Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our one on this Wednesday, Dan and the Danet's Dan Patrick Show wasn't a shock, but they're still an element of surprise with what happened in Pittsburgh. So now we have the Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens, Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Giants, Titans, Steelers all looking for head coaches.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to.
Speaker 2: The man who's been covering the Steelers for I think three decades, Jerry Dulac from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. He'll join us coming up in about twenty minutes from now, And what he reported on yesterday is Mike Tomlin made the decision to step down with two years left on his contract and a contract that was going to pay him twenty five million dollars a year. I guess if you're looking at next stop, as we've talked about speculated the last two years, it was going to be TV as almost a pit stop maybe a year or two and then probably get back into code.
Speaker 3: But we'll talk to Jerry. He'll join us coming up. Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app to watch the program, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates, including Fox Sports, iHeartRadio. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America official trading card at the Dan Patrick Show every January, we're told to start over. The real progress doesn't happen overnight. Neutrifol, the best selling hair grow supplement brand, targets key root causes of thinning hair. You can get thicker, stronger hair in three to six months. You can skip the shortcuts. Visit neutrofol dot com, use the code Dan Patrick Poll, question, play of the Day, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. We've also talked to Alex Smith, former NFL quarterback now working for the Mothership on NFL Countdown. So after nineteen years, Mike Tomlin steps down, and if you're looking at a pattern here, Chuck Nole defensive minded, Bill Coward defensive minded, Mike Tomlin defensive mind. And is that next coach going to be defensive minded? Also probably going to get somebody who is not established, Probably getting somebody who will be in their mid thirties, maybe late thirties. That's been the pattern for the Steelers over the last sixty years.
Speaker 3: All right, eight.
Speaker 2: Seven seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by, He'll take your phone calls today. Seaton poll question for the first hour is what.
Speaker 4: Well do you want to start with Mike Tomlin or with Mike Tomlin's replacements.
Speaker 3: Let's do Mike Tomlin Mike Tomlin? Is it fair to say?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Or how do I word this correctly? If Mike Tomlin stepped down or was stepped down?
Speaker 2: Well, Jerry Dulac, who's covering the team, said, according to his sources, Mike Tomlin made the decision that he was going to step down.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul was.
Speaker 5: A Mike Tollin decision to step down completely voluntary would be my question, completely voluntary?
Speaker 3: Does it matter?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it.
Speaker 5: Does a little bit if you compare to what happened to Harball.
Speaker 3: We no, Harball got fired, right, but I was.
Speaker 5: I'm curious that the Pittsburgh ownership suggested this course of action.
Speaker 3: It's a fair question. Harball wanted to stay.
Speaker 2: Tony Dungee told us that when he talked to the front office ownership, it felt like if Mike wanted to continue to coach, and he had two years left on his contract, then he was going to be able to coach but do I think it's a mutual I don't. I never believe in a mutual parting where you walk in and you both say at the same time, I think that we should break up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What I kind of want to have happened.
Speaker 4: If I had sort of like some type of magical wish that could make something happen, I would have Lincoln Riley leave USC and Mike Tomlin take the USC job, just so five years later we could have that story be true.
Speaker 3: They'd be like, yeah, see, nobody believe me, but see what happened.
Speaker 4: I told you Mike Tomlins taking the USC job.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, and you wonder why Mike Tomlin has never been on this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was one of those where USC had a list and I had a source who said, all right, I've looked at the wish list of who we're going to hire.
Speaker 3: Who would we be interested in. They want to hide. Yeah, they like it's a wish list. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Mike Tomlin was on the wish list, that's all. He wasn't interested, never heard anything. So when I said that, hey, I have somebody who's seen this wish list and said, Mike Tomlin is on the wish list.
Speaker 3: Is this a joke?
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden somebody says, yeah, Dan Patrick said that you know you're interested in the USC job, which is not how I phrased it. I said they are interested in Mike.
Speaker 4: Wait, you mean a reporter framed a question to a coach to get a reaction of a press conference.
Speaker 3: Get at. I know they're supposed to be journalists in there. They're professional.
Speaker 7: They don't do that.
Speaker 3: No, they don't.
Speaker 2: Uh So, Mike tom Lincoln Riley to the Steelers, But Lincoln Riley could go wherever he wants.
Speaker 4: I just want Mike Tomlin to take the USC job just so we can have some fun with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm taking receipt Are you taking receipts or dropping receipt?
Speaker 3: Receipt keeping receipt? You keep them keeping receipt? Yes?
Speaker 8: To you think Tomlin possibly had a mindset when I'm about to meet the front office and the owners. If I don't immediately feel the love and the confidence and the encouragement that they want me back, anything less than that, I'm just going to step down.
Speaker 3: I need to hear that right away.
Speaker 8: And maybe he was thinking about going.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they phrased it. I don't know how you know they did. They pose a question, Mike, what do you want to do? Or do you say, Mike, we want you back. What do you want to do? We talked about this yesterday, but I think Mike Tomlin probably felt after nineteen years, I need to take a big deep breath here. I need's fifty three. And I'm not saying that this is one of those midlife crisis as much as it is. Okay, I've accomplished this. I've accomplished a lot. I have total respect around the league. Networks are going to want to hire me. You get together with your wife and you say, what do we want to do? And maybe you want to take that deep breath and just say, you know what, Maybe I do TV. And I don't know how good he would be on TV. I've always found that he's interesting to look at with his expressions. I don't know how demonstrative he's going to be with his words. Like when you see him on the sidelines, you're like, he looks interesting and it can be fun in press conferences a little prickly, but I don't know. You put him in studio, you put him doing a game, like I think of you would hire Mike Tomlin. I would want him in studio. I would want to see him and you could control what he's going to be talking about, as opposed to in a game. You know, just because you know the game, you coach the game, you've won a super Bowl, you've been in the playoffs. That doesn't mean you can do a broadcast. But if I put you in a studio, and this is what I would do if I'm INBC, I would say to Mike Tomlin, we want to hire you through the postseason, and we have the Super Bowl, So now I get kind of a head start. Now do I think CBS is going to reach out because Matt Ryan is now working with the Falcons, And I brought that up to Bill Cower yesterday. Hey, I'd bring in Mike Tomlin this weekend. If I'm CBS, put him in there with Cower. You know, then you get to ask him the questions about this. Then you get to talk to him about you know, the game's coming up, so you have him do his first interview with you. Jay Glazer is a great relationship with Mike. I could see that they haven't replaced Jimmy Johnson. I could see where you bring in Mike Tomlin, but I don't know if he's part of the hijinks that you have at the Fox pregame show, like wacky you know, goofy stuff, Where's CBS you know a little bit more, you know, uniformity with that, and you're there with Bill Kauer. That could be fun as well. But he'll have options. But if I'm NBC, I bring him in and I say we would like to have you through the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: See what he says? All right? So the yes, Ton? Is there a standard of coach owners meeting?
Speaker 8: I know, like the players, you know they pack up their stuff and you meet with the press and all that. I was just wondering who initiated the conversation, how much that matter? Did Mike Tomlin say, hey, do you got a minute to the ownership group? Or did they say, Mike, come on and let's talk about some stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, you always have an exit interview every team, every coach has.
Speaker 8: I'm just I'd be fascinated to know just how that started. And you know, not that it'll be aggressive, but who initiated the what are we doing next year? What's our plan?
Speaker 4: Are we here?
Speaker 8: We're not here together.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you have an exit interview. Season's over.
Speaker 2: You get together, you talk about what short term, long term plans are. This took on probably a different tone where you're walking in and you're saying, all right, what are we doing? We want you back? What are you thinking? Two years left on your contract? What are you thinking? That's probably you know how this was sort of the table was set for this meeting. I can't imagine they'll go, hey, Mike, come on in, let's talk man. So what do you want to do at quarterback next year?
Speaker 3: Now? What do you think? You know?
