Speaker 1: I am Yamla, your host for this journey. I was a hopeless love aholic but just could not get my love to work. Then, after a series of heartbreaks and deep heartache, I finally got clear about what love is and what it is not. I want to share some of what I've learned about love a holism. Welcome to the r Spot, a production of shandaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. I used to think that one of the most precious, sacred, and challenging relationships was the relationship between a mother and a daughter, because so very often the mother sees and the daughter things that she doesn't like about herself, and the daughter sees in the mother things that she never wants to be, and she ends up being that way. I mean, I could tell you stories about the beauty, the power, the value, the hardships, the challenges, the difficulties of the relationship between a mother and a daughter. Woo, but baby, let me tell you something. In my wisdom years, I have discovered that one of the most precious, fragile, and difficult relationships on the planet is the relationship between a mother and a son. If you want a first class ticket to heartbreak, and crazy. Take a look at the relationship between the mother and the son. Because a man is who his mother makes him. The king is the king not because he sits in the throne, but because his mother prepared him, fed him the food, called in the right people, let him go, pulled him in, did all of the things that prepares him to sit in the throne as the king. The mother becomes the template that a man uses in his relationships with women. And if that template is solid and clear, if it's laid with loving care and concern, that man is going to have good relationships with women and himself. But when there are cracks and tears and fragments in the template that a mother uses to grow her son up, baby is gonna be rough. And the challenge is that a mother's intentions, her best intentions, and her way of being is not translated with accuracy into the child's experience. The mother will set up parameters and dynamics and situations that she thinks will give the child, the son what he needs, and he experiences it in a very different way. Why because she's feminine and he's masculine. It can be a hot mess. And then we think it gets easier. But what happens is when that boy child becomes a man, the mother has to learn how to parent an adult man. And if she's got any issues with men, baby Ah, this is the stuff that therapy is made of. So there are some things that a mother must consider when she's paring her son who is an adult. I mean there are issues and challenges with all parents who forget that this child has now grown up and become an adult. But when it comes to a mother parenting and adult son, there are just certain things that have to be taken into consideration. I am so grateful for my caller today because she's providing us with an opportunity to look at some of those things. Here's our call. Greetings beloved, welcome to the R spot. And what is your situation, your relationship situation that we can talk about, nibbylon and explore today.
Speaker 2: Good morning, is an honor to speak with you, ironic with you and I both share the same birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh well, how wonderful That means that we're crazy?
Speaker 2: Please I hope not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we are so don't even hope that a Virgo mother. A Virgo mother is a perfectionist, highly critical, judgmental, and I say that because I know these things to be true about myself. That's not our intention.
Speaker 2: Oh that I accept everything he just said. I completely accept that. So you are one hundred percent right. So I have a son twenty one years old, adopted. I was married at the time, adopted him right before he turned three. You know, he was aware of his birth mother, so he was no secret. We had pictures, YadA, YadA, YadA. His dad and I got separated and divorced in twenty twelve, and right after that occurred, his dad immediately moved out of state, so that was pretty traumatic for him. But I did make sure that they had a relationship where I even paid for my son's flights to see his father every summer. So again, I did all that I could do to keep him tied to his dad. Right now, we're in a very very gainful place, and I just don't know how to process it having just this one child. He's twenty one. I did get remarried about two and a half years ago. The gentleman and I dated for about six seven years. We did not move in together because I wanted to make sure that my son knew that he had my attention, but we did date and my son was a part of that. The guy would come over, we would do things together. My current husband has two older sons, a little bit older than my son, and we did do things as a group. He went to all my son's games, He took my son to practice, so he was a pretty active part of my son's life. Once he moved in, things did kind of go south. He moved in a year before we got married. We moved into a brand play so he did not move into my son's home. We moved into a brand new place and from there it went downwards where my son I think he just had trouble accepting this person in our homes. He did have the type of father that was very negative. Don't listen to this man. He's not your father. So I think that played into my son's mental capacity. And now we're at a place where he's almost I shouldn't say almost, he's abusive toward me. I've reached out my hand. He doesn't come over. I haven't seen him in a year. Holidays come and go, Mother's Day. I get the calls and the text of hey Mom, yeah, I'm gonna come and see you. Yeah, you know I'll come and see you. He completely goes ghost on me, and his texts to go from zero to one hundred real quick. And I'm just at the point now where it's like when his name pops up, I get tense, my stomach goes flip flop, and I just need to figure out how do I, for lack of a better term, I have to cut him off, just for my peace.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about your sadness.
Speaker 2: Mom. Oh, the sadness is immense because you know, in this world of social media, you see all of your friends have kids that are older and they're able to do things. You know, Holidays are wrenching for me because, like I said, I've got a great husband that has two older kids, both in grad school. They call their dad constantly. They make the time, they'll text him and say, hey, we want to come and see we haven't seen you. So it's as a mom having one child and holidays are so painful. But you have to keep it in because you don't want to seem like you're hating on those that have the blessing of a kid that wants to be around them.
Speaker 1: Well not. You have to keep it in. I have to keep it in own your pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to keep it in because I don't want to bring others down.
Speaker 1: Well, that's not your responsibility, but we'll talk about that later. Talk to me about the guilt.
Speaker 2: It's just the guilt of you. Always mothers are always told that you've got to be just. I always have felt that moms are supposed to always be there for their kids no matter what. So it's just a sense of guilt of how do I balance protecting myself from him, because, like I said, his tech and his words are very nasty, to the point of him calling me names every day. He called me the inward, Inward, don't talk to me that way, and it's it's just mind blowing that a young man would talk to his mom that way. And so the guilt I have is really wanting to not have anything to do with him at this time. But it's just I feel the guilt of as a mom, you're not supposed to do that. You're supposed to just be in there and fight for your kids.
Speaker 1: You know. There's an ancient African proverb that says a mother will never eat her child. She would starve to death before she raised her hand to harm or hurt or eat her child. And I don't mean eat as in you know, chewing and swallowing, but a child, if they're hungry enough, will eat the mother. Wow. And the way we see that play out sometimes is the child will put on the mother, take from the mother, ask of the mother, and it's almost as if you have to continue loving me, no matter how badly I behave. So the mother will never eat the child, but if pushed to hunger, the child will eat the mother. So that sounds like what we have going on here.
Speaker 2: I was like, here's a for instance. You know, we have this really bad back and forth, but as the mom, you keep I keep trying. So for instance, a couple of weeks ago, Mom, I need twenty dollars. So of course I am always trying to prove myself that I am a good mom, I am worthy. So I responded to his text and said, you know, okay, I'll send it. And he said, you know, I get paid tomorrow and i'll give it back. And I said, okay, you know, you need to keep your word, even though I know I knowelled that he won't, but in my mind I have that glimmer of hope I send him the money and then he goes dark on me. I don't hear from him nothing, and it just it eats you up because you knew what was going to happen, but in the back of your mind you keep it.
Speaker 1: Eats me up. It eats me up. It eats me up. Don't externalize it, take it in. It eats me up.
Speaker 2: It eats me up. Yes, that I knew that that was going to happen, and that I still did it. And then weeks later, when we're conversating on something else, he throws it back in my faith and you're sweating me for that little twenty dollars and I'm thinking you didn't have it, you came to me for it, and now you throw it back in my face that I'm sweating you to get my little twenty dollars. It's those type of mental games that are wearing on me. And that's why I reached out to you, because I need to figure out what to do with what I know.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a classic classic eraror that moms make okay, and then you're a virgo mom, so you make it to the tenth degree. Let me just point out a few things for you. He's twenty one. He's living on his own. He's acting like a man. Yeah, yes, well, one of the hallmarks of manhood is that a man keeps his word. But when he calls you acting like a child, MA, I need twenty dollars, you give it to him with the expectation that he won't give it back. And then when he doesn't give it back and he acts out like a child, you get upset because he's not behaving like a man. Here's another possibility. When he calls and asks you for twenty dollars, you simply say, boo boo, I don't know what his name is. You've ruined your credit with me. But see, because you're afraid to upset him, You're afraid to let him go. You're afraid that he'll get upset with you. You keep engaging him like a child and expecting him to respond like a man.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, you're right. It's just like you said, I keep holding on to this hope that I'm going to have this magical moment where all of a sudden he's going to be who I want him to be. And you're right, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: If he's a man. Does he call you and say, Mom, I'm getting laid tonight. Does he call you and say that no. Does he call you and say, Mom, buying a bottle of wine or I'm smoking some happy flowers. Does he call you and say that No, but he'll call you for twenty dollars. That's called he's eating you. He's gonna play. Listen, children know their parents triggers and weak spots. They know he knows how to play you, So he plays you like a fiddle. That's what's called the child will eat the parent. The child will eat the mother. See him as a man, Hold him as a man, Expect him as a man, because you're giving him the twenty dollars, not expecting him to give it back to you, and then you want to challenge him to give it back to you. Yes, the twenty dollars to fifty whatever it is. No, No, you're a man. You living on your own, cover your basics.
Speaker 2: No, I'm going to say, but you know what I think a lot of it is. And I can be completely honest with you, and I'm going to use the eyeword. I'm living in fear of him because he talks very aggressive, like, for instance, when we were talking about the money and that type of thing. His text to me was, I'm not to let you talk crazy to me. I will pull up at any time. Don't forget that.
Speaker 1: Say he's really really angry, I have a fear. No, no, don't fear him. Take that, well, let me not say that out loud in the public. He need to fear you. Something happened. Something happened. I don't know where you overcompensated or where you failed to create boundaries. My son is fifty four and he's still scared of me because he knows I will pull up on him at any moment and it won't be pretty.
Speaker 2: But can I accept he's never had that fear that I still have what my mom rests, you know, she's not living, But he never had that, And that was one.
Speaker 3: Of the things.
Speaker 1: You didn't create boundaries. You didn't create boundaries. You overcompensated. And it probably goes back to why you adopted him in the first place. Why did you adopt as a to having natural children?
Speaker 2: Right, it's the natural way. It didn't work, And I think in the back of my mind adoption was always something that I had wanted to do but did try the old fashioned way before adoption was tried.
Speaker 1: So as a woman, hear me. This is not a judgment or criticism. I want to help you get to the root and the core, and you are probably not going to like it. Are you ready? Okay, okay, we'll do it right after this break, welcome back to the r spot. Let's pick up where we left off. As a woman, there was some failure, inadequacy, something I don't know. You have to give it the word because you couldn't have your own children. Adoption wasn't your first choice, although you made that choice, but the underlying, the underbelly in there, it's like I gotta prove, I gotta prove. So maybe perhaps I'm willing to be wrong that unconscious thought of failure or unworthiness or inadequacy. You over indulged this child someplace. You over indulged him. Tell me what you hear me saying.
Speaker 2: That I potentially created the monster that I have right now?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yeah, A man is who is mother makes them. I don't care who he is.
Speaker 2: I was a strict mom, but not to the point of like how my parents were where I never could go to the dance of the party, but I always did compare to his friend's parents who had no boundaries and they could go wherever they wanted. And I was one of those old school moms that whose house are you going to? What time will you be home? So he did have boundaries and that was one of the things he hated because he was surrounded by young men that had zero boundaries.
Speaker 1: Okay, you call them boundaries. He calls them restriction and control. But that's not what he's angry with you about. Absolutely not. He's not angry with you about that. The things you have to look at because if his texts are coming to you like that, there's something that you did or did not do at some point. And maybe it's because, you know, again over compensation. You didn't want him to feel, you know, any less. Because he was adopted someplace, he was taught, trained, led to believe that he could talk to you like that. Maybe around sixteen seventeen you argued with him or allowed him to argue with you. Usually it happens in that frame because with thinking, I got to give him a chance to express himself. Yeah, but here's a line, cross this and I'm gonna pop you in your mouth.
Speaker 4: Right, But guess what happened though, So okay, what you just said, I have done and said, and you know, as a black mom, I'm going to own this.
Speaker 2: He has been popped. But guess what he called, I'll protect their circuces on me place. And I had to go through all that Rick and Moreau, you know, them coming over being interviewed. You know this was not This was when he was a little bit younger, like theay twelve thirteen.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hm and right around the time you and your husband divorced, right, and.
Speaker 2: We did do therapy. We did I have therapy for him. We tried joint the people. As he got older. When people tend to tell him what he doesn't want to hear, that's when he goes ghosts like he's still doing to this day. You cannot tell him anything that he does not agree with.
Speaker 1: Is he a leo?
Speaker 2: No, he is a lead bruh. His birthday is October lib Bra, October twelfth.
Speaker 1: Couple of things, mom, And this is going to be hard to hear. I want to acknowledge you because I don't hear you talking about him as your adopted son, but as your son. That's number one, which is great. I'm glad he knows who that he has a natural birth mother. And with all that you've done and all that you've given, and I know as a Virgo mother, all that you've done and all that you've given. Like I said, in many cases overcompensating, you are a usual suspect. One of the reasons he takes his anger out on you is because he knows you're gonna love him no matter what. So in some instances, I want you to hear this, It ain't personal. He just knows that you're gonna love him no matter what. Here's the hard part. You gotta be willing to let him go. You've got to be willing to let him go his anger. I don't care who the child is. There comes a moment when they're gonna look for the womb that they came from. So while he may not voice it, he may not acknowledge it, he may not think about it, he may not say it. He's really angry at his mother, but he takes it out on you because you're his mom. Does that make sense to.
Speaker 2: You, Yes? Yes.
Speaker 1: We also don't know what he marinated in. We don't know the condition of the womb that he lived in. This may be his mom's anger. It may be his dad's anger. It may be the environment that she was in. Some of this is etched into his soul, so it may not be his anger, but he gets to act it out and at twenty one, and that's a whole new breed of people. Them young ones, they are a hot mess anyway, they really are. It's universal. Ye, it's universally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They have a sense of entitlement, they have a disrespect for authority. They wanted everything their way. So some of that is just in the planetary placement of this new generation. What they're actually doing is they're rebelling against the hypocrisy of the older generations. But because they don't have a new template yet about how to be in, what to do, and how to do it, it comes out as disrespect and it comes out as rebellion and defiance. That's generational. Seventeen to about twenty five, twenty six, that's just generational. They are rebelling against the obsolete society of the older generations, and they are it's obsolete, and they are challenging our hypocrisy. So that's universal. He's got some of that going on, and then the anger he may have picked up in the womb, and the anger that he feels about what the hell is wrong with me? That my mother didn't want me? What's wrong with me? So here you come the virgo by nature, critical, judgmental, overbearing. And I'm not saying that to you personally. I'm talking about myself.
Speaker 2: I know, I understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's angry in general. And then here you come, like I said, the judge critical because we're perfectionists. We want everything, the corners of the sheets and the washcloths in the cabinet and the sweeping of the floor. I mean, I'm the kind of virgo mother. I used to fold my dirty clothes. That's how neurotic I was. Okay, no, don't put no unfolded clothes in the clothes hemp, fold them clothes up so that I can shake him out and put him in the washing machine. But how he hears that again, because we don't know the condition of the womb, we don't know the consciousness of the birth mother, he hears that as critical, judgmental and controlling. And then a couple of pops in the mouth, pops on the behind, taking away of privileges that his generation thinks they're entitled to. So you're just an ogre. I don't like you and I don't even know you, right, yeah, can you hear me? So some of some of this, mom, he's just gonna have to work out. He will work it out, and it probably won't happen until he's about twenty seven twenty eight, if my assessment and my observations are accurate. But what you have to do is you have to hold the line. First of all, as a man. He can't disrespect no woman by talking about he gonna pull up on it. No woman, but certainly not his mother. He done lost his rabbit behind mine? Something wrong with him?
Speaker 2: Call me the inWORD? I mean, I got a text last week where he called me the inward his mom.
Speaker 1: And what did you say in response? I don't what did you say?
Speaker 2: I can't ever remember, but I'm trying to look to see if I can find it.
Speaker 1: But I mean, well, please find it because I want to know what you said in response. We'll talk more about it when we come back. Welcome to the spot. Let's get back to the conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I did find it. His response to me was we were talking about a joint account that we have that I told him I wanted him to close because I cannot remove my name from it, so the account has to be closed. So there was a lot of vacu and forth, and his response to me was, you could have easily said, hey, I want to close that account, which is, by the way, that's what I told him. And he said, look what you Look what you said? You just a rude inward, I hate you, and then he said inward, that's not what you said. Are you slow? I took a pause. I took a moment, and I responded back, and I said, is everything okay? What's wrong? Calling me names is not going to help you.
Speaker 1: Criticism that's what he heard, criticism. Here's another possibility, again drawed the line. Stop thinking of him as a little boy. He's a grown man, and you have to stop parenting a child and start dealing with a man. Another classic problem for mothers. We don't know how to parent adults, so we hold our children to the parameters of them being children. He's a grown man. I would have here's another possibility. I'm going to end this communication now because I have not given you permission to talk to me in that way, and it's unacceptable. Done you don't accept that. I don't care who he is. He can't talk to you like that. First of all, he shouldn't be texting you. Pick up the phone and call your mother. I know we're in the twenty first century. He doesn't do well. That's how they get away with it. He doesn't have to take responsibility for his behavior because he's anonymous on the text, right.
Speaker 2: And then after all this, one day I did block him. And then of course he went to the other people in the village and they came at me. He went to he called his dad. Mom blocked me. Can you believe it? So of course his dad called me, and then he called My husband's mother is his grandmother. She's basically been calling him grandson since she met him, and he called her. So then she called me. So then I have the village attacking me saying he loves you.
Speaker 1: No, no, you tell them no, no, no, no, no, they don't have to attack you. You tell the village. Y'all need to get him straight, because he can't call me the inward. He can't threaten me. He's a grown man and I'm a woman. Let's teach him some respect. That's what you tell the village. They can't attack you. You have to draw the line. He's a grown man. Stop looking at him as a child. Who are told him to the same level of responsibility, accountability and integrity you would hold it. Could any man in the street roll up on you and call you the inward? What would you do if you were at the gas station and somebody rolled up on you and called you the inward and told you that they would roll up on you? What would you do?
Speaker 2: They would hear it for me, and I'd probably get somebody else involved.
Speaker 1: Law enforcements, my husband, somebody. You got a husband, Yeah, you got two stepsons. He needs to know that they are protecting and guarding you as a woman, because he's not coming at you as a mother. He's coming at you as any hoody on the street because he's angry. And that's fine, But as twenty one, it's his responsibility to handle his anger, and I would let him know how do I.
Speaker 2: Everything you're seeing has been scrolling around in my head. So at this point, going into the rest of this year and these holidays are about to come up, the Mother's Day with you know. I just have to kind of know that they're not going to be what I had hoped they would be. How do I pivot moving forward so that this is not for disruptive to my daily life of Oh my god, is he going to text today and it's going to blow up.
Speaker 1: First of all, go ahead and let your heart break that your son is not the man that you wanted him to be. Just let your heart break about that. But he's twenty one, he's got a long way to go. This usually happens around sixteen seventeen eighteen before they go off to college, and sometime that first year of college. This usually happens then. So he's got some arrested development, probably because of the anger and your overcompensation. Let your heart break, ma Oh, it's broke, but hold him higher, see him higher. He's just working out whatever he needs to work out right now to get himself to the place he needs to be. Once you let your heart break the sadness of it, and don't hide that from people. Your pain needs a witness because everybody, your husband, his dad, or his father, his mother, all of them, all of them played a role in this. All of them play the role in this. So don't you let them know. I'm really really sad and this really really hurts me.
Speaker 2: And I don't do that. You're right, I don't do it. You're right, I need to let it out. I don't.
Speaker 1: I did classic neurotic virgo behavior. Ask me how I know, Ask me how I know? Go ahead, ask me how I know?
Speaker 2: How do you know?
Speaker 3: None of your business the virgo mask of perfection and let people see the ugly sain I feel right now.
Speaker 1: Ah, and that's when you'll get start getting in touch with what he what he sees in you. Yeah, that's when you'll see that.
Speaker 2: How will he how will he see it? Though he won't see it.
Speaker 1: But don't worry about him, because what's going to solidify your relationship with him is which is probably what he's going through right now. He's in the stage of developing intimacy into me C versus isolation. So if there's anything in him that he thinks is less than unworthy, weak, whatever as a man, he's going to isolate. He's going to isolate, and he's not going to be able to develop intimacy into me C. And the the first person who sees into you is your mother. So if he's angry with you, or if he doesn't trust you, or if he doesn't feel safe with you, he's not going to let you see into him, and he'll cover that up with anger or depression or isolation or those kinds of things. So how you see yourself and your intentions in your mother ring, that's not what he sees. He sees the hypocrisy, he sees the control, he sees the manipulation. He sees those things, or your best intentions, his thwarted childhood mind turns him into something else where you're trying to keep him safe and give him, you know, good character. He sees that as control and manipulation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: So at this point, let your heart break so that you feel the sadness and b let go of the fear, the fear that he's gonna go off and you'll never see him again, or he's gonna hate you forever or whatever. At this point, Mom, that's his business. That's not your business. You gave him the best that you had, and surely, like all of us, you've made mistakes. But he has to be a man enough to talk about the mistakes and how he feels about them. But see you as who you are. Now. He's probably holding you and mad at you about something you did at thirteen when he got his first pubic hair, because once they get a pubic hair, they lose they durned mind. It ain't personal, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: But I try to be so different because, like I said, you know, with my parents, you know that other generation, they did what they did and there are no, you know, no apologies. And with me, I tried to be different than him. I've even tried to apologize. You know, I told him, I know I wasn't a perfect mom, but I told him I was a damn.
Speaker 1: Good mone according to your standards. But this generation of entitlement and permissiveness, breaking the rules and the boundaries, rebelling against the hypocrisy. In your mind, you were a good mom. In his mind, you were pain in his butt that didn't give him what he wanted and let him do what he wanted. That's how he sees.
Speaker 2: That's look at it. You're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: And why did he end up with you when his birth mom didn't want him. That's a deep pain. That's a deep pain. I've worked with a lot of adopted people adopted adults, and it's not conscious, it's unconscious. And the ones who do their personal work, their development work, they get to that and they're able to move through it. Obviously he has not, but he's got time. So express the sadness, deal with the fear of losing him, be willing to let him go, just be willing not to see him, speak to him, have any interaction with him. If it takes five, ten, fifteen years until he's willing to treat you with decency and respect, first as a woman, because how he treats you developed determines how he's going to treat women in his life. But you've got to stop dealing with him as a child and deal with him as an adult man. You have to let him know you don't have permission to speak to me in that manner. And if that's how you want to speak to me, we don't have to speak. You've got to say that, and then you have to draw that line and hold that line, so you block him. He calls your father, you tell his father don't call me about him. He will not disrespect me as a woman or as his mother. And when his grandma calls grandma, I respect you I love you, but I cannot allow him to call me out of my name and make demands upon me. That's unreasonable. Let him know that. Click and look at where you judge, where you criticize, where you try to control and see. Virgos don't like change. We don't like change. We like things orderly and normal, and we know where every penny is and every crumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, ask me how I know. No, it's none of my business.
Speaker 1: That's right. So tell me something you know now that you didn't know when you call Tell me something? What is it that you know now?
Speaker 2: I have learned today that I need to change how I see him. That I need to grasp that he is a man and he's not a boy. That's something that I have never thought about it that way. So I need to remember that fact. I need to allow myself and other people close to me to really understand how the skills and to stop hiding it and smiling and acting like it's okay. That's the biggest thing I learned today. I need to let it out and I need to share it with others so they know how it's hurting me. And then I think the biggest thing I learned is it's okay to grieve him. He has a loss because it's not going to be like I thought. But I need to accept it that it's not going to be right now like I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 1: And he's only twenty one, he's not married, he don't have kids. We don't know what that's going to look like. And pray for him, Pray that the light comes on, Pray that he sees you, that he honors himself enough to honor his mother. You know, I always say to moms, you know, even if you gave your kid's garbage, if you fed them garbage, I know that as a mother, you walked uptown and get found the best bunk garbage you could find. You walk three miles uptown, dug in the rich people's garbage can, and walk three miles back. So even if you gave him garbage, you gave him the best garbage you can find. And he needs to learn to appreciate that you can't do it for him right right. And you said one line that I want to challenge you on. You said, trying to prove I'm a good mom. Stop it. You raise somebody else's child, What is there for you? To prove.
Speaker 2: Wow, I never thought about that.
Speaker 1: Well that's why you called me.
Speaker 3: I never thought, Yeah, you're right at hers.
Speaker 2: I need to stop. I need to stop that. I need to stop trying to prove to him that I am ready.
Speaker 1: And prove to yourself that you're worthy. Because you couldn't have your own children. I'm telling you that's the underbelly. You haven't even tapped into that yet.
Speaker 2: That's a whole nother call.
Speaker 1: This is an important relationship in your life. You value this relationship, you value him, and you still have the right to create boundaries and establish how you want to be treated in this relationship. Just be willing to let him go. Be willing, and don't make his bad behavior about anything you did or didn't do. It's about his experience and he has to navigate that you don't.
Speaker 2: He has to I don't. Oh, this was really needed, and this has been Like I said, I'm gonna when I get off with you, I'm just gonna take someone's to just sit in everything that we've talked.
Speaker 1: About good and as you're listening, any feelings that come up, any challenges, well, no, what about this? What about that? Write that down? Work through that. Yeah, that'll be good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am. This is a lesson. This is going to be a lesson for me to just like I said, to replay it, just to listen, to be an active listener after the fact, and just take it all in what you're saying. So I appreciate you and all that you do. I appreciate today's time. I'm glad that I woke up early and called because I'm on the West coast, so I'm glad that I got through. Oh good, this is a blessing. So thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all that you do for everybody, not just me, but this has been fantastic, and thank you.
Speaker 1: And I want to thank you because what I know to be true about us as women, you called and asked this question, presented this situationship. But you were the tool the universe used to speak to hundreds of thousands of mothers of sons who are exactly where you are. You are not alone. I want you to know that, and I want you to give yourself credit for the courage it took for you to come and expose yourself in this way. And as sister women, we all thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, blessing, Thank you, so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, my love, let me know how you make out. Okay, okay, bye bye, Mothers and sons. It can be a rough road to travel. We have to remember that our children are not our children. They are the sons and the daughters of life, owning themselves. They come to us, but they are not from us. Although they are with us, they belong not to us. So as mothers of sons, we have to give them the permission, the space to grow into who it is they've come to be, and that may not be who we want them to be. But every soul has its assignment and as moms, we just have to take the bitter with the sweet, and sometimes it's more bitter than sweet. That's our show for today. Thank you for tuning in, and I want to leave you with this. No matter what it looks like, Mom, no matter how ugly your son is behaving, stay in peace and not in pieces. See you next time. I hope this has been helpful to someone, And if you have a question about this or any other relationship issue, you can call me live at seven seven five three zero seven seven seven sixty eight. Now be sure to follow me on social media for all of the calling Times. The R Spot is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.