Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode candad spoilerst for episodes three and four of Mall shadow Lord on Disney Plus. Hello, my name is Jasonconcept.
Speaker 2: That was kind of more yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's more like.
Speaker 2: Like it's like a oh yes, it's me Rosie. N Yeah, I was going and low.
Speaker 1: He's got like this weird like Quaver.
Speaker 3: He's definitely sounding old. He's got the Grandpa place.
Speaker 1: It's like a Vincent price, like a lower Vincent price. Anyway, my name is Jasonconcept and I'm Rosie Night again and welcome back to x Ravage of the podcast where we dive deep with your faverit Joe's movies. We're coming to reminding our podcast Where Will You three episodes.
Speaker 3: Plast News on Saturday is In today's episode, we are recapping episodes one O three and one four of Darth Maul shadow Lord, and we'll be bringing in super producer Joel to talk a little bit about who's in the crew, who are the characters, and where we're at four episodes into Dave Filoni's newest Star Wars animated series.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this. The first episode that we're discussing today, Mall shadow Lord one O three whispers in the unknown.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we are joining directly where we left off under the two moons of janex we see that Devon has escaped her rocky prison and rook Cast is searching for her, but she finds More in the tunnels.
Speaker 2: Instead, More finds her and says, so you're beginning to see things through a new perspective.
Speaker 3: And as the pair share some Cassio tea, a nice nod to the rad young reader's book The Clone Wars Death, More Shadow Conspiracy. And you've seen that tea come up many times since then if you read the extra texts. Mare tries to convince Devin that he has been misrepresented and that really he's.
Speaker 2: Just as confused as she is about her fate.
Speaker 3: Despite him reminding her and us of his tragic backstory, the betrayal of his master, the murder of his mother and brother.
Speaker 2: Devin is unmoved bro.
Speaker 3: She is like, absolutely not working on me, and she uses the force to take his double sided lightsaber into her own hands. But that feistiness is something more can work with. Back in the Exposition headquarters, I mean the police headquarters, two boots he's licking both of them, and Lawson are explaining Maul's connections to the galactic crime syndicates for those who haven't watched the Star Wars animated property before. While Lawson continues to be inexplicably bad at policing, Devon is wielding Maul's saber as he tries to tempt her towards the dark side. Rook Casts, jealousy over Maul's new would be apprentice, leads her to head out after the next Pike shipment alone. Two boots in his cop robots beat them there, but Casting her crew managed to escape, but they don't take the credits this time around, which hails many questions.
Speaker 2: Just in case you.
Speaker 3: Were worried that Lawson might miss his son's space sports game, a very important thing.
Speaker 2: I know he's worry about it.
Speaker 3: You were like, oh my godw could he not miss sports lacrosse?
Speaker 2: Like how could this happen in space?
Speaker 3: But no, he makes it his son Riley, which, by the way, guys, it's spelt Star Wars, so just so you think that.
Speaker 2: He's not too normal, it's r y L E E, which I think is so funny.
Speaker 3: But anyway, you know, Dad shows up and he's like, I'm here, don't worry, but then Devon's master Daky shows up and the pair talk about Devin's capture and Lawson inquires more after more, and ultimately he has to leave his son's sports game Ollie to deal with the failed heist.
Speaker 2: Why is this a plot point?
Speaker 3: Nobody knows, but Riley's very upset when he scores get it. It feels very heat to me.
Speaker 2: So you you know, you know the deal when you marry me, baby, you gotta share me with all the bad people in the world.
Speaker 1: It really is like al Pacino, I've gotta leave dinner thing and.
Speaker 2: Also heat, let's be real.
Speaker 3: He also as well he missed the heist right, which leans into the heat of it all because they didn't really see each other.
Speaker 2: So Maul speaks to.
Speaker 3: Devin deep under the the tunnels and he waxes lyrical on the danger of the inquisitors.
Speaker 2: The life that Devon will have to lead is.
Speaker 3: A sol like solo Jedi on the Rum post Order sixty six, though honestly we know there are a lot of them out there. She is unconvinced and makes another break for it. Lawson and two boots head to the scene of the crime. We also learned that the reason Lawson hates the Empire is because his wife was part of the Empire.
Speaker 2: So it's not that he's like moral he objected to them.
Speaker 3: He's just a divorced hater and he hates He's just like, oh not my wife, the fucking bitch like I Coromba. Also, you married someone who turned into a Nazi, so that's on usir, very confusing options there under the watchful eye of rook Cast and her crew. We then see that the little alien Varrio speaks to the leader of the Pikes on a hologram.
Speaker 1: Why is every criminal from New York?
Speaker 3: I feel like they're trying their best to be like less racist, but it's still coming across to me with the same problems as previous representations of scheming Star Wars characters.
Speaker 2: But yes he is.
Speaker 3: He's like, hey, hey, it's me. I'm gonna betray Duff Mare. You know, I'm gonna eat a hot dog or and Vario speaks to the leader of the Pikes and he's like, gonna, Clay, I'm gonna sell out more.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make it up to you.
Speaker 3: And obviously we pull back and we see that they're all watching and this is sort of a skit set up, and then very interestingly, one of the conversations that we've all had many times as fans they never imagine coming to light in this way.
Speaker 2: I think we.
Speaker 3: Get some interesting stuff in this episode about the notion of robots and their coding and and kind of agency, but it is through the lens of two Boots wanting to snitch to the Empire Tears is desperate to snitch is a I know, well, the two Boots is like a cowboy out here.
Speaker 1: With this and this is actually now, I guess we've seen stuff like this before in this in you know, C three po was always complaining about this and that and wanted to go his own way, and R two was also had was very very headstrong. But I don't think you've ever seen a droid go directly against what it's human collaborator intended and even said like do that.
Speaker 2: He's told him no man before.
Speaker 3: No. I mean, I would say, like obviously, there's a lot of conversation in the in the scene in the fandom of the fifty year old Fantom of Star Wars about how D two loved to keep a secret because he.
Speaker 2: Knew everything that happened. But other than that, you know, he was trying to do his best.
Speaker 3: Maybe his brain was wipe depending on the law, but like two boots basically just being like, bro, I need to report this to the Empire, like come on, and he's like, I just got a snitch to the Empire about Darth Maul.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is when.
Speaker 1: He keeps saying too like, I think he'll I think he'll appreciate it, like after I do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he'll come.
Speaker 1: He'll come around to it after I snitch on him.
Speaker 2: Crazy, crazy choice.
Speaker 3: Devin continues her like unofficial male training as they battle it out with this double edged now you know, split into two. It's a great action sequence. He is really sassin her up. He's like, you're one of the lost Jedis. To survive, you need to explore it, like you need to not be like the rest of the Jedis who died after all, to sixty six and honestly, it's already given abusive master student. I don't think he's gonna like break that pattern here.
Speaker 1: I think my note to mal First of all, you know, it's like the the the mentor mentee, whether it's a Jedi or the Sith and the way it relates to like grooming is a little alarming. That said, Mall, I think you're going I think it's too fast.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're talking himbout.
Speaker 1: The ideals you're telling like okay, that's you know, like that's fine. But now you've immediately you're immediately dueling like this is six hours in to meeting this person.
Speaker 3: Literally like coming in, I slow the role. You got to seduce a bit more, my guy, Like we have learned that. As Devin leaves that night at the end of the episode, it's clear that Maul expects her to return and continue their weird ass training.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I would not if I was her, Like, I understand that being a Jedi is annoying, but this guy is not really giving me much more than you know, Daki is giving me, unless you just have a thing for like sexy Daddy Moore, which I also I know there's a lot of you out there do and I respect that, so you know, sure, but.
Speaker 2: Otherwise I would not be returning for the training. But let's come back after.
Speaker 3: An ad break and you can listen to the rest of our recap of more Shadow Lord.
Speaker 1: And we're back Marl's Shadow Lord, Pride and Vengeance.
Speaker 3: Oh who Yes, this is chapter four, in my opinion, easily the best episode of the show.
Speaker 1: I think it goes.
Speaker 3: It elevates itself here and we start getting some really meaty mall stuff.
Speaker 2: But it begins with Varrio on New York AA. It's me.
Speaker 3: They couldn't afford Billy Crystal, but they wish they could have. Barrio continues his vision to be the most hated alien in all of the Middle Rim, taking credits to the Pike as Maule's scheme for revenge, while More comes out blazing. It seems like he's taken out by Varrio and his little stun gun and you're like, whoa, he betrayed him. I can't believe this with his tiny stun gun. Soon the Pikes have taken More captive, clearly thinking they have the upper hand. Unfortunately it's a trap within a trap. They got inceptioned as it was another Zabrac under the hood, one of the twin brothers that we'll talk about.
Speaker 1: One of the anonymous Zabracs who we have yet to learn about us.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Joelle is very excited about those twins, so she's gonna tell us about them later.
Speaker 2: It was Zabrak under the hood, and Moore was awaiting.
Speaker 3: Elsewhere in the shadows to kill his old ally, who we learn abandoned him after mandalor so now once more just kills this man, which he just does. He like, you're dead, sorry, and everyone else in the pike syndicates like, okay, cool, we're in your shadow collective now more so the Shadow Collective is beginning to shape up nicely for our red headed monster man.
Speaker 2: Devon and Daki reunite.
Speaker 3: I mean, god damn, there's like it's so funny, how bad the empire and just people, the cops in general that now exist are at just catching Jedi just like walking around. Devon and Daki reunite, and Devon is like, I want to stop more.
Speaker 2: And bring him to justice.
Speaker 3: Daki's like, I think, I just want to get revenge. So I guess such he's such a skull.
Speaker 2: He's not winning. He's not gonna get her to win.
Speaker 1: Liked looking like the most Jedi.
Speaker 2: He looks like a dinosaur Jedi.
Speaker 3: Like it's so inconspicuous, like my guy, I mean so conspicuous.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he he's like you are on.
Speaker 3: A quest for revenge. So that makes me think that the reason Devin knows more is because she knows somebody he killed, and we're gonna kind of get that somewhere further dealing line, because I feel like that's where it has to be going. Unfortunately, the only thing that too powerful Jedi can conceive of doing in this situation is go to the cops, which, again, guys, I just this is a lack of imagination for me on a storytelling level. That just doesn't make sense. Think about the things that Jedis have done before. You are just trying to investigate that. Yeah, like to Space, they're starting entire fake like missions where they're pretending to be Jedi, you know, people talk talking to delegates, but they're not really meant to be there, Like we saw that during the Clone Wars, like we've seen it so many.
Speaker 1: Missions, they would send two Jedis into an entire ship of enemies to both negotiated deal and fight their way out. And now you're like, well, we gotta call the cops, right.
Speaker 3: That's the problem when you add something that is so out of the world and the universe, you have to start changing the parameters and I think you can really feel that here.
Speaker 2: But yes, so the Jedi are like, we better go to the cops.
Speaker 3: So laws And heads over to the location that Daki and Devin sent him.
Speaker 2: And he turns off two Boots on the way.
Speaker 3: Very crazy thing to do, and it is like, because two Boots is very desperate to call the Empire, which we get, don't do that, but I feel like turning him off is not going to lead to the outcome that you want because you're taking away the agency he does have. And also it makes us in Joel's the pitch that she did when we watched the first episode, this kind of notion of like Lawson maybe being a dirty cop and he's hiding something, which I like and that this choice leans into it.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: I was honestly really hoping it would be that. Yeah, I watch it after the divorce revealed, it seems increasingly unlike the fact that it's not that, and that Lawson's only reason, apparently for not wanting the Empire involved, is that I guess like his ex wife might chill up.
Speaker 3: I like, bro, they're nat He's like, come on, okay. So luckily you know, Lawson and his crew of cop bots and cop cops because some real people die here too, and no. Two boots arrive at Darth Maul's very dark lair, and they instead find Barrio and a hologram of Maul, who tries to charm him with compliments and photorealism, revealing that the whole crew is actually waiting for the Renegade cop. Of course, the O G Space Cops, the Jedi, Devon, and Deckie are waiting in the Shadows.
Speaker 2: Lawson doesn't take Moore's.
Speaker 3: Off of protection in exchange for not calling the Empire, in which honestly sounds like a very good deal. Like I don't really get good deal? Why you wouldn't take it? Because, remember, guys, Lawson doesn't know who Mare is, has no idea about the Shadow Collective, doesn't really understand any of his history, so doesn't have a reason not to trust him or think he's evil. His biggest thing is he doesn't want the Jedi. I mean, he doesn't want the Empire to come. So this seems like a good deal for me.
Speaker 2: But fine. Moore finally meets Master Decie.
Speaker 3: Who thinks that more will take an offer to surrender pelacefully.
Speaker 2: Again the most old headed Jedi like.
Speaker 3: Come, Decie, go toward a sixty six to pastures, give up the lightsaber, give us this is time, retire, go to bed. Of course, More tries to play the Jedi's arrogance as the trio talk ideologies, and ultimately it leads to a pretty epic light saber battle between Moore and Devon and Deckie. As the saber battle continues, More becomes more frustrated, ultimately leading to Devon being able to save her master and More allowing them to live after both the Jedi and the Space Cops fail to pre apprehend him. Lawson finally somehow realizes Devon and Deckie are Jedi, which again, this man's job is a detective bro The first time he met Dekie, Deckie was holding up a bridge with.
Speaker 2: The holding a bridge turned around to him and was like, are you okay? But I guess he's.
Speaker 1: Wearing the classic hood of a wearing a Jedi robe.
Speaker 2: And he's been following you the whole the bridge.
Speaker 1: This man, I swear to God, somebody dated what is the clearance rate of crimes?
Speaker 3: On?
Speaker 1: This jenis like? Are we are we solving any crimes.
Speaker 3: No, this man does nothing apart them make sure the Empire does a come so he doesn't have to pay his child support like the slow like Lawson is just like, hey, you know what, you can leave. It's okay, I'm a cost, but you can just leave and don't worry about more. We didn't catch him, but you know, I guess the Empire is coming anyway because my boot lickor cop Bot two bots has been reactivated and has become what he always wanted to be a snitch for the Empire, who arrive in a Superstar Destroyer ominously as always, as the episode comes to an end, and we will be back after a break to bring in super producer Joel to talk about this episode, to talk about droids and agency versus.
Speaker 2: Programming, and to find out more about Darth Maure's mysterious product. I'm We're back.
Speaker 3: Welcome he Super Solos producer Joel.
Speaker 2: How's it going, Joe? How'd you fail off to these two episodes? Vindicated?
Speaker 1: We are back.
Speaker 4: We listen, Okay, I feel.
Speaker 2: Managing so far, so good?
Speaker 4: But before it is so good. I text you immediately after and I was like, this is what I've been waiting for I was wrong, I can admit it. I was really down on the first two episodes, maybe too harshly. I was having a bad week last week. But I feel much stronger about the direction of where we're going. Daddy Mal strapped back in. He's he's gonna make this lady a weapon, whether she wants to or not. He is absolutely out here kicking ass. I thought the a lot of the tensions were working a lot better for me.
Speaker 1: I think we get a little bit more of Rooke, which is great.
Speaker 4: Rooke, you know, it's kind of the only character we know from Maul series. She like has been here sort of in the background, making a lot of interesting choices over the time we've seen her with Mal, and so I'm hoping we get more of her down the line. I just think the show is in general moving in a really strong direction, and that gives me a lot of hope for the rest of the series.
Speaker 3: Okay, you spoke a little bit about rook cast, so can you let's talk about the Mall team, because we did have a kind of critique of that. They as much as this show has quite a lot of second screen style exposition for people who haven't watched the show and previous animated series. I do not feel like they necessarily did a good job of having that moment where Rook says.
Speaker 2: Chorus and Scorn go over there or something.
Speaker 3: You know. So, so could you talk a little bit about the team Joe up.
Speaker 4: So there's okay, So truly, there's not that many people we need to go over. I'll start with Rook cast This is his like lieutenant. She's the one that's been down to ride for a while. She first appears in Jeremy Barlow's Son of Dathamir, which is a four part comic book series. She's the former leader of the super Command. She joined mal after he beat pre Visla in combat, which is significant because a lot of Mandalorians were like, this guy is not Mandalorian. He can't lead us, and she was like, we're Mandalorians. We follow strength. So she's really like dedicated to those core tenants if you care. She wilds the leastar thirty five blaster pistols, two of them.
Speaker 1: She's a dual welthcap.
Speaker 4: She has been with Maul through a lot. So she freed Mall from sith imprisonment in the Spire when he almost got got she stayed fighting with him when he was against Grievous Sidius and Douku Holy Cow. Then later during the season of Mandalora, she helped capture Ahsoka, a Soka being Ahsoka escapes, but she was there and she did help capture her. And then later on she's captured by Bogatan, which is a really great kind of moment in the Clone War series, and then she fall during the fall of Dosimiir, she is there, which is I think one of Maul's most important moments. This is when he goes back to Dothanimir, Dooku is there. They're like, hey, we're gonna finally end this planet. We meet ghost mother Tolesan, who saves her son in a last ditch effort like force pushes him back onto his ship, which we're gonna get to that ship in a second. It's it's the end of every last connection mal has to his blood family, something I think he craves quite a bit. As we see throughout these last four episodes. What he wants is like allies, people who are faithful to him. He's looking to sort of fill the rule of two that he's been brainwashed and conditioned to think of.
Speaker 1: As like how you get through life.
Speaker 4: And I find it really really interesting that he has this very very deep connection to Rook. And I'm wondering if she's at all I don't think she's for sensitive, that would be wild, but like, does she feel like she can fill that rule too?
Speaker 3: Is she his?
Speaker 2: I feel like she feels like it.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's the most interesting flicked in this show so far is the notion of Rook's jealousy of Maul turning to Devn when she's like, well, what can she do?
Speaker 2: The I can't do? And the truth is, so far we haven't seen edything, you know, like to the thing. I know that's what Darth Maul wants.
Speaker 3: But like Rook is loyal, has weapons, like I understand from her perspective.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah no, because Rook has already proven her loyalty like four times over, like there's no doubting it.
Speaker 1: She's going to get all of her people.
Speaker 4: She was like, no, I don't care. I'm writing with this guy, so it is kind of well for him to be like, I can make this one. She's like, you don't have to make someone. I'm already here. Uh exact Rook is really interesting. I like Rook, and Rook is still kind of like leading the Mandalorians that have followed over with her, So she's in this really interesting position of sort of being stuck between two places like Mal's emotional like wherever his emotions are taking him, that's just where he's going, and the Andalorian code and guidebook and the way they've been led their whole lives. The other two characters I'm really really really interested in my god a Christ and Scorn. These are the dot the Murray brothers. They're making their first appearance in the Star Wars cannon right here. If we don't get more information on them in this show, I will die. I'll waste a way.
Speaker 2: Giving we need a book.
Speaker 1: I want to say one thing about this Yes, because I I love this episode. I thought it was great. The action is fantastic, the like all of that stuff, Like, there's some really interesting plot points. I think Two Boots is ongoing independence is really interesting with like implications for the you know, like the way we think about droids in general. But I do think that Dave Filoni has a tick that I'm not sure works in these shorter series, and that is he if we meet if we talk about Chris. If we get any character development from Charis and Scorn, I guarantee you to all be in one episode. Like he puts all the character beats for a character in a single episode and doesn't pace them out throughout a series, so that like you know, for instance, the rook cast Devin jealousy plot, that's really interesting, Like let's build on it. He'll give us a moment and then it's gone charism score and here's like here, you know, here in these episodes is a great opportunity to know who these guys are. First of all, we can't tell him apart, but like one of them plays a key role in this like bait and switch that Maul is doing, and we don't know like what kind of risk he's taking. We don't you know, we.
Speaker 5: Don't know what is that. And so you'd love if if and I love the action, but you'd love if there was these.
Speaker 1: Small character moments. Yeah, a line here and there where you get to hear guys speak and it feels like and this has been the case with the Clone Wars, but that made more sense because you're getting like twenty three episodes and it was you're bouncing around each episode. Yeah, and each episode like to the extent that there were arcs, there was of course, like an overarching, very long range, very loose arc, and then there'd be like these tighter two and three episode things from time to time, but mostly it was like these kind of standalone episodes that move generally in a direction. And I feel like that doesn't serve an eight episode series. It's a mix because it just feels like it feels like we're never gonna get to these characters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a mini series that was meant to center them all. I do still feel as much as I like these episodes, them all still doesn't feel like the center.
Speaker 1: He feels like he's.
Speaker 4: Sharing this story with other people. And I think in an eight part series for a character so deeply beloved, with a performer who's so deeply invested in getting this character right and pushing his story forward, it seems strange to me that you would not open with them all and b give us more of a and we get a little bit more here, but like more of a mental map of like where.
Speaker 1: Is he at?
Speaker 2: How is it day to day?
Speaker 4: This betrayal affecting him beyond him as being like I've been betrayed. We get it, bro, But like, what's what is deteriorating inside of you?
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 1: I a gret That's exactly. That's a great way to put it, because there is you mentioned his desire to assemble his family around him. We're guessing that because he's giving us very little giving, he's giving me very little of that. And I agree that I think that that is his motivation. But you just want it to be there more. I know, what do these people mean to you? What does guest meet you? What is achresm scored me to you?
Speaker 4: What does it mean to have these people are loyalty or do you comp.
Speaker 2: And how is that them?
Speaker 4: There's so much Okay, So I want to ask you guys. As a Star Wars fan, we have been all we have Star Wars fans essentially for life. Uh, We've been all over the place with fan theory, with most people loving Star Wars, to most people thinking Star Wars is just silly. To now we're sort of in this middle ground people like I like Star Wars. I'll check it out when it's around. Maybe you know, we're all over the place, But I do think we've had to infer a lot in the history, and like, is this just part of the fandom? Is this something that we should just accept as like part of the fandom is you have to infer and build and maybe one of its essential elements or support is like that. We do have so many we could tell further stories and video games. We could do it, in comics, we could do it in the novels. There's so many places to die if we decide to.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: That's part of what has made the fandom so you know long, and has thrived for so long, and also what kept it alive during.
Speaker 2: The down period, right, I think that's the big thing.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is Disney should not be relying on that to keep us going. When we're at a point where you can spend as much money as you want on it, and you're making flagship shows and you're planning movies. That side of the fandom should not be having to be tapped into. It's kind of the not having the scroll at the beginning of this episode, at the beginning of this series, right, you're like, well, the fans can infer. It's like no, but but you've got to.
Speaker 2: Tell us where we're at. And then we can expand out.
Speaker 3: I think I love the notion of that, but I think also it's almost like a new version of the homework issue where you're giving people pre homework, like you got to watch the show, and then you've got to do homework to make the show good because you need to know.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's a good way.
Speaker 1: I mean, whoach it? To your point, Rosie, it feels under this reading, which I don't know that I one hundred percent agree with as like a conscious strategy. But under this reading, isn't what we're saying, like kind of like the worst version of storytelling, like when LL says I have been betrayed but doesn't it but doesn't expound or does or doesn't like show don't tell, isn't what they're doing hoping that you'll go back and be like, well, where was mom betrayed and watched another show? Like, rather than make him a flesh and blood pained character experiencing pain in that moment in that scene, so that you so that you get some context for what happened beyond just like that it happens. Yeah, I agree, and I don't agree that it's I don't agree that it's a conscious strategy that they're doing it that way. Oh, here's where we build character and story, and there's where we just show action. Here's I just think it's maybe I just think it's a little bit of a lazy tick. That's all like these could That's where I'm at.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, I'm I'm actually honestly a little bit shocked. Not because the show isn't good, Like I do think that quality wise it's good. It's like I think that it's beautiful to look at. But I am a little bit shocked by the choices they're making because I think that with an eight you know, eight to ten episodes series like this is going to be ten episodes, right, we we have the potential even if you only want to have more for a couple of minutes in every episode because you're worried about overdoing him, right, I think you still have the potential for those moments to be huge reveals or huge emotional moments. I think just having him be like I have been betrayed, it's like, okay, we know that. Now the next time we get two minutes with more, we got to know how does that feel? We got to know why do you care, Like what we know, you were betrayed by the empire. That is the Sith story. That is kind of what we have come to expect, But like.
Speaker 2: How does it make you feel relationship city?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say in a series of betrayals, like if we look at Mall's history as he starts out to try to be a leader or free his people or whatever, like it is a constant, it's never and even his mother giving him uh to uh the Emperor is like the first betrayal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and so yeah, I think not to.
Speaker 4: Play armchair producer too much, but if we had just started this series with the moment of this last betrayal and a again, like I mentioned last week, a turn to see this is a new version of Mall, which is how we always start every Mall story, I think we could have forgiven a lot more if we had just seen what that moment was and what it meant to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm also going to say, like this is the number one thing that we always tell people like not to do in screenwriting or in common creation.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you do.
Speaker 3: You can just do an annoying like in media res And honestly, I think if they'd have thought it the episode.
Speaker 2: I think if they'd started the season with like.
Speaker 3: A lot of what's in episode four, they would have come out swinging a lot higher and a lot harder, because like getting to know more, getting to see the way that he seduces somebody in a different way, getting to see how he draws the lines between the Jedi and the Sith, something that fans have been doing for a long time. Being in that conversation that feels to me like the show this is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: But also we are.
Speaker 3: Almost half the season in YEP, and I just worry that the ironically they keep being like, it's not a homework show. You're gonna just know everything you need to know from watching the show, And ironically, I think that by going too hard in that direction, they've actually made the show quite hard to pass if you're not already a fan, and if you are a fan, you're left kind of asking a lot of things, like it's very clear that one of the main reasons, aside from probably pitching this is Heat Star Wars Heat, which I do truly believe now Jason, which I think is a.
Speaker 2: Great comp like we wouldn't want to pitch that, but like, I.
Speaker 3: Also believe that one of the main reasons that they introduced the police plotline is because they were like, well, people who don't really watch Star Wars, they know who the police are, they know there's a detective, they know they're following. So it's kind of like how you pitch a show like True Blood or Riverdale and you've started with a murder mystery, and.
Speaker 1: It's every time they're in.
Speaker 3: The police station, they're just explaining stuff that's happened.
Speaker 2: In previous scenes Star Wars shows.
Speaker 3: So then that's also just starts to feel like, well, they're not here for any other reason the next position, so they're just I think ironically they they tried to play it a bit too safe, is how.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling right now. But maybe that's going to expand out as the episode goes on.
Speaker 1: A couple of things about the police I do. I do think that part of the conversation around Larson and two Boots and having that whole side of the story in this was like on some executive level, like, hey, can we do something pro cop in like that? It does feel like that doesn't And then I just want to say that I love love you know, the motivation for characters is so important. I love the fact that Lawson's entire motivation as a character is one he wants to be a good cop, which he's terrible. He's so he knows nothing about like the most active he knows nothing about the most famous crime syndicates in the galaxy.
Speaker 3: And it's name of the weapon that the Jedi were using till a year ago.
Speaker 2: It would like come on.
Speaker 1: And then he's like a clear Jedi, you know, fighting with a lightsabers, Like is that a d And then so I love that, and then I love also the fact that his prime motivation, like is emotional motivation, like as a character right now anyway, is that he just doesn't want to see his ex wife is all the He's just he's like, you do not want to be reminded of her, And that's like everything that's going on. Why is he breaking protocol? He doesn't want to see his his wife. Honestly, in that framing doesn't hilarious. It doesn't it make two boots. I think it makes two boots more reasonable.
Speaker 2: Craziest thing is like they and again this is part.
Speaker 3: Of the the conversation around that is like you're so right, two Boots, he's just trying to follow his program big and he's like, bitch, I know, the only reason you don't want to call the empire is because.
Speaker 2: Of your wife. You don't want to see your wife.
Speaker 3: There is a mass murderer criminal syndicate here, and you just don't want to see your wife.
Speaker 2: She could any time.
Speaker 1: So from that perspective, like, I'm kind of on like, obviously I don't want to, you know, the impersion be called and that's terrible, but I get it because like if I'm you know, if I'm two Boots something and listen, I'm not getting written up. I'm not getting decommissioned for not following protocol because want.
Speaker 3: To see his ex wife, dude, seriously, and also as well, I was like this man, this man just.
Speaker 2: Conned me off, like he just.
Speaker 1: Want to see his ex wife.
Speaker 2: Everything he's doing right now is because he doesn't want to.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about both the disrespect and the boot licking, because I was having some struggles here like two Boots, your inability to realize the danger outside of your initial programming a feels very strange for the droids we've met.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I know, typically the droids we.
Speaker 4: Meet are.
Speaker 2: Slightly reprogrammed.
Speaker 4: They're liberated in a way, and it makes sense to me in a way to explore this side of droid. It's like what is the learning? Like, what is the way up? If somebody hasn't tinkered you to make you have a wider range of you know, vocabulary or thoughts, you know, where do you lie in that? And I found that really interesting. But then I was also incensed when he got shut down.
Speaker 1: I was like, what are you doing? You can't do that.
Speaker 3: I think that is like a big thing here again about maybe that balance between like not being too Star Wars even trying to get a new audience, but also there's certain things that good characters just don't do, and turning off a robot to evade like uh them basically like keeping an eye on you. That's not a good person behavior, Like he deactivates that shit because he doesn't want to deal.
Speaker 2: With his ex wife. That's the only reason he turns off.
Speaker 3: Somebody said to you programming because he doesn't want to see his wife.
Speaker 2: Sah sorts it out like come on, man, And I think as well, I do really.
Speaker 3: Like you read Jason, because I do think that something's interesting here is like two Boots is really only doing what his programming says anyway, So like he's having to battle between the human who is telling him is what he has to do, which is going against his coding, but not for any good reason. Like he's not going against it because he's selling. He should be telling him like, hey, there's Jedi here, they're trying to kill the Jedi.
Speaker 2: There's good people. We could be saving everything.
Speaker 3: Instead he's just like, oh my fucking bitch wife. I W.
Speaker 1: I also think that, you know, we have to remember that we have so much more information than these characters. Two Boots doesn't like they don't know the Empire is bad. Maybe they have an inkling that it's not like the greatest government in the world definitely sticking their nose in. Yeah, but like the Imperial footprint has been very very light on genics. This is clearly like a new thing where if theF call in, Like I don't know if that was the case with the Republic, where if you had major criminals on the planet.
Speaker 2: You had the Republic was very different.
Speaker 3: I think like a few rangers would have showed up and picked up the guy.
Speaker 2: He has this fear. I'm gessing we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna lear him why of the empire, essentially like colonizing the town and taking it over, which is a good normal like rational fear, but also like you really just don't want to see your wife.
Speaker 1: And the kind I'm kind of standing up for two Boots in a sense. I think he's wrong, but his reasoning makes sense. It's like you, you don't you don't want to call the empire for it's not like ethical moral reasons. It's legitimately just purely personal and it's an issue you have with the mother of your child, your ex.
Speaker 3: Wife, by the way, you're abandoning your child. That like every fucking.
Speaker 1: All the time, he's.
Speaker 3: He's a latch kid in space playing space lacrosse, So I know he's fancy. You're telling me he doesn't have it after school club. He could go through space after school club.
Speaker 1: I get it. I'm all. I'm all I'm saying is like I'm supportive of two Boots. I think to Boots is in a very, very tough spot.
Speaker 3: I don't think to Boots has the moral understanding to make a good choice there because he has not been taught by his alleged partner who would just turn him off. That's like the equivalent of like fucking you know, pistol, whipping your partner in the head and just leaving him because your partner is gonna help you, not help you.
Speaker 2: Also see in your ex wife.
Speaker 1: You know, watching lawson, you know, walk away from his kids sports game to go legitimately be the worst pop like on Jane X and one of the worst in the galaxy. It's like, no wonder you got divorced. They're just like, focus on being a good dad. You're not solving crimes. You've got this weird girlfriend, a girlfriend who who is the one who tells you all the cop information that you should already know.
Speaker 2: Yet most of why are you fucking your informant?
Speaker 3: Bro? That's like very uncool. We can see the attention. We know you last this is this is my exactly, guys. I know, I know, I'm sorry to the discord because I know you guys know that this must be annoying me so much. But like, this is not even about my own personal feeling about real cops in real life. This is about the issue of adding something that completely unravels the understanding that we have of legality.
Speaker 2: And law and the world.
Speaker 3: And once you put something from our real world in there, so texturally, with no analogue, you do start asking these questions. Whereas before when Cassie and Andor who is not a cop, who is at the beginning of his journey in the TV series and Or and he's flirting with a woman in a bar, you think, oh, well, that's just somebody he knows from the underground scene. He's flirting with her. Maybe she knows where his sister is. Like those connections, you don't have to add this layer onto them. But by making them a cop, we have to add these realistic layers because they're taking something from our world.
Speaker 2: So I think like.
Speaker 3: By simply them adding him, it makes us have more conversations about him, which is very annoying to me because this should be about Darth Maul. But the same thing, as I said, guys Generation five, my Little Pony, same thing happened, Like you add a cop to a fantasy world without caught, well let me and you have to reframe the entire show to fit into this new legal framework. It's very strange.
Speaker 1: Well, this is just the legal framework on janis to you know, give them some support with the plot line. I will say one here here is now this is just my pure headcanon reading. Lawson is very very depressed after his divorce from his wife. Definitely who has you know, I guess they had political disagreements as many as many couples may do. You know, like he didn't agree with the imperial side of things.
Speaker 3: She's obviously Oscar partner first if you'll pro empire, that's a first eight question, but sure.
Speaker 1: That And so I think he's very very depressed. I think he's trying to do cops side by cop ik he's trying to. I think he's trying to. I think he's trying to get killed in the line of Dude, he is so bad.
Speaker 3: That I would believe that he's like those He's like that lays it so it looks like it would kill you quickly chop the head. That he doesn't have to worry about paying the credits and the space Lacrosse and the private school that Riley clearly goes to.
Speaker 1: I think that's where the recklessness comes from. I think that's where like the out of control personal life comes from. I think he's just like I think he wants out and the only way he could think of, and he's turning off his partner, like I think the only thing that he could think of is maybe if I get like killed by these gangsters, Okay, do you they all end, my pain will end. I think that I could believe think about her anymore.
Speaker 3: I know He's like, I would think about my empire wife anymore, my whole empire wife. And also like, do you think if he dies that his that Riley would get money and the line of because he died in the line of so you know, maybe he's planning as well for Riley's future. He's like, he'll have some credits to put away as long as my bitch ex wife doesn't get them.
Speaker 1: A lot.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm telling you from a storytelling point of view. Every other time that we have come across like a cop analog the jedis of space cops. Everyone always says that, you know, oh, the Republic Rangers, like we love them, but ACAB like, you know, we have these jokes, but you never actually have to have the conversations because they are not cops. They literally call this place the police headquarters, like they did this to themselves. Like if you make that but yeah, it went bleak, it went dark. Maybe Loss is gonna die the biggest.
Speaker 1: Cross I mean, this is he's the Is he the first canonical wife guy in Star Wars history?
Speaker 2: Akrov?
Speaker 1: No, but yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Even Knobe did not marry Seteen. I'm gonna account him as a wife.
Speaker 3: Guy that was Actually you know what, he is actually the closest canonically to like a modern wife guy where it's about loving your wife being But there have been some. Star Wars is a series of stories about men who can't emotionally regulate around women.
Speaker 1: For sure, Lonson is only the latest. Let what cohind.
Speaker 4: Okay okay one. I don't know if you guys know, but Mal has a gauntlet fighter. It's called the Knight Brother. Will we get these Ickerson scorn actually out here being Night Brothers and God?
Speaker 1: I hope so.
Speaker 4: I love them so much just in designs, Jason, do you not listen? My hopes remain high. I love these brothers. I don't know anything about them. I just know that Mal was like, I have to have these two. That makes me so excited. I hope he gives them some I don't know, brotherly advise, even if we just b brothers.
Speaker 1: That would be to me, it would be great and I want it, but I'm not confident. It feels like a production note that they got was it's confusing. They look like Mall, but they're not Mall because the way they shoot them so in the background, like whenever you see them, even when it's the scene of them, they it's like a it's a it's a full shot, like it's a far away shot. They put them way back and it's clear that what they are I think what they're trying to do is not confuse people on oh is that Mall? It's not Mall, like the scene where the confin is the story yeah, notwithstanding, and so it just feels like adjacent to that note is, well, if we give them any lines, people are going to be they're gonna be like Mall's voice is different now, and so I just feel like they're not gonna do it. It just feels like they're not gonna.
Speaker 4: You're saying, make sense, but I don't like.
Speaker 2: I love this. I love the brothers.
Speaker 3: That the crazy thing to me, and I think this is a Dave Feloney issue, sadly, is like I do feel like we're going to get a really great.
Speaker 2: Comic spin off about the brothers or a book spin.
Speaker 3: Saying but like, but like my su like, we need to be making characters that we can also enjoy in the text of the thing, like do you do not need to constantly be making new Bob effects, like new cool characters that we're going to be talking about years after. We need characters who are good in the show. I love the brotherly aspect. I hope they're gonna do it to reflect more and oppress. I don't mean that I hope one of them dies, but like, I hope that there is a brotherly reflection there. This feels like a show that we should be getting bottle episodes about each of these characters and how they came to.
Speaker 2: Be part of Maule's story. Unfortunately, I don't know that we're gonna get that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm just still confused by what the show is. I'm happy to have it, but it is not hitting even in the way that like the bad batchhit for me, which I felt like was like a game changing masterpiece when it came out.
Speaker 2: This still feels like.
Speaker 3: It's in the works to me, and hopefully if there's more seasons. If we get more, it is gonna be additive. But at the moment, I'm kind of confused.
Speaker 4: We get this quote, because we get this quote that I think clarified a lot for me about the series. It's from Mall. He says, you survive, but you do not live. You should lead and be respected by all. I'm not crawling on your hands and knees begging to live. It is your unwillingness to use your powers that makes you weak. That is your delusion. He's talking to Daku Debi. Yeah, yeah, like Devin and Dacu are there.
Speaker 2: But I think.
Speaker 4: He's like this this moment of like this unwillingness to use your powers, and it really gravitates and centers Mall and like an all or nothing sots it again, you have to read in to the desperation of it, because you don't he doesn't feel desperate, but like that the intonation of that line, like it gives me a lot to work with and it gives me a lot of hope.
Speaker 3: But it does kind of sound like he's talking about himself. Yeah, which is interesting.
Speaker 4: It is interesting, and I think too, Uh if I could end on one final like really high note, for me, we pretty much get a third duel of the fates.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, let's talk about that. Let's because that is really cool.
Speaker 4: Master and Apprentice versus Mall. And within that fight, he says, your master is indeed lucky to have you by his side. Like the yearning for Mall to just be seen by another force user.
Speaker 1: I really did.
Speaker 2: He just wants some he wants a apprentice. So two of these.
Speaker 4: People going through life side by side, defending and supporting each other. No one defender supports me. Although again, while I think you're not seeing people right next to you, which can happen when you're longing, I just really I thought the fight seeing coordination was really strong. I think again, the artwork for this.
Speaker 1: So good. It's truly beautiful.
Speaker 4: And I think too, if we think about, like what does it mean for Mall to step up and face a master and apprentic Like we've seen him face Ahsoka and Anakin, we've seen him face Qui Gon and Obi Wan, I think it says a lot about his like both his desire for and his need to destroy any Like he's like, you should not get to have this, essentially like you to teach her you're not learning everything because Jedi inherently are like I learned the Jedi way, and that's it. We move forward, and I think there's an unworthiness he sees in docu, and I hope we kind of get more into that as the series goes on. It was my favorite thing was interacting with Ezra and Canaan.
Speaker 3: M first final question, guys, does Devin become Maul's apprentice before the end of this season?
Speaker 4: Well, we know that George has thought about having like a Twilight a twilet apprentice with Mal, like that's that's something that's been talked about for a long time. We've seen different drawing iterations of her. I think several characters were inspired by this potential character. I would like to see Mall walk away with an apprentice that then you have lots of storyline and time to like kill off or leave him before we pop back into Mall storyline again. But I think because of where Mal ends up, and given the goody two shoes cop bootleger nature of the show so far, it's unlikely.
Speaker 1: I also think that the the the overall debate darker light It was interesting. I thought over the first couple of episodes because it really seemed like we were framing the Jedi side of things as almost like irredeemably weak.
Speaker 2: And out of touch.
Speaker 1: Yes, but but it's we've it seems like that's flipped completely the other way now, and that Devin is like, I've gotten a taste of mall. He dueled me, wanted me to be his apprentice, and I don't like it, and I'm going all the way back to the light, even though it means like I'm gonna starve, and my master occasionally turns me into the police.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: You can't even eat one apple or you're going to the cops, babe.
Speaker 2: No, my I think that there is a.
Speaker 3: Version where in you know, the finale, the last two episodes, something so terrible happens to Daky in the space of the police or trying to do the right thing that she may consider going with Mare, And I think that could be very interesting.
Speaker 2: But I need to know more about Devon.
Speaker 3: I feel like you can't just introduce a character like this after introducing so many iconic follow up kind of Jedi post Order sixty six Jedi Canaan Ezra Ahsoka, like you you are this is a league of legends, like literally like a legacy of iconic new characters here. I just don't know that Devon's got the juice. I need to see her get that juice. But I'm excited to see where it goes, and I'm hoping we do end with them at least on the same side for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: But we still got six episodes to go, so so let's see.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Vision, We're diving into Daredevil two oh five. That's it for this episode. Thanks for the same X Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Cepcion and Rosie Knight and as a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Carmen Laurent, Dean Johnson, and Bay Wack.
Speaker 1: I've Seen song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.