Speaker 1: Welcome to a Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're hoping that Trinity Rodman's Call her Daddy interview goes mainstream enough for people to finally, once and for all stop asking her if her dad will be at the game. It's Friday, December twentieth, and on today's show, we'll give you a trio of segments A yes and about one of the best women's basketball players ever, A good Game, fact you about UNC women's soccer success, and what the fact that puts their dominance in even more context. Plus our little trio finally decides on a name. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices, Happy Friday. Here's what you need to know today in NWSL news, per Sports Illustrated, forward Lynn Williams and goalkeeper Cassie Miller have been traded from New York New Jersey Gotham FC to the Seattle Rain for midfielder Jalen Howell and an undisclosed transfer fee. Sources told SI that Williams, who's from California, wants to finish her career at a club on the West Coast, and that request factored into this trade. Williams join Gotham back in twenty twenty three and has been a huge part of the club's rejuvenation over the past seasons, including helping them to their NWSL championship win in twenty twenty three. She's the NWSL's all time leading goal scorer with eighty total goals, and she ranks third all time for assists with twenty eight. In two seasons with Gotham, she racked up eleven goals and four assists in thirty five matches. In lacrosse News, Athletes Unlimited has decided to suspend its Pro Lacrosse League indefinitely, effective immediately. AU released a statement detailing the decision on Wednesday. The international competition schedule and athlete availability during the summer months in the next few years were cited as obstacles which make it impossible to project the league's growth over that period. AU did state that every athlete who's played in its Lacrosse league will continue to benefit from its profit participation plan in their final season and the nineteen years that follow. In Pro Hoops, it feels like Asia Wilson racks up another accolade. Every Day Sports Illustrated named the Las Vegas Aces Star two time WNBA champ and three time MVP. Their twenty twenty four WNBA Player of the Year low refresher on the unbelievable season Asia had In thirty eight regular season games. She set the WNBA record for points at a season with oneenty twenty one, becoming the first player to eclipse the one thousand point mark in WNBA history. She set the WNBA record for rebounds in a season and became the only player in WNBA and NBA history to lead a season in points, rebounds, and blocks, en route to a unanimous MVP selection. College Hoops News a disturbing situation that we mentioned a while back has come to a conclusion. Robert Cole Parmally, the forty year old man who was arrested back in August for stalking yukon basketball star page Beckers, pleaded guilty on Wednesday to a second degree charge at Rockville Superior Court. He received a one year suspended sentence and three years probation. Parmelly's plea agreement dictates that he must abide by a protective order that's been in effect since September sixteenth and will remain in place until January fourth, twenty sixty four and must comply with treatment recommendations for his mental health. He's also banned from the state of Connecticut during his three year probation and from arenas, hotels, and practice facilities where the Yukon women's basketball team is present. The WNBA has barred him from all arenas and practice facilities as well. It's frankly infuriating that this is a thing that Paiges had to deal with, but we're glad that the situation was taken seriously and resulted in some meaningful punishment. All Right, Slice says, it's time for the triumphant return of one of our favorite segments. Yes, and now, if you've been listening to our shows this week, you may have heard our conversation with sophomore sensation Juju Watkins. Last season, in the final year of the Pac twelve Conference, Watkins led a resurgence in SoCal, helping the Trojans to their first number one seed in the NCAA Tournament since nineteen eighty six, and she scored nine hundred twenty points. That's good for the most points by a freshman in D one history. Speaking in nineteen eighty six, though, what was going on back then? Who led that team to a number one seed in the attorney. Well, that would be Cheryl Miller, arguably one of the best to ever lace him up the Ford was a four time All American and three time Naysmith Award recipient, and to this day, she still holds USC records for career scoring with threeenty eighteen points, rebounds, fifteen hundred and thirty four, rebound average twelve rebounds per game, and free throws mate seven hundred. Miller led the Trojans to back to back NCAA championships in nineteen eighty three and eighty four, and she dominated with Team USA as well, winning a gold medal at the eighty four Olympics. For her impact on the game, she's been recognized as both the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and a Women's Basketball Hall of Famer. Now, if you recall, we also told you yesterday that another recent college hoops superstar, Caitlin Clark, will have her jersey retired at Iowa at the beginning of February when the team faces off against what a coincidence USC. Of course, that honor is extremely well deserved. Clark changed the trajectory of the entire Hawkeyes program and of women's basketball at large. Pretty cool, right, We'll get this, folks. Miller had her jersey retired too, during the eighty six season while she was still playing. Miller's was the first basketball jersey USC retired ever, regardless of gender. Shout out to the delightful and insightful Jordan Robinson for reminding us about this through a post on Blue Sky. We'll link to that in the show notes. So yes, ju Ju Watkins, Yes, Caitlin Clark, and Cheryl Miller. Because Cheryl Miller was her and frankly still is. She got her flowers at WNBA All Star Weekend this summer and was selected to coach Team WNBA. During the All Star Game, her squad won one seventeen to one oh nine, beating a team of players roster for the US national team that went on to win gold in Paris. Now, the WNBA didn't exist when Miller graduated from USC, and her career was also cut short by severe knee injuries. But ask your favorite player's favorite player who their favorite player is, and we bet at Cheryl Miller. We got to take a quick break. When we come back, We're actually gonna pick a trio name this time seriously, for real, we promise, don't go anywhere. Welcome back to Slices. We're bringing in producers Mish and Alex for this conversation because we got it once and for all. Pick a name for ourselves now. If you listened earlier in the week, we were kind of talking about nailing it down to possibly the Grove. But while we were talking about that, the name Big Citrus came up as kind of a joke, and one of our faves, Colleen Conahan, multi time guest, longtime listener, said she actually likes Big Citrus as our name, so we got to consider Big Citrus. And then Amy Liss, longtime listener, one of my faves. Shout out to Amy, wrote us, if you're the Grove, Alex and Mesh are the produce ers, Yeah, we are, which is incredible. I did not even think about that produce amazing, incredible. And then Amanda Vallo, who sent us some good co ed sports etiquette editions, came back to the email and she wrote, quote real Ladies Marmala based on the show tune Creole Lady Marmalade. It represents Chicago Lady Gaga Oranges. How could you go wrong, you guys would be setting the record straight and owning the lyric on the daily. Apparently this is a song about a guy trying to hook up with a hooker. That's not important, y'all, but I do think it's really fun to say real lady mud every single time you hear it. She also suggested Sam Sam the first letter amalgamation of Sarah, Alex and meish and when people ask who you are what you do, you can have fun saying I am Sam or Sam I am. Amanda also said you could lean into the growth and success of the WNBA and call yourselves the Orange Hoodies the hood for short, Home of the Slices. And most importantly, she said, ps, I work at a service dog organization, and anytime you're in Denver you're invited for a tour, I promise it will include lots of dog time and an ending where you're smothered in puppies. Please consider end quote yea duh, I mean duh On the last part. We're clearly if I am in Denver, I will be reaching out and I will be smothered in puppies. Okay, Alex Mesh, let's whittle this down I don't think I want to go with SAM.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I kind of love the orange hoodies the hood for sure, it's pretty cute and it does tie in WNBA, but I don't think it supersedes the other ideas. I don't I don't know if that's for us, Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean I do want to maybe FLAG Could we do ASM instead? Like who says SAM has to be the order that we could compete with the American Society of Microbiology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I don't like that because it reminds me of ASMR. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll someday add a third producer Rachel or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then people will expect us to do our shows like this and hope that we'll give them really good sports content. And that's just not my style. So we're not gonna be SAM, and we're not gonna be ASM or R. Real Ladies Marmelote is hilarious, but I don't think it really rolls off the tongue, and I will then insist every time we say it that I go real ladies, Mama. I don't think I can handle that exactly, think anyone can handle that, including me. So we're back to where we started with Big Citrus and the Grove, and frankly, I'm stumped. I'm gonna need you to to help us come to a consensus here.
Speaker 3: This is a big This is probably the hardest problem I've ever been tasked with solving in life, in life, generally speaking, the biggest thing. So from our last conversation, I was a big fan of the Grove. I still I've got some eggs in that basket. But Plaine and Big Citrus, I think I told y'all when we first saw her message. I enjoy the kind of conspiratorial vibe that comes from Big Citrus because Big Pharma. Not that I want to be associated with Big Pharma, you know, we do.
Speaker 1: I want to make that kind of bag, but we do not want to go to jail ruin people's lives. Yes, exactly, Can we just have the first half that's grown up me, that's grown upb me, Alex.
Speaker 2: I think I was the one that originally pitched the grove, and I can't remember if I said the grove or the Orange Grove. But I'm now on the Big Citrus train. I just I agree, Mesh, conspiratorial sounds like we got some stuff to hide.
Speaker 1: We stuff going on you know, I love drama. I don't know everything. Yeah, and I just I think there's something very clever and more fun about saying we hear a big citrus rolling out some episodes about or we hear a big citrus decided to say you to fill in the blank, as opposed to we hear at the grove. The grove is nice, it's sweet, It is where oranges grow. Promulgate Is that the word I'm looking for? My brain just said it? Is that correct? Would you say prommelgate? I've never heard that google, probable gate, prommel gate, promote or make widely known an idea or cause? Yeah, where did you even pull that? I don't know. My brain just goes prom gate. Anyway, I think we got to go with big Citrus. I think we made a decision. Shouts to Klain for picking up on our joke about big citrus and being like, that's actually it, which h It's Sometimes the best way to come to a consensus is to stumble upon it, like a perfectly ripe orange in a grove. Nice, that was smooth. That was smooth.
Speaker 2: I don't want to restrict us from lemons or limes either. Citrus is a wide category, and I don't want us to just feel like we have to be orange all the time always.
Speaker 1: You know what, You've opened up a door for potential segment about lemons, because you know when something's a real lemon, like I don't know, Boss Nation, too many balls. That was a real lemon. We're never gonna let them move that down. No, we really are, until they change which times Ticking black is sticking, all right, Big Citrus, it is congratulations to us on making a decision.
Speaker 2: To put our hands in and cheer.
Speaker 1: Yeah what I mean, the only cheer I always do is what time is it game? Tom? Which is from the nineties Bulls. I'm just not sure that works as well for Big Citrus.
Speaker 3: That's not from high school musical excuse me me, Oh, that's a completely different thing anyway anyway.
Speaker 1: Also, if it was, it would be a shout out to the nineties Bulls greatness. It would not be something that was promulgated by high school music. See away, it's time to I'm just showing off. Time to move on, Big Citrus. Time for a little good game. Good game fact you with the UNC women's soccer team winning the twenty twenty four NCAA title. An impressive street continues. So every four year UNC student who enrolled since nineteen seventy seven has been on campus for at least one Tar Heels team winning a national title. Wow, even more impressive, UNC's women's soccer team had so much success in the past. Every UNC student enrolled between nineteen seventy seven and twenty twelve was on campus for at least one women's soccer national title. Specifically, fantastic stuff, right, congratulations to the tar Heels. I don't know if you want to listen to this next part though, because that leads us straight into today's what the Fact. So, as part of USA Today's really excellent coverage of the fiftieth anniversary of Title nine and twenty twenty two, Rachel Axson and Lindsay Schnell, friend of the show, reported on the high percentage of colleges that aren't in compliance with the law and still aren't providing equal opportunities in sport to their female students. What does that have to do with UNC? Take a listen to a bit of their findings. Quote. USA Today found eighty seven percent of colleges and universities are not offered athletic opportunities to women proportionate to their enrollment. According to the News organization's analysis of one hundred twenty seven public and private schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision during the twenty twenty twenty twenty one academic year, proportionality is the surest of the three ways that school's athletic departments can show compliance with Title nine under the US Department of Education's three prong test. Calling the measure of a quote unquote safe harbor, the agency states that the gender composition of its athletic program should substantially match that of its undergraduate enrollment. To measure schools proportionality. USA Today used enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics and athletic participation data from NCAA reports that it obtained from the schools under public records law or the Equity and Athletics Disclosure Act database. It found that one hundred ten schools would need to add a total of eleven thousand, five hundred and one female roster spots to close the participation gap. That's an average of one hundred four per school, roughly the size of a football team, and enough to add three or four women's teams each. Among the schools with the biggest gaps were the University of Memphis, the University of Louisiana and Monroe, and the University of South Alabama. None was larger than the University of North Carolina, though it would need to add three hundred ninety five female roster spots. The analysis found end quote. That's right. In twenty twenty twenty twenty one, UNC was three hundred ninety five female roster spots short of providing equal sports opportunities to their female students. So congrats on the lengthy title streak. How about working on your participation gap, UNC, I mean, haven't the women's teams been successful enough to prove the value of even more opportunity, more teams, more titles? Right? What the fact? UNC? And here's another fact. Elf Beauty's recent report shows that gender diverse boards lead to positive business results. SMP five hundred companies with above average gender diversity on their board saw a fifteen percent boost in return on equity and a fifty percent drop in earning's risk over a year. You can read the full report at elfbauty dot com. Slash not So White Paper. We love that You're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too, So here's our good gameplay the day. Watch this weekend's NCAA Volleyball Championship game. It's this Sunday, three pm Eastern on ABC. Now we're recording this before the semifinals wrapped up, so we're not sure whether it'll be Louisville or Nebraska or Pitt or Penn State. Either way, we can't wait to watch. Also, let us know how you feel about our official name, Big Citrus. You can hit us up on email Good Game at Wondermedia network dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy. Don't forget to subscribe, rate and review, y'all. It's easy. Listener. John Tifola showed you how when he wrote quote review good game is better than finding a twenty dollars bill in the pocket of an old jacket at quote, and Jennifer and Berkeley wrote quote first listen every morning, not kidding when I say, Sarah and guests help me start my day in a good mood. Nothing like the dish on women's athletes done in an educational and super entertaining way. Proud to be a super slice end quote. Ah we love that. Now it's your turn subscribe, rate and review. It really helps our show and us, so thanks for doing it. Thanks for listening, y'all. See you next week. Good game, Kalaine, Good game, UNC women's soccer. Few to people who call Cheryl Miller Reggie Miller's sister, he ain't the one who scored one hundred five points in a single game. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch, and Lindsay Crawdawell. Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain