Speaker 1: So this is it.
Speaker 2: We are here finally, and here's my question before we even tell people what we're doing this week. How many times have you seen this week's movie? If you had to guess, not.
Speaker 3: Very many, not very many. No, no, no, no, okay. So it's not like you've watched this thing fifty times.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I mean when the movie came out, I was probably twenty two, twenty three, right, So I'm not gonna say I wasn't a fan, because that would be an absolute lie. But I wasn't like a fanatic like I probably watched Brink and Johnny Tsunami, you know, any every single time it was on the channel, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Right, And so that wasn't.
Speaker 3: This, But I I feel like I've watched it. I'd say probably maybe four times. This is probably my fifth, okay, fifth and six, because I watch them twice, you know.
Speaker 2: So could you mouth along with all the songs? Did you know, like all the words all the songs?
Speaker 3: Not all of them, but yes, get you Ahead in the Game has been a fave of mine.
Speaker 4: So I just totally gave away the movie because you did.
Speaker 1: You just gave away what we're doing this week. I think everyone knows do.
Speaker 4: You asked if I knew the words, and we.
Speaker 1: Might as well just jump in, don't you think?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: So welcome back to Magical rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the wave tsunamis and the high schools music call. Yes, it is the biggest day ever here at Magical Rewinds, So get your head in the game. We are now recapping the most successful franchise in dcom history, and we're starting with the movie that kicked it all off, the first HSM. That's right, and that's what the cool kids call it, but it's actually if you pronounce it the way the drama teacher, for some reason does in this movie, High School MUSICALE.
Speaker 1: This is obviously on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: It's actually one of the main titles they launched with, So go and watch it there now, or just listen because you probably remember everything by heart anyway from this movie.
Speaker 4: You do not probably even need to watch Let's Be Real.
Speaker 1: Let's All Be Real.
Speaker 2: It is a song and dance story of identity and perception that first aired on My.
Speaker 6: Dad's birthday, January twentieth, two thousand and six, and the concept was born from Disney executive brains who noticed the outlandishly amazing success of standalone musicale I want to say it every time now, musicale episodes, musical episode of Even Stevens and Natso Raven and wanted to take it one step further, and the premiere broadcast generated seven point seven million viewers, breaking the then record for the largest original cable audience in history.
Speaker 1: Wow, eventually to be broken by the Cheetah Girls.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sabrina, you broke the record.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Musical.
Speaker 4: It was tough to beat, guys, you know it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we really had to bush, but you did it.
Speaker 1: It was the Cheetah chatter. It did it every time.
Speaker 2: The movie soundtrack made it all the way to number one on the US Billboard two hundred and sold over four million copies. It was the best selling album of two thousand and six. To call this film and the enterprise that would follow a success would be such an understatement. It became an institution, an absolute institution. This is amazing. I love reading this. Every time I read this, I was like, this can't be right. But it's true. Two dcom sequels, a directed DVD spinoff, a reality show concept, a meta reboot TV shows that's still airing and spawning superstars at Disney, plus foreign adaptations, a reunion special, stage show, revivals, best selling novelizations, six video games and comic books, live concerts, Halloween costumes, and enough merchandise to fill a theme park. This is a true with Disney pillar, and it started with Today's movie with just a four point two million dollar budget that turned into more than a billion dollars I'll say that again, a billion with.
Speaker 1: A B dollars rail I mean amazing.
Speaker 2: This was the sixty third dcome ever, so like the old saying, the sixty third tries of charm?
Speaker 1: Is that what they say?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, okay whatever. It was also.
Speaker 2: Nominated for six Emmy Awards and one two in two thousand and six. It won Outstanding Choreography and Outstanding Children's Programming, but it was also up for Outstanding Casting, Outstanding Directing, and had two songs in Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics. And these unbelievably incredible results spoke for themselves as it was replayed maybe hundreds of times, but the DVD once released, sold eight million units, earning itself an operating income of one hundred million dollars. This was truly the type of project that single handedly moved disney stock price.
Speaker 1: This changed the ballgame.
Speaker 2: It was a juggernaut and just absolutely amazing. One of the few, well, not to spoil it, but one of the few dcoms I'd actually heard.
Speaker 1: Of, Yes, going into this thing, that's how big it was.
Speaker 5: I knew what it was.
Speaker 1: That's how big it was. Yeah. It was shot in Ready, Utah, one of the chances, and.
Speaker 4: At school we have seen already.
Speaker 1: It was the Mini Man's School, wasn't it? Yes, mess.
Speaker 2: It has become such a milestone for the state that there are tours available for the shooting locations, which include Salt Lake Cities, Murray High School, and East High School, which still has Sharpay's pink locker intact. They also shot some scenes in nearby Salt Lake City and at home in Los Angeles. Ten days of rehearsal and just twenty four days to shoot, which is an amazingly tight schedule, and it shows you how history can be made in thirty four short days.
Speaker 5: Because Wow, and.
Speaker 2: Even with a somewhat jaded and media heavy generation. This was a cultural moment.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: Everyone knew it existed, including myself. It was spoofed on SNL, created numerous household names in the industry, and it was all done with a very very family friendly, non ironic sometimes and somewhat saccerin musical. It's optimistic and very clean, even for a dcom. I mean, I don't think there's even a double entendre in this entire movie. No, really incredible. Now, I don't even have to ask you this. You've obviously you heard of High School Musical, so I'm just gonna ask you said you'd seen it four or five times. But how big a deal was this one for you? You said you liked it, but this was not Brinker Johnny Tsunami for you, right right?
Speaker 3: I mean I would So I mentioned this when we were talking with Michael healy Is. This movie came out and was happening while we were in Spain shooting the second movie. So and we were with Kenny Ortega, the same director, So we were getting so much of the inside scoop of what was going on and the success of it, that of course we had to figure out a way to watch the movie and see they really were able to take a lot of what I think they learned going through The Cheetah Girls, right, because The Cheetah Girls was the first like musical, right, and we did end up doing a Christmas tour after that one, and they were starting to realize how much these musicals that they were not tapping into yet that they could really take.
Speaker 4: On the road. And you know so much.
Speaker 3: And so we were right there with Kenny as he's getting in all the information of these kids and what's happening at these events that they're showing. I mean they shut down Times Square at some point.
Speaker 4: I mean it was giant.
Speaker 3: So this movie was I mean, obviously I was a fan and loved watching it, but it was so cool to be in the wheelhouse of the Disney Channel and hearing how awesome it was doing it was just phenomen It just really isn't.
Speaker 2: Wait to see the sequels of all these things, Cheetah Girls and High School Musical and.
Speaker 3: Descendants, because here's the Oh so we're not gonna get into whether I like the movie or not right away.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna get that. But I'm dying to know you.
Speaker 2: Could you could see that this was genesis in that, for.
Speaker 1: Instance, Teen Beach movie.
Speaker 2: To me, and I know very little about this stuff, but it seemed the choreography was a little bit tighter. It was I don't know, it seemed like they were still trying with Cheatah Girls what. Like. That's why I want to see how different Cheata Girls Too and High School Musical two are because it seemed like they're trying to they're still figuring it out at this point. Of of course, they're still figuring out right the genre of their creating the genre as they're going.
Speaker 4: Yes, what what are they doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: You see it in this movie that they bring in music.
Speaker 3: Differently, like yes at the beginning, and we'll get into how all of that kind of transforms and everything thing, but okay, right, like the Cheetah Girls was not necessary. We didn't really break out into song until our finale.
Speaker 2: Right, And I have some questions about why they broke into song.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I have some.
Speaker 4: I know you or I was, well, we get to the first time they do it.
Speaker 3: I'm like in my head, going buckle up, will, because we're going on a ride.
Speaker 4: This is it. Here we go. They are going to break out into song. All over this movie.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's just stick to the status quo and start something new.
Speaker 1: It's time for the synopsis.
Speaker 2: So a popular high school athlete and an academically gifted girl aspire to join the school MUSICALE I'll stop doing that, the school musical, threatening the student body social order, and falling for each other in the process.
Speaker 1: So early thoughts, Sabrina, What did you think?
Speaker 3: All Right? I, you know, it was really I haven't seen this movie in a while, so very excited to watch it again and kind of more so not necessarily critique it, but kind of break it down.
Speaker 4: Was hard for me.
Speaker 3: I just I just kind of going, oh, crap, I'm supposed to be doing Sabrina seat like I'm not. You know, I really got lost in it this one, because it's been a while since we've watched a movie that I really liked, you know that I was really just fully in and so it was really nice. The second time is when I kind of got myself a little bit more straight on what are the Sabrina funny things that I kind of saw? I thought the characters they were so perfectly cast. I mean, I don't think there's anyone in the world. That could have done a better Sharpey than Ashley Tisdale, Right, Corbin Blue. Obviously we all love you know, Zach and.
Speaker 4: And he was amazing. I just I loved it.
Speaker 3: It just made me go, wow, this was just Disney hit it out of the park with this one.
Speaker 4: That's my early thoughts and what I'm gonna be saying.
Speaker 1: So, I hope you're okay.
Speaker 4: No, I hope you think Well, that's the better question. We know how I feel about this movie. What did you think about this music?
Speaker 1: Now? Okay, overall I liked it. No, overall I liked it. Okay.
Speaker 2: The cast is phenomenal. They're phenomenal. Exactly what you said. You could not have picked better people to play the roles in this film at all. That Zach and Vanessa are have so much chemistry, They're both cute as hell. Ashley Tisdale and our brother are funny and kind of ironic.
Speaker 1: And the supporting cast, all that stuff is great.
Speaker 2: I have some questions about certain ideas when it comes to the singing. I thought, I and that's just me figuring out the kind of I'm trying to figure out I think while they're trying to also figure out how to make this work, right, going from you know, they're singing in a show, and he doesn't want to tell all his friends that he wants to be a singer. But all of his friends are then singing with him on the basketball court, so is he imagining that?
Speaker 4: But no, it's the it's this movie. It's like Greece.
Speaker 3: It's there's a right they they're not necessarily supposed to be singing. They're supposed to be talking to each other through song. I know that they are. But they're talking to each other.
Speaker 1: Through song and dance, which is fine.
Speaker 2: I get that, But then it becomes a little muddled to me, where then the thing he's embarrassed about is wanting to sing and dance, right.
Speaker 4: I mean I.
Speaker 1: So it's like I don't planatory. I know, I know, I know, but this is where my head goes.
Speaker 4: Right, I get it.
Speaker 3: And again it goes along with whether or not you like musicals, like if you're down for that singing next to your locker and swooning around a railing.
Speaker 1: Right, But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: All the other musicals that are musicals will break into song about whatever they're doing, grease, lightning, whatever, whatever it is his hang up in the movie was that he thought it was going to be embarrassing to sing and dance, right, And he's explaining that to his friends who are singing and dancing with.
Speaker 1: Him next to him. So it's like, how do I tell my friend I want to sing? And his friend's like, you gotta tell me you can't want to sing, and it's like, but you're singing. So that was the thing for me.
Speaker 3: I think it was more on a broader term of not necessarily singing.
Speaker 4: It's about being a part of the drama.
Speaker 3: Group, which I get very separated from the you know, the jocks.
Speaker 1: That was that was it totally understand that.
Speaker 2: So then I literally as the first and seconds as the first song finished, and I'm like where they're both like I don't know if I should get up there and sing, and then they're both amazing singers. I was like, oh god, I'm gonna be in for it. And then I paused it. I literally pause it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, but at least they were doing karaoke.
Speaker 2: They were no, no, no, but wait, I paused it, and I was like, stop, stop watching it like this and watch it like you're supposed to watch it. Like you're a thirteen year old or whatever, you've never seen something like this before, watch it like that. And when I got into that mindset, I really enjoyed it because it was again the set.
Speaker 1: Pieces of the dancing are amazing.
Speaker 2: You've got entire gymnasiums of extras and actors and everybody dancing and sync. You've got Ashley Tisdale who kills it in this movie. She's funny and is just in character the whole time.
Speaker 1: It really works. It's very Disney.
Speaker 2: At the same time, you've got a great little love story going on between the two cutest characters in the world. Once I got out of my own way, right, I enjoyed it because but there was still plenty of things where I was like, wait a second, hang on again, and I will tell a little story about speaking to a Disney executive a little bit later about how something is very generational. But after I got out of my own way, I didn't have a problem with it.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 2: It was it is what it is this movie. But it was also from the standpoint of filmmaking, it was interesting to see how they were trying to figure out the musical movie for Disney, right and see the growth from Cheetah Girls to this to then. I can't wait to see what the other sequels are going to do because you can tell that there it's going to be ratcheted up another notch and ratcheted up another notch.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited to see that.
Speaker 3: Well, because when we did The Cheetah Girls, it wasn't written or necessarily made to be a musical. Like our contracts didn't even include CD sales like music being sold as an album.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like that.
Speaker 3: So they did definitely, I mean we although it did well, it wasn't meant to be that way, so they did. They went about this in a more direct version. Let's give this generation their grease, right, yeah, you know, And I just felt like, even though you can see a little bit that they're still trying to figure things out. I'm so glad that they had Kenny Ortega on this movie because this is his wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: He was the one that choreographed and helped direct a lot of Michael Jackson, remember when he had these long I think it was smooth Criminal was like fifteen minutes or whatever, Newszi's.
Speaker 4: He was the choreographer in Newzy's.
Speaker 1: Oh Yeah, we're gonna to work. We're gonna be talking a lot about him.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, let's first get into the cast. The movie stars Zach Effron, obviously as Troy Bolton, great name an actor who became a Hollywood mainstay before HSM I like to say it. He'd appears on shows like Firefly and Er and starred on another program called Summerland alongside Lori Laughlin and Jesse McCartney. Since High School Musical, he would find massive success in comedies like Seventeen Again, Neighbors and Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, and of course, the musical The Greatest Showman. He would also return for the musicale Hairspray, but last year he changed appears a little bit and starred in the very intense wrestling drama Ironclaw, and a lot of people think he was completely and totally robbed at Award season.
Speaker 1: He was great in that film.
Speaker 2: His female co star is Vanessa Hudgens, who plays Gabriella Montes, another Hollywood darling. She really only appeared in the movie Thirteen and a few Disney episodes before getting cast in High School Musical, and not only went on to become the face of Nutrigina candies and apparently Coachella.
Speaker 1: She'd also become a pop star. Soon after this movie.
Speaker 2: She was cast in movies like Sucker Punch, Sprint Breakers, Machete Kills, Grease Live, and she was just in the big, huge summer hit Bad Boys Rider Die, which is the first movie that's actually done well this year. She recently married baseball player Cole Tucker and as soon to give birth to their first child.
Speaker 3: Congratulations baby, v I love that, so excited for you.
Speaker 2: Small note after filming the movie, which again this shows what a cultural phenomenon this was.
Speaker 1: Even I knew this.
Speaker 2: She and zach Efron were a big, real life power couple and they were together for many years. That's how you know it breaks through the cultural zeitgeist. When it's what two thousand and six, there's no real social media. I don't know who any of these people are.
Speaker 1: And even I knew Zac Efron and Vanessa Hutchins were.
Speaker 3: Dating, right, It was mega, mega They really were took Disney Channel movies and everything to an entirely new level. And I think they were together throughout the run of the franchise.
Speaker 1: I think so too. Yeah, together for years I think yes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ashley Tisdale plays villain Sharpey Evans, a name right from the Jackal Johnson playbook. She was a incredibly busy child actress before high school musical, starring on MGM sing Along Tape, then appearing on shows like Seventh Heaven, Smart Guy and Still Standing.
Speaker 1: She had the chops by the time she got to Disney.
Speaker 2: She would also form a music career after this movie, as well as a DVD spinoff for her character, and she'd go on to appear in so many things like to Bring It On sequel, Scary Movie, Five Sons of Anarchy, and Hellcats. She was also one of the stars of Disney Channel's Sweet Life of Zach and Cody, where she played Mattie Fitzpatrick. Kind of a big show on the channel, but her voice acting career has really been a bread and butter as Candace on Phineas and Ferb Sabrina on The Sabrina of the Teenage Which cartoon, and voices on Skylanders, Academy, Ginger Snaps, Family Guy, and a little show called Kim Possble. I worked with Ashley all the time and never met her.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's so crazy about so nuts.
Speaker 2: Corbin Blue played Chad dan Forth basketball player and Troy Powell. He's another example of an actor who had a successful music career after this movie, but also appeared in twenty thirteen's Sugar Camp hide Out and has been on Broadway for the musical in the Heights and Godspell, and is a fellow Dancing with the Star our runner up, like somebody Else to do here?
Speaker 4: He killed it on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize I've never seen a Dance with the Stars of my life epic epic.
Speaker 2: I would watch Dance with the Stars, but apparently, from what I've been told, there's a lot of dancing. Yeah, there are also so many great people in this movie. Let's just run through some others. We've got Lucas Gray Biale the scene stealer, as Sharpay's Fedora loving brother. Ryan Monique Coleman is Taylor Gabriella's new decathlon friend, Bart Johnson as basketball coach Jack Bolton, Troy's dad, And for listeners of our show, we interviewed his wife, Robin Lively for the greatest film ever made Fuzzbucket, Bucket, Buzz Bucket. We're still waiting for fuzz Bucket too, this time at personal. There are so many others in this movie, and we'll get to some of them throughout the recap. The movie runs ninety eight minutes, eight minutes above the Bullseye and is directed, as Sabrina Said by the legendary Kenny Ortega, who is a genuine Disney Hall of Famer. He was originally a choreographer who worked with Michael Jackson on the movie Xanadu, the Let's Get Physical music video for Livia Newton john the Material Girl video, Madonna Pretty in Pink, Dirty Dancing. It goes on and on and on. He would quickly transition into directing, first for music videos, then into movies like Newsi's Pocus Pocus and Cheetah Girls Too, and since taking a success so many ways since the High School Musical franchise, most importantly for this podcast, he moved right into the Descendants franchise for Disney, so he is still a Disney mainstay tent pole. You know you're getting something good when Kenny Ortega directs it. There is no way in the world this movie becomes as big as it does without Kenny Ortega, who directed so many elements of this movie. So as a resident expert because you worked with him. How hands on is he with everything going on in the film. What's it like working with this guy?
Speaker 3: Everything he I mean, he really is such an artist.
Speaker 4: I mean it's he is so into the drama. The what I really loved what he did with.
Speaker 3: My character and really helped was to develop a progression. He loved to since we were doing the second movie, it was about where taking you know, what was the first movie and where has this teenager young woman now transitioned into. So he wanted to take my my my character Derinda from being.
Speaker 4: You know, sort of not kind of tomboy, she was rougher.
Speaker 3: He wanted to really soften me because I was getting I was, you know, about to have a love interest.
Speaker 4: So I really loved that.
Speaker 2: But Joe has a love interest in the second one. Don't Ruin Anymore anymore?
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, I don't know where to go from there.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but I will say And and we actually talked about it during the Michael Healy interview.
Speaker 4: Was there's a dance sequence that I had And yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Talked about the is it that salsa but it's a tango tango right right.
Speaker 3: And the energy and I mean, can you imagine for me dancer, huge fan of Kenny, everything, Michael Jackson, you know, everything that he was, and then now I have this where it wasn't me and the other Cheetah girls, it was just my character with other dancers and it was I mean, imagine how it was waking up that day for me, amazing, I'm about to do this incredible scene with Kenny Ortega. I mean that's just what I kept saying, like, inch me somebody. It felt like a dream. It was amazing he is and I just you could just feel the energy. All of the people that were behind the camera were just looking around, going this is And it turned out so beautiful. It's one of my most proud moments that's on film. I loved it, and he was really amazing. He was over the top.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 3: I mean he brought in all those kinds of fun things too, I mean, everything was. He did this a lot a lot during the movie. He wanted the panning, so he would constantly because we were in Barcelona, so he just the architect sure everywhere he wanted it panned down, and so you just saw him looking for where he wanted it, and I mean, I can't wait for you to see the movie because it's just so.
Speaker 2: Beautifulul okay, well, I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: I see it now.
Speaker 3: He was a dream to work with though, I mean, he really was. Everything he brought was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: What was What did you think of the dancing in this movie? Was? It was the dancing good in this movie in high school musical?
Speaker 4: So you know, for my I ream.
Speaker 3: Okay, so watching it back then and then now watching it as more of an older, a you know, adult. Sure, I remember watching it and going, I'm really glad that that's not how we dance in ours because it was less hip hop. And I loved that the Cheetah Girls was more of like a hip hop style, right, And then then I realized watching it back now, in the second movie, we do do a lot of dancing. That's more like that, you know, we are breaking out into dance in the second movie a lot more. And his lines and everything is just very big and he does he just so right on the money.
Speaker 4: And I loved them dancing. It's a little bit.
Speaker 3: More Disney, you know, yeah, musical look like it was more of like a musical theater. I Vibe Versus Ours was very hip hop, so I remember not really loving it back then, but watching it for this show, I was like, what.
Speaker 4: Was I I mean that, but those are they look great? It's awesome.
Speaker 2: It's nothing of dancing, Like, I know nothing of dancing, and I I thought the dancing and Teen Beach movie was better.
Speaker 3: Teen Beach, I would say, if I was gonna compare it, Team Beach was more of a like sort of kind of fossy style like the style of Yah.
Speaker 4: Team Beach was definitely more that.
Speaker 2: It just were tighter and more professional in Teen Beach kind of really okay. And again this is as somebody who knows nothing of dancing, so you could be like, yeah, you're wrong, that's not you're that's just incorrect.
Speaker 4: No, I think I think it was great it.
Speaker 3: Did you feel the vibe of Team Beach a little bit with gets you ahead in the game where they were using the basketball?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did, of course. Of course that's.
Speaker 4: Probably one of my favorite.
Speaker 3: I think that's my favorite routine and performance aspect of the movie of this one.
Speaker 5: Of this one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I wouldn't disagree that that was very very good.
Speaker 2: I like the last one at the end too, where the whole everybody's dancing together is Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we get to the pep Rowley, I'm really excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah we will definitely.
Speaker 2: Well yes, So obviously this movie would not have been what it is without Kenny Ortega. It was written by Peter and I'm hoping I get this name right Barsaccini, who had written the nineteen ninety four Wesley Snipes movie Drop Zone, which again we keep coming back to.
Speaker 1: It's so strange, but.
Speaker 2: We keep coming back to Koronemic, Koran Nemic, who was in the Parker Lewis can't louse starting Drop Zone with Snipe, So for some reason we have a korn Nemic thing on this podcast. You know this guy he wrote Dropped Zone and is now probably an ridiculously rich man who wrote high school musical, dedicating it to his then daughter Gabriella, who he named the main character after.
Speaker 4: That is such a fun fact that I had no idea.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure are producers who are very excited about this because they're all very big high school musical fans. I wonder if they knew that because I love that little It is cool, what a great Snapple.
Speaker 2: Fact, isn't it, And honestly, you didn't need to know any more of his contribution to TV. But in twenty twenty one, he was credited writer on Vivo and animated musical for Sony that included original songs from Lynn Manuel Miranda. I already asked you how many songs you knew the words too, but I did not ask you who your favorite character was.
Speaker 1: Who was your favorite character in the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, I know what You're gonna just roll your eyes at me. I loved Troy. It's not just because he's Zach Effrod and not because of all the reasons that I know you're thinking.
Speaker 1: It is, But it's mostly those reasons.
Speaker 4: Virtually, I can't I can't you know, deny any of that.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I just love I just felt like he was such a nice guy.
Speaker 4: Is they set him up to be so likable?
Speaker 3: I mean it's not even just you want a date, you want your kid to date that kid like you. I mean, he was such the moment he has with her mom when he comes to the house.
Speaker 4: I know I'm jumping.
Speaker 3: Ahead, but what I mean if someone came to my house and a guy or a girl came to my house and was that polite. I would just you know what, you just come on it. You guys need to sort it out. Get in here, you cuty pie. Oh man, I get. I also love Gorbin Blue in this. Yeah, Ashley Tisdale, See it's tough because sharpay is this movie would not be the movie without Sharpey because she's so.
Speaker 2: Good and the girl who's the who's the actual like helps him sing in the choreographer.
Speaker 1: She was great too.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you recognize her?
Speaker 1: I thought, I did. What do I know her from?
Speaker 3: She's the character that I said in the movie we just did poof point I think she was one of the little frends.
Speaker 4: She's tiny, she's young.
Speaker 1: I am almost she is?
Speaker 5: That is her. Yep.
Speaker 4: When I saw her, I was like, yeah, so this.
Speaker 1: Was after she poof pointed. Okay, gotcha. Yeah, she had been poof pointed and now she's here. She upgraded. Let say they'll be exactly.
Speaker 2: All these actors, by the way, are now seen essentially as Disney Royalty, and they were making up to a million dollars each for the sequels, which again, wow for Disney paying is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, let's get into the.
Speaker 2: Movie itself, because I know that listeners have been waiting for this episode since we announced the podcast.
Speaker 1: So here we go.
Speaker 2: We open on New Year's Eve, and it's actually supposed to be Utah's is very rare because they normally disguise the state as something else, which they will do very soon. But we're in a resort where things are popping off for the countdown, except for the snow, which looks incredibly bad.
Speaker 1: And is only snowing on one half of the screen.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you notice that it is only snowing on the left side, the right, no snow at all.
Speaker 3: Very first, Sabrita Seas comes in right at that thirty second mark. You're going, uh, back, did we did we do we forget the left side?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, already, somebody pay the guy to do a little more snow because it's only snowing on the left half of the screen.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: So, Troy and his dad are too busy playing basketball on a full sized basketball court at this resort to actually go to the party. And it's another kind of snow resort we have. We have snow resorts or some type of resorts. A lot of Disney movies. Meanwhile, Vanessa Hudgens Gabriella is also too focused in something other than New Year's Eve, and that's reading.
Speaker 1: She's definitely a real bookworm.
Speaker 2: She's a school genius, and it seems like even a vacation is stopping her from doing what she really loves, which is learning. But they're both pressured by their families into going to a kid party at the resort, which, by the way, is a ridiculously huge.
Speaker 1: Part that it's just popping off.
Speaker 2: So it makes you wonder how many families are actually at this resort and just see ten thousand people, And even though they'd love to be anywhere, but they're they're randomly selected as a pair to do karaoke, and what are the chances? Despite all their anxiety, they both are world class singers. Instantly, their voices meshed perfectly. It is the world's greatest meet cute ever. And we get a song called something New in the first three minutes. And that's when I had to posit and get out of my own head because I was like, Oh, I'm so nervous. I can't get on stage. I'm nervous too, I can't get on stage.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm a world class singer. So I was like, this is a musical, dude, this is what's gonna happen. Get out of your own damn well.
Speaker 3: But I mean, first of all, seeing that obviously you've seen them now as their adults, and you know, looking at these two cuties that were so young.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I just get going.
Speaker 3: Look how young Vanessa is. She still has it like you know, I you know, it was so cute. They were kiddable, their little eyes, their chemistry right from the start.
Speaker 1: He takes off his jacket.
Speaker 2: But now this is where we need to acknowledge something, because everyone in the movie is actually singing except for zach Efron, and the first one is char was later dubbed, allegedly without his real knowledge, by another Disney actor, someone who would originally audition for the role, who we've talked about before in this podcast, Drew Seely Seely. A few lines in this whole movie were actually sung by zac Efron. We've already run into the same thing in another movie, but this one became a sort of folklore about this movie, and some are very critical of it. But it was never hidden or anything. Did you know this at the time? That he wasn't singing. This was a big thing that he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I want to say the producer music producer, Robbie Neville. I want to say, I can't remember which one he was the one that told us about that, one of the producers, because he was on the show and he at some point the mixed voices together of some sort like they sort of transition him into then it only being Zach later on in the sequel.
Speaker 1: Which I yeah, I was gonna say, which I find very strange.
Speaker 2: They did that same thing, uh in teen Beach Movie, and then they let him sing for the second one, so obviously they can sing. So it's very strange because yeah, for those of you keeping score, as Zach Efron will return for the next two sequels, and then he did sing his part, right, so yeah, he's got a real Justin Bieber look to him, and he can obviously sing since he sang in the next two films.
Speaker 4: I was one, How did you feel like he did?
Speaker 3: As far as literal thinking, i'd yeah, I thought, there is one part when he there's no music and he's singing, and I'm going, wait.
Speaker 1: He's actually singing. I think he's actually.
Speaker 3: Had to have been, because it does not sound like your typical voiceover when they pre record.
Speaker 2: I think that's it's when he's getting ready for the audition and and the singing, and Ryan comes by and hears them. Yes, we're pretty sure that is actually zach Efron. So he can sing. Makes you wonder what decision was made at what level to dub him. So Troy and Gabriella vocally hit it off and do the sparks fly. Troy gets her number with his incredibly nostalgic flip phone, so when he tries to get to know her better, she's all of a sudden gone like a thief in the night. And then we find ourselves at school. East High in New Mexico is back in session and Troy is getting off the bus to his best pal Chad and well, frankly incredible fanfair. He's clearly the most popular kid in school, if not the entire state. Apparently the East High Wildcats basketball team is as important as it is at Duke Right, And this is the start of Kenny or Takes very impressive directing and why he was nominated for an Emmy because there is so much background in business and choreography. We travel throughout the school hallways, meeting our characters Queen theater kid and her brother, Sharpey and Ryan, the entire basketball team and cheerleaders, and the smart scholarly crew judging them. And guess who all of a sudden turns out to be a new student at East High. Yup, it's Gabriella, who was bullied for being too smart and too cute at her old school. And she was, you know, in homeroom with Troy, of course, which isn't homeroom done by alphabetical?
Speaker 1: So I thought it was alphabetical. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the teacher. Sometimes you'd have that. Sometimes they let you pick your seat.
Speaker 2: No, I meant alphabetical, like you're for whoever's in the class for homeroom is alphabetical. So for that same class, I thought they'd have the same alphabetical last or close to it.
Speaker 1: But I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So we do have a question about the homeroom, which is taught by the drama teacher with a large couch seat, missus Darbis played by Alison Reid.
Speaker 1: How long is homeroom?
Speaker 2: Because it feels like she makes a few announcements, then dismisses them ten minutes later.
Speaker 4: So you right, that was the quickest class ever, very very fast.
Speaker 1: Home room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we didn't have a home room.
Speaker 3: You just had first period and it was your It could be your math class, it could be your English class, social no, nothing, it was just the very first You just go straight into your attendances taken out at first period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went.
Speaker 2: The school musicale is looking for sign ups, especially for the leads, which has to be a pair because you need to audition in pairs, which is not a thing anywhere ever. Sorry, that was weird. That was a weird thing. They could have rewritten that. It's just you don't audition in pairs. No, it's get the best person you.
Speaker 4: Can audition in a pair, and one of you can make it and the other place you can't.
Speaker 1: Or you mix and match and you put them together. So lost me right there.
Speaker 3: That's what callbacks are actually for, right, you mix math?
Speaker 2: Then Troy calls Gabriella to make sure it's actually her in class. The ringing phone gets almost the entire group detention because you're not supposed to have phones in your school, right, Yes, Wait, it's supposed to be. We've heard you, We've heard you talk about your similar experiences.
Speaker 4: Phone take it away.
Speaker 3: With your phone taken every day and second period.
Speaker 2: You would think eventually, Sabrina, you'd stop bringing your phone to second period, right.
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 3: Coach Bailey, who had to pick it up from every day by the third or fourth month, was like, dude, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Anyway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the Utah New Year's Eve couple is back together, even though they didn't connect again at the lodger. Keep in touch, but Troy is up, which makes you wonder why didn't he actually call her? But Troy is already nervous that his friends will find out he sang with her what I can't let my friends know. I sung a song with the perfect pitch and key because I am a world class singer. And this is intensified when they stumble on the pair's musical sign up and Sharpey, who is of course being a mean girl to the new transfer, and she appears to like the varsity star Troy. We've talked about Astley Tisdelle. She's so good in this movie. So Troy floats the idea to his basketball team about the musical and of course is just shot down. This is where I'm gonna throw in a very quick story about Disney. So not too long ago, a couple of years now, I had an idea for a dcom and my friend and I as a producer writer, we came up with this great pitch and we met with somebody at Disney who was very high up in the dcom world. I won't say who, and she very politely listened to our pitch and then she stopped us and she went not even close.
Speaker 1: She said, the dcom is totally different. This is not what it's like.
Speaker 2: She said, to the point where this year, So this is a couple of years ago, she said, we had a group of one hundred kids that we sat down and we showed them high school Musical, our biggest hit ever. And to a person, they hated it. And she said, the reason they hated it is because none.
Speaker 1: Of them.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do the double night it because I'll put it this way, all of them now as kids multitask, basketball, theater, karate, tennis, Oh, whatever you want to do, that's what kids do. So they did not get the idea where it's like you want to be in theater and play basketball. Go be in theater and play basketball. That's that's It's not one or the other. And she was like, it was the most amazing eye opening thing. She said, We had one hundred kids ranging in age it was from like eight to fourteen. Every single one of them hated high school musical because they did not understand why the kid.
Speaker 1: Just didn't go and do both.
Speaker 2: So that as I think a generational thing where you can just do both. But back then, that was it, right, You're a theater kid, you were.
Speaker 1: A jack kid. Yeah, that's you picked your crew and that's what you.
Speaker 4: Were right, you know.
Speaker 3: And what is crazy on the to just kind of comment on that generational situation that is happening right now is I think they're setting kids up for a little bit of failure because the reality of the world is you can't you're sometimes you know what I mean, you start spreading yourself too thin, and these kids are so overwhelmed and overstimulated that they end up having a lot of anxiety issues. That's what I've seen within different schools that allow that. At some schools, you know, you can do sports, but they have to be a fall sport, a winter sport. You know, you can't do two winter sports because it's just so hard on the kids.
Speaker 4: You know, they're over tired.
Speaker 1: You said, setting them up for failure.
Speaker 2: I would be fine with that if they actually allowed the kids to fail, because you need to learn how to lose. That's a really important thing. So you coming in ninth you don't get a trophy for striking out and then running the third. Great, but that's how it is now. So kids think they can do everything and are succeeding at everything, where you've got to learn how to lose.
Speaker 1: It's so it's way more important than learning how to win. Learning how to lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I tend to think that comes with a lot of media, Like what is it jack of all trades.
Speaker 4: Master of nothing, master of none? Right, that's like what ends up happening something?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Instead, I would rather someone be very dedicated to one or two things, not somewhat interested in and being a part of seventeen teens.
Speaker 1: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: But that was the thing about this movie is that it's it's now no longer lands with kids because kids feel like they can do everything and they're.
Speaker 3: All But do you think it is cool? That it is okay for a jock to go do the music theater. I love that it's a part of It's also good in a way of you know, everyone's included.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's also in high school.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to get into college, you want as many things on your resume as possible. Hey, wow, you were a star basketball player and on your audition for pairs. But that's that's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then during basketball practice, we learned there are only two weeks left before the big game where scouts will be so we get the very popular number in the one I still can't get out of my head. Our first upbeat tune, get your Head in the Game, which kicks off from a beat made by basketball dribbling and focuses on Troy sticky to sports. So this is him singing with his friends about how he doesn't want his friends to know he's singing. Also, zac Efron is very good at basketball, but the whole team gets involved in the singing and dancing, weaving in and out of practice, making sure you get the rebound, shoot the outside, JA, get my Head in the Game.
Speaker 1: This was your favorite one, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's just a beat man. The beat is good. It is.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's so catchy.
Speaker 3: Nobody can hear this song and say that it is not stuck in their head.
Speaker 1: This is the catchy one for me. This is the one that made me go like, oh God, get out of my head. Was this song?
Speaker 4: It lasts forever and ever agreed. Oh, and then you watch the movie again and it's right back.
Speaker 1: It's right in your head.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Gabriella continues to have issues with Sharpey, but she does start to reveal herself as a true brainiac, even correcting a teacher's equation when Sharpay finds out that she was a competitive decathlete at her old school. In hopes of keeping her way the musicale, she tips off the East High's team to recruiter, and Troy continues to be nervous about his friends and his dad finding out that he has a musical flare, but it doesn't stop the pair from sneaking into the audition separately and watching together, though they can't commit to outing themselves, him as a basketball star, her as a competitive smarty pants. And then we meet the real star of the movie, the unsung hero of the whole thing, Kelsey the piano playing composer played by Olyssa Rulin. I feel like she's actually the heart and soul of high school musical. She writes all the music and shar Pei is a real well jerk to her and so rude. I loved her and she was one of my favorite characters of the entire thing. Yes, so at the audition, Sharpei and her glitter cap brother excel with their version of the song What I've been looking for, which go back and listen to is just the theme from Full House.
Speaker 1: A what did you not notice this?
Speaker 2: No, the lyrics are different, but the music is just the theme from Full House. Go back and listen. It's the theme from No, Yes, it is. The whole time, I'm like, where do I know the song from?
Speaker 1: Where do I know?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god, it's the theme from Full houseow. But then, just when everyone leaves, Troy and Gabriella work with of course Kelsey who's the best on her version of the song and impress missus Darbis into a callback. But this exposes the two as possible musical leads, throwing Sharpey, the basketball team, and the decathletes into a thither. Don't these people know their social roles, and then that, just like we were talking about, don't they know their roles? Here comes what is another standout song and dance stick to the status quo, which is where the first time I really saw the choreography at another scale. When you've got the entire cafeteria, all the tables doing stuff. Forget about the fact I don't know if this is Sabrina Caesar or not, where no one has food in the.
Speaker 4: One No, there's not a sandwich or a bag of chips.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Vanessa walks out with the tray of food, and I thought they were all going to just stomp on her for food because they must be starving.
Speaker 1: No one has food in the entire thing.
Speaker 4: They needed those tables for danccene.
Speaker 1: Okay, well they could have still danced in had some food.
Speaker 2: But this is a cool song, a very disneyesque song, a song that is great for kids to hear. It's other kids kind of talking about exactly what their dreams are, and then friends telling them, hey, man, don't let anybody do.
Speaker 3: You see a range of different people like everyone it's just yep, it's such an amazing Disney moment, you feel.
Speaker 1: I agree, this is incredible.
Speaker 2: One basketball player admits he likes to bake a white girl on a roll, student loves hip hop popping and lock in a skater boy wants to play the cello. Huge extras dancing in the scene they fill the entire cafeteria. It's incredibly impressive and it's kind of brackets the know your role version right in this movie of what this movie is about.
Speaker 1: Is this the best scene in the movie, you think, I.
Speaker 3: I think it's definitely a very I mean, it's up there because the visual.
Speaker 1: Is just.
Speaker 4: So epic.
Speaker 3: I mean, how did they even find this incredible cafeteria that they have that was I mean, it's just.
Speaker 2: One with the two floors we saw when we were i mean talking to Jason Dolly, it's it's they this this reason they shoot at these schools in Utah and that's.
Speaker 3: School incredible, amazing, and I just it just gave for so many opportunities of like what I could see Kenny just envisioning it from the top to the bottom. Well that's nothing when I no, no page was not turned. He thought of it all.
Speaker 1: He does layers.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, there's like like at the end, there's kids on the bleachers, there's kids in the foreground, there's kids halfway up the bleachers. I mean, he's he's leveling every kind of dance. Where again, as somebody who not a fan of dance, not a fan of singing, even I noticed the complexity where it's like, damn, everybody's they're on tables and they're doing this, and they're doing right really impressively.
Speaker 4: So I don't necessarily love like the beat of that.
Speaker 3: This isn't my favorite catchy song, but the production and the schiography and the scale of this routine is just you can't not totally.
Speaker 4: I appreciate everything that went into it, and I love how it ends.
Speaker 3: Ashley Tizil just getny literated by the by this food.
Speaker 4: And her reaction is so good. She just nails this.
Speaker 1: She was very good at this.
Speaker 4: It's probably my favorite moment for her.
Speaker 1: We've got to find a way to get her on the podcast.
Speaker 4: I know, she's so fun.
Speaker 2: We'll tricker, we'll tell her it's something else we'll get, we'll tell her we're giving in her warders.
Speaker 3: Right, and she's death that kid to go back and talk about. Like her resume, she was.
Speaker 4: Probably I swear if it was a big role audition. She was at every.
Speaker 3: Single one sort I remember walking in and going, damn it, she's here against Ashley.
Speaker 4: She is unbeatable, this girl.
Speaker 2: So apparently she is pregnant right now and hopefully we're hoping to get her for High School Musical two. So, Ashley, I don't know if you're ever to hear this, but we love you and we want to talk to you, and we got to talk him possible too, because we're supposed to.
Speaker 1: Know each other.
Speaker 4: Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 2: The song ends with Gabriella accidentally pouring nachos and a very angry and Jello Sharpey and Miss Darbus busting them up, and the new fear that the basketball team and the players also want to do other things when they should be getting ready for the big game. This also creates a bit of tension between Coach Bolton and Miss Darbus, a side story that really doesn't go anywhere, but you know, it worked, and I get where they were against each other. But then the story that really worked was the main love story. Troy and Gabriella want to talk about their auditioning dilemma, so they meet on the school's roof, which is also apparently a nursery. They make the decision to fully dive into the callback and study the song all over the school while avoiding their rivals, in a bit of a montage that leads to Troy coming very late to basketball practice and his dad having a bit of a standoff with him and Gabriella.
Speaker 1: The new friend is ruining his son, and the team is.
Speaker 2: Very scared, so scared that they approach that the cathlon members and come up with a plan to make the new couple dislike each other and leave the musicale behind. Did you think that this was a plan that that would keep them from doing it? It just seemed kind of tacked on to me. It was a bit poorly planned where it was like trying.
Speaker 1: To break them up. I mean, hey, he cheated on you.
Speaker 4: Yes, this was kind of convoluted to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just kind of just I don't know, I mean, let's create some conflict.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do it better than that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it should have been.
Speaker 1: You know, it was not a great plan for me, right, I thought.
Speaker 2: The basketball team creates a little pep talk, telling Troy about all the legends in the past, wildcat teams and telling them that they need him. And on the other side of the school, the decathletes explain that jocks and actors are the worst people ever and education is the.
Speaker 1: Future of America. So the results are a little confusing.
Speaker 2: Here, Troy goes with enthusiasm so much so he calls Gabriella just some girl he met. She's not important, and singing is just away for him to calm his nerves when he gets ready to give one hundred and ten percent at the basketball game. They're also, of course filming this, and they hide the camera not at all.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw that.
Speaker 2: It's like they might as well just be holding a camera in his face like this as they film it, at least a bit circumspect of putting the camera on the thing. I herew around it, like really, hey, I'm going to try to hide that.
Speaker 1: You're yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They show the footage to Gabriella. She cries, and now she calls the audition off. She's into maths. He's a baller, and Vanessa Hudgens gets her solo song when There was Me and You, and she's walking through the hallways very distraught and singing.
Speaker 3: This was for me a good representation of showing her to when she really found herself as a musical artist. She does not look comfortable doing the movement that has been given to her, and I felt for her because I know what that feels like when you're given movement and you're like, there's a song that I have, but I just can't watch because I can just tell, like I.
Speaker 4: Really wasn't in love with what I was doing and.
Speaker 2: It felt awkward, or in the second or third one, in the second or third it's the second one, Okay, don't tell me, don't tell me if I can pick it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just you know, I felt for her because it just didn't feel and she does definitely progress and find her own way, and I'm sure I'm sure too. By the second and third movie, she was probably given a little bit more freedom to do stuff.
Speaker 4: That felt better for her.
Speaker 3: But this was hard for me to watch because she's such an incredible artist, she really is, and her voice is great, and so I could just tell that she just didn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not that she didn't commit.
Speaker 3: She didn't she fully commit, but you could tell she wasn't super comfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it also wasn't my favorite song if I'm honest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, There's just so many other great songs. This isn't the the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then, in one of the quickest movie one eighty turnarounds of all time, the basketball team finds a very sad Troy back on the nursery roof and admits to their trickery. They don't want to stop his audition with manipulation, which is still debatable. At the same time, the decathletes admit their involvement to Gabriella and now the audition might be back on, especially when Troy shows up at her house your Favorite scene to apologize over a flip phone, then shows up on her second story patio to sing at her, FYI this is his real Okay, okay, and so we hear. We get another montage. Both Troy and Gabriella are still working hard in their respective feels, but also practicing for the audition again. Kids being able to do more than one thing you both, which is honestly something I was asking if they could do.
Speaker 1: Since the start of the movie. But there's one more hurdle of jump.
Speaker 2: In Act three, Sharpey and her brother convinced miss Darbus to make the callback at the same time as the basketball game and to cathalon meet, and they do it in a really tricky way. They asked her to which she does. Literally, that's all they say. They ask her, and she's so she's in on it.
Speaker 3: I this was confusing to me as far as a teacher goes. Why to change to do a schedule change is kind of a big deal, right, yeah, you know everyone would need to be notified and whatever, And it was strangely, was she trying to sabotage?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's what it is. I think they're showing I think what they were trying to do.
Speaker 3: Well, why did she let them try out to the beginning, because her original answer at first was no.
Speaker 1: You guys must then she heard them sing, and she heard them were so.
Speaker 4: Good that she's allowing it.
Speaker 2: I think they were trying to set it up where this is why they were trying to set up the conflict between her and his dad. Okay, I think to then it's like I'm going to get back and your dad kind of. But it didn't really work, particularly when it just made her super mean. She was already a weird character, but now she's a vindictive, weird.
Speaker 4: Character and a vindictive teacher. Yes to me, that is you know what.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like the principal for a minute. Man, you know it was like it's like you just want to see we.
Speaker 7: Can't go back to him. I'm not going to cat back there. We can forward, Sabrina, You're like, we got to look forward. Yes, So it was very strange. It also seems like, why wouldn't she want to find.
Speaker 2: The two the best people who have the chemistry, who are clearly phenomenal singers.
Speaker 3: Right, Why wouldn't she want to find the best for her production that does nothing but highlight you agree, positive successful way whatever, lady, you're out of your.
Speaker 1: Mind, agreed.
Speaker 2: But the basketball team and the decathletes and even his coach Dad aren't going to let this ruin their plans. They're going to work together now to make sure Troy and Gabrielle up make the callback.
Speaker 1: It's the big day.
Speaker 2: And while the callbacks have begun with Sharpay and Ryan singing Bop to the top, did the Kathleen tack into the gym power lines and shut everything down? This is where I love all the different groups working together. You get the nerds doing something. You get the beast ball team doing something. It was great, right, So they're gonna shut everything down, giving Troy a chance to run out mid game, while also letting one of their science experiments get out of hand and evacuate the room. And not only do Troy and Gabriella make the audition, but all of the audience members from both big events pile into the theater to watch them overcome nerves and sing break and Free, which is Kelsey's newest jam. A big moon even descends from the ceiling, which makes me ask is this the show or was this just for the callback? Yeah, but it's a great audition. The crowd goes nuts and they get the part. They get the part. This is great, you got the part, kid got it. Eventually, the basketball game restarts and Troy hits the buzzer beater to win an East Hide also wins the decathlon. We know that because Gabriella runs up and just says, we won too.
Speaker 1: We don't get to see the decathlon. Everyone has a very happy ending. Yeah I am too, I am too if I'm honest.
Speaker 2: Ever, because weird tocathletes, not a lot of rhymes with that.
Speaker 1: Everyone has a happy ending.
Speaker 2: A bunch of the students pair off into possible couples, and Sharpey even Earn honestly congratulates Gabriella, even.
Speaker 1: Though she will now be her understudy.
Speaker 2: By the way, break a leg in theater means good luck, which is a little unearned of a character change. But you gotta do the Haylar Russo great match at the end of Kriti Kit. You gotta do it to save the character a little bit. Yeah, Kelsey gets a nice acknowledgment as the brain's the whole thing. Then we get the big final number with everyone, and I mean everyone. They must have brought the entire state of Utah out for the whole jim filled singing and dancing too. We're all in this together, which is a pretty iconic scene that is used for most references in the movie. It's a pop culture phenomenon and that's kind of the end. We do get a post credit scene of Sharpay and Zeke, who are now love interests. She's obsessed with the cookies. He bakes a callback to his wish he had beyond basketball and she looks at the camera, which is the first fourth wall break.
Speaker 1: There was something else that. I had a question for.
Speaker 2: All of the extras that are also dancing, also mouthing along with the song when they pre record everything, did they have five hundred people really singing the song on the track?
Speaker 1: How did that work?
Speaker 3: So normally, so what you would do is you'd get I don't know how many they did, but you just double.
Speaker 1: The voices and you get ten people, and then you keep double them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just stack stack the tracks on couple of each other. It starts to sound like there's.
Speaker 2: Because you know, like the first one they did where everybody's trying I want to bake crem brule and then the people at the table were like, don't don't tell anybody that did each of those people who seem to be extras but were singing, did they record their own track?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I doubt it. No, it was probably tempt stuff. Okay, yeah, yeah, gotcha.
Speaker 3: You know the producers that they have friends that they could pull in. You know, they've also like producers usually have demo singers, so you get you'll get you know, all these songs were demos that were submitted to Disney, and Disney picks the songs that make sense or write them and even if they're writing specifically for it, they'll have their demo, like they hire demo people to do it, So those there are probably more of like the demo singers that they know on that got paid to go ahead and do these little bits and bops.
Speaker 1: Can we do real reviews?
Speaker 4: Yes we can.
Speaker 3: This is a long review, guys, this five star, five star doing this person really really loves this movie, as so many do. You are not really a Disney person if you don't love high school musical.
Speaker 4: It's true. This is from Mela.
Speaker 3: One time in class we had to do this thing where you list your top three favorite movie characters, and I said Troy Bolton for every single spot. Then another time, our school was playing a city called Troy, and I looked at my bestie across the room in mouth Troy Bolton quote unquote. So like, everyone at my school knows I am literally in love with Troy Bolton, and so they tease me by saying, hey, Troy Bolton is behind you. And when I tell you, my head turns faster than you can say Troy Bolton.
Speaker 4: Believe me, Thank you, Mel.
Speaker 1: That's Mela.
Speaker 2: Does Mel really believe that Troy Bolton is behind her at school, not even zac Efron, It's Troy Bolton.
Speaker 4: Does she know that it's played by a guy named Zach Well.
Speaker 2: I love how she literally every time like my friends tell me that, and I turn around every time thinking this fictional character is really going to be standing behind me.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you know, I feel that in her heart it could happen, and I wish you's the best of luck.
Speaker 2: This is by far, everything about my one star review is the best thing I've ever read in my life. It's up there with Shakespeare and Chaucer. It is absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 1: Including the name.
Speaker 4: Starts with the name.
Speaker 2: So this is a one star review from Arnold the Dinosaur. And if I get loud, it's because it's in all caps. Okay, this movie is filled with lies. When this movie came out, I was so excited for high school breaking into song, the low key fire dance numbers and so on. But lo and behold, high School is nothing like that. There is no singing, no dancing, no breaking into song, and no low key fire dancing numbers. Dreams were crushed my first day when I started singing breaking Free, and I got sent to the hospital because they thought that I had some sort of illness. Needless to say, don't watch this movie and you unless you want a false perception of life.
Speaker 1: One star Arnold a dinosaur. It's brilliant, it's great.
Speaker 4: God get a grip.
Speaker 2: I love it, I love it, and it's all in capsy is filled.
Speaker 4: With parents have not done you justice.
Speaker 3: It has the idea that you would think that you would watch a movie that's how real.
Speaker 4: Life is one hundred percent going to be.
Speaker 2: You're hilarious, but mel A is okay thinking that a fictional character is behind us. Both these people need some help. We're going to play a new game this week, which I'm gonna be honest, I'm not entirely sure of. It's a feature called BAFO box Office. Since this week's episode is all about musicals, and while you are much closer than I am, neither of us are really musical experts, we will take turns guessing which musical theater productions are in the list of top ten highest grossing of all time. Wow, these are all classics. We've definitely heard of. Whoever can name the most in five chances each Wit and now producer Jensen. My question is, are these Broadway shows? Are these musical movies.
Speaker 1: What are these?
Speaker 4: We have to just spit them out.
Speaker 5: Well, they're musical productions. Yeah, you guys, they're musical plays.
Speaker 1: Okay there musical Okay, I think I've got them.
Speaker 5: Then I think I know you think about it, you'll be able to pull them. It just depends on how many of your five guesses you'll get, right, Okay, will you go.
Speaker 1: For I'll start. I'm going to start with Cats because Cats was around forever.
Speaker 5: Siously, Cats is like number thirteen does not make the top ten. Yeah, so we'll already with an X.
Speaker 1: That was it possible?
Speaker 4: Way to go.
Speaker 5: Already talking back not waiting there was like.
Speaker 4: Well I would start with Grease.
Speaker 5: Greece also not on the list. I feel like Greece not being on the list is actually that makes them the movie with the real success there.
Speaker 2: But go, okay, all right, so then my next guest is going to be wait, I get another guess.
Speaker 5: Yep, Hamilton. Hamilton is number four. That's your first?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 5: That one?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I almost guess something that's not even a movie.
Speaker 5: This is like it runs out to people here, I'm a white person, and then you can't come up with it.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 5: Her spray is not on the list.
Speaker 4: You're kidding me right now, this is this is not true.
Speaker 1: I don't believe it.
Speaker 5: Jack List. You'll hear the list.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay. My next guest then, is going to be Phantom of the Opera.
Speaker 5: Phantom of the Opera is number three, So Willows two sho, Sabrina, you gotta hit these, let's go.
Speaker 4: I cannot think of anything right now.
Speaker 5: This is the name of white person game.
Speaker 4: This is so hard.
Speaker 1: I got another one. I got another one. I've got two more.
Speaker 5: I mean, we'll can lock it down with two more. And he knows he's got him.
Speaker 1: Right when I say this to sabrinas can be like.
Speaker 5: Damn it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold on, no, I've got nothing.
Speaker 5: Name a white person, Sabriana.
Speaker 7: Okay, Jim Garrey.
Speaker 1: My my next guess is going to be Wicked.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say Wicked, but it's not a movie.
Speaker 5: It does not a movie. Oh, Wicked.
Speaker 1: Okay, Wicked's number two.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, I was gonna say Wicked before you can you can redeem yourself here, So just Chicago.
Speaker 5: Chicago's number six.
Speaker 1: Oh what.
Speaker 5: Number six? All right? Will you you've already conquered this purely based on super and not fully understanding.
Speaker 1: It was just probably, which works well for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this is one more to lock it down.
Speaker 4: I've got I've got one.
Speaker 5: One to lock it down to be Rent Rent actually not in the top ten, but I think it's because it wasn't like a very expensive ticket. Really, you can make it close at least with this last one. Lion King Lyon King is number one. Okay, prove she would have been much better. But the list goes yes, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Hamilton, Book of Mormon, Iago, Aladdin, Mama Mia, Jersey Boys Lay Miss Mamma Mia.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Wait what was the last one?
Speaker 1: La Miss Lay Miss miss Kay. Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, well well well.
Speaker 1: Bye, thank you, producer Jensen.
Speaker 2: I know far more about musical theater than I thought for somebody who doesn't like people who are just breaking the song strange, Oh man, is it.
Speaker 1: Possible that we could do so?
Speaker 2: Sees see, I'm breaking a song for no reasons.
Speaker 3: Okay, so right from the start I'm watching it again. I loved watching this now because we've seen especially Zach and Vanessa just just flourish, right, and they just so it was so fun to see them in something when they were so young and you know, fresh, fresh face and everything. So I had a question of in my head as soon as they did their first little duet. First of all, didn't you think when they were I thought they were going to kiss. I'm like, we're going to get a duet and a kiss right from the start.
Speaker 4: They didn't.
Speaker 3: Kissing right away happened to us so quickly. Oh my gosh, it was so funny. But I wondered how much for that little scene. Obviously they weren't going to need to rehearse that one very often, right, it was an easy, easy go.
Speaker 4: I wondered how much.
Speaker 3: Kenny had to give Zach because Zach was moving really well.
Speaker 1: And he takes his coat off, and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I wanted to I was wondering I'd love again.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I would love to talk to Zach and Vanessa about the filming of this movie to see how much.
Speaker 1: Well you got to put a call into Kenny and get him on our podcast.
Speaker 3: I tried to reach out to Kenny too, and we haven't heard back yet. We will get Kenny. We will have to, Yes, we have to. And then I just had to write it down that giant Matt Hatter hat that was Solisippi.
Speaker 1: There was some strange hat choices in this entire movie.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me why the band at the end are all dressed like the Guardian Angels. Just everybody's in your red berets just wait to fight crime.
Speaker 3: And you did touch on my other My next thing was the cell phones in this movie really took you back. I had a pink sidekick that Sharpay has where it like flips up, flips down, flips up. I mean, if you talk to anyone that knew the Cheetah Girls while we were doing these movies, we were all about our sidekicks. So that took me back to a really good moment of the sidekicks. They were so fun and wow, they got to bring those back because those are so fun.
Speaker 1: They should loved it.
Speaker 3: And then the only other thing, like I said, I loved this movie. The only other thing was these random ass lights that they put in front of Gabriella's house, Like just the string of Christmas lights just on the pillars, so random, so not needed. House was cute, didn't need. Just someone need to do that, just throw up some lights.
Speaker 4: So that was it.
Speaker 3: Other than that everything was great. Loved it, love, love, love this movie.
Speaker 2: So that's it, Okay, and now's the time where we are going to rate this film one being bad, ten being amazing. Our options this week we're going to do one out of ten, drama teacher love seats, one out of ten, zach Efron dubbed singing voices, one out of ten, flip phones one out of ten, quick homeroom classes one and a ten sharpay brother Fedoras, or one out of ten fourth wall breaking end credit scenes. I'm also gonna add one out of ten. You want to hide the fact that you want to be a singer by singing with all your friends about it? So what do you want to use?
Speaker 4: Rina? You picked this week? I feel like I picked last.
Speaker 1: I'm picking this week. I'm gonna pick quick homeroom classes.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've how to change it to ridiculously quick home room classes.
Speaker 1: And I think, do I pick first? Do I go first? This week?
Speaker 4: You go first?
Speaker 2: All right, I'll go first this week. If I wasn't able to get out of my own way, I would not have rated this movie particularly high.
Speaker 1: This would have been a four or five for me. What are they thinking? What's going on.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it getting out of my own way and just sitting back and enjoying it and also realizing that it's genesis of these movies. What this ended up doing, the cast they put in there, the amount of choreography that went in the direction.
Speaker 1: I am giving this movie a solid nine. Wow it is.
Speaker 4: That's gotta be your besides the.
Speaker 1: Going to the Matt and color of Friends to the.
Speaker 4: Matt and Color of French. And it's your highest rating.
Speaker 2: It is because the cast is, like I said, the cast is phenomenal. Yes, I am not. I will never be a musical guy. I just don't like when people know. So I have to get out of my own way and realize what this movie is and for what this movie is, it's a great version of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I'm going to give this movie a nine. I really am.
Speaker 2: It started a billion dollar franchise and I can understand, so I'm giving it nine.
Speaker 1: Ridiculously quick homeroom classes.
Speaker 4: I'm going to match your nine.
Speaker 3: I honestly do not remember the second or third movies. I just know there's a pool in the second one, so I know that it gets better even you know what I mean? That the that it goes bigger and better every time. So I'm gonna go with the nine because I know we're in for some really great musical in the future. Nine quick homeroom classes.
Speaker 1: All that is amazing, Thank you, folks.
Speaker 2: And this week we can't believe it either, but we're talking more about high school musical with Chad.
Speaker 1: Himself Corbyn Blue.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll be interview on our dedicated magical rewind feed. To make sure to follow us there in the meantime, here's a small snippet of that time.
Speaker 8: The audition price for musical came about because of Hannah Montana.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was how that all began because I I.
Speaker 8: Auditioned for Anna Montana booked that I was Miley's first love interest in the in the pilot episode get Out. Yeah that was That was that and then that of course that that began the relationship with Judy Taylor.
Speaker 5: In to read for for high School Musical.
Speaker 2: And that'll be on our magical rewind feed this week. It was so much fun to talk to him. Don't miss out. Well, there you go, everybody, high school Musical.
Speaker 1: We did it. I liked it. I had to get out of my own way when I enjoyed it, I know.
Speaker 2: Our next movie is the weirdly titled twenty eleven musical Lemonade Mouth.
Speaker 3: I had no idea what hell, but we have gotten and we proved to you guys that we hear you, We see your comments, we listen.
Speaker 4: We're watching it and doing to rewatch the Lemonade Mouth.
Speaker 2: It's on Disney Plus as well, So go and get it for whatever the hell that's gonna be. And remember to subscribe to our feed and you could follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. Thank you for johning us and breaking in the song for no reason. Bye everybody, Bye m