Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And it's a beautiful, fabulous football Friday morning here at the Star in Frisco and inside the SWBC podcast studio.
Speaker 3: Which is really nice looking. It is very nice.
Speaker 4: Don't we look so much better?
Speaker 5: We look professional. I don't even have to dress up.
Speaker 2: Anymore because the studio looks so nice.
Speaker 4: Yes, so it's.
Speaker 2: Already one hundred degrees outside, but it's nice and cool inside.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's one.
Speaker 2: Hundred yet, but things are heating up. But as Mickey Spagnola is here to kick off your football Friday, the day before the final preseason game of twenty twenty three, when the Raiders come to town tomorrow night, seven o'clock kickoff at AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: You need some flaws, Yes I do.
Speaker 6: It's eighty eight degrees, it is.
Speaker 4: It's eighty eight degrees in climbing.
Speaker 6: So we get through this last game and then cuts on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Ye, cut down day is Tuesday. They got to be in by three o'clock Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 6: So anybody that you think you need to keep an eye on to see if they're gonna I figure we can get it to forty five right from fifty.
Speaker 7: So you think there are eight spots available?
Speaker 6: Bots about?
Speaker 4: I thinkink there's eight spots available.
Speaker 6: Well, if you look at the how many backup offensive line when you're going to keep.
Speaker 5: It's got it? Yes? God?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the total number?
Speaker 6: That's like or four? And then you've got to make decisions on the You'll.
Speaker 4: Have at least four backup offensive line.
Speaker 6: Right, but will they be the four on the team right right?
Speaker 4: They could be on other teams right now?
Speaker 3: So offensive line is the most important units backups for backups.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so. I mean we can argue about do you keep five or six wide receivers. I'm sure they're going to keep four tight ends. Now do you keep a full back? Are you going to keep four wide four running backs or just three?
Speaker 5: And do we ever really do we ever really hand it to the fullback? Do we ever give the full.
Speaker 6: Well, there's been a full back on the roster for.
Speaker 2: I think we did once last year when Zekera lined up at fullback and there you go, yeah, you got Yeah.
Speaker 6: So there's that decision, and then I think cornerback, maybe how many of those are going to keep? Because post to how many safeties should keep?
Speaker 2: You can tell this this has been troubling Vicky. You can tell right off the bat that's all he's talking about.
Speaker 5: It was last year. I mean, that was a big thing last year.
Speaker 2: You can just tell this is this is in his mind as he went to bed last night. He's trying to figure out, Okay, is it.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. I'm with you because of last year. I'm right there with you and the.
Speaker 6: Fact that you know, there's not been many years where they've had I think the depth they have right now, and so they've got decisions to make how they're going to coordinate this thing. And if they have some guys that they want to get on, ir so, now, who can you release to for a day and then re sign them that no one grabs, right, Okay?
Speaker 2: And if you lose one of those guys that you make a decision on, then what are you going to do?
Speaker 6: Cry?
Speaker 4: No, then you pick one of the one.
Speaker 5: There are other.
Speaker 4: Players that are out there on the streets. You do Tuesday?
Speaker 6: Did you do the master? Thirty two times?
Speaker 5: Really? That many?
Speaker 6: Thirty seven?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at now a team like the Cowboys, they don't have ninety players right now on the roster, but you can have up to ninety players.
Speaker 4: But let's take it to the maximum.
Speaker 2: Let's say that each team is cutting thirty seven players. They're going from ninety to fifty three on Tuesday at three o'clock. Thirty seven times thirty two, I think is eleven hundred and eighty four.
Speaker 6: Eleven and eighty four.
Speaker 2: I just did it, oney, one hundred and eighty four people are going to be on the street come three o'clock to now.
Speaker 6: I can do it faster than punching it.
Speaker 5: In, right.
Speaker 2: So so, and this is a great scouting department. There's going to be players that are available out there too.
Speaker 4: Now. Coaches like to coach the players that they've already been coaching.
Speaker 6: And McCarthy's big on that. I think he likes to keep his own So when we say fifty three, he's thinking sixty's.
Speaker 4: And there's coaches all around the league that the.
Speaker 2: Same way, right, you know, because if you don't know what you're getting with some players.
Speaker 5: Yeah, except for Michael Gallup.
Speaker 3: I don't recall us having a problem with wide receiver depth, do you, Because you start talking about keeping six.
Speaker 6: You mean now, well well so yeah, now, yeah, Okay, you got through your.
Speaker 2: Three and and last year you had without with a Marti Cooper going away and not really replacing him with another veteran accomplished receiver. And with Gallup you're you're basically starting Dennis Houston in the first game. Is Noah Brown And Dennis Houston.
Speaker 4: Was a third receiver last year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the depth that last year was not existing. But I mean they were always at least one wide receiver short last year, if not one and a half because Gallup really never got really did and Michael.
Speaker 4: And James Washington got hurt.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was the guy that they had signed and uh, you know, we were.
Speaker 5: Pulling for him all last year. It just never came into flu.
Speaker 6: So if you look at wide receiver, you've got the three you got Tolbert. I'm assuming they're going to count Cavante Turpin as the fifth guy. Now can you get a sixth? Jalen Brooks I don't know Noberto Tilbert's four turpens five if they're counting him as a wide receiver not just a special teams guy.
Speaker 2: And then how many other Jalen Brooks' is are there around the league that are also getting cut on Tuesday or they're making a decision on Tuesday, And so you could get to maybe to the practice squad if he gets through.
Speaker 6: And then you got to decide on Semi Fijoko who's had moments flashed. So that's kind of seven guys right there. Now, can you get one of them onto the practice squad?
Speaker 3: Well, that's where you always talked last year about special teams. Yeah, somebody being able to play on special teams if for Hoko was one of those.
Speaker 2: Guys exactly so, And that's where Tolbert wound up inactive last year is because of the lack of depth at wide receiver. He was being trained exclusively as a wide receiver and not being trained at all as a special teamer. And so then when it came down to make he's not starting, Okay, he's not in the rotation at wide receiver. If he's going to be on the game day roster, then he's got to contribute on special teams and so he wound up inactive.
Speaker 6: And see in the special teams thill you know they they had it figured. Fossil said before training camp started that he's he needs to replace two core special teams guys. They lost Noah Brown, They lost Luke Gifford, and he wanted to replace him with players at that same.
Speaker 4: Position to marvel on Overshell.
Speaker 6: So Overshawan was going to be Gifford and Stevens was going to be Noah Brown, and now both of them you lose them. Now do you have other players at those positions that could be scored core special teams players. So it's a pretty good juggling act that they've got to figure out.
Speaker 2: So what they're saying because Stevens listed as a tight end, Noah Brown was more of a crossover wide receiver tight.
Speaker 4: End in there.
Speaker 2: As we get a depth chart and we don't have that hybrid player listed on the depth chart.
Speaker 4: But that's the way they viewed Noah Brown.
Speaker 2: And so that's how John Stevens could have been on this team even with four.
Speaker 4: Other tight ends.
Speaker 2: He's more exactly a wide receiver and the core special teams guy, Noah Brown you know what that makes me laugh.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking of Rob Phillips because everybody would talk about Noah Brown being a good blocker, right, And I would always tell Rob, I don't want my wide receiver to be a blocker. I wanted to catch the ball, right. He would get so mad at me.
Speaker 4: Already catches Noah Brown had last.
Speaker 6: Year, I'm gonna get thirty.
Speaker 4: Had forty three catches forty three years the number and.
Speaker 6: Got him a one year deal with the Houston Texans.
Speaker 5: He's going to do well with that team. I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And you know, I guess there's a room for a guy that you know can be lock in the running game. You know, I give you another put a tight end out there.
Speaker 5: We've established that he does have gods. I wouldn't think that that's what they're going to have him.
Speaker 6: Therefore, except in overtime hinder shots stop.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to bring that up.
Speaker 2: Hindershots kind of has that hybrid tight end wide receiver makeup.
Speaker 5: I would not say that. I would not say that.
Speaker 6: Well. I mean, I think he's a receiving tight end.
Speaker 3: He's a receiving tight end tight end, but I wouldn't put him at the wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's I'm talking about in terms of more of the special Teams type. You know, if you're looking for that type of guy.
Speaker 6: And if you're looking for a couple of positives, you know, everybody's like, well they lost Dalton Shultz. No, Dalton shots wanted to leave, but they got four tight ends now that I think they've restocked that position.
Speaker 5: I've always liked that group of tight ends, even.
Speaker 2: I think Ferguson's a good play like I like Ferguson and Hindershot, I do a lot, a lot.
Speaker 6: Knocked it out of the part, and I think event in the fourth.
Speaker 2: Round and undrafted guy, I love it.
Speaker 6: And I think eventually scoon Maker is going to make you forget.
Speaker 3: I think the two that you just mentioned, they're going to make us forget those guys.
Speaker 6: And then McEwan's kind of the jack of all trades. He's your h back, full back special teams guy.
Speaker 4: Boy. Schottenheimer loves him. Yeah, he was talking.
Speaker 5: From him.
Speaker 4: I mean it was more it was about how smart he is.
Speaker 5: You know, let's use it, then, let's use it, you know.
Speaker 6: And the other thing dawned on me watching yesterday and they were in the last two days, Let's put it that way. Playing inside Tony Pollard, you know the worry he was, hey, can he come back and be the same as he's running hard and fast, putting his foot in the ground in these practices, and especially when they go inside, you get a little faster, I think. And so I don't think that's a concern. I think there was a concern. I should use the word focus because that's the word McCarthy. He doesn't like concern. He likes this word focusing on woul terren Steele come back in time from his acl well, I think he's back in time from his al He looks good. So those were a couple of the worries I think going into training camp. Would he be ready? Would Pollard be ready? I think they're both ready. So that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: I got to ask because I was on him last year.
Speaker 3: He didn't do well. He didn't protect his quarterback. How is Michael Gallup looking this China camp?
Speaker 6: I think he's looking like Michael Gallup from what was a twenty twenty one when everybody went wide receivers seen period when they were talking about the Cowboys having three one thousand yard receivers.
Speaker 4: Yes, that year.
Speaker 6: Well, I think he's back to being that now how they use him because now with Brandon Cooks, now you've got two really good guys, right, and then the third one. We'll see how it works, because it seems like very rarely have I seen him with just two wide receivers out there. It's usually three most of the time unless they go to tidy. So but yeah, I think if you look at the top three guys, that's pretty stout. Looking back at the Cowboys history, you know, usually that third guy was just a guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's the best trio of wide receivers that the Cowboys have had in any one season?
Speaker 5: I don't mine, you know, my Yeah, you can't. You can beat that. I mean, and they weren't just names.
Speaker 3: I mean, Butch was making as many catches as as the starters and drew and well.
Speaker 4: There wasn't as many footballs being thrown around, like.
Speaker 3: But the quality of catches, that's right, were important and they were amazing.
Speaker 5: And that's what you looked at.
Speaker 3: We didn't see much of Butch as we would see from what we're going to see from our three third wide receiver. But you did see great catches in quality moments. They didn't drop many at all, not many wasted past plays.
Speaker 6: And if you look at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: With Butch, come on, that was a catch with a broken thumb. He was hungry. He was hungry and angry all the time. He always wanted to play. And that's what you want.
Speaker 2: And think of the personalities of those three. The confidence level that those three wide receivers, they were ahead of their time as far as wide receivers we see wide receivers and how confident they are, you know.
Speaker 5: And I used to love watching Drew just walk. He was the coolest guy. Yeah, he was the coolest walking guy.
Speaker 6: He still is.
Speaker 5: Is that's right now.
Speaker 6: If you look at if you look at when the Cowboys have gotten themselves in trouble, like in the playoffs, it was because they didn't have enough quality wide receivers. One guy gets hurt and they didn't have a replacement. You know, I'm gonna look this up real quick.
Speaker 5: Was gonna do it.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: I just I reached down for those no watching.
Speaker 8: I reached down out of my briefcase and get my media guy out so that I can look up something that is you was Rob you look, Mickey reaches over, Okay.
Speaker 5: Every highjacket.
Speaker 6: Your conversation is that what you were going to look up?
Speaker 4: You gone.
Speaker 6: I wanted to make sure I had the number right. So the top three wide receivers, all right, Michael Irvin, Kevin Willilliams with thirty thirty six and the third the third and I wanted to remember how many catches he had, Corey Fleming six.
Speaker 7: It was your top three why receivers, because after Irvin it was Novachek, Edmond Smith, Kevin Williams, and Daryl Johnson with thirty.
Speaker 6: So if you look back.
Speaker 5: Did you just snatch that back out of mixed hands?
Speaker 6: If you look at back at ninety nine when they ran in the trouble at wide receiver, Michael got hurt, Dion had to help out at wide receiver. If you look at two thousand and seven when they got in the playoffs and Terrell Owens got hurt, they Creighton was the next guy right, and he tried to play through it. It just seemed like every time they had a falter in the playoffs, it was because they were lacking wide receivers.
Speaker 5: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: It was was Harper there with Kevin Williams in ninety four.
Speaker 6: Three, I think Kevin Williams was Yes.
