Speaker 1: With Robinhood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs, trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood.
Speaker 2: Trading crypto involve significant risk. Crypto trading is offered through an account with the Robinhood Crypto LC. Robinhood Crypto is licensed to engagement virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services Crypto Health thro robin Hood Crypto is not FDIC insured or SIPC protected. Investing involves risk, including loss of principle securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer.
Speaker 3: Traditional businesses, they don't let their artists participate. They're helping us build a brand, build a company, and we make sure we do business with them accordingly. You know, as you're scaling raising money, you know there's all these different pots and you know we're generating money on that level. But they're they're the ones that are supporting it. They're the ones getting behind it, they're pushing it. They put phase in front of their name, and that really means something from a business perspective, making sure that they participate in the company.
Speaker 4: That's that's the major thing.
Speaker 5: My graduates from my school being forced back and drops drop Mike, drop back, drop drop.
Speaker 6: So, first and foremost, thank you guys for coming. We appreciate youall. This is gonna kick off of a crazy three day event. We're gonna talk about tomorrow a little later, but today we're gonna focus on what we're about to do, and I just want to kind of just give you guys the run a show of exactly what's gonna happen. So we're gonna have a dope fire side chat with Kyle Henry. Then Ally is gonna have a panel about building wealth, and then it is gonna be you know, networking vibe. We're gonna have art and it's just gonna be a whole night full of just good energy and good vib Shout out to my brother nineteen Keys in the building. Of course, the legendary Many Fresh will be closing the set. But shout out to DJ oh Soo for holding us down in the open and said she was k yeah, yeah, she was rocking for sure. So without further ADU, let's get into this. So if you watch market mondays. If you watch market Mondays, make some noise.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you've made some money, watches market Mondays, make some noise. My man set up all drinks is on him today.
Speaker 8: But yes and yes, and.
Speaker 6: So we talked about Phase Clan before, right, if you watch market Mondays, you know, we talked about Phase Plan and I got a lot of inspiration from Phase Clan. They just got a billion dollar valuation on his spec And I got introduced to Phase Clan through my son, who was a gamer. And when I really started to look into that business model, it just kind of blew my mind that these kids was that was, you know, playing video games and video game enthusias can a couple of years later have a billion dollar valuation and about to go public on the stock market. So yeah, that's yeah, yeah sure. So when we had the opportunity to talk to Kyle, it was a no brainer.
Speaker 8: So Ki is a.
Speaker 6: Chief strategy officer of Phase Clans. So we're gonna have a dope conversation about content, about business, about marketing, about all that kind of stuff. So without further ado, Ky Henry all right, So we're gonna, like I said, we're gonna have some fun later on we're going network it's a bar and all of that, but for now, this is about education, so we need your undivided attention. In true ey L fashion, We're gonna drop some gems, give some information, and hopefully you know some information that you can actually take in using your day to day life. So Kyle, first and foremost, thank you for joining us. Brother, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Check check than for having me, yeah for sure.
Speaker 6: So all right, for anybody that doesn't know, he actually comes from a music background. So it used to be the manager for Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, long time ago, long time, Quincy Jones, yes, long time ago, ice Cube yeah yeah, long time, like hall of Fame, everybody's Hall of fan some legacy talent.
Speaker 6: So how did you make the transition from the music business to the game and culture.
Speaker 4: Well, actually it wasn't immediate.
Speaker 3: I think I kind of started that path i'd say ten years ago. So I got out of the music business in around twenty ten, and I was making a slow transition out. But I think initially I understood that YouTube was going to be a really big platform for music in particular, and so around two thousand and eight through twenty ten, I started a company with DJ Ski called Ski TV, which was like a lifestyle you know, YouTube platform where we would do music videos.
Speaker 4: Behind the scenes content, branded content.
Speaker 3: And so I just started thinking about, you know what the digital you know, platforms are going to bring to music. So my first step out of the out of the music game as a manager and UH and and kind of creative sounding board for UH for these artists was jumping into YouTube.
Speaker 4: So I did that.
Speaker 3: I sold that company in twenty eleven to a like a there's a company called karmel Loop, which is like an online street.
Speaker 4: Wear mall in the day. Yeah, Greg Soelco.
Speaker 3: They were raising money to UH to start a TV network, and you know, I think they really understood that they needed some online viewership to support what they were doing. So, you know, they they they wanted to buy YouTube channel. At that point, I was ready, I was willing me and Ski made that choice and UH and then I just transitioned into becoming an entrepreneur and just you know, really inserting myself in different industries that I think that I thought was gonna kind of converge down down the road in the future, you know. So I got into uh, consumer electronics, I helped Monster Cable do you know, do their deal with uh with Interscope for beats by Dre and so you know, me and Ski did that together, and then uh, you know, after that, got into creating our own head for company called Soul Republic, you know, and just really just trying to trying to understand consumer electronics lifestyle products on that level, you know, figure out how to get your product you know, placed in Target and Best Buy and Apple back then, and just understand channel marketing and just honestly just educated myself through through being an entrepreneur. So yeah, got into consumer electronics, got into fashion. I started a brand called a Noir with Rob Garcia back in twenty thirteen, and then I started a marketing company called Milk and Honey back in the day, and so yeah, and that just eventually led me to gaming, right, which was you know, i'd say two years ago. I started having conversations with Lee Trink, who's the CEO of fase Clan. I had met him back in my music days about you know, back in two thousand and eight at a management company he was a partner at. So we just started talking and I realized that gaming was the true convergence of all the things I had educated myself in as an entrepreneur over the past ten years, and so I just made the jump, right, Like I didn't really fully understand at that point, you know, the ins and outs of the professional side of gaming and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I need to educate myself more on that.
Speaker 3: But culturally outside of game, you know, the professional side of gaming, the lifestyle side of it. I think I was prepared to kind of have like a fifty thousand you know foot view of you know, brand like Phase Clan with multiple business pots around it in consumer electronics, in fashion, and merch in content, and so I thought that I could bring something to the table with.
Speaker 4: You know, what I had done over the last ten years as entrepreneur.
Speaker 7: When we met a little while ago, we said, we had this moment. I said, look, man, I wish Phase Clan was around twenty years ago because we would have definitely been in it right, Like we were gamers. What's the difference between somebody who was considered a professional gamer versus the average person who's just playing in the house, Like, what what's the transition to make you a professional gamer?
Speaker 3: I mean, a professional gamer is next level talent that you know, I think I think that we're yet to kind of quantify what that really means. But like from from my seat and just being in this organization, like a real true professional gamer is you know, the same kind of talent with your hands, fingers, hand eye coordination is as as someone that plays in the NBA, you know, might not be with your legs and your feet. But the the the difference between you know, uh, a casual to amateur you know, amateur gamer and a professional gamer is is is a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 6: So when I first got introduced to Phase Clan the reason why I was so interesting to me is because when my son told me about it, and he was he was so fanatical about these these guys that was he's ten. So I started to look at it. And when I looked at it, the word clan was interesting to me because it reminded me of like Wu Tang clan.
Speaker 8: Yes, and I'm like, okay, I get it.
Speaker 6: And I kind of used that as a lot of inspiration for arnal Lisha. I see some similarities and I'm like, okay, this is something that we kind of have to look at. Because when you look at Phase clan. You're not just looking at it as like gamers. They're just cultural phenomenon that transcend gaming. And they have a lot of different like Phase clan jars like Phase Jarvis, Phase this.
Speaker 8: One, and it's like it's like the model.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so talk about that as far as like you being in the business model of it for those guys to actually go out and conquer so many different areas and obviously that's helped them reach the levels that they've reached.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, they all have their own attributes, their own style, their own businesses separately as members of Phase clan, right, so you know some of them, you know, we have Phase Rug. Phase Rus is one of the biggest YouTubers in the world. He's got twenty million, twenty million subscribers on YouTube. He's probably a top two hundred talent, you know, and he's a machine. He does YouTube. He doesn't game as much anymore, but he is a true YouTube giant, right. And then we have you know Nick Marks, who's a gamer who streams every night on Twitch and you know, he streams in front of one hundred thousand current live viewers, and you know he's interacting with his chat, and so you think each one of them brings their own magic, you know, in their own almost like an Avengers, like a Justice League of you know, like Wu Tang clan. Right, Like everybody's got like their own sauce with the you know what they bringing the table as far as lyricism and producing and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing with the FaZe members.
Speaker 7: So what's the selection process because I know somebody's in here like, yo, my son is nice, yeah, and I'm I'm nice yeah. So what's the selection process like to be a part of the clan? And when they come in on the other side, are you looking like, all right, we can build a brand around him or are we looking for talent?
Speaker 4: That's so they've already had an establishment. It's a really good question.
Speaker 3: The selection process is still being refined. The brand itself, you know, was a It's a brand that was started by that you know internet kids, you know what I mean. These four four guys met on Xbox. They were friends for a year and a half playing video games. They had never met each other in person, and then they decided to like jump in the house, you know, and and start you know, gaming together and getting to know each other, but that was like a decade ago, right, and so you know, and they once they got in the house, they started turning the camera on themselves creating content. And really it was really like the first version of like a content house mixed with gaming to ever exist. And so now as the brand's gotten bigger and the business has gotten bigger, the selection process is still kind of archaic. It's kind of still like you know, the original founders, you know, getting in a room and everybody yelling at each other. But but I mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, everybody's got their own definition of like what a Phase members should be. But you know, we're we're we're getting to a place now where you know, like we've got a big initiative called Phase one, which is almost like our global casting call for the next Phase member that we're gonna be launching in January, and so you know, we're finding talent that way. And then you know, again, like I said, the founders getting in the room looking at a list of talent that you know, we've been checking out on Twitch and on YouTube, and everybody putting in on what they think, you know, that person brings to the table to this group and what you know, other abilities they bring as well.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. So it's not just the same you know, same people in the roster. What's that feeling like? Right?
