Speaker 1: Sadev Charmond, the Cups feet and co host of North Side Territory, part of the FT Network joining us right now. Great hustle throughout the season and the postseason, Sadev, So, how do you evaluate the Cubs season? Some have said I've actually talked to a few areun Chicago that believed this was a very successful campaign for the Cubs given what they had to work with going into the year. Would you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what they had to work with, considering Justin Steele got hurt, considering Kate Horton was hurt for the playoffs, it was it was a perfectly acceptable season. It was a step forward after what we'd seen in previous seasons. So in that regard, you can say there was some success. I just think, you know, with the way the season started and how good the offense looked to begin the year, how with a confidence level within the team and outside, it seemed like they had a shot of the World Series. Maybe that wasn't the case entering the playoffs, with considering the injuries and where the offense was at, and any season that ends in a loss, I feel like, you know you didn't ultimately achieve your goals, but they it was a step forward and it was a solid season. I think it was a season they could be happy with. I just you know, it's hard to say it was this, you know, resounding success when that's how it ends and you lose to the Brewers, a team that you know, a fraction of their payroll and continues to be the class of the NL Central that they have something to chase after after this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two part question for me. I know, he didn't have the year that he was hoping to have. I don't think he was having the year the Cubs that he would have. But did Kyle Tucker do enough to impress the Cubs to make him a priority in free agency? And the second part is did the Cubs do a good enough job of impressing Kyle Tucker for him to want to come back?
Speaker 2: So I think the Cubs are looked at as a pretty good organization as far as taking care of their players, taking care of players families, all those things. Players that I talked to seem to really be happy with how the Cubs run things. I do believe Kyle Tucker liked Chicago, especially in the first half. He was well loved by the really loved by the regally faithful. Things changed in the second half, whether it was injuries, in effectiveness, whatever it was. He wasn't as good, nearly as good as that first half. That first half he was an MVP candidate. The second half he didn't play much, and when he did play, he wasn't at that same level. I think in general it was going to be hard for the Cubs to re sign him. I just I think they looked at this as a one year thing and if things kind of worked in their favor somehow, maybe they'd be able to resign him. The Cubs. The reality is the Cubs do not spend like a top five market. They are a top three market, and they spend like a middle tier market. That's just how it is. I don't think I don't think it should be that way, but it's just kind of how it's been for a few years now, and you kind of have to analyze it going forward with that knowledge in mind. So I don't think they're going to resign him. I'd be surprised by it. I don't think he's gonna get that four hundred million dollar deal we were talking about six months ago. I think it may be in the two hundreds, and I still don't think the Cubs will sign him because it's going to be six or seven years or something like that, and that's just not where the Cubs heads are at. I think they they will spend that type of money on certain players. I don't think Kyle Tucker is that guy. I do think the injuries and the ineffectiveness and maybe that calf injury, especially at the end of the year, and how long it took for him to come back from that, that that may color some of his time with the Cubs, and I think it may end up leading to him it could end up leading to him getting a little less money than a lot of us affected.
Speaker 4: So he finished actually three percent higher ops plus than his career. So if he had his first half in the second half, would you have would you change your tone or would the Cubs also be in NLCS if he had the first half that he had in if he had his first half in the second.
Speaker 2: Half, That's a that's a really good question. I do think part of this is is narrative and recency bias. I struggle with it too, but I'm just going off what I've heard as far as my understanding of where the Cubs are at I and yes, I do think we'd be talking a little bit differently about Kyle Tucker. We'd be talking a little bit differently about the Cubs in general. If he had that first half in the second half, it's just natural we'd be talking about, Wow, look at this guy stepping up down the stretch and in his postseason performance, this guy's clutch and things like that. It's just the reality of the situation. And he didn't have a bad playoffs, but that final game, he was the one that stepped to the plate in the biggest moment for the Cubs and that they had only one real threat and he stepped to the plate with nobody out and two men on and he didn't come through. That doesn't mean he failed overall. I just don't think he He delivered what some people kind of expected from him, probably Michael Bush delivered the postseason that a lot of people hoped Kyle Tucker could give. Yeah, I do think there are some narrative narratives being built here, but I also do think it's just it's a long shot. No matter what, the Cubs were just a long shot to sign him. They just don't spend like that, and I don't know what he's gonna get, but I do feel like the Cub he ends up somewhere else, and you know, a lot of people were talking about Tampa. I wonder if that ends up being the place. I'm not sure if others, like if if he fits in like a New York or other huge markets like that. Not that he was like bad with the media anything like that. I just I think he likes to, you know, avoid us. And that's nothing against him. You know, everyone's different, but I think he prefers to just keep to himself and go play baseball and then do his thing. Maybe that doesn't work in every market.
