Speaker 1: As I drew in my head and was turning around on the chimney, Saint Nicholas came with a bound. He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot, and his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot. He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot, and his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot. He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot, and his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind.
Speaker 3: My name is Robert Lamb and I am Joe McCormick. And today we're going to be kicking off a series of episodes on the fireplace and the hearth, the infrastructure through which humans brought their campfires indoors, inside their homes and other dwelling structures. We're gonna look at how fire places work, where they come from, and what they mean. And just got to apologize again this week like I did last week. I've still got a cold. It's either round two of this cold or a whole new cold has come into my life. So so apologies for the sinus noises today, but I'm doing what I can.
Speaker 1: Twelve days of Christmas over there, Yeah they're gathering around the fire, but anyway, Yeah, so I wanted to do a series of episodes looking into fireplaces.
Speaker 3: And sometimes when you're trying to understand what an experience means to people, you can really get some good insights by looking at attempts to simulate that experience in its literal absence, like which elements do people consider worth copying, which elements can be ignored, which elements are accentuated or exaggerated in simulation. And this got me thinking about the Netflix mega hit Fireplace for Your Home, which, for those of you somehow not familiar, is an hour long, unbroken shot of logs burning in a fireplace, and it is the hottest movie of the year for I don't know, seven or eight years running whenever this thing started playing on Netflix. I just checked on Netflix and there are three episodes. This is not a sponsored episode, by the way. Netflix had nothing to do with this. I just think this is an interesting subject on its own, and we'll explain more as we go on. But I checked on Netflix and there were three episodes of season one of fireplace for your home. There's crackling yule log fireplace. That one's the one that plays music like Joy to the World and we wish you a Merry Christmas kind of Muzaki versions of them. Yeah, And then there's the second one that's just crackling fireplace, so no music. You just get the pop, the hiss and all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: And then there's a third one with music, again I guess in different music than the first one. I don't. I think we mainly just listen. The one we put on is the one without music.
Speaker 1: That's the way to go. You can add your own music that way.
Speaker 3: So I don't remember what year it was we first discovered this thing, but it has played a number of times in our household, and so I was wondering, Rob, do you do you have experience with this thing?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. You know, I've never owned or rented a home that had a hearth or a fireplace in it, not even like some of the scaleback versions where it's like gas generated and you know, or has some sort of other effect. So I have to depend on what a lot of people have to depend on for the spiritual center of their home and that's the television, and so of course I fire up a fake fireplace, and the one that's been our favorite for several years running now is on Netflix. So again, credit, where's credit? Where credits do? They'll cancel your favorite shows after two seasons, but they will give you an amazing virtual fireplace, and our favorite is Netflix The Witcher Fireplace. It is a Witcher tie in and it's not much to it. It's simple, it's awesome. It's just kind of a medieval fantasy world fire pit, like you know, wrought iron or something. It's blazing, it's crackling. There's no Henry cavill or Unifer back there and a hot tub or anything like that. It's just the fire pit and it's great. My only criticism is that it's only an hour long, and I either can't or I don't know how to put it on repeat, because I would just prefer to have it on all the time during the holidays.
Speaker 3: What's this emblazoned on the side of it? Is it like a kraken or something?
Speaker 1: Ah, since I've seen this show, that's probably like some sort of a monster. You know, Henry Cavell is a monster hunter. And that the Witch is a monster hunter and that's I don't know, a chimera or something.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know the Witcher from the game, the third game specifically. But yeah, so this thing does look really cool. I'll have to look this one up this year. But it's like sexy wrought iron brazier for your home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's cool. Yeah, I legitimately love it.
Speaker 3: So I think Fireplace for Your Home and it's many derivatives are interesting cultural artifacts because on one hand, they're just like a genuine holiday fixture in millions of homes. I couldn't find any reliable sources on viewcount because Netflix doesn't release that kind of stuff as far as I know. But in an interview with The Independent in twenty eighteen, the director of Fireplace for Your Home, George Ford, I'll come back to this in a minute, estimated that it had been it had been watched more than seventy million times in twenty eighteen. No idea if he's right about that, But how am I going to argue with him? But at the same time, I think it's funny that people are putting this on to be cozy and feel good at Christmas time, and yet this movie is also a source of ironic amusement, Like when you bring it up, people kind of there's something funny, Like they find something kind of goofy about the idea of a cozy fire happening inside their television. And if you look at reviews, most of the reviews for this thing are jokes. They're things like, you know, zero stars, nearly burned down my house. It's like the joke is with the incongruity of the fact that this is not a real fire.
Speaker 1: It's not it won't it won't put out heat. And if it is putting out heat, there's probably something wrong with your television set. I mean, it'll put out a little heat, right, Like, you shouldn't be putting out a lot of heat. You shouldn't actually be able to warm your buns by it.
Speaker 3: You hope it's not putting out a lot. This is actually this is kind of a tangent. But I got interested thinking about what makes the difference between lovable holiday kitch like fireplace for your home and a divisive experimental art film like Andy Warhol's Empire, which if you're not familiar with Empire, this is worth looking up. It's an eight hour static shot of the illuminated upper floors of the Empire State Building. I think it was actually filmed over the course of roughly like six hours, and then it's supposed to be played back at slow motion, so the film takes like eight hours to watch. It was filmed over the course of one night in July nineteen sixty four, and you're just watching the buildings, like the sun sets and the floodlights come on, and you just watch the building through the night, and occasionally there'll be you know, a plane going by or flashes of light or something like that, but otherwise it's just a static shot. Obviously, the movie Empire is more likely to be regarded as either an important work of art with something interesting to illustrate about passage of time or the aesthetics of film, or, on the other hand, to be seen as a pretentious, self infatuated, artistic boondoggle. Fireplace for your home does not really invite either of these types of appraisal. It's just you know, cozy holiday kitsch. However, I would say that an hour long shot of a burning fireplace and an eight hour shot of the floodlights on top of a skyscraper have a lot of similarities. Both are what you might call slow or atmospheric films without plot, characters, or dialogue, primarily interested in just a purely aesthetic experience, maybe causing maybe something about causing the viewer to have time to relax and reflect without something directly taking up their attention to too aggressively. And both of them, in terms of visual display, are based on the interplay of light and shadow. I read somebody described the glowing crown of the building featured in Empire as a chandelier in the sky, and based on an interview I was looking at it's clear that fireplace for your home. It took a lot of care to try to get the right interplay of lights and colors in the fire and how they would be picked up by the camera and the contrast of that with the shadows in the room around. And so I was thinking about if I had to single out a major difference, like what would make the difference between the kinds of feelings people have about them? Apart from the length difference, I think a big thing is that there is an understanding of a different expectation put on the viewer, Like if you were asked to watch Andy Warhol's Empire. People probably think that they're supposed to like sit silently in an art house theater and look at the screen the whole run time and think deep thoughts, whereas fireplace for your home makes no such demands. You probably just put it on in the background while you're having coffee or while you're wrapping presents or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting to think about the different ways we're supposed to or do, interact with various media. Like I was thinking about this recently. I went to a performance that was maybe a little dry for my taste, and in the same way, you know, you sometimes say, well, this meeting could have been an email, I kind of felt like this performance could have been an art installation, you know, something where I walk through it, I spend as much time with it as I want and sort of like gain what I want from looking at it walking through it and so forth. You know, I think we've all been to This also sometimes breaks down into actual video pieces, right where you'll see like short short films or even longer pieces, and yeah, you could watch them all in their entirety, or you could sort of pass through and get a general sense of it, and then on the other end, of the spectrum. Like you look at the way people often treat their favorite television shows, be it to you know, something's often something they have a lot of nostalgia for. You hear people talking about, say The Office or a Siginfeld or something like that, and they talk about, well, you know, I just like to put it on in the background while I'm working. It just put it on while I'm working or you know, doing things around the house. And you know it's you're kind of treating the office like one of these virtual fireplaces, something that is just generating a feeling in the background of some stimuli in the background that you're not one hundred percent focused on. In fact, I would say if you are one hundred percent focused on one of these fireplace videos, that may be a warning sign. You know, it's like that's why not. I mean, however, you engage with your art, that's fine.
Speaker 3: Or it could be you're just trying to find the warholiness of it. I mean, on the I have read strange kinds of interpretations of fireplace for your home. Was reading something that referred to an almost Lynchian meditation on the synthetic and alienated faces of holiday cheer. That you could see in fireplace for your home if you're looking for it. But I was thinking about it in the opposite direction, with the contrast with the Andy Warhol movie. You could be like wrapping Christmas presents and you could put Empire on in the background. It might not feel any less appropriate. The other day, I just watched part of Empires, like you can find it online, and however orthogonal this is to Warhol's intensions, it actually does feel quite seasonally festive. There's something about like the art deco design of the Empire state building and the floodlights against the dark knight skies, extremely cozy and felt like Christmas time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there have been a number of interesting related I guess ambient audio visual experiences. Netflix hosted multiple moving art works by Lewis Schwarzberg. This is the guy who also directed the twenty nineteen film Fantastic Fun Guy, which is more traditional in its structure, But the moving art show, I guess, you know, they were like one hour long each, maybe less. You know, It's just pleasing music, a lot of cool ambient nature footage, and it's like great stuff. It was great stuff to take a nap to, you know. But still have something visual going on in the room as well. Disney has also got in on this with some great long ambient Star Wars themed av presentations like it'll be a landscape of Hath or something like that. So it seems like, you know, enough people were doing this kind of thing they realized, well, let's put that out there. I mean, we also have sort of screen savory type things that pop up on Apple televisions right and various apps and so forth, where instead of just looking at an ad, they're going to show you a city scape or something like that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know about the Star Wars thing.
Speaker 1: I don't look that up. They're pretty good Wampa attacks to study, relax to yeah, well yeah, nothing really happens. Maybe a spaceship flies over, you know. Yeah. They keep it chill, they keep it ambient. And it's an interesting I mean, because the idea of the TV being on NonStop as being this flood of ideas into your home and into your life, like this is nothing new. We've been doing this, We've been using our televisions like this since we've had televisions, and it's it's really almost kind of a refined idea to think, well, you know, let's let them have an hour two hour blocks of just you know, very ambient, chill audio visual stimuli instead of just NonStop ads and so forth.
Speaker 3: I don't know, well, yeah, yeah, and I mean and part of the reason I brought this up is to think about the the similarities and differences in the way people are now seeming to use a TV like would once or in many cases still do use a fireplace as a primarily you know, not primarily to heat the house, but because they probably have another heating system as well, but as an esthetic experience. It's something that supplies a kind of mood or ambience to the room that makes you feel a way you want to feel, or helps you focus your attention in a way that you want to Anyway, I just wanted to mention a couple of funny things that I found out about because I read a couple of interviews with the creator of Fireplace for Your Home, an American director named George Ford, who lives in Washington State, whose primary job is, or at least was at the time of these interviews, running a pet supply company, but he also directed a number of these like static shot genre films. One is like a mountain stream flowing. There's another thing of like fish bopping around in a saltwater aquarium. But apparently this started with him making these cat entertainment DVDs, the goal of which is to like drive your cat insane with images of mice running all over the place.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. There are various YouTube accounts that specialized in this sort of thing as well, and some of those can be quite cheerful, you know, until the YouTube ads cut in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess YouTube must have really cut into the DVD market for these things. He used to like twenty years ago you'd pick up in Pet Smart or something. But anyway, these interviews, one of them was with The Independent in twenty eighteen and others with CBC in twenty twenty two. A few takeaways that seemed interesting to me. This guy was inspired in part by pre existing hearth and fireplace films, So Fireplace for your Home not the first thing of its type. One example is a film that used to run on Christmas even Christmas on the New York TV market. It was on a station called WPIX, Channel eleven. This started in the nineteen sixties and it was this thing that was like two to four hours long depending on the instance, that would play a video loop showing a log burning in a fireplace with Christmas music playing over the top. And I read in turn that this was the idea of somebody who worked at this TV station who was inspired by like a Coca Cola commercial that he saw. But another thing from these interviews is that Ford talked about how his kids would keep begging him to build a fire around the holidays because you know, yeah, I remember when I was a kid, I wanted a fire in the fireplace. That was fun. And it occurred to him that it would be easier too, in his words, quote, just place a television inside our fireplace, hearth easier than to keep making a real fire. So he like pitched this to Netflix multiple times. They initially ignored him or laughed him off, but eventually he got some traction. And he claims again it can't verify this, but according to the director, the First Fireplace for Your Home film took him two years to make and cost almost thirty five thousand dollars to produce. This would not be Netflix money, by the way. It was actually that he made these films independently, and then I think sold the Distro rights to Netflix later on, like, how on earth could it actually be that difficult? Well, again, can't verify the figures are true, but the explanation kind of makes sense to me. Speaking to The Independent, he said, quote, we battled timing issues, color audio and general high resolution problems along the way. Special cameras have to be used around flames, and only certain color temperatures work. That's why you just don't see an open flame much in movies. And I was like, oh, that is interesting. You know, I think for a cozy fire on a TV screen, we kind of have some criteria that we might not even be aware of. But we'd like to see the warmer colors of the fire, don't We want some red, orange and yellow. But a roaring fire on camera, especially not the right kind of camera and not the right kind of shot, just doesn't always look like that. I can think of a lot of old movies and video where camera where a camera catching a fireplace looks either just like a white glare or it's like invisible somehow.
Speaker 1: M that's a good point. Now I'm going to have to be extra judging when I watch films with fireplaces in them.
Speaker 3: Apart from the technical concerns. This gets back to the things about like what elements of the simulation are important to capture. They also went through a lot of tries actually getting the logs to burn right in like an aesthetically pleasing way. They wanted the right sounds of like a crackle and snap and a visually symmetrical flame. And also to make the fire in such a way that it requires no intervention so you don't have to keep like poking it reaching in front of the camera. And another hilarious thing that I did not know so you filled me in about the Witcher themed fireplace, But according to this guy, Netflix did a fireplace tie in with some dystopian movie they made called Bright and they summarized this, I haven't seen this movie, but it's like it's got like elves and orcs in what is otherwise just a buddy cop movie. And they called this burn barrel for your home.
Speaker 1: I have not seen this one, but I mean, in general, I'm all for this. Let's have let's have more of these. I'm just looking around. It's possible that they just unleashed one for squid Game. If so, excellent, keep it keep it going. I need all Netflix series. I'm really kind of pissed we didn't get one for Gama Do Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. We knew we really needed, like a linel lasseter themed a fireplace that would have been ideal.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like a fireplace that that talks extensively about what kind of drink it's making you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, I mean, but seriously, can you imagine if Panels Coos Motos did a fireplace hour long video for Netflix? That would be amazing. Imagine how glorious that fireplace would.
Speaker 3: Look some kind of creature slowly melting. Oh but one last thing about the fireplace director. Speaking to the CBC, they ask him why do we love to stare at a fireplace even if it's not putting out heat like a real woman would. He mentioned a number of things, but one that he mentions this might seem kind of obvious, but he says, you know, a fireplace looks like safety, and I think that's true. Something feels very like safe, enclosed and contained about it, which is funny because actually, like putting a fire inside your house is one of the more dangerous things you might do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but like this is the place to do it, and it's it's the thing that we have, and it's the thing we have a very long history with, you know, our you know, going back through times, will be discussing like this is what the house was built around. It is the heart of the house. It is the center of the house, and it is therefore the center of your lives.
Speaker 3: That's right. So I don't know if I meant to end up talking that long about fireplace for your home. Apologies it was a bit much, But I don't know. I think it does raise some issues that I might want to keep returning to as we think more about the fireplace and what it means to us over the course of the next couple episodes. But one thing I did want to cover briefly is the prehistory of human control of fire. Now, we've gone into this in depth in other episodes, so we're not going to rehash all that material in the same level of depth here. I just wanted to do a sort of quick overview of some things we've talked about. A paper we've referenced on the show before that is highly cited on this subject is from twenty sixteen published in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. B by JAJ. Gawlett called the discovery of fire by humans a long and convoluted process. Now, this paper posits that human control of fire in prehistory probably constituted three general phases, and the first stage would be humans engaging in something we actually see in other animals, which is fire. Following this would be opportunistically taking advantage of natural fires caused most often by lightning strikes, lightning striking brush, but less often by like weird ignition sourcesvolcanic eruptions, but whatever the cause of the fire. This phase would be humans notice a natural fire is occurring and then swoop in to take advantage of it in various ways, like to capture prey that is flushed out of hiding, or to scavenge and eat a prey that has been killed and maybe even cooked by the fire in some way like oh, it's nicely roasted now, or to in various other ways take advantage of natural resources revealed or transformed by a burn. And then after the wildfire foraging stage, you've got the second and third phases, which postulate control of the fire within the living space. So the second phase is domestic fire primarily used for cooking and safety. And then the third phase is what you might call industrial fire, the transformation of used for the transformation of resources and technology, like the production of baked pottery, and so going into the second and third phases, you see this sporadic an opportunistic relationship to rare natural fires transform into the capture and maintenance of fire first, like feeding a fire continuous fuel to keep it burning after you've caught it from a natural source. And then eventually humans would learn to strike fire from nothing with implements like flintstone's and tender Now what's the general timeline for these early stages of fire control. Well, it's messy and it's still debated. The oldest evidence that anybody seriously proposes for human control of fire goes back to our hominin relatives roughly one to two million years ago, So at the farthest it might go back like two million years but this evidence is ambiguous. So you can have things like charred or baked remains buried at a site that was occupied by hominins around the same time between one and two million years ago. But with these cases it's not always clear if this is the result of deliberate fire control or of natural burning and like scavenging of burned materials. Gallot in the paper mentions a couple of sites of this kind in Kenya containing like burned sediments, stone tools that appear to have been altered by heat, and a couple of large hunks of baked clay, but again it's not clear if these are from natural fires or controlled burning. A lot of the archaeological investigation for the emergence of fire control has focused on looking for what are called hearths. In the literature, that's going to be a little bit different than the way we're using hearth primarily in these episodes, because this would not necessarily refer to indoor fireplaces, but could refer to any dedicated place for burning. So, in like the archaeological papers, a hearth just means the remains of a place that was used for a purposeful fire, and there is pretty unambiguous evidence for hearths starting several hundred thousand years ago. There are more traces of human associated burning beginning around one million years ago, and then the hearths really start popping up in Africa, Asia, Europe, in the Middle East around four hundred thousand years ago when you start seeing a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just based on materials I've been looking at. The exact usage of the term hearth is going to depend on a large part on exactly what the researchers and or the paper or the book is dealing with, Like are we dealing with with an age in which people are living in homes or some other situation, and then the exact nature of the homes varies as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hearth in the main way we're using it in this series is going to refer to a piece of infrastructure in a home, like a constructed enclosure made of fireproof materials that contains the fireplace.
Speaker 1: Right. But there may be a time or two where we use the term hearth and you might think are they talking about a home? Well, in a few cases we might be referring to some material that's dealing with some other situation. But yeah, for the most part, we're dealing with hear, hearthstones and gotten something along the lines of a fireplace.
Speaker 3: Now, there are tons of ways that gaining control over fire transformed humankind. Of course, one thing is it would have expanded our geographic range, making it easier to migrate into colder climates and higher altitudes. It allowed us to expand our technological regime through the transformation of natural resources. Again, a very good example is pottery fired pottery, but also things you might not think of as readily, like adhesives for hafting, the famous birch bark tar that we talked about in some episodes in the past, and other things you know you can make like various glues out of natural substances that involves some element of heating. Also the heating of stones for improved napping. Some silicon based stones they nap better, you know, they flake off into the kinds of sharp edges that you're looking for with a napping exercise if you heat them the right way. But a big thing, of course, is the importance of cooking. The importance of fire for cooking really hard to overstate. Now there is a real scholarly debate about the extent to which cooking actually could have transformed the human body. This is known as the cooking hypothesis. The base idea is that the ability to cook otherwise hard to digest foods actually steered hominine evolution, changing not just our culture but our bodies. Allowing us to grow more powerful brains by devoting less energy to a hardy gut. Though I should stress that the cooking hypothesis is not proven. There are arguments against it, mainly having to do with the timing that would be required and lack of evidence for control of fire at the required times. So we don't know about the cooking hypothesis hypothesis in terms of human evolution. But what cannot be doubted is that the invention of cooking massively expanded the base nutrition yield of food we acquired. So it just made it possible to get a lot more nutrition out of your food. And it also made food safer by calling food borne pathogens and neutralizing some plant toxins. So it just unlocked a gigantic level up in nutrition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a real sort It's often described as kind of an externalization of digestion, like a lot of the chemistry of digestion and potential chemistry of digestion handled outside the body, taking the strain off of the body, making things that we could need otherwise edible or more nutritious and so forth. Yeah, and then there's you know, additional areas you can get into, like food preservation and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also with control of fire, you have protection against wild predators which tend to be afraid of fire and are easier to drive away with it. And then finally you've got provision of light in the darkness. And the way in which fire provides light in the darkness I think is interesting because of how it is different from the light provided by the sun, and to say nothing of the way that it's different from the kind of light provided by electrical light sources that we have today. That's something I want to come back to in part two, to think about the particular light regime of fire based societies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is something I was thinking a lot about recently. When I visited Wales with my family. We went to Saint Fagan's National Museum of History, which has a lot of these historic Welsh buildings that have been moved to this area where you can check them out, you can walk inside them, and in many of these buildings they had a fireplace going and that was often like the main form of illumination and there may or may not even be any windows, and it's such an insight into times when you would be inhabiting an indoor environment like that. You know, we were totally spoiled for indoor illumination. These days, you can have your house generally as bright as you want it, like astoundingly bright. But it's an interesting experience to sort of step back in time and appreciate like the challenges and not to say that they were restricted only to the hearth fire. There are other you know, tricks you could could you could utilize to up your elimination, but you were limited. Uh and yeah, it's it was a different world.
Speaker 3: And specifically, one of the things I want to come back to in part two is ways that that limitation could actually be create a kind of freedom or open opportunities for other things that that are not as a parent if you're just in a daylight type of light or in a very bright electrical lighting scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, in addition to like the obvious, like it's dark, maybe we should go to sleep. Yeah, it's sometimes a kind of a revelation to modern humans. It's like it is nighttime, I could sleep, I could turn all of this off, and we often don't do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was about to be like, stop staring at your phone right before bed, which I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really hard to shake. It's our little heart we bring to bed with us, our little fireplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, well, so from here for the rest of today's episode, I wanted to talk briefly about how fireplaces are normally constructed, how they normally work in the modern sense, and then Rob, I know you had some stuff you wanted to get into about fireplaces as kind of magical portals. But okay. So one of the things is that obviously, once humans started to build houses, to build enclosures to live inside, it can be easy to see why you would want to have the heat and light benefits of a fire inside the protection of the dwelling and not just outside. But this actually is not as easy as it sounds. You're presented with several concerns. One is, how do you keep the fire from burning down the house. To do so, you would need to build the fireplace kind of away from any flammable walls or furniture, or if it is touching walls, you would need a fireplace system built into non flammable infrastructure made out of something like stone, brick, clay, or metal. Other big thing this is huge, how do you keep the fire from filling your house? Up with smoke. You need to have some kind of channel through which smoke and hot gases can escape the building. Modern fireplaces are equipped with dedicated flues and chimneys, as we'll talk about in a second. But as we see, many early indoor fireplaces had more had cruder ventilation systems, often consisting of simply a hole in the roof directly above the fire. And this would work to a degree, but it also meant that, yeah, for like thousands of years, a lot of buildings that housed indoor fires were just going to be pretty smoky inside.
Speaker 1: I definitely got a taste of some of that at St. Fagan's. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, basic modern fireplace and chimney design goes roughly like this. Usually you've got the fire box. This is where the fire goes, built on top of what's called a hearth. This is the more specialized use of the word hearth. This is the base of the fireplace that is made out of some kind of fireproof material, often bricks or stones. And this material, of course is meant to absorb heat from the fire and then heat the room that it's in by radiating that heat back out into the air. Now, above the firebox You often have like a decorative shelf called a mantle, but that's not really part of the mechanics of the fireplace. That's just a common decorative feature. The channel above the firebox leading to the outside is what's called the flu, and then the flu is surrounded by the structure that we call the chimney. A lot of times the flu is slightly offset from the firebox, so it's not just a pipe straight up. Instead, it'll be kind of set off to the side or behind, and it will be the FLU will be positioned directly above something that is called the smoke shelf, where soot or anything that happens to penetrate the flu opening on top of the roof, anything comes in from outdoors can fall without landing directly on the fire. Instead, it falls onto this shelf. Often also there is a damper which allows you to close off the flu when there's no fire burning to stop cold air from coming down in the chimney. Very important to remember to open the damper before lighting a new fire.
Speaker 1: This is especially true. Yeah, if you're staying in a cabin or something it's not your home, maybe back at your own house, you're not used to using a fireplace. It is an absolutely necessary step.
Speaker 3: Now, we all know that a fire needs fuel and heat to burn, but it's also important to remember that it needs oxygen. So airflow is important in determining how a fire burns and also in determining what effect a fire has on the house and its occupants. The majority of the interior heat provided by a fireplace is radiant heat. It's the infrared radiation coming off of the fire itself and then also coming off of the heated parts of the hearth or whatever is enclosing the fire, so coming off of the heated bricks or stones, or the metal. If it's more of a stove design, I'll talk about that in a second. But there is an irony to this beloved fixture of the fireplace. Way back in the eighteenth century, Benjamin Franklin wrote about how inefficient fireplaces were actually were at heating indoor spaces, just huge amounts of wasted energy. He noted that the majority of the convective heat that they produce just rushes straight up the flu and is lost to the outside air. And this is often true, though it can vary depending on particulars of the fireplace design. In fact, here's a weird thing. A lot of people might not know. A fire in the fireplace can actually make your house colder overall. So this again depends on particulars, depends on the design of the fireplace and the chimney, particularly how the vinylation system is configured. But in a lot of cases, you build a fire in the fireplace and it will increase the temperature in the area directly around the fire, you know, mostly again by way of radiant heat coming off the fire and the heated stone or brick or metal of the hearth. But meanwhile that fire is sucking in air from the inside of your house, relatively warm air, probably if it's winter time and you have the heat going, or just you know, there's warm stuff happening inside the house and so it's warmer than the air outside. So this air from the rest of the house is being sucked into the fireplace to feed the fire, and then the convection of the hot gas plume rising up through the flu is driving it outside as it gets superheated. As hot gas and smoke rushes up the chimney, a vacuum is created and more air continues to flow in from the inside of your house to the fireplace system, and thus a vacuum is created in the rest of the house, and then cold air is in from outside through whatever cracks your house has, cracks in the doors and windows and so forth. So plenty of tests have shown that an inefficient fireplace may feel warm to the room right there in front of the blaze, but actually freezes out the rest of the house. They even did an episode of MythBusters where they featured this one time. I haven't seen this, but I read about it, and I read that in their particular test rooms farther away in the house got a couple of degrees celsius colder.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating, and it makes me think back on times I've been in houses where there is a fireplace, and I'll, I mean, I will often find myself in this situation where it's like I'm somewhere else in the house, start feeling kind of chilly. Then I have to go like right next to the fireplace to warm up, and this pattern kind of continues. Yeah, and now I'm realizing it could be in part due to the presence of the fireplace to begin with, this inequality of temperature.
Speaker 3: Now, there are ways to improve the heating efficiency of a wood fire a one is to replace it with a wood is to replace your open fireplace with a wood stove. So this would be a fireplace completely enclosed in a metal box, which uses air more efficiently. It sucks less cold air into your house, and also it radiates heat into the house more efficiently, like the metal can radiate in all directions. You might notice a traditional stone or brick fireplace is usually built into a wall, whereas a wood stove is more often closer to the middle of the room and can radiate in all directions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my late father in law was really into like passive solar and design and houses and you know, not quite like living off the grid kind of stuff, but like all the things you could do with a house to sort of like limit the need for electricity and so forth, and like that was a Keith aspect of his home design was having that wood stove. And yeah, it's not stuck in the wall, it's like out there basically in the center of the house.
Speaker 3: And we might talk more about this in part too. But there are also designs that improve the heating efficiency because they don't draw air from the interior of the house. Instead, they've got like an external intake vent of some kind feeding a fire that heats a structure made of again a fireproof material like brickstone or metal or tile, and then that radiates heat into the building, but the airflow system just doesn't really connect to the inside of the house. That also is a way of improving the heating efficiency. Though there's an interesting sort of a converse implication here which I discovered. Shout out one of my sources on fireplaces and how they generally work here was how stuff Works article our old employer. This one was by John Kelly, so a nice job, John, But basically the idea here is that if you notice you're building a fire and it's like having a hard time burning and the damper is open, and yet there's still a lot of smoke coming into the house, a problem could be that the house is too well sealed, like the doors and the windows are too well sealed, and the fire is not able to create this efficient river of air from the outside into the house into the fireplace, up the flu and then back outside. So instead it's pulling some air down the flu which is causing a counter draft and sending smoke into the room. So if you are having this problem, one thing to try is like opening a window, though of course that's going to let a bunch of cold air in, so that may just be the price.
Speaker 1: Wow, I had never thought about that, huh.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I'm just thinking about the implications of a fireplace often making the rest of the house colder, even while it makes one or two rooms much warmer. And this made me think about an unintended secondary effect of wood fire heating being the tendency to cause people to gather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a great point. Yeah, drawing people to the hearth, to the fire, drawing them together, and thus and thus becoming like a center of the family of social interaction, storytelling and so forth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like a sort of unstated little punishment for being off by yourself. It's just gonna make your room colder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you know it is. It is Christmas time, and so a lot of folks are engaging in different fireplace related traditions, the hanging of stockings and so forth. And what do you traditionally hang your stockings? Why you hang them by the hearth. You hang them above the fireplace. And of course we have tales of Santa Claus, or perhaps they masquerading grinch entering your home by crawling down your chimney and climbing in through the fireplace. This is this is one of those I think examples of the fireplace as a portal, fireplace as a as a gate through which something may travel that it's almost too close to us. You know, we grow up with this tradition, we're told it from an early age. We're familiar with this story before. We're familiar with many of the foundation stories of our own religions, you know, and important cultural other important cultural tales, arguably more important cultural tales. We have this story of a strange old man who climbs through the fireplace, again, almost too close for us to even think about it. We'll come back to that in a second. But another way, of course, that and this is one that may resonate more with fireplace owners, people who actually have hearts in their home, is the reality that, okay, as a literal aperture to the outside of your home, it is possible for animals to climb down that chimney and potentially enter your home. They may be prevented full access to the home by bats, raccoons, mice various squirrels are some of the examples of potential chimney splunkers. I know I've encountered bats in this manner before at a friend's house, where like a bat or two would come into the chimney, get trapped in the house, and then you would find them, often in the sink trying to get water. WHOA, yeah, I came to this house like some it was, you know, it's like a vacation home or something, so nobody had been in it for a little bit, and I saw something in the sink and I'm like, oh, someone left a tea bag and I almost grabbed it throw it away, and then I, oh, that's a bat. And then I had to call my friend and be like, what's your bat protocol? The bat was fine, thiss.
Speaker 3: Never even occurred to me. I cannot relate. That's but that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Now. This idea, though, of a chimney is a portal through which other worldly powers may traverse, such as Santa Claus. This is a pretty deeply seated concept, certainly in European traditions, but you can also see examples of similar ideas from pretty far flung traditions. Seemingly to connect with the various supernatural concepts you might encounter about the home, about fire, technology, about cooking, and just the nature of the flame itself. For instance, Carol Rose, in her Encyclopedia of Giants, Monsters, and Dragons that I frequently cite, mentions a tradition of the clean Get peoples of Northwestern United States the tell of Heya Kannako, the old woman underneath us, an enormous protective deity of the earth who concentrates on supporting the world, almost in a similar sense to Atlas, you know, holding up the earth. But when her hunger gets the better off her, her concentration falters and earthquakes ensue. And so humans occasionally throw bits of fat into their hearths, and the Carol Rose describes it in order to help or overcome her hunger and to concentrate on keeping the earth imbalance. So you know, it's not something crawling through the fire through the hearth, but it's this idea of the hearth is kind of this connection in almost a physical connection to some sort of supernatural force.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the general use of fire for burnt offering or sacrifice indicates a way of thinking of the fire as a kind of interface point between our world and the other world, that you can burn something to kind of send it through a portal to the gods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what I like about this one, though, is the idea that it's not a special fire created for a special ritual purpose. It's more like the everyday fire. But even the everyday fire has the potential to be this gateway. And you know, again, it makes sense when you think about all the convergence of activities and energies at the hearth, the warmth, the illumination, food preparation, social gathering. You know, perhaps due to the fact that it's in a home situation that the rest of the home is cold, and drawing people together to tell stories, tell jokes, share their experiences. And on top of that, it is an obvious aperture to the outside world, which certainly brings about the possibility of various natural world creatures gaining access to your abode. But let us also remember that we're also talking about a gateway through which air can pass and does pass. And as most of human history is pre germ theory, I think you can see where this is going. The idea that this is also an aperture through which bad air could travel, or something in the air, something that is not as constricted as physical as physical beings are constricted. That they could pass through that small hole. They could essentially, you know, pass through the keyhole and that's all the space they need. Interesting, it reminds me actually of a tradition we talked about an idea of the Dine or Navajo people. This came up in a couple of episodes, I think in Our Dust episodes, actually, the idea that you might have an adante, a practitioner of secret evil magic, who might introduce a magical poison or illness into a home through its smoke hole. So that definitely came to mind here, the smoke hole in a traditional home, this could be an aperture that could be exploited by an evil doer, and in European traditions, spilling over into early American colonial traditions, this concept carried a great deal of weight, something that previous guest on Stuff to Blow your Mind Brian Hoggard discusses in his excellent twenty nineteen book Magical House Protection The Archaeology of counter Witchcraft. I know some of you probably listened to that episode. It's a great one if you want to go back and listen to an interview with the author. But I'm going to discuss some of the ideas that he brought up in that book here as it relates to this topic. So in the book, Hoggard discusses the various counter witchcraft rights and rituals that Europeans use, dating back at least to the Middle Ages, functioning alongside and generally, I guess in spite of protections offered by the Christian faith and Christian tradition. This is coming from the show before. You know, you have the various church approved methods that you might take against supernatural evil, but are you going to limit yourself to just those or are you going to also set other traps and wards in place? But in this case, we're talking about supernatural superstitious folk protections that were clearly deemed absolutely necessary by many to combat evil in a demon haunted world. Hoggard stresses that the archaeological evidence suggests that unseen supernaw natural threats, which just a standard part of everyday existence, supernatural evil was everywhere and you had to bust out all the tricks in order to if not completely protect yourself, then at least been the odds even slightly in your favor, and is explored in the book. These efforts often took the form of a ritual object or objects hidden in the home. He writes the most popular locations to conceal objects within buildings are usually at portals such as the hearth, the threshold, and also voids or dead spaces. This suggests that people believed it was possible for dark forces to travel through the landscape and attack them in their homes. Whether these forces were emanations from a witch in the form of a spell, a witch is familiar pestering their property, an actual witch flying in spirit, or a combination of all of those is difficult to tell. Additional sources of danger could be ghosts, fairies, and demons. People went to great lengths to ensure their homes and property were protected, highlighting the fact that these beliefs and fears were visceral and as far as they were concerned, literally terrifying.
Speaker 3: Interesting yet again, the way that some physical intuitions apply to these apparently magical substances, like the spell of a witch or a which is familiar, which you might well assume could just you know, pass magically through any wall or whatever. It seems people were especially concerned about voids and portals, like the physical gaps that a physical being would need to travel through.
Speaker 1: I mean, I imagine a lot of you have had this experience. I mean, to be clear, some of you may have the experience of finding some of these secreted and hidden items, and if so, do write in. We would love to hear from you. But I find it like a little strange when I encounter a void in my house, when you realize, like, here is a space within my home where there is nothing, you know, and that's that I don't know. It shouldn't feel creepy, but it does.
Speaker 3: What's under the stairs nothing, there's nothing there.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're not familiar with the details that HACKERD gets into and the details that came up in that interview I conducted a while back, you might be wondering, well, what sort of ritual objects are we talking about hidden away in homes and voids and so forth, potentially near the hearth to afford protection against these many evils. Well, there are various examples, but some of the main ones are as follows. First of all, there's just protective marks. And I feel like this is fairly self explanatory. You know, some sort of a symbol or a sigil that has protective properties and that may be hidden away somewhere in a home. This next one, though, this one was the one that I found surprising at the time I was not familiar with prior to reading this book, and that is shoes. And I think this is especially interesting because from our modern perspective, we often forget just what a shoe is. We can take it for granted, we can have, you know, hundreds of them, and we may love shoes to death without like, without really thinking about this vital aspect of what they are. Yeah. Yes, we put them on our feet to walk about in and you know, not step on nails and rocks and so forth, keep our feet warm, make our feet look you know, snazzy and cool. But they are also flesh like sheaths, sometimes made from animal products, that are sized, perhaps individually sized for the shape of our feet or if nothing else. Over time, they take on the shape of our feet. They take on the odor of our feet. These are two details, especially the odor that is often lost on us, perhaps not lost on our dogs and cats. They know these shoes smell like us and are like potent familiar items of us. You know, our cat will lay on shoes a lot, and I've had some commentary on this kind of behavior in cats and dogs, where they will be drawn to the shoes because they remind them of the owners of said shoes. And all. This would seem to be part of the superstitious calculus for these traditions. So a shoe may wear out beyond repair in the case of a child's shoes and shoes that they may outgrow them, but they are still then objects that have to a large extent become a part of us. You know, they are shaped after us, they smell of us, and they're therefore dangerous items to discard. In much the same way that nail clippings and hair were often seen as such, like they were a part of you. They still are a part of you, and that is dangerous material to just leave out in the world where you know an evil doer or an evil spirit may come across it and by doing so gain power over you.
Speaker 3: This type of folk belief is sometimes referred to as the law of contagion, that like things that were once united or in contact with one another. If they become separated, you may need to do some kind of cleansing or exorcism, or some kind of ritual acknowledgment of the severing there or destruction of the thing as it is separated from you, or else it can be used to have power over you by way of the associative magical connection.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, or in this case, you find another use for them. And so according to Hoggard, shoes and other objects we're often deposited on ledges, within the chimney breast or behind the fireback, and he stresses that quote. Shoes are perhaps the most commonly encountered apotropaic objects and often had an association with the hearth.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, so the same object that could become your vulnerability if discarded and found by a witch, could be your protective amulet if you keep it, if you keep it in the home, right.
Speaker 1: And I'll come back to why this may be in just a second, but before we do, I want to talk briefly about witch bottles, which are I think the more exciting and exotic sounding version of abotropic objects hidden in a home, often in the area of the hearth. Now, there's some variety to what these will consist of but you know, they have been found, they've been analyzed, they're still being found. That's one of the great things that Hagard discusses is that you have so many different waves of renovation that take place with some of these old homes in Europe, in Britain, in the UK, and also in parts of the United States and Canada as well, where people will suddenly discover a pair of ancient shoes or a strange bottle. And he also discusses how there are cases where people have suddenly sort of given into some of the superstition of it and they've had to put sad item back. You know, it's like it's kind of like the reverse of finding a void. You find a purposeful item that you don't fully understand. You're not on the same mental wavelength with it, but you've come to believe, well, I should put it back. I don't know my way around all of this enough to say it doesn't belong there.
Speaker 3: I can sympathize with that, and this may just say something about my you know, personality or kind of tendencies, the character tendencies. But while I would never take active steps to do it to like you know, put shoes in a wall thinking it would protect my house or something. I would feel weird about taking something out. Yeah, yeah, it seems like, well, feels like I shouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that may be a load bearing shoe.
Speaker 3: Just leave it alone.
Speaker 1: So with witch bottles, again there's some variation as to what they may hold, but there are various written instructions from historical records that talk about what goes into a witch bottle, and one that Hoggard shares This is from seventeen oh one and he includes it in his book, and basically the directions are to take a pint of your own urine, heat it to near scalding temperatures, pour it into a jug, and then add white salt and three new nails with the points down. Then you bind the jug with clay and leather and you heat it over embers for nine to ten days.
Speaker 3: It's gotta work because look at all the steps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think sometimes there are more steps than may be a simplified version, but it's the basics are in play here. The urine, the pointy object. Sometimes they're pins or needles. Sometimes it's like a lot of like rusty nails, pins or needles and so forth. So in the case of the shoes and the witch bottle, here the basic idea would seem to be this. You have an unseen evil force, be it a demon, a fairy, a ghost, or some curse of a witch, and it is seeking you. It has entered your home, perhaps through a door, perhaps through a window, perhaps down the chimney and through the fireplace. It's seeking you out. But what does an encounter. Instead, it encounters your smell, and encounters the shoe that was so much a part of your body and now can be mistaken for your body, and it goes after that. Instead, it serves as a decoy. And in the case of the witch bottle, it's even more exciting. So it smells that deep uriny stench that is associated with you. But it's found the bottle first. And so what does this evil thing do, this spirit, this dark seeker in the night. It climbs inside that bottle. But uh oh, Now it is either trapped in the bottle or it is impaled upon all of those sharp pointy bits inside the bottle and therefore injured or perhaps killed by this witch bottle, this trap that has been set for it.
Speaker 3: That's ingenious. I didn't know it was going there with the nails, but that makes sense. I was wondering if the nails had some kind of you know, they might be iron nails unless the iron significance as like a protective magic against the fairy folk and so forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there may be part of that to it as well, you know, and certainly protective magic like this, you know, they may sort of like drag various ideas with them across time. So I would not discount the importance of the iron at all. But this is all very interesting to think about in comparison to various Christmas traditions, like I instantly think about wooden clogs left out for Saint Nicholas or Santa though I've also read that prior to the sixteenth century, at least in some European countries, the clogs were left in the church rather than in the home. I'm not as well versed in the history of those traditions, but at any rate, you do have examples where shoes are left out so that some entity may deposit gifts inside them, and those shoes may be placed, I think often near doors or windows, so there still is that sense of put them near the aperture, put them near the portals. And where do we hang our stockings with care? We of course hang them again by the fireplace, by the hearth. Yeah, almost as if we're trying to throw Santa Claus off the scent. You know, there is no need, strange one, to bring the gifts directly to the children. Here is their sense, smell their feet. Here is the essence you seek. Leave the gifts here, leave the children alone in their room.
Speaker 3: Or the coal, I guess if applicable.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is no need to put the coal inside the children, leave it in the socks. And thus he is outsmarted, and he leaves the children alone for another year?
Speaker 3: What resonance this idea is now bounding about inside me?
Speaker 1: One more note from Brian Haggard. I was looking through the book to see I couldn't remember if he had mentioned anything Christmasy in particular, And he does mention a rhyme that was associated with ritual burn marks from tapers in homes. So, like I say, there were various There are various marks and signs inside some of these old homes that are interpreted as being associated with various protective magical activities. And rituals, and one of them I think could be easy to miss. It's just like burn marks in a house. I included a picture from his book here for you to look at, Joe, Like, if you didn't know what you're looking at, you might just think these were caused by some other you know, I don't know, something that occurred during construction or something like that. But an interpretation here is that these were ritual burn marks. And he includes this is a translation, but it is a translation of a German rhyme that apparently went along with some holiday traditions of protecting the home. So I'm going to read it here again. This is from Brian Huggrid's book and it goes as follows, and round about the house they go with torch or taper, clear that neither bread nor meat do want know which with dreadful charm have power to hurt their children or do the cattle harm. So I'm not saying burn beams in your house with fire as part of your holiday traditions. But yeah, it's interesting to think about all of this. And again, this is another one that involves the power of fire, the power of the flame to protect us against unseen things. In the night. By the way, I know Brian would want me to pass this along to you. If you do encounter something like this in your house strange shoes, a strange item, a witch bottle and so forth, it is very helpful to like reach out to people who will document it all. And a lot of people do reach out to Brian Hoggard themselves. He's on Instagram as folk Magic Man. He also has a website, so just look him up. It's Brian Hoggart h O G A r D. And he can point you in the right direction if if you encounter something like this in your home, or email us and I'll forward it to him. Happy to do that.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I think we're out of time for today. We've got more to say and to explore about the fireplace and the hearth, so join us again on Thursday.
Speaker 1: That's right. In the meantime, we'll remind you that this stuff to blow your mind is primarily as signed some culture podcasts with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays we do a short form episode and on Fridays we set aside most series concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you're on Instagram, follow us at stbym podcast, and if you are on Letterboxed follow us at Weird House. That's where you can keep up with movies that we're covering on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you some two favorite shows