Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Grosse from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: The Trump administration is not following all court orders, and that's according to federal judges. The judges are fielding more requests to force the administration to comply with their rulings against the federal government than in any other administration, including the first Trump administration. One of the earliest cases was when the Chief DC Judge in March of twenty twenty five ordered the administration to turn back planes flying Venezuelan migrants to a prison in El Salvador, and the administration failed to do so. Now, a study by Bloomberg Lawn shows that judges have found the administration has failed to comply with their orders in more than half of the twenty five cases identified regarding preliminary injunction. Joining me is Bloomberg Law reporter Suzanne Monnac, who's done the research and crunched the numbers. Normally, a judge issues and order and the parties comply with the order. What's been happening in several cases with orders issued against the federal government.
Speaker 3: We've seen some recent examples where the Trump administration has been at least accused of and in some cases found of not fully complying with these court orders. Attract two dozen examples at least of times when initial preliminary injunction orders issued early in a case were not fully followed, or at least the challengers alleged that they were not being fully followed by the government.
Speaker 4: Under this administration alone.
Speaker 2: What kind of cases are we talking about?
Speaker 4: All different types of cases against the government.
Speaker 3: We've seen them in big cases of our usaid funding cuts, the dismantling of international broadcaster Voice of America, other big cases across the country where there were early preliminary injunction orders granted against the administration telling them to stop doing something, and then we saw the challengers come back into court and claim the administration wasn't fully following that order. And in about half of those twenty five instances, the judge agreed, at least in part.
Speaker 2: There was a scathing opinion by a Reagan appointee in the Voice of America case, and in another case, a senior DC federal judge said that the Defense Department's actions flout the court's explicit directives. So these federal judges are not beating around the bush. How upset are the judges about this failure to comply with their explicit.
Speaker 3: Orders in some cases pretty upset And obviously when it comes to judges, sometimes they're upset and they still write a pretty boring opinion, So it's hard to always know. But yes, as you mentioned in a couple of examples, the judges did in fact let us know that they weren't happy with the government's conduct. In that one instance you mentioned, Judge Lambert or Reagan appointee in DC, when he was handling the Voice of America case, said that he thought the government was quote in violation of even the most meager reading end quote of his court order.
Speaker 4: So definitely not pleased.
Speaker 3: We've also seen plenty of orders where the judge is kind of very matter of factuty as like, I don't see the government as having fully complied with this order.
Speaker 4: These are inconsistent.
Speaker 3: You know, you need to do this differently if you want to be in compliance with my order.
Speaker 2: A few judges wanted to take things further or did take things further. So in Minnesota you had the chief judge finding that Ice violated court orders in dozens of immigration cases. And then there was a federal judge who held a government lawyer in civil contempt, though that didn't last long. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, in this story, I was tracking motions to enforce preliminary injunctions, but there have been a lot of different types of motions filed to force compliance with court orders against this administration. And in that one example you mentioned, we saw a Minnesota federal judge actually held a government lawyer briefly in civil contempt of court for not correctly facilitating the release of a detained immigrant. He was released in the wrong state without his property, and it came out that the lawyer hadn't forwarded the court's order to ICE on time, so there was just a full breakdown in communication. The lawyer actually did apologize and said, I've just been really overwhelmed. But the judge had ordered essentially a financial penalty for every day that the detained immigrant, you know, was not with his property, and the government did remedy it very quickly. I don't believe the government lawyer, who was acting in the capacity of representing ICE, did actually end up having to pay anything personally, but it was a pretty significant sanction to see against the government.
Speaker 2: So in these cases, the government is giving instructions about what the court said and what the agency supposed to do. Do you know, is it a lot of times that the government lawyers are screwing up or that the agency is just not complying.
Speaker 4: I think it's a mix.
Speaker 3: In the case I just mentioned in Minnesota, that was a case where there was definitely seemed to be an overwhelmed lawyer for the government who was dealing with a lot of these immigration detention challenges as cases. But certainly I think there may be instances where it is, you know, the agency, and we've seen the government actually, like in that Minnesota case, say like, look, we can't always be responsible for what the agency does. The Justice Department, of course, represents federal agencies in court, and so you know, that's really kind of an interesting question as we see some of these compliances issues come up in cases to what extent is the Justice Department responsible for a federal agency not fully following a court order or interpreting it too narrowly and you know, not fully complying in the full spirit of the order. I think that's an interesting question and one that we've seen come up already.
Speaker 2: One of the first and probably still most famous case is is where the chief judge in DC, Judge Boseburg, ordered the government when they were sending venezuel and immigrants to prisons in El Salvador, to turn the planes around, and they didn't, and he wanted to have a criminal contempt investigation.
Speaker 3: But what happened the DC Circuit ruled against him on that issue and blocked a hearing from being held. Proceedings are still pending on that issue. But yes, that was probably one of the most famous issues of court compliance that have happened in this administration, and happened so early kind of set the tone perhaps for some of the issues to come. And in that case, we were talking about criminal contempt, which is a different form of content than we were discussing with the Minnesota lawyer.
Speaker 4: That was civil contempt, so quite a bit more serious.
Speaker 2: I mean, particularly it's noticeable in the immigration cases to me. But is it a reflection of the Trump administration sort of flexing or trying to flex its executive power or is it something else?
Speaker 4: Certainly it depends who you ask.
Speaker 3: I think that it is fair to say that when we're seeing this many motions to force compliance of court orders, more motions to enforce preliminary orders, but also some of the other ones you've talked about, to compel compliance, to consider contempt. That does probably show that we're dealing with an executive branch that is, you know, maybe interpreting court orders in a new way or really you know, drawing more this litigation as well. It's also partly, you know, a bit of a numbers game. To be clear, the majority of cases we're not seeing these compliance orders. It is still a small share of them. It's just a significantly higher share than we've seen involving the government in administrations past. The Department of Justice did respond to our reporting and they blamed really more the planeffs, you know, they said, this is not a pattern of non compliance in our part, like our DOJ lawyers work closely with the agencies to make sure they're complying, and said that it's actually the plain IFFs, the court challengers who are trying to test or expand the scope of injunctions. So I think what we're also kind of seeing and not only is sort of this flexing of executive power, but it's also the tension between executive power and judicial power, and the administration saying, you know, what can we do with the courts ruling as they are, and plainniffs are saying, what can the courts do to keep the administration from doing what it's doing?
Speaker 4: So we're kind of seeing a lot of that push them fullyly.
Speaker 2: In how many cases did the judges actually find that there hadn't been compliance?
Speaker 3: We looked at a small slice of court compliance motions, which for motions to enforce preliminary injunctions. But I think it's an interesting example to look at because it shows a compliance issue really early in a case. A preliminary injunction would come down pretty soon after a lawsuit, showing that the challenger was likely to win its case, and so then we're seeing the government, you know, immediately potentially not following that order.
Speaker 4: I think it's an interesting place to look in that case.
Speaker 3: Of the twenty five motions we identified in certain types of cases against the government, fourteen of them had a judge either grant fully or partially that ruling. In a few other cases it was either denied, sometimes it was resolved otherwise, or even mooted sometimes because the case just progressed past that stage. But a fourteen out of twenty five was still somewhat of a striking number for comparison. Under the Biden administration, there were only two motions to enforce preliminary injunctions crouled against the government, and one of them was partially grand and a medicaid involved case led by Texas. And during the first Trumpet administration, we saw eleven motions to enforced preliminary injunctions, about half of those partially or fully granted, so somewhat of a similar statistic, But I mean, that was eleven over four years. We're looking at twenty five and a year and a half. So I think we can expect potentially this number to grow as the number of court challenges grow and you know, as we see the administration kind of see what you know, they're able to do with these court orders.
Speaker 2: So I've talked with, you know, many former federal prosecutors who talk about how the presumption of regularity is being eroded in the Trump administration, in the second Trump administration, because the judges are not trusting what the government lawyers are saying.
Speaker 3: That's certainly a consequence when we're talking about court compliance issues, if we're seeing examples where the government is making I mean, in addition to court compliance issues. There have also been notable examples where government lawyers have made stakes in court, said things that they've had to go back and later correct, and even if they are still correcting it, which is what you're supposed to do, if you notice an error, you're supposed to correct it, that still does work to chip away at that presumption of regularity or you know, the assumption judges make that the government's acting and good faith in court. Some of the lawyers I spoke to, you know, one of them told me that she didn't see the presumption of regularity as being in full crisis at this point yet, but that it's certainly being tested. So I think that's another thing that we're going to watch and both during this administration and an administrations to come to what extent will the government will be able to recover from this.
Speaker 2: It's also true that a lot of these lawyers who were being thrown into court, particularly in the immigration cases, they have people who are not experts in immigration appearing in court, and they have a lot of inexperienced prosecutors because so many prosecutors left the Justice Department.
Speaker 3: Yes, the brain drain and the Justice Department is certainly a significant factor when it comes to these issues. Anytime you see a lawyer make a mistake in court who's really new to the department, I mean you have to wonder if perhaps having had more of those career people who had years of experience being there might have helped. And certainly again in that Minnesota case we were discussing, the attorney who was briefly held in civil contempt was a military lawyer who'd been dispatched apparently to help out with the surge of immigration cases happening in Minnesota at the time, because there wasn't the staffing to handle it.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, those are the things that happen.
Speaker 3: Things do slip through, and you end up with mistakes being made even under the best intentions when there isn't you know, full staffing or or full level of experience.
Speaker 2: Susanne, you put a lot of research into this. Thanks so much for sharing your findings with us. That's Bloomberg Law reporter Susanne Monnac. It's the biggest legal fight yet over harm to youth from social media and a pivotal moment for Meta, which is facing a possibility of a one point four trillion dollar DAMAGEES verdict and structural changes to its platform. Meta is once again on trial over dangers its platforms allegedly posed to children, and it's arguing once again that it works hard to make its platform safe for children. State attorneys general accuse Meta of contributing to the youth mental health crisis by knowingly and deliberately designing features that addict children to its platforms and hiding these harms from the public. It also argues that Meta routinely collects data on children under thirteen without their parents' consent, in violation of federal law. Joining me is Bloomberg Legal reporter Madeleine Meckelberg, who's covering the trial. Madeline tell us about this sort of new strategy the plaintiffs are using where they're arguing that it's the products themselves, their design and functionality, that have created harms, rather than talk about the content.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: So this case is like thousands of others that have been filed in that it's an attempt by litigants to get around Section two thirty, which gives pretty broad protections to technology companies from liability for content that's posted on their website. And so there are different baskets of cases that we can talk about, but essentially, all of them are seeking to hold companies like Meta, TikTok, Snapchat, Google's YouTube. They're trying to hold them accountable for the design of their platforms and features that they say are designed to be addictive and harmful to kids.
Speaker 2: So it's the public nuisance theory that was used in the New Mexico case.
Speaker 1: So the case that's go at trial right now with the state attorneys general is not a public nuisance case. That's a legal theory that's being put forward in cases that have been filed by groups of school districts and by some individual attorneys general. There are a ton of cases, so it's pretty confusing and it's hard to keep track of all of them.
Speaker 5: But the case that's at.
Speaker 1: Trial right now involves twenty nine state ags and they've brought their case under two kind of baskets of legal claims. The first one is consumer protection laws, and this is where it gets slightly more confusing. Only four of the twenty nine states have brought consumer protection claims, but they're all being tried together at this trial, and those are claims about the design of the platform. They say that they knowingly designed it to hook kids, and importantly that they misled the public and parents about risks that the companies should have known about its products.
Speaker 5: And that's one basket.
Speaker 1: And then there's also privacy claims during this lawsuit, and so the rest of the states are alleging that Meta knew that there were users under thirteen on its platform and it was collecting data from those kids in violation of federal law. So it's two different kind of baskets, but it's being discussed as part of this broader landscape of the cases against social media, and they're all kind of trying slightly different novel legal theories as different ways of getting at these companies. And I want to clarify that the case that's happening right now, Meta is.
Speaker 5: The only defendant in this day age case.
Speaker 1: Some of the other cases include other social media companies, but this one is just Meta.
Speaker 2: In the opening statement, the plaintiff's attorney said the business model is hook the user, hook them for as long as you can harvest their data, and then hide the truth. Did she say how she was going to prove.
Speaker 5: That that's right?
Speaker 1: She was talking about her four h's and kind of giving a jurors a roadmap of what we can expect to hear, and I think for folks that were following some of the developments in the personal injury case that happened earlier this year, we're going to see a lot of similar arguments and similar witnesses come forward. They're planning to call folks like Mark Zuckerberg and Adam Musserri, who's the CEO of Meta and the head of Instagram, respectively. They're going to call current and form employees to talk about the design and to talk about internal studies at Meta that they conducted about teen users and harms that they experiencing on the platforms. And they also are going to call in folks like Artu Obahar, who was the first witness. He's a former employee turned whistleblower who's spoken very publicly about his safety concerns with the platform. So it's going to be a lot of witness testimony and internal documents showing what Meta knew when, and then juxtaposing that with what messaging they were putting out to.
Speaker 5: The public, because that's a kind of important component in this case.
Speaker 1: Is this idea that they misled or otherwise hit information that the attorneys are arguing should have been made available.
Speaker 2: A lot of the witnesses have already testified in other cases, and so both sides should pretty much know what they're going to say.
Speaker 5: I think that's definitely one way to look at it.
Speaker 1: I don't think at this moment we're expecting any major bombs to be revealed about things going on at Meta that we didn't know about. And I think that's kind of the point of these cases is it's not about unearthing previously unknown information, which sometimes is what happens when cases go to trial.
Speaker 5: This is an issue that we are well aware of as the public.
Speaker 1: It's something that's been discussed at congressional hearings in other cases and by the companies themselves as they've repeatedly rolled out their attempts at safety features, and you know, you might hear about teen accounts on different platforms, and so this is about finding an avenue or accountability for certain groups of litigants for this company. And so yeah, I think a lot of the testimony is going to be familiar to folks that really care about this issue and follow it. That doesn't make it any less important, because at the end of the day, doesn't.
Speaker 5: Really matter what we know about it.
Speaker 1: What matters is that this is potentially the first time that those jurors sitting in the room are hearing about some of this stuff, hearing the testimony, seeing the internal emails.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you about the jury because it's an advisory jury. This judge has used that kind of advisory jury before.
Speaker 1: Yes, Judge von Gonzalez Rogers is probably well known to folks following any kind of the social media cases, but also just kind of tech and Silicon Valley cases in general. She's seated in Oakland, and we saw her do the similar strategy at a recent high profile case, which was the Elon Musk lawsuit against Sam Altman in Open Ai, where she essentially is having a jury seated for the trial. They're hearing all the evidence and they're going to issue a verdict. They don't know that their opinion is going to be advisory. But then at the end of the day, Judge Rogers can decide whether she wants to adopt their findings or whether she feels like the evidence is pointing her in a different direction.
Speaker 2: They'll be disappointed when they find they sad for all these weeks and their their verdict is not binding.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean it's not you know, they're not doing a valuable service.
Speaker 5: Like there's a.
Speaker 1: Reason that she's doing that, and it's that these cases are incredibly complicated, and while this one is not a bellwether, it's still part of this massive multi district litigation.
Speaker 5: And the outcome here, again, it won't.
Speaker 1: Necessarily set a precedent until there's appeals and kind of gets decided at the circuit level in some respects. But what happens here will have sway in other cases. So I think what we're seeing is a judge who's really trying to dot all the i's, cross all the t's and make sure that she's really giving it fair consideration.
Speaker 2: Do you know if she followed the jury's suggestions in the open AI case with Altman and Elon Musk.
Speaker 5: She did.
Speaker 1: She did follow their suggestions there, and that was because she kind of said from the outset in that case there was a question of timing and whether Musk waited too long to file his claims and the statute of limitations, and she said that if the jury made a finding on the statute of limitations question, she would adopt that without question because that's a key. You know, they didn't weigh in on the merits of this actually, just whether he took too long to file them.
Speaker 2: So you heard from the defense attorney as well opening statements, what was his position.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: So Meta has maintained, you know, they deny all of the allegations that have been brought forward in this lawsuit, and he talked a lot about safety features that Meta has rolled out and said that they've made real efforts to try to reduce reported harms to teenagers. Another thing that we've heard Meta talk about and their legal team talk about is this idea of thirteen year olds on the platform and kids under the age of thirteen. They've talked about how this is an industry wide issue, is kids signing up when they're not supposed to have accounts, and they feel that this is an industry wide challenge. It's not something that they should be singled out for in this case. This is something that needs to be tackled at a more systemic level and everyone's trying to brainstorm solutions on that. And so I think what you heard from them is that the AGS are really overstating their case.
Speaker 5: That's another thing I think I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure we're going to talk about this big one point four trillion dollar penalty number that's been floated. I think metas stances that you know, when we're talking about specific consumer protection violations. The number that's being floated is totally disproportionate to the allegation side issue. And that's another component of this is they've said, you're not going to hear directly from kids in this case.
Speaker 5: You're not going to hear from people who've been harmed.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to just take the attorney's general word for this, and that's not good enough.
Speaker 2: They're not going to call any children or young adults.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that there's any individuals on the witness list, and that's because this case is different than you know, the personal injury cases is a whole other category, and that's where an individual or their family member assuming these social media companies, saying that they personally experienced harm due to the defective, dangerous design of these platforms. This case is a little different with AG's they're obviously like trying to enforce their state laws, and yeah, I don't as far as I know, there's not a plan to call individual users within their states.
Speaker 2: Stay with me, Madeline. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Lost Show, I'll continue this conversation with Madeline Meckelberg, who's covering the Meta trial. What about that possible one point four trillion dollars in damages? Where does it come from? And is it inflated? I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg. It's the very definition of a high stakes trial. Dozens of state Attorneys General are suing Meta, claiming it uses unprecedented technology to entice, engage, and ensnare children and teenagers harming their mental health. The potential financial penalty is a shocking one point four trillion dollars. That for a company that has a one point five trillion dollar or market value and more than monetary damages. The state ags are asking the judge to order Meta to make structural changes to its platform. Meta has denied wrongdoing, saying it's continuously improved its tools to protect kids. I've been talking to Bloomberg Legal reporter Madeleine Meckelberg, who's covering the trial. So, Madeline about this one point four trillion dollar number. That number came from Meta, didn't it? The State ags haven't specified a number.
Speaker 6: So nobody wants to take credit at this point for the one point four trillion dollar number, but it's out there and so we have to talk about it. And that's because the way that penalties are calculated under consumer protection laws is.
Speaker 1: Basically these four states they have a fine structure built into the laws. So for every violation of a consumer protection law, I think Colorado had the highest, it's a twenty thousand dollars fine, And the question becomes, if the jury and judge decide to.
Speaker 5: Rule against meta and in the AG's.
Speaker 1: Favor, now we have to do some mouth calculations and determine what equals a violation, like what should we count for that, And that's why we're seeing such a wide discrepancy in the amount of penalties that's being discussed, because if your bar for what counts as a violation is lower for all these states, there is a world where you get to a one point four trillion dollar number. But we've heard the state AG's attorneys say that they've done their own kind of calculating and they think that it's probably closer to the two hundred billion dollar mark, which you know that's still a ton of money, like next to one point four trillion dollars. It sounds, you know, oh, maybe that's not so bad. That's still a ton of money. And I think the other thing in this case is that.
Speaker 5: The penalties are just one part of it.
Speaker 1: Like the high stakes here that are different than in the personal injury cases is that the attorneys are seeking court orders requiring Meta to change its business and change how it's designing its platforms. They want orders that I really enforced the age limit in a way that they haven't previously. They want them to do away with the design features that are at issue, like the way they send notifications and features about their algorithm, and the way that you can open Instagram and scroll, scroll, scroll.
Speaker 5: And never hit the end of the feed.
Speaker 1: And so there's a lot at stake here, even if the dollar amount does not ultimately, at the end of the day reach that trillion dollar benchmark.
Speaker 2: The accusation that Meta collected data from users under thirteen in violation of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act? Has that been litigated before?
Speaker 5: I don't have an answer to that.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think that it's I feel like there's been there's like individual cases about that, but it's certainly nothing on this scale.
Speaker 5: But I don't have a concrete answer for you on that.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the first witness the State Ags called. He's testified several times before, but you must be very important because they chose him as their first witness.
Speaker 1: Right And there was a lot of back and forth fighting before he even took the stand between Meta and the State Ags about whether he should be allowed to testify.
Speaker 5: And that's Arturo Behart.
Speaker 1: He is a former researcher and manager at Meta who kind of separate stints at the company. This first one was when they were still Facebook, before they were Meta, he was on an engineering team that was looking at safety features on the platforms, all of them Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp. And then he left Meta to spend time with his family. He said on the stand he was going through a divorce and he wanted to be.
Speaker 5: Home with his teenage kids.
Speaker 1: And after a few years he decided to return to Meta as an independent contractor working on Instagram's well Being team, which is focused on similar issues of safety and how to improve the user experience. But he's an interesting witness because he no longer works at Meta.
Speaker 5: He left in twenty twenty one, and.
Speaker 1: His story is one where he said he repeatedly tried to raise concerns to leaders at the company, including the highest levels Mark Zuckerberg. He was in kind of a position where he was regularly interacting with the very top folks at Meta, and he said he repeatedly tried to raise concerns about safety and concerns about the way that Meta measures safety in its internal studies, and that he was routinely dismissed. I think some of his most powerful testimony is about his personal experience, which is during this time that he was not working at Meta, his teenage daughter was fourteen and she wanted to sign up for an Instagram account, and he said he saw firsthand some of the harassment that she was experiencing from people online sending her in appropriate messages, soliciting sex and images, and he said he found it shocking, even as someone who had a six year career at Meta working in safety, and so that inspired him to go back to the company.
Speaker 5: And he felt like when he tried to tell.
Speaker 1: His daughter's story there as an anecdote and as evidence that they really need to do something about this issue.
Speaker 5: He said he was overlooked.
Speaker 2: Metas said face two trials. They've lost in both, but it seems as if from hearing what the defense attorney said and from hearing the witnesses, that their strategy appears to be the same. We work to implement changes that would help mitigate this problem. It sounds pretty much the same.
Speaker 5: I think it's very similar.
Speaker 1: I think it's a little early to tell for sure how this case is going to play out, but I think it's it's definitely similar. I mean, I think a lot of the real litigating and legal nitpicking about the arguments is going to happen on appeal. There's no way that whoever loses here doesn't seek an appeal in the Ninth Circuit.
Speaker 5: And that's I think when we're really going to.
Speaker 1: Get to the meat and potatoes of this case and the legal arguments, and I think that's where a lot of focus is on. Frankly and kind of revisiting this Section two thirty issue.
Speaker 5: I mean, there was a ruling from the Ninth Circuit on that allowing.
Speaker 1: This trial to proceed, but it's not a done deal by any means, and I think there's already been in the first few days. The judges had to remind the ags like, Okay, we're not veering into content, remember, like, let's focus on this. And that was something we heard in the previous trials too, So I definitely think Meta has a similar stance going into this trial, but the claims are slightly different, and so I'm sure we're going to see a little bit of different legal maneuvering, but it's kind of early to tell at this point.
Speaker 2: So what's happening with the what thousands of other cases, school districts and individuals, what's happening with those.
Speaker 5: And that's the big question. So, yeah, there's thousands.
Speaker 1: I think there's we're up to three thousand cases that have been filed against these companies and they've all been consolidated into separate, multi district litigation proceedings where they're kind of trying to navigate the just huge scope of cases, and so they've picked a handful of cases to serve as bell weathers and so are selected not for any particular reason. It's not the best case, it's not the worst case. There meant to be a few cases that are representative of the whole and those cases.
Speaker 5: Are going to trial first. So we saw one of those trials earlier this year in LA and the personal injury case. It is a.
Speaker 1: Teenage girl named Kaylee, and she won. She received a verdict from the jury against Meta and against YouTube, and there were confidential settlement agreements she reached with TikTok and Snap ahead of trial. And there was another bell Weather that was set to have a trial this summer, and that individual also reached settlements with the parties and then ultimately dismissed his claims against Meta.
Speaker 5: So we're still very early days.
Speaker 1: In moving through all of those cases as well, but I think there's a few more scheduled before the end of the year in school district cases and the personal injury cases. And the idea is once these bell Weather cases have been heard, then there's going to have to be some conversations about how to resolve the rest of them. Do these companies want to go to trial over and over and over against all these claims. Do these parties feel like they have.
Speaker 5: Enough evidence to continue going to trial with the social media companies or do they want to dismiss it. It's expensive to pursue litigation, and so these bow weathers are really informative for both sides of whether it's worth it to kind of stick it out and keep fighting, but there's still a long road ahead for everybody.
Speaker 2: Are the state ags also suing other social media this coalition, are they suing other social media companies?
Speaker 5: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: I don't think this coalition specifically is pursuing claims against other companies, but there are other ags and other coalitions of ags.
Speaker 5: That are pursuing claims against other companies.
Speaker 1: It's a wild web, and I do not envy the judges and the lawyers that are responsible.
Speaker 5: For keeping track of it. For the reporters, yeah, let's talk about the reporters.
Speaker 2: So madline, what's been happening in Europe and Australia as opposed to what's been happening in ungris here, which is basically that's right.
Speaker 1: So Australia and Europe, the authorities there have been able to pursue those kinds of regulations and here we're seeing some of that at the state level. Different states have tried to put down at least crackdowns or limitations or specifically dealing with this age requirement age verification requirement.
Speaker 5: We're seeing a lot of that, but they've had a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: They've hit roadblocks in the courts, and these companies are not you know, accepting regulations silently.
Speaker 5: And they're pushing back.
Speaker 1: And I think that makes this case and the others like it so significant is because I think for a lot of folks who are on this side of wanting to rein in the companies, wanting to kind of push back a bit on this what they see as this like widespread crisis of addiction and harm, they see the courts as kind of their their last stand or a really important battleground for this issue, because you know, there's attempts at it, but it's so far not been successful legislative level.
Speaker 2: Mediceo. Mark Zuckerberg will be called to testify in this trial? What about some of the other cases? Will he be called in all these cases?
Speaker 1: He's a high profile witness, And it's an interesting, you know, always interesting when the heads of these companies come to court and have to testify in front of a jury of regular people who are seeing this person and kind of seeing them out of their element. It always it brings out a really interesting side of them. But I do think that while they're trying to get him to testify in every case. I think it's very unlikely that he'll be called back to speak in everything. I think in one of the personal injury bell Weather's coming up, they're working out agreements to film some of his depositions so that they can replay that in court versus calling him as a live witness, because not only is it you know, he has a very demanding schedule, as as so many of us do, but it can be hard to coordinate those appearances. But it's also a lot up, you know, for the courts too, to have to manage having a high profile person there and security needs and the life.
Speaker 2: There was no trial today because one of the jurors called in sick, but I know you will be back at work on Monday reporting for us. Thanks so much, Madeline. That's Bloomberg Legal reporter Madelin Mecklberg. And that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law Podcast. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com, slash podcast Slash Law, And remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg