Speaker 1: Hmmm, Jack, Day two just heard good Day one. We get to start off day two. We're one of my favorites. Another legend. Yeah, man, I grew up watching these dudes. Man uh an LA kid. We were talking about this because we had Coop yesterday. I mean, how many LA kids get to play for the biggest team in the city and when championships and just kind of have one of those historical careers and our guest today got to do that. Man at home at the crib. Welcome to the show Byron Scott.
Speaker 2: We we appreciate you, appreciate you, appreciate you all.
Speaker 1: So b you were Stacks coach his rookie season, and from what I've heard over the years, there was a little bit of funk at some point. What was the what was what was what was the I mean we're here on all the smoke and yeah, yeah, so y'all are good now, But what was what was the f I'm gonna start with you, Jack, what was the disconnection you think will coach at some point your rookie year?
Speaker 3: Well, for me, you know, first, if I said anything burning the past, I've finished you. I apologize with I've grown up. I'm a man.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: But at the time, I was hurt because I just came back out the Rookie All Star Game and I just fought to get into the league, you know, for three four years, you know, going through overseas and stuff, and when I came back from All Star, I just didn't play, and I never understood. While we never had a conversation about it, I never understood why, and you know, not not understanding and being a young guy that was working to get to the NBA.
Speaker 2: Then I make the Rookie All Star Game when I first get in.
Speaker 3: Now I come back and I'm just not playing from starting, like I didn't know what to think.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm young, so for for for a long time.
Speaker 3: I held so I hed some hate for you because I felt like, damn, I never got an explanation, like when I when he gave me the opportunity, like I praised him because this he gives He's giving me a chance to start my first game in the NBA, like I started my like that game, you know, and you know how I showed you that I appreciated that, you know what I'm saying, But then to not play when I came back, I never understood why and I never got a chance to ask you why.
Speaker 2: And kind of like what you just said.
Speaker 4: You know, Jack, uh, anything I did back in those days, I apologized as well, because I've grown up and I was I was a head coach, you know what I'm saying. And Jack this how this whole thing started from the get go, just how he made the team.
Speaker 2: We had. We had open runs my.
Speaker 1: First year's coaching Jersey, right, how old are you at this point?
Speaker 2: Thirty six? I wouldn't, Yeah, exactly, I'm thirty six.
Speaker 1: Young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I still player. I still got player of mentality, you know what I'm saying right now. So we got open runs and I don't know if Jack remember, right after two days, I said, Eah, who the hell is that? He said, Oh, that's Stephen Jackson. I said, where he come from?
Speaker 2: Supposed to be there?
Speaker 4: I've never seen it. He wasn't supposed to be at the RUMs. The list of names I had, his name.
Speaker 2: Went on there.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, where the hell they come from? He said, oh, well, he came out of high school. It didn't work out. I think Phoenix or somebody overseas, and so I said, we'll invite him back. You know, he keeps coming back. I said, man, we got to bring him to the camp. He was like, you're serious. I said, hell yeah, bring him to camp. He started the first game.
Speaker 3: My first evident invite from picking an invite from pickup games to an invite to start in the first game.
Speaker 4: Now we had a bunch of injuries too. We had a bunch of guys in the game. Yeah, we have a bunch of guys were hurt and not taking anything away from Jack because he started the first game, and once we came back from the All Star break, those guys are getting healthy.
Speaker 3: Johnny Newman, But as a youngster, you know how didn't understand that?
Speaker 4: And you know what, as a young coach, what I should have done? Explain exactly what I should have done. Jackets took you to the side after the All start breaking said, look you did. You've done a hell of a job. You've been playing the treatment well. But I got to see these guys play because when I was in VAT I understood it.
Speaker 1: You know you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I got this cause I gotta make changes. I gotta figure out who's going to be here the next year.
Speaker 1: And who's because are making money too and they making mine a rookie.
Speaker 2: It was we had Jim mcclvain too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, we had so many We had so many guys. And it wasn't that Rod Thorne, who was our president of basketball operation, told me you gotta play these guys. I just knew I had to play. I got to see what we got for next year. I got to see who I got to get the hell out of here. Yeah, Kendall Gill came in. It was Keny your first year, Kenya's first year. Yep, Kendall Gill came in. When I had my season meeting with everybody, and you know, like I said, I should have approached Jackie talk because he was nineteen twenty years old, you know, so when he wasn't playing, you know, he would come to practice and he was pissed and and I understood that.
Speaker 3: You remember, my, my, my, when I first got there, I went to I went a burn like a little kid when because I first got that my grandfather.
Speaker 2: Had got I was a kid. Bro I'm still a kid. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I mean, you know, as much as you say, you know things, I could have handled it about a lot better. But I was youngest ship too. You know what I'm saying. I was my first year coaching, thirty six years old as a head.
Speaker 1: That was your first year.
Speaker 2: That was my first year.
Speaker 4: That was so I looked back on it and I said, man, you know what I should have did, which I did later on because you learn from your mistakes, is that I should have took Jack to the side and said, listen, this is what's going on.
Speaker 2: I gotta find out.
Speaker 4: So you just keep doing your things, keep practicing, keep doing what you're doing, coming to practice with a great attitude. And if I would explain that to him, I shut down, it would have been a lot different. But he shut down. And Kenyon was the rookie kings like I got him, coach, I got it. And we had one practice where he really shut down. I said, Jack, just just go on locker room out him, and Steph was like this him. Steph was like that, miss, but you and Steph are king Steph and keing yeah, oh yeah, button head. So so Kenyon was, you know, Kenyon was trying to be the calm one, and you know, ken ain't the calm. He's trying to be the com one and keep everybody together. And he was like, I got him, I got I got Jack, coach, I said, okay. So that that particular day when I just looked at Jack, I said, Jack, good ship, don't get out of here. And I looked at King. He just looked at me, did like this, and and I didn't. I didn't know I be a profession of then.
Speaker 1: So it was it was.
Speaker 4: It was a two way street. And uh, like you said, we both gotten older, We're both grown, you know. Like I said, my biggest mistake was I wish I could go back and say, let me take him to the side and explain the situation.
Speaker 2: And I still hold that appreciation.
Speaker 3: Nothing has changed with you giving me the opportunity when nobody else did and allowing me to start my first NBA game.
Speaker 2: So I will forever appreciate you for that.
Speaker 1: So that off season Marbury for Jake Kids, and then fast forward the two thousand and three finals, Nets versus Spurs, youngy versus old team. What's going through your head as because like I said, you're on your young bullshit, so it's it's all paid back in your mind.
Speaker 3: But let me say this, even though it was a it was two years because the first year I was on injury list, when I left and the second third year I played in two thousand and three, so I had a left I had a left time to grow in that San Antonio Spurs system.
Speaker 2: For two years, I was learning how to be a professional.
Speaker 3: I was around Steve Smith, I was going to church with David Robinson, so I was starting I was starting to grow up a little bit. So that's how I ended up being in the starting lineup. I was learning how to be a professional. So I just wanted to just play well, you know what I'm saying, Yes, your old team, but I just wanted to play well, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's all I was focused on.
Speaker 1: So in your that's your third year coaching, third year coaching, you find yourself in the NBA finals, Like, what's going are you?
Speaker 4: When I rock back to back? We went San Antonio, then we went the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you as a player, you've experienced that as a player. Now your experience is from a coach's point of view, like with what's your mindset and what's your preparation and thinking?
Speaker 2: Like in the finals.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, It's funny because I think the first finals we got to was the Lakers and that was ugly.
Speaker 2: It was ugly. Man.
Speaker 4: We had Jack, you know, we had no answer for Shaq. Yeah, yeah, you know, we had guys that could guard Kobe. They can't stop Kobe, but they could make it tough on Kobe. And you know he's still gonna get twenty five thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like, nah, just look at that. I was like this, and I was at the crib.
Speaker 1: He d on the whole team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Shaq man man, Shack, Shack was so dominant it was unbelievable. So I knew he was in trouble because I told I told the team, you know, before the game, I said, this is this is something that you guys have never experienced. So when we come out, make sure you're focused on the game, you know, because we had the Staples Center, right, So the guys come out, be and my coaching staff we walk out about the three minute mark instead of two minute mark and standing there and I'm watching our guys warm up, and I'm going, man.
Speaker 2: Were about to get a ship beat out of us?
Speaker 4: Because they were like, yes, we're about to get the ship beat out of us, right, And they went up about twenty five so fast, you know, for the rest of the game. We played even but you know, they swept us in that series. But we we we really played well for three quarters, three and a half quarters. We just couldn't. We had nothing for Shack, you know, and when you know, you guys both know when he come ready to play, there's nothing you can do. We double team d we triple team d uh. And it was just nothing we could do. And we just we were just out.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: They just had a much better basketball team. But it was it was great for me to be able to take a team back to La where I'm from and to be in the finals, you know what I'm saying as a coach.
Speaker 2: So that was a very proud moment for me.
Speaker 1: And then the following year, you find yourself right back in the finals. Now you're against Tim Duncan in the.
Speaker 4: First against Jack and the Dunk and Tim Duncan and those guys. Yeah, he was on the mission. Unbelievable season. You know, probably should have got MVP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to be honest with you, him and Tim was right there, him and Tim was right there, and we gave him a fight, you know, but they were again you know, when you got yo, Jack and GINOBLEI.
Speaker 4: You know, their their wing players were so good. You know, Tony Park was that Robinsons last year, yep, Dame and then you got Tim Duncan. He was lights out. Yeah, Tim, we just we I mean again, you could you could guard certain guys. You can't stop him. You can make it hard on as we tried to do. But uh, you know, San Antonio was such a great team, so we we knew. You know, there was four to two in that series. And Pop, who I got so much respect for, is coach, you know, just unbelievable coach. You know, he is one of those coaches that still to this day is still old school in his mentality as far as discipline, doing ship the right way and if you don't, you sit down.
Speaker 2: That's what I tell him. I say, Papa is more of a coach.
Speaker 3: He's more like a leader because he leads the whole organization into even if the team is not good enough, you come into that season believing you can, you win in the championship.
Speaker 2: It's just to feel around the whole organization that he started that, right, Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean obviously, all three of us, being former players, were always for the player empowerment. But my question is, I think the player empowerment is a little out of hand at this point from a coach. From you, from a coaching standpoint, I mean, you came up under Riley and and and and people like that, and I'm sure you implemented some of your game and his coaching philosophy in the year principle. As far as a coach from the early two thousands to now, how do you think coaching has changed? Because you can win and still get fired. Yeah, now you have, you have as a coach in the NBA. Now you have no authority whatsoever. Truly, that's crazy to say. I truly relieve that. And and like you guys said, we've all been former players. Uh, that coach was a position that you respected and it demanded respect, you know, and coaches say you do it was that simple, Uh, And we've all come from that that line, you know, that old school type mentality. I think the entitlement of players today to be able to make uh suggestions are changes. And I don't even call it suggestions. Basically a players said, well, I don't want them to play with that guy. I want this guy on my team.
Speaker 4: Yo, you got you got the president of basketball operation or the GM or the owner going to get that player, you know.
Speaker 2: So I think I think it's totally changed. Uh.
Speaker 4: And I think that's one of the main reasons that the viewership is down in the NBA. You know, it's because not only the style of play, because you know, it's threes or dunks or layups. You know, there's no mid rais, there's no creativity, there's there's no the movement offensively is one guy with the ball, you know, center the time that you stand around and you watch him play.
Speaker 2: That's not attractive for fans to watch.
Speaker 4: And us as basketball players, we would never want to play that way, right, you know, It's always been about five guys being able to have a touch of the ball.
Speaker 1: At least Let me touch that.
Speaker 4: You ain't got to shoot it, let me touch it, you know, let me feel like I'm a part of the offense of what's going on.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So, I think right now with the way the NBAS gave, you know, and I'm with you, Jack, I mean, Matt, I'm with you. As far as player empowerment, you know, I think that's something that we all, you know, wish we had at that particular time. But I think now it's overboard. I think it's going crazy. I think you know the the you know, the prisoners are running asylum right now. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: And I think you hit it on the head too, because especially now more than ever, younger kids that kind of think different but are making so much money. If you can't get that respect, you don't stand a chance. You don't stand a chance.
Speaker 4: You don't And I think again one of the reasons for me at least coaching. You know that, I'm like, I couldn't coach in this area right now, you know, because I'll be ready to fight.
Speaker 2: You know, you disrespect me, dog, We're gonna fight.
Speaker 3: And to go what I was saying about touches do y'all men, when we was playing, the first two or three players used to go to the big manside, gettaches early because if the game get the high speed, you know, he might not get the quarter a couple of times.
Speaker 4: You got to keep him at Let me touch the ball first, you know, the first two or three players, like you said, and then let's see how they play it, and then let's do what we do. But you know, you know the biggest question, I mean, I had a guy and I'm not gonna throw him, you know, put him in blast. But in Cleveland, I was like, we're doing this today.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 4: I said, First of all, you can't question me. And this new was like a first or second year player. I said, I said, that's first of all crazy. First of all, you can't question I said. Second of all, this is what we did. And I wont championships.
Speaker 2: I said. Third of all, when you win a championship, then you can ask me a question. I'll give your input.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I ain't gonna even ask you for your input. You in your first year, second year, you ain't won ship, I ain't asking you. You know what I'm saying. So you know, I mean my last two years with the Lakers, I had our boy, you know, I had Kobe Bean Brant you know, and Kobe would come to practice sometimes and just go off on these guys, and y'all know Kobe, he would just go off, you know. And then there were days I was like, man, I don't even come to practice. We don't you done done everything and seen everything. Don't need your practice, right, But just the entitlement that they felt they had to be able to even ask a question about why we doing this today. I was like, dog, we you better go over you better go over there right now. You're better talk to press or somebody else.
Speaker 3: We talked to somebody last night. That's that's coaching and in this system. And that's one of the things he said to us. He was like, man, it's hard to coach these kids because they two sentsenes. They can't really take it. And that's that's the other thing, Jack.
Speaker 4: You can't you can't get on them, you know, because they take it as like you said, they call the agent, the agent called the gym.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I made a changing lineup, you know, when I was with the Lake Caerus, I said, you know what you guys, you guys have given been given this position, but you didn't earn it.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna make a change. You know, we're on the road. I got to the room.
Speaker 4: Mitch Cupcheck had called me already. I was like, making a change because you like, hey, Mitch, are you serious? You know, so the sensitivity that these guys have that you can't even you can't you can't teach them. You know, you can't jump on the ass because they're gonna go crying to their You know, back in our day, you jump okay, all right, yeah, now I'm gonna come back the next day.
Speaker 1: You might want to say, you might want to fight one of your teammates, but you had to listen to the That's what it was.
Speaker 2: So it's just it's just it's just a different time, different But.
Speaker 3: It's a guy over there that's ready to listen, that's just as good as you, that's ready to come in. You know what I'm saying, So you better straighten up. That's what we had them. They don't feel now. They ain't looking over their shoulder.
Speaker 2: They don't. Everybody getting a hundred million while looking think too.
Speaker 1: A lot of times and practices where you could steal minutes or compete or the second thing. You could have a team that's going to the Western, the Eastern Finals, or even going but that second team is busting the ass and practice and that's how guys used to get minutes and steal minutes. But they don't even practice no more. They don't practice no more.
Speaker 4: My first year, you know, pat Riley would play me spot minutes, you know, because again I'm coming. I'm coming to a team that's a championship caliber team. For four games. I didn't play a lick and Bill Burker he was like, be just hanging there. I said, Burke, I'm good. You know this, This practice is my game. I'm gonna come ready every day, you know, because when I get that opportunity, I'm gonna be ready for it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And we had a two game loser, streaking rounds, so I'm gonna change the lineup. He put me in the lineup. And when you put me in the lineup for Mike McGee, okay, put me in the line up. I said, Mike, you never get this spot back. This ship is mine now. You will never get this spot back, right, And That's how I approached it. But you know, I wouldn't cry. I wouldn't call it my agent. And you know, man, I ain't played the last woke up. Okay, you take it like a man was better in the gym strap up. Speaking of that team, we had your brother Coop on the show Man. You guys just gathered for his ceremony, keeping tradition alive.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: I mean, you came up in the era and obviously we caught a little bit of it, but as far as teams staying together for the long haul. You maybe add a piece of here there. But guys are spending their entire careers, or at least a majority of their careers on one team. You happen to spend a majority of your career on a great team, and you guys follow tradition, and you guys got together with it last summer, two summers ago, two summers ago. What is that brotherhood of that that Showtime team mean to you?
Speaker 2: Everything? Everything? Man?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know to this day that that brotherhood is still strong. You look at some of these other teams that played back in those eras, they can't stand each other, you know what I'm saying. I mean, as great as Chicago was, you got Scottie and you know, kind of I can't say Michael because Michael ain't said really nothing.
Speaker 2: Scotty been tripping, bro Scotty, Scott went off.
Speaker 1: You know a couple of times.
Speaker 2: I was even like Scotty had been on there smoking for cho Yeah, what the hell I think he deal?
Speaker 4: But it ain't smoking at But but you look at you look at our team in those in those in the nineties and eighties, you know we still tighten. You know, we had a Showtime reunion, and Magic wanted everybody that won a championship with him in the eighties to be there, and that's almost forty people, right, forty players. I think thirty six showed up, wow, you know, and the fort it didn't. It was, you know, just reasons they couldn't come, you know. So it shows how close we still are as a group, you know, and the majority of us still live here in La so we still get together and things of that nature. I just spent your New Year's Eve and brought in the New Year's with Coop, you know, him and Von and my wife, and we had a great time. But it's nothing like having that type of fellowship and that brothership that we had. You know, we went the Wars together. Man, We won championships, we lost championships. You know, we have a history together that you can't replace, you know. So I think we all still enjoy getting together and talk about the good old days and how fun it was, and then sometimes we talk about this era now we're like, man, these dudes, it's a trip, you know. But it's just great to have that type of friendship with the guys that I played with.
Speaker 3: Is it a team that has more Hall of Famers on it than that Showtime team. Besides, okay, that sounds yeah.
Speaker 4: Well my my my rookie year, I played with six six Hall of Famers. I played with six on one team, on one team, and that ain't counting roles.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: That's not counting the coach. And that's not counting Jerry West. That's not counting Bill. You know what I'm saying. I played with Kareem Magic, James Coop, uh Silk, Bob McAdoo. Mmm on my team my rookie year. It was Hall of Famers. So I don't know if there's another team that has that. Man, what heat, brutal we're going after each other man. I mean, that's that's a great thing about practice because Cooper guard Magic, and Cooper picked him up ninety four and talk shit the whole game, you know, and if if we lost, because it was Gold against Blues, so Coop was the Blue, that was the second unit, and you so if Coop's unit would beat us, you know, and Rouse said, all right, practice over match, Oh hell no, we gotta go again.
Speaker 2: So we go again. We beat them.
Speaker 4: Now one one rose would leave, we play another one. We can't go one and one somebody. So our practices were so damn hard. The games was easy. Games was easy.
Speaker 1: What do you miss as a player? Obviously playing is one thing, and I think a piece of everybody misses that. But I always say, like the locker room, the bus rides, the planes just to kick it in, and talking ship and you guys had, like you said, you had Magic, who was a character, and then you had Cap who was kind of reserved, and then you had you had such a mixture of personalities. What were some of those funner times for you guys, like off the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like the class clowns, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Was the one that was imitating people and doing all kinds of other crazy ship. It was great, man. I mean we we we hung out together, we went to movies together. Robs would do these parties for just the team and the and the wives and everything. So I missed that more THANINNY. I mean, we all missed the competition playing playing against some of the best players in the world. We missed that competition, but I really missed the camaraderie that we had. You know, like you said, the locker rooms, the bus rides, me, Magic and Coop always going to the movies on the road, every everywhere we went. Uh, the family gatherings that pat Riley would make it. He made it a family atmosphere, you know, so that all that stuff matters. That that's what I missed more than any.
Speaker 2: Morning side high your min from the forum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh talk about your your young life in high school life growing up in Inglewood.
Speaker 4: Were growing up in Inglewood. If y'all y'all know Inglewood a little bit, Inglewood wasn't no joke still still ain't.
Speaker 2: You know? Inglewood wasn't no joke. So, I mean we had to go to school.
Speaker 4: We were walked to school seven eight deep because we had to deal with the crips and blood, you know what I'm saying, And if they caught you by yourself or with you know, one another, you know, one of the guys something like that, you know, So we we rolled down, we would pick each other up. And then as we walked down the hill the morning side, you know, we'd beat seven eight deep. So most of the time we didn't even get approached by the gang members, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh. The thing that was a trip though.
Speaker 4: Once I got to my junior senior year, morning started high school and we would be walking around. We got surrounded one day by some crips because one of my boys yelled blood out, you know, just asshole, and they turned around and they jumped out the car. Its like eight of them, six of us, and they you know, they just kind of got in a little circle, and we was like we you know, we're gonna throw down and see what happens.
Speaker 2: You know what we didn't.
Speaker 4: We didn't worry about getting shot, you know, and where you got, you got yours one another. But one of the guys said, you know that's the kid to play basketball. Morning started high school. He recognized you. Yeah, and he's like, yeah, man, world up, you keep doing your thing. They balanced, no, no, so so they did back in those days. If you was an athlete, they was like, man, he could let him, you know, let him go.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: But growing up in Inglewood, you know, it was it was that type of atmosphere that you had to deal with.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: So most of my boys, we all played sports, and we all thought, you know, this is our only way out of here. You know, it's basically getting the basketball, football, baseball scholarship. Uh, you know, but we rolled deep just to try to protect each other. But we were all into the sports, so that's all he was into. So I loved growing up in Inglewood because of the fact that I had all my boys there as well.
Speaker 2: Who any other legendary athletes are so call athletes grow up with.
Speaker 4: You, Elden Campbell, Lisa Leslie. You know Jay Humphrey. Jay Humphrey was I was on sixth Avenue and on one hundred and fourth. He was on eighth Avenue. You know, So we had some guys in the hood that you know, they could ball, and yeah, you know, we all tried to look out for each other.
Speaker 3: You was eighteen years old in the Lakers draft and Magic was the lake of people. What was what was it like back then when they first drafted Magic?
Speaker 2: Oh, it was crazy.
Speaker 4: It was soon as soon as he got drafted, you know, the expectations in LA went went high, you know, because I think we were just a good team in LA after that time, because Jerry West and all those guys that kind of left Will Chamberlain. You know, they won that one that one year in sixty nine or seventy two or something like that when they had the three thirty three game winning streak and they just had a great team. But when Magic came back. It just when Magic got drafted, the excitement in LA became real again. And like you said, Jack, I was at Arizona State. You're watching them, you know, play at Michigan State against Indiana State, which is still one of the most viewed college games ever. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird right, And I watched this guy and I was like, there's no way in hell this guy is a point guard at six ' nine.
Speaker 2: But I got to watch him and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, I've never seen seen nothing like that, because back in our day six nine, you playing four, you ain't bringing the ball up, You're playing down low somewhere, right. So he brought all the excitement back to LA. And then obviously his rookie year, the smile, the charisma and everything, the people.
Speaker 2: Just fell in love with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking to ask you, you got your jersey retired, number eleven retired and after thirty seven years, went back and got your degree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how they feel that was one of my biggest accomplishments, you know, because I had promised my mom I would do that, you know, and I forgot all about it. To be honest with you, I thought, you know, I don't want championships that made a little money.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: My mom on her deathbed reminded me, Wow, She's like, you promised me you were gonna go back and get your degree, and so.
Speaker 2: I had to go ahead. I had to go do it online. And did you actually go back to camp to go online?
Speaker 4: Because at that time, the you know, the pandemic had struck. So I said, well, this is the perfect time to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I went back online classes that were zoom classes that I had to take and everything, which was a trip because the teachers would be.
Speaker 2: Like, I'll be on the zoom class Jack. Teachers like so you are you you Byron Scott? Yeah. I was like yes, yes, ma'am. Okay.
Speaker 4: My husband would go crazy right now, but we got a class to do, so we gonna do this class. But yeah, I had promised my mom I was gonna do it. So thirty seven years later, went back got my diploma. One of my proudest moments. Hopefully one day I get there.
Speaker 2: You could do it.
Speaker 1: You gotta start with high school and then college.
Speaker 2: What she means, you know, I got my host, you got the ge. I don't know about the d I got it real, I gotta you can do it, bro, you could do it, man.
Speaker 1: I got a question, though, BB. Was it packed ten back then?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was pack eight PA when I when I signed to come there Arizona State. They had just moved there a year or two prior to that, so it came to pack ten.
Speaker 1: So but you're the baby face pretty boy back and I know Arizona State was cracking. And then we're also getting obviously to the Laker lifestyle. But what was a su like back then? Because I remember U c l A. We went and I don't mean my disrespect, but we went in. The dude named Curtis Millich saw the little player but just looked like a gremlin. He had like three bad ones. After the game, I'm like, damn, this is what Arizona State is like? Like what was the what was off the court life like? Back of Arizona State?
Speaker 2: It was fun. Let's just let's just keep it in a good time, right, real good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I heard Arizona State was fun.
Speaker 2: Man. It was like seven seven girls every guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, yeah, I got my seven plus somebody else's a couple of other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just leave it a Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just needed you to stand at as all I needed. I had a good three years out there, nineteen eighty three, fourth overall pick. But you're going down south a little bit more to the to the San Diego Clippers. Your thoughts with that before you find out you're traded to the Lakers.
Speaker 4: Initial thoughts was, I was happy, Number one, I'm in the indo that first off, you know what I'm saying. I was like, I just wanted to get to the NBA. That's that's the is I told players later on easy party is getting drafted. The hardest part is staying in that league for ten, twelve, fifteen years, you know what I'm saying. So being drafted by the Clippers, I was like, well, you know, good thing is it's not too far from home. You know, my mom and dad, my family didn't come down the same nigga and watch it me play. So my initial reaction was like, this is cool.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: Okay. Had you been prior high school days or even college days, been to the form to watch the game, Yeah, okay, So what's the first time like as a Laker now stepping on that floor?
Speaker 2: Oh, it was.
Speaker 4: It was surreal because again, those were the situations I dreamed about, you know, playing in the forum. But I didn't know my first year. I thought four or five years. My whole plan, to be honest with you, it was like, I'm gonna get drafted by somebody else because the Lakers can't drafted. They you know, they winning, so they're gonna be way down there at the twenty something your level. So I'm gonna be drafted in that team somewhere in there, and I'm gonna play for this team, and then four years later, I'm gonna be with the Lakers.
Speaker 2: That was your plan.
Speaker 4: That was my plans, right, I'm gonnaigning with the Lakers as a free agent, you know. So to get traded to the Lakers my rookie year and be able to put the uniform on and go out on the court, I was like this, this is unbelievable, you know.
Speaker 2: So it was a dream come true.
Speaker 1: You go to the finals four times in your first five seasons, Yeah, that's insane. Three and one record eighty four, lose to Boston in seven, eighty five, beat Boston in six eighty seven, beat Boston in six and then eighty eight beat Pistons in seven. Some people never make it your first five years. You're in there four times, like what are you pinching yourself? Are you just going out there and hooping every night? And just like we got to continue to stack these titles.
Speaker 4: I think it was a little bit of both, you know, Bob McAdoo, my rookie year, we lost, like you said, to Boston, you know the game that they closed line, you know, Kurt Rampis, Kevin McHale took him out, changed a whole complex. But no, not to cut you off. No one got even kicked out that right, No, it was just upo. You know, bench is cleared. Everybody go back to the bench.
Speaker 2: You know. Rambow went after him, you know, and that's who pushed him.
Speaker 1: James pushed him.
Speaker 2: James and said, I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I just pushed him.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't let him go, which he should have, you know, and then you know, the game you know, starts back. But we forgot about the game. We we all of a sudden started thinking about getting his ass back.
Speaker 2: Mental you know, we want to get them back for.
Speaker 4: That physical you know, for the physical cality that they played at that game at that time, the way he took him out, we thought that was just a cheap shot. So we really forgot about playing the game of basketball. That's why I feel we lost that series. The next year we came back and we was like, we're gonna play any style they want to play. If they want to play physical, we're gonna play that prepared. We were really prepared, you know, and so much that you know, at the end of that even middle of that series, they were talking about how physical we were, and they complaining that we're doing you know, we're having cheap shots and all this shit right here. So it was, it was it was a changing of the guards in that sense. But the second that second year, my second year, we win the championship in eighty five, and Bob McAdoo summed it up perfect. In the locker room we're celebrating, he said, you a lucky motherfucker.
Speaker 2: You are lucky. I said, why you say that, dude? You know how many years it took me to get a champion, you.
Speaker 4: Know, because McAdoo was the leading scoring in the league and everything, he was putting up numbers. You know how many years it took me to get a championship. Yo, ass get one in your second year and you've been to the finals too straight. And it hit me right then that he's right, Hell yeah, I'm lucky because my first two years, I'm in the finals. My next four years, I'm in the finals three more times. And I realized that that just doesn't happen to anybody. You know, you got to be blessed and put in the situation they even get there.
Speaker 2: And I was. I was there four out of five years, you know, I was. I was like, like mcadu said, I was blessed.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I didn't take it for granted.
Speaker 1: Believe Larry Bird legendary player, but legendary ship talker. He talked to us about talk to us about Larry his game and his ship talking.
Speaker 4: Look, Larry Bird was first of all, I don't think we give him enough credit for how good he was, for how great.
Speaker 2: That that dude was. Man, Larry Bird was the real ship people.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: You know in the story about him telling you know, Doug MO, you better put a black guy on me, all that shit's true because he was like, you disrespected me putting a white guy on me. Ain't no white guy can guard me, he better put a brother on me. I mean, that's how he was. And then they couldn't do nothing with him. He said, only one the only one that could was cool. He said the coop was the only one that could really guard him. He called him the best defensive player's ever seen, right, and that's that's that's big time. But Larry would talk mucho ship. He tell you where he's going. You know, he catches shooting and then you jump and he tells you, man, you jump up, but you don't.
Speaker 2: You that damn high.
Speaker 4: He was just the biggest trash talking that I that I've ever seen. But I think in the thirty for thirty I even said, I said, but I guess I ain't trash talking if you're backing it up right, fact, you know what I'm saying. He's telling you what he gonna do, and he's doing it, So I guess, you know, he's just it's just him being a prophet and telling you exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Do one he's gonna do it, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hey, Larry Bird was, uh, you know, one of the greatest players I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Where is he in the hierarchy of the game because I think he said, he's someone who gets looked over for some reason, maybe because he is white, or maybe because he wasn't athletic, but he had all the game in the world. Where is he at kind of in the hierarchy on the all time list? Top ten team?
Speaker 4: Definitely top ten. You got to be in the top ten, And I think, like you said, he's overlooked. I think, you know, just like anything else, you know, time has a way in just getting the past, making people forget about the past. And if you if you go and you ask guys, you know, I'm sixty now sixty three, but if you go back twenty years now when I was forty, you asked guys about Larry Bird, they tell you, oh, you know, and you know, brothers at the barbershop. Oh that's a bad white boy. They give you cross. That's the bad white boy right there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So if you go way back, he probably would be in the top ten. But I think right now today's game and today's world, the way we're talking about your players right now, definitely top ten.
Speaker 1: Where did your so Coop said that high socks and wrist bands came from his grandmother of not really being able to see him when he finally got to play in the high school game of the week.
Speaker 2: I mean, who's that damn black?
Speaker 4: I was thinking the same thing. If he whatever colored uniform he got on, how can you not see him? I know the games are at night, but damn they're still in the building. That's pretty lit up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So gold uniform and you got to put on white to be seen. That's crazy cool, that's good. I asked him the same thing. You wasn't black enough that you didn't stand out at the first place. Understanding, but okay.
Speaker 1: Where'd your biker shorts come come into play?
Speaker 4: Biker shorts came into play because I just thought the damn shorts were just too damn small.
Speaker 2: I was like, you'll be seeing my ass cheeks up. I mean, these things just too small.
Speaker 4: So I just started I decided to wear the bike cheeks the bike shorts because I asked Gary B. I said, do we got you know, purple and gold? He was like, no, we only got blue. I was like, well, I'm gonna wear these, you know, instead of the jock give me these. I'm gonna wear these. Put my you know, put my shorts on us because these shorts just too damn small. Became and start for a minute, and I had the risk. I had no idea, and I had my wristband right here, and people after, why you wear the wristband right there? I said, well, most of the time I would wear it there just to kind of wipe my face off from sweat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I said.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like I was trying to make a you know, trying to be stylish and none there something white but the but the biker shorts.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, these shorts are too damn small. I need something to you know.
Speaker 1: Motherfuckers that during that era starting to wear the biker shorts with nothing no shorts on top.
Speaker 2: Who did that?
Speaker 1: A lot of Yeah though, come on, man, yeah, everyone was wearing but they had they had the straight there was no shorts on top, like the biker shorts was in and like the mid I remember when I was little, like mid to late eighties, Like, motherfuckers are just wearing biker shorts no shorts over the town.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they say, there's two things that never lie, numbers and biker shorts.
Speaker 2: So you wed it.
Speaker 4: With biker shorts, I said, baby, you should not not you should not have these own, but okay, you do.
Speaker 2: Your back up.
Speaker 3: I see a lot of y'all walking around here with bodies on looking like restlers.
Speaker 2: Look, shouldn't have moaned some of y'all shouldn't have them.
Speaker 1: It ain't got nobody who told us yesterday about Magic leader ship ultimate leader. But like your pregame ritual was with the music and kind of quizzing guys and what their habits are.
Speaker 2: Add to that, like what what what?
Speaker 1: What was that environment like with him and if anyone else you know, had a prominent voice as well as far as leadership and kind of just steering the ship of those teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was crazy.
Speaker 4: Our team was so cool because we knew Magic was the leader. Captain Kareem he was the captain, you know, but we knew Magic was our leader, but we had you know, Coop was kind of our emotional leader, you know what I'm saying. Coop was our guy that you know, just kind of jumped around and just tried to get everybody going. And the great thing about Magic being the leader, Magic had no problem with everybody jumping on him when he messed up.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's That's how you are a great leader. True sign of a leader that you you know, hey, you you you accept the responsibility as well. You know, you talk.
Speaker 4: One of these leaders are sitting there saying, you know, he messed up. But when somebody tried to tell you you messed up, you looking at them like they're crazy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He never had that type of problem.
Speaker 4: So we we would always and we were the three Musketeers meet him and Coop, you know, so I would be the one normally would jump on Buck Buck come on, God damn it, let's go you right, be you right, come on, come on? You know I mean that that was that we held each other accountable. Uh, but we also pumped each other up.
Speaker 2: Man. You know, we wasn't a group of guys that the talk shit to other teams when we played.
Speaker 4: We just played. We talked shit to each other, you know, to get us scoring against the other team. Maxwell Vernion, Maxwell.
Speaker 2: Who I love. That's my dude, right, Mad Max? Mad Max. He was guarding Magic in Houston. He's like, I don't need no damn help. I got his ass.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: So we was like, okay, so we get to the third quarter and Magic doing what he's doing.
Speaker 4: He just you know, getting everybody involved, and now we want to post him up against Max going into the fourth quarter, and uh, we start posting him up, you know, and we talked and ship to Max, I say, hey, Buck, he said, he got your ass. Okay, okay, b okay, throwing it to him in the post. He starts scoring, right Max, heymn, y'all need to come.
Speaker 2: Down there and help. That's sixth Nights, you know.
Speaker 4: The first time Magic turned around, no no, no, but you said you don't need no help, right, And that was just our team, you know, so.
Speaker 2: We just kept pumping him up. He's like he can guard you, Buck, he said. So.
Speaker 4: I mean, we just really had a group of guys and if Cap says something, it was like if hunting it was long man. If he said let's go get that at man, we was like Cap ready. So we just kind of kept each other accountable. But our leadership, you know, the main guy was Magic, and he was such a great leader because he was you know, he was a guy that was tough on you, but he also showed you nothing but love.
Speaker 2: You know, he wanted you to do.
Speaker 1: What And I also heard him tell say one time in one of his speed, Like he knew, like you can't talk to everybody the same way. He knew how to talk and push buttons with everybody on the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was like I said he was. He was a coach on the floor, you know what I'm saying. He knew, he knew all of us. You know, if we went four or five times down the floor, he would be like, oh no, I got to get beat the ball this time. You know, we've been hitting James, been hitting Cap And he was one of those guys that like, I get mine, you know when I want to Matt, you could have average thirty, easy, you could average thirty. But he knew that that wasn't the best thing for the team, right. You know, so we knew, Like you said, he knew the posts of everybody on our team.
Speaker 1: What are some of the difficulties because we've seen it. I don't know about your era, but I've seen it in my era. Guys that come to LA and can't necessarily handle the pressure of the lights in l A and and people talk like that, Hey that's a myth.
Speaker 2: It's real, It's really what is it?
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 2: It's the LA lifestyle?
Speaker 4: You know, you come here and you got you got money, you on the Lakers, so you got everybody tugging at you. You know, women, dudes are tugging at you for business deals and this and that and the other.
Speaker 2: Uh. It is not a myth, it is it's a lifestyle. It's something that happens here in l A a lot.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: We used to love for teams to come here and have to, you know, play us on a.
Speaker 4: Friday, and they got here Wednesday, Thursday, so we know when they come to the game's gone dog and then we're gonna get up and down the floor. So yeah, it's just it's and you notice Matt and Jack, it's a mindset when you come to l A. If you if you've never been to l A for uh extended period of time, and you're a guy from the country, and all of a sudden, these women are in the lobby, the.
Speaker 2: Dog, it's hard to resist.
Speaker 4: And magic he was sending women, That's what I heard, was sending women to the damn hotel.
Speaker 1: The women's in the lobby and then sent to the hotel.
Speaker 4: That wasn't a joke, right, No, dominic Wiggins, He's like, hey, Dominicque I got got a couple of friends.
Speaker 2: They gonna come.
Speaker 4: He told us about that women. Yeah, until they star players. Right, So y'all, man, it wasn't it just just how we rolled in l a back in the.
Speaker 1: Right, No, no cell phone cameras and.
Speaker 2: You had to be there, Yeah, you had to be there live and memoricks. Baby, it's straight up like that.
Speaker 1: Why do you feel you got a chance to play with Cap? And I think also he's another person thin gets over in the hierarchy of the game. Why do you think no one else has been able to develop or mimic because it's a mimic and copycat league. You know, we saw Kobe emulate might a tee to a t. Why no one ever tried to emulate arguably the most unstoppable shot ever created.
Speaker 4: You know what I heard matter is that it wasn't a cool shot. It didn't look Okay, I said it didn't look cool.
Speaker 2: Scored thirty eight thousand points. Why does it have to look cool?
Speaker 4: And nobody could stop it he either missed or made You could do about it. Yeah, it wasn't like you could your block it and all that. I mean, I think in all the years that I played with him all the years that I watched him play before I got to lead, I saw one person blocking maybe two, and I think Ralph Sampson was one.
Speaker 2: But it's weak side. It wasn't a guy on the ball, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, almost like, hey, who's upstairs? Oh the wind? Oh okay, I thought we had some I thought we had some cush ups.
Speaker 4: So I only saw one guy block it, and that was from the week side. But you couldn't do nothing with that shot. So for guys not to even try that shot, it's just amazing to me, you know, because I had a guy practice.
Speaker 2: And again, I'm my first year of coaching.
Speaker 4: I'm thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight, probably my third year, Jack, you probably was gone. We had a seven foot African kid in Jersey that we're trying to do it, you know, trying to bring him into development.
Speaker 2: So some uh you know I'm talking. I can't remember his name though, yeah, yeah, I got yeah.
Speaker 4: And so he was like, I block any shot. I was like, I said, I tell you what, I'm six four, you can't block my sky And I shot this shot about ten times in practice on it. He couldn't block it. Yeah, And I said, I'm six four. That's why I don't understand why it was a shot that wasn't duplicated like you said over the years. But from what I heard, gods were like, it's got a cool shot.
Speaker 3: It's a young kid that's coming up in the G League and he played for the Okay see a little bit too.
Speaker 2: He he plays it.
Speaker 3: He shoots it every game and it's effective. Like short guy, but he got a little running hook. But that's his that's his go to Jack.
Speaker 2: You can't block it, can't do nothing. It's effective. To bro, you can't.
Speaker 1: I think you get your arm bar out over the top.
Speaker 3: So just imagine being seven foot and having that right we tamp with seven to women that you you need to get block it.
Speaker 2: Women need to get there.
Speaker 1: I know a dude in the hood named hook Shot Mike.
Speaker 2: Who was.
Speaker 1: That shot Mike Hooks Yeah, Fresno, Yeah, hook shot And he had a Jerry cur And you couldn't block Iteah to Jerry Crow, go back real quick dealing. There was something else I wanted to Obviously, we lost a legend in the game. And and and Jerry rest rest in peace. Coop told us yesterday you were one of Jerry's kids with him, speak to his influence on the game and his knowledge of the game and emotional speaking about speaking about.
Speaker 2: Jerry was.
Speaker 4: The best general man. You're the best assessment of talent that I've ever seen. And Jerry and I had multiple conversations about basketball.
Speaker 2: Jerry.
Speaker 4: I always called Jerry my basketball dad because every decision I made when it came to coach, and I called Jerry, you know, and Logo would call me right back and I would tell him I just got an offer to coach this team. Jersey was the first, and he got me the assistant coaching job of Sacramento.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: He called uh, Jeff Petrie and Rick Adelman. He said, I heard you guys looking for a coach. Byron Byron Scott. I think would be a really good assistant coach for you guys. He wanted to get me with with Phil Jackson's on the bench with the Lakers, and Phil was like, I got my own crew, you know. So Jerry was like, I want you to come in and be a sister GM. I said, I'm not a suit guy. You know, I got to be on that floor, you know. So he made the call to Sacramento. I got that job, and then when I got offered the New Jersey job, I called Jerry. I said, Logo, what do you think about the Jersey? And you called him logo? Yeah, I said what do you think about New Jersey? And I ran down the players. We talked for like an hour and a half. He said, I think that'd be a good job. I think you could help them, And the same thing with New Orleans Cleveland. I called him about every job ever got, you know, so uh you talking about somebody that was very instrumental in my development as a basketball player and as a man. I saw how he treated other players with nothing but respect. But he had no fear with anybody. He came to the locker room one game after we played somebody. We played and we won the game, but Magic didn't play well, and which is a rarity, you know, when he don't play, you know well, and Jerry said, you played, like shit, what's going on with you?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: Magic just kind of looked and just kind of walked away. But he didn't, you know, Jerry West, he's a logo. He didn't care. So you talk about somebody know that, you know. He brought Coop he made the trade for me, you know, he made the trade for Cap. He got your magic, I mean everybody. He brought that team together, you know, so we're unfortunately for us, we lost an icon.
Speaker 2: Still.
Speaker 4: I think the only the only person inducted into the Hall of Fame as a player a GM and he's at like two, two or three times he's been inducted and he's the only one ever, you know.
Speaker 2: So he you know, he was something special.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: You came into the league eighty four in the same year David Stern came in as a commissioner. Around that time, James Worthy said the league was too black and too drug infested. Can't talk about that. When you came in the league, How was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was crazy back then because cocaine was running rapid, you know in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Back drug.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a hell of a drug, is right, obviously, because it's you. It ruled a whole lot of your brothers lives, man, and you know, it just goes to show you get money. Sometimes that money is the worst drug, you know, because some guys they misuse it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it was running rapid.
Speaker 4: I don't think the part, you know, because the black I mean, the players that we had was just brothers that can just ball. What David Stern did come and do is he brought Uh. He solidified the league as far as a brand, you know, he made it marketable, you know, because I know when he got to the league, there was four teams making money, you know, five years later and then obviously I still give Magic and Bird all the due respect because when they came into the league and he took off, you know, it was watchable again. You know, the games wouldn't take the lay. I don't even know if you remember that, because I remember in college, I'm watching tape the.
Speaker 2: Lay games, championship championship games, not regularly.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm watching games in my dorm at eleven o'clock at night of the finals. You know, when those two guys got to the NBA, it changed the whole complexity of the league.
Speaker 2: Every team started making money, you know.
Speaker 4: And and David, as tough as he was as a commissioner, he was still fair, you know, and he wanted to play.
Speaker 2: He wanted it for the players to do well. You know. So I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that about you know, David stern that he was all about the league and the players as well.
Speaker 1: He found a way to market individuals the right way within a team sport without making it making any division. Like he knew he had to get some stars. And as you said, as you know, pushing the pushing, you know, m j or Exkin me pushing Larry and Magic. And then along came Michael understanding that hey we had this is a team sport one thousand percent, but we can you know, shine a light on stars within that concept. And that was a concept that I don't think a lot of leagues still have or understand now.
Speaker 4: He was, he was ahead of his time. David understood the value of marketing certain guys because it's gonna bring attention to not only those guys into the league, but to the teams as well. And I think, you again, you got to, you know, take your hat off to him because he was a visionary as well.
Speaker 2: He taught about your overseas.
Speaker 4: You know, bringing the game, making the game global, you know, so you know, he did an unbelievable job of getting this lead to where it is today. And Adam Silver, who I love, I think, is taking it. He's going to take it to the next level. He was a perfect guy, but it put in a bad situation when he took it over.
Speaker 1: I was on that coperate team he had to fire old board get out to lay. But I also think, with all the respect because I think he's done a great job, I think he also has a problem on his hands, like how do you how do you clean this game? How do you get this game enjoyable again and then make it the game that the world loves.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's no doubt about it that he has a problem on his sad and he has his work cutout. Like I said, when you get viewership down this much, you know, there's there's a there's a serious issue that you got to deal with, you know, and it starts with the players, you know. So we got to figure out a way to get this game back to where the viewers love watching it again, you know, because right now it's not attractive.
Speaker 3: It's not Edge of the cy basketball. No, it's not basketball. I mean we as players ex players. How many how many games.
Speaker 2: Do you go to? Jack? How many games you go?
Speaker 1: I don't really go to games, but I used to consistently watch games. I've probably watched forty games thirty five. I've watched two games this year.
Speaker 4: Jack, I've gone to two games, and I'll probably go to eight to ten more because number one, my wife likes going to the games, you know, so I'll go to the games, but I do not watch an NBA game until the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I watched Collage, well women's basketball, that's all I want. Yeah, now I will watch that because they played because they played the right way. You know what I'm saying. They played the right way. So the NBA got a major problem on their heads as far as that's concerned.
Speaker 4: And most of the time, I won't watch the playoffs until they get to the you know, conference finals, in the finals when it so that's when it gets interesting. So they got, you know, a major problem. Adam is a guy who I feel is in is in the right seat and the right guy to take it over and get it back on track.
Speaker 3: But it's gonna take some time. Yep, agreed, battlely MJ. What was that like you told you told the story before about say m I may say B fifty to.
Speaker 2: Just like that.
Speaker 4: It was it was most of that, but I would look look he was he was coming off a bus and I had hurt my ankle two games prior to something, and uh, he gets off the bus and he said, be what's up.
Speaker 2: I said, what's up? MJ said, I heard drink playing to night. I said, nah.
Speaker 4: He said, what's wrong? I said, my ankle. He said, damn, who gonna guard me? I said, Anthony Peeler. He said that rookie fifty.
Speaker 2: This was exact.
Speaker 4: I said, you're gonna give me fifties. I was gonna give you fifty, but now he said I'm gonna give him fifty. Then I was like, damn. So I come to the arena and I said, Anthony, let me just give you some advice on playing MJ. I said, first of all, don't be all physical like you always trying to be in rough with the guy Sai, because he gonna take that shit personal. I said, give me space. Make him shot jump shots all night. They challenge you, I said, and if they go in this, you know that's that's that's the bottom line. But if you get up on him, now you're getting to the bucket. He getting to the free throw line. I said, he already said getting fifty.
Speaker 2: I got him.
Speaker 4: I got him be I said, oh okay, So every time m J scored, he looked over the bitch at me because I was just sitting there like this, right, he had fifty folk and missed the wide open dunk.
Speaker 2: You know, had a breakaway dunk. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Heard that game and he did it like was nothing. Looked at me every time I said nasty. The dude was a man playing against boards.
Speaker 2: Damn there.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was one of those guys. You know, I didn't fear anybody, but when I play against himself, I ain't pissing him.
Speaker 2: Off, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the only guy I was. I would look at it. I ain't gonna piss him off. He hit a shot and be a good shot shot him. I said, I ain't pissing him off because I've seen him go for forty fifty like it ain't nothing. Because the guys, you know, being being aggressive or trying to be overly physical with him.
Speaker 2: I said, I ain't pissing him off.
Speaker 4: Everybody else I don't give a ship but him, black Jesus, I ain't messing with him like that.
Speaker 1: Who else was? Who else was problems during that era in the two guard spot that we might not think of. I mean Obviously Dominique was tough. Yeah, but who else at that time?
Speaker 4: You know a name that a lot of people don't remember, probably, but a Rolando black Man. Orlando black Man. I played against Orlando my sophomore year when we played when Arizona State we went to Kansas played Kansas State, right, and just all American guard. My coach is like, you're gonna get a taste of a real two guard that's an All American and we're gonna see how you you know, how you have this? That dude ate me up though, I was like, damn. So when I get to the Lakers, I get to play against him when he was Dallas. You know, I already had mad respect because I saw him play and played against him. But now I've seen him in the NBA. You know, the next couple of years, Orlando Blackman would get buckets. He had game and he was a good dude, very competitive, but he was tough man.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, he was married to Jenny Jones to Talk the talk show host for a while. You remember Jenny Jones that, right? I remember Jones? Yeah, I think that I'm not mistaken. All I know is he was a problem that he was a problem.
Speaker 3: You were critical about JJ Riddick, and when I've read it, I understand what you meant about it. I don't think it was critical, But you said JJ has no coaching experience whatsoever, which at the time he didn't, and it is hard jumping in that seat for the first time as a head coach. I agree with you said, I know what you meant by that, especially being black. JJ black, so it's it's a tough, tough job, and really even tougher for guys who have never had any coaching experience. The reason why I understood that is because I've seen so many black coaches get putting shit situations and expect to save teams and they get fired. But I've seen white coaches be in that same position, don't ship teams and lose and still keep their job, and they're allowed to go through that phase where they learning that's learned to become a great coach, and they can stay keeping their jobs. Blacks don't have the experience. So when you said that about JJ, I understand what you meant because he going into the Lakers, that's a that's a big job right there, one of the biggest jobs to have, then you're going there the first time.
Speaker 2: You never had no coaching experience.
Speaker 3: You have to be worried about JJ at some point if you especially boy like guys, guess that's our homeboy. So I was worried for him too, because even though he has a basketball IQ, you've never coached. And every time I talk to somebody about coaching that's played with us that's older than us.
Speaker 2: Man, Coaching is a hard ass job. We take a lot of time.
Speaker 3: So I understood that because you talk about what what you were thinking when you said that pretty.
Speaker 4: Much just what you said. I've been in that seat, you know, hottest seat in sports. I've been in that seat numerous of the times. And like you said, i've been I've been in that seat where I've been put in a situations where I know i got a team that ain't got crap. Yeah you know, and they expect you to make, you know, make something happen without the talent, and they don't give you that time.
Speaker 2: To do it to develop it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I've been in that situation a few times.
Speaker 4: Right, So what I'm saying about JJ is that, listen, you have no coach at least I went to Sacramento for two years as assistant coach.
Speaker 2: You have no coaching experience whatsoever.
Speaker 4: You're sitting in the hotes seat in the NBA because that's the Lakers, right the hot to see in the NBA. So this ain't gonna be a bet of roses. It's gonna be tough, it's gonna be hard, and he's gonna learn on the way. But what I also said was that good thing he's got Nate McMillan, Scottie Brooks, some assistant coaches who have that coach experience experience. So now the biggest thing with him is now you got to listen to those guys, you know, give him that respect of being there and doing that. And you know, we all have our own philosophies on how the game should be played and how we want to utilize certain players, but you have to also be able to when you're in that city, you have to be able to make adjustments on the fly sometimes, you know, and sometimes that shit ain't gonna be going like you wrote ridded down on the board, you know, And when it don't go that way, that's when it really finds out if you can coach or not, because if you can't make those adjustments right away.
Speaker 2: You're in trouble. You're in trouble. But like you said, I wasn't being negative towards J. J L any thing like that.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying I'm just stating the audience, which is the fact that he had no coaching experience. But like they, like I said, when he got the job, well, the good thing is he got some guys who have experience. Now if he listens to those guys, then he'll be just fine. Normally, truth sounds like hate to people who hate the truth. Look, look, I don'et been there, done that. Yeah, I don't have great life. Ain't no reason no hate on nobody. You know what I'm saying. I'm at that age right now where I'm like, look, I'm I'm at I'm at peace with myself.
Speaker 2: I'm people, I'm golfing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna speak Yeah, I play golf two three times a week, having a good time. I'm gonna speak my mind because that's all I know. I'm gonna be honest, but I'm not. I'm not, you know, putting down nobody or anything like that. Because the guy got a job and all that. I'm like, look, bro, do what you do. I wish you all of less because for you, yeah, I've been there, done that. Before we get you out of here. You had young Kobe as a teammate, and Kobe at the end talk to us about that journey as a mentor brother to him early on and then catching him at the end of his career as as coach. You know what, Matt, I had the pleasure of seeing the maturation of Kobe Bryant that that that, you know, it hurts me and it it makes me happy in the same way, if you know what I mean. You know what I'm saying because I remember that like it was yesterday and I was doing this special type of thing for ESPN Entertainment and Andy Thompson y'all know Andy, Michael Thompson's brother. He wanted to have a day with me of going around with Kobe and Shaq and then d Fish and just spend the day just talking about basketball and life in general.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So this was one of those days where we're just done with practice, I'm all miked up, and I said show Boat, you know, that's what our nickname was for him at that time. Show bowt come in here, man, I said, this is my main man. Because we would sit on the bench together, we would sit on the bus together. And the thing that was so different about him at eighteen that he would be sitting there asking you every damn question about basketball, you know, you know, you know, just you know, how was it guarding this guy? You know, how was it guarding this And we would just talk basketball.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And so after like a month and a half or so of practicing and everything, and he would just he would go hard in practice. He would be there two hours before practice shooting. You know, I came to the gym and I would be going there early. I got to get my treatment. You know, I'm thirty six years old. I gotta get my treatment, get loosen up and get warmed and get ready for practice. He out there shooting and they ain't even got the lights on at the farm. I was like, Gary, tell them, motherfuckers to put the lights on, you know, like you know, if he gonna be out there, tell them to put the lights on so that they start putting the lights on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: But sitting with him and being with him his rookie year and watching how how much he wanted.
Speaker 2: It, you know.
Speaker 4: And even in that conversation there I said with him, I said, you know, what do you want to accomplish in this league? Said, I want to be one of the greatest ever. And he didn't. It wasn't like he said it and he didn't believe it. He was just saying it for the cameras. He was dead serious, you know. And I looked at him, I was like, Oh, it will be because I'm seeing him every day.
Speaker 2: It will work. Yeah, I see your work ethic. You got the talent.
Speaker 4: Now all you need is experience, you know, knowing when to take a game over, knowing when to you know, defer to somebody else, you know, which he never was gonna do anywhere.
Speaker 2: Companies like I didn't defer to nobody, you know. But that was him, you know, that was him.
Speaker 4: He had a he had an inner confidence about himself that there was nothing he couldn't do on that basketball court, and you had to love that. And then having him the last two years. I tell I've told a lot of people this. It was my last two years of coaching and it was two of my most fun years. And the team wasn't that terrible. We were terrible. We had you know, Jordan Clarkson who was young, you know, Julius Brand who was young. But I knew they were gonna be good, but they were young, you know. And then we had a bunch of other bets that they didn't give a shit no more, you know. And so my job, as I told Cove, I said, look, my job really, because we ain't gonna win a lot of games, my job really is to get you to Game eighty two in your twentieth season, relatively healthy, so you can go out the way you want to go out.
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna cut your minutes. I'm gonna tell you what days that you don't need to even be here for practice. I'm gonna tell you there's some games that I just need you to show up at the arena. I don't need you for shoot around. Well'm gonna do shoot around with you. You know what I'm saying. You went through everything as far as coverages, what you need to be here. Just come to the game, look at the board, how we guarden certain things, and we go from there. So it was it was the last two years of us reconnecting too, you know, and we had so much fun just reconnecting, talking each other. He would call me at five, six in the morning, and I said.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 4: I said, I'm just getting up at six. You calling me a five You fucking up my sleep. Let me get that last hour in because I'm gonna be up all night, so doing this and this, and so we were talk at six in the morning, you know, about what we're gonna do at practice that day, or about how we're getting ready for this game, about and it was just it was just great that we reconnected. And he was the first person that I told, besides my son and a couple of other family members, that my mom had passed. He was the first person I told because we were in the locker room together and I was like, I don't even know why I'm here. I just lost my mom. But I know my mom she would want me to be here. And Cole came in and gave me a big hug and everything. Then I had to go out and you know, deal with the media, and they had found out and I said, don't ask me no questions about you want to talk basketball, Let's talk basketball. Anybody asked me a question about my personal life. This interviews over us of course the media, so what do you I'm out, you know, but it was it was two of the best years for me as a coach to spend with him, you know, in his last two years, and that reconnect, the reconnection that we had was even better than I thought it would be.
Speaker 1: Sixty last game. Who goes out with sixty is last game?
Speaker 2: Kobe? Hey, man, yeah, Kobe.
Speaker 4: And if you remember how that game started, he was like, oh for five Yeah, he couldn't throw it in the ocean. And I'm standing there, going, this is not the way I want this in for him. You know, he gets filed hits, a couple of free throws, basket gets big as the ocean, you know. And I remember the last the last quarter, because even at halftime we came in. I said, he ain't coming out. I said, I gave him six minutes arrest first half. I said, but this second half, I ain't taken him out. I said, he's gonna have to play the rest of this game, right, And five six minutes left in the game, I said, you know, KB, you got five six more minutes left in that body. And man, I'm talking about you, talking about the dude that was tired He was like, yeah, and you know him his will yeah, yea, his mental his mental capacity to understand that the moment this is it. It was something I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: Rest in Peaks, quick hitters. First thing to come to mind.
Speaker 3: Let us know, craziest image you could share from the Forum Club.
Speaker 1: And we did and we didn't ask you. Hey, we didn't ask you no foreign questions because Coop said you were married at that time. We didn't want to do. But they got to give us something.
Speaker 4: The craziest image that I remember from the Forum Club, uh, where they had a bathroom up there and somebody was bent over in there and I'm gonna just leave. That was like the craziest Oh my bad, So I'm gonna leave that one at that.
Speaker 1: The Forum Club, we had something like it, but it wasn't to that extent what down down below wasn't down there.
Speaker 2: Something like it where they were sucking down there. It was. There was a lot of doing that. There's a lot of going on.
Speaker 1: You are doing that, Iron Scott's Laker all time, starting fire, It's gonna be oh, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Uh, somebody, you gotta leave somebody.
Speaker 4: Kareem and Wilt and Shack. Oh my god, I gotta go with cap. I'm gonna go with cap.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say James Worthing, Elgie Baylor, James put James at the power forward and bringing Elgin at the small.
Speaker 3: For he's just six man, Jerry West. Yeah, logo, now yeah, I said that, now you you Yeah, No, No, I don't. I don't could being nice.
Speaker 4: He you know, he got one championship, he's been there with four years now, sat year, Saturn. Well if he can get to ten, if he can get to ten years, then I would say, and he can get another another another ring. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. He deserves statue right now. You got to be ten at least ten years. I mean, Lakers standards are different, man. You can't look at it. Look at the statues that they have right now. Everybody's been there ten plus with easy, Yeah, to multiple championship in that uniform, in that uniform, in the purple and gold. I don't give you ship what you did in maroon and gold and white and blue and all that. It don't matter what what did you do when you were with purple and gold? If you got two or three rings. Okay, now we talk if you've been in the league ten plus, now we're talking, but not the lead the Lakers. I mean we made it known to Maurice, Maurice Lucas God, God bless him, rest his soul. We had him from Phoenix and at that time we were flying you know, American Airlines Delta whatever is available, right, and they had eight first class seats. He was like, I've been this league twelve years, but you ain't been with the Lakers, dog, And that's how we talked you this your first ship with the last dog, so cool, magic Kareem. We get the first class, start your ass in the back. And he was pissed and we was like, school to be pissed, but you.
Speaker 2: Ain't been with the Lakers twelve years in this league.
Speaker 4: So that's how we rolled over him. So you know, seven years, he's done great. I mean, obviously he's one of the greatest separate it's no doubt about that. But when when you come to Lakers standards, he got to be here three more years and and get another chip to be to have a statue.
Speaker 2: I agree. Child crush was that who was your childhood crush?
Speaker 4: Childhooush childhood crush. Wow, Pam Greer back in the day, n man, that was my childhood crush. And then it really crushed me when I when I saw Cap with her, I said, I'd be damned. Karine was like, yo, yeah that's my girl.
Speaker 2: Was like so yeah, Pam, Grid was crushed.
Speaker 1: One album with no skips, one album with no skips or record or record with no skips.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a tough one. See, I'm such a huge brother man.
Speaker 4: Who was talking about Frankie listening to Bely Yeah, I mean, you know, I'm good. I'm gonna just got brother guilty pleasure, guilty pleasure besides golf, No guilty pleasure. Guilty pleasures. Apple pile of mold for me an apple pie. That's my that's my I can't do it often, but that's my guilty pleasure.
Speaker 3: If you could see one guest on our show, who would it be? But you have to help us get your answer on the show one guest on your show? Who would it be? Because I love y'all guests. I saw I saw the Magic Man on here you know ship you know what would be big game? James was a good one. I know, big game. But Larry Bird.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, we're trying to contact with him. I would love to see Larry Bird on because he don't talk.
Speaker 1: Talk just talk to us one time, l B, that's Larry Bird.
Speaker 4: Would be great. I don't know if he does podcast and everything, but I would love to see Larry.
Speaker 2: I made the connection Good said he's going to come on the show.
Speaker 3: He wasn't ready when we wanted to do it and All Star time last time, but he said he's definitely gonna do it.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited. Matter fact, I love to see that. Well.
Speaker 1: By Man, we appreciate you again. I grew up being a huge fan and getting to know you over the years as a coach and a man that's been dope, getting to play golf with you. Man, So keep being great, keep uh man, just keep being you.
Speaker 2: I will appreciate.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I got to come see wife and get get my skin together, so tell her me on the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would tell. And also I'm I'm gonna bring something for y'all. Uh, I'm gonna get some. I'm just you gotta tell me where the son because I gotta. I got a cannabis company in New Jersey. Oh yeah, we'll send you my two.
Speaker 2: I gotta, I gotta. I want to send y'all something real.
Speaker 1: Quick too before your show and where where they can find it. You got a show now, so talk about your show.
Speaker 4: Oh my show, Byron Scott's Fast Break, that's my podcast. I gotta get y'all on there too, man, y'all gotta come help you out and bring it. Been on for three three months and you can get into streaming on YouTube and everything, but Byron Scots Fast Breaking. It's been a lot of fun doing that. And like I said, I love watching y'all show though.
Speaker 3: And shout out. Shout out to his son too. I was basically with his son Tom. We was the same age and grew up basically grew up together and now we're still doing bench together with the Big three.
Speaker 2: So shout out his son. That's my boy. I'm a Scott, my boy.
Speaker 1: We gotta get for you, man. We got our little coffee table book and some some knick knacks and Patty Wax and some merch.
Speaker 2: So yeah you go, brother, Thank you brother. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 1: Shout out to our partner, Draft Kings the Crown, it's yours. That's a rap man Byron Scott. You can catch this on the Draft Kings Network and all the Smoke productions you too. We'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 2: Paz m hm mm hmmm
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm,