Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to light this video, subscribe to our YouTube channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. Later in the show, we are going to get into some potential trade targets, really one specific trade target that we're going to focus on. But first we are going to talk about this weekend series between the Diamondbacks and the Milwaukee Brewers. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack The narrative continues the Diamondbacks holding their own against the lesser teams in the league. Of course, they took two out of three from the San Francisco Giants, and then they come right back and they lose a series to the Milwaukee Brewers. They are now fourteen and thirty three this season against teams that are five hundred or better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no moral victories. I mean, you know, you can say they hung with them. The games were close. They very well could have won the series. Some might even say they could have swept the series. But the fact is that they lost two out of three and it just looked and felt like the Brewers were much better equipped to handle close games, and that clearly was the case.
Speaker 1: The finale was a close one, as all of these games were. At Wardo Rodriguez was excellent. Newly minted All Star at Vardo Rodriguez was very good once again. He was through six scoreless innings and then Tory Lavello believe he was at ninety three pitches. Tory decides to send him back out there for the seventh and unfortunately that did not work out. Andrew Vaughan let off that inning with a single, and then e rod just dropped a curveball middle middle and Jake Bowers hit a pretty impressive left on left to run. Homer turned what was a one to nothing Diamondbacks lead into a two to one deficit. But ultimately, Jack, I mean, this loss falls on the offense. You cannot blame this on Eduardo Rodriguez. It was still six plus innings of two run ball from him. The Diamondbacks just weren't able to do enough and offensively, and man, they had a whole lot of chances throughout this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean early in the game they weren't having great at bats. They were I think one for eight in runners and scoring position through the first three innings. They ended up, you know, two for thirteen in this game, I believe. As the game wore on, of course, there were a ton of hard hit balls. The six hardest balls that the Diamondbacks hit in the game all went for outs. That included one hundred and seventeen mile an hour line drive by ktel Marte and of course one hundred and seven mile an hour line out double play off the bat of Peven Smith, who did a two handed chuck of the bat. He was as disgusted as many of you have been with the results that he's been giving, but in that case he had a little bit of bad luck. He did have a base hit earlier in the game, but very disappointing game overall. When it comes to the results of some of the hard hit balls. There were a couple of deep fly balls to the outfield that went almost three hundred ninety feet just you know, warning track fly balls. A couple of hard hit ground balls as well, so you know, when you hit the ball six times over one hundred miles an hour, you kind of expect at least a couple of those to fall for hits. So for none of them too. That was a little bit of bad luck.
Speaker 3: Definitely some bad luck, to be sure.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks expected batting average in the game was two ninety two. That ended with seven hits, could easily have had eight or nine or ten if some of those hard hit balls land land in as you would expect them to. At the same time, Jacket still felt like the d Backs could have done more with runners in scoring position in this game.
Speaker 3: It felt like they.
Speaker 1: Were making the hard contact oftentimes nobody on base, and then when there were guys on base, that's when the bat quality was a little bit less. In the bottom of the first inning, the d Backs scored a run, but then they were unable to get anything else across with a runner at second one out. There were several other situations like that throughout the game. The bottom of the third also stands out there. Heraldo Perdomo led off that ending with a single and stole second, and then you've got the middle of the lineup do up. After that, Corbyn Carroll struck out, Gabby Mourno struck out, Lords Guriel then drew a walk, and then Ildemar of Vargas just an immediate first pitch ground out. To get the Brewers out of that jam. So even though there was some bad luck in this game, Jack, there also was a continuation of a recent trend, which was the Diamondbacks just not putting good at bats together when they really needed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and the seventh inning, you know, they did get a run across, but Gabriel Marino came up and very nearly hit into another double play. We'll get to the first one in a little bit, but he almost hit into another double play in this series, you know. And then that at bat, I mean, he took two pitches in the heart of the zone for cold strikes, and then he got another sinker, and now he's you know, with two strikes on him. He's got a swing and it was a strike. It would have been a strike cold strike three, but it was a pitch you know, a little down in the zone. Uh. And of course he ended up, you know, hitting it too shortstop. So I don't know why they're not pulling the trigger early in counts when the balls dead center. That's the biggest problem really is, you know, there's just too many center cut pitches that they're not swinging at, and that puts them down in the count because they're easy cold strikes, and then they're forced to protect and now they're swinging at pitches and the shadows one and contact isn't as good. You know, I've said this before and I'll say it again. I mean, they got to go back to old school philosophy here, Like Mark Grace used to always say, with zero strikes on you, your strike zone should be the size of a shoe box. Okay, after you get a strike on you, then you can start to expand that. But if you're if you have zero strikes against you, oh oh one, O, two oh three, to oho your shoe Your shoebox size strike zone is the way to go. And if it's in that heart of the zone, go ahead and take your cut. For some reason, they remain the lowest swinging team on pitches in the heart of the zone. I do not know why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is a very fair point. And throughout this series, another narrative for the offense was struggling against the bullpen. In particular, the Diamondbacks did get into the Brewers bullpen very early in all three games of these series. Granted, the second game was really just because of an unfortunate injury on Brandon Woodruff's part, exact same story is what happened the last time he faced the Diamondbacks. Sad, sad to see him go on the il again. But the Diamondbacks, you know, they made Brandon sprote throw ninety two pitches in those front four innings.
Speaker 3: In this game.
Speaker 1: They had back quality was pretty good against Brandon's broke. Granted, he also was spraying the ball around, and I think some of those pitches were pretty easy takes. But you know, the moment the Brewers bullpen enters the game, it just feels like the Diamondbacks are are losing that approach. And you know, you see Grant Anderson come out and get five outs on sixteen pitches. And that was sort of a trend throughout this series, Jack, where the Brewers bullpen covered seventeen and two thirds innings in this series altogether, almost six innings per game on average, And the Diamondbacks only saw two hundred and twenty one pitches in those seventeen and two thirds innings. And I know that is maybe hard to make sense of in your mind, but if you do the math, that's an average of twelve point five pitches per inning, and it was actually quite a bit higher on Sunday than it was in the first two games. That number went up in the finale of this series. So it's not just a matter of, you know, the Diamondbacks needing to have better at bats overall, which is certainly true. But yeah, I mean, you you just have to like when you know that the opposing team is getting into their bullpen early and might run out of arms, that just means all the more that you want to be patient and really work counts.
Speaker 2: I think maybe part of it is they're thinking, Okay, we got the starter out of the game, I'm not too worried about the relievers workload. You know, now's the time to be more aggressive, right because you're not generally worried about that particular issue of how long you're going to extend it. But in this case, you know, they should have been a little bit more cognitive. I mean, Patrick, would do you go three in the thirds or three and two thirds? Only use thirty something pitches?
Speaker 3: Something like that?
Speaker 2: You know, in his out in the first game and then yoho, who I always want to call you who? I think he got you know, eight outs on twenty seven pitches. Something like that. So, yeah, that's that's pretty much what you're talking about there, I mean, essentially, you know the Brewers' bullpen thromatos there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was the Friday game the Brewers bullpen. That game, of course, went to extra innings, and the Brewers bullpen needed just ninety pitches to get through eight and the third innings in that game, of course, they did not allow and earned run the entire way. And that is a good segue into the first couple games of this series.
Speaker 3: We're not going to.
Speaker 1: Dwell on them too much. We've got some other stuff to get into in the show. But we will talk about games one and two of this series against the Brewers. But first we're gonna hit a break here on Snakes territory, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: It will be back right after this.
Speaker 4: Look in summertime, it's cool in the morning, hot during the day, cool again at night. Rarely am I sitting there going, Oh, I'm just gonna do one thing at a time. I'm bouncing from work, I'm bouncing in the yard, I'm running to a game. Fabletics has got me with price, comfort and versatility. With all the gear that I'm getting from them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're talking about premium activewear you'd expect from higher end brands, but without the price tag. Lightweight, breathable, comfortable, built to actually last. And if you're going to Fabletics, you should be joining as a VIP, which completely changes the game. You can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snakes Territory once again. It really helps us out if you would drop alike on this video and subscribe to our channel here on YouTube. Hit the bell icon for notification so that you never miss an episode of the show. And if you want a cool hat like the one that Jack is wearing, you can get one over at Snake's Territory shop dot com, so be sure to check that out. We have hats, t shirts, hoodies, coffee mugs, pretty much outy accessory you can possibly imagine is there. So thank you all for your support. We really really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: I guess we'll start with, well, we'll turn back the clock. We'll go back to the Friday game, which does feel like a distant memory. And you know, to the audience member who maybe doesn't want to relive this game, I hear you. I understand. We won't spend two too much time here. But there were some interesting moments along the way. This was quite a baseball game on Friday night on Apple TV plus. Diamondbacks fall behind three nothing early. Jose Cabrera was just spraying the ball all over the place in that game.
Speaker 3: Did not look good.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks come back to I guess before they scored any runs. Lordis Gurriel Junior prevented that game from getting completely out of hand and robbed a three run home run, one of the best catches we've seen by a Diamondbacks player this season. If he doesn't catch that, it's six nothing Brewers and maybe the game isn't very interesting the.
Speaker 3: Rest of the way.
Speaker 1: But Guriel makes that catch, the d Backs are able to get on the board and put three runs up, and then the thing happens we were talking about earlier, where Kyle Harrison is no longer in the game, the Brewers' bullpen is out there doing their thing, and there just seeing like no pitches whatsoever, and the game is flying by, and eventually we go to extra innings in a three to three tie, and the big decision that everyone's been talking about in the aftermath came in the bottom of the tenth. Heraldo Perdomo is the ghost runner on second base. This, of course is after Taylor Clark has already put up a zero in the top of the tenth, given the Dbacks a good chance to win this game. So Perdomo's at second, Corbyn Carrol is intentionally walked, and then Gabrielle Moreno is at the plate. So you've got first and second and nobody out. And Jack, I know you feel pretty passionately about what the Diamondbacks should have done. Next.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if it's what they should have done, but it's what they should have been able to do. If that's the Brewers, we know exactly what they're going to do. They're going to bunt. There's no question that they're going to bun. Christian Yelich bunted today. Gabriel Marino does not have a regular season but in his major league career. I didn't realize it at the time when I posted on Twitter. He did have one in the World Series of All Places in twenty twenty three, but he's never had a sacrifice bunt in his major league regular season career. So my first question is, like, why not, Like why does he not possess that skill? The way Gabby hits the ball, he hits a lot of ground balls, you know, and he has hit into a lot of double plays in his career. He's got a high DP percentage, which is the percentage of opportunities to hit into a double play. A little it was a little lower than MLB average this year, but for his career it's well above average. And he's a DP risk clearly, and he's been hitting into a number of them lately, even amongst his hot streak. So I didn't feel comfortable with it. I thought they should have bunted. All you need is one run you get you know, you get second and third with one out, first base open. Now you've got lordis up. Everyone says, well, you know, Lord has popped out anyway, after Gabby hit into the double play. But it's a diffinite bat if it's second and third. First of all, now the pitcher's got to run on third base and he can't afford to spike one, and so the you know, oh well you just got to hit Lords down. And the way he's going to swing, well, I don't know if all you need to do is get the ball in the air. I think, you know, Lord has probably take a picture too there. I mean, you know, he's going to have a little bit different approach and he's probably not going to be so prone to swing out of the zone in that situation, knowing that all he needs to do is wait for a ball up and hit it in the air, you know, And if he doesn't get one, he takes his base, goes to first base and bases loaded with one out, and you move it on to the next h So the flip side of that is Gaby hasn't bunted. He's probably not a good bunter. Maybe he hits into a double play when he bunts. He had been hot of late, and he had good numbers with running scoring position overall, So you know, there's two sides of this. Coin. I know you can go either way, but I go back to what I said earlier in the show about the Diamondbacks not being well equipped to win this kind of game in this kind of series while the Brewers are, And that's what really kind of stuck in my crawl. Just felt like they're not equipped to win this game.
Speaker 1: So you feel that Gabby Moreno and any Diamondbacks hitter effectively should be capable of putting a bunt down there, like that should be a button that Tory Lavello is able to press.
Speaker 2: Christian Yelich can bunt. Why can't Gabby Moreno.
Speaker 1: I mean, Yelich is not the hittery Like, he's basically been around the league average hitter this year and it was a left on left matchup today. But I you know, I see where you're coming from. Certainly, this is something the Brewers are known for. And if Gabby Moreno played for the Brewers, it wouldn't shock me. If you know he's he's getting more reps bunting and getting used to that thing.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, if Gaby Mourno played for Pat Murphy yeah, and didn't put a bunt down there could be yanked out of the lineup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that that very well may be true.
Speaker 1: I think the and granted, like Gabby Moreno did ground into a double play, and so I understand I'm sort of on the inherently losing side of the argument because hindsight is twenty twenty and obviously Gabby Moreno should have bunted. From that standpoint, it didn't work out the way that they went. But I had a hard time criticizing Tory Leavello for that decision. I think that, you know, yes, the Brewers maybe would be more equipped to win that game, But I also think the guy hitting fifth for the Brewers is a much better hitter than lordus Curyle Junior is.
Speaker 3: Right now, I just don't.
Speaker 1: I just don't think that anything Lordis has shown this season, you know, means that he's a guy who is someone you can count on with a with a runner at third and less than two outs to get the job done. Lordis is not hitting. His hard hit rate is low, his pop up rate is much higher than it's been in the past.
Speaker 2: Time a medium fly ball wins the game, he's just got to get the ball in the.
Speaker 3: Air, That's true.
Speaker 1: It's just the back quality from Lordis Curyle Junior of late is such that even hitting a medium quality fly ball doesn't feel like a given to me. So I hear, I hear your perspective. I think you know, I think it's valid.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't feel super passionately either way, but at least for me, it was hard to criticize the decision, and unfortunately it didn't wind up working for the Dbacks.
Speaker 2: I'm not criticizing Toy so much because of the fact that Gabby's never bunted for sack sack, doesn't have a sack butt in his career, so he's got to be thinking about that, like he's never bunted. Look, there's a there's a bunt club, you know that we jokingly call it in the press box and every you know, the six or eight players that are out there on the field with Jeff Banister before every game, and it's the same eight guys, and it's like nobody else is allowed to bunt. Yeah, And I just don't think that's right. I think that that should be whoe of a rotation. I think they all should be taking that practice, and I think they all should have the ability to get a bunt down when it's needed, and so Tory not calling on Gabby to bunt there I understand simply on the basis of Gabby never bunts he probably wouldn't execute. So I go back to what I said at the beginning, It's like, why aren't they built this way? This isn't a team that's going to slug their way into the playoffs and back to the World Series. They've got to play like the Brewers, they got to play like the Rays or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see where you're coming from. For sure.
Speaker 1: I just think that Gabrielle Moreno has a you know for something on base percentage the past twenty or thirty games. He's been the team's best hitter for a while now, and I think he deserves a shot in that moment. I just think taking the bat out of his hands and giving it to Lords Gurriel Junior, who by all accounts this season is graded out as one of the worst hitters in baseball. Yes, he doesn't need he doesn't need to base it. You know, a fly ball gets the job done. But it feels like a lot to ask from him, as unfortunate as that is. So let us know what you think in the comments. It is sort of a moot point now because the Dbacks lost the game anyway. Ryan Thompson had some ventures on the mound, shall we say, in the next inning. D Backs ultimately lose that one, seven to four. But it was quite a baseball game to watch. That is something we can say for sure. Game two of the series, Jack was the of course, the one game the Diamondbacks won. And I'll just throw this on the screen to start off this conversation. This is from at MLB underscore simulator on Twitter and about this Saturday game. They declare that the d Backs are luck merchants and according to their calculations, they're using batted ball data, a whole lot of data from the game, and they determined that the Brewers deserved had a ninety four percent deserve to win rate compared to the Diamondbacks at two percent. According to their calculations, the most likely final score for that game was five to one in favor of Milwaukee, and yet the Diamondbacks ultimately came away with a four to three win.
Speaker 3: That is kind of how it felt watching this game. Jack.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks had nineteen consecutive hitters retired in the middle innings of course covering most of the game, but Adrian del Castillo hit a really big three run home run in the first inning and Yieldamara Vargas tacked on a key insurance run late with an RBI double. D Bacs just barely sneak out of there.
Speaker 2: With a win. Yeah, of course, Paul gave up a home run with two outs to you know, get away with the took a four to two lead to a four to three lead still recorded to save you know, they look, they were out hit twelve to four. So that's an easier way to say, like they were lucky to win, but that deserved to win. O meters. Just kind of a fun little thing. And you know, the last thing I'll say about this series. I mean, you know, for the whole series, the Diamondbacks were six for twenty nine with runnerchan scoring position, three for twelve, one for four, and two for thirteen. Meanwhile, the Brewers on Friday were three for eighteen. They were one for ten on Saturday and then one for five today, so five for thirty three. So you know, do you want to credit the pitchers for getting the tough outs and getting it done, or do you want to blame the hitters, but neither team actually did very well situationally at the plate.
Speaker 3: No, certainly not.
Speaker 1: And I think the Diamondbacks, you know, they do deserve some credit for that. Their pitchers were able to bear down for the most part when they needed to. Merrill Kelly, I guess it's worth mentioning Jack. He did look better in that game on Saturday. He generated some swing and miss. I think it was thirteen whiffs for him.
Speaker 3: In that game.
Speaker 1: He had six strikeouts with tie to a season high. Still gave up eight hits in two walks. There was kind of a lot of traffic on the base runners, but it was good to see him bear down in those key moments and get the outs he needed, as opposed to, you know, just kind of fold and give in, which is what we've seen most of this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he had a good curve, bull, he had a good change up. You know. It's like nice to see Meryl getting swinging and miss on the change up again too. Yeah, I mean it seems like they've been forever. Like what I was his best pitch, you know what happened to it? So more please you know, I mean, look, probably five innings, two runs allowed, is probably going to have to be like what we're going to have to accept going forward for a good outing from Merrill. I don't think we're going to see a very high percentage of quality starts from him going forward. I just think that the deeper he gets into games, teams are kind of keying in on him, and that's probably likely to continue. So we'll see. I mean, you know, maybe maybe I'm wrong on that, maybe the big turnarounds coming. I think he'll be serviceable at least half the time, but not necessarily you know, lights out. I think those you know, that complete game was kind of one off. I think I don't expect to see that again, but I could be very wrong. I mean, maybe this was the turn the corner moment. He did seem to you know, his postgame comments. I mean, he really seemed like he did have some kind of an epiphany after the previous outing and you know, had a big change in approach and adjustment and attacking the zone. So fingers crossed, that is really a turnaround, but we're going to have to see more of it to believe it.
Speaker 1: The big thing I'm watching with Merrill Kelly is just what percentage of his pitches are in the strike zone. I just think that's a really important thing for him, and it still was on the lower end in that game yesterday. Forty five percent of his pitches were in the zone. League averages around forty eight, and for Marrow, you probably want him to be maybe even a little bit north of that if anything. So really it just felt like the cutter, he just sprayed the cutter around a little bit too much some uncompetitive pitches there.
Speaker 3: I think if he's able to.
Speaker 1: Subtract some of those uncompetitive pitches and fill up the zone a little more and couple that with the swing and miss that we saw on the change up in the curveball, I think there still could be a decent version of Merrill Kelly out there. The velocity was up in this game, as fastball average ninety three point four. Everything was up across the board. So it still doesn't feel like it's a huge stuff drop off. It's just a matter of getting his command to be on par with what it's been in recent seasons, and granted that's not an easy thing to do. I mean, Meryl Kelly at his best has some of the best command that we see in all of baseball, So still still yeah, you want to see more from Meryl more of this. Moving forward, a couple of news items before we get into some fun trade deadline speculation. The Diamondbacks did make a roster move prior to Sunday's Game Jack. They optioned the Lou James Groover down to trip Ballet. They recalled Tim Tawa. Tawa of course went on to start that Sunday game Jack. What were your initial thoughts on this move?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I mean it goes back to the fact that Lou James Gruber had had gone four for twelve with two doubles, in, a homer and three walks over you know, fifteen plate appearances, okay, and then he hit that homer on the twenty fourth. The next day he was out of the lineup, but they it was rained out. He didn't play the next day. He played on the twenty seventh, went over three, and then didn't play again until Saturday when he went over two. Then he was lifted mid game. So he got five plate appearances from the twenty fifth of June and July fourth, right, So that's nine days, five plate appearances in nine days. And I meanwhile, at the same time. I think Peven started in five games and got eighteen or nineteen played appearances. And yes, I understand they're not facing left handed pitching very much. You know, it's almost all right handers. But Peven hasn't been doing anything for a long time. We've talked about this at nauseum, you know, and certainly they could have gotten at least two more starts for Groover in their you know, platoon matchup. Be damned. I'm not saying that they should have completely bench Peven. Maybe they should have, I don't know, but how hard could it have been to not completely ice Krouver? You know, so that bothers me. I mean like there was no need to actually ice him that badly. I mean, he could have at least had six or eight more at bats in that nine day period. There was no need to complete run away from him. Now, you know, they can say, okay, well we send him back to Triple A so that he can play every day, but you know, he needed to play here or so you see what you got. We don't know what we got. His APT beets look better. You know. It wasn't just that he had the three for twelve with the two doubles and a homer. He also took three walks in there. Some of those apt beats look pretty good, so you know, and then they just completely shut him down. And meanwhile, Peven just keeps getting more and more opportunities and he's never the one to be let go. And I understand as well or better than everybody, the finality of DFA, but it's really to the detriment of the team here. And I don't know, maybe he hasn't been striking out too much, although he struck out twice today. Peven, you know, did have a hit, and he did have that hardline drive. Maybe they're seeing something improved quality of at bat and something esoteric. I don't know. Results Tory keeps talking about king of the court and playing the hot hand, you know, but the one hot hand he was starting to develop there and Groover he iced him.
Speaker 3: I think that's all very fair.
Speaker 1: Groover did do some things really well when he was up at the big league level. He really didn't chase out of his zone much. His chase rate was really low. He didn't swing and miss much. His strikeout and walk grates were good. Like many d BACS hitters, the quality of contact wasn't great. His expected batting average was still just two fifteen there, but yeah, he was doing some things well, and I'm right there with you. That felt like you should have been able to find him a game here there, just to at least give him a chance. And sure, you know, if he has a couple games where he goes oh for four, then maybe you would rather just send him down at least through the All Star break and let him play every day the rest of the way. D Backs, as you mentioned, are getting all right handed pitchers. It looks like between now and in the All Star break, so you could understand that to an extent, but it does feel incomplete with Groover having just the fifty four played appearances big leagues and now back on his way to Triple A. So yeah, a bit of a surprising move there for the Diamondbacks, but that is the one that they made. We're gonna get into some fun read Debtmer's talk here on Snake's Territory, but first it is time for our daily Dinger segment. Well, Snake's Territory is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and Fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers.
Speaker 3: Joining the action is easy. Just make your free.
Speaker 1: Pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. Jack, who you got in this Padres series to hit a home run for the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: Well, Walker Bueller is a ground ball pitcher. Totell Martell has five homers against groundble pitchers. Maybe his home run hot streak is over. But if you want a safe bet, I would go with Katel. If you want to go with a long shot, Nolan Arnado hit two home runs in his career against Walker Bueler, but those are back in twenty nineteen. But he just had a day off on Sunday. He just barely missed a home run on Saturday. So maybe you know the day off has rejuvenated him. And so if you're looking for a little bit more of a longer shot, that Nolan Aronado might be a good call for you.
Speaker 1: Corbyn Carrol has looked pretty rough lately for the Diamondbacks. There's there's no getting around that. But I am going to say Corbyn. Nonetheless, the Diamondbacks are getting Gryffin Canning in the finale of that Padre series, and yeah, Gryffin Canning as a six point seven to one. It's been one of the worst right handed pitchers in baseball this season, and it just feels like at some point Corbyn is gonna find his way again. And Canning is a guy who doesn't have the big velocity that it feels like Corbyn has really dealt with a lot lately, especially in that Brewer series, and so yeah, seems like a good right handed pitcher for Corbin to kind of get back on track against. So we'll see if he's able to able to do that. Diamondbacks. While we're talking Padres series here, it's a four game set, it obviously is very very important for them as we wind down heading to the All Star Break. The pitching matchups for the series, it looks like it will be Brandon Fodd and Walker Bueler on Monday, Zach Gallon going against potentially Johnny Brido for the Padres on Tuesday. He's not listed on MLB, but that is what roster resource has Johnny Brido is down in Triple A for the Padres right now, could be called up there. Wednesday game is Jose Cabrera who's getting another shot after his rough one against Milwaukee. He'll be opposed by Michael King. Tough matchup for the de Bas there, and then it's Merril Kelly against Griffin Canning in the finale of the series. So dad's where the Dbacks have ahead? Uh those there are are picks for who might potentially go yard in that series. Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler, no purchase.
Speaker 2: Just something I want to say real quick about that Padre series. Yeah. On May twenty eight, if you look ahead to this series, you would think, boy, this is going to be huge. Both teams were thirty one and twenty four, so they were tied, and the d Backs at that point had a playoff odds at Fangrafts of fifty four percent and the Padres at thirty five percent because they projected better. And you know if you fast forward to July fifth and see if they updated. So Diamondbacks are forty four and forty five, the Padres are forty three and forty five. The d Backs have a fifteen percent chance to make the playoffs and the Padres have a ten percent chance to make the playoffs. And that's all I got to say about that.
Speaker 1: Padres are desperate to get a win. They've lost eight in a row. They are facing the Dodgers as they record right now, see if they're able to get back in the win column in that game. But yes, the Diamondbacks, their fate at the trade deadline is still very much to be determined. So today we are going to focus our trade speculation on a player that could make make sense for the Diamondbacks regardless of whether they buy or sell, and that is Los Angeles Angels left hander Reed Debtmers. Here are Debtmers numbers for the twenty twenty six season, one hundred and four and two thirds innings. A four to one three r A one to one one whip. Strikeout rate is impressive at twenty seven point one percent. Walk rate is below league average for the first time in his career, I believe, at seven point nine percent. The peripherals here are pretty good. A three point zero eight FIP, a three seven six x FIP in a three to one eight expected er.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: On MLB Network earlier today, John Hayman said that Debtmers is quote really coveted around the league, or that he expects him to be a hot commodity at the trade deadline. Of course, there are no assurances that the Angels will actually be willing to trade him. That is one of the big variables here. Deptmers is under team control through twenty twenty eight, so this is a starting pitcher that you'd have not only for the rest of this season, but two seasons after that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact that he's you know, still in his just his first arbitration year, he's only making two point six million dollars. You know, he's striking out a lot of batters. He's throwing strikes, you know, and it's interesting to just kind of look at his pedigree a little bit. You know. Deptmers was a tenth overall pick by the Angels in twenty twenty out of Louisville, and nobody above him. Actually, you know, has more Baseball Reference WAR from that draft. He's got five to seven. Garrett Crochet was the eleventh pick and he's got eleven plus WAR. The d Backs took Bryce Jarvis eighteenth overall in that first round of twenty twenty. He's got one point one b WAR and is laboring down in triple A reno. So you know, it's it's kind of interesting to look at his history. He was moved to the bullpen after a disastrous twenty twenty four in the rotation with a six plus ERA. He ended up in the bullpen in twenty five. I think he pitched over sixty games or something like that, and he had a pretty good year. But back in the rotation this year and he's having a career year. So that puts the Angels in a good cell position with regards to hey, I've got this young, controllable pitcher. He doesn't cost a lot of money. You know, he averages about ninety four miles on his fastball. He actually had the proverbial uptick last year. He was like at ninety five point eight as a reliever. So it's not a loss of velocity though, because he actually has been around ninety four average through most of his career as a starter. So a lot of interesting things about Red Detmer is the question, of course becomes what would he cost? And that's a tricky, wicked or however that phrase goes.
Speaker 3: I think the short answer is a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, any anytime you're talking about a starting pitcher with two plus years of control. Deptmers is only twenty six years old, which is part of what makes him so attractive. Yeah, there's I mean, this is the type of asset that every single team in baseball would would want to have. And part of the reason we're bringing his name up is that David Schoenfield over at ESPN mentioned dept Meers as a trade target for the Diamondbacks alongside several other teams. He mentioned the Cardinals, the Athletics as well the Nationals. I think we're also in there. So the Deptmers is the kind of picture that basically any team would would want, and that means the price, if you're the Diamondbacks, would be high. You're you're probably talking jack about one of the team's top position player prospects, a Dimitrio Crossantis, Ryan Waldschmidt. I'm I'm what intrigued how teams would value Jordan Lawler. I imagine not as highly as those other two guys, because Lawler just so clearly has struggled with injuries.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so maybe it's.
Speaker 1: A Demetrio Crossantes plus a couple of pitchers, you know, David Hageman and Mitch Bratt, something like that, a picture who's pretty close a picture and Bratt, who of course has now touched the big league level. A package of something like those three guys that probably gets the conversation going. I'm not totally convinced though, that that's enough for the Angels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the fact that a lot of other teams are going to be in on him, and the fact that he's a controllable starting pitcher. You know, I know that people that love prospects are going to, you know, just completely bulk at the concept of giving up some of the top rated prospects that the team has. But you know, the reality is this, if you want a young starting picture with that strikes out more than ten per nine and is having a good year and has two and a half year's remaining of control, it's going to cost you if that, you know, But the DBAX needs somebody like that. I mean, Michael Soroka is probably going to be gone in free agency. Of course, Zach Gallon's going to be gone. We don't know if Corvin Burns is going to be healthy enough next year. We don't know where he's going to be at.
Speaker 3: Their hope is healthy.
Speaker 2: Well believe when I see it, when I see the whites of his eyes on the mound game after game and not getting hurt again, and I'll believe it. That's it. I mean, you know, he's a show me guy when it comes to health. Now for the rest of his career, I'm not going to even debate that. Yes, if he's healthy, he's going to be good. But we don't know where he's going to be at. So you know, when we were talking about this, you know, I kind of came up with like low ball offer, medium offer, and make your eyes water offer, and all three of them started off with David Hageman. And you know that may be a non starter for Mike Hazen, but that's a starting pitcher that you know has actually shown the most stuff of late. He's still pretty low down, he's got he's not ready for the majors yet, so it wouldn't be enough to just get Hagerman. But Mike Haysen probably favors Hageman more than just about any other starter in his system right now. I know he's got a lot of belief in him. So I don't know if you know that's that's something that Mike would consider. But if Mike feels that strongly about it, guess what scouts of other teams and other front offices probably feel the same way. So it starts with Hageman, and then you know, maybe Jose Cabrera and Demetrio Croissants, or maybe Hageman and Bratt. Like you said, well you get a major league ready guy in Crysants, or if you really want to make your eyes water, Hagerman, Bratt and Walschmidt. And you know, people may think like that's madness, and there's no way you could consider Hageman, Bratt and crsentis let alone Hageman, Ratt and Walshmidt. And I'm not saying they should or will. I'm saying it should be that kind of package that's gonna be required to peel him away. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that is very fair and and it wouldn't shock me if if the Angels were able to do better elsewhere. I think that Ryan Waldschmidt, while I still think his value is high, the fact that he he did sort of hit a wall in his first stint in the big leagues and is not His.
Speaker 3: Numbers in Triple A are good.
Speaker 1: I know he had a pretty solid run there, but the underlying numbers for him in Triple A are still not you know, blow me away. This guy needs to be in the majors tomorrow type stuff. He's been a clearly above average player, but not necessarily an elite an elite player there, and then Crissants is in Double.
Speaker 3: A and knocking the cover off the ball.
Speaker 1: But you know, there's still a lot to prove for him, and he's been injury prone and he's he's the type of player who's probably going to provide most of his value from his back. He doesn't have a bunch of other tools going for him. That puts a lot of pressure on him to really really hit in the major leagues. So all that to say, I think I think it's possible that the top the highest level prospect the Diamondbacks can offer is is not as intriguing to the Angels as the highest level prospect they could get from another team. And uh, that's that's just kind of the situation that Dbacks are in right now, where they do have some prospects who are interesting, but the the the tier that they're able to reach is not quite as high as some other some other systems in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, then it might even another player, like it might have to be a volume type situation. Sure, well you give up four players or five players.
Speaker 1: We also should probably clarify that, like Deptmers does have a four to one three E this season, which is not really going to blow you away. I know you did some work on this jack and found that the which is not rocket science, but the Angels are not a very good defensive team and so the fact that Deptmer's surface numbers have lagged far behind his underlying numbers is not real surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you go back to twenty twenty one when Deptmer's actually entered the league because he had his first cup of coffee there. I mean, you know, in the last five years, the Angels ranked twenty ninth in MLB in fielding run value. I think it's a negative one hundred and seventy six d Backs over that five year span, which includes their bad season of twenty one, ranked ninth with ninety one FRV. And I think if you move out twenty one and go from twenty two forward, it's over one hundred and so you know, while he's Deptmer's has a career four six five VRA, he's got a three to nine to one career FIP. You know, he's got four point oh two career x FIP, he's got a four point oh three career x CR. So you know, more than half a run lower, well more than half a run lower for his career, and this year it's about a full run. Yeah, you know, Jesse just said three point oh eight five three seven six fIF three one eight x e r A and a three six two SIERRA. So you know, the composite average of his of his UH estimators is almost a run lower this year. So I mean to my I read Deppmer's is a sub four e RA guy legitimately this year and for his career who's played in front of a really bad offense and probably also never really had very good bullpens behind him for the most part. So probably a very high percentage of bequeathed runners allowed to score. I didn't look that up, but I guarantee your fate took a moment here to go do it. I'm sure i'd see pretty high number of you know, the inherited runners scored by the relievers coming in after redemers, probably higher than league average.
Speaker 1: I think that is safe to say. The Angels are just bad at pretty much everything, right, So probably a safe assumption there. Another storyline here, certainly is the Angels have had some changes in their organization recently. John Moseylock is now running the show as the main baseball ops guy. Perimnesian is no longer no longer in that role. Of course, Arty Moreno remains the owner in Anaheim, and so there are still very valid questions about whether the Angels are going to actually tear down. Is Arty Moreno going to give the go ahead for mozay Loock to make a trade like this, I'm not sure that's a given. You could argue Jose Soriano, another promising young pitcher in that organization, on that team, they probably should do something similar with him at least be curious about taking those offers, And I'm just not sure they will. It just hasn't really been Ardy Moreno's m O in the past. But yeah, he's an intriguing pitcher. He doesn't make that much money. You've got the team control, You've got a pitch arsenal that looks stellar across the board, fastball, slider, change up, curveball throws, the occasional sinker, the sliders really the elite outpitch. But he has a whiff rate over thirty percent on all three of those secondaries, the slider, change up in curveball. This is something I've looked at recently, Jack, like, how many which Dbacks pitchers have an outpitch have a secondary pitch that has a whiff rate over thirty percent. That's kind of the benchmark where you feel like a pitch is really capable of getting swing and.
Speaker 3: Miss, and you'd be surprised.
Speaker 1: It is pretty hard to find a secondary pitch on this major league roster, at least among the starters that is getting that kind of swing and miss and read debt Verse has three of them. He is kind of in a different category when it comes to missing bats compared with the rest of this starting rotation.
Speaker 3: So it would be pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool jack something something that would really be a fun, blockbuster type move.
Speaker 3: Is it actually going to happen? Probably not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look whether or not the Diamondbacks are even going to be willing to go down this path. I think that the exercise here in looking at this picture and thinking about, like what it would take to get them to me that was the most interesting thing about all of this, Like what would the dvacs have to give up? Who knows what the Angels would like? I mean, yeah, you got to We don't know. We're not the Angel Scouts, So I haven't talked to the Angel Scouts and they haven't told me like, yo, yeah, this guy in your system, we really liked it, And they're never going to do that, so you know, you don't know what they're going to ask for. But that's really the most important thing as we enter the these types of talks and considerations running up to the deadline is don't overestimate your the value of the prospects that you have, because yeah, you know, it just usually takes more to get a really good player than you would.
Speaker 1: Think they might ask for wald Schmidt and Crossantes and Hageman and Bratt, and then Mike Hasen probably hangs up the phone and that's that, and that that is a very very positible outcome, so fun fun to think about. Nonetheless, before we get out of here, we did want to circle back to the Diamondbacks All Stars. They have two of them that were officially named part of the NL All Star roster. We already talked about e Rod and him being named an All Star, his first All Star selection in his eleventh season, and you know you maybe wonder, like, all right, e Rod got his All Star selection, is he gonna go back on the mound and solidify himself as that guy? And even though the game didn't end well for the d Backs today, he was still really good. I mean, six plus innings, two runs. You take that from him any day. And he Rod has been everything you could ask for and more for the Diamondbacks this season.
Speaker 2: Very worthy All Star, There's no question about it. I mean, look, there is a jam packed National League group of starting pitchers. I think it's good that they only did I think the minimum three relief pitchers, so that allowed them to take mostly starting pitchers, and that's good. You know, he's going to pitch Friday, right, Yeah, so he'll definitely be in good shape to you know, go ahead and pitch a pitch an inning on Tuesday. Probably means he won't be pitching, you know, the first game out of the break, but he could probably pitch the second, so he could probably know if he pitches it on Tuesday, he can go ahead and pitch on Saturday, no problem. So I don't know who's going to get that first start coming out of the All Star break. But you know, congratulations to year out, very worthy, very deserving, and of course Corvin Carroll. I mean, you know, yes, he's slumping. He's had a very rough June. You wonder why he can't, you know, stop swinging and pitches above the zone, let alone missing them all the time. But that's only been for the last month. In fact, for the year, he's again very very worthy All Star. He still leads a team in ops, leads the league in the world in triples. You know, he's become a I think, a really solid leader in that clubhouse. Not vocal but by example, but just day by day, step by step. You can see him accepting that mantle of leadership, even though it's not something that comes naturally to him. So you know, he's a good guy. He works his butt off whatever struggles he's had over the last few week weeks. Let's not be myopic. I mean, this guy's a worthy All Star and the Dbacks are very, very lucky to have him.
Speaker 1: For Corbin, it was his third All Star selection in the past four years. Pretty impressive stuff at just twenty five years old. The Diamondbacks have two representatives in that All Star Game next Tuesday and before then. Between now and then, they have seven more games to play, all very important as we wind down toward the end of the first half of the season. D Backs in San Diego for four as we discussed, and they finish against the Dodgers three games out at Dodger Stadium heading into the break. Well, that is all that we have on this edition of Snake's Territory. Thank you all for being here with us. We really appreciate it. You can find us on social media. I am at jesse En Friedman on Twitter. Jack is at Shu Wizard fifty nine. You can find our show at Snake's Territory. Jack's written work you can find all of that over at Air Arizona Diamondbacks on SI and Jack getting final thoughts as we head into another week.
Speaker 2: I wish I was going to San Diego.
Speaker 1: Well, I am already here, which is nice. The Bacs will be right here in my backyard for the next few days. Should be able to get out to to at least at least one of those games. Should be should be a good time. Our next show will be on Wednesday night, will be live after that Wednesday game in San Diego, so be sure to join us then. And once again we say thank you so much for being here on this episode. We really appreciate it, and we'll be back once again on Wednesday night with another edition of Snake's Territory.