speaker 3: Oh that's how you recognize him. Shinkoyamata was also in the Disney Channel Games.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, no, I yes, no, the yes, and he was he was, Yes, he was, he was, he was And this was around that that was the Disney Channel Games. Was the same era, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, No, you were also talking about the.
Speaker 2: Dad, the dad, but I don't remember where I found him remember him from?
Speaker 1: But it wasn't the Ki Kid, No, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: But the whole cast, by the way, super good looking. We didn't even talk about how great looking this gas was. The grandma was gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gorgeous woman like.
Speaker 2: Everyone was so pretty in this movie, even the even the you know, the arch Nemesis loved everyone. I thought they were great. Oh yeah, anyway, that was my last one. The was questionable to me.
Speaker 1: Luckily he didn't do anything, and.
Speaker 2: He was on what deem he was. He was on the green team, I think, and oh we kept going oh shen like, Oh, of course, it's got so much talent.
Speaker 3: See there you go great? Can we please rank our film? And I'm not even gonna mess around with it today. We're gonna we're gonna go from one to ten straight.
Speaker 2: Four.
Speaker 3: One is gonna be the lowest, ten is gonna be the highest. I don't have time. I can't I can't mess around our options this week one out of ten. Deadly venoms one out of ten. Unpackaged items from FedEx one out of ten. Bad security guards ceilings one out of ten, egotistical self portraits, cool fedoras, breakup hair highlights one out of ten. Thinly veiled racist questions, dance halftimes one.
Speaker 1: Out of ten.
Speaker 3: Christmas lights and firecracker boxes or my favorite one out of ten Kissing cousins.
Speaker 1: Which one you're trying to lock the door.
Speaker 3: You go that, Well, you've just picked it. There you go, Sabrina, So I believe is.
Speaker 1: It I go first?
Speaker 2: I think it's your turn.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's my turn. Okay.
Speaker 3: So I liked this movie. Again, I had problems with it. Certain things were weird and made no sense. But you're gonna have problems with every movie. But the idea of putting the the mystical kind of uh background to it and the whole history behind everything, the great wirework, martial arts, big fan of that stuff. Still had the high school thing. I really liked this movie.
Speaker 1: I just like you.
Speaker 3: I also am realizing that I can determine whether I like a movie by the fact if I can just sit there and watch the whole thing without having to pause it, walk out of the room, look at my phone, do other things, I can just sit there and watch the movie. And I could just sit there and watch this movie. Yes, So I'm going to give this and I think this is a pretty solid score. I'm going to give this an eight.
Speaker 1: Lock the Doors.
Speaker 3: For this film, and I think it's deserved. I think it was I think this was a fun movie all the way around. So I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am up there right there with you. Like I said, I was like hook line singer from.
Speaker 1: The get Like.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I was so happy. I didn't really, I guess, I mean, obviously somewhat have an idea of maybe what the movie will be, but I had no idea it was this good. I thought it was so great. I love Brenda's song, I love everything she does, the Queen, the Queen rains she does. She just lives to just do the best work for the channel. And I thought it was a great movie. I there's of course some funny, silly things that just are ridiculous, but I was there for it. I thought it was great for a kid movie to be that good. With the anime like the not animation, special effects, all of that. I thought it was great. I'm giving it a nine. What the.
Speaker 1: Love God, Love of God, Well, I love that. Well, thank you everybody for joining us. Go check this movie out. It was definitely worth it. So thanks everybody. Don't forget to join us next time.
Speaker 3: You can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. And uh, I'd also very much like to start some sort of petition or something so we can absolutely tell Sabrina that cookies and pastries are two completely different things. Like it's like apples and pastries, two completely different bakery. But that doesn't you could get soup at a bakery that doesn't doesn't necessarily make it, you know, a pastry.
Speaker 2: It's not before the area the window.
Speaker 1: I can't so anything in that window to you as pastry.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would be fine with it being called the pastry. You're the problem, will it's you? When you and there's cookies, it's a pastry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my god, that's wrong.
Speaker 3: It's normally everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but your opinions are just wrong. Oh my all right, well we'll see everybody next time, and please send all of your letters telling Sabrina why she's absolutely wrong to magical rewind pod at the Instagram machine.
Speaker 1: Thanks you.
Speaker 2: They actually message good, good, keep it up, or.
Speaker 1: Or that they're with me. Bye, Love you guys,