Speaker 1: Calling all my sweeties to the forefront. I'm your host, christ Rna Hazel and this is the Keep It Positive Sweetish Show. Welcome to Keep it Positive, Sweety, the place where we heal, grow and learn together. Belief has a way of asking us to move before we have proof. Jalsa Seymour reminds us to always trust what God plays in your heart, building without a blueprint and believing so deeply in the vision that you move before the evidence ever arise. Today's guest has built one of the most recognizable women's wellness brands for her generation. Jalisa Seymour is the founder and CEO of salt Xo, a premium women's wellness brand that started with handing out samples while she was still a college student and has since grown into a nationally recognized company and thriving community. Her work has been featured in Forbes, Essence, Ink, Black Enterprise, and Vogue. You know, but what inspires me the most isn't just what she's built, it's how deeply she believed in it before the rest of the world did. Kids. Family, Please give a very warm welcome to the founder of salt Exo, Jlisa. Hi, Jalisa, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I feel good.
Speaker 1: You look beautiful.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You look good. You walked down side. Should have dressed, so I gotta.
Speaker 2: Put on a little dress now.
Speaker 1: No, you look beautiful. I love it. I love it and I actually have that in hot pink. So my girl has style. You have pieces. Thank you. So we were both just in London for Wimbledon. Was that your first time going? Yes? Mine too. That's a bucket list for me.
Speaker 2: It actually was my friend's bucket list, Ashley.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: She loves she loves tennis, she loves Paris, and she's like, let's go to Wimbledon and watch tennis. I'm like, girl, I don't I don't really care. She's like, no, let's go. It's an experience. I'm so happy that she asked me to come because I'm going back.
Speaker 1: Yes, same, Yeah, I'm going back right. That was doing the US Open and what was this July next month, So I'm excited about that. That'll be my second time going to you. So, but I picked up tennis during COVID when we had do like the social distancing, but I wanted to stay in shape, so that was something that I could do outside, not like because you're across the port from somebody else that you're playing with. So I was able to do that and just fell in love with the sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my son loves it. I got him a tennis rack for his for Christmas.
Speaker 2: We went once. That was the laugh of back.
Speaker 3: However, however, like I really enjoy it because it's just different. It's different from what I've seen growing up, So especially being a new environment, it's really important to me.
Speaker 2: I want to be in just different rooms.
Speaker 1: Same And we talked about like when we went there, it wasn't a lot of us.
Speaker 3: No us, yeah, literally, and it was hundreds of people there, thousands.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like I'm talk about swarms of people like you like you're just moving through like huge crowds. But it was not a lot of outstairs. So to be able to experience that was something that was beautiful to see. But definitely I want to expose more people to things like that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot of stuff is kind of just been like for not for us, you know. Not. Tennis is one of those sports that like we're just not really getting.
Speaker 3: Into exactly, and I want to just like there is no limit to any space we can be in any kinds of conversations we should be having, like the even to the restaurants and the way that we travel.
Speaker 2: Like I went to Saint Barts a few months ago. I was the only one. I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: And I was I was kind of like overwhelmed because I've never been to a place where I was just so alone. But I'm like, you know, what we need to be in space is like this, like we need to sure, we need to be.
Speaker 2: On the yachts.
Speaker 3: We need to be traveling and living life, see the world, see the world different absolutely well.
Speaker 1: To get started, I want to play a game. We're gonna have a little spin off Wimbledon, and it's called match Points. So I'm going to give you a few scenarios about decisions that may come up that you have to make with business, and I want you to tell me your next move. Okay, okay, all right. So the first one is your biggest launch doesn't perform the way you expected. What's your next one?
Speaker 2: Relaunch it again?
Speaker 1: I know that five hundred.
Speaker 2: Please relaunch it again.
Speaker 3: Why because my customers may have not seen it or received it the way that I thought they would, Like, they don't they're not a part of the investment of what goes into it, the conversations that I'm having, my team, my chemists, like, they're not a part of that, so they're not as invested as I. Maybe, so I might deliver it one time and they might feel like, no, it didn't hit. So I'm going to redeliver it in the way that they can understand. And that's happened before. Like sometimes I think a launch is going to go so well and it doesn't go as well as I expect. It'll go well, but not to expect expectations that I may have. So I'm like, you know what, let me relaunch it and do it differently, put a twist on it. And most times when I do that, it goes well. If it doesn't work one time, I'm going to try again and again and again.
Speaker 1: Period. And that's why you were here, because you didn't give up. I love that Matt's point number two. A huge opportunity comes your way, but something about it doesn't feel right. What's your next move?
Speaker 2: Pray about it?
Speaker 1: Come on now first, yes, first thing period.
Speaker 3: I like to think that that inner voice is God's voice, especially when you have discernment. Yes, because I don't like to commit to anything without going to him first, especially when it comes to something that is going to impact lives. So I'm like, you know what, that's a big responsibility to make sure that I honor him and go to him first.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the first thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I love that, all right. Match point three. A competitor launch is something that looks similar to yours. What's your next move?
Speaker 2: M I've had to make this move quite a few times.
Speaker 3: I stay on track and do what I do because it's very important for me to not think about what other people are doing. Of course, competitors are going to come, people that are going to mimic your brand. It's going to come, and some people might think of it as slattery. I don't, but some people do. However, I think that it's really important to understand that what God has.
Speaker 1: To be is for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, And the room that I'm in is my room, Like I'm not worried about what's on the next room, and He.
Speaker 2: Will make room for you. Yes, So I'm I'm okay.
Speaker 3: Like even if competitors may have like it's gonna happen, but I'm sure God always make room for us.
Speaker 1: Yep. Always. I love that I'm in the beauty space as well with hair. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Then you do something in Times Square.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I had there. I did like the unveiling. Our big launch was in New York Times Square. It was a ball.
Speaker 3: Launch in Times Square is incredible, a dream like right by the Red Stairs.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. Shout out to my team Weston and Shana and the team at RS Jeelorie, we love you. But yeah, to have people behind me that believe in me and will pull all the stops to make it the biggest and best that it can be menialized. So yeah, no, I'm excited about it. But people talk about the beauty space being so oversaturated, and I do believe. I feel like there's room for everybody. You know, and especially if you're doing it with excellence and your product has like a superpower like you something you're really hounting in on, I think that there is space for everyone. I mean, I just that's how I feel. But like you said, like your lane is your lane, your room is your room, and what's for you is for you. It's not going to pass you by.
Speaker 3: That's exactly how especially when because actually it can pass you by. If you don't act on it, you can kind of sit on those gifts. It will pass you by, and that I'll give to someone else will So if you're ready, yeah, But if you're ready and I stay ready, yeah, I know that's right.
Speaker 2: You got to stay ready.
Speaker 1: You do all right? Last one match point four. The thing that got you here won't get you where you're going. So what is your next move?
Speaker 3: M my next room. My next move is expansion. Expansion. I am taking so globally.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Is that daunting? Like?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, from starting in my living room in my college dorm to thinking to take my brand globally. When my first idea was to just make one hundred thousand dollars in six years, six years, I said, in six years, I want to make one hundred thousand dollars and seven years.
Speaker 1: You were like like just the.
Speaker 3: Thoughts that I was having, and I was so excited because it seemed so far fetched for me. So now to be eight years in business, I'm thinking, let's take this thing global.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is incredible. I love that. Thank you for playing. That was good.
Speaker 2: That was a good one.
Speaker 1: Yes, great answer. Shout out Shelley. She always comes with the amazing game Shelley So Good. So you talk about starting your company in your college dorm room in the living room. Tell me about that, Like, where were you what sparked this idea? How did salt ex soo come to life from your dorm room?
Speaker 3: So I discovered Saltic Soul because I wanted to use a product that was going.
Speaker 2: To make me feel really good and feel.
Speaker 3: Confident in what I was using, because at the time, I was just using what was in the stores, and I realized that a lot of those products.
Speaker 2: Aren't really catered to the wellness.
Speaker 3: It's just cater to quick fix, get you in and out if it works for your works, and if it doesn't, so sorry, go to your OGGI n And I just wanted to be a little more intentional with what I put it in what I put in my products. So I started to research essential oils and the power of them and how they could heal the body. And I went to a essential oil store. I started making combos with it, and I started making samples and I gave them out to my roommates because I was living in a dorm at the time, and they were like, what did you put in this stuff, because it's very hard to trust someone giving you so to use on your intimate space. But they trusted me and they were like, I need you to sell this product, like I need you to make it.
Speaker 2: I need you to sell it.
Speaker 3: And just me wanting to do something for myself and deciding to share that with other women, which I knew would beneficial to them, that's what sprouted this entire idea.
Speaker 1: Wow, you talk about God whispered the recipes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny because that's been like an iconic slogan that God whispered it me.
Speaker 3: But he did because I didn't have any background in you know, creating a recipe and things like that. So for me to be able to do this, it was only God. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that And shout out to your roommates to say, a girl who believed in me. So what was the next step? I mean, saying that is one thing, within actually doing it is another. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I gave it to them and we had a step show I think it was the Delta's and they were performing and I said, you know what, I know the girls are going to be sweating it up. They're going to be they're going to be going crazy, right, So I I plotted.
Speaker 2: I said, you know what, after this, I'm going to go no no, no, no shade, no shade.
Speaker 3: But I just know, like that's rigorous activity, you know, and you're going to want to freshen up after.
Speaker 2: I love this, You're gonna want to fresh up afterwards. So I was plotting in the crowd.
Speaker 3: I had a book bag and I packed about ten soaps with me and I started handing them out. I said, listen, this is all I need you to do. I'm going to give you my phone number. I'm going to give you this soap. I need you to use this soap tonight, and I need you to give me a review. And I promise you it's going to change the game for you.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They didn't know me.
Speaker 1: I'm a stranger, but.
Speaker 3: I was so compelling and the way I sold it, they're like all right. So that same day, I had every single person similar review via text, and I still have it in my phone till this day. Essays like I've been struggling with this for so long. I had to deal with it in private, like thank you so much, because now I have something that I could use and feel confident that was the start to The Soap Lady on Campus.
Speaker 1: The Soap Lady on Campus. I love that. So you are this newfound entrepreneur. What was it like growing your business at such a young age and where did you get that from? Did you have you come from a family with business acumen or was this something that you just figured out on you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a lot of it. I had to figure out my own with trial and error because.
Speaker 3: I've never had a mentor, I never had a coach or anything like that. I had to learn everything leadership, being a CEO, hiring, firing, I had to learn everything through trial and error because I don't know about you, but me, I didn't come from that. Like my mom was a radiologist, my grandfather was a teacher, my grandmother was a librarian. They were all really solid in careers. But I didn't have anyone to give me guidance on being an entrepreneur. So in the beginning, my family was kind of fearful. Like I was in college, like I was doing pretty well, They're like, you're not going to get a career. I'm like, y'all want to sell soap And they were like, why are you crazy? We spent all this money for you to go to college and you're walking out of here selling so but that faded really quickly because they believed in me so much, like they picked me, like if you could have just imagined a ladder, like they're pushing me up, like let's go. And I think that is a very pivotal part of my story because my family believed in me so much, and as soon as I started to have the passion the zeal to create, they just followed them all and they were like, let's go, Like whatever you need, let's do it. And I learned it through making mistakes, taking big financial losses, major financial risk, hiring people that weren't cut out for the job, but operating in desperation.
Speaker 2: I just needed to get it done.
Speaker 3: So a lot of that stuff came from trialing Era, and I'm just grateful to God that it happened early on instead of it happened in year eight.
Speaker 2: I'd rather all of my mistakes happened.
Speaker 3: You're one through three, come on, that's fine, you know, and more mistakes will happen as you grow. But those like those pillars in my business, I'm able to be strong in it now because I know how to maneuver much better.
Speaker 1: I love that. So let's talk about some of the losses. You talk about big losses, You talk about moments that were really hard for you. Take us through that journey of some of the things that you had to go through, because I want people to understand. They see you now, they see the products that are just selling out everywhere, doing amazing, not to go global, But like, what year one through three, what were some of the biggest lessons you learned during that time?
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, A really really big lesson I learned which almost destroyed my business. So it was Hurricane I don't know if it was Hurricane Wilma.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was one hurricane that really took a major hit, especially in Florida. I'm from Miami if you didn't know, So we have hurricanes all the time. At the time, I was living in Orlando, and I was shipping products out of my garage and my living room, and so I had about twenty thousand orders that I was I made every single bar in my house, every single every single product was made in my house. Yes, every single product was about twenty thousand orders. I wish we you know, I wish we could just show the pictures. My living room flooded. I had my baby in my I have a guest. I I have my baby in his playpen, jumping around my team. My mom is on the computer, my brothers are wrapping up soaps. I mean, we have a whole operation going right. So we ship out the orders. The guy comes up, he picks it up, and we're shipping out in garbage bags because at that time we don't have any like of the totes, we don't have all those resources. He's like, she's put in a bag and he'll come and pick it up. So it was about twenty thousand orders. I'm not even exaggerating. So he takes it to the USPS and about I say, maybe a week or so after that, I get a few emails from irate customers saying, hey, where's my order? Like it's saying it's pending, but it's not going anywhere. So I told myself, I'm saying, well, we dropped them off a while ago, like you guys should have been received that.
Speaker 2: They never received any of the packages. Thousand orders got.
Speaker 3: Lost, twenty thousand orders, every single order, and I'm still not convinced that they got lost. I think somebody is up there bathing in life away listen right now. No still bathing.
Speaker 1: Boleg on the black market. Upset like no, no, could you imagine?
Speaker 3: I couldnot twenty thousand and that was I think that was your two of my business. So I took such a big financial hit, and thank you God for a praying mom.
Speaker 2: Like we have this. We have this group chat called the.
Speaker 3: Negotiators, and we negotiate, you know, and it's not we don't negotiate business.
Speaker 2: It's like we're negotiating.
Speaker 3: With God, like we're talking to God, like hey, God, like this is what we need, like intercede for us. So we had a long chat going on about this, and I recovered everything. Of course, I had to put it back into my business because I was saving, like I wasn't buying anything like I had an ultimate making six figures. But I still I preserve that because I understood that my business money wasn't to take care of my lifestyle. And I'm just happy I thought about that way beforehand. So I was able to remake the product and send it out again. But taking out taking a loss like that and being in a deficit as a fresh business, really it was a major hit. It took me a while to recover from it. But the way that I recovered from it, people were so happy that they were able to support and to see me come out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, So did you have to get online or like write to your customers and say so, I did it.
Speaker 3: I did an email blast for them, and I just communicated. My customers love when I communicate. They love to talk to them and tell them what's going on. And a lot of them, surprisingly were all so kind and open to it. They're like, yeah, girl, we love you, like we support you because they saw me growing up like I started in college. They're watching the journey in real time. They see Yeah, I'm not keeping that private from them like they see me. I think a lot of times when people want to preserve the beginning, the start stages because they don't think it looks aesthetically pleasing, those are the best times to show the groundwork, to show people, hey, like I'm doing this because this is something that is passionate for me, Like I feel excited about it, and.
Speaker 2: People can feel that zeal when you have ye.
Speaker 1: No again, yeah, yeah no, that's so true. That same with me, Like anytime anything would go wrong, I always make sure I drive it home. Guys, make sure we communicate. I would literally be on the computer responding to emails and they like, get out the emails. Yes, no, yeah, Like I'm literally like, hey, guys, thank you so much for your sport. I appreciate it. We're working really hard because I mean, my business started to take off during this administration where Terrace was happening. Stuff wasn't getting here in time. So it was so many different things that I was up against as a new entrepreneur in this space, you know, when it came to merch and trying to learn the ins and outs of everything, and then being faced with delays and people emailing I haven't gotten this, or stuff getting lost in the mail. What it's saying to live it on our end, you know. But my whole thing was make sure we communicate with them. I was like, people work hard, they spend their money with us every single month we do drops. It's like I want them to know that I appreciate that and they are valued. Don't ignore anybody. Like so I'm like, I still go through and make sure the emails me and respond.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, your team gets on you about that.
Speaker 1: They do, and I don't care because at the end of the day, it's Crystal. Hello, Crystal didn't do this. Yep, Crystal got this business and it ain't sitting. No, nobody else is getting drug through the mud. If it doesn't go right, it's me somebody. Yeah, no that I don't care who gets upset about it because at the end of the day, Like.
Speaker 3: And I still answer my dms. Someone's like, hey, I place the order, I'm dming back. Okay, no problem. They're like, wait, I can't believe you actually DM me back. Yeah, absolutely, I will. You're supporting my business. I'm never too big for the program. Hello, never big program. Absolutely, thank you for supporting me.
Speaker 2: And then I get on my team.
Speaker 3: My team is amazing, And that's just a major flex just having a great team. Because every time I'm speaking, or I'm on a panel, what I'm doing, any kind of interviews, they always ask me about how do you build a good team?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's very hard, Like you have to go through so many people and you have to learn how to fire fast a sap because if you don't, you will have to face the consequences for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the long you drag it out out. That's so true.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you have a great team behind you.
Speaker 1: Know me, I'm grateful people always asking. I am so blessed in that area because I know that's what people go through trying to find the right people. People you can trust, people that have the same integrity as you do, people who will work. You know. I get in the trenches with my team. Ye Like when we were shipping out of the office, I was right there with him in the line, come on, let's go, let's we had the trash bags to throwing the box, take it to the po box. That is so nostalgic. Oh yeah, and it felt so good, like I loved it. It was something about actually touching the product, putting it in, packing it with love. That meant a lot to me. When it came to the people who support us. I know, you see people.
Speaker 2: Order from different states, Like what does that do for you?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it means so much because I'm like, wait, man, this is from Iowa. I'm like me right, yeah, Africa that they're asking in African we please get your products like we wanted Jamaica, Bahamas and like we love you, please start shipping here and I'm like, wow, so we gotta go global, baby, global, you gotta go global. Keeps global. But no, I feel you on that. And because I'm from a really small town in Tennessee, to see the places that God has allowed me to go, and then the exposure to even know that certain things are possible. You know. Sometimes I feel like when you're not exposed to things, you don't know that it's possible. So I'm so grateful that now I'm able to show people, Hey, this is possible, you know. But yeah, it means a lot to see all the different states that are coming through. People in the military, you know, I'm like, because they have a different type of have a stickrett for their stuff. I'm like, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: And so you have to do a little bit more to send to them too. Yes, yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: It is. It is now going through expansion because I know this is your eight Yes, okay year eight. Wow, that's a good year. That's a good year. I love that. I want to know through your journey, when did you when were you able to discern that this was God's voice saying, hey go it's time for the next love, It's time for you to keep moving versus like no, I just got to do it because you know, sometimes as creatives and entreneurs, like we're just eager, like when do you know and when do you discern that, okay, this is God telling me to move?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the first thing was I was never a hustler, and I really value the fact that I wasn't because it was never about the money, like the money came. It wasn't about okay, well let me get this so I can get to this point. It was about service and impact. Who can I serve? How can I be a steward of what he gave me? And how can I distribute it?
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: And so as soon as I had that mindset, I mean, the abundance, the overflow happened. And what made me also realize that it was God because he would push doors open for me, like break them down for me, like break them down. It's like I was coming in unqualified for certain things, even for certain opportunities like y'all sure, y'all want me to do this?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, like he will make room for you.
Speaker 3: So I knew that this had nothing to do with me because I was going to be a kindergarten teacher. I got my job applicator. I mean, I had my acceptance letter and everything. I was going to be a teacher. And God said, yeah, girl, that's cute, but we're gonna do We're gonna do something different.
Speaker 2: And I love teaching like I loved it. It was my passion.
Speaker 3: But he said, you know what, I gave you this gift, and your gift is to heal, and you're going to do that.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to make.
Speaker 3: Sure that you supersede any expectations of yourself because I didn't know. Like I told you, I told myself, give me six years, I'll make one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: God said, honey that yeah, yeah, yeah, let me just keep working, keep working. I got the places. Did you keep working? But watch keep working with work? Okay, yes he did. I love that, and I love that you you're the negotiators chat line because it's so important to have like minded people and wise counsel when you're making these wise counsel.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy you said that wise counsel. I have wise counsel. Yes, I have people that love me. I have my mom who loves me. I have a beautiful step dad. I have siblings who would go to war, you know, spiritual warfare for me, you know, and I would do the same for them. So I just I love that I come from that. Like my dad was a pastor and so that's all I've ever known. But your relationship with God is totally different, you know, Like just because you're just a pastor doesn't mean anything. Usually they go hay riot because it gets Yeah it's crazy sometimes, but like, as you get older, your relationship is most important. So I'm just grateful that my family continues to keep me grounded, because as you grow, you can start to lose sight very quickly. Absolutely, yeah, the flashing lights start to flash a little bit too much.
Speaker 1: He start, hello, Yeah, yeah, come on back down. Family would keep you grounded. The right people will keep you grounded. God will ground you. If you need to, oh and sit you down.
Speaker 2: I would hate. Oh that's the worst, the.
Speaker 1: Worst ground and yeah, yes, yeah, so definitely that's so true. When you are accelerating at a fast speed, sometimes you can lose sight of things. But I love that I have a family that keiston ground. I talked to my dad every single dayful FaceTime, and like he has this group of guys that he hangs with every day and all FaceTime and they're in the car with him. I love. Yeah, the community is so important, and I think that a lot of times the right or wrong community can like determine your outcome in your future. Right, So just grateful for the people. Yeah somebody, Yes.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you it matters.
Speaker 3: I need everybody next to me. I need them to leave me and say, Julisa was one of one of those ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of those ones.
Speaker 3: Like she made a positive impact on my life, even if I had to like be stern and tell you, hey, like wake up. I need you to be your best self. Yes, I don't mind, Like I don't mind getting in the field and letting my team know or let my family know, letting my sons know. You better than that, And I'm not going to accept anything less.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: You need that, Like I want.
Speaker 3: People to feel like refreshed. I don't want people to feel depleted, Like I'm really big on that.
Speaker 2: Don't deplete me.
Speaker 1: Come on, because you care so much, Like, yeah, how does it feel because you have two sons, you're an entrepreneur, you are doing all the things, you travel, you have a very busy life, but you're also constantly pouring. When are those moments where you're like, all right, I need a moment, a moment, and what do you do to refill your cup?
Speaker 3: You know, it's so crazy. I was talking about this last night because I've been really busy lately. I've been just back to back, which is a blessing. God is amazing. But I haven't had time in a long time, and I need to make time.
Speaker 2: I actually do.
Speaker 3: I really do need to make time because I went to one with them, but it was so fast paced, so I didn't get to three years just relax, So.
Speaker 2: I need that time. Like, I'm going to make time at least within the next four days. Good to sit down good, Yes, And what that looks like for me is literally sitting down nothing. I don't have to be entertained.
Speaker 3: I can sit down and get a blanket and watch my show and it's so happy.
Speaker 2: I can feel so full. Reading me a nice book and I'm.
Speaker 1: Good to go. I love that. Right now, I have the Sweetie Social Club and we have a book club and we're reading The Company We Keep by Alexandra l Oh.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So if you need to do that, yeah, it's so good. It's really and we talk about keeping good company, so it's perfect. But yeah, that's what the book we're reading this much.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice. Yeah, but it's so crazy Malone, she has hands.
Speaker 1: That's my that's my sister. Love her. That is my sister.
Speaker 2: Down that is my one of the group chats I have.
Speaker 3: It's her and Donnie like we're like, yeah, we are like the amigas, and so we just.
Speaker 2: Always just pump each other up. Those are my girls.
Speaker 3: But shout out to you, Yes, she has pants. That says bad morals corrupt good character.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, Oh my god, she gave me the the wool pea coat. Yeah, and red was about it. Yes, I watched that up real bad.
Speaker 2: But you came through you.
Speaker 1: I got you, you got I got you. But no, that's so true. Yeah, and it's Bible. You know that he does. And it's funny because a lot of times we don't think about it that seriously, but like it literally is in the word that bad company corrupts good morels and people that here around will folks will mess up your decisions. They can have a great impact or bad impact on the decisions and choices that you make daily. So it's so important. Was there ever a season where God showed you something that did not match what was right in front of you, where you were like, how how are you about to a good way or in a good way? Where he shows you like a lot of times, like for me, God has shown me things. I'm like, you sure, because what I'm seeing in front of me, I don't see how I'm about to do this. Yes, but he's planning something inside of me, and I'm like, all right, I'm gonna trust you.
Speaker 2: Such a good example.
Speaker 3: So last year we grew one hundred and thirty seven percent in one year, come right. And at the time, we were bursting out of the seams of my warehouse, and I was so comfortable in the warehouse. It's like, dang, like I've been here for five years. All of my inventory is here. In my mind, I'm thinking it's going to take.
Speaker 2: Me forever to move this warehouse. It's so much inventory.
Speaker 3: And I had also at least another warehouse beside it because we needed more space, and we were bursting out of the seams of that one as well, so I didn't have okay, so I didn't have any space, and so I'm thinking to myself, well, how am I going to be able to move that way? My business isn't suffering, I don't have to close up shop, and my team isn't out of work because I have to think about all those things going days with the move and things like that. So I had a conversation with a banker and he just randomly was like, Hey, do you want like a realtor. I'm like, not really, but I just said yes because I didn't expect it. I wasn't So we just connected and so he's like, hey, like, I'm going to stop by the warehouse and I just want to know, check you out and see what's going on. So he came by, He's like I can help you, and I'm like, I wasn't asking for help. I wasn't asking for anything. He's like, I can help you like I need. I'm going to find you.
Speaker 2: A space because you need.
Speaker 3: You need a space, like you're struggling right now. I can see that.
Speaker 2: And so shout out to William.
Speaker 3: He is an amazing, amazing person, great realtor in Orlando, and he helped me find my current warehouse right now, and he did that without me being a part of it, like because I was working on the internal structure, and so he's like, Hey, I'm just going to hit the ground running. I'm just going to go find spaces. I'm going to FaceTime you when I'm there. I didn't know him from anywhere. I'm going to FaceTime you. I'm going to show you these spaces, and then when you have time, come pull up. We can look at the best options. And so I found a really good option. And when I did, this is where God was showing me, like this is going to be for you.
Speaker 2: They did not want to give me this space.
Speaker 3: They didn't want to they didn't want to even have a conversation because I was the only young entrepreneur on the street. It's a family owned street, so it's very like you have to be grandfathered in. And they were very doubtful of why and how, but God, so I was. It took about four months of negotiating, handing over financials, all kinds of things, just to prove myself. But with humility, I don't mind, Like, Okay, I don't mind improving myself.
Speaker 2: I don't mind. I'll show you what you need. What documents do you need me to show you? Cool?
Speaker 3: I got them, and so I did that and they were really astounded, like what you know?
Speaker 2: And so I was able to get it.
Speaker 3: But I just think that me being able to have the opportunity to get that warehouse, it's massive. But I didn't see it for myself, like God had already like laid it out for me and he opened up the door like I was telling you, like he'll break down doors. Whatever.
Speaker 2: I had in my mind that fear of how am I going to do this? How am I going to do that?
Speaker 3: My team moved my warehouse in one day and I was I was in Saint Bart's they moved my team. I was on a yacht in St.
Speaker 1: Barts with all the white people.
Speaker 3: Literally literally I was on my own yacht I had, but it was just it was just like nobody in sight. And they were like, yeah, we got it. When you come back, you'll be moved in. They had my office ready everything everything.
Speaker 1: I don't know where I was. They happened to you when we moved here, Yeah, they just yeah, And that was something like they just literally God. I was spending like crazy amount of money at this other space and Tyler called one day and was like, what are you what are you doing? Come home? And I was like that saint less, I'm on the way, and we literally finished out our lease there and came over here. But I remember I was out of town and they just handled everything. But shout out to a good team. But I'm sure in that moment goes back to having a good circle. You had Milan who had done this before, so I'm sure you were able to lean on her to say, hey, sis, like, all right, I'm about to get this space. What am I getting myself into? Was she able to give you good, good advice?
Speaker 3: So I told them afterwards, I don't tell them. I didn't tell anyone. Really, I didn't tell anybody. I told them when it was done, because when I'm doing big things, a lot of times I just like to do it. I don't want to like sometimes I'll lean on my friends, but I just like to get it done. So I worked. I worked on it for four months, and then when it was done, I called her. She was freaking out.
Speaker 2: I'm so.
Speaker 1: She was screaming on the.
Speaker 3: Phone as usual. So I was really happy. But my sister, she did that, she moved it.
Speaker 2: We didn't go a day with any delays.
Speaker 1: She moved them in.
Speaker 2: She purchased the Wi Fi.
Speaker 3: She put hot She put hotspot on her phone to have orders be shipped out at the new warehouse.
Speaker 2: She's incredible.
Speaker 3: Like if I talk about this girl too much, I'll start crying on this podcast. She literally got a hot spot, like set it up so that we didn't have any delays. She brought in about three of the employees, her best employees for the floor. They shipped out everything. There was not one person that had a delay in orders. They were working, no a c we had fans.
Speaker 2: She had it all set up. She's like, just enjoy.
Speaker 3: Like She's like, you worked hard, enjoy, Like you got to have people that are happy to see you enjoy.
Speaker 1: Because you needed that.
Speaker 3: I needed that and that was that was the last time I rested. I needed that shout out to She is my Aria knows, that's my girl. JJ is amazing. Everybody loves her. She's so sweet. You'll see her on my page all the time. But that is my that is my girl.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's so important. That's listen and that was I feel like that was also God showing you resty know. It was Tasha Cobbs that came on here, and she said that, yeah, when you like knowing that when I'm resting, I can trust that God is going to handle it. And he made sure that you had your sister and her best team to make sure that everything was smooth while you got the rest that you needed.
Speaker 2: I'm not anxious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I worry exactly, not afraid of it.
Speaker 2: Are they going to do it correctly? I'm sleeping like a baby's.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's so good. I'm happy for you. That's amazing. You have a very undeniable faith about you. I can see it, especially it's evident in your life. For someone who doesn't have that level of clarity yet, but they know that God is pulling them to do something bigger, how would you tell them that they should go ahead and cultivate that from where they are, because that's exactly what you did. What advice would you give them.
Speaker 3: I'm really big on not waiting for a perfect moment or a perfect time, or for things to look like they're prepared. Like, you have to be steadfast, you have to work, you have to be patient. You can't expect for things to just flow the way you expected to in the beginning, like they'll be bumps in a row. But I think sometimes when people look at social media and they just see someone just soaring, but they don't know the story, Like you don't know.
Speaker 2: What they sacrifice to get where they are.
Speaker 3: You don't know what they compromise to get where they are, Like, you just don't know. So it's really important to just stick to what you want to do and not really look at what somebody else is doing, Like we talked about before with competitors, like, no, just start exactly where you are and it doesn't have to be perfect. I started in my dorm room. I was taking pictures outside. My background was grass, and I had a picture. Come on, I literally had a soap. I put it right there.
Speaker 1: Aesthetic.
Speaker 2: There you go, grasso.
Speaker 1: Yes, you said you gave me.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what I used my iPhone. I had some grass.
Speaker 3: Lucky if I get a bush, get a bush, take a photo, and yes, we love it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so pretty.
Speaker 1: I love that you use what you have. Never wait for the perfect.
Speaker 2: Don't wait so perfect it doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. Yeah, that's so true. You talk about sacrifice and the bumps in the road. What was one of the biggest lessons or mistakes that you made early on that you're grateful for now.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the biggest lessons I learned was to take space for me because I just had a baby. My second year of Salt, No, actually my first year of SALT, I had a baby and I experienced postpartum really really bad.
Speaker 2: It was awful. It was awful, awful, awful.
Speaker 3: And I didn't take space or take time for myself because I didn't recognize with the sadness I felt. I couldn't recognize it because I had never experienced it before, and my mom had never talked to me about it before. I don't think she experienced it. So I was under a lot of pressure. My business was growing really fast. I was also grieving my grandfather who passed away like a month prior to beginning birth, so it was a lot of compounding effects. And as soon as I was able to realize how much I wasn't a thick of it, I said, you know what, God, let me sit down for a minute. And that's when my family had to take over and I had to sit back because it would be days. I'd wake up and just sit in the closet for hours in the dark and couldn't get up because I didn't know how it takes so much from you, especially like having a child and you know, just feeling like the sadness and you don't have anyone to talk to about it, and I didn't recognize my own feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the wost pardon was debilitating.
Speaker 3: For sure, and I'm just happy that I didn't let it consume me and I tried to do this, let me just be strong and get through it. No, Like the only thing that really brought me out of that dark place was prayer.
Speaker 1: That was all.
Speaker 3: And sometimes you don't want to hear that when you're having a really hard time, like, just pray through it.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you that language.
Speaker 1: So that's all I had to do was get.
Speaker 2: On my knee.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I would just lamit in the closet, that's all I could do. But that's what really helped me overcome it. And I'm just glad that I experienced that earlier because now I know how to better take care of myself and how to recognize, Okay, well, when I'm reaching a point of feeling consumed with emotion, I'm not just going to pass it by and just work through it. Like you know, I'm going to take care of myself, and that's important especially with women in business, especially black women in business, having such severe stress and being the person who has so much responsibility and you're doing it by yourself. You might just feel like, Okay, well, I can just keep on going, and then later on you're realizing you're having headaches, migraines, strokes, you know, heart attacks because you've internalized all of that stress.
Speaker 2: So now your body is trying to catch up.
Speaker 3: So I'm just learning, like to take care of myself better, and like we talked about earlier, I'm going to take a good four days to sit down somewhere, get a nice blanket, and relax.
Speaker 1: Because I'm not going backwards. Yeah, I love that. I love that. I want to know you said that you didn't have a mentor you didn't have the blueprint. At what point did you realize that you weren't searching for the blueprint anymore, that you actually became the blueprints? Come on, no, wait, I love that.
Speaker 2: Love that was that was beautiful.
Speaker 3: I think when I realized that I didn't really have to seek when people were coming to me and saying your product did this, and I will never be the same. I had a woman come up to me I did an event last year. She's like, you saved my marriage. Wow, I said what.
Speaker 2: She held my hand.
Speaker 1: I have video.
Speaker 3: Milan actually took the video crying. She's like, you saved my marriage. I remember there was a time where I couldn't have intercourse with my husband because I was just going through so many things. My wound was going through a lot of things, and your soaps have helped me tremendously heal my body. And I was just like, God, it's so much bigger than me. It's so much bigger. It's so much bigger than soap. Like that's why when people ask me about or what someone else could be doing or what people it's not sodic, So like this is the purpose is God I'd given. I couldn't duplicate this, Like I didn't come from this. So when people come up to me and ask me and tell me how much my products has impacted their lives positively, I knew I was on the right track, Like this was all this was planted inside of me.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it was planted. Literally, It's so funny. You just touched on this our theme every season we have a new theme and it's this season is purpose and you just said the purpose was God given. Yes, my goodness, that that right there. It's so deep it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is because I don't I don't think that we understand a lot of times what our purpose is, and we find we try so hard to seek and find it. Sometimes you have to sit down, spend time with God and let him talk to you. Like, but when your mind is so clouded, you can't hear anything. All you hear and all your thoughts, your doubts, your questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stop question then yes, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it gets louder than his voice, and I don't ever want my voice to be louder than his. Yeah, you know, I don't need him to interced every time. Yeah, hold on, uh huh, let's do this this way.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm like, okay, Daddy, gotcha. I know that's right. I love that. I love that, Julisa. I have thoroughly enjoyed this conversation with you. I can literally talk to you all day. Yeah, we're going to exchange information after this because I want to check on you to make sure you take those four days. Yes, I need it, because, like you said, you can the doubt and the thoughts start to cloud your mind. You need that clarity, You need that time for yourself, just so that you can be at peace and really hear what God has next to you. Because I know it's some big things. Honey. Yes, I really do. I'm so proud of you. Thank you, Yes, thank you so much. Is there anything that you have coming up that you want to tell us about that we can support you on because we want to get behind you and everything you have going on.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we will be at best best. We are a premier sponsors, so we're going to have the biggest boof there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's going to be.
Speaker 2: That's huge, full activation. It's going to be wonderful.
Speaker 1: We've been working really.
Speaker 2: Hard on it for a couple of months now.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: We just launched probiotics and our slippery elm on our website, so I'm excited about those launches.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that. Make sure you guys check Lisa out, follow you on Instagram, soft exo, and make sure you purchase all her products period. I love it. You better be on it. I love that. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, come back anytime. Oh, I will okay, perfect, Thank you, thank you, Yes, sweeties. If today's conversation reminds you of anything, I hope it's this. You don't have to have all the answers before you take the first step. Purpose doesn't always come with proof, and if God gave you the vision, trust that he'll continue giving you what you need for the journey. De Lisa, thank you so much for spending time with us today and for reminding us what it looks like to build a life that is rooted in faith before anything else. And thank you, sweeties for tuning in. If this episode encouraged you, inspired you, or made you think a little differently, be sure to subscribe, leave us a comment, and share with someone who's waiting for a sign to start. Until next time, keep you positive, speaking