Speaker 1: My name is Trim and this is Saigon, the story of my family and of the country that shaped us.
Speaker 2: The United States will not stand by and allow any.
Speaker 3: Power, however great take over another time.
Speaker 4: Or allow.
Speaker 2: You have brought only you, and beware.
Speaker 5: I need to break it out.
Speaker 6: Virginia band a bad, very babler sounds pronounce a very babler.
Speaker 5: That can be no peace without justice, and that can be no justice without peace.
Speaker 7: Chapter four.
Speaker 1: Joseph Sherman had left his liaison role with the Army in nineteen forty six and returned to his life in America. But in nineteen fifty four, the Washington Post needed someone to cover the deteriorating situation in Vietnam, and Joseph jumped at the chance.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, eh is that it captain it tease misr Shaman straight ahead. That's that jen bien fou guys in the North Vietnam.
Speaker 4: Eh, I didn't know it was so big.
Speaker 8: Eighty percent of all French forces in Vietnam and there now we spent a year flying everything up here groups artillery thanks impressive generous call it the launching pad from which they finally crushed the Vietnam Communists.
Speaker 9: The rest of us, got it, But Champ.
Speaker 4: Everything's on the floor of the valley.
Speaker 8: I got mountains are round, so I see.
Speaker 10: Not an easy landing.
Speaker 2: You should go back and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excuse me more.
Speaker 2: Sureman, you lanky yank.
Speaker 1: As his feet hit the turnout, Joseph was met by his oldest French friend.
Speaker 2: You finally made it.
Speaker 4: It's been way too long.
Speaker 2: Why do we only see each other every eight or nine years?
Speaker 4: God knows?
Speaker 2: What do you know, major colonel?
Speaker 4: Colonel Paul Debreeux, your father would be so.
Speaker 2: Proud of you, and you a famous American war reporter. I better watch what I said.
Speaker 10: Well, they got a smile for me?
Speaker 2: Is that allowed bringing a camera here?
Speaker 10: I have permission. I need photos for the article.
Speaker 4: Come over here. Yeah, in front of the plane there with the mountains in the background. But that's good. Comesa what thanks Paul.
Speaker 1: The mountains were steep and forbidding, and as far as the French thought, they were impenetrable. But even as Joseph was framing the mountains in the back of his shot, a pair of binoculars were trained on him.
Speaker 3: See down there on the runway, an American and a French colonel.
Speaker 7: I knewed them both in another life.
Speaker 6: Well, we can live in the past. Come back came. We have too much to do in the present. How can we get all our delivery from the bottom up to here?
Speaker 2: Manpower and patience? General Zapp.
Speaker 1: General Zapp was the military commander in charge of the Vietnam forces.
Speaker 6: It cannon weighs more than two thousand kilos. It doesn't matter how many men we k use, they will still have trouble getting them up here.
Speaker 2: We don't have trouble. We are communists. General's App.
Speaker 9: Let's go and move those guns for uncle who for Vietnam.
Speaker 6: Concurt you t'dbye high zone, plue boar simplidoko pou lane.
Speaker 1: Over the coming weeks, Kim's comrades would break down each enormous howitzer cannon into eight parts and quietly haul everything at a few inches an hour of near vertical slopes covered in thick jungle foliage to the top of the mountains. It was an immense undertaking, and one the French never believed it happened.
Speaker 2: Normally, Joseph, Normally, I agree, setting up a base on a valley floor is just asking for trouble.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it. You need the high ground, Heracles, Alexander the Great, your man Napoleon.
Speaker 2: They all knew that, I know, but in this case, no one can get to those high positions, not with any heavy artillery anyway.
Speaker 4: Set a possible, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: Your wonderful president has promised us four million dollars worth of shells, rockets, tanks, and in a few more weeks we'll have all that here and then we'll launch one big assault and that will be it. Benuill communist.
Speaker 4: I admire your confidence.
Speaker 2: It's all been thought out, Joseph, very carefully planned. Trust me, ste now wife.
Speaker 4: Good? Thank you?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Our son Gary's fifteen now and enjoying high school. Nothing much to report on the on the home front there, and how's land?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know, to be honest, It's been years since we spent more than a few days together. She moved back with her parents. I'm always off fighting. When we married, she was never the same. Oh, but before that she was so much fun, always laughing. But I can't say we're close. We never have been. Really. It feels sad, but it's just the truth. Will you try and see her this trip?
Speaker 4: You know. I hadn't given it much thought, but I could maybe it might be nice. You should I probably will then if I have time. Yeah, I'll see how much time I have.
Speaker 2: Oh, God, take the effort. She always liked seeing you, did she?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well then I will, Paul, there's something I want to No, no, sorry, you go no, no please? What were you saying?
Speaker 2: I was just wondering how long you were going to be here for, that's all.
Speaker 4: Oh, just a few hours. I have to go back on the plane I came in on. That's part of the deal. Yeah, I've got interviews in psychon that's to a ten. So it'll be a couple of weeks, and then I promise I'll come back to witness famous French victory.
Speaker 2: You better.
Speaker 4: Oh they'll probably make you a general after that.
Speaker 2: If only you were ending out the promotions.
Speaker 4: If only yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, Joseph had seen Land briefly before flying up to DNB and FOU and was keen to see her again as soon as he was back in Saigon.
Speaker 4: Joseph, Hello, Land, I thought i'd find you here. Can I walk you home?
Speaker 3: Sure? Have you been up north?
Speaker 4: Yes? Briefly? And I saw Paul.
Speaker 3: Did you tell him about us.
Speaker 4: Well, I wanted to. I tried to, but didn't. Well, he's you know, he's up there fighting for his country. It hardly seemed like a very good time.
Speaker 3: When would be a good time.
Speaker 4: I know, I know.
Speaker 10: After they win perhaps if they win, sure they'll win.
Speaker 3: Well maybe maybe.
Speaker 4: Man, they're fighting an enemy that believes in their costs. I spend time with their leader, Ho Chi Minh, I remember, yeah, And he's smart, he inspires people, and he has a clear goal. The Vietnam are fighting for their country. They have to fight. It's life and death to them. The French are only there because they've been sent given a choice. You know, I think they'd rather go to dinner.
Speaker 3: Will you go back?
Speaker 4: Yes, as soon as I can. I have to. I'm the war correspondent for the Washington Post. I'd like to spend some more time with Paul.
Speaker 3: If you see him again, Joseph, you must tell him about us. My marriage to Paul was never very real. There was never any love. But he deserves the truth.
Speaker 4: I know he does. Yes, I know, I do know. How is two yet?
Speaker 3: Good? Adjusting well to living with my parents. They dote on her, the only grandchild. She has a smile. Joseph, h really, she'll be home from school soon. You should come in and see her.
Speaker 4: Oh, but what about your parents?
Speaker 3: They won't be home? Ah do yet? Will be thrilled. I'll make us some tea. It'll be lovely, I insist.
Speaker 4: Well, okay.
Speaker 1: When they arrived at the Hugh Family Villa, Land showed Joseph into the old, familiar garden room and made tea for them both.
Speaker 3: Ah, thank you, she's back.
Speaker 4: Mamma, where are you in here?
Speaker 1: Ready?
Speaker 3: Prepare yourself.
Speaker 11: You can't stay long? But is there anything to eat? I'm oh?
Speaker 6: Hello too?
Speaker 3: Yet? May I please introduce to your father, mister Sherman, and Joseph your daughter too?
Speaker 2: Yet?
Speaker 3: Do you remember him too?
Speaker 7: Yet?
Speaker 11: Alma said you were back.
Speaker 4: And here I am. It is wonderful to see you too. Yet you're looking great?
Speaker 11: Are you really my father?
Speaker 4: Yes? I am.
Speaker 11: You drove us back from the country, right. Yes, Alma says you loved her.
Speaker 4: I did, I do, very much.
Speaker 11: So why didn't you stay around?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 4: I was married, she was married. I had a life in America. It was complicated.
Speaker 11: I guess it must have been. She says, you've got a son.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do. Gary, he's fifteen.
Speaker 11: My half brother.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 11: I'd really like to see him one day. Maybe I should come to America sometime.
Speaker 4: Oh, I would love that. I'd love you both to come to America.
Speaker 11: But your wife wouldn't. Well, Hi, honey, have I told you about this Vietnamese daughter I've got. That'd be a tough conversation.
Speaker 10: Yet, No, No, it's okay, fair point.
Speaker 11: Anyway. I'm sorry, mamma. But they've called a rehearsal, so I better get going. I just came in for a snack.
Speaker 3: Oh, rehearsal well too, Yet has a concert tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh what do you play?
Speaker 11: It's traditional Vietnamese focal use, but I play guitar.
Speaker 1: Huh it sort of works.
Speaker 11: Yeah, one day, mister Sherman, I really think we should sit and talk.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 11: Let's do it then, cool, see you later, Alligator.
Speaker 4: Well, she speaks her mind and follows her heart.
Speaker 3: We've created a force of nature, Joseph.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I'm proud of that.
Speaker 3: It's such a pity you haven't been able to watch or grow up.
Speaker 10: Well, it's not too late.
Speaker 4: I mean, I understand why you couldn't come back to America before but why not now bring to Yet. I'll divorce Maryland, you divorce Paul. Who we can all be.
Speaker 3: Together in America.
Speaker 4: It's the life we've always wanted, isn't it? You and me?
Speaker 3: Not in America?
Speaker 4: Then please?
Speaker 3: At least you don't belong there, Joseph, but you do. This is my country. Vietnam is my country, and it's too Yette's country. This is not just a place.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, at least come and see what America's like before deciding. Yeah, please, I can arrange that.
Speaker 3: Why don't you come in here to Yet concert first? I can arrange that.
Speaker 4: Of course I'd love to.
Speaker 1: A week later, Joseph returned to d NBN food.
Speaker 2: Hope you're feeling luck.
Speaker 4: Where are they firing from right up of the mountain?
Speaker 2: Who knows how they did it? But until we cannot reach.
Speaker 4: Them, can we even land? Say problem in the qua?
Speaker 9: I will land and then pick up the wounded that leave.
Speaker 2: That long on the ground.
Speaker 12: You understand, Ali, Who are you?
Speaker 4: Joseph Sherman, Washington Post. I'm looking for Colonel Devro, the guy of the Mercy.
Speaker 2: He's a Joseph, your American bustard. Where the hell have you been sunning yourself in Sidegon.
Speaker 4: Pretty much sightseeing, you know, going to concerts.
Speaker 2: And what did you pack? Some rocket launchers or a phantom jit? Did you bring us a phantom jit? That would be handy.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Paul, I've got a thirty five mil camera with four lens, twenty rolls of film and a pencil.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll throw your camera at them and see if it makes a difference. Good to see you, man, I mean you too, my friend. Although you shouldn't be here, not at the moment.
Speaker 4: Why what's happening?
Speaker 2: Hey? No, please don't pull you. They're all around us, Joseph with equipment. We didn't think they had dozens of how it says that we weren't.
Speaker 4: Expecting that how from China must be.
Speaker 2: But then how they dragged them up nearly vertical cliffs and through the jungle that should not be possible.
Speaker 4: Kim always could beat the art, Kim trans Van, Kim Land's brother, the tennis player well long ago, yes, But in Saigon, what we're hearing is it's Kim and General Zapp making all the big military decisions.
Speaker 2: Well earned respect. A drink a me. We might be running out of bullets, but there's still plenty of cognac.
Speaker 10: The French army always did fight and style.
Speaker 2: Don't lower our standards, can we? And two brandy balloons for justice occasion so civilized.
Speaker 4: There's so much to love about you Frenchmen, even in a crisis.
Speaker 2: I wish more Vietnamese shared that feeling. We tried to help them. Elumisarigadevo positionnell to us, Joseph and whatever lies ahead, Sante, How is the story going? It could be quite a school.
Speaker 4: Oh that's what the Post hopes, not least because there's no other journalist up here.
Speaker 2: Then what you right will become the truth.
Speaker 4: I'm writing what I see, Paul with photos forever Paul, before I go, I should, well not should? I mean, it's not something I should do. It's something I have to do, or something I have to say, rather just to you between us, something you should know.
Speaker 2: Get to the point, Joseph.
Speaker 4: Well, on my second trip, when Kim won the tennis game, you remember that?
Speaker 2: Who doesn't?
Speaker 4: And I escorted Land home?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Well? Yes.
Speaker 10: On the following night, the same night your father.
Speaker 4: Was murdered, and before she knew she was marrying you, we hired a riverboat and the perfume in the air was beautiful. Land was beautiful. I was so much in love with her, and things just happened. Yes, And she had a daughter before your wedding, who was brought up by some former housekeepers for the Tran family. But then the famine after the war created such a mess and everything went to hell, and well, you know, no one knew who was where anymore, and we went looking for her and found a traumatized fairal kid.
Speaker 2: And too yet you knew, well, I wondered, I didn't know. All I knew was Land rescued at this orphan and she ended up living with her parents. And then when I finally met her, Well, you've seen her. You'd have to be mad not to spot the resemblance, don't you think. Yes, so you and Lanne h m hmm. You still love her, don't you, Joseph. I always wondered if there was something between you and Lane, as far back as that tennis match, the way you watched each other, the way she loved my suggestion that you should escort her home give me that class. By the way, no more cognac for you. That's your punishment here. I think I could see it before you could. She never looked at the same way. I thought I could charm her winner over in time, but I never did. Excuse me, Marman, mister Sherman, I wounded on board. Are you staying or are you going?
Speaker 4: Ice?
Speaker 2: Going? No? Come on, get out?
Speaker 4: Are you sure?
Speaker 6: Go?
Speaker 2: Adi? Adi?
Speaker 10: Come with me, Pop.
Speaker 4: I can't staying Here's madness.
Speaker 2: I cannot leave my men. Besides, we might find a way of turning the tide.
Speaker 6: What was that.
Speaker 2: Our artillery shells?
Speaker 4: You've lost our demmunitions.
Speaker 2: We'll still have machine guns.
Speaker 4: Against how it serves it's useless.
Speaker 2: To take photos. Joseph, the world should hear about this.
Speaker 4: Go now, I mean you're coming, all right, all right, I'm coming coming.
Speaker 2: You have a whole life ahead.
Speaker 9: Go leave it very well, my friend, Oh Bob, we must help our luck. Hold mo jusip boir?
Speaker 4: Can I soup from up here if you wish?
Speaker 9: It may be the last picture you ever take.
Speaker 8: Me sure, I'm Sherry, I'm.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: As we soared into the air and climbed the safety, I could see the extent of the carnage below. Whoever decided to choose that spot for a major military garrison had been an idiot. There was no way out, and the enemy had the advantage of every high point. Its defeat was only a matter of time.
Speaker 1: On May seventh, nineteen fifty four, the siege of Dnbnfu ended and the French army in Vietnam was obliterated. Paul Deveux died on the final day of the siege. It was the end of seventy years of French colonial rule in Indo China and the beginning of total madness.
Speaker 5: Saigon is a production of Thoroughbred Studios, gold Hog Productions and iHeart Podcasts, starring Kelly Marie Trnn and Robed Benedict. Based on the best selling novel Cygone by Anthony Gray. It is created for audio by Greg Hadrick and Jeremy Fox, written by Greg Hadrick and directed by John Scott Dryden. Original music is by Sasha Putnam, with additional performances by nor Mgnir and Letivic Chier. Editing and sound design is by Elouise Whitmore. The series producer is Emma Hearn. The producer in Vietnam is Fatmung Nien. The executive producers are Jeremy Fox, Greg Hadrick, John Scott Dryden, Howard stringer and Jason English