Speaker 1: On this episode of This League, we're doing some coach talk. Is Steve Kerk committed to the Warriors tanking? Does Steve Nash know what he's doing in Brooklyn? We also get into the NBA's money grab that is the All Star Game, and we delve in a more listener DM. So, without further ado, today is a day and a tale of two Steves. One homie is super pressed, Yeah to the fucking max, and the other Steve seems to be not pressed at all. One guy is like, holy shit, I'm on the chopping block, and the other guy is like, you know what, we're thinking about contending in twenty twenty nine. This is the world that we're living in a tale of two Steves, a tale of two sons living in two vastly different headspaces. So let's start with the Warriors, right, because why not? What is going on in Golden State?
Speaker 2: Nothing good? Nothing good, That's all I could say.
Speaker 1: I don't understand what's happening. It's like they want to go to the playoffs, but they don't want to go to the playoffs. Like I'm upset. I want to see Steph Curry do Steph Curry things? This is what we are looking for, folks. Will he be batman? And Steph is determined to show us that he is, and Steve Kurry is determined to keep that man down. They've lost five five games because Steve Kerr is fucking around and limiting Steph Curry's minutes in crunch time. If they won four out of those five games because it was tight, it was close, they're in third in the West. That's the facts. That is the case. He's just sitting them just at random times that are very important. Second quarter, fourth quarter. I don't know that seems that seems like those are moments that matter the most. Yeah, pretty important, pretty important times. And so after an L. So they took an L on Monday night against the San Antonio Spurs that they should have won, and the media said, hey, Kerr, like, what's good. Why isn't Curry playing at some of the most crucial times in the game. And he was like, yeah, that's part of our plan. We're not chasing this guy's that. We're not chasing wins. We're chasing longevity. What we're focusing on keeping Steph fresh for the next not three to five months, folks, but three to five years. I've never heard that in my entire life. We are not focused on winning games this season. Play the clip.
Speaker 3: I'm not interested in grinding through this season, which is already a very difficult season, given the called, the regulations, and just the nature of the games themselves. Uh, you know, these theory empty stadiums. This is for me, for our organization, We're not We're not throwing stuff out there for forty minutes, uh, to to chase wins. We got another game tomorrow. We want, we want Steph to be playing at a high level for many years, so we're gonna stay very disappointed, try to keep them at that thirty four to thirty five minute mark.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Marty, tell me what you thought about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've never heard a professional coach of or not even just professional. I've never heard a coach of any kind say anything remotely close to that. Literally, just straight up admitting we're not trying to win games.
Speaker 1: That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. We're not here to grind out wins. Are you serious? You're gonna limit Steph to thirty five minutes? No, man, no matter what, he can't ever play forty minutes. I don't under I don't. I am so baffled by that statement. And you know what, Steph Curry is also baffled by that statement because in crunch time against the San Antonio Spurs, he Ice grilled Steve Kerr for like thirty straight seconds, like are you gonna put me into the game or not? And it was like or not? This is a problem. Please someone tell Steve Kerr why you play the game? Hello? No one's playing for longevity here, folks. How bad is it? You now have a coach that's just given up on his team winning games. He's like, this year is an l we're taking. We're just gonna lose games on purpose. That's about as close to saying we're losing on purpose. You do not say that unless in your heart of hearts you know that you can't truly compete. Kind of entitled shit five finals in a row? Kind of shit? Was that? Like, you know what, if we can't win at all, we're just not gonna win at all? Like what that is? That is absurd? This is a year to year sport, folks. We don't know if Klay Thompson's gonna come back healthy next year. You are not certain that Steph Curry after my conversation with the Light Years boys out in the bay, you're not certain that Steph Curry is going to re sign to a max contract. You don't know if you have him for the next three to five years. He hasn't signed on the dotted line yet. No one knows what's going to happen. You have to I want to see Steph Curry eight seed against the Lakers. That's what I want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love that.
Speaker 1: This is all part of their master plan. They are tanking. I have said it. They are tanking again, either for picks or to package picks with James Wiseman and get somebody that's on the trade block. Why else would you have Kelly Hubray and Andrew Wiggins out there at the same time If it wasn't to tank. There's no other explanation. The front office probably thought to themselves, Listen, if we have Andrew Wiggins and Ubra, we don't even need to try to tank. It'll just happen naturally. It's just gonna happen. And then Curry decided, you know what, I've heard all the slander, I'm gonna put on my best batman cape, and I'm going to elevate this team to heights that no one could have ever foreseen. He started doing Curry things and then oh my god, Uber got his mind right and he got hot, which he's prone to do. That boy can get hot. And then all of a sudden, Andrew Wiggins is playing okay in front office is like, fuck, what are we gonna do now? Yep, We're not paying Uber to drop forty. We're paying him to go two for twenty eight from three.
Speaker 2: I swear he wasn't this bad in Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Him putting up buckets is the last thing we as the Warriors need. Kurz, like Draymond, I have a brilliant idea. These guys want to win and we certainly do not. Despite all of our failed plans, I think we can still pull this tanking thing off tonight. So let's break down the final eight point seven seconds of Monday Nights gave against the Spurs. So the Warriors are down by three ball at mid court. The place should be what, Marty, The place should go to Steph Curry.
Speaker 2: That should be the first. That's the first.
Speaker 1: But you gotta get Steph Curry free because they're locking them down in order to do that, you usually set a screen. Draymond decides to set the sloppiest goddamn screen I've ever seen in my whole life, and Curry can't get free, and so Draymond's now got the ball still, and with six seconds to go, he decides to pull his best impression of Logo Lillard and shoot from forty with six full seconds left in the game, and of course it just barely barely missed. Yeah, it hit the backboarder slams the backboard. Game over. It's almost like Steve Kerr feared overtime because he would have to give Steph Curry more minutes than he was planning to.
Speaker 2: How funny would it have been if you just drained it?
Speaker 1: I think that would have been incredible. I bet Steve Kurr would have been pissed. Yeah, So after the game, they asked Steve Cerr about Draymond Praymon green shot and his response was because they were like, yo, why did he shoot that? What was he doing? And then and he's like, well, they thought Draymond thought that they he would you know, they were gonna foul him, but you know, the Spurs don't do that. And maybe I should have told them that, he said, I maybe should have told the team that the Spurs never foul when you're down three. They're not gonna send you to the free throw line. So him just chucking up the ball didn't make any damn sense. Steve Kerr, what do you mean you should have told them that, maybe, Yeah, you played for Papovich, you coached for Papovich, You knew exactly what he was about to do, and you just on purpose decided you weren't gonna script that out for them. Time out on the side, you got the got your little clipboard up, and you decide what you're not gonna tell him. Kerr has now gone from one of my favorite coaches in the league to maybe my least favorite coach in the league. What is he fucking doing?
Speaker 2: Not much, not a whole lot.
Speaker 1: He's given up on winning. I've never heard of this in my The more I think about it, the more outraged I get. Can you imagine him sitting Steph Curry in the fourth quarter of a game with the Warriors one game out in a play in in the bubble? Does he limit to staff to thirty five minutes in Game three against the Lakers, like, what the fuck. Here's the bottom line. In my opinion, Kerr knows the as long as Lebron James is in the West, they're not doing a goddamn thing. So he's just like, YI, we're not chasing wins as long as Lebron is in LA. That's the longevity that he's talking about. We are currently looking into cryogenic options for Steph Curry and Clay until twenty thirty. We're trying to find that, you know, that sweet spot between the time that Lebron James retires in the time that Bronni James becomes dominant. That period of time that's when we're going to start to win again. Hopefully we've accumulated enough lottery picks that turn into something in the next eight years in order for us to be able to compete. Until then we out we're here to just like stay in the mix, not get blown out, but not really make the playoffs. So I may have to recon consider my statement. With all of this to be said, I am going to say this where I earlier said, if Curry got to the Western Conference finals, I would give him a kpe. He would be batman. But if he can single handedly undermine a fully orchestrated organizational tank led by Steve Kerr which seems to be happening, and managed to drag this dog shit team into the playoffs all by himself. While you've got Draymond Green throwing up bricks from forty feet at the end of games and Steve Kerr limiting his minutes, give that man a cape. Eve Nash is pressed. He's so pressed. Listen, it's time to talk about Steve Nash, Marty. It's been coming for a long time. We are a Brooklyn Nets pod, and the Nets have been in the news every single day. It feels like we've discussed them for nearly every show. And you know what, credit to me, I haven't said a peep, not one peep up, you know, I kind of saying I haven't said as much of a peep as I really have wanted to. And that that ends right now, Yes it does. When is it time to say that the Nets is Steve Nash are in trouble? Trouble when.
Speaker 2: I mean it probably is.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: They're losing to some pretty terrible teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're pretty much only losing to Terrory. Yeah, they are four and eight against sub five hundred teams. Think that again to yourself, four and eight against teams sub five hundred. Eight of their twelve losses are against sub five hundred teams. They can't win on the road, they can't win close games. Steve nash Er boy looks lost. They're yelling at each other during games, and they just still majority of the time can't play defense. I don't care about that. And then putting the clamps on the Indiana Pacers in the third quarter where they only score twelve points, I don't care about that. We're talking about the majority of the time. They just let you walk on through. Everyone is now blaming It's like in Vogue because James Harden is the target, everyone's blaming him. But who was the one going after DeAndre Jordan for missing his defensive assignments? That was James Harden. Yo, play d d up. It's almost like to me, this team as a whole really just doesn't give a fuck a lot of things in flocks, new coach, new players, covid. Maybe we'll just chill turn it on when we want, turn it off when we want. So that actually makes me wonder whether I should actually be worried at all. So you flip this stat and then you become optimistic. They're ten and four against winning teams. Wow, when they want to try, they try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one sounds pretty good.
Speaker 1: That one sounds good. They're not bad, they're apathetic, and so they can turn it on against a team like the Clippers and then lose to a team like the Pistons. That's just crazy. So what if they're the one seed, Marty, what if they play an eight? Are they gonna give up two or three games to an eight seed? Like?
Speaker 2: Would they rather be a four?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They wud play like five and six?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, I mean it's definitely interesting. I think this roster has just a shit ton of problems. Like, I mean, I know this is gonna be a Nash segment, but there's no depth to this team at all. And there's really besides those three guys and Joe Harris, there's really no shooters. Well tlcs a shooter, but there's.
Speaker 1: No nobody interior presence wise.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that at all.
Speaker 1: No, I mean the whole DeAndre Jordan being your starting center just never was.
Speaker 2: He's sad to watch now.
Speaker 1: It really is the ultimate in nepotism for someone who is well, it's almost like Steve Nash. Actually, it's somebody who just does not belong there.
Speaker 4: Can we not compare Steve Nash and beyondre Jordan please, it's so.
Speaker 1: A fan DMS KD and the fan, like me, is concerned, and the fan says, not gonna lie as a fan, This shit is embarrassing. He slides into into kd's DMS. Of course, KD and KD fashion says. He responds, He's not like the rest of us, who says block. He responds, Shit's gonna be I ye, And it's true. I think with KD and Kyrie and Harden all deciding to try and synchrony no COVID scares and a bubble, shit just might be all right for them. But for Steve Nash, I'm not sure that it is going to be all right for him because, as one Twitter fan said it best, Steve Nash is currently getting paid. He's currently getting paid for a courtside seat to nets game. He's just there. He's just there taking up space during the game. I love that you have to just sit through this.
Speaker 4: You have to get it's fine, it's fine. You honestly haven't said anything. I disagree with too much.
Speaker 1: Yet during the game, the camera doesn't even pan to him because they know he's not doing shit and is irrelevant to the broadcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's just the chief.
Speaker 1: Of communications for the Brooklyn Nets. Okay, he's standing up there on the podium to discuss why you just lost to another sub five hundred team with platitudes about how it's up to them. You know, it's manifestured destiny. Who do you want to be tomorrow? It starts today. It's almost like this dude doesn't know what he's doing. Let's take a quick peek into the mind of a Hall of Famer point guard turn head coach and his assessment of what went wrong against the Pistons. My message was, here we go personal pride, personal pride.
Speaker 5: Connectivity and coming together makes resistance. We can't start the game down ten twenty in the second half.
Speaker 3: I'm expecting it to come easy.
Speaker 5: You know, this is professional sports. The other team is talented and capable, and we're shorthanded and we're small. We got to come out extremely sharp, extremely competitive, and we're a real fire. And it takes us getting down twenty to find that fire.
Speaker 1: Oh man, it's almost like, should someone should have told the nets that the Pistons just took the Lakers to double overtime and then Jeremy Grant is the problem. But hey, that's on the players, right, It's only them that watches game film. He was hired because he was a two time MVP level point guard with a basketball IQ off the charts, and when shit goes wrong, he sounds like a high school coach worried about getting fired, talking about heart and resistance and team identity and pride, try men, try harder compete. Anyone can say those words. That's just like a sentence of random you know, leadership buzzwords that you hear at some convention. You do not need a nine time All Star to spit buzzwords. What is he doing? I swear the only words missing were grit and mental toughness. He's a leader that is not leadership. These are the words that you see on an inspirational mini tear tear away calendar sitting on your desk. You know the ones where it's like the guy like at the edge of a cliff and it's a sunset on a big rock and then you just see like bravery. That's like where Steve Nash is getting his postgame inspirational thoughts from that's how he speaks. He speaks in those terms instead of prepping the nets for I don't know the things that you're supposed to be good at. You sound like you're taking words from Les Brown's instagram. He wants to be basketball's version of Tony Robbins instead of being the next Eric Spolstra. And I tell you what that is, A pblum. I don't know. I don't know if he's watching games, like maybe he's I don't know what he's doing. He should be watching games, but it sounds like maybe his league pass. They still stuck in Manhattan Beach and so all the Lakers games are blacked out, And so he didn't know that Jeremy Grant took Lebron James to two overtimes. It is just baffling. Here is the sound currently coming from Sean Marks's office. I'd like someone finds Jack Bauer for Steve Nash. Please. This man's about to get fired. I said it now, this leekue. We are having an All Star game in Atlanta, a COVID hot spot in the middle of a fucking pandemic with fans not surprisingly, players are not super excited about it. In fact, I would say no one is excited about it. Not find a single positive statement about it on record. Actually, you have multiple players deciding fuck it. I might get fined by the NBA, but I'm going to drag them for this terrible, terrible decision. Dearreon. Fox says, I'm not gonna lie. I'm gonna be brutally honest. This is this is dumb, this is stupid. Lebron said, I have zero energy and zero excitement about playing this game. Even Jannis, who we know isn't exactly controversial, said I have absolutely no enthusiasm about playing in this game. And of course because we have a Yoda in the league who barely ever speaks, but when he does, it's always telling truths. The best one came from Kawhi, who is now the profit of the NBA. Play the clip.
Speaker 6: It is what it is at this point. I mean, we all know why we're playing it. You know, is money on the line. It's opportunity to make more money. Mean just putting money over health right now so much. But yeah, I mean, if we're playing games now and it's still a pandemic, doing all these protocols and reals, so it doesn't really surprise me.
Speaker 1: Wow, he said, it's money over health, so it really doesn't surprise me. Yikes. And you know it's bad when even the NBA coaches are jumping in the mix, like Mike Mullan's like, personally, I would rather maybe kind of sort of want to stay with my family. This NBA season is packed as it is, Like, maybe we should just have a bye week. This seems like a bad, bad idea. It seems like almost every single person thinks this is a bad idea, except for one. Chris Paul, the end BPA president. What did he say about this growing revolt.
Speaker 4: I've got it right here, he said, Uh, I'm sure I'm not the only guy in the league that lives without their family.
Speaker 1: Hold on pause.
Speaker 4: That is a shot keep going, it is, uh, And so guys look at that break as an opportunity to see their families. It's a lot of different things going on right now. But you just hope that guys understand that decisions are being made, especially as far as the union has always got the full body of players in mind. But emotions happen. Guys have feelings, and you've got to be able to.
Speaker 2: Express them, and I respect that.
Speaker 1: Yes, the NBPA has the full body of players in mind. Oh yes, the All Star Game is the conduit to feed the blue collar players in the league. Oh yeah, this is for them. This is for any other reason, but for them. This is philanthropy in action. How dare Yannie try to take the food off the table of lugent stort. This is how we spread the wealth of the bench mob. The Mason Plumleys of the world wouldn't be able to eat if it wasn't for the NBA All Star Game, if it wasn't for Quavo versus Jimmy Kimmel. Thank you Chris Paul for that needed perspective about why the All Star Game is here in the middle of an unprecedented pandemic.
Speaker 4: I mean, how else is Dennis Smith Junior gonna find porn stars? I mean without the All Star weekend? Big fat, Let's think about it.
Speaker 1: He should have said that. First of all, what I'd like to say is, Chris Paul, is that James Harden is a personal friend of mine and former teammate, and he loves Atlanta, so we're doing this for him. The NBA is just going to do anything to play this game, they though, no matter what, have now been put on notice by one of the most likable players in Karl Anthony Towns, but also the most respected as it relates to this topic because he's been the most impacted by So it started when he just lit him up flames fire, almost to the point where I was like, ooh, maybe they won't even have this. It started when Sham's reported that Carl Anthony Towns was playing two nights ago, even though Kitty Kat had been out for a solid month due to COVID complications. So he found out on Twitter he was playing against the Clippers, and it appears to be It appeared to be a surprise to everyone, especially Karl Anthony Towns, who tweeted out, this is news to me. Last time I checked. I was going to go through shoot around and see how I feel. Underlying conditions and COVID don't mix well. Like, hey, uh, I'm a like, this is my decision? What do you mean? So to top it off, they asked him after he played a full thirty one minutes, hey, can you give us your take on You knew that they were about to like put ghastline on the fire. They're asking Karl Anthony Towns when his COVID take is on the All Star Game, and he says, I don't personally believe that there should be an All Star Game, And then there was a long, dead pan silence and he says, but what do I know? What experience have I had with COVID?
Speaker 2: Nikes damn.
Speaker 1: For those who don't know, Karl Anthony Towns has lost seven members of his family to COVID, including his fifty eight year old mom. His own experience put him out for a solid month, missed thirteen games due to those complications. He said, COVID did not treat me well whatsoever. I mean, I don't think it treats anyone well. A lot of scary nights. Through all the long nights, I was just not feeling well whatsoever. My vitals weren't good and the decisions had to be made on my health. So wow, the NBA is going to tell players like Karl Anthony Towns that they have to play in the middle of a pandemic. They're gonna find players if they don't feel comfortable playing in an exhibition game. And as Dearon Fox said, the fine is quite hefty if you don't play, So the show is gonna go on. I am personally sickened. Uh, and I am almost certain that this weekend is going to happen, even though players think it's a terrible idea. But what's the craziest part is that fans and players like, no one gives a fuck about this game. No, no one, no one's gonna watch. Players don't give a shit. Fans do not give a shit. No one, frankly in general likes the All Star Game as a whole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was kind of saying. I don't give a shit about the All Star Game, like under normal circumstances where the actual game, I like All Star Saturday, but the actual game, who gives a fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just gonna be an opportunity for us to all shit talk how terrible it is, why it shouldn't be happening, and probably some great memes in the process. The Dark Contest hasn't been relevant consistently in twenty years. It's been on life support. The only reason it's not completely dead is because of Zach Lavine and Aaron Gordon. Yeah, the Rising Stars game, the Taco Bell skills challenge, Rachel Tameeta versus Spice Adams crossing up like oh like, no one cares about that.
Speaker 2: I like Rachel.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you can find her on TikTok. You don't need a freaking All Star weekend for this. An all Star game during COVID, This, folks, is a money grab. If you didn't know that the NBA did not care about the health and safety of their players because of the season happening the way that it has, you now know it. With this exhibition game is sad where we are money over health. Like I said last episode four hundred dms, all with very cocent, sort of flame related NBA questions. So let's get into.
Speaker 2: Them, got you? Okay? Number one?
Speaker 4: Are the Hornets ever going to be a reputable organization?
Speaker 1: That's such a loaded question, isn't it. I mean I think that they are right now, what we're seeing is sort of Ah, you don't believe it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm excited to hear what I guess.
Speaker 1: Reputable is sort of relative. I mean, they have been so bad for so long and such a disgrace and so embarrassing and throwing away their their like player you would want to have for your dynasty. Well, I guess what you would ever call your your franchise player. Dynasty is way too loose off a term you got rid of Kimba, and then everyone thought this would never ever be anything. And then all of a sudden, you made some moves. Right, You've got LaMelo now he love Yeah, he's opening up Gordon Hayward. That move was I would say stunning. Terry Rozierra's balling, DeVante Graham doesn't have to play hero ball anymore. Now, Miles Bridges is taking another step. I mean, they've got pieces. And on top of that, players that were busts have now become serviceable. PJ. Washington, Malik Monk have had tremendous games this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Monk played really well the other night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you've got a team that is the NBA League Pass Team of the Year. So I would say that's reputable. That's much better than an embarrassment. So on a night tonight basis, you talk about betting, this team's insane against the spread. You take them almost every single time besides two nights ago or it was just like, let's not talk about that game. I think what you're doing is recency bias, Marty. They've been great. They've been great.
Speaker 4: I mean they are a great league pass team. And if that's the bar, then yeah, they're reputable.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move.
Speaker 2: I like it. Okay.
Speaker 4: So next up we have who would you rather have? Darren Fox, Colin Sexton or Jah Morant.
Speaker 1: What a great question, huh that is? I love these questions. Couldn't ask for more exciting players to compare five years from now. I would say these three dudes are gonna be I don't know about faces of the league, but they're gonna be the stars that people are talking about for sure every day. If you were to ask me this question, I would probably give you a different response.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: And you've got guys like Colin Sexton that he calls himself the young bull and the issue with young bulls as they sometimes are balls in a china shop and break a bunch of shit, and that is that's Colin Sexton. Some games utterly unstoppable and then some games he has like ten turnovers and fourteen points, like not ideal. Jaw can be the same way times that he's the best player on the court no matter who's up against him, doing things on both sides of the floor, incredibly gifted, athletically clutch. And then there's other games where it's like, yo, jah, you are completely out of control. You just threw that ball into the stance to no one. Your teammates are not there. Okay, but Fox Fox has I don't know, a calmness, a coolness even when he's not playing well, he's never quite I don't know, out of control that same way. He's been in the league obviously longer. But I think right now, even though I change my mind on recency bias, Darren Fox is like much more consistent, often just unguardable. I think the other night he had like seventeen straight points in the final seven minutes of a game, just takes completely over. I think that was against the Pelicans, puts his team on his back. The Sacramento Kings are fun and winning mostly because because of dear Fox. Sexton against the Nets is kind of like Deren, But but Dieren does it much more often, I would say, and in more high pressure games than those other two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those good Fox games are really awesome.
Speaker 1: And they just keep coming more and more and more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, switch into Wings. Next up, we have Tatum or Doncic.
Speaker 1: You would consider doncicch wing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just read the first one in my bed. Okay, Tatum or Doncic.
Speaker 1: Because that was exactly what my point where my point was going. Okay, because I would take an elite wing over an elite point guard any day. I like them both. I really like Luca. I think there's a part of me that calls him a professional stat getter, like doesn't get buckets in all of the right moments. But the truth is, I think for you to be a franchise that can go deep, you don't have to have you don't have to have like a top point guard anymore. And if you have a top point guard that it does not mean you're gonna go deep. Ask CJ. McCollum and Damian Lillard. Like, our ceiling is now the Western Conference Finals and that's about as good as it gets. So I think you need an elite wing in order to go deep. It's the most rare position. If you had the money and you could spend it, I think you spend it on Tatum over Daunches. I think you could get like a Seth Curry and a Tatum and do much better. Than you could get a Doncic and some scrub on the wing. I think that's just facts. And on top of that, I would say that Tatum just has more skills than Luca does. Right now, he has a mid range game. He can pull up with one dribble, two dribble, he has mid range step back. He's a better defender. Right now, we've seen Tatum be the best player on a team that can go. We've seen him take Lebron James to the brink seven games. I think Tatum is probably a better tone setter. I don't know. I like Luca. He has flashes, but uh, but to me, it's just not close. Really, I know this is gonna be get me flamed. This is one of those things where it's like, oh, Tristan doesn't watch basketball. Oh this girl why she's talking about sports? And it's like no, Like this is a cogent fucking argument. Jason Tatum's a top four player as a wing and a top ten player overall. I don't know if I could say the same about Luca. And on top of that, on top of that, don't want a fat shame, don't want a fat shame. But Luca comes into camp fluffy. I've never seen that out of Jason Tatum, so that gives me some concerns in terms of Luca's work ethic long term overall as well. You don't like what do you think?
Speaker 4: I probably agree with you right now, Like now you have to take Tatum. Luca has shown some things this year that are kind kind of red flags. I still, honestly if you said take one now and start a team with, I think I'm going Luca.
Speaker 2: I think I'm taking the home run swing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He has a lot of upside. Yeah, yeah, I mean his sky's the limit upside. But I am a cynic and I take a sure thing every time, and I think Tatum is a sure thing.
Speaker 4: I would love for him to be bad so people would stop making fun of us for not drafting him.
Speaker 1: That'd be great you got eight and instead of him. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that more.
Speaker 2: I like it a lot lately.
Speaker 4: Okay, So next one is should the Raptors trade Lowry? And then another question Lowry to the heat question.
Speaker 1: Mark if the Raptors were smart they traded Lowry yesterday. Yeah, it's over in Tampa Bay. We'll call it's over in Tampa Bay slash Toronto. They are not going anywhere. They are obviously not going to contend. Things are not working. Kyle Lowry's making a shitload of money. The Heat are in a death viral. So I would say Kyle Lowry to the Heat makes a lot of sense. He has one more year after this on his contract. He is perfect fit for the Heat culture. Great pat Riley guy like Yeah, Kyle Lowry is a hard nose or he does the little things, loves to work, loves to take a charge. That is him and dragas is just I don't I don't know where he is his ankle, his leg, his arm, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I think we've seen the end.
Speaker 1: I think he's what. He's thirty something.
Speaker 4: He's old, which is weird to me, old man as a former son, he is old.
Speaker 1: I think, Riley, you take that deal. The Heat are not particularly interested in paying a lot of money to any particular player, but for a year in change, I think they would. I think that they automatically become much better with Kyle Lowry in the mix, and Jimmy Butler should not be to pull this team out of the depths of hell when they only have like seven or eight guys through the COVID protocol at any given time. So yeah, I think I think if you can get to the finals again or at least like have a reasonable shot to you do that now. And Kyle Lowry already put his home up for sale in Toronto, so I think he knows that the tea leaves are there as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you see the Cavs as a playoff team within three years? And then this guy said, big fan love the show, thank.
Speaker 1: You, thank you. That's such a nice thing to say. Too many trolls out there. So good news, bad news in Cleveland. The bad news is Kevin Love is making a lot of money and he's locked up until the end of time. He's locked up till twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I think, so yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yep. Larry Nance Junior also locked up till twenty twenty four. Not players that are, we'll call it additive to a franchise, kind of in a tough spot. But the good news is Drummond comes off at the end of this year and he's making twenty eight million. And then you also have some scrap change. So there's like three other guys that come off the books. You have like thirty seven thirty eight million dollars to spend. I think they could. The way that I think that they become a playoff team within three years is this year they go after Oladipo. You pay him twenty something million, you have another ten million to spend. You've got Sergebaca making ten and change. If you had Sergabaca, Victor Oladipo, sex Land, Colin Sexton, Darius Garland, that is a playoff team for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Kevin Loved after he has his honeymoon, he gets healthy and he starts doing things. I think absolutely that's a seven seed, eight seed team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really like the way Jared Allen's playing for him too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wonder he comes off the books too, So I don't know if they're going to keep him or what they're going to do. He would be a great a player to keep around. So yeah, I would say that team with that roster. I don't know if you can attract that level of talent to Cleveland. That's tough, but it would be fun times in Cleveland if that were to happen. Fun times cland today I just wanted to add, come.
Speaker 2: On down to Cleveland Town.
Speaker 1: Everyone, come in. It should be the pay that's prepared near the street. Okay, well that's all the time that we have for this Leak podcast. Please subscribe, please rate, Please review on Apple and on Spotify. Also, please buy some hoodies. They are fire makes a huge difference. They are on sale at the Barstool store. Thank you again for listening. Please follow us on Instagram, on TikTok on Twitter. TikTok is going crazy right now, folks, get into the conversation. We will be back Monday afternoon.