Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth dutt is Sarah Burnett.
Speaker 3: How you doing good?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling good? Feeling good in the neighborhood?
Speaker 3: Totally? I mean, look at me over here, apple being up? Just apple bean?
Speaker 2: How you applebee?
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: I'm good good? Yeah, nice good.
Speaker 3: Gad to hear you got I got a question for you while you're just you know, in the playful moods. Sure, do you know what's ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 3: I do, Honey, hush, honey.
Speaker 2: You and I have talked a lot about how much we like pickles, Yes, and embarrassingly amount, particularly grillos pickles, Yes, the preferred Ridiculous crimes preferred pickle.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are in house fair.
Speaker 2: Do you ever drink pickle juice?
Speaker 3: I had a friend who used to, and he turned me onto it, and it's definitely Actually I gotta say, it does something. It gives you a boost, does it? It does something? I'll just put it that way. I would recommend doing it for long periods of time. But like, say you're injured and you're like a kid and he drinks some pickles made me feel better.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you you drink your own pea too.
Speaker 3: No, it's just like a face. It's like a brine. So it's like people are in fermented stuff. This is like fermented juice drunk. No, No, you just get like it's like a wheat grass but but saltier. You know, you get this pump.
Speaker 2: Like. Yeah, the only time I use pickle juice is when you get to the end of a grillo's tub. Then you put chicken thighs in there to brind them, and then you you put them in batter and deep frime, and that's how you make a good chicken sandwich.
Speaker 3: So you chef stuff up. I'm over here just like remembering being ten so, but.
Speaker 2: Every like I'll finish a thing of pickles and I'm like, I don't really need to be eating a fried chicken, So like, what get out of here? And then I dumb it down the drink. Anyway, that's not the ridiculous part. I've dragged this on for far too long. I'm not gonna drag it further. So another thing that you and I like puff jackets. This is true, you know, like north Face, I'm about that Codo Pasi light. So anyway, what if what if you could. I don't know what's the word, what's the phrase like mash up those two things breathe deep. I can't express to you. There are like pinnacle moments and communications from rude dudes to headquarters about mashups, and it's usually they There was like a Skittles one that was off the charts. The volume this I think may have surpassed everything really because it's now I'm starting to think, like, does the entire marketing world listen to this podcast and then be like, you know what a really delight Elizabeth and grind Xeran's gears so kfc UK not not domestic garbage KFC.
Speaker 3: Are they different? They like broken apart?
Speaker 2: I think yeah they were. They colonized us, so kfs UK. They have this product that they have created. Well, first they have the pickle Manium menu they've introduced. Okay, it's like a seasonal thing, pickleburger, pickle loaded fries, frickles.
Speaker 3: Pickles are apparently the hot flavor right now.
Speaker 2: I guess. And then pickle PEPSI max. So that's like for your you and your little friends.
Speaker 3: You put your pickle in too many places.
Speaker 2: Now, that's what they all say. And so anyway, they have this whole thing, right they have. If you go to their Instagram, which is the hell on earth that gives us all this stuff, they you can get something called a pickle puffer and you have to like win it. You can't just go buy it without knowing.
Speaker 3: You brought in jackets earlier. Originally, if you would have said pickle puffer, I would have imagined so many different you know, it.
Speaker 2: Would have been. So look, Zaron, I don't work blue. So this is what I'm showing you a picture. It'll be put up on Instagram. It's a puff jacket. We're in the channels instead of down.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: It's filled with pickle juice and slices of pickles. And then you'll note up here these little vents. That's where it's like a little nozzle. You can stick a straw in and drink the pickle juice.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid.
Speaker 2: So if you get hurt, as you said, you just this cushions the fall.
Speaker 3: I don't know why it worked well.
Speaker 2: And then pickle, but rather down or a down alternative. The down alternative is pickles and pickle juice. Okay, so it's again not in the store. You have to go to KFC UK to their instagram.
Speaker 3: Don't they have like a knife problem over in the UK?
Speaker 2: They do? There are age limits on this kind of.
Speaker 3: Like tempting, like the people who are poking. If you saw.
Speaker 2: Someone I still lived in Glasgow, I would start carrying a knife in hopes that I saw someone with this and I would slash slash slash drip for carrying does it? And the zipper pole is a pickle? I mean, Saron, the detail, the attention to detail on this product. So before I was saying like about that gross toothpaste, like hey, oh see here, like let me show you this picture and I'll have them put this one up too. There's the it's a permanent straw.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if you live in the UK and you happen to win this, let's talk. Let's talk, baby, because how does it arrive to you? Does it arrive fully loaded or do they give you you have to provide somewhere because like they're not going to ship it. Maybe they will, Colley, someone has to win this.
Speaker 3: So many questions and then you don't have.
Speaker 2: To give it to me, but just tell me about it. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I'll give you this I know you will.
Speaker 2: You have to wait.
Speaker 3: Wait, I got something. Yeah to ungrind my gears. Imagine, Elizabeth, the folks who dare to steal from the Lord's holy agents. I'm talking the theft of holy relics again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is ridiculous crime.
Speaker 3: A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yes, Elizabeth sar.
Speaker 3: We're both Catholics. Yeah, well, I mean I don't put that around Catholic. We're at least nonpracticing Catholics or perhaps former Catholics. I don't know what language.
Speaker 2: Non practicing Catholic. Me and the Mother Church.
Speaker 3: We got issues, but we were catholically informed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we came up in it. It was so kind of Catholics.
Speaker 3: They say it informs our worldview, beings, what you know, and and also our sense of the calendar. Like for instance, I know, we just finished Holy Week, and sure I thought, you know, this past Sunday was Easter. I didn't make it to church, but I wanted to mark the occasion, so I found some Catholic crimes.
Speaker 2: I like it. I still if I lose something. I'm like, all right, Saint Anthony, let's talk. Oh yeah, let's get this, let's get this found.
Speaker 3: We're Saint Christopher metal all the time.
Speaker 2: So you know, I don't know these things.
Speaker 3: I guess I shouldn't say I'm non practicing. That's not really fair.
Speaker 2: Collapsed Catholics. There you go, Catholics on time out.
Speaker 3: Now you've done an episode of religious relic thefts.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: It was brilliant, terrible fun.
Speaker 2: It was enjoyable, so good.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go slightly surprise, surprise older. I was like, how do I go back a couple of centuries today? I haven't died.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a medieval buffet of relic thefts. Yes, they were popping it off. It was getting wild, but it's great.
Speaker 2: It's great material.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a buckle up, butter cup, we're about to get ways with monks and nuns who decided to walk on the wild side of the faith. At one time, relic theft was so common there was actually a term for it in Latin. The term is fertum sacra okay, basically means holy theft.
Speaker 2: Ye, holy theft.
Speaker 3: Now, as you know, Catholics for us you know, relics are believed to offer like a legit connection to the divine. Like most relics are there like things, right, there's there's like bones of the saints, perhaps a piece of clothing that they wore or something they carry personal items exactly, especially something that touched their skin. That's really kind of important because also according to church beliefs, apparently if a saint held an object through their touch, it kind of like imbuse something that some of the divine grace passes into the object, and a relic could actually do what a saint could do, like perform miracles.
Speaker 2: It's like DNA.
Speaker 3: Well it's like yeah, but now it can perform miracles the same ones the saint could do. It's like I've given it my miracle power, right, which is you know that's that's handy.
Speaker 2: So handy.
Speaker 3: Due to this profound spiritual power, relics they become cuted objects. Everyone's like I wanted to get the miracle and viewing like piece of saints bone or whatever. Now, Elizabeth, we know what happens we coveted objects, right, Yeah, people steal crime. So relic theft, as I said, it became so common in the medieval era that it was actually not just like oh, we have a name for it. It was big business really. Oh yeah, there's like relic traders and relic dealers, and they'd be breaking small fortune, like hawking these relics right to all the true various true believers. Yeah, and just the collectors and not just for like rich private citizens. I'm talking. I mean like it was like people who wanted protection. A lot of travelers, right, I know.
Speaker 2: They were also I don't know if you're going to discuss this, but there were a lot of fake relics.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well there's definitely a lot of fake relics. In this case. All these relics are ostensibly real something like I'm not they.
Speaker 2: Would get like chicken bones exactly.
Speaker 3: Behold, anyone walking across the land if they hear there's like, oh, a little pilgrimage site, they deviate like it's a roadside attraction.
Speaker 2: That's how you draw money to market Exactly.
Speaker 3: It was like an early way to raise some money for the monastery, you know, hook up the nuns of the convent.
Speaker 2: Equivalent of when you're driving down like a lonesome highway and you see a sign that says beef jerkey, and we have fifteen kinds of beef jerky. And you're like, all right.
Speaker 3: The next time down the road walnuts.
Speaker 2: Walnuts, oh any or driving in California up and down the Central Valley, cherries and then all the dust rises behind my car.
Speaker 3: Rooster tailor gravel. No, as they said, relative trade theft becomes so common. You have all these you traders, You have people who are stealing your people who are like just going out and like, you know, I'd really like because it's become this thing that you know, it's going to attract pilgrims. So if a holy relic is bought or sold, obviously that means two things. Someone had to steal it or you know, create it, and then they had to sell it to the relic trader. Right, so someone had to go and recover the holy objects. Sometimes like oh, we go and went to the Holy Land and we found this thing. So you get a lot of adventurers coming back with tales of like pro nons that are just outstanding. So at this point, like let's consider the case of Saint Mark's Boats. Okay, way back in the year eight eight to nine eighty nine, right, I remember it well, Venetian merchants.
Speaker 2: I was but a young girl.
Speaker 3: You were, what, yeah, just a glimmer in the Iopa scene. Yeah, I think sixteenth. So there are these two merchants, actually Venetian merchants. They had great names, Buano and Rustico. Yeah, they decided to ignore the bands.
Speaker 2: They're like, they're like named after supermarket brand name Breads.
Speaker 3: Totally. So, yeah, they decided there's a band at the time, Elizabeth against doing business with the various Muslims.
Speaker 2: There was a band. I was like, oh no, the Beatles, like.
Speaker 3: The Italian city states, they pretty much were been banned by the part of doing business with the Muslim kingdoms on the eastern Mediterranean. So they uh they you know, and also North Africa, and uh so these are like, the hell with all that, we're Venetian merchants. We don't get god damn about all that. We're from the most serene republic. We were all different. So they went down to Alexandria in Egypt to do a little trading. And while they're there buying up you know, cotton and lace and silk and spices and whatnot, they hear about the bones of Saint Mark and they're like, wait, where where is the who's it now? They're like, oh, yeah, he wasn't for sale because it wasn't his body for sale. He was just sort of laying about right, just falling into a state of vispers at that point.
Speaker 2: It was more he was kind of a freshie at that point, he really was.
Speaker 3: They were like, wait, he's bouldering.
Speaker 2: Where follows follow the vultures.
Speaker 3: They're like, we gotta go hook up Saint Mark soil. Someone points him out. This pair of Venetian traders. They go and they decided they take it. They're like rfk. They're like, I gotta take this, put it, put it in the boat. Right. They saved Saint Mark's bones and they bring it back to Italy where they be like properly venerated and whatnot. So they they go, we can't do this by ourselves. We're just a pair of Venetian traders. We're gonna need help. So they get two monks, right, they find these two monks Storatius and Theodorus, and they're like, hey, teddy storry, come on, and when do you need your help. The two, the four of them that go together, they pull a holy heist. They steal Saint Mark's bones. Plant is super simple. They procure another body because they're like, look, if we just take the body, people will know they're just like a clean spot on top of the mausoleum. Or we gotta like leave a body the more similar. So they had to find one in a similar state of disrepair. Once they got a body that you know, matched up, right, then they go and they take that and swap it with Saint Mark's bones and then like you know, this is like not easy to do in the year age twenty nine. Actually it's probably really easy to do to find a body in the year A twenty nine. Anyway, once they got the decoy bones secured, they break in, they swap out the bones for the holy bones of Saint Mark. Then they make their flight from Egypt. Right. But first like they're like, they're like a bunch of biblical patriarchs, like, how do we get the hell to Egypt?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But at the same time they have they know the answer, which is, we got to go down the harbor. We got to get back on our boat. But you know, harbors were you know, monitored. You had to tell people what you were here. You got to show a ship's manifest So how are they going to get the boat the bones by? Like, what's up with the bag of bones? Bro. So at this point, the Egyptian port authority they want to inspect the goods and wears getting loaded on, So where are they going to hide the bones of Saint Mark? Well, the port authorities they get tipped off by this strange scent of bones, apparently that's the story that I heard. I think it's the smell of decay yea. Anyway, so they go what's that smell? Essentially right, and they're like, you got to open up all the barrels, the crates, and so they start cracking stuff open and they don't find anything except for a bunch of pork, like salted pork and so forth. And they're like, oh, oh yeah, sorry, I don't dig on swine. So they're like, you can steal that back up, they don't go digging into the pork. And that was the way that they snuck Saint Mark. The egypt is underneath a bunch of moldering port.
Speaker 2: Go.
Speaker 3: This is just bad. I'm bad. I'm batch anyway, being familiar obviously with these Muslim dietary customs, they were able to pull off a successful furtum secra. Right, yeah, no, holy heist. They weren't always such a seat of your pants swillers. Sometimes they were a little more hands on, or is the case maybe teeth on. For example, in the late eleven hundreds, there was a bishop named Bishop Hugh of Lincoln, and he was kind of jealous of the monks down at the Abbey of feet Comp in Normandy. No, Bishop Hugh of Lincoln was apparently not worried about his eternal damnation. He goes down to the Abbey of fan Comp and that's the final resting place of the hand of Mary Magdalen. Oh right, As you know, Elizabeth, some Catholics believe that Mary Magdalen escaped the Holy Land after the crucifixion of Jesus and then she like cut across the Mediterranean Sea and she landed in France.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: If you've seen the Dan Brown movies with Tom Hanks.
Speaker 2: So good the haircut, he.
Speaker 3: You know, Allegedly, Mary Magdalen didn't just flee the Holy Land, but she left in order to protect the child she had, because Jesus's girl or his daughter. They landed the south of France and they start the Merivingian line essentially right now anyway, whether you believe all that or not, why not?
Speaker 2: You know I've said this before. I believe absolutely anything.
Speaker 3: Now keep it, keep yourself open. I believe things that contradict each other.
Speaker 2: I contain multitudes.
Speaker 3: Whether you believe all this story about Jesus having a daughter in south of France, why not. Many of the French Catholics did, right, So in the Abbey fan Holmp they kept the hand of Mary Magdalen.
Speaker 2: Is like, believe this totally.
Speaker 3: So the Bishop Hugh of Lincolne, he shows up right and when he asks to see the holy relicant venerated, he gets brought to the reliquary and he's shown the hand of Mary Magdalene, which he then venerates with a respectful kiss, like you would like on the Pope's ring or something. Right, Only his kiss wasn't meant to be respectful at all, because when his lips touched like the decrepit bear skin of the hand of Mary Magdalene, bishop parts his lips and he bites off the piece, yes a little for the Bishop Elizabeth, and then he pockets it. He made a new relic. So when the Bishop was confronted about what he'd done because people were like, did you just bite Mary Magdalen's hand? He's like, but what like secret in his he had an excuse ready. He told anyone who questioned his relic theft that there was no relic on earth that could be considered more holy than the body and blood of Christ, which, if you think about it, he let pass his lips each and every Sunday. So what's a little Mary Magdalene to go past his lips? He's like, you know, if I bite off a little digit and that's who can judge me.
Speaker 2: He's like, that's like the third holiest thing that's spent in this mouth. Exactly what a freak.
Speaker 3: So I don't mean it's that great grocer crass. But relic theft was big business Elizabeth in the medieval period, but also really weird. Right to keep those two things in mind as we go through more stories, like, for one, there was a Pilgrim's bouncing all around Europe, right, and they would just pay to visit and pay their respects, So you got all this loose money again, so keep that in mind as well. So he's like, how is this happening? There's a lot of loose money slashing around now if you think about it. Also, a single saints body can be broken up into many many relics, as I pointed out with the bishop biting off a piece, right, yes, so is keep that in mind as well. Now, also like the true Cross which you mentioned earlier, that Jesus was crucified on the early Roman emperor Constantine. He had his mother, Saint Helena go traveling around the Holy Land identifying holy site. She finds the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, she finds the True Cross. That's her like her real big get is like, oh I found.
Speaker 2: The cross that almer right there.
Speaker 3: No, we've joked about it before, but the splinters of the true Cross or sprinkled.
Speaker 2: All over her. There's so many.
Speaker 3: There's like in every church. There's so many churches that have like a little piece of.
Speaker 2: The to just like watch them all like massa to themselves back together into the cross.
Speaker 3: Like a supercross, like outside of a Texis auto dealers. Like just like the size of those flags.
Speaker 2: At the end the end times they all love it take.
Speaker 3: Like a small forest of crosses.
Speaker 2: Just what if it actually what if they are like a jigsaw puzzle and it is appropriate human sized cross and everyone's been telling the truth this whole time.
Speaker 3: Once again, I believe both. I believe because I don't have to. I believe the an answer exactly. So, uh, you know, maybe it was.
Speaker 2: Maybe it wasn't sure, I don't know, I don't wait right, So.
Speaker 3: Uh why this is why belief requires faith, Elizabeth, Exactly. Now, now that we got this ball a rolling, let's take a quick break, and when we're back, we'll get into more outlandish medieval era relic bets. A lot of these could be movies. I'm just saying, keep out there, back into it too, number back, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Are I need to really quickly get I want to say to sister collect Carol, I am so sorry, and you used to get me in trouble all the time. I noticed how I phrased that she used to be because of what she said are my quote muttered comments from the back of the room. And so we all saw this coming, sister Collette. But I don't mean anything by this same personal so send that out to everybody up there. I don't mean this is just Joshin's.
Speaker 3: And a ditto for me. So you're writing now to dive deeper into the century long tradition of blok theft. Yes, good, good, So this brings us to our next big holy relic theft. Elizabeth, have you ever heard of Saint Foi?
Speaker 2: Saint foy y e f o y.
Speaker 3: I was not familiar with her game.
Speaker 2: No, oh, it's it's she, Yeah, same.
Speaker 3: Foy was a Roman girl who lived in the late two hundreds and early three hundreds. She Fory Saint Foi. She was born into a noble family in a town called ajin age N in France. And at the time, the Roman emperor was Diocletian, and he was known for like violent repression, the persecution of the early Christians. He was one of the last emperors to really be like, no, f them Christians, right.
Speaker 2: He was one of the rock and roll bad boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, feed them to the lions, you know. So, Saint Foi she gets caught up in Diocletian's wave of persecution. She's arrested for practicing her faith. She refuses to renounce her belief in Jesus Christ. When she's brought before the Roman prefect of the area, this man named Dacian, she gets questioned by him. She gets interrogated. Saint Foix, praise aloud, Lord Jesus Christ, you, who always aid your own in every circumstance, be present now with your handmaid, and supply acceptable words to my mouth which I may give in answer before this tyrant. Now, this anger is the Roman prefectation, and he demands that you know you reject to church right now in front of me. I want to hear the words coming out of your mouth right and this is like, you know, it's a major no go for Saint Foy. She's like, for the name of my Lord Jesus Christ, and I have been prepared not only to be threatened, but to suffer all kinds of torments.
Speaker 2: All the slings in the arrows, right, yes, you know, She's like, I'll fring it up.
Speaker 3: So the Roman Prefect's like, okay, bet so he's like, I got torments to go. So same boy. She has to call upon God's protection because she makes a sign of the cross her forehead or mouth or heart, and then she's tortured. We won't get any of that because I don't know if this counts against our ninety nine percent murder free guarantee. But let's just say making a saint probably does qualify for all one. So she gets martyred in the year three oh three. At the time of her death, she's twelve years old. A twelve year old girl did all that, stood up to Rome to the point of death. Like I'm telling you, rocking hard and the same foid seriously. After her martyrdom, her belongings, especially those but she had, you know, to touch her skin, they get hidden away as whole relics. And in the fifth century, this basilica gets constructed because at this point, you know, the Roman Catholic Church has been formed and they're just building basilicas and anything that's like, oh, especially for the early Christian saints. They're like, let's let's make a memorial hair you spread the faith, give people somewhere to stop on their walks, right, So they make up basilica for her. It's constructed to house her relics. She becomes the patron of Ojen and her feast day Elizabeth October sixth, Okay, is not the end of her story.
Speaker 2: I was just looking up that she's the patron saint of pilgrims. Yes, are you going to talk about this? The prisoners, soldiers and those suffering from eye diseases.
Speaker 3: Yes, she was good. I'm curing blindness and getting people free. Those are her two p I love.
Speaker 2: When they throw in like you know all these people plus you know dyspepasias exactly. Oh yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: So. The year is eight nineteen. A monastery is founded is constructed in the town of camp in France. The monastery is originally like this quiet repose for spiritual reflection, just a few brothers hanging out praying all day. But what they what they realize over time is that no one's coming out to see them. They don't make the best wine, they don't make the best soap, right, and so what they also clearly lack is some holy relics. Right, So the brothers start talking. Time passes. They don't have any money, so they're like, how we're gonna get some relics? Right that? Can we pray on it? Should we ask some people like hey, would you want to bring us a relic to be like trade with another monastery? Like nobody likes our soap, nobody looks her wi right. So the year eight sixty six, some monks they get their minds around the idea of like okay's let's expand the idea of what is a legitimate way to get a holy relic? Right, So we need something to encourage some pilgrims to come out here to make a track to the monastery.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So they also want to basically put because at this point it's it's kind of a way to put your your name, like your town on the medieval map. But you get involved because it's basically they're making the maps. So they're like, yeah, stop here, you don't have anything. They're like, oh, if you run into it, good luck. But anyway, so the monks, they attempt to get their hands on the relics of Saint Vincent, right or Saint Vincent now the Indie Darlings, not that I don't mean the Indie Darlings singer songwriter, right, not Saint Vincent, but a Saint Vincent right now there's also uh, he's the og Saint Vincent of Saragosa.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well now they make like a if they're again they're trying to trade wine, brandy, like what else do we make? Do we do any woodworking? Nobody wants anything from them, so they can't get any relics. When that fails, they try to arrange a deal for these relics from the other Saint Vincent, Like they go like, woy about Saint Vincent too, So they go with a Saint Vincent Pampa Jack. Right, They're like, how about he like he's got two names, hook it up, right, and and he's the he's in the town of Ogin, so like that should.
Speaker 2: Be this is a local boy exactly.
Speaker 3: They're like, come on, monk to monk, hook us up, just like break us off like a digit, just like maybe like a knuckle right, and that fails. They get nothing, right, So the next these the monks of this abbey and kunks, they set their sights on some other relics in Ojin because like that we've been around, we've been eying relics in this you guys are you're rich with them, right, So they have like like what about the holy relics? The same boy, you know, the twelve year old girl who was old boss, And they're like like, they're like, well, what are you talking about? I don't know? So they they can't. They they're trying to work on a deal, right, they don't get turned down, but they really fixate on her relics. Right, He's like that would be great because, like you can point it out, she's good with soldiers, travelers, that she can cure the blind. There's a lot of like you know, blindness going around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, head on over.
Speaker 3: And she also would get prisoners free, so people with like hope, like oh my son got locked up and in the city which I'm praying on it would free them. Could put a word in they.
Speaker 2: Should have sold some dirty limericks to raise the money. Why not?
Speaker 3: Good move. So at this point, like the monks are like, we need to get some of this for ourselves. So we can get our hands with some relics the same void. We could turn this monastery into a real draw for tourists. Doesn't matter how bad our wine is, it doesn't matter how bad our soap is. They'll come just for that. So they come up with a plan. Enter a monk with crime on his mind. There's this monk named Eronistus, right, He's part of the Order of Monks and Conks. And he then he's like, okay, I'm gonna go deep cover on this. So he transfers to work in Ojen. Right, He's like, okay, they I'll break off a bone when I get a chance, right, So he's there, he joins their monastery. He labors it's just another monk, just brother Eronistus, And meanwhile he's working on his secret plan. But he's like crazy Elizabeth, He's like the forty seven roner and he takes his time, He like waits for it. So this guy ends up waiting because he's got like, you know, real devotion and patience because he's a monk. He waits ten years to put his plan in emotion. Finally, Aeronistas spends after a decade, working at this other monastery deep cover the whole time. Yeah, he works his way up the ladder till finally he's the one in charge of the reliquary in the basilica. So now he's like, oh, I can just take my pick right more I want. But remember everyone's still fixated on same voice. He's like, I to get a break off some saint FOI. So this loyal brother monk Aeronistus biden his time. His treacherous moment comes up right because as the guardian of the relics, he's like, this is an act of providence, This is proof that God wants me to do this. Sure he comes to He's like, it's a sly wing from God. God is basically saying, brother, you got this.
Speaker 2: Oh I get it.
Speaker 3: God, You're right, Angel's wings. You will float back to conks.
Speaker 2: Think too, about like how impressed we get with criminals who planned for like a month.
Speaker 3: Working as a monk, just back breaking labor. So you know, once aeronistas he's named the guardian of the Church of Treasure, including Saint Foi's tomb, it seems the right moment to strike, right, so strike he does. The date for his holy relic theft is he picks the Feast of the Epiphany, because remember he's like God's on the sage. Yes, he picks January fourteenth, in the year eight sixty six. But rather than me tell you about the theft of the skull of Saint Foil, Elizabeth, close your eyes.
Speaker 5: I want you to picture it.
Speaker 3: It's a quiet night in the month of January the year eight sixty six. When the sun rises, it'll be the Feast of the Epiphany, a key holy day on the calendar. But for now, it's still the small hours of the morning when everyone in the abbey is asleep, everyone but you, because you Elizabeth, are the criminally minded monk Eronistus. Yes. Dressed in your sackcloth tunic, you creep through the stone floored abbey, your open toaed leather sandals. Take tentative steps, careful not to make too much noise or any sort of rhythmic sound of walking that might wake someone.
Speaker 5: You creep along the corridor. You've waited not just days or weeks or even months, You've waited years for this fateful night to come, and now it's here, the night you plan to steal the skull of Saint Foi. After making your way from your personal chambers down the stone walled and stone floored corridors, you finally arrive at the marble Mausoleum, where the saint's skull is kept. You pause a moment to make sure no one has followed you. Hearing nothing but your own measured breathing, you decide to go through with your plan. You've stolen a workman's hammer and secret it away for your tonight's break in. You pull the workman's hammer from your sackcloth tunic with a tight grip. You take your first swing. The hammer strikes the marble mausoleum it's louder than you hoped, but you have an answer for that. You pull out a length of wool and place that folded over against the marble to dampen the sound of your hammer strikes, and then you strike again. A small crack forms in the marble. You strike again, and again the crack grows. A few more hammer strikes, and you break through the marble. The hole is just large enough to squeeze your hand through. You feel around and you find the skull of the deer departed saint. You retrieve it and then drop the skull into a small sack you're brought with you. You listen again to hear if anyone's coming, if anyone's heard your hammer strikes once again, You're breathing is all you can hear. You walk off, hoping like hell no surprises are waiting for you outside. When you reach the walls of the abbey, you sneak out and you find no one is waiting. You've gotten away with it so far. Now you need to escape the town of Ojin and make your way back to Konk's. In the dark and quiet of the night, you walk off the woods that surround the abbey best to avoid the roads even at this hour of night. You walk for hours, You cross both hill and dale, dark woods, dewy meadows. When the sun rises and the bird song begins, you say a little prayer that the Lord and Saint Foix will both see you through. You decide to chance your luck and use the road to Conks. At this hour of the day, it wouldn't be surprising to see a monk out walking.
Speaker 3: After an hour or so on the road to Conk, you estimate your halfway there, you see a stand of trees with a shady spot, perfect for a short rest. You rest your feet and weary body for a moment. In the shade of the glade of trees. You sip water from a pig bladder, and that's when you hear a sound that gives you a chill of nerves. It's the rhythm of horses galloping towards you from behind. You decide not to look up, and instead you keep resting. You can hear the horses drawn closer, closer, so finally they're right on top of you. And that's when you hear the horses slow from a gallop to a trot and finally a slow walk. The horse's breathing feels like it's right there above you, and you hear a man greet you.
Speaker 2: Monk.
Speaker 3: You look up and you spy what can only be a search party. The men look like the sort of ruffians and scoundrels that the church pays to do their rough business. The lead ruffian eyes you suspiciously. He asks where you're coming from. You tell them the truth and say ajin. The ruffian asks where you're headed again, you tell the truth. You reply, kanks, You're thankful that none of the ruffians and scoundrels seem to recognize you. Inside your chest, your heart pounds against your ribcage. You pray the men can't hear it. The lead ruffians, still suspiciously eyeing you, ask what business do you have in kok? Here you have to deviate from your true but not by much. You reply, I am expected at the monastery and conque you meet with the abbot about such business. The lead ruffian asks, Monk, gives your travels, have you seen any thief, perhaps thieves on this same road? A thief? You ask, as innocence you can pretend to be no, I have not seen many men on this road. Should I be worried. The lead ruffian laughs at that thought. What could you possibly have to steal a monk? Yes, indeed, you reply, without a trace of emotion in your voice, just moral certainty. The lead ruffian gives you a once over once more, scrutinizing you for any sign you might be lying or not saying what you should be saying. As he stares into you, searching for any flicker of guilt, you give him the well practiced, flat affect of a monk whose concerns are not of this earth. When he's done giving you the once over, he seems satisfied. Wait ride on, the lead ruffian exclaims to his men, and with that the search party rides off down the dusty dirt road, and their dust cloud falls away. You can no longer see them nor hear them. You exhale your nervousness, say another little prayer to the Lord and to Saint FOI for protecting you on this holy mission. You grab the little sack you have secreted underneath you, and you once again start on your way to Conk.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: There you go, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I'm very proud of you.
Speaker 3: Just pulled off the successful theft of the skull of Saint.
Speaker 2: Foil Did it, guys? I did it?
Speaker 3: Way to go eronistus. Now your favor walk to Conks is not without more drama because recall that the holy relics of Saint Foid, notably her skull, were known to perform miracles. You mentioned them curing blindness. Well, that's exactly what happened on the road to Conker. In the town of Thijak, the monk Ernists he stops to eat skull Saint Foi reportedly heals this blind man, restores his site. Boom boom boom. Right, this is just one of the many miracles that her skull would go on to perform through our sainted body part. And eventually, when this monk Aernistas he draws close to Conk's the other monks had come rushing out to greet them. Now did you get the holy skull of Saint Foi? Then they all travel back to the monastery where they set up a new reliquary. Now, if you're wondering how a bunch of monks could rationalize the theft of this holy relic from another group of monks, like yeah, no, no God wants us. This is like what's their head been made? Justification? Well, the idea at the time was Saint Foi herself gave her holy permission for her skull to be stolen and moved to a new sanctuary, because you know, like, did she appear before the monks and give a vision and her blessing? Did she communicate like through a dream? Yeah, great question, Elizabeth. The answer is no, no way simpler than that. The argument was the saint gives their implied blessing for their holy relics to be moved and relocated if you're successful, like because the same Foy would obviously not want the monks to steal her skull, so she would oppose them, and if they get away with its evidence that she wants them to be the new guardians in Custodia.
Speaker 2: Interesting you say that mine proved. I'd been thinking that, like when he rips her head off and shoves it in a bag, Like, how many indignities does this young girl have to go through her short life and afterlife?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And then I'm thinking, well, I guess if you become a saint, if you're sanctified, you know that your body isn't your own after that? And is it really ever yours? Is it? What I mean? It is always yours when you're alive, but after death, like what do you care you're not there? Yeah, So I just think it's interesting that because of their status as a saint, people aren't thinking of any kind of proper handling or become a thing dignified burials. It's yeah, you're you go beyond that. You're an object and you're a tool of the faith and of the church, and you know, besides you you know what indignity is. Let's just keep it rolling, you know how to how to face it?
Speaker 3: May just sat in terms of like like holy keepsakes. Conks also that they were famous for a bunch of other major holy relics, like, for instance, they were the home to the arm of Saint George the dragon slayer.
Speaker 2: Wait, they already had these or they had to go get them after editor.
Speaker 3: Right a little bit later around the same time, like by eleven hundred a blood. Yeah, the exact arm that Saint George used to slay the dragon. That's the one the actually there it is, so yeah, anyway, it was the skull of same foy that put Conks on the map. Have to attract bigger holy relics. Right. They also had Charlemagne's A. He had apparently he had a letter. He had a golden alphabet created twenty four letters because the used to be and the eyes of the jets, so he had in Latin. So he had four twenty six. They had the A, and all the rest are disappeared. No one had No one knows where any of them except for that day anyway. So so once the guys get there, the monks are there, they're like, what are we going to do for the reliquary? For like, how do we honor Saint Foix? So they make this one. It attracts like it's it's beautiful, right, and they you know, it's it's built to make it look like a warrior or you know, like a strong pose, if you will. So at this point, uh, they start to attract pilgrims and they're talking like you know, usually knights on their to like to say, like the Crusades and stuff. My favorite story of a blessing handed out by Saint Foid involves a knight. He came to Conk's. He was seeking healing and like relief, but for his herniated scrotum.
Speaker 2: No Elizabeth, he's not covered on her patronage.
Speaker 3: His balls were in a bind. He didn't know what who to turn to. So he has this vision of Saint Foid. She's like, yo, come to my to my memorial and and like, you know, we'll fix that herniated sad. So the Night travels to Conk's. Once there, he receives a vision of Saint Foi and she instructs the Night that he needs to find a blacksmith and once located, he needs to ask the blacksmith to heat up a hammer and then smash his testicles with the hammer, and that would relieve his suffering. Yeah, I'm not making this up, I swear to God. Sorry. He has his vigeon. So he goes around Conks looking for a blacksmith and he gets someone to hit him in the balls with a hammer. And if you can believe it, like when he's like, you know, he's uh, you know, fully at the idea that smashing his balls with a blacksmith hammer will heal his pain. He's convinced this will be a miracle. So, you know, active faith.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth a different plane with that pain, he can't.
Speaker 3: Doubt a saint, the saints, your balls with a hammer. It's gonna cure your pain. He's like, I gotta do it, So try to imagine it. You have this medieval knight seated on his horse. He's hired a blacksmith. He's heating up his hammer theeric you.
Speaker 2: Know it's at white yea yeah.
Speaker 3: And so once his white hot, he's like smashed me in in the sack, and just like Saint Fad told me to do. The blacksmith's is like, just wear I will not to be punished for smacking you. Most tend to sack with my hammer, and the Knight's like, no, you shall not be punished for doing the work of the low. Now strike me in my ailing balls, right, So the blacksmith winds up he brings that hammer down, Elizabeth, But just before the hammer meets balls, the knight faints falls off the horse. I'm like, sumps off the back of the saddle, right, yeah, falls off the horse, and according to the legend, the impact of the fall from the horse cured his HARNI hated sack scrolled him. So yeah, you go me cicle, Elizabeth. Wow, yeah, but I thought you'd enjoy that take.
Speaker 2: It's gonna come to a twelve year old girl and say, heal my private part. So he said, so she's like, I know how you can do it. Set a hot hammer, and then oh darn it. And Mary is looking down and like, girl, I told you you stopped telling them to times and then stop it. Okay, okay, okay, let's take a little break.
Speaker 3: We'll let that last one ping pong around and your unsanctified skull, and when we're back, we'll dive into the long strange practice of relic that we're back. You ready for more medieval madness holy crimes. Yeah, it's like a Smurfs episode over here. It's for our next tale. More than just nabbing a single holy relic, I want to tell you the story of a pair of duns who decided to steal the whole damn convent, all the relics inside. We'll take them all, Okay, the whole damn building.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, imagine France in the days of the Maravingian dynasty. I mentioned them earlier, So we're talking late sixth century, so circa five eighty eight, five eighty nine, and we're in Gaul which would later be called France. Because we're before the Frankish Empire's really taken over the area, Like there's no Charlotte's time. Then it's eight hundred, right. So our story takes place at the Convent of Saint Croix in the city of Poitiers, and our heroines are two princesses. There was Princess Clotilde. She was a Frankish royalty like the early progenitors of the family before they'd really made their name, right, but they were they were doing it. I mean they were like aristocratic, but they weren't nothing coming.
Speaker 2: They weren't like more people were talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they weren't like you should name the country after us. It wasn't that level yet, right. So she was the illegiti, a child of King Sharabey of the Maravingian dynasty, so legit king. But he didn't have a child with a queen or like some kind of like second wife. No, it was his side piece, a wool carter's daughter, okay, right, so who he fancied, you know, he liked her, it wasn't you know. So her mother was lowborn though, so Clotild had no claims on the royal life, right. But she gets raised at first in the castle so she learned some lessons. But then soon enough, once she starts to become like a threat, she sent away to live in a convent. Right now, the bishop and the chronicler of this early Middle aged period that we rely a lot for this story is Gregory of Tours right now. He knew Clotild personally, and he described her as having like heirs. He's like, oh, she she kind of yeah, she thinks she's cute. So he's like, you know, basically she has the additive of a princess, but none of the wealth or privilege. Let's help with her. Why she acted so crazy? He directly said that she was quote swollen up with boastfulness. I don't know why I made a British. But then there was her cousin, Princess Besina. That she was the daughter of King Chilperic and his wife all du Vieira right ord Vera. Now, starting at an early age, she loses her claim to royal life. First, her ancestral lands are stolen from her at age seven. Her new stepmother, this woman named fred Leagund. She she's like the third wife of the king, and she's like, you know, I'm bumping up the list, so she gets the first and second like sent to the distant places. So she because Marravinking kings could have multiple wives, Okay, so right, it's like totally legit, totally cool, totally like, so she wants to be number one wife. So she's like, you know, I hear there's like a plague going on in this other town. So she's like, like, how's Arles, right, So she sends her to this town that's having a plague. The king doesn't apparently know this, right, but the plague is just rampaging this town. So she hoped that would wipe her out. That doesn't do it, right, So then she like, I was like, okay, She's like, now like a Disney villain, right, She's like, okay, let me hire some mercenary soldiers. So she like hires emotion and she sends them to go kill Princess Sina and her mother and her siblings. And let's just say I'll skip to the chase. Things got hell of medieval Elizabeth in not the Disney way, right, like ugly, bloody, it was bad. We'll leave it at that because I want to keep this from being another official situation. My point is Elizabeth Princess Messina. She survives the assassination attempt, not everyone does, wow, but she now loses her claim on her essessterral lens officially right, because she cannot actually claim them. So she's sent to live in the convent in Saint Carale with her cousin, Princess Clotilde, and they both find their way there too, broken, shamed, you know, ostracized princesses. Now, I don't know what you know about life and a convent in the year five eighty nine, but it was not plush, I imagine. In fact, I go so far as to say it was bleak. It smelled like wet wool, and you know you're wearing handmade clothing and probably muddy leather shoes. Oh yeah. And by the way, everything smells like pigs and chicken, so there's that as well. Smells you. We ask former Princess Bessina and her cousin, Princess Clotilde, and they would tell you life in a convent in gaul in the year five eighty nine was punctuated by and I quote, starvation, nakedness, and above all beatings. Oh yeah, oh yeah, of course, when there's a hierarchy, yeah, that's true. So it basically in a convent, in the power structure, it can be just as hierarchical as anywhere else. Right, So once you get power consolidated at the top, like a mother superior in this case an abbess, that person can act like a tyrant, which she did. So Saint Croix is run by this abbess, lubou Vira, and she's she's like a total tire, right, So according to these two princesses, she's also a little bit weird. And she was allegedly inviting what they called strange men into the cloistered convent to hook up with some of the nuns and the hopes that they would get the nuns pregnant, and so she kept these also she kept this other man chained up in the basement of the convent. That's what they were telling.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's getting weird what chained updowns, Right, So the in.
Speaker 3: These folks in Gauls in the five hundreds, they were like really getting super medieval with it, like we got to do like chained up in our basis. Yeah, like like you know how we're gonna make the the image. You're the ones doing the thing where you're gonna reference we're going to talk about in turies, Yes, exactly. So this abbess, as I said, Tyrant, So these two princesses have become kind of the anti heroes, right, They're like, I don't endure this abuse, man, I'm not gonna take this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and as I said in Gaulish France, it's just a lot of abuse. And in the days of the Maravnkian dynasty, social abuse like this and mistreatment they were interpreted as a form of violence, just the same as if you've been slapped. Sure, so they respond in kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So after being mistreated for long enough, Princess Bessine and Princess Cotel they start a rebellion at the convent. They're like, let's take arms, right, so it's a legit ups rising. They get like forty nuns to back them. This is a big convent, Like you know, that's enough that it's like not it's a little a little bit less than like say half the population or third population, but.
Speaker 2: You can overthrow it pretty easily, exactly.
Speaker 3: But it's a big that's a lot of nuns. Anyway, in the year five eighty nine, they reject the authority of Abbess Lubuvira and uh they formally announced their reprising the rebellion. Clotilde Chip claims that she's gonna go tell her father about it. I'm going to go talk to the king, she says. I'm going to my royal kin so they will know of our indignity. For here we are based. I am tweeted, not as a daughter of a king, but as this spawn of filthy slave girls. She's like only throwing a little classism in.
Speaker 2: My critique, treating them like this is fine, but.
Speaker 3: How dare you fancy go? Isn't that right? Ladies? Right? So Princess Bessieena and her army of nuns, they roll forty deep. They march off to Tours, and they go to speak to her father and his bishop, specifically the main man, Gregory of Tours. That's why he writes all about this, sure, and he like they were all confident when they roll in talking about this mad abbess. And she's got like a man in chains in the basement, and she's like, you know, and they're like, what are you? Like? What are you talking about? How bad are things? So they brought basically medieval receipts amongst the army of nuns, Elizabeth number forty deep. Yeah, some of them are young nuns who are pregnant. They're like, how do you explain that, Bishop, So well, basically, Abbess Mubivera, she was, as I said, inviting the strange men to impregnate them. And they're like, here is my evidence she.
Speaker 2: Choose to get workers or something.
Speaker 3: I do not know. Basically, they kind of claimed that she was like a medieval Jeffrey Epstein, you know, like it was it was done towards okay. So unsurprisingly, Gregory of Tours is like unmoved. He's like, you know, I'm an old bishop. I've heard it before. I don't really want to get involved. Princess Bessin and Princess Clotilde, you're both, you know, shamed and ostracized women. So you click spoiled brats and uh, you know, you believe you're still princesses and clearly you're not, so get out of and so yeah, he disabuses them of the notion that they're going to do He's gonna do anything about their revolt at the convent. Meanwhile, this relative and aristocratic woman in the count of King gutrum. She hears they're poleas right before the bishop about having the abbess expelled. Ye, And so she promises these princesses. She's like, work, we're distant family, but I like your game, right, So she's like, I'll promise, I will have I will have your father send a royal commission to the convent and investigate your claims. Right, So that and like the will if they find what you claim, will remove the abbess under the king's power.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So the two princesses the army of duns. They agree, they go marching back to the convent. But now when they arrive, like you know, at the convent, they're not welcome there. They've run a riot or rebellion. So they've got to go down the road to another church and they take over that church and like, this is where we're going to hang out and wait for the royal commission to get here. Yeah, And they wait and they wait, right, and so meanwhile the abbess is like, I see you back. How did it go in tours? And so the two princesses are like, now it's cool, we saw a family, you know, so what's up with you? You know, you're still acting like a tyrant, and the abbess is like, you know, the school, you and your little army and your little church you you cannot come back around here, so beats it right, and or I will have you beat in. And the princesses are like, non, no, no, no, we ain't stepping inside your convent, and we're gonna stay in our church right where we are, so keep you, keep our names out your mouth. And now the two princesses they set up shop right. So they got this church of Saint Hilary, and they have their rebel army of nuns. But since this is like, you know, five eighty nine forty nuns ain't gonna cut it as an army, so they go being royal, they hire mercenaries or like, you have to do what dad would do, so we'll hire some men. So they bring in some men, and as Gregory Tours summed it up, they basically hired a bunch of outlaws and cutthroats and professional soldiers, or as he called them, murderers, sorcerers, adulterers run the way, slaves, and men guilty of all of the crimes.
Speaker 2: The sorcerers are the ones that I love.
Speaker 3: The flat totally got stars fall. So what happens once the commission arrives at the convent, Well, nothing, because the commission doesn't arrive. And then finally they send back word and the commission doesn't come and the like. But then after a long wait where looks like no royal commissions ever going to show up, one shows up. It's just the local bishops. They're like, they send us word to come out here and check. So four bishops who were like knowing that they're all implicated, they're all, you know, like connected, some deacons, some local clerics, they roll up. They're like, yeah, we're the commission. Church sold us to handle it. So the two princesses are like this, no, this is this is BS. So when they go to arrive to talk sense to them, the princesses they're not here in Elizabeth. So also the bishops are like, well, if you're gonna act up at eye, Gregory of Tours told us to excommunicate you. So you're excommunicated, and they're like, what thank you?
Speaker 2: At this point, I don't want to be.
Speaker 3: Do you see these stank ass men we got here in this church? And they go like yeah, well you should see what they do professionally boys, and then they have them beat up the deacons, the bishops, the local clerics, and then they don't kill them, they don't worry about that, but they basically toss them out of the church like, you know, like a country bar. Now at this point, realizing they're on their own and their war now against the Abbess, Princess Clotild orders are rb to go and seize the lands of the convent. She's like, go take their serfs and tell them their farm belongs to dust. They get straight mafia with it, right, her army of bad men only too happy to do this because remember they're all cut in wizards.
Speaker 2: They're going to get paid until she this is how they something exactly.
Speaker 3: So they go, they pillage and they steal, and they they loot right, and the convent surfs they fight back because this is how they eat and this.
Speaker 2: Is their stop right.
Speaker 3: So then winter comes, everything cools down for a while. Both sides retreat to their respective convents, their farms and churches. Meantime, King Guntram hears about this. He's like, ah, I gotta go deal. So he's like he sends out a royal edict, right, and he says like in his royal dude is basically knock it off and keep my name out your mouth, and that's it. This is like, no, no, it's not what he means. He's just saying that publicly, so he looks responsible. What he if you really read this, what he's saying is keep fighting, because he didn't say sick, you know, totally stop. He's like he said knock it up. No no, no, no, you're not reading it right.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I do what that normally means.
Speaker 3: In the court, it means something different. So winter passes, springtime arrives. The years now five ninety. At easter, the two princesses are like, oh, juiced up. They and the rebel army of nuns and mercenary bad men. They decide, let's settle for real, and they go and they attack the convent and they're gonna take the abbess and drag her out. Meanwhile, though, Elizabeth, because it has just gone through winter, she's laid up. She's got a wicked case of gout right. She's like, my ankles are killing me. I'm not walking down these goddamn cold steps. She's hiding out in the deep recesses of the convent. So this is lucky for her because the two princes they order their attack on the convent. Army of bad Man's attack. They show up at night. Their tasks with grabbing the abbess Lubivera right, and they abscond with her. But it's not like they have a picture of her right. And also it's like, you know, it's dark, there's candle light everywhere, it's kind of hard to see stuff. They're moving fast, so they grab the wrong woman. They grab a different woman. They're like, she looked like she was.
Speaker 2: In charge and she looks important.
Speaker 3: They take her back, right, and they're like, oh, that's not her, that's take her back to the convent. So they go because it turns out that's Gregory of Tours, his niece, and they're like, that's gonna be exting take her back. Meanwhile, one mercenary did, like, I don't know, on his own, like it's some kind of like Kevin Costner like bid like I'm gonna go this way down. So he's on his own going down the tower steps, he finds the abbess suffering with gout and she's like, you know, he's about to go full on medieval with her, he's got to sword out. You know, he's gonna go chop, chop chop, But he chickens out because she's clutching the True or piece of the True Cross. Oh right, It's like, I can't kill someone and one is an abbess and two was holding the True Cross like my soul's going right to hell. So he balks, he SLINKs off and this saves her from like bloody death. Meanwhile, as I said, the guys who grabbed the wrong one, they're like cot tail and a scene are like, are you are you kidding me? Do we have to go with you on the raid? He's like, point her out? Do I have to draw you a picture? Take her back? So they take the Bishop of Tours Tours like Denise back right, and so at that point when they're back, the mercenaries are like, oh, let's just keep going till we find her, So they search the entire combat that I don't want to get yelled at again. So they managed to grab the right abbess this time. They take her back to the Church of Saying Hillary, the stronghold for the two princesses. Then they locked the abbess in Princess bessin is like personal chambers. You stay here because it's not like they have like a prison. It's a church. So they and then they have the men go back because now that they have the abbess, the other nuns are all scared. Some have run for the hills. They they go back. The bad men steal all of the holy relics and everything they can carry. They loot the place like vikings, and they steal a piece of the True Cross. That piece of the True Cross they get that too, and you know, basically they get medieval with it. Like I said, Now the second bishop and local bishop here's about this. He's like, they got the true Cross. Oh man, are you for real? So Bishop metroveis from Poitier where the convent is. He orders local villagers and serfs to go storm the church. He's like, get your pick axes, get you to go out there. You gotta hate fork use that right. So, uh, they go down to church with Saint Hilary to free the true Cross. Because he also says if they get the first they're like they're professional soldiers. Some of them are murderers sorcerers in there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's wearing so much crush velvet scares the children.
Speaker 3: So the guy's like, Okay, look, they may have the bishops, like you know, they may have a mercenary army, but we have our faith. And if you don't go down there, I'm not baptizing anyone. I'm not offering no blessings. Don't come to me for nothing. So he withholds this. He doesn't like imbue it to them. He's like, I'm cutting you off it. So they're like, oh, he's liked, go free the abbess. So then they get the True Cross and so they go down. Now, Princess Clytilde, she had spent some time in the court. She knew the language of power, she knew what to expect, she knew that a new rating party was coming. So she orders her men kill the abbess if anyone breaks into our church.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, And.
Speaker 3: They're like, really, like that's can the young guy do it? So apparently this like it wasn't the one outlaw bad man who's afraid of killing the abbess true Cross or no True Cross, because this royal Ondoi shows up and the guys just let him in, like just take her, and then then she leaves with her. Then they're like I don't. I can't be helped.
Speaker 2: I mean, she's a terrible person, but you don't want that kind of trouble with the man upstairs.
Speaker 3: Right, don't put that on my soul, like poly walnuts. And it's just like I'm dragging salty. So finally the princess held uncle King Gutram. He intervenes again. He sends his dude, Count Maco to this convent rebellion that's going back in front now turning into a civil war. Different towns and things are basically, as they said, getting medieval. So he's like, all right, I need you to get full of medieval. And so Count Macho comes down and things get bloody, so we'll just skip past that part. Tell anyway, the hired mercenaries they flee. Those who can and still have legs they flee, and they head for the forest. Other head for the coast. They flee. And then the two princesses they get put on trial because you know, they stole the whole convent, they started a rebellion, they stole the true Cross. It's like a whole deal. So the abbess she testifies against them. She denies, like what strange men impregnating done. Who says this, these are lies? Man in my basement, changed up, what are you talking about? Because everything's gone, there's no evidence anymore, and no one's are going against her because she won. So and she's like, oh and the bishops and the and the deacons and the people listen. They're like, okay, that innocent. So she's innocent of the charges. They do it basically a double trial because at the same point the princesses are guilty. So they were like, okay, you're innocent, you're guilty. Yeah, and they uh. At this point to the revolts over, the local bishop formerly excommunicates the two princesses yet again, and they're not impressed by this.
Speaker 2: If you've been excommunicated once and you do it again, does that bring you back into the church, Like, I think you've got to.
Speaker 3: Be recommunicated, And then, you know, I think it's a back seat. Jesus slips around like you just you just made a big three to six and my man, So once they played the uno reverse card in the excommunication, right, they then have now been excommunicated let's say seven times, So now they're back to excommunicating because they got they got ex communicated multiple times during the revolt. They just kept trying there like it's not taking so luckily for their eternal souls. That Princess Clotilde's father, King Charrabee, he steps back in the picture. He's like, look, I will personally unexcommunicate you officially, so he has his bishop unexcommunicate him, and then once the princess has got restored to grace, he's like, look, can y'all chill the f out so I can like concentrate on, like, you know, controlling France or will soon be France. Princess Messina, she was like, okay, fine. She goes back to the convent at Saint Croix and she doesn't really have a better option because remember she's totally cut off from the royal line. Now, Princess Clotilde had a little bit easier. She was like illegitimate, but she's like family looks like you know, she basically had like a great aunt. This is the dowager so Queen Brunhilda, which is King Sharabe's mother, so I guess it's her grandmother. She's like, okay, I'll give you some lands on my own. So she stokes her out with like a Roman, like a crumbling Roman villa, and like lands like a bunch of serfs of her own. And so she just spends her days doing like court dramatics and court intrigue from her crumbling Roman villa. So she wins in one way, and that's all I got. So that's as close they get to a happy ending.
Speaker 2: Huh. I like it. I'll take it. There you go, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely ridiculous relic thefts to the point you see the whole damn convent. What's all ridiculous? Takeaway here, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting when you're talking about like the historical context around all these I'm wondering if the back and forth with a lot of the relic stuff is just cover for other political intrigue and and uh, you know, these are periods of time with which I'm not wholly familiar.
Speaker 3: There's also a lot of like showing you're in God's favor, right, Yeah, that's really powerful politics. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Point, But if you have other reasons, ulterior motives to make a move on someone, whether it's a another monastery or something, and then you do it under the cover of these these relics, you know, I think that we have. It's always it's always I was gonna say it's always dangerous when but I think it's just unavoidable that, uh, you know, religion and faith get tied in with politics geopolitics. Wow, I think it's just who we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think that it's I would not be surprised if people were using their their faith as a cover for others.
Speaker 3: It was very political. I mean, Gregorators is very much involved in politics. And because my ridiculous take away, thank you for asking. With the fall of Rome, they're left with like the roads, the villas, and the you know, the various wells and canals, and you know, the ability to like kind of like inhabit the architecture. And yet they don't inhabit the political architectures. They don't have it all worked out, so it becomes down to like who's got power. Well, the church becomes this consolidating place and you know, and they're also able to do labor, like they have like you know, a mill, so that's where you take your wheat to be turned into flour or whatnot. You get the idea that it's like they become the center of industry there. Once you merge organized power force and send industry, I'm just like, oh, of course. But then without the Roman decadence, this is what they do is they just steal each other's body parts, and they're like, this is Holy God's telling us to do this. So it's because just as reckless as the Romans, but just in a totally different way. It's like, oh, I got it, I got your kneebone, Bro, everyone's bone.
Speaker 2: Everyone's got a way to be reckless.
Speaker 3: Right, So there you go. Now you the move for talkback.
Speaker 2: I am truscy D.
Speaker 3: Can you throw one on the wax? Oh? Oh my god? Did you just see that?
Speaker 2: I let get okay, this is my second try.
Speaker 3: Uh. Lady host Elizabeth and Zaron, I.
Speaker 2: Love you guys.
Speaker 3: Your banter is so great. Elizabeth, you are a punk rock fan.
Speaker 2: I love that you mentioned Balancing Souls, one of the best albums ever.
Speaker 3: I love you guys.
Speaker 2: By It's over, we love you.
Speaker 3: That was great. It's like he was like in a room with it escaping oxygen. He's like, yeah, I gotta use bro, I have to get out this message.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that we were the last gasp on that one.
Speaker 3: I love it, so thank you for that. As always, you can find us online Ridiculous Crime on social media and now we have the account Ridiculous Crime Pod YouTube. Go check that out. That's pod pod with the Ridiculous Crime at up front. We have our website Ridiculous Crime dot com and uh we have if you can go there, take a survey, tell us about yourself. We'd like to check you out here about you, or you can just check out the Museum of Gifts. Very enjoyable. As always, please go to the talkbacks the iHeart app. Download it, leave a talkback and we'd love to hear your voice here. Maybe you'd like to do it, so do it. Go download and do it to talk back. Thank you for listening. We will catch you next. Crime I Think It Was Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Sarah Pier, produced and edited by our resident sainto Providence Dave Couston, and starring analyst Rucker Is Judith. Research is by the educated historians of our Abbi Marissa Browne and Jubari Davis. Our theme song is by our resident house band, The Syncopated Saints, Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by Bobby, five hundred guests, hair makeup by Sparkleshott and mister Andre. Executive producers are the proud owners of John the Baptist, Good Here, Ben Bowlin and Noel Brown.
Speaker 1: Ridicous Crime, Say It one More Time Ridiquious Crime. Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio. Four more podcasts from my heart Radio. Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.