Speaker 1: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Higheart Radios.
Speaker 2: Katie at the Spa, I love this place.
Speaker 3: They also have the best Korean food there, oh really care about. Like I would spend all there and then go upstairs and you just order like like bowls of like brown rice and kim chi and.
Speaker 1: So delicious healthy, like super.
Speaker 3: Healthy, delicious healthy, Like I can't even get it. And a woman was like, does everyone ever tell you look like Quinn Perkins?
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus curse.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, I get that all the time. And she was like, whatever, You're way prettier than that girl.
Speaker 1: No. I used to in the beginning. I used to be like, bitch, bitch, I don't know, I don't see it. I used to in the beginning be like that's me, Yeah, I'm huck And then and then as the you know, the seasons would go on, I'd be like yeah, yeah, yeah, people, yeah, people tell me that, yeah, thanks, yeah, And then I'm just like I don't even engage. Yeah, and I've stopped doing yeah, I stopped doing the whole like what have I seen you in? Because I used to be like, well, a show called Scandal. I was on Weak and they'd be like no, no, no.
Speaker 2: And then I was like your resume, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And then you feel dumb because they're like, no, that's not it, and I'm like, now I don't do that anymore. I'm just like I don't know stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: I always got to saying like, no, you were at Beamon Park on a playdate, like I met you like in the sandbox, and I'm like, no, they can't put it together where they've seen me. But I look like such dogshit that there's no way that I could be like a Hollywood actor. It's like, no, you're that dumpy mom I saw. Oh my god. I feel like so much fucking happens in this episode. I can't even deal with it. But you know you probably feel that way because Huck wasn't in it, Munch and Quinn wasn't in it at all.
Speaker 1: Right, this is the first episode that we don't see Quinn.
Speaker 2: Right, Quinn is not in it.
Speaker 3: I remember getting a call, well, yeah, I remember getting a call from Shondas and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, every I'm getting fired. It's done. We're over. They figured it out.
Speaker 1: You guys, I.
Speaker 3: Suck, get me out of here, like like what the fuck? And she just was like, I just want to let you know, like you're not in next week's episode, but it's not. It's only because this it's mostly a you know, a flashback episode, and Quinn wasn't anywhere you know, you were in like fucking high school or whatever, like you know, you were in law school and no one gave a.
Speaker 2: Shit about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Remember being like wildly upset. Like of course, as an insecure actor, you're like, what.
Speaker 2: Did I do in the war? Yeah, they don't want me to be on there shoes.
Speaker 1: They're starting to weed me out, Like.
Speaker 3: I actually even like kind of remember like coming to the trailers anyway maybe and like lying like I needed to pick something up just to be like what's happening because I felt so out of the loop. But then cut to like my jaded ass now, which I'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, what the fuck that means? You're you're paid for a whole episode even week?
Speaker 1: Yes, what a dream?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, as we're talking about episode two eleven, called a Criminal, a Whore, an Idiot, and a Liar. It aired on January seventeenth of twenty thirteen, and.
Speaker 1: It was written by Mark Fish and directed by Stephen Cragg.
Speaker 3: Guest starring Vita Patil as President's doctor, Denorah Wilcott as reporter, Carol Reese Rio says reporter, Peter Joe Holt as Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 1: And Virginia Louise Smith as Secretary of State. Barry Bosswick, Barry Bosswick, you guys as Jerry Grants, Come on, Wick, most of my notes are about Barry Bobs.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: And then we have Jeannette Brocks as Rona, the polling analysts.
Speaker 3: And then wow, Germo, you would be right because this synopsis on this prep sheet is real short, so I don't super sure why I have notes on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll just read like the last two seconds.
Speaker 3: Ready, here we go, just to jog all you gladiator's memories. Although you're such fucking o g gladiators. I'm sure you've watched episode two eleven a million times because it's fucking awesome. But let me tell you about it. The White House is rocked by more changes. It fits, going back to one, going back to one, going back to one, to one, back to one, back to one. The White House is rocked by more changes. As Fits returns to office, flash Backs reveal more about the rigged election conspiracy, along with Fitz's relationship with his father.
Speaker 1: Edison makes a shocking accusation against Olivia, and Fitz makes a surprising decision about his future with Melly, as does Edison.
Speaker 2: With Olivia, Olivia has to make a few hard choices. Yes this fucking episode.
Speaker 3: I honestly sat there the entire time and thought, how did Carrie Washington not win an Emmy for this part?
Speaker 1: She is so good in this episode.
Speaker 3: Fucking believable, Like I can't her emotions because this is the episode where she makes the decision to say, yes, I'm all in, I want to rig the election with Verna and Hollis Doyle and Cyrus and Melli. But it's you watch her fall in love with the man. You watch her believe in the possibility of him being the greatest president that may ever happen, and her justify why she's going to say yes, let's rig the election.
Speaker 1: And also yes, and struggling with that, she.
Speaker 3: Like gives up everything she on the other hand, believes in, which is we the people get to decide who the fucking leader of the free world is it is.
Speaker 1: She's unbelievable and her her her stellar acting starts off like right at the top of this episode, at the right, like right at the top.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable. Olivia walks into her apartment. Edison is fucking waiting for her, and he's like, I know who your boyfriend was the last few years, bitch, it's the president. And she's like in all of her classic Olivia like like head fucking shitch to the side, arms cross.
Speaker 4: Pointing at him, pointing like like and she, you know, is like acting like I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you idiot, And then she has this who the fuck wrote this episode?
Speaker 2: Mark Fish?
Speaker 1: Mark Fish? Of course he did.
Speaker 3: Mark Fish was one of the solid dudes with us till the very end. And also I think almost was like I think he was like headhead head writer seasons maybe six and second. He's amazing and such a nice guy. But she goes through these numbers like five, this is why I won't be with you, four, this is why you're a dick. Three this is why I won't be with you. Two did you hear me? And one in a matter of three minutes, you've called me a criminal, a whore, an idiot, and a liar, and so now good days.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there's the title of the episode she throws that shit out.
Speaker 3: So and also the whole time, I was thinking, how the fuck did she memorize this shit?
Speaker 1: H listen most of the time on set and if I was around Carrie, she was with her assistant going over lines. I mean it was constantly, even when we had downtime, when they were setting up in the hair and makeup trailer, I mean it was constantly, constantly, constantly she was going over lines. She had to, I mean because she had this monologue and this is just one out of like eight, you know what I mean? Yes, yes, And sometimes they would there were there were days where we had monologues where they would change them the day of, like change stuff in the monologue the day of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to paint a picture for you guys, Like she would be called in to get her wig on at like four thirty in the morning, and so before any of us would get there, her lovely assistant, which changed over the years, would sit in the fucking hair chair next to her, drilling lines until we got there. And then she'd be like, yes, it would be maybe six am. She'd be like, guys, you would have run it, and then we would run. And then when we would be shooting the scene.
Speaker 1: An assistant episode, wh can we run.
Speaker 3: The next one? Let me get for the next time. Yes, you'd be like a scene that.
Speaker 1: Running the next scene. Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: The work ethic, I mean she was an Olympic athlete. She was literally an Olympic athlete. That's how hard she trained in working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and with Josie on her lap. Carrie used to have this little, beautiful little it's a little dog name Josie Josephine Baker who loved to eat bacon. Carrie would give her bacon in the mornings.
Speaker 2: Remember that that dog. Oh you were Oh my god, because I saw her, Like, the little ones always freak me out.
Speaker 1: Because they will your face off, like nip.
Speaker 3: Your fucking face and then all of a sudden you're getting stitches and you have a scar for the rest of your life. Like I loved her. Rip Josie rip she does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but she was.
Speaker 2: Like our set mascot. She was there for everything. She was so God. Carrie was such a good or.
Speaker 3: She was a mom because yes, that dog was independent and would just never on a leash, would follow her around, but also like do her own like she was so independently her own personality, but also listen to whatever Carrie needed her to do.
Speaker 1: And love to also love to be on Carrie's lap or in her arm, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Her holding bacon.
Speaker 1: She ate bacon. Yeah, every morning she would give her some bacon.
Speaker 2: Is the cutest I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Edison leaves the room after we they're like broken up, and she's like, get the fuck out of here, and she calls Cyrus and she's like, holy shit, we have a problem. Edicine just told me that tomorrow Sally Langston is going to go public and saying that Fits is not capable of leading right now, like he is not fully recovered from the gunshot wound. And then we do this whole episode where like we're going back and forth between like back in time and to present time. Yes, and we the big part of this episode is that Mellie suggests that you know, Fits is down too many points, there's no way he's going to beat Governor Restin, and everyone's like bringing Papa Grant played Jerry Grant.
Speaker 1: Jerry was a former politician, right, super successful.
Speaker 2: America's fucking darling dickhead. Yes now, yes, tell me about Barry Wick.
Speaker 1: You guys, It's played by Barry Bosswick. I mean listen. Barry boss Wick is a theater icon, Carrie, I mean, kaye carry, I just called you ing icon. First of all, he he was nominated for a Tony He originated originated the role of Danny Zuko in Greece, Guys, which is for k News, and he was nominated.
Speaker 2: Let it be known that Grease.
Speaker 3: As much as Gearmo and I sang rent on the scandal set, Grease was also saying quite a lot because Tom Verica, our producing director, played Kinicki all over Pensylvania Jersey. Oh yeah, Katie, I didn't know that he played Kiniki all over touring companies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But yeah, when Tom Verica was like nineteen to twenty one, like he made his living equity, like going around playing kiki Is at different places, you know, and he always had that that was like, oh no, was that some world? Did she put up a fight like that? Music was not okay?
Speaker 2: That musical you can't say. I know it's not cool.
Speaker 1: I know, but Tom is fucking hot. Tom is a really good looking guy, Like I could totally see him in Greece Playicky.
Speaker 2: And then Fully would also.
Speaker 1: I think was Fully Grease too.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know if Fully had done Grease.
Speaker 3: But I just have so many visuals coming into my head right now, like me Verica wow fully singing Greece like a lot on set for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: I just watched Greece the other day. Greece was I used to pull little scenes, little monologues from Greece and use them at auditions, like the scene between Kimmicky and Zuko. Oh god, there's no I don't have that brain that you have. We've talked about this before. Katie could do a fucking soliloquy from Shakespeare right now, word for word. I don't even remember what the fuck it is. But Greece was my jam, Like I I'll put it on like to this day just to have in the background because it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: But wait, and just recently, what you.
Speaker 2: Audition would you have where you would pull that?
Speaker 1: It was h it was a couple of scenes, it was I remember one scene specifically, And I was actually auditioning for a manager and I did it with a with a friend with someone else. So we did a scene the scene with with Kaniki and and and Danny where he gets hit in the head and he's like, you're gonna have to drive for me, like you're you're my second, you know all this stuff, that whole thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I did that audition. I did it a couple of times. I used that, isn't that funny? I did that. I did the breakfast club.
Speaker 2: It's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did stand by me that monologue when when he's telling the story about the kid that vomits on the audience and all that stuff. I did that as a.
Speaker 2: Model Adam for a monologue. Adam didn't either. You never went to like seeing.
Speaker 1: Somebody or watch movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, saying with Adam.
Speaker 3: So when Adam had an audition at University of Maryland, he's like a sophomore. He's a polypide major. He wants to be a lobbyist in DC. He has no thoughts or dreams or aspirations of being an actor.
Speaker 2: And someone's like, you.
Speaker 3: Should really know, and someone's like you should join this sketch comedy Troupe at Maryland because you're fucking funny, and he joins the sketch troupe, which is just like like SNL, you know, and he's doing sketches and he's having the best time, sold out audiences on campus, and then they're like, you should switch your major to drama. But you had to audition to get into the theater department. He didn't get in three times, and he didn't know what to do either, so he just transcribed the opening monologue to Goodfellas.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: It was like I always knew I wanted to my whole life, I've been a gangster some shit like that, and like this little skinny, fucking fifty pound jew Pennsylvania is doing this like Italian gangster mafia monologue didn't get did did he?
Speaker 1: Did he do the same monologue all three times? Or would he change it up? You would change it?
Speaker 2: I remember the second time.
Speaker 3: Then the third time he begged the guy who officiated our wedding. Scott Reese is amazing drama professor who's like super cool, looks like Obama, like such a tall, handsome, like bi racial dude. And Adam is like I'm going to be a senior. I want to graduate with a theater degree and I can't get in and I don't know what to do. And the guy was like, here's a Neil Simon monologue.
Speaker 1: He's like, you got to use an actual flight yeah play monologue.
