Speaker 1: Hey, ba fan, Mandy here or Mandra you can call me Mandra and that's fine. I have a simple request for you, guys. We get so many questions on how you can support the show, and there's really a very very simple thing that we need you guys to do. Open up this app, open up wherever you're listening to this podcast right now, and subscribe if you have the ability, especially those of you who are on iTunes. We're really making a push to get the show more visible. You've seen that we've partnered with a fabulous new network called Westwood One. But we also need the support of our listeners. So if you are a listener, loyal listener, please subscribe, and if you haven't yet, take a few seconds and leave a five star review, and even a written review would be the icing on the cake. But at least subscribe, leave us a five star review, and continue to support the show. This is so so crucial. It is basically how we tell the Internet that our podcast is worth promoting and featuring and getting charted, and we deserve to be at the top of the charts, just like any other show out there. Can't do it without your support, So thank you very very much. Subscribe, like and review the show, and we thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, I would clap and snap, but I have no one use, only one use of one of my arms. I don't know if it's called one use, but a use of one of my arms.
Speaker 1: Hey manja, hey, gimpy.
Speaker 2: How's it going? Actually not bad like I saw. I got the surgery last week because you know, I tore attendant in my rotator cuff and so I'm actually not in pain. It's just that it's like feeling like a really weak, so I gotta I gotta go to physical therapy. I wear this sling only at night, but during the day I'm actually pretty fine.
Speaker 1: So ouch. Well, I hope that. I mean, this is the last thing you needed. But I'm glad you took care of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was just like, it feels like basically what it's been feeling like, but a little bit like, you know, less strong. But I'm glad to your point, I took care of it because it was either temporarily this or this forever if I didn't take care of it. So I'm glad that I did. My husband was like Superman was like I've never seen anybody rush to get surgery so quickly because I was like, because the thing is, when you have like a rotator cuff or a tear or whatever, you actually have a really hard time sleeping. And I've been having a really hard time sleeping. And I'm someone who loves my sleep. So I was like, yeah, that's a non negotiable.
Speaker 1: I literally took a match on a match. I took a nap on my Zenden floor this morning this afternoon, and I'm like, maybe I should get us a comfy chair in here so I can nap. It was nice, y'all. I took a nap in my office. It's great. This is the best. I was like, I told my husband. I was like, we need to get the light. The only problem is that my light for the basement is up the stairs, and I'm like, we need to get a remote control light so I can just be like peep and then I can just, you know, sneak under my desk, take a little cat nap. It just I'm like, why didn't I work from home before? I used to hate it, But this is great, Tiffany, E've been holding out on us.
Speaker 2: Girl. When I tell you, you know, I love the work from home work from home. Literally, I had like a call at like one point thirty and I was making myself a salmon burger at one twenty, Like this is the life. I have plenty of time to eat my.
Speaker 1: Burger, right, I have no excuse to order lunch anymore because I just go upstairs and I grill a piece of chicken and I'm like kind of cranky about it, but then I feel good about myself afterward. Yeah, I'm glad that you're on the mend.
Speaker 2: But I did want to. So there's been a little like I'm I don't know in the finance community, and I would love to hear your input also to the BA audience. So I'm not gonna I'll keep names out of it because one of the young women I know very well. So there's a Hispanic young woman. She posted a meme and it featured it wasn't a negative meme, but it featured a black woman. Well you know, I'll just use a black woman's it's Asa Ray and it's like he says, like in the New SUBNW magazine. Anyway, she's jumping and she's posted memes before of like you know, like you know, like jumping into your Ira or like, you know, there's a funny one with Meg the Stallion, you know, y'all know, so Meg is like looking disgustedly down at the camera, and it's like the meme says how the whole financial and personal finance industry is looking at dr you know, we just talked about, you know what, our least favorite financial guru. So anyway, I didn't think anything of it. But I guess a group of black women who are in the personal finance space, you know, share that they didn't like that she posts black women in meme. I mean, she doesn't just post black women. She mostly posts like everybody, but you know, black, Hispanic. I don't know if I've ever seen white, but either way, and so she actually reached out to me and said, you know, was I wrong for this? And I was like, well, I I'm not gonna lie. I didn't. I didn't get it because I'm not gonna lie. I posted Cardi b as a meme. And remember many remember those two little girls that like had the birthday party. It was like a funny meme when one sister blew up the other sister's candle. It was like these little, two little Hispanic girls right, So, like I like named one of them like you're checking account and the one that blew out the candle, like you're you're checking your savings account, and the other one was like you're when you know your check engine lights. So basically, just when you're feeling good, the girl whose birthday it was, your sister blows out, and that's that's your your that's your your check engine light. So anyway, those little girls were his spanning. So I because I've posted memes of other races, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't. I didn't even get what the issue was. And so one of the young black women that reached out to the Hispanic woman was like, hey, you know, she tagged me because she knows. You know, I'm close with the young Hispanic woman. She's one of my mentees actually, and so I actually conversation last night and I said, you know, you know, I'm not trying to be you know, facetious, but I have used memes with other races, and I didn't know that it was like and not in a negative way, like you know, never mean like this is the rich one, the white woman, this is the poor one, the black woman. You know, just like like when Cardi b came out and she had a picture of her when she was a little girl, and it was like everybody was doing like she looks like a little girl that would tell on people all the time. And it was like my mama said, and I think I was, like, my mama said, you better get to budgeting or something like that. Anyway, So she the the young black woman who reached out to me when we were conversing last night, it was, you know, a pleasant conversation, wasn't anything negative. She sent me a bunch of articles about digital black face and then black memes, and it just a bunch of things to like kind of read articles to read. And you know, I I'm still struggling with I didn't see. I didn't see anything inherently wrong if you're not using it in a way to disparage the race that you're posting. And I'm just curious and you know, and I could be wrong. I'm open to obviously correction, because I'll give you another example to the young woman. The Hispanic woman had used so I guess on Clubhouse, she had used Easter raised jumping picture as like her picture temporarily, and so the black woman was like, she is blackfishing because she us it's a raised picture. I'm like, yeah, but I don't think she's trying to pretend, like, hey, I'm tricking you to think I'm black, because I think black people we know who Eter Ray is. And the Hispanic woman's name is, her handle is a Hispanic hand. I don't want to say so it goes rushing, but it's it's basically like her handle is like I am, I am a Spanish woman, Like that's her head. So it's like, you know, and then the week prior, she had changed her clubhouse picture to my book cover, so it was my picture, and I shared that with her, Like you know, I said, I'm not trying to make excuse, but is that wrong if she changes her clubhouse picture to my picture I'm a black woman, and she did so in support of like my book, So you know, I'm trying to remain open minded because it's become like a thing. Then since then, yeah, and so since then, you know, it's like she's apologized that my mentee has apologized publicly. I mean, we talked about her reaction to me. I'm not gonna lie to me. I didn't know I didn't necessarily feel that anything was wrong with using means of other races, but I did share that her her reaction and not you know, it wasn't a positive reaction, like you know, like how to navigate and negotiate when someone tells you how they feel instead of antagonizing them with like posting additional like posts to antagonize them to listen even if you decide to continue the behavior. So to me, that's where their misstep was made because her reaction to them reaching out to her that wasn't ideal. And I shared that with her so I could share that candidly here, so that part I understood. But yeah, so what do you think, Mandy, Like do you think digital I guess digital black face or the memification of black women? How like, yeah, I know you probably never had to think about that before, but what do you think?
Speaker 1: No, I have, I have had. I have been thinking about it, and I think we saw a lot of the thing with the memification of black people is especially for me over the election cycle. That is, if you ever were you know, if you ever were a massachist like me and decided to go check on your conservative family and friends Facebook pages just because you just wanted something to be outraged about. You would see a lot of really terrible memes, especially after Kamala Harris was named Biden's VP choice. I remember one of my relatives back in Georgia, who you know, it's been been a very long year with that family. But yeah, they had posted a meme of Kamala with the fly from Mike Pence's head from that one debate coming out of her vagina, and the idea was making fun of a black woman and her sexuality and saying that she's dirty. And so I have been ultra sensitive to to the memification of black women in media because I because of that. And it's not just Kamala Stacy Abrams, oh my god, the some of the things that they have like that they pass around on the internet with AOC Stacy Abrams. Uh, I'm sorry, Ellen Omar. You know these these uh, these women of color in politics who have gained gained a big platform over the past, you know, in the wake of the of Trump's election. It's it's really I mean that is it's problematic, It definitely is. And and so this definitely so it's something I I didn't realize it was happening or that I did kind of hear about this situation because I follow the same people you do, probably, but that's where I'm coming from. I I've been really sensitive to that. And like one of my friends and what was it? There was it was there was something that was sent around after Oh what was it? It was some Oh damn it, I'm gonna think of it later. And then it's like the perfect example. There was something in the news and then someone created a meme out of it, and I was like, look, it's too soon for a meme about this, Like, I don't wanna it was the Capital Riot. Thank you. It was the thank you brain you gave it to me. The Capital Riot. People were already trying to memify it. And you know that guy carrying the podium out and saying like, oh, this guy, you know, is your addiction to online shopping and the podium is your savings account kind of like and and that's just that's a fake example I just made up. But for me, I was like, listen, too soon, attack on our nation's democracy. Too soon by white supremacis too soon. But in this case, in this case, yeah, so a Hispanic woman with the with the yes Hispanic woman using a pop culture figure like as her profile photo. I think it's like you said, it's all about the entire behind it. And my my thing is, I think as black and brown people, we have to support one another. And I think that there's a lot of there is a lot of education on both sides that's necessary. I don't pretend to know everything that I need to know about, you know, cultures that are different than mine, but we should all be more sensitive to that. And and I'm you know, I'm sorry if this meant that someone was attacked or tried to be quote unquote canceled on social for something that they did that was offensive to others. I hope that it started a conversation. And I think it's it's good that you know, you talk to your mentee too, because you can come at it from because I know you have empathy for the woman who made the post. And but at the same time.
Speaker 2: You know, I was open to like the young woman that you know reached out because I you know, one she was the you know, the young woman that reached out. She herself as a black, young black woman and she's in personal finance, and she was like, oh, my god, you know, but I love what you're doing and I just wanted to, you know, bring this to your attention. And I kind of it, but I didn't really know what was happening. So we were like kind of like messaging back and forth. Instagram has this like feature where you can like it was nice to hear her voice versus just like writing, because you know, sometimes you know, you write something and it can it can lead a lot, you know. So we were kind of like voice messaging back and forth, and she was you know, more than more than amiable pleasant, you know, it wasn't it wasn't contentious at all. She just shared. So I you know, I told her, I said, I'm gonna be honest that you know, I don't do it a lot, but you know, I've used means of people who were different races before, so I want to get clear on what you know, Like, you know, my initial reaction was like, what was wrong? You know, and so she was like, you know, so she sent me some articles to read, which I did and I said I understand, and said most of the articles were about digital black face, and I said, well, I don't you know. Her picture is her picture of I think she's Dominican, but anyway, she's you know, like a a light skinned Hispanic woman, you know. So and she's a yes, but she used you know, ray ray on her clubhouse and I said yes as a fun pick because I don't think that she was pretending to be soay because we all know who it wasn't a random black girl, you know what I mean. And then I said, and then I did share. I was like, you know, she had before that, she had my picture up, you know, And honestly, I had a whole room full of people who shared my picture, although although I suspect most of them were black women because that's my core audience. So and I said, and then I shared some means that I had that I said, and I was like with, you know, it is this in the same line, and because I've done that and I'm not I did, you know what I mean, Like, I'm not looking to offend anyone, but I'm also not looking to be you know, I just want to make sure that because to your point, Mandy, if someone says a thing like, hey, this is something that's offensive to me, you should listen. And I think that that part was definitely missing, the like you know the listening component, but at the same time, and I guess I'm also like I guess at the heart of it all, and they're actually having a clubhouse about it, you know, by the time you guys listen, I think the clubhouse will be over, but they're having a clubhouse about it conversation. So I'm gonna see if I can make I don't know if I'll be able to because I really do want to understand. I understand about the memes that are meant to be used to disparage communities, but I'm like, yikes, Like, for example, I used you know Future, Are you familiar with Future? He used to be like used to be with Sierra, Like yah, yeah, So if you know, like futures like claim to fame kind of is that he's kind of like an f boy you know, like you know, like not the greatest boyfriend, you know, just a player basically, right. So there's this meme that everybody uses that Future is like so toxic and that he's always texting some random foolishness. So so there's this mean that I use where Future and you guys can could take a look at my page and kind of let me know what you think because I am open where future is like texting, and it says the Budgetista was on Clubhouse talking about her book Get It with Money, and I realized, I need to get good with you. I'm gonna pre order it for you so you can see what I mean. But that is very future like something will happen, and it's like like just to say it's raining, you know, it's raining outside, and it made me realize, you know, I miss sitting in the rain with you, like that kind of thing, like you know those guys who text you ten years later what you're doing or how are you? So I use that meme and I'm like, I mean, it doesn't paint in future in the best life. So I'm really just trying to learn, honestly. So I would love, honestly be a like feedback, but because like I said, I don't rarely most of my pictures on my ig feed are me, but there's the off chance that you know, it's a it's a it's a celebrity, And very rarely do I post you know, a woman that's not me, but or a woman of a different race, because my audience is largely with black women. But honestly, if you were to go to my Literature Academy page, we have posts of all different races of women, and I'm just like, I guess I'm trying to wrap my mind around when is it okay to post other women? Because Literature Academy there's a wider variety of women that join the my online school and the budget NISA, not that we turn anyone away, but my core audience as black women. So with the Academy you see different faces way more than you would on the Budgetista. And if you go to liver at your academy the Instagram, you will see there's a white woman like someone's TikTok, there's an Asian woman and a Spanish woman. They're not memes per se, But like I said, I guess I'm just having a hard time Like now I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all use memes. And that is why I'm so afraid of saying doing the wrong thing on on social and why I'm not as quick to get in the back and forth of being witty on social media because I feel like eventually you are going to trip up and slip up and offend somebody, not that I and it just feels like I think that there should be room for human error on the internet. Unfortunately the culture were now I actually agree that it's a little too It's not I don't want to use the word that conservatives use whenever they talk about cancel culture and stuff, because it's not that people are too sensitive. It's just that there's not enough listening. There's not Honestly, there's not a there's not space for that. It's not like any no one really ever says, Okay, this was an interesting debate, let's have a larger discussion. So I kind of love that you you said that they're doing a clubhouse on digital black face. I might try and check that out too, But for me, it's like, I don't I do think when you're sharing memes, think about what your meme is saying, because I think what I've seen on social media is political conservatives. You know, often white people when they share memes to be entertaining or get laughs. It can be a black person. Often it's like, you know, the memes of the girls from Real Housewives or from a back girls club, and like, I don't know those images. It's like, why are you choosing this to represent your mood? And I feel like whenever someone needs to like use a gift to express that they're frustrated or they're pissed. It's like a mad or sassy black woman, you know. And I was just and I this is I was. I was trying to actually got my vaccine point and I'm so excited. The reason I'm eligible for a vaccine appointment is because in New York, if you're overweight, that's a comorbidity. And I have never been happier to be fat. Y'all. Okay, Like I'm like, yes, I will claim the pounds. No more lying, no more given myself a thirty pound you know, whatever's on my license that ain't true. I'm like, yes, yes, I am fat, I am overweight. Uh huh anyway, so what But anyway, I was trying. I was joking about that with my family because of course they were like, how did you get eligible? So I was trying to choose a gift to show that I was chubby. I ended up going Willne the Pooh. There's a really cute gift of him, like, you know, poking his tummy in the in the mirror. But there was like three pictures of big black women before that, and I did look at it, and I was like, nah, why is this funny? Why you know? But to your point about not, you know, not wanting to intentionally proliferate stereotypes like a black man being a player or not you know, a player or having a bunch of I don't know what future. I don't know what his deal is. All I know is you know Sierra has something to do with that. Are they still together? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, she's married now. But I say, what you mean that likes me? The intention behind it and seeing like you're right, Future. The intention for me posting future was to reiterate what we know about him, which is you know, well not what we know, what we think we know about him, which is he's a player and so let's lean into it. He he ha ha. But I'm like, er, is that fair of the future? You know? No, you know, I don't know him. Honestly, he could be an amazing father, boyfriend, whatever. Yes, okay, Because I was trying to wrap my mind around, like wait, what, we'll not alls to use memes if you're not in it. But it's bigger than that. It's the intention and because I'll give you an example that like my eyes are like okay. So there was this you know, we all know Joanna Scammer. Remember that guy his name was like Brandon or whatever. So one day look at me one day, So once in an email we sent out like I don't know, it was one of our weekly good email and we had send out to say, I forget what the purpose of the email was, but we use a Joeanna Scammer gift like Harry up before it's all gone or whatever. The gift was sharing. And so a woman wrought me back was like, wow, I'm really disappointed in you, Tiffany and using this this you know Joanna Scammer. She's like, I know, on its surface, is he he ha ha funny, But when you really look at what this like what he's perpetrating as it relates to women, especially black women, especially women of color, it's negative like that. It's like, you know, this is how we are, that we're scam artists, that we all want we all subscribe it and want to be wealthy white women. And so she sent me some articles to read and I did, and I thought, you know what, She's right, So I stopped using Like that was the first time I ever sent out that gift or used it, and that was the last time, so I can you know. So that's why I said I wanted to come with an open mind of like cause you know, mindity reaction was like are we not allowed to use skips? And we all I always use scips? Wait wait wait wait you know, like what what's allowed? And are you know? And is this overreaching? Is it not? But I can see from that perspective of how you know, sometimes sometimes you see things so so constantly, like Nini, they've got this terrible gift of her like if you go to with the.
Speaker 1: Big teeth, Oh what is that?
Speaker 2: I know it's really yeah yeah when I see that one, I always cringe like, yeah, I have Nini with the big like that's really it's like sambo honestly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think that's where it comes into play. It's like are you what are what image? Are you trying? Like? Okay, this person posting a picture of Terray because she's a fan of hers or whatever. I feel like some digital black faces. Oh I'm trying to pretend like I'm a black person. Yeah, I'm trying to catfish. What do they call blackfish? Yes, that is obviously bad on its face, but yeah, I I if I wanted to, like, I am such a fan of America for I just have loved her ever since forever. Real women have curves, ugly Betty, I stand for her. I'm like, hell yeah, I put my picture as America just to like if I was celebrating her. But yeah, I think it's the intent behind it. It doesn't sound like this particular person tried to you know, was doing it to to demean Esa or to try to pretend like she was Lisa. If anything, she probably thought this is like, oh, I'm showing that I'm down, like I support black, black creatives and all that. I feel like, if we're going to expect people to be allies and we're gonna give them, like we've all been saying this year, we need allies. We need people who don't look like us to champion us. So that means we should you know, beat white people. Non black people are going to be championing black their they're black colleagues or they're black you know, entertainers and artists and all that. So there will be slip ups along the way, But I don't want to stop the progress you know, I wouldn't want to make her feel like she could never try to amplify a black voice or a black cause because of what happened this time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so yeah, so I mean, but we'd been really curious. We'd love to hear from you guys, like what you think, because it's a it's a slippery slope at first seems like so benign, but then you're like, wait, as I dig deeper, is it really so? I You know, honestly, I'd love your feedback, love love to know what you think. I'm always open to learning. Like when a young black woman shared me articles and stuff, I was like, oh oh, And just hearing from you, Mandy, I'm like, oh, okay, I will say this that I'm proud of my mente because I know she it was not easy, she said. She posted like a really heartfelt apology because we spoke. We spoke at length, you know, and I just was sharing with her where I thought she made some missteps. At the time, I didn't really focus so much on the memes and more so on the reaction and how when when someone says something share something with you about, you know, like reacting, like what that reaction looks like and should look like, because you know, I'm not gonna lie. There's definitely times people have come for me. I would say nine times out of ten. I'm pretty good at not reacting negatively. Every once in a while somebody catches me and I snap, but that doesn't happen often. And I told her, you know, I've misstepped, you know, but you know, ideally you're wanting that. Quite honestly, if someone comes at you nasty, you have the right to not respond at all or to block them. Like if someone comes at me, like you know, the young black woman he hit me up, she wasn't nasty, so I wasn't nasty. We had a great conversation. But if if she would have come at me really really nasty, I have the option of ignoring her or she just blocking her, which I've done before to people who, instead of you know, coming to me and sharing whatever they're thinking, you know, can basically have come yelling or barking at me. And I'm like, well, there's no space for that, and I just block and I leave it alone. I don't. I don't give any space or energy to that. So yeah, so I guess we'll see how this all plays out. But yeah, it was just very interesting. I was like, I wonder what Mandra thinks.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for caring. What little old mel.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: What else is happening? Stimulus checks, stim means, I comment stimm Stimmans, I was really bummed. Did you hear that the fifteen dollars minimum wage is going to have to get cut from? Let the policy the big bill that they're trying to pass through.
Speaker 2: Honestly, so did you know I'm so I'm going to the White House virtually.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you yes, yes, I saw that you and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a bunch of books. So yeah, So they the White House reached out.
Speaker 1: For They like, we're looking for Tiffany the Budgetiesta, the author of Kick with Money dot but you can find it gi Good with Money dot com.
Speaker 2: I bet you. They won't let me say that like hello, So she basically I had to submit like sounded like what my questions are? And so I do think what is she asking? So they just like sent me like an email back. I'm like, please don't tell me that I'm not doing it either way.
Speaker 1: So basically, what is it? So what does it mean when the White House contacts you to ask questions about the economic relief package that they're working on. What is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just basically it was not as specific as you would think. They just reached out and said, hey, Tiffany, you know, we love what you're doing. She's reaching out from the White House Office of Digital Strategy. She's working out with the on the Engagement team. Anyway, they want to identify and collaborate with collaborate with value content creators across social platforms, and they're basically wanting to invite me to a zoom curated specifically for content creators like myself and senior officials on the National Economic Council. So they want me to ask questions of the National Economic Council. And so what I did was I did like a social media post asking folks like, hey, you know, what questions would you like me to ask? And so, you know, I submitted some in and basically I'm going like, she just gave me some feedback, So I'm gonna have to like read some of the feedback that she sent me. But yeah, so I'm I'm pretty sure they're gonna be taping it and then I think I'll be able to share the video like you know, with the audience later. But yeah, so you know, the woman who reached out, I mean, judging by her name, it looks like a black name. And she did say like that she was a huge fan. I'm like, okay, dream, you know, my ladies be black for the most part, although you know, we don't turn nobody. Oh way, we have lots of other ladies. So yeah, so it was just exciting that, you know, that she reached out. I'm like, yeah, I'm interested. So she is, you know, she she works with partnerships and she's a partnerships manager at the White House Office of Digital Strategy. So it's just exciting to like, you know, basically, what do y'all want to know from this administration about like kind of like what's happening and you know, like financially, I'm sure they're going to do other types of like collaborations with different like subject matters and so what it seems like honestly, because there's a bunch of people that I saw post about it in the financial space and it was like all women unless the men just have not posted. So I'm curious to see, like, you know, what kind of comes of this. So yeah, I just thought like, look that. My mother was like, do you watch House the biggest thing you've ever did. I'm like, I'm not actually going to a white House. I'm not meeting Kamala mom. And she's like, still, this is what she said, because only mama's Mandy. I hope he becomes this type of mama that just be like, give me all the deeps so I can brag on you rio. Yeah, she was like, send me something, send for something to me basically to deal on it. Yeah, she wants a proof to like to start on my auntie. So sorry.
Speaker 1: She's the one who wants you to grab a match book, a match book or like a pen.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, Mommy, it's gonna be digital. She's like yeah, but still I don't a screenshot. So something about the invitation so I could I could hear my friends?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, oh that's so. I mean, good on them for if you're on their list of people to to to be counseling the Economic Council, then that is a sign that we were heading in the right direction. Y'all, I've been reading. I'm not gonna go too far into it, but I have If y'all actually read the articles on what's happening with the stimulus package. It is not you know, that whole the fifteen dollars minimum wage that we were we I'm not, you know, whatever progressives were hoping would be in the package had had has to be dropped in order to pass the sentence. So it's passed the House and now, and the reason it has to be dropped is just it's literally like the monotony of passing policy in this country, and like the little niggling rules that can stop things from happening, and the way that they're trying to pass this bill, if I'm understanding correctly, they need a certain number of votes in order to do it, and because we don't have that big of a majority. In fact, in the Senate it's a dead tie with Commonly being the tie breaking vote. It's not enough to get the number of votes that they need. They actually need more than that simple majority to get it. So that's why we can't. We just can't be complacent, y'all. Even with even having the House and taking back the White House and we have that razor thin edge and the Senate, it's it's still not enough for some policies to be passed through, so you know, just you know, vote, vote, vote, please vote, and pay attention to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's just there's just so many honestly, Like I have to say, like most of the questions that people ask revolved around the fifteen dollars like minimal wage. So many questions about student loans.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I would say a good forty percent that people like message me, we're about student loans. And then there's a lot of worry about Okay, so we have all this more moratoriums about like deferred mortgages and deferred payments and so what happens when those expire. So a lot of people are like, so I still don't have any money, so what'll be fit to do then? Yeah, so there's just a lot of worry and understandably, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well when it's this uh, this meeting.
Speaker 2: So it's going to be Wednesday in the afternoon, so I don't believe it's like some live thing. I'm assuming it's video, and then I think they're going to be giving me a.
Speaker 1: Clip to share, Okay, dope. Well, if you guys you're hearing this Wednesday morning, if you're upright and early with us, five am Central Eastern Senior Times on. The show goes live on Wednesdays. Uh tweet Tiffany or hit her up on Insta or drop us and know what that Brown Embission podcast on Insta And you know, if we don't get to squeeze it into Tiffany, can you just know, don't be plugging stuff on your You're right, You're right, they'll kick you up. You will get the boot real quick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you still yeah, no, thank you. That's that is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of hitting us up for questions, why don't we take a quick break and we will be right back with you all question. Okay, guys, we are back with your questions. Please please hit us up with your questions. Go to Brown Ambition Podcast dot com and ask us anything, or you can also hit us up directly on Instagram at Brown Ambition Podcast. I do check those all the time and I often answer, So hit us up on IG if you have any questions. Actually, let me go to IG right now for our first question. This comes from Caitlin. Caitlin says, Hey, Bron Ambition, I love the podcast. You've taught me so much. I have what feels like a very simple and actually a privileged question for you. I'm very lucky and have a relative who set up a brokerage roth IRA for me. Can I still set up my own roth? They contribute the money to the brokerage IRA, but I don't know if that would prevent me from opening my own. Thanks for helping me get my retirement game on. Now. I follow it up with her because when she asked, you know this, this almost sounded like are you young and someone's opened a custodial IRA for you? Yeah, because custodial IRA, which I opened for my son recently, is basically it's an IRA that IM in that he's the beneficiary of. He'll get control of it when he's I forget if it's eighteen or twenty one in New York, but when he's of age then he can have access to it. But anyway, so I followed up and asked her, and she said, Okay, I am thirty four, two kids, a husband, mortgage, student loans, and the account actually isn't a custodial IRA. I'm in full control of it, but I don't touch it because this relative continues to contribute the max each year. First of all, can you adopt me into this family with relatives who max out your IRA every year, because that seems like a pretty sweet do you. So basically, she's got this IRA that someone's contributing to, which is dope, but she would like to. And the reason that she's asking about the limit up to every year, there's a new sort of limit set on how much you can put into a roth IRA, and for twenty twenty one it's six thousand dollars, I believe. So once you've hit six thousand, you can't contribute to that roth IRA anymore. So she wants to know can I do my own and then I can have up to twelve thousand dollars annually. The answer is no. I'm pretty sure that no, you can't do that, especially if it's in your name already. I don't know how this is the thing though, and this is a good question that I've come that actually led me from this is how did they know? You know? I was surprised. I finally had maxed out my four to one K through my employer for the past couple of years, and I was trying to do the math toward the end of the year, like to be sure I didn't put too much because I was worried, and even my magical financial planner Helen, couldn't really tell me. How did they know if you've exceeded and then if you do put more than you're allowed to what happens? Then? Do you have to like how does that work? And I realized with my four to one K, they have an automatic they just stop you, like if you get to the max, they won't take your money, They'll just you know, they'll take less than what you automatically have contributed from your four to one K. But with an era, yeah, I wonder how did they know? Maybe when you submit your taxes you have to put all that in there, but yeah, you're only allowed one ira, and you know this relatives maxing out yours. If you wanted to have an additional ira, you say you were married and you have a spouse, so I would say, you know, maybe have one in their name that you could open and then contribute to would be the next step. Or you know, take your extra coins and throw them into a traditional era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was going to say, like, like, for example, you can have a raw ira, but there's a maximum that you can contribute to retirement and you could potentially have multiple accounts, but you still can't exceed the max, Like you can't exceed like if it's six thousand dollars, that's what it is this year, and usually it goes up like every two years, like five hundred dollars or something or so every two years, you can't exceed whatever the max is. I remember, like, I don't know how they know. Like for example, I was contributing accidentally to accept but I was no longer self employed, but I still thought of myself as self employees, like no, girl, you work for your company now, And so I was mistakenly contributing to a steps so I had to like it was just a whole like tax kerfluffle that had to be fixed. But I thought to myself, how did they even know? But they knew, they knew. Yeah, I don't know how they know, but they'd be knowing that maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would say, you know, open your own brokerage account, and I mean, again, can y'all adopt me?
Speaker 2: Because I would be that's really awesome, yeah, of your relative very much.
Speaker 1: So all right, well, thank you very much for your question. Hopefully that answered it, and let me know what you and your husband decide to do, you know, because you could always just open up a regular brokerage account taxable brokerage account too, and just wouldn't want you to like not invest extra money if you had it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: All right, here's a comment on last week's episode where we talked about, you know, Tiffany brought up picking your brain and asking potential mentors or people in your you know, industry or in your in your field for advice and how that can really go overry and how you know, Tiffany, not to put words in your mouth, but as I'm summarizing, but you want you kind of try to protect yourself from situations where you know people are picking your brain for the wrong reasons or they're doing it selfishly, and then you're just not getting anything out of it, but yet you're pouring into it. So this read or sorry, this listener said, I totally agree with both Mani's and Tiffany's points of view. I hate this post about picking your brain because picking your brain in that phrase can be very off putting. When I was in corporate America, there were two white women that helped me launch my project management career. I wish I had a black woman as a mentor. But I never worked in an organization with a lot of black representation in management or executive positions. The women that helped me didn't require an invoice. They just wanted to play the role as mentor and pay it forward. I implemented what they recommended because I didn't want to waste their time and understood that they were doing it for free. It just feels like all the quote internet unquote millionaires don't remember that it was likely someone giving up their time to help them. And to be honest, I often wonder how much value they are actually providing. Love You Ladies and the podcast No, And to be honest, I often wonder how much value they are providing there you.
Speaker 2: Go No No, I agree, And honestly, I it's unfortunate. I think that obviously asking in the right way and then asking without expectation that someone has to do it. But I do believe in pouring into people. I've got three active mentees like right now, and I don't expect anything other than that what I share, not that it has to be implemented to the tea, but you're going to you know that you're you're not just talking just to talk. You know that You're like, oh, I never thought about it that way, okay, meaning like I like to see growth basically now, even if it's not exactly like what I've said, you know, but I don't want to pour in. And then you're like, yeah, actually, change my mind. I want to be a writer. It's like, okay, well here's something you can do. I actually I changed my mind. I want to scuba dive. And it's like, oh, okay, because because it's like, you know, typically, like I don't spend less than an hour of time on the phone with my mentees, you know, at a time some of like when outside was open. One mente in particular, we would always have lunch for a couple of hours. I just shared with you my you know, my mentee, the Hispanic young woman, and then pouring into her. We spoke for an hour yesterday after everything had happened, so I believe, and even the Hispanic MENTI when she reached out to me, she asked me, can you be my mentor? And I said, honestly, I'm my capacity, but I always almost always say we can have a call if I'm not super overwhelmed. And so we had a call and I say, I really liked her, and we clicked and then we just started speaking like more regularly, and then she was like, hey, I'm a mentee. Now I guess you are.
Speaker 1: Yes, so because it's it's a friendship as much as it's a professional relationship, you know, So if you vibe and you enjoyed talking to someone, yeah, I yes. I just know there are some people out there giving advice to people and they're like, man, I really hate talking to this person and stop doing it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, no, no, I totally agree. And I think it's just unfortunate too that she's right that a lot of people don't want to pour in. Or is it like because like if you DM ig DM someone and ask them, that's not the same thing as someone I wanted to pour in. You know, they might receive. I remember a woman like wrote me and I try to answer my ig dms. I actually had to turn them off because it got to be so overwhelming because I would get hundreds a day I'm asking questions, So I was I usually said, aside a couple hours a day to like go through and answer all these questions. And I guess I missed her question because she like wrote me back like a nasty like, oh, I guess you don't answer, And I was like, what I didn't see, you know, And I said, oh, I apologize. I don't always get to see all my questions. I get a few, you know, across all platforms, I get a few hundred a day. And she said something nasty back, and I'm like, sis, yeah, you know, like because then now, like so, what motivation is it for me to help you with this credit score? Now that you don't bark on me, you know, But so, yeah, I do believe that people should pour into people, but I also believe that you should ask without expectation, because one, you don't know like where that person is, you don't know what's happening, You don't know, you know, they could be having a personal crisis. I remember a woman was mad at something that happened in the group and she had reached out to me. And at the time, I just had fiber surgery and it was like serious surgery, like it was like it was like a cesarean had like cut me open. That was in the hospital for three days. And so I guess she must have written me the day before I went in or whatever, and you know. But I was in the hospital for three days. I was not on Facebook. So by the time I got back, she had this litany of like, you know, basically cussing me out, and I was like, oh so just sweat my eyes fighting for my life in the hospital.
Speaker 1: You never know what someone is going through. Just stop, just stop up, Oh my god, what's happening?
Speaker 2: Ask without expectation, but you should certainly ask, and no one just because you're asking something, they should not mistreat you. Now, it'd be one thing if you ask some one they're like, girl, don't ask me that. Then that's nasty. But someone not responding could mean that they didn't see it, and someone responding in a nasty way is unacceptable. But someone doesn't have to say yes or even has to respond because quite honestly, they may not have seen it. So like, yeah, it's yeah, it's unfortunate that there are there are nastiness, this nastiness on both sides. But I honestly, more than most times, I find that people are pretty generous, you know. I find that, so so lean in and don't be afraid to lean in horizontally someone who was at similar level than you, but might be killing it in one area that you want to learn about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point your colleagues for peers.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because there are definitely people who are like that. I'm like, oh, Mandy, wait, how do you do that? You know, because somebody else who you know is way fur their head might be super busy, but it's easier to reach out to people who are who are at similar levels, but they've they've really killed a section, like, well, wow, your Instagram stories are amazing? Can I ask a question? I do that all the time, and I've always been met with more more feedback than if I reach out to someone who was like, way, way way ahead of me, because it's likely they may not have seen my message.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, y'all can definitely send me your questions. I'm gonna answer. I'm gonna read them. If not me, then my cousin Anna. So we are here for all of your I'm actually I was just dming someone. They start, they start typing back, and I'm like, oh, it's gonna be a it's gonna be a thing. People are always excited when they hear from us. I just you know, I don't don't worry tip, I don't pretend that I'm you. They know, y'all know, y'all know. All right, Well, thank y'all for the questions. Let's move on into brown boost brown break.
Speaker 2: Now it's time to boostop break, Oh, boost up break? Is you gonna booze? Is you gonna break me while I'm bopping like my shoulders not.
Speaker 1: Like, oh please, don't don't bob sliggle your toes or something.
Speaker 2: So are you gonna boost or are you gonna date break?
Speaker 1: Mandra I want to do a boost. I'm gonna do a mini boost, and then I actually want to boot one of our listeners who sent a really sweet story about her financial win. So I don't know, I kind of feel like we should do that. Y'all shall send us your financial wins and then maybe we can boost you every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Ooh I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my original boost was going to be yesterday during the Globes, which I am. I guess I'm eighty five years old. I still watch the Golden Globes because no one else did. I just like to have it on the background, you know, And it was really awkward because everyone's on zoom, but I really wanted to see who was going to win Best Actor, and Chadwick Boseman won for his role in Mavrey Knee's Black Bottom, and his wife, you know, Chadwick passed last year. His wife accepted his award on his behalf. And what really made it touching beyond the fact that he won, was a segment earlier in the show when they had some I don't know, some TV host I think it was like entertainment tonight, and they interviewed a bunch of little kids, like kids say the darn is saying, let's see, you know, and they asked him a bunch of questions about pop culture, about the government, like where's the White House? All these funny questions on a quiz. Of course, none of the kids knew anything, like knew any of the right answers except all of those kids, and they were very diverse, black girls, black boys, white boys, white girls, like all different ethnicities. Every one of those kids knew when he said who is chad but Chadwick Boseman, they all knew Black Panther. And after you watched the whole that really gave me chill. I'm getting chills now because that just is just it's just a reminder of how powerful that film was and what Chadwick meant to everybody for the culture, but not just for our culture, but for the whole, for everyone, for everyone. So shout out to Chadwick, rest in peace. And I can't believe he's gone, but all right, that was my boost. And then I did say I was going to read this message we got from our listener on Instagram because I thought it was really sweet. Last week or the week before that, we were talking about merging your finances as a couple maybe for a little bit, and about how sometimes when you when you're on the same page about your goals, you can achieve your goals faster as a couple. So this is our listener, Darlene, and she says this, Hey, Andy and Tiff. I feel like Tiff is a friend, so I'm gonna I can't even say her full name anymore. I was listening to the recent podcast and I wanted to give some insight about the listener who said they had forty thousand dollars in debt. I was in a similar situation where I was almost thirty thousand dollars in debt between credit cards and personal loans, and it took a toll on my life in general. In October, after I had a big breakdown, my husband finally saw the toll it was taking on me, and he decided to close out his bank account and merge with mine so we could start putting our money together. We made a few calls with a couple of my credit cards and asked for an extension, and in the meantime, we took our stimulus money along with almost three thousand dollars we had saved and started the snowball method. And just to back up what you said, the only regret I have was not putting our money together sooner. We've been able to get my debt down to eight thousand dollars, and while we still have a long way to go, we have made it far and even our relationship has gotten better.
Speaker 2: We respect yay, we.
Speaker 1: Respect money much more now than ever before. So that was a message from Darlene and Darlene, I'm snapping for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would snap for you, darling. Well, you know it's my left handed snap.
Speaker 1: You got the left hand. Wait which arm is it left or right?
Speaker 2: My right arm is finito?
Speaker 1: Oh left hand snap?
Speaker 2: That's my left handed snap. It's not as strong, but it's there for you. Girl. No, honestly, that's awesome. Remember like that thing that we'd like that there was something that folks to me that was really powerful that doctor Green had taught me that shame. You know, shield solutions and the only antidote is is voice. And so you gave voice to it. You ask for help, your husband heard you, and now here you are. So that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Thank you so much for sharing that, darline. Yes, all right, Tiff, Well.
Speaker 2: My boosty boost is not a super like you know in depth Booze, but system may or may not have got a time.
Speaker 1: Boy. First of all, who do you know? Because I got a cousin who works there, and my ass couldn't get that bike sooner than six weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy because they sent some email that you know that they had because they were having obviously you know, everybody's home quarantine pandemic. So they kept sending these updated emails saying like, you know, we're we're fixing, like the way we you know, we source like the bike materials and how we've shipped them and blah blah blah. Then I got a text maybe like a week ago. That was like, hey, your bike actually is not due for a couple of weeks, but we could deliver it earlier if you'd like. And I was like, say less, and so it came on Sorturday. I'm so excited that the Peloton guys who dropped it off were so so so so so nice. Of course, I'm pissed because I got my arm done on Wednesday and my arm was like, oh, you think you're gonna ride a bike? I tried to sit on it and I was like, what if I could do on one handed? My husband's like, so you don't want teeth as well as an arm, gotcha? So you know what, it doesn't matter because I got the shoes too small, so I actually got to get a larger, like maybe a half size larger because I were nine.
Speaker 1: I'm two sizes larger than the shoe that I went through three four pairs. Yes, just get just go a couple sizes up.
Speaker 2: Yep, okay, okay, so good to know. So I will because I got a nine, I was like, I was, so maybe I'll get a are you what side do you? Mandy?
Speaker 1: Normally I got a nine, and I actually I think which is a size forty, and then I had to get a size forty two. I went through forty one and then forty two.
Speaker 2: But in your real life, you were a nine.
Speaker 1: Yes, before I had a baby, but then you know, babies make your feet bigger. That's what I've realized. That's a neat little treat. Sorry, nice, I was a bonus. I'll take your vagina and you're none, your shoes fit, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, So maybe I'll try that because I was just so like, oh no, So I mean not that I can ride it anytime soon, but you know, everybody else in the house is exciting, so well.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, you've got the peloton app. Now they have meditation. I did. You can do like a one armed yoga. They might have that. The meditations are legit. Chelsea Jackson, what's her name, Chelsea Jackson roberts Ooh, her voice, And I don't know. When I meditate, I like to hear a black woman's voice. It's just so soothing, and it's just I feel like Chelsea is just here to lure me to sleep all the night. So I feel very like it's she must feel so weirded out when people are like, Yo, it's yours the last voice I heard before I go to sleep every night. But I love it, Chelsea.
Speaker 2: I'll say this that, like, So Logan, who is on my team? She sent me I joined, I joined Black Peloton Riders or co ed one, and I just joined Black Girl Magic Pelaton. Hey, ladies, I heard you so Sidebard they were chatting about us. Logan posted like she was like, oh look that. She's like, they're talking about you because something you said, Mandy about them being really funny. And so she had posted in our giggles and channel channel where she's like, she said, was excited and tickled to hear my two favorite black finance girl podcasters mentioned our group. Yes girl, because Mandy, you're in Black Girl Magic.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh yeah all the way in. I check it every day. That's like the only thing I checked on Facebook. It's like, what are these girls? What are they saying? What vibrator are they recommended?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Because you really come for Tiffany, listen to me. These women have no shame and I love this.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Oh I care everything. There's no subject off off the table. No, it's wonderful. So what's your LB Your leaderboard name girl theist.
Speaker 2: I can't think of nothing else.
Speaker 1: Okay, gotcha. Well, y'all can follow me at Brown Ambition. You follow Tiffany at Budjanista. We should do what Brown Ambition bride.
Speaker 2: We should when my armist together. But I just want to shout out to Nicola who posted our podcast and and said that it was on her face. So hey Nicola, and also want to shout out to Rihanna Ray was listened to this podcast today and heard a shout out for bg M facebook group. She said, we're the funniest group, and I have to agree, and so yeah, that's honestly. I'm I honestly I love what I call free Black Girls. When you said, like you know that there's no subject off limits, because I feel like so many times we're told like, oh no, no, no say that, Oh no, no, no, be polite. Oh no. You know, it's one of the reasons like when my niece Amelia comes over, she's a little bit of a boguardy bully. I let it rock because I'm like, you know what everyone's gonna tell Amelia, Oh no, no, too much, Oh no, no, you can't have that, And then it's like it's mine. It all belongs to me, and I kind of you know, And I see that my sister leaves her to be a free black girl because you know, we're always tell told to shrink or be more polite, or be lighter or be whatever, and she's just free to just be Amy Amy the bully. No, she's not a bully. I just call her crazy baby A A leader, A leader. There you go. She is a leader, and she leads to all of us when when she comes over here, you pick me up you phone. I heard that there were cookies here. I'm like, yes, the cookies here. So yeah, I'm just honestly excited to be a part of this amazing community. I'm back on WW because cis gained ten pounds in corn and so I've lost five of them already, which I'm excited, that's all.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, already.
Speaker 2: Had already had fifteen that I wanted to lose. So let's just say I was twenty five up, so at least now i'm five down. I still got twenty twenty more.
Speaker 1: I just want to lose enough weight to whar my license is not a lie. That would be the real goal. When did I ever weigh what I say, I weigh my license. Oh god, well that's all exciting, but take your time. I ain't going anywhere, but yes, heal up and rest up.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you guys for welcoming into the community. It was lovely as per used mandro per huge.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, stay tuned for some exciting, exciting new bells and whistles for a Brown ambition. Just a little preview. You guys know we take We asked for your questions. We might be able to have you guys actually text or call us with your questions, which I am really excited about. I'm learning some things, y'all. I had some new new fun toys with our new podcast network, west Wood One, so check just look out for that. I'll give you guys an update hopefully by next week.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good.