Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull. That for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day at a steak?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Woo woof? And them and tie Welcome back to the solid rubber boys and girls. My name is Ty hilde Brand. That fine gentleman over there, the one and only Dan Rubinstein now back in Chicago, Land, Dan, how are you? Yeah, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I would recommend not flying with a three month old and a two and a half year old. I think that's super not fun.
Speaker 1: You also, you also flew with like eight pounds of cheese. What to explain? Yeah, it wasn't explain to me the cheese thing. And like, did you have trouble getting through security with that? Like, what's it like trying to put that through the the scanner? Twelve pounds of cheese? Twelve pounds of cheese? Uh, there was a brand of cheese I was looking for that they didn't have in the Midwest, even though it's a brand that I think is made in the Midwest. But they had it at a restaurant supply supply store on the West Coast, but they didn't have it in.
Speaker 3: The supply store I go to here. So I knew I had a really light suitcase because a bulk of the clothes and stuff where in Jody with and I. Her suitcase had also the kids stuff. So I just had mine in a little suitcase. It was like a twelve pound suitcase and it's not overweight until like fifty and it was a checked bag. And so I said, you know what, I could throw a couple of those blue ice things in there with the two blocks of cheese, the two six pound blocks of cheese, and it's cold underneath the plane. And I just said, look, if I open my suitcase after the fact and there it's warm blocks of cheese, I'll toss it. It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 3: It didn't break the bank to buy this cheese. But if they're cold still, it seems like a wind for me who goes through a lot of cheese making pizza at home. You're now officially a cheese runner. Yeah, a coyote of dairy. Yeah that's me.
Speaker 1: Have you used it yet in the pizza? No? Not yet.
Speaker 3: I will this week. And this is a college football show. This is a Q and a college football show that I promise we're going to get to momentarily. I do do do promise, but no, I have not used it yet. Later in the week I'm going to make a couple pies and see how it works out. I have to be pretty strategic with my pizza making right now, with two little ones and this and the Soliverable Universe and future solivable projects occupying my time. So I'm very excited to use the Supputo. I like Grande brand a lot, but that's harder to get Supputo Premium Gold label pizza cheese. Yeah, it's a slower melt tie, so you get the cheese bubbling and browning at the same rate as your dough and crust. So you're one of the weirdest people I know for admitting this one you and I love you for it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Just always embrace who you are and what you do. There's no reason to do otherwise. It's it's the healthiest thing to me.
Speaker 1: There it is. Well, welcome back, everybody, Thank you for listening. Two hours. So now what miniseriies that we ran throughout the month of May. Last week was the final week. Got a lot of great feedback. Got some feedback from some folks who were like, you know what, let's screw twenty twenty. I want to talk about twenty twenty one. So we're going to start doing that now as we go through your questions. We had a bunch of questions, forward looking questions about the twenty twenty one season. Excited to go through those with you, Daniel. One other thing, One other housekeeping note that I'm just going to mention quickly before we play the sound and get the questions. You may recall a few weeks ago we were taking submissions at submissions at saliverble dot com email address for people who wanted to help us out, and right we had incredible outpouring of response to that request. There is now another slot that we are able to open, and that is for a social media intern. Social media is like a thing now. I don't know if you've heard of this. We're looking for a social media intern, somebody who can show us that they've done this sort of thing for not just like on a personal level, but have like worked and helps help out a little bit, yeah, others on social media sides. So submissions at soliverbal dot com we're looking for fun, people who'd want to come on help us out and can help, you know, with some cool ideas. So yeah, that's what we're waiting for submissions at soliverbal dot com for our social media intern if you're interested.
Speaker 3: Would love that, would love to hear from people interested. There's not much in the way of news before we get into the questions. As is the case, there have been some transfers. I saw Sam Noyer, the Colorado starting quarterback from last season, who was himself a converted safety. The quarterback room in Boulder is particularly thin, so it'll be JT. Shroud or it looks like Brendan Lewis, who was a red shirt freshman I believe. I saw Nick Saban got an extension for years and years, which makes sense, and we got kind of a.
Speaker 1: Rollover question about that, which maybe we did start with.
Speaker 3: Nick Saban got an extension, So you know, there's more transfers trickling in. I saw Keelan Robinson, a former blue chip running back who I had committed, who has been in the Alabama program, transferred to Texas to rejoin a number of the staff members who made that move, including obviously Sark and Kyle Flood, who is the offensive coordinator quote unquote, but it's Sark running the show and he will be running the offensive line. Flood will be so not a ton in the way of big news. I've saw that there are some we mentioned this a little bit, some kickoff issues that the PAC twelve coaches are Coach David Shaw, the Kansas State thing, it'll be we mentioned that on a previous show, or actually I think it was probably on the Patreon only show we did that. David Shaw none too pleased with the body clock game that they have against what Kansas State and Arlington at Jerry World. And I know I think the the Oregon Ohio State game is an eleven am Central, nine am Pacific kick in Columbus, So that's like the big noon Saturday because it's new Eastern time, big noon Saturday kick, so that'll be early for Oregon. I don't think I've heard anything in the way of Oregon coaches talking about that kick, but it is something that is not a terrific thing for teams flying west to east.
Speaker 1: So there's that.
Speaker 3: The PAC twelve as a new commissioner, and we'll see if kick times and TV deals and bowl deals and all that stuff gets revised, updated, as you know, whenever that TV deal comes up.
Speaker 1: So that's that.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, not too much else worth diving deep into. We have a number of really strong questions, good, good, spears, hood whatever. Yeah, And if you are a Patreon verballer, and that means you have signed up at verballers dot com, you can also choose to watch this. And Ty looks particularly handsome, but I deemed a it looks like a cotton linen baby blue blend. There's a collar, it's a button down. He looks like he's about to go on an above average date.
Speaker 1: See, you're always giving me a hard time because all I have are gray T shirts, right, and I'm wearing a great T shirt and you're wearing a great T shirt, which I didn't know before we connect it up here. So when we decided, like, oh, we have to record this, I ran into the room. I grabbed the first first non gray shirt that I could find, and it was this looks spok. You look great. You're back from your trips out west. We are back collectively as a show from our trip back into twenty twenty. I went to a restaurant for the first time yesterday and like over a year, I'm feeling good man, So why not dress up? Why not dress up? Why not? Why not build the excitement headed into this twenty twenty one season. I'm ready.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's let's start at the only place that we really should start, and that's in ames Iowa tie Brice Hall Heisman. This comes to us from Bort for baller bort or very active and fantastic. What would Bryce Hall have to do to win the Heisman? Is this team, the Clones, a realistic national championship contender? And just how badly will they beat Iowa this year? Well, let's go how badly will Iowa State beat Iowa. I'm going to say not very because that doesn't seem to be never happened the way that the world.
Speaker 1: No, necessarily no, no.
Speaker 3: They of course did not play the Syhawk game last season because the Big Ten was conference only. But early prediction on that game. I tend to like Iowa ugly because that's just the way of the world. Early prediction on that game, and how high are your expectations in terms of national conversation, because this is an Iowa State team who won a New Year's six Bowl game, last year against a legitimately good team and Breise Hall and in Nueva York.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I like Iowa State as I have every year for the last what feels like eternity. It's a fun team to root for. You'll remember back in the day way Paul Rhodes on the Show of course, friend of the Show, Paul Rhades, so proud. We've always stuck for Iowa State. I'm looking at Iowa State schedule right now. Look, Iowa State is going to have to deal with a backloaded schedule. Have to deal with the backloaded schedule. There's a good chance that they run through the first half eight games I don't know of this schedule and they go undefeated. There's a good chance of that. But what it comes down to for them is the last couple weeks of the year in November, when they've got Texts at home, they've got Oklahoma on the road, and they've got TCU at home, and then have a Big twelve championship game. If they can make it through that stretch of November, they certainly got a shot at the Big Twelve. I don't think that's too far beyond reason in terms of a pure national contender, though I don't know if I'm feeling that. Man, that's a little bit of a bridge too far.
Speaker 3: I don't know how good of a chance they have it eight No, I mean, aside from Iowa they also have what Kansas State and Oklahoma State, and I know that opening and Oklahoma State has been kind of a nightmare. They have loans, I share. I just I feel like the Big twelve should be the goal. And yeah, if if you can get to eight to oho and give yourself a shot going into November, that's kind of the goal, as opposed to are we going to make the playoff?
Speaker 1: Are we going to win the Big twelve? Or undefeated?
Speaker 3: It's reasonably fair to say a year after winning the Fiesta Bal a New Year six game over another conference champion, not that Iowa State was, but by a conference champion, a P five conference champion, say, okay, where do we stand nationally now? I mean they were a balanced team with a relatively strong offense, relatively strong defense. I think they returned Greg Eysworth, he comes back, and Charlie Cohler would start at tight end for chan or anybody. Chaz excuse me, Chaz Cohler would start at tight end for damn near anybody, and they return a good amount. So I think it's a fair question to say not just Big twelve because they beat the Big twelve champion last year. They came back and beat Texas and they beat Oregon, so they their stage has grown. They're the attention the magnifying glasses grown in magnitude on the clones. The problem with Iowa State right now is I don't see a winter Wonder a killer at receiver. All due respect to Xavier Hutchinson, who I believe is back, and Rock Purdy has these disappearing acts in certain games. They had four or five straight three and outs, I believe against Oklahoma State, and I looked it up, seemed like a clear day, wasn't especially windy, there was not a monsoon situation happening, and I think they missed a semi guppy they doing the field goal, lost by three and doing the field goal late in the first half, and so there's that issue. To me, if we're going to talk about a national championship contender, I want explosive speed on offense, game breaking speed that if they are in an ugly game, they have somebody who can bust an eighty one yard run, and I like bris Hall a good amount, but I don't think that offense is necessarily inventive, creative and intended to generate those plays. It's much more ball control at times. I looked up his percentage of carries going for five plus yards was pretty low compared to the best of twenty twenty's best running backs. And I don't think it's necessarily his fault, but I think the way that that offense is designed, it's not especially built for consistent explosion from running back. And I also don't think he is not necessarily a Heisman contender both for that reason, and I don't think he is the type of all purpose player. Now if he puts up cartoonish numbers, you know, like somebody like who was it Andre Williams at Boston College who went for two k I went two thousand yards, that's a conversation. I'd like to see him in a more all purpose Naji Harry, Naji Harry, Naji Harris, Christian McCaffrey, those are the guys that seem to get those invites. Were like, Okay, this guy is a danger out of the backfield in the passing game, or in the return game, and so I think, well, and here's just he just happens to be very, very good.
Speaker 1: He's very good. He rushed for almost seven hundred more yards in twenty twenty over the previous season. We all know it was a goofy season in twenty twenty. We talked about that for the last month. But like, the other component of this is that Spencer Ratler is also in the Big Twelve, and there's a good chance that Spencer Ratler's team is going to beat Iowa State once, maybe twice, depending on how things go. That offense is set up for someone like Spencer Rattler. So you would need your team, I think, to outperform Oklahoma once, if not twice. And then also you'd need to do something statistically that's sort of cartoonish to make up for the fact that Spencer Ratler is going to put up crazy numbers. Right.
Speaker 3: I'd also say, because we mentioned the Iowa game and Bort, it's so funny it's saying that name is sport Bort. My son is also named Bort. If Breis Hall goes bonkers against Iowa in week I believe it's two, right, they have one two If he goes bonkers in a winning efforts. I think September statements are huge. Now it's not everything, but from a place that isn't necessarily going to get benefits of the doubt late in the year. In terms of talent, I think bonkers against the Hawks. I think it's a conversation we can have in earnest at that point. I will then yeah, wait and see.
Speaker 1: I will say this though, I do think he is the top running back at this early juncture in the preseason. He's a twelve or overall. Now he's the top running back candidate for the Heisman. Interesting, so I think he's I think he's definitely got a shot. I just think his path is going to be blocked by the fact that his team needs to beat Oklahoma again once, if not twice. And secondly, I think the Heisman front runner Spencer Rattler is also in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: So b Jean Robinson has I think better odds right now at Texas at running back. Okay, that's what I'm seeing right now, per Vegas Insider. Right, Bjeon Robinson will be playing in that more inventive offense. We'll see who ends up winning that quarterback job, but b Jeon Robinson with the benefit of Sark, with the benefit of what we've seen from him in terms of explosivity. Now I think a lot that's Colorado and the Bowl game whatever. But sorry, Colorado, I look I like, I think his ceiling might be higher, but the proven guy is Breece Hall. Though the guy you can set your watch to is bris Hall.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think we've been we've been waiting for Yeah, we've been waiting for Texas to be back as long as we've been waiting for Texas to find a running back consistently. So now if you're asking me who am I picking who am I betting on, I would definitely pick Brice Hal over Bejon Robinson. Even if the ceiling is higher, it's just more of a proven commodity at this point. So anyway, let's move on. Let's go next question. Okay, you tell me where do you want to go. Let's talk about the Sabin question. We got it from Justin and he says, what is the ideal retirement scenario for Sabin? Does he win one more, go off into the sunset, get a cushy TV gig. He's pretty good on TV by the way, just good throwing this out there, better at coaching, better coaching? Or does he coach until he can't anymore because he can't imagine doing anything else. So a couple different ways that you can approach Justin's question. He says, what is the ideal retirement for Saban? That is a subjective question for Nick Saban, what is ideal for him? I find it hard to believe that Nick Saban's going to be satisfied doing anything other than coaching. I agree, he seems like he would be miserable around the house doing household chores, maybe just doing the TV thing that urban's been doing the last couple of years before he caught on with the Jags. So if from my layman's perspective, I think the ideal for him as a man would be to just coach until he can't anymore. It seems like he's a dude. I don't think there's any sort of elegant way to do things. I mean, we saw.
Speaker 3: We've seen guys at major places, bigging on Power five programs say okay, it's May, it's June. I think Bob Stoops retired when I was on my honeymoon had to be like TI get somebody. I don't think I have an Internet connection in Santorini. Yeah, there's no right way, there's no best way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't see a Nick Saban situation because he's so competitive that he is going to retire after winning a national championship and put his successor, especially if it's somebody internally in a really bad recruiting position where all of a sudden, guys are asking out of their letters of intent and it's not great for them the way Bob Stoops did it, where he didn't do it until June, and so guys were sort of locked in with Spring practice and you know, much further along the road that in that process. But I think that's what we'll probably.
Speaker 1: End up seeing.
Speaker 3: And maybe Nick Saban's going to stay on in an advisory role, but no, I think Nick Saban will know when whenever it is that he doesn't feel the juice to recruits, to coach, to be at practice, to be the person that pays that close attention to every single detail, he just be like I'm out, or his health will dictate it, something will dictate that. He is just like, nope, I'm not giving everything I have, so it's not worth it and he'll just leave. Now, will it be a situation like Steve spurriy or middle of the season, I say no. I think he will be able to muster. If he's physically able to. He'll coach out whatever his final year is, unless there is something, you know, physically holding him back. But now I think it's going to be much closer to Bob Stoops, where he is just going to be in the doldrums of the offseason and just realizes he doesn't have the capacity to dig as deep as as he demands of himself and he'll be like, yeah, that's that offensive coordinators taking over whatever?
Speaker 1: Could Could it be an nil kind of thing? Because we just saw coach k from Duke decide that he's going to hang it up after this year. Reportedly, one of the reasons, or one of the accelerants, let's say, in that decision making was the NIL and the variables inflicting reports on that that he had been boths he had been supportive of publicly anyway supportive of the changes. You know, obviously basketball is a lot trickier with fewer roster spots and all the how transfers affect a basketball roster, maybe more so than football, because there's only so many guys you can lose before you really have to start panicking. I don't think it's it's a clear analog, but obviously these are two all time great coaches in their sports. But no, I just don't see Alabama being especially affected by things like that. They've they've been able to you know, they lose coaches every year and they restock no problem. They release transfer his top level transfer, they restock like Nick Saban just has been so ahead of the curb and able to roll with a pretty extreme and drastic changes throughout the year. So I don't think that's that as being something that affects him. No, And that's the thing I was thinking Joe paternal all right, Joe Paterno should have retired long before he was eventually forced out. I'm not going into all that, but just a from a football coaching standpoint, Joe Paterno got to a point where everything he was doing was stagnant. There was no creativity. You'd bring new guys in here and there, but it was ultimately the same thing that he ran for fifty years. Nick Saban doesn't do that, just disrespect to the spread. HD just disrespect Nick Saban doesn't do that. Nick Saban has turnover every year. He changed his entire system like eight times. This is a guy who's very adaptable, and so it will certainly not go that way for Saban. It's it's ultimately gonna be when he decides that he wants to hanging up. He will remain successful for as long as he's there. Yeah, he just he will signed the best recruiting class of all of all time. So it's not like he is taking his foot off the gas. There are no signs that he is at all slowing down, that he enjoys it any less. If anything, I think he would enjoy lifeless if he weren't, you know, doing this so.
Speaker 3: Well, most ruthlessly efficient scoring offense of all time. I believe this past fall with Mac Jones a first year full time starter. Yeah, okay, Hoover.
Speaker 1: Street signs of wear and tear Hoover Street rides in. He says, does Michigan have a reasonable head coaching plan B? If things don't turn around for Harball? Do they have a reasonable plan B? Right? This is the operative question if you are a Michigan fan, If you're Michigan brass. If not Harbaugh, then who Well. I was just going to paraphrase Stephen Godfrey, longtime friend. Every ad has a piece of paper in their desk of calls they will make of guys they have begun to vet or even think might be a good fit. Should a coach do something to get fired, should a coach leave for another job, should a coach just decide to retire for whatever reason out of the blue. Every ad has that, and there's no reason to think Ward Manual doesn't have that. And a good reason also is he nailed the basketball higher. Juwan Howard right, as far as I can tell, has been very well received and has had a lot of early success as the Michigan basketball coach. So he nailed the basketball hire.
Speaker 3: So there's no reason to think that he is not on top of things as it relates to the Football of the Future program if and when Jim Harbaugh is no longer the head coach there. So they do have a backup plan. I think they have a plan ABCDEFG and time will tell when that piece of paper will be taken out of Ward Manual's desk, but they do absolutely.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, though here's the one caveat to that, and I don't disagree. Of course, everybody, everybody at that level has to have that piece of paper in the desk. I am going to draw a very crude comparison here to the time that Notre Dame hired Charlie Weiss. Okay, if we could go back way yonder, thank you, Let's hop in the time machine for a second. Notre Dame brought Charlie Weiss on under the pretense that he was going to be the savior of the program. Charlie Weiss didn't like say anything to try and dispel that notion. He kind of steered into it and delivered on it early, delivered on it early, sort of led to his undoing in the end. We won't go into that whole rigamarole, but that was they brought him in under that pretense that he was going to be the savior of the program, as did Michigan with Jim Harbaugh. Jim Harbaugh has been fine for the program. He's certainly been better for Michigan football than Weiss was for Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: M HM.
Speaker 1: But there is no getting around the fact that if they move on beyond Harbaugh, it will be a letdown for Michigan fans, brass you name it, boosters will be it will be felt as a letdown. Well, it'll be. Yeah, it'll be disappointing that Harbad didn't. It will be very disappointing, very disappointing. And I recall even when I knew that things are going sideways for Weiss at Notre Dame, even though I knew they had to move on, it still felt disappointing and like a big old l when they pulled the trigger and then they hired Brian Kelly, and Brian Kelly at the time was not the sexy higher. He had a bunch of great seasons with Cincinnati, he had been with Grand Valley State. I think it was widely assumed that he was just a guy who wanted the job the most. He was in the running for it the first time. They didn't go that directly. He wasn't Harba, but he was, I mean, just led Cincinnati to an undefeated season. He was a very good coach, but he was certainly not the sexy Dare I say, Charlie Weiss hire right right right, not connected to a name as you just Tom Brady or something exactly. So when they brought Brian Kelly in, I remember feeling a bit let down, like hmm okay, like he wanted the job the most and that was cool, but it's still like Brian Kelly, Okay, how do I feel about that?
Speaker 3: But that's sort of the antithesis, right, that's somebody with college coaching experience, somebody who has like who has come up through the ranks in a in a very collegey way, unlike you know, Charlie Weis, you know, with his experience in the pros for as long as it was there, as long as he was there, and it was just like, Okay, he wins everywhere he goes. He grows as a quarter, as a as a play caller, and a head coach and a recruiter, and he has ascended to because Cincinnati, you know, we're talking about a team that won a lot in the Big East around then he has ascended to the Notre Dame level instead of Okay, here's an experiment with somebody who was a big name and now with Michigan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you think, by the way, it's not it's not a direct comparison between one. But like in Horrorball and Brian Kelly and who might be next for Michigan. But you know, I'm just thinking of it from a fan's perspective. I was really disappointed when the Weisting blew up. I didn't really like Charlie Weist that much as person like he's kind of a jerk. He really was, But ultimately I was hopeful that he could come in with his expertise he had worked with Tom Brady. It's like, oh my god, this is going to be such well recruited, really well at the skill positions, recruited well, it's didn't work out, did not work out. I feel for the Michigan faithful out there, who, if and when the Wolverines go in a different direction, feel disappointed by the fact that, damn it didn't work out with our guy Harbaugh. My only point in bringing all this up, this long winded diatribe, is just that have faith in that piece of paper, because you're right, they did get the Juwan Howard higher correct. I'm sure there are a lot of coaches out there who really want the Michigan job. And just because it's not as big a name as a Jim Harbaugh, a Michigan man, so to speak, it doesn't mean that the next guy can't have success. I don't think there's a very obvious plan be There are definitely good coaches, younger coaches who might want to take a crack at this and could do a great job at Michigan. It's just none of them are going to come to sex appeal as Jim Harbaugh. They're just not well so in the footprint.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you have Luke Fickel, who turned down Michigan State, who has his own Ohio State connections, but it doesn't seem like Cincinnatio.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati guy.
Speaker 3: Another Cincinnati guy who's had tremendous success there. You know Jeff Halfley at Boston College. You have Tom Allen at Indiana, Mario Christaball at Oregon, all of you know, Michigan is a bigger national program than all of these places. If you want to look guys up and coming in the area, they're younger guys. Matt Campbell of course at Iowa State. We've already talked about clones. Even you know Sean Lewis at Kent State. You know, it's it's going to be about fit, it's going to be about the ability to navigate the behind the scenes scene at Michigan, which rich Rod I think early on was sort of undercut if you read a lot about what was going on. He lost a lot of players to transfer when when he was brought in and Lloyd Carr retired. And so it's going to be a fit thing more than anything. It's going to be a vision thing, and it's going to be who's empowered. And it's a problem that Texas has had where like, Okay, this booster behind the scenes doesn't like this coordinator hire this is who they're hiring at this coordinator or this assistant coach, Like, who's going to be empowered, who's going to be able to navigate all of those things, who's being able to recruit, and who's going to be able to say this is the job that I have been working towards and that I want specifically because it has opened up because it is one of the world's major college football jobs. So you know, there are all those names, and I don't you know, Tom Allen would be amazing at Michigan. Is he going to leave for a team in the conference? Hard to say. Generational wealth is a hell of a thing. Who knows, But he's getting paid in Indiana. So I think there are a number of names. Pat Fitzgerald another name that constantly comes up with these kinds of jobs. He just signed an extension. Hard to see him leaving Northwestern, a place that he has built into what it is. But you know, there are those names, are all those there are those conversations. Michigan remains a big place, but it has you know, the shadow has grown deeper and darker in that conference because of Ohio State success. So it's going to take a lot, but I don't think it's going to be I don't think Michigan is going to have to go to their fifth choice now at this job.
Speaker 1: By the way, I like that you throw out Halfley's name for every opening. Big the big Halfley guy. You're a big Halfey guy.
Speaker 3: He is well regarded. Boston College did pretty well this past year, and he was I mean, is he one of the better coordinated Big ten coordinators the past five years? An enormous amount of talent, But yeah, absolutely, I like I like that you're a fan. I'm telling you he's well regarded in these circles. That's all I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: And he was really good on the coach's film room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the ultimate launchal experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he was with the forty nine ers. So you have that crossover with Jim Harbough. That's important.
Speaker 1: I like him too, just not not as much as you, which is fine. It's okay. So you'll get there. You'll get there. I will probably get a question you pick. All right. This sort of goes hand in hand with this U. This is from the real weave. Don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: Okay, what are the top five? College football is better when team X is good? Conversely, which teams make college football better when they stink? This is the ultimate fantasy thing. It's a fantasy thing question, and it's completely subjective, and it is a thing that people will try it out in the off Seaton koshur Watch is better when Texas is good. Klchhaw is better when Alabama's College is better when Miami's good. The one that jumps out to me is USC. I just think for geographic balance. I like a strong SC holding with Oregon and sometimes Washington and Stanley Lake. But you have to have that USC base to have college football be a thing in Los Angeles. I think is a big deal for the sport and we've seen that sort of vacuum, even with other schools having success on the West Coast. It's really it's really nice for the sport when USC, particularly with the charismatic coach. I think it's only happened once recently, but I think that's important, So that would be an answer.
Speaker 1: A lot of people say Miami.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it is environments, Like it's nice to have this environment rocking, It's nice to have a huge game at this school. It's nice to have a big game involving this school. Anytime, Miami is the answer here. And we've heard people say this one before, right, plenty of times. My football's better with Miami good. Again, Sure, it's not like Michigan, it's not like Texas. Anytime somebody answers Miami, they're talking about some of those legendary Miami teams that we saw, Sure at the turn of the century in the early aughts. I don't really care if Miami's good. See I do, and I'll tell you why. And it's a very similar reason to USC. It's geographic balance, but it's also because there's so much talent in South Florida. If Miami is really, really good, and really really good consistently. The assumption is is that they're recruiting and developing and evaluating the best of the best in their backyard and keeping them home. We've seen all of the players leave that area and have so much success elsewhere. So if you're talking about a Miami team that is keeping talent home, you're talking about a stacked college football experience, right, You're talking about a team that is laughably deep, especially at speedier positions. And so that to me is a big deal. And even though they play in an NFL stadium and it's a smaller private school and it doesn't have the fan base size, that sort of archetype of a really good Miami program is I mean, is there another program in the country that when they're good, you understand how they play and what their game is like. And you know, they even the one year recently where they had a spurt a streak of really good football games, they were really fun ty the turnover chain, turnover chain, right, you know, fun and cool and unique in that moment it was. And so that to me can't be replicated when another school is good. There is a certain and they've all tried to replicate the turnover chain. No, I know I'm saying, but they're influential in that way. Who cares.
Speaker 1: I I feel like every time I hear this answer, Miami football is better. It's just better when Miami is well, holl good.
Speaker 3: What do we have hypothetically, if Miami is an a A program, whatever, what do we have? Well, we have a second.
Speaker 1: Team in the ACC that it can be excellent. I guess, I guess I think I miss I miss it does, Sure it does. It absolutely makes college football better insofar as there's a counterbalance, perhaps too Clemson. Yeah, I miss Florida State a lot more than I missed Miami. Okay, I mean they can both be the answer. They both be the answer. This isn't to say, by the way that I'm rooting against Miami, that I have any kind of issue with Miami. But I just I think it's a bad answer because I feel like, more often than not, when people say it, they miss Miami when they were awesome back in the day. Sure we all do, they were they were awesome back in the day. I just don't think that's the best answer here. I don't know if I could tell you year.
Speaker 3: In and year out, I'm not talking about national championship contender Miami. I'm talking about year in and year out, ten and two Miami with killer receivers and running backs and safeties and corners and an edge rusher that just year in and year out. Though these are like first second round talents, and year in, year out, they scare the bejesus out of Dabo Sweeney. Year in ch I'm okay, we get shots of Dabbo on the sideline looking frustrated, angry, and overwhelmed by a loud Miami crowd with players on the other sidelines howling with laughter overbeating Clemson. You're telling me college football is not obviously more fun in that situation.
Speaker 1: We could It's a counterpoint, counterpoint to Mount Point. If we could get that version of Miami, just that super chippy yeah version of Miami that we saw back in the day, that would serve as the counterbalance to Clemson, that would really get in Dabo's kraw. You have really in Dallas craw Dobo. Yeah, Dabbo would hate it. I just don't absolutely hate it. I just don't think we're there. No, we're not there.
Speaker 3: But I'm just telling you, if this is a hypothetical question about the teams that would make college football more fun.
Speaker 1: It would be more fun with that version. Yeah, the weirdest answer I've ever heard this question is Michigan State. Yeah. I didn't think about Michigan State when thinking about this answer. That's the weirdest one that I've heard. But otherwise, you could you could play anybody. Well, it's totally subjective, right, It's it's who makes who did you grow up with as good teams, And if you're fifty six, it might not necessarily be the same answers if you're thirty six. But to me, I want geographic balance. I want the bigger rivalries of the sport to mean something. So I'd love to look forward.
Speaker 3: To and legitimately not know who's going to win the Michigan Ohio State game or the Texas Oklahoma game, which I guess it's been the case that's gone back and forth some but the bigger rivalries in the sport, I want, you know, Florida Miami, Florida State, Miami Florida, Florida State. I want those matches up to be toss ups. Other than that, you know, I just like good fun football and we can watch every game. So a season isn't necessarily more fun because this one school is good. But if we have a bunch of interesting rivalries and we know about the storylines and narratives and players coming up at random places, that's good bye me too.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing and that we're going to move on is that when you ask people this question, if you ask an Ohio State fan this question, if you ask a Michigan fan this question, inevitably they will always say their biggest rival. Sure, even despite the fact they hate them. They will always say it's better when it's no fun. I mean, it is fun, but I was gonna say it's no fun to stomp a team year and year out for me. Look on the outside, it is fun for a while. It is fun as a novelty, right, undeniably, and we've done it. You get the answer all the time. I'll just speak as an Oregon fan. Oregon has rivals with you know, rivalries of Oregon State with what with USC. There is something nice about butterflies before kickoff, Like it's weird. If you get to a place where you're an Ohio State fan, you's like, well, there's gonna blow out Michigan like, it's more fun when there is that energy in your living room, in the stadium, whatever. And I think USC Miami or my answers with that, I just I don't care if Miami is good. Jr. Seven oh seven one of our verballers. Yeah, this is a dang question here. I don't really have any thoughts on this. The new PAC twelve guy, George what's his name.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna look it up right now, is like Clavi cough or something, Clavigal, George clavi twelve. Yeah, George Clavical, Uh, Clai of Cli of cough Cloud. Let's go Claviical, we can go Claviical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are your thoughts on George Clavial, new PAC twelve commissioner for those playing along at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, has has a background in I mean it was MGM, it was Hulu all sorts of streaming and you know, involved with sports rights and commonversations and contracts and from more of the broadcast angle. I think he was in Las Vegas with all of this stuff with MGM Entertainment, so you know, boxing and stadiums and all that kind of stuff. So there is that tangential connection to sports. I mean the priorities are clear. The priorities are clear in that it's get everybody on the same page, get everybody aligned. In terms of vision for the conference. Competitively, he talked about, you know, succeeding with football and men's basketball, just because it's obvious that those two sports drive the conference's bottom line is incredibly important. There's only so much that a commissioner of the Pac twelve can do in terms of making good hires at important schools for basketball and football. But I think his background with streaming and broadcast stuff and stadiums and helping to get the Pac twelve on the biggest possible stages.
Speaker 1: I mean, the.
Speaker 3: Conference needs to win huge September games. There's nothing much he can do to do that. You know, Oregon needs to beat and Washington, I think is playing Michigan this year. Oregon's playing Ohio State. And I don't think USC has any sort of big marquee September matchups coming up. They have Notre Dame every year, UCLA has LSU. So there's nothing that George Clavicle can do at the moment to drive wins and thus attention for the conference heading into the rest of the year. But broadcast rights, getting the conference on the biggest possible TV stages. So that's ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, whoever has these rights, and you know, getting the conference if it's a streaming package or a part streaming package. Right, the NFL is going Thursday night Amazon full time in a couple of years, I believe. So it's getting the conference to a point where anybody who wants to see a PAC twelve game doesn't just happen to have the right cable package. That is that is going to be huge, and the biggest games need to be played at times where you know, I know people will watch those late games because sometimes they're the only show on you know, those ten o'clock eastern kicks. But if you have a number eleven ranked UCLA playing a number nine ranked USC at the end of the year, probably shouldn't kick off at ten eastern, right, Like, there should be some I think advanced strategy conversations about how to get the most eyeballs at the best times on these teams, because it's a you know, college football is a complete attention economy and whatever your perception of a team is, what the team is. If you're not watching, you don't have a perception. So the perception right now with the PAC twelve is that they are behind and within his powers and within the Office's powers, they need to financially get to a nice place, because the better the conference does financially, it's you know, it's tied to how well the teams do financially, and the better the teams do financially, the more money they have to pay head coaches, upgrade facilities, pay assistant coaches, and compete on some level with the SEC and the Big Ten, the two conferences that are far and above everybody else.
Speaker 1: The example that I use a lot is when Carson Palmer won the Heisman Trophy and Carson Palmer had a great year. Mm hmm. Clearly he was Heisman worthy. Was that three o two somewhere in there. Yeah, he didn't really win the Heisman until he dismantled Notre Dame right on national television at night. Everybody saw it. After that, there was no question who was going to win the Heisman Trophy. That that attention, as you said, the attention economy of college football is big deal, and it's easy for us on the East Coast to overlook that. And I think for yourself. I'm on the third coast here, you're on the third coast again. Yeah, I also think it's it's easy for folks on the West coast to you know, maybe not have that perspective, feel a bit slighted by it. But the Eastern time zone drives a lot, especially in terms of you know, perception. So yeah, I hope he's able to turn it around. I don't know much about George Clavicle, but seems.
Speaker 3: Like a good guy. I thought his press conference, which ultimately means nothing, was pretty good. I thought he did a pretty good job. It was pretty direct and transparent. I mean, here's the other thing. Who has opinions about the following coaches west or east of Salt Lake City Clay Helton, Jonathan Smith, Nick Rolovich, Justin Wilcox, David Shaw, Jedfish, like Carl Durrell, like a lot of I mean, the consistent part of the sport is the profile of your conference's coaches, and right now, there's not a lot moving the needle on the West Coast in terms of coaches. And that can change with consistent winning, and that can change with creative marketing or whatever it takes. But this is where the conference is right now in terms of name recognition, face recognition, personality recognition. There's not a ton for the PAC twelve to hang its hat on right now. How much two people in Nashville or Miami or Columbus know about Jimmy Lake nothing.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It doesn't seem like a lot. This is a fun question that we got from John, which two teams could swap conferences and completely fit in with their new conference. I have answers for this. Do you have answers for this? I do have answers for this. We I think we need to set some ground rules here. It can't be like a Florida Florida State situation.
Speaker 3: Meaning meaning if you to geographically close and similar in some ways that it makes sense if you.
Speaker 1: Put Florida in the SE or ASA excuse me, in Florida State and the SEC is basically the same team. So you can't exactly the same thing. You can't do that. You can't consulting to both programs. I don't care. Okay, you can't. You can't pick one that that that's that I.
Speaker 3: Was I was going to say Clemson, South Carolina because South Carolina will be perfect. It needs the competition South Carolina could use. You know, you already have Carolina teams in the ACC North Carolina, South Carolina.
Speaker 1: So I feel like those are way too obvious. So I started thinking about this a little bit more broadly, and I'm looking for teams that kind of fit into that hybrid role where school in one conference but definitely culturally speaking, could fit into another. And it landed on West Virginia. Ooh interesting, Yeah, on an island in the Big Twelve, on an island in the Big Twelve. Was in the Old School Big East, right, So there's a bit of a cultural fit there, certainly more geographically fit for like the ACC, let's say, culturally could fit in with the SEC pretty well too. Sure. So West Virginia to me feels like the ultimate wild card that we could swap with somebody else. And you're talking about an ACC school then geographically SEC school geographically, I think I think you could swap West Virginia with a Clemson. Okay, I think you could swap West Virginia with uh, what about West Virginia and Louisville a school like a Louisville Yeah, I think the Big Twelve. Yeah, I think you could swap West Virginia with a school like Zuri obviously, so MISSOO.
Speaker 3: Now, I think we can't do return two conferences if I were to do that, if I were to do a return to a conference that we already know that there's some level of fit. I think Nebraska, Iowa State, Okay, I already has the Big ten footprint, right, Nebraska returns to the Big twelve, and I think one of the final times those two teams played is two Big twelve teams. It was a nine to seven game two thousand and eight or two thousand and nine actually brought it up, Ty, can we do an off season Divorceak? We could that you have a seven game?
Speaker 1: Do you have it.
Speaker 2: Fumble, field goal, punt, punt, touchdown, punt interception, passing, touchdown, punt, punt, fumble, punt, punt, punt, fumble, fumble, misfield goal, punt, punt, interception, punt interception, and mercifully end of the nine seven years.
Speaker 1: How did you pull up divorceak that quickly?
Speaker 3: I have two hands, tie, oh, two hands, So that would be my answer. Nebraska, I will state there. What about Cincinnati, Syracuse? I mean sure, so Syracuse to the American sure, it's definitely easier if you start doing this on the group of five level. Well, yes and no, because you still need to find a Power five team who would fit in with a group of five conference, which is not always the easiest and nicest thing to do. But Syracuse is God. I look this up and I'm trying to remember. I think they have not had two winning seasons in a row in twenty years, So that's where're like, Okay, maybe they're not a Power five ish program. They didn't have last time they won three had three winning seasons in a row was with Donovan McNabb in the mid to late nineties. So it's not a program that has always come through in terms of investing in high and developing and recruiting.
Speaker 1: And winning on the field.
Speaker 3: So maybe they're not a perennial fit with a Power five conference. Whereas Cincinnati has done it as a Big East team, they're doing it as a group of five team. And I mean, I think Cincinnati would be a divisional favorite in the current ACC if they're not in the Atlantic, right probably.
Speaker 1: I just think West Virginia is the key. I think you could you go a bunch of different ways on a West Virginia.
Speaker 3: What about Notre Dame Maryland? Yeah, Notre Dame in the Big ten, Maryland back in the acc' if that's a return exercise. Yeah, No, I don't like Maryland in the Big ten. No, it feels weird still. I Maryland has been in the Big ten for years upon years.
Speaker 1: It feels weird. And I still think to myself, when's Maryland playing Virginia.
Speaker 3: When's Maryland playing NC State? Like it just it doesn't fit for me, tie, No, it just doesn't.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: So, if we're counting Notre Dame as an CC school, which we kind of can.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to let's go to here you go. Speaking of specific teams, can Arizona State realistically win the PAC twelve this year? Yes? From Devin so, a lot of experience coming back. They've got a good defense. Eight starters are returning.
Speaker 3: Both of their corners are legit. I mean they're probably like fourth or fifth round guys, but their NFL types they're good.
Speaker 1: I like Chase Lucas. Yeah, that's good. They do not play Oregon in conference play, which is a bonus. So I think there is plenty of reason to be excited about ASU. I happen to see that the over under four win total is nine, which is a okay sizable number. I think nine would imply that, yeah, they're a contender of some sort. Nine wins is a good season. YEP. So at least from that standpoint, Vegas would sort of agree. Realistically, could they Yeah, realistically sure.
Speaker 3: They are a sort of little thing program where some of the games that they've lost under Herm Edwards is like, man, they're just not doing the little things to win winnable games. Like last year against UCLA, I think they fumbled twice in the red zone and they had two red zone turnovers and lost that game. Like fumbled snaps, like very fixable things. And I know last year was very strange. But that's the issue to me because I like Jayden and Daniels. I don't know if I love but I really like Jayden Daniels. I like the running backs. They've recruited at receiver pretty well. They've got some big bodies there. They're in a really nice spot because there's no obvious between who is it Chaz Brewer starting for Utah quarterback this year? I think that's who starting a quarterback for Utah, So that worries me the inconsistencies of USC looking as bad as they looked early on last year against the Arizona schools. I think UCLA, and we have another question here about Chip Kelly in a hot seat, but I think UCLA is quietly pretty scary in the South. I am high on Newcla right now. I don't know how high, but I am high on them. But that is to say, everybody kind of seems like at their best outside of right now Colorado and Arizona, but the other four schools in the division, ASU and the LA schools and Utah there b plus a minus at their best. There's nobody who's obviously head and shoulders above, even though USC has received the lion's share of the hype right now in the South. So yeah, absolutely they could win the conference because I don't think there's anybody in the North right now. Oregon is in a really good place, but they don't necessarily have the obvious answer at quarterback, So it seems to a really nice place. If they start checking the little thing boxes throughout the season.
Speaker 1: It seems totally feasible to me. Yeah, certainly in the South. Certainly in the South. It helps everybody has that achilles heel. Everybody's got that Achilles heel. And it does help that they do not play Oregon in conference play, that they got a bunch of guys back on defense. It's always a great building block. Got a good quarterback. So I don't know, and I think it Limb from lim Win. You always like that Arizona last year against the rival Limb from lim seventy to seven or whatever it happened to be. It was somewhere in there, staying out west frotastic. You mentioned the Chip Kelly question. How hot is Chip Kelly's seat at UCLA? So you noted here thank you for doing this brutal back half of the schedule at Washington, Oregon, at Utah, They've got Colorado, closed out the year at USC and then home against cow So it's not an easy stretch. Was it two years ago you thought Chip Kelly was done? You thought he was going to be like one year and done, you thought, and his heart was not that. It feels like despite the fact that you know schedules have been tough, it feels like they've gotten better or there have been more reasons to be optimistic about UCLA football. Sure, Yeah, they nearly beat They gave away the SC game. They nearly beat Oregon with their backup quarterback. They beat ASU. There are pieces absolutely there for UCLA. I'm dtr has been there forever at quarterback. Their line has gotten better. They have a couple of legit dudes up front. On defense, their secondary has come along. To me, the big weakness with UCLA is sort of the same thing that we've talked about with a couple of other schools, like, for example, Iowa State. Who's in a much better position than UCLA. But who is pushing you? Who is pushing on the UCLA roster? Defense? Is in the PAC twelve down the field? Who is that gravitational guy for UCLA? On offense, they have decent players. They have good players. I like their their tight end. I think it's Greg Dulcech something like that. I always trust a good Greg. But who is who is that lethal weapon? I don't see that with UCLA, And that's that's the concern for me. If we're talking about, Okay, has UCLA arrived as UCLA that team ready to win the South?
Speaker 3: The answer is maybe, But USC has better receivers. Yeah, Utah had the better defense, and his better depth and is recruited to a system for far longer. USC is a higher level talent. ASU is higher level talent probably, but UCLA has the most proven high level coach.
Speaker 1: Of all of those places. And it's really interesting too that that would be the problem for Chip Kelly, right if you love Zach Sharboney, Yeah, but not not having the gravitational player, not having that downfield, not having just that guy. Now, he made those guys at Oregon. M hm, that was why we liked NFL types. Now they weren't NFL types, But it.
Speaker 3: Was Brailan Addison, it was Josh Hoff, it was Jeff Mail, these guys like who were just awesome in college and it doesn't seem like UCLA has even those level guys.
Speaker 1: But figured out a way to put those guys in space and make exciting plays. Yeah, I mean they had d Anthony Thomas and Michael James. Those were Heisman caliber all purpose and running back weapons that look, it's very tough because it was a very specific program he ran at Oregon and he was sort of ahead of the curve offensively, and now a lot of places have caught up, but those players are available at UCLA. It's a matter of Chip Kelly finding convincing developing, crafting a system around them. I think they're gonna be in a good place this year. I think they're going to be a B plus team. Yeah, but I don't think his seat is all that hot, nor do I think I don't think so either. To the point of the question, I think it's I think it's neuche ti. I don't think it's a cold seat.
Speaker 3: I think UCLA fans and administrators want to be and I don't believe this was the ad Martin Jarmond was not the guy who hired chip Kelly. But if they want UCLA to be nine in three ish pretty often, but nothing wild, but they want him to be good. They want him to beat USC every so often. I don't think there are crazy expectations right now. But when you pay chip Kelly what they're paying him, and when he brings the profile that he brings, there is that expectation that they're not, you know, embarrassing themselves. And it's clear that they've improved over the course of his time there, just in a probably frustrating way. There've been you know, game they've been the COVID stuff, there's been the games where they you know, I think they started the season out a couple of years ago and Cincinnati down like twenty five players, like they just they need to build that roster of eighty five capable, pretty good college football players. And hopefully it's now there, but it certainly wasn't those first couple of years.
Speaker 1: Let's go one more football and then two off topic to close, So sure, where are we going? You get to pick?
Speaker 3: Okay, if if Clem's in Ohio State were to lose any game in conference play, who would it be against?
Speaker 1: Just live happy? Wants to know, Just live happy, Just live happy. It it's a far easier question on the Ohio State side than it is on the times In side, just because the Big Ten has more killers. The Big Ten East is tough.
Speaker 3: Are there any sandwich situations for Ohio State or I mean getting a bye before playing Ohio State at home?
Speaker 1: I'm looking at Ohio State schedule, so I don't know about the others, but from their standpoint, I see no sandwiches here. From their standpoint, at least on the conference side, it's smooth sailing unless you're counting the Minnesota game in Week one, which we could have a conversation. Minnesota's got a season. Quarterback defense is probably gonna be an issue this year to Minneapolis, but there's enough talent there. It's opening week, it's a night game on Fox. Maybe you catch maybe you catch him. It's either at Minnesota week one. It's certainly not anybody else until you get to like late October. Yeah, early to.
Speaker 3: Late after Minnesota has developed some nice receivers lightly now, So Minnesota is a conversation at Indiana and it's a look ahead spot. Okay, head spot at Indiana could have that conference station. Also look at a head spot with Penn State on deck. Yeah, but Indiana scared them enough last year. And Ohio State has a buye before the Hoo Hoo Hoosiers. So that doesn't really move me.
Speaker 1: At Michigan to close out the year, I No, I don't think Michigan State's a bodyblow team right now. The week before now, I'd say in order, it's at Minnesota to open the air, and then at Indiana Penn State i'llween weekend. No, Penn State doesn't do them for me.
Speaker 3: In Columbus, either Sean Clifford or a new quarterback not as much.
Speaker 1: You could squint though, and you could make a case for Penn State. Yeah, I mean you could ugg lead up games with Ohio State, but not this version of one. You could. You could squint and come up with Michigan. I don't know who you're gonna squint and find. On the Clemson side, what's there?
Speaker 3: Do they have sandwiches? Do you have their schedule in front of you? I'm pulling there them up right now. Not really, so we're coming up with squint teams. Not really at pit the week before Florida State, but otherwise there's no sandwich there.
Speaker 1: Look at the schedule. No, the toughest game on this schedule is Week one.
Speaker 3: I mean NC State took a week a step forward last year from a crazy down twenty nineteen, and it's on the road. It's not really let down look ahead, but it is on the road.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm just the toughest game on this schedule is Week one against Georgia. That is not an answer to who in conference could be Clemson.
Speaker 3: The best quarterbacks on Clemson schedule, I mean the best one is JD.
Speaker 1: Daniels. But on the on the acc side of things, it's what Mackenzie Milton, it's Michale Cunningham, It's Yeh Malak. That's it. That's it. Those are the two guys.
Speaker 3: That's unless you're like a Kenny pick a guy. No South Carolina starting a new guy.
Speaker 1: My answer is pit My answer is pit God and they just slaughtered pit early killed him. My answer, I don't know who else to answer with.
Speaker 3: Well, somebody asked a question about what Florida State's ceiling is. If Mackenzie Milton is the absolute like explosion that he could could have been at UCF that he has been at UCF, what Florida State's ceiling is? But man, Florida Stake got pushed around way too much. On defense, they did. They hit the portal hard. There are pieces on offense. Mackenzie Milton is an upgrade over any quarterback they've played recently. When he is McKenzie Milton, he is McKenzie Milton physically. They lost key pieces on that defense last year that wasn't even that good. But no, they're another team that doesn't have the are No, they're no scaries on the outside for Florida State right now. They ran the ball pretty well, but you need you need to push Clemson around in the passing game to really really stand a chance. That's when Clemson is lost, when when somebody's able to match or exceed their speed and it just doesn't seem like that's Florida State. So I'm removing them from the conversation right now. But yeah, it's yeah, it has to be situational. It has to be you know, DJU is so down after getting confused and drilled by Georgia early and maybe NC State later in the month. Is you know able to be that team to finally take them down in the ACC But otherwise I don't know.
Speaker 1: We have four off topic questions here that we can rifle through very quickly. Are you're getting Let's get through all of them. Okay, these the first two are for you. Okay, what kind of pans of stones are you using for the conventional pizza oven?
Speaker 3: Go from my conventional kitchen oven. I use a baking steal. I think it's nerd Chef is the brand, But any of the steels will do because they retain I mean it's thermal mass tie. You can go on and on about this, but they retain and conduct heat better than the ceramic stones. What do you want to know? He said, steeler stone? Is that what he asked?
Speaker 1: He said, what kind of pans or stone? Oh in the pants?
Speaker 3: I use a Lloyd pan for the Detroit style pan pies. Lloyd Llow or excuse me, yd available on the should be on Amazon.
Speaker 1: They're really good. They're anandized aluminum. Rank your top five pizzas to make in which college football team is most like said pizza.
Speaker 3: I don't have a comparison. Just give me clacific teams. But I can tell you that if you want me to make analogs and analogies between the pizza making process and building a program, I most certainly can tie sourcing ingredients, paying attention to the process, not getting down on yourself early. A lot of comparisons there. I really I don't go too complicated with my pizzas and pizza toppings. I'm very focused on getting my dough right in terms of how wet the dough is, in terms of how how long I let it sit in the fridge. That's where my obsession lies. So my favorite pizza is probably I make one with pepperoni shaved garlic. I have a garlic mandolin tie and a spicy honey drizzle. That to me is a really nice combination of salty and spicy and sweetness from the garlic and the honey. That works really well with pizza. So yeah, pepperoni, garlic, hot honey, sassy molassie sweet sassy molasses, spicy sweet salty works really well. You know, get the fat from the cheese and the acid from the tomato sauce.
Speaker 1: It's wonderful. Bort. If you have bed sheets made out of cold cuts, what will the cold cuts be? I go turkey. I always go turkey.
Speaker 3: I think it's a terrible answer. Tie, of course, what do you want out of your bed sheet? Ultimately I want to say you can only select one cold cut.
Speaker 1: I want to stay warm.
Speaker 3: You want to stay warm, you want to be comfortable, but you also maybe want a little bit of breathe ability, seasonal comfort.
Speaker 1: Right, So, and you're talking just sheet.
Speaker 3: He didn't mention comforter Now bit a sheet get in because that's the similar texture. Lady Gaga wore like a roast beef thing once, didn't she?
Speaker 1: She did, so roast beef is not a bad answer. Roast beef is pretty smooth. You've seen that used in a practical application. That's the only reason I bring it up.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like roast beef breathes no. Well, no, because it is a fattier cold cut turkey is not a bad answer. I just if we're talking cold cuts, you're either there's a there's a grittiness to turkey, to roast turkey, which I love on a sandwich, and then smoke turkey's smoother, but it also strikes me as a little bit more oily.
Speaker 1: It's but it's not that oily. If you get like just regular sliced turkey, it's not that oily, okay, as compared to something like a salami sama, and there's a lot of fat, you're gonna get greasier, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Sheets, Yeah, for sure. No, that's a much higher fact content. My answer is probably pershudo. I think there is a delicate softness to pershudo. I think it would breathe well because it's cut pretty thick. There's a lot of salt in preshudo. There's a lot of salty texture. Though with this, Oh so you're saying it's pulling pulling liquid out of your skin, Yeah, I think I'm still gonna stick with pershudo because some of your your other porks are thicker cut, your SOAPROSDA, your ca I mean, Capacla wouldn't be bad either.
Speaker 1: If you're in a humid climate, maybe you go pershudo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think protrudo is my answer that that strikes me as the silkiest of the cold cut options.
Speaker 1: I think I go Turkey. I think I go I think I keep it simple, I.
Speaker 3: Go Turkey when I talked into a thinly shaved ham as well. Okay, final one here from Dan, one of our trust for ballers. What's your favorite streaming service? He says, I consider HBO in necessity, but Netflix probably has the most new content, Disney Plus has the most relevant catalog culturally, and Amazon Prime has some real bangers.
Speaker 1: I argue a.
Speaker 3: Very easy answer with this. So we're saying if the examples that Dan used good friend of the show, Dan Klobacar with a dicey mustache, I would say, if he still has it. Yeah, that's true if we are eliminating live sports, because some of these, like what does Hulu, They're a streaming service and I believe they have live TV and live sports. So if we're just talking about a streaming service with non live programming. I think the easy answer if we're looking at it in terms of if you are to be locked in a room for a year, which would leave you the most satisfied in terms of variety and depth of catalog, does that make sense it would be Netflix. I think it's HBO Max because there are so you have endless high quality series. Right if you haven't seen True Detective, if you haven't seen The Wire, if you haven't seen Oz, if you haven't seen the Sopranos, Like you have the Prestige television, you have the movies. Not a sponsor, HBO Max could be a sponsor.
Speaker 1: I wanted to because.
Speaker 3: I'm selling that out of them advertising at solidverble dot com. They also have the They have some of like random series is that are on other networks because they have the same parent companies, so like Rick and Morty. I think Friends is on HBO Max now so in terms of series, and they have movies. So I have been pretty thrilled with my HBO Max streaming experience and variety.
Speaker 1: I just feel like you get more from Netflix. There's more. This is great, more variety, and I agree that the highs are definitely higher with HBO, But lately I've been getting into those like B minus movies that are Netflix only that are just good enough, Like there's a Louilewis in all of them. There's a little bit of Hallmark Channel there where there's a formula and they don't veer from it, and the movies are only going to be so good, but they're good enough to keep you entertained. So for my money, Netflix, Netflix has anything you're into more often than that doesn't have.
Speaker 3: They don't have the well, I guess it depends on what you're into, but I don't think they have necessarily. The depth of the prestige series is maybe a lot of like very like into it for thirty six hours reality shows. They have those, right, and they have like hey here are like this is hot lake House, you like, watch it for seven minutes You're like, Okay, I get it.
Speaker 1: They have a lot of those. They do, but I don't know they do no. I think for me it's it's Netflix. I think for me it's Netflix because there's a lot of again I hear what you're saying on the big budget, top shelf premium series. Netflix has a lot of TV stuff that could hold you over for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, yeah, I mean it just depends on your taste obviously, and Disney Plus everybody says is great. I just I have found in looking through that that there are some things I want to watch, but by and large, I don't know. I don't need to go back and rewatch the Marvel movies I've seen.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I found myself not really wanting to go rewatch Star Wars movies, even if I've liked the specific one whatever. So there's a lot there, and I think it's better if you're also including like children with Disney Plus, but that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Move me as much.
Speaker 3: I just yeah, I think HBO has more of those for me been meaning to watches, and so that would be nice if I were locked in a room for a year.
Speaker 1: Mayor v'stown. Very good, by the way, good sense, per you, very good accents. They did a good job. Okay, thank you one, thank you all for writing in. They made it. We are back. We are building towards the twenty twenty one college football season. Yes, don't forget to follow along on all the social media channels. Don't forget to go out to Verballers Dot com, where you can find all of our Patreon content, including the video for this very episode. You'll catch some of the goofs that I edit out of the audio feed. Not too many of them today, that's true. A couple of little Easter eggs for all y'all, and don't forget. If you are interested in helping out as a social media intern, it is submissions at soliverble dot com. Let us know what you've done, let us know what you could bring to the Table're interested first, definitely in hearing from the verballerhood once more so fun show, Dan. I appreciate your cheese run from the West Coast, twelve pounds of cheese.
Speaker 3: I'll let you know how it goes. I did also bring to the West Coast and back from the West Coast both my baking scale and a bench scraper for making No, okay, that's very light and small.
Speaker 1: You need that. You need to have that with you.
Speaker 3: I did bring a pan back as well from the coast. I ordered a pan to make my pan pies to to the West Coast, and I decided to bring it back because it'd be nice to have another one.
Speaker 1: I had the room. What do you want me to tell you, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hilt and Brand. Thank you so much for coming on back, asking your questions, and for bearing with us here through our silliness. Daniel, stay solid, hey, please