Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me, Tommy Di Dario. I hope you had an absolutely beautiful New Year celebration. It's twenty twenty five. Let's go twenty twenty five. We are ready for you, and I am so excited to kick off the year with probably one of my all time favorite people in the world, my dear friend, the iconic Rachel Ray. Rachel is, of course a brilliant cook, a television personality who has done more shows than I can even list. She's a badass businesswoman, a best selling author, she's a brand new podcast host. I mean, I can go on and on, because what hasn't she done? So I met Rachel through her syndicated daily daytime talk show, The Rachel Ray Show, which was on for an incredible seventeen seasons. That's an accomplishment achieved by very few people in the business. I'm telling you, it's so rare, and I'm so proud of her for it, and her magnetism is why that show continued to go on and on. I joined her show for the last seven or so years of its run, and I was one of her main lifestyle contributors, which was amazing, and I quickly fell in love with this amazing human. Rachel's not only a dear friend, but also an incredible mentor. And to have the opportunity to sit in front of her and turn the tables on a woman who meets so much to me personally and professionally, ah man, it was a full circle moment. It truly was a treat. I'm still smiling like a dork thinking about it. And the nuggets of wisdom that she throws down, they're going to inspire you to make the most of your entire next year. So let's see if today we can get Rachel to say something that she has never said before. Rachel Ray, my friend, it is so good to see you. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm great. I'm in Tuscany. How bad could it be? Right?
Speaker 1: I don't think that at all.
Speaker 2: Getting ready for the next run of The Living Kitchen Tuscany. We did all of the holiday shows in the Living Kitchen upstate. I just also finished shows for so many of our talents that we produce with Free Food Studios. I work on my own podcast as well, which you should do because you're definitely someone who exemplifies I'll sleep when I'm dead, so.
Speaker 3: I'm living the life.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm having a good time.
Speaker 2: We've had four Christmases so far oo NN's family, my family, and two kind of friends family. Christmas is here, and we have another one on January first, and I think one more after that, so we're going to have five different Christmas holiday celebrations in all.
Speaker 3: So we're busy.
Speaker 2: We're busy, and I've been writing for eight hours today, sixteen new shows for this next run here in Tuscany.
Speaker 3: So busy, How are you, my friend?
Speaker 1: I am fantastic busy. You and I are cut from the same cloth. We like busy, we like working. I I know it. I'm not surprised that all to hear you have all these things going on, and we're going to dive into your whole beautiful new chapter that you're in. But I really wanted you to be one of my first guests for my twenty twenty five you know season, because you know, I love you. I think you're such a badass business woman and friend.
Speaker 3: And you wonderful producer. By the way.
Speaker 2: I don't think people understood just how in charge you were over your content on our daytime show over many years. But you brought us such beautiful stories and really worked extremely hard. I have such respect for you, and thank you, my friend, for all the work you gave us over the years on that show. And I hope that our professional relationship and personal relationship carries on for many many years to come.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, me too, Me too. And that means a lot. And like I said, I just so admire you as a professional and as a human. It was a no brainer to have you on to kick off this new year of shows. And I can't believe it. I was thinking, I think the last time I saw you, because life is so crazy and goes in a million different directions, was when we wrap the show, which we need to change because that's not okay, this it is.
Speaker 2: I have like so many shows now, I can't sleep ever before o'clock in the morning, and I fall asleep still working on what I have to type for the next day or do for the next day.
Speaker 3: So I'm good, We're good. I have a lot of work. Believe me, I'm busy.
Speaker 1: No, I know you are, But I'm saying I want to see you because that's the last time I saw you.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you can come upstate and you can come to Italy. You know, we're here, and we're there, and we're in New York. We're all over the place. You can catch us pretty much anywhere on the planet.
Speaker 1: Good, Yeah, good, I'm gonna take you up.
Speaker 2: You a little Santa action, you know, get yourself on a sleigh.
Speaker 1: Gladly. I will gladly do that. Rich. I know you've done so many interviews or the course of your career. I think a lot of people who follow you and follow me they know your story pretty well through reading your books and through watching you on your show. So I'm really interested in this beautiful new chapter you're in. And as I just said, you know, the last time you and I actually physically saw each other was when we were wrapping your show, and for everybody listening, I was on it for the last six or seven seasons, and that's how Rachel and I met and began this beautiful friendship. I am a very sentimental, emotional man. I don't know if it's because I'm Italian or from Jersey. I don't know what it is. But when there's so many different life, you know, momentous moments that come and go, I get very, very sappy and emotional, and I'm curious for someone like you who always has something going on, who's always working on the next thing was wrapping your show, which you did for seventeen seasons, which by the way, is not the norm. That is an incredible accomplishment for everybody listening. Very few people have long running shows like that. It is a rarity, and I don't know if anyone else is going to be able to achieve that in this day and age. When you hung up that kind of talk show hot, what was that like for you? Like, were you ready? Did you have a grieving process?
Speaker 3: No, not at all, not at all.
Speaker 2: I've been working for over thirty years in television and I never grieve anything.
Speaker 3: I look forward. I am a forward thinking person. I have never.
Speaker 2: Been a person to look back. And I don't grieve anything because I don't lose anyone. I talk to everybody. I text with all my producers. I send them holiday presents for Hanukah and Christmas.
Speaker 3: I know what Emily's up to and what Goldie's.
Speaker 2: Doing, and everybody in my life stays in my life. I don't grieve anything because I'm not burying anything. Yeah, And that's what I mean when I say I'll sleep when I'm dead. I always look forward. I don't look back because there's no point in it. And I may made the decision to move on to other things so that I could do more things with more people. What I really wanted to explore was how to produce people that I do not think were properly represented on or in television. In my lane, you know, it's all kind of food related and health related, But I didn't feel that so many people that I really respect their work and their work ethics and the information they have to share and the fun that they can bring to people. I didn't think there was anybody that was filling that Niche farmer Lee Jones and all of his chef friends that go to the Culinary Vegetable Institute, and he gets so excited about standing in his garden and telling you about seasonal vegetables. Sometimes I worry he's going to pass out literally in the middle of the field. And he goes inside with the world's greatest chefs and they cook the seasonal ingredients that he's been all giggly about. I call him Giggles, by the way, because he gets so goofy about vegetables and then you have deb who does a soul food mash up with all of the cuisine from around the world that she learned in her decades as a.
Speaker 3: Flight attendant. And then she.
Speaker 2: Got kind of kicked out of that club and she said, I'm going to put myself through culinary school and people told her no, and she said, oh no, you don't, I'm doing this, and she has cookbooks and restaurants.
Speaker 3: It's just the coolest thing in the world. She's a mashup.
Speaker 2: We have Jake Jewish is one of my favorite books, like in history. It's hilarious and fantastic. We produce him as well. We're adding in some content next year that's very exciting. With a couple of in the health space, let's just say. And of course I have Anna Gas who is our resident Italian, and she does great history of Italian food, but like.
Speaker 3: Really gets into the nitty gritty of what.
Speaker 2: It's like to be an Italian and live like an Italian, cook like an Italian. And then I have the Living Kitchen Upstate, and I have the Living Kitchen in Tuscany. So we've got a little something for everybody and that makes me really happy. And our partners are truly our partners. A ETN, FYI, Hulu, and Disney are our partners, and they're literally our partners. Like Free food studios, me and my buddies, we are their partners, and content are pics to each other.
Speaker 3: And I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that sense that we're all sitting at a big table together.
Speaker 3: That's what I think should be. And we don't fake anything.
Speaker 2: We don't like open a door four times or you know, start a scene over and over and over again. We make content that I truly believe in because it's the real deal. We don't work with a lot of script or sculpted stuff in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: We're kind of a.
Speaker 2: Freestyle, let's just say so. The shows are always surprising to us too. As we go through and edit them and air them. We're always like, huh, that happened. It's fun.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 2: I love the adventure of life, and I really do believe you should sleep when you're dead. Anytime you open your eyes, whether it's in the middle of the night or the first thing in the morning, you should be grateful for it and start working. Move your brain, move your fingers, move your hand, move your bodies.
Speaker 3: Of course, you know, I work very hard, but I.
Speaker 2: Love having my brain come alive and I'm so grateful for every day that I get blessed with that opportunity.
Speaker 3: I just it.
Speaker 2: It makes me super super happy. Nothing makes me happier than work. And what I love about be pretty happy.
Speaker 1: But and what I love about this this new chapter you're in is you're doing things that it seems like you've wanted to do for a while, right, Like you're developing people that you find so interesting and that you just think deserve a platform, and I think.
Speaker 3: They don't have one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love I love finding someone that can represent people that I know. And I think, Wow, you know my friends so and so and so and so and so and so. We're going to be so excited to get to know this person. And my friends that are obsessed with baking sour dough bread and growing gardens for years during COVID, Now they could see Farmer Lee and all of the great chefs that he knows, and they'll eat more vegetables because now they're watching all this great content from the world's greatest chefs on his show make these great dishes with vegetables like that makes me psyched, That makes me really excited and happy, and I love the work that I get to do with kids. I've been to Ukraine six times. I'm planning my seventh with my friend andri Fute. We're going to go soon into the new year, and I'm planning a kitchen with my friend and cobyin Uptown in New York City. I'm going to build out a children's teaching kitchen there and start like a vocational program at the center she's working on.
Speaker 3: So I have a lot going on, and I'm going.
Speaker 2: To see an old friend from my childhood a boys and Girls club also quick into the new year. And boys and Girls clubs have been a part of our giving program through our foundation for a very long time. Beth and Howard, you know, we are so deeply involved with North Shore Animal League America. So everything we're doing in life, all of our brand is supporting how we help people, children and animals.
Speaker 3: So that's going really great.
Speaker 2: We still have furniture and all of our home goods and all of that and that supports that work, and we have businesses that create and generate monies for our foundation, so we don't have to worry about asking people just give us a pile of cash. We could just sell stuff and say here's.
Speaker 3: How we generate that money.
Speaker 2: It's just all very very exciting this chapter of our lives, and I mean our because John, I wouldn't have any of this possible if it wasn't for my trusted friends and my beautiful, sweet husband who also happens to be a lawyer and a great musician. I'm a very good cook, by the way, so I couldn't have built any of this without him, and I love him desperately.
Speaker 1: Aside from nurturing and developing people that you know deserve to have that happen to you, you're doing so much giving back and you always have. People don't realize, and I mean many do, but many don't because you're not bragging about every single thing you do out there for so many people. And I know because we're friends, but you really do have one of the biggest hearts in the world. And I think it's so cool that there are people I know, Jake, and I think it's so cool that you're investing time and energy in people because I imagine there was a point in your career where you felt like somebody did that for you, right, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, many many. My dear dear mentor and very good friend Brooke Johnson.
Speaker 3: Was a whopperdoodle there.
Speaker 2: She's the one who told me I could work on cable and I could work in daytime, encouraged me always, has always given me terrific advice. Uh, and had my my my sales had had my back. Wonderful. But you know, my mom, my Grandpa. So many people in my life, and people like Jacques Papin Jose Andras people that I am. I'm weirded out to call them my friends, but they are and I love them so desperately and I've learned so much from them about how to live, how to be.
Speaker 3: I'm just overwhelmed. Michael J. Fox the most optimistic person maybe ever.
Speaker 2: Uh. Multiple Prayers Presidents that I've worked with, and first Ladies Hi.
Speaker 3: Mo, Hi, Michelle, and I just.
Speaker 2: I I am so, so so lucky because I got to meet all these people that I just got to absorb everything I learned from them and try and incorporate that into something I can do with my life or my brand or my work. Moving forward. And that's the great part about always moving forward, because you can take any inspiration you get from a meal, from a person, from a leader, from all these different angles, and you can pour that like my husband making a cocktail or something and pouring it through a strainer.
Speaker 3: You can distill that. Uh. I also have my own.
Speaker 2: Gin which I received yet and my friend Brian makes that in Upstate, New York with all of my favorite ingredients, and we worked on it a really long time together, and I couldn't love him more either. But so we learn more about that world too all the time, and how we really craft specialty spirits or special types of food or special ingredients. It's just so exciting. Life is exciting. I never look back, I always look forward. Well, I love really long answer to your question, No, and I love.
Speaker 1: I love that zest for life. I mean, I wake up every day and I'm not really religious, but I'm very spiritual, and I say out loud, like what I'm grateful for if I'm walking to the gym, if I'm walking to the subway, I just kind of do it, you know, either in my mind or softly to myself. And I always say, I feel so lucky to be here, like to be chosen to be on this earth, because I do have this zest for life, and I think it's what we make it. And I think we have one life to live. Let's fucking make it awesome, right, So.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, brother, I just.
Speaker 1: I'm so good.
Speaker 2: The same prayer I've said every night for decades my mommy wrote and through circumstance, she unfortunately left the Catholic Church eventually, but my mama gave us a prayer to say, and I say it to this day. Good Night, Dear God.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: Dear God, Please givet me the knowledge and the courage to help myself, to help others and to do good. God pless help protect and forgive us. It's simple, it's clean, it's in and out, and it just says, make me useful today, universe, let me be of some help to someone, and let me be more decent than I was yesterday. Let me learn something with my day today. And so that's my go to thought.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, that's so my vibe. I love that so much. I think that for you. One of the reasons why I'm so drawn to you as a human is because I feel like you worked and continue to work in an industry that over the years you had to fight to earn your place, and you had to fight to say, look at me, I deserve to be here. It's a male dominated world sometimes we live in especially then, or at least the men like to think so. And you made it happen. And I was raised by pretty much women. I love women. Shocking in my gay man that loves women, but I love women, and I in my interviews one of the biggest things I get, you know, was a question from people is, oh, is you know Anne Hathaway or Meryl Streep, Like are they really nice? Because we heard they could be so tough. And I'm like, you, guys, why tough? Why because there's a successful woman in business, like it drives me crazy. Do you feel like you ever had to deal with that?
Speaker 2: And my ladies, I've always said the opposite of that. Yeah, I've been asked a million times. Do you feel like men in your industry, like Emerald or Bobby?
Speaker 3: You know, we're given more than you.
Speaker 2: Anytime I earned less money than a man in my same business, it was because I asked to, because I wanted more money for the studio or the staff, or putting more people in the back kitchen or onto the production staff. I those were my choices. I made those choices. I think I've been treated very fairly by men and women most all of my adult life, and people that didn't care for me or my work. No one says everybody is going to like you on the playground.
Speaker 3: I've said this for decades. That's grow up like.
Speaker 2: Not everyone will dig what you dig or the way you teach or the way you think.
Speaker 3: And that's fine.
Speaker 2: There is more than enough room in this world for everyone to do exactly what they want to do, and you don't have to be mean to other people to accomplish it. In my opinion, so I'm not I go with like the Bambi, you know, Thumper's mom kind of thing. If you don't have something nice to say about someone, shut up, don't say.
Speaker 3: Anything at all.
Speaker 2: And I really feel that I've been treated very very fairly. Look, I'm a waitress from upstate New York who ended up with this amazing life. I'm sitting in my husband's studio in Tuscany, you know, in my beautiful home that I decorated, and I doodled on a piece of paper. I am grateful and nothing but nothing, but I have a dream life because I worked hard, and I move forward, and I don't complain about anything. I really don't, And I don't complain about the way anybody treated me. Ever, I really don't every bad thing that ever happened to me. I wouldn't change one brick or one stitch of my life, not one brick, not one stitch, because everything could be the thread you pull that makes your sweater fall apart or the blanket rip apart. You need all of who and what you are period.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yes, yes, yes, yes, Well I think that's also inspiring because a lot of people who are listening they want a long career, and not many people can say they've had longevity like you have. It's a very difficult thing to achieve, it really is, and a lot of people want that, especially the younger generations. But now there's this world that we live in with such toxic social media, and yes there's many benefits to it, but there's a lot of gross mean chatter all over the internet, and people are always being inundated with opinions. So you've always been someone to let that roll off your back, like you don't pay attention.
Speaker 3: They don't pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have the life you choose. Everybody does. We have free will. Everyone can pick the life they choose. They can pay attention to them, or they can pay attention to minding their own life and making their own choices. Your choices shouldn't be based on other people's opinions of what you look like, or what you did yesterday or what you're doing tomorrow. It should be about what you want and need. And also, you know, you have to set realistic expectations. You can't say I want to be doing this for thirty years. No one knows if they're going to get thirty years of anything in a career. You can't say I want this amount of money. I truly have never been a person that has ever worked for money in my whole life.
Speaker 3: Money isn't what matters.
Speaker 2: What matters is your integrity and whether or not you actually love what you do. If you're not afraid of who you already are or where you've come from, you can't be afraid of anything moving forward, because the worst that can happen is you go back to who you were yesterday, And so what, As long as you have peace with that, you're good and you're groovy and everything's going to be fun. You have to be a little bit fearless. But in the other way, you can't expect and be fearless about the future because you don't know what's going to happen. You have to be strong enough to say, if I try this and I lose, worst that could happen, I go back to me yesterday. So what that was, Okay, I survived. And that's the way I think about it. I think about it kind of the opposite of the way I probably most people think about it.
Speaker 1: So you've always had that mentality.
Speaker 3: Always because that's the way I was raised.
Speaker 2: My grandfather was my best friend, and my no No was my nanny. Really he was my babysitter and raised me when I was a little baby, and my mom was his first born, so she was always his number one in the kitchen and always by his side, and they were very, very extremely close. They're they're very much connected. And I lived my life basically the same way I did when I.
Speaker 3: Was baby two, three, four, five years old.
Speaker 2: This is when I learned who I would become, and I've always been the same.
Speaker 1: God. It's so it's so cool hearing that from someone like you, because I think a lot of people sometimes romanticize the journey of falling into a spiral in their lives and having to overcome such you know, hardships in their line of work in terms of Oh, I didn't feel like I was worthy, or I didn't feel like I should be chosen, or I felt like the world kind of was against me. And you've always had this mentality of like, I'm gonna work hard, I deserve to be here. I'm gonna tune out the noise, let's go.
Speaker 2: I love to work, and I come from a long line of people that love to work. Like my grandpa would work eighty or more hours a week, go home and sing to his children in the middle of the night and cook all night and have the food ready for them when they would get out of school the next day. My mama worked one hundred hours a week. It would sleep in a booth at Howard Johnson's, you know, after twelve buses of Canadian skiers and stuff.
Speaker 3: I just I like to be around people that like to work.
Speaker 2: It makes me feel it makes me feel period, and I think that's why I love working in Ukraine and working with kids. I feel like my life actually matters when I'm with people that work hard, fight hard, try hard at everything, and are still happy, Like they find a way to smile and hug each other and share food and love one another. Beautiful thing to watch and feel and absorb. It changes everything to be in that climate. From the time I was a kid to now my mid fifties, it is the most significant thing in my life. Even on our honeymoon when we were in Africa. You know, you're in communities where some of the community works at resorts and in town and stuff, and they bring back their money and they give it to everybody so all the children can have school books in a school uniform. It's just these beautiful situations that I've seen all of my adult life now because I was trained that way as a child.
Speaker 3: I really.
Speaker 2: There's nothing I'm more grateful for in my whole life than the way I was raised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd set you up for this entire life journey that you were on, and it's so beautiful. I think that's really cool. And it's evident you hold your life so close, which I think is a secret sauce recipe in life. It's not forgetting those people along the way right, holding them near and.
Speaker 2: Dear, No, I talked to it, as I said, I talked to most everyone that I've worked with over the last couple of decades often and text and send Christmas boxes and Hanukkah gifts, and you know, they're a part of my family.
Speaker 3: And I feel that your family can grow every year.
Speaker 2: It depends on you, know, if you can grinch out and make your heart tend sizes too big or not.
Speaker 3: You know, you just got to make room for more and more people.
Speaker 1: So is there a way over the last few years, you know, so much has changed in your life, You're developing so many new projects, You're in a new chapter of your entire life and career. Is there a way that you can pinpoint that you think you've changed? Or does change not really happen for you so much because you've kind of maintained that consistent girl that you've been your whole life.
Speaker 3: No, I think that we can always change, and I strive to.
Speaker 2: I get lazy at it. Though I've been studying Italian for like a decade. I shouldn't be there. I should be done. My husband studies it now too, and I'm so happy for him because I think he's up to like one hundred and forty eight days.
Speaker 3: Of due lingo in a row or something.
Speaker 2: Wow. I do these lessons from my friend Lorenzo Mararia, and they are really tough. He's a toughie and I work so hard on him, and then if I see mistakes, he sends back the corrections. You know, I get so broken hearted him. I let him down. But I'm always trying to learn something new. And I love to draw, I love to read, I love to write. And I was just making notes today on not only the shows that I'm trying to accomplish right now, but on books I want to do. I want to do a foodles book because I love drawing foodles.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I draw the pictures of a recipe and then I write the recipe and I put them in the Christmas boxes at the holidays, as you know. So I want to do a book of foodles for kids. I wanted the Living Kitchen Upstate and the Living Kitchen Tuscany. I want to do some back writing about what I love about the places we live and why, and do a couple more cookbooks along the way.
Speaker 3: That'll be thirty one and thirty two. I think I don't know a lot.
Speaker 2: But I love that feeling of a little bit of excitement mixed with a little bit of pressure. When am I going to get to this one? And when am I going to get to that one? You know, it makes me happy.
Speaker 1: There's not many things you haven't done, and this just popped into my mind. Would you ever do anything or do you have any interest in the scripted world?
Speaker 2: I've thought about it over the years. I'm Mary Juliani. Always wants me to do something scripted with her. She's a little my little firecracker, that one.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 2: You know, I.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't say no, but it's not like top of my list.
Speaker 2: But please feel free if you'd like to put me in something stripped me.
Speaker 1: A shout because like, what can't you do at this point?
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, I don't know it's fun, But I friend, I have such an annoying voice.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked still have a job.
Speaker 1: Oh please please? Well that voice is all over the podcast world now, which I love. I am a very tough podcast critic listener. I love your show. I love your show. It's like you were born to do it. For you, like, what made you want to do a podcasts? It's a very different medium for.
Speaker 2: You, because I believe in the concert that life is so beautiful if you wake up in a positive frame of mind and want to accomplish something with each and every day that you open your eyes. And I'm fascinated by people, all types of folks, like I had Rebecca Divine on. She was one of the last ones I just taped in the last few weeks. And this is a woman who was told she had six months to live and that was like over seven years ago.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 2: I find so much joy in learning about people that beat every odd that you can think of, and people that find ways to make things work when they shouldn't, or when things when they've been kicked down a lot and they popped right back up like a cork.
Speaker 3: I love stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It makes me super happy, and I just love diving more into that than you can do in five minutes on a chat show. You know you have very limited time, and they're always trying to rush you through different segments. I don't want to rush through everything in life. I want to let people tell their whole story, not just four minutes of their story.
Speaker 3: I want to hear as much of it as possible.
Speaker 2: So that was what excited me about going a little bit down that road, is, Hey, let's listen to a longer format of people that I truly respect and really value, and what can we learn from each other from one another, and let's just share that with as many people as possible.
Speaker 3: That's why I got into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I imagine, knowing you as well as I do, you're some with so much heart and curiosity, and when you're talking about something, you're really talking about it. You don't like fluff. You're not a fluff person. So I imagine, you know, like you said, the talk show so fast and it's so small and condensed, and your little blocks here and there, I imagine that wasn't probably as fulfilling as something like a podcast or like this. And I feel that way in some of my work too, you know.
Speaker 2: As you can expand you can expand on things, you know, like when I'm on with someone like Harlan Coben, my my dear, dear friend, and I respect and love his work so much, obsessed, but I can really chat with him because I trust him and we are truly friends. So I can have that real time and share that with people in a way that I know, hey, I know, talk about this and less about that, and let's have some fun. Let's get in there and show people a little bit a broader side of someone like that because I know them a little bit better. I also love to have on people that I've just met, like Rebecca, who we were just at a retreat together, a health retreat together, and that's how I met her, and I just said, I'm obsessed with you. She has her own brilliant podcast, Brainy Bond, and she is gorgeous, beautiful woman, smart, funny and has learned so much about how to stay alive. Quite frankly, the mom of four, by the way, looks like bounce a quarter off of her.
Speaker 3: She's so fit.
Speaker 2: And I just find bringing someone like that into the bright spotlight for anybody that might be listening, could change their life, you know, if they're battling cancer, if they're scared to go to the doctor to even find out if they have cancer, get screened, and then to hear a story like that, I could literally save a life that day. I love that too. So there's the here's the new, Here's this someone I love and being able to talk to that those two types of people and share that information with as many people as we listen.
Speaker 3: That's cool, that's really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that fuels my No, you're doing it, it fuels my soul. And that's why I started this show, right, Like, I love the work I get to do with extra on the carpets, and it's fun and it's the thing. But you get three minutes with someone, it's not real conversation. And I was craving more of that connection. And I often saw people I was interviewing wanted to have a substantial conversation, but you just can't in those formats.
Speaker 3: Wait, it's formatted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And that's how this show was born. So I always ask this question in every episode of the show based off the title of this show, which for you, I imagine might be a difficult one to answer. But the name of the show is called I've never said this before, And that was born from having real moments because I was tired of the fake I was tired of the clickbait. I was tired of the headlines. I wanted real moments and to give people the space to say something whatever that question means to them that they maybe haven't had the chance to talk about in a two minute or six minute interview before.
Speaker 3: Being someone there's anything left time.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like being someone that's talked for decades now. I don't know, But is there anything you can think of that you maybe don't always get the chance to say whatever that means to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I've.
Speaker 2: Already kind of said it just in chatting with you, because I love you and trust you so much. But I've never wanted to be someone else ever. I have never said to myself I wish I were that person. And I have never allowed someone to break me in public or in an interview. I just won't have it. I just won't have it. If people try and take you down, it's not going to get you anywhere. You can go home and you can cry, or you can tell your husband, your lover, your dog how much that bothered you. But I just don't do anything like that ever in public. And the first time I saw my husband, I thought he was gay and I tried to set him up on a date with a male friend of mine and he said, but I'm not gay, and then I was like check please, And I could not wait to get him in the sack.
Speaker 1: That's my girl. That's my girl. That's my girl. I couldn't love you more. Wow. Well it was a very memorable evening.
Speaker 3: It was, and he is a blessed man.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yes, this is not stuff we were talking about on your talk show. I am here for it. Somewhere John is smiling with like a cocktail and hands, saying that.
Speaker 2: I had to buy two different sized suits for his wedding from Prada.
Speaker 3: His jacket was one size, his trow is another.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Rachel Ray, Yeah, I am here for this chapter of your life. And I hope you still are enjoying this chapter of your life if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I certainly am. I'm a very lucky lady.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I kind of love you more as we wrap up the show coming from you, I think this is a really cool answer to get. So I would love to know. How do you define success?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: That is so different than everybody else. It has nothing to do with money. Did you do your best today? Did you work as hard as you could? And did you share? Did you make food for people that were hungry, that are standing in the same room or the same house with you? How much did you give? How much did you give is always how I define the success of my day one hundred percent. How much did I give to my dog, to my friends, to my neighbors, to my husband, to my family. What did I do today that allowed me to share with people is the most important element of every day of my life.
Speaker 1: God, that's beautiful. Wow, the truth. I'm letting that sink in for a minute. That's truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. Thank you for hanging out. I don't know if I've ever fully expressed to you over the years how much you changed my life. From being on your show, I mean, and getting to know you and giving me a chance and giving me a shot and inviting me back and becoming a regular in your family, it really put me on the path, brought me to where I am today. And you were a person you were You were a person who.
Speaker 2: Bring me, A talented person who sees people, who really sees people and their their whole self, And you brought us so many beautiful shared moments with very very special people. You are truly truly gifted, talented, loving, sweet person.
Speaker 3: I adore you. I always have and you know that.
Speaker 1: I met you it was it was a pretty instant chemistry. Absolutely, John, You're lucky I'm gay, because i'd be I'd be sliding right into Rachel's d MS and trying to pick her up. So you're lucky. You're lucky. Although from what I heard, you don't have to worry about anything. You're very gifted, I've heard.
Speaker 3: I love you, Tommy, and I have such respect for you.
Speaker 2: And I hope, I hope you do my podcast and that I can do yours again anytime you like.
Speaker 3: I just of sharing time with you. You know that.
Speaker 1: Oh, I feel the same way. I love you guys. Thank you for hanging out, and we might pop up upstate or in Italy. Do you well eat your whole kitchen out, so be warned.
Speaker 2: All right, but I put you to work. You can't just come and eat for free. You gotta put a little bit. You gotta put a little bit of those muscles into it too.
Speaker 1: All right. I got you, I got you. Oh, here's Jill popping it from GMA. Say hello, beautiful face. Oh here we go now I.
Speaker 3: Hear you, Hi, Love. How are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: John? You guys we have to get all together at the same time.
Speaker 3: Please come to Italy. Yes, wherever you want. Wherever we are, You're always invited.
Speaker 1: Italy, You're upsafe. The magic is where you are.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: I love you guys, Love you guys, Thank you for hanging out. Bye bye. I've Never Said This Before is hosted by Me Tommy Dedario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts. For more rate, review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time. I'm Tommy de Dario