Speaker 7: Because I remember there was a time when you would play against your friend in the house and an a online gaming game, and then out of nowhere it was people actually recording themselves playing the game and we're watching that.
Speaker 4: Right, How does that feel?
Speaker 7: Because like the industry has changed, right, Twitch didn't exist before you guys were doing this, so right, what does that feel like when you know that you're shifting the industry and shifting the world.
Speaker 4: Really? Yeah, I mean it's you know, that's what I'm in it for.
Speaker 3: Like I think everyone on that phase is about innovation and just like learning, you know, this new this new world when it comes to you know, technology and platforms and stuff like that. So, I mean it feels great like every day were we're we're we're being innovative as far as like how we use these platforms. You know, when you talk about Twitch in particular, I mean, it's really like the evolution of like radio. In my mind, it's like radio, you know what I mean, It's like back in the day you used to call into the radio station. You want to give our shout out to your girl or your dude.
Speaker 4: Or whatever, you know what I mean. And you like, you know, the lines busy, the line is busy.
Speaker 3: You finally get through and and that's kind of like what the you know what twitch is like now to to to to you know, this generation, it's like you could jump in the chat and talk to your favorite, you know, talk to the actual person you're following, and then you know, you do a donation, your name fly across the strength screen and they shout you out and stuff like that, and so it's a it's another form of connection with who you're following and really getting that bridge. You know, that's the that's the that's the difference between a traditional celebrity and the new and the new generation of celebrities now is you actually have that kind of built in connection through these platforms where you feel like you can reach out and touch who you who you are following right and who you're and who you're you know, appreciative of or who you want to you know, who you want to you know, spend most of your time following every day.
Speaker 6: So when I when I started on Instagram, uh, you know, my friend Valencia, She's the motivation that really, she really is a motivation for Erno Lisia in a sense because she was the first person that I knew personally that became famous on social media. And she was a school teacher in Baltimore. So that was inspiring to me because before that, the only famous people that I knew was entertainers or athletes. So when I saw a school teacher from Baltimore get famous on social media, I understood that when in the day and age now that anybody can become a celebrity, a chef, a train, even two guys that talk about financial literacy.
Speaker 8: You would have never thought about that.
Speaker 6: So now you got video gamers that have become celebrities, and celebrities actually want to be a part. So now like little Yachty Kyle Murray, sure, Bronni. So talk about that as far as the cultural influence and how it has changed, where the athletes and entertainers are following with just the other people are doing now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I don't know, gaming has been around forever, you know what I mean as a pastime, you know, for for for different people, and I think culturally, you know, now when you have you know, new musicians, new athletes that are you know, coming into stardom, they still have that background of gaming, you know, of how they grew up and stuff like that. And so with a brand like that's been around for ten years, it's almost like a new age legacy brand, right, And so a lot of these athletes and musicians grew up on Phase and they grew up watching our content and following some of our creators. So you know they still Yeah, they become you know, Kyler Murray becomes you know, top number one pick and you know, hopefully m v P this year. Yeah, yeah, you know, and bron and Bronnie is who Bronni is. But you know, I think they still you know, they they they love Phase, They love what it represents.
Speaker 4: They you know, it means something to them.
Speaker 3: And and and again that game and culture is running deeper than it has before.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so when when the brand because you're told them about the musicians, Yeah, I know one of your first now is car Yeah yeah, so.
Speaker 4: Like how how was that right? Because now he's a gamer slash musician.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but he's working with some elite, elite, elite talent. Right after you parted with Little Dirk. Uh So how did that come about? How did that work?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean.
Speaker 3: I think now, like you know, every time I meet someone who's gonna be a new Phase member, you know, someone that's gonna be announced as our as one of our next members, I kind of like, did you know? Me and the head of talent, Darren Yan, who runs all of our talent, we sit down with him and we just see what other aspirations they have as far as their business goes, and what they want to do outside of gaming.
Speaker 4: And so case on you know.
Speaker 3: He he he expressed that he loved producing on the side. He wanted you know, he DJ'ed a little bit, and uh and you know, my, you know, my, my, my old ass like music being kicked in, and I was, I think I could do this again, you know, And so we started talking and and then we just started you know, making music, like honestly right, and I think, you know, when it comes to rolling out an announcement for one of our members, like one one thing we considered was like we wanted to take his brand and it be gaming and music simultaneously. Not you're a gamer trying to do music or you coming out as a DJ music, trying to do you know, trying to game. So we really solidified him, got him stream with a lot of our you know a lot of our members, just solidifying him on the game inside in the meanwhile, this is before announcement, but in the meanwhile making music and getting ready for his launching announcement, and you know, litt Dirk wanted.
Speaker 4: To do some game and stuff with Phase.
Speaker 3: He had aspirations to launch a OTF gaming, So we did some content with him, and we were just like, hey, you know, while we ad it, why don't we make a record, you know, and then we do future on there and just just experimenting with our platforms, right, like not really there's no real pressure as far as like having to have a hit record. It's just like, what's something we want to do. You know, we have our own platforms, our own marketing power, and so yeah, it was just you know, that was kind of yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's interesting, right if he made when he makes the record, and let's say he's on Twitch and a million people are watching and yea, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: A million listens, No exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, well the music industry is figuring out what that means.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, that's what That's what I think.
Speaker 8: So let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the revenue model for Phase sure, because obviously to have a billion dollar valuation is interesting, but there's revenue that's coming in, right, So can you talk about a few streams of revenue that Phase clan?
Speaker 3: Actually yeah, I mean I think number one first and foremost is, you know, we participate with our creators. They have their own businesses, you know, and a lot of it is you know, ad sense driven through YouTube and through Twitch, and we we also have the ability to bring them brand deals. Right, so it's almost like, you know, all of our creators have their own siloed businesses on their own, but we participate in them.
Speaker 4: So it's almost like a label, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you know, I wanted to talk about that because that's interesting. The key with that is unity. Sure, The key with that is unity. I was just having a conversation with somebody. We're not a lot of times we lack unity, and it wouldn't have had a billion dollar valuation if each member was a solo artist doing their own things.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So it's like, you got how many members is in Phase?
Speaker 4: Uh, we're eighty So.
Speaker 6: You have eighty members, and like you said, now it's a collective. Everybody's doing their own thing, but it all kind of falls on the umbrellas. Phase yeah, phase, you know, give them support, but also they're part of the revenue share because they give them exposure. And now instead of one person getting a ten million dollar deal, one company has a one billion dollar valuation. Yes, so there's power in collective economics.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and also powering you know, skinning the game, you know what I mean. Like, like I think for a long time, a lot of just you know, traditional businesses, you know, they don't let their artists participate, you know what I mean. And so they're helping us build a brand, build a company, and we make sure we do business with them accordingly, you know what I mean. That's part of my job is to make sure we balance that ship. And you know, as just scaling, raising money, you know, making money. Other ways we make money is merch, right, Like I see you guys killing it on the merch side.
Speaker 4: So we'll get to a we're gonna get to the version of a set.
Speaker 3: But you know there's all these different pots and you know we're generating money on that level. But they're they're the ones that are supporting it, they're the ones getting behind it, they're pushing it. They put Phase in front of their name, and that really means something. And I think that you know on our on, you know, from a business perspective, making sure that they participate in the company.
Speaker 4: That's that's the major thing.
Speaker 8: Before you go.
Speaker 6: I just want to say something because so now you understand why I've studied Phase Clan. Because if you watch earn Alesia, see the merch you see we have earned a Lisia which is one of the top podcasts in the world. We started market Mondays, we started e YL Network, e YL University. So now you see the pathway to that billion dollars.
Speaker 4: Let's get it right. Just got right to tap it off.
Speaker 7: For that, the valuable lesson is you don't have to reinvent the wheel from from a content creation standpoint, because I'm sure there's people in here right now that are creating content for their brands, that try to build their brands. You got eighty people that are under the Face Clan umbrella. What's that process like? Is there a schedule, Is there a quota that people have to meet? Deadlines that they have to meet as far as content, How does that work?
Speaker 3: No, I mean the great thing about it is, I mean we have our deliverables for our partners and stuff like that. Right for like if we do a deal with you know, McDonald's or you know, we have a deal with Nissan and Beats and stuff like that, we have to we have to deliver, you know, we have to meet our deliverables as an organization. But really for each creator, I mean that's how they eat, you know what I mean. So it's really like it's based off their business. They're gonna like that youth culture, they want to work, they want to make money, you know what I mean. Like I'm an eighties baby, a lot of you know, a lot of yeah, a lot of a lot of yeah saying, but like you know, I'm not knocking. I think you know that generation, my generation. There's a lot that we that we bring to the table as far as being a bridge between two you know, like more of like a boomer.
Speaker 4: Culture and Gen X, but like our gen Z.
Speaker 3: Sorry, but you know, overall, a lot of eighties babies didn't want to make money like that, you know what I mean, Like when you get in your creative bag, and you start thinking about like you don't really want to, you know, It's like that whole artist.
Speaker 4: Earners. What's up?
Speaker 7: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works Like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With INDEED sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to INDEED data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 3: That artist thing right in this generation, they want to make money, and but they there's a very specific way to monetize what they do, and they make sure that culture and their and their and their community and their audiences at the at the at the forefront of what they care about right over over over money.
Speaker 4: But but in general they do what they need to do, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And yeah, if you don't move your feet, yeah yeah, and then yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: So from you mentioned, I want to talk about brand partnerships, yeah, and trying to get understanding of the selection process and trying to figure out which member will blow we'll fit with which brands. So you said McDonald's, I know you had Nissan NFL. You did a deal with Beesbadre. I'm sure you had a part to do with that, being that you were there, you had a DC comic which was incredible. Yes, uh, and then you did a deal with Manchester City, which is a soccer club. So what is the process in trying to find the brands or obviously at this point maybe brands will come to you and figure out which phlease clam member we'll fit with which brand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there's a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't know, There's just a lot of opportunity and ideas, you know, So I think the selection process really comes down to, like, you know, we've got a great head of marketing Xavier Ramos, who like comes from the music business and just has understands our brand. He's kind of like our protector of our brand and he and he sources a lot of those opportunities. A lot of it comes in from, you know, from talent and stuff like that. From the talent that want to be in that campaign or something like that.
Speaker 4: You know, they'll have an idea. But I think, you know, as far as like who we're partnering.
Speaker 3: With, our sales team is bringing in just giant you know, opportunities, and then we sit down in the room's like a red light green light meeting, or we all sit down and figure out if it makes sense for our business. There's two things, the brand and the business, and those two things generally don't go together very well when you're making decisions like that, right, so you have to there's a cadence. There's a cadence to doing enough shit.
Speaker 4: For your brand.
Speaker 3: Excuse me sorry, enough stuff for your brand, and then there's enough and then you have to do what's right for your bank accounting for and for the business right.
Speaker 4: And so that's really how we assess it.
Speaker 6: So talk about managing personally, I mean, it's hard to manage ten people, five people, yeah, eighty people, eighty young people. And that's something that as your business skills, it's becomes more and more difficult. You got stars and they got egos. How is it to manage that? And how is it to keep them focused that no matter how big you get, you still got to be under the brand.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's hard that you know. We have a whole talent team. That's what they do. They make sure they're managing the talent, managing expectations, you know, helping them drive their careers. Like it's a it's a full time job working with talented young creators that they have their own understanding and algorithms that they live by for their business and what they do and and we have to match that. So it's a lot of communication and translation. You know what I mean that is, that's I think the key to success on the outside is just managing expectations, communication and.
Speaker 4: Having a related to trust.
Speaker 3: You gotta have trust, right, So no talent is going to follow you if you if they don't trust you, And so that's that's what we do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one of the big things we had our basel and there's a new form of art right. NFTs have taken over the landscape over the past year. The metaverse is here, right, And we spoke about the metaverse. If we're in the gaming we've seen the metal I feel like we've been in the metaverse. We've been in there, We've been with and Fortnite. We've been in this metaverse, Sims. So, what role does Phase Clan play in the forward thinking of the future thinking of the metaverse in your opinion?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think I mean, look, the metaverses up until this point have been video games metaverse, right, so like Epic you know with Fortnite, you know, Activision will call of duty.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: So I think that you know, we have the innate knowledge as far as what phase plan or.
Speaker 4: Any other gaming organization, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, I think that there's the innate knowledge there where you know, you can maneuver in that world and quickly understand it as a platform, a new social media and what it brings to the table with spatial audio and being able to meet people in the metaverse.
Speaker 4: I ultimately think that.
Speaker 3: Game theory, how to gamify n f t s, how to gamify experiences, uh is what's gonna win and so uh or be one of the main components in the metaverse. And so you know, when you get a when you sit a table, you know, sit a bunch of gamers down at a table and you start talking game theory and why you know, how things should be gamified, it's pretty fun and you get some answers really fast. So I think that, you know, for us, that's that's what we're most interested in. Is like you know, you're starting to see like, okay, the art world really blew up on the you know, on the n FT side, and and and it's beautiful I think, you know, on the collectible side in the NFT world, like people are really understanding that and just experience you get to get through, you know, the way these NFTs unlock you know, a certain like an affinity program or like a fan club, you know, where you get you know, you get access to certain things by holding holding these NFTs. And the next level is gamification and monetization of NFTs. Right, You're starting to see and I'm not saying that these things are you know, I'm not saying these things are the way, but like you see something like Wolf Game, which is a huge NFT project where you're literally gamifying these NFTs now and being able to create tokens and monetize that and use it in the game or swap out for eth A lot of stuff like that that's coming down the pipeline.
Speaker 4: I think that's what you know, that's where we'll live.
Speaker 6: That really ties to a crypto too. Yeah, that's when we got introduced to what was a crypto for games, Tron Tron. Yeah, and now, when I got introduced to Tron in twenty seventeen, I was obsessed with Yeah, that was Troy's favorite crypto for a while. But the reason why understood Tron justin Sun is the guy, right, that's the son yep, it is because I understood how big gaming was, so that was their whole thing is to become the token or the coin for the gaming community and you can use it for games. So I'm like, this is a no brainer. It hasn't really worked out the way we thought it would.
Speaker 4: It hasn't. It's not over and say the least, to say the least, but I was there.
Speaker 6: What you're just talking about as far as the gamification of NFTs, and plays right in line with something like that, because you're gonna need currency to actually play it. And then if there's a native crypto that's designed for that for the gamification of NFTs, and that's like a home run.
Speaker 7: I think we're a great ideas because you're but with great ideas, sometimes they happen too soon, right, So it we'd be like trying to introduce Tesla in two thousand and seven. The world wasn't ready for it, right, But if you look at Tesla in twenty twenty one, yeah, sure, it's past every car company in the world. And so the game why I thought it was going to be a great idea was because I understood the League of Champions and I'm like, we don't play it as adults, most of us don't, but there's a huge population that play it, and they play it on their phone, right and when they're in the game, you're stuck in it and you need you need the top and so is that what you're looking at?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, play to earn, you know, play to earn. That's a that's the future, you know what I'm saying. I even think for like, you know, I think countries are you're seeing it, countries embracing play to earn.
Speaker 4: And and and and.
Speaker 3: Communities being able to create value in an ecosystem through dows through you know, play to earn system stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Like that's what that's actually really important outside of game.
Speaker 3: It's just really important to you know, low income communities and and and and countries that are you know, where where their currencies are are are hurting and they got to figure out, you know, another option.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think, you know, play to earn.
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna you know, uncover new phase members of like when it comes to the talent that's gonna come into play now, a whole new talent pool of like play to earn, you know, like beasts, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So I think it's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 3: I think finding that new world of talent and the metaversus is gonna be fun.
Speaker 8: The e y L coin oh was coming so down. It was just about doubt out the day. Yep. It's crazy. All of these conversations all all.
Speaker 4: Convert Yeah, they all converged, I think, yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Let me ask you this, as far as for content creators, you talked about Twitch.
Speaker 8: Everything changes so much.
Speaker 6: I just even found out about Twitch like this year, and I realized I didn't realize how big it was. And then of course TikTok. So would you guys have so many followers on all different platforms. What are your thoughts if somebody was creating content today, what platform should they focus on?
Speaker 3: Twitch for sure? Twitch for sure. I think Twitch has been a gaming platform up until this point. But you know, just seeing the ways that you can make a business there and and and and get yourself out there and grow an audience. I think Twitch is very important. I think, you know, from a community level, like like just making sure you're communing with communicating with your fans through discord, I think, you know discord. If you're not really you know, building there, you might you know, you just might want to look at building an audience there. Let's see TikTok, TikTok. Yeah, absolutely, TikTok. I mean, but you know, and then and then it's leading into places like you know, again, this space.
Speaker 4: Is moving so fast.
Speaker 3: But like i'd look up and start looking at these different meta versus sandbox, you know, decentraland.
Speaker 4: You know meta when they roll out in a.
Speaker 3: Certain level, like like right now is the time to learn all these platforms and get ahead and really and really you know, educate yourself and and create new brands like doing what's been done. That's cool as a good foundation, but like we we're living in a time that like I mean, this hasn't happened in thirty five years, you know what I mean, what we're seeing, we're seeing a like when those stars align as far as like a financial revolution, you know, uh, you know Web three point a new a new evolution on the web. All these things are shifting at the same time, Like like will you know, start looking at these new platforms and figuring out ways to build things because you know it's to be it's to be you know, identified what what's what?
Speaker 4: Yet, you know what I mean, come up with anything.
Speaker 3: I was like coming off top of the head the other day about something I wanted to do in meta and people were sitting.
Speaker 4: Around like uh huh oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, shit, I'm plitting there like okay, you know what I mean, just being creative with what you're seeing. And but yeah, you know twitch TikTok discord. I think those are I think those are the major ones you just got mitter Twitter for sure.
Speaker 7: Obviously I just started thinking now and maybe this is a plan because I'm thinking about the future growth of the brand. Obviously the ey l House was comes from the Phase house. Shout out to y'all. Okay, but I'm thinking the centraland sandbos. Are we buying digital real estate with the with the plan? And if so, are these type of lessons being taught because I know you have Phase Academy, maybe that's something different. Can you explain what that is and if you're interested in the digital real estate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Phase Academy is just a program that we put, you know, put potential Phase members through. It's ran by Darren Yan, our head of Talent, and it's really just like you know, preparing them for what it means to be a Phase member and have those kind of eyeballs on you and do media training and you know, you know, it's really testing out who you are as a person a little bit more digger, uh deeper dive for us as far as who you are as a human, you know, to make sure that you know it's a right match. So we put them through Phase Academy and you know, we have a lot of our heads of departments come and sit with whoever we have in the academy at that point, from PR to marketing to explain our business, let them know what they're in for right and then again also check them out for a longer period of time, make sure that it's a that it's a match.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then oh my bet, yeah, the digital real estate thing, yes, the answers yes, I.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think that. The gaming world. Let me ask you this, do you feel concerned at all? Because I feel like a lot of people have become addicted to video games.
Speaker 8: It is very addicting. So I have a two part question to this a.
Speaker 6: Is there any level of concern for how fast video game culture has grown? And we talk about the metaverse where people could potentially like live in the metaverse more than they're actually living in physical world.
Speaker 8: It's almost kind of happening now.
Speaker 6: If you have a kid that's played video games, they're playing video games all day, every day.
Speaker 8: So what's your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think it's a double edged sword for sure, you know, I think that, you know, growing up, you know, my parents make sure I'm outside and you know, doing you know, playing for a certain amount of time, and they wouldn't really let me, you know, play video games as much. But to the flip side of that, there wasn't like an option to really make money like that, you know what I mean, or like have a business like like gaming like that wasn't an option. So I will say that outside of gaming, if you think about the next jobs.
Speaker 4: That are going to be coming up in the in the future, it's going to be mainly digital based jobs, you know what I mean. And so if you're seeing.
Speaker 3: Your child or godchild or young brother or sister, if you're seeing them have talents and nate talent in that world, it's almost like seeing seeing someone kick a soccer ball and then having like true talent, you know what I mean early on and you're like and the first thing you do is a parent, You're like, oh shit, I need to go get them some a soccer ball, a bag, some cleats, and we're gonna sign them up right or her up. So I think that, you know, if you start thinking about what these new jobs are going to be, and what and what's going to happen in the future as far as business goes, you should lean into some of those talents and foster some of that stuff. You know, when you see talent there you know my opinion, but you obviously you don't want someone just like full blown you know, losing somebody to the metaverse right now, I don't think that's that's that's that's that's the move. But but again I think that people tense up and get scared of when they see the amount of time and and when they see their kid or or a young person.
Speaker 4: Living like that.
Speaker 3: Again, there's gonna be where the jobs are at right if you think about it, like in the future. So I think that a lot of that, you know, talent seeking on that end is really important, but also balancing it out.
Speaker 4: Make sure you know that someone's not just full blow gone over there.
Speaker 6: I want, I want to ask your opinion on I feel like video games was everything we're talking about now with metaverse and all that. A lot of people can't understand it, but I understand it because I understand Fortnite, and I understand in app purchases, and I understand the pressure to make your character.
Speaker 7: Holda holda How many parents we got in here right now? Y'all know about any that purchases for sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Ninety non charge every two days. Yeah, that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: So now I really revolutionize the whole business model because before, when I played video games, you just buy John Mann for fifty dollars whatever, and that's it.
Speaker 8: With Fortnite is free.
Speaker 6: Now these video games are free, but these in app purchases, it's like fifty dollars a week, Like there's an unlimited amount of money that you could spend. So talk about that as far as the how that really transformed, in my opinion, the video game culture into billions and billions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, uh, look when social media came into play, I think that was the catalyst to all of this, right, and and and and people's digital selves are as important than their physical self as far as representation to other people, right. And so when you're playing a video game, and and it's you know, you get the flex some jersey or something that you're wearing in in in Madden, or you get to wear you know, get to wear some cool sneakers in in in Fortnite, and and and you're streaming with your friends as a flex, right and and so I just think that you know, social media really really plays into that and really really gave us an understanding of what our digital self is and what we want other people to see.
Speaker 7: I want to know the key to keeping your brand as the Pyramier name in the space?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: If we think the sports automatically, the first thing we think is phase planned. And I know there's other sports competition teams, but it's like they're not irrelevant. What has been the key to making sure that you're at the forefront of this that's your name, that your brand, that that f right?
Speaker 4: I did hold on? What is it here that's doing it right?
Speaker 8: I got it right?
Speaker 4: I got it right? All right?
Speaker 7: So, how how do we make sure that that that f it's entrenching everybody's mind when once they think E gaming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think there's there's a difference. Right.
Speaker 3: There's E sports, which is the professional side of gaming, which is more of a franchise.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of a lot of players.
Speaker 3: Moving around from you know, team to team, and they don't really have the time to establish themselves as they don't really have the time to give themselves an online presence like the amateur gaming. Right, So I always I always tell people this, like, imagine, like the physics are different in this world, right of imagine if the G League Lakers team was more popular than the Lakers, that's where that's kind of like where gaming is, right. So, like the amateur gamers that have the time to put into streaming twelve hours a day in front of their fans and stuff like that, they're amateur gamers.
Speaker 4: They're not professional gamers. Professional gamers are.
Speaker 3: Practicing for the next tournament and making sure that they can perform at the highest level and win a tournament perse right or prize.
Speaker 4: And so you know, I think that I don't know as far as.
Speaker 3: Making sure that we're in front of everybody, we just look to push a space of gaming in general, gaming has not been defined. I think esports has been defined to a certain extent, but gaming hasn't been defined culturally.
Speaker 4: And so when we're making moves.
Speaker 3: Or if I'm thinking it's a strategic move we should make, I'm thinking about pushing game.
Speaker 4: I'm not thinking about pushing phase plan.
Speaker 3: And when you're in an emerging industry and you're bleeding edge company, that's I think the way you should think. You need to transcend your own business transit as far as thought process goes, transcend your own brand and franchise and think about how can I push this space?
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: So, and there's certain moves that when we make those moves, a lot of our quote unquote competitors they make they make more money, you know what I mean, Because we're unlocking and kicking down certain doors. And those are the moves I love to make. And I think that's how you I think that's how you achieve that.
Speaker 4: You talked about the cash prizes for some of these ornaments.
Speaker 7: I remember seeing the first time that there was a million dollar prize and I was like, Wow, I should have kept gaming for the rest of my life. Yeah, but now we've seeing like you've taken over the US Open, sure, and the prize money is going up. Do you think there's a this endless lim because at a certain point, I know you were inside author As Stadium in the three point two million was the prize.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The person who wins the actual US Open gets paid the same amount. Yeah, So where do you think this prize money is going?
Speaker 4: Is it limitless?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's limitless, but it's it's I think it's there's.
Speaker 4: A lot room, a lot of room. There's a lot of room. I mean again, gaming is entertainment, you know what I mean, it's entertainment.
Speaker 3: So you know, whether or not from whatever age group you're from, if you really understand it for yourself, which you know, you just have to find ways to correlate it to something that you're attracted to on that level, right, because this generation sees gaming, you know just like we You know, that event is the Super Bowl, you know what I mean, and so or the World Cup. And I think that you know, when it comes to youth culture, that's what they're into, that's what they that's what they love watching, that's what they identify with. And and so I think the scalability there from a professional esports side.
Speaker 4: Is It's not limitless. I don't think anything is.
Speaker 3: But but it's the potential is great.
Speaker 4: Looks like yeah, yeah, yeah, God, I appreciate.
Speaker 8: I know you got to go, brother.
Speaker 6: But any last thing you want to tell or future plans for Phase Clan.
Speaker 3: No, I think we kind of covered it on the on the you know, on the NFT side, and and and how we're looking at the metaverse. You know, I think other than that, you know, maybe just some bits on a business level, you know, I think you know what I like on you know, as far as my personal mantra, Phase Clan is like the ultimate place for to me to exercise what I believe in as far as bridging the gap between youth culture, even black culture, and and and what you know, and and something as explosive as gaming. So you know, I really stress you know, communicating with young people from youth culture understand, you know, talking to your kids, talking to people that live and having nate knowledge of of of any of these spaces.
Speaker 4: It's not just gaming, it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, whatever's going to help you drive your business or whatever you're on, like, really finding the magic in the middle, like communicating with with with youth cultures and portant you know what I mean, and and and and That's what I'm trying to teach as far as like you know, scaling a business, going public, stuff like that, bringing corporations and and and and corporate culture and meeting youth culture and and honoring it on high just like you would.
Speaker 4: You know, when when I bring in talent or I bring in someone to my.
Speaker 3: Creative team or whatever, I'm not asking really what you know, I'm not as interested as a resume as I am in their talent. And I make sure that they sit at the same table as a CFO and a COO and we honor what they have to say, just like you know, the tippy top of any type of corporate structure and who.
Speaker 4: Sits at that table.
Speaker 3: You know, certain companies now have to have many people sitting around that big table figuring out like what we're going to green light and stuff like that, you know, especially with BLM and what happened with a lot you know a lot of brands putting stuffut they should have put out, and you got to have somebody sitting at that table going, hey, what is that?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: You can't do that right because you need another lens there. And so when it comes to youth culture, usually those two sides don't talk your corporate America. And then you got a bunch of kids that play video games, right, how are you going to export product that is meaningful, scalable and create a business around that. And so it's really about the weight and gold and honor and you know, the youth and making sure you can you know, teach them, bring them along, and also listen.
Speaker 4: You know I listen a lot. It's mainly what I do.
Speaker 3: Is listen, appreciate you playing, thank you for having me, thank you for having.
Speaker 2: Me, my graduates from my school being forced.
Speaker 5: Bad drop drop drop, bad drop drop.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need