Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central now.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I just don't want to know what the movie's about, and then.
Speaker 3: You oh, hi, I just want to say I really like the between the scenes stuff. I always watch it on YouTube, so like, can I hang out?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, thank thank you. No, it's it's a lot of it.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 2: Sorry. I don't want to be rude, but it's not a like it's it's not like a I'm just I just talked to the audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can talk to audience. You think the audience doesn' want to talk to me? You like the you like, talk about your dead dog again and bum everybody on again.
Speaker 2: What It's not like I just brought up my dead dog. Someone in the audience asked me about my dead dog, and then that that's that's how it happens.
Speaker 3: It's happening again, just like I said, talking about it again.
Speaker 1: He's bombing everybody out.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just like between the scenes, just like it's just like a random I've never been known. Great.
Speaker 3: No, I'm in a hoodie because you know, the studio's freezing and the ladies have to wear the cute dresses, and I wanted to finally be comfortable in the studio because of the patriarchy, it's always freezing.
Speaker 1: I see you in the halter top. I see you if he's uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: I feel like you've taken my between the scenes and turned it against me. There's like an intimate moment I share with and you guys just turned on me as well. We were hanging out and now you just flipped it on me. So, so what do you what do you want to do? Did you say so? Did you say so? Give us sweater? How did this I didn't take us sweaters away? Why is the mob cheering for sweaters?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: There's no no sweaters rule in this.
Speaker 5: Guys, the next level, give us sweaters travel.
Speaker 2: This is how Arab spring starts. This is like we want the sweaters. No. Yeah, I genuinely thank you for enduring between the scenes, but like, I don't know if there's.
Speaker 3: Anything the first guest to come on the between the scenes.
Speaker 2: The first guests come out after we're done with you.
Speaker 3: This is like a door RL. Honestly, I put I put on a and I felt really, really confident.
Speaker 2: So you were just like I'm just gonna come. I don't know what to do right now. I don't because when I between the scenes, I just say questions from the audience.
Speaker 1: You know, that's what you do.
Speaker 2: That's what I'll do. You can pick who the question comes from. That's what I do. Right. Hey hey Greg Gray.
Speaker 6: Girl, So, first of all, not to make it's weird, but you're on my boyfriend's list.
Speaker 1: Okay, how you doing?
Speaker 2: You're doing good.
Speaker 1: You haven't put a ring on it yet. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 1: Am I on your list?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: It's good to know I've got options?
Speaker 2: Wait? Can you can you back? What do you mean on your list?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: How what do you.
Speaker 1: Mean it's so cute?
Speaker 2: You know your list?
Speaker 3: No, like somebody my favorite actresses, like somebody that you can sleep with with, Like you get like a hall pass for like five people.
Speaker 1: It's like five people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five people you can sleep with. Yeah if you run into them and like a normal relationship thing. Yeah, you just go like there are five people you can And then you were like, she's on your list, but like so you thought you can. I don't understand how this works. No, I mean, like there's the list, So do you know about do you know who's Like, do you know that you're on lists or do you how does that work?
Speaker 3: People have made me aware that I'm on lists, but they don't consult you at all.
Speaker 1: I don't have to sleep with him, Trevor.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's what I'm saying. It's a bit weird that she's like, just so you know, you're on his list. Like it's like it's okay, yes, Wow.
Speaker 3: She's trying to wing men her own boyfriend, and I respect it. Wow, Okay.
Speaker 5: You know what I feel about, like this list thing is like, oh wow, I feel like the list is a lot more like fun when the person's not real, Like like because right now it's like the list is real now, isn't it supposed to be like someone you'd never meet? And now you're like they're like, like you're smiling a lot. Wow, Okay, who's on your list?
Speaker 6: Then the top of my list is probably.
Speaker 1: Huge, like as an asshole. No, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: I literally said it because he's one of the nicest people.
Speaker 1: That's why I can make a joke.
Speaker 2: He's too nice and he's like Australian nice, which makes it even worse. He's like super super super is ah yeah, And notice to say you're again. Oh yeah, so who else? Okay, Hugh Jackman, bon Jovi is on the list. No, no, no, I don't want sympathy list. Don't you sympathy list me, sympathy listen. I don't want SIMP. I want to like thot out lists. Hugh Jackman, bon Jovi, anyone else, Matthew McConaughey, Matthew McConaughey. Well, it's funny you say that because.
Speaker 5: You guys thought I was gonna bring up Matthew McConaughey and you're just gonna walk up to you and.
Speaker 2: Be like, all right, all right out sorry no, oh no, no, we're done.
Speaker 3: With no, no, I know, but like you know, I was sort of the first person between no.
Speaker 2: So what I do like now is I'll talk to the like I'll talk to the crew and like you know, we'll we'll chat about we don't like, I don't like do like between the scenes in that way anymore like I should do with you with the audience and then ask you questions and stuff. Yeah no, that was really cool.
Speaker 3: But I mean maybe just does like the crew want to ask us questions?
Speaker 2: Does anybody want to ask Anna Kendrick A question.
Speaker 1: See that's agro. That's why I don't like you.
Speaker 2: No, I think that was authoritative.
Speaker 1: I'll ask a question. I'll jump in the audience and ask a question. Hi.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm just it's my first time in New York. Really excited to be here. Uh. Trevor was just wondering do you give the audience gifts and stuff?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Is there a do we to get, like a gift bag? That'd be that'd be super cool.
Speaker 2: No, No, there are no gifts for the audience.
Speaker 1: Trevor, explain your pants? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Is it corduroy? Are these khaki's? What's what's happening here?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you audience member. I've never had to explain my clothing before. I've never I don't make it, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that was a great explanation for of your pants.
Speaker 1: So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Thank you audience personally.
Speaker 1: Anna Kendrick, why aren't you taller? H? Why aren't you taller?
Speaker 2: I'm sassy, don't I don't know about you, but I don't like this audience person. No, she's a lot like this is making me almost go like I don't want to have an audience. But I'm basing it on one audience.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah, which which is a mistake. A lot most people are better people.
Speaker 2: Than me, Like you know, when you meet a shitty baby and then I'm not having kids, right, That's what I feel like. This audience member is like, Okay, look if I was asking, if I was an audio like this is like, this is These are the kind of audience members I will normally normally have at the show, So it would be like the person will be there, Hi, Anna, Oh, Hi Hi Trevor.
Speaker 1: They're cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Trevor, I just wanted to know, how's your mom? You know, yes, your mom?
Speaker 1: Good's your mom?
Speaker 2: And she then like on my side, I will be like, yes, my mom is doing fantastic. Thank you so much for asking. See, well that's great. I have a question for Anna. Anna. I loved you in Pitch Perfect. I wish I could sing like you. I try to, but then my roommates tell me to shut up.
Speaker 1: Stop I Trevor, you have the nicest audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Can I take a Can I take a selfie with you? Thank you? Thank you? Wow? That was hardcore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're really into no selfie.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying that. That's that's a nice that's generally the tone. The tone I'm saying. I'm not saying you were a bad audience member, by the way, I'm just saying, do you guys have any questions? What's my game? Attag? That's too personal. I was chatting to John before the show and I was like, so, what are you going to do while we're setting up? And he's like, well, I can just hang out with the audience and they can ask me questions and so and so. I said, you wouldn't want to do that, John Day animals and he said, no, no, give them a chance. Give them. So, if you've ever wanted to ask John Legend a question, don't ask him for like a record deal. Don't make it something like awkward, like real questions, like this is your moment to interview John Legend. So if you have a question that, yes, ma'am, you went up first.
Speaker 7: Just I don't think he knows anything yet. My daughter's very aware of my music. She requestsed. Finally, when I made the Christmas album, she started requesting my music from me. So she will like ask to listen to that ass Christmas music and uh in April any time of year. She doesn't care. So I've been listening to my Christmas album for like eight months now, you know.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you what I found really amazing is so Christy Tigan, John Legend. These guys are like hashtag couple goals. Everyone envies you. No, you seem like you have the most fun together, and then I feel like you have the perfect kids because no, because your daughter looks exactly like Chrissy, Like you go like, this is Miny Christy Tige, and then your son. The first time I saw the picture, I thought Christy Teagan had done a face swap. And I don't know, if you see like it looks a lot like me.
Speaker 7: He has my personality too.
Speaker 2: Are you so far?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you do you think either of them will get into music?
Speaker 7: You know, we'll see. I would love it if they loved music, But I'm not going to pressure them. I'm going to be like, you know, you have to go to piano lessons.
Speaker 2: You can be an accountants, but on the piano, yes, sir.
Speaker 7: The free music out there, well most of it's not free.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 7: I think it's better than you know it being pirate, because it at least gives us an opportunity to be compensated for our work. So even when it's free, if there's ads, we're getting paid off of the ad revenue. And if you pay you know, your membership fee or whatever, we're getting a portion of that as well.
Speaker 2: And not just me.
Speaker 7: I'm rich, I'm fine, But honestly, there's a lot of songwriters and musicians and producers that aren't rich, and they deserve to get compensated for the work that they do. And so I'm happy that there's a regime now that actually accounts for the spends and make sure that if people's work is being used to make money, that they're getting a piece of that money. And so I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, do you think do you think streaming has improved the way we consume music or do you think it's made music more disposable?
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's changed it. I think it makes us listen to sing I think more than we did maybe twenty years ago. Whereas I think there was an album era, I think the old days there was more of a singles era.
Speaker 2: Actually, like I don't know the exact.
Speaker 7: Dates, but probably the sixties there is more of a singles era. But I think we're in a singles era again, so it's kind of making the album a little bit of a dinosaur the whole form.
Speaker 2: But people are still.
Speaker 7: Listening to albums all the way through, but I think less so than they used to. But actually think people consuming more music now than they ever have because they have access to so much music. But I think people are just mixing it the way they want to mix it. They're playlisting it, they're listening to curated playlists, and so you're just getting less emphasis on the album as a form.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, y'all, let's get ready for the performance. John Legend. Everybody Oprah has to leave. Yeah she was going anyway. Don't be greedy, but but but but but, I mean, this is like just a moment where we get to hang out. I know you're dying, So we'll do this. Two questions. I'll take one from the side of the audience and one from that side. Something you've always wanted to ask. Don't ask you what a favorite color is. Think for a moment. I'll ask you one question first, just to hit us on them so you can think for a little bit. Just one from this side, one from outside your best. You do it between the scenes. Just hang out and do it. This is like you. It's funny. I don't know you talked to your audience. Yes, yes, this is me. I just hang out with the real people. I love it. So are you kidding me? I wanted to know one thing you are, Oprah Winfrey. You have been very wealthy for a long time. You've worked hard to get there. I often wonder how much normal see this stool is in your life, Like, how many normal random things happened to you? Like does you when was the last time your phone ran out of battery while you were speaking? Does that ever happen to you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, like like never?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: So, for instance, has there ever been a moment where you're in the bathroom and then the toilet roll is done? No? No, what is the most now you know why?
Speaker 4: Because at my house, in my house, I don't know if this happens your house, but in my house, when the toilet rollers checked regularly, and when it's been checked, like after you go into the bathroom, somebody will come in and it's folded into the.
Speaker 2: Little In a hotel, it's like, okay, okay, we'll take one from we'll take one from each side.
Speaker 4: I will tell you something's very normal that you wouldn't think.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's I travel.
Speaker 4: With my own uh, I travel with my own bread, and I bring my own avocados.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do. So I have an avocado orchard. So I think the story but normal over. You just said, I'm gonna tell you something normal. They should have orchid.
Speaker 4: So I think it's ridiculous to pay for avocados, which is.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? That is not a normal story. Okay, all right, I made my own avocados because they're too expensive.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, another thing very normal, very normal, I do not The one thing I will not do is send my underwear out to be washed or clean.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, no, that's okay, that's you know why my grandmother would love that.
Speaker 4: She's just like five dollars for pair panties.
Speaker 2: That's the reason. That's the reason, oh, my grandmother. My grandmother would say, like, so, for instance, you know when you put the washing in the bosket and everything, and so everyone in the family, So I would do washing, then my cousin would do everyone want to do it, and then sometimes I would throw the under it and then my grandmother would come and then be like Teva, you want people to know your secrets? You want people question this, Yes, sir, I must know your secrets. All right, that's kid. We're gonta get out broadcast, so we're gonna get two questions. Yes, right at the top.
Speaker 7: To school in the United States.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm actually thinking about it. I'm actually thinking about where. And the reason why I called it the Open Win Free Leadership Acady for Girls in South Africa because even then I was thinking, this will just be one, this will be like the satellite school, and then I will I will do others.
Speaker 2: But it's taken me a while to get it right. It took me about ten years.
Speaker 4: To actually get it right.
Speaker 2: So thank you for that question.
Speaker 4: I'm actually thinking about it.
Speaker 8: Where I want to do it?
Speaker 9: Yes, No, I just wanted to find up for me because I was mental health trained. Me that mental health first ay trained, and in my culture, I see people who with mental health issues because of trauma and parpacy.
Speaker 2: But they won't admit it. Yeah, what's the thing.
Speaker 9: How am I getting them to realize what the experience is actually trauma?
Speaker 2: We're going to normalize it.
Speaker 4: So Harry and I are going to normalize it to the point that people will be like, hey, I got mental illness, and that's what you want for it, To call it out to the point where it's no longer such a stigmatized big deal, is no longer a taboo that people say they recognize themselves immediately. I will tell you this that I when my girls, some of my girls first came here, I was talking to one on the phone who all the girls had said, this girl is depressed, she hasn't come out of her dor and blah blah blah. And we on the phone googled all the symptoms for depression. And this girl, who's now by the way, very well but said to me, I said, so you're every single symptom of depression. You need to get help. And she said, I can't be depressed. I'm African, and the Africans.
Speaker 2: Don't get depressed. That's that's a true thing of it. Yeah, I can't be depressed. I'm African.
Speaker 4: So I want to erase that, and the way to do it is by talking about it more.
Speaker 2: So watch the series. All Right, So that's it. That's it. Fuck, But I like, I have one final question before you go I one of the greatest pressures, in my opinion of being Oprah Yeah, is that everywhere you go people are waiting for you to tell them to look under their seats. Yes, because everyone's waiting for you to give them something. So I want to say, look out to your seats. Everybody get dumpo. You're all getting a book. You're getting a book.
Speaker 4: You're getting a book.
Speaker 8: Everybody getting Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by search The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 8: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 2: This has been a Comedy Central podcast now