Speaker 4: Okay, what Cubs team showed up for the series? Was it the Cubs team that in the first inning? Was it the first was it Michael Bush? Was it Saya Suzuki, Oh man, we're gonna beat these guys, you know, screw the Brewers, and or was it the team that struggled to consistently add on runs throughout the season and then in this series it kind of came to a head.
Speaker 2: I like, if I had to pick a reason they lost, I think it's the pitching. And I think it's the first two games of the series. I think watching the playoffs, I feel as if pitching is king and you just do whatever you can, no matter what type of offense you are, to kind of grind out runs and get two, three, four runs. If you can get to four, that seems like you're really safe. But they didn't have enough pitching at the start. Kate Horton going down completely changed the way their their pitching staff looked. It just it changed everything as far as a thinking of how they had to go about business. And then showed him Anaga's struggles really impacted this team. Those two things completely changed how the postseason looked for them. That showed him Monaga didn't pitch in Game five, I think tells us a lot about their confidence level and maybe even his confidence level in his ability to get, you know, out some big moments. I would not I'm shocked that I'm saying that. To be honest, he did not seem like someone that you would lack confidence in to get big outs, you know, at the beginning of the season, even in the middle of this season, so that his star has fallen faded so quickly is a surprise. I do think the offense didn't show up. I think it's hard to really jump on them because I think that's just playoff baseball. You gotta find ways to score a couple runs here and there. They didn't do it. In Game five, they scored enough. Generally, you know, you need to score three. They should have added on more. Absolutely, you have to come through in more situations. You have to put more pressure on the opposition. I just think the Brewers threw a lot of good pitchers at him. Their relief group was better than I realized. I think, or maybe wanted to admit at times. Miserowski had a really good series against them, some big outs for the Brewers, especially in that final game. He's someone that I've watched struggle in moments and look terrible and then just is locked in. And it seemed like he was locked in in his two appearances with the Cubs. There were moments when he first came out in that I believe it was Game two when he came out and I said, this guy doesn't have it. He was kind of bringing the ball all over the place, and then he just quickly locked in and it was downhill for the Cubs from there. But good like I'd credit the Brewers pitching more than anything and kind of say the Cubs just didn't have it in those first two games. Pitching wise, Matthew Boyd on three days rest showed him Naga struggling. It sunk them. KP.
Speaker 1: We both love Omaha Steaks. My latest order six private reserve filet mignons. It sounds bougie because it is. They were fantastic and also one and a half pounds of jumbo cooked shrimp with a big initial discount and then an additional thirty five bucks off with the code foul. You have been a long time Omaha Steaks guy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Back in college, I would always order steaks. I'd put them in my freezer. And that's the reason I bulked up is because I always had fresh steaks in my freezer, ready to.
Speaker 1: Go, delicious, protein, Get after it. Okay, it is the best in the biz. If you're order in Steaks online, you can say big with Omaha Steaks. Visit Omaha Steaks dot com for fifty percent off site wide and an extra twenty percent off select favor during their early Black Friday sale, and for an extra thirty five dollars off use promo code foul at checkout. Terms apply see site for details. That's fifty percent off at Omaha Steaks dot com promo code foul at checkout.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think with a healthy Justin Steel, you would probably put him in Game one and you trust him being able to go out and you know, go toe to toe with an ace. Do you feel like they missed that window once he went down. I know it was early in the year, but to be able to try to go on and add a guy to kind of replace him for foreshadowing if we get into the playoffs, we need a legitimate number one to go against every other team's number one.
