Speaker 1: I signed in.
Speaker 2: I had to redo a new password, but I was able to go back to my old Tumblr account, and I signed in for myself to find the Tumblr article that I wrote yesterday. About Girl Meets World. Because I wanted you guys to understand this was what the intention of the show was before we started.
Speaker 3: And have you shot the pilot or you had done nothing yet? Or rehearsals or where were you in the process?
Speaker 2: This is before we had even shot the pilot. Let me see if I can see.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this is still.
Speaker 1: This was written November 26th, 2012.
Speaker 5: Oh, geez.
Speaker 1: Way before.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah. So this is when it was just announced.
Speaker 1: Just announced.
Speaker 4: And people were.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: I had just gotten engaged.
Speaker 5: And you and I found out in 2014 they were doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Remember? Yeah. Oh, my God.
Speaker 2: I have not read this. So I don't actually I haven't read this since I've signed back in. So I also don't know what I'm in for, but I do have a vague memory of it.
Speaker 1: Girl Meets World.
Speaker 2: First of all, let me say that you, the fans of Boy Meets World, have been awesome. That word is often used incorrectly by people, including myself, on a daily basis, but you have truly been awe-inspiring. You, yes, even you, are the reason that Girl Meets World will be made. I do not know how many Boy Meets World cast members will be returning for Girl Meets World or how often, if.
Speaker 1: And or when they do appear.
Speaker 2: Oh, I said world. Another thing I wouldn't trade for anything is the integrity and the heart with which Boy Meets World was made. I promise with the entirety of my heart that we will make Girl Meets World with the same honesty, innocence and intelligence that you learn to expect from Boy Meets World. I say this because making the decision to do the show involved more conversations than you could possibly imagine. These conversations were with the people I mentioned above because they were all instrumental in creating and maintaining the heart of Boy Meets World. The first comment out of every person's mouth was, let's only do it if we think we can create something as special as we did with Boy Meets World. When the news leaked that Girl Meets World was in the making, literally days after I first heard about the project myself. Oh, that's right. Michael had called me and within 72 hours, news about it was announced.
Speaker 4: You didn't go pitch it with him?
Speaker 5: No. No.
Speaker 2: No, he says it was Corey's idea and that Corey brought it to him.
Speaker 4: I think that's true.
Speaker 2: And then he basically developed it with them. He didn't want to bring me in on it. Then I would have had to have been.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Co-creator.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's the reason he didn't bring me or Ben in. It was just then he got it approved and then he had.
Speaker 1: To sell it to us.
Speaker 2: Literally days after I first heard about the project myself, Michael Jacobs and I had a conversation and we talked about how we were both so blown away by the reactions from all of you.
Speaker 1: We felt honored.
Speaker 2: We felt nostalgic. We felt touched by the excitement in your comments, tweets, Tumblr and Facebook posts. But most of all, we felt inspired. We felt inspired to bring these characters back to life and to tell you more of their stories. Michael said to me, Danielle, when I read what people say Boy Meets World meant to them, it makes me so very proud of all of us. I think it's important for us for as long as we are fortunate enough to have this opportunity to do Girl Meets World, that we all look each other in the eyes every so often and make sure we know we have something of value to offer the audience. I think we have that with Girl Meets World. I say that so I can say this. Girl Meets World is a new show. It isn't Boy Meets World brought back to life, but in current day. It will have familiar faces, familiar themes, and familiar messages. It will also have new faces, new themes, and new messages. Boy Meets World never spoke down to the audience, and we are going to do our best to never do that with Girl Meets World. But please keep in mind that there will be episode one of season one of a brand new show. We started at the same place with Boy Meets World, but we evolved and we evolved quickly. For those of you who knew and loved Boy Meets World, please allow this show to evolve as well. Stick with us.
Speaker 1: Give us a chance.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, a sincere thank you to every one of you for all of your tweets. I read them all every day. It's killing me to not even be able to talk about it. Even those of you who asked us not to do it. There were only a few of you, but I know why you don't want Girl Meets World to happen. And I appreciate that Boy Meets World meant enough to you that you don't want to see its legacy tarnished. I can assure you we don't want that either. Your love, dedication, and appreciation means more to us than you could ever know. And it will be the driving force behind our passion to make the best show we possibly can make. Thank you for giving us the chance to do it again.
Speaker 5: Danielle.
Speaker 3: What do you think your version of Boy Meets World was at that point? Like what was in your head? Because had you watched the show enough to like carry it?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: No, I had only seen like random episodes every now and then I would turn on the TV and it would be, you know, a rerun would be playing and I'd be like, Oh, it's the cult episode. I'm going to sit and watch this one. You know, like every, I had seen passing episodes, um, in my memory. Cause again, this is the conversation. This is one of the main conversations I had with Michael in my memory, the entire show circled around Corey and Topanga's relationship and their highs and their lows and they're breaking up and they're getting back together.
Speaker 1: And you know, the French girl episode.
Speaker 2: And, and so what was in my mind was when Michael called, but now we have this incredible opportunity to deliver lessons, but with a girl as the lead, a young woman as the lead. And so my number one thing, it really is.
Speaker 4: A great fit. Yeah, of course it is. It's fantastic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my number one thing was, As long as her entire storyline isn't about a boy. And it was, no, it's going to be about friendship. And there can be boys in the cast, but it's not going to be romantic. And I was like, great. And then I read the pilot.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. I just remember when... you know, obviously feeling hurt and like, I can't believe nobody told me about this and blah, blah, blah. Um, but then Michael taking me out to lunch and me saying like with all the other writers and I looked around and it was the same, all the same guys, which is great from a, from a nostalgia friend point of view. It was like, I get to see all these people that I love. And I looked at Michael and I'll never forget. I said, it's called girl meets world. Michael, don't you think there should be girls on the writing staff, women on the writing staff. And, uh, I said, don't you think they'll be able to have the voice of a woman or a girl better than you? And he went, well, I wasn't a 65-year-old man, but I wrote pretty well for Bill Daniels. And I just remember being like, oh, he doesn't get it. Like, he just, he doesn't get it. It was weird. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I had the same conversation with him, but about you being a writer, because what he's in the conversation where he first told me about the show and it was like, so is everybody in? And he was like, well, you know, everybody wants to do different things. And he was like, like, Will wants to write. And I was like, oh my God, that's awesome. And then I said, and of course you're, cause he had already told me that, you know, Manel and Nelson. And I was like, oh my gosh, that's amazing. I said, well, you know, of course you're, you have to be able to bring in some women writers too. And he goes, oh, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Okay.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I did think that was interesting.
Speaker 5: I'm amazed that was written two years before the show.
Speaker 4: Aired, which is crazy. It was a long time. So wait, it didn't air until 2014?
Speaker 2: We shot the pilot in November, no, October of 2013.
Speaker 1: Because it was.
Speaker 4: Right before your wedding then?
Speaker 2: Right before, right before or right after? Right before my wedding.
Speaker 5: Your weddings.
Speaker 2: Or right before, after my wedding.
Speaker 4: October 17th was our wedding.
Speaker 3: Ours.
Speaker 4: Yours and mine. Separate. Your wedding. It was the 19th?
Speaker 1: No, maybe it.
Speaker 4: Was the 19th or 20th of... You don't remember when your wedding was?
Speaker 3: No, and Alex and I, because it was right after her birthday. Her birthday is October 16th, so I think it's the 18th is the official, because we did the weekend of her birthday was also our wedding weekend, so the actual wedding day was that Sunday.
Speaker 1: So for you, it might have been the 19th.
Speaker 4: 18th or 19th is the actual.
Speaker 2: Maybe yours was the 19th, because mine's not ringing true. My first wedding's not ringing true as October 17th, but I don't remember the actual date. It's either the 18th or the 19th, and yeah. And I think it was just, I think we shot the pilot right before then.
Speaker 1: So anyway, welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: This is season one, episode two of Girl Meets World. It originally aired July 11th, 2014. 11th, one month before my birthday.
Speaker 5: Come on, Ryder, give it up.
Speaker 4: An 11th brother.
Speaker 5: Woo. Woo.
Speaker 4: We didn't say our intros. We didn't say hi.
Speaker 2: Oh, sorry.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Meets World. I'm Danielle Fishel.
Speaker 4: I'm Ryder Strong. And I'm Will Friedle.
Speaker 1: Doing a different show is totally throwing you.
Speaker 4: I know, it's throwing you off. You don't know what to say.
Speaker 5: It's not as good as the original Pod Meets World, but hopefully we'll figure out what's going on. It's probably overwritten and overproduced.
Speaker 3: And I know some of you have said we shouldn't have continued.
Speaker 4: I guess you... But I promise, I read your comments. I read your comments. But I read your comments, and I promise you, we will keep the spirit.
Speaker 2: You can talk to us directly, and that we will incorporate your notes.
Speaker 3: Next episode, I'll read what I posted about Girl Meets World.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Do you remember when I posted?
Speaker 1: Kind of. I don't know anything about this.
Speaker 5: No, I don't either.
Speaker 4: No, I said I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to have anything to do with it, and here's why.
Speaker 2: And Michael was mad.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, everyone was mad.
Speaker 5: Was he mad?
Speaker 4: Was he mad? It must have been right after the pilot. It was right around the time that I got married. I don't know. I'll check. I'll try and know what the date was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so around the time that we shot the pilot.
Speaker 4: I thought, but maybe I did it way earlier. I don't remember. Did you ever.
Speaker 2: Go back and say, like, sorry, I wrote that blog post. I'm now directing more episodes than any other director, and I'm going to guest star on it?
Speaker 4: No. You mean to the public? Yeah.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: No. I'm sorry, but I still go back to, and I know it's a total ego thing and I own that, but how you pitch a Girl Meets World and you don't have Uncle Eric living with them, helping to take care of the kids is the biggest comedy miss ever. It's like you saw Eric with all the little kids on Boy Meets World. He was so good with little kids. Why you wouldn't have him like, no, I'm going to stay here for a week. And the joke is that he's been there four years. And he's helping to raise the kids. You missed out on so much comedy that way. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Why didn't they? I mean, I guess they were like a happy kids.
Speaker 5: Just money.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe Topanga could have been like overseas working. And it could have been the two brothers raising the kids.
Speaker 4: Just get rid of all the women. Yeah. Get rid of all the women entirely.
Speaker 2: Just eliminate the.
Speaker 4: And then make Riley a boy.
Speaker 1: Raised by all men.
Speaker 5: Yeah. A boy.
Speaker 1: And then just call.
Speaker 4: It Boy Meets World. It's Boys Meets World.
Speaker 2: The synopsis, Corey's homework assignment inadvertently brings Riley and Lucas closer together. It was directed by Joel Zwick, a legendary TV director with one massive movie under his belt as well. One of the most profitable films of all time, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. He directed over 30 Laverne and Shirley episodes, Mork and Mindy, Bosom Buddies, 100 episodes of Perfect Strangers, almost 100 episodes of Full House, Step by Step, Family Matters, and most important to us, two dozen episodes of Girl Meets World. Legend.
Speaker 5: Television legend. Uh-huh.
Speaker 2: It was written by Michael Jacobs back on the title page, something we did not see.
Speaker 1: Back in the original series.
Speaker 4: Two in a row, really. Why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: Money is that what it is yeah the disney channel cable contracts are nothing right like prime time television contracts and so michael's whatever his quote was from back in the day was not being met right our you know money quote from boy meets world was not being met no of course um And so this was literally just a matter of what other ways can Michael make— Just.
Speaker 5: Another stream of income? Yes. Because, yeah, we did 158 episodes of Boy, and he never once put his— not a single time, does it say, written by Michael Jacobs.
Speaker 2: Because he was getting so much money elsewhere, he didn't need it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: And so he gave those opportunities to everyone else. But in this situation, he looked at it like, I want it.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Guest starring Danielle Kennedy as the librarian. She's appeared on TV shows like Parks and Rec, Two Broke Girls, nine episodes of Narcos as Ambassador Noonan. And she most recently played Agnes Festersen on the TV version.
Speaker 1: Of The Verbs.
Speaker 5: And weirdly, apparently her daughter and Susan grew up together. So apparently this woman and she popped up on screen. She's like, oh, that's that's Mrs. Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Like she's like, I know. Yeah, I know her daughter.
Speaker 5: We grew up like, oh, God.
Speaker 4: So I like Susan, like knew her kid. Yeah, that's funny. Isn't that weird?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What a weird world.
Speaker 2: And then Taylor Ashley Holliman is Maisel, most recognizable from a three episode arc on The Office as Jada. She also appeared on Baskets, New Girl and Don't Trust the Bee in Apartment 23. So jumping into our recap, we are in the middle school hallway. Riley and Maya are near the lockers when Lucas walks by. He sits down on a nearby bench and Riley starts feverishly typing on her phone. Sternly, Maya demands, talk to him. Riley sends the text.
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: We have a great text relationship. Maya asks, you know what's better than a text relationship? Riley doesn't know. So Maya angrily responds, talk to him. Then Riley gets a notification and shows his response to Maya with a smile.
Speaker 1: The text reads, From Riley, where you going?
Speaker 2: Lucas, history.
Speaker 4: I hate when texts don't look like real texts. I know. They got pictures next to it. Do they still do that, though? Or is this a very early teens thing?
Speaker 1: Very early teens.
Speaker 2: Very early.
Speaker 4: Now they just put it on the screen.
Speaker 1: And it looks like bubbles.
Speaker 3: They just make it look like the iPhone message or whatever. But this is just like, it's so funny because it dates it so poorly. You're like, just show the real screen.
Speaker 4: What are we doing?
Speaker 5: At this point, though, I was like, oh, great storyline for something like this. Put your phone down and get into an actual conversation.
Speaker 4: The thematics are wonderful.
Speaker 3: What a great issue for a.
Speaker 4: Boy Meets World style thing.
Speaker 5: Totally. 100%.
Speaker 3: You could pitch this as a Boy Meets World. Ruffini makes them go to the library with their phones down.
Speaker 4: It's like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is clearly one of the out of the gate. Great ideas that probably helped sell the show.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? It was like, Corey will make them turn off their phones.
Speaker 5: Put your phone down and actually go talk to the guy.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, great. This is perfect. Yes.
Speaker 5: It's yes.
Speaker 2: Lucas writes back history. I sit next to you, Riley. So do I. Maya isn't impressed. She points to Lucas. He's right over there. Riley shakes her head. No, too complicated over there. Lots can go wrong over there. The only thing that can go wrong over here is if I go over there. Maya just points at Lucas again, and so Riley hands over her school books and makes the trek to her crush. But instead of approaching Lucas directly, we see her head creep up behind him, looking at him texting and smiling ear to ear undetected. Riley desperately mouths the words.
Speaker 4: This is very creepy.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: My kids loved this part.
Speaker 4: It's very cute.
Speaker 5: Logistical question. Did you take a break between shooting the pilot and series pickup?
Speaker 2: The original pilot was shot in 2013. And then when we reshot, that was in 2014. So yes, like all through the holidays. Basically, they shot the pilot and then we had months to wait to find out if we were actually going to get picked up.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Then we found out we were getting picked up, but we had to do recasting. And then we shot the pilot, I think in March.
Speaker 4: Okay. See, I think that's when we came to the set.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 4: Not the first.
Speaker 5: Time was the second time.
Speaker 3: I already agreed to direct and be on the show and you would probably agree to be on the show.
Speaker 4: So we were willing to go to really, even when we went to the set.
Speaker 5: No, I had said no all the way up through season two, like halfway through season two when I finally agreed to come on the show. No, this was, yeah, I still wasn't doing anything. Okay.
Speaker 2: Back at the lockers, Maya simply mouths to her, talk to him. Riley tries again, but no words come out. Instead, she leans in and gleefully sniffs him. Maya calls her back and Riley proudly asks, how'd I do? Maya explains, you smelled him is what you did. Riley admits, I walk through life the way I walk through life. Maya shakes her head. Can we please talk about this? Riley returns to her phone and walks into the classroom. Maya pulls out her phone, it's a flip phone, to see that Riley has just sent her a text.
Speaker 4: It says, Nope.
Speaker 2: Now in the classroom, Corey is at the chalkboard holding up a cell phone. You guys don't connect with each other. It's like you can't exist without these. You use emoticons.
Speaker 4: What is that? They're emojis, right?
Speaker 5: They were emoticons back in the day.
Speaker 4: No, no.
Speaker 2: Also, emojis is owned. It's like Kleenex. Oh, gotcha. You cannot say emojis.
Speaker 4: So what are they on your phone? Emojis. I'm just saying, I mean, they don't, There's not a different.
Speaker 5: Is there a different word for them?
Speaker 4: You could say, it's not like you're going to have to pay a license. I think it was.
Speaker 2: They weren't allowed.
Speaker 4: But for a character on a TV show to say the word emojis, like it's not going to.
Speaker 5: Were they still emojis? Were they already being called emojis in 2011? Yeah, it has.
Speaker 4: No one's ever called it emojis.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody's ever, I mean, I'm sure the technical word is, the neutral technical word is probably emojis. Yeah, you're right. But this just goes to show how out of touch our writers were.
Speaker 2: I just wrote, I just searched it and it said, no, it's not owned by Apple. But I do remember there being a whole conversation. But maybe, I mean, I don't know. Now what would, now what would the, what would the, yeah.
Speaker 5: The word emoji was coined in 1999 in Japan by Shigetaka Kurita alongside his creation of the first set of 176 pixelated pictographs for the mobile carrier NTT.como.
Speaker 1: This is from Tara.
Speaker 2: No single person or company owns standard digital emojis. Instead, the standard text codes and concepts are managed by the Unicode Consortium, a nonprofit group, while individual companies design their own visual art and a separate private business owns the literal word emoji as a brand.
Speaker 4: Oh my God.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine that?
Speaker 1: So someone does own emoji.
Speaker 2: And they were not willing to pay to use the term emoji.
Speaker 4: You think they had to pay to use the term in a TV show?
Speaker 2: That's why I was like, huh, weird. I do remember the conversation. We can't use emoji. We can't use emoji. We can't use emoji.
Speaker 4: I think that's Disney being paranoid. Maybe.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The term apparently entered the English language around 2012. 2008, growing rapidly in global use after tech companies integrated native support into mobile operating systems.
Speaker 2: You use emoticons rather than emotions. You're an unfeeling generation of zombies. Maya and Riley jokingly mimic actual zombies. Corey isn't amused. Stop eating her. Then another student walks into the classroom. Corey lets her know. You're late, Miss Mizell. Mizell explains, deadpan. My goldfish died. You see, this is what I'm talking about. Miss Mizell has clearly suffered a tragic loss, yet she does not seem in touch with her actual emotions. Mizell is offended.
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: I've been crying my eyes out. I'm going to have to leave class early. With that, she turns around and walks out. Corey is perplexed. Oh, she actually made it out the door this time. He reopens the door and Mizell is ecstatic. I actually made it out the door this time. I don't know. I think it's a little like, again, going back to the playing on Mr. Feeney, how like Corey or Sean would have tried to make up an excuse to walk out of class and then- the adult would be like, oh, that's funny. They think they pulled one over on me. And sure enough, the kid's like, wow, I got pretty far this time.
Speaker 4: Right, Mr.
Speaker 5: Feeny?
Speaker 1: Like, I think that's- But it's.
Speaker 4: A non-established character.
Speaker 3: I know. So it felt like, oh, it is clearly like they're trying to add a new character to like have a bit. And it's, but it feels weird. I was just like, we just started the show. Like- You have Farkle, you have Lucas, you have Maya, you have Riley, like you have characters that we haven't established their regular stuff enough and you're introducing a new character and then referencing it as if it's a thing that we've already seen before.
Speaker 4: Very strange.
Speaker 5: I just didn't get it. I didn't understand the joke.
Speaker 2: She rushes back to her desk. Riley brings it back to the original diatribe. Dad, adjust and deal. Cell phones have been around for like forever. Corey replies, it'll amaze you to know that there was a whole world before you and cell phones.
Speaker 5: World?
Speaker 4: A world.
Speaker 1: Riley picks up her phone.
Speaker 2: And it will amaze you to know that I have 394 friends in here, Corey quips. And I'm amazed that you believe that. Then he draws a horizontal line on the chalkboard. This is a timeline of all human existence. He marks the beginning. Starting here is everyone who ever lived, laughed, loved, and understood the value of life. The cell phone era, which begins right around here, he says as he marks the end of the line, pretty much destroys all of that. Way to go, you. Lucas raises his hand. Sir, if I may take a different position? Corey responds, yeah, save me, Mr.
Speaker 4: Fryer.
Speaker 1: Did I go too far?
Speaker 2: Lucas says, always, sir. I understand your point, but I use my phone to video chat with my old friends and to find out what's going on in Texas. Maya joins in, yeah, how else can he keep tabs on all the, and she does a country accent, hoedowns and cattle pageants. Riley pleads with her friend, Maya. Lucas interjects, It's okay, Riley. I'm unaffected by Maya's views of country life. As my uncle Buster always says, be like an eagle and soar above the mockingbird. Riley rubs it in Maya's face. You're the mockingbird. Maya admits she knows and angrily turns around to Lucas. It kills me that I can't get to you. Lucas tips an imaginary cowboy hat at her. Sorry, ma'am. She turns back around and frustratedly vents. And then Farkle raises his hand.
Speaker 1: Farkle time, sir?
Speaker 2: Corey beams. Oh, I love Farkle time. The two switch spots as Farkle stands at the teacher's desk to address the class. With all due respect to history, Mr. Matthews, what's important to our generation will be on this side of the timeline when Farkle and technology rule. He approaches the girls as he continues. And I will easily be able to make another one of you. He proudly taps Riley's head. He actually pulls out a piece of her hair.
Speaker 4: He's pulling her hair because he's going to clone her.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: He proudly yanks a piece of Riley's hair out of her head. and another one of you, and now ripping a piece of Maya's hair out of her head with the same excitement.
Speaker 5: Farkle question, was he even by this point, while the audience didn't know, did Michael and everybody already know that this was supposed to be a minkus?
Speaker 2: They had already played videos for all the kids about who they were supposed to be and asked them to watch.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, but I mean, was his character supposed to be a minkus by this point? Like, did we already know that he was?
Speaker 1: Oh, no, I think he always had that as a hope.
Speaker 4: But the last name was Farkle, and then it kind of had a, Exactly.
Speaker 1: Then it became Farkle Minkus. So yeah, his last name was Farkle.
Speaker 5: So he was supposed to be like Minkus, but at this point he wasn't actually supposed to be Minkus' offspring.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But I think Michael always thought if we bring him back, he would be related to Minkus somehow. Riley is confused. Wait, so now there's four of us and one of you? Creepily, Farkle takes it in. That's awesome. He breaks the haze and states, the future. You can't escape it.
Speaker 4: I am Farkle.
Speaker 2: And with that, he raises his hands to the sky and returns to his desk. Corey returns to the front of the classroom. The assignment.
Speaker 1: You can't escape it. I am a teacher.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: With that, he raises his.
Speaker 5: Hands.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay.
Speaker 4: And with that out of the.
Speaker 1: Way, he continues.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's what we're going to do, guys. We're going to split into teams and discover whether or not new technology has made us better people. You'll do presentations on your findings. And here's a twist. No computers. Farkel is flabbergasted. He hits his hands on the desk.
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Corey proudly states, we're going old school. You're going to do your research at the New York Public Library.
Speaker 4: We weren't allowed.
Speaker 5: To use typewriters or computers when I was in school. Oh, yeah. Literally, they thought that that meant you could cheat.
Speaker 4: Spell check. Spell check and everything.
Speaker 5: So we literally weren't even allowed to turn in typed papers. You had to write them.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Maya turns to Riley.
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 1: Corey's unfazed.
Speaker 2: And here's another twist, because I trust you not at all. Give me your cell phones. Riley screams, no, as Corey proceeds to collect all their phones. Can you imagine that your kid has a phone and then the teacher just takes them all?
Speaker 4: I was going to say, it felt very invasive. I was like, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: There's going to be a school policy about this. You don't get to grab kids' phones and keep them from them.
Speaker 1: What if something happened?
Speaker 4: You can say.
Speaker 5: No phones in a classroom. That's fine. But my teacher, is he keeping them overnight?
Speaker 4: Can my kid not have their phone?
Speaker 5: That's not okay. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it was weird.
Speaker 3: Again, I don't think the writers were... We're very savvy to technology issues.
Speaker 5: Of course they were, sir. They were using that new telephonic device.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Then it's time to assign teams for the assignment. He starts with Maya. Farkle jumps up and sits on her lap.
Speaker 4: What up?
Speaker 2: Maya pushes him off and Corey continues with the teams. And Riley, you will be with Lucas and Riley share a smile and wave. Corey is disgusted.
Speaker 4: No, no.
Speaker 1: Saved by the bell.
Speaker 2: Everyone gets up to leave and Corey is not amused with Lucas. Why did you have to come here? Lucas apologizes. Sorry I make you uneasy, sir. Riley shakes her head. Dad, we don't even have our phones. I mean, what could possibly happen? As she leaves, Corey looks more concerned than ever.
Speaker 5: Is there a lot of, because it's now two episodes in a row, is there a lot of lap sitting? There seems to be an awful lot of lap sitting.
Speaker 2: So much lap sitting.
Speaker 4: So much lap sitting. Bay windows, lap sitting.
Speaker 5: It seems like there's an awful lot of somebody ending up on somebody else's lap in the show.
Speaker 4: Okay. That's a weird observation, but it's totally accurate. Okay.
Speaker 2: Maya and Riley are back in the hallway when Lucas passes by again, but this time Maya speaks up.
Speaker 1: Hey, soaring Eagle, you walking with us to the library tonight? Lucas smiles.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 1: If that's good with you guys.
Speaker 2: Maya says, well, seeing as how you're Riley's partner on this assignment, I guess we should find out if it's okay with her.
Speaker 1: She turns to her best friend.
Speaker 4: Riley?
Speaker 2: Riley doesn't respond. She just stares at Lucas. Maya pushes her to speak. Riley, any thoughts on this that might come out of your mouth in word form? Riley is still catatonic. A frustrated Maya continues. No, because you don't have your phone anymore, so what are you going to do to communicate?
Speaker 1: I wonder. Zombie-like, Riley puts two thumbs up and smiles.
Speaker 2: Maya notes.
Speaker 1: Oh, look at that. Two thumbs up from Riley. And a smiley face.
Speaker 2: We're back at the Matthews' house. The family is sitting at the dinner table when Augie announces it was a good day. And then my friends treated me nicely. And then my teacher measured us. And then I'm growing. And then Jenny Lewis loves me. I think it's because I'm growing. And then, do we think this was named Jenny Lewis after Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kylie? No, just, okay. Riley shakes her head. It wasn't a good day. Then my friend pulled my hair out. And then my teacher took my phone away. Then my teacher was also my father. Augie offers the note. At least you're growing. Topanga is more sympathetic. Honey, please don't come apart. Look at this as a beautiful opportunity to spend some time with your family. Everyone exchanges smiles at one another until Augie breaks the silence. Hello, Riley. Riley responds, how you doing? Augie asks, want to hear about my day? It was a good day. Riley cuts him off.
Speaker 5: Mom!
Speaker 2: Topanga turns to Augie. Forgive her. She misses her telephone. Augie hands her a toy. Well then, she can have mine. Riley examines it and presses a button, causing it to beep and say, the cow goes... Augie finishes the phrase.
Speaker 5: Moo. Isn't he like six?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is way too old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought he's way too old to be having this toy.
Speaker 4: Kids like 14 years old.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: And of course, the real Augie was probably only a couple of weeks away from graduating from college.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: He's getting a second doctorate by this point.
Speaker 4: So, yeah.
Speaker 2: Riley's at her wit's end. I'm not going to make it. Topanga explains, that's what your father thinks. Corey gloats, she can't. And Topanga warns her daughter, please don't make your father right. It's no good for any of us when your father is right. He nods, she's right. Riley asks her dad why he's doing this and Corey shrugs, because I want you and your friends to become real human beings. And I believe that by doing this, you guys can learn to become real human beings. The front door intercom buzzes, hey losers, it's Maya. Corey adds an exception, except her. Riley stands up to let Maya in.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 1: I'm going to do this.
Speaker 2: I can get through this whole thing without making a text or a call. Topanga offers some encouragement. Of course you can, sweetheart.
Speaker 1: And you know what?
Speaker 2: You're already a wonderful human being. But every so often, little tests like this are going to come up. Riley asks, why? Topanga replies, because it's your father's job to give you little tests. And maybe along the way, you guys are going to learn a little bit more about yourselves.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: What in this world is it?
Speaker 4: Like, what are they arguing about?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like, nothing has changed.
Speaker 5: Nope.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go do my assignment. See you later. That's all that's happened.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm going to the library to do the thing that Dad told me to do.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: With my friend Maya. And yet we have to talk about it. Why test be human being, fully realized identity, self, person, you?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Test my lesson to get the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's so weird.
Speaker 2: With that, Maya opens the door. Yeah, like I've learned that I'm actually really okay with all of this. Topanga's surprised.
Speaker 1: You don't miss your phone?
Speaker 2: Maya shrugs. I was the only one in class without a smartphone anyway, and now I kind of feel like everybody's even.
Speaker 1: The intercom buzzes again.
Speaker 2: It's Farkle.
Speaker 1: And Lucas.
Speaker 2: Riley screams and runs out the door with Maya. Corey turns to Topanga. Did you see that? Do you know what that was?
Speaker 4: That was boys.
Speaker 2: Too soon for boys. Not ready for boys.
Speaker 4: I don't want boys.
Speaker 1: We just going to accept boys? Topanga is ready to shift her focus. It happened. She's gone. She was nice. We had fun, but we still have him. Topanga turns to Augie.
Speaker 2: You want a color? Augie is thrilled.
Speaker 5: Color! The whole point of Boy Meets World was he knew love from two years old and fought for it no matter what happened. That was the whole point of the character. And so I don't get this, not, boy, he's too young for, it's like, I get you're the dad and it's your daughter and I understand, but it was literally your entire character.
Speaker 2: And wouldn't it have been amazing to see Topanga not feel that way and to see Topanga say, I gave up Yale for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want that for her. And for him to say like, what are you saying? And say, I'm not saying anything. I wouldn't change anything about my life. But I don't want that for her.
Speaker 5: That would be amazing.
Speaker 4: Amazing. Powerful.
Speaker 5: And they'll never do it.
Speaker 4: So good. Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 5: By the way, the color of your crayon in your hand just kept changing. You had a green one, then a yellow one, and then it was red, then it was green.
Speaker 2: If you are saying I'm bad with continuity, I'm— Listen, I had to actually color with Gawky. I had to really color with him. So we were really coloring over there, and then, you know.
Speaker 5: I'm saying it's not the best crafting I've ever seen, which is crayon acting, and I think everybody knows that.
Speaker 2: Of course we know what cracting is.
Speaker 4: Cray-acting?
Speaker 2: Crayola? Cray-acting? Cray-acting.
Speaker 1: Augie is thrilled. Color! Topanga responds. Of course you do.
Speaker 2: Let's color for the rest of our lives. But Augie wonders, will I be getting a real cell phone someday? She nods.
Speaker 5: Someday.
Speaker 2: Augie's upset. Dominic Falcone has a real cell phone. Topanga leans in. Would you rather have a real cell phone or would you rather color with us? He smiles. Color with you. Corey celebrates the innocence. But then Augie asks, does that get me a cell phone? And Corey's smile fades. Topanga notes, not too much longer with this one either. Corey offers, well, you'll always have me. Topanga inhales sharply.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: By the way, if you pronounce his name slightly differently, it sounds like a perfect Batman bad guy. Dominic Falcone.
Speaker 4: Dominic Falcone. Dominic Falcone.
Speaker 2: I don't remember how Augie said it. Did he say Falcone?
Speaker 5: I can't remember, but it's a perfect bad guy name.
Speaker 2: Then we're at the library. Riley, Maya, Farkle, and Lucas slowly enter and cautiously look around. Riley asks, what is this place? Farkle takes in the mystery. This is where the ancients stored all their wisdom. Maya marvels at a bookshelf. Look at all of those. Farkle offers, books. Maya and Riley are in a trance. Books. Lucas grabs one from the shelf and blows the dust off to read the title. Tales of Human Interaction.
Speaker 1: That's a funny joke.
Speaker 4: No sense to me.
Speaker 1: It's a funny joke, though. The Tales of Human Interaction covered in dust.
Speaker 5: But then it's about computers and cell phones, so it's a new book.
Speaker 4: And what is the book.
Speaker 5: They walk into the library they find the one book about exactly what they're looking for and how you don't use that as a joke how you don't walk in and have one of the characters go how are we ever going to find anything in here we'll never be able to pull off one book oh look got.
Speaker 4: It this place is easy how do you not.
Speaker 5: Do that and then they blow dust off the book and he opens it up and it's like the cell phone in 2030 what the hell.
Speaker 2: It didn't make any sense you're right that is that is funny It's so.
Speaker 4: Weird that a show could be so smart and so dumb at the same time. Yes. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Because it's really sophisticated. It's trying to be very sophisticated in so many ways.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: And by the way, a comedy of young kids walking around the library going, what is this place? And the ancients kept their wisdom.
Speaker 4: Brilliant. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's hysterical.
Speaker 5: And then they do a couple of things where you're like, that doesn't make any. Why?
Speaker 4: What is that about? That doesn't make any sense. And so, yeah, it's so strange.
Speaker 5: It seems like a lot of the abstract notions sometimes they hit out of the park, and the little ones, they're whiffing. It's like, how is that possible?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're not wrong. Maya grabs it from him.
Speaker 1: We'll take it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Quickdraw. She throws the book down on the table and slides it to Farkle. Do whatever you do with that, he asks.
Speaker 1: You mean read? Then he opens the book to the first page.
Speaker 2: Chapter one. Maya rolls her eyes and cuts them off.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm bored out of my mind.
Speaker 5: Let's go to a movie.
Speaker 2: An annoyed librarian angrily shushes them and they all turn to her scared. I thought that moment was really like very Scooby Doo and funny. It was cute. Farkle explains as the group approaches her. There's one of the ancients now. Oh, wondrous gatekeeper of the knowledge. We are travelers from another time and place.
Speaker 5: So funny.
Speaker 2: Riley jumps in. Seventh grade middle school. Farkle continues. We wish to partake of this information from your great hall of wisdom. Riley earnestly asks, do you rent phones? And the librarian shushes them again. They're confused. Lucas points out, there's no one here but us. Maya doesn't get it.
Speaker 4: Why do we have to shush?
Speaker 2: Farkle takes control. Let me handle this. She obviously likes it quiet.
Speaker 4: And then they make him creepy again. Why does he have to be always creepy with girls?
Speaker 5: I find it a little creepy creepy. I'm sorry. And he's so funny, but it's like, why didn't he stick with the ancient wisdom?
Speaker 2: Let us know.
Speaker 4: Now he's going to be like, hey, book lady. And I was like, ugh.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's nothing compared to the end of this episode for creep factor, in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: We'll get there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Flirtatiously, Farkle turns to her.
Speaker 2: Hello, book lady. The librarian finally responds. Well, hello. And who might you be? He slyly replies, I might be Farkle. The librarian asks, would you do me a favor, Farkle? He playfully winks. Oh, you know I will. She points to the table. Why don't you go over there and shh.
Speaker 4: Farkle frowns.
Speaker 2: Well, that's disappointing. Maya grabs him and they return to the table. But Riley and Lucas are now alone with the librarian. So Riley offers and Lucas carefully responds. Yeah. They are at a standstill. Back at the table, Maya and Farkle are looking at the book. Farkle points out, this chapter is called Disconnect to Connect. Maya takes over reading. Not until we put down our phones, switch off our computers, and look at each other's eyes will we be.
Speaker 4: Able to touch each other's hearts.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what's happening.
Speaker 3: What is this scene about now? Like, what are they planning to do? I don't know what's happening. Their assignment is to do what?
Speaker 1: To use the library to write a paper. Wait, was it about writing a paper?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they had to do a presentation about connecting with people without technology, right? And so you couldn't use computers and you had to go to the library to research it.
Speaker 4: And so they found a book that's literally about the thing.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 4: And so now what are they trying to do?
Speaker 5: Which is covered in dust.
Speaker 3: And now what are they, I don't understand the rest of the scene because it's like jumping back.
Speaker 4: Like Maya's doing artwork. He's reading the book.
Speaker 1: They don't have to write a paper.
Speaker 2: So what he said was we're going to split into teams and discover whether or not new technology has made us better people. You'll do presentations on your findings. Here's a twist. No computers.
Speaker 5: Okay. Okay.
Speaker 4: I still don't know what that means. Like I, So they're just supposed to hang out together and then.
Speaker 2: And talk about whether or not new technology has made them better people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and do research without using a computer.
Speaker 4: To do research on what? What are you supposed to research?
Speaker 5: Well, they found the book right away because it's called Disconnect to Connect or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, it's so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. Not until we put down our phones, switch off our computers, and look at each other's eyes will we be able to touch each other's hearts. Yeah, like that's going to work on anybody. We cut back to Lucas and Riley, who are now simply staring at each other. We go to a commercial break and we return to see Maya and Farkle are now sitting at a bay window. Farkle scans the library. People used to need places like this. Now we can hold everything that's here in a little device we can put in our pockets. I don't even need to look out this window to know what phase the moon is in or where the stars are. Maya is writing on a notepad. Yeah, well, I don't have a phone like that. I just had the actual sky. Farkle apologizes. I'm so sorry for you. You're at a real disadvantage. That can be the basis of our presentation, okay?
Speaker 1: You want to read back the notes?
Speaker 2: She's confused. What notes? Farkle is shocked. You weren't taking notes? Maya was not, so Farkle gives up. You know what?
Speaker 4: Why bother?
Speaker 2: Without a computer, all we have is a pencil and a pad. What could we possibly do with that? He takes the pad from Maya and notices she's drawn a beautiful city landscape.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Maya, I had no idea. She shakes her head. Yeah, neither did I.
Speaker 4: So this is the first thing she's ever drawn?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 1: Because she's busy on her flip phone?
Speaker 4: She doesn't have a phone. That's what she's saying.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: So why doesn't she know that?
Speaker 2: Why doesn't she say, all that time you've been on your phone, I've been.
Speaker 4: Learning to draw?
Speaker 5: Yeah, or it's no big deal, or I've just been doing it since I was young. I mean, whatever, but the idea is like, wow.
Speaker 2: I know, but again, even if she didn't say all that time, the idea being, look what she has learned because she wasn't wasting her time on a phone.
Speaker 3: She's been saying since the first scene, get off your phone and talk to each other. She literally was the voice of get off your phone and talk to Lucas. So there's nothing she needs to learn. Maya already knows this and doesn't have a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't know why I didn't either. Meanwhile, Riley and Lucas are sitting together reading. Riley tells her crush, my dad thinks that we have no idea how to talk to each other. Lucas nods. What if he's right?
Speaker 1: The librarian returns to interrupt.
Speaker 5: Shh.
Speaker 2: They're both confused. Lucas clarifies. But we're not saying anything. But they were.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the librarian nods.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: So again now. This deeper meaning is that even though they're talking, they weren't talking deeply enough about subjects that matter. And now the librarian knows that. And so she's been shushing them to try to get them to talk deeper.
Speaker 4: To really talk. That is some like....
Speaker 2: Ben Reilly doesn't get it. Then why are you shushing us? The librarian scoffs. Because I can't take it anymore.
Speaker 4: Layer on layer.
Speaker 2: You guys are hopeless. She calls Riley over to her desk. Couple of sweet kids like you and you sit there like a couple of lumps. You're a disgrace to every single story on these shelves. Riley asks, okay, so what do I say to him? The librarian has a suggestion.
Speaker 4: Look around.
Speaker 2: Nothing here but books about boys and girls and men and women and what they say to each other. Open any one of them and you, Riley grabs a book on the librarian's desk, but she stops her. Not that one. Riley tries to grab another one and the librarian stops her again. Oh boy, definitely not that one.
Speaker 4: I liked the idea behind this.
Speaker 5: You're trying to have a love story surrounded by some of the greatest love stories in the history of the world.
Speaker 4: Like read around. That idea is great.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 3: And all it would take is that while the librarian is walking past them, she overhears something stupid that one of them says or something superficial.
Speaker 4: But instead it's like this, shh, I know. It's so like, like.
Speaker 5: And I love that they're setting it up that she's obviously reading something pretty smutty. Something pretty spicy.
Speaker 4: I love that. No, not that one. No, definitely not that one.
Speaker 2: Look, all these books have one thing in common. You start on page one, and each page you turn brings you deeper into the story. What's your name? Riley, she responds. The librarian then asks, what's his name? Riley answers, Lucas. The librarian leans in closer to Riley. You like a good story?
Speaker 1: Riley nods.
Speaker 2: Then start at the beginning. With that, Riley walks back to Lucas. Hi. He looks up and says hi back. She sits back down and returns to her book. Over at the windowsill, Maya is now reading their book out loud. Because it's not until you really looked at each other and made a human connection that you can even begin to know each other. Farkle instructs her to look in my eyes. Maya quickly responds, no. Farkle isn't deterred and keeps demanding she looks in his eyes, but Maya keeps saying no. We cut back to Lucas and Riley, and now they're actually having a conversation. Lucas says he misses his pets in Texas, and Riley reveals that she had a hamster. Lucas reveals he had 24 horses, which, by all accounts, is too many horses.
Speaker 5: It's like 22 too many horses.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So he's got to be from a big horsing ranch family kind of thing.
Speaker 4: 20, that's a lot of horses. But also, what is the librarian's advice about starting on page one? Start at the beginning.
Speaker 5: I think it means the more in-depth the conversation you have, the deeper you get into your story with the person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you don't have to jump into the deep end. You start in the shallow end and you work your way to the deep end. So you can start with hi and then hi and then where are you from and from Texas?
Speaker 1: What do you do in Texas?
Speaker 5: Which actually mirrors what Maya says at the beginning where it's like just go over there and say hi and she keeps going down. Hey, hey there, like from the last episode too. It's like just start the conversation.
Speaker 2: Riley nods. You win. Tell me about them. Lucas continues. One day after school, Sophia was foaling. Riley asks, that means she was giving birth, right?
Speaker 1: Lucas smiles. He's impressed. Not too bad, city girl. He goes on.
Speaker 2: So I called Dr. Galando and he talked me through it. Anyway, that was all. She encourages him. More. Immediately, he continues. Did you know that a baby horse stands in the first hour after it's born? Riley's intrigued. Really? I'd like to have been there for that. He says it was the coolest thing.
Speaker 4: He's ever seen. It's a pretty intense story, I gotta say. Cool story, though. You give birth to a horse? Yeah.
Speaker 5: They did it on M.A.S.H., too. You gotta reach in and flip it around.
Speaker 4: A little more animation would, I think, come, you know, like this, this is like a big deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, you're not gonna believe this. Like, I was stuck giving birth to a horse at the age of 11.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, that's what this kid is saying. Yes. I feel like, Let's make a bigger thing out of this. You know, like describe it. Like, oh my God, I was scared. I was nervous. The doctor talked to me. I don't know. It's like a monologue moment.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: It's so weird the way it's played on written as just like, meh, I did this crazy thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, you gave birth to a horse, dude.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that was all.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Like, your elbows are bloody. That's what you should say.
Speaker 5: Like, I was in up to my elbows and she's like.
Speaker 4: Oh God. I mean, it must have been... Like, you know, that's like a real thing. That's like an intense experience.
Speaker 5: So weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially because it impacted him so much.
Speaker 1: He figured out what he wants.
Speaker 4: To do with his life. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: He wants to be a horse birther.
Speaker 2: He says it was the coolest thing he's ever seen. He adds, and I was a part of it. He turns to her and asks, Riley? She responds, Lucas? He says, I've never told this to anybody before. Riley is very excited. Is he going to say he likes her? And then Lucas reveals, I think someday I might like to be a veterinarian. Disappointed, she says, that's cool too. He goes on, I delivered this beautiful Palomino. I'd show you her picture, but I don't have my phone. She sighs, that's okay. Just keep talking. And he gives her a big smile. Nearby, Maya is still reading the book to Farkle. There's no connection you can make with any screen that compares to the moment you understand only human beings have souls.
Speaker 5: And did you notice this? There was a really weird beat here. So she's talking to Farkle and doesn't look over and then they just cut to, it's not even at the right time, but there's a weird cut where all of a sudden they just cut to Riley and Lucas mid conversation, but you can't hear what they're saying for a split second. And then they cut back to, to, it was the weirdest jump cut where it was like, what the, what? I rewound it three times. I was like, why, why did they just cut there to that? It was so, it almost just looks like they forgot to take a shot out. It was so weird. It was really, really strange. Yeah. Hmm.
Speaker 2: Farkle yells, I have a soul. They trade jabs again. Maya says no. And Farkle swears he does eventually looking away. Maybe he doesn't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, that's one of the jokes is he's a robot, right? Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Corey, Topanga, and Augie are now back at the bay window of their living room. Augie announces, I colored a new picture. Topanga asks him, can you stay like this forever? Corey puts him on his lap.
Speaker 1: Would you please?
Speaker 2: That'd be great. Augie points to the other side of the room. The picture's over there. He drew stick figures.
Speaker 1: Right on the wall.
Speaker 2: Mommy, Daddy, Augie, and no Riley.
Speaker 1: Corey is startled. Uh, Augie, I don't know if you should.
Speaker 2: Topanga cuts him off. It's beautiful, she whispers to Corey. I think that's what you're supposed to do. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Okay, what is, why does she have no idea? They have two kids.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Why does she have no idea what to do?
Speaker 5: None of this makes sense.
Speaker 4: And why is that a part of the story?
Speaker 3: Like, were you, like, was Topanga, I don't, I don't, I don't understand what this scene is about.
Speaker 5: I didn't, I didn't get it either. This is your second child.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is the point that Corey was right about something that Topanga– because in the previous scene you were saying just stay– as long as it stays coloring, stay young forever, it's going to be okay.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know what the point of this scene is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't get it either.
Speaker 4: Or Topanga's reaction to this scene.
Speaker 5: Why wouldn't Topanga know what to do?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I also– the librarian being the person who helps Riley figure out how to talk to Lucas. Again, another situation where if they were going to keep with this idea that Topanga was going to be totally accepting, which wouldn't have been my choice. My choice would have been that Topanga could have been, like I said, against it.
Speaker 1: I don't want that for her.
Speaker 2: But if they were going to keep with the idea that Topanga is is open to her, open to this, another great point of conflict would be that Topanga helps Corey with his assignment by teaching Riley how to open up to Lucas. And Corey's like, that's not what I meant. But that is, that was what the assignment was.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what Topanga did for Corey.
Speaker 4: And it would have braided the A and B storylines perfectly.
Speaker 5: You've also been coloring with him the whole time. So did you not notice him coloring on the wall and somehow getting a ladder out to cover the top of the refrigerator as well?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Just then, Riley walks into the living room and looks up at the ceiling.
Speaker 1: She's in love.
Speaker 2: Topanga, busy cleaning the fridge, smiles at her, but Corey is confused.
Speaker 1: How was your night, Riley? She replies, thank you for sending us to the library. He's shocked.
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Yes, she says. Lucas and I did really well on the assignment. I think that we're connected. Corey crosses his arms. What are you being connected? What are you talking about? How did you connect? Riley explains. We talked about stuff that was important to us. Too important to text. Did you know that when you listen to someone, they'll tell you stuff? Corey puts his hands on his hips.
Speaker 4: Oh boy.
Speaker 2: Riley continues. Friends talk to each other, but real friends listen. Maya knows how to draw and I know how to be a real friend. You're a good teacher, dad. You can keep my phone as long as you want. She hugs Corey and his jaw is almost on the floor. Riley practically skips to her room and Topanga walks over to congratulate her husband. He's even more confused than before. What did I do? Topanga reveals, you just taught our daughter how to feel. Whoa, Corey can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I did that?
Speaker 1: Topanga nods.
Speaker 5: You did?
Speaker 2: Corey shakes his head. I didn't mean to do that. She has feelings now? Topanga nods again. Corey wants to know how many? His wife smiles. All of them. He demands we'll put them back, but Topanga breaks it to him. We can't do that. Corey says he has a way, but Topanga insists there's no way. Then we jump to the classroom. Excitedly, Corey passes the phones back to the students.
Speaker 1: Here you go. Take your phone. Take it now.
Speaker 5: Good. Great.
Speaker 1: Nobody talks to nobody. No more feelings.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Then announces, okay, guys, the great technology debate.
Speaker 5: Let's boot it up.
Speaker 2: Riley and Lucas walk to the left side of the chalkboard, Maya and Farkle to the right. Farkle begins his presentation. I have always believed technology would help us fulfill our potential as a species. And when Farkel does rule the world, no matter what device we come up with, we should also never forget what we can do with a pencil, a piece of paper, and our own imaginations. He shows Maya's drawing to the class. I've been keeping this in my pocket where my phone used to be. I keep looking at it. I'm fine. Maya smiles. Thanks, Farkel. He instructs her again.
Speaker 1: Look in my eyes. But Maya insists, no. Riley's up next.
Speaker 2: I thought my whole life was in my phone, but it turns out that I don't really have any friends in there. And you don't need your phone to connect with your real friends. Lucas joins in. Allow us to demonstrate. They turn to each other and exchange hellos. Ta-da.
Speaker 5: When this boy meets where?
Speaker 4: So the, yeah.
Speaker 5: I know, yeah. Again, good message. Uh-huh.
Speaker 4: Good message.
Speaker 5: Yes. Yes. Get off your phone.
Speaker 4: Live your life. Great issue to tackle for kids. Correct.
Speaker 2: Now in the library, Corey walks to a bookshelf and moves a book, trying to find something. We hear a voice say, I'm not that tall. He then goes for the bottom shelf. The voice asks, really? When he finally moves some books from the middle shelf, it reveals Maya.
Speaker 1: She smirks.
Speaker 2: How you doing? Corey demands, you will keep an eye on Riley at all times. You will send me a message alert. You will send me pictures.
Speaker 4: This is so inappropriate. I just think it's so creepy.
Speaker 5: As both teacher and parent.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: You know, like the, there's like this very simple rule.
Speaker 3: Like if an adult asks you to keep a secret, you know, like that, I told my son that it's like very basic parenting thing. Like if any adult asks you to keep a secret, Don't trust that person or come tell me.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: And here is the teacher.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Asking her to keep a secret. And that secret is to keep an eye on his daughter.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Send pictures and messages.
Speaker 3: And he's giving her a phone, which is anti everything that he's been this entire time.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: And not in a funny way, like in a really horrible way.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, I get the joke of like, oh, he learned the lesson.
Speaker 4: He learned the wrong lesson. But like, it's not cool. Like, I was like genuinely disturbed by this. And I can't believe if Disney.
Speaker 3: Is like seriously over like, you know, being very sensitive and like making sure that the messages that they're giving, like, I can't believe this got through because it's truly a weird message.
Speaker 2: Especially because it hasn't been set up at all that one of the benefits to technology is safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Or tracking somebody.
Speaker 2: If it had been set up at all that Maya finds herself in unsafe situations.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's such an easy solution. You're right. That would have been such an easy solution.
Speaker 1: Then he could be giving her a phone to say.
Speaker 4: For that purpose.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: I have your tracking. I know where you are. If you ever need me, you please. My phone number is the only phone number in there. You know, like that kind of a thing. If that had been anywhere in the storyline, that the only way Maya feels like she's missed out is that she needs it for some sort of safety thing.
Speaker 1: Then that all makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the way it's been set up to this point is that Maya feels a little left out because she doesn't have a cool phone.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 5: But she... So I was trying to remember, are there other than when at when Chet left and left Sean with the Matthews? Was there a time where Alan and Amy were buying things specifically for Sean? I don't think there was. Corey might give him something. Here's my basketball or whatever for Christmas. But I don't recall ever Alan and Amy like taking that roll on of now I'm going to. Here's this, here's that, here's this.
Speaker 4: Just housing him, right? Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then she's buying him clothes because he had nothing.
Speaker 1: And he was living with them.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Weird.
Speaker 2: Maya nods. You're really scared, aren't you? Corey explains.
Speaker 4: I'm a father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Maya says. They're just friends. Corey isn't convinced.
Speaker 4: Believe me.
Speaker 2: I know the story. Maya reminds him. You're forgetting that I don't have the technology. Corey places a phone on the bookshelf. Now you do. She can't believe it. You got me a phone? He admits, my motives are completely selfish. She looks at him.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure they are, Mr.
Speaker 2: Matthews. He reaches into his pocket and takes out a pack of colored pencils. Well, I also got you these. You let me know everything that's going on with Riley, and if something beautiful ever happens, paint me a picture. With that, he pats her on the back and walks away.
Speaker 4: Thank you all for.
Speaker 2: Joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram, podmeetsworldshow. You can send us your emails, podmeetsworldshow at gmail.com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 4: I'm foaling a horse.
Speaker 5: March.
Speaker 1: Will, send us out.
Speaker 4: We love you all.
Speaker 5: Pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fishel, Will Friedle, and Ryder Strong. Executive Producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in Charge of Production, Danielle Romo. Producer and Editor, Tara Sudbach. Producer, Maddie Moore. Engineer and Boy Meets World superfan, Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon, and you can follow us on Instagram at podmeetsworldshow or email us at podmeetsworldshow at gmail.com.