Speaker 4: In ninety four, Irvin led with seventy nine and Harper was fifth on the team and receptions with thirty three, and Kitub had thirteen. He was next in line.
Speaker 6: And then ninety five a big yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well you had Nova check in him and Daryl Johnston in two, three and four, and then in ninety five, Irvin led with one hundred eleven receptions and Kevin Williams was second with thirty eight, and Fleming was that was your year?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the year. So yeah, the fact that Michael Gallups their third wide receiver, that's pretty song.
Speaker 2: Statistically, number of receptions in the season. What has been the best year or the top three wide receivers, but the best receiving trio in Cowboys history in terms of the number of receptions they had in a season, what do.
Speaker 5: You think that would have to be CD and Mike.
Speaker 4: It's twenty twenty, yeah, and it was and with Cooper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with Cooper, right, So they combined that year, they combined for two hundred and twenty five receptions. Cooper led with ninety two. Lamb had seventy four, and Gallup was fourth on the team behind Schultz with fifty nine.
Speaker 4: And so they combined for two hundred and twenty five or so.
Speaker 6: That was pretty strong, right, and so this if.
Speaker 2: Assuming they all stay healthy this year, they should challenge that.
Speaker 6: And then even when they won the first Super Bowl, I mean in ninety two, Calvin Martin would have been the third guy, right.
Speaker 2: Irving led that year in ninety two he led with seventy eight. Harper was fourth with thirty five, and Martin was with thirty two.
Speaker 3: Those are big, Those are big catches a boy, Martin, Yeah, big, they keep He was the Butch Johns for Harper to Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if we think back to the NFC title game, Yes, when Michael thought Michael Michael thought the ball was going the other way, he told Harper we're switching, and then it with Harper.
Speaker 2: Anyway, all right, we're just getting started on this Friday edition of Mixed Shots. We got so much more to get to when we come back in just a moment.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto, whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home. Blockchain dot com is just a few types away. Put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trusted by America's team.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor and combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and cowboy legends, want to stay at the Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 10: Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's Yang.
Speaker 11: Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold Koola a journey to foutopia.
Speaker 4: Burgers better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 6: To Mixed shots. Kateposts Roofing and Waterproofing, the Proud Roofing partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And this is mixed Shots brought to you by Miller Lite. Visit the Miller Lighthouse at the Star Infrasco.
Speaker 6: You know we used to have one of these on the desk back in the day, A media guide. Yeah, I remember, we left it in here, So we need to put it in that little cabinet there.
Speaker 2: Well, you need to go to the get a media relations department and find one, because you're not stilling jacking it again.
Speaker 6: All right, meaning to go up there and grab one.
Speaker 4: Good producer. Supreme will come to the rescue.
Speaker 2: Here. He's still getting acclimated here. He was when I walked in the door this morning. He was in here admiring every all the little nuances changing the news podcast.
Speaker 4: Studio he had.
Speaker 2: He had himself, he had his own legal pad out and he was going to see, I can do this, and I can do that.
Speaker 6: Well, I can do pictures.
Speaker 4: Pictures change out too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he'll do that on the air sometime where we can actually.
Speaker 4: See it in action.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 4: His mute button.
Speaker 6: We got your leg, We need your your mute button.
Speaker 2: See, there's also these microphones come equipped with a mute button apparently that we just discovered. By your leg, your left leg, by your left leg, it's red. There you go, there you go, all right, test it now, there you go.
Speaker 5: You know what, there's a lot of it is not even important.
Speaker 6: There's one thing you can control.
Speaker 5: And that's it.
Speaker 6: Back in the day, there was a lot of times that Cowboys wanted to mute everything. They finally got.
Speaker 4: He's the only one that has a good.
Speaker 5: Job, Chris. Way to go, buddy.
Speaker 2: The first time we did a show in here ever since, sat in that other chair over there, and Chris made sure he got in this one now and now we know why because there's.
Speaker 4: A mute button.
Speaker 5: Thanks Chris.
Speaker 6: All right, Mick, you what else you're worried about?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not worried about anything.
Speaker 2: If we were down to our last preseason game tomorrow night and the season's fast approaching, I got an opportunity last night to see the Philadelphia Eagles play on Amazon Prime and a lot of their backups were playing in the game, and I feel good about where the Cowboys stand going into this season.
Speaker 3: If they have to play season game one Prime, i'msed now.
Speaker 4: Michaels and Kirk herber Street were on the call with last night.
Speaker 6: YEP, WHOA Yeah, I was in the process, and Mark.
Speaker 2: Teitelman was the producer, the lead game producer for Amazon Prime and he will be in the truck tomorrow night doing the Cowboys preseason game along with fellow award winning director Brian.
Speaker 6: Lilly and Who's your partner.
Speaker 4: This isa standback. Very good tomorrow knight.
Speaker 5: It's right, so you're doing it, Bill Man.
Speaker 6: Isaiah sees the field really well. It's like he played quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yes he did.
Speaker 2: He missed his calling in the NFL if they would have kept him at quarterback. And you know, then along comes these other dual threat quarterbacks. About five or six years later and fifteen years later, what do we have?
Speaker 6: As Pat Summer all said that day, we all came around too soon.
Speaker 4: He's talking about money though.
Speaker 12: Isaiah still claims he has the longest hell Mary in uh in caa history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seventy five. Apparently it's on YouTube, seventy yards, seventy five yard Hail Mary. I don't know if it was completed or not, but he threw it seventy.
Speaker 6: He was the star going back to Seattle last weekend.
Speaker 4: That's right, did a big story in the story.
Speaker 5: Well they still remember Garfield.
Speaker 6: High School and we were on the sideline. There was more of the workers at the stadium coming up to say I wanted to get an autograph from.
Speaker 12: When you were the star quarterback at University of Washington up in Seattle. Right right there, you probably can get recognized a lot.
Speaker 6: And be like, you're going back to grambling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, big fish in a real small pond.
Speaker 2: Yes, I need to look it up before I comment on it. So you just empty your legal pad there and you tell us what's on your mind.
Speaker 13: So I think if you're going to tell what's on your mind, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I got a question for you. When you drive, do you go to speed limit all the time?
Speaker 5: Never?
Speaker 6: Do you go slower than the speed limit?
Speaker 5: Never?
Speaker 4: My wife says I do.
Speaker 6: My wife and daughter say that I go below. She wanted a driver education. I was just wondering because somebody was irritating me today. No going less than the speed limit?
Speaker 4: I'm with you, man, Well why.
Speaker 5: Well what we see on the post the speed limit, right? I mean, so you know you you don't want.
Speaker 6: To exceed the limit that everybody does. Everybody does, and who goes five?
Speaker 4: I go, I go with the flow? Okay, Well no you don't try.
Speaker 5: You don't know, you don't. I could just see what highway are you right on?
Speaker 6: Aburn told oh, you are not going with that flow that is flowing?
Speaker 5: That was yeah, he is.
Speaker 3: Not on twenty one, that Niagara, that's right, the rapids.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't see you going.
Speaker 2: Is this person that you were behind were they in the inside lane or the outside lane?
Speaker 4: It was in the slow lane.
Speaker 6: It was the residential, just two lanes. Resident's so you're supposed to going forty five. A guy's like a boulevard thirty five, especially people like that's not with a big truck.
Speaker 5: Even even a guy going thirty five. Policeman will kind of check that guy out, you know.
Speaker 6: You know, longside are weaving A long time ago, by what my uncles they drove to l A from Chicago and he got pulled over in the freeway because he's going too slow. Back it up traffic, all right.
Speaker 4: Huh that's right. Cornerback corner or corner corner?
Speaker 6: How many can you keep?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we're doing this plan.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask you my guy man, how goes?
Speaker 2: That was? Was?
Speaker 3: Uh, Joseph, how's he doing.
Speaker 6: Doing well on special teams? Okay, so that's he's.
Speaker 5: Gonna still have issues in coverage.
Speaker 6: He's spin the back up in the slot with Jordan Lewis out that that gives you a lot of work. He's behind you get a lot.
Speaker 5: Of work and that. Yeah, so what are you telling.
Speaker 6: Me, and I think he's I think he's done better. It's more not having to read the coverages. You're in the slot, you're probably in man. Yes, and I think it's been okay better. I think just that he's got so much ethletic.
Speaker 3: That's my point. That's my point. It's ha for me to let him go. It's hat for me to give up on him. You know, I see the talent. I see it, but I want to get I want him to put it together mentally.
Speaker 6: So you got Diggs, Gilmore, darn Bland. Okay, there's three right now, and then Joseph if he so.
Speaker 3: At this point, he's more, he's at this point, he's the fourth.
Speaker 6: And then the fifth. Jordan Lewis is probably going to be put on the what's he on now?
Speaker 4: Pup?
Speaker 6: So I bet that's the decision, and that's.
Speaker 2: That's the decision they have to make, or any team has to make at this point. Now here, we are sixteen days away from the season opener on Sunday, September tenth, and it's four games that you're out if you stay on PUB.
Speaker 4: Okay, this version of pub.
Speaker 6: He was on Puff to start training camp so he could remain.
Speaker 2: So if he remains on pupp throughout the preseason, then he doesn't count on the fifty three and he but has to sit out the first four games of the year. The decision they have to make right now, where is he in his recovery and might he return game three or game four? Where then you would want to activate him if you want to have his services earlier than that.
Speaker 4: Right, we're coming back to everything, but he would count against the fifty three.
Speaker 6: Now, well, he's running pretty hard, but he hasn't practiced so long season. If you leave him there then which I think there will the fifth Naseean Wright's still in a boot, so I don't know that he's ready and he may be one of those guys you want to keep on and then and then you.
Speaker 2: Put him on IR in season I are which is he can return from that after four games? He's you'll be down two corners there for the first four games.
Speaker 5: So hows twenty four doing? He can play.
Speaker 6: Corner mcclamu, Yes, and see he missed some time. They but they kind of had him playing more saved.
Speaker 2: He's never called him Kama, he just called him twenty four. Anyone who wears twenty four, they.
Speaker 4: Don't have a name.
Speaker 6: And then there's Eric Scott, who obviously they liked. You know, you don't trade, you don't trade into the first pick in the sixth round. Yeah, the guy from southern Mississippi. So he could be the fifth depending on how you judge Nasehan Wright. So that that's a decision. Uh, they've got to make. And I would imagine with mcclamu at the safety position, with other guys stepping up like Juan Ye, Thomas, Marquis, keise Bell. You know, you got Wilson who probably can start practicing next week. I think you got Hooker and you got cursed, so you kind of got a logjam at the safety position too. So those are some of the things in the secondary. I think they've got a he did.
Speaker 3: Well mcwamou he did do well last year. I think they had him at corner a couple of times last year.
Speaker 5: He did well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was I would say, okay at the safety position.
Speaker 4: Okay, so then corner in safety.
Speaker 2: Combine the two positions. How many years they're keeping in the secondary?
Speaker 6: Usually ten? Can you keep eleven? See we're always stretching it. Can you keep keep all these tight ends, all these running backs, Son.
Speaker 5: You got sixty five man rosters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, so if.
Speaker 2: You keep eleven, I mean, just as an example, you keep eleven in the secondary because of the injury issues that you have there. Okay, you have to cover yourself for these early games. And then do you go with three running backs thinking that the fourth running back can sneak through waivers and get to get practice.
Speaker 6: Practice squad see. And then the other deal is linebacker, because I'm not sure they got enough depth at linebacker now after losing overshown Jabril Cox, they really need him to step up. And then there's Harper and then the other thing I can think of for depth a linebacker. If need Parsons can play linebacker, you know, you might not have the luxury to keep them as a kind of defensive end all the time. And see another linebacker that you like well.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing that complicates matters is Malik Jefferson's injury.
Speaker 6: Right now. He was in practice on Wednesday, so that was back. I don't know how much he practiced. Uh, he was getting reps yesterday in the walk through as the second second line of linebackers, he and Harper.
Speaker 4: But the way things are.
Speaker 2: And then Isaiah Land is a guy that you know, he's a he's a tweeter, more of a pass rusher, but he could from a special team standpoint, fall into that category of linebackers.
Speaker 6: And I think if there was a young guy that they were going to keep, he'd be one.
Speaker 4: So so maybe they would.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's gonna going to come down special teams.
Speaker 6: Come down for special teams.
Speaker 4: Right, So at linebacker then.
Speaker 6: Because they're a little thin there. You know, if you you're good with Damon Clark and Leyton Vanderish as your starters, then if you and then however you want to Bill Stevin Harper and then curse kind of linebackers.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, they're going to be compromised, right, if you're talking about being shorted linebacker, you're going to be compromised and be ready for that. Yeah, And they did all last year and it would it did? Okay, I mean you had big safeties in there playing linebacker.
Speaker 6: And that's what they're trying to do with Bell.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: Think about compare the roster this year with last year, and we talk about overshown and him taking Luke Gifford's spot, like on special teams, right, because Gifford was not usually a part of the.
Speaker 6: Defense at all unless somebody got it hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other guy that you're replacing from last year at linebacker who has not signed anywhere right now is Anthony Barr. And so if you look at who's who was on this out there, somebody No, he know New Orleans. There was a report, there was a report that he was signing with New Orleans several weeks ago.
Speaker 4: He did not.
Speaker 2: In fact, he went and went to the Giants and they didn't sign him either. He's still out there.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: So but anyway, my point is you're down on a linebacker from what you had on this roster last year, right, So an overshown was taking that spot basically as far as a guy who could contribute on whatever package he would be on the field.
Speaker 6: Drink see. And I still don't think you want Parsons playing fifty snaps as a defensive end. I think you're going to wear them out.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, he may have put on a little bit more weight with strength, but he still know more than what two fifty to fifty five at the most. And if he's got to play the run every play. I just don't.
Speaker 5: I'd rather see him as I've always did bother you.
Speaker 2: I guess my question is because of the overshown injury, are the Cowboys in the market for a linebacker from somewhere else?
Speaker 6: If I think they got to keep to ey.
Speaker 4: To fortify themselves against injury?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, because one injury, who's who's stepping in for d'moon Clark or who's stepping in for Leyton Vanderish.
Speaker 3: Boy has to be the low hanging fruit. I mean, while get someone that you have to teach the system too all over again, if you don't have anyone else out there, that's yeah.
Speaker 6: I think if one of those starter ones who gets hurt, Parsons got to go back to linebacker, which I'm okay with because in a lot of their change up defenses they only use one linebacker and then he can go back to being a pass rushing defensive end or wherever they want him to rush.
Speaker 3: So what's going to be the focus for Michael Parson's what do they want him.
Speaker 6: To He's played a lot of defensive end in training camp, so but I think that you know, using him at linebacker is not a bad idea, especially if you want to go three right. I mean, sometimes when everybody's in a two tight end.
Speaker 4: You could disguise him as the pass rusher.
Speaker 6: Exactly, which they are kind of doing with vanderash at times. If they're in some sort of change up defense and they have two linebackers in there, they've kind of been put in him as a pass rusher.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know what we're gonna do next here on mix shots.
Speaker 6: Take a break.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a break when we come back from the break. Yes, it's our first pick.
Speaker 4: Of the three season.
Speaker 2: Our picks to click in the final preseason game tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Night when we come back.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's great heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 2: Hey Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party?
Speaker 4: Bring Yo Kiero guacamole. Be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 2: Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices.
Speaker 4: It will be the star of any party.
Speaker 2: You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager in tell them Yo Kiero Yo Kierro walk them only.
Speaker 3: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 2: To Mixed Shots, we continue with Mixed Shots brought to your by Miller Light. To visit the Miller Lighthouse at the Star in Frisco. Mickey Spagnola visited there just the other day, did you not, Mickey?
Speaker 6: I was not over.
Speaker 4: Oh you weren't. I'm sorry. You're making plans to visit their?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, to thank your sponsors of this show.
Speaker 6: If I need a like a part time job and go over and be when you might a tour guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might need that very soon. I could be a tour guy right all right?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: And tomorrow night at and T Stadium, Cowboys and the Las Vegas Raiders, you know, Vegas played their starters to start the game last week. In fact, DeVante Adams got on the field for one snap. I guess they just they wanted to have all their starters out there. You know, he got hurt in training camp.
Speaker 6: It was like dress rehearsal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got head. But then they put them out there.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't even one play. What why, I don't know.
Speaker 4: They just did.
Speaker 5: Why even dress him out?
Speaker 2: And they probably ran the ball probably, so I think he got his work in and so he's probably not playing. But you know what, how you need to kick off your football Saturday tomorrow? How many games you need to be here at Ford Center at the Star in Friscool High School game for the Jerry Jones Classic. Oh yes, the Jerry Jones Classic is tomorrow afternoon here, so you go come here.
Speaker 4: It's at one o'clock.
Speaker 6: It's under the lights. Remember the rock.
Speaker 2: Wall Yellow Jackets versus the Cedar Hill Long Horns. It ought to be a classic to start off. And the best thing of all this inside Ford Center where it's seventy two degree.
Speaker 6: Figure out how to get inside right.
Speaker 2: So that's how you kick off your football Saturday tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Then you concluded at at and t Stadium.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure I can do that because we have rehearsal for our pregame show.
Speaker 4: Want to go to the first half and then just yes.
Speaker 3: You you got some love to McKenny though from last night n one, Last Kenny one, last night of my long view Lobos.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, long He's got a good team. He's got it's going you.
Speaker 3: That's big, big Tatum one on the field goal last last minute.
Speaker 4: Really, yes, Kitty's got a good team. Kitty's got that quarterback. You go, they all got Yeah. They also transferred.
Speaker 12: They also got that Duke Petty, John's son plays for McKinney, the former Desperado and Syracuse orangebo.
Speaker 6: I remember the Desperaco part of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: By the way, I should point this out. Yesterday, the Cowboys did a really neat thing at AT and T Stadium. They hosted a memorial service for Phil Whitfield, former UH security guard at Texas Stadium, and then he became the ambassador of the Art Project at AT and T Stadium and he would do the tours and he was kind of the welcoming guy. And I just thought it was a neat thing in one of the clubs. I think that was the same club that Chris got Meridian at the stadium and there was probably I started counting how many rows and how many seats and there was enough for five hundred people there and it was pretty packed.
Speaker 5: Were the Jones family always showed.
Speaker 6: They were always they were all there. And I'll tell you what, Missus Jones got up and spoke and it was like they need to take the wraps off her. She was pretty darn good about her eulogy for Philled because she was, you know, worked with him close on the art projects. It was a pretty heartwarming affair, and especially for the family because he passed away when everybody was at training camp or the Hall of Fame. Yeah, and so yeah, Phil was He was my guy at Texas Stadium because he was the last guy there for security and I would always be the last person to finish in the press box. He was the slowest writer, that's right, and I had to read everybody's copy.
Speaker 5: He's the slowest reading.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and he would always wait and he'd come and look for how you doing, I'm going find I'm hurting. He goes, don't know, make me take your time, take your time, and he would be down there at Texas statement and he opened the gate for me. It was the last gate before they closed everything. He was he was the best, absolute best. So I thought it was a neat touch by the Jones family.
Speaker 4: And he had been with Cowboy since nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, I.
Speaker 4: Always was big smile on his face. I'm in full of joy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And when he would host when they do the tryouts for the cheerleaders, he was kind of the one that kind of hurted him in and telling him where to go and kind of They had a video of him kind of loosening him up while the judging was going on and he was in there dancing with them. It was pretty funny. So anyway, I just thought i'd sixty three years Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, picks to click tomorrow night. I got one pick to click, all right, I got a couple. Coach talked about him yesterday in the press conference.
Speaker 5: Okay, you said it.
Speaker 2: Already, Hunter Lipkey, all right, running back, he's gonna get a lot of totes tomorrow night because they're protecting other running backs.
Speaker 6: Right, I am going to go because this guy seems the ball. If he doesn't get it, it bounces to him. Eric Scott the cornerback Southern Mississippi.
Speaker 4: Bounce to him, He's going to get a scoop and scoot touch.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: It has nothing to do with how well he plays. The ball just bounces to I used to get tired of that crap. The ball just finds him here playing dB. I'm my man, it just somehow falls into his hands.
Speaker 6: He had one of those in practice either Tuesday or Wednesday. The receiver bobbled the ball in the end zone. That's what I Yes.
Speaker 3: Well, I say only because this all the happens to let to him what what's what's uh?
Speaker 5: How important is this game for Quentin Bohanna.
Speaker 6: Very because I think they're to the point on that defensive line where I don't know if they can keep Bohannah and Neville Gallimore and so with the addition of Mosley Smith and have moved Golston inside a lot from defensive end to defensive tackle, things are getting pretty crowded in there.
Speaker 5: Is this your article?
Speaker 6: No, but I could have I could have written.
Speaker 5: It because you spoke what they were talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so at least whoever wrote it new what they So that's what's important. Yeah, yeah, it is. I think I think it's probably coming down to either or on that defensive line. And again, do you keep nine do you keep ten? Because you resally keep eight acts on game day. And they've got guys that can do both because in the nickel they can move Armstrong inside the tackle. They've done it with DeMarcus Lawrence inside uh at tackle. So even and we haven't mentioned it yet, even Sam Williams, sometimes I've seen them move them inside to to increase the pass rush.
Speaker 2: And we're out of time on this edition of Get to Sam Williams. I thought you were going there when you're talking about speed limits and stuff. But all right, we will be back on Tuesday next week.
Speaker 5: That was Bill Jones was.
Speaker 2: Tuesday, Tuesday and Thursday next week. Absolutely, so we will officially cut down the roster on Tuesday.
Speaker 6: Morning before yeah, before well, it may get done, the reports may come out before the nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: We're still in camp Martins, Okay, and enjoy the game on Saturday night and we'll chat at you again next week here on Mix Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.