Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, Where has Andre three thousand and one said the South got something to say?
Speaker 2: NFC South time here in.
Speaker 1: The Chris Wesleyan podcast studio with my friend Jordan Rodrieg, who once covered a team in the NFC South, the Carolina Panthers, and from across the country an NFC South territory, although he's an enemy territory because he's sneaky a Bucks fan, but he lives in Panthers territory. It's Trevor Sikama, by popular demand, already.
Speaker 2: Back on the show. Welcome to Trevor.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Great to be back with you guys, Jordan, and very excited to do podcasts here with you on this platform as well. We've got all sorts of NFC South knowledge here on this show, so this could be good.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you guys having me back.
Speaker 5: Yes, God help us.
Speaker 1: You know I'm the only one here that well, actually I don't know if that's true, but probably that had season tickets to the two thousand New Orleans Saints quarterback by Aaron Brooks.
Speaker 2: When I was in college.
Speaker 1: Wow. Gas, there like one of the most eight fun, eight and eight teams ever. There could be a lot of eight and nine type of teams in this division. There were last year. We'll see We've done twelve minutes per team for all of our division previews, so that's what we're gonna do again. We have different categories that we like to fill out. Will go alphabetical by city. Let's get going Eric behind the Glass and we'll start with the Atlanta Falcons. I'll get us going. Why not because this part's quick? What's bringing us joy for the Falcons? Like at first, I just thought, Man, it's confusion with this team. What is this team? Why is this team? But let's not make it complicated. Bijon Robinson is an artist. I was thinking back to all the artists that have played running back in the last twenty twenty five years. I think Bijon Robinson has a chance to be the best. It might be my very favorite to watch of all those players. Fred Taylor's up there. There's a couple, but he's right there and right in the middle of his prime. So I'm not making it any deeper than that that he's bringing me joy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he is in involved in my bringing me joy too, because I've tried to almost like set a really firm boundary, like with most of these NFC South teams, as being in therapy might suggest to do to me when chaos strikes, and this is a team where it is useless to try to understand what it was what it's going to be this year. The draft classes the last couple of years, very few picks, spending capital on players who will not play for them most likely, if not all of this year, most of this year, and I just was starting to overcomplicate it in my head. And really what simplified it for me and brought me a lot of joy was thinking about them extending their core, starting with Jean Robinson, Drake London, Kyle Pitts, and Matthew bergeron this is what we're looking at for the future. This is a data gathering year, inclusive to the quarterbacks. To me with the Falcons, and that kind of brought me joy. I don't have to overthink the Falcons this year, and in fact, I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 4: I you know this what I'm going to say goes along with Jon Robinson and that this is almost sort of like the scheme Dream.
Speaker 3: But I have another thing for the scheme Dream, which we'll get to in a second.
Speaker 4: But what brings me joy is the fact that this offense is so much fun to watch when Jon Robinson is the focal point.
Speaker 3: Right, they paid him like the focal point. They use them like a focal point.
Speaker 4: I made a joke with some of the training camp things that have happened over the last couple of weeks. I wonder if Kevin STEFANSI is gonna go out to be Jehn Robinson and c it feels about a five hundred touch season this year. You know, I just you gauge the interest how he feels about it, right, But what I do love about this is Kevin Stefanski ran the most outside zone runs with the Cleveland Browns over the last couple of years, and if fits like a glove with this Atlanta offensive line. This Atlanta offensive line is built around the outside zone run games. So to me, it was a scheme fit like a glove. So what brings me joy is the fact that we have an offensive minded head coach now that is paired with one of the best artists out of the backfield in the league in b Jon Robinson. So that is gonna give me joy. And I think It's gonna be a great year for Bijon.
Speaker 2: It's all connected.
Speaker 1: Like, my most important non quarterback is Bill Callahan, the offensive line coach. And of course, you know we don't count head coaches in this category two because Bill Callahan has the reputation in the outside zone. Now you're talking about Stefanski. What a great marriage. You have great continuity on the offensive line. You know, you just signed Bergeron's a young up and coming player, but you've had Linstrom there forever, You've had Fisher there forever. Bill Callahan's coming off two years where his magic did not really work for him. Tennessee Titans fans do not view Bill Callahan as like one of the great offensive line coaches right now.
Speaker 2: So can he get his mojo back?
Speaker 1: Because if he can, and that line then starts overachieving. And the combination of Bijon and as you mentioned, Kevin Stefanski in the outside zone, it all could hum in a way that works. And I don't know about five hundred touches. He's had three sixty five the last couple of years, and so maybe maybe that cranks up to four hundred.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see too much more than that.
Speaker 6: Listen, let's get crazy, right, because I think four hundred plus is very much on the table for Jean Robinson this year. Because Bill Callahan, first of all, is to you guys's point is the outside zone coach. He's the middle zone, outside zone coach. And what do smart teams do but connect that directly to their screen game, into their perimeter catch and run game. And that is something where Jean Robinson I still think has incredibly untapped potential. As productive as he was in those concepts last season, I think it all connects together and also to the scheme dream for me, which am I kind of crazy to think that Tua is the perfect type of timing distributor for that type of offense. I'm not trying to over hype the Falcons here, let me be clear.
Speaker 5: I started with.
Speaker 6: Boundaries and I'm keeping up okay, But I really think that when you look at the pieces and the philosophies that all of these people bring together, and certainly the type of outside zone and middle zone run handoff timing that you need to adequately deploy in order to make that sing, the timing that your offensive lineman need to feel with the quarterback that Tua is very gifted at when he's healthy. And then those the really quick sort of trickeration handoff dump off passes.
Speaker 5: I like all of this. That's a little bit of a scheme dream for me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not saying that Stefanski is exactly like Mike McDaniel, but like both of these guys wanted their run game to get to the outside, whether it was those outside zones or it was something to get into space. They wanted space, they wanted speed. So Tua, I know, you know, coming from his time in Miami, some people roll their eyes and think he's got no chance to succeed when he's in Atlanta. I do think this is a situation that sets up decently well for sort of what he's done well in the past with Miami, coming from an offense that could be somewhat similar in philosophy there, Like Jordan was saying, my most important non quarterback because I flipped to the other side of the ball for scheme dream, so I'll stay on offense. Talk about the most important non quarterback, I do think it's Kyle Pitts because we know what Jon Robinson is going to do for the most part, we know what Drake London is going to do. I'm excited about zacharyah Branch on this team, but let's face it, he's still just a rookie. He's gonna give you some splash plays here and there, but I don't think it's his full season type of a thing. If you really want to lock space in this offense to those timing rounds like you were talking about, manipulate the defense the way that two would be familiar for it, or maybe Michael Pennix if he is the starting quarterback for this team at any point in time, you kind of have to get Kyle Pitts involved really really well. I think we need to see another one thousand yard year from Kyle Pitts if this offense is going to be what it needs to be for this team to be above five hundred. We'll talk about the defense in the second and I know the ceiling and the floor of the records, but if this team's going to have success, it's going to come from the offensive side of the ball. And I think when you look at the offense, there's a lot of expected, there's a lot of like, Okay, we think that they're going to do good here, we think this guy's gonna do good year. The big question mark they could really tip the scale one way or the other to me is Kyle Pitts and how much of an X factor he becomes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if Zach Robinson, their former offensive coordinator, did something well, I think it was scheme up Kyle Pitts. When I watched those guys whore he was kind of the primary guy late in the year. They did a pretty good job. And to kind of close the to a discussion on some level, at least for me, like my things go wrong if it's just like this idea that the pew pew pew, you know, point guard distributor Stefanski to it all goes like well together, Like I don't know, I haven't seen two it in a while in a different system. Like if that doesn't fit, it all falls apart. You mentioned defense, and that's where I go with scheme dream is that Jeff Olbrick did an incredible job along with Raheem Morris last year scheming up pressure, making things very difficult for some of the best teams in the league. It was because of their defense that they beat the Bills and the Rams in some really big time games. Now you don't have Jalen Walker. He's the addresser out for the season. You have a very veteran mix of young talent and veterans that are good in the back end, good secondary lot of talent. Aj Terrell, Xavier Watts, you know Jesse Bates, you have his brother, Avianterrelle like, there are guys there. But man, I don't know Trevor what you saw, what you're thinking defensively because Olbrioke, I think they're close to their ceiling last year, him and Raheem Morris and now like you're you're gonna be without peer James Pierce because of a suspension. You're gonna be without Jalen Walker. And man, you really need that scheme to do extra work this year because I don't think the players are quite there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's the I'll combine these two categories here. This something goes wrong, if it's similar to what you talked about, it's if somebody can't get after the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Walker's got the torn acl.
Speaker 4: We have no idea what James Pearce is going to be in his availability this upcoming season. Let us not forget. We'll give the Falcons credit. I'm glad that you did with Jeff Ulbrick. They were second to the NFL in team sacks last year, which I when I look that up because I kind of wanted to go this way, I was like, huh, I wonder how well they got for the quarterback. I totally forgot that they finished second in the NFL in total team sacks. But when you look at the guys who got sacks for them, ten and a half from James Pierce Junior, five and a half from Jalen Walker, you're three and a half from Kaiden nellis right. I mean like there's there's players like Ruke Roro had three and a half as well. So there's so many of those sacks that are either not there already because of free agency and they're not there, or it's just a massive unknown injury, potential suspension like whatever it is. So there's so much unknown from that sack total that they had the year before.
Speaker 3: They have to be able to get after.
Speaker 4: The quarterback, and I think the way that they're going to need to do that is by dialing up the pressure, mainly the bodies that they're going to have to throw out the line of scrimmage. Now, I think that that's a scheme dream for me because I love both of their safeties. I know that Jesse Bates dealing with a little bit of a back injury, but I'm a huge Xavier Wats fan, and I want to see more single high stuff with this team. When you look at the Browns and know it was more Jim Schwartz than it was Kevin Sefanski, but they ran the most cover one in single high looks in the NFL over the last couple of seasons. Let Xavier Watts play that single high center fielder type of role and let Jesse Bates hunt over the middle of the field. I think if you do that, you're going to be able to be happy with the results from those safeties because they've got the skill sets to do it. But also you're going to have those extra bodies to be able to throw at the quarterback the way that you need to.
Speaker 6: Now, it's great in theory, but I think looking at the rest of the NFC South, I don't know if they're going to be able to play single high very much with some of the layered receivers we've got on these other teams. But just debates is back probably hurts from carrying the team or the potential of carrying the defense this off season. That's exactly why things go wrong. If who is pressuring the quarterback? How are they scheming up pressure? What are they costing the rest of their very very talented defensive backfield by the fact that they're going to have to do rely on a lot of scheme in order to get after opposing quarterbacks this year. Jeff Ulbrich, he's made a lot with a little before. There's no reason to think that he can't do it again. But the thing that really is a more bigger picture for me of things going wrong if is the fact that they put in so many of these resources for these edge rushers who to fix their problem, and they did fix it, and then now it's yesterday's problem all over again, and their draft picks were depleted, and they could not be aggressive in their team building over the last two years because of how many resources were going toward trading up to get a second edge rusher to start, And then you know guys that aren't even going to be on the field for your second year, and you can't pay your veterans who walk in that case.
Speaker 1: They had a strange off season where you know, a lot of the good players you mentioned, some of them went away. David O Yamada is another guy who played a lot for them, and they signed a lot of depth guys. It was like a thing new gms tend to do the first year, like let's sign a lot of players who aren't necessarily going to start. But yeah, it's not a lot of juice right now at the edge, it's Samson Ebcom is still kicking around.
Speaker 2: Is probably a starter for them.
Speaker 1: My guy and Azizo Jalari's there, Cam Thomas, like Braylen Trace, the guy they drafted a few years ago. I had totally missed the fact that Brandon Dorles, a third year Day three defensive tackle, now had a and a high a and a half last year.
Speaker 2: Okay, why is he always believe?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's Ricky Morris loved him.
Speaker 1: I mean, if a second year player on a different team at defensive tackle got eight and a half sacks, they would be a much bigger star. All right, that this is this is the Falcons. They're they're a confusing team. Let's kind of bring it home here. What is your ceiling and floor? You're trying to create boundaries. Jordan, what is your boundaries for this team?
Speaker 2: Move?
Speaker 5: Well, it's for the NFC South in general. Greg. My answer will be the same for Oh, that's a cop out.
Speaker 2: You can't don't.
Speaker 6: No, No, it is not. It's eight and nine or nine and eight. That's what I'm saying. For the Atlanta Fountains.
Speaker 2: The floor is so much lower for all these teams.
Speaker 1: Maybe not the Bucks, we'll get to them, but all these teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my ceiling is my ceiling is nine and eight for this team, but the floor is much lower. I think the floor is like five and twelve for them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's right as well.
Speaker 1: That was the exact combination I believe I had was nine and eight. I actually I think it could go wrong enough that they have the number one overall pick, that they're like the three win team, that they're the worst team in the league.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's out there.
Speaker 1: I would put a and I'm a person who tries to like just recognize the multiplicity of possibilities of every season, and I think there's probably eight to ten teams I would put on that list, but the Falcons are definitely on that list.
Speaker 6: Listen, the NFC South has and the Falcons certainly have really confounded the mind before. Right, But if you have skill guys that are this good, and you have an offensive line that has tieh of a floor, I just don't think you can be that bad.
Speaker 5: I just don't.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: Listen, I think there's an argument.
Speaker 6: Falcons you have often had me in the first half. I'm not gonna lie. So this this could go terribly wrong for your girl, Jordan.
Speaker 1: I was curious how how it would look like. I didn't even know the Vegas odds until just now I thought to look it up. The Falcons are the last team in terms of over underwin total six and a half wins right now, if you took eight, because you said they're all going to get to eight, that would be the over for three.
Speaker 2: Of the teams in the division. So you're you're optimistic.
Speaker 5: All right, Let's go to another My math is always flawless.
Speaker 1: Another one of those. I will make you go one, two, three, four. At the end, you're going to pick. We're going to pick it.
Speaker 5: What balance? No time about compromise, greg.
Speaker 1: Because because last year, tie breakers are important. The Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and if they tie. If they tie, she's got to name the tiebreakers. What is it most field goals made? You know, Well, that's the thing, time spent in the opponents zone.
Speaker 5: I like them better, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, because Carolina, we would think so much differently.
Speaker 1: About them if they didn't get that tie breaker. If let's say Atlanta, who also won the same amount of games last year as Tampa and Carolina, even though they were eliminated four weeks left in the season.
Speaker 2: Never seen anything like that.
Speaker 1: Then they won four straight, ended up tying for first, and Carolina gets to go to the playoffs. But they had the same record as Atlanta and Tampa eight wins. Let's go to the Panthers. What is bringing you joy? We'll start with Trevor on this one.
Speaker 4: I think the new defensive editions brings me joy here for the Carolina Panthers, this is one of the worst teams in the NFL when it came to middle of the field coverage last year.
Speaker 3: Their linebacker unit just straight up was not good enough.
Speaker 4: And you infused that with Devin Lloyd, who was one of the best in the league last season and has been throughout the course of his career. Going through his rookie contract. I think just over all the new defensive editions though, like what Jalen Phillips could be for Derek Brown, I think he's going to be really huge for them. But specifically, I just think that those two big new additions. I love that Carolina just took the big swings.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 3: Like these were two of the biggest names in free agency.
Speaker 4: I loved the Carolina came away with both of them, and it's a good thing they did, honestly, Like with s Gordon going down for the year and them just being a little bit banged up already, like they're really going to have to be on top of things on defense, and I think that they really addressed their two biggest needs. They've already got some good young guys in the secondary who are either established or coming along, so you feel good about it there, but that middle of the field defense had to be so much better than it was the year before. So what brings me joy about this team is that they were aggressive in free agency. They looked at the fact that they won the division. They said, no, no, no, this wasn't luck to us. We didn't look at this as oh Tampa Bay Blewett or anything like that, Like, we won this division and they want to keep taking steps forward. They want to win it again this year, and I think they put their money where their mouth was. So that's a joyous thing whenever a team could do.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 6: And let's stay on defense here for a minute, maybe if it spans even across categories, because I love that you pick this. I thought the blueprint, the outside corners JC Horn and Mike Jackson played so well, as did you know that secondary staff and Agiro Evro Jonathan Cooley like got raised the floor of their safeties, I think, and particularly in the deep part of the field. I'm not talking about the intermediate middle, where they were kind of a disaster, but the outside corners and sort of that shell over the back of the defense was so solid, and particularly those perimeter corners were so good, especially down the back stretch of the season, that it actively like shone a massive floodlight over everywhere else that they needed to fix this defense in order to be more compatible with the level of play they were getting out of their corners. It was the run defense, like you said, Trevor's the middle of the field. It was getting better in the pass rush. My sort of hand in hand with all of that which I loved that they did. I agree with you is that things go wrong if right, and skipping right to this, if this corners regress right, because corner play is not always as sticky as we would like it to be in terms of year over year, and the variance there and the injuries being more of a factor than even the major factor that we see them to be already with Nick Gorton being hurt, and if Devin Lloyd is not the player that he was in Jacksonville, yea, you know, the lee Hunter. Their rookie is going to be asked to do a lot against the run early on, and Derek Brown needs to be freed up to get that pass penetration and to affect the run pocket as well, because a lot of teams are going to run it right up the middle at them or around the side that Nick Gorton previously was.
Speaker 5: So I really feel like that is it's so.
Speaker 6: Much hope and optimism, and I loved the plan that they went about, and that's my things go wrong if is if those guys, if the plan is not what it what we all thought it would be because everybody they brought in maybe is not what.
Speaker 5: They thought they would be.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I had Lloyd as my most important on quarterback. To me, he is kind of the skeleton key that unlocks this I'm a big believer in Lloyd. I think the come up started in twenty twenty four with the Jaguars. He's a playmaker. He's aggressive, like a small red flag. I don't know what's the color between, you know, maybe an orange colors flag. That the Jaguars were so disinterested in resigning him, really didn't even make him an offer, and yet like if he makes it happen, it can all work. They're trying to figure out the other linebacker spot. And that is kind of what it was. Very connected to what you said in terms of what's bringing me joy of this team is just it's an all vibes team. And they also did that like Dave Canalis's you know hero in football is Pete Carroll and he does He's done a great job of making them greater than the sum of their parts and getting the vibes and and the fact that it's year three of this regime with the front office and him and that they went for it and put their chips down.
Speaker 2: Is why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, Lloyd is so important for their defense. Who do you have as your most important non quarterback?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, to me, it's the tackles, right because Taylor Moten, even though he's working a little bit off to the side, which is great, because he's dealing with the blood clots issues and that was that's really scary. It was he was describing it on social media as an embolism, so in his lung and they what they like to do, and Allie Connelly did a great job educating all of us on this last season. If they want to continue playing that spread out eleven personnel, the tackles have to be able to move in space and really block isolation like that in a way that's very athletic. And Monroe Freeling coming in right away instead of competing for a position their rookie first round pick, instead of competing for a position, you know, on either side, specifically with she'd Walker.
Speaker 5: Over on the left side.
Speaker 6: Both of those guys are going to have to play immediately, including Rashid Walker is gonna have to stay healthy until ikeyakwan Wu can come back from his injury. And perhaps compete with him on that side. It's going to be so interesting to me. And with the joyfulness in my opinion that Bryce Young has been approaching camp with and the reports that he's just having a tastic camp, especially more clarity in the receiver's room, those tackles become the absolutely most important non quarterback particularly I think freeling becomes the most important on quarterback on this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they that is my things go wrong if like the O line feels a little bit like a house of cards. They're counting a lot on Luke Fortner at center, who you know, mixed reviews from his time with the Saints. I know they were happy when he filled in, but you have a lot of injury even just looking at their injury important camp, like right now, Damian Lewis is out, Robert Hunt is out. They the whole point of this Panthers build, And this is where I think the front office had to be disappointed with parts of last year was they were supposed to be like a tough team upfront that could run the ball, and they're one of the worst running teams in the NFL, and yet they're so run heavy, And that's part of my scheme dream too.
Speaker 2: It's all over the place here at Trevor.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you think of what's best for Bryce, but it's whether like, yeah, they will embrace like playing a little more tempo, spreading it out, playing fast. It's a crime to me. They were thirty first in pace last year. They were one of the slowest teams in the NFL. But they did start to play an empty they did start to go to the RPOs. They were a little more static, like kind of a Joe burrow ish style by the end of the year. And I think Bryce for the most part, rewarded them in the big games. He prevented turnover worthy plays, he prevented sacks, and I think that's the best Bryce. But like, does canalist want to work that way? Does that work with the entire rest of the offensive build?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I agree with Jordan one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I think the mirror feeling is probably the most important non quarterback for the exact reasons that she mentioned. You have the injuries to both offensive tackles. Right now, this is a rookie coming in and you're asking, and not just a rookie.
Speaker 3: He was a true junior when he came out.
Speaker 4: So I mean, like he is a young player, one year full time starter when he was at Georgia. So yeah, he's got all the tools, but he might have to be out there week one, you know, and so I think that that's a tough ask for any rookie. So I think he becomes really really important. I did like the power run game from this team when they went to it and when all those guys on the interior were hell the last year. But it's got to continue, obviously, So I think that that's, you know, the things go wrong if the obvious one is with Bryce, right, like if Bryce sort of is the same or a little bit more up and down, like, it doesn't work, like he really has to take that next step. But other than that, I do think it's the offensive line. I will note this just because I wanted to say it, because Greg, you were talking about the Jags. I was also very surprised at how little sort of they cared about losing Devin Lloyd and like not making an offer for him. Gladstone does come from the Rams, and the Rams don't prioritize the linebacker at all whatsoever. I mean, like they had undrafted free agent Omar Space start like sixteen games for them, where we're just like nah, yeah, no, you're good to go, and he was like, fine, you know, like you they scouted them very well, But that's one of those positions that like.
Speaker 3: From that regime, I kind of wonder.
Speaker 4: If they think that they can just out scout sort of like the position a little bit. So maybe I'm just saying this all of this to make myself feel better about Devin Lloyd hitting the ground running, but I have to Yeah, I have to cope a little bit here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They that team famously did not prioritize linebackers and can tell it became way too late and they had no choice and then they paid one this year and everyone was like, hang on, they did what now?
Speaker 5: Because they haven't they hadn't be in so many years.
Speaker 6: I love that point, and I think too the run game in the pass game have to just feel like a more complete outfit this year from this team. They have to feel like they make better sense together. When I mentioned clarity in the receiver's room, you know, I love Ted McMillan and Jalen Coker as the headliners here. I want to see more from Tommy trumble, you know, very limited as a you know, as a pass catcher.
Speaker 5: I think he has the ability.
Speaker 6: There were a couple of moments watching him last year where he's got wide open space all around him, and I would like him to see him to see him be a more viable option in this past game. And Xavier Leget obviously we say we've said this every year for the last couple of years, and I think every year we hear a lot of positive things about him, you know, kind of progressing in camp and ready to really make an impact, and I want to see it.
Speaker 5: I really want to see it.
Speaker 6: And I think with Bryce, you know, we should know Brad Idzick is going to be calling plays for the first time here.
Speaker 5: Well that's a big one instead of Dave Canalis.
Speaker 6: And that is absolutely huge to me because of how big of a year it is for Bryce Young specifically, and the continued like development of clarity in all of the players around him, basically saying, all right, Bryce, you got your you got at least the three deeper receivers, you got a tight end. This play caller is going to try to set up stuff that you like and show us what you got for me I'm a Bryce believer.
Speaker 1: I have to see it, and I kind of like that based on what I was talking about with Canalis. Always felt like he's had a hard time maybe almost fully committee into the Bryce style and he's gone back and forth, and you know, I mentioned how they built this team to be like a power rushing team and down the stretch at least last season they were one of the worst teams, and yet Canalis was so stubb about it. They were I think second in the league in just like percentage of running the ball. It's not like they were leading like a ton of games and like runs and neutral situations. It's all at the very top, even though like they couldn't get it done. So maybe maybe it'll be good for Bryce to have like a different play caller on game day and canals and kind of you just be the vibes and control the whole team, because I think he's done a great job with that. This I feel like I've come off a little negative because I see the roster holes here, but they are another team with a lot of variants. I already know what the answer is for Jordan's you know, potential wins and losses here at Trevor, where do you go for like the ceiling and the floor of this team.
Speaker 4: So the ceiling this is this is the most high variance team to me in the division. Okay, I think the ceiling is like ten and seven. Like, I think that this team can get to double digit wins. I think they could win the division. Again, they don't have an international game, they have an early bye week, Like, I think that the schedule is pretty decent for them. But the floor is like, you know, again, if Bryce regresses, if the offensive line takes a big step back, if the receivers don't manifest, like, all of these things could potentially happen. I think the floor is like four and thirteen. Like, I think that that this team has a big variance of where they could be and so I could see a double digit win team, but I could also see something like four or five wins with them.
Speaker 6: Trevor, I wanted to ask you, you know, this front office has restructured over the last couple of years, and they think about things in terms of a lot of the modern teams analytically driven. They're very progressive. They think about resources, depreciation of resources. If this team is tracking toward like like that floor that you mentioned. Do you think they become big time trade market people?
Speaker 3: So what do you trademarket people in terms of, like I get.
Speaker 6: Ahead of the deadline if they're trending poorly. Do you think they say, you know what.
Speaker 2: Look for our next quarterback? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I actually I actually don't.
Speaker 4: Like I think I don't disagree with anything that you said, because I think you set it up exactly right. But I kind of look at this team, and I look at it not only from like the front office perspective, but also like ownership perspective too, Like I think they're coming off of.
Speaker 3: A division win.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like winning that division, and I just don't see them being heavy sellers of the day unless it goes catastrophically.
Speaker 5: Run we're takin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think almost all scenarios are just kind of like, let's play the year out. From a Canalist perspective, from a Brice perspective, from where we are with our current roster perspective. I just think that they're going to let it play out more than be major sellers of the deadline they have.
Speaker 6: It's going to be an interesting push and pull regardless because if they finish where I think everybody here is going to finish, which is about the same again, and nobody's broken through yet, and especially this team is not broken through yet. I'm very interested in what the internal push and pull is going to be about. Hey, we're here, we built this, We're back to being competitive, not just on a roster level, but in terms of our organizational infrastructure too, and scouting and all of that. How do we push to the next one. I think that there's gonna be some itchiness in there for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the Bryce Young long term question is a big one.
Speaker 5: So we know you're you're I'm a Brice believer.
Speaker 1: Any tickets, Susan, Oh my god, it could be Kenny Pickketts season.
Speaker 2: They do open with.
Speaker 3: The no no, no, no, hold on. We watched we all watched the Hall of Fame game. No Hanes King baby.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like, if everything, if everything goes worst case scenarios for the Carolina Panthers, at least we know no Brad Idzick can click it up with Haines.
Speaker 1: I Mean, here's the thing though, They that their floor is yeah, picking number one overall again just because they're the cursed injured team and we've tried to ignore injuries when doing feeling for but man, it's spin a brutal camp and I was going through it this morning too, and it's like, I know, it's probably just a minor camp injury, but it's like Damien Lewis is out and Robert Hunt is out and for now at least, like Derek Brown is out. And then you have this great Haines Kang story and he got he hurts his hamstring on the game winning play, and so it's like, is this team just a little curse. They do have the Falcons and Browns in their first three weeks, so those are those are winnable road games, and they have a very early buy to get off to a fast start. Okay, that is the Panthers. We already did the Falcons. I disagreed with just one thing that Trevor said about the high variance team in this division. To me, the highest variance team is coming up right after the break. Also, we're giving rankings now for each of these shows.
Speaker 2: I'm in last place right now.
Speaker 1: Trevor and Jordan are tied right now for second, but Trevor's dog is winning the show so far.
Speaker 2: Back in a few.
Speaker 1: Back on NFL Daily talked about the potential high variance team. I think that's the New Orleans Saints, and it would have been sad if we forgot them during our division preview episode.
Speaker 2: But Trevor, we had.
Speaker 1: A bad case of doing thirty one out of thirty two teams for different exercises this offseason, like twice we forgot the Saints. So look, the Saints have over indexed twice on this program. I want to talk about it on this program.
Speaker 2: If you go on you guys kid, Yeah, and once was me, once was Jordan.
Speaker 5: So you know, separate occasions.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's amazing, it's pathetic, and it's also weird because I if I went back and looked at the amount of time we've spent talking about each team, Patriots are probably number one, you know, Saints are probably number two. You know, this is a team, Like I said, I always have a soft spot for or a hate when they're hatable, which they're no longer. With Kellen Moore and Tyler Shuck. The deadis Allen Era was tough. But what's bringing me joy is that Kellen Moore and Tyler Schuck they just feel right for each other. They come in together, they both grew up. I think together as a as you know, as a head coach, and then certainly as a rookie quarterback last year. And I'll get into why I think they're so high variants. But this often, specifically to me, is Boomer Buss. But if you had told me a year ago there would be a world when I'd go into this season and I would think, yeah, I think there's a path to this being a top eight to ten offense. Like what a crazy year it has been for the Saints, So that that high hope, that ceiling.
Speaker 2: And I'll explain why I late you know that gets me going.
Speaker 6: I have to say, I think that their floor that you're considering, or they're the bottom part of their variants, is actually higher.
Speaker 5: In my estimation.
Speaker 1: It's mostly just they have over index and injured guys.
Speaker 5: Sure, that's yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 6: We were trying not to factor that in as much in this exercise.
Speaker 5: But for me, the thing that.
Speaker 6: I could maybe still nitpick Tyler shuck Over. I loved him in the draft. I gave you a lot of hell for that, Greg, I know, but watching him play last year at the end of last season was really fun. He did take a lot of sacks. When he takes sex, he just gets nailed for me, bringing me joy. And also one of my most important non quarterback players on this team is Travis Chen and I think that because he can catch the ball as well as he can, he's giving Tyler Schuck that middle distance. And when I say middle distance, I'm not saying intermediate routes or anything like that, but sort of that like step between throwing the ball the hell down the field to one of these great receivers and just dumping it down and saving yourself and not holding onto the ball to take those sacks, avoiding those negative plays in that facet, because I think he can be incredibly efficient when you don't use when you don't factor in the sacks, and that's what Travis Hn to me is partially therefore, not just to stabilize and give clarity to their run game, which could use the help, but also in the passing game as that as an outlet player who can mitigate pressure. He caught the ball very well in Jacksonville last year and he had six receiving touchdowns, So I really think that this is a needed element, not just for Tyler Shuck to continue his development, but also to like have a little bit more of that like underneath engine power in this offense, run and pass.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna round out the entire offense here with what brings me joy because it's krisol.
Speaker 3: Lave and Jordan Tyson.
Speaker 4: Like if you guys, you know, close your guys and think about those social media graphics with those five, like five people on it, that goes who's stopping this offense? That's how I feel about Tyler Schuck, Kellen Moore, Travis a Chan. But to me, Chris o'lave and Jordan Tyson I think are just two unbelievably talented wide receivers that put so much stress on the defense because Chris o'lave at his best, Sure, there are some teams out there in the NFL that have cornerbacks that can hang with Chris Olave, But how many cornerbacks, how many teams in the NFL have cornerbacks that can hang with Chris o'lave and Jordan Tyson when he's performing as good as he possibly can. I know he's been banged up throughout his college career, and sert of durability has been an issue for him up to this point, but when he is fully healthy. We saw it at Arizona State and we've already seen it through some training camp clips as well. So this guy is so unbelievably tough to cover when he gets those free releases, when he can put his foot in the ground and change direction Like few wide receivers I've seen over the last couple of years. He was my top wide receiver in this draft. I hadn't landed in a great spot and I just feel as though Kellen Moore is going to absolutely cook with these guys. So if they can stay healthy on the offensive side of the ball, this is a This is an offense that can carry you.
Speaker 3: This is an offense that can carry you to double digit wins.
Speaker 4: I'm really really excited for it, and that combination specifically brings me joy with this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyson's my most important on quarterback because to me, he knocks everyone down a peg in a great way on the offense. I saw Nick Underhill, who I really respect who covers the Saints, said like he could see a scenario watching Tyson. And he's been healthy in camp, which has been great to see. Like being the best player on the team at some point this season, and I agree, if there's a world where that happens. And then Juwan Johnson and Vley and we talked about Barry and Brown on our last show. It was just like, you know, these depth pieces, these extra Alvin Kamara, I'm never giving you up man, like he's still the third down guy, Like he's gonna be there on passing downs. And he's reportedly having a good camp, a little more motive, like he could help knock all those guys down with an offensive line that has some ceiling. And that's where I get to the point of like, yeah, I think that's like a top eight to ten offense.
Speaker 2: Well, m'd be over my skis a little bit.
Speaker 6: I mean, but the way that we've seen Tyler Schuck throw the football and likes to throw the football and trust his receivers he had last year already, I worry a little bit. I'm curious, you know, I Trevor. I know you do a lot of scouting of draft prospects, and Jordan Tyson played enough in the slot to make me really interested in what he can do as a power slot at the NFL level. And the mismatches that that that brings where that does concern me. Is Kellen Moore like showed no regard for Devon Vele across the middle, so like, I don't want him to be hit on those right, I'd like him to stay healthy durability wise, So I think good balance there probably.
Speaker 1: To strike yeah suck. Yeah, was awesome over the intermediate part of the field. He did not like he was one of the least effective deep ball throwers in the league. People watching SAMs can't said they're not even trying going like deep down the field, So that is something to watch that. It's been a lot shorter for scheme Dream. I mean I wrote the same name I'm gonna do. Okay, the biggest Brandon Staley fan, the.
Speaker 5: Stalely Sons is back.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say a bad word, but the Staley Sons is back. Okay, here's the thing you guys have to go. I know we're all fans of him here on this show, but my friend Cody Alexander, Now I'm talking.
Speaker 5: About Cody Olo.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, are fans of him on this show? Go read his piece in Match Quarters, where, in awesome detail, he explains how Brandon Staley did something that very few teams did regularly last season, especially with the increase of heavy personnel twelve personnel and thirteen personnel, so either two tight ends or three tight ends on the field last season. That is going to continue to permeate across the league this year. Brandon Saley played bait. He played in his three to four base and he continued to have his split field coverages behind it, meaning one coverage on one side of the field and another coverage on the other side of the field. And he basically said, you can run against us in heavy personnel, you can pass against us in heavy personnel. But because I can stay in base and have heavier guys come stop the run, and his linebackers that have really come along and some of the big slots that he's been playing for, you know at safety, and we also are going to continue to keep my coverage is funky because his defense has always been a coverage focused group. That is something that teams are going to copy all across the league this year because it worked. That defense went from number twenty eight and DVA to start the year was about the middle of the NFL. Halfway through the year, and then in the last quarter of games ranked number three in Dvoa defensively and finished in number thirteen. I'm high on this defense. I'm high on the Chase Young assance as well. Jonas Sinker was one of my guys last year year, justin Reid being there, Koloid McKinstry. It's all to me, really really high potential to continue to evolve the way that they were last year, and really I think once again teams seeing this and starting to copy again things that this defensive coordinator is doing.
Speaker 1: The only thing that concerns me with Staley is like Kenny, stay a step ahead and continue to evolve. But they did coach up the defense. Well do you think they have the horses driver?
Speaker 3: I think that's that's a big question, right.
Speaker 4: Like, First of all, I love that Jordan brought up Sanker because I thought he was excellent last year, asked to do a lot of different things. I was a pretty big fan of his when he was coming out. I felt as though he was being a little bit slept on in that safety class, and they used him in a variety of different ways. He was playing very fast, very confidently, and I love what they can do with him in the nickel. I think that when you talk about guys who can stay in base defense a lot of times is because you have these players who can play a couple of different roles, right like your base could be you know, if you have you have a slot defender that you love or a safety that you love, like sometimes like they can actually play at that second level since it's kind of like you're in base but you have a little bit of speed there still, so you have to have that versatility and kind of to Greg's question about having the horses, that's my big question of like things go wrong if with this team if the defensive line can't be more disruptive. Now, they finished last year eleventh in sacks, but just twenty sixth in total pressure, So the consistency wasn't there for this team. It's largely the same exact group. Brian berziz out, you're plugging Christian Miller in you drat And I love Christian Miller, but like the reason why I love Christian Miller is he's a run defender. Like and I remember even in a scouting report, a lot of people were like, well, he's not the greatest pass rusher. I was like, I don't care. He's a great run defender, but like for this team specifically, they kind of need some one pass rushers. So somebody's got to be able to get after the quarterback and create that disruption consistently. Chase Young obviously had that the renaissance. I can't remember the term that that Jordan creatively used there for Chase.
Speaker 5: Youong, we've been doing Siza, We've been doing son Okay.
Speaker 1: There, we've had assance aside.
Speaker 3: Okay, that one was good. That got me.
Speaker 4: But somebody else has to get after the quarterback or create consistent pressures outside of just Chase Young. So that to me is is definitely the things go wrong if for me it's on that defensive side of the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Cam Jordan has a hamstring injury.
Speaker 1: By the time you guys hear this, maybe we'll have more news on it. The tone Kellen Moore had sounded to me like it was like a best case scenario, we'll see him at the beginning of the regular season.
Speaker 5: Ever changed his tone though, that's fair.
Speaker 1: That's he also avoids answering questions he's he's grown up, though I think I think he's getting better. He's a little less like this is an older it's an older we all grow up. Yeah, it's I helped that was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I don't I don't know how. I don't know how strong a statement that was there. Technically I get older every year.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm saying he looked uncomfortable being a head coach for a while last year, and then I think he kind of, you know, grew into his comfort in his own skin, you know. I mean it was like uncomfortable to watch those press conferences with Kellen Moore when they ask him something and he doesn't want to lie, and then he just like kind of fritzes out and it's just like a screen of death. But as a human, like they got it's very Mickey Loomis this offseason that they decided to get younger at linebacker by getting rid of the Mario Davis and then they get Kaden Ellis, right, so like five years younger, but he's still thirty two, and like Perci's gone, and I like Jonah Sanker, but if he's you know, covering your guy one on one, which you got to do sometime in the slot, and then the secondary's okay. The past like it's a lot of okay, and the scheme hopefully makes up for it, but I do.
Speaker 2: Wonder if they have the more.
Speaker 4: I understand why this is your biggest variance team listening to you talk about the defense like that, because I'm I'm high. I'm just higher on the defense than you are. And I think that's why, Yeah, my ceiling floors.
Speaker 5: I am too. I know you couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: I know well to me, and to me, it's also like Eric McCoy is either a Pro Bowl caliber center or is what he actually has been, which is not available, Like he hasn't been available for four years consistently, so there's no real reason based on that to think he'll be available. Caesar Ruiz is a guy who would not be on the team if they hadn't given him a regrettable contract. Fuaga and Banks could be one of the best young tackle groups in the league. Fugaga has had a lot of injuries, and then Olave and Tyson.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot of variants. Even Shuck going back to.
Speaker 1: His college, it just feels like ceiling floor, ceiling floor.
Speaker 2: It's all over the place.
Speaker 1: So to me, I think they could be as crazy as like an eleven win team and the floor is Yeah, they're back in last place, so as like a five or six win team.
Speaker 6: One last thing I want to say is that Greg, you and I always talk about scheme meeting players and players meeting scheme, and your point about can Brandon Staley continue to stay ahead is absolutely a good one. My theory and what I'll posit here is he already got ahead, and because he has a player like Jona Sanker in the slot the way that other teams are going to try to deploy their their buffalo nickel, essentially this year, he is already ahead and it's the players now that bring it to life, and certainly with the coverage principles as well. And I think that's why I'm a lot higher on the I guess the variants are lack thereof to me of this defense this year. You know my ceiling and floor already, But I do think that this is probably it's to me a sleeper best team in the NFC South for me.
Speaker 4: I have the ceiling at eleven and six and I have the floor at eight and nine.
Speaker 2: Like I just don't.
Speaker 4: I don't see this team really failing now. Whether they win the division or not, we'll see, But specifically when you look at their schedule from week three to week ten. Okay, there's seven games in between. Are there's seven weeks in between there they're at home for five of those seven weeks, one of them is an international game and the other week is.
Speaker 3: A bye week.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that stretch could be huge for that team if they nail it, if they if they go into like week ten and they're and hear it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like six and two or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know math all the top I have, but like if they like look like juggernauts in the division, that might be able to carry them through a tougher second half of the season. But yeah, I think the floor is pretty high for this team. I just have a lot of faith in what Keltmore's.
Speaker 2: I like the optimism. They are predicted.
Speaker 1: You know that they're favored to be second place, but the Bucks being in first. It's not a huge gap. It's a division where like you would take the field over any particular team, That's what the numbers are telling you. So it's not a huge gap between the Bucks and the Saints, or between the Saints and the Panthers. But they are sort of expected the Saints to come in second, which you know leaves the Bucks in an interesting time in their development.
Speaker 2: Like it's like.
Speaker 1: A lot on them this year, and yet I do think they have the most talent in the division. What's bringing you joy about this team right now?
Speaker 2: Jordan?
Speaker 6: Chris Godwin back in the year two after the gruesome, gruesome injury and subsequent recovery, Chris Godwin, Trevor, I'll loop you in on this too, and I know you know you're so knowledgeable about the Bucks in general. Chris Godwin's probably about as my guy as a player has ever been in the NFL.
Speaker 5: He's the first player I ever watched.
Speaker 6: Film with when I was covering college football, Like taught me a lot Like he I want good things for him and the fact that he is now putting more distance behind him and his back without Mike Gevins here, he should become the featured player. I also was the co founder of the Emmica at boot Club and really hoping for a bounce back from the end of the season for him, maybe with less on his plate than he had last season. I just think more clarity and featured roles for these two guys that is bringing me joy. I hope that Chris Godwin can get back to being the f player in this offense. F you know, stands for a lot of things, but to me also funnels the entire offense through this guy. And I really really feel like Chris Godwin at his best is capable of doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even during last season it felt like he had more juice. But by the end of it, but you're absolutely right, like how important he is? What's bringing you joy about this Bucks team? You're box Trevor be real.
Speaker 4: Ruben Bain Junior number fifteen overall, how does this happen? Honestly, this is what's bringing me joy because I'll be honest, like there are some things to be happy about, sort of like on the defensive side of the football. I'll dig into some of these other ones in these different categories that we talk about. But if you take Ruby Bain Junior off of this team, I don't think it's that scary, right, And you're talking about a team with the defensive head coach and Todd Bowles, like it's all about the defense needs to be up to a certain standard, like they already could not get after the passer last year. If they did not, I don't want to say this like take away from the intel and the scouting department did, but like if they don't luck into Ruben Bain Junior in the middle of the draft, like I don't know where this team would be when it comes to getting after the passer and the outlook for it this upcoming year. So to me, with him now on that defensive line, you have so many different possibilities and that brings me into sort of like a scheme dream if we're talking about the defensive side of the ball, Like, well, I guess I'll just rope all. My most important non quarterback is Vitavea. You can't trade him. They're not going to trade him, Like it's just it's not gonna happen without him. None of this works because you have a smaller defensive tackle in Klidjacansi, who you have to have more from this year from an availability standpoint and just an overall.
Speaker 3: Like he's got to take the next step type of the standpoint.
Speaker 4: You have obviously Ruben Bain Junior, who's a bigger defensive end, but you kind of kick him a little bit inside outside. He doesn't have that length that everybody talked about ad nauseum throughout the draft. And then the sleeper is David Walker, who is from Central Arkansas, a sack master when he was in college who tore his acl.
Speaker 3: Or here's achilles.
Speaker 4: I can't remember exactly which one it was, but we missed the entire year. Last year he's back and according to all practice reports, he's tearing it up every single day. I don't know if this is still a streak today, but at one point he had a sack in nine straight practices for them over the last week.
Speaker 3: And a half.
Speaker 4: So my scheme dream is getting to a point where Todd Bowles loves to be creative and how he throws pressure at you. Basically, the only one who has more exotic blitzes and different types of blitzes is Brian Flores.
Speaker 3: It's basically just.
Speaker 4: The Vikings and the Bucks that have been one to the last two or three years. So the scheme dream is getting to a point where if you have Vitavea in the middle and he's still the Vitavea that you know him to be, you can have Yaya Diavi, David Walker, Reuben Bain Junior, Colijah Cansi all on the field at the same time and just tell them go. And I just don't know many offensive lines in the league that are able to handle that sort of chaos. So to me, is setting this team up in whatever way you need to to be able to have that sort of defensive line unleashed on offensive lines throughout the season, because I think a variety of that, but also those guys on the field at the same time could make this defense again a very i'll say mysterious, and I mean that is a terrifying way if you're an offensive coordinator, type of way that we didn't see over the last couple of seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they could be dynamic on all three levels of the defense. We'll see about linebacker with Josiah Trider, but that was what's bringing me joy too, is like that. I mean, is there a defensive line, especially at the edge position, that you had like taken a like a big barroom brawl over this group. I mean you throw al Kaheim Mohammad and it's like the fourth or third guy. I mean, this group is so much deeper and better and I want to see the bulls asance that the first time I've actually used sans in that way on the round the NFL show was because of the Bulls of sants with the Bucks. You know, he's coming back from the Jets and he was the coordinator for the Bucks and I just loved watching him. And it's been a minute. I don't need to tell you this as a Bucks fan, Trevor. Since they've had a difference making defense, I went and looked at it. I couldn't believe it. They've been averaged the last four years or five years. The last time they had a top ten DVOA defense was the last time they won the Super Bowl. Like it's it's been a while, and yet I do I think the ceiling of this defense is quite high. I'm really excited to watch it. I think Bulls has the right mix of players. So you did some you know, most important on quarterback there with Vita Vea. Who do you got for that category?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna be kind of the variance downer here, guys, cause mine is also goes into like my scheme dream slash, big question mark Zach Robinson is to me. And when I say most important, I'm hoping for the Bucks, that means it's a good thing. I don't know for sure if that is a good thing. What I would really like for Zach Robinson to do is call up his buddy Liam Cohen and ask if he can borrow that twenty twenty four Tampa Bay Buccaneers run game and see, hey, I would really like to add more diversity in my run game than I just showed with one of the best players in football in Jon Robinson. In twenty twenty four. Not only do the Bucks have a top five run game and success rate, but the most important thing to me was that they were They had really good inside and outside run game balance, like their frequency rates. It wasn't totally split evenly, but it was close enough to where you don't really know. They're not giving you tells directionally or conceptually which way they're going to go with this. And then with all of that, they were third an explosive run rate. So to me, those two things are absolutely key to getting this entire offense back to what we expect it to be, what its highest version of itself will be. And to not put it all on Baker Mayfield's arm, which as much as I love Baker Mayfield and will stand by him on this show until you put me in the ground.
Speaker 5: Greg Baker, Ball, Keith Side rolling Bene. You cannot put it.
Speaker 6: You cannot put it all on his arm. It is too streaky of an arm to put it all on his arm. And so for me, Zach Robinson is sort of the metaphorical figure of all of that. But it's a lot of different ideas and one.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's the fourth coordinator for Baker in as many years now. And Zach Robinson's also the you know, the offensive coordinator he was with the Falcon So it's you know, in the division he moves over. Didn't necessarily think he was going to get a job he did. They're talking about a lot of outside zone, as Jordan was saying, like they're going to major in that. Do they have a second tight end they can really trust to execute all this? Did they play some like more spread like they did with Atlanta last year? What are you thinking about the Zach Robinson Baker marriage here, Trevor.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's I think it could be fine, Like I think like, I think it could be good.
Speaker 1: Honest, the side too, I think it could be fine. Is not what you want if you're a Bucks fan.
Speaker 4: The problem The problem is is is exactly what Jordan talked about. Mayfield's variance has gone with him throughout his entire NFL career, and it was no greater than last year. Through the first six weeks of this season, he was an MVP candidate. We were talking about Baker Mayfield being the front runner for m v P five and six weeks into the season, they walked into Seattle and beat the Seahawks, Right, I mean, like, this is this is a team that was that was that was so good at the beginning of the of the year. But then at Pro Football Focus there was an an accuracy stat forquarterbacks, uncatchable inaccurate passes. It was all accuracy was sort of like divided into these four different categories, but the worst of them was uncatchable inaccurate passes. So obviously you can understand how bad a pass is to be categorized like that. Baker led the NFL in uncatchable inaccurate passes in the second half of the season.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 4: So how do you go from being an MVP candidate in the first six weeks of the year to quite literally the most inaccurate, consistent starting quarterback in the league. That's the thing is is the right offensive coordinator for the Buccaneers is simply the one that has more good Baker Mayfield than.
Speaker 2: Bad and he's coaching the Jaguars right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well he is, unfortunately, and he's the one who was able to unlock that the most. And I think Zach Robinson has the potential to be a good match for Baker Mayfield. The big sigh is just because throughout his entire career, Mayfield has been so up and down outside of with one coach, and that coach is obviously, like you mentioned, on the Jags now. So it's truly a I don't know what it takes to the scheme, I don't know what it takes to the tempo, whatever it is. It's just getting in his ear and making him the better version of Mayfield than the bad version of Mayfield. And that's sort of as simply as I could put it.
Speaker 1: It is a lot went into that. Obviously, he was hurt by the end of the year. The offensive line was hurt, the receivers were hurt. There were reasons for it. I don't think he ever was nearly as good as an MVP can. I was making that argument because in all those games, like he would struggle for three like you got the variants in the game, and then he turned it on at the end.
Speaker 5: None of us was making the MVP argument, right.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, but like that was a big, a big storyline and everything. But yeah, you just need a bit of a steadier thing. And Baker's part of my things go wrong. If it's just a team that's had a lot of expectations, that's been at a certain point, could they be a little bit of the opposite of the Panthers here where the vibes go wrong because of the expectations and the pressure, and that Vita Vea one of the most important players on the team, Baker Mayfield one of the most important players on the team.
Speaker 2: You know, are in contract situations.
Speaker 1: You have Cody Mak who's is important too, and ya Yaddabi who are also in contract.
Speaker 2: I'm making my free agency list.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of bucks here at near the top of that list league wide, and so I do think there could be something ineffable, Jordan that just like sinks this team a little bit, that that you couldn't really put like they could be less than the sum of their parts.
Speaker 6: Potentially, you have the Saints as your highest variance team here in this discussion today. To me, the Bucks are because we saw it last year. Honestly. I mean we saw steady improvement even from the Falcons, who were chaotic at the beginning of the year. Their defense really carried them down the stretch, and some of their skill guys really stood out. Panthers seriously improved, especially through the back half and into their little playoff run. The Saints improved, the Bucks like cratered one minute. And so that for me, you know, as much as I want to see the Bucks be successful because I love this team, I love how they're built. I trust this front office to draft and develop. But man, the variance to me is off the charts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they could be really good. You know, we didn't have time to even like hit. They have some really exciting young players. Jacob Parrish probably going to play a little bit more on the outside, looked really good. Kyanti Scott's like a fun rookie. It's sneaky even though it's a win now type of team. They have a lot of good young talent, and so that's why they are my pick to win the division. I will put their ceiling I put the Saints at eleven. Could the Bucks get to twelve wins with this schedule?
Speaker 5: That's going to hurt you to say it.
Speaker 1: I think they are ceilings about the same actually as the Saints, but I think they're the team that is going to win the division.
Speaker 2: At eleven, I have them as the much higher floor though.
Speaker 1: I think they're like a an eight or nine win to eleven wins.
Speaker 6: Honest question, because I didn't look this up and I should have win. The last time NFC South team was an eleven win team, was it that.
Speaker 5: Super Bowl year?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Because they I think the the year after the Super Bowl was actually their best teams, like the regular season, so that would have been that would have been both of those teams. Though, while eleven and thirteen, that's a good point. The Bucks have not even though they won all those divisions, they were not getting open pretty good. What do you got, Trevor, Trevor, it's tough when it's your team because sometimes you're harder on your own team.
Speaker 2: But let's let's hear it.
Speaker 4: No, I give them the same ceiling as the Saints. It's eleven and six. I think I don't know if they can get to twelve the floor, I have them at six and eleven, and you're looking at a major like Mayfield's gone, Bulls is gone, You're you're you're moving on from some of those free agents like you probably mentioned. But I will say this about the Bucks. Their schedule does I think lend itself to them. If you want to look at sort of who they're playing and when they're playing it. I like Tampa schedule the most. They're at Cincinnati to start the season, which objectively is flown up against that Bengals team, but then they're at home for three straight games in the months of September and October when it is hot in Tampa Bay, let me tell you, and they are playing up North team Cleveland, up North team, Minnesota, up North team Green Bay. So good like Minnesota and Green Bay obviously good teams, but they're coming down. They're having to play Tampa in the heat there to start the season, and then it's sort of basically just away.
Speaker 3: Game, home game, away game, home game.
Speaker 4: For most of the rest of the season, and you have a middle of the season by week in week ten, you then get the Saints twice out of your last four games of the season.
Speaker 3: If you think New Orleans is going to be that team.
Speaker 4: So, like, I just think if you're looking at X factors here, like if it's close between all these teams, the Saints, the Bucks, the Panthers, I think the schedule lends itself to Tampa coming out on top because of how things are shaking out.
Speaker 2: I'm bumping out my ceiling for the Bucks. So let's go. Let's go to twelve.
Speaker 3: I agree seventeen to zero seems realistic.
Speaker 1: There because in my heart I do believe it. I do think there is a route and the schedule's not easy. You get the AFC North out of division, you get the Rams out of division late in the season too, you get the NFC North, which is really balanced. So my division prediction is Bucks one, Saints two, Panthers, three Falcons four, which is pretty chalky.
Speaker 2: What do you got, Trevor, got it? You gotta do it. We're holding it, holding you to all right?
Speaker 3: Bucks?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Bucks one, Saints two, Panthers, three Falcons.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna pull an old Greg Rosenthal right here.
Speaker 3: This could mean anything, right.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go Saints one. I'm gonna go Bucks two. Sorry to my beloved Panthers. It's the I'm gonna go Panthers three and Falcons four, but I'm gonna go. I'm gonna zig when you guys zag and go Saints one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, if we did this a month ago before the Vibes and maybe.
Speaker 5: I would have picked Panthers.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you might, you might have had the Panthers one. I was feeling that vibe for you all. Don't get too freaked out.
Speaker 2: It's you know, omens get healthier.
Speaker 1: A great sign is that, you know, the three of us enjoy podcasting together.
Speaker 2: I hope we can do this again sometimes.
Speaker 1: Trevor, thank you great for double duty on the South Divisions.
Speaker 2: And that's it for Trevor here.
Speaker 1: But Jordan will be back with me on our next show, which will be taped live from Chargers Camp on Tuesday. Let's hit that music. Let's get out of here. We got a busy week. Like I said, we'll do some news from Chargers Camp. We'll do the Chargers and we also have an interview a power Players episode with Nick Cayley, the play caller for the Houston Texans, that is next in the feed. Him and Jordan Great conversation. Please check that out. The two of them are going to unlock CJ Stroud together.
Speaker 2: See you then