Speaker 2: I just I agree that they needed to do that. I don't know if that guy was available at a reasonable cost, because the guys that really moved the needle, in my opinion, were like Joe Ryan, some of the Marlins guys, even Mackenzie Gore. I know he had a really bad second half, but those were the guys at the deadline that you could have pointed to and said that moves the needle. None of those guys removed, and from my understanding, the prices were pretty exorbitant. They would have had to give up either you're talking about either Kate Horton or match Shaw, and that's something that I don't think they wanted to take away from their major league roster. And I understand that that thought process you give up Kate Horton. I think he's someone you mentioned justin Steel. He's someone I think could have matched. I think he could have had a coming out party in the postseason. This guy, you talk to him, you listen to him, you talk, you listen to the way others talk about him. You understand, Oh, not only does he have stuff, not only was he improving as each start out, but he also has the mentality that the teams crave from a starting pitcher. This guy is not afraid of any challenge. He hits a rough patch and all he wants to do is fight through it and get better and learn from it. Really impressive guy to talk to, Really impressive to hear from the coaches that they thought so highly of him right away. Tells me a lot about him. I think he's a guy that you know, as long as he stays healthy. I think this is a guy that in a year from now, we're gonna be saying, does does Kate Horton deserve Cy Young votes things like that. I really think he's got a high upside and that's the guy you should watch. But I agree that they should have gone there. There wasn't that picture moved, but they needed to do something. And you know, hindsight is twenty twenty, but we were all saying it at the deadline, they're gonna go get a starter. They're going to go get a starter. They went and got Michael Siroco, just didn't impact the team as they had hoped. So it didn't work out and it looks like it bit them all. Right.
Speaker 4: Another young guy that's on this roster, Kate Horton's just turned twenty four years old. Pete crow Armstrong played his entire season, is twenty three year old. Season All Star. Is his approach and the way that he goes about his approach at the plate? I get it, he made some ridiculous catches in the outfield and the postseason. Is his approach something that he and the organization want to maybe change. I think he had twenty nine walks one hundred and fifty five strikeouts. Is that something that they want to change or do they just want him to have more success and figure it out that way because his on base percentage just started to decline the whole year, and then when you get to the postseason, teams are like, oh, well he's gonna swing at the rosenbag, so we'll go ahead and just throw that to him.
Speaker 2: Yep, Yeah, it's a fair question. I don't know. It's a risk too. When you start talking about changing someone's approach that's already in the major leagues, that's really risky. And we've seen it go sideways. We've seen it with the Cubs go sideways. I go back to Starlin Castro when they tried to do that with him and tried to tap into more power and get more walks. It just it went really sideways and altered his career. It can work, it can h And he's certainly a hard worker, you know, as much as he he gets criticized for being so emotional on the field highs or lows, there's no doubt that he's highly respected by the veterans for you know, putting in work and and and wanting to get better. So I think if they have a plan in place, I'd be surprised if the plan is like, you need to take more walks don't swing as much. You know, the swing decisions are probably something he'll continue to work on. I do think that improved as the season went on. Obviously he was exposed in the playoffs. There are certain holes. Uh you know, obviously the scouting reports get much more specific, you get a ton more information, and the pictures are just better, especially some of those Padres pictures that were going that they were going up against Freddy Peralta. These are guys that can specifically expose that their stuff specifically exposes p corb CERN's biggest holes. I agree that something needs to change, and maybe that's just natural development. I also think that this may be kind of what Pete Armstrong is really high highs, some pretty bad lows, and then it's about minimizing those lows over the course of his career. I don't think. I think we all, myself included, we probably got carried away in that first half, Oh is this who this guy is? And I think we kind of came back down to earth and said, Okay, he's going to have normal ups and downs, and the ups are just so high that you could just it takes you to this level where you're like, Wow, this guy's a superstar. Certainly performs like one at times, but he's a flawed offensive player, and I'd be surprised if there's major changes. I think you could hope for and expect natural development for a young player. I just don't know if he's going to be a guy that we see a high walk percentage for. I think his on base percentage is going to be based upon his batting average, and and for him like that, that may not be the highest and you have to hope that this power is rale and sticks around. Otherwise, you know, what he is is a really good defensive player with a ton of value there. And if he can be an average offensive player, that's still a really good player. But I think he just set expectations so high in this first half that you know where we're always going to be wondering can he be that guy for a full season, for a full career?
Speaker 3: Man, it sounds like you were talking about me at the end. You know, good defender, average, still valuable, man. You can play a long time doing that. But speaking of like breakouts, Pete Romstrong we talked about, I don't think Michael Bush gets enough credit for what he did this year. But I love kind of talking about the old guys in the game, the veterans. You know, I wish I had a hat that say keep old guys employed. Talk about kind of the impact that Justin Turner had, maybe on those two young guys, but maybe just the entire culture of the Cubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was. It's huge. I don't think you can overstate it. I came into this business very much a numbers guy and underrated the stuff going on in the clubhouse. I've been in clubhouses for fifteen years now over that, and and I would you know, I've learned a lot about the value and the intangibles that these guys can bring. I do believe there's some younger leaders in that clubhouse. Nico Horner stands out to me. Ian Happ is a good clubhouse guy, but a veteran like Justin Turner, who has been through it all, who has been a star on a team, who was it who had a really big home run against the Cubs in the postseason. He's he's seen a lot, He's done a lot, and then so not only has does he have that experience, but he comes into a situation where he could he could complain he could say I should be playing more, I need more playing time. Look at my you know, look at look at what I've done in my career. Never once did he do that. Never once did I hear complain from a coach like this guy is just know in the clubhouse telling everyone how great he is. Nothing like that. That's not who he is. I think through his career he learned that. He learned like, Okay, this is where I am now in my career, and this is the role I can hold, and I want to be great at it. I want to do this and I want to do it well. You'd see him a lot of times putting his arm around a guy in the in the dugout and kind of calming them down, Hey, we need you, we were going to need you later in the season, We're gonna need you later in this game, whatever it may be. And and from my understanding, he'd also get on them. He wasn't afraid to call someone out and tell them you need to you know, this is how you behave in the big leagues. This is what you need to do. This is the type of work you need to put in, whatever it may be. He wasn't afraid to call guys out, and I think being able to do both is hard in any area of life. Like I know as a dad, it's hard for me sometimes to be the bad guy, but like it's it's it's sometimes needed. It's the you know, and he was really good at it. I was impressed when talking to him, and just when hearing from others players that barely impacted the playoffs or in any way spoke really highly of them young guys. Ben Brown, I think it made one appearance and just gushed about Justin Turner. I think he had a major impact on this team and he probably, you know, years from now, we're going to hear he had a He had a lasting impact, something that you know, hopefully helped guys grow in some way and it leads to a longer career or gives them some perspective in the game that they that helps them get through future difficult moments.
Speaker 4: I've seen this rivalry firsthand, the Cubs and Brewers. How as seeing it from the Cubs side and hearing fans Cubs fans, how have they reacted to the hanging the L flag in their team picture when they had already beaten the team? As much as I could say, you know, but I'm a Brewer side of this argument. I'm never a side of rubbing it in their face. But is it is it fair to the victor goes the spoils?
Speaker 2: You know? For me, it's kind of just like you when you get to do what you want and celebrate how you want. I do think there are some fans that were like, what are you doing? Like go like you you have you know, you beat us just to enjoy it, Like I'll read in your head, So why are you still thinking about us? Even like what's the And I get that, like maybe they do obsess a little bit over think too much about the Cubs. I mean, the Cubs are the supposed to be the big bad Cubs. They're the big spenders, They're the ones that can do all these things, and the Brewers keep beating them and they don't get much recognition. I think they're starting to I've certainly changed my tune over the past few years. I used to say that they can't keep doing this. Guess what they can. They're really good. That's a great organization, just so well run, and it's a model organization. More teams should look to them and say, how do they do it they're doing, and how can we replicate that. It's it's not easy. I could tell you that, uh, it seemed a little over the top, but I also I just referred to, well, they want, so they get to do what they want. But I can certainly tell you that fans were annoyed by it and thought it was a little petty and thought it was kind of like what, you know, Wow, you can't get the Cubs out of your mind type of situation. It was prepared. Someone has to have that time ready to go. They were somebody.
Speaker 4: There's a fan in the front row. That always happened at Rulers games, however, the Cubs whenever the Cubs come in, so they took it from the fan, yep.
Speaker 1: And then that's pretty organic. That seems harmless. I mean they're singing New York, New York, you know, and all that with.
Speaker 3: These postgame ceremonies is old the ultimate sign of confidence and belief in your team. Now, that's what I'm starting to gather because I was witness firsthand the New York New York situation that wasn't made up in the moment, that was kind of premeditated. So I think much like you said, the Brewers, even though it was there, someone had to wharabouts to be like if we no, not if when we win this game, I'm going to take that flag. So maybe that's the new sign of ultimate belief in your team and confidence where you can already prepare these celebrations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean some Cubs fans that I guess forgot twenty sixteen, thought the best moment of their life was, you know, for an inning, shouting Freddy and him giving up a home run as if they were impacting the game. So whatever makes people happy these.
Speaker 2: Days, right, Satday?
Speaker 1: Great stuff, great coverage, awesome listening to Northside Territory.
Speaker 2: And reading articles the athletics.
Speaker 1: We're out and we'll be dialed in in the offseason see what happens.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, thank you, thanks for having me on. Guys, take care,