Speaker 1: Cool media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here? Executive that Disorder. Our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, Yes, the crumbling world and what it means for me and you. I'm Garrison Davis today. I'm joined by James Stout and Robert Evans. Yes, this week we're covering the week of February nineteen to February twenty sixth.
Speaker 3: Boy, if you thought we had ed before, do we have ed now?
Speaker 4: We still haven't got that HYM sponsorship, but will yeah crying.
Speaker 3: We're gonna keep working at it. I'm also looking to get us a penis pump sponsorship. Speaking of penis pumps, let's talk about the Germans. So, Germany had its election very recently after their most recent coalition collapsed. The way their government works is that periodically governments can't continue being governments, and so they have to have a very sudden election. I'm not going to explain it much more than that, but the actual results of the election were pretty interesting, right. The primary winner was off Day AfD Alternative for Germany would be kind of the closest English translation of the name of the party. This is a far right party. It is primarily popular in East Germany now, but it has surged massively after years and years of being decidedly on the political fringe. One of the reasons it has always been on the political fringe is that German parties, both centrists, Conservatives and the left, have had a tacit agreement since the end of World War Two called the Court on Santaire. It's not just Germany, this is the thing that used to be present in all of Europe. And basically the gist of the Court in Sanitaire is you don't form a coalition because these are parliamentary democracies, right, so usually no one party has fifty percent or more of the vote. So you know, a party with twenty and a party with fifteen and a party with eight and they form a coalition government. And the norm for up until now, and thankfully is still the normal we'll talk about that is that you don't coalition with AfD, which is a part of why that and kind of lingering stigma about the Nazis kept them from being a major force in German politics until you know, over the last eight or so years they have grown substantially to the point where in this recent election they doubled their support from around ten percent to a little over twenty percent. This makes them they're not the largest single block in the German in the Reichstag.
Speaker 2: They're number two though, right they are number two, I believe, which sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the CDU is still significantly larger, although not like overwhelmingly larger to be clear. So basically right now, the CDU, which is the centrist party and it's kind of like center right, a little center right, has two hundred and eight seats in the Reichstag. AfD has one hundred and fifty two, the Social Democrats have one hundred and twenty, the Greens have eighty five, and the Left Party has sixty four. So AfD is a minority in the government compared to all of the people who didn't vote for AfD, but the rate at which they're increasing is a serious problem, especially since most Germans list immigration as their primary voting concern right now, this most recent election had unusually high voter turnout. Twenty twenty one election, seventy six percent of the country or so voted. More than eighty two percent of the country voted in this most recent election, so the fact that like you have record high turnout and AfD doubling its support is deeply chilling. Now it's not one hundred percent bad news because one of the other stories here is the new Left Party, well not super new, but the Left Party, which is kind of came out of East Germany's Communist Party, massively increased their support too. And they actually for the first time, like very significantly increased their share of the vote, which had been under this kind of five percent threshold before and is now at about eight point eight percent. So they went up by an amount. Actually it's not like as much as AfD went up, but like in terms of a percentage of their prior vote, it's a similar increase. So there's another party that had significant gains in this and it's it's kind of a newer party called the BSW, which is you could say they do a little bit of like a Red Brown Alliance kind of thing, where there's some left wing messaging in what they're saying with they're also like super anti immigrant and they're not, you know, it's not kind of like to the extent that the AfD is. But when they came on to the scene, they were expected by some people to pull votes away from the AfD this election, and that's really not what happened. And in fact, a lot of the votes they pulled were from Social Democrats and the left parties, so that was one of the you know, it's because the way the parliamentary system works, which is more rational than our system. This didn't like hand the whole election to off day. Again. This is the benefit of a system like the Germans had, which is pretty explicitly set up to make it a lot harder for a right wing dictator to get in again. But it is interesting to me that that kind of messaging, I mean, it's further kind of evidence of what's been happening everywhere, which is when your party positions itself to try to win over far right votes by kind of mixing in Well, okay, what if we did some sort of you know, liberal lefty policies, but we also got really racist. You don't take votes from the far right, but you do wind up pulling the worst people from the left. Yeah, and yeah, I guess that's kind of like the broad strokes. Now, like this is bad, although it's also not comprehensively a nightmare. One of the things that's kind of hot. I don't know, positive may not be the right. Wait, but interesting to me is if you looked at the twenty twenty one election maps of the strongest party by constituency in the twenty twenty one election, and I found a good article German election results explaining graphics on DW dot com. If you just google that, you'll find it. In twenty twenty one, off Day obviously, like the whole northeast was you know, their territory, but they also had strong inroads into the northwest parts of the country, right, you know, primarily like rural areas and the like. But like there was a there was a lot of red on that map orthwest portion of Germany. In the new election that's all black, which is the CDU right, Which means while off Day's representation of the Reichstag and like number of voters increased substantially, their geographical reach has been kind of cauterized, would be, in a fair way of saying it is, which is interesting to me hard to say too much, like does that mean, you know, I think some of what has happened here, Because it's important both to note that this is bad, it's bad that the Nazis got doubled their share of the vote, but also it was expected to be a little worse than it was. You know, there's some evidence that after JD Vance made his speech introducing AfD, their pollings started to like freeze a little bit. And it may be the fact because a lot of older voters came in and they they seem to have primarily gone with the CDU, with this sort of center right party. So the story here is you can maybe look at it as a lot of older, more conservative Germans who are also old enough to really not like the idea of the AfD came out and voted for, you know, the center right party in order to kind of cut off their power. The other thing, though, that's kind of a lot less optimistic, is that AfD is most popular among people under thirty, who widely don't view it as an extremist party, which is deeply, deeply concerning.
Speaker 2: And AfD won the majority of like working class, unemployed and male votes. Yes, yes, pretty substantially.
Speaker 3: Yes, they did extremely well with young men and unemployed young men in particular, and that's all deeply concerning. So you know, there's a few things going on here. All of which are very interesting to me, but the power often they continues to have with younger, really young Germans, is frightening. That said, there's allso some evidence here that the situation in the United States has galvanized a chunk of the German voting populace to attempt to stop off day and kind of one of the positive things that came out is prior to this election, there was a lot of talk about whether or not the CDU would choose to coalition with the AfD and thus into the Cordon sanitaire. And to make a long story short, they're not going to do that. They're looking to coalition with the Social Democrats, which is a good thing. You know, it doesn't mean no one will do that in the future. And unfortunately, a majority of German voters suspect AfD will be in a coalition by twenty thirty, but it hasn't happened yet. And that's as good as things get right now. And that's what I got to say about Germany.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and people frame these results is like slightly better than expected, slightly Previous pulling showed AfD being being slightly better in results, and that dip for Vance and Musk started started really trying to push AfD both in person and digitally, So you saw a slight dip there.
Speaker 3: Yes, And this is the other thing that's kind of worth noting that kind of like red Brown Party, in addition to being kind of pro social programs, anti immigration, they're also very anti United States.
Speaker 4: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: That may explain some of that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does seem like things are changing a lot. And one of the things that we've seen, like as we've spoken before, like not just in Germany, being Canada, was that like people hate Musk and Trump so much in the rest of the world that like their endorsement could be something of a kiss of death electorally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the Conservative Party in Canada has been growing pretty exponentially in terms of like popular support the past few years as the Liberals have like tanked, and now those trends actually started to reverse. The Canadian like liberal pulling is up ten points that can sort of pulling us down. Conservatives might not even be able to control Parliament in the next election, as they were like expected to. And it'll be interesting to see like if this if this anti like far right United States trend continues to more countries beyond, like Germany in Canada, but I'm still I'm still eagerly, eagerly waiting for the next Canadian election.
Speaker 3: And this is part of the story that is really interesting right now, where we've talked a lot about the transnational fascist coalition. You know, the fact that Trump and his people have had the quasi dictator of Hungary, you know, over at mar A Lago, and have repeatedly cited him as an inspiration for how to take and centralized power. You know how close Bolsonaro was in the last Trump administration, Like you know, obviously the Republican parties increasing closeness and embrace of Putin's Russia. But what also is happening right now is people like countries that had been heading at a very a more authoritarian right wing direction and turning around in part due to the war in Ukraine and turning away from kind of the international right wing movement, as Poland being the best example right where had Polish politics have changed substantially in the last several years, and a big part of that is the war in Ukraine. And there are a lot of Poles who I think otherwise would have been more on board for a lot of the socially conservative shit who are like, well, but all these fuckers are pro Russia and we're Poland, Like, no, all right, let's go on a break and return to talk more about the crumbling world. And you said, yeah, all right, we are back. I'm gonna ther to James to to do a segment on usaid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we are back. And before I talk about USAD, I do want to talk about something else that has been advertised along with whatever products and services support this show. That is the Gold Card. So the Gold Card, if you're not familiar, is something that Trump floated this week to replace the EB five investor visa. Trump suggested that the Gold Card it would require a five million dollar investment. Well investment, I think that it's just a charge, right, You're just giving the money to the United States government, and in return you will receive a Green card plus privileges, and it will be not a Green but a Gold card. So that's great. That is the EB five visa if you're not familiar, required you since twenty twenty two, it's been one million and fifty thousand dollar investment and the creation of ten jobs. So it had some kind of like it trickled down economics. It's not a real thing. It's a lie that they tell you. But it had some idea that these rich people would create jobs in the US people who are less wealthy. The gold card seems to not have that. You just have to be rich, right, So that's say, that's an interesting change to the immigration system. The other thing I want to talk about today is a United States Agency for International Development, better known as USAID. It's been a target of like the anti woke right for some time because they fundamentally don't understand what Joseph Nia would have called soft power, right, their power to persuade, the power to influence outcomes around the world with things other than tanks and bonds.
Speaker 3: Oh and again, if your power is soft right now, you might consider trying Hymns or one of our other sponsors.
Speaker 2: Gyms is not a sponsor.
Speaker 4: Sorry, James, we needed to do that, But I have been diverted. But returning to my topic, Yeah, the agency has been massively impacted by DOGE and Trump administration cuts. Right. The Trump administration suspended all foreign aid January via executive order on the twentieth of January in order to assess if it was quote serving US interests. The State Department then issued guidance that seemed to go beyond the executive order and cut nearly basically all usaily expensive On the thirteenth of this month, that's February if you're listening, later, a judges shued a temporary restraining order. This TIERRO didn't really stop them from doing what they were doing, because it told them to continue with existing contracts. And what the State Department claims that it's doing is implementing clauses that are already in the contract, so the contracts will have some kind of kill clause, right, and that they claim that they're implementing that, so they think they've found a fun work around. Rather than talking extensively about court battles, I want to talk about what this means. These are cuts made by the richest man in the world that have had a direct, tangible, and devastating impact on the poorest people on the planet. In Sudan, eighty percent of emergency kitchens have been closed. That means that close to two million people will go without food. Local groups who organize the kitchens are running out of money. The way this works is that even when Rubio issued a communication talking about continuing food aid, it's unclear exactly what that means, because in this case and in other cases, USAID is sending them money in order to provision themselves locally, as opposed to sending them food as an inkind donation.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Whatever he communicated, these people are not getting food an as a result. The people who run these mutual aid kitchens it's a mutual Aid coalition of Sudan are facing the horrible decision of having to turn people away it or deciding who to feed, which is pretty bad. On the border between Thailand and Myanmay, a place where Robert and I have been to report, I've heard that people are having babies right now outside lat of clinics and life support machines have been removed for it to people who were relying on those life support machines obviously.
Speaker 3: And at least one person has died.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm sure many many more people than that have done. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that's just what's reported, Like it's a lot of most of what happens there does not get out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I will try in not too long to be there and report on that, but it's pretty devastating right now that Robert and I have met the people who run some of these clinics and they are some of the most incredible people doing amazing work. And yeah, they relied on USAID funding. There's lots of other places do and that's not happening now. The State Department has exempted quote life saving humanitarian assistance programs from the cuts, but no one really knows what that means. Right. The order reads, quote life saving humanitarian assistance applies to core life saving medicine, medical services, food, shelter and subsistence assistance, as well as supplies and reasonable administrative costs as necessary to deliver such assistance. As I mentioned before, the mutual AIDS who are in coalition was receiving financial assistance to help it provision, right, which is much better than the US going through all the infrastructure spending of being able to deliver that aid itself or through USAID contractors. Other contractors implementing partners of USAID are still owed money for work that they completed before January, before the stop work orders stopped payment to them. For work to begin again on any of these contracts, they need the contract officer to sign up on it, and it's at a lunclear exactly how many of these contract officers are still employed at USAID because of the federal employment cuts. So essentially USAID has stopped all over the world. In addition to this, in this country, four hundred and ninety million dollars worth of US grown food, which is in the USAID pipeline to go to people who very desperately needed food, is currently at risk of spoilage according to USAID. So it's not just that people are starving, it's that we are allowing food to go bad here while people starve in other places, which is pretty bleak. I will just really briefly hear plug the mutual aids who don't coalition. If you'd like to help, you can direct to them directly, And it's mutual aids who donig If you'd like to do that, it'll be into show, not to if you're driving or whatever.
Speaker 2: And there is like ongoing legal fights over this issue. On Tuesday, February twenty fifth, another judge ordered the Trump administration to resume hundreds of million dollars of funding towards USAID, and there's no indication Trump's going to follow that order. They're already planning to appeal again. They have already appealed before. And we've seen them continually deny court orders from judges, fine loopholes, fine workarounds, and Musk and Trump continue to just openly float like defying the order of the court. Representative Andy Ogeles introduced articles have appeachment against a specific quote unquote activist judge. This will go nowhere. They don't have nearly enough numbers to make anything like this happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a frontal assault on the separation of powers. It's what he's proposed, right, And like they don't have their numbers.
Speaker 2: Yet, yes, well, and then they have openly floated just like defying orders because they're interpreting the actions of the judges as like themselves, unlawful. But Musk has himself called to impeach judges who violate the law, and I believe his most recent pinned pinned x posts ye reads quote if any judge anywhere can block every presidential action everywhere, we do not have a democracy. We have a tyranny of the judiciary.
Speaker 4: So what a great legal mind.
Speaker 3: Shit we were saying and back in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: So this will continue. I mean, I'm really really waiting for a final showdown between Trump Elon and you know, maybe the Supreme Court and seeing if they will actively defy a ruling from the Supreme Court, if they indeed rule against Trump and Musque. But until then, I feel like we're just kind of all chugging along as the Trump administration, you know, very very unconstitutionally defies the authority of the Court. In some related news, last week, President Trump signed in executive order stating that the president can change laws erroneously, citing Article two, which only calls for the presidents to quote faithfully execute the law. I'm going to quote from the order the President to and the Attorney General, subject to the President's supervision and control, will interpret the law for the executive branch, instead of having separate agencies adopt conflicting interpretations. The next section is titled reigning in independent Agencies. It reads the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and Securities and Exchange Commission have exercised enormous power over the American people without presidential oversight. These agencies issue rules and regulations without the review of the democratically elected president. They also spend American tax dollars to set priorities without consulting the president, voters, and the president can now hold all federal agencies, not just cabinet departments, responsible for their decisions as the constitution demands. This is absurd. This is like extremely dangerous, one of the most like blatant like attempts at power that we've seen since Dick Nixon. Like this is gonna get litigated, but this is crazy. The the fact that we have that we have a president saying that he has the ability to interpret the law something that specifically he cannot do. That's why, it's why we have three branches of government, just like openly openly claiming that power is like very worrying. Again, like I feel like I have every episode on Executive Disorder, I say that, you know, I'm very worried. I'm very concerned, but that does continue to be the case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is very concerned. I don't know what more to say, because it's mad, like we're watching a coup happen on the timeline while everyone just continues to go shopping and stuff like it's it's it's pretty weird.
Speaker 2: Speaking speaking of shopping, I just got a fantastic Swedish M ninety feel jacket. It looks great, it fits tight. I'm very happy, incredible.
Speaker 4: Garrison's becoming a mills Up.
Speaker 2: We will go on break once again to come back to talk about the Navy and the FBI. All right, we are back. Let's now talk about the Navy, arguably one of the gayer branches of the military, besides the besides the drone operators.
Speaker 3: Oh you're you're really missing out on the marine career. He has multiple Marine veterans have told the US Marine Corps is the gayest place I've ever been.
Speaker 2: The Marines are like part of the Navy, right, come on, they are, they are, they are, and they hate it when you say, oh, well, wait, wait, go cry about Daddy Trump. I don't care.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of fun. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So meanwhile, there's a shakeups in the Navy and the Marines as relating to Trump's anti trans executive orders. And we have obtained an al Nave memo directed to all Navy units and Marine Corps from February twenty fifth that outlines the Department of Navy's guidance on how to implement the anti trans executive orders. Now, this includes ending programs and policies related to quote unquote and gender ideology all across the Navy, as well as only using assigned sex at birth on official documentation. I will quote from the statement quote don entities will review policies for quote unquote intimate single sex spaces and take appropriate action to ensure such spaces are designated by sex and not gender identity on installations, facilities, ships, and any other infrastructure under the jurisdiction of the Department of Navy unquote. So this will force women into bathrooms and barracks with men. It's in line with the stuff that like Trump's been talking about and the stuff that he's been signing. But we are still getting more and more of these implementation guides getting sent around to various departments.
Speaker 4: James, Yeah, and like just to clarify that to people, most of these spaces are pretty full, right, These are pretty crowded places. So this will mean women sharing rooms with young marines. Right. This will meet them sharing non stalled bathrooms with young sailors and marines.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: This will force them into very confined spaces together on board ships.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: This isn't like some kind of sort of minor inconvenience or whatever like this, This will put these people at a demonstrable risk for US so all for bullying, which is a serious thing and an issue in lots of militaries, including the US one. But like, and many of these people I should add, like have had that they're like post surgery right, and not that it matches hugely, but that people who might pass is as women or men and they are now forced to live according to their gender assigned at birth pretty fucked up.
Speaker 2: It's not great. I'm going to wait before I do reporting on the implementation guides for visas. I know there's been a lot of articles in the Guardian and a few trans journalists have conflicting interpretations of a few Department of State cables regarding the issuing of visas to people who are trans Specifically, I think the main cable that we've seen allows the continued issuance of visas, but that would only match what the case officer or like the whoever whoever is like handling the actual these information, whatever they determined to be the assigned gender at birth to be, That's that's how it would get issued. But I'm going to wait to report on kind of the rest of the nitty gritty details, because there is conflicting information from like from like these like policy wonks, lawyers and journalists themselves who are trying to figure out kind of what the full implications of those cables are. But we are aware of them, We've been talking about them in our chat. Yes, they are bad, but I don't necessarily want to like overblow the scope of some of these things just to like induce panic when when really this is all kind of vary in line with Trump's earlier orders to only have male and female documentation that matches assigned gender at birth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say. Also, like if you are soldier, sailor em and a person marine whatever, and like these these gexy voters are affecting you, you can email us cool Zone tips at proton dot me. I know trans folks tend to serve at a higher rate than cisgender folks, so those a good number of people who will be affected by this, And like, for whatever it's worth, if you want to talk to us, you can reach out to us.
Speaker 2: I'm also going to note we obtain information on the Department of Defense for removing travel coverage for abortion. On January eighteenth, Department of Defense Travel Management Office Room of Dissection from their joint travel regulations that outlined travel allowances for quote non covered reproductive health care quote meaning like abortion and assisted reproductive technology like IVF. Now, this change was directly in compliance with Trump's executive order to enforce the High Amendment, which Mia has talked about lots before on the show. And then on February fourth, they actually re established coverage for assisted reproductive technology, so probably just IVF, but abortion was not re established, so.
Speaker 4: That means travel cover for abortion related medical care reproduct fil Okay, it's no longer there. Correct.
Speaker 2: Correct. For our last main story, I like to talk a little bit about updates to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Trump goon, rap producer and children's book author Cash Ptel has been confirmed as FBI director, and Patel is joined by far right podcaster and conspiracy theorist Dan Gino, who has been appointed deputy director.
Speaker 3: A God, and I look, I gotta say it. I'm just glad there's an adult in the room.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, this is thank God again, Like I don't want to just be talking about how how you know, kooky everything is in this new administration. But this is wild.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is no no, no Garrison. I disagree, and that's because I have professional solidarity. Anything that's good for podcasters in general, you know, is is good for the country.
Speaker 2: So not not great.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Last week, Ptel tolds senior officials he wants to relocate upwards of fifteen hundred employees from DC to fuel offices around the country, and in a statement on last Friday, which is February twenty first, Patel said, quote, anyone that wishes to do harm to our way of life and our citizens here and abroad will face the full wrath of the DOJ and the FBI. If you seek to hide in any corner of this country or planet, we will put on the world's largest man hunt, and we will find you, and we will decide your end state unquote. Agents and government employees have warned that under Patel, the Bureau will be on course to refocus efforts away from far right street fighters and accelerationists and towards the nebulous BLM Antifa. In related news, on Tuesday, a far right extremist named Joe Kent was confirmed as director of the National counter Terrorism Center Kent is a former Special Forces and CIA operative. He's described himself as an American First populist and has strong ties to the Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer. Kent has praised Joey Gibson for standing up to Antifa, and Kent himself employed a Proud Boy to consult on a failed congressional campaign in twenty twenty two. Kent has historically advocated that the FBI refocus their efforts to target Antifa. And this is like all amidst a report from the Guardian suggesting that the Nazi cocelerationist group the Base, has had a decent resurgence in activity and recruitment efforts inside the United States.
Speaker 4: That's good, so.
Speaker 2: Not cool stuff happening, read the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I guess i'll close unless we have any other thoughts on Kent or Patel or our podcaster deputy director, What are you supposed to say?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: I mean, I do think it's funny that because of the number of podcasters that have been hired, there have been statements by people in the administration that like, there aren't going to be any more conservative podcasters because we're giving them all government jobs.
Speaker 4: Well, that's more hymns advertising dollars for us.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. I feel like this is going to be huge for us.
Speaker 2: I would like to close on three more funny news moments from the past week. Elon Musk danced around with a chainsaw at c Pack while multiple of his ex wives and baby Mama's pleaded for him on Twitter to respond to emergencies regarding his children, including that including that weird far right journalist and Babylon Be contributor who's had an increasing spat with Musk and I now I believe has filed for complete custody of their child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean that's good luck.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess good luck.
Speaker 4: I can't think of a worse situation to be in than Elon Musk being one of your legal parents for the sake of that child. I hope that she succeeds.
Speaker 2: Tesla stock is down nearly thirty percent this month. There's been a real pressure on him because people in Europe are refusing to buy Tesla's in a boycott, you know, upset at him for doing the whole Nazi salute and being a Nazi thing. And finally, in some very sad news. A crypto trader killed himself live on a Twitter space in order to start a meme coin. Sorry sorry, on an x space in order to start a meme coin. How do we feel about this, folks? I know it's a dark time for our community.
Speaker 4: They did start the meme coin.
Speaker 2: Multiple meme coins actually were starting so well.
Speaker 4: Well done for the people cashing in and the guy shooting himself in the head and then bleeding out for thirty minutes on stream. You are vampires, I don't know, not the cool kind. No, yeah, not the not the cool kind, the evil kind, vultures. Vultures can be cool as well.
Speaker 2: I guess it depends. Well. I think that's it for us. We reported the news again.
Speaker 3: We reported the news.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for It Could Happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.