Speaker 3: And by the way, when he auditioned, all the kids are getting up and saying like, you know, this is my monologue from name the play and name the playwright, and Adam had to get up and he was like.
Speaker 2: This is what's his name? No, he's no.
Speaker 3: When his first he was like, this is this is uh whatever? From Goodfellas, like written by Martin score season.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, how precious.
Speaker 3: They were probably okay, all of this in a roundabout story to Grease. Barry Bostwick, you you love Grease. He was the original fucking Danny Zuko.
Speaker 1: But also he's he's one of the leads and one of my favorite fucking horror thriller sci fi musicals ever called The Rocky Horror Picture Show. He was Brad Major's asshole, the Shadow Cast.
Speaker 2: It's all the best.
Speaker 3: It's the best movie I and the guy is a He's a legend.
Speaker 2: He is a legend.
Speaker 3: Changed the game in theater and TV and film alike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he won the Tony for a show, a show called The Robber Bridegroom in nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: I don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I don't know that one either. But also Barry Bosswick, all I wanted to do when he was on set was talk about rocky horror. Yeah and no, no, I barely had scenes with him. I was fucking hagrid huck. I was like, what am I gonna look like? Being like, hey, Mary Mouth's working as a fucking I'm homeless. He's probably like, who the fuck is this? But I remember talking to Bellamy about it, and Bellamy was in awe and loved him as well, because you know, she's a big theater persons. Scenes with him, Yeah, she had a lot of scenes with he.
Speaker 3: He's incredible in this episode, and we go there's a lot of scenes where like, well we'll get into that, but we flashback. They they suggest bringing in Fitz's dad to help the campaign to sort of split some of the campaign stops on the trail, to get like some of the you know, approval ratings up, and then oh my god, the fits is like, no, no, we're.
Speaker 2: Not bringing my dad.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing this, Like, no way, I said I would do this on my own. I don't need his help. I'm not my father's son. And then Olivia and Fitz go to Olivia's room to discuss it, and they just fucking hook up.
Speaker 1: And it's oh, man, yeah, he starts to slide down her. Oh my god, and and and Carrie makes that face of like ooh this feels good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then also so Tony's gear, I mean, what's his name? Oh god, see, I'm getting all.
Speaker 2: Flustered because it was such a fucking hot scene.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: No, He's like, if fine, I'll let my dad come and be a part of this, as long as you don't talk about it for the next twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh, oh, twenty minute, for twenty minutes, for twenty minutes down.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Back in the present day hospital, a doctor is briefing fits in Melly. I'm like, how like how bad this gunshot wound?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 3: Like, They're like, you might lose speech, you might not be able to connect your brain to your friends, you might not be able to walk, which essentially is like, can he be president of the United states like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Okay, Jerry shows up, and Jerry is amazing.
Speaker 3: He called he's such an old fashioned piece of.
Speaker 1: Shit, so wonderful. His energy in this episode just drives the episode. So he's so Jerry Grant, like he just melded into the role so well, like I can't imagine anyone, anyone else playing Jerry Grant. And he walks in, yeah, and he's like, no, no, pay no attention to me. I'm furniture. I'm just gonna sit here. And then Fitz starts to rehearse like his you know what he's going to say during the debate, and and of course Mary boss Wick, Mary Bosswick, Jerry Grant stops him right away, and he's like, what are you knowing? You know you're good looking, use your personality and.
Speaker 3: Calls Olivia's sweetheart, and he's just like, yes, he's very old fashioned in a pig and you could tell he's one of those dudes who cheated on his wife forever and is like fucking sexist.
Speaker 1: Yes, but also charming as fuck, charming.
Speaker 3: As hem yes, yes, and you could see why America is such a big fan. So Fitz gets drunk as ship at like a big the night that Jerry is there and they have a big dinner and Fits gets so wasted because he's so triggered.
Speaker 2: By his dad.
Speaker 3: And then after the dinner, they're in an elevator and Olivia is going up to her room and Fits kind of.
Speaker 2: Tries to elevator that ship just the tip in, just like.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 3: Olivia pushes him away the exact moment that the elevator door opens and Mellie catches it. And it's such a scene as Mellie's like, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, and you could tell from Carrie's face, her beautiful acting, She's like, I can't believe the guy that I'm sleeping with his wife is apologizing.
Speaker 1: To apologizing to me. Yes, And did you see in that scene when Mellie first comes anything and and Tony backs up, he bangs his head on that light fixture in the elevator and Tony's like, oh, like that really happened. It was, It's so it's so great. It's it's just I mean, it's just added.
Speaker 2: To grace acting.
Speaker 3: You know, they say a lot of times like you know, mistakes or things can be your greatest gift because it makes.
Speaker 2: It real and it makes you in the present moment and whatever.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then they're getting into the big fight because Jerry wants to run a dirty campaign and Fits really wants to stay above board and do things the right way.
Speaker 2: But what's cool about Jerry.
Speaker 3: Wanting to run a dirty campaign is that in order to run the dirty campaign, Olivia calls in the first like Olivia popean associates.
Speaker 5: She really forms like you see the origin story of Abby Hawk and Harrison all meeting for like kind of the first time to sort of work on digging up shit on Governor rest In.
Speaker 3: God Darby kills me you like walk and she's like, oh god, oh no, is he coming over here?
Speaker 1: You and I because.
Speaker 3: There's a way that would have been like that, but you know, TV creative license, creative license.
Speaker 2: So the dream team is together.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of back and forth in this episode.
Speaker 3: Which is exciting and very well done. We will be back with more after the break. The thing that the.
Speaker 1: Thing about this episode, about.
Speaker 3: This episode is that the OPA dream team. The one thing they dig up on rest In is that he's on antidepressants.
Speaker 2: It's like, I was like, what he gives a shit who is it?
Speaker 1: Right? Like I thought the same thing. I was like, this is the big Fine, this is the.
Speaker 3: Big This is the Zach who cares Fitz has got the information. And they throw him out there into a debate and the dad, Jerry Dickhead, is.
Speaker 2: Like, you gotta use this ship.
Speaker 3: You gotta just seal the deal, make sure America knows that he's mentally unstable or whatever the hell. And before that, another amazing scene Fits is being a little bitch baby. He walks into prep for the debate and like the they're having technological difficulties and he's like you, why.
Speaker 2: Is this happening? Get out of here. Yeah, and Carrie's like, okay, great, thanks, thanks for the night. Everyone go home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she just sees people are working hard for you, dude, like they're working for you, Like you got to calm down, Yeah, what's your problem?
Speaker 3: And she says, you know what your problem is? Oh my god, I didn't see it before. And this is when she's getting all that finger shaking straight up in his face again, Edison.
Speaker 2: Now she's shaking a finger in his face.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, if I hadn't been And then the sentence cuts out, but she was like, if I hadn't fallen in love with you, is really what she wanted to say, then I wouldn't have missed it. But what I missed is America doesn't know who you are. Why do you want this?
Speaker 1: Why do you want to be president?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, this is why America doesn't trust you. This is why you're losing because you yourself don't know why you want this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a good scene. And his face in this scene, he's like super emotional. He's like about to cry. Oh, it's so good. They're both so so good in this scene.
Speaker 2: My god, it's so good.
Speaker 3: And so instead of him using the antidepressant thing, he has a great debate moment talking to like one of the women in the audience about her son about to go off to war to fight for him, and and he has like a real moment of like letting people in and seeing how he's vulnerable and he's also afraid and.
Speaker 2: It really they're like, yeah, he kicked out.
Speaker 1: Of this debate totally, was so and and and still he did so well. He knocked that shit out the park. And still his dad is like, uh, you you wimped out, didn't You should have used it you're gonna lose this election, like he's still being super negative, and it's like, dude, he did amazing in this debate, like come.
Speaker 2: On, and then his dad dies.
Speaker 1: And then his dad fucking dies dead and then fits chops wood, which which I thought, Okay, this is like the second time we see Tony Goldwen chopping wood, because he told Shonda that he's really good at chopping wood, and.
Speaker 2: He is good.
Speaker 1: He's really good, and he looks hot doing it. And then I thought, why did they always have me eating in scenes? And I thought because I eat really good because I liked to eat. I was like, Okay, I did nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean, I truly did nothing. So I guess that's what I don't have, like a thing. I mean, I guess it was like a hacker. But nope, no, Quinn at the beginning took a lot of notes to the glob.
Speaker 1: You did take notes, which, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, like a hacker would never write notes.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, listen, I wrote so many notes. But I'm also like, you know, sixty.
Speaker 3: Three, so you know what, I used to hide up my notes all over the set.
Speaker 1: Gum, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It was so disgusting, Katie. I remember that. I remember opening that shit up sometimes and being like, this is so nasty, just globs of gum, like dried up gum.
Speaker 3: Direct your gum issue where is like if I'm around gum, I have to chew it, and I have to chew a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Like it's like an oral fixation thing. I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Like I don't even buy gum or have it in near my house because if I do, it's not like I have a piece it, just like it's like no, no.
Speaker 2: Like I'll eat, it'll be gone in an hour. The whole thing.
Speaker 1: I do that with the cinnamon gum, with the big red like I have to put like five six pieces down and get Once the flavor's gone, I spit it out and then throw five more in.
Speaker 3: But I had two gum on set to be sure that I had super fresh breath for my fellow actors, and then they would call action and then I would just roll up the wad of gum and stick it in the corner of one of our legal notepads. And so most of our notepads around set just had a shitload of wads of gum in it.
Speaker 2: Thanks to me. So he's chopping wood and they him and Olivia are talking about something that I can't remember.
Speaker 3: But the scene sort of ends and he's down on his knees and she's hugging him, and he's finally like crying, like crying for crying for their relationship, crying for all of it. Like he just has this like big emotional release.
Speaker 1: And crying because he found himself. He found who he is, you know, his authenticity. And he did great in that debate. Yeah, in that crying scene, I thought, oh this. I know he didn't use no tearstick for this one because he's crying into the other actor, which is very convenient. And sometimes when you're like, oh, I gotta fucking cry, I'm gonna cry into my hands and cover my full face.
Speaker 2: Absolutely deceased. I am absolutely deceased.
Speaker 3: That the one time you really don't need a tearstake is if you could make some sort of blocking choice where when you cry, you fall into the other person and never separate so that the camera can catch me.
Speaker 1: It's all bullshit, correct, correct, But he did it brilliantly, and you could hear him sobbing in Carrie's mic, you know, because usually our microphones are like on our chests somewhere, and the sound was beautiful. That is so funny, beautiful.
Speaker 3: We cut you in the present moment where Edison proposes to Olivia, Yo, what are you saying about?
Speaker 1: You can't take no for an answer? Like get the fuck out of here? Ready? Bye?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: God? So true? Tho her like what are you still doing around? And he has her to marry him, like read the room, dude, feel that she's.
Speaker 3: Like and also when was the last time you guys boned? Like I feel like your relationship is a fucking nightmare. And this is the starting point.
Speaker 2: We just doesn't.
Speaker 3: Bad, it's very bad. And he proposes, saying to her like I know you. I'm the only one that gets you. And then she says what does she say?
Speaker 1: We don't. We don't get an answer.
Speaker 2: We do not get an answer.
Speaker 3: But what we do get an answer about, and how the episode ends is we get an We get the answer that Olivia decides yes, break the election, and she's around the table in the private Grant plane and.
Speaker 1: She's wreck and she's emotionally that she's saying yes.
Speaker 3: Believable, and they the way it's shot, it's so beautiful. They cut to like Cyrus's, they cut to Hollis just made the call, like he's he picks up the phone, obviously calling Jesse played by the wonderful Adam Spiro, but the sexy, wonderful, greatest gift to my life Adam Shapiro, and he calls him and says it's a go, and then they cut to the goons, every goon's face, Mellie, Cyrus, Hollis, Verna, and then alb and Olivia just cries and puts her hands over her mouth and she's just like, m I've signed a deal with the devil, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And this is early on in Scandal, so it's it's one of the first times, right that you think, oh man, nothing is as it seems right. Like she's supposed to be the one that's wearing the white hat, the one that's supposed to fix everything and be you know, moral compass, the good yes, and here she is agreeing to rig the election. Like that's that's like that's other level, you know what I mean? Yeah level do that yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. The fun fact.
Speaker 3: This is the third flashback episode of season two and the fourth flashback episode all overall.
Speaker 2: So like, oh, this is.
Speaker 3: Episode eleven, and we did we did seven in the first so already eighteen episodes and four of them have been flashback episodes. So like that became a real thing that that scandal did, you know, like like play with time and sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go back and forth like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do we have any tweet tweet tweet to tweet tweet tweets at.
Speaker 1: The time tweets?
Speaker 5: We got some tweet to tweet tweets.
Speaker 1: These tweets were some of my favorites. Yes, And some of them don't even have to do with the show. And that's why I love them, because they're just crazy and so good.
Speaker 3: Like the middle of season two is when people started to give a shit about this show.
Speaker 1: They were like, this is my jam, Like, this is my show. I got to watch it every week.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I think we can see it in the tweet tweet tweet tweet tweets at the time time because they're getting crazier and crazier and and so, what are.
Speaker 2: Some of your favorite tweets at the time?
Speaker 1: Gee yo, One of my one of my favorites is uh, Tricia at Tricia Matthew says, I'm pretty sure I just saw Edison in a sialis ad. I guess things would Olivia are really over hashtag scandal.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's the alice again?
Speaker 1: Is like a rectile dysfunction, like pill, like.
Speaker 3: Right down, da, that's fucking hilarious. They're like, this dude needs a job.
Speaker 1: He's out, Yeah, he's out. He's in this commercial. Yeah. Some one at Alpha dre Bt tweeted, the President's wife is a nasty bitch hashtag scandal.
Speaker 3: So good at Goddess Tings says, the motherfucking cable went out. Mom, she's about to spaz if she don't see scandal.
Speaker 1: Oh shitar her mother. This girl's mother said, the motherfucking cable went out because she was about to watch the show, and now she's flipping out.
Speaker 3: And this was the time where like this was appointment viewing. Like streaming has made it so people just really watch entire series in their own time and place, But at this point, people were showing up Thursdays to see this show. So Fridays, if you went into work and didn't know the plot of Scandal, someone was gonna blow it. Yes, So your motherfucking cable going out was a problem.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal. Let's see. Dave the Gauge tweeted just heard subways foot longs are eleven inches in some locations. Hashtag scandal, hashtag protest, hashtag boycott subway my favorite also because it has nothing to do with our show, but also how much do Katie and I love subway sandwiches? But our sandwich choices are very specific, Like I love a veggie delight on whole week with extra vinegar, all the vegetables, cheese, a ton of holopenos, yellow peppers, hot.
Speaker 2: Sauce is watering.
Speaker 1: I love, yes, Katie, what is yours? Yours is?
Speaker 2: I like a foot long on Italian white.
Speaker 3: I like extra provolone cheese, I like it toasted, and then I like extra extra lettuce, extra olives, extra banana peppers, extra halapanos, extra vinegar, extra olive oil, extra.
Speaker 2: Salt and pepper.
Speaker 3: And it's just a fucking cheese lettuce bread.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm gonna go grab that shit after we finished taping.
Speaker 3: YO, love a veggie delight and I love I don't know what mine's called. I got introduced to it in high school by some vegetarian, and I wasn't really vegetaring, but I loved it, but wait, Okay, thank you everybody for listening to the scandal rewatch. Thank you guys unpacking the toolbox. We can't wait to hear more and talk more. Next week's episode is called Truth or Consequences. I can't remember what it's about. Do you remember what it's about?
Speaker 2: And I do not?
Speaker 1: Okay to twelve?
Speaker 3: Right to twelve Truth or Consequences. We may or may not be having a super fucking awesome guest, but you should tune in anyway always and tell your friends, like subscribe, do all the things, listen to us, we love you.
Speaker 1: Hit us up on social media. I'm at Geirmo diaz Reel on Instagram, Germo diaz Yo on Twitter.
Speaker 2: And I'm at KTQ Low's at Instagram. What are you on Twitter?
Speaker 1: G Geirmo diaz Yo, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love I forgot you were at Garmo Diaz Yo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But no one's on Twitter anymore. Like I don't see you on Twitter anymore. Like everybody's like, we're taking a break from Twitter, which I want.
Speaker 3: It became a little bit of a cesspool during the Trump era. We know these tweet The tweeting was a much classier bag.
Speaker 2: During the sand in the day. Correct, but we love you all. Come along for the ride.
Speaker 3: So much more scandal to talk about, so many more people to talk to. We love you, Gladiators, og and new Till next time.
Speaker 1: Peace on Unpacking the Toolbox night. Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 3: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, alex Alce, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher.
Speaker 1: Scandal is a production of ABC Signature, and you can follow along by rewatching Scandal on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.