Speaker 1: We used to get this free Pinkberry from this guy all the time, and Danielle and I were like, oh my god, he's gonna get fired. And when I tell you, he would give us free pingberry every single time, and we.
Speaker 2: Went to pink You're the part you're skipping that's important is we went to Pinkberry seven days a week, oh my god, every single day, which was at some point the one on Sunset when we used to live in West Hollywood, Okay, And every single day we would go in there at some point and get Pinkberry, and if he was there, he would just give it to us for free every single time everything. And I, as you know, don't love free stuff because I feel obligated. And a half the time I would only have twenties and I would want and so then I would end up paying twenty dollars in.
Speaker 3: The tip jar for the poor.
Speaker 2: Would I'd be like, could you please just charge me for the pinkberry because I'm losing money on the tip in the tip jar.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and we'd say he's gonna get fired, and we'd say he's probably just a huge boy meets world, like this is insane.
Speaker 3: It's so weird. Because he never said anything, never said like I loved you on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: Nothing.
Speaker 3: And then after about six months of going.
Speaker 1: There, I mean hundreds of dollars.
Speaker 2: We get pinkberry and another person serves it to us and says, no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Allowed to charge you.
Speaker 1: Josh.
Speaker 3: Josh would be mad if I charged you, and.
Speaker 1: We were like, oh my god. Now he's involving other people in his scheme.
Speaker 3: This is so weird.
Speaker 2: Then the next time we go, Josh is there and he goes, oh, I heard you met my my coworker last time, and I'm glad he didn't charge you.
Speaker 3: He would have been in trouble. And we were like, huh yeah, and he goes, uh.
Speaker 2: This is embarrassing. But I have to ask, and I go what. He goes, were you on a TV show? And I said yeah, I was on Boy Me's World. He goes, that's so funny. I I've never seen it, but my coworker told me that that you were, so I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I'm so sorry I didn't know.
Speaker 1: He said, that's cool, that's that's cool.
Speaker 3: Sorry to have a good day.
Speaker 4: So why is he giving you free do you still not know?
Speaker 5: Is there no end to this story. I thought, O, d oh, you're killing me. So you still don't know, no idea. Hundreds of dollars, hundreds of dollars.
Speaker 2: There and we don't get it. And I also got Captain Crunch on it all the time, totally chewed up the roof of my mouth.
Speaker 6: Captain Crunch is amazing and the only reason I'm upset with having left social media is one of my first tweets was how has Captain Crunch never been promoted?
Speaker 4: Because come on, these.
Speaker 6: Guys been a she's obviously doing something wrong. And Captain Crunch himself from his verified account, I mean tweeted back and said it because Admiral Crunch makes no sense. Oh so I was like, okay, this is why people do social media because Captain Crunch.
Speaker 5: Himself absolutely the real Captain Crunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the real I'm sorry, it's captain well it is, but it's he's a captain.
Speaker 6: But still he's I want to know what's going you know, he's got to have some some serious problems to not be promoted, to ask.
Speaker 3: I know, No, you're right, that's been a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been.
Speaker 1: He's getting away free pink Bury to customer.
Speaker 4: That could be it. It could be he could be Josh's uncle.
Speaker 6: I'm dying to know what Josh is thinking as he's just giving away. And and because it's the it would be one thing if it was like, okay, you know I always get but to then bring in his coworker to say, I'll be pissed if you charge these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, the coworker definitely knew who she was, So how did you even not have that conversation with the coworker.
Speaker 3: That's what doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 5: With it.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 6: So it's not that he had a crush on you. I mean it is, but Jensen's there, so it's not like she's a pretty girl.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, I don't know. It's a very it's a mystery niversity genuine.
Speaker 1: When he told us, it looked so real.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the history of the universe. I don't have to say about it.
Speaker 4: Amelia Earhart, Sean Benay, Josh.
Speaker 3: Berry, Joshah, Pinkberry. Yeah, those are the things.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is Pinkberry still a thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's one in North rich Okay, never had.
Speaker 4: It in my life.
Speaker 2: We took Adler to Pinkberry for his first ever frozen yogurt and I'll never forget it because Adler had never had it before. And so he takes a bite of it, and he's like a little hesitant at first, and then he's like, oh yeah, this is pretty good, and then he takes another bite, and he takes another bite and then all of a sudden, Jensen goes what's happening? And I just look at Adler and Addler's like this.
Speaker 1: His eyes are just bulging out. There's like his mouth is shivering.
Speaker 3: He's like, and I go, oh god, oh wait, he has a brain.
Speaker 5: Freezing brain freeze, first ever brain freeze, first ever brain freeze.
Speaker 3: And I just fully saw it.
Speaker 1: He was like, and then when it stopped, he looked at us like I was gonna.
Speaker 4: Die so much better it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: The first time I ever learned that. The way my brother and sister in law raised my nephews far different than I was raised is we were in Amsterdam and they were little, little kids, and we found one ice cream shop all the way across the city still open, and the adults wanted to go out do something. So I said, you know what, I'll take the boys and we'll go and we'll find ice cream, and we walked through the streets of Amsterdam for like an hour to get to this place. And we finally get there and my nephew is probably seven at this time, and he looks up and says, my brother and I will split a small fat free chocolate. And I was like, who the hell are these children and how do I get them.
Speaker 4: Away from my brothers?
Speaker 6: Immediately I'm like, we walked an hour for the two of you to split a small fat free chocolate?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: I was so upset, couldn't go too little.
Speaker 4: I was like, your uncle's here, what do you want this? You don't even have to finish it. They split a small cup, nothing on top, nothing of fat free frozen yogurt.
Speaker 3: Rill needed to spend more time with those children.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, just try walking the streets of Amsterdam by the way with two little kids, like, no, don't look over there, don't look over there, don't look over there.
Speaker 4: What's that smell? Nothing? Nothing, don't look over there. Oh.
Speaker 6: It was amazing because you'll walk by like a coca cola add it'll just be a naked woman like by coke, and it's like, wait a minute, Okay, this is what whoa whoa Yeah it's uh but yeah fat free yogurt split.
Speaker 4: I was so Depresedub'll share one.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, who are what did you get?
Speaker 6: The double triple Sunday fudge? Whatever the hell it was where it was like, I'm eating this and winning a shirt. So sit there and watch me.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 4: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm Rider Strong and I'm wilfred Ell. Both I'm both today.
Speaker 2: Oh, Rider Strong is not with us because he has finicky internet.
Speaker 4: No internet today, no internet.
Speaker 3: He tried, he was on for a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Things were looking good, and then he disappeared and he was the first froze.
Speaker 6: The freeze was great because we were like, it was right when he's going to say Rider Strong, and he froze, and we were like, is he.
Speaker 4: Contemplating his name?
Speaker 3: Is he thinks he's forgotten? Yeah? That is what it looked like.
Speaker 2: Well, Las Vegas Week continues, and today we have a banger as we prep for season seven. It marks Boy Meets World's entry into the year two thousand and As pre we figured, it gets no more y two K than a two thousand and two to two thousand and three season of Say What Karaoke filmed at the MTV Summerhouse in the Hamptons, hosted by Danielle Fischer and a guy named Stephen from the Real World, and judged by this week's very special guest. It was when I first got to know her, spending one of the best summers of my life with an effortlessly cool pop star, driving around, sharing secrets and laughing NonStop, all with the backdrop of a pre paparazzi trl society.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 4: The good old day, good old times.
Speaker 2: She was just about to release Autobiography, her debut album that would hit number one and go on to sell five million copies worldwide. And yet there she was, down to earth, funny, beautiful, and for some reason posing for pictures pretending she had.
Speaker 3: Pickles for eyebrows. I have that photo. What I have A great picture with her holding two pickles.
Speaker 2: Above her eyebrows, right, cute. Listen, we had fun. Don't ask what we did.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Her and her sister Jessica dominated pop culture at an almost once in a generation level. It's experiencing the highs and lows that came with celebrity at the time. Something I think should be examined then condemned in modern day criticism with words like misogyny and bullying. You see, kids, the two thousands got very weird, especially for famous women. We were talking to her just weeks before I Am Me a group of seven shows in Las Vegas at the Venetians Voltaire Theater. It's a return to music for the dedicated mom of three, a celebration for her fans, those of us who consider songs like Pieces of Me, La La Boyfriend and the entire Bittersweet World album to be wildly underappreciated jams. Oh don't believe me. Ask Rolling Stone in the New York Times, both outlets who've recently admitted.
Speaker 3: That we fumbled what we had with her.
Speaker 2: Young Alanis lyrics at first, then later throwback synthpop, all born too early for its proper credit. But today we will give credit where credit is due. Please welcome to pod meets World. The loveliest spirit and a true survivor. It's Ashley Simpson Ross.
Speaker 7: Hash I doing this right.
Speaker 3: It was not your fault. We were running like two minutes. Wait, guys, it's me.
Speaker 7: Also with technology, I'm so bad at it.
Speaker 4: I mean this is too terrible.
Speaker 7: It's nice having like a sixteen year old son because I'm like, he's not here right now, He's in Japan. I'm like, what do I do?
Speaker 3: What is Bronx doing in Japan?
Speaker 7: He's out there with his dad right now, like just Pat, he's been out there for just living life. Summer trip.
Speaker 4: Oh that's awesome, beautiful face too. I'm jealous.
Speaker 7: I mean, I need him right now. I'm doing technology.
Speaker 3: I know, hello, FaceTime him? I need you. What time is it in Japan?
Speaker 7: Oh my, I'm like, am I doing this Instagram right?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, She's going to need his help to FaceTime him. Though, that's the problem I know exactly.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but like that's the nice thing about having a team. Now, Like we just saw you at the mall. I had the shirt on I'm we wearing.
Speaker 2: I was literally planning when we started our interview to talk about how lovely it is to see you for the first time. And then we ran into each other at the Topanga mall.
Speaker 3: Mall my mall too, guys.
Speaker 4: Are we neighbors? Are we all neighbors? That's a.
Speaker 7: Flying place for the hoo. And you know what is so funny here's about like how funny life is with Jagger. Didn't realize who you were. And then I told her after and she was like, oh my god, Mom, she's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, girl meets world. Of course that's like in her in her ballpark.
Speaker 7: Oh my god. I was dying. She was like, oh my god, can we like go back and color like Jagger? You can see if any time, we'll.
Speaker 3: Do lots of get togethers, we'll do lots of hay we're.
Speaker 7: At that to pay them all.
Speaker 2: Do your kids like the mall the same way we all liked the mall when we were teens.
Speaker 7: It's so funny because I feel like even with my husband, he's like, I've never known somebody who likes the mall, Like why do you like to go to the mall? Like thank you, Hey, you're going to the mall? Like that's where you're taking the kids to the mall.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what we grew up doing, the mall. Yeah, so do mine.
Speaker 2: So my son started his first day of first grade yesterday. And on the little form thing you fill out, you know what his name is, what school he goes to, what his what are some things he loves? I said, what do you love and he said, my mom, my, dad, the mall, and everyone in my family.
Speaker 7: It's like, there's so many opportunities. Go to movies, you can go to the.
Speaker 3: Arcade, some food. If you're not really that hungry, you can stop the food, get a snack.
Speaker 4: That the mall was higher on the list than his brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother fell into everyone in my family. Yeah he didn't get.
Speaker 7: I like him all.
Speaker 2: My happy place mine too, absolutely, and Ashley, I have been so excited to get you on the podcast, not just so we could catch up, but because you are essentially doing the music equivalent.
Speaker 3: Of our podcast in Vegas.
Speaker 2: You're at the Venetian revisiting your music career, but instead of a podcast, you're doing it with a whole string of shows, and we are talking to you just a few weeks before your first show.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about it all.
Speaker 7: I'm feeling so good. I'm really excited about the show. I mean, honestly, just being in that room. And I have so many like female players now too, which is so hot, and new players revisit that music and for me to revisit and revisit the things like I wrote when I was eighteen, revisiting that has been so much fun for me and just like bringing it to twenty five right now, I'm so excited, honest. And another thing like that really like drove me to it was my daughter, like all of a sudden, like her and her friends were like hello, Hello, like v and like I was like, how is this like happening? I'm like Pat Benatar to you?
Speaker 8: You know what I mean, Like there was like a letter for me and all that, and then there was like Pat and like yeah, yes, I love what I understand.
Speaker 7: And you know, I'm like the older tear.
Speaker 2: How did it come together? Who approached you? Did you have to be convinced? Was it your brainchild? How did it come about?
Speaker 7: My husband and I were like, oh God, Like you know, I've been wanting to play again and I've been wanting to music out. And I did a twenty year anniversary of my first album last year and I did like I just played three songs, and when the three songs were over, I was like.
Speaker 4: Got that too, It's not enough.
Speaker 7: I wanted to keep going. So this just felt like organic and fun. Vegas is like so sexy and close and it just like gives you that vibe where you can be nostalgic. I've seen his mother, Diana Ross play there. She's amazing, and like, it's just a place where I think Vegas is like open to so many fun things. So for me, it was just like the right opportunity. And for me, I'm like a person who like waits for that door. I'm like, Okay, here's an open door, and this is the moment I'm going to see what this brings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting because when we started this podcast we didn't know what was going to happen either. There's just kind of okay, we're going to talk about what it was like we were a certain age and we've got you know this, seven years of our life has been captured and we can But then it brought up a whole lot of stuff we didn't expect to be churned up. And you're kind of reliving certain things, not all of it great. Have you noticed that you're kind of going through some of the same emotions as you're going back through your catalog?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, Yeah, and every you I get to relive everything. But yes, and and also like a lot of like great Like actually I met Danielle we were working what was it MTV in the Hampton's Springburger, Summer Beach it was Summer Beach House.
Speaker 2: Yes, when the year they brought back Say What Karaoke, Oh My God, which I.
Speaker 3: Think was like two thousand and two, two thousand.
Speaker 7: And three, it was yeah, because I didn't come out with my music. I was writing music, but I didn't. Ah. Yeah, I was on seventh time in.
Speaker 3: Yeah and we.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's one of my most favorite memories of my entire life is the time Ashley and I got to spend together that summer.
Speaker 3: We just don't anyone else seeing.
Speaker 7: Me at them all the other day, I was like, oh, I'm doing this, but I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, we just there. We had such a great time.
Speaker 2: I don't know what anyone else was doing, but the two of us, he really did. It was like every It was like every vision you have of what two teen girls released on their own in New York and the Hampton's minus pillow fights.
Speaker 3: We didn't have any pillow fights.
Speaker 2: But otherwise, you know, why didn't we Why didn't we ruined the w in Times Square?
Speaker 7: That was like the place they would put us.
Speaker 3: That's where they put us up.
Speaker 7: Because even when like it was like seventh teven. I feel like I was always at the w Were you guys.
Speaker 3: Too, No, we never got to New York.
Speaker 4: I never said anywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, you immediately sold out all of your first dates when they were announced, and so then they added more.
Speaker 3: Did you see that coming or was it a surprise to you?
Speaker 7: It was a surprise to me. I mean I didn't really know what to expect for me. I was just like, oh, like in general, to get back to play those songs and the twenty five version of it, which is like what I've been being in the room enjoying is I'm like, oh, Ashley, Yeah, because a lot of my lyrics, like I go through and every day when I was younger, it was like therapy. I'd go to the studio, Like my boyfriend broke up with me, I'd go to the studio write about it. And what people don't do in their music anymore are bridges. And that's like yours. That's like your light, that's your and so like every song like I have that, and I'm like, ah, you always found it even though you were young and going through so much. You know, I feel like I always was like finding that, And I feel like as a four year old woman. I'm still able to connect that and see so much of that and I'm like, ooh yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, girl, yeah, proud of you.
Speaker 7: Like, well, it's so hard because you don't pat yourself on the back at that time. Yeah, it was like at this age, now you can be like, oh that was really good.
Speaker 2: Isn't it nice too to be able to look back and give that younger version of you that you were so hard on.
Speaker 3: A nice hug, be like, I mean, do you do the same? Absolutely? It's like, wow, you were you weren't that awful? Why are you so? Why were you so hard on yourself?
Speaker 7: Danielle?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like I was so hard on myself. And look I look back now and I'm like, what you were doing great? Look at you go, look at you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's so nice to like, yeah, to feel a sense of pride.
Speaker 7: Like a freeing moment, I think, and I can't wait to be there and play the shows. And for me, it's just been nice, like just the testament of like my fans now you know, they're all adults, the kids that were like nine and eleven that came to my show back in the day, they're like grown Corona dimmy Lovado and I mean even so that was another moment too, because she used to cover my song La La on her tour and I went and paid it with her. He's like, God, that was so much fun, and like how much I respect her as an artist and the fact that she was playing that was so nice. That is to me, those moments like led to this to me to like be here now and I'm so excited. Also, my daughter, she's like the ones, Like she came to my rehearsals the other day She's like, Mom, you sound so good. And I was like, because she didn't know that side of me, just like, yeah, give me this.
Speaker 4: Mom, Yeah, your mom.
Speaker 3: Exactly right now.
Speaker 2: Well, we have established that everyone is ready for Ashley Simpson Ross in twenty twenty five. But I wanted to talk a little bit about your past as well, because it is a common trivia question. But I'm not sure everyone knows you weren't the youngest person ever admitted to the School of American Ballet at age eleven? Wow ah, how did that come about? Growing up in Texas? How did you then find yourself in ballet?
Speaker 7: You know, my mom like always my mom's like my best friend still, you know my mom.
Speaker 3: I know your mom, yes, but.
Speaker 7: She always kind of supported our dreams. And Jessica and I like grew up entertaining, which I'm sure you guys did. Wow, yeah, where you're at. And for me, ballet was just something like I started at such a young age and I took it so seriously. Like by the time I was in third grade, I was on point. So I was like dancing with seventeen year olds by the time I was, you know, very young to Prince Lord.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: Here. But you know, for me, I think that the one great experience about that. So then I would go downtown. I lived in Dallas, and I'd go downtown. I'd auditioned for all the ballet schools, so like then I was like accepted, you know, full scholarships. So like you're all baby two U Sab you know those things. And then I always loved Sab in New York City ballet, so I went there. But yeah, I mean it's like one of those things that's still like engraved in my body.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well you mentioned your sister Jessica, who then became a global pop star and a reality TV pop culture phenomenon. How did the takeoff of her career start the trajectory of your career. You started as a backup dancer for her, right, yeah, okay, so how did that start shaping your future? And when did the record deal discussion start?
Speaker 7: Okay? So I did as I would do this summer as I was offered the year to go there, and then my family, my sister got signed to Columbia that the second year I went to sav it was a summer I went actually, and they were like, oh, you can go a year and got signed in. My family was like, we're going to move to LA and it was actually funny enough, but that year I was like, oh, you know, like I love ballet, but I'm not gonna be Avallerina, you know. So they were like, you could go, you can stay, you can go to New York and do school there at Julliard, go to or you can come with us to LA. And I was like, oh, I'm going to go to LA. I'm going to go to acting and I'm going to like you know, because I also like dreamed of like theater and acting and just like a different world of stage other than one thing. So I went with my family, and they were like, you can dance back up for your sister. And I was her background dancer. Now, mind you, I'm not a hip hop dancer. So I'm working with all these great dancers like keep down, get low. It's like sometimes I'm a half beat behind, and I got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't imagine. I can't imagine ballet translating super easily to hip.
Speaker 7: I'm great with modern.
Speaker 6: Why is that one girl in the background on point?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: But it was just such a cool experience to have that with my family, and you know, you guys know that time. It was a time where like I felt very like like I wanted to cover her and support her as well. Like the world was just so different with artists and everyone and judgment, Like oh, the magazines and went the comments that people felt like they could say about people. I was like, did you just say that about my sister? You know, I felt very like protective. But I feel like having that moment, it taught me so much about myself as an artist. So my parents let me have my friend come out on tour with me and guitar tech for the guitar players, so I could write my own songs. Oh, so I danced here until at sixteen I left and went to Seventh Heaven and started writing my first album. But having that time, I think really taught me what I wanted, what I needed, as you know, like, oh, I will not let you tell me what to do or this label tell me what to do or who I'm supoub beat. I mean, I was lucky to have a whole big sister that I got to learn from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what an incredible education, you know, like a hands on, right right up close, look at it, right. Was there a culture shock for you coming from Texas moving to La Like, was there did your family have a culture shock?
Speaker 7: Feeling well, where did we move to Hassin Heights? And then yeah, I mean I think there was a little bit of a shock. But then I think there was like a group of like Texas people that friends with. Some of them are like still my best friends to this day. So I think there was a difference and was it was different? But then we mostly traveled on on tour, so that part was just like fun and experiencing like the silliness of that with a bunch of like girls on tour and what that is.
Speaker 2: And you know, so was that with Kevin, your first acting experience.
Speaker 7: No, what was it? I did like a funny like one line and hot Ship or a few lives, hot shit, okay and nice seven. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, I'm so curious.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I'm just so curious because you have a very unique insight in that very rarely do you meet people that have been both in the music industry and the acting industry, And so I'm curious how it's too big a question to say how different are they? But is there one side of the industry that is quote unquote less toxic.
Speaker 4: Than the other side.
Speaker 6: We keep hearing like, because I only know the acting side of the of the industry, and they're always like, okay, well you know, as young actors, it can be this can be bad or that can be bad. And then we hear people often saying, whoa man, you should see what the music industry is like.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious.
Speaker 6: Was it that big a difference being a young entertainer in the music side of the industry as opposed to the acting side of the industry.
Speaker 7: I mean, there are different in different ways, but like I said, like I feel like, yeah, I mean, the music industry at that time was definitely you know, I had a lot of highs, had a lot of lows, right, And I think for me, I guess it was just that moment of also and that's where I look back and give myself a hug because I always stayed grounded. I was, like I am. I think being an actress or a singer, actor or anything, it's not letting people dictate what you are or any failure or this audition or that or this you know, music or this performance which I've had, but dictating who you are or your self worth. And I think for me, like I don't know what it was inside of me, but I would dig to that and say I was there, I wrote this, this is about me, this is my life, and you know you would find that strength within yourself. And I mean, I think they're both tough though, right, but Kevin Kevin was so nice. I mean, that's like a great family. I had Beverly Mitchell, and I was there like writing songs like Rachel Blanchard. She'd run my lines with me every day and I was there writing songs and they would come to my trailer and listen to like the new song I wrote. And at the same time, I was also filming my reality show, The Ashley Show, So it was like a lot of war is going.
Speaker 2: On, so so many things to keep track of, which, like you said, giving yourself a big hug for the fact that you have always remained authentic for as long as I've known you, no matter what's been going on, You've always just seemed like Ashley, You've always just maintained who you were at your core, even while writing the waves of highs and lows that no matter what industry you're in, life just throws at you.
Speaker 7: Right, And I mean I think like it's God hopefully our most important lesson we can give to our children because now it's like social media and everything expectations and like, definitely you know it's everywhere.
Speaker 3: Now, Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 7: But what I was going to say though, the other thing about acting was the day that I finished Seventh Heaven. Because you have to have connnuity with your hair and whatnot, I went to CVS and I bought a hair dye box with brown hair.
Speaker 4: And taking the Power Back, Taking the Power Back.
Speaker 7: My video for Pieces of Me, my single, and I call everyone, I'm like, I just want you to know I have brown hair and it's from a box at CBS.
Speaker 3: Did you like the way it turned out? Did you like the brown?
Speaker 7: I mean I did, and then I kept going and it was darn. I mean, I don't know. I mean, it was all like doing life in those young ages you're in. You're like almost at that time, like your college years. So it's like, yeah, apartment, You're experimenting your color and your hair, every color. You know, you're doing everything and it's all everyone.
Speaker 2: So Autobiography, your debut album, came out in two thousand and four. As you mentioned, it turned twenty last year. It was five times platinum, hit number one on the Billboard Top two hundred, and it is filled with teen angst.
Speaker 3: Now title in mind?
Speaker 2: Was the album a proper representation of who you were?
Speaker 7: And it's so funny because I go hibiography. Well, now you know, you're like, oh, it was like autobiography now exactly, But it was at that time because for me writing, it was like every day I'd go in with like my fresh breakup, my fresh boyfriend, like this is me, love me for me, and you know, with all those you know, it was literally like the diary of my life and having like Kara Diaguardian, John Shanks with me. It was like they were my therapist and we were in this room of like this writing session every day, which was yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well you were and are very different than your sister Jessica. I saw a recent interview you guys did and for New York magazine, and she talked about how you are the cool one, she was the rule follower and you really forged your own path. What was it like for the two of you having each other by your side through the wild ride that was the two thousands.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think it's like been the biggest blessing. And that interview was so much fun because I was interviewing her, so I just like on her, I'm like okay, like trying to study her new album, and I was like I was like okay, man, And I felt so like professional about it.
Speaker 3: You're a serious journalist.
Speaker 7: I'm going to interview you.
Speaker 3: So cute.
Speaker 7: But I think just having each other where it's this unspoken sisterhood. You know, it's just us. We don't have a brother or sisters, just us. And I think it's this unspoken understanding of everything everywhere we've been and throughout life, you know. And I think just and we had My.
Speaker 3: Mom was like our third yeah, the third sister.
Speaker 4: My mom.
Speaker 7: Everyone like, we go to the same nail salon. Everyone's like, is it Tina or Ashley?
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: Do people do people tell your mom you guys sound alike my mom and I know, yeah, like, oh yeah, my mom and I too. No matter which one of us is calling, people never know which one of us.
Speaker 7: It's so funny. No, but having Jessica has just like been like a lifeline. Honestly, Yeah, so great.
Speaker 2: The Ashley Simpson Show was another example of an undertaking totally ahead of its time. It was a reality show launching pad chronicling you making music. Was the show an overall positive experience for you? I mean you've gone on to do it again with your husband Evan. But did you ever regret putting your teenage personal life on TV?
Speaker 7: Not? I mean sometimes because now Jaggers found it my daughter, Oh so.
Speaker 3: Just now there's some regret.
Speaker 7: Okay though, because the like that my best friends on the show, Stephanie and Lauren, they're on the show with me and they're like the godmothers of both my children. And there's many silly moments. I mean, the only thing that kills me is like my voice. I'm like I like this, ye, I'm like, oh my god, what was this talking? I think, like naturally hearing the sound of your voice. But then that one really kills me. But I think for me though, it was so important because it was such a window to my life and what was changing. And I feel like it was like there have been like my Sister's show, the Newlyweds and the Osbourne's and this was like kind of the first of that kind of like making like doing like an album, but not like making a band somebody putting right following the process. And also because I'd been there during Newlyweds a lot of the times, I'm like, get out on my face. I definitely always had like a little I'm probably like much nicer now than I like. I just felt like I needed to be like, yeah, right right, you needed.
Speaker 2: To protect you felt like everyone there there's always the possibility somebody's going to try to cross the line, and you were always going to be very quick to be like I'm not going to allow you to cross the line exactly.
Speaker 7: But then I would always remind myself, it's okay, be vulnerable. This is you opening up and so I'm I do love that. And then Evan and I did a show. I don't I don't even know what year that was, but then I was like, oh, yeah that's not for me.
Speaker 3: Now, Okay, so not anymore.
Speaker 7: I'm like nothing.
Speaker 6: You know, so you're talking, you talk about your process and then how it was, you know, when you're doing that show. It's kind of the whole process you're going through. But a huge question.
Speaker 4: How does one write a song?
Speaker 7: Hah? You know. I started writing when I was young, and for me, like, I think it's just like finding the team, the theme, and like I would be in my car driving every day, like what just happened to me? What? You know? I'm like, God, I mean I was dealing with like first boyfriends and you know, oh, a lot of the times I like to start with the concept okay, yeah, concept and like what is that concept? And especially during that time, because so many things were new, and like having first boyfriends and first heartbreaks and you know, god, I had a boyfriend that was like you look fat. You need to get on the treadmill. I'm like, you get ready for what I'm about to say. I think that there was just so many you know, feelings and like for me, it was like every day, like what you know what I was going through. Yeah, So I think you start with the concept, then you get a guitar, and then you just melodies or you know, and and it really depends like every day. I mean in those sessions it was different. It was like meet John and Kara Dio Gordy and we were like an incredible team. So it was like we became family. So it just kind of became like this every day. But I think like a writing camp is great as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, And with a writing camp is that you and a bunch of other writers together pitching ideas like a writer's room.
Speaker 7: Like you can like go into a writer's room like writing.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, Yeah, Okay, I saw I saw actual camp, Like it's you go to it.
Speaker 4: It's like camp Rock, you do obstacle.
Speaker 7: There's like I'm just saying for people, I haven't actually done a writing camp, but like I have wrote with different writers. Oh, like we are connected, we are feeling each other. This music is going to be in the right place.
Speaker 4: It always. It's just the whole process fascinates me.
Speaker 6: Because I saw a documentary Forget What It was called, but they were talking about they're interviewing a bunch of musicians who said, it's you don't write a song like it's given to you by some other universe, Like it just pops in and it just you don't know where it comes from where, And it's just if as someone who has no musical talent, it's so fascinating to see.
Speaker 7: I mean definitely when I was younger, younger would annoy my parents so much, like I had like my guitar player, this other guitar player, and we would be like singing like I don't need you to be my backseat driver, really loud, like love it block at night, Which is funny because now and Wronx my son, he's great at writing and great at playing, but him and his friend definitely play a loud at night. Oh like the circle of everything.
Speaker 3: So are your kids in the industry?
Speaker 7: If?
Speaker 3: If not? If they wanted to be, would you allow them to be.
Speaker 7: They are not in the industry. I would allow them to be at their own pace. Okay, I would never push it. I would just say I think the most important thing and this age is developing your craft and deciding what you want with it. Okay, I would never you know, be like, let's ployees go beyond on the show.
Speaker 8: I really want to be in a stage, mom.
Speaker 7: You know what. I really want to sit on set and have you rolled your eyes at me?
Speaker 2: Our other co host who would normally be here, but his internet is not working today.
Speaker 3: A writer.
Speaker 2: His son has started doing some voiceover work and he's been having to drive him around auditions and he's like, how did this happen? I used to be the kid in the back seat not that long ago, and now I'm driving around LA and trafficked for my son.
Speaker 3: It's crazy how it happens.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you know, I think it's like, I mean, i don't know what your thoughts are, but I'm definitely open. I definitely see my daughter. I mean, she takes acting classes, she likes I think when she's ready, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as long as she's not knocking down your door begging to do it now, you're not trying to rush it along like you said, let them lead the.
Speaker 7: Pace, get on the stage. I'm I'm not saying she's not knocking on the door.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, she's yeah, ucations patients, deer patients, she just want to or either. Will only has a step daughter who is in her mid thirties, so it's a little she's I don't think she's gonna.
Speaker 4: Change for hers now. She's pretty set in her ways at this point.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's a wonderful interior designer. That was an interior design, but I always need it now.
Speaker 6: So you mentioned that reality isn't for you anymore, But would you ever consider getting back in front of the camera in an acting job.
Speaker 7: Yes, definitely, and I'd love to do like more theater I did Chicago. I did it on the West End and Broadway and Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 3: Are you roxy Heart?
Speaker 7: It was Roxy? Yeah. I played it so many different times in my life, which was so fun, Like the first time I played it in London, I was like twenty two, and then I did it on Broadway when I was twenty five, after I had had Bronx, and then when I did it at the Hollywood Bowl, which was so cool because I just started dating Evan. His mom had a show there the week before and she first met his mom, Diana or else that's the first time I met her.
Speaker 3: Was that's so cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you met her at the Hollywood Bowl the week before you then played the Hollywood that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 7: I'm playing like, when I'm doing Vegas, it'll be our eleventh year anniversary in the thirties, when I have a show that's amazing. On our tenth we got that romantic women because you.
Speaker 3: Got to do something nice for ten.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about Bittersweet World too, because over the years it has finally gotten the credit that it deserved. But before I get there, I wanted to talk to you a little bit about the Internet, because I have always seen the SNL performance as a real mask off moment for the toxicity that would later become online bullying.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And we've all said, we've all heard that, like, oh, we've grown a bit.
Speaker 3: As a society.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to ask you, as a person who has felt the unwarranted wrath of its stupidity, do you think we have grown it all as a society when it comes to understanding that celebrities are human beings who have flaws and make mistakes and also are real people.
Speaker 7: I think it's a different era, you know. I don't think if it was that moment and this era, would it be that, you know, I think during that time, I mean, the bullying was insane, insane, And that's what I was saying too earlier too about being a human and being a human that oh, like oh she did lose her voice. Oh that doesn't mean she didn't write these songs and this is like her and like we can't go back and see her on tour, which I feel like I was able to do. But then my whole life I did like tell people like and I was like, what am I trying to tell people? Like yeah, oh but night before him every night, like my fans know, and I had to know that in my heart, like oh, I'm selling out the Greek like you know, like I am doing that, and like, yes, I've had a up and downs, just like every other human. But I do think it's evolved. But also it hasn't, you know, in some ways. But it's evolved, Okay, but I think different now for us, we had the magazines and this now everything's kind of more fleeting. Yeah, now it's more like here it is to be on your shoulders forever. Right now everything is like a little bit more fleeting and fast.
Speaker 4: We just have less attention spans.
Speaker 7: Now, so that's yeah, everyone's on the phone too much.
Speaker 6: Exactly, You've got TikTok and you've got everything anything over ninety seconds, and an entire generation isn't going to follow.
Speaker 4: It isn't going to watch. So yeah, crazy.
Speaker 3: Well, Bittersweet World?
Speaker 2: Was it album you executive produced yourself and it really felt like it was your vision?
Speaker 1: Did it?
Speaker 3: Was it? How was that album different for you?
Speaker 7: Oh? That album was like I was just ready to move into something different on that album, And when I listened to it, I mean, it's actually fun because during the Vegas show, I'm playing three of the songs from it. Oh boys, a little miss obsessive and out of my head. But looking back at it, it's so funny because I do wish I would have evolved that album more because some of the songs, I'm like, I love like where I was going, but I would have like But it's funny because this is before, this is two thousand and seven, this is before there's like a lot of big artists out that ended up doing that. So it was like kind of like the beginning again.
Speaker 3: You were ahead of your time. You have been ahead of your time.
Speaker 7: I feel like there was some songs like ooh when I heard it, I'm like, good, I wish I'm goud have like wrapped up or like you know, i'd go. But I'm so proud of the album because I was taking such chances of something. Yeah, and there are songs that like, I love love love on that album, and then songs that I'm like, oh, I would like to read that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, can't.
Speaker 6: You I mean, as an artist ever done that if it's if it's yours, and you're like, you know what I wish I did with this song?
Speaker 4: Can't you just take it? And then just yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm still like proud of it, but like you know, sonically or things like that, You're like, I mean I think lyrically was really cool, So I mean just some of it You're like, well was also two thousand and seven, so yeah, said it was before Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you could definitely make the case that had you, like you said, you you look back and you think, which I would.
Speaker 7: Have just out of my head and boys like which I've been playing right now, I'm like, these are like, oh that was good.
Speaker 2: Yes, And you enlisted names like Timbaland, Chad Hugo, Kenna, Jay Rock some of the best in the biz, and you made an album that I truly believe was overlooked and helped usher in the nineteen eighties electro pop sound that basically rules pop music.
Speaker 7: Now that's what I was yeah inspired by, Yes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that album was also a catalyst for a twenty eighteen article in the New York Times where the headline was just was Ashley Simpson underappreciated? And then this year we saw Autobiography, your debut picked as number two hundred and thirty seven on Rolling Stone's Top two hundred and fifty Albums of the twenty first Century.
Speaker 3: Damn that does any of that feel?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Does that feel redeeming for you? Do you hear that and think, yes, I does that? That feels good? That that feels nice? That does feel good good good as it should.
Speaker 7: Yes, that definitely feels good. And yeah, I feel like in those moments and even in that record, it was just kind of going with the things like I was inspired by, and like I told you, I was definitely so inspired by the eighties, even from like such a young age. Yeah, getting to play with that and those like sounds, and I mean even with autobiography, So yeah, just this is.
Speaker 2: All a big pad on our show Get Yeah, it's a big group out.
Speaker 6: So you're talking because now I'm I'm not hugely musically fluent, but I love eighties music. So it leads me to ask, then, what did you listen to growing up? What were your favorite bands when you were a.
Speaker 7: Little Okay, So I loved like the Pretenders, I mean me like, I love Pretenders, Blondie, w Harry Jones, Jets, you.
Speaker 3: Know, good so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thought they were.
Speaker 7: Like women of strength, but yeah, they were just so cool in my rocket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Harry was hanging out with the Ramones for God's sakes, I mean it was awesome.
Speaker 3: What are you most looking forward to with your Vegas shows?
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm most looking forward to just playing this set, playing for the fans. The room is so beautiful and sexy, and I'm excited to bring it this like fun rock edge and just like myself, and I'm excited to play the songs. And you know, I think just getting there and seeing what the first day feels like. I'm so happy I have seven shows and I feel like every show would be different, and I'm looking forward.
Speaker 3: To that so great.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you have been asked in every interview, but I know all of our listeners want to know.
Speaker 3: Do you ever think new music could be in your future?
Speaker 7: Definitely? You know, I've been writing here and there, and I think right now, like the moment is it's like, let's enjoy this, you know, the like path now the future and see what that opens up, you know for me in my heart, you know, and once you know, once I'm there, then I'll really know. I love that, you know, I still like whatever I do. I still want to take my business school.
Speaker 3: That's great. And those are the two places we got to go.
Speaker 4: You know, Pretzel, I'm all day now.
Speaker 3: Actually it's not far well you can go.
Speaker 4: To it's a big commitment.
Speaker 2: Actually, if you could go back, as you're prepping for these anniversary shows and you could tell young Ashley one thing, what would you tell young Ashley twenty years ago?
Speaker 7: I would just look at myself and be like, you are doing.
Speaker 3: Good, Yes, you're doing great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so much. You know, so you've done having that dancer background and everything, we just you know, beat ourselves down and just to look at yourself and say, wow, like you are doing so good, look at.
Speaker 3: Your Yeah, that makes me so happy.
Speaker 2: I'm so grateful you spent your time with us this morning. I'm so excited for your Vegas residency.
Speaker 4: I love you so much.
Speaker 2: It was so great to see you. I want to come see your show. I also want to see you again at the mall. We also our neighbors. We need to get our kids together and just hang out. I'd love to get to know your husband better as well. So yeah, let's please.
Speaker 7: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. Ashley, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thank you, fine, bye bye.
Speaker 3: Isn't she great?
Speaker 4: She's amazing.
Speaker 6: She's amazing, And it's one of those things where I don't know her music all that well. So I keep hearing you and Jensen talking about kind of the underrated songwriting and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I just I gotta go listen. I gotta at some.
Speaker 6: Point realize apparently there's music after nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Will, just like when you were like, I don't think I'm going to know very many of the Backstreet Boy songs, and then when you're sitting there and you're at the Sphere show and you're listening, you're like, you know what, I know significantly more of these than I thought, And on top of that, I like significantly more than I thought I would like. I actually have a feeling you would very much enjoy Ashley Simpson music.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 2: I know your musical taste enough. I think there's quite a bit that you would really like.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's anything like Alanis Morrist, but Jagie Little Pill's one of my favorite albums of all time.
Speaker 4: I used to listen to that just on repeat. So yeah, no, it's She's super c You gotta.
Speaker 3: Listen to Bittersweet World. You'd like it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, check out check Not doing anything until I get a Wetzel's pretzel now, Unfortunately, that's my day, Ashley.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh we're sorry everyone that writer was in here today. Internet can be fickle unless you live in our little tiny spot of the San Fernando Valley. So yeah, I guess uh, who knows what happened, but we'll catch up with him later. And anyway, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we've got merch.
Speaker 4: We miss you writer Merch.
Speaker 2: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com, We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Writer Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com