Speaker 2: I think this was let's start big picture, keep a big picture. If he decides he's going to stay, well now we can have some questions about the roster. And I didn't think I thought at the beginning of the year, I thought that this would be the last year for Tomlin, the last year for Aaron Rodgers. And it looks like Aaron Rodgers will be done in Pittsburgh as well. I don't know if there's any other opportunity for him. Somebody suggested to me yesterday, well what if Minnesota brought him in? And I thought, okay, maybe this past year. But now all of a sudden, he's forty three, and he's looking every bit forty three. You still have a couple of good receivers on that team. But and I think they want to open up the competition with AJ McCarthy. But I don't want to one and done, or you know, like Pittsburgh, all right, it was one year, you rolled the dice, you got to the playoffs, and that's it.
Speaker 3: It didn't work out. But I don't know if I see.
Speaker 2: A team like you can't have a team go hey, let's bring him in and maybe people like the Cleveland Browns. Hey, maybe somebody will show up to watch Aaron Rodgers play quarterback. I don't see that. I don't think that there's this victory tour for him. I don't think he's interested in that. But with Mike Tomlin, and you're gonna get compensation if Mike coaches the next two years. That's why I think he if he takes that TV job, he might take it for two years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you still have to compensate the Steelers after those two years, because he does have two years left on his contract. I don't know if that continues in perpetuity if he takes another head coaching job. Yes, Marvin, do.
Speaker 9: You see him pulling a Bill Kauer or coach Kauer where you never coach again? Because I coach the Steelers. What can get better than this?
Speaker 2: Well, there was sensitivity involved with Bill Kauer with his wife. She was sick and he needed to spend more time three daughters. And so I think that that's the reason why Bill was not coming back to coaching. And also, you know, these guys get into TV and they realize it's not bad. You know, it's not the wear and tear, the hours, wins, losses, all of that. Well, you wake up Monday, You're good. You didn't lose. You might have won a little bit with you know, your performance on TV, but it rarely lose. And get to go have meals, get to wear nice clothes, you get to have people you know put makeup on you. It's not bad, not bad at all. So I think Mike, he strikes me as he's a coach and would still want to coach. But I think, I mean, look at the NFL. Look at all the openings here, and I thought there would be six, maybe seven openings. I don't even I was told yesterday by a source. You know, don't rule out somebody else's team in the playoffs changing coaches. And I'm thinking how much more? How many candidates are out there, but you got John Harball at the top of the list. I don't know if Mike Tomlin would be on that list. But if I'm a team all of these teams, I'd be reaching out to Mike Tomlin. What I would want is an interview with Mike Tomlin, so Tomlin could tell me about my team. If I'm Arizona, I go, Mike, We'll turn this over to you. We'll give you twenty million dollars. You can do whatever you want, total autonomy, and see if he's interested. He's probably not, Yeah, PAULI a couple of things on Tomlin. Since the Steelers did not fire him, they retained the rights to him throughout the twenty twenty seventh season, so any team that hires him this coaching cycle or next year's coaching cycle would owe some type of compensation to that to the Steelers. Also, the Steelers posted this thirty five minutes ago. Steelers President Art Runey the Second will speak to the media today at twelve Eastern and then yesterday posted thank you coach Tomlin for the hard work, dedication success you brought the Steelers for over nineteen years.
Speaker 5: A couple things.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk to Jerry Doulac, who covers the Steelers and get his thoughts on how this all came about. And you know, it felt like one of the worst kept secrets because people kept saying, man, Tom, I could see.
Speaker 3: Him doing TV boy, he'd be good at TV.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're fifty three, You're in the middle of a playoff chase, you get into the playoffs, you lose in the playoffs. Now all of a sudden, you step down. So there was something there and it had been there for a while. But if you win that game, does he still eventually step down? Was this a foregone conclusion? Maybe in his mind and maybe the Steelers. We'll find out next. This is The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your locals for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports radio dot com. We're streamers live every day on the iHeartRadio app By searching FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it. Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows, Dube Pro's and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Coward, Doug Gottlieb Cavino and Rich The Odd Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington at Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon and The Ben Maller Show.
Speaker 3: Sports Radio on.
Speaker 1: YouTube, subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment.
Speaker 2: Away Cardinals, Falcons, Ravens, Browns, Raiders, Dolphins, Giants, Titans, and now the Steelers. Jerry Dulac covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and he joins us, Now, how did we get here?
Speaker 3: Jerry?
Speaker 10: You know, Dan, it's it's been evolving, of course, and I think the final straw was just another one and done in the postseason. That's nine times in Mike Thomlins career. That ties Marty Schottenheimer, who's long remembered for all the one and done, you know, with that dubious record, and you know, five times in the playoffs the last six years. I mean, obviously, you know, people he around here think the sky is falling because they haven't won a playoff game, and to them, I understand why, but it's just it's kind of the same, the same scene every year, get into postseason and then not only get eliminated, but you know, they're really I know, the Texans scored two touchdowns in the last four minutes, but the games are never really competitive. And you know, I know, you know, Dan, people always say you don't make change for the sake of change, and the Steelers didn't make this change. Mike Tomlin decided to step down, but it was time to make a change just for the sake of change. You couldn't continue if your ownership. I don't know how you have just sat there and watched the same old thing happen again. And you know, Mike Tomlin made the decision for them.
Speaker 3: Do you think it was completely his decision? Here?
Speaker 10: I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that, Dan, because I don't always think that's the case. But I will say this, I have been told from the top that the Steelers retain his rights, and that would mean that he stepped down, that they didn't fire him, you know, that would be a different, different scenario. So I'm going to go on that with the with the idea that he did step down, and from everybody I heard, including some of the players, that seems to be the case.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 10: I don't think they told him, look, we'll let you what you know, we want you out, but we'll let you step down. I don't think that's the case. But I'm still still open to the buzz of Delly.
Speaker 3: So what's next for Tomin? I don't know.
Speaker 10: You know, Dan, everybody wants to think that, you know, he's going He's perfect for TV and that's where he's going to go. Look, you know, he and I don't sit down and have those discussions.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 10: I've never gotten the indication that that's something on his radar, and I don't know if he wants to continue coaching. That's what I'm gonna, you know, obviously find out here in the next couple of days. I don't know what his plans are because I haven't had a chance to talk to him, but I you know, Mike, Mike Tommins a football junkie, and I would almost I would expect him to you know want to go coach again, but I guess we're going to find out. Nineteen years in one place, let's face it, a long time. And I never got any sense that he was burned out. I never thought that at all. And I just I think he looked at kind of the landscape and the environment of what was going on here, and you know, I'm not going to sit here and say he stepped down for the better good of the franchise or maybe the better good of his reputation. I don't know, but I think he could feel and sense and see what was going on, you know, from the fan base to everything else, and just probably thought, you know, what, time to step away.
Speaker 3: What's next for the Steelers.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, obviously their history of hiring head coaches has been pretty good, and they haven't had to do it in a while nineteen years. When you look at the last three hires, all young, defensive minded coaches, I would expect the same to happen. Despite what the way we see the NFL being played these days, I would imagine they'll follow the same template. I think they'll move quickly. I'm not going to do it by the end of the week, but I would imagine that's the direction they are going to go. And I will tell you you know, when Bill Kawer stepped down after the sixth season, the Steelers retained a number of his assistants from the staff, including Bruce arians, Dick LeBeau, Keith Butler.
Speaker 3: I don't know if.
Speaker 10: That's going to be the case, but it's one the rooneys do, you know. They don't They don't let a coach come in and start picking his entire staff and his training staff and a medical staff and the secretary's and a pr staff to Steelers say hey, this is what you got, and you work around that. And so we'll see how it plays out. I would expect a lot of that, you know, to still be the same.
Speaker 3: Aaron Rodgers' future, I think.
Speaker 10: I think if Mike Tomlin stayed, I think they would have welcomed him back to a degree. But I will say this Dan, whether he was coming back or not, it wasn't going to change what they want to do intend to do in the draft, And I'm not saying they will do it because we'll see how it plays out, but their intention is to find a quarterback that they can build on for the next ten twelve fifteen years hopefully, And so whether Aaron Rodgers comes back or not, that plan doesn't change.
Speaker 3: I know that it falls on Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: But did front office help build a team that could challenge first Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: I don't think there's any question that.
Speaker 10: You know, the general manager, Omar Khan, was very aggressive the last two years, even the last three, but especially the last two in trying to get the pieces to, you know, to make a potential run. But you know, the first step was winning a playoff game and that didn't happen, and so they also brought in a number of thirty plus veterans and that that didn't work. Then I don't know that you stick with the with the same personnel and you start to make some changes again, and at some point, you know, the Steelers then never use the word rebuild. And I'm not saying they're going to do that, but you know, they've done it kind of piecemeal, and I got a sense this one might be a little bit of a bigger overhaul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they're not bad enough to get better by having that high draft pick, Like you're you're kind of in the twenties, and that could be no man's land if you're you know, A nine and eight, ten and seventeen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, when you think of where they've had to draft. Now, they've traded up a couple of times to get up to sixteen to get an offensive lineman. But when you think about where they have had to draft and the consistent success five times in the postseason in the last six years, you know, they haven't been able to hit that home run with a number one pick, And to me, that's what makes every draft. I think their drafts have been solid, but they haven't had that Pro Bowl, elite.
Speaker 3: Type of player.
Speaker 10: And you know you have to go back to TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt to find that guy.
Speaker 10: And I think that's where they need and they know it. They know those first five picks, first eight picks or where you first five, especially where you find those elite players. First eight to ten is where you find maybe the Pro Bowl players and then you keep your fingers crossed it maybe you land somebody. But they haven't had that guy and that's what they need and they know it. That's what they need to go and try and.
Speaker 2: Do anybody untouchable on the roster in your opinion, No.
Speaker 10: No, you know, I don't think I you know, DK metcalf is, I don't think despite that suspension what some people want to think, he's coming back. Cam Hayward's going to be thirty seven. But you know, I will tell you, Dan, I don't think anybody is untouchable. They're right tackle Troy Fontano, maybe some of our offensive linemen, but otherwise any of the other guys.
Speaker 3: No, thanks again, I know you're busy. We appreciate it, Dan.
Speaker 10: Well, always enjoy being with you.
Speaker 2: Jerry Doolat covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, also part of the Steelers Radio network. If Mike Tomlin does not take a job in the next two years, there's no compensation for the Steelers. He would be a free agent. And you know, keep in mind the Sean Payton situation when he left the Saints and he ended up with the Broncos. The Broncos had to give up two picks for Sean Payton. Bruce Arians, Herm Edwards, John Ruden, Bill Belichick, Mike Holme, and Bill Parcells. Those are these seven head coaches traded in NFL history.
Speaker 3: David in Ohio, Hi, David.
Speaker 11: Hey, David, Dan speaking, Hey, Hey, Dan speaking of Todd might like this one.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Steelers.
Speaker 6: Head coaches, I guess you could say that the Steelers chuck a knowle from Mike Tomlins.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 3: You can't approve of that, Todd.
Speaker 8: I can't. I want to because he gave me a little shout and he was trying to do the headline thing.
Speaker 3: But I think he can do better.
Speaker 2: Where is Pittsburgh, Dave David Arkansas joints this.
Speaker 11: I'm right here, Dan. I'm the newest member, I gotta say for a newest member of.
Speaker 12: The d DC.
Speaker 11: Oh and almost the newest member of the one I see. I got hit in the face of the golf ball and nearly took out on a left eye.
Speaker 2: So you were going to join PAULI on the one good eye club.
Speaker 11: Great to have you almost happened.
Speaker 2: Uh but and condolences with the dead dad club there, But you know, welcome to the club.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 11: Now, as for Tom and his concerned I just think the time was right. I do believe this was totally his decision. There was no forcing of anything from the front office.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 11: So you know it's and I look at it as the next coach might be the last coach. I watch you know the way they go with coaches. My last coach that I watch, I wouldn't mind. I mean a lot of talk has been Brian Flores. You know, do you make the call to Marcus Freeman? I could see that.
Speaker 2: Oh I make the call. Absolutely. I make the call with Marcus Freeman. I mean, you're the Steelers, you know, you're one of the blue bloods there. But thank you, Dave, and once again, welcome to the Dead Dad's Club. Curtis in Illinois, Hi, Curtis, what's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Morning?
Speaker 12: DP?
Speaker 3: Just calling it today.
Speaker 13: Everybody's going nuts over who's going to hire John Harbaugh? And then this if Tomlin decides he wants to coach again, there'd be probably just as long as a list. But if you look back at NFL history, there's never been a coach that has won Super Bowls with multiple teams. So if you're hiring for a new coach, don't you just want that younger, hungry coach that has something to gain.
Speaker 3: Out of it?
Speaker 2: I would, because this is what everybody has been saying. Man, you could bring in John Harbaugh, you could bring in Mike Tomlin. Well, if they couldn't get their team over the hump. What makes you think they can get your team over the hump?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think if you're following the Steelers' history and track record, it's probably somebody more like Jesse Minter that makes the most sense defensive coordination With the Chargers, he's the defensive coordinator. They like to hire defensive minded head coaches. And if right now the one thing you can build around is TJ. Watt, bring in a guy who's in his early forties that sort of follows a lot of the same things that the Steelers as an organization really likes. And Jerry Duleak was just saying, you don't come in and bring in all of your people, you come in and assimilate into what is already existing. I don't know, I think that he probably makes a lot of sense. Yeah, Jesse Mentor, I think is forty one. Brian Flores probably is going to get a head coaching job, might be with the Raiders, maybe it's Pittsburgh. But back to what I was talking about, where you got John Harbaugh and Kevin Stefanski and Mike Tomlin. Those are all marquee names, proven coaches, but there's a reason why they're not coaching their respective teams, they couldn't.
Speaker 2: Get them over the hump. Now it's different for Kevin Stefanski. He did not have the talent there that these other two co John Harball had a future Hall of Fame quarterback. Mike Tomlin didn't have that for the latter part of his career. They were looking, they're still looking Lamar jack The Ravens chose Lamar Jackson over John Harbaught feels like like whoever's coaching is coming in and they're gonna have to put Lamar Jackson in a better position to win. But that doesn't mean if you're Atlanta or Arizona, the Giants, all of these openings, you'd be going, hey, that's an upgrade. That guy can help us be better. Because if I said, hey, I'm going to have you hire a guy who's going to have you in the playoffs for the next ten years, you gotta have winning record the next ten years, but you're going to roll the dice and chances are you won't win a playoff game. If you're Atlanta, would you sign up for that? If you're the Giants, would you sign up for that? The Browns would you sign up for that? Arizona would you Tennessee, Like, there's certain teams that their expectator. You know, the Steelers, it's about winning championships. The Patriots, you win championships. Even the Cowboys, who haven't done anything in thirty years, it's still winning championships. Arizona, it's just let's be relevant, let's be competitive. The Giants one of the blue bloods. They have not been good, not consistent. Atlanta, they've been a mess. So there's certain teams Tennessee would take that. Hey, ten years winning record, playoffs every single year, but you're not winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh. That doesn't fly. In Baltimore, that doesn't fly. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: So if you're the Falcons of the Titans, would you say, hey, let's have a Tom Coffin like career where you only make the playoffs twice in ten.
Speaker 3: Years, but you win Super Bowls? Would you sign up for that? Yes, everybody would.
Speaker 2: The Steelers would sign up for that, Baltimore would sign up for that. It's sort of like the Florida Marlins, you know, like every five to six years, it'd be like, I'll be damn they won another World Series.
Speaker 9: Yes, Mark, So the year before you win the Super Bowl, you're on the hot seat. He might get fired, but let's win a super Bowl instead.
Speaker 2: Nick Siriani and they fire their offensive coordinator. I feel bad for Jalen Hurts. He's had a new offensive coordinator every single year, and he's going to have another one next year. And I believe if you look at his offensive coordinators at Alabama, he had a new one every single year. Greatness starts with stability. Who is my coach? Who is my offensive coordinator? Jalen Hurts has not had that. And maybe we'll see that we haven't seen the best of Jalen Hurts because maybe there will be consistency there. But they offensive coordinators, it's it is difficult to play the position to begin with. Then all of a sudden, you got somebody else's coming in now, new terminology, maybe a new mindset. Maybe AJ Brown's not there, Saquon Barkley a year older. Like you know, you got to start factoring these things in. And when we talk about the window, didn't it feel like that Eagles window is wide open, ready for a couple of Super Bowls, winning a couple of Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: They got to two with this group.
Speaker 2: Now you wonder It's like the Lions because everybody you know, we have that same approach. Eh, they'll be back. There's no guarantees, no guarantees. Look at Kansas City, man, you got Mahomes, you got Kelsey, Andy Reid, until you're not going to have Mahomes for a little while and you may not have Kelsey. Now, all of a sudden, Kansas City third best team in their division.
Speaker 3: That's how quickly it happens.
Speaker 2: Baltimore's had a two time probably should have been a three time MVP at quarterback and have nothing to show for it.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: I can put blame on him, but it just seems like that game plan always changed when they got.
Speaker 3: To the postseason.
Speaker 2: So as much as we like to say, hey that window is still open, it might be, but that's where it's open. But you put your fingers there and that window comes down on them.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: And the way the NFL is built, there's a new team every single year that comes out of nowhere and becomes a contender.
Speaker 3: All out Houston Texans.
Speaker 2: Well, there's usually three or four teams. I think we had all the divisional winners, weren't they They've had a new divisional winner and I think that's what you have to factor in. There is hope for your team, but also if you're a team that is already good, there's no guarantee that you stay there.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up eight seven to seven to three DP show. We'll talk to the former quarterback Alex Smith of the ESPN's NFL Countdown. He'll join us next hour. Back after this with our Play of the Day. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 5: Oh my God, the play of the day.
Speaker 2: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 10: Check this out.
Speaker 14: One more here for the junior from dear hotlack Hill and that one rims out go first with a chance the three on the way, it goes Tyson. Now Blackwell for the wind.
Speaker 2: John Blackwell hits a buzzer beater Wisconsin. Uh, they defeat Minnesota on the road. That's courtesy of the Big Ten Network. I'm gonna start watching some college basketball here soon, getting ready for March Madness. Play the Day, Play the Day, brought to you, Bob. The great folks said, Dude wipes because it's life changing, the extra large flushable Dude Wipes because weder is better available at Amazon and major retailers nationwide. Dude Wipe's best clean pants down mentioned the movie another Battle, One battle after another seat and is that the name of it?
Speaker 9: Is that?
Speaker 12: It?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 3: I finally got through it. It took me. Oh you finished three? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I watched fifteen minutes, then I think I watched fifteen minutes, and then I finished it yesterday.
Speaker 3: So a three three seater, Yes we'll call that, yes, okay, yes.
Speaker 2: Seawan Penn won the Academy Award. If you watch that movie, I don't know how you don't come away going that is an incredible performance. And I know, I don't know how many people who highlight Sean Penn's movie career. He was great as Spacoli, but this movie he is great. He's great, but so is beneath Theo del Toro and the cast is great. And then there is a younger woman who plays Leonardo DiCaprio's daughter, and she has an interesting name. Have you do you know what that is seeing?
Speaker 3: I haven't. I haven't looked it up.
Speaker 7: I will alanahim No, No, Chase Infinity, Chase Infinity, and uh, she is spectacular, steals the movie at the end, steals it.
Speaker 2: But it's an interesting movie. I didn't follow the storyline that well. I was trying to. But maybe when you watch it in three different increments that happens and we got.
Speaker 4: To pick it up over and over again, it makes a little trickier to get the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need a refresher there, you know, somebody to say, hey, by the way, this is what's happening here.
Speaker 4: Doesn't that really speak to the quality of Sean Penn's performance though, that over three different sittings you still thought he was great.
Speaker 2: Sean Penn was great, Yeah he was, he was He's incredible. Yeah, yeah, so I would. I would recommend the movie, but it's you gotta stay focused with it so good. I really liked it, all right. Update the poll results if you can Seaton. By the way, the Steelers in their last seven playoff losses, they the average score is thirty seven to twenty two. So then you have an average offense and you have an overrated defense is what that tells me. You're giving up an average of thirty seven and you're scoring twenty two. You're not beating anybody. And I would have everybody up for grabs, including TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt.
Speaker 2: I would just say, I'm going to open up the pantry, Come on in, what are you gonna give me? I know they don't do rebuilds. Maybe you just call it a reload, but it's a rebuild there because you got to find your quarterback. You got to start the way, you got to find your coach, and then you got to find your quarterback.
Speaker 3: All right, Seaton, what do you have next year?
Speaker 4: Mike Tomlin will be a head coach in the media or on a beach playing sudoku right now. In the media has about sixty five percent of that vote, followed by on the beach.
Speaker 3: Joe and Orlando. Hi, Joe, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: I'm going Dan, good morning, so quick question Daan. One thing we can ascertain from these playoffs is that you've got to have a good coach to be competitive. That being said, it seems to me the Raiders have two pass They can get Mendoza and you can go try to find your next McConnell, your next.
Speaker 12: McVeigh and that alleviates that revolving doors of ocs. Or do you go get a legitimate qualified Tomlin or football? Trade that first pick, Trade Rosby, Crosby, get.
Speaker 6: As much as you can and try to rebuild the entire organization.
Speaker 2: I don't want to trade that pick if that's the quarterback, and you do your due diligence, and that is your quarterback. And granted he might be the next Kirk Cousins, but if you're the Raiders, you'll take that. If I said he's the next Joe Flacco, you take that. I think we envision these quarterbacks and we go, Man, he can be the next Mahomes, next Tom Brady. No, no, no, But can he be somebody who gives you something that's sustainable that when he goes to the line of scrimmage, our game on the line, that you have confidence in him. I mean, the Raiders have been a poorly run organization. They're paying so many coaches. What are they paying three coaches? Maybe four? Now who you're bringing in? Are you going to go on the cheap? Are you going to try to go for a big ticket. I can't imagine John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin being interested in that job. They're about winning championships. The knock on them is they can't win playoff games there. You're not even getting into the playoffs, you know, Tennessee. I think is a great job for somebody, but not for those guys. They're about when I got to show that I can win another Super Bowl. Not Hey, I'm going to have a winning record for the next five to seven years. So I didn't do anything to your legacy, if that's what you care about. But John Harbaugh, who I worked with the Super Bowl in Minnesota. I thought he was really good on TV, and nobody has brought up is John Harball interested in doing TV? It feels like all of the all indications aren't. He is going to be a head coach again, and he has his pick of all of these jobs. He did not want to leave. The Ravens did him dirty by firing him, saying they fired there was no mutual. Steelers might have fired Mike Tomlin right. They're going to keep it really, really quiet because their owner, even though he has a press conference today at noon, usual doesn't say too much. The Raven's owner, Steve's not afraid to get out there and say something, and he did. He said it was time to move on from John Harbaugh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, if you're the Steelers owner at noon today, do you take questions?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if an owner lies to me at a press conference, I'm not going to be shocked if she say, uh, wasn't a mutual party? Did you fire Mike Tomlin. If I'm ownership, I just say no, No. We have great respect for him. You know, this is what he was, this is what he asked for with two years left on his contract. Sorry to see him go Hall of Fame career, and we wish him the best. Yeah, but then it's a mutual part.
Speaker 9: And they just said Mike Tomas stepped down, correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Ravens didn't even give John Harball that that was dirty. They're like, nah, we fired him, Nope, time to move on. That's why they have security follow you around when you're cleaning out your desk. That's what they did at the Mothership. They have security like what are we stealing?
Speaker 3: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, I'm gonna steal Danielle's sergeant hour two on the way after this