Speaker 1: Are you disappointed that maybe people didn't show up numbers wise the way they should have.
Speaker 2: It's a bigger question about society. It's why are we not showing up for women, women of color, queer people, fat people, brown and black people.
Speaker 1: Thanks for watching, guys. Today's episode is brought to you by boost Mobile. Let me introduce you properly. Shit, Yes, let's get professional. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's be very serious and professional.
Speaker 1: Today's guest has built the career of telling it like it is. From beauty standards to dating to motherhood. She has never been afraid to say the quiet part out loud and make us laugh while she's doing it. She's carved out a lane that.
Speaker 2: Is entirely her own.
Speaker 1: From making history as the first woman to film a comedy special at Radio City Music Hall, that's right, that's pretty cool. Thank you so much. To adapting her best selling essay collection into the hit Netflix series Survival of the Thing Is, she is now back for her third and final season.
Speaker 2: Please welcome Michelle. Also, I gotta tell you what, It's not a New York Times bestselling book.
Speaker 1: Say best selling book, Yeah, but somebody's best selling book.
Speaker 2: But I love that people think it's the best selling because it sold pretty well, but it parlayed into something bigger than I could have imagined. And so that's why I always tell people, don't do something for a list. Wow, do it the way you want to do it. The time when the books came out and it wasn't and it didn't hit New.
Speaker 1: York Times Bestseller, did you think of that as something like you didn't achieve a certain.
Speaker 2: No, that it worked for you.
Speaker 1: But in the yeah, and sometimes we want something that we think is the important thing.
Speaker 2: I never I never wanted it, like I didn't mind if it happened. But I don't like when people put next like an unrealistic expectation on something that hasn't happened yet. That's like, I can't wait to have sex. I hope I have an orgasm. Why don't you just enjoy the moment instead of worrying about the company.
Speaker 1: You have sex and don't have an orgasm. Are you disappointed? No, because I'll figure out how to get there. But I'm just happy that I did the act because now sex for me is more about like mental health than anything. Okay, we can go down this road today.
Speaker 2: Set I got an emotional seatbelt. I know the sound guy is just like, uh oh, but but I but I also like, you don't do something for a list, don't know something for a list, but always get always have an orgasm, but.
Speaker 1: Always have an orgasm. But if you don't know that, you can still yes and enjoy the enjoy the process.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your process has been a long one, it has. I said this to Brittany before we came in, and I was like, you know, being on your show is not the first time I met you, and you don't remember the first time we met. I'm going to remind you right now, and you're gonna remember. The year was twenty thirteen. We were Wendy Williams. No, we were both guests on The Best in Me in twenty thirteen. We were on some panel talking about god knows what. But when I think about this number one, I just pulled out the picture today and my hair is I can't even believe somebody lead you were the cute, super cutest you were, I promised, very cute. I can't remember for the life of me what we talked about, right, but I remember the feeling at that time me. I was probably still chasing dreams of like having my own talk show.
Speaker 2: I still thought that was something I needed or wanted at that time.
Speaker 1: That later changed, but that feeling of like and then seeing you at that stage in your career where you're like comedians successful, but you could I could feel you chasing something. Yes, that's the only reason we would both be there.
Speaker 2: Yes, the hunger, the light, the also like you know, it was a New York show, and I do love that Bethany opened up her show, her panel to people that didn't look like her, that had different voices than her, and that's what made did a really great New York show. I remember meeting you and I was just like, I can't believe, like, oh stop, no, truly because you know, I grew up listening to you, and so you've shaped like some of my you know, adulthood, my youth going into adulthood, right, and so I'm just like I can't believe, Like I really feel like that was kind of like a little like I made it mark when I started sitting on stages with people that I admired, So that was really cool. And I ride for Bethany because I remember doing her show, didn't have any money, would go to Macy's to buy blazers and then return them right after I did the show. And one blazer I wore it was like a cape blazer and it was cool. Didn't button you got makeup on it. No, Macy's returns everything, by the way, even in receipt. And I remember her saying that that blazer's nice on you. I'm like, it's one hundred and ten dollars. I can't afford it. And she's like, you should keep it, and I'm like, Bethany, I'm not you, I can't afford it. And as I was packing up to go, one of her assistants gave me cash out of the petty cash and she said, Bethany said, displazer looks good on you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And the blazer doesn't fit, but I still have it. So did you return it and still keep the money? I just want I'm just wondering I used to have it. It's a sweet story, y know. Bethany gets a lot of shit because she's like free with her mouth sometimes and pisses people off sometimes. Yeah, And as I said to you, when you walk in, one of the things I admire about you and women like you, it's comedians especially, you have to have like created a world where people expect you to say whatever you want to say. Yeah, And I don't always do that.
Speaker 2: I'm a little more careful.
Speaker 1: I care about people's feelings, and I feel like there's such a I have to be kind of diplomatic, and I try to be, you know, and sometimes you just want let them know, one of them motherfuckers. No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm.
Speaker 1: Not saying I can't or I wouldn't. It's just sometimes I haven't really created I do create a platform where I could share and.
Speaker 2: Be vulnerable and be honest, try to be honest.
Speaker 1: But when I feel like being petty or talking some shit, like I don't necessarily feel that would be received too well because something else is it might be healing, you might for me and for other for others, for everybody, because you have to like sometimes you just gotta get it out now, Like, Look, the good thing about comedy is I am going to say the thing, but I'm also going to keep people's feelings in mind.
Speaker 2: And I think that is the huge difference between punching up or down. What am I saying it and who am I saying it about? And what am I saying it for and also I'm gonna make it funny, which is like, what a gift. But sometimes you just gotta say that shit. You gotta let motherfuckers know too.
Speaker 1: Have you ever said that ship and regretted it? Uh? Sure? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not not in a special, Not in a comedy special. No, by the time we get to the comedy special, I said what I said. Sometimes I name names, but I'm a good person, you know, and people make you know, people make mistakes, okay, you know, But sometimes you just got to say that ship. Yeah, say that could Sometimes you just gotta say that ship. If you have a platform and you can speak up for people that can't speak up for themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that I get for sure. And shit, yeah, I'm talking about the ship that is like, doesn't really help anybody. That's the ship I don't say.
Speaker 2: I like that shit.
Speaker 1: That's yeah. I'm not necessarily afraid to say some shit if I think it's for the good and going to help somebody, right, But just to talk shit and be petty and be funny, I think, I don't know. I admire people who do that, who are so free to just say I really miss Wendy Williams I think Wendy was the prime example of that. She would say shit with no regard. Oh probably would hit the hit the ground, and then have him as a guest on like a month later and roll the video back.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, so funny. If one of one, like truly a crow one time, legit a crow? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Has anybody ever ran up on you about something you said?
Speaker 1: Has that? Has it ever? Ru Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah a few times.
Speaker 1: Not a story you want to share today? Not really. I felt it. I pay attention to vibes.
Speaker 2: I felt that she's like, please, God, no, it's not a good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, guys, today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Being rebellious doesn't mean quitting your job and moving to an island. Sometimes being rebellious just means taking a few minutes to do exactly whatever it is you want to do. And that's where hard rock Bet comes in. Where you're inner rebel plays if you're in New Jersey or Michigan. The hard Rock Bet casino app has thousands of your favorite games from the casino floor, like slots, blackjack, roulette, whatever you like. And here's what I really appreciate from hard rock Bet. There's no nonsense. When you sign up, what you see is what you get. If you don't win in your first twenty four hours. After signing up, you get up to one thousand dollars back in casino bonus to play again. Plus you get five hundred bonus spins for cash eruption with winnings paid in cash. Now, Florida, listen up. Hard Rock Bet isn't forgetting about you guys. If you like slots, they have something for you too. Check out games powered by Pass motor Racing. It's not a social casino. These are real money games that are thrilling, fun and exciting, and you can play with as little as twenty cents, or you can try your luck at a bigger win all the way up to a million bucks. The best part again, there's no gimmicks. If you're a new customer in Florida, sign up and deposit ten dollars to get a one hundred dollars game bonus instantly. That's some extra fuel for your spins. So if you're ready to take some time for yourself today, download the hard rock Bet app and make your first deposit. That's the hard rock bet casino where your inner rebel plays. So where are you now in your life? Because so man, from that time that I mention in twenty thirteen, your life changed so well, the perception of it changed, but it is you had kids, you got you were married after that thirteen when you married, I was married twenty ten. Oh wow, twenty ten. Okay, so you're sixteen years married now. Yes, you had a hit show. Yeah, a hit show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a small thing. I think it's pretty amazing, right, Yeah, I got to take it in sometimes you do. I do, because when you're so busy taking these bricks and building this house of love and opportunity, sometimes you're like, ooh, my back, my shoulder, huh, and you can't see what it is. And then all of a sudden, one day you wake up and it's a beautiful house and everyone's left. And so now the end of season three feels like I'm an empty nester. You know, however people describe that feeling is what I feel like. This has been my whole life. Like I started coming up with the idea of writing a book in twenty fifteen, so to see where it is now and everybody is, you know, happily and happily on their way. I'm like, this is really nice. I just need a minute to like take it in. You know, a hit show one hundred and ninety one countries, you know, over three hundred million subscribers to Netflix is not a small thing, and so I have to constantly take that in. I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: Whoo oh, I would imagine like, first of all, even getting that yeah, and then looking at and thinking about where you were in twenty thirteen with problems with dreams of this, right. Yeah, It's like I wondered for you because when I see people like you who work so hard for something, There's been things in my life that I've worked so hard for and then you get it. For some people, it's the it's the dream. Some people it's a weird experience because it's like once you achieve the thing, yeah, that you think, this is the thing that I'm going to chase my whole life, right, so this is the thing that's going to make me happy and I'm going to feel successful. Yeah, And somebody goes, Okay, here's the thing. Yeah, do you feel things you're supposed to feel? I feel like, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean a minute I made. It was when I went on stage September fourteen, two thousand and one. That's like the first time I grabbed that mic and I was like telling some jokes about being bank bonded and rides at Disney Rides at Disney World. This is one of my first jokes. Rides at Disney World remind me of my ex boyfriend three hours of waiting for a two minute ride. I thought it was a very good joke. I think it still holds up, you know, in the pool my finger kind of world. And that was the moment where I felt like true freedom and liberation from all the like chapters of my life that I had to be like I had to straighten my hair and go to Ann Taylor Loft and have like a certain amount of money in my bank account and look for this type of man. And that was like a thing where I just felt free the minute I grabbed that mic, And so everything else has been pretty damn good. Now a TV show to get something greenlit is like amazing, right, and it's like one idea out of many that you've pitched, and then for people to respond to it, it's even better. And you know, the whole thing is like, well, you just have to keep going. Then what else? Because people are responding to what you're doing, which is nice, And what I am doing is being myself, which is great. You know, there's so many people in my life that still don't know how to be themselves, and we're all entering our fifties, and I'm like, when is it gonna happen?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: When you retire and get a hip replacement, is that when you're gonna start living for you and being yourself?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: So like I feel like no matter how tired I am, or no matter how frustrated I am with like whatever, it is like I'm still doing me. But also like when I get wrapped up and like what I don't have and frustrated about shit, it's just it's just like patriarchal shit. It's just like I don't have these numbers, But who says those numbers are important? You didn't reach these numbers? But look at all the d ms of the hearts that I've touched. What about those numbers? So every time I actually do catch myself being upset about something, it's a made up fucking thing that someone's told me I should care about and yes, like no one told me, but I had to realize that for myself. I'm just like, why is this important again? Why is this important again? Like I understand you have to make money. Yeah, we can make money if you promote me. Well, promote me like you promote all those other you know, little white boys.
Speaker 1: Or or I killed my wife mysteries, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the documentary women, it's like protect women, just not making any documentaries in what. Don't go on a cruise, no offense, that's not going a cruise. You gotta come back. It's crazy. Don't be don't get in a fight, and then going on cruise then you sure, Oh my god, get yourself a tracking device or those aren't worth it.
Speaker 1: No, oh my god. I'm not a cruise girl. I've never been a cruise girl. Maybe that's why, Maybe that's why I subconsciously, yeah, preduct yourself. When you said something about oh, knowing yourself, getting to know yourself, Yeah, when did that happen for you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's a slow burn for everybody, but for me, it happened around the people that I really love and trust. So whether it's a cousin or friends or a teacher, you know, like I felt like going to an all white school in Jersey. I learned how to coach switch at a very young age, like this is what you do here, is what you do over there with your friends.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And but the more I was able to like do whatever I do with my friends like in life, the more comfortable and successful I became.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: Even like choosing a partner or a neighborhood or whatever it is that people don't understand why I'm doing this. You know, it's like standing ten toes down and being like, but this makes me happy. So whatever you saw for me, okay, thank you for thinking of me. But I got to see for myself now. And so I think, you know, I don't know what day or like the moment I arrived to it, but it was like, little by little, we just have to do us come vibe. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: It's like, if you're how could you possibly really truly know yourself if you haven't served yourself. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. If you're like busy making everybody else happy or living a life you think other people think is right for you, how could you ever know yourself if you're always accommodating, that's right, to a version of yourself that other people see, that's right. It's a really good way to describe to And you're just like, but how are they going to receive it? And what are they going to think?
Speaker 2: And won't make them mad? And will they be proud and happy? It's like, or also use all that energy to be like, how do I do this the best way I could do it for me? So stand ten toes down and what works for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something to that that that is the guide to being confident in yourself and knowing yourself, because then you could you know what it is. No, I don't like that, or I do like that, and this is why and your decisions and your Yeah, and it's important.
Speaker 2: Though because it's like not to sound all wooboo, but I like what it's like sometimes you know what I mean, But it really is from within because I think a lot of people put like so much importance on looks and possessions and like numbers or numbers, you know, do I have the right body to be accepted? Do I have the right car, neighborhood partner? You know? Just being successful could also be just being really happy with yourself. Yes, you know are you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: M good for you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like there that doesn't mean that I'm not you know, I don't want to say second guessing myself, but like doing things a different way, or I could have done it this better, I could have done this better, handle it that way because like you know, you don't know to you know right, And I think if you're doing life right, you're like in an experience that you've never been in before. Because that's nice because then you're like always learning right. But for the most part, yes, So when people tell me no or don't get me, then I realized that I am not for them, and they're probably not for me. But no matter what, like I got me, like I know what's good for me.
Speaker 1: And you don't, then wait, don't waste your time trying to serve them at all? Yeah at all good for you.
Speaker 2: And that goes for like very immediate family members heard.
Speaker 1: You, Okay, what were the things before you became this person or you had confidence in this person? What were the things that people wanted from you? I would imagine what my goodness to do with all types of things, Like you said, body sad hair. Yeah, I think a lot of people would be very happy with me if I wasn't as loud, if I wasn't as vulgar, if I was thinner, if I had straighter hair, if I covered up my freckles, if I you know, if I was just more.
Speaker 2: Dainty and demure. But that's not for me. Imagine you spent your whole life trying to be all of those things.
Speaker 1: How could you be happy?
Speaker 2: I couldn't know. It'd be a prison.
Speaker 1: You know, many people are walking around life in that prison a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad that they find my show.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh god, I can only imagine the responses that you've gotten. It's pretty great from people. Yeah, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: It's like heartfelt, but also jarring that like from people in their teens to like in their seventies.
Speaker 1: What is it though? What are they saying?
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of overall like people not giving themselves the license to be who they are, want to be, love who they want to be, you know, finding joy, happiness a spark. So many women from so many different countries are like, I'm going to stop wearing black, I'm gonna try color now. Oh I love that I'm saying yes, but then it's also like this is the first time I've left since my daughter died or my husband's cancer came back. Oh, and especially with this season, people are you know, this season has resonated with people in a different way, you know, down to like health care, you know, and the access to health care, and the shame that you know, doing IVF for whatever kind of treatment you need comes with, and that people don't know how to talk about it and they feel bad that they even have to. It's so insane and I'm so glad I chose to tell that story because I also don't like to live and regret and like, I don't like to live in regret in like probably a very unhealthy way where I will order half the menu just so I can see it, because I don't want food envy, you know what I mean. I don't want to go home and think I should have ordered that. So I want to see what all the appetizers look like. Yeah, I mean, so I will order two meals because I don't want regret. I won't I'll take one home, like I'm not gonna like, you know, it's on a food eating contest, but like I just have to know. Life is too short. We're not promised tomorrow. And so these messages of people and even take IVF out of it, you know, like beautiful non binary and trans people figure out how to get access to whatever kind of health care they need, understanding what it's like pumping their body up hormones and not feeling like themselves on the journey to being themselves, you know, doing whatever you have to do that's physically possible to have the life that you want, you know, that's like, but still making it funny.
Speaker 1: Still making it funny, and still making the characters whole. Yeah, you know, we were talking about that earlier about the show. It's like there's been there's been lots of shows and people who have been public about especially just like you know, wait and body shaming inside. But I feel like the way you guys do it is so it's not the main it's not the headline. Yeah it's in there, yes, but it's not. It's just part of the story. It's not necessarily like and it's not done in a way where it's like condescending. You know. Sometimes people Yes, I don't know if I'm saying this right, you are.
Speaker 2: No things back to when you're on set, because you know it's such like a New York moment for to like go on like a very popular like radio show podcast and go in the lines then and think it's gonna be one thing.
Speaker 1: I loved coming to that show. Those of you have not seen my episode. It was two I played. I played on the Dawn the podcast host, and you were the guests, and I had the little gotcha moment on the show. It was so it was so much fun, and the cast, so many women on sets. Yes, you could just tell that the love was poured into this project if you could feel it on set.
Speaker 2: Oh good, I'm so glad you felt that. And I hated leaving.
Speaker 1: I was only there. I was only one there, and I wasn't like enough right YouTube grit. We were there and we were like, we want to come back here every day, and so I can only imagine for you, yeah, god to be. Was it like that all the time or did we just have an incredible experience out all the time since day one? Well? Fun, fun, funny, collaborative. Everybody there wants to be there, Yes, everybody has your back. How do we make it better? This is a long day let's do this together type. It's how do you create that world, that environment of people that feel that way?
Speaker 2: You just you are that way, right, Like like it starts from the top, and I'm number one on the call sheet, you know, the co creator of the show and stirring in it. And so you know, you know what is that saying, happy wife, happy life? Yeah, I'm the wife. And yes, we could talk about weight and fat phobia, transphobia and and all that stuff and like gender bending fuckery and all that stuff, but like, we are so much more than our size, We are so much more than our shape and our shade and all that. But we are also very much stronger together. And so I'm like, how do we do it? Like, how do we address it but still keep it moving? You know, don't sit in it? And that's the thing about comedy too, and also like live just a live space. It's timing. You know, you got to hit it and move on, you know, hit it and quit it, move on. Why are we sitting here? Yes, you know, because then you become you're serving just this one thing. Really, if you're doing that, you're.
Speaker 1: Probably doing it for everyone else because authentically to you, yes, you're not sitting around thinking about that all night.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to sit and spin on somebody, well my husband, but still and also like also like, you know, you have to be confident in what you're saying. Yeah, say the thing and move on.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like when I.
Speaker 2: First started to stand up, everybody was like, oh, we got We're gonna switch it up.
Speaker 1: Now we got a female coming to the stage. That means a lady.
Speaker 2: It was like, why are you doing this whole biology? What do we They could tell you, Oh, no, we gotta move on. You ain't got to say Michelle, you tawe.
Speaker 1: We got a lady, was switch it up. It's like, just get me on the stage up, say the thing and move on. The thing's my name, move on, you know what I mean. So it's like that, It's like, say the thing and move on. Such a good job at it. Just speaking of sitting on your husband, you clearly like sitting on your husband.
Speaker 2: You've made it sixteen years. Yeah, that's pretty great. Yeah, and he's so great, Like, I just love a man that just loves me down. Holy, lets me sit on his face.
Speaker 1: That's so sweet. I like that. That was good, so sweet. Look sweet I love that for you. I love that for you. Yeah, I really like him. I like him. Oh my god, that's the best. You know what's so fascinating about this to me? Why what you started? Yeah, this was a one night stand. Yes, this is not how normally the story goes. See, this is the problem. You set off false expectations. So then women think, oh, I'm gonna go have this one night stand. It'll probably be my hu it's been for sixteen years. Don't think that. Well, I didn't say all that. I didn't write a book for it to be like a New York Times bestseller. I just wrote a book, right, you know, just love into it.
Speaker 2: It's whatever it is. I liked a really nice one.
Speaker 1: I stand like I like you know, all the love you put in a relationship or putting one. I stand. Were you a one nice saying girl? Or was this like a rare Did my mom ask you to ask that? She did? She did? She called? Or was this the first time you'd ever had one and it just so happened? He was? He was the one, Miss ma'am. Okay, But I'm just saying, miss ma'am, okay, you've seen the hips.
Speaker 2: They don't lie no, this is yeah, it just so happened. So yeah, it was like musical chairs, but with dix and then you saddled the right one and then I won.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Thank you so much. What was the thing. How did you know this was the right chair? I didn't.
Speaker 2: I just felt safe and I was forty. Now, you know, I didn't just wake up one day and say I am fan of one night stands like I had. I took life way too seriously when I was younger. I wanted to wait till I was married to have sex. And I had like very serious boyfriends in high school and college that both cheated on me, and I was like torn up. And in high school it was like a really good friend, one of my best friends, and so I was like torn up. And so what I see my friends going through in their forties and fifties getting a divorce.
Speaker 1: It's like what I went through. I was listening to Anita Baker and all types of stuff at like sixteen seventeen, I should have had a bob and a cigarette and being like, you know, I was waiting to exail in high school.
Speaker 2: It was horrible, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Now on the other side because I kind of like was Benjamin Button with like dating and so in college, I also was like, we should get married and I love you and I have your back and your family's my family. And then when he cheated on me, I was like, maybe I just do me. And I didn't like dating. I like doing stand up. I like working, I like making money.
Speaker 1: I like doing me.
Speaker 2: And that's how I met him. Wow, because I didn't have the expectation of this is a date.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: Where are you from, what's your job? What do you want to do? I felt like I'm a manager on LinkedIn looking for an employee when I was dating, and I was like, I want to hang out with my friends, you know, let loose, order half the menu, get a little tipsy, talk shit, you know, to work a little bit of home, you know. And again I love stand up and I felt like there was no dating is like a second job. Now you should go out on dates if that's your thing.
Speaker 1: Do that.
Speaker 2: I think you should go out on dates with people because you have to see how they act in public. Do they have manners? How do they treat the white staff? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do they chew like a cow? Oh?
Speaker 2: You know, problematic, gross, actually gross, like no table manners. I can't put my face in your crutched.
Speaker 1: You know what's so funny is that I've said this before. I've thought this before, Like, I don't think people prepare young people for heartbreak at that level. Yeah, and we all like, oh, in my high school, I got my heart broken, and you say it like it's a no big deal. So if I'm in high school and I see that, I think, oh, it's no big deal. I think when it happens to a young person, yeah, so intensely like that. Yeah, they're not really prepared for it, and it shapes you. It shapes you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because what I remember is life as I knew. It was completely different.
Speaker 1: The next day. So you were all in.
Speaker 2: I was all in.
Speaker 1: You believed the fairy tale or the not fairy tale. You believe, Yeah, I guess fairy tale.
Speaker 2: But I believed people. I didn't think people could lie to me. I believe people like he was my Sannah, Like I believe him, like I also was like converting to Islam for him, like I believed him. And then I realized, oh, people can lie. And outside of that, I realized.
Speaker 1: People lie.
Speaker 2: But that's because they're lying to themselves. They want to be the version of the person that they want to be, but don't know how to do it truthfully, and that means having hard conversations and also maybe not liking yourself for a little bit. And then I realized after that, like, oh, this is about you, not me. I have to like be my most authentic self because if I'm trying to make you happy, then I'm also lying and I'm like, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: That experience, though, sometimes could make women not trust again, or it be hard to jump into a relationship or a marriage or yes, but you decided to at some point your husb and I guess convinced you or I mean, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Like it was long distance for a very long time, for almost two years, and I didn't even know where Holland was on a map.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I was like, how do I trust this guy? I don't even know how to say his name, Like you know, I'm like, fly, we're doing long distance. And Holland is also very different too, because like you know, it's not as like there is not as how do I describe it like sexual there, Like there isn't this emphasis on like sexuality, yes, and misogyny and stuff, so like even the spas are co ed, like bodies are just bodies and people are just like friends with people, and I'm like, you're you are friends with your exit. That's weird. But it's a smaller country and so you just gotta know who you gonna know. And I'm like, okay, so it took me a long time to like fully trust him, but bigger picture, like the process of giving your heart to someone, but I'm glad I did because it worked out. You know, there was a choice where I was like, I could be upset about all this, but I know I'm amazing, So why am I feeding into this like jealousy bullshit? And I don't want to be jealous. That's like road rage is such a wasted emotion and it's like for what and for who and at some moment and looking in his eyes and believing him and knowing how I felt about him, I'm like, jealousy really doesn't serve me. And it's really like a thing that happens when people haven't realized their power yet. And I'm like, bitch, realize your power. Like you guys are good together. Oh, you know. Yes, it's important.
Speaker 1: It's important to naming the bad stuff, Like, maybe should just make a story about this. I feel like this could be like your next show. No give him the stuff to do does not show in time?
Speaker 2: All right, okay, you have nothing? You have a plan after the show? No, no, I don't.
Speaker 1: You don't, I don't when the show is over, I don't know the show is over, right, But you're still promoting it. You're still in, You're still yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm still definitely like connected and yeah, yeah, promoting it, but I don't usually I have a follow up right away. But this took so much out of me, especially like directing a very personal episode that I'm I've decided to give myself time to enjoy and also rest and heal from this whole process. Good for you, yeah, because jumping into like very dark traumatic moments in your life for art can be dangerous. And kim Win, one of my directors, you know, she was like, be careful because once you hit that other side sometimes it's hard to like come back. And so I remember that going in, and when I tapped into it, I was like, oh, I get it, because for three days I was just crying. Wow, and I would be ordering my lunch.
Speaker 1: I'm like aspectus and generous, but everyone's like, okay, got it, Okay, Yeah, I don't know what this is the personal thing. I don't even know if I need to talk about it, but I will share this because you just said it to me. I just had an experience, and now I understand why based on what you just told me.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what was happening to me. So I did a documentary like a year ago.
Speaker 1: It was my first directing, my first thing, and my friend, the person I directed was a friend of mine, and he was telling me about this experience of making this song he made Brooklyn's Finus Jason Clark Clark Kent DJ Clark Kent. Right. So I'm working on a documentary with him for like a year directing it, and he's telling me about the making of Brooklyn's Finance, bringing jay Z and Biggie in and the day he did this and the how he tricked them to be in the studio together. So I could I actually, I'm now realizing what happens to me. I took I had it inside me, the story, overtelling the story so many times that I almost could see it. I can almost be present in the making of it. So then the other day I'm at the Jay Z concert and he's playing Brooklyn's Finance, and I could feel something coming up, and I'm like, what is this? Like what he's been He's been gone for a little while now, you know, I've cried about it, I've been fine, And so I could feel it coming up and I realized I was seeing it the way I would imagine he would see it, because it was like inside of me, right, And so I was having that feeling and then Jay says, shout out to a rest in peace DJ Clarkett, and he said that, and I I just like lost it and I couldn't figure out why. It was just I was so emotional and I couldn't figure it. And now you just explained to me what was happening. It's because I ingested something that sits now inside of me. Yes, And then in that moment it kind of came back up. And so I could only imagine for you, in directing an episode of IVF and having all the emotions inside of you already. Yeah, it's like you're re ingesting it in a way. Yeah. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Does that what you're happening into that?
Speaker 1: Yes, interesting. Yeah, I'd never experienced that before. So and I didn't even know that that's what I was experiencing until you just explained it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I didn't know until it happened to me.
Speaker 1: So what what? What was the did you? So? Why did you decide? Was it just because you know you had been through that and decided to direct that specific episode.
Speaker 2: Well, we were telling a story about IVF and you know, and we were trying to like figure out timeline and what is useful and serves the story and what's important and honoring the story. And one day, like like months and months in like we have good stories already like lined up. I I just told everyone, like my writer my writer's room. I'm like, it can't just all be good. It can't just all be like shots. It's not that like some heavy shit goes on. You know, your eggs aren't viable, you don't have a heartbeat, you are completely in like just insanely anxious for each appointment because you're just waiting for bad news, you know. So I'm like, there's got to be some of that in there in order for it to feel like a real story, and I'm like, I realized we're doing a comedy. Okay, it will be funny, but the funny will be the relief, the release you feel after putting your body through that. And I did so much of it for so long and still maintained to have like a career as happy clown. So I'm like, let's just do it. We can do it. We just have to figure it out. And so we cracked the We cracked the code. I can't believe we did it, but everybody was like really cool and vulnerable and to share and like even like put in other people's stories and like figure out how we can like just mind the material to have it make sense. But ultimately it was the things that I went through, and I thought nobody else could direct me but me, especially through this process, because even if somebody had four losses in five years and hundreds of thousands of dollars spent, their experience will be different than mine. So I chose the hot seat, and I'm glad I and I'm glad I did because now I know I already knew I could do hard things, but like other hard things, you know, and now I know I can go into I can go on a set and direct someone because I know what I needed for myself and I was able to do that, And yeah, and I would love to do that for someone. Mmm, would that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What do you say to somebody who's about to go on an IVF journey or somebody maybe that's supporting someone who was in the midst of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what should we know? I mean if you are going through an IVF journey or about to go through one. My friend Jordan Carlos told me this when my surrogate was pregnant and it was like still high risk and all stuff, and he goes, you know, Michelle, sometimes you can have a happy ending. And so I really held on to that because the happy ending might not look like how you want it to be, but it's still good. So hold on to the positive parts, you know. And for someone who knows someone going through it, I mean, all you have to do is show up and say, okay, are you okay? I'm here for you. You don't have to like explain or fix or overstand or like have an article or a link and tell them what they should and shouldn't be doing. Eat less of this, more of that. You don't have to do. You don't have to do that. She you don't have to be doctor oz. He ain't even a doctor. Oh no, oh no, she said what she said, what she said.
Speaker 1: Said it was funny, right, but yeah, just be there.
Speaker 2: Are you okay? Can I take you out for a sandwich?
Speaker 1: That's it?
Speaker 2: Where the days you were not okay?
Speaker 1: One hundred one. I have never experienced that, so I don't I could understand you, but not I don't, you know, I don't know what that process is like.
Speaker 2: So it's a shit show because you're made to feel guilty for having a family in this alternative way that is not supported by healthcare. It is a little bit better now, but the fact that we don't have access to IVF in the way that we should. We don't have access to like basic health care. The fact that we don't even have access to like like the most basic human needs is just like so insane to me.
Speaker 1: But then a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people don't know about it, and so there's like conversations that you can't have because then you're gonna have to explain stuff to someone that you don't fully know how to explain and they can't take in. You know, there's already shame in saying that you want a kid or that you don't want a kid, you know, instead of just like, whatever you want, I want that for you, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, the basics, the basics. Yeah, and then it's just like you're too old or you're too young, or you should lose weight, you should like not work as much, and you know, and then there's like the the feelings of shooting yourself up with hormones and not realizing that, Like you're doing a fun.
Speaker 2: Scene with Gene is it Gina Rodriguez? Is that her name?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 2: Right, yes, and yeah the version y.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did a movie with her. I was in a scene with her. I don't remember the name of the movie. It was hilarious. How do you do a movie and don't remember the name? That's fascinating.
Speaker 1: I know. I had fun because you've done so much. Look, it just goes through a day. Do you like it? Perfect?
Speaker 2: But it was supposed to be one scene, like four lines, and then we ended up improving this whole thing. I was hopped up in hormones. I think I was like probably experienced the miscarriage at the time, and at one point, like her boyfriend breaks up with her. I start crying because the hormones are there, but the jokes are there too, And then she starts reacting to me crying.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why break up with you? With them big ass teeth chomping on his date? Why he don't want that?
Speaker 2: And she's like gro what? And I was like gro by and we had a toime. But like there's also like leaving that set feeling nuts, like what just happened?
Speaker 1: What just happened? That's that's how I felt that the jay Z concert really yeah, because I was crying in this I'm in them with the terror squad in the bo vip suite and everybody's just drinking duce and a space and having a good time. When a jay Z concert and I'm like crying.
Speaker 2: It was terrible, but it's emotional. I know, HU cry now And it's history, yeah, you know, And it's like also like it's also remembering of like what that time was, Like that was a good time, you know for sure. So that's how you felt when you left the set.
Speaker 1: You were like what was going on with me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I remember, like my husband made a sandwich and he left crumbs on the kitchen counter. And I started crying. I was like, I can't live like this. I might need a divorce. I'm like, you don't think about me, you know? And he was like, or is it the hormones.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I like him so much? Yeah, I'm a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's a pretty good guy.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. I know. Did he say it that calm? Yeah, he did. My type of person.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a virgo. So these earth signs be keeping me. That's so good. Yeah, you said something before. What did you call it? The comic?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: What did you call it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Called it a comic?
Speaker 1: What you do? It's like you just said it like a couple of minutes ago. God, I should have wrote it down. Oh my gosh, what did I say?
Speaker 2: I don't get me started. It was like the comic face, So the comic I don't remember.
Speaker 1: This is what.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what movies.
Speaker 1: Like you like possessed like you just say things. I don't remember what movies I'm in. It gave me a sense that you had an idea about like how comedy you people use comedy as like a shield. It's like a oh, like to be guarded, no, like to cover up like you're being funny. Oh did I misread something you said? Totally? I don't know. I really do be forgetting stuff like do you ever and be like the two of us together just you don't even know what you said. I can't remember that questions we're crying, We're only here crying. Oh shit, it's stupid. It's just so dumb. I don't think. God, I we're an adult typo. How are you doing with age? You know what? Because you're about to be what forty nine? I think I'm doing okay, you know.
Speaker 2: My body's just like I hope this person doesn't like this chair because you're about to sneeze.
Speaker 1: The ruin it.
Speaker 2: But other than that, like I don't remember most things like where I just was and what I just said. But other than that, but I do feel the need to like be as healthy as possible.
Speaker 1: I think something happens.
Speaker 2: When you're an older parent, Like my kids are seven, and I want them to get older.
Speaker 1: But the happy place is.
Speaker 2: Like I don't want to get older. I don't want to get older to like hold on to youth or whatever. I just want to be there for them all the time. So that's like the main thing about aging that I'm like anxious about. I just want to be there for the health of it all. Yeah, I want to be there for them. I want to know how their day was and smell them and hold them and just have them tell me whatever story they want to tell me, or look to just completely ignore.
Speaker 1: Me in a room. And I'm fine with that. Are you obsessed with your child upset? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I might be like, I'm yeah. Whatever you think of, like neurodivergent people doing, That's how I am with my kids. I'm like, ah, Like I just love to clean their ears and clip their toenails and braid their hair. Do you so great?
Speaker 1: Do you? I wonder sometimes like my girlfriend Adrian, you know Adrian how and she used to be on the rail. Yeah, she also had IVF and then wind up having a surrogate. Oh the way she loves on her son. Yeah, it's because she wanted. I mean, she's she's just a good soul, you know she she would have probably been a great mother anyway. But something about wanting children and working so hard to be a mother. Yeah, the way motherhood hits I think it's a little different. Not to say, well, there's all I love my kids to death too. But I'm just saying I notice in friends who have really had a difficult time getting there, yeah, that you experience your kids in it. I don't know. I think you do.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. I think there's like there's a thing that happened when I first brought them home, or like not even brought them home, but like out in public where I didn't know because everyone wants to know your birth story, like right away twins had it, and you're like, it's very jarring because it's like do you tell people your story? It felt like it could have gone into imposter syndrome for a minute because I'm like, these are my kids. But but again, because of who I am, and I have to remind myself of how I live being in a new situation now in my life, in a new chapter, this is who I am, this is what happened. And I realized sharing my truth not only will educate but also probably help someone being there. So I'm just like, this is what it is, and this is how they came to be. But there was a moment too where I was like, am I doing the most at motherhood? Because I didn't carry them? And now that there's seven and I'm still running myself.
Speaker 1: Ragged, doing the most, doing the most. I'm like, oh, this is who I ye know. It's just like sometimes I just like to make sweet potato waffles from scratch when I got to be somewhere at eight am, and I'll wake up at six am to do it. This is who I am. I want to make sure they eat good, but just know that that might change. There's seven, but when they're sixteen, you might not be in that phase of life. You might be like one hundred. What's the math? When they're sixteen? How old am I? Uh? What are you? In nine years? You're gonna be fifty eight? No, yeah, yeah, fifty eight fifty.
Speaker 2: I'll be on my like hollyberry shit and I have to like use like a spray to still get wet. And I'll be boogie ubrals and a captain, you know, getting my hair wet, jumping off of boats like Beyonce and or Gabriel Union, and I'll have like a really nice skincare line, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think my feet will still be sucked up. Just you know, ther vision for yourself is so clear, Thank you so much. Yeah, I just want soft feet.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: I don't even need soft life any soft feet and a wet and a wet vagina soft feet, you know, hard money, wet pussy soft life.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to You're like, It's like when I get my mom likes She's like you like it? I love it?
Speaker 2: Since mm, that's it, That's what I want for myself.
Speaker 1: How about that, halle Berry? Huh? How about it? How about if not as because you talked about the allointments and stuff, but she also has a gadget that is some type of red light. Have you seen this? Yes, I don't know if I need don't it. I'm not saying you need it. I'm fascinated. Okay, what if you were saying that? I heard? So I heard. By the way we have I r L wh so like we don't get a lot of oxygen down there, So I guess the red light?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? What? What? What is wrong with us?
Speaker 2: It doesn't get aired out a lot? Okay, so I'm sure the red light makes it feel like it's got some warmth on there is that is that?
Speaker 1: Is that? Look?
Speaker 2: I'm not doctor Oz, but I will say, I don't even play one on TV, although I did play orthopedic surgeon, did you? I did in First Wives Club. I don't know how to spelt worthopedic, like what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What are we doing? It was probably in the script it was.
Speaker 2: Beatt plush, probably shout out you have your past word.
Speaker 1: More water? You can't we have we have unlimited supply water.
Speaker 2: You guys got the good budget water and on crustables there they're like, go outside, Yeah, you have to what for yours because there's no sun down there?
Speaker 1: Right? Is that right? Yeah? No, No, it's important to Factestetician No serious, can somebody chat GPT it? It stimulates my andria minochandria which DC, thank yous, avatar, thank you so much, anaconda vagina, it's it's stimulates. I'm so sorry. No, you've opened so many questions. I have so many follow up questions about oxygen and do we get enough oxygen?
Speaker 2: Brittany says, they're women who, yeah.
Speaker 1: You have to sunbathe with theirs open.
Speaker 2: Well, if you have like a colation down there, like sometimes it gets a little purple or like dark brown or black, is because it doesn't get enough sun.
Speaker 1: Oh it is something I've never considered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I've learned so much from you today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I could talk.
Speaker 2: I could just talk about bodies all day, like really, we're fast, it's fascinating, and we don't know anything about our body until something goes wrong. Oh my god, you know more about our car than our bodies, and our bodies are like fucking amazing. So that's why I'm just like celebrate. And also no, no, it's powerful.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, are you like a naked person, like do you enjoy being naked? You got it?
Speaker 2: You are her, you got it. You picked it up right away stead of Roger, your camera guy, he's like a bitch, we're the naked family.
Speaker 1: Are you sunbathing your vagina for oxygen?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, I mean no, not with all the fruit flies and stuff.
Speaker 1: Just kidding, but like will, I will never under say that.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, but yeah, I just like to be freak. I would ever consider that. Now you've put fruit flies into the equation. I'm so sorry. I was doing Bebby Smith's podcast in ben and it was in Miami and there were fruit flies down there, and I was like, I'm sorry, and she's like, it's the neck.
Speaker 1: To Darling, it's a sweet neck doll. And I was like, thanks, Bebby, Wow what hype woman. But anyway, yeah, I like to be a little free because you know what it is too. I always had a like like I've had this body.
Speaker 2: It was bigger when I was like eleven or twelve, and so I always had to like be under a male gaze, like stand up straight, not too straight?
Speaker 1: Where bra you know? Do this? Do that?
Speaker 2: Like button down shirt, button down shirts and Catholic school my whole life. And now I'm like, I'm free. I'm just free to be who I want, how I want, And this is how I'm comfortable. I still put on clothes when people come over. You put them only when people come over, yes, And when they're not there, it's off.
Speaker 1: It's off, you know.
Speaker 2: And the wonder Woll in my house is like, we have to wear clothes at the dinner table, like we can't all Winnie the poet.
Speaker 1: At dinner? Have we lunch? You know, yes, lunch? What kind of question is that? Such?
Speaker 2: Wait asked, what are the quests? You have?
Speaker 1: All the cards?
Speaker 2: It was on the card I want to if you were clothing for like, really, yes, no, it's not.
Speaker 1: Why would that be in the car? Why would I even know that we were going to go? Heree, This whole conversation is not unexpected. It's taking so many unexpected turns, just like the Jersey Turnpike. She is a Jersey girl. We did have a Jersey card that we didn't get to today.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, what is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just a background.
Speaker 1: And you come from where you come from, growing up in Jersey and you have your parents are Jamaican and Haitian, which is amazing because isn't there like a there's always something something right. It's like Puerto Ricans and Dominicans and Jamaican and Haitians, Dominicans, Dominicans and Jamaicans too. I grew up with a lot Jamaicans. Always felt like one thinks they're better than the other.
Speaker 2: Always yeah, you know, Cuba, it's all coolbia Venezuela, it's all but you know, same at the end of the day, we're all just like beautiful souls trying to figure out how to do life.
Speaker 1: Word, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's a lot of Caribbean.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of Caribbean in the home, it is, how is that navigating your choices like who I want to date, what I want to look like, what I want to do for a career, any old school Haitian Jamaican ideas that kind of went against any of that?
Speaker 2: Or are your parents pretty liberal and modern? But a great question.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 2: I feel like they were. They were strict, they were religious, they were conservative, but they also weren't like our families are so big that everybody was sort of like making the right and the wrong choices. So by the time it got to me and they realized I was who I was, They're like, just be a good person. Don't get pregnant in high school.
Speaker 1: Just you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They're like, because I was always like in a small class. I didn't even realize I was like dyslexic till later in life and and you know, probably have add hello and so they were just like, just be a good person. We want the best for you. But you know, and I feel like by the time they got to me, they're like, it's not going to be a doctor, it's not gonna be a lawyer. She can't remember anything.
Speaker 1: Did they think you were funny. Yeah, is it always taken well?
Speaker 2: So no, No, my funny to them sometimes was just like very American, but my funny to my friends was like very Caribbean. So that's the great thing about being first generation, like you're just you really do have the best of both worlds.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: While when we went to Jamaica it was like be free, b you be proud of your body, while we were in America, it's like, you know again, straighten your hair like iron your shir like you know, you have to like go along to get along, assimilate. You don't have to tell everybody where your parents are from. You know, we're from here. And so you know, now realizing how my dad was about being Haitian coming here in the sixties and what's going on with Ice, I realized why he was the.
Speaker 1: Way he was.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you mean, like careful or trying to blend the trying to stimilate or yeah, like not giving people too much information about you that they can hold against you, you know, not Yeah, not being as like freeing spaces as you could have been because of the government. I always thought he was paranoid, but this is the time he was talking about It's like he knew yeah, yeah, yeah, fascinating right. Yeah, but I wouldn't change it for the like I wouldn't change it for the world. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean because I like good food in your house. My god, oh very My dad was a cook. He was he was a cook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm looking at my kids now, like they can't even make a sandwich. I'm like I was cut and chicken up when I was when I was their age, when I was seven. Yeah, I was laying my clothes out at five, making my breakfast and it.
Speaker 1: Was a different world. It really is on the subway at seven by myself, like a crazy child, and I really ain't even Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does that make my mother sound like a bad parent.
Speaker 1: No, Well, because we all were and we were going to school. So I was on the bus, on the train and the bus or walking Careah, well maybe eight. I was eight when I used to go by myselok at that it.
Speaker 2: Were so independent. Meanwhile, I'm like chasing my kids around with the water bottle.
Speaker 1: What am I doing? Said? Water? By Drason station? Did you were like you were doing connections? You were like giving people directions. I had to sit in the near the conductor that was my one Oh, that was my one direction. Sit near the conductor case anything goes wrong. Huh No, I would. I would sit next to the conductor. I would feel safe. I would think the conductor who didn't know me, but I just I was like fake security. Yeah he didn't know. You know, the conductors never know. But when you were young, that's what our parents used to say. No, you're from Jersey, so probably different than being in the city, right, Like, yeah, I'd be like, sit near the conductor. I did the city, ED.
Speaker 2: Did the city. I did Long Island. I just I did a lot of it was growing up in Jersey was like, you know.
Speaker 1: It was dope.
Speaker 2: I wish it was less aggressive.
Speaker 1: Because by the time I went to college in Miami, I'm like, who were fighting tonight?
Speaker 2: And everyone's like, nobody.
Speaker 1: Calmed down, Vammitch sequin shirt stop. I'm like, wait, fight nobody. So I'm so like, you know, I'm thankful for a lot of things. Well, like, no way, I used to fight that much. We had to get to our irol questions. But I have to ask you no Way before we do. I just have to ask you this, are you are you disappointed that maybe people didn't show up numbers.
Speaker 2: Wise the way they should have for this spot for the show. That's a really good question because it's it's a bigger question about society.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: It's why are we not showing up for women, women of color, queer people, fat people, brown and black people. It isn't just showing up for my comedy show. It's showing up for people trying to get their papers in order for ice or like you know, for immigration and still being detained and sometimes killed by ice. Do you know what I mean? It's showing up for marginalized communities, And so what do I expect?
Speaker 1: What did I expect?
Speaker 2: It's really hard to crack, you know, the code. That's why you have to celebrate the Quintas and everybody else, because it's really hard. Because I and I'm saying this as the most positive person.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're the glasses half full girl, I am.
Speaker 2: But I also have to be realistic in what society did these norms tell us and show us we have to show up for we have to show up for each other, and we have to respect each other. But like there's so many levels of like disrespect on just even comedy and female comedy. There's the reason why you're never gonna see Best Picture at the Oscars that's not only a comedy, but you know, probably with a bunch of black people, unless it's like pain porn. There's like, there's just a bigger picture that doesn't have to do with me. But I'm just gonna do my best to do what I do, and so do. I wish the numbers were like astronomical, just so I could say to like, you know, capitalism essentially, look at this, it matters, we matter, and now you can see because of the money. Yes, but the truth of the matter is a lot of people probably can't afford these platforms, or they just don't know about it because they're working, or it doesn't show up in their algorithm, because that doesn't serve the advertising, because everyone's.
Speaker 1: Like, who's this show for.
Speaker 2: If people don't et there's I remember Glad came to set for Peppermint's wedding episode in season two and shared some wild facts about trans people, and one of them was people in America, most people believe that they've seen a ghost before a trans person.
Speaker 1: So yes, But so all this to say, the bigger picture is.
Speaker 2: What we were saying about us, you know, the respect and the support we get as marginalized communities, like essentially. So wow, yeah, I don't remember the question at this point, I really went awful one or.
Speaker 1: Were you disappointed that, oh yes, that people didn't show up in a bigger way?
Speaker 2: But I feel yeah, and I feel like the people that needed it did show up, Like I can't. You can't compete with like people who literally are pouring their hearts out in DMS messages and letters to you of how this show say not only saved them, but like change how they saw themselves and people in the world. So I'm like, oh, job, will, dumbitch, you did it, you know what I mean? Yeah, And we had a good time off set, and we didn't trauma bond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know everybody.
Speaker 2: I know, everybody told their therapists they had a good time. Okay, I mean we didn't have any avocados, but other than that, the guacamolea that government tub did as well.
Speaker 1: Well done, then thank you so much. We'll then very well done. Well look here, so that now that you're moving forward, I know you're taking a break right now, a little break. I said that, Well, I'm taking like a mental like well not not that is what you said to me, I know, but not like a break where like don't call me, I'm not available, all right, call me, I'm available for you still have something set up right yet like kind of put maybe you got a little maybe got little seeds. Okay, you got seeds. But yes, I'm not like there is always wonder if you go into it differently based on where this landed in the world. Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's it's exciting, you know. I wrote a couple of things that I'm trying to see where they go. But like you know, I can't wait to see me too, Like I don't kind of how everybody shows up the way they're supposed to.
Speaker 2: For it, thank you? I mean August twenty first, I don't know when this rash. August twenty first, have a movie coming out called Spot Weekend Elizabeth Leslie Man, Anna Faris and Isla Fisher, and that's really fun because it is giving Mount rushmore comedy. Is there a reason that you say comedy so aggressively.
Speaker 1: So people know him sarruh's Oh my god? Wait were those questions? Those were most of those were my IRL questions haven't even begun the IRL question. Shit, hey guys, you ever signed up for a phone plan thinking Wow, what a great price, and then a few months later it's like, surprise, your bill is higher. We hate that. With Boost Mobile, you pay twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, texts, and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month. There's no price hikes, there's no contract, and this is forever. Plus, Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They invested billions building five G towers across the country. So you need to do is visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local Boots store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speed is not available in all areas. After thirty gigabytes, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan. Well, first, we have a voice note. This is presented by Boost Mobiles. Is a segment where somebody calls in or sends a message or I don't know what it is. Sometimes it's a comment. Sometimes it's a question. Okay, what do we got from Michelle today? So what's your name?
Speaker 2: Where you came from?
Speaker 1: Hey? Michelle?
Speaker 2: So fat girls.
Speaker 3: The movie with Monique was such a rare example of a plus sized black woman getting to be funny, romantic and fully realized on screen. Survival of the Thickest feels like it's building on that legacy. Was Monique or that film and inspiration for you at all?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? I want to say yes, but no, I want to say but no. It wasn't like Monique is always like Monique is always like.
Speaker 2: She's in the Zeigeist for me for sure. And it wasn't just that movie, like Monique is that bitch, you know, like the talk show, the movies, the stand up specials, the multi hyphen it, the loving yourself no matter what. So it wasn't necessarily that movie. It was just Monique in fact, like the mo the m Apostrophe, because there's more of her, like I put that in the show, like moment that's like episode one, season one, you know, when Khalil asked, Mavis, don't you always say think girls I have in a moment, She's like moment like m Apostrophe. You know so yes in that part, yes that you know, yes Monique there, but no not necessarily the.
Speaker 1: Sure you don't have to apologize for your truth. That's when I don't never mind if you took that move. You told us that today. All right, now we have an IRL ball.
Speaker 2: Go into the ball.
Speaker 1: Oh there's some meaningful in real life questions. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Uh so pick up question. Oh look at y'all be printing stuff and cutting it out. Yeah, we have a crap. We have ll arts graph department.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Oh.
Speaker 2: If you could instantly master any skill, what would it be.
Speaker 1: Quefing? Okay, see.
Speaker 2: You think that's right?
Speaker 1: Can't It's like would what would mastering that entail? Good question?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but if you were mastering it, you would know. I guess it's like direction of air.
Speaker 1: Oh, like like target targeting. Maybe carry on the next question. Thank you.
Speaker 2: If God were to text you right now, what would it say?
Speaker 1: It's text? Oh okay, that's my favorite question of the ball. Really it seems light, but try to answer it and see what happens for you. If you got a text message from God, yeah, what would it say to you? It would say something along the lines of keep going. You're doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. I think it's pretty good too. That's often what she tells me. What's something you used to be embarrassed about that you own now? Oh my goodness, my body for sure.
Speaker 1: I thought you were never I thought you were always.
Speaker 2: No, I'm no, You're not born that way.
Speaker 1: You just yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess I don't think we're born with insecurities, but people put them on you, and I'm like, this is weird. I thought I was doing good, and I was like, oh, I guess I'm I never saw myself in magazines were chiev each like, so I didn't know, and so I would cover up and be like, I guess I'm not doing this. But man, the moment I found like a halter top or a tank top or like a thing or you know, when I just started to do me a little bit more, I'm like, this is good. Why would it be anything else? You know, And also like getting out of my mind of like am I not enough for him to be with me?
Speaker 1: That sucked.
Speaker 2: But the minute I was like, you're welcome to this body because it's amazing orgasm. Who knew?
Speaker 1: This is great? I know I'm just gonna do like a for every woman, no matter the size, because if it's not weight, it's the your hips or your brooding proportion, or it's short. Yeah. Well, I think there's all types of insecurities that's that do the same thing. It's not even about the specific insecurity. It's just the insecurities, yes, that are put on us, that are put on us that make us not enjoy life. It is a form of control. Oh oh, that's good.
Speaker 2: It is a form of control designed Yes, yes, and and and it goes back and it's like also biblical like it's a form of control. And dare I say mental abuse? Because what would it actually look like if if everyone actually loved themselves and they were enough mm hmm, equality, that's what would happen. Yeah, they don't want that, not at all, because then you gotta pay me what you owe me. What's one thing you hope never changes about you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god, I don't know what do you think? What do I hope nothing that doesn't change about you?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, yes? Are you talking with the balls? You're bored now with the ball. You can keep going with the ball. What do I hope never changes about you. Yes, your glasses have fullness, but also the joy that you wrap that up in yeap for everyone else. Yes, is that a good answer? That's a very good answer.
Speaker 2: You're so pretty? Stop you're so pretty. Oh that's so nice, thank you, But like, oh, that's really sweet. When I did her show, you didn't say it about me. You only said about her. These are great questions. I sure, what is it fear that you are actively working through? That's a good one because you present yeah as fearless. Wow, really, I just told you I was so scared of spiders, like right before we saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not the same thing. It's not.
Speaker 2: No, you're not scared of spiders is going to stop you from living your life?
Speaker 1: That's true, but I don't go camping. Well then, so maybe slightly living your life if you wanted to camp. But you present as fearless. Yeah, So are there fears that you've had to overcome to be able to be the person that you are? I? Yes, yes, yes, but the inevitable is my ultimate fear, which is death.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, you're bringing to stop. Don't stop there.
Speaker 1: Oh this is a really good ball. You shouldn't have some money in here. I know it will Usually people just picked one, but you do like a glutton for that. I wasn't going to stop you. No, I wasn't going to stop you. It's just that you were so good. I didn't want to stop you. That could be the last one. But that could be the last one. But yeah, we under death. We ended death. But it's not death, it's fear of death. Yeah, because fear of losing people. Oh so that your fear of death is other people dying, not you dying both. Yes, Okay, there's levels to this. There is because I have people who think about it all the time. I know people who think about it all the time, and then some people who don't fear it at all at all. Yeah. Usually the people who have come really close to it don't really fear it as much. Yeah. I don't know where do you sit? I you know what this podcast was called. When we first launched the pod, it was called We're all going to die, so we better start living? Would you have would you have come to the show if that? If that was the name of it, I'll come to any show you do. Yeah, But it was called that because I had had a lot of loss at that time. Also, I was in a really bad car as I saw all these things, and I realized, we're all going to die, Like what do I really want to do? What do I really care about? Knowing that our time here is limited? What's important to me? And so that was the concept of it. But I realized that would scare some people off. So we went to in real life, like what do we what do we care about in real life? And so we landed in real life. But yeah, I'm very interested in the subject because I do think it our fear of it. Sometimes I don't know, it's it controls how we how we live and what we do at the time we have and sometimes we get we get scared to do certain things because what we live in fear or worry or can I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just wonder where it lands for you.
Speaker 1: I Yeah, no, I'm fearless.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely fearless because because it's coming, you know, and so so and that's why I started stand up, because after nine eleven, I'm like, oh, we might die, so we better start living.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: So you were fueled by that too, I did hear that. Yeah, and my dad has had dementia for a long time, and he's sort of like wasting away, and so it's like this prolonged goodbye but also like a prolong like I still have you, Like it's just a very And then you know people that are very close to me that have cancer, it's uh, it's death. That's the one thing that we can't control that we can't control.
Speaker 1: Fuck it sucks.
Speaker 2: It fucking sucks, and I want them here. Yeah, and I want them here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I have two friends dealing with parents with dementia right now. What a challenging kind of roller coaster. Very yeah, very But but to your point, there's some type of collateral beauty like in appreciating, Yeah, the moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like I get to take care of my dad now. But it's also like the thing where like I know he wouldn't have wanted this, but I'm looking at him and he's so happy, but then he's also like, you know not, It's just it is a very fucked up, confusing thing where you just truly it humanizes every and anything you can ever be with, do you know what I mean? And uh, like even my kids when I show them pictures like of them with my dad three years ago. They're like, who's that guy? I'm like, that is your grandfather playing with you, the scary guy in the bed. And I'm like, he's not scary.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That's tough, tough, and so yeah, it's just yeah, death, that's this is a shitty way to end the conversation. It's pretty great, you think so, think so we had such a like bright, happy conversation.
Speaker 2: We can't land it on us. No, I don't think.
Speaker 1: So go back at the go, back at the ball, back at the ball. I go, bitch, question, what are some of your pet peeves or triggers? Oh? How much time we got? Tell me that was before you go?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think, I mean.
Speaker 1: Adults that act like children.
Speaker 2: Do you need a pillow on a fucking plane?
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: Do you need to complain about your food allergy? No, fucking be an adult person. Order what the fuck you gotta order, and don't tell me about.
Speaker 1: Your gas at dinner.
Speaker 2: At dinner, stop trying to put pet peet. When somebody wants to yuck, you're yum when they do the yeah, but get the fuck out of here. Talk to your mom about that bullshit.
Speaker 1: Somebody who yucks you'r yum.
Speaker 2: No yuck, my yum ever ever, this is my yummy moment?
Speaker 1: Is your husband? Is your husband good at that? Not yuck?
Speaker 2: And you're yum?
Speaker 1: No, he's a virgo?
Speaker 2: Does he's born to yuck?
Speaker 1: Oh? Really? I thought that was going to be the key to your to finding the right person for you. You know, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because he has to think about everything he does and like read the comments and and you know, and not the comments or what is it called when people like leave reviews about something. He has to be very organized in his thought process.
Speaker 1: I'm like, or we could do it and then fuck up and learn from our mistake. I love sucking up and learning from my massage. Oh it's my most favorite thing. What's your moon?
Speaker 2: My moon? Is it a fire?
Speaker 1: I don't know? Should I know? You should know? How do I find out? Ask somebody? Ooh yeah, oh I did this? Yeah I did it.
Speaker 2: Do you know your rising in your moon? No?
Speaker 1: Okay, would that serve me to know? Yes? It would?
Speaker 2: I think it's fire. Might have a fire in your chart? Okay? What is the fear that you're actually working through?
Speaker 1: Do I do that? I really think you've done all the damn wolves I'm trying to find.
Speaker 2: I'm really just stalling, letting you do it till I find my like some perfect Lately, I've been reminding myself that, oh it's okay, it's okay, it's okay to not be okay because menopause is like new for me. Oh you just it's new for me, and I don't sweat, but the hot flash makes me feel anxious, and I'm like, are we going to die? It was like, is there turbulence? Everyone looks so happy, and I'm like, can we turn the arron? And because it's like yeah, okay, I'm like so like it's a weird thing where I'm like, nobody else feels like that with something you used to be embarrassed about that now you own. What if every answer was just queping, you should totally do that? Okay, guilty pleasure. I found two here Democracy, Democracy, that's my guilty pleasure.
Speaker 1: MM. When everybody's gotta say, mom, what a kick? I am no longer fucking ho, I am no longer available for.
Speaker 2: You're bullshit? Do some get therapy. There's a whole you can you don't have to go in person. You can get your degree from DeVry online and also get therapy. The best advice someone has ever given you, Oh my god, so many things. Will Sylviance, who's a really funny comedian you know well love well.
Speaker 1: He does a lot of stuff with cipher yah cypha sounds.
Speaker 2: Will When I first started comedy, he was like one of the only straight dudes who was like who wasn't like touched my dick for stage time and uh, that wasn't his advice, but he was just nice to me, and he said, as soon as you get good in this room, go to another room where you suck, and that's how you get better. Because everybody wants to answer how do I make money?
Speaker 1: Have my money?
Speaker 2: And he was like, get good, get good, and I was like, oh, got you. And then I got good and I was like, oo, be so undeniable that nobody could fuck with you. And so that really helped me and like shaped me because then I was already fearless enough to like get on stage. But then like everybody puts the thing on you. Like even within comedy, when you make up your own rules, people are like, you got to go to this club, you gotta sit around and hang out. I'm like I want to fuck a hang out. I got friends, Okay, I want to see my friends. I want to hang with you fucks. I want to do what I want to do my set and want to go and I hang out with you and talk about your fucking joke. So that advice with some people who have had success. Sometimes you get content in your little box of success or. But to go into a different room, and that's a different kind of ego. That's an insecure ego, the one that always has to be big fish and be right. I think a really healthy, beautiful ego is the one that's working that doesn't mind like going into rooms where you don't know everything, but you still know what you know and you want to work with people. That's like the type of ego I want to work with. M Yeah, And how can you learn if you stay in that same little room.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. And people don't want to learn because they think they know everything. Okay, Will with the good advice.
Speaker 2: It's good advice, yeah, Will, it's good.
Speaker 1: You never know when you say something to somebody how it sits and lands with them forever. It's two thousand and two. Yeah, Yeah, And this last one, I'd like to end with this because when okay, because you got to end it. You got to end it at some point because we could literally sit here, then we could do a whole other interview and you could be Mavis and I could be Dawn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Charles Renee, he was great. Run Ricau's amazing.
Speaker 1: But you had this incredible show movies. You're about to go on tour and Netflix special is going to be filmed, getting filmed. You've broken barriers. You're a great mom who adores her kids, sixteen year marriage, a long time, I mean a lot of successes in your life. Yeah, you're happy, you're taking care of your dad, You're seeing even the beauty in some of those moments. Yeah, Like, this is a lot that you've that you've done. What are you most proud of about yourself? All of those things that.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 2: That no matter what I am, who I am, I'm still this thick, titty, freckle faces bitch that wants to make people laugh and trying to have a clean kitchen and manicured feet and have a good day, you know, and uh it it feels me to uplift people, you know. So yeah, then I'm that bitch that I still have friends from like first grade to high school of college that you know. I'm still that bitch. Yeah, fame is like what is fame? Famous? Just a tax bracket. We're like a fucking check on a social media page, you know. I think success is you know when you're happy, right, when you're happy, when you're a good person, you do good things.
Speaker 1: That's really good.
Speaker 2: Now, that's how you end the college.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm gonna showto in real life. Hey guys, thanks for watching. Make sure you subscribe, like comments, and check out all of the other episodes we have on Edge. Martinez I RL Podcast