Speaker 1: It is Draft Day, April twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: This is Jaguars Happy Hours.
Speaker 3: Jaguars Happy Hours brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District.
Speaker 4: And now a guy who's.
Speaker 3: Been known to indulge in a draft or two or three, J P. Chatrick, and welcome in its Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving busy hour ahead on NFL Draft opening night twenty twenty four, we'll go to Brian Sexton and Detroit in about five minutes from Draft Central to get the latest from downtown Detroit ahead of the draft Round one this evening. And then a little later about four thirty Bucket Brooks in Los Angeles joining us. We're on ten Toenexlam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP Shadick with Jeff Logman and Tony Biselli. And here we are on this beautiful night inside EverBank Stadium ahead of the Duval Draft Party. Twenty twenty four. Should be an epic night, guys, Yeah, and I'm looking forward to it. You know, Look, the draft represents a lot of hope for every football team that there is tonight, all thirty two of them are hoping that they're going to be able to get better, and every team's feeling really good about themselves, will be even feeling better for the most part about themselves after tonight.
Speaker 2: What do you think, bo, Well, I think we got a great night. How about the West weather perfect?
Speaker 5: It's perfect, It's I got the stadium set up for the fans, and I think Jeff's right. I mean, this is the time of year where everyone is hopeful and you're trying to find that piece or multiple pieces that kind of help you improve over whatever you did last year, whether that's you know, trying to make the playoffs, trying to win a division, you know, whatever that goal or standard is. As a fan base, ultimately it's to win the whole dang thing. And this is a This is one of those things where this is one of those dates on the calendar you're like, oh, okay, it's about everyone can get excited. So during the season, you know, every weekend, only half the teams are excited at the end of the weekend, But tonight going in, everyone will be excited and then they'll be the handful of fan bases. It'll be booing with the pick, but most will think they.
Speaker 2: Got their guy.
Speaker 3: I remember he look, I got booed.
Speaker 2: I remember watching them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think everybody got booed from being a pick with New York Jets.
Speaker 2: But that's a that's a tradition. But you know, the.
Speaker 3: Perspective that we're given is kind of one from being a fan of the team and also, uh maybe a little bit of a look of somebody that's a little bit more of a fan of a team like me and Tony. But from the perspective of the players tonight is anxiety ridden, you know. I mean, you don't know where you're gonna go unless you're Caleb Williams or Jayalen Daniels or May. I mean, a lot of these guys have a pretty good idea that they're going to go at the top of the draft, but once you get past that, everybody else is like, I don't know what my future holds, and a lot of guys are also looking at I don't know if Tony did this, but I did. I mean I think everybody does at some point when you're a potential draft pick, is you're looking at what the financial future is gonna hold and you know, where am I going to be number one? And what are they going to ask me to do? And then what does the money look like on the slot that I'm gonna get picked? And that's you know, and there's a lot of fun involved in that. But there's a lot of anxiety.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is anxiety, There's no doubt about it. And depending where you get picked, that anxiety can well.
Speaker 3: You didn't have much anxiety. It was quick.
Speaker 5: It was a quick anxiety. I was fourteen. I had a wait a little while. But even even the guys who you know, yes, the first round is tonight, but guys who are going to go in the second, third round and they're you know, some guys who are gonna end up in the second round are hoping that they're gonna get picked the night they'll be disappointed. Guys who thought maybe they were going to be a second round or get pulled up, you know, their excitement.
Speaker 2: But I think what it also represents is.
Speaker 5: The fulfillment of a bunch of guys dreams and the goals that they have set. I mean, I think all of us who play, or most of us who played in this game as a kid, you dreamed about doing it, and this is what you wanted to do, and you had success in high school. Then you go to college and you have success in college, and whether you're a first rounder or a mid rounder, you have a sense you're gonna get drafted. And this is the weekend where though all the hard work, the long journey to get there is kind of fulfilled and you wake up whether it's after tonight or after this weekend, like I am now an NFL player, and it starts a whole new journey. And I think that's also with this represents night on the player side.
Speaker 3: Now let's touch on this. We've got the whole hour here to get to the needs and what they could do at seventeen moves and possibility. But in general, Trent Balky and the person and el staff did a lot of work in free agency to fill some holes with some veteran players. Eric Armstead comes in, a defensive line, Mitch Morris just to name a couple couple of secondary players. So in your opinion, how does that set up the needs now for the Jaguars going into this draft. What are maybe one, two, and three. Well, I think for the most part, you did a good job in free agency of filling those holes, and I think every team wants to do that for the most part, is fill the holes that you have going into the draft so that you can end up picking the best available player. The one hole that the Jaguars did not plug I don't think in free agency was the defensive back spot. When I say defensive back, I'm talking about for the most part, corner. You know, this is a passing league, this is a nickel league, this is a dime league. You need as many corners as you possibly can. And you release Darius Williams and you replaced him with a guy from Baltimore. Okay, I understand that, But even last year with Darius Williams, you were searching for that guy to be the third sure thing and you really didn't have it, and it ended up being a whole bunch of different guys that played at some point. So I think that's probably the number one need that really jumps out as corner. And then Tony and I both kind of had the same opinion. We felt that this team needed to get better and more physical upfront with the offense and defensive lines. And I'll let Tony speak more to the defensive line. But I still think there's a glaring need for this football team on the defensive side, whether it's inside or outside. The more dogs that you can get to get after the quarterback, the better off that you're gonna be. And again, I don't care if it's edge or inside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they addressed Nickel Savage. I mean, at the end of the day, yes, his position says safety, but if you go watch him at Green Bay, he was a nickel player. I mean that's really where he spent a bunch of his time, and that's more of his build as well. They need the outside corner. Jeff's right about that with Darius Williams and coming back, I still go back to if you look at this team last year, which where was the biggest void or where did they struggle the most? And in my opinion, that isn't being physical. I'm both lines of scrimmage and I'm going to focus on the offensive line because we could not. We were one of the worst teams in third and short. We were not very good in the goal line. Are your arts per carry? Dwindled as the year went on and we struggled to control line of scrimmage, especially against some of the more physical teams we played in the back half of the.
Speaker 3: Year, which there's a number of them in the division.
Speaker 2: And there's a number of those in the division.
Speaker 5: So if you look at that group, I like the Mitch Morris the signing, and he's a veteran hard nos guy who knows how to play the game. I think that's a good addition in the center. But it's pretty much this you know, usual character cast of characters. Besides that, and we are not a big group of people as far as offensive line goes. If you look across the league, and I think that's your start in five and so I don't think Trent and Doug will go in the first round with an offensive linement. But I still think over draft weekend that is a position group that you have to build depth young guys, big physical guys on the offensive line as well as the defense line. I agree with Jeff Eric Armstead, great signing, but all Eric Armstad is also highly productive, very good player, but also coming off injuries and getting up there and getting an age and so you know, how long can he perform at the level I hope for a long time and if we can get you know, three years a little bit like Clay's game awesome because he's a top notch player.
Speaker 3: But still, I'm not shutting any bodies. I'm not shutting the door on offensive line.
Speaker 2: Though in round one. Yeah, in round one, you're not.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not. We'll come back to that in just a little bit.
Speaker 2: By the way, I like it. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I'm always with me.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I just don't think that's where they're gonna go.
Speaker 3: Whether you need air, electric, or plumbing service, Donovan is always a good call and they've been trusted by customers for almost forty years. Trust them to deliver fast, reliable service to your home. To tonight's lam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logoman, Tony Boselli, we'll hear from Bucky Brooks in about twenty minutes or so.
Speaker 1: Let's go to.
Speaker 3: Downtown Detroit, Michigan. Brian Sexton is standing by at Draft Central and it's been a long time coming for the city of Detroit. Brian, good afternoon.
Speaker 1: Hey how are you guys.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you, obviously this is a town that's very proud of the Lions. The last couple of seasons, and everywhere you look there's a sea of Lion blue. I'll let you guess what most Lions fans have said to us and our crew when they've seen the Jaguar logo, right, thanks for Hutchinson. They're a little sparse, spicy, they have a lot to say. So it's a kaleidoscope of NFL fans here the Draft. It left New York after the twenty fourteen season and went to Chicago and Philly and Dallas and Nashville, and you guys know, it's become an epic event. I mean, fans just flooding from all over the country. It feels sort of like a mini Super Bowl week in terms of the events and the people in the places.
Speaker 1: This place is going to be hopping tonight.
Speaker 2: Brian.
Speaker 3: It looks like the weather in Detroit is just custom made for a little outdoor event in the Draft. It looks like everybody is light jacket and the weather and everything else looks to be good, and the skies are blue.
Speaker 6: Listen, the NFL yesterday was worrying about it because it was forty degrees with a wind chill that felt like thirty, and it was as gray as could be. It felt exactly like you'd expect the Upper Midwest to be in late April, and of course, with the draft going to Green Bay next year, it wasn't looking too good. This is a Chamber of Commerce day, as folks have filed in, and I have to tell you we were at the player event yesterday with the prospects, a lot of national media there, and all the talk here is is that the Jaguars are going to get a shot at one of those two corners.
Speaker 1: There's two teams to.
Speaker 6: Watch, Philadelphia, which currently is behind the Jaguars, and the Colts, which currently are two spots in front of the Jaguars.
Speaker 1: Just depending on.
Speaker 6: How the board rolls out with quarterbacks, if Michael Pennix goes in the top fifteen picks, it's likely that one of these two kids, either Quinyan Mitchell or Terry and Arnold will be sitting there at seventeen if that's the angle the Jaguars want to go.
Speaker 1: I had the chance to talk to both of them yesterday.
Speaker 6: They're impressive young men, both Floridians, by the way, Terry and Arnold from Saint John Paul the Second High School in Tallahassee and Mitchell from Williston, Florida, about twenty miles south of Gainesville.
Speaker 1: So both of them are eager to come home.
Speaker 6: Both of them possessed the sort of qualities that can play press even if neither one of them played press predominantly in college, and they're thought to be the top two corners right behind them, there's a surge right now for Cooper to Jean who is one of those Swiss army knife guys, and he ran faster than both of the Alabama cornerbacks at the combined. And then Nate Wiggins from Clemson, who I was told yesterday is a guy that probably finds his way into the bottom of the first round even though he's only one hundred and seventy five pounds. He's got blazing speed, ran a four point two eight, and most NFL teams think he's guy that can recover if he gets beat off the line of scrimmage. So all the conversation here regarding the Jaguars and everything between about fifteen and twenty.
Speaker 2: Has been cornered Brian.
Speaker 5: Every draft weekend there's a buzz or there's a story developing, Guys falling rising.
Speaker 2: What are you hearing in Detroit?
Speaker 5: Any big news come in over the last twenty four to forty eight.
Speaker 6: Hours, Really, Tony, the story has been the quarterbacks. You figure there's four that are taken near the top ten. And then does the kid from Washington Pennix Junior. Is he the guy that goes? And the story is he's probably gonna go thirteen to the Raiders who don't want to miss a chance. They don't want to get cute and back up into the first round and take a chance on losing him. There's three teams that everybody's looking at to see if they might make noise and move up at quarterback, and those are the Giants are one, the Minnesota Vikings are two, and then the third team is the Denver Brown Goes. All of them are in the quarterback market. They're really the ones that are the tipping points. But we've been to these drafts where there are players who have fallen hard on draft night, and there's no story brewing, at least not at this point about somebody.
Speaker 1: Who is not going to get drafted tonight.
Speaker 6: And by the way, it's interesting there's only thirteen players here. The number has dropped the last couple of years post COVID but it's only thirteen, which is a really low number for a league that's used to having a full stage and players walking across and embracing the commissioner.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a little light tonight.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: Part of the reason for that is I remember when I was, you know, got invited to New York before I knew I was gonna pick. My biggest fear was and I think guys watched the draft and they see guys sitting there camera on them sliding out of the first round.
Speaker 2: You talk about being miserable.
Speaker 3: That's not the fear anymore.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's the money? It's the money you think they're getting paid to go other places?
Speaker 3: And I'm being totally honest here. Okay, you're putting on Brian and you probably would agree with me. The NFL is putting on one heck of a production that's generating great TV ratings and attracting these first round pick players or trying to attract them to the event in Detroit. They have never paid the players in the past. They've just paid for their expenses in not first class airfare. Why would you not go ahead and pay the players to be there at an event like this to even generate bigger TV ratings. I don't quite get it. They gave me first class tickets, Yes, you got a good agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you get paid? No, but pay the guys.
Speaker 3: Pay the guys. But the biggest story of the draft, in Brian, you hit it right on the head. It's going to be the quarterback situation. And that's really good for the Jaguars because if all of a sudden, at seventeen they've had six quarterbacks to get drafted ahead of them, that's going to push a boatload of talent down to them where they're going to have the pick of the litter. Now, whether it's six or five or whatever that number is, the fact is is that it will be at least four. In my p could be six, which would give the Jaguars a lot of options at seventeen. Well, the key.
Speaker 6: Player there is Pennix going to the Raiders, because if he goes there at thirteen, it means one of those corners is likely to slide through or probably both because there is a huge swell for the edge rusher. Latu from UCLA another guy that I spent some time with yesterday. Huge personality, a great story overcoming the neck injury, and you know, talking to Charles Davis yesterday says clearly the best pass rusher with the most moves in the draft.
Speaker 3: Love them, love law too. Of course you do, and we've heard that for weeks on this program. Final thought, Ry, what do you think tonight? What do you want tonight?
Speaker 1: Well, I want an offensive lineman. You know you've got two tacks.
Speaker 6: Off of their contracts. And Tony listen and Jeff, you look at these drafts very carefully. This is the best offensive line draft, at least at the top, that I've seen in my thirty years covering the draft. There are at least ten guys that belong in the first round. And it doesn't matter whether you're talking about tackle or guard or center. I love the kid from Washington, Troy Oh not to I think I've got that right.
Speaker 1: I had to say it really slow.
Speaker 6: He's got a guy you talk about, guy with tremendous ability to play all over. I had one guy in Dallas tell me that he believes he's Zack Martin. Well, you were alluding to the fact that last year at the point of attack, we were so ineffective at converting third down. In short, who doesn't need Zack Martin. I would love to see that kid show up in Jacksonville. But it just looks like the convergence of need and value is going to be a corner.
Speaker 3: And he's a guard.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't care that phone other kid. That's the type of guy good who moves people. He's a big board.
Speaker 3: Doesn't have the length for a tackle though, but he's athlete.
Speaker 7: Why.
Speaker 5: He's a tough dude. And Brian, I'm with you whether it's the tackle.
Speaker 6: He's got a thirty four inch arm, seventy seven inch wing span. He no, I think he's got enough link to play. But but my here's here's what I know. He won the Morris Award and Tony who gets the Morris Award.
Speaker 2: Every year best offensive lineman in the PAC twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that he was the last winner of it up here.
Speaker 2: Well, I did, Brian to your point.
Speaker 3: I led you to that one.
Speaker 2: But it works perfect. I go. I'm with Brian. This is a big bands game.
Speaker 5: You can have all the skills and I'm not saying we don't need corner and everything else like this, but this is one thing I know. If you control the liner scrimmers on offense, boy, the receivers are better, the running backs better, your quarterbacks better, and if you can control the liner scrimmers on defense hit the quarterback, those corners get really.
Speaker 3: Good, really good. Hi, Brian, thanks for the reporting from Detroit. We'll talk to you in a pre draft show at seven thirty a little bit later tonight. Thanks very much. Brian Sexton joining us from Draft Central and Detroit, Michigan. Plenty ahead, we'll come back and discuss Trent Balke's trade history draft. It's significant. This is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logoman, Hall of Famer, Tony Busselli. Jaguars Happy Hour continues on ten Todex's Lam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: He brooks in about ten minutes or so from Los Angeles. You've seen his name all over NFL network with his top five position rankings and mock drafts, and we'll get his final thoughts ahead of this draft in about ten minutes time we mentioned it going into the break. So Trim Balky, of course has been the general manager in San Francisco and now in Jacksonville. He took over the twenty ten San Francisco draft very late in the process. The GM was out, he had to move in. He actually made the picks in twenty ten there became the GM officially I think right after maybe a week before the draft. So he was involved from twenty ten to twenty sixteen in San Francisco and of course twenty one through twenty three and this year in Jacksonville. Four times Balky has traded up involving first round picks twenty ten, twenty thirteen, twenty sixteen with San fan and twenty two with the Jaguars that was up from the second round to get Devin Lloyd. Three times. He's traded down involving first round picks. Twenty fifteen traded two spots down to get Eric Armstead of all people, and then last year did it twice in the first round and ended up with Anton Harrison. Twenty seven total end draft trades in his career as a general manager in ten previous drafts, so especially on Day's two and three. He's not afraid to move if the value's there. Well, and the lesson to be learned, because you know there's some names associated with those trades, whether it be upper down, is that when he traded up, he didn't do so good if you look at the value. Anthony Davis was an offensive tackle that didn't last very long in the National Football League. Eric Reid defensive back was okay, yeah, I was a good player, but I mean to trade up from thirty one to eighteen, that's an expensive price to pay and I don't think that was the value. And then Joshua Garnett, you know, you know who he.
Speaker 2: Is, no clue.
Speaker 3: I don't either. But then you look at the trade downs, which is Eric Armstead, great pick, great pick, and then Anton Harrison, I think a really good player, you know. So the lesson there is and he said this at the draft press conference. He said that, look, the analytics will tell you that the value is not there if you're trying to trade up, and so, in my opinion, you don't look to trade up ever, in my opinion, unless you're trying to get a franchise quarterback. That's got to be the exception, all bet're of.
Speaker 5: The only way I trade up is if there's a guy that you think is an all Pro type player, Like, for instance, if you hadn't need a big need for an offensive tackle and you felt like Alt from Notre Dame was a future you know, multiple time Pro bowler, All Pro type player, Okay, you go trade up for a premium position, which left tackle is or a premium pass rusher that you think is gonna be you know Nick Boso or you know Garrett or something like that. But those are rarities, like you have to really be in the right position, and don't we always think that when you draft them. No, but there's certain guys. You know, there's certain guys.
Speaker 3: That but it's a percentage game.
Speaker 2: But that's that's what I'm saying. That is the exception.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like obviously franchise quarterback would be one as well, But most of the time, the difference between like.
Speaker 2: This this is a good wide receiver class. You know, the.
Speaker 5: Difference between Harrison and the third or fourth neighbors and you know the kid from Washington Doonza. I'm not saying one someone's gonna be better than the others, but is your betting and you're projecting looking forward if you can get the third rated guy where you said, is it worth jumping up to go get that first rate of guy?
Speaker 3: Great point, you know, I mean that's the that's for me. The draft. Get as many picks as you possibly can, especially because it's not a science. It is not a science, and it's it's a percentage ga. I mean, I remember a few years back, Chris Poullian was working with the Jaguars in the role of assistant general manager at one point, and his dad, Hall of famer Bill Pollion, and Bill Poullion essentially built two franchises and took them to Super Bowls, the Buffalo Bills and then the Indianapolis Colts with the Panthers before that, and the Carolina Panthers. I mean, this is Hall of Fame guy, Hall of Fame executive, Hall of fame guy, super nice guy. And i'mber masking Bill, I said, Bill, I said, with the draft, I said, if there was one thing that you would teach a young guy to really learn and accept about the draft, he said, you know, they've got to learn to accept number one, that it's a percentage game, because if you really believe kind of that mindset. Oh, this guy's a Hall of Famer pro bowler. Da da da da da. He said, you know the chances it's a percentage chance because you know, you're trying to forecast a player into a league that he has not played in. So he said, you got to be careful there, He said, So you have to understand that it's a percentages game, and then you also have to be willing to admit a mistake so that you don't continue to make mistakes by propping up a pick that you've had in the past. And so I thought it was very revealing.
Speaker 2: Jeff.
Speaker 5: The second comment you made, I think is the difference between average and great gyms. I think great front office leaders have the confidence, conviction, and just the overall ability to admit mistakes. Humility, I think is the right word to admit a mistake, not double down and move on. And I think a lot of times where you see the teams kind of getting this cycle of you know, like a hamster on the wheel not really making any progress, is unwilling to admit a mistake. It's like, oh, let's move on. I don't care where I drafted that guy. I don't care how that makes me. Look, we have to get better there and let's go move on.
Speaker 3: Prime example of that is San Francisco at the quarterback position, a great a few years right. It's a great example, and I think they're the perfect example of a team that's that's doing things the right way and willing to admit mistakes. You know, you compare their situation at quarterback with the Jaguars situation a few years ago where you had Blake Bortles and love Blake, but you ended up passing up on franchise quarterbacks and drafts because you wanted to prop Blake Bortles up, and then once you released him, then you brought in Nick Foles and then you thought Gardner Minshew was gonna be the guy. I mean, so you ended up kind of losing opportunities on a Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes for this franchise that you know, if you understood that the draft was a percentage is game and you could understand what was staring.
Speaker 5: You up and understand you made a mistake, okay, And it's okay because it's everyone makes I had an owner I was talking to an owner this year and I won't say which one, but he said, listen, I'm less worried about if my gym and coach cut a high pick as long as they're going to the playoffs and compete in the super Bowl. Because the draft it's a it's a crapshoot. It's like, you get some right, you get some wrong. The best of them do.
Speaker 3: Now, the percentages are higher the higher the pick is. That's right, and if you understand that, you're good plenty ahead. We're back in a moment with Bucky Brooks joining us from Los Angeles. The Jags are celebrating their thirtieth season, and the time to get those season tickets well, it's right now. Be at the bank for every touchdown. Secure your seats at Jaguars dot com, slash tickets or called nine oh four six three three two thousand. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management Strict, Florida's Water.
Speaker 8: It's worth saving. Jaguars Happy Hour brought.
Speaker 3: To you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Lagoman, Hall of Famer, Tony Bisselli. We're on Tenjinxlam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. It is Draft Knight, the du Vault Draft Party coming up at EverBank Stadium. Register at Jaguars dot com slash Draft Party if you haven't already. Should be a packed house. You'll be on the field tonight and there's a big stage on the east sideline facing west and plenty of special guest coming up this evening on stage, Tony, I think you'll be out there right.
Speaker 5: I'll be on stage quite a few times tonight, yes, talking to Doug Peterson.
Speaker 2: And then we got a couple legends up there.
Speaker 5: I think Leam Cercy, Paul Pols, Leslie yeh, and Josh Goby so kay and I will be doing a little round table.
Speaker 3: Tooby's like down that list a little bit, like I'm kidding.
Speaker 5: Gooby be all time leader, best kicker in Jaguars history, all time point leader.
Speaker 3: Scoby was third place in the Baselli Golf Tournament the other way. Yeah you know who was second place? You? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but cheat that's right.
Speaker 5: First, Well, it's because he had a bunch of ringers on his team.
Speaker 2: I gave him a good team.
Speaker 3: I made Bertie put some last two holes to get us in the second strokes.
Speaker 2: Did you do anything to get the ball on the green?
Speaker 3: I did one time, one time to get into it right now, but I contributed.
Speaker 2: Nobody shot true.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say I beat Scoby. That was pretty good one. By the way, it was fair the one on one he would crush. It wasn't one on one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was team golf we won.
Speaker 3: Josh Gooby is the best golfer that wore the teal in black?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: Probably so. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Christian Kirk's pretty good right now. Okay, and Kirk is a good player, very good player. But Scoby he shot like sixty four. Come on, like he's a good like he's a legitimate stick.
Speaker 3: I used to do that, you know.
Speaker 2: And yeah right, but he did it on eighteen holes, not not.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's go to Los Angeles, California. Welcome in NFL network analysts, Jaguars media analysts, and our good friend Bucky Brooks. It is finally here, Bucky, at long last, all your mock drafts, all your position rankings, all that can go out the window starting tonight at eight o'clock. Good evening.
Speaker 4: What's up, guys, how's everything?
Speaker 7: I'm Bucky excited to we're doing all these mid drafts and see where we're gonna get.
Speaker 5: Bucky, how many mock drafts did you do leading up to tonight?
Speaker 7: I did four, and it was really really challenging to kind of put the names in order to guess and speculate. And even now hear in your conversation about the offensive tackles, I think it's really interesting to see what teams are going to decide because the two strongest positions in the draft are offensive tackle and wide receiver. And normally when that happens, the demand supply and demand, you typically go to the premium position, which would be offensive tackles.
Speaker 4: So I would expect the offensive tackles to fly off the board first.
Speaker 7: Then the wide receivers will probably fall into the second round where we see a bunch of wide receivers go. I don't think you'll see as many wide receivers go as many.
Speaker 3: Speculating, Bucky, everybody seems to think that Joe Allt is the best tackle, and after watching some of these guys, I would agree, give me your next best two offensive tackles that are in this draft.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: You know, like it's so interesting because it kind of depends on what you're looking for. If you won't like the bully on the block, like to least Longer from Oregon State is one of those that kind of fits the kid from Washington that you guys we're talking about.
Speaker 4: He's probably one of the more versatile ones.
Speaker 7: Can play anywhere on the line, can play outside or inside.
Speaker 4: He gives you kind of what you want.
Speaker 7: Olufashanu is probably the most talented of them all, but he also has maybe the most development to do to be.
Speaker 4: An elite premier left tackle.
Speaker 7: JC Latham is a natural right tackle who's a Mala brother at the point of attack. And then Amarius Memes is just a junkyard dog. I mean, he is big, he's physical, but he's only played like eight or nine games in college, so you don't know where he's going to be when he gets to the big boy league.
Speaker 4: Look, it's a very talented class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the last two guys that you mentioned, Latham and Memes. Watching the film on those guys, and I know that Mems hasn't played very much and you had to watch a lot of film to actually see him play, But watching those two guys, they just make the position look effortless like this guy used to do buck In. And the crazy thing is is that they were right tackles. But I mean I still see those guys as being premier talents. I mean, if the Jaguars are looking to trade down one of those two guys, I would love to see them until Yeah.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you're gonna be able to trade down and hope that one of those guys get to you, because where the Jaguars are at, there's a bit of it in Ali where you can see teams that go Pittsburgh can take a tackle at twenty. Miami is gonna take an offensive line and it's probably gonna be a center, but you just never know it's gonna They have to fix their offensive line. So you have to be careful if you're Jacksonville trying to be cute and not just taking a player that is right there sitting in front of you. The guys that you mentioned JC Latham and Marius Mams, they could be there, but there's some conversation that jac Latham could be a ten pick. You know, we just don't know because but the tackle class, it's like going to the ice cream shop.
Speaker 4: And trying to figure out which flavor you like, but.
Speaker 5: Unworthy Bucky just sticking on the tackles just for a little bit longer. You know, a guy like all Ready Made, I mean films, you know, size all the things you want. Premiere program played against top talent. Which of the guys, though, do you think has the most upside? Because just because that individual played at a high level in college, as you know, sometimes those guys are capped out and they'll be good pros. And I'm sure all It's gonna be very good pro and I'm not saying he is capped out at all. But who of the girl, as you just mentioned, who's the flyer that you might take and say, because this guy has extreme upside.
Speaker 4: So if we're talking about upside, normally the upside is due.
Speaker 7: To their athleticism, right, they're super athletic, but maybe they haven't put all the skills together when it comes to performance, I would say that it would be either Memes or Fashanu, and then you can throw in Lathan because they all are still kind of figuring it out while dominating people with their sheer talent.
Speaker 4: Maybe Memes just because Mems only has.
Speaker 7: Like eight or nine Games of film and he is huge and you know he played at a winning program. If you know anything about Georgia, they talk about BLO Tuesdays. But he put the pads on and basically let the ones play against the ones all day. I think he has the ability to get really, really better as he gains more.
Speaker 4: Experience, and the rest are really going to help him at the next level.
Speaker 3: Bucky Brooks with us from Los Angeles, California, NFL Network Jaguars media analysts. Let's flip it around now, Bucky to the cornerback position. This is one that has been mocked to the Jaguars, I think more than any other in this first round, at seventeenth or overall. Is that I know in your mocks at least you've had that position. There is that still the feel for you? And what kind of window can you can you find at seventeen, two, three, four guys that could be there?
Speaker 7: Well, look, I mean a lot of it really just depends on what do the Jaguars want to do.
Speaker 4: What do they prioritize.
Speaker 7: Do they prioritize get in the defense of the snub where the defense can be a top ten defense, or do they want to put all their chips in and go say, hey, we're going to have an elite offense and we're going to outscore people and then play defense always with the lead. I would say that if they go cornerback Terran Arnold is gonna be sitting there right in their face at seventeen.
Speaker 4: The thing about Arnold is Arnold is versatile.
Speaker 7: He can play outside, he can play inside high IQ player does a really good job of being nose to nose in press coverage. But he can play off and I think when you hear Ryan Nelson talk about how he wants to play and how they want to play, they want to look.
Speaker 4: They said nothing cheap and nothing deep.
Speaker 7: So they want to take away the layups, meaning don't want to give up the bubble screens and the quick routes that you give up when you normally back off of wide receivers.
Speaker 4: But then you want to have.
Speaker 7: Enough awareness to make sure that you always play top down, very similar to how Arnold was asked to play in Alabama.
Speaker 4: I think he'll be fine there. Nate Wiggins is the next one that likely come off the board.
Speaker 7: Nate Wiggins is fast, He's ran for see you at the combine He's super athletic, easy mover when it comes to turns and transitions. The one thing about Nate Wiggins is Nate Wiggins isn't a super physical guy, and he's not a great tackler. And I think in our league now, if you can't tackle, you're gonna have a hard time being able to stay on the field because you become a bit of a liability.
Speaker 4: Can he become a better tackler.
Speaker 7: Maybe sometimes peer pressure can kind of make guys kind of stick their nose in, But I don't know.
Speaker 4: But he's super talented.
Speaker 7: He's one of the best athletes that you will find on the field. This guy has the potential to be a lockdown corner on the perimeter. The other names that we'll mention, Koley McKinstry is intriguing. He and Arnold obviously play in the same system. He was to cast me out. Arnold have passed him this year.
Speaker 4: Based on play, But Koley McKinstry is a really good player. High IQ can play a.
Speaker 7: Bunch of different techniques, understands how to play the game the right way, and all those guys are gonna be good teammates. And then the last one and maybe one of the guys that is really intriguing to me is Cooper Dejene from Iowa. The reason Cooper Degene is intriguing is because everyone's gonna try and kick him inside and say, oh, he's a nickel, he's a safety in those things. But if you really dig down and do the research, this is the premier track athlete when he was in high school that Iowa. He has played outside and played really really well. Super smart, very active, and productive. Also gives you something in the return game if you need it. This is the Swiss Army knife that everyone kind of wants in that defensive lineup. Is just are you willing to pull a trigger and do you have a plan to get him on.
Speaker 4: The field and allow him to do all the special things that he can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the hard part I think with some of these top corners that you're talking about is that not a lot of them played pressman. And you know, every coach in the National Football League wants to have a corner that can play press man. You know, that's the way that you can end up doing other things on the other side to be a little bit more creative. And I would totally agree with you Bucky about Wiggins about he's not very physical at the point, and I'm a big believer that you can't coach physicality. So I don't know if he's a good fit. But it's going to be interesting to see because it's we talked about the draft and everything is a percentage game, and it's forecasting and it's kind of projecting. Man this corner position, there's a lot of projecting going on just because of the style of play that these top corners played in college.
Speaker 7: So because of that, we talked about playing the percentages. Jeff, I think this is a year where you have to double down in a position. This is a year where you may need to take two. And let's be honest, I'm a judge the draft. I'm a great to draft based on the first three rounds because those are the guys that typically comprise your team. Anything that you get four through seven is bonus. So to me, given how the style of play is going to be drafted different than it's been in the past, I think you need to invest in the position and kind of get two of them. And so we just talked about those four at the top. Maybe in the second or the third round, you have to begin to think about some other names. So if we're talking about in the second round, Max Milton from Rutgers is someone that's of interest. Kamari Lassiter from Georgia is another player that could kind of be in that. If you're talking about a pure nickel corner, Mikey Sanstril from Michigan is in play.
Speaker 4: In the third round. You can hear names like TJ. Tampa.
Speaker 7: You can hear Ronaldo Green from Florida State. So there's some guys that can come in and play. But I don't think the Jaguars can mess around and think that they're gonna solve their issue by getting a guy in the fifth, sixth, or seventh round. I think you have to really invest in position if you're gonna play as much pressman coverage that the defensive coordinator Ryan Nilson has been talking about.
Speaker 5: Buck, you talked about doubling down on a position group. What's your thoughts on it? And I'm gonna go back to where we started this on the offensive line, because I think we all talked about last year that this Jaguar offensive line had to get bigger, get more physical if they wanted to play the style that they were trying to play last year. This is a deep draft at the offensive line. Is this a year that if you really wanted to go remake and rebuild that offensive line, that you could in the first three rounds with this offensive line class.
Speaker 7: Yes, but you got to be committed to doing it and you have to be willing to take the slings and arrows that may come from the people that are saying, oh, you need to get a wide receiver early.
Speaker 4: Oh, we need to get this.
Speaker 7: If you're going to be a team that really wants to play and control the line of scrimmage, you got invested in and you got invest in it every year. And so if it's an offensive tackle in the first round, it's coming back getting the guard in the second round, then.
Speaker 4: You do that.
Speaker 7: It really depends on how the Jaguars view the strength of their team and how they want the strength of the team to be. Meaning do you want to be an offensive team do you want to be a defensive team? Because if there's an offensive team, then you load up on offense. You make sure that sixteen has everything that he needs. He's protected in the passing game, you can run the football effectively, and you have enough weapons on the outside to allow him to do his thing.
Speaker 4: And there's nothing wrong with that. We've seen teams do it. You guys were talking about billpollon bi.
Speaker 7: Opoleon, two Super Bowl contenders in Buffalo and Indianapolis playing that way. It really is about the commitment that the team has to make and this is who we are, this is going to be, and then the draft picks have to follow that philosopher.
Speaker 3: All right, Bucky sold the wide receiver position. Not many people believe that that would be the seventeenth overall pick, but you never know. If you were pick ain't at seventeen. Give me a couple names that may be available that you would be interested in.
Speaker 7: I'm be honest with you, Like I know people talk about the wide receiver position at seventeen. The only guy that I would be comfortable taking would be Brian Thomas Junior from LSU. The rest of the wide receivers that we're talking about, ad Mitchell's, Xavier Worthy, Xavier lok Get, anybody that we put in there. To me, they're more top of the second round type talents, which is fine, But what that means is those guys are solid starters.
Speaker 4: But I don't.
Speaker 7: Anticipate them being superstars at seventeen. Brian Thomas, to me, is the only one. If it's not one of the big three, then it has to be him. And I would say the difference between Brian Thomas and some of those other guys big.
Speaker 4: Fast and physical, super talented.
Speaker 7: When you talk to the LSU coaches, they say, Man, he's as gifted of wide receiver as we've seen come through these doors. Last year, the light came on and he played to his talents, and so you've got to continue to be on him to maximize.
Speaker 4: The talent that he has. But he's a guy that's worthy.
Speaker 7: If you really ask me whether the sweet spot should be, it should be offensive tackle or corner. At seventeen, your wide receiver should come in the second round. When you're picking forty eight, I think forty eight is going to put you in a position to get the players that I think are best fits for what they have.
Speaker 4: Ricky Piarsoll would be really intriguing to me. Roman Wilson would be really intriguing to me.
Speaker 7: And I'm saying this based on what was lacking I guess last year in terms of like where did it go wrong when we had all the injuries. I think Doug Peterson has made a concerted effort to say I want professional high AQ players that can be interchangeable and when it comes to playing multiple spots, that are reliable, dependable, and consistent. And so to me, Ricky pearsoll fits the bill. Lat mcconacky if he's there, he fits the bill. You want someone that when you call the play, all the things are gonna be a lot depend they can be exactly where they need to be so the quarterback can have the trust to let the ball go. So to me, it has to be that they don't need a high end number one. They need consistent, reliable pass catches that can get open and be exactly where they need to be.
Speaker 4: Each and every down.
Speaker 3: And love Lat McConkie, the Georgia wide receiver. And the one position we really haven't mentioned because we kind of started this show about this team getting more physical on the offensive and defensive lines, Buckey the defensive tackle position. In this draft, when you look at the top two guys, one in Illinois the other at Texas, they're good football players, but they don't have a lot of length. That's gotta I think affect them in this draft, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 7: I think Brian Murphy's gonna go within the top ten. I think the sweet spot for him might be eight to the Atlanta Falcons. Johnny Newton could be sitting there because he can go anywhere in their first round range. He could be there for us at seventeen. He could go later in the bottom.
Speaker 4: Of the first round. And then there's a bit of a drop off. And so the defensive tackle position.
Speaker 7: Is one that you really have to have like an eye on when.
Speaker 4: The run goes on.
Speaker 7: Like those defensive players just saying this year, maybe only eleven or twelve defensive players going the first round. So somewhere in the second round is gonna flip and there's going to be a run on defensive players. Two guys to watch if you're talking about Jacksonville Brydon Fist from Florida.
Speaker 4: State by way of Western Michigan.
Speaker 7: Look active, high motive player, physical athletic, look man. He is an all day sucker. The motor runs hot from the beginning of your game to the end of game. You love that part of it. Brandon Dorleas from Oregon another player that can come inside, physical, super athletic on tape. You see those guys run to the ball, they hustle, they play at a high level. To me, those are the guys because it's a huge drop off when it comes to defensive tackles. Maybe four or five guys that you feel really good about after that you kind of throwing darts. They are edge rushers that are available, but some of those guys are more situational players, not guys that I will say are every down guys that are gonna be stars outside of the top three. Day when we talked about Dallas Turner, Leatu Latu and Jared Vers from Florida State.
Speaker 3: Bucky Brooks, NFL Network, Jaguars Media fifteen seconds. Bucky, what is your pick?
Speaker 4: They gonna take one to Corners.
Speaker 7: I think it'd end up being tearing on or to the Quinna and Mitchell one of those guys if they're available.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Bucky joining us from Lost Yeah, Bucky Brooks from Los Angeles. We're back with our final thoughts after this. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, florida'swater It's worth saving.
Speaker 1: J P.
Speaker 3: Shadwick with Jefflagoman Hall of Famer Tony Boselli the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. We're closing in about three hours and seven minutes until they at least started, and then probably another ten minutes until the pick, and then I guess the Jags will pick. What ten o'clock issue.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, if everyone takes ten minutes, which they never all take ten minutes, it's one hundred and seventy minutes, So it's almost two hours and forty five minutes after it starts.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, we'll be closer to eleven. Yeah, if you do the mask.
Speaker 5: But usually there's always a couple of teams that you know are quick on the draw, and you go, it goes quicker.
Speaker 3: I hope there's a few teams that are quick on the draw.
Speaker 2: I hope sixteen teams are quick on the draw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you remember, go back to the day back when they gave him more time than the team. It was and it was painfully slow, and then finally because of TV, they said, all look we got to make this thing move along a little bit. I think they could even make it move along a little bit better and shorten.
Speaker 2: They make it like seven minutes or yeah, yeah, make it seven minutes.
Speaker 3: I remember good number.
Speaker 5: I remember the at the draft in ninety five that you said I did not have to wait very long, which you're correct, only second pick, but going in was the first pick by the way carrier Collins John Carteret's right. But going into the half, Tom had told me, you know, three weeks before, it's like, we're picking you. They called me night before, I mean, unless the Bengals picked me instead of Caujohn. I was going to Jacksonville, and I thought that's what I thought. So John gets picked in like two minutes, I'm like, okay, good, it's me done. Tom waited eleven and a half minutes before he picked up the phone to call me and say it's a pick. I'm like, what were you waiting for? Like I thought this was a done deal. And to this day he just he just enjoyed the fact that I had to sit there for that long he wait. I think he did it just on purpose, just to well. I think he used Jeff. I think he used Jeff's strategy marketing strategy. Remember every year, all the time on the clock, and Jeff says the same thing, like selling.
Speaker 2: If he was a good GM, he'd be like, we're taking all ten minutes. Our logo is going to be on the free exposure.
Speaker 3: We're selling jerseys, selling Jersey's b By the way, do you know what I'm responsible for the Jaguars drafting him? Are you really? I am? I can't wait to hear this.
Speaker 5: Do you want to hear the story they were I'll tell you real quick. They're either going to take a tackle in the draft, which they did in a free agent d n or get it would have been, or a free agent tackle which had been his teammate Griswold, and then take a defensive end, probably been Kevin Carter.
Speaker 3: Kevin Carter.
Speaker 5: With the pick and they chose that this is left or so you're stuck with us.
Speaker 2: Jeff and I might be the opposite.
Speaker 5: They might have decided they were taking me and then they went after Jeff and free agency, so I might be responding.
Speaker 3: Strike. By the way, Criswell just went into the Graceland College Hall of Fame. Uh, I mean, how many people do you know that played at Graceland and played in the NFL and had a successful one.
Speaker 2: He was a good player.
Speaker 3: He just didn't like playing Bruce Smith, who did not many. Tony did not many did a couple of minutes left.
Speaker 2: What's your pick?
Speaker 3: You know, look, I don't like to make predictions. Pick a really good player. Come on, a really good player.
Speaker 2: Come on, do you want me to do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tony please.
Speaker 2: I would pick an offensive lineman.
Speaker 5: I think they pick a corner, and one of the corners that Bucky said, you know.
Speaker 3: Mitchell.
Speaker 5: Arnold, Arnold's I mean, one of those guys they're gonna take. I think that's where they go. I think that's where all the smoke is right now. I think there is fire there. I would take an offensive lineman. I would actually this would be the draft because of the depth and the talent. I would double down on that position. I would build a world class offensive line.
Speaker 2: In front of Trevor.
Speaker 3: Lawrence, I don't I don't have anything against what he says, and that's.
Speaker 5: Not taking away anything in the group of guys here, but it is what it is. I mean, where we are as an organization, and especially if you're about to resign or extend the quarterback.
Speaker 2: At some point you're paying fifty million bucks, go build that line.
Speaker 3: And here's why I have a hard time saying, Okay, here's who I'm gonna pick. I mean, they're they're picking at seventeen. They're not picking at one, two or three. I mean, who's available, you know, I mean it is is a lot to there, which you know I love him? Would I love him?
Speaker 2: I Mean?
Speaker 3: The only thing that he's got a negative wise is that he had a neck issue. But he's one of the best pass rushers that I've watched in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I watched him because my son Law played against him last year and he's a good.
Speaker 3: He makes it look effortless good. He's better than Verse and better than Dallas Turner and Alabama, who, by the way, doesn't have a lot of size to him, but he's out first physical guy, really physical and loved the guy Fisk that Bucky was talking about, by the way, round go back and watch some Florida State film. Look for number fifty five. That guy can play really and play play well. The one guy I think that's going to drop in this draft is the Flonga tackle from Oregon State. I don't believe he's got the feat to play or to be drafted. Real high gates open tonight at EverBank Stadium seven o'clock. The end. Stadium show begins with Ky Stevens about seven point fifteen seven point thirty pre draft show on Jaguars dot Com and jags YouTube. Thanks to our entire crew in the studio out here on set as well to the stadium for Tony Boselli, Jeff Logoman, Ryan Sexton, and Bucky Brooks. I'm JP Shadick. Thank you for listening. It's Jaguars Happy Hour presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving