Speaker 1: H m hm.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Welcome back all the smoke Atlanta. It's been a good trip so far.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah they ay time shouting were in here day two? Uh we got all Star.
Speaker 1: Fifth year, six year.
Speaker 2: This is my six year old bro. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, welcome to the show. De John Ty Murray. Appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Man. Let me connect you for a minute. So I'm glad we've done got uh got you locked in DJ on the couch? Man. Huh what's been supposed to have one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been going back and forth them on the d M for a minute. We two trying to catch up. Lit'sten, you know, schedules, they're busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got the star. Welcome to the show man. How's life? What's going on? How how are you adjusting to Atlanta? Man?
Speaker 4: It's first of all, life is great, bro. Uh you know where we come from, you see another day. It's a blessing, right, you know. And obviously to be in the situation I'm in in life in general, just you know, be able to try to find that peace, you know, some happiness and doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, so life's great. Uh, you know, as far as adjustingentlan ship. I'm trying to. I'll be inside, bro be outside. You know I've been chilling. I like to be in my own bubble, uh, locked in, uh with my family.
Speaker 2: So I'm adjusted to it. I know they get lit up here.
Speaker 3: So I think you just so now you have you got another one on the way. Yeah, how's that? What's that feeling like?
Speaker 1: Right? You got a girl? Dad? But what's that? I mean, what's that feeling? Like? Explained fatherhood to us in your opinion?
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, you know I grew up.
Speaker 4: You know, I always had uncles, aunt tis, my grandmother, my mother, and my father. You know, uh it was around, but my mom I ain't really grow up with that that that relationship like mom son dad son, you feel me. So it was more like a I call it like a group home, but it was love. It was me and all my family and raising my grandma's house. So it's like, uh, you know it kind of it hit different for me knowing that, like I ain't had a taking me to school, taking me to activities, waking up with breakfast, lunch, dinner, all that, like you know what I mean. So having my daughter is it's easy because it's what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 2: I always tell people I love or people.
Speaker 4: That don't know me that see you know me being a father, Like, don't praise me for something I'm supposed to do. You know what I'm saying. So you know it's it's crazy. I got another girl in the way. My daughter's excited. I'm excited. Uh you know, but fatherhood everything to me come first.
Speaker 5: I got five girls, so I know the feeling. Speaking of your father, I saw recently before I go to my quest, I saw you you talk about you went and raised when I saw you reached out to your father and the bottom of truck and still kind of men died that relationship. Talk talking a little about it because that that means a lot. I did the same thing for my father died like he stayed five minutes away from him, but wasn't there. But as I became a man and had kids, a boy, other women, I understand how it could be difficult. Yeah, I could not just be his fault, and I reached out to him and built our relationship before he passed. So talk about it because I saw you did the same thing for your popper. Sure you was just manute you pulled up with a truck for him.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, nah, I mean, you know, I love my dad, Like I think the difference that we have is I don't be trying to tell him like you were dead, be like I ain't on that, you know what I'm saying. Like for me, it's the times I needed you, you know what I mean. I just wanted answers. You could have told me like you know, I wasn't right. This was going on like I'm grown that I ain't a little boy. So it's like we can have them conversations. So it was like it was really you know, obviously I didn't grow up living with him, but I remember being around him and all that, and you know, we just bumped heads, I think from my teenage from being what eleven eleven all the way to you know, like seventeen eighteen, and I always ask them like let's just have a conversation, like I want you to get to know me, like I ain't the innocent little kid that he was used to being around. Because we want a long time not seeing each other, you know what I mean. Even to this day, you know, we're still bumping hiss. But I'll be telling them like I love you like I brought you to high school games, college games, the draft, you know, trying to build that relationship with him. Cause it's not easy, but it's not hard, you know what I'm saying. And it ain't about the materialistic things for me, like none of that movement you feel me.
Speaker 2: But I just know from a kid that he always liked the tahoe you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I ain't really did nothing for him since I made it, because my main thing being let's build that father and son relationship and all that extra stuff could come with it, you know what I'm saying. But I want to build that like I want that like I'm in the league, bro, Like I want you to be able to be at the games. I want to be able to talk after the games, like with my father and my mother. So it's like for me and him, we still just it's still hard, you know what I'm saying. But me remembering since a kid that he liked tahoes and knowing that the family. You know, he's living in Hawaii right now with his wife and three of my little sisters. So knowing that you know their family, I'm like, Damn, he got cars he ain't got no truck. So that's just me always thinking to my people. Bro, I'm a giver, you know what I'm saying. So you know, it wasn't even about the truck or nothing. It was just something that I wanted to do and just help him and let him know, like I love you.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, No matter what, Like I.
Speaker 5: Love you, You're gonna always be blessed for that mentality and attitude. Last Junie, you got traded by the Spurs to the Hawks. How did you find out?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I think I was in New York. I was in New York.
Speaker 4: Uh, just chilling, working out my homies and shit, and me and Pop was talking. I was in a bunch of like it started heating up. I was in trade talks, but it was always BS. You know, Pop, you been around and it was BS. He'll call me like it ain't nothing.
Speaker 2: It ain't nothing.
Speaker 4: Then it started heating up. And then I started asking questions though, because I'm in the gym every day. Like I stayed in San Antonio. I didn't leave for the summers, go back home, go la, none of that. Staying San Antonio. Yeah, And you know, I'm just curious to where we're going, what we're doing, you know what I mean, because not alone that I'm growing, but we're drafting younger guys and it's like it ain't fair to them, and it ain't fair to me because you know, I'm doing this and they just getting here, and you know what I'm saying. So I always I wasn't a selfish type to be like, oh, we got to get better players, We got to do this because they all talented. You here for a reason, you know what I'm saying. But for me, I just explain to popping them guys like it's just ain't fair for them trying to develop and then me, you know, reaching the levels on your reach and got years ahead of them and just figuring out what we're doing. And you know, they asked me, you know, teams that I like to play for, and you know, Atlanta was a team not only you know, because of Trey Young, but just you know, the culture, our people's out here, you know what I'm saying, And I love it. We played there last year before the All Star Game. We came here and played and I just felt the vibe. I felt the atmosphere and it was something I want to be a part.
Speaker 1: Of that's dope. I know. I mean me playing in San Antonio.
Speaker 5: I know like I left twice, and I know how that situation could hole players back. I went through it because while I went through it, I became a better player once I left. I appreciate the opportunity because I got a chance to play with Tim and Day win the championship and all that.
Speaker 1: But that's it.
Speaker 5: That system is not for everybody, and I saw that with you. You know, same thing I said with Kawhi was true when I got there with Kawhi. I see the same thing with DJ Bro. I say, it's about to happen. He's gonna get tired because he's not growing as a player. They wanted to continue to stay in that system. But he's not gonna be the best hymn in that system, am I right?
Speaker 2: Of course you witnessed it.
Speaker 1: You was there.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, So you could see between all that to fake all of it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So, of course, and.
Speaker 5: It's professional, don't get me real. Professional is a great organization to be a part of. But if you're not Tony Parker, Gerobli, Tim Duncan, that's not.
Speaker 1: A place where you have longevity.
Speaker 5: So I was glad to see you leave, and I was glad to see popping them send you somewhere where you could you know what I'm saying, where you can flourish immediately, because they will send you to somewhere where you'll disappear, especially if they know they got to play you again, you know what I mean. And that's one thing about my second time. He didn't want to send me the Clippers. He just cut me so I couldn't sign with nobody el because the players were about to start. See, I get it. I wouldnt want to see me either, but I wouldn't want to let me either. The league, everybody, me living here in Atlanta, everybody was excited to see you and trade together. How's it Phiel been on the corporate trade right now? Building that chemistry.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's a process, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I'm trying to put that through his head the rest of the team's head, like it's a it's a journey. It's a process, and what we want don't come overnight. It ain't easy. This league's a monster. As we know, you guys. No former players like the talent's off the roof. You know what I'm saying. So, uh, you know, obviously I like playing with him, just he could pass the ball, he could screw the ball. And I try to tell a lot of people like just around me, like I don't think he gets the credit that he deserves far as being his height and what he does. You know what I'm saying, Like I'm six or five, bro, Like, you know what I mean. So, no, I'm not gonna say easier, but six foot six five, that's a big difference in his league, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So to see him being able to.
Speaker 4: Be a thirty and ten guy like at his size, I don't think he even realized it how impressive it is, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But we're still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm somebody I don't want nothing easy, you know, I'm Bill Fradversy. I try to tell them like, we don't want nothing easy because at the end we're gonna smile, you know, we're gonna laugh, joke everything. But all the hard times, you gotta grind it out. You want it, and you don't you know what I'm saying. So, I mean, I like playing with them.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, like I said, it's a journey, it's a process. So you gotta just these are things that you just gotta sit and just watch, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But see, that's that's another thing with San Antonio. See you coming from San Antonio, you have more years of experience than you do years of playing from here. But they teach you so much over there. You know what I'm saying. You your your basketball IQ grows there and that's good for this team because the team has some ups and downs before you got here.
Speaker 1: They got high the back low again.
Speaker 5: And for you to be coming there to let you guys know, hey, we got a new team, but we you know, we're still growing, that's important. Bro, That's important because look at Boston. It's just on the half of Boston. They drafted that and it's just starting to happen. So the fact that you're coming in being a leader speaking like that.
Speaker 1: That's good for your squad. Bro.
Speaker 2: No, for sure.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Born and raised in Seattle. Uh, incarcerated at a young age. How did that shape your point of view once you left that situation.
Speaker 5: That's why I love him, That's why I fell in love with him. Because I knew his story.
Speaker 4: Now you know, it's love both of y'all shit. But I mean, you know, that was my environment.
Speaker 2: Like my mom.
Speaker 4: My mom, she grew up in prison, you know what I'm saying. Like she was in out of prison, in and out of jail all the time, you know, from a kid juvenile all the way to county to prison. And my dad he was you know, he was a hustler, uh you know, but he didn't really do no time like that. He'd been in jail, in and out, but he didn't really do no time like my mom. So that was my environment. You know, you're just a product in your environment. You just go with the flow. You're trying to make it to the next day survival, you know what I'm saying. And I had to. That had to be my mindset at ten years old, eleven years old, you know right away, even before that.
Speaker 2: But I always had good people.
Speaker 4: Like uncles, my grandma and you know, all the aunties and stuff that looked after me.
Speaker 2: We just as bad kids running around the neighborhood, run around the house. You know.
Speaker 4: Whereas it got to ten eleven years old, is you know when I started getting active. You know what I mean always was around older people, and you know, first time juveniles eleven, eleven, and then thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and I think the last time was fifteen. I knew I was always talented in basketball, and the judges always had something for me. It was like it was already written from God, or like I was always getting smacks on the wrist, you know what I mean. And I'm watching my homies get thirty years, forty years, fifty all the way to eighty years. Partners I talked to till this day. Every day. You know what I'm saying. And I remember the last time I went. It's a story I never told nobody. I told people around me. But I'm fifteen and I'm in juvenile and they detained me. They keep me, they keep me in for an extra thirty days. I'm thinking I'm getting out, MAYI. I'm supposed to be at practice. I'm supposed to be at school. So there's a big game coming up. It's Reyner Beach versus Botho. Zach Lavine went to Bothel So the whole city they knew I was younger and he was older, getting ready to go to UCLA. But they knew the talent was there, so they was hyping the game up. Right at SPU when ma All have his crossover rat and they hyping this game up.
Speaker 2: I'm in juvenile.
Speaker 4: I missed the game, biggest game of the year, biggest game in the city. And for me, it wasn't because they was hyping the game up. It just was, you know, opportunity to go out showcase myself, you know what I mean, and showed that I'm I'm ready to be the next guy. Knowing that Zach's head in the college and then you know, obviously the NBA. So I'm in there and I'm just thinking, like, bro, this ain't the life I want, you know what I mean, Like, this is not the life I want, you know what i mean, Like even if it ain't basketball, Like I got to figure it out. And obviously I had a great support system. You know, my uncles, you know, they built the plan for me. They like we about to move them out the hood. Were about to move them, you know, with my auntie rest in Peace was one hundred seven years old. I lived with her, and they was like, we're gonna move him out the way. We're gonna homeschool them, and you know, the rest was history.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: I got out, moved away, moved away from my family, the hood. Everything it was like I was ghosts. I was gone Jim House, Jim House every day for three years. So with his senior year, and I just seen you know, them tables turning when you start doing the right thing. I feel like God bless you, and God start blessing me each and every day.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Rainier Beach High School three times champ guys such as Doug Christy, Nate Robinson, Jamal Crawford, Kevin Porter Jr.
Speaker 1: What did that mean?
Speaker 3: Seeing all the dudes before you make that next jump, not only at the college, but have successful careers in the league.
Speaker 4: I mean it speaks, It speaks volumes of uh you know the high school. Uh you know what we what we represent. Uh shout out coach Mike Theah. Uh he been the coach there, the coach, all them guys all the way up to right now. And UH, for me, it just it just motivated me, you know, seeing them guys being around them, guys playing against them, guys getting to pick their brain. But more so, uh, you know, I took all their situations and just use it for what to do and not to do. Uh, you know, because we got a lot of guys, so even you know, Terrence Williams, he went there.
Speaker 2: He was nice to nice, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And for me, like I just I just utilized all that, Bro, I just I took advantage of it. You know, I didn't play with like I said, when I changed my life and I was like, I'm gonna do the right thing. I was to take advantage of everything good, bad, but mainly the good and and you know, all them guys played the part in where I'm at today. You remember do named Doug Rin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my cousin.
Speaker 1: That's your cousin.
Speaker 2: That's my blood cousin, Bro, Doug, blood cousin.
Speaker 3: Cool, so talented, bro, but was always in some ship, always used to play together in Au. Doug was so fucking cool, bro. Yeah tell him, I said, what up, I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 1: That was my home.
Speaker 3: He's still crazy, Yeah he was, but but stat he had so much game, bro, and went to the dug.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I got a chance to meet you at Jamal Crawford's wedding and we know what kind of obviously, what kind of basketball had Jamal is so Jamal doesn't tell none of us this shit.
Speaker 1: So we get there the first day. You know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I'm jumping off the bus or I'm jumping off the plane, going to smoke drinking. Okay, I got a couple of days off the chill. Jamal hits us, we got some shit to do at midnight. It was like midnight, what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna play some basketball, Like come on, what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: Like huh. So we end up going to where he has this program at. When I tell you that shit was sold out at midnight Jack like six thousand people in that thing packed. Little skinny dude with a curly tops.
Speaker 1: I didn't know who he was.
Speaker 3: This motherfucker killed had like almost fifty. He was only maybe a sophomore at junior high school.
Speaker 2: What I was a junior junior. I was going to my junior I believe.
Speaker 1: When I tell you, stole the show.
Speaker 3: Like no one was playing super serious until they saw how hard he was going. And then him and Jamal started going out. I was like, yo, who is he's He's going to the pros go. That's that's the little homies. He's nice, he's supposed to go to you, dub. I'm like, damn, this little nigga's cold. But you know me, I was trying to chill. This dude just came in the gym killing but that was.
Speaker 5: Always one of the hungry niggah man.
Speaker 3: But that was Jamal's like that, that's his bachelor party playing basketball.
Speaker 1: I was like, what are we doing in here?
Speaker 3: But that's when I got a chance to meet him and just saw and ever since then, I just kind of started phone him and just continuing to see his growth. And obviously, you know, Seattle is a hot bed for talent, and like you said, everyone played a part and you kind of making it. But speak to the importance of what kind of mentor Jamal Crawford has been to you and meant to you.
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, you know, Mal was the mall. Was the first pro that I ever met.
Speaker 4: And I remember it was like sixth grade and at this time that was a time where I was being a knucklehead but still playing aau ball and uh. He got a close friend, coach, teammate he played with, but their close friends. His name is Dave King, uh and Dave told him like, man, you got you gotta look look out for Terry's nephew. Terry's my uncle that grew up with him, and he's like, you got to look out for his nephew.
Speaker 1: He cold.
Speaker 2: He's sixth grade, but he cold.
Speaker 4: And to me, they like Jamal Cafford come to your game, and I'm like, I don't care going to hoop, you know what I mean, Like I didn't know the importance of positive successful people.
Speaker 2: Like all I knew was my environment, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So it's like I ain't care to take photos, autographs, none of that, you know what I mean. But obviously I knew who he was, and that was somebody always heard of and stuff. So I remember meeting him sixth grade. I think I scored like forty points that game, and he came up to me after and he's like, you got it, you know what I mean, and we locked in, and ever since then it was more like, you know, just him teaching this teaching that allowed me to be in the gym with them, bringing y'all back a bunch of you guys in the pros and allowing us to be around pros and see what it's like to be a professional. Not the money, not the fame or even your profession. Just you know, mean, see how y'all carry y'allself. See how true y'all real y'all that could still come and be around the youth, you know what I'm saying. So just just by him doing that, Uh, you know, they speak values and you know, I forever salute him just for taking me under his wing when he ain't have to. There's a million other kids that you could have chose, you know what I'm saying. So just having somebody like that, you know, be in my corner. Uh, you know, it's all love. And like I tell him, you know, I'm forever in debt with you, I'm always stankful and grateful, famam fam.
Speaker 1: Obviously the Sonics growing up? How many times does he tip with you a day? Yeah? How many times?
Speaker 2: Are crazy?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 3: What what was it like getting a chance to be a part of his uh his pro am league again, seeing those guys come through such as Lebron and you name it.
Speaker 1: Everyone's been through that league. But what was a part of What was it like growing up and being a part of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's it's powerful because obviously the Sonics is gone, you know, what I'm saying, So he don't have to do that. Obviously he took it along and put it on the weight on his shoulder from Doug Christy.
Speaker 2: But he don't got to do that.
Speaker 4: You know, you play and then you know, in the summers, y'all both players, So y'all know, time go by like this, you know what I'm saying. So for him, he give his twelve months a year to basketball, you know what I'm saying. He was playing in the league seven eight months. Then the rest he was coming to, you know, proing and proing and proing. So to see it grow from Rainer Beach High School to it was at the Vista and now he's at you know, SPU where it's a bigger venue. And just to see it grow and watch all these guys come there and just seeing the love that it gets just proves that we need a team, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So always say like when.
Speaker 4: We get a team, I feel like they got to give him the credit he deserved, you know what I mean, because just what he does every summer. You know, obviously we all play a part in it, but you know, he's the He's the main point of it. And he's the man behind it, and you know those are flowers. I give him to this day, and I'm gonna give him after this day, you know what I mean? Just knowing that we don't got a team and you bring pros to the city, right.
Speaker 3: You've been very vocal on social media talking to your NBA brothers about coming out and playing and whatever program is, just to get fans an opportunity to see you. Where did that come from? Is that from growing up in it pretty much and seeing what it does to the city.
Speaker 4: I think just growing up from it, but also just who I stand for, who I am as a person, Like none of this money fame like it don't move to Jonte bro like for real life, you know what I mean, Like I know who I am, I'm true to who I am, and I remember being that kid on that side, you know what I'm saying, and not thinking like I ain't never gonna meet.
Speaker 2: Him pro, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I never thought I'd me a pro even when I heard of Jamal and Jason or them guys, I'm I ain't never gonna meet them, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So just knowing that I made it this far, and I made it to this.
Speaker 4: I know it ain't nothing for us to go play, you know, for free, but in front of the youth or just low income people that can't afford to see us play.
Speaker 3: You got into a back and forth with another up and coming out of your way, Polo during the summer, and it got physical and it got real, and I liked it because I, like I said, I think that basket of that type of basketball is gone. But was that just competitive? Did you guys have a little bit of funk or was it just on the court and it was cool?
Speaker 4: The thing about me, bro, like you said, I love it like I wish the league right now is more like auld grab you could ri rah rah. You know what I'm saying, Like that's where I come from, you know what I'm saying. So I love it me personally, but a lot of people can't really take it. So with Polo, like I love Polo, you know what I mean, Like Polo is he's the one. You know what I'm saying, Ain't no competition in my head with none of us, the guys that already made it and the ones that's made it and the ones that sept trying to make it, but for me with him, like it was competitive, Like I don't talk one thing about me. I don't talk when I play basketball because I know that I played the game how it's supposed to be played, and I played hard. So it's like I'm gonna get the best of you, you know what I mean. And I'm gonna do my thing regardless. So you know, with that, they start ro Ryan you know what I mean. Uh, it was it was it was it Zken and the zekend. I ain't gonna get no pros. I'm like, I'm bringing a couple of my brothers from the hood, you know, a bunch of these guys, you know, some of the dudes that's trying to go overseas or some of the ones in college that need opportunity. That's what I'm going to get. I was the only pro And that was like the topic. Everybody was saying. All the top teams playing, Uh, they like, oh, baby boys, team just got he got a bunch of hood this and that he ain't got no they ain't gonna win nothing, you know what I'm saying. So I'm hearing all my omies is telling me, and I ain't tripping, So we get to the game and the sideline's talking crazy, like when I don't go outside, so when I travel, like we don't play that, you know what I mean, Like we move how we're supposed to move. So I got all my people with me, you know what I mean, and they just watched me. Who they enjoying it, you know what I'm saying, And they just ruying. They just yapping.
Speaker 2: It started with the bench and it started with the players.
Speaker 4: Then a lot of disrespectful things that I won't get into details start happening, you know what I'm saying, And I'm more was shocked the line got crossed. That line got crossed. You feel me like even seeing like I don't follow the media.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: You can say good things about me, bad things about me. It ain't gonna move me. It ain't stopping what I'm doing or who I am. But it's like I'm looking at a lot and it's like I feel like the world is like it's kind of like soft, like you know what I'm saying, Like it's moving to where a lot of people is just entitled but sensitive, like they can't take nothing. And I ain't saying nothing about nobody. But it's like if you know me, or you watch me, you will see that I don't ride with nobody like even in the league, bro, I don't rib riding none of that because I know ain't nobody about to fight, Ain't nobody about to do none of that. You feel me like, I ain't wasting my time, bro. So it's like that that game they was rying. It started with his partners on the side, like and they young boys, they nineteen twenty, like everybody hang with twenty eight thirty something, you know what I mean, Like, and we really from it, you know what I'm saying. So when they start crossing the line talking street stuff, talking money, Oh you suck or this or this and that, I'm about to turn this motherfuck up.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Because even my mama on the side like, yeah, you know what to do. Turn it up, you feel what I'm saying. And all I did was turn it up. That's all I did. And then for me, he went to the internet and said what he said, but was said I didn't like because once you show me, once you show me a certain way for who you are, then I ain't got time to be trying to frame you again or none of that like, I ain't got.
Speaker 2: Time for that. You cross the line, you cross the line. I want you to stand on that.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. Obviously, who can get the you know, emotions get the best of us. But the things that I was said, it wasn't It was like something that being wanted to be said.
Speaker 2: You feel me.
Speaker 4: It was personal, dog like and I don't bother nobody. I show all them love, bro. You feel I'm saying all of them, love all of them. I want them to be better than me. That's how I real I am, Bro, you feel me. I want you to make more money to me. I want you to have more success than me, because I know it's enough for all of us. And I'm a good person at the end of the day. You feel me, So with that, that's that, Man, it happened. We don't talk. Me and him don't talk. You know he still feel a way. But for me, my phone's always available. I'm always available because I know it ain't really it ain't really nothing. It's gonna come down to me and him meeting like this. I don't want to talk on the phone, bro, I don't want to be on the internet. See me in real life.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Let's have a conversation. Because I love you. I'll let you come to my open gyms. You want the rebound for me as a kid, all that I told you before, all them guys, You're gonna be somebody. You was the number one pick all my brothers.
Speaker 1: We was in LA.
Speaker 4: I jumped out of my chair getting a haircut, getting tattoos, bro screaming, you know what I mean. So it's like, I love that kid, bro, and I'm not surprised at what he's doing right now, you know. But it's like when that happened, I seen the change and a lot of people, bro, Like I've seen a lot of people, even from my city, they know they couldn't throw no salt on my name because they know, you know how authentic I am and what I stand for and I'm never in drama. But when that happened, like you start seeing true colors, like I start hearing all type of stuff, bro, former pros, seeing people try to pick a side. Ain't know side of the pick. We're supposed to be together, you feel me, but you start seeing the real you know what I mean. So that's why I just you know, I back off. But even so, I still watch his games. I support him. You asked me the Rookie of the year him. Ain't nothing changed with me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: A lot of them got mad because we we came and we did. We did, and I ain't had no pros. BRO beat them right, we won the whole thing. I T had like seven pros.
Speaker 1: We blew that.
Speaker 2: We blew them out. I'm telling you when I turned when I turned up.
Speaker 4: That semi semi finals game, versus pollowing them, I said, yeah, we're not leaving Tacoma without the trophy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna let y'all know. Like I'm getting calls from prison, they like, Bro, why'd you do that to I T? And why y'all doing that?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, and it was there's more statement like I was chilling, bro, Like you know, because in the summer, you want to protect yourself, so you ain't really trying to go that hard.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 2: But it's like when I start feeling that, you know, they start playing. They brought it out of me. I'm looking at Mom, I'm looking at the homies. They like, turn up y'all FU, And that's how I haven't you know.
Speaker 5: University of Washington, you played one year and went to the draft. How was your process with going into the draft and how many things did you work out?
Speaker 1: For?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 2: I left.
Speaker 4: I was so in love with college, Bro, I can imagine, just to just to know, I went sophomore, the senior year, really freshman. Really all four of my years, I really wasn't in class. Freshman year I was I was stuggn Bro, you know what I mean. I was only going to practice. I was literally going to practice, and it was back to the block, or it was back in the trap with my brother's Like I swear that That's exactly what my life was. My environment was so sophomore, junior, senior year, I start branching out. It started being the gym, like I said with my great aunt. Then I'm going to All American camps. Now I'm getting ranked, Now I'm getting letters.
Speaker 1: Now I'm this.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm doing the right thing. So I go to you, Dug.
Speaker 4: I didn't get accepted right away, so I told coach Romar, Like Romar, if I don't get accepted, it's over. I ain't doing the juco none of that. Like it's over. I get accepted, like probably like a month after I arrived on campus, Romar called me, he's crying. Then I just start crying because it's like that was the last thing. I'm like, Bro, I know I'm a person. If I stand on something, I'm gonna stand on it. Since a kid, That's just how I was raised. And I knew if I didn't get accepted, I wasn't doing no more basketball is a good dude.
Speaker 2: Great dude, bro, great dude, Like I love him to death. Bro.
Speaker 4: And when I got accepted, it was on the popping because now it's like, okay, I'm mapping it all out. I wasn't thinking about the league because I know, like I'm about to lock in. I got everything I need around me from the weights to the trainers everything. So this is going for me to just show up, go do your thing. But for me, it's like, damn, I'm about to enjoy college.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I'm about to enjoy being in class again. Like I ain't been in classes eighth grade with students. You feel what I'm saying. It's four years that I was around no students. So when I get to college, I'm tripping three hundred people in one class.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. I'm like, bro, what this is? I made it?
Speaker 4: I'm telling I'm calling home, like even though homes thirty forty minutes away, but I'm like, bro, I made it, Bro, I made it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then just being around all of that, and you know, obviously I locked in.
Speaker 4: I said I'm gonna go to like three four parties in the beginning because you know, football seasons early, and then they start ending when basketball starts, I'm like, I'm gonna go to like three four parties.
Speaker 2: Went to like three four parties.
Speaker 4: After that, I'm like, when the season start, I'm locked in the gym, practice, school games.
Speaker 1: That's it. Time go by.
Speaker 4: I ain't even think about the league, bro, I promise you. I'm just I'm high off life. I'm happy to be there, like I'm enjoying all of it. And now they just start I start hoping. I'm hooping, hooping. I see one scout next week, tenuts next practice, twenty scouts. Because we had Marquez Chris two. He went number eight in our draft, and I'm like, this should becoming a reality bro, Like it's all right here. So I'm trying to stay focused. You got in the newspaper, the news. You going around campus now, can't go to no class, there's nothing, and it's just like NBA. He's gonna go to NBA. He's gonna leave, He's gonna leave.
Speaker 2: Mini. This was never a thought, bro. I thought I was about to go to school for at least three four years.
Speaker 4: And it comes to a point where it's like January and I'm like, I'm getting the information information and they're like, yeah, you're gonna go top ten from former pros all the agencies, You're going top ten.
Speaker 2: So when when I heard that, I'm like, obviously you want to win. But it's like.
Speaker 4: At that moment, my mom was house to house, you know what I'm saying, Like hotel, just my my whole family, like the cycle, the whole was all messed up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So for me, I'm thinking for my family.
Speaker 4: Even to this day, I think for my people because I feel like God gave me that blessing to where he put all the weight on my shoulders to carry because you know I can handle it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's like.
Speaker 4: I told Romar in January, like yeah, Romar, I ain't gonna tell the team because I don't want my teammates to start feeling the type of way or you know, any selfish any of that. So I'm like, Romot, I think I'm gonna go. And from that point I stopped going to school. It was just practice and Romar, you know, he knew we had that relationship to where I could go do that and tell him, you know what I mean. And when we got to like what I think, March, we went to the n it we lost, and after that I let my teammates know all my brothers, like, you know, I'm to the league. But even them, they're like dog go because they knew my story. You know, they seen it, They seen the pain, they seen all of it. They see my family, how deep they came. I had the whole family, the whole hood that you done. You know what I'm saying, Like it was so crazy. They used to the security used to tell me, like, man, tell your family to chill out.
Speaker 2: They two turts. They leave it at halftime, trying to come back in Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know, come on, man. So it's like when I.
Speaker 4: Get to the point where I'm like, yeah, I'm out of here, and then I chose the best. I wouldn't visit like three four agencies. But Rich Paul was just too He was too authentic for me, Like he felt like he was phrased, you know what I mean. Before I even knew his story, before I moved to Cleveland to understand, you know, where he's from, his block, his neighborhood, you know his story. Like I just since that because you know, real recognize real for real. We could see through real fake all that. So it's like when I first met him, bro, I was like you one of us. Bro, I'm like, I ain't meet with nobody else. Like I'll be in Cleveland and April Raiders start my draft process, you know. So we get out there more to Cleveland with my uncles and we're there for like what three months, and I worked out I even go to Combine. I worked out for seven six seven teams. All them teams promised me, majority of them they all promised like and they was like, don't go to Combine. Rich was like, I don't think it's a good idea to go to combin just from the information he had and the thing about me that bothers me to today and showed me the business of it.
Speaker 2: But how cutthroat this is? Like I was honest with him.
Speaker 4: They went the information they was going to get on me, the league, They went everywhere, as you guys know, they went everywhere. They went to middle schools, high schools, janitors, juveniles, you know what I'm saying. Random people. I had so many random people come up to me like, Yo, they came up to me. The janitor at you Doug when I made it and came back to go work out, he like, they came and they're asking me like, did you ever disrespect Did he ever disrespect you?
Speaker 2: Was he mean? Was he nice with what?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, So that's when I started realizing that it's really federal. They really investigated, you know what I'm saying. So when when I get to Cleveland stuff, you know, I work out for them, teams, interviews, all was smooth. They always blown away like yeah, he got the work ethic, he just needed a chance. Great person and he was honest because they asked me. Obviously I ain't speaking on a lot, but you asked me certain things like you know, I'm telling y'all what y'all need to know, and you don't need to know what you don't need to know. But it's like I was honest with my upbringing, you know what I'm saying, Like I was honest about everything they asked him out he was juvenile four time? Yes, I was, you know what I mean, just honest about everything. And I just remember the majority of them like, oh, we're picking you, whether it was nine, Milwaukee, ten, eleven, twelve, up all the way to fourteen. So we get to the draft. I brought everybody in New York. Dudes ain't even been on the plane before. They in New York.
Speaker 2: So we in my room.
Speaker 4: I'm getting dressed, and a lot of weird things start happening. Bro, Like I'm getting calls now, like yo, the Fed is the Fed is looking at a lot of people in his entourage.
Speaker 2: Bro, this is what a team's calling. I ain't gonna say they name with a team called, like the FED is looking at him a bunch of people in his entourage. I'm like, huh.
Speaker 4: Then a lot of weird other stuff start happening. So now I'm looking at Rich like we ain't even got to the table yet, you know what I'm saying, I ain't. I'm still getting dressed, smiling, playing music, and were getting ready to get to the green room. And when we get to the green room, now a lot of weird stuff start happening, bro, Like a lot of teams start texting Rich like.
Speaker 2: His background.
Speaker 4: Oh he was in the game all this, like the stuff I seen, and somebody did some foul some foul, foul business, bro. And like both of y'all gonna be disappointed when I tell you off record, like what they did? You feel me like they did some foul business, bro, that spread it Rest in peace. Paul Allen told him something spread it around the whole league, like, and it wasn't something they already didn't know. It's just like that person was like trying to stop me from making it. I don't know if they seen me as a threat, seeing me as whatever, but they was like, man, we got to slow this down, like nah, let's spread this around. You know what I'm saying. And that shit hurt me because I love that person. You feel me like I love that person and that weak and that was my that was my process. So I'm sitting at the table, mind you said Antonio was they all came to Cleveland to meet with me. San Antonio is trying to trade up for me. They had the twenty ninth pick, yep, but knowing the information that they had from all the teams, like, he's not going past fifteen. So san Antonio told me, like in the interview, like, we can't let you go nowhere else. But san Antonio like, we got to trade up to the lottery to get you, Like we're about.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 4: So I'm in the green room. I'm like, shit, I ain't even might. I don't care about going lottery.
Speaker 1: None of that.
Speaker 2: I'm just bro. I'm about to shake the commissioners in.
Speaker 1: Bro, I'm about to get in.
Speaker 4: I'm about to get in the dough, like you know what I'm saying, Like, so I promise you, bro. Like even people said I look mad at the draft, they don't know. I was mad at text messages I was seeing that was spreading around the league.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, That's what I was mad about. But do you not know that the hope that I gave.
Speaker 4: My city, my neighborhood, my family, my brother's in prison. I got thirty four people that I talked to in prison to this day. You feel what I'm saying, and they get to see that Bro, like BRO made it, I can get out of prison, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: My family's like BRO made it. My mom like my son made it, no excuses.
Speaker 4: I could go be whatever I want to be, you know what I'm saying, because they know I come from exactly where they come from. So it's like that process, Bro, it was a blessing. Like at the end of the day, first round twenty ninth, and I didn't know a lot about it, Like me going The difference from me going what twelve to twenty nine was money that if you work hard, stay true to yourself, be a good person, you're gonna make that money.
Speaker 2: You gonna make it back. And then you know what I'm saying. So that was the only difference.
Speaker 4: Obviously you got the hype that come with it, the politics that come with being a top ten pick or late first round, second undraft, you know what I'm saying. So for me, I was in the door when I shook the commissioners in. You gotta think this wasn't no video game. This was real life, like you know what I mean, and the rest was history.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 5: What's your first impression of the Spurs when you get there, because you know when Pop told me he wanted to sign me. The first thing he told me, Look, I know you smoke weed. We're gonna sign you, but you can't smoke weed. And you know me, sure, Pop smoke ever again in life, smoke couple. I was left right, But they know everything about you before you even set foot in there. Your first impression when you got to San Antonio?
Speaker 4: My first impression, bro, I just was like, first of all, the Spurs was hell of boring to me growing up.
Speaker 5: Like San Antonio is a leading city for obesity for women in Texas. Let me throw that out there. You get that I lived there. All they do is eat and don't work out.
Speaker 2: And my barber he knows about that. He for the tone you.
Speaker 4: Know life, Hey, But when I mean when I mean boring, it's like when I was growing up and they was winning, Like.
Speaker 2: You know how we play like we were like a I you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Oh, Like they was past cut screen away Like I was like, I don't watch the Spurs, bro, Like they're born you know what I mean. But greatness, don't never get it twisted. I won't never get it twisted. Greatness, that ship don't work for sure, for shure, none of that swing swing.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, none of that works without.
Speaker 4: And that's what I said when I was young watching You know what I'm saying, winning, You know what I'm saying. So first impression on I get there. Obviously I know my history. So one thing about me, I always like, bef I meet somebody or you know, obviously the NBA. I love basketball, I love studying it. So it's like, you know, I knew they were different. There was always a team that was never loud, you know all that, not flashy, not flashy. So even me, I'm like, damn, the way I play, even though I play the right way, I'm like, I still got some shit to me, Like damn, going to San Antonio, all right, I'm about to take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: So I go.
Speaker 4: It's like a roller coaster. You know what I'm saying. It's a roller coaster. Bro Obviously I know I'm not about to play right away. Like our starting lineup was Tony Danny kawhi uh, the Marcus Audrige para Gasol brom not about to play, Like what about to.
Speaker 2: Go Wave Towns? You need some Gatorade, g League, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So for me, Popp didn't even like he ain't even talked to me when I first got there, I'm tripping.
Speaker 2: I'm like, MONU didn't talk to me, popped and talked to me. TP ain't talk to me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm like, damn, these motherfuckers like me, like they like me or what they don't like me?
Speaker 2: Like what's going on?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. So I'm like, man, I ain't tripping. I'm rocking with Kawhi, Danny Green, we had Jonathan Simmons. He's from Houston, solid, solid, real one. You know Kyle Anderson. So I'm I'm rocking with him, you know what I mean. I'm rocking with my guys. And as times start going, I made an impression like I'm about to lock shit up. I'm about to play defense, get every rebound, every loose ball, everything.
Speaker 2: And because you know, we don't practice it lot. We don't practice.
Speaker 1: Quickest way on the court in San Antonio is.
Speaker 4: Playing d We don't practice. So I'm like, I gotta utilize because these guys is older, like.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So when I get my.
Speaker 4: Chance, it's training camp and that's it. And now you just got to hope somebody rest that get the game or you know, obviously you don't never want to see nobody hurt, but you get hurting an opportunity to the next person, next man up, you know. So for me, Bro, the impression was really different. It was like something I've never been around, you know what I'm saying, Like, and it was a roller coaster for him.
Speaker 2: I used to go home mad.
Speaker 4: I had my uncle living with me, and I used to go home mad Bro just from not understanding, Like when we come from you won't understand what they're putting you through, you know what I'm saying, Like I didn't understand nothing, Like like they'll throw me in the fire, then they'll make me. They're like, you're not I'll come to the arena. They're like, you're not dressing up today. I don't even got a sports jacket. They trying to give me a big ass sports jacket, like now you could wear palkasas sports jacket. Like so for me, I'm like there's a lot being thrown at me, Bro, and I'm like, man, I don't like this, bro, Then I'm going home. I'm telling Unk like Unk's older, he's just enjoying it, like he having fun.
Speaker 2: You know, his nephew made it and he out there with me.
Speaker 4: I'm going home, like, Man, I'm busting Tony's ass and practice, I'm busting Patty Miller's ass and practice, I'm locking them up.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm like, damn, like, give me five minutes, give me seven minutes, like then they send me to the G League.
Speaker 2: Then that's time start going bro.
Speaker 4: Like they bringing a point guard from Argentina that's close with Manu playing in front of me and Minam. I'm behind Tony Patty. But they playing these mind games. They trying to see if they could break me, not knowing you can't break.
Speaker 1: I want you to break yourself.
Speaker 4: They want you to break yourself, you know what I'm saying. And they doing that though I'm at home tripping punched holes, you know what i mean. I'm rob Ron, my uncle's vinn.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: But a lot of just more start they playing other guys that was second round picks, undrafted in front of me. Now, I'm just like, bro, what's going on. I'm hitting rich. I'm hitting Rich. I'm like, Bro, I gotta get traded. He like he ain't got no value, you feel me. I'm like, man, Bro, this is too much.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what if they put me through? Bro, I don't understand. I start hearing your name, Steve jack went.
Speaker 2: Through a lot of BS. Obviously we know you.
Speaker 4: I know you cod so you gotta tell you come on, bro, And it's like a lot of people like I start get building relationships, like you know, my barber from there, we seven knowing.
Speaker 1: I went through because I used to go in that same shot.
Speaker 2: You feel what I'm saying, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So like I start building relationships with you know, people from there, not a lot like he really don't like you know, he's solid, you know, and brought him alone with me today because he's solid, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But like even him like he brought up you.
Speaker 4: He's like, man, Steve Jackson, you remind me of Stephen Jackson, his uncle, all of them. They like you remind me Steve Jacks like he was going through the same, you know, vincing mad d da da da. And now it's like people don't realize, bro, I went through so much there, Like I was there six years.
Speaker 1: You feel I'm saying, like, you don't seem like he was there that long either.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: But it's like.
Speaker 2: I feel like, really like and they know I feel this way. I feel like they really like they drafting me.
Speaker 4: But they feel like the stuff that was going around the air of me coming from the hood and not out of die, that I was gonna make it. And on too Roge thirty people smoking, drinking and articles about fighting just ruining their reputation to what they stand for as a spurs. You know, I think that's what they thought, but they never said that, you know what I mean, just from the stuff I had to go through. And when they seem like he needed a chance, and this motherfucker be in the gym, like they start having to kick me out the gym, Like when they say you got access twenty four hours every day, knowing I wasn't playing, so I'm like, uh, lace him up, like we took the gym gym, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I was just every day and obviously.
Speaker 4: I started growing first year go by, you know, throwing in the fire in the playoffs versus the Rockets. Then my second year, they see I come back obviously getting stronger, getting better. And then I was the year I took the job from Tony popped about us in the office. You know what I mean, He told Tony Tony ain't like it.
Speaker 2: I know he ain't like it.
Speaker 1: You know he ain't.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like for me, I love real, Like keep it up, buck, when you keep it a hundred, bro, I'm gonna love you for that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And I know he didn't like it.
Speaker 4: You feel me because if he liked it, he would have mentored me the way he should have. Right, he wouldn't have went to Charlotte. He would have stayed right there. You feel I'm saying, And that's me. You're gonna get the real just how y'all all the small y'all, Yah, yeah, the real.
Speaker 5: See it's not funny he say that, bro, because I know the type of person Tony is. You know what I'm saying, great player, gonna go down the Hall of Fame. But he's very selfish. He's been selfish. We would have had more championships and more success if it wasn't for him being so selfish. But he was told as the sixteen seventy year in France that he was this. He come to the NBA starts as a nineteen year old, and you know what I'm saying, But he had a rude awaken him because once we got to the playoffs, it was Stephan Marlberry.
Speaker 1: It was he's a kid.
Speaker 5: He couldn't handle them, so we had to pay Speedy Claxton. So I know the real Tony. You know what I'm saying. He can fool everybody else, but he is one of the most selfish players I've ever played with.
Speaker 1: And I'm just they ain't got nothing to do with what he's saying, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: He's one of the most selfish players I've ever played with, bro because it's all about him, And I don't know how he made it in that system so long, you know what I'm saying, because that's a system for everybody that that they want. They want everybody to yeah to everybody sh But at the same time, I don't know how he waited that long because Genobili was totally different as far as a teammate.
Speaker 1: That's definitely one of the best teammates I loved in my life.
Speaker 2: I love money, you know what I'm saying. So it's like to pick up for my second year taking that job. Pop told us. So now it's like I see everything. I observe.
Speaker 4: I'll watch everything, like even now like I watch there would be I'll watch a game and I won't even look at the Maid dunk the Maid three. I look at the bench to see who's clapping and who's sitting there looking mad, Like that's the type of stuff I look at because.
Speaker 2: I want to see, Like you a team guy, you want you feel what I'm saying. Not for real, bro, Like, So it's like my second year. Now I'm doing this.
Speaker 4: I make all defensive team, youngest since Kobe rest in piece of Kobe. Uh. Now it's like it's on the popping. So now I'm like I got a taste of it. Like now I'm starting. I get to go into the summer healthy. I know I'm coming back starting, ain't looking, ain't looking over my shoulders. So now I'm about to go to your three. I get hurt, come back, get hurt. Preseason and that was the year, like every scout, every coach, that was the year we got well, that was year we got Tomorrow. We had themar They'll all tell you who looked like the best player training camp. I came back with like, yeah, yeah, I ain't here to step on those toes, none of that.
Speaker 1: But I'm here to be me.
Speaker 4: I'm here to be me. And now I got that confidence. And you guys know, when you get that confidence in this league, it's over.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 4: Then I feel like I got it, Like I'm like, yeah, I got it, because now they're calling people. I got people back home calling I ain't even know, knew this certain person in the organization, Like, you know, they say you look like a monster, and training can they say you look like a monster. You made a statement. So now it's like, yeah, I'm ready get hurt. Damn one thing I could say about them. They see me in the gym eleven months straight, six days a week, and they did reward me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's like.
Speaker 4: It's it's if he is this is that, But it's like I could always love him for that, appreciate them for that. It ain't about the money. But it's like, bro, you know you get hurt, like you know what I mean. So it's like you go on to year four. I'm back playing year five and back playing. But now they got they drafting people. They really got me competing, Like they really got me competing with Derek White, because now they draft Dereck White and he played well in the playoffs the year I was hurt.
Speaker 2: So now they're like, damn, should we make Derek the point guard or dejonte?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: But they they can't just say that because now they paid me that summer, you know, and he was only what his first year or whatever second year, but they really got us competing. And I feel like I love Pop, but it's like I feel like he cited with Derek more than me because I wasn't a yes man, not saying Derek's none of that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I love Derek, great teammate. We talked to this day and we'll get late, we'll get down to that later.
Speaker 4: But it's like I feel like he sided with him because you couldn't play with me like pop, you know, Pop, Like you couldn't rob rob with me and be disrespectful like if I ain't really do nothing now if I like did something wrong, stop turning them up, fucking ball over. Your teammate was open, like I'm cool with that, but getting personal, like you can't play with me like.
Speaker 2: That because I'm a at the end of the day, bro, you know. And then I got a daughter, like, so.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to get a coach in LA for that. I got traded as soon as the trade deadline happened twelve oh two. I was out of there because he just you could talk shit to me and yell at me here for bad play, but don't disrespect me as a man.
Speaker 4: As a man, don't play that game, because are you gonna do that outside of these cameras, in these facilities.
Speaker 5: And the situation Pop puts you in, he know how you're gonna respond. Before he put you in that situation.
Speaker 1: He did it to me.
Speaker 5: He asked me to say that Genoble and Danny Green was better than me right before the playoffs started, because he knew I was gonna blow up.
Speaker 1: But you know, I walked up, went off on the walked.
Speaker 5: Up as I'm before he even asked me that Tracey McGrady at yeah, he had landed the same day before he even asked me. So he knew what he was doing and he knew I was gonna respond like that. So Poppa is very smart, you know what I'm saying. But they do their hardwork and they expect the worst from certain players, like when they get guys like us on the team. But in all actuality, the ownership has been in the meet, in the media, in the news for more ship than any players ever played there.
Speaker 2: You need that.
Speaker 3: Kawhi as a teammate. We don't get to see much of that. He had him as a young fella.
Speaker 1: He was a vet to you. Speak to what Kawhi is like as I just off the court, cool locker room dude, and a mentor to you, man.
Speaker 2: Kawhi dope.
Speaker 4: And the thing I love about him is like when you when you comfortable in your own skin, you gonna get way more love like facts then you even expect, you know what I'm saying. And for Kawhi, he's like, Bro, I want to be on the internet. Bro, I don't want to be in the media like I want to live my life.
Speaker 2: I want hoop.
Speaker 4: I want to hoop that motherfucker be in the gym, Like you know what I'm saying. So it's like he's like, I want to hoop. Be in my family, my boys like that shit, but I want to hoop, you know what I mean. So for Kawhi, it was like he's really part of the reason why, Like I made that defensive team second year, Like he came to me, He's like, bro, don't worry about trying to get fifteen twenty points. He's like, go make the all defensive team. He told me that your two training camp. He's like, go make the all defensive team. I guarantee you if you make that, Now you get on the court. Like you said, defense, get you on the court, especially in San Antonio. So he's like, go make that defensive team. Now you stamp yourself. He could play d So now they got to have you on the floor. So if you're on the floor, your ass is gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to be able to play offense too, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So it's like I took that, and I just other than that, I took watching him show up every day off days, game days, practices, before all of that, putting in work twenty twenty thirty minutes. It's sharpened over there, getting right after we practice back on the court like that's all he wanted to do. That's all he wanted to do. So for me, I'm like, damn, like this motherfucker finals MVP. I already won the finals, Dvison player of your All Star, you know, made money all that, like, but he's in the gym like he don't got none of that, Like he's trying to please these dudes like to make it, to make the team.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, bro, I got no excuse. Bro, I already love a game though, I don't need that to like motivate me.
Speaker 4: But that just put in a whole different perspective for me, Like yeah, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You see it, and that's that's That's what it was with him. We talked to this day. We laughed about all type of ship, joke about all type of ship.
Speaker 1: We made the West Conference finals.
Speaker 5: But soon as pop scene, I say, Jack, hold up after practice.
Speaker 1: Got to get him out of there. You gotta get.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, obviously, you you told us your upbringing the ups, the downs, the juvenile detention centers, the dead homies, the homies in prison. Twenty nineteen, you signed a sixty four million dollar contract chain to me, that's just the beginning, because you're gonna get the one hundred plus next up.
Speaker 1: But what did that mean to you? Knowing what you've been through up to that point? Man?
Speaker 2: You come from, you come from just the struggle. You come from the hood.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: They say money don't mean nothing, but Bro, that should mean something. That shuit means a lot where I come from. You feel I'm saying, y'all can relate, Bro, Like are you feel me?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I remember eating top running four months straight and.
Speaker 5: Putting hot dogs in it one day, all that sent it the next day, all the different meals, a ram, the noodles.
Speaker 1: They don't know nothing about that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: They don't know Like we really competing in the house who make the best noodles? Chicken, the beef man, we had every kind shrimp, beef, chicken.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with chicken out hell yeah.
Speaker 1: But for me, Bro, it was it was like.
Speaker 4: It was like, damn, this shit is real. Like I'm still like tripping out where I'm at. It's not like I can continue to say I say this. Everybody around me. No money, fame, success, it don't mean nothing to me. Bro, it can't move me to make me feel like I'm better than you.
Speaker 2: I'm better than you.
Speaker 4: We all equal, you know what I'm saying. Obviously some got more than others. That's life, bro, you know what I'm saying. But for me, when I signed the deal, it was like when the process is going, like I had my brothers with me because that was the year I was rehabbing, so like I had a couple of my brothers with me and just always engaged with my family everybody, And I think just when it happened, it shocked everybody, you know what I mean, because, like I said, everybody know where I come from, what I did, like what I had to do for money, Like so it's like, damn he legal, Damn he did that, Like you feel me Like, So for me, it's like I get to take care of my people and take care of my people as I'm.
Speaker 2: Maturing and growing.
Speaker 4: It's always not hunt here's one hundred thousand, here's fifty thousand, there's ten thousand.
Speaker 2: It's not always that, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Putting them in rooms with certain people, being able for them to call me if they got questions, if I don't know the answer. We're gonna go get the answer, you know what I'm saying. So for me, it just was a blessing, bro like it Obviously it made our life better, you feel me. It made our life better, not just me. It made our life better knowing that at the end of the day, we got each other. But God put me in this situation. I got us because I know how to handle it. Though you feel me, you was made for Yeah, I know how to handle it. So it's like, you know, you see dudes go broke, Dudes blow money, Like I was dealing with money in the hood, so I know how to deal with money. Obviously, not no millions you feel I'm saying, But I know.
Speaker 2: How to deal with money.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: You feel me, We was playing with that, you know what I mean. So it's like this is just another level.
Speaker 4: But when you know the bigger picture, in me, I love basketball, So it's like knowing that all this come with basketball, it only turned me up even more.
Speaker 2: It made me more hungry, you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, Like, what's next? Go get more, you know what I mean, Go get bigg you know all that. So it's like, at the end of the day, I believe in God. I'm thankful, I'm grateful, but I also like I believe that it was written. Bro, Like I believe it was written because I watched everybody. I watched all my peoples. We ain't had nobody successful just to go to college. Bro, you feel mean, like like he.
Speaker 1: Was really excited when he was explaining in one year, like I made it. That was dope.
Speaker 2: That was dope, dope. So it's like, you know, signing that it was it was a blessing, bro.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously, start learning more on the business side now, you know, learn about the investments all that stuff. So you know, now it's just for me, Bro, It's like, continue to be a great person, but continue to work and get your all out of it, Like, don't be that guy, Like damn, I wish I would have did this.
Speaker 2: I would have did that when I retired.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to get everything out of it. I'm one hundred and ten percent invested in New Balance.
Speaker 1: What was that process like? And how's it been? Another check man?
Speaker 4: That's the reason why with them, Like obviously you know, like we all grew up Jordan, we want Jays, we want Jay want we want the.
Speaker 2: Max is the forces. Like.
Speaker 4: So it's like I was with Nike my first first three years and then obviously that year three I got hurt, and Nike they offered me something but nothing.
Speaker 2: You all know how they get down if you're not one of the guys.
Speaker 4: You feel me, get new balanced, New Balance. Like I was with Nike and they was talking to Risk like, man, we like him. We don't know his story, but the things we hear and what we see how you carry himself, Like we want that because at the point they got Kawhi, they just got Kawhi and obviously you know Kauhi my dog, Like, so I'm talking to him through that process like you rocking New Balance? They cool da, Like I'm not worrying about oh how I'm gonna look, bro, I got swagged, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put it together.
Speaker 1: It ain't you feel me?
Speaker 4: So it's like yeah, yeah, you know a lot of people gonna be like man, that shit uglier or this or that, like nah, I ain't wearing that, Like we're gonna figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you feel me, so New Balance. I'm loyal, bro.
Speaker 4: They was loyal to me, and they weren't even paying me a dollar or sending me no merch like they was loyal. They was showing me that they wanted me.
Speaker 1: Why it was hurt.
Speaker 2: They're like, we want you to represent our brand, like we want you.
Speaker 4: To be a big part of it like Kawhi and for me, like just the way they was reaching out, reaching out, reaching out, then start sending gear, sending gear like told Rich like, Bro, I want to go a new Balance.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. I want to be different. I don't want to follow no trends and never been the guy to follow no trends, no ways. I'm like, we're gonna turn them balance up. I signed with New Balance, the whole city and New Balance, wholehood and New Balance. You feel me, my whole family, New Balance. Now I'm seeing people everywhere I go. I see New Balance, you know what I'm saying. So it's like at the end of the day, Bro.
Speaker 1: They got some dope, especially all the way, Yeah.
Speaker 4: They got some dope shit, but they also got some like the designers that they got came from Nike, Adidas, all the mother you know, the brands and just putting it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, first time All Star. What did that mean to you?
Speaker 2: Unbelievable? I know that felt great, Bro, it was unbelievable. Bro, even though like I feel like because I think we was in like the ninth place, ninth place, I believe, So I feel like I should have got voted in like when it happened, and I didn't get like voted in.
Speaker 4: Like I was at the house, like my family hot. You already know how them households get like they hot because they announcing it. You know, some family they all came out to San Antonio and we all I just got back.
Speaker 2: I just got back home, and I just.
Speaker 4: Remember, like they ain't call my name, has nothing nothing the reserves, they ain't call my name.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: I was hot. I was hot. My family was hot.
Speaker 4: Like I see I see my brothers crying like they hot, like you know, like they trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: I'm like, bro, it ain't nothing.
Speaker 4: You know, we're gonna We're gonna get there, like because God got us, you feel me, but he got me, like I work hard, great person. So it's like it's bound happened, Bro, sooner or later. I thinks a couple of days go by. Obviously you had guys hurt. I go to the gym, and you know how Pop is Pop smart, he already know I'm in. They vote, they got me in, Adam Silver put me in. But it's I have no clue. I'm just going to practice, go to practice. After I'll leave, Pops like I have a great day.
Speaker 1: Da da da dah.
Speaker 2: I head home.
Speaker 4: The family still there, and he just, uh, he just randomly called me like can you uh can you come back to the facility. I'm like for what, Like I'm gonna see you tomorrow, Like what you need me for the facility for He's like, man, just come to the facility.
Speaker 2: I get to the facility, I go solo.
Speaker 4: As soon as I walk in the door, like congratulations, all start bro.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm like, I'm like, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 4: Then obviously it starts blowing up the the text message to cause all that.
Speaker 2: I start breaking down, crying, bro, Bro.
Speaker 4: I start breaking down crying, bro, Like I'm like this this shit crazy, Bro Like nah, this ain't true, bro an all star, this sh it ain't true, bro, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So I go home.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I hug all them guys.
Speaker 4: I hug all of them the staff, everybody coaches, everybody front office. And as soon as I get home, bro, whole family crying.
Speaker 1: Bro, the whole they already knew it, you.
Speaker 4: Or they already knew because they started getting out. They just knew I was leaving to go to the gym. So I walk in the door, I walk in my house. Everybody crying. Bro Like, but it's like tears of joy. Like that motherfucker used to be in the rain at five years old by himself. I was in the snow by myself, no backboard, just the rim. I was in the house getting the laundry, you know what I'm saying, all that, getting the hangers, pull them on the door, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: All that, And that's what you've seen, like and from all my.
Speaker 4: Family, and I think what really made it hit difference is we lost my sister not too long from that.
Speaker 2: My sister was killed like months before that, and.
Speaker 4: Our family was kind of in a you know, like a head down, like sad man, like just a revenge mode, you feel what I'm saying, Like because she was killed, you know what I mean, by her boyfriend. So it's like brought some positive, some positive to to the family.
Speaker 2: Again. They're like, reborn this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And it just was.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: Like even still like I still feel like I ain't did none of it. I still want to get better. I still want my coaches people to criticize me to get better, to be better, like so I can make it again, make it again, you know. But it's like it's a blessing, broen you able to do that? Like obviously basketball sports team, you know what I mean. Like, obviously we play basketball, so it's a team game. You can't win without the team. But you got your individual things.
Speaker 2: You feel.
Speaker 1: Me it's say you was a top twenty four player in the league that year.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That's unbelievable. Bro, you feel unbelievable. That's unbelievable. So it's like that I'll never go over my head, you know, forever gonna be be be thankful for that, bro.
Speaker 2: And for me, it's like, get gotta get you to get back. You know you don't want to be no one here, wonder I gotta get back.
Speaker 3: Very humble, grounded family basketball. Outside of everything you told us so far, who were you off the court?
Speaker 1: What do you like to do. I mean, obviously fatherhood is big for you, but what do you like to do just in your spare time? Bro?
Speaker 2: For me, I like bowling, bowling. I love bowling. I love bowling.
Speaker 1: It'd be nice.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, bal let's go bowling. Already, wavery, you know, let's go bowling. It's raredmly go bowling. Because for me, it's like I grew up in parties, bros and clubs at thirteen. I was in twenty one over clubs thirteen, fourteen years old, you know what I'm saying. So it's like to make it to where I'm at now, I have no interest in that. Like a lot of these dudes, like older dudes, young dudes, it's new to them. They just now being able to get a taste of it off the porch lake. I was already doing that, you feel what I'm saying. I was already dealing with a woman. I was already you know what I'm saying. I was already in clubs everything, have money, cars, everything, Bro. So it's like, now I'm at this point in my life, it's like it's just basketball for me. But also because I already did so much in the early stage, I have no interest to do things that already done.
Speaker 2: You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So a lot of people, like my brothers, even when I was a San Antonio, they used to tell them guys like man, get them out the gym, like, tell them to go take a vacation, tell them to go, I don't know, do something else.
Speaker 2: Get basketball off of his mind.
Speaker 4: But it's like if you ain't grow up like me, you know what I mean, Like you can't relate to me, like you don't understand where I'm at, where I'm at. And also I know how I was judged in that draft from the things that I did or I was around as a kid, and I don't want that to be the reason that, you know, they boot me up out of here.
Speaker 2: And I feel like my chance is knowing they know my story. I feel like my chances ain't.
Speaker 1: Like get a lot of fuck ups.
Speaker 2: I feel like I only got one.
Speaker 4: Soon as I make that one, it's curtains, it's over Seattle or wherever you're going, you know what I'm saying. So for me, like, bro, it's really fatherhood, my family. I like bowling, but I really be inside, bro, like I really be inside and I have fun doing it, though, and I try to tell like my brothers, even dudes, I mean to lead, bro, I try to tell them cause they even my teammates from your want of San Antonio to year seven now in Atlanta, they see our own party brong drink on smoke and they see that and they're like, bro, why Like you know what I'm saying, like, go have fun? You are you know what I'm saying. But I'm having fun. And I try to tell them, like, don't let me affect what you do, bro, regardless, I'm be good regardless, but I'm comfortable who I am. I have fun sitting at home watching six games at a time with my daughter, my family, my girl, on FaceTime with my family, you know what I mean? Like I have fun doing that, answering prison calls over and over, chopping over with them. That's my life right now. When I'm done, I'll probably start doing more. But right now I just know for like it's it's messed up. That is this way that I got to think like this, But it's like I feel like I go to the club or something, You're not about to play with me, you feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's like in a position.
Speaker 2: Why I put myself in that situation, bro? That position? Why I could just be at home.
Speaker 1: Bro, because they do a lot of they're doing a lot of playing outside.
Speaker 4: They're doing a lot of playing, you know what I'm saying. And we don't play like that. It's hard to stay out the way. It's hard to stay out the way, bro, you know what I'm saying. So it's like for me, I'm just focused.
Speaker 1: I know what I want. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But also, like I said, I don't I don't want to be on the headlines for no negativity. Bro.
Speaker 1: Too hard.
Speaker 2: I work too hard, bro. And I know you take away me. You take away a lot of village.
Speaker 1: Bro. Yeah, you feel me.
Speaker 2: You take away a village, a lot of people. You feel me. So it's like I'm cool, Bro, I like chilling. I really be with the kids for real.
Speaker 5: That that that that that says a lot about you and how how important your family and your village is to you. Because a lot of people can be selfish. I want to do this, it is my life. I want to do this and not care about the people that's dependent on them.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. A lot of people like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: You spoke to Rich's loyalty and the relationship you've built with him. Have you been able to build a relationship with Bron knowing that that's obviously family as well?
Speaker 2: Man, I talk to him all the time. For me, I just he I mean, like we talk who But more so like knowing that that was my.
Speaker 4: Favorite player growing up, Like Bron was my favorite because I love to play the game that way. Like obviously I grew up watching Ai Kobe them dudes, is like I'm going to eat buckets. Yeah, fuck all that, I'm going to get buckets blank. But with Bron, Broun's doing everything. That's why you look up.
Speaker 2: You look up after game. It's like he got thirty.
Speaker 4: One, nine and ten, Like he did everything, you know what I'm saying. So that was my favorite player from when he first got to the league, when he first year rookie year. I remember, I'm like, that's my favorite player. He played a game the right way and obviously he was special. He's still special, right, you feel me? So it was like he invited me to his camp. I think I was what sixteen seventeen, right when I start blowing up. I think it became like a top thirty recruit at the time. So now I'm going all the All American camps and he invited me to. It was like twenty players, and I was want of the guys to go. And then we on the team with each other, and obviously, you know, Maul told him about me and all that, and uh, we was able to have conversations at his camp, and then obviously I signed with Rich and Clutch and that just made us tighter. And it's like now, Bro, like I know his love's genuine, like when I go around him, like you good that hug that you know, I love you, little bro. But more he be checking on me too though, like happy Holidays and you know, seeing them play with my daughter like all the kids everything like and just to know that to have a great person like that, not just basketball like person Louis he's doing. He's a great person, but Louie's doing off the floor. Like like, Bro got a school. He have a school. I think that's the biggest flex more than anything else. He has a school. And that ain't either that ain't you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, especially being African American.
Speaker 1: Bro, it ain't easy.
Speaker 4: So for me, like when I tell you the money, the fame and all that championships, Like I look at him as like, Bro, he have a school because that's something that like I would want to do because I speak who you are as a person and what you really care about, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So the relationships thpe, Bro, you're.
Speaker 1: A great one. Bro.
Speaker 5: What's one player that's musty TV for you to write? Now when you're watching games at home? One player?
Speaker 2: May y'all know who Jay?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 4: Crazy? He crazy? He crazy? Yeah he is, Bro, He a motherfucker. He's musty TV.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I know, I know I love it to be everybody.
Speaker 4: If it ain't, I don't know who is what you're watching, what you're watching, what player bring the best out you?
Speaker 2: I think I feel like everybody because now I'm getting in that and you.
Speaker 1: Got you got that? So you want to kill everybody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that attitude.
Speaker 4: But like even now, like being in Atlanta, Bro, I'm still trying to figure out, Like you know, it's a it's a new role, it's a new situation, it's a new team. So now I'm like I'm trying to figure it out like you know what I'm saying. But for me, it's like I want to destroy everybody. I want to take the ball from you number one, So you better call that screen. You know what I'm saying, Like that's just my mentality, Like I want to get the best of you on both ends, but more so is everybody because like I said, you want to play the best, Bro, you don't. You don't want nothing easy, you knowe what I'm saying. So every night like you got dudes, the league is so crazy now. Who look at Houston? Yeah, them up with Kevin and Jalen. They could both get thirty years.
Speaker 1: The record ain't shit, but they could play.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. But all they need is some veterans and you know, right, y'all know what they need, Jabari. They just need the right But I'll be trying to tell people because a lot of people like you lose the you lose one of them younger teams that's you know, not mature or got that experience, Like bro, the league is at that it's that talented. You could lose to a team that got eleven wins or the team like Boston with thirty wins. You could lose any given night night and ain't know they know, Oh you're about to blow these guys out by thirty forty and the bench about to be able to play the last three four minutes.
Speaker 2: It ain't like that no more.
Speaker 1: Bro, You know what I mean, talent.
Speaker 4: So it's like, you know, I love, I love playing against everybody, man, I love I love watching the game, and just love competing with the best.
Speaker 5: We were kind of in the area where we started the two way player because we was guys that put so much pride in playing defense. We talked about you getting it from San Antonio. But then again I would say the same thing. But one thing I can't give them credit for is I cared about stopping the man that I'm guarding.
Speaker 2: That's not no credit to them for that, No credit to zero.
Speaker 5: And it's not a lot of that in the league right now. Na, What is it in you that makes you take pride and defense? Because it's a scoring league right now, they want buckets. That's when very pride in defense. What is that in you that's making you different than a lot of guys in league right now?
Speaker 4: Growing up playing with the older guys, being five years old, playing with My uncle's fifteen, seventeen eighteen, and we're playing twenty one.
Speaker 2: The only way you get the balls you get a stop.
Speaker 4: Better take the ball, you better get a stop, you better get a rebound. I'm five years old, bro, Yeah, five years old. These dudes is about to be eighteen years old. I used to get frustrated, like because it was times I didn't get the ball, and I used to get so mad, like I.
Speaker 2: Gotta figure this shit out, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's where it comes for me, like playing with my uncles and then obviously start branching out to the neighborhoods and start playing, you know, in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: And now it's like I'm not getting.
Speaker 4: Embarrassed one you know what I'm saying, But damn shot, I know there's only one way for me to get the ball, and that's to stop you. So it's a pride thing, but it's a hard thing, dag. Like you know, like some dudes just don't care. Yeah, they weren't taught that. They all they think offense is the end goal or whatever defense wins championships, games, or however.
Speaker 2: You want to put it.
Speaker 4: You feel what I'm saying, so that's that's that's where it comes from me. I credit all my uncles and all their friends, bro, Like they ain't give me nothing easy. They made it hard on me from day one. When they seen that I was having the ball in my hand at one two years old, They're like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: By the time, you know what I mean, slapping that out your hand. Yeah. Yeah, So that's where that comes from.
Speaker 5: Last season, you had a string of tweets in the chef say he's top ten. Ever, I mean, I can't disagree with you, but to talk about that, by Steph's greatness, he differed, bro, totally.
Speaker 1: Let me say this. I was never when they drafted him. I Jack didn't believe in Steph.
Speaker 5: So I was there, bro, and I'm similar to how you was when Santana go up. I'm damn there, thirty five thirty something. I don't want you, but I did not know Steph. I'm gonna say it every time I get on. I'm sorry, but I had no idea who you was gonna be. Bro, No idea, Bro, But you know, it's so crazy.
Speaker 4: When I seen him play that run he had at Davidson the last year before he left, to the league.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: It was like I remember, like we could be going to get food, or we could be just going somewhere. I'm like, I gotta get to a TV. I gotta watch this dude from Davison play. That's how crazy. That's how crazy it was when I seen that. I'm like, bro, he could shoot.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this dude if he gets to the league, because I think he was in the time where like I wasn't into the mock drafts or I ain't know nothing about that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I just know, like, get to the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we get to the league though, Like it ain't easy, bro, but they be having you know the guys they hype up, and they weren't hyping him up. I feel like, but obviously he may put him unnoticed. And I'm like, Bro, that dude get to the league and get opportunity, he's gonna go crazy.
Speaker 2: I didn't say he was gonna be this.
Speaker 1: Nobody knew that.
Speaker 2: I didn't say none of this.
Speaker 4: I just seen the way he shot the basketball off the dribble, you know what I mean, all pinned downs like catch and shoot.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that dude's gonna be somebody.
Speaker 4: So it's like now, Bro, just seeing it, Like you got to credit his his hard work, his dedication, bro, Like you know what I mean, Like when I hear about his workouts, like hearing stories from people, like they're no joke.
Speaker 2: He is who he is for a reason. God blessed him. But he got that hard work working.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean, that dedication, that focus, that drive, Like, Bro, I gotta keep going until I'm just done, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So for me, Bro, he's I mean what he got, he got it. I don't know what else he gotta do.
Speaker 1: He got it.
Speaker 4: And he changed the game though, Like he changed I feel like when you changed the game, not too many guys can say they did.
Speaker 1: A handful handful changed the game. He changed the game, changed it on all levels. You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously I coached my kids at a younger Look, they come in as soon as they put their shoes on, they start shooting from half court.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what about just nah Dad? Nah?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 1: Like that he changed the game for real.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like I remember the shooting fade away Kobe. Now it's Steph shoot him half. Like you said, he changed the game, not just men's women's too, change everything. He changed the game.
Speaker 1: He did absolutely.
Speaker 3: You know, quick hitters coming down the home stretch. First thing to come to your mind. Let us know three artists in your pre game rotation.
Speaker 4: Mm hm three artists, bro. Uh, I really listened to what I could relate to. I don't care about your personal life. You make good music. You make good music, Bro, I don't know you as a person. You feel me so if I could relate to it, and it gives me chills from ship I have seen dead been through, like that's what's in my play with some substance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you feel I'm saying, let.
Speaker 1: Me get an example, but.
Speaker 2: The ones Dirk, Dirk's the one. He's the one.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, He's the one.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? That's you jam and constantly.
Speaker 2: He's the one.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel it like you give me chills, Bro, you feel me give me chills.
Speaker 5: That's that's probably scarface for me. Scarf Mamas, Tupac Tupac can't go.
Speaker 1: Players of all time Top Top five man, Man, Man, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to hear your list because we just had Charles Barkley's list and it was good, but it was it was he's older.
Speaker 5: It was a dope list. Yeah, three of them got to come up out of three of his list.
Speaker 1: They got to come up out of there man, three of his list.
Speaker 5: Three people on his list. They had eight teams when they.
Speaker 1: Was playing his list ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't go I can't go back.
Speaker 1: That far's no need to cook.
Speaker 4: I can't go cook Man. It don't gotta be like card five man, Bron, M J. Kobe Shack. I'm throwing tim in there.
Speaker 1: Bro, that's my five. I have magic ten, but that's my five. That's my five. We got the same five that so is so so is with that order, Bron, M J. Cole For you, that's your top three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you you didn't ask for you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm asking you. I'm asking you. You want to do or the three? Just those three? Who who's your order? Were those guys in your order?
Speaker 3: I don't care if they're one, two or three in the world, And those three were Who's one, Who's two?
Speaker 1: Who's three? Bron, M J.
Speaker 5: Kobe Okay, Yeah, absolutely absolutely, I'm obviously round m J.
Speaker 1: Cole.
Speaker 2: Bron that he was a killer. He was bucket them.
Speaker 1: Three, them three one show or movie you could watch on repeat.
Speaker 2: Martin Easy, come on, man, come on man, yeah, two three in the morning. You know it's so you gotta watch that. That's man too, little Rodscop. That's crazy, that's crazy world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh man.
Speaker 5: Any course our game to rewatching the past? Which one would it be? Any game you could be courtside to games in the past, any pass game. MJ era, Cobe era early Brian Dathan Davidson, M.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Any game I could be, it will have to be Jordan bro It will have to be I think the game versus Utah Flu game, the Flu.
Speaker 5: Game and that one All sixty three in Boston. They lost that game, rookie year right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the reason why I say MJ because and it hurts me bro that I didn't get to meet Kobe bro Like, and he invited me to his little Top twenty of young up and coming players before he passed to come to his camp.
Speaker 2: That was when the first time I met him.
Speaker 4: Because he retired when I got to the league twenty sixteen, and that really hurt me, bro Like, you know what I mean, his mentality, the way he carried himself.
Speaker 2: The way he played the game, like different. That was somebody that because I'm not big or I want to meet people like you know what I mean. If I meet you, I meet you.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And I respect my elders, Bro, So you don't got to be best player in the world. You could be on the side of the road, my elder. You feel me, I'm gonna respect you. But it's like Kobe was somebody that, like I had to meet Bro, you know what I mean. So like knowing what happened like that hurts me, you feel me. But I got to see Kobe play. I got to see Bron play. I'm playing against Broun now, MJ. I didn't get to see playing. So it's like all you hear is the old heads. They're like, Bron your number one man, you tripping, you tripping, and they say it passionate though you feel me, And it's like I wanted to see it in person.
Speaker 2: And that's why I said that game.
Speaker 5: You should have seen us. When we was going to interview Kobe, we were like two kids going.
Speaker 1: That was my teammates, Like we was teammates.
Speaker 3: I've seen him all the time, but it was still just that aura about him and the way he carried himself, in the way you felt like you learned something when you're just having a regular conversation with him. I mean, he sat us in his office before we start the interviewing. You know, I don't want to be known for my last twenty years. I'm like, nigga, you cold what you mean. It's like, now, I want to be known for what I'm about to do and look at this when I'm writing this book and no, no, no. So it's just that mentality. Just he applied it to all aspects of his life. So it was it was special to see.
Speaker 5: That was my classmate and I was in awe every time I talked to him and seeing him, I was just like like, this is this nigga real?
Speaker 1: His nigga real?
Speaker 4: So I get it, man, And I think that's what's crazy though, Like knowing like you just said, bro, like youkvid like you can't right you feel me? But to know that like he didn't get to do like we give our all the basketball, especially him, like everything he gave his all.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: He was away from his family more than you know what I mean. Like, so to see him to start branching the you know, being with his daughters.
Speaker 1: You know, she want to.
Speaker 2: Hoop for real.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm about to coach you like and like you just said, doing other things like in the fact he didn't get to do that, Like that's the type of stuff that that that messed with me.
Speaker 3: Rest in peace, man, five dinner against that are.
Speaker 4: Alive five dinner guess huh uhh Like I said, brown't really caring to meet people.
Speaker 1: But h jay z.
Speaker 5: M J.
Speaker 1: Uh should you gotta put cobD on there? Kobe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Kobe hm already have one bron so he can't go and he can't come to this one. He can't come to this one. Uh well, I say that, said jay z m J. Kobe Ai, I'm tripping Ai.
Speaker 1: You get a chance to meet him.
Speaker 2: I met him three times.
Speaker 5: Put put put somebody in your list for your fifth that's somebody that you admire that's dead and gone, that you would like to get to know, that I get to know.
Speaker 2: Uh mm hmm. Yeah, that's a tough one. There's so many people, bro, that's a tough one. Mm hm.
Speaker 1: Oh No, that one had always said for me.
Speaker 5: I don't want to meet Marcus Garvin because of what he was. You know what I'm saying. He was one of the first black men to start teaching financial literacy, financial financial literacy and teach people how to get bank accounts and involved with banks and try to get black people to start their own banks and stuff like that. So that's somebody, That's what I mean. I'll give you an example of somebody like that. I've always wanted to meet. Marcus Garby.
Speaker 4: I think it's starting to obviously young Gage like always wondering, like, bro, why is there Martin Luther King everywhere in every hood, like every you know, like black area. Like, so I'll probably say Martin Luther King. And I'm not saying that because the MLK days here. But when I say, it's a lot of people that I could have put in that fist, it was a lot of people because even though it's four like those people I want to learn from, admire, learn from, you know what I'm saying, good bad, But just to take it away from sports Martin Luther King, just to understand that, you know, his message, he can't go wrong with that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I say, yeah, they definitely went wrong with that new statue we got in Boston. I just see it. It's crazy over.
Speaker 5: If you can see one guessarry out, if you can have one guest on All the Smoke, who would it be? But before you answer, you have to help us get your answer.
Speaker 1: On the show. So gotta be someone you talked to, like a Quai Brandon Roy like just whoever you want to see on the shore.
Speaker 2: You got to the yah Yah, y'all had the more yet Yeah, say, brother, that might be doing. He don't rock with a lot of NBA players. He ain't the NBA player to you. That's my brother.
Speaker 1: I love like that.
Speaker 2: Wasn't everybody swearter God.
Speaker 1: We don't work.
Speaker 4: I don't want to hang out, work out nobody, No disrespect to you.
Speaker 6: It's all love my brother. Okay, y'all had him. Uh man, we're waiting on the calr.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get the calck.
Speaker 1: Me and you both can work on that. Now.
Speaker 4: We're getting the club we get now that's done deal. We're gonna work on the car as soon as we're done today.
Speaker 1: I'm calling them, Yeah we need it.
Speaker 4: I ain't rocking with your calus All the Smoke, Dad, because I don't do a I don't do interviews. When they said y'all call You know, y'all, you know what I'm saying, and you know it's love. Like even so like I want y'all to know, like I appreciate y'all what you stand for. You feel me a message y'all putting out.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like y'all trying to make a change, bro, But y'all doing it the authentic way.
Speaker 4: Ain't nothing fake about it. I watch everyone, appreciate everyone what I'm saying the legendary Bro.
Speaker 1: You've been told me that though you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I watch everyone, But I appreciate your time from a standpoint of obviously during season, during season first and foremost, but just getting this in.
Speaker 1: Like you said, you don't talk to very many people.
Speaker 3: So for your fans, for our fans to get an in depth understanding of who you are as a man, like fuck the basketball side, like we get to see you every night, We're blessed see you every night, but to see your morals, your principles, your values, what you stand for, how important family is, how important being a father is. Like that kind of shit is dope to me because we wouldn't get that conversation.
Speaker 1: We went to dinner.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Like we got to get in depth and dig into it. So again, man, we appreciate your time. Like Jack said, especially during the season. We got some shit for you over here. We got some merch for you.
Speaker 2: All merch, Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: All the Smoke Dot Store.
Speaker 5: And if you want to look as fresh as us guys up here on.
Speaker 1: The stage, you have to go to All the Smoke Dot Store and get your gear. All the Smoke that.
Speaker 3: Store, man, dejontey Man, we appreciate you. That's a wrap, de Jontay Murray.
Speaker 1: All the Smoke.
Speaker 3: You can catch us on Showtime Basketball, YouTube and the iHeart platform like effects.
Speaker 1: All the Smoke that Store, bitch. We'll see y'all like yes,