Speaker 1: After the family court judge made her ruling, there was a long wait to see if Laura would be criminally charged. Clayton wanted Laura to face consequences.
Speaker 2: We also were like, are we asking for too much to get her prosecuted? The only when is her being held accountable?
Speaker 1: He wasn't the only one who felt that way. Shortly after Clayton's trial, content creator Megan Fox launched a letter writing campaign. The goal was to try to get the attention of Maricopa County Attorney Rachel Mitchell so that her office would pursue criminal charges against Laura Owens.
Speaker 3: All I did was put the idea out there, write a couple of templates for people if they had a problem writing, and asked them to do it. The fact that people sat down and did this, that's organic. They licked stamps, put them on envelopes and sent them in. I know that Attorney Mitchell, while she out a lot of letters, Laura.
Speaker 1: Had offended a lot of people directly and indirectly, and this was their chance to be heard.
Speaker 4: Here's Megan again.
Speaker 3: I'm a big believer in writing paper letters because if you send emails, nobody reads them. But if they get faxes and paper letters that you have to dump on their desks, just like in Miracle on thirty fourth Street. They can't ignore you, and they really start to think, Wow, there's a real problem here. People cared enough to walk to the mailbox and send me a letter, and you have to be heard, and the next thing, you know, action starts happening.
Speaker 1: It wasn't just random Reddit users writing letters to Rachel Mitchell. Some of the letters were from people who'd been personally impacted by Laura Owens, like Danielle Marriccini, Mike's wife. Here's what Danielle wrote.
Speaker 5: I said, Dear Rachel Mitchell, my name is Danielle Marriccini, and I am writing to you not only as the wife of Michael Marriccini, but as a mother and a woman deeply affected by the ongoing trauma inflicted upon my family by Laura Michelle Owens. Michael has been the direct target of Laura Owens's manipulative and malicious behavior, and it has caused serious emotional, psychological, and reputational harm. Her actions have gone far beyond the boundaries of conflict or disagreement. They have been tormenting, targeted, and entirely destructive. She has continuously made efforts to disrupt our lives, spread falsehoods, and create division within our personal and professional circles. Over the past several years, I have had to sit through two separate court hearings, one in twenty twenty and another in twenty twenty four, both initiated by Laura Owens falsified claims. I was pregnant with each of my daughters during those proceedings. To endure such stressful and emotionally charged legal battles while expecting our children was incredibly traumatic. As a result of her actions, I have endured in stress and anxiety, and our family has lived in fear and uncertainty for far too long. The relentless nature of Laura's behavior has caused sleepless nights, strained relationships, and has affected our ability to feel safe in our own lives. We are pleading with your office to take a closer look at this case, not just as a legal matter, but as a human one. What Laura Owens has done is not only harmful but unjust. We need accountability, and more importantly, we need protection. I asked that you consider the long standing pattern of emotional abuse and manipulation of Laura Owens.
Speaker 4: I'm Stephanie Young, and this is love trapped.
Speaker 6: There's no way.
Speaker 7: You better believe.
Speaker 1: I'll be raising Holy Helps if you ever, ever, ever ever.
Speaker 7: Trash.
Speaker 1: After Clayton's trial, there was a groundswell of support for people who'd been victimized by Laura Owens. Mike Marriccini wrote a letter of his own to the prosecutor. It was not only a plea for them to take Laura's action seriously, but an offer to help their investigation in any way he could.
Speaker 8: I said, listen, I have all of this information here. I would love to share this with you. She's going to try to make all of our lives hell. Please look at this information. And she responded within I would say two hours and said I'm including my investigators on this case. They'll be reaching out to you. They called me within another hour and they're like, when can we come to you.
Speaker 1: Mike sent them evidence he had collected, including what he had on his old laptop. Within a week, the investigators flew to California to interview him.
Speaker 8: For several hours at my house and they didn't give me any details of what they were looking into, but they said they traveled all over the US and they were taking this case very seriously.
Speaker 1: They were looking for proof of any criminal behavior. I reached out to Rachel Mitchell's office to see if they would weigh in for this podcast. They wrote back saying that she's unable to comment given that this is an open case. But Rachel Mitchell did give a public update at a press conference in August of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: I was talking to one of the investigators working on it this morning about an update, and I know they're going through it quickly. They've talked to a number of people, and as you can imagine, it's gathering information from a number of different sources, medical courts, et cetera. So they're busy working on that.
Speaker 1: At the end of episode seven, you heard Clayton's family court trial and the judge's ruling. After that, there were months of waiting. Rachel Mitchell's office carried out their investigation. As we talked about in the last episode, Laura stayed busy by posting online telling her side of the story. Then, on the morning of January twenty ninth, twenty twenty five, twelve police officers in tactical gear showed up at the Owens family home. They were there to execute a search warrant of the Owens property, looking to find evidence that would support their growing criminal case against Laura Owens.
Speaker 7: Play search war.
Speaker 1: The twelve cops split up, with one group going around back to the casita where Laura lived. It's a detached studio apartment behind the main house. Another group of officers went to the front door where Laura's parents lived.
Speaker 9: And Ron Laura Blase search warrant opened the door.
Speaker 1: Pay What you're hearing is the real audio from the officer's body cams. This wasn't the Scottsdale p ds first trip to the Owens home. Over the last few years, they've been there at least four times to conduct welfare checks on Laura. Most of those calls were triggered by anonymous tips from people concerned about the suicidal ideation she'd been posting online. On this day, the police stood at the front door, repeatedly knocking.
Speaker 10: Police search warr.
Speaker 11: Jan War or Ron.
Speaker 7: Opened the door.
Speaker 1: You can hear motion from behind the door. It's Laura's mom, Jan, but she's not opening it even for the police.
Speaker 7: We're the police department.
Speaker 9: Jan scott Sell Police to Detective Buckner with the Scott Sell Police Department. We have a search warn Okay, we're serving on the behalf of the Maricopa County's Attorney's office.
Speaker 11: You need to open up the door.
Speaker 1: In an odd turn of events, with twelve police officers on her property.
Speaker 10: She says she's calling the policeman.
Speaker 1: But Jan still won't open up the door.
Speaker 10: Dan, we do not want to breach your door.
Speaker 9: We will if we have to the door, Daan, we will ran your door where you're not.
Speaker 7: We don't want to do that.
Speaker 10: We don't want to damage your door.
Speaker 8: Just pop the door and talk to us.
Speaker 1: After two long minutes, Jan finally opened the door to speak with the group of officers waiting outside.
Speaker 8: Hello, I are you out of the police apartment?
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, We're not here to hurt you.
Speaker 10: We're not here to do it.
Speaker 8: I God, we can talk to your daughter.
Speaker 1: The officers made their way into the main house. Almost immediately, the scene turned chaotic. Everyone was talking over one another and the confusion was palpable. The cops want eyes on everyone in the house, and they find Ron still in bed.
Speaker 9: Regarding that, regarding Aura right entry, taking my character right now, you're good to move to the casida.
Speaker 1: When the cops approach the casida, they find Laura standing there behind a sliding glass door.
Speaker 10: Laura, Police, it's the police.
Speaker 12: What it's the police department, Laura, scott Stale Police, you see my badge.
Speaker 1: Laura cracks open the sliding glass door, but leaves the screen door in place with the.
Speaker 13: Scott step police department. Okay, can you come out and talk with us police?
Speaker 12: No, the county attorneys have a search warm for your property, so we need you to come out.
Speaker 13: Okay, I'm sorry, it's not even seven in the morning.
Speaker 10: That's fine.
Speaker 13: I'm not comfortable having you. I don't know who you guys are. I just told you I know, but I'm not. I don't I'm not comfortable of opening my.
Speaker 4: Screen behind her.
Speaker 1: You can see into her casita. This body cam video is our first real look into Laura's private world. The floor is covered in clothes, even in the kitchen area and bathroom on the opposite wall. The pile of clothes is so high it reaches the bottom of the window. The drawers hang open overflowing. Honestly, every single surface is covered in stuff. The counters and bedside tables are buried under papers, random electronics, even multiple pill bottles. Resting on top is what looks like a pink Victoria's secret shopping bag. The walls are decorated with those motivational art prints, like one by her bed that reads you got this, another in her kitchen that seems to read everything is figure outable. The cops are trying to calm Laura down.
Speaker 12: Okay, well, if we were going to handle this more escalated, we were just forced our way in.
Speaker 8: But we're not doing that.
Speaker 12: We're trying to handle this as low key as possible.
Speaker 13: I was told that if the police were going to calm they would come during business hours. Can I call my attorney please, I'm not comfortable.
Speaker 10: You can call your attorney, that's fine.
Speaker 13: Let me call my attorney.
Speaker 14: Great.
Speaker 13: Is something I'm concerned about my parents?
Speaker 15: You guys, your guns drawn right now? Nobody's pointing like I can't tell anybody you know what I do. My parents know that somebody's here.
Speaker 12: Yes, we have officers talking with your parents right now.
Speaker 1: I've seen this footage more than twenty times, studying it from every available body cam angle, and I want to be clear. While the officers are armed. Their guns are holstered, not drawn, but Laura is shaken. Her hands are visibly trembling.
Speaker 12: I'm giving you an opportunity. I told you we have this search warmer, and let me have.
Speaker 13: My my parents out here and on the phone.
Speaker 16: Because I own I am.
Speaker 10: I have to just listen to me.
Speaker 12: Okay, I've been nothing but respectful to you.
Speaker 13: No seven o'clock in the morning. Let me just call my attorney. Okay, you call my attorney.
Speaker 1: Laura starts firing off demands, but even as she's talking, she's still refusing to actually open the door.
Speaker 8: Open the door.
Speaker 17: Can I just We're going to cut the screen and come in.
Speaker 8: If you don't, you can't if.
Speaker 7: It's screening, isn't even incredible. I'm on the phone with my attorney. I'll put him on the phone right now.
Speaker 12: This is my.
Speaker 16: Attorney, David Gingris, my attorney, David Gingers.
Speaker 15: I don't know who you guys are even do you think I'm authority to search before seven o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 10: But the police are there.
Speaker 13: Laura, okay, fine.
Speaker 17: I need it.
Speaker 7: There's seven of them in here.
Speaker 1: After hearing from her attorney, Laura opens the screen door. One of the men grabs her phone out of her hands.
Speaker 7: Don't grab my phone and take it.
Speaker 13: I need to speak to you. Guys have guns, you know what you guys literally know.
Speaker 7: My dogs.
Speaker 10: Stay inside, all right, we're.
Speaker 8: The mom's inside.
Speaker 13: I speak to my mom. You guys have guns.
Speaker 7: I'll speak mom.
Speaker 10: I'm taking to her right now. Okay, okay, we have contact with her. We are escorting her out.
Speaker 1: The body cam continues as officers escort Laura into the main house. Meanwhile, the group of officers who were already inside the main house, we're waking up Laura's dad, Ron Owens. Ron asked why the police were there.
Speaker 10: So Laura is a subject of an investigation by the courts. So it's regarding it's regarding that.
Speaker 9: Okay, So it's gonna be We're gonna come in here and they'll explain it to you and they'll give you a copy of the search warrant.
Speaker 1: Ron asks to see the search warrant and wants to know the officer's badge number.
Speaker 10: The badge for a seconds, Yeah number, it is fourteen twenty two. Is my badge number. Okay, we're gonna I'll leave it here for you.
Speaker 1: The officer attending to Ron stays incredibly patient and helpful. You have to remember Ron has dealt with a lot of health issues over the years, and he actually needed a hand just getting out of bed.
Speaker 10: Let me get you your walker. Okay.
Speaker 1: The officer hands him his robe and calmly explains exactly what's happening.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because I guess Laura has been a little bit uncooperative, and they will. You can talk to the investigators. Okay, they'll have all the details. We're just helping them out with the service of the warrant.
Speaker 1: As Ron gets out of bed, he looks at the officer and warns him about Laura.
Speaker 10: She is basically suicidal. She's suicidal. She has mentioned it, don't.
Speaker 12: You dear.
Speaker 5: She will.
Speaker 1: Before the officer could finish his conversation with Ron, Laura comes into the house, guided by two officers. You can see they're handling her with extreme care, using what's known as an escort grip, one hand on the wrist and the other just above the elbow to keep things controlled but steady. It doesn't look like they're using excessive force, but Laura feels otherwise, and she's not quiet about it.
Speaker 7: Please you, you.
Speaker 1: Were you were hurting me, they passed right by her father's bedroom.
Speaker 10: I want to see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I want. I want to see my father.
Speaker 3: You are hurting me, and there's to be.
Speaker 7: A report for what you have done. I guarantee you. I will have bruises from this. I guarantee you. I will. I'd like to see my father. Please.
Speaker 10: No, I don't know where my mom here.
Speaker 1: The moment Laura sees her mom, jan she frantically runs straight to her. She says the police are horrible, inappropriate. But between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty five, Laura reached out to the Scottsdale Police for help nearly twenty times. She was the one contacting them, saying she'd been the victim of harassment, press leaks, and restraining order violations. Now that the tables had turned and she was the one being investigated, Laura suddenly finds their presence inappropriate. She cries to her mother that she's not sure if the police are real or not.
Speaker 18: I said I didn't know they were.
Speaker 7: They still don't even know they got me.
Speaker 1: And then Laura hits her breaking point. She turns and delivers the one line that, in many ways has come to define this entire case.
Speaker 7: You know what, it's not even seven o'clock. I am done nothing and get pregnant by the fighting bressler.
Speaker 1: Okay, I say I'm going to kill somebody now. Remember this video was recorded in January of twenty twenty five. Six months earlier, it had been adjudicated that Clayton the Bachelor wasn't the father of Laura's alleged twins because, according to the judge, she was never pregnant. But she's sticking with her story. Laura then hears her dad beginning to shuffle into the room and shifts her focus to him.
Speaker 7: I need to help my father. He don't get up.
Speaker 10: My dad is handy capping. No, he can't get up.
Speaker 13: You don't get it.
Speaker 7: My dad can't get up and he's open. Sit there. He can't get up his handicap. Please do not do no, he can't. He has poor dad can do with this. Fuck all of you guys, seriously, fuck you guys. He is not even said in the morning, I agree, honey.
Speaker 1: You can hear or her mom jan comforting her, agreeing with her. Then Laura says this to the police.
Speaker 7: Do you guys see what you've done? Do you see what you've done. I mean it really that my family is dealing with sir.
Speaker 1: As her father walks in the room, Laura has a realization all of this is being recorded the people.
Speaker 19: You know what.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm sure they already told me they had body camps. I'm sure they're gonna get thee becomes a public record with.
Speaker 19: My father all.
Speaker 1: In the middle of the chaos, there's an almost farcical moment. Instead of addressing the twelve tactical officers in their living room, Laura and jan start arguing with the police about which chair is best for Ron to sit in.
Speaker 7: He can't sit in that share rollers chair, the black chair, the black chair.
Speaker 10: You normally sit.
Speaker 7: He'll roll in that one.
Speaker 6: That's where he sits, so this one.
Speaker 1: Then Laura has another realization. The police have already confiscated her mom's phone.
Speaker 7: Whoa, whoa, whoa. It does not say you guys can take my mom's It doesn't.
Speaker 1: You can hear the panic rising in Laura's voice. She seems suddenly desperately concerned about what the officers might find on her mom's device. The police hand her a copy of the warrant, but she only glances at it.
Speaker 7: Yes, I just did. On the person Laura Michelle Owen. Where does it say you can take my mom's phone?
Speaker 1: Jake Freeman warrant and it said you you can take my mom's phone.
Speaker 7: Read it, don't just look through it.
Speaker 1: The officers aren't interested in the bickering. They're just trying to move forward and finish securing the property so they can turn it over to the investigators.
Speaker 12: So we're serving the search more on behalf of the Maricopa County Attorney's office.
Speaker 7: That's right, And I'm not saying where.
Speaker 12: It's six thirty in the morning, my god, sir, So for statute, we can serve a daytime search wark between the hours of six thirty in.
Speaker 10: The morning and ten at night.
Speaker 13: And this is important enough.
Speaker 10: So they are the investigators.
Speaker 12: Our role here was just securing the property. So the investigators have all the details that they drafted the search war. Okay, we have investigation.
Speaker 16: I have this. There's nothing that said you guys can search my mom's phone.
Speaker 7: I did read it. Don't don't you tell me I didn't read it.
Speaker 12: Mom, Laura, Like I said, we did not draft the search on.
Speaker 7: It doesn't say it start my mom's phone.
Speaker 12: I haven't one to your mom's phone, and Laura, just listen to me. Okay, just because we've set a phone aside, doesn't mean that we're searching it. Oh god, this is the most instant just because we've done that, just like because we've put you guys in here are.
Speaker 10: Looking for sir.
Speaker 13: I can't tell you guys this enough.
Speaker 12: We are not searching the property. Maricopa County Attorney's Office is the one responsible for drafting this warrant and searching for evidence for their case. We have merely secured the property on their behalf.
Speaker 1: This whole time. The investigators have been standing a few feet away, ready to get to work.
Speaker 10: These are the County Attorney Office etectives. They have the intelligence and the information on the case.
Speaker 12: Any questions that you have, they may or may not be at liberty to answer, based on the severity of the case or whatever they're investigating.
Speaker 8: But they are the.
Speaker 10: Ones that the information behind it.
Speaker 12: I do not have any information to provide you.
Speaker 1: Despite everything else that is happening, the Owens family is still fixed on one detail. They keep coming back to the timing, asking again, why the police came before seven in the morning, or we can serve a.
Speaker 12: Warrant between six thirty and but I mean, you've a little bit of disco.
Speaker 10: We're not talking about it.
Speaker 12: When would you rather reserve it at noon where all your neighbors see the police here?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you would rather that at six?
Speaker 12: Well, well, we're well within our within the law to do that, okay. So any questions that you have pertaining to the case, the County Attorney's Office detectives can answer those.
Speaker 1: The police turn the scene over to investigators who have the cumbersome task of searching the house for evidence.
Speaker 10: I don't think we have comms with you guys, as we need to just respond, you know, just yeah, no one, what happens?
Speaker 12: Thank you guys, thank you, thank you for all your hope.
Speaker 10: Combine.
Speaker 1: This is where the body cam footage ends. Apart from law enforcement and the Owens family, no one knew this raid happened, not Clayton, his lawyer, or any of the online detectives. Three months past, where on the outside it looked like not much was happening with the investigation into Laura Owens. That was until a press conference on April twenty third, twenty twenty five. A local reporter put the Maricopa County attorney on the spot and asked her about the status of the investigation. Rachel Mitchell's response.
Speaker 6: I mean we are still actively investigating that. What I will simply say is stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Two weeks after that press conference, everything changed for Laura Owens, and we begin tonight with new developments and the paternity case involving a former Bachelor contestant.
Speaker 9: Breaking news at Americopa County as Laura Owens has been indicted on fraud charges.
Speaker 20: Owens is accused of altering an ultrasound image, lying under oath, and fabricating a pregnancy video as part of her alleged scheme.
Speaker 21: As for Ecker, the battle he's been fighting for two years is now in the hands of prosecutors.
Speaker 1: On May sixth, twenty twenty five, the news broke that Laura Michelle Owens had been indicted on seven criminal charges.
Speaker 14: A scott Stie woman who previously accused a former Bachelor contestant of impregnating her, is now indicted on fraud charge.
Speaker 22: It's almost a year long investigation sparked by a Superior Court judge presiding over this paternity case involving the former Bachelor star and a woman named Laura Owens.
Speaker 14: Grandeury indicted her on several felon accounts, including fraud, forgery, perjury, and tampering with evidence.
Speaker 21: The County Attorney's office says Owens went to extreme lengths to manipulate Ekker.
Speaker 22: After to your legal battle, Eckert is ready for prosecutors to take over.
Speaker 21: Owens released a statement saying she is stunned by the charges and maintains that she was in fact pregnant but had a miscarriage. She believes she was only charged because of public pressure.
Speaker 22: Owens has her arrangment hearing set for May twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: The online community who'd been following this story from the beginning was freaking out. Dave Neil even went livel at a baseball game.
Speaker 9: Unbelievable, breaking news. We just found out Laura Owens charged with fraud, seven counts. Unbelievable stuff.
Speaker 17: Justice is served now for the first time. She's in trouble. She has seven felony counts against her.
Speaker 3: We have a seven count indictment, seven felonies for Laura Owens.
Speaker 13: If you didn't get the news, she's going down.
Speaker 1: For those who'd been personally affected by Laura Owens. The news brought an intense wave of emotion. Here's Mike Marriccini.
Speaker 8: I know exactly where I was. I was on vacation with my family. We were in a hotel room, so I remember the setting. I remember seeing my daughters both on the couch watching cart tunes, and I saw that she had been indicted. But I remember immediately texting both of the guys and giving my wife a big hug.
Speaker 4: Here's Mike's wife, Danielle.
Speaker 5: We were finally seen in our pain. Just the innate healing that comes from somebody telling you that they believe you, just that nothing else is powerful.
Speaker 8: It was surreal because I felt like justice was finally prevailing.
Speaker 1: Clayton's attorney, Greg Woodnick, also remembers the moment he heard the news.
Speaker 20: I was in my car on the way home from my office. I got a phone call telling me she'd been indicted. I was certainly not disappointed that she was indicted. I don't wish Laura a downfall. I don't even wish her a lengthy prison sens. I've always wanted her to get help and acknowledge what she did, but her being charged was a big deal.
Speaker 1: Clayton was walking home from the gym when he got a call from a reporter at a local news station. She's the one who told him Laura had been indicted on seven felony counts, all related to his case.
Speaker 2: I texted the guys and they're going ballistic, and all of a sudden, I start getting more messages from other people, and then I went straight to Instagram.
Speaker 4: Here's what Clayton posted that day.
Speaker 8: Justice is finally served.
Speaker 11: I am absolutely amped to share this news with you all that today, as of like I think twenty minutes ago, Maricopa County Attorney Rachel Mitchell has announced the indictment of Laura Michelle Owens on felony charges related to the paternity scheme. One count of fraudulent schemes a class two felony, one count of forgery a class four felony, four counts of perjury last four felony, and one kund of tampering with physical evidence a class six felony. This nightmare is over. I am so ready to not have to think about this anymore. I want to say thank you to Rachel Mitchell and the investigators for serving up justice. I want to thank my lawyers. Oh They've been incredible standing by my side.
Speaker 8: This wouldn't have gotten to this point if it wasn't.
Speaker 11: For Greg Woodnick and his entire incredible team. And this is just such a weight lifted off. I'm really looking at messages coming through right now from the other guys. We are so so thankful and thank you all for your support. I have not been this happy. This is a weight of two years lifted off my shoulders. Of these guys before me years lifted off their shoulders.
Speaker 8: It feels good.
Speaker 1: I asked Woodnick to explain the felony charges against Laura in Arizona.
Speaker 20: We've got six levels of felony, with the Class one and being the highest level of felony and Class six.
Speaker 1: Being the post one against Laura is a Class two felony charging her for fraudulent schemes and artifices.
Speaker 20: The class two felony is a very serious felony charge.
Speaker 1: Then there were six more felony counts for forgery, perjury, and tampering with physical evidence. Charges like felony perjury are very rare.
Speaker 20: I've dealt with some challenging issues and people that have struggles telling the truth in a courtroom, but I've never seen someone go the distance that Laura did, and I certainly have never seen a case result in this sort of felony prosecution. The reason why I believe it was prosecuted is because the behavior was so egregious. I have never seen such egregious behavior.
Speaker 1: Laura, however, didn't see her actions as egregious, quite the opposite. The day after the indictments were handed down, she fired back with an official press release. Here is a portion of that statement, read by a voice actor.
Speaker 16: As someone who has never been charged with a crime in my life, I am stunned by the seven felony charges announced against me by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office. These allegations appear to be the result of coordinate harassment, misinformation, and public pressure in the aftermath of the paternity case I filed against former Bachelor star Clayton Eckerd. These charges appeared to be the product of intense public pressure, not impartial judgment. They reflect a system that responded to online outrage, ignored procedural protections, and moved forward based on narrative rather than fact. It is difficult not to see them as part of a broader effort to discredit me, discourage me and make an example out of me. I intend to meet these accusations head on, and I will defend myself fully and relentlessly through every step of this process.
Speaker 1: The indictments against Laura are considered nonviolent, so she wasn't arrested. Instead, she was served as summons to appear in court for her arraignment on May twenty ninth, but she chose to self surrender two days early. This was likely a strategic move to demonstrate her cooperation to the judge and secure a release without bail until her trial. Laura was officially processed on May twenty seventh, and once her mugshot went public, the online reddit community had plenty to say about it.
Speaker 13: You know, she spent hours on her mugshot.
Speaker 11: Look feels like she's trying to pull off a sad face, but still comes across looking smug.
Speaker 1: Who plumps and glosses lips for a mugshot. Wts wow, seeing this is a real sign just as and accountability will hopefully be coming. Two days later, Laura had her arraignment her usual She appeared virtually.
Speaker 19: This is an over one on the court's calendar. State of Arizona versus Owens Serra twenty twenty five zero zero six eight three one zero zero one the z Owens, would you please state your full name and date of birth, Laura Michelle Owens.
Speaker 1: The judge had already received Laura's plea this morning.
Speaker 19: Court will enter please if not guilty on behalf of the defendantists to all counts one through seven, noting that this is the initial appearance on each of those counts.
Speaker 4: Then the judge set Laura's release conditions.
Speaker 19: The defendant will be released on her own recognizance. Ma'am, what that is is your promise to attend all future court hearings. You don't need to post a bond at this time. However, if you fail to appear for any of your future court hearings absent good cause, court could issue a bench warrant for your arrest and require that you post a bond. If you are taken into custody before you can be released, court will also order that you not initiate any contact with any alleged complainant or witness. You're not to leave the state, at least not without permission. Looks like you've already taken care of your fingerprints, all right, Thank you, Maszillanes, You're free to disconnect.
Speaker 1: After Laura disconnected a clock started ticking. Just because she was indicted does not mean she was convicted. That's an important distinction. And as we just heard, Laura pled not guilty. So going forward, she has a few options. Either go to trial to try to prove her innocence, or change her plea to guilty and admit to the crimes the state charged her with. Here's Clayton's attorney, Greg Woodnick.
Speaker 20: If she chooses to go to trial, I hope Laura gets the fairest criminal trial she can get.
Speaker 8: I hope she gets a wonderful jury of neutral.
Speaker 20: People who want to be open minded about the evidence and apply the law appropriately. Everyone deserves a fair jury trial, and she's entitled to that in her criminal case.
Speaker 10: Should she choose to pursue that.
Speaker 1: Going to trial would mean dragging everything to light. The indictments only gave a few small details about each charge, like quote claiming that sonogram image was hers during sworn deposition. Which sonogram in particular, or the evidence the state had that it wasn't Laura's. No one knew, but some of the content creators, like reality Steve had guesses.
Speaker 17: The sonogram that we know is fake, but no one's had to ask her. Laura's never done an interview with me or Dave or anybody. Laura, we found the sonogram. You stole it from YouTube, even though when you emailed it to me you said, Steve, this is my proof that I'm pregnant.
Speaker 1: About a month later, the state released its witness list, which was sixty four names deep. If Laura goes to trial, these are the people who would be called to testify. As expected, the list features Clayton eckerd, Michael Marriccini, and Greg Gillespie. It also includes some familiar names like Laura's parents Jan Black and Ron Owens, Laura's sister Sarah, attorneys Greg Woodnick and Deandra Arena, and even content creator Dave Neil. But there were some names on there that didn't make sense at the time. That was until six months later, when the state surprised everyone by releasing a public investigation report, a one hundred and eighteen page document detailing their investigation, explaining the evidence they'd found to support every felony count. The content creators were especially excited.
Speaker 17: This is ah wow, way weirder than I thought it was gonna be okay.
Speaker 23: They were able to go into Laura's iCloud and find stuff.
Speaker 17: A lot of them are interviews that they have done during their investigation, a couple of them with Clayton, one with her mother.
Speaker 6: Jan the mother of Laura Owens, trying to have a secret meeting with investigators.
Speaker 13: Let's get into it, shall we this one?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, get your tea, at your tea.
Speaker 1: The investigation report is like the state showing their hand. It's all the information that would be in their case at trial. It's redacted in some places, but we learned a lot. It addresses almost everything, including some mysteries I honestly never thought i'd see an answer to. Here's journalist Megan Fox.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, there's so much. There are nuggets in here that are brand new that you really you need to hear.
Speaker 1: We're going to go through this investigation report from the Maricopa County Attorney's Office. We've had a voice actor read from the report, and just for the record, it's not an AI voice. It's actually my husband, who happens to sound very official. We've also pulled in real clips of Laura herself from various court hearings. Let's start with the small revelation that you probably already saw coming. Remember that video Laura sent to Reality Stephen Clayton that shows her father Ron, in a hospital bed rubbing a woman's pregnant belly. Laura claimed it was her in the video, but according to the investigation.
Speaker 23: Report, during a sworn deposition at the office of Greg Woodnick Clayton, Eckert's attorney, Laura Owens testified to a video clip of her father, Ron Owens in a hospital bed rubbing her pregnant belly. Owens maintained that this was her and her father by stating.
Speaker 5: My dad's in the hospital and he touched my stomach.
Speaker 23: However, Owen's face was not visible. The original video was located during this investigation, and it can be seen that Owen's sister, Sarah Owens Navarro, is the subject with the pregnancy.
Speaker 1: We also learned from the same investigation report that the video, which had no sound, actually has an audio track in it. Investigators specified that Laura and her mother, jan Black can be heard talking in the background. At the June tenth trial, you'll remember that Laura Owens said she only had one ultrasound during her alleged pregnancy, which was done in California in July twenty twenty three. She admitted to altering the location, date, and name on that sonogram using Adobe Acrobat. The whole time, she remained adamant that the sonogram itself was hers.
Speaker 4: But according to the investigation.
Speaker 23: Report, Laura Owens committed perjury while testifying in Maricopa County Superior Court in front of Judge Julie Matta when she testified to a sonogram image. Owen's attorney asked, did.
Speaker 8: You have a sonogram done in California.
Speaker 23: Owens responded by stating, yes, I did. Owens admitted to changing the location, the date, and placing her name on the top banner. This sonogram was altered and was initially that of her sister, Sarah Owens Navarro.
Speaker 1: Then there's the altered ultrasnd from the Halloween meme, the one she'd us to successfully secure an order of protection against Clayton.
Speaker 23: On the twenty fifth day of October twenty twenty three, Laura Owens committed perjury while testifying in Americopa County Superior Court when she testified regarding a sonogram that was attached to an image of herself in a spoof Halloween costume package from Reddit. Owens testified that the sonogram image she has seen holding in the overall image is.
Speaker 1: A sonogram of our son that only he had possession of.
Speaker 23: Owen's attorney asked if this was a sonogram that she sent Eckert or if anyone else received it. Owen stated that the ultrasound was not sent to anyone else. This sonogram image was found to have been from Owen's sister, Sarah Owens Navarro's pregnancy.
Speaker 1: As part of the investigation, Laura's mom, Jan Black, was interviewed. She asked to meet with the investigators without Laura's knowledge. Mostly Jan stands by Laura's story, but there are a few lines that raise an eyebrow.
Speaker 23: Miss Black Owens spoke of death threats that she had received and some additional theories connecting this to the Gilgo Beach murders in New York or the Sewan Didnycombe sex trafficking case. Miss Black Owens feels this may be part of a bigger picture and agreed that the FBI may be looking into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, you heard that correctly. Her mother believed that the criminal investigation into Laura was connected to the Gilgo Beach murders or the Shawn Comb's sex trafficking case.
Speaker 23: Miss Black Owens asked how long this investigation would take. I said that I hoped that it wouldn't take too much longer.
Speaker 1: These next two revelations are jaw dropping. First, remember, at the beginning of this story, Laura told Clayton she was certain he was the father because she hadn't had sex with anyone else for over a year. According to the state, that appears to have been a lie.
Speaker 23: Laura Owens committed perjury while testifying in Maricopa County Superior Court when she testified that there was no possibility that she could be pregnant by anyone other than Clayton Eckert by stating.
Speaker 13: There's no chance for anybody else's.
Speaker 6: And no, I hadn't been intimate with anyone else since March of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 23: It was determined that Owens had sexual intercourse with Honor about the fifth day of May twenty twenty three and Honor about the twenty seventh day of May twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Just a reminder, the night Laura went to Clayton's apartment was May twentieth, twenty twenty three, meaning Laura had slept with another man two weeks earlier and one week later. We're not using his name for his privacy, but it seems he cooperated with investigators. Then there's the question of how Laura could have produced a positive pregnancy test. As we've said, early detection pregnancy tests measure for a hormone called hCG. It turns out hCG is something Laura bought.
Speaker 23: During a search of Owen's eyecloud, a series of messages were noted that indicated that Owens had gone to Medspa and purchased hCG, and that she had the injections delivered to her home. These text exchanges also indicate that Owens did not want her family to know she was injecting hCG.
Speaker 1: If Laura was injecting herself with hCG, like the state alleges, that could explain how she produced a positive pregnancy test, even if she wasn't actually pregnant. The state leaned on the mountain of evidence they collected to push through a seven count indictment against Laura Owens, and by the end of the report, there's no mistaking and their conclusion.
Speaker 23: Laura Owens, an adult female podcast host, created a scheme to elevate her notoriety and increase her commercial value by attempting to blackmail Clayton Eckert, a television celebrity, into a romantic relationship, by fraud, trickery, and deception. To this end, Laura Owens perjured herself in court hearings and a deposition, as well as tampering with evidence, forging documents, and material misrepresentation, deceiving the courts and the victim, Clayton eckered.
Speaker 1: You might think the criminal indictments were Laura's main focus during the summer of twenty twenty five, but she was gearing up to enter another legal battle once she seemed particularly interested in. It involved her ex boyfriend from nearly ten years prior, a man who didn't live in the same state. Her five year domestic violence restraining order against Mike Marraccini was set to expire on July tenth, twenty twenty five. This left everyone wondering would she renew it. Here's Mike's wife, Danielle.
Speaker 5: We were expecting it. We kept talking, preparing ourselves for the inevitable She's gonna renew but I do deeply think that we also were like, no way, does she have the balls to do it. So while we were saying one thing, I think subconsciously we felt like there's no chance. And ultimately when we got to the day of and nothing had hit the docket, we were like, we're free, Like we're done. She's learned her lesson. And to get the notification that afternoon that she had fun filed at like end of day I think it was like four thirty five, was devastating.
Speaker 1: At the last minute, Laura Owens filed once again to renew her domestic violence restraining order against Mike Marriccini. This massive one hundred and one page filing centers primarily on her June twenty twenty four trial involving Clayton Eckered, specifically citing Mike's presence in the courtroom as a point of contention. She alleged that Mike being in the court for Clayton's trial, which again he'd been subpoenaed for, had violated her DVRO. She also alleged that Mike had been harassing her using the online pseudonym Honk my Meat. Mike denies any connection to this account. He says he was busy parenting his two daughters, but Laura believed the Honk my Meat account was Mike anonymously harassing her. Laura argued that the extension of the restraining order was a necessary measure to ensure her ongoing safety and privacy. My first phone call with Mike was scheduled for the following day. During our call, he wanted to talk about Laura's decision to renew Can you give us your raw reaction to Laura Owens renewing the domestic violence restraining order against you on July tenth.
Speaker 18: I'm incredibly frustrated. I'm angry at not just Laura for keeping this going for more than a decade, but really upset with our legal system.
Speaker 4: What are next steps for you?
Speaker 18: I have to go to a trial to hopefully fight this, and right now it's either going to be another five year domestic violence for training order, it's going to be a permanent domestic violence for training order. So I'm trying to limit the damage and hopefully get it overturned, but most likely it will either become one of those two items.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to share about this, maybe how it's affecting your family or you.
Speaker 18: It's definitely affected my family. I mean the amount of time, energy, financial aspect has been wasted over the last decade fighting this person has been terrible. And I don't wish this upon anybody, and I just want to thank everybody for their support, especially over the last few years.
Speaker 8: With this going public.
Speaker 1: When Mike got the news about the renewal, you can hear in his voice how defeated he was. Fighting this again could cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 8: I had been talking to certain attorneys beforehand and they were kind of rattling off pricing to me, and they're like, well, it could be anywhere from twenty five to fifty and then if you go to trial, it's another fifty to seventy five. And so I just sat and thought to myself, like, do I want to do this again?
Speaker 1: For Mike, that would mean dipping into his life savings, money that could be used for his daughter's futures. Mike's wife Didaniel Sai that at first he didn't want to fight this again.
Speaker 5: When he got off the phone about fighting it and the legal fees that we would incur, and he goes, I can't do this, Danielle. I can't take another financial hit like this, particularly because he is our sole provider at this point. We aren't just spending money like it doesn't matter. And he's like, I can't do it, and I said, you have to do it. We have to this time, and he was like, you're right, laying down has done nothing. I cannot go through this again, like I can't put my family through this again.
Speaker 1: And then Mike got a phone call from Omar Serrato. He's a family law attorney in California and a contact creator known as the Tilted Lawyer on YouTube. For the past couple of years, Omar has been doing legal comment and terry on Laura Owens's case.
Speaker 8: I remember I got a phone call from Omar, and I had asked him a couple of times, like would you represent me. I'm going to spend forty thousand dollars just trying to catch somebody up on this case, like it would be really beneficial if I was able to just use you. I'm pessimistic already. I'm assuming I'm going to lose, but I don't want to spend all of the money up front to lose. I'd rather have somebody that's in my corner that has like an idea of Laura in what she's tried to pull.
Speaker 1: At first, Omar said he appreciated Mike's honesty, but that he just wasn't going to be able to do it. But a few days later, Omar changed his mind.
Speaker 8: He's like, listen, I'll do it. Just raise a gofund me. Whatever is raised from the GoFundMe will help out dramatically, and I will do this. And on top of that, I'll add Rachel Warrez. I think she wants to be in on this as well.
Speaker 1: Rachel Warrez is an attorney in California. She's also one of the judges on the hit TV court program Hot Bench. Like Omar, Rachel had followed the Laura Owen's case closely.
Speaker 8: I was so happy because both of these people were informed, educated and were true family law attorneys with tons of experience in this matter. So I just felt like the cards were with me this time.
Speaker 1: Mike finally had the legal support he needed to give him a real fighting chance.
Speaker 4: Here's Rachel Warrez with.
Speaker 24: Mike in particular. I really felt like he had been victimized, and I had read a lot of the text messages that came out in the Clayton case, and I really felt as though he had been a victim of abuse, that those text messages were very emotionally abusive, and this was a victim that not only hadn't received help, but had been flipped into the perpetrator somehow.
Speaker 1: The legal was the first step for Mike to fight the DVRO, but it wasn't going to be easy.
Speaker 24: The standard for domestic violence in California has been broadened to include things like disturbing the peace in terms of a renewal. In particular, if you have a restraining order against somebody and they've been violating it, that's grounds for a renewal, and clearly that means you still need protection. But the law in California has developed to say that if someone is not violating the restraining order, that that proves that it's working, and therefore that's another good reason to renew it. So not only do you not need evidence of a single violation, but actually the judge can consider the lack of violations evidence that a restraining order has been successful and should continue.
Speaker 1: The trial for the DVRO renewal would be held in San Francisco. Ahead of their hearing, Laura had some requests for the court.
Speaker 4: First, she filed a.
Speaker 1: Motion to wave life testimony in favor of a written statement, citing the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Speaker 4: If this was.
Speaker 1: Granted, she would avoid a cross examination at the trial. Then, citing confidential medical data and threats from the Justice for Clayton Group, she also requested the motion be sealed. The filing disclosed several diagnoses, including autism spectrum disorder, epilepsy PTSD, traumatic brain injury, panic and generalized anxiety disorders, and anorexia nervosa. She also asked for a continuance on the hearing, meaning she wanted more time due to her medical condition and her father's recent hospitalization. The court ultimately denied all these motions. Because she's the one who initiated the renewal, they wanted her in person for the hearing, no exceptions. A two day evidence hearing was set for October twenty first and October twenty second in San Francisco. I got my plane ticket and was ready to go cover the trial live. But the weekend before I was supposed to leave, I got some news. It's Saturday, October eighteenth, and I got some interesting news last night. Something came across the docket. It is a declaration of Laura Owens in support of expedited request for reconsideration of motion to continue based on urgent health concerns and request for ruling on the papers. Now you might be thinking, what the heck does that mean. Well, earlier Laura tried to get a continuance on this case due to health concerns, and the judge denied that continuance request. So that is why I booked my travel to San Francisco, because I thought that this trial.
Speaker 4: Would be happening.
Speaker 1: Now this is an urgent health matter, which is kind of what she said earlier. However, this just got filed yesterday. The trial is supposed to happen on Tuesday, so we won't know a ruling on this until at least Monday, if the judge even looks at it.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen the documents yet, so I don't know what's in them, but I think this is going to go one of two ways.
Speaker 4: Laura's not showing up.
Speaker 1: She also didn't request travel from the state of Arizona, and we know that she has a criminal proceeding there, and anytime she leaves the state, she has to have permission from the state to do so. She never filed this travel request, so in my mind, that's saying that she never had any intention of going to this in the first place. Now, again, one of two things could happen here. The first one is that she's just considered a no show and the DVRO renewal request gets dropped right then and there, and that's it now. The other one is that the judge could look over these papers and grant the continuance, which means the trial will be another time. Despite not knowing what would happen, I boarded the plane to San Francisco. My flight landed the night before the trial was set to begin. I got into San Francisco at around six o'clock tonight and was trying to see if anyone could mean up. But I took myself to dinner. I came to Original Joe's because it looked like, as San francis, good thing to do. Before I arrived, Laura appeared to have been communicating with Mike's attorney Omar. Those communications included a proposed stipulation from Laura that's basically a list of demands. Here's what she'd asked for, an extension of the DVRO for one year. Mike would need to withdraw the filings he submitted in the twenty twenty five DVRO, and that the twenty eighteen and twenty twenty restraining orders would remain valid and on the record. If Mike complied with these demands, among others, Laura would agree to drop the DVRO after that additional year. Mike was not willing to agree to that, but the night before the hearing, Omar sent another email with the counter proposal. He wrote, Let's keep this simple. We will agree to mutually dismiss with prejudice, having both parties pay their own fees and abide by all applicable laws. And while I was sitting there at dinner, I got a text with an update. So I'm heading over to talk to Mike and Omar right now. But this, this is huge. I'd never met Mike Marricini in person, but he and his lawyer Omar invited me to the hotel room where they'd been preparing for trial. They just heard the news that Laura might be dropping the restraining order. Content creator Megan Fox had been in the room with them recording when they found out it came in an email from someone in Laura's camp. Here's Mike and his lawyer Omar. The moment they got the email, he responded to you, how.
Speaker 18: We did and we'll fear my zone.
Speaker 8: Owe off.
Speaker 7: It's over.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: That's so fantastic that it's over.
Speaker 1: The judge in San Francisco told Laura she had to appear in person, but because of her felony indictments, she couldn't leave the state of Arizona without permission, and she hadn't filed that request yet. Everyone on Mike's team had been waiting, holding their breath to see if Laura would be showing up. Then this email came in saying she accepted their terms and would be appearing virtually. It meant that DVRO would finally be over. When I knocked on the hotel room door, Mike greeted me with a hug. He looked like he'd been crying. I got my phone out to record and asked them to explain the email they'd just received. Mike's lawyer, Omar jumped in, all right, I'm recording, so tell me what just happened.
Speaker 25: The case is over.
Speaker 26: Unofficially, we are going to show up in court tomorrow morning, nine am, and we're going to tell the JUCH that the parties have reached a global resolution or owns is going to miss her renewal motion with prejudice. Both parts, paid her own costs, attorney fees, obey all federal and statele hause, and go about their merry way.
Speaker 10: That's all we're going to do.
Speaker 1: Mike left a few minutes later to get some rest. He still had to show up to court the next day. After he left, I asked Omar the obvious question, do you think that this is going to stick at nine am tomorrow? Meaning is it really over? I've been following this case long enough to know that Laura has a habit of saying one thing and doing another. And these emails seemed kind of suspicious. They weren't from her lawyer. She didn't actually have a lawyer in this matter. She was representing herself. These emails came from someone named Matthew who was using a Gmail account. Now he is a lawyer and Omar spoke with him on the phone, but in this matter, he called himself a friend of the Owens family and was communicating with Omar on Laura Owens's behalf as a quote friend of the court. About twelve minutes later, Omar got an email directly from Laura Owens. Luckily I was still recording.
Speaker 25: Hey, so I just got this email from Laura email the department saying, Hi, I am looping in doctor Green and David Jingers, who like me, will be appearing via Zoom tomorrow and also need a link.
Speaker 8: Thank you Warmer's regards.
Speaker 25: That's the email.
Speaker 1: They knew Laura had plans to appear by Zoom the following morning, but they were under the impression that it was just to accept the terms and drop the domestic violence restraining order against Mike.
Speaker 4: The email was cryptic. Why did she want.
Speaker 1: Her doctor and her former attorney on the call if she was just going to drop the restraining order. It turns out the fight wasn't ending because Laura wasn't done with Mike Marriccini. For Mike, it felt like a power play.
Speaker 8: This is what she gets off on, is having power, manipulating people, manipulating the situation, utilizing the justice system. This is her foreplay.
Speaker 1: Trat, Thank you so much for listening. Please be sure to follow Love Trapped on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and please leave us a review. A five star rating helps others find this show. We're grateful for your support. If you would like to reach out to the Love Trapped team or have a similar story to share, email us at Love Trapped Pod at gmail dot com. That's Love Trapped Pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Love Trapped is.
Speaker 1: A production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group, in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. This show was executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning and Ben Fetterman, written, produced and hosted by me Stephanie Young. Our story editor is Monique La Boord. Producer on this episode is Sidney Gladoo. Additional production support from Todd Gans. Our production manager is Kristen Melchiri. For iHeart Podcasts, Ali Perry was our executive producer. Audio editing and mastering by Anna McClain. Additional editing support by Tanner Robbins and Matt delvecchio. Thank you to our voice actors Leslie Tolley, Todd Gans, Olivia Hewitt, Cooper Mall Matt Delvecchio and Sidney Gladoo. This podcast was developed in collaboration with Danny Passman and Leb Abramoff at Crybaby Media. The Love Trapped theme is composed by Oliver Bains Music library provided by Mybe Music. A special thanks to Carrie Lieberman, Will Pearson, Jessica Crincheck, Ali Canter, and the entire iHeart podcast team. And for more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts