Speaker 1: What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. We Rolling, OK, let's do this.
Speaker 2: Supremo.
Speaker 1: Roll Come Supremo.
Speaker 2: Supremo, Roll call, Supremo, sup Supremo, Roll Supremo.
Speaker 1: Suck Supremo. Someone up there loves me theme of the show. Yeah, because how we pulled this up off? Yeah, I will never know.
Speaker 2: Supremo Supremo, Role Supremo Supremo.
Speaker 3: My name is Fante.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm trying not to shout yeah because my inner thirteen year old it's freaking out.
Speaker 2: Supremo, Roll Supremo, Supremo.
Speaker 1: My name is Sugar. Yeah, my wraps are tasty, so lunch is served.
Speaker 6: And Tracy, I'm unpaid Billy, believe it or not.
Speaker 1: Now we know who shot Tupac.
Speaker 7: Supriv Yeah, just living out dreams. Tracy and Shawnee. I don't even know what this means.
Speaker 1: Supprivo roll call.
Speaker 8: My name is Shanese. I love to smile. I'm sitting here, don't know how.
Speaker 2: Supprivov Supremo.
Speaker 9: Role. My name is Rath. I like to begin.
Speaker 8: I don't know what I'm doing. Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Suppriva so Suppriva Supremo.
Speaker 10: Suppre Okay, Look everyone, everyone, everyone, everyone, this is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: This is what we're gonna do. I want everyone to in hell ex heal in hell, and we all got COVID again. Okay, okay, So a funny thing happened on my way to the forums. Yeah. So occasionally I will put out an A P B or where are they now for some of my favorites throughout the years on social media, and nine times out of ten, you know, it's tumbleweeds and no responses or whatever, especially in the case of one of our guests. And I got so used to the dead silence on the whereabouts that you know, I just gave up after a decade or so. Enter friend of the show, Shauna, Are you here?
Speaker 8: Hello?
Speaker 1: All right? So she provided probably this year's equivalent of Manna from Heaven, in which she said, a mirror, your prayers have been answered. So let's fast forward to where we are right now. Both of our guests I didn't even know were friends with each other, and they also happen to have overlapping journeys in life. Both in decades ago, they were standout acts on a show called Star Search. You know if you know the voice or if you know America Knight whatever it's you know, Star Search was you know when that was our show and basically parlayed their talents into at a very young age, into record deal and hits and whatnot and yes, of course can you dance? Ain't gonna have step in? Symptoms of true love? This house tend to kisses, Yes, I could name them all. I love your smile whatever. I've been a major, major, major fan of this is royalty of both these queens for the longest we all have been. And for some reason, you know, because they had their rise before the sort of scent of social media. There really wasn't mainstream outlets to let us know them as people, even though we occasionally seem on a soul train or b T you whatever. And even having despite the fact that I've worked with one of them, I've realized that until this very moment, I've never met them. Yes, it's it's possible to be on someone's record and not having met them anyway, it's taking me three decades to say, nice to meet you. Shanice Wilson and Tracy Spencer. Welcome to Quest of Supremes. Wow, So where the heck you been? First of all, how are you guys today, how are we?
Speaker 8: We are on on cloud nine. We're like floating. Yeah, this is like we're excited. It just seems like unreal.
Speaker 9: And emotional roller coaster.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I keep saying I'm gonna cry. She's like, I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 7: Like y'all are fresh off of popular talk show. I know we can't say where you just came from, but like, y'all just did a popular talk show, Like this is really yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a lot so.
Speaker 9: A lot really fast.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm just really excited. I've been looking for Tracy for the past what how many years? Twenty maybe like twenty years. I tweeted a picture of us with Santa. We were sitting on Santa Claus as a lap back in the day. It took a picture with Santa Claus and I posted that on my Twitter and I said, can anybody help me find Tracy?
Speaker 1: You too?
Speaker 8: I said, I'm looking for Tracy Spencer and nobody could find her for like year. My kids were babies, they're they're pretty much grown now. And I went to a party with Shantemore's birthday party and Shawna was at the party and she said I found her. This was like a few months ago, we found Tracy Spencer.
Speaker 1: Is there an extra?
Speaker 8: Shawna said, I found Tracy Spencer. I'm like, really, she's on Instagram like she is, So that's how we.
Speaker 9: Reconnected following people on Instagram.
Speaker 8: She had this page. It didn't even look like it would be her page.
Speaker 1: Were all right, So let me just give a little backstory, Shauna. So is it mengtel or Manga ta mangata?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So you know super executive management? Like okay, So what is your role in life?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: I know that for years you've worked for Michael Jackson as his personal assistant during the Dangerous period, and you assisted us in getting Howard Hewitt on the show and whatnot. So you know, you and I have been friends forever. You've been an actor, like you've been connected in acting and whatnot. You've been in so many movies that we've seen that didn't even realize. So how did you know? How did you find Tracy?
Speaker 11: Well, when I was working with Michael Jackson, I actually worked for his manager, Sandy Gallan. So I've been in music management all my career and after leaving Michael's management company, I went to work for quadri Ellamine at Southpot Entertainment and he said, I want you to work with Tracy Spencer. And this was in nineteen ninety eight. So I was brought in to work specifically with Tracy on her last album on Capitol Records, called Tracey See, and I was her day to day manager and you know, just doing her scheduling and all that kind of stuff. Fast forward to now, Tracy reaches out to me on Instagram. I didn't know why because I have been looking for her too for decades.
Speaker 1: Did you know that we were looking for you everybody? Why would you do that to us?
Speaker 12: I didn't do.
Speaker 9: It like to hurt anyone's feeling, but.
Speaker 1: It also proves me that one kid disappeared. We want to live off the grid and hang out with me. Daylight Secret Tracy Spencer. Okay, like, let's have it. Where the hell have you been?
Speaker 12: People going to be mad?
Speaker 9: She's absolutely right. There's gonna be a lot of very angry people after this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you are your appreciative, but please.
Speaker 1: We can stand here five or six times.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 4: After the Tracy album. Well, even before the Tracy album, the Capitol was going through so many different changes, Like at one point they got rid of the Black Music Department and kept me and wanted me to represent.
Speaker 9: Black radio radio. Yeah everybody.
Speaker 4: I mean it was literally like a ghost town on like the eighth and ninth floor, which is where the Black Department was.
Speaker 9: So I remember I'd go down and be like, wow, the lights are out, like this is so weird.
Speaker 4: And I was like seventeen eighteen years old then, And so I ended up actually recording like two different albums, one with Dallas Austin, one with Shakir from Queen Latifa's camp.
Speaker 9: I spent some time in New York.
Speaker 4: Both of those records got shelved, but I did notice that some stuff has been leaked on YouTube and someone's like selling.
Speaker 9: A mixtape for like two g's.
Speaker 4: Of some some Tracy Spencer unreleased music.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, yeah, like you would have brought that too.
Speaker 12: And so when.
Speaker 4: When once I got with Quadri, you know, he was trying to reassure me, like stick it out, it's gonna be all good. Let's do another record. That's when Roy Lott was the president of Capital and he had mentioned Soul Shock and Carlin and said, I think they would be great to help you put this record together. So we la literally sat for months, like in the studio just creating and coming up with ideas, and they pretty much did that entire album and helped me A and R the record. So after the record, you know, you go on tour. I s wasn't having any fun. It became I went from a point where I had a lot of family support to now that I was getting older. I was now twenty one, My family wasn't traveling with me. My dad was having some health issues so he couldn't go on the road, and my siblings were all, you know, doing things in their own lives. So it was like a big transition for me. And then you also have a lot of uh, you meet a lot of interesting people who want to take advantage of you in the industry as a female. Now they're like, oh, her dad's not around, or her brother's not around or yeah, and it got very uncomfortable to be very honest, and so, yeah, I wasn't having any fun. And I remember having a conversation with my mom and I just said, I'm having anxiety.
Speaker 9: I'm not like having panic attacks, Like what am I going to do?
Speaker 4: And she was like, I always told you when you're not having fun, get out for your mental health.
Speaker 9: Like she's like, come home.
Speaker 4: So I went home for a little bit, being in the country, home, playing with Iowa.
Speaker 3: Oh oh wow, that's how you disappeared.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I do agreed recently that i was now the number one place to go if you want to live off the grid.
Speaker 1: Oh so, I'm just there's another fun fact that I know about Iowa that I don't think is very appropriate. Dementium right now, But this is the amount of black women that I know from Iowa, all in the industry right, No, just in Iowa period, Robin Thedi Okay, So thus I know a comedian, a singer, and the we'll just say our actresses.
Speaker 12: I thought you were going to say that. The people like, what.
Speaker 1: Is what is it? What city in Iowa for starters? What city in Iowa is this? And that's turning out these artistic base women. Yeah, like I don't know, but something about it's something about the state of Iowa that is, like, I don't know, just turns out mysterious alluring women that have a talent.
Speaker 12: Somebody get them out of.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, Steve.
Speaker 5: What was it like growing up in Iowa?
Speaker 9: Lots of corn I really just want to see where he was gonna go.
Speaker 13: Seef, he's gonna get himself out of it.
Speaker 9: Yes, there's lots of corn. There is corn in my.
Speaker 4: Backyard, literally lots of corn. My dad's side of the family is from Canada on his mom's side, and then his father was from Alabama. My mom's family's from Louisiana. How they kind of ended up together and me being born in Iowa was after my mom's h her parents passed away. She was going to join the Air Force, but she had a brother who moved to Minneapolis, or not Minneapolis, but to Des Moines, Iowa, which is the capital, and she was traveling.
Speaker 8: She had.
Speaker 4: Eight siblings, so she was traveling to go visit him, and she decided, well, maybe I'm just gonna get into nursing.
Speaker 9: Maybe I'll moved to Iowa.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 4: She just didn't want to go back to Louisiana. My dad ended up in a really small town called Marshalltown, Iowa, where there's like.
Speaker 9: No people of color. Yeah, it was just literally his.
Speaker 4: Dad and then his mom being white. Yeah, they were the talk of the town.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And so my dad had a band called the Cavaliers.
Speaker 4: He's like performing doing one nighters around the state of Iowa and other cities in the Midwest, and he sees my mom in a club with her brother, and he walks up to her and says, I don't know who you are, but I'm gonna marry you. Basically, she never went back to Louisiana. Six months later they got married and they stayed in Iowa and she became a nurse. And that's how I ended up in Iowa.
Speaker 1: I see now, Miss Wilson. Now. One of my favorite moments ever in the history of my years in watching me our City and Hall Show, Oh Wow, was when there was an audio tape of you. I believe you had to have been under the age of two, but you singing Jungle Bookie.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And to me, not much of a hoopla has been made of the fact that someone not even one years old can harmonize get down, get down all like. So I already know that you came out the womb singing, So tell me about like where were you.
Speaker 8: Born and so yeah, I'm originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and yans yes, yes, And the audio you're talking about, I was literally seven months I was seven months and there was three songs I did on that tape. I did Jungle Boogie by Cool in the Game, tell Me Something Good about Chaka Khan and Benny and the Jets by Elton John Wow.
Speaker 1: And I don't even know the words of that song now no.
Speaker 8: One believes it, but we have it on cassette. And I couldn't talk, but I could sing those melodies but I couldn't talk. So yeah, But I'm from Pittsford, Pennsylvania. I come from a musical family. My mom sings. My dad is a guitarist, and my mom she was in a singing group and she decided her and my aunt, they had a group together, and they said, let's move to either California or New York because they wanted to pursue their singing careers. So they decided to move to LA. We got on the Greyhound bus and when we got to LA, I was like eight years old, and I said, but I want to sing too. I want to do it too. So they found me a commercial agent. I went on my first audition and I booked a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial with Ella Fitzgerald. At eight years old, I scattered with her at eight years old.
Speaker 1: I know that commercial that was me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that's where it all began. When I got off the Greyhound bus. Wanda from the Emotions, the Legendary Emotions picked me up from the Greyhound station. So she was the first person that I met when I got off the bus, and I remember looking around. I was in Hollywood, and I just I was like, where are the stars? I wanna see the stars. Where's Mike. I was like, where's Michael Jackson? And then it's like it's deep because words are powerful because I kept speaking that I wanted to meet Michael Jackson. I wanted to meet Michael Jackson. And then UH when I I did Star Search one Star Search, NA when I did a musical after Star Search called Get Happy, and John McClain, who was now over Michael Jackson's estate right heard me singing uh in the musical and signed me to and in Records when I was eleven years old, and oh, she found the commercial so so so it's so deep because I was eight years old saying I wanted to meet Michael Jackson, and then I did eleven the guy who worked with Michael Jackson signed me to a and m and I finally and then I finally got to meet Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: I felt you were gonna go in deep cut and be like later I married Michael Jackson. No, no, no.
Speaker 8: I got to sing on three of his records, some backgrounds on three.
Speaker 1: No, I'm talking about somewhere. Jimmy Champs just hit me off, like, wait, who how did you pull that off?
Speaker 8: Flex? He did play Michael. But I just want to say this, when Flex auditioned for that, As a matter of fact, he even audition. He just had a meeting and they told him that it was going to be authorized, like Michael was going to be involved, and the music was going to be in the movie. Like and then once he got the part, everything changed. They said it's unauthorized.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: The makeup was terrible, the hair was terrible. Like, I just feel so bad because who would turn that down? You know?
Speaker 1: Like ah, I.
Speaker 8: Thought like Flex did a great job. The movie wasn't great. The hair and makeup and all that wasn't good, but Flex put his heart and soul into it. So I gotta give a shout out to my baby.
Speaker 1: Flex.
Speaker 3: Do you remember do you remember the songs that you sang? Backron Michael.
Speaker 8: Yeah, keep the Faith. It's a song that And after he passed behind the mask, I got to add live with him at the end of that, and I did backgrounds on top of that and then you'll be there.
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: What's up? Do you remember your first musical memory, like in terms of you having a talent, or what's your first musical memory in life?
Speaker 4: My dad was he had two bars that he opened in Waterloo, Iowa.
Speaker 9: They were jazz bars.
Speaker 4: Well, he would let me come in and help clean up, like in the mornings, and he would play music and then I would sing along and he was just kind of like, well, that's interesting. So he started bringing records home and he bought me a record player and the first record that he played for me was Tina Marie and I just start listening to it, and then I was trying to memorize all her lyrics. And then he gave me Diying a ross and I would memorize him. But the funny thing is I didn't want anyone to come downstairs and like watch me. So my mom, my sister and everybody and my dad they would sit on the stairs and they would listen to me.
Speaker 13: They would be thinking like I can't look at me, and I would just be down there in front of the mirror, just like dancing and singing and pretending I was dying a ross at Tina Marie.
Speaker 4: And my dad was like, wow, like she really likes to sing. I much rather be in the house singing and listening to records and being outside playing.
Speaker 1: With So you're you're in the reluctant hero kind of disappeared for thirty years.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's very adamant about and that is the energy I respect.
Speaker 1: Like you have a kid. I'm just letting you know, like.
Speaker 9: Oh wait, so now what's your sign cancer?
Speaker 1: Okay? Cap?
Speaker 3: Yeah, saying yeah, I'm with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that'scy Spencer. Do we know that that for a fact right now? That happened once with you remember Reddad king Finn was like, uh capping people? Do you not remember? Like this guy? Why would he? Why why he would choose red Ad Kingpin of anybody?
Speaker 3: Like because who else is going to do that?
Speaker 1: Right open? Mark?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 1: But he, like me, he would like go to night clubs and from five thousand dollars like do do the right thing? And we don't have a plan B and whatever, and then like two years later he finally got caught.
Speaker 3: Wow, thank god for social media.
Speaker 1: Way fly. Now that is random. At what point? Well, I guess because you two are such at a young age. Can I assume that like the decision to put you or the baby steps into putting you into show business was made for you? Or was it? Like was there ever talk like would you like to do this for real or whatever?
Speaker 9: Or like, yeah, my.
Speaker 4: Dad he was always asking me because my one of my brothers, the one who actually does some some vocals on Tender Kisses and he co wrote it, and.
Speaker 1: He used to do interviews with you on like B. I was wondering, Yeah, I used to see anytime he did interviews like your.
Speaker 9: Brother, he was with me a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But he taught himself out to play the piano, so he used to My parents got us a piano and I would sing. He would just write songs and we would do that. That's when I kind of moved from the basement to upstairs, and then I became less shy, and then neighbors would come over and get free concerts.
Speaker 1: Was there ever like a thought of like you guys would be like an updated black version of the Carpenters or anything like.
Speaker 4: Actually did we thought we were gonna do that? Like he'd play keys and I would sing.
Speaker 9: Play I play the guitar.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, but so what are the steps that lead to Well, first of all, leaving Iowa and pursuing.
Speaker 4: Your My dad met this guy named Stan Plusser who was a manager for like Ozark Mountain Daredevils in Kansas City, and he also had a coffee shop that he had, like Steve Martin would come in and do stand up and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoa, Okay, I'm reading Steve Martin's book right now about his life as a stand up comedian, and he talks about like literally gives a step by step journey of like every place he kept diaries and everything.
Speaker 9: So which is crazy wow.
Speaker 1: Okay Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so Stan ended up seeing my dad perform with his band one day, and my dad was like carrying a cassette of me around. He's like, I have a daughter and he's like, well, how does she like twenty? And he's like she's ten. Wait, she's ten, but she can sing. And he's like, what am I going to do with a ten year old child? And he's like, just listen to it, like she really wants to be a singer. So he listened to it, and then his idea was, let's get her on Star Search. So I was like, I have an idea. I'm gonna direct my own video. So yeah, at ten, so we asked.
Speaker 9: The public life prariy in Cedar Falls.
Speaker 8: I know, but I like that.
Speaker 3: She thinks I was funny too, even.
Speaker 1: Like you can't say I with a straight face. That's there's all these cities and townships in Iowa. It's the whole state. Yeah, anytime you're saying I feel like there's a glisten, I see that, all right, all right, Oh my god. I don't know if you know there's cities in Iowa, but it's just like one state. That's it. Everybody from say the city again, God, Theedar Falls anytime you're.
Speaker 9: Love that.
Speaker 4: And so so I asked the public Library Cedar Falls if I could use their basement to shoot a video, and they're like, okay, whatever. So I got some people from the local news news station to come shoot.
Speaker 1: Was connected.
Speaker 9: That was my dad, my dad, Like everybody knew my dad.
Speaker 1: For half a second, I was.
Speaker 4: Like, wait, are you like yeah, yeah, Like, Daddy, can we get this person?
Speaker 9: He's like, I'll make a call, and he'd make a call, and then it was that easy.
Speaker 4: People were excited because they were like, what You're going to try and get on Star Search?
Speaker 9: Like that's cool, we want to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: So I recorded a demo, but the only tracks I could find that had no lead vocals.
Speaker 9: Was do Me Baby by Melissam Morgan.
Speaker 1: Songs like.
Speaker 3: And what was the other record?
Speaker 1: Do Baby?
Speaker 9: How will I know? Whitney used to I.
Speaker 12: Don't even want to hear you sing do Me Baby, that's weird.
Speaker 1: Get as a baby as.
Speaker 9: A baby, oh yeah, And then the third song was missing You Dinah.
Speaker 3: Ross okay, wow, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So I called all my friends from like school and some cousins and they sat on the floor and watched me do like this performance and they were like dancing, and we sent that video into Star Search and that's how I got.
Speaker 1: Onto How long was it before you got the call?
Speaker 9: Like three months later?
Speaker 1: Okay? And now what is your journey to Star Search?
Speaker 8: I auditioned for Star Search. I think I went into a room and had to sing and do like a full audition and I can't remember how quickly they called back because it was so long ago. I was eleven at the time.
Speaker 1: But okay, can you walk us through because I always wanted to know like the step by step process of like do you show up? Are there other kids? Are they are?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there were backstage, There were backstage moms. Yeah, there were kids backstage, you know, warming up. Like you said, my mom is a singer also, so everything I did on Star Search, my mom coached me, like she was like, Okay, put your arms, she said at the end, put your arms up in the air like Diana Ross, and then look him in the eyes on this part, and then walk on this party. And so when backstage I wanted to play with the kids, and my mom was like, you know what you're gonna do. It's like she was literally like biting her nails. She was so scared. And I was like, Mom, I got this, I'm fine, I got it. And then I went out there and I remembered everything she taught me and and I won.
Speaker 1: Were there any in your experiences backstage? Were there any notable uh figures that we might know now that we're also at.
Speaker 12: Least we remember Tracy the model that would win.
Speaker 14: Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, I remember. I remember her not on my episode, but I know there's I mean there's the justin Timberlakes and the everybody. He was on there with the girl that I.
Speaker 9: Was competing against.
Speaker 4: She was five, and she was the girl who played Curly Sue.
Speaker 1: Yo. You want to know something. She is a crazy hip hop head, like forgetting you played Curly.
Speaker 4: Suit recently or like a couple of seasons ago or before COVID she was on the voice.
Speaker 1: She's doing something active. I think I'm accidentally following her whatever the like. She's like we connected for some other reason. And then I looked back and I was like, wait, this is Curly Sue. And then she's like, yeah, all the college, you know, it's all the Roots. And I'm just trying to put in my head to that person, like I knew who the Roots was. But you know, she was a vege.
Speaker 8: You know, I have a guess shout out to Tasha Scott because she was the girl that I was up against on Star Search and she's she ended up being a really big actress. She did uh. She was in the TV show sou South Central with Lorenz Tate yeah, so yeah, Tasha Scott. Shout out to Tasha Scott so she was on my episode.
Speaker 1: How nerve wracking is the experience of star search as you're doing it and waiting to be judged on the line and all those things, like, especially at that young of an age.
Speaker 8: I remember for me, for some reason, I think I just kind of blocked it out, Like, but I remember backstage, I would hear kids cry, like if they didn't win, right, I would. I don't know if you experienced that, but I saw kids crying backstage.
Speaker 1: Would you at least get your own like room so that you're not like after the battle's over, like, do you also have to walk backstage together and stay in the same room? And because I would imagine, oh.
Speaker 8: Okay, I just remember a bunch of kids backstage, that's all I remember.
Speaker 4: My dad would tell me I couldn't play with them though, like you could play with the kids.
Speaker 8: Well, my mom, I was trying to play with the kids, and my mom was like, get over here and work on that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My dad was like, no, we don't have time for that room.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Was that in terms of like for you know, like to give you more competitive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not very competitive in that sense, Like I'm just like I want to sing, go.
Speaker 9: Have fun, and my dad just want to play. This is a different you know game here, girl.
Speaker 8: My mom was focused on like coaching me. But one thing I can I got to give a shout out to my mom. She was never a stage mom like I wanted to do it, like I was never forced. Even when I got my record deal, my mom sat me down. I was eleven years old. She said, are you sure because you don't have to we don't have to do this contract. Are you sure this is what you want to do? And I'm like, this is what this is my dream? So I was My mom was never that stage mom that like forced me. Yeah, Like you know, did you.
Speaker 7: Pick out your own dress on Star Search? Me and Bill were just the office was so opposite. It was so funny. Tracy looked.
Speaker 8: That out that I'd wear that today.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 12: That's what I was like, one like.
Speaker 8: A fluffy it was made. Mine was custom made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, taker bell dress.
Speaker 8: I don't know what we were thinking with my dress.
Speaker 1: And there's like, wow, look, you know what did you do? You know what you're saying?
Speaker 8: I did the greatest love of All and Somewhere of the Rainbow, the Patty the Bell version.
Speaker 1: Why can't I?
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's a good star song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sam Harris, Yeah, I remember that. They just got to the jas like he kept singing it week after week after week, and then one day he just came out like kept just like two minutes just for that. So how many episodes are shot? Is it week by week or is it just like you just do a whole bunch of episodes until bro, I don't know.
Speaker 8: For me, it was like I won, I sang the greatest of Ball one, and then I went back the next week and one again when I did uh Somewhere with the Rainbow, and then I won. That was the finals. So I only did like two performances.
Speaker 4: I did three against well two against just me and Alison Porter. That was her name early, so Alison Porter. And then we kept tying. So then they brought a third person in for the semi finals. Different yet they brought they could not because when they would have the judges vote, it was the same, like it was even.
Speaker 12: Four point five y.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they brought a third girl in and then I beat both of them and I was like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I remember when I won, I got to say this, Ed McMahon threw he was so excited that I wanted He threw the envelope up in the air, like, oh, he was really happy that I won.
Speaker 1: So immediately, How fast did the record deals come after Star Search? Like, what's the path to getting the record deal? Is it demos? First meeting a producer?
Speaker 8: Then for me? Uh, I did star Search and then right after Star Search, John McClain heard me and singing and I was singing in a musical. He heard me sing, he said, you wanted to sign me? Like immediately, I sat in Herb Alpert's office and had to sing for him a cappella and I sang for herb Alfred Nerve and I had a deal. It was like it was like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've been in existence for seven years and one of the most elusive characters of all time is John McClain and literally, like this this show might as well be called six Degrees to John McClain. Literally he's connected to everyone, but he's so elusive. He even gifted me John Robinson's off the Wall snare like the rock with You intro snare like I have that, But he won't meet me, right.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen John. I talked to him like the Okay, the day Michael passed away, I talked to John, and then after that I haven't. I haven't talked to him since. Like it's hard to reach him, it's so hard to read. But he reached out through email and wanted me to sing on the behind the mask after Michael passed and I did that and that was because of John McClain. Wow, but I haven't seen him physically, seen him physically in years.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got to be as proxy, like what is he like and why he's so damn mysterious.
Speaker 8: Well, I haven't seen it in a long time. But he for me when I was younger, he was like a father figure to me. He's a great musician. He's a guitarist. I don't know if you know that he plays guitar. He was very, very a strict too, Like he told me, like he sat me down. He says, Okay, you're an artist. Now, you make sure when you go out, when you walk out the door, make sure you have your your clothes are together, make sure you look right. You know, when you're going to the grocery store, you gotta look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love looking but.
Speaker 8: No, he was.
Speaker 9: He was.
Speaker 8: He really believed him in my project, and he really believed in me. And I just wanted if John's listening, I love you, I miss you, and I hope to see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come and get your flowers on the show. Stop avoiding us. So the way that I uh was aware of you was actually because I was a major, major fan of Brian Lorin. Yeah, so you know Brian. His first single, Lollipop Love, was like a major jam in Philadelphia. So anything that I saw with his name on it, I was just like, oh, it must be a jam because he did it. So I didn't know about you whatever. And the thing that was really shocked about was Okay, So at the time, I was I hate sound like Grandpa. Before stream before before streaming, there was Columbia House and so right, so the way that Columbia House before streaming, the.
Speaker 5: Way that twelve albums for a dollar, right you get they get you to or it was the original Spotify.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like you get fifteen joints for free. But the hard part about Columbia House is that they will then send you a whole bunch of other records and if you don't want them, you have.
Speaker 3: To send it back, but charge you for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of knowing the lazy nature of how Americans are. Then it's like, I don't feel like mailing that back. So pretty much between.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was the scam. Basically, it's like, how like when you sign up for car.
Speaker 5: If you like streaming service, to give you like a trial period credit card and if you don't cancel it, then that was what Columbia's Okay, So the trick is to sign up with a car that's gonna.
Speaker 1: In your grandma yeah, expired like a week in your uncle's name, and your grandma is your next door name. So this is how like a line share of what I know about music, Like I didn't feel like mailing back those Debbie Gibson things. So she was troubling there like, well you really know my music? I was like, yeah, like I didn't feel like mailing the thing back, so I was like, all right, listening to what she has that's crazy. Yeah, So when I got it and I saw Brian Leman say all right, let me listen to it. But not only in my opinion, was the record adult, but it was actually like amazingly like ass kicking, because normally, I know, like when music comes from anyone under the age of twenty one, they'll really try to like pander to an artist, Like even Candy Girl feels like it's an elementary school jam, you know what I mean, Like not I can't imagine Lou Rawl singing to the music of Candy Girl. Yeah, but like no half step in and Yo, here's the funny thing. First car accident ever, I think he's so cute. Just came at the top, just came side too. So the music process of making that first record.
Speaker 8: Like how well I got to say this Before I get into Brian Lawrenn, I have to mention when I signed to A and M Records, the first producer I worked with was Tina Marie What. I was eleven years old. She wrote a song I'm gonna senditarybody because I want you to hear it. It was called you Met Your Match. She wrote that for me. I have I have a I have it on I just downloaded, so I'll send it to you guys. But I did a song with Tina, Ricky Bell and Rob Trestspan from New Edition produce a record on me. I did a whole album. I did a whole album that didn't that was never released because John wanted to change the direction. I had Dick Rudolph who was there to mean repertend. He was the executive producer, and I worked with Leon Ware. Wait, yeah, I have all these songs that was never released. So after a while my voice started to change and John said, no, I want to change the direction. So he put me in a studio with Brian Lawrenn and Brian Laren did that the Discovery did the whole album. We did that album probably in like two to three months, like it didn't take us long to record. But I was super I'm a shy person naturally, but I was super shy then. And I just remember in the studio Brian Laurn with all those ad libs and all of that stuff. Was Brian Laren like he said, do this, do this, try this, run, do this harmony. So I learned so much from Brian Laren. But towards the end, I gotta tell you, this story is hilarious. So I was really shy about ad libs and I'm just learning how to record and all this stuff. So he got tired of giving me all of my parts and my ad libs. So I was singing a song called the Way You Love Me? Right, okay, right, and so I'm waiting for him to give me the next part, the next ad lib and he's like, I'm tired of giving you ad libs. He said, you figure it out yourself, and he just let the track run and walked out the door. And I was and all of a sudden, at the end when I hit that long note at the end, I would I hit this long note, it just held it. And then that was my first time at living by myself. So I was super excited and Brian I did do unsung, and Brian I came on. He did my unsung with me, and he told me, he said, you know what I never got to tell you as a kid, but I was really proud of you. You know what you did on the Way You Loved Me. But he was very Brian Levren was very very hard on me, like very hard on me. When I did the whistle note on just the Game, he was like, I couldn't figure out how to hit the note. And he was like he pulled a lot out of me that I didn't think I had in me.
Speaker 1: For you over the hours, like like what's your general daily regiment for that period of making your first record? Like where's school balance? Where's home balance?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I think I was. I was still in school, so I would go to school and then right after school, I'd go straight to the studio and I literally I watched Brian like those tracks and everything. I watched I sit there and watch him write the songs and make the beats. And I would be in the studio till from getting out of school till like nighttime basically, and I would just sit there and watch him create the songs. And he played on everything like nobody there was no musicians on the record, Like Brian played the guitar, the bass, the everything on the record. Oh and Karen White sang backgrounds on kay Dance. Really, I know a lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, were you two allowed at all to have a say like I like the song, what do you think of this song? Like does that question ever get asked or was it like Okay, here's the chart and we're gonna just go song for song and this is what you're going to sing. Are you giving any leverage or agency?
Speaker 8: And back then I kind of just listened to the label back then. And as I got older, you know, I'm like, I kind of I know, you know, I started to learn who I am and what I like and what I don't like, and you know, but back then, no, I just I just listened.
Speaker 1: Now in your case, now, I know at the time when your first album comes out, you were eleven twelve, so I know you probably can't answer this question, but I always marvel, So yes, hide to see she was that was way too grown.
Speaker 12: About playing games.
Speaker 8: A different time different.
Speaker 1: The thing is that I brought this up on previous episodes before. There's this amazement I have whenever an album comes out and the first song is a balance.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I thought the same thing, right.
Speaker 1: And that's the first thing. I was like, whoa she opened, because I would have thought like, at least Symtms of True Love would be like the first song that would red carpet us to your world. But they started with Hide and Seek, so and yes, it was a mature song for an eleven year old to sink. So what was the process of you making your debut record?
Speaker 4: Similar to Shanese is in the sense that right after Star Search, I got phone calls from Capito CBS Records at the time, and from A and M too, but you were already signed and that they were like, well, that's not gonna make it. Like in their mind they're like, we can't have.
Speaker 13: Two Toddlers record.
Speaker 1: Is that really true? Because even like jan would have probably ran down here to have it, because he has his own questions, because even he said it was such an injustice. I mean, I can't get the quote right now, but he's like it was such an injustice because he feels as though because of Janet's presence there, like had you been on another label with that record, it would have yielded way different results. But do you generally feel does the consensus here at the table feel that that's true, Like there can only be one person of a certain.
Speaker 8: For some reason, I feel like there's room for everybody. It just don't put them out at the same time. But I think everybody everybody is unique in their own way. But with labels, for some reason, they have a hard time, like they picked one person.
Speaker 12: They want to really push.
Speaker 8: And then I feel like with the Discovery album, I felt like I kind of got lost in the shuffle. I really do, because I really did love what Brian did. I really loved my first I don't know what the.
Speaker 1: End results were was it? Was it a gold record?
Speaker 8: Or uh? Can you dance? I think we're number one in a billboard and everything. Uh as far as sales, I don't even remember thinking went gold. I think it went cold.
Speaker 1: But at that time in your life, did you I mean, did you have to worry with all to know?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: Were you like obsessively looking at billboard? And did you know what the bullet was? Did you?
Speaker 8: I didn't know at first, but I started I learned real fad. I just started learning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, wait, can we ask the ad lib question for Tracy in the album? Because now that I know how old you were, now I want to know when it came to the ad libs for those songs, cause I'm just seeing you in the studio singing hide and Seek.
Speaker 12: Like, why are you like it? With all this but not knowing that's how I used to sing it in my mirror?
Speaker 8: Why are you?
Speaker 12: Seriously though?
Speaker 7: But how do you do that as a young girl singing these words and just making it sound like you just know exactly what you're doing, exactly how people are supposed to feel when they listen to this song, like, how do you do that as a child?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's interesting because yeah, when people listen to it, they're like, you sound like you you might know.
Speaker 9: What you're talking about.
Speaker 4: I had no clue what I was talking about, but a lot of it had to do with my dad. He would sit in the studio with me and he would help me with ad libs. And the girl who did the demo because the producer was.
Speaker 1: Ali Brown, former Jackson's drummer, you know, and Jerry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she would sitting there and sit in the booth with me as well and help me get through it as well, because I mean, being in a studio was a whole new territory and I was working out of Ray Parker Junior's studio, and just the history behind that.
Speaker 1: Of course, they were both Stevie Wonders disciples, so of course, yeah, I see that connection now.
Speaker 7: And then singing, imagine who decided that you were going to this was the thing to sing?
Speaker 1: A manage?
Speaker 4: This is an interesting story. But I went to see the movie Cry Freedom. Okay, yes, and after seeing that movie, I've always been a huge Beatles fan too growing up, and something about seeing that movie remembering that song, and I remember into my remember saying to my manager, I said, I want to remake Imagine, and he's like, Weld's Capital should be easy to do.
Speaker 9: They were part of the were part of Capital, and so it was. It was. It was very easy to get that done.
Speaker 4: And I recorded it at in Capitol Records, at the studio, same studio.
Speaker 1: So it slight confession time, because again I love dismantling people's lord no, no, no no. I love dismantling people's thoughts of me and being like the all knowings are of music. But I'll admit that maybe the first time that I completely heard Imagine was her version. I knew it was John Lennon's, but it's not like I'm going to gravitate to his. And you know, John was always on bet and like everywhere, so brilliant. Yeah. I think most Beatles songs have come to me through black people first, and.
Speaker 14: Then yeah, I'm sorry, that's John.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So was was Ali the sole producer of the first record or did you work with multiple producers.
Speaker 9: I worked with a couple other producers. Do not ask me who they were at this point.
Speaker 1: One of them yes, Wayne, that's.
Speaker 4: The name of the and are the album okay?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But Ali Brown was brought into to help kind of shape and mold the album and create the sound to what they were looking for because at first they really didn't know. They were saying, let's, you know, dress her up and make her into like a mini Diana Ross. And as much as I'm going Diana Ross.
Speaker 9: I'd love to be done. And then my dad was like, I don't get it, Like, how is that going to work?
Speaker 4: And to put her in gowns and have you know, eleven year old prancing around singing loves and so they were like, okay, that's.
Speaker 8: Not going to work.
Speaker 9: They just didn't really know what to do.
Speaker 1: There was no precedent for any of you, because I mean, by eighty six eighty seven, you know, I mean we had a new addition, like someone young, but really, who are you guys looking up to as far as like your age proximity? Janet maybe, but even that, she's like twenty, so she like an adult.
Speaker 8: She was definitely running the industry then, definitely, but.
Speaker 1: To YouTube she seemed like an adult correct, like in our eyes, Yeah, we still had like Penny and Penny grew up a little bit and yeah, whatever, but.
Speaker 8: The addition that was good, Like I was a huge addition fan.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, yeah, I was listening to the Beatles, or I was listening to Whitney and yeah Whitney or three or.
Speaker 8: Some Yes, yeah we were listening to grown ups.
Speaker 12: Yeah we were sounded like.
Speaker 1: So can you talk about the process, because I mean both both these albums made impacts and splashes. Can you talk about the process of like what it was like promoting and especially like at the time when I do know that like between Debbie Gibson and Tiffany there was like mall activity and learning learning alternative at all.
Speaker 8: I never did a mall toy, did you ever do? I wait, wait, hold up, I'll take that back. I've done some all but I never did like a full toy. But I've done some parents and I've done some mall stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Those were weird.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I can't say I enjoyed them, no, but I enjoyed it because I love seeing all the people, Like I love seeing a crowd, and you know, people were singing my songs, and so I always I always enjoy whether that be at the mall or you know, in a theater. I just always loved seeing people.
Speaker 1: So what was your mall experiences?
Speaker 12: Like weird?
Speaker 4: Actually, the first song I ever sang at a mall, this is gonna be very very weird, was the Rainbow Connection.
Speaker 9: But I did have Kermit with me.
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 1: That's cool. I love this person, the founder, all right. So Bill Shermon right here. Uh, you know, in addition to his illustrious credits as part of the team that brought you Hamilton and and and the Heights and other things. But you know, Bill Shermon is basically the the Joe When I say the Joe ripos of Sesame Street. Uh, he all things music right now, like he runs Sesame Street. So and I just learned I'm talking about me. Move on, you know what. I just taking flowers Bill.
Speaker 8: I just did the Sesame Street did a reboot called the Megabuilders.
Speaker 1: I heard this today. Yeah, you guys know this.
Speaker 7: I did it.
Speaker 1: I don't work on that particular thing, but it is great and you sound I did listen to it today. Sound, thank you.
Speaker 8: So that was excited with.
Speaker 6: It's a cartoon with Elmo Abbey and Cookie Monster where they're they're they're like Superheroes superes.
Speaker 1: And the last and another episode is se Sime Street thinking about pivoting off of the formula that we know. I didn't.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I mean they just do like side other shows and a lot of more animated stuff.
Speaker 8: So this is just another it's animated.
Speaker 3: It's really cool.
Speaker 1: And you sound great songs, good sound great. Thank you people apar So okay, so you saying Rainbow Connection at the mall?
Speaker 6: I did nice at the all.
Speaker 9: That's the thing. It was my own personal kerment.
Speaker 12: Oh no, no, you didn't say that. Okay, that's definitely.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 12: Did do you know?
Speaker 7: I do?
Speaker 12: Not personally?
Speaker 1: But I okay, let's so. Can can you tell us what it was like working with na on your sophomore record?
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness. Working with Narda was the best. He did the whole entire album. Uh. The first day I met him, he said, write down a bunch of titles, like, just just come up with some titles off the top of your head. And I came. I came up with every title on the album except Silent Prayer. He had Silent Prayer already written with John Johnny, he had that already wtten. All of the titles Oh yeah, Yeah, he's very, very, very gentle and kind. But vocally like he pulled a lot out of me. All the songs were like in like a high range. I remember saying, Nay, can we bring the key down just a little bit. He says, no, you.
Speaker 1: Can do it, you can do it, so he pushes.
Speaker 8: He really pushed me.
Speaker 1: I was going to say for him to work with because he works with powerhouse singers like.
Speaker 4: With me.
Speaker 1: But he's so gentle that I can't imagine, Like in Luther's memoir, Luther talks about like does he have a kind.
Speaker 8: Of No, he was very yeah, like he pulled a lout of me. But like you said, he was very like kind and gentle and and in the studio there was candles everywhere, so it was like the environment was just really just calm and relaxing. So and then I'm a teenager and it just I don't know, it just it was great. I have no complaints. Every song that we did I just fell in love with. Like every song we recorded ended up on the album. There wasn't a song that we recorded that didn't make it, Like did I.
Speaker 1: Love your Smile? Was that the last thing you guys.
Speaker 8: Made I think that was Tours. I think it was Toys the end. It wasn't the last song, but it was towards the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's always the last thing recorded.
Speaker 8: I got to say this about I Love Your Smile. I came up with the title because people say I smile all the time, they say always. Really, I came up with the title. I helped. I co wrote the song with him and his team. But I didn't think it was the right first single.
Speaker 1: You think it was. You didn't know the song.
Speaker 8: No, I did it. I because at the time, I'm gonna be honest, I listened to a lot of hip hop, like I love rap, and I just felt like it's not hard enough, like it's too soft, it's too it's too happy, it's too you know. I said, people are gonna laugh at me and think I'm corny. And and so I remember sitting in Joe Busby's office and he told me I Love Your Smile is going to be the first single, and I said, no, it should be side in prayer with Johnny Gil don't put out I Love your Smile. And he says, I'm not changing it. It's I Love your Smile. And I remember crying. I was in his office crying because I thought it was the wrong first single. I was like, no, people are gonna love and because I've done and everything I wanted to, I wanted to be low key. I was a rapper in my head and so I wanted to rap. And I was like, but this rap doesn't sound hard, like empty Light and.
Speaker 1: Pepa, who are you looking at? At the time, I was.
Speaker 8: Like, this is what I wanted to be. Empty Light, so wow, the Salt Pepper, Queen Latifa, and as I got a little older, Little Kim like, no, that sounds crazy. I told Little Kim that I was a big fan and she was like, oh my gosh, you listened to my music. I'm like, yes, I love your music, so I'm a big hip hop fan.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, there's something there's something about that song that I don't know how to accurately describe earth Wind and Fires music, inters like, there's something so joyous. And what I specifically remember about the release of that song was that song came right when the Desert Storm war was happening.
Speaker 8: That's why I wanted Silent Prayer first because of the war.
Speaker 1: But what you don't know is. Yeah, it was. That was such a dark time, like.
Speaker 5: Barbenheimer right, exactly, such a dark time, but because the song, it was a joyous song. But I never I mean, I was God twelve I think when it came out. But but nah, man, that record it was. I was a huge hip hop fan as well, but that was always a song that it never it was joyous.
Speaker 3: But we never thought.
Speaker 5: It was corny, like we were.
Speaker 1: It to be hard. You just accepted you need a balance and that's the thing. And I understand what you mean, Like some artists don't like again, this is it's showing joy in that level of ability, like people think like you're weak or whatever, like come on, but that song, that song like was necessary. And even though like I'm at the time when what ninety one? Yeah yeah, I was like twenty, so not like I consider it my part of the psychographic like that your age. But even I was like, hey, this song makes me ask.
Speaker 8: I'm so glad I could make people happy with.
Speaker 1: That song and it still works today.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Wait, I gotta say this. I went online and Snoop Dogg was on Instagram singing I love your smile, and I was thinking back, like wow, I thought people were going to think I was corny and the hardest of the hardest Snoop Dogg is sitting there singing, I love your smile, and then Chris Brown thanks.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 8: I decided, oh my gosh, thank.
Speaker 12: You Chris, about a reinventtion of a song. What did you think when you first heard that?
Speaker 8: I loved it? What happened was I'm going to tell you how this happened. So Bill Bellamy called Flex and said, Chris Brown is trying to reach you in Shyese. And he was like, in Flex, said the singer Chris, and Bill Bellamy said, Noah, the preacher. You know they're comedians. So they so he gave gave us a Chris's number, and Chris just wanted to get my approval before the label, you know, had to clear it and all that. He wanted me to hear it first, to see if I approved it first and if I liked it, And they sent me the song. I loved it, and I'm like, yes, please do it.
Speaker 7: I carried that feeling, that joy feeling that was kind of crazy everybody between him and Beyonce, what they did to those two songs, like the Frankie Bever was a beautiful rebi.
Speaker 12: I just wanted to know the do do?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 12: Do do do?
Speaker 1: Do do?
Speaker 12: Was that on paper? Or was that just like, oh, I'm feeling this.
Speaker 8: We wanted to have like a catchy like we wanted to have something where like whatever language you speak, you know, you could sing along to it. So anybody could sing that, whether you're you speak Spanish, French, whatever. So that's where that camera.
Speaker 12: And why brand for Marcella's because that just felt.
Speaker 8: Well, you know what, I'm gonna be honest with you. Brandford Marcella's played on the song, and he played on it before I recorded, so I didn't get to work with brand for Marcello's. I still haven't even met Brandford Marcella. I promise you wait.
Speaker 1: Do we ask Branford about that? On his he teaches.
Speaker 5: Uh at my alma Model, North Colina Central and Durham. Okay, so he's still there.
Speaker 3: We had him on the joke a while, But.
Speaker 8: You want to talk to him. I would love to talk to him. We have a record together. We didn't even like, we've never been on stage together.
Speaker 7: It's possible, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: There's a question I've been dying to ask Okay, so climbing what I call Mount Minnie is a task. Why what was the process of making remaking Loving You for your album?
Speaker 8: You know, I was in the studio just playing around and Narda heard me just singing Loving You off the top of my head, and he was like, we got to do that, We have to do that. So I called Dick Rudolph and you know, he co wrote it, so he gave me the approval to do it, and we did it. And I love that song so much that I recorded twice. So I put out an independent project called every Woman Dreams in like two thousand and six, okay, and I put Loving You on it again because I love it. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: The process of you doing the Make the Difference record, what was different than the first time around? Besides obviously you being a little bit older and whatnot. Was there discussion on like where to go creatively or any of those things?
Speaker 4: And around time I even got to work with Narda Michael Walden too, And yes, because when I went to his studio and he had the Maryland Rode pictures, yeah he did of you.
Speaker 9: And yes love that picture.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And we never put those out.
Speaker 9: Knowing they're gorgeous.
Speaker 4: He had those at the studio and I went to meet with him just to like explore and try to come up with some ideas. And at the at that time, I had gotten approach to do a song for Super Mario Brothers.
Speaker 9: And I had just gone.
Speaker 3: Through okay, just like.
Speaker 4: Not for the video game, but for the first movie.
Speaker 1: This guy doing.
Speaker 4: No and so he wrote a song specifically for that, And I had just gotten out of I had just gotten out of a relationship, so I was like a little girl having.
Speaker 9: Issues.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, I totally forgot to ask, like what are your lives into at this point, and like because your celebrities and I'm certain that you're protected by family and whatnot and brothers and all that stuff. So and there's no cell phone, so you tell me back then.
Speaker 8: When we had kids, For me, my grandmother was my tour manager.
Speaker 1: Sheltered. My grandmother toured the world.
Speaker 8: She came with me to Japan, Europe and all those countries, and and my grandmother we shared a room together. I stay in the same room with my grandma. So yeah, I was very sheltered, which I'm glad because now that I'm older and I have kids too now, so I hear all the horror stories about how people can take advantage and all that stuff. So I'm glad that my family was there. But I remember being frustrated because I was like, I'm eighteen now, like can I have my own hotel room? I sleep in my own room. So I was very well protected, and I'm so glad I had my grandmother, my mom. My mom would travel with me, or my grandmother would travel with me.
Speaker 1: What's your social circle like at this point, like in terms of like friends, and like.
Speaker 8: I don't know, you want to answer, was that for her and me or both?
Speaker 4: My circle over time has gotten real small, and that's by choice, you know, either people grow with you or they grow away from you.
Speaker 9: And also.
Speaker 4: I don't have like a ton of industry friends. That was never really my thing.
Speaker 9: I have a lot of like regular people.
Speaker 1: You weren't hanging just kermit.
Speaker 4: I mean at the time, Like, yeah, when I was younger, most of my friends were industry because.
Speaker 9: That was my life.
Speaker 4: I was on the road all the time, and I went to Catholic school. But I didn't really get along with many of I didn't see them enough. I was just like this figure that kind of walked in in her plaid skirts.
Speaker 12: And walked right back out.
Speaker 9: They're like, who is she?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 4: It was very weird, a weird time. So I didn't have any friends, and.
Speaker 8: My friends I actually have the same I have the same friends since second grade and some of my friends still since still yeah, since high school and second grade. So when I find a good friend, I hold on too, like the real ones, you know. And and that's why Tracy. I never looked at her as an industry friend. Like I used to go and spend a night at her house and everything, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you two first meet?
Speaker 8: We can't remember how we met. We just notice.
Speaker 4: But we It was weird because, yeah, our personalities are kind of similar. It's like we do compliment each other with our personalities that when we are When we were together, we didn't.
Speaker 9: Really even talk about industry industry.
Speaker 8: We never talked about music or anything. We just laughed and hung out.
Speaker 1: Were your parents because I also know that some families will be like that's the competition, like no, no, no, But.
Speaker 8: My family, my family wasn't like that. But they could pick up on energy and if somebody wasn't cool, they'd say I don't know, the energy is not cool, but they never They've always loved Tracy. It was never issue with Tracy, but with a lot of there's a lot of industry people that my mom would go, oh no, no, no.
Speaker 9: We're not going to throw people. There are a lot of industry people that were not very.
Speaker 8: Kind, not very not very nice.
Speaker 9: They didn't really like us, with.
Speaker 12: Bad impressions too for y'all because y'all were like untouched.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no new addition, hangout and at the time, do you remember there's a question when you were signed to Capitol when you do interviews. They had first of all, they had someone to coach me to teach me how to do an interview because I'm very shy. I would give like yes and no answers and stuff like that. So they taught me that if you're in a relationship, you couldn't you had to lie about it. Yes, I had to lie like I had like a boy like if I had a boyfriend back then, I had to say, you couldn't. You couldn't say it in an interview they want because yeah, they said, well, boys, you're going to lose your matle fans if you have a boyfriends. I remember I did a lot of lion.
Speaker 1: But you know how especially in times where like where where zoom is not a thing, where the internet, like long distance is a real thing to Chang Chi Chin Chi ching? Was it also a lonely existence like being a goldfish in terms of like, you know, you're a product and you want to take time out and I want to go to this concert or I want to see that movie, or I want to hang what do you guys doing? We're going to the birthday party?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Was there ever those situations where it's just like you're living a life that most of your friends don't get to experience.
Speaker 4: That was hard because I liked sports and I ran track and I played basketball, and that stuff kind of got taken away from me.
Speaker 3: What was your track do you remember?
Speaker 8: I don't remember.
Speaker 9: I was good at I was really good at the one hundred meter dash. I'm very fast.
Speaker 1: I'm very fast, probably not an athletic.
Speaker 5: It's like one hundred meters, run as fast as you can, and yeah, the winner is the across project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you weren't singing, you would have probably.
Speaker 9: Been a track star. No, no, not at all. No for me, growing, growing, up. It was either singing or wanting to be a doctor, like I always had.
Speaker 12: What we heard you went to do?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 12: That was a rumor. It was like Tracy Spencer. I heard she was a veterinarian song.
Speaker 9: Okay, taking care of your pet?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: I am in medical school though, but okay, yeah, what year are you?
Speaker 1: You're going to be doctor Spencer?
Speaker 9: Not a doctor. I'll end up being a p A though that's the goal position.
Speaker 3: You can write scripts though you didn't write, and you can write scripts? Yeah, so what do you need something? I lived a lot of life.
Speaker 9: I really don't want to.
Speaker 3: Really far are you into completion?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: How much the program I'm in right now will be done by the summer. I have to do an externship and I think I'm going to do it in a surgical tech so it's like people who go in for surgeries and do pre ops and post ops and yeah.
Speaker 7: So I guess this means you won't be doing any Tracy Spencer shows because you know, you just had a whole resurgence and you're doing I'm figuring that out. I think I thought it would be a Tracy Spencer shawnees.
Speaker 4: We can tour and then I can do likees in the back, or we can I can give.
Speaker 9: You an IVY for hydration.
Speaker 8: Exactly, dude.
Speaker 1: We just all of the tour, we just dripping away flavor drips, fruity pebble drips. It was amazing diabetes, but it was in my life. I didn't I never knew there were so many flavors of drip ivy drips.
Speaker 12: I didn't it in your body.
Speaker 14: I'm sorry, I've never done it, but it is a real Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like you feeling in your taste buds and everything.
Speaker 8: Like I don't know about fruity pebble I never had.
Speaker 7: I don't think that doctors, but it feels but it's sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it tastes sweet like fruity pebbles, and it gives you energy. I guess so, because the tour.
Speaker 9: Does not.
Speaker 5: I would have asked you my favorite record of yours of all time. It's for you. Thank you, Michael Angelo from Portrait Record. You guys worked together anymore?
Speaker 8: No, it was myself, Michael Angelo and Eric from Portrait. The three of us wrote it together and it was for the Media Man soundtrack. And I just spoke to Michael Angelo actually recently. He just redid the track, So we're going to re release it. I'm going to re sing it and put it back out because they've the labeled that it's not you can't stream it anywhere. So I said, well, we might also just re recorded put it back out. That that's actually that's actually one of my favorite songs too. That was It was fun to work with them and I think they did an amazing job on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn man, many more questions and I know we got like mere minisan.
Speaker 8: I do want to say to say one thing. I'm in a musical called forty four and I'm playing Mistyell Obama. Oh wow, So I want everybody everybody go to the Bourbon Room. Go to forty four Obama Musical dot com or get your tickets. It starts October eleventh to November eighteenth, and it's at the Bourbon Room in La in LA and Hollywood, California.
Speaker 1: So how did this coming out?
Speaker 8: So Carrie Gordy Berry, Gordy's son Kerrie, Yes, Carry reached out to me.
Speaker 1: Does the word apollo mean anything to you? Yeah? Okay, I love There's nothing I love more than scaring Carrie or Benny Medina or any other member of that group Apollo.
Speaker 8: Just oh, I thought you met this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, y'all know about the Apollo No, in seventy eight all those guys, which which is weird because it's even connected to McLean. Like, there's this a period in the Lates Evan, these early eighties in which the first generation of teenage black Hollywood Cravitz's the Gordys Medina. Yes, they were like formed a group. Okay, you know, and you won't. I will say you have the episode.
Speaker 8: And also I have a I have a vegan lipstick line Vegan. Yes, what you're wearing right now, I'm wearing it right now. It's called Smile by Shinese. So please see goes around dot com.
Speaker 7: Is your reality show stream anywhere? Because I remember that was a whole er.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's I mean you can find on YouTube. I think it's on Open war Free's on Bones website. I think if you go to the website you can find like old episodes. And but yeah, we had a reality show for three seasons on.
Speaker 3: I want to also Kids Incorporated.
Speaker 5: One of one of my favorite singers that you're friends with, Patterson, that was I.
Speaker 1: Just reached out yesterday.
Speaker 8: No, he is in New York.
Speaker 1: He's in New York.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's on him.
Speaker 3: It was I mean this has been probably like this is overten.
Speaker 8: We want kids in corporate. I was the keyboard player and the dancer in the background.
Speaker 1: Kids. What year was your eighty four? I think, oh, damn okay, I was why I didn't realize that you were okay? All right? So as we rap, what does the future hold? Because they just can't stop at this, like, what is your no pressure?
Speaker 12: No, no, no, well, I mean combination is overwhelm.
Speaker 8: I mean, I would love for us to do a song together, definitely, like tour, tour together, some music together. That's that's what I would love.
Speaker 5: Tracy, in the midst of your doctor pursuits, do you you want to do music anymore?
Speaker 3: Do you still have desire to create?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: I do the going to going back to school. It's just, you know, we all have other things that we're interested in. And I mean I have a degree in psychology.
Speaker 9: I did all these because I just I like learning.
Speaker 4: I'm very passionate about learning.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like she's the modest type off.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the degree in psychology. She's currently in school and making it all work. She was at a talk show, but she's doing homework, Like this morning she went to Starbucks to do her homework.
Speaker 9: So she's making it.
Speaker 12: Children your wife too.
Speaker 4: No, I am not a wife. I have no children. I have a cat named.
Speaker 9: Georgia to keep them away.
Speaker 12: Yeah, some people you want to keep.
Speaker 1: That's like, oh, that's what's up.
Speaker 12: No strings, no strings.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So if it happens, it happens. But it's not like that's all right on the weekends and shows. You know, Yes, you've grown ups. I mean, here's another important thing though, too.
Speaker 4: I A lot of what's happened in the past several years too, was my father passed from leukemia and I helped take care of him. My mom passed in twenty twenty one, right before Thanksgiving. She had lung cancer, and.
Speaker 9: I helped take care of her. I yeah, so part of that.
Speaker 4: Also one of her things was she was like, you know, go back and finish school, but also do music. So for all this stuff to happen the way it's been happening, I just feel.
Speaker 9: Like, you know, I'm a very spiritual person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we talk about it that they're up there orchestrating all this.
Speaker 9: I fear that they brought it.
Speaker 11: I think they helped bring us all together and we did that jam session what three Dyes?
Speaker 1: And did this happen in your house?
Speaker 11: My living room?
Speaker 9: Party? Like it was just right.
Speaker 11: Chinese over to my apartment to say goodbye to Tracy because she was going back to Iowa.
Speaker 9: And that very day.
Speaker 11: Eld Barge called me in the morning and was like, hey, what are you doing this evening? And I said, well, come to think of it, Tracy Spencer and Shinese Wilson are coming over and he said, he said, what time do you want me to be there? Bringing show at my front door with his keyboard, keybooked it across town, Like he.
Speaker 8: Went over with his keyboard.
Speaker 12: What did y'all sing? What was the song?
Speaker 13: Every day?
Speaker 1: When he was just sea.
Speaker 11: It was, I mean, all of us felt like it was surreal.
Speaker 8: It was a dream.
Speaker 11: Even l couldn't believe it, and we all cried throughout the night. He was sitting there in my living room playing his keyboard for like three hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was That's what sparked me, like, wait, can we get them on the show because exactly we've been looking for you forever and looking for just to give both of your flowers.
Speaker 12: Manse, but thanks.
Speaker 7: He wasn't looking for Shaw because she was savinge Cod like you her husband.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really think it's important to just y'all because y'all, you know, we've seen so many you know, child singers, child actors that get into this game really young, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, and don't get out. They don't make it out.
Speaker 5: So just to see y'all sitting here today just still beautiful, still healthy, like still driving like that really is a blessing and I'm happy to be with you all today for real.
Speaker 1: Now it's Africa for the forty two hour clap SOI childhood. Yeah, this is an epic episode that will go down in the record books. And I thank you for this. I've been waiting for. Thank you so much. Is there anyone else that you.
Speaker 11: Have maybe I could.
Speaker 1: Do you Unclean?
Speaker 9: I can't reach out to Possible.
Speaker 8: I know, I got to reach out to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just yeah, we can get John McLean is like he treats us like the matrix like.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So man, this is amazing episode to be present. Yes, you guys, this is beautiful. So when we have a a little sugar Steve and uh Shna, thank you very much and I'm paid Bill and Laiah Sonny's and Tracy Spencer. Thank you for coming out of hiding this question.
Speaker 5: I We'll see you in twenty forty three.
Speaker 9: I'll be going back and hiding.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We'll see you next week and next around. Quest Love Sprien Right. Thank you for listening to Quest Love Supreme, hosted by Amir quest Love, Thompson, Why You, Saint Clair, Sponte, Coleman Sugar, Steve Mandel, and unpaid Bill Sherman. The executive producers are Amarra quest Love, Thompson, Seanch and Brian Calhoun. Produced by Brittany Benjamin Cousin, Jake Payne, Eliah Saint Clair, edited by Alex Conroy. Produced by iHeart by Noel Brown and Mike Johnson. Audio engineering by Graham Gibson at iHeart La Studio. What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.