Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Jim Steeneveek along with Carol Masser. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today with us is Bloomberg News cross Asset reporter Emily GRIFFEO. Emily. A lot to choose from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a lot to choose from.
Speaker 5: Let's start with micro Strategy now named Strategy to your mstr This is a bitcoin holding company and it's up about two percent right now. It's pairing games, though, was up almost eight percent earlier in the day, and it's all on this news that MSCI, one of the largest index providers, decided to keep digital asset.
Speaker 4: Treasury companies in its stocks.
Speaker 5: Right. Yes, so, back in October they had proposed excluding digital asset treasure companies from the indexes.
Speaker 4: And the reason why people care is because if a company is in.
Speaker 5: An index, like trillions of dollars, index funds by it, so it weighs on the stock a lot if it's not in the index. Late yesterday they said they're maintaining index treatment for digital asset treasuries, which includes strategy for now. They also said that they're going to be launching a broader consultation on how non operating companies should be treated. So there's something to do with you know, if the company just holds a lot of assets on its asset on its balance sheet and doesn't have like an actual business, what does that mean? But for now, the company is in and the stock is up.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's there's been back and forth on this one for a while, right, we've definitely seen its fortunes a little bit different.
Speaker 5: Yes, ate and not just MSCI, a lot of like there's been a lot of talker are they going to get added to the S and P five hundred?
Speaker 4: What would that mean?
Speaker 5: But again, they're a crypto company, and so the stock, yes, and the stock moves a lot in tandem with bitcoin.
Speaker 4: So it's down about sixty percent in the last year's.
Speaker 3: Okay, what else feeling about today?
Speaker 4: So I'm also looking at shares of Blackstone. This is an interesting one.
Speaker 5: The stock was down as much as nine percent today, now down about four percent. Donald Trump saying that he would move to ban institutional investors from buying single family home, so that you can see in the stock chart that that weighed on shares of Blackstone. Now if the stock is trimmed some losses, and we're also looking at some home.
Speaker 4: Builders down as well.
Speaker 5: Blackstone notorious for being a major investor in residential real estate. In twenty twenty one, they bought Home Partners of America in a six billion dollar deal.
Speaker 4: It was interesting though.
Speaker 5: Neil Duta from Renaissance Macro had a note out he said, institutional investors represent a very small share of sales, like just two percent, and bag our investors buy other retail by other homes to.
Speaker 3: Mike McKee, who earlier today sent me a note, a long note from the American Enterprise Institute that had done research on this, and perhaps this was that Neil was referring to. But the research, they argue at the American Enterprise Institute doesn't support the narrative that institutional ownership of homes drives up home prices.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: But nevertheless, look at how the stock reacted.
Speaker 5: We saw this truth social post from Trump, and I mean the stock fille nine percent.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's it's fascinating because I think after the Great financial crisis, right, and there were so much excess homes that were out there, and people were like doing things like maybe we should blow them up, maybe we should let immigrants buy them, like do different things to get rid of that excess supply. And then Blackstone started buying up those properties rental and it was a smart bet. But that was my question too, It's like, how much are they really buying up in terms of the supply that are out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I feel like this is like a meme on financial Twitter. You see a lot of people constantly talking about the housing crisis, and then Blackstone always comes.
Speaker 3: To Politically, It's a very populous thing to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds good.
Speaker 1: I've actually had family members when we about politics and like, well to all the institutional investors, you own homes. And I'm like, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah. All right.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about another thing that has come out of the President today. He has been talking about the defense companies.
Speaker 5: Right, so Lockheed Martin this is TAKR lmt's down about two percent. Trump coming out today saying he will not permit dividends or stock buybacks for defense companies until problems are rectified, including pay production of equipment and plants. So back in December he had kind of signaled this desire to meet with defense contractor execs and tell them to spend more on weapons development and not stock buybacks. So we're seeing some of that action come to light today. And yeah, the stock down about two percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen a few names fight move in on that.
Speaker 4: Hey, Emily, thank you. Actually three percent now, ah moved.
Speaker 2: Even more the stock mover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.