Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It is Thursday, February twelfth, and Ice is leaving Minnesota. Welcome to this breaking news episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: Robes.
Speaker 1: We're hopping on here because we just got word just within the past several moments from Tom Holman, who has been sent to Minnesota with the President's a new man on the ground who has just announced what some have been screaming for, begging for protesting about, and even bad Bunny said on the Grammy stage, Ice out and they're leaving.
Speaker 3: Yes, hashtag Ice out, It's everywhere and now it's actually happening. Borders are Tom Holman made this announcement and it took a lot of folks by surprise, but he said that President Trump has signed off on this, that they are leaving, that they've been successful, that they're leaving Minneapolis safer and better than before. But yes, this is the news so many people were waiting for and probably didn't think would have happened this quickly.
Speaker 1: And I think you said the most important part, right, The President signed off on this. He said, it was my suggestion to the president. He's going along with it and we're leaving now, Robes, this will be seen as some as what a victory. Will this be seen in any way as a retreat by the president. He certainly will make sure it's not framed that way. But bottom line, as we get into the back and forth here robes, isn't the bottom line the basics that just this national nightmare and international embarrassment to a certain degree that's even impacting our Olympians is going to end.
Speaker 3: You know what, I think that is a very good way to put it, and it's going to end. I feel like in a way, both sides can say they wont Both sides can point to something and say this happened because of what we did or what we said.
Speaker 2: So you've got borders.
Speaker 3: Are Tom Holman saying we've made four thousand arrests, Minneapolis is safer. He made a point we'll get into his exact comments, telling folks, if you're illegal in Minneapolis, you're not okay or in the clear. We are still going to be enforcing the law, but just not with three thousand ICE agents boots on the ground. And then you've got protesters who can say our voices were heard, our local and state officials stood up for us, and we eventually were able through our collective efforts to get Ice out of Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Everybody gets to say.
Speaker 1: They won, and the President will refuse to let anybody say he retreated or that he caved, or he in some way cave to these Democratic lawmakers, these Democratic leaders. Not sure how he's going to frame this, but I think Tom Holman today was careful. He has been good, a straight shooter, but even today is in making sure that he was giving the president credit. He also has been good rose about saying not saying this thing perfectly, and I'm here because it didn't go perfectly, and I'm here to make it better. So he's been on the ground for a week and a half and all of a sudden everything changes.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. And look, I appreciate this.
Speaker 3: We say enough things about President Trump and his decisions and maybe even what he says about his decisions, but I will say that it is refreshing to see him trust people he put in charge. So he took someone like Homan who was actually working. He's worked for the Obama administration. This isn't a partisan borders are. This is somebody who has worked in different administrations who you might think President Trump might not trust because of that, but instead trusted the guy on the ground who he put in charge to say what he thinks is best for the law and order of that community. And it's just nice to see President Trump supporting that decision.
Speaker 1: And look, will two American citizens have died in the past several weeks because and he will tell you, because of this surge having them out of there, and they're no longer being surge. For many people will say Minnesota is safer because you're leaving. The administration is saying you're safer because we came in the first place. Who cares at this point, who wants to win whatever pr battle?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 1: But if we don't have to see any more tear gas and spitting and throwing and kicking, and if we don't have to see anymore of that on the streets, whoever take it out?
Speaker 3: And it's amazing obviously those of us who are reporting on it, and anyone who's listening to this has been watching it, we've been reading it. But the folks in Minneapolis have been living it. And I cannot imagine what that must have been like, what that has been like for everybody in that community, People who care about the immigration community, people who are here who might be here legally but look like they could be illegal immigrants. You know, the fear, the distrust, the chaos, the anger, the violence. And yes, it is so tragically sad that two people, a young a mother of young children, and an icy U nurse were literally gunned down in the streets of their own city. It's it was horrific and difficult, and as you pointed out, even made its way to the Olympics in controversy.
Speaker 1: And so if all of this robes that everywhere you go, people are seeing what's happening on the streets of an American city where we're fighting each other and you have government agents killing American citizens.
Speaker 2: That has happened.
Speaker 1: It's not a blame and a back and a fourth and who should have been there, should have moved a car and he shouldn't have been so angry. That's not it. The point remains, robes we are Americans fighting Americans literally in the streets of American city, and Americans are dying. If that gets to stop and decrease the chances, then so be it. And look, thank you, mister Tom Holmer. He has been such a straight shooter. We've watched some of these press conferences sometimes going come on, dude, like wake up an He's just not an animated guy.
Speaker 2: This is who he is, straightforward, gruff, and.
Speaker 3: That's exactly who we needed, it appears, because take the emotion out of it and get the job done. And when the job is done to the best of your ability, you get out, you leave. Look, we're here in Mexico. We've told everybody this We saw in the streets of this small little surfing town f Trump f Ice. It's even here in Mexico. Obviously, folks, folks who live here or who have maybe family members who have emigrated.
Speaker 2: Or who live in the United States.
Speaker 3: Obviously you understand why there's that sentiment here in a Spanish speaking country.
Speaker 2: But still it was still surprising to see it.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that. That was just yesterday. We saw that and couldn't believe it was here. But Holman gave this press conference today.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: We had it scheduled, it was planned, and to be honest, we were in the middle of some other work and I was going to put it up and I said, oh, okay, it's probably just giving an update. Wasn't expecting this today, but he came out with us. I'm very pleased to report that this surge operation and our work here with state and local officials to improve coordination and achieve mutual goals, as well as our efforts to address issues of concern here on the ground, have yielded the success results we came here for. There were some issues here, and we addressed those issues. But I'm not gonna sit here and say anybody did anything wrong. I'm going to say there's some issues here, we fixed those issues. We've had great success with its operation, and we're leaving Minnesota safer.
Speaker 2: Okay, that true?
Speaker 3: Fine, Okay, say, and if that is the belief among the Border Patrol agents, if that is the belief from the Trump administration, then that's great. And look, we had what three thousand ICE agents there last week they announced that they were pulling back seven hundred, so there was twenty three hundred left on the ground. And even still you had Mayor Jacob Fry come out and say that's still too many. We don't want twenty three hundred ICE agents here. Ice out. I'm not going to rest until ICE is gone. Well, Homan did say that, yes, ICE is leaving, but they will leave a small footprint of personnel for a periody of time to close out and transition and give control back to the field office, which is what I everyone in that state.
Speaker 2: I what local or state official said anything other than that.
Speaker 3: And yes, this is a democratic state, this has got democratic leaders. But still there was no I never heard one voice who actually lived and resided in Minnesota who said they wanted ICE to stay.
Speaker 1: No, not one, anybody. I keep doing what you're doing. It's going great. That nobody was saying that, correct. I'm not sure that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 3: I cannot think of overcall one official voice from Minnesota who is a local elected official who said that they wanted ICE to stay.
Speaker 1: And the way Homan put it, I have proposed, and President Trump has concurred that this surge operation conclude the back and forth. And I don't know what interpretation needs to be done and what back and forth I don't know robes. But if it's ending, we have to be relieved that what we've seen on the streets is not going to continue for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: Yes, and look, I think that.
Speaker 3: I understand and I think most Americans don't want laws to be in place that aren't enforced, the whole point of having a law, the whole point of having a society that is able to operate within the boundaries of laws, require consequences when people break the law. So I think there was always an ability to strike a balance here. I don't think anyone is looking to have criminals murderers. They always like to give all the different violent labels to the criminals who are also here illegal, I think everybody, And that was seemed like such an obvious compromise that they eventually reached that in your jail, are already in prison, are already in jail, are already incarcerated, take them and take them back to their home countries.
Speaker 2: That I don't that if.
Speaker 3: That was all it took for this to all wind down, it's exhausting to think that we couldn't have gotten there earlier.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, it's all exhausting to think how many injuries, how many arrests, Rerene Good, Alex Preddy dead over what because Homan wasn't there early enough. Again, I'm not saying it's putting on him. I'm just saying it sounds like he came up with a very simple solution when cooler heads prevailed and you mentioned great point, Robes, This dude is a straight shooter. No emotion, seems like everybody we heard from there was emotion in the Governor Waltz's motion, Mayor Fry obviously with his box. There's nothing but emotion coming from the President in some of his language. So Homan never been worked up during all of this. But folks, in the middle of all this, what does this mean? Now? Oh yeah, it's Thursday, you remember tomorrow shut down? Is that gonna change anything? Now that ice is leaving Minnesota?
Speaker 2: Stay here.
Speaker 1: All right? We continue here the breaking update Ice out of Minnesota. The White House, the administration has just announced through Tom Holman, the borders are, who has been the President's man on the ground there in Minnesota's for the past. We gonna have did do a press conference announce that, Yes, in fact, the Minnesota the surge is going to be ending and they're gonna be winding down operations there. Robes, Meanwhile, I'm back in Washington. Partial shut down is on tap right for midnight tomorrow night. Very partial, very specific to DHS, but it could have widespread impacts. But Robes, is this gonna change things? Now that the fight is over ICE funding. So now that ICE is going to be leaving Minnesota, will this change anything?
Speaker 2: I think that remains to be.
Speaker 1: Think you answered at the beginning, because look.
Speaker 3: They have to obviously now take all of those agents and get them back to wherever their home offices were.
Speaker 2: That all costs money, transportation costs.
Speaker 3: Are they all going to leave today before the government shuts down on Friday?
Speaker 2: In terms of being able to fund and pay.
Speaker 3: For is I didn't think about that, all of the transportation costs that are going to have to take place for I'm thinking about planes and trains and automobiles and having to get back and to leave Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: That costs money.
Speaker 3: In order to pay for that, you have to have a funded Department of Homeland Security, which it will not be as of tomorrow at midnight.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're still trying to find hopefully solutions, not sure if a main one has emerged. They do their their delicate dance, and they know how to maneuver this and that and to kick the can. But DHS is not just amount of funding ICE. We're talking about FEMA, when we're talking about TSA. Now those are organizations that will are supposed to continue operating. Those folks have to show up to work, certainly, TSA. But ro, do you want to go through this again with the TSA. You remember how fearful we all were there's a shortage where and you're shutting down airspace for how many hours because you have a staffing shortage in the tower that's getting my plane or my loved ones safely to the ground. We don't need to see it. No, they got it.
Speaker 2: They come on, we don't. And this thought bubble just popped up in my head. Can be dangerous, folks.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is I'm wondering how this announcement plays into the negotiating that's going on among members of Congress. They want these restrictions, they want tighter restrictions on ICE agents, on border patrol officers because of what happened in Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Is this a move that would actually.
Speaker 3: Make some of those Democratic lawmakers more likely to reach a compromise because they're seeing now the administration basically compromising in a sense. Now they're not saying their compromise, they're saying their job is done or their work has been done, and they've they can't they accomplished what they came into accomplish, but still they are leaving Minneapolis, which is absolutely what Democrats want it. So I'm just wondering if this plays into that, and maybe because of this move, they'll actually be able to come to an agreement and nothing.
Speaker 1: Your thought bubble, Yes, it was a cynical bubble that it was all a part of a larger, grander scheme.
Speaker 2: I mean it's possible.
Speaker 1: Fine, fine, but it's ending, folks, and I think we should all, at least and to some degree roades, be relieved that these clashes will not continue. And they're violent, and they are they're nasty, and we've seen them play out. If that's going to animal Okay.
Speaker 3: The escalation was just so difficult to watch, so watching it de escalate is just actual relief. I feel my shoulders relaxing, and I love what Homan said, and I just think this is maybe a good way to wrap this up. Homan said, I don't want to see any more bloodshed. I pray every night for the safety of law enforcement personnel and the safety of those in the community, whether you're here legally or illegally.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see anybody harmed.
Speaker 1: If those words, those should be the ones coming out the mouth of the President of the United States. That is all any of us want, is what Holman said, A respect for human life and just human dignity. It doesn't matter if you're here illegally, you're still a human being. You got to go, but we are going to treat you as a decent person as we have to escort you out. That's okay, Robes, that line, I'm gonna save it. It's going to be our quote of the day tomorrow. That line is what we need it from somebody.
Speaker 3: I got chills thinking about this. Yes, finally we have somebody. And it's not a coincidence that things are settling, de escalating and act actually feeling like America when you have someone say something that everybody can agree with. And this is exactly what we needed and who we needed. And thank god. Yes, it came too late for Alex Pretty and it came too late for Rene Good, but at least it finally came there isn't Hopefully this prevents another another tragedy which we were almost certainly headed towards. And thank god, I say thank God for Homan.
Speaker 1: And you know what, I am going to It's not his show now, but Rose, I'm gona take an opportunity every chance I get, General Honore. This country continues to owe him a debt right for what he did at Katrina. We remember how awful that world is. We can't get a bottle of water down to an American citizen in a week, and they sent this general down to New Orleans and everything changed, everything changed.
Speaker 2: He was a straight shooter.
Speaker 1: But treet It people like human beings, even if he had to give you tough news. That's Homan. These dudes remind me of each other and how they've taken over a tragedy in an American city. So are this Homan given is due?
Speaker 3: Leadership is giving everything everything.
Speaker 1: He changed everything. So just wanted to hop on and give you that breaking news update. But folks, keep an eye on what's happening on the streets of Minneapolis, and in Minnesota it should start to look a lot differently as the surge we are told is ending with that. Always appreciate you listening, folks, be honest with you. We had another something we were supposed to put on our feed, but we a lot of breaking news these days, and we are gonna try to keep you as informed as we can. Top right corner of your Apple podcast app, where you see our show page, a little button says follow click that you can always get our updates coming you way.
Speaker 3: That's right, and just so you can know, Morning Run is gonna almost be Afternoon Run, but it's coming after this. We just wanted to get on record with this breaking news story and just be on the lookout for Morning on on this Thursday. But with that, everyone, thank you for listening. I'm Amy Roeboch alongside t J.
Speaker 2: Holmes. We will talk to you very soon.