Speaker 1: What's going on? Rich Demiro here rich on Tech. You are listening to rich on Tech Live. This is the show where I answer your pressing tech questions. All you have to do is call in. Plus, we're gonna discuss some of the fun stuff that happened in the tech world throughout the week. I know everything was taken over by Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. We'll discuss some of that stuff and the privacy implications. But welcome, Welcome to the show. Thanks so much for listening. Whether you're on Facebook Live, whether you're in your car listening to the podcast, you can always subscribe. Just go to rich on tech dot tv look for the podcasts link, or just open your favorite podcasting app and search rich on Tech. We've got a lot of you listening every day. I'm very impressed with that. I've been asking you guys to leave some reviews so that other people find the podcast, and I'm happy to say that as of right now, we have Let me just make sure before I say that, I believe we are one hundred percent. Yes, we are one hundred percent five star reviews. So we've got a bunch of people that have reviewed this thing and they all say five stars. So five point zero five out of five. That means you like what I'm doing. I love to hear that. And if you want to leave a review, you can do that in the podcast app on your iPhone or through iTunes. It doesn't have to be long. You can just do short and sweet. You know, I like the show, I like what you're doing. Just let me know because that way I keep doing it. You know, it gives me fuel for the fire here. Thanks so much to everyone watching on the live broadcast, and I'm gonna talk to you guys as well. You can join the conversation. I'm gonna have a phone number in just a moment that you can call in. And so think about it. Think about what's vexing you in your life. What's happening in your life that you need to talk to someone about technology, whether it is your WiFi that doesn't work, whether it's something on your phone you're getting double notifications or double text messages, or you can't find the app that you need to do something. This is my life. This is what I talk about every day. I'm studying this stuff, and believe me, I've got a lot of stuff to share with you guys. Let's just start with Facebook, because I know it's on a lot of your minds and the privacy concerns. I was on a Serious satellite radio yesterday and for those of you who listen, thank you. It was a really cool It was my first time on Sirious and it was really cool. But we got into this really interesting conversation about Facebook and privacy, and to me, I just always assume that everyone assumed they were not private on Facebook. No matter what you exchanged on Facebook, some kind of computer or server or artificial intelligence is analyzing and scanning what you look at, or well what you look at, as well as what you're typing, what you're browsing, anything you do on there. I don't think people realize just to the extent that Facebook can also monitor things that are outside of Facebook. So when you go to a separate website and it has some Facebook functionality built into it, Facebook can also see what you do at that website, and that's something that's called the Facebook pixel. A lot of websites have it installed, and what it does is when you go to a third party website, any random website, and it has this Facebook pixel installed, it's basically sending back information about your visit to Facebook so that they can connect the two lines. So they know that rich DeMuro visited this belt website that I really like. I like these certain type of belts, and I go to that website and now that belt website goes, ooh, did he came to our website but he didn't buy anything? So let's go back to his Facebook page and let's put a little ad there for five percent off his next purchase at our belt company. Yes, if you're a marketer, that's brilliant, because now I go back to my Facebook page the next day and I go, oh, that was the belt I was looking at. Let me oh oh, and I get ten percent off. That's cool, let me buy it now. And now they just converted that sale. So a lot of this does have to do with making sales, selling you stuff, merchandising, marketing. It is scary that they can track you this closely, but the reality is this has been going on in our lives in so many different ways. It's just that Facebook has gotten really good at doing it. And I haven't even gotten into the other web companies like Google. They're the major platforms, and so these are the companies that are doing it best. And the reality is people have always been tracking us, and technology has been out there to do that. Your bank, your credit card. If you don't think your credit card is slicing and dicing the information of where you're shopping and how you're spending your money and all that kind of stuff, I mean, you're kind of fooling yourself because it's all meant to sell you more stuff. I mean, these are the kind of things that these companies do and it's not a bad thing. It really isn't. It's bad for your wallet, and if you listen to the Daily podcast, I've explained this before, it's bad for your wallet because the better they get at marketing us stuff, the more we are spending money. And in that aspect it's bad. But in other aspects it's actually not bad at all. So when you think about it, if you use Facebook Messenger to message someone, and I just never assume that those messages were private. Now, I don't think Facebook would ever put those messages in a public forum, like They're not going to share what I'm saying to my friends on the cover of the New York Times. That's not the way I imagine the privacy is when I think privacy, I think that it's private, but a server is reading and consuming that message to figure out is he talking about going to Tahiti? All right, Let's send him a Facebook ad about Tahiti because he talked about that with his friend and Facebook Messenger. To me, that was just logical. It makes sense. Why would Facebook Messenger offer a free service like that without something in return? And if you say, well, why do they have to track me? Why can't they just put ads on there that aren't linked to me, Well they don't work. If they show me an ad for Greece and I don't have any idea about wanting to go to Greece, then that person that's buying that Greek ad or that Grease ad is just wasting money because I'm not going to go there. I have nothing against Greece. I'm just using that as an example. So anyway, there you go. I'm just trying to explain a little bit more as to what these companies are doing. And if you're searching on Google, it's the same thing. They're creating a profile of you. And a lot of these companies are quick to say they don't sell your data they're not selling your data, but they are using your data so that marketers can market to you. So if I'm a person that wants to sell something on Facebook, I don't get a list of everyone that likes my company. Maybe you can get that, perhaps, but the reality is all I want is a list of let's say I'm selling, Let's see what do we want to sell. Let's say I want to sell. Let's see what can I sell a new type of a candle. Okay, so let's say I want a list of everyone on Facebook who has expressed interest in going out to nice dinners or fun little handmade items around their house, or they're into their home, or they're into maybe even gardening, because gardening might lead me to believe that you like a nice candlelight dinner. So now I'm gonna try to get I'm not going to get a list of all those people. But Facebook says, hey, we're gonna send to all those people your ad for those candles because they seem like they're interested in that kind of stuff. And the more you do on Facebook, the more they can build that profile of you. So anyway, that's I agree, And Angie says, I feel like we already knew this, and that's kind of like what I feel like. I mean, who didn't know this? Carlin says exactly, nothing is free, and Claudia says, definitely tracking our every step. Unfortunately I did not know anything anyone that isn't. Yeah, I mean that's the thing. Let's see what else do we have any Manny says, very very true. So anyway, that's it. I'm just I'm just giving you guys ideas so that you know what's happening. Phone lines are open, area code three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. I'm Rich Jumiro. You're listening to Rich on tech Live. And if you have a question, you've got something on your mind about technology, call in. You can talk to me. We'll talk you through it. What else is happening in the news. I'll talk about more Facebook in a little bit. Let's let's let Facebook breathe for a moment, but let's talk about something that is How about my next favorite topic, Apple? So Apple, you know, we talked about the HomePod on this podcast, and apparently the HomePod is not doing so well. Bloomberg out with a story that apple stumbling HomePod isn't the hot cellar it wanted. This is from Mark German. He is literally the Apple the Apple expert he is. This guy clearly has a lot of friends at Apple because he's always getting a scoop from them. And basically a couple of things that they're saying about the HomePod is that, you know, Apple was all about the quality of this device, and it does. It sounds great, but the problem is consumers didn't really necessarily care about the quality of the device. And that's a problem because realistically, when you think about the HomePod, the only thing that it works with is the Apple Music and that's just not enough for this thing to take off. Apparently, in its first ten weeks of sale, it only got ten percent of the smart speaker market, seventy three percent for Google or Amazon Echo, fourteen percent for Google Home. And those numbers are not from Apple or anyone that's from a third party, so we don't know how accurate they are. But the reality is most people are not out buying HomePods right now. It's too expensive. It only works with Apple Music. If you're an Apple ecosystem fanatic, then it's a great buy. Otherwise, if you're into Spotify or anything else, it's a really tough buy. All right, let's go to the phone line. We've got five six to two on. We've got five six two you're on with Rich. Hello. Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: Rich is David Hughes out of lake Wood.
Speaker 1: Hey, David, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good? Thank you?
Speaker 1: How's the good morning? How's the show? How's the show looking? Today's everything technically? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got it up on the Facebook live page. I'm streaming good audio problems.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, just making sure? All right? What can I help you with today?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: So two questions for you. First one is the Samsung S nine phone. When are they gonna be coming out with S ten phone? And should I wait for that?
Speaker 1: I would not wait for the S ten because the S nine just came out. I mean you're talking. What was it March March fourteenth? I think it went on sale. So it just went on sale. We're we're in April, so it's only a month old. Everything about the S nine I think they did a really nice job with So what do you have right now? I want to say, okay, sir on a seven? So I think when you the seven was a really nice upgrade from the six because the six had a lot of battery problems. I think the seven was a nice smoothing out of all those problems. The seven, the thing I like about it is it still has the fingerprint reader on the front right, so it's a good position underneath the screen. The eight they really messed up on because they put the fingerprint reader on the back, but they put it in a really bad position. So I'm glad you skipped the eight. The nine they actually put the fingerprint reader in the right position, and I would say when it comes to a Samsung device, this is about as perfect as it gets. The only thing I could see improvement for at this point on the Samsung device is some software improvements. Although I think the software has gotten really good. It's really just maybe the front facing camera and that's it. I've seen some stumbles in the software when it comes to the smoothness of it. But I really think the S nine is probably the perfect Android phone at this point. Unless you're looking at their devices. What's the most important thing you're looking for and you're Android.
Speaker 3: Well, I use it a lot for work, so just reliability for performance, you know, I came from originally with a motorola and it crashed ONMMI and then I jumped to the five, and then I went to the five to the seven, so I jumped versions. So ever since I had the five, I really liked it. I've been sticking with it since then.
Speaker 1: The only other phone that I would recommend you take a look at is, uh, the one Plus. Have you heard of this one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So the reason I like the one Plus is because it really does a nice job with their phone. It's five hundred bucks, it's a beautifully designed phone, it's got a great screen, it's got a it's got a good camera. I wouldn't say it's the best camera in the world, but it's gonna it's gonna be a capable camera, and you really don't you The software is just unbelievable. So that's really where this kind of I think is ahead of the Samsung. The Samsung there's a lot of there's a lot of stuff on there, but there's a lot of extra up on there sometimes that you don't necessarily need, whereas the one Plus has a lot of nice software features, but it's not a lot of stuff that you don't need. So I would take a look at that and otherwise the pixel the Pixel two I really like as well, except I think the pixel too xcel is a little bit too big, and I think the Pixel two is a little bit too small. And you also kind of lose a lot of features on the pixel like wireless charging, the extra storage capacity, so things like that. So I like, and the screen is better on the S nine. So you said you had two questions. What's the second question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, the other one's always about Wi Fi ringty. Once again, we always have Wi Fi issues and they get an extend an only sends in one room gaming and we have an extender if he's not getting strong enough signal, So we're looking to do something else to get our signal boosted on.
Speaker 2: Our Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Well, the one thing I recommend is it's a system called EO E E R O. If you've listened to the podcast, you've definitely heard me talk about it. The thing about EO is it's unbelievable. I mean I recommended it to a cowork the other day and he bought it immediately, and it was shipped to his house through Amazon immediately, and he just couldn't believe how good it was. And this this is really, if you want the best WiFi in your house, Ero is the way to go. The only downside to it is twofold. It's a startup, so it could go out of business, but I don't anticipate that. I think that a company would at least buy the technology from them because it's so good and they kind of they kind of they invented this technology. So it's four hundred dollars for a starter system or I guess the best selling system. You can get it as cheap as two ninety nine, let's see, and then you can get little individual ones for one fifty. But I would say check out euro that's gonna be your absolute best case scenario. Then the other one that's good is Netgear ORB. So people really like that one. I have not tested it personally, but it's a it's a very popular system. It comes from Netgear, which is a big networking company. That one's good, and then the other one to look at is Google Wi Fi, which a lot of people like as well. The problem with Google Wi Fi is that Google is very haphazard in kind of their continuing projects. So this is a great product, but Google kind of is all over the place when it comes to support in the long term, so they may stop making this, they may forget about it. But this one is really good as well. So those are the three I recommend taking a look at, but don't go with a booster or extender anymore. I don't recommend those because they just don't work for today's systems and today's gadgets. We're much more. We've moved past those those types of systems. Now there's just a lot more stress on what we need.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, Thank you very much for great David.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for calling in appreciate it. Thanks for calling the show. Phone lines are open if you'd like to get in. The phone number is three one zero five nine four three zero zero three. Now's a good time to tell you about my favorite case. I've been buying this case for every phone that I ever use. I just love this case. So I'm telling you guys about it. Not sponsored. This is just one of the I just love this case, and I've purchased it for a couple of the phones I use regularly, and I just got this one. This is basically it's called the Spec Presidio Grip, and I just love the way this case fits on your phone. There's a on the iPhone ten. It's super grippy. You just can't It's just amazing the way it fits onto your phone. It doesn't make your phone too big. And the grips. You've got these little grips on the edges that literally make you never drop your phone ever. So I love that aspect of it. Spec. I can, you know, I forgot, I keep forgetting that I could actually comment on these things. So let me let me put this in the comments so you guys can actually see what I'm talking about. But that's the Spec Presidio grip. I don't think that you can click on it from you can click on it from there, all right. Anyway, that's a really nice case, so I highly recommend that. And JT says, does the case come in clear? I, you know, I don't know. I don't know if it comes in the grip. I think it just comes in colors in the grip. But they have Spec Presidio without the grip. But I think that if you're gonna go with the Spec Presidio, you gotta get the grip. And Angie says she got one for my S nine. It's sleek. I haven't dropped it once and that that's really nice. All right, let's go to the phone lines. Uh eight, let's see what was this? Eight oh one? You're on with Ritch? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 4: Hey, Rich, this is Steve. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oh? I'm doing fantastic, Steve. It's a Saturday.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, tell me what dun Fox thirteen all the time. And then I travel to California for work and see you on KTLA.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so funny. So Fox thirteen Salt Lake City. That's a great station. And it's funny when people travel because most people we don't make a big deal of the fact that I'm on a bunch of different stations. So people can be watching on KTLA and have no idea. But then they travel to other cities and they're like, oh is my hotel room and I saw you, So thanks for watching on Fox thirteen. That's pretty cool. I love Carry and Dan over there. What's going on?
Speaker 4: You know? I'm curious and maybe this is just wishful thinking, but do you ever see the headphone jack coming back to the iPhone?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: That is wishful thinking, don't I don't see that happening. Here's the thing I mean, we have to look at Apple's past. So Apple has a history of getting rid of things on their devices and being the first to get rid of them and never looking back. So when you think about I think the DVD player was probably the first thing that they got rid of on the MacBook and literally people went nuts, myself included I'm like, how could you live without a DVD player or a DVD burner or a DVD recorder whatever? And to me, that was just insane. You remember that, right? And the other thing, the other thing Apple never did on their laptops. Everyone went to a Blu ray player on their laptops and Apple said, no, we're not doing that, and everyone was like, wait, are you crazy? How could you not Blu rays the next generation? But Apple has their reasons for things and the reason why they ditched the DVD players. They wanted to push everyone to digital movies. They wanted to create less piracy. They also saw people burning DVDs less I'm sure their data showed that, or sharing DVDs or whatever it was. They just knew that they could do without those and people would be fine. And I actually bought the external I have it somewhere in here my h.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got an external with the Blu ray burner that I love you thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got my Trustee external you know, Mac computer Player Blue DVD. I think this is a burner too. I'm sure it is. Haven't used it in a while, but you know, I bought one of those, so I had to have the external because you know, it's like, how can I do without it? And now we just realized we don't really think about DVDs as much as we used to do. There's still a place for them, but we just don't use them as much as we did. Then we had USB ports. They kind of let made less of those, and they started even on this new MacBook I have, I have only USBC and they got rid of my SD card slot, which I was also angry about. So Apple just has a history of doing this and they like to streamline their products. When you look at their products, there's not much going on now. The interesting thing is that the new iPad that just came out does have a headphone jack, so they have not ditched it on the iPad, So I think when they think about the use case on the iPad, they're thinking, Okay, well, people are watching a lot of movies on there. Maybe not everyone has a pair of Bluetooth headphones, so it's interesting that they're doing two different things. But on the iPad there's also more space inside for components, and Apple has always argued that on the iPhone, they're trying to maximize the space inside for other stuff and that's why they got rid of the headphone jack.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, or what were you gonna have?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, why do you want the headphone jack back? Because I've kind of gotten used to not having it. But I do still like it myself as well, because I like being able to have that default of my headphones aren't charged or I just you know, sometimes you're on a plane, you don't feel like dealing with all the stuff. You just want to plug in, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm still clinging to my iPhone SIXSS actually, but so I haven't dealt with that. But my wife teaches a lot of fitness classes and she says it's such a pain dealing with a dong dole and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I always I always see that in the fitness classes I go to that they literally have like the iPhone with like, you know, ten different things because they've got to charge it at the same time as the you know, you got to get a connector you know that has like to both. It's such a pain.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, it reminds me of driving in my dad's Cadillac with an A track player and having an a track to cassette converter and then a cassette to CD converter.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, wow. Well, I remember there was a point that's a little bit before my time, but there was a point when a cassette, a cassette to like external like a three point five millimeters was like all the rage, you know. And I remember when I wanted to get serious satellite radio, I wanted a clean install so I did not want to have to use the cassette to three point five inch jack. So I spent like the most money of my life at the time, which I think was probably like two hundred dollars on getting like a best buy installation where they went through and they did the FM uh what was it FM modulator where they installed it behind my radio. Oh, and to me that was like living large at the time. That was like the best I was like, this is unbelievable. This is high tech and now, of course, you know, you plug your iPhone and you're Android in it's like just a world ahead of that, right, right.
Speaker 4: So a lot of people talk about broadcast TV going away as we see it and everything going to streaming. I studied broadcast journalism when I was in college, which was a little while back. But to me that seems a little bit forward thinking. I don't see it happening as quickly as some people say. I think physical media is not dead yet, but I don't know I would you have any insight into.
Speaker 1: That specifically, what like what the future broadcast?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, if we're really going to lose big network seasons of TV and you're just it's just going to go to all subscribe, like a lot of people are saying, oh, Star Trek Discovery is the way of the future. And then a lot of people really like Fox of the Whorville because it's actually broadcast and it's free, right versus a subscription based.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's kind of weird because you're you're you're you're speaking in terms of like our entire society. You know, It's like there used to be a time you know, the whole water cooler conversation, which is kind of It's interesting when things bubble up to the level of people all knowing about them. That's pretty rare these days, like a big show Like remember when Cereal the podcast was pretty big and everyone was talking about that, you know, and it was really interesting that people were talking about something that wasn't on a broadcast, and it wasn't It was mass available, but it wasn't available in a mass way, you know what I mean, Like it didn't air on broadcast. So nowadays it's like these little things bubble up to the top. I say, because there's so many things out there. You ask anyone, Hey, what what shows are you watching, and they can tell you five shows that you've never heard of, and there's probably one show of overlap that you have heard of. So do I think broadcast is going away? I think over the long term, I think we're going to see a lot of evolution, But I don't think it's going away. I remember when TVO first came out back in two thousand and everyone spelled doom and gloom for everything when it came to TV. Now, I think TVO changed the fabric of television but we still have TV pretty much the same way that we had it in two thousand, which is a show broadcast on TV over the air, and yes, now it's available in a million different on demand ways and on DVR, but it's still broadcasts like Survivor. I don't think that's still on anymore. Maybe it is, but that was the first show that I DVRD back in the day on my TVO, and I thought it was so crazy that I could skip through the commercials, but I still watched it pretty quick to the day that it aired because I wanted to be up to date on that show. So I just think things are evolving in a in a pretty rapid way. But I think we have a pretty long runway before things change in where NBC, CBS, ABC, nightly news those kind of things are gone. I don't think that's happening right away, especially because news is still one of the news in sports are still two of the most most popular things that happen live. So but shows shows, I think a lot of that has changed, and uh, you know, especially Netflix launching shows all at once, that changed the game again. So it's it's really it's really crazy when you think about what's happening and how things will still continue to change.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my favorite ti Vo box that I had was made by Samsung and it had a built in DVD burner on it, so things.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I always hope that they would do a blu ray burner and they never did.
Speaker 1: That was the one I always wanted. I never got that one, but that I had. Almost every Tvo accept that model. I think that model was really expensive, like cause I remember my first TV I paid eight hundred dollars for and they they were pretty expensive throughout the years, but they got cheap. They got really cheap after a while. But I love the Tvo and the idea of burning to DVD, you know what, Hold on, I'm wait a second. I did have one that burned to DVD now that I think about it, but it was not a Samsung. I don't think. Do they have another model that burned to DVD. I don't remember, because I remember I actually have a bunch of my I lived in Shreveport at the time. I was a reporter there and I have a bunch of my air checks that I would offload to the DVD for later. But the problem is the way they formatted it to the DVD Like now, I just have them all and I can't really rip them because it's it's in like this weird format. I got to look at those again. But I did have one with a burner on it, but I just don't remember. It was not Samsung. Maybe it was. It's been a while, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting. Well, sorry to dominate your time. I love your segment, bitch.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks, Steve, I appreciate it. Thanks for watching out there in Salt Lake, and when you're here in LA, thanks for calling in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, take care, all right, bybye?
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it. All right. I'm gonna take a quick break real quick, just to do some some housekeeping on the Facebook Live side, but I'll be back. You're listening to Rich on tech Live. I'll be right back after this. Welcome back to rich on tech Live. I'm Rich Demiro, your host. Rich on tech dot Tv is the place to go if you want to listen to this podcast, subscribe or see links to anything I mentioned. I do a pretty good job of putting the links to things that we've talked about here. Let's go back to the phone lines seven to zero. You're on with Rich who am I speaking with? All Right, Rich, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 2: It's good. It was great seeing you at.
Speaker 1: C Yes, it's been gosh four months since then.
Speaker 2: And great show at NAP this year. Everything was eight Oh my gosh from Korea and it was spectacular and doing all sorts of different video changes to video as it's live for like sporting events and everything.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting, like what amazing?
Speaker 2: Amazing like sporting events. In the middle of a lie clip, you can change the different view of the picture. Okay, yeah, that type of thing, you know, like Intel, Intel was doing where you're live and can change where you are in the stadium.
Speaker 1: That's always been kind of the dream of these sports broadcasts is to kind of, you know, make it more kind of user driven where they can do things. But we've seen a lot of we've seen a lot of things trying you know, we've seen a lot of companies try to do that. I don't think anyone has sort of mastered it yet, but definitely when that happens, that's that's a huge market right there, because people, you know, they they let's say you have a favorite player and you just want to learn more about them, see what they're doing see their stats or whatever at any given time. That's the kind of stuff that will really help with that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we're in the in the Futures Park area and they were demonstrating it all and I go, here we go. They're gonna beat us out at that too. It was amazing. And then uh AR was packed all over the place, all the boosts that we're doing AR more than VR. I was surprised.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I think, uh yeah, I think there's a place for both. But I personally, I like, I don't. I think VR is amazing. I think AR is cool. It's like a good like wading into the waters, you know. And they both have, like I said, they both have their augmented reality. If you're listening and you're wondering what we're talking about here, augmented reality is when they kind of add something to the world around you, but you still see the world around you, whereas virtual reality is more like your entire existence is happening in a computer generated world. So that's that's the differentiator that I explained last thing.
Speaker 2: Last thing on Facebook. I didn't never bother to follow up on this. When they put pixels on different sites and everything, do they make like any affiliate link, Facebook or any money by having somebody place a pixel, by them placing a pixel on your heade no.
Speaker 1: Because usually it's the website operator that's placing the pixel. And I'm trying to remember, I don't think they make any money doing that. I think that it's it's more for the relationship of the website to kind of figure out. Yeah, it's like, let's say I own a belt website. I want to be able to tap into Facebook's marketing data by kind of figuring out who's coming to my website. And then what they do is they call it similar audiences. So okay, let's say, all, let's say ten thousand people come to my belt website, and now I have the Facebook pixel. It knows exactly who those ten thousand people are on Facebook. And then Facebook says, well, here's another ten thousand people that are exactly like them. You can market to them because they're very similar to the people that just came to your website. And that's how the magic works, and that's the information marketers are kind of buying from Facebook. It's really fascinating when you think about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so then it's a paid service. The marketers are buying it from Facebook.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean it's not. You don't just to see the data that's being collected from your website. You don't have to pay to do that, but you do have to pay. Yeah, you only have to pay if you want to kind of do a marketing plan against that data, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, yeah. I'm surprised that a piece of technology got buy me. Can you believe it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. You are you're You're better than me on some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's the thirty five years from IBM. That doesn't that'll do it.
Speaker 1: How is it in Vegas today?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Windy as usual, Yeah, and sunny. And before we moved here, I always said, why is it every time I fly into Vegas is clear and sunny, but yet the plane goes all over the place.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that every time. It's like I've I've actually stopped flying into Vegas as much because I'm like, I'm sick of that flat landing. It's like, oh my gosh, it looks beautiful out, but it's like you're being whipped all around exactly.
Speaker 2: And now I was flying in for like twenty years that couldn't figure it out. And now that I moved here and retired and going and now I understand that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's not just me because my wife for a while she was like refusing to fly in there because she was just sick of it. And I was like, it's pretty bad, but not like you know, I mean, clearly it works. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Well you get an autonomous car.
Speaker 1: And you're okay, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: They have that.
Speaker 2: They have that Tesla service for eighty nine dollars that will go back and forth, which was great. I tried it once.
Speaker 1: Or did you really you took the Tesla because we did a story on it. I did not take it. They kept asking me to take it to Vegas. I was a little hesitant in being in a car for five hours with someone else driving, but or a combination of a human and Tesla driving. But what'd you think of it?
Speaker 2: It was outstanding. You know. They had drinks in there and a lot of connections, so you were all connected all the week, got a lot of work done. Really, and now they go to Irvine, where I used to live, so it's perfect to go to Burbank, Irvine and Palm Springs.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Yeah, here it is. It's a test loop and basically you just you book a seat in the car. I think there's what there's four, four seats available or no, three seats available, three because they've got the driver, and then three. So right now, they've got Los Angeles to San Diego, Los Angeles to Palm Springs, Los Angeles to Orange County, Orange County to San Diego, Orange County to Palm Springs, Palm Springs and Las Vegas. I don't know what that means. Palm Springs and Las Vegas. I guess they're yeah, shuttle interesting. All right, well thanks for the call. All right, j do you go by Joe or JT?
Speaker 2: Either one? Because they couldn't get my web mail. I'm sorry, my web site under Joe. I went to JT.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, well I'll call you JT because that's how I see a show up on Facebook. So JT. I will talk to you soon, okay, Yeah, take care of all right, bye bye bye. All right, Let's take some of the questions that I'm seeing on the chat room. Hey, Rich, what was the website that you can check with internet services to see when you're moving to a new area. That website is all Connect A L L C, O, N N, E C T dot com and let's see here. I'll just put this on the screen so you can see it. This is now Here's the thing. I think that all connect is sort of owned by the cable and satellite companies. I don't really know. Let's see about us. But the point is it does help you put in your address and your phone number and everything, and they do that. It used to be called white fence, I think, but I don't know. I mean it's anyway. It helps you just put in the you put in let's see a red Ventures company. Yeah, so I don't know. I don't know. It doesn't maybe it's not owned by them. Anyway. You put in your your address that you're you're moving to, or your home address, and it gives you all the providers in your area, which is really cool. I love this website. I recommend it to everyone, and you can look up let's see bundles internet TV, home phone. Oh my gosh, I should I tell you guys about my experience. I just I had to call Spectrum to negotiate my rate because it went up from forty five to sixty five dollars a month, and oh my gosh, that was not a nice conversation. I was not happy with them. I'll be honest they I got a guy in Texas and the first thing he does is try to get some information out of me about like how many gadgets I use and you know, how many how much Internet I use, and what my needs are. So immediately he was like, well, we don't do any deals anymore. So I was like, uh, that can't be true. A lot of the people I talked to tell me that they are paying forty five dollars a month, which is what I'm paying, and I'd like to keep paying that, but they bumped it to sixty five. Long story short, we went around and around. The best he did was fifty five bucks a month, so I got ten dollars off for the next year. But the funny thing is he tried to upsell me to the three hundred, which was going to be I think eighty dollars a month, and I was like, I don't really think I need so I called to save money and the guy's trying to sell me on more service, and I'm like dude, come on, like customer service one on one. I get it, you're trying to make a sale. But the things he was saying I thought were a little bit weird because he was kind of like not making fun of me, but he was kind of like telling me stuff that I knew wasn't true. He was like, well, and I guess it would be true for certain people. But he was like, well, if you change your internet to a different provider, which I said, you know, I can get AT and T here and it's the same price. Blah blah blah. He's like, well, if you change, you're gonna have to change all your gadgets and it's a you know, it's a pain. And I forget if he made fun of their service whatever he did, but my point is I was and I didn't say, you know, look, I do tech for a living. I don't really reveal that stuff. But it was just funny to kind of call as a regular person and hear what he's saying to someone that knows a lot about technology and to get the stuff that he's trying to sell people on. Anyway, long story, Shore ended up saving ten dollars, so I got to fifty five a month. I said, are you in the retention department and he said, we don't have a retention department anymore, which, come on, that's not true. They of course they have retention apartment. So I'm happy with it. I was gonna pay twenty dollars extra a month. I'm now paying ten dollars extra. I hate to see my bills go up, as we all do, but at the same time, I'm fining fifty five bucks a month. He told me I used nine hundred. The best part was at the end he was like, well, you know, you used nine hundred gigabytes last month, which I think sounded like a lot. I don't feel like I used nine hundred gigabytes, but I guess I did, so my kids must be watching a lot of Netflix. So he was like, well, you know, you use nine hundred gigabytes, So I think paying fifty or sixty five dollars a month for nine hundred gigabytes of Internet is pretty good. And I'm like, I really couldn't challenge him on that. I was like, yeah, because I pay about two hundred de verison every month for like, you know, unlimited data, which is really twenty gigs a month. So I really couldn't challenge him on that when he got me there, Anthony says on Facebook chap, Hey, Rich, what do you think of the Lynxis developed home home mesh Wi Fi system pack of three?
Speaker 2: And?
Speaker 1: Uh, you know, I think it's fine. I think that my favorites I've gone over this is Ero is my favorite E E R O. Then i'd say Google Wi Fi and Netgear orby. I don't have experience with the Lynxis, but uh, I think that you'll you'll probably be okay with them. Let's see, Lynxus is the one that's uh, I think that's the one that's owned by Belkin, right, yeah, it is okay. So Lynxus is owned by Belkan and you know they just got purchased. So I think you'll be fine with it. But I would check out the three that I recommend. Three one, Oh you're on with Rich? Three win, Oh you're on with Rich? Who am I speaking with?
Speaker 5: Julian Melendez? I've speak to you last time?
Speaker 1: Hey? How you doing?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 5: I do some looking at your life?
Speaker 1: Are you where are you calling from?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Culver City? That's right, okay?
Speaker 5: How you doing going good? Quick question on your own Speczone Internet ye cable, and I was thinking to change it, but I have the Riz and files and drug TV Geny and they told me I could switch over, but the direct with that time spectrum apps, you don't get that much channels. But they told me to add four cable boxes for four rooms. Let's make any difference or known, what are.
Speaker 1: You trying to do? What's what's the problem with what you have right now?
Speaker 5: The Drug TV Geny updating is not and my Directivity is messing up a lot. I don't know the update or messing.
Speaker 1: Up, and so you're just not happy with the quality of the service. Basically no costing us so much. And do you have four rooms that you have connected to the Genie?
Speaker 5: Yes, it's all wireless.
Speaker 1: And it's all wireless, okay, I mean yeah. Oh here's the thing. I mean, if you switch over, it's it's kind of a big switchover because they have to come to your house and make sure they install the cable boxes in each room. I would if you have FiOS, if you have Frontier FiOS Internet that's the Internet, Well maybe you should call them and see if they can give you TV as well, because then you're on one plan. It'll probably be a lot cheaper if you do it that way.
Speaker 5: I would think, Yeah, you've been including with their cell phone too. Oh, but I don't know if they have wireless, but I don't think they would run company. No, I don't think that network they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dish network and a lot of them might have like a bundle with wireless, but if they're not providing the service. But I would if I were you, I would call uh. I would call FiOS, which is owned by Frontier now in our area, and I would I would just ask them, Hey, give me the price on four TVs for you know, with the DVR service. They've got the same thing where the DVR works in all the four TVs. I know people are mixed about Frontier and FiOS, so I'm just telling you I don't have experience with them except for what I know from a corporate level. But I know it was a big growing pain when they switched over in southern California to Spectrum or to FiOS from Verizon to Frontier. But it's been a couple of years now. So and Carlos is saying on the Facebook live chat he doesn't like the wireless Genie boxes the menus are really slow to react to the remotes, so that's interesting. I had a Genie. It wasn't bad. When I had it, I thought it was fine, but I didn't really watch it. I didn't really use my direct TV that much, so I did have it for a while. But I would do that. I would call up the I would call the FiOS and ask them to just give you a price on what you can do with that, and see what they say, and then compare that to what I guess if you have yeah, I mean that's your only option really, so I would do that versus going to anything else. I think that's a good question. But thanks so much for calling. I think that that's Uh. It's tough because most people are kind of calling to cancel their cable, and when they hear you that you want to add four TVs, I think they're they're like, Okay, let's give this guy a deal, because clearly we're losing a lot of customers right now to just kind of the internet customers. And I think that they like when they hear that you want to connect all those TVs, so I think they'll come over there and do that pretty well. All right, Rich Demiro Rich on tech dot TV. You're listening to Rich on tech Live. I just wanted to talk about one thing real quick here. Spotify and Hulu they teamed up. We'll take We have time for one more call. By the way, three one oh five nine four three zero zero three. Spotify and Hulu teamed up, so now they've got If you're a Spotify Premium customer, you can now add Hulu for effectively three dollars a month, which is pretty good if you want to get the Hulu programming, which has like seventy five thousand shows. If you're into like current TV shows, like a lot of the sitcoms and stuff that air or dramas, Hulu's really good for that. And of course a lot of people like that show, The Handmaid's Tale. I've not seen it, but a lot of people love that show. So if you have Spotify Premium, you're already paying the ten dollars a month for that. You can add sp Hulu to your plan for three dollars a month, so it's twelve ninety nine for both. I'm on the family plan with Spotify, I pay fifteen dollars. They are not allowing the family plan to add Hulu because I'd probably add it for three bucks a month. That's a pretty darn good deal. If you have it right now. You can do a ninety nine cent promotional deal, so you can try the Hulu for three months for ninety nine cents, So that's pretty good. The thing I don't like about Hulu Limited, which is what they're giving you, the limited plan still has commercials and have I mean, it's fine if you get to sit through limited commercials, but you're still paying for the commercials, so you're paying three dollars to sit through those commercials. But that's pretty good. So Glenda says, what if you already have Hulu. If you already have Hulu, you're gonna have to cancel Hulu and then sign up again through this special link to get the new product. So but you have to have you have to have Spotify Premium. Okay, so real quick, I want to talk about one thing real quick before we go, because I thought that this is I'm getting so many questions about this thing. So this is the Facebook BFF thing everyone's asking me about. If you type BFF on Facebook, does it? Hold on? Let me get the article here, because this is okay, so the article there's a big thing going around on Facebook. People are saying Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, invented the word BFF, which is stupid and not true. To make sure your account is safe on Facebook, type bff in a comment. If it appears green, your account is protected. If it does not appear in green, change your password immediately because it will be hacked. So stupid, I mean, clearly that's not true. Anyway, So you see when you do that and what happens there. So my point is, there's a lot of other things you can type. These are little graphics that Facebook puts in there, and let's see here, I gotta figure out how to get rid of this thing because I just did this. Okay, So anyway, Facebook puts a lot so other things you can do. By the way, you can type in you're the best, and that will also do some flying stars. You can type in best wishes and you get two hands that unfold with colorful shapes flying up to the screen. Okay, you can let's see. Okay, here we go delete, there we go. Okay, let's see what else can you do? You can do this an article, by the way, I'm reading off on medium, I'll send you, guys, the link you can do you've got this and or you can do it and you'll get some thumbs up emoji bounces. You can do rad that will give you a flurry of thumbs up emojis. You can do congrats and you'll get a bunch of balloons and confetti. Or you can do XO and you'll get a bunch of small hearts. So kind of cool to try all these different things, because they don't are you guys? Now, I see you're commenting these things, but are they working on my Facebook Live? Because I don't think they work on the Facebook Live. You have to do them on someone's comment, right, all right, So Lisa is asking what is the safest way to save photos? And it's a fantastic question. So I will tell you what I do. Your results may vary, you may want to do it, but I'll tell you the system that you should be using for your photos. Okay, So number one, you take a photo. Most of us are taking our pictures on our cell phones, so that's the first place you want to make sure that you have your pictures backed up on your phone. Okay, So that means you can use iCloud. If you have Apple, you can use iCloud. So if you turn on iCloud, make sure that you say optimize photos on my phone because otherwise you're gonna run out of space on your phone before you can put all your pictures into iCloud. So you need to go into settings and make sure that you have a setting that's on called optimize iPhone Storage for Photos. Okay, that's going to enable you to do this. That's gonna enable you to see all your pictures on your iPhone, but some of them are going to be stored up in the cloud. So that means you can have twenty thousand pictures in your photo collection on your phone, but they're not really residing on your phone. Okay, So that's number one, So you have to do that. So you've got iPhone, you've got iicloud, that's good. Number two if you're using that system, you still want your pictures backed up in a secondary place. So this could be as easy as every month you download a copy of all your pictures to your computer and you have them on there as well. You always want your pictures in two places. That's the name of the game, because if one place goes down, the other place is going to be your backup savior. And believe me, it doesn't happen often, but it could and you want to make sure. So you can get an external hard drive. You can get something called the ie expand this is a really simple way to do it. This is from sand Disk and you can get this thing, plug it into your plug it into your iPhone and every once in a while just download your pictures to there. But again you have to have them in two places. So you can do iCloud plus the I expand flash drive, or you can do iCloud plus Google Photos, which is what I do. So I do well, I do Google Photos plus something else. So you can do Google Photos. And Google Photos is a free app. You put that on there, And Pauline is saying, what if you don't use Apple, Then if you don't use Apple, my choice is Google Photos. So that's where you want to go. And Google Photos is free, one hundred percent free. You put your photos in there and it will back up as many pictures as you have forever for free. And it's amazing, it's searchable, it's free. You don't have to think about it. If you don't want to use Google because somehow you don't like Google. You can use Flicker, and again, Flicker has an app that you can put on your phone and that's gonna let you upload all the pictures. Now, you only get a thousand gigs, which is one terabyte, so they are limit but for most people a thousand gigs should be fine. Amazon Photos that's another one. If you are an Amazon customer and you have Amazon Prime, you can use Amazon Photos for free and you get unlimited photo storage as well. If you don't have Prime, you get five gigs, So I don't recommend it. If you don't have Prime. I mean, you could use it up to five gigs, but that's that's pretty small. But if you have Prime, you're gonna get unlimited. So again, you need your photos in two places. One of these apps, which I just mentioned a bunch of them. You can do Amazon, you can do Google Photos, or you can do or you can do One Drive. That's another one. You just have to pick one. But you got to have it in two places, So have it on your phone, on a backup drive and in one of these places. So because your phone is going to run out of storage, so you really want to have you really want to have your photos in different place, and yes, Lisa, you can. Once your photos are in Amazon Phone Photos, then you click that optimized storage button and then you can do that. You don't really you want to make sure that these things are in a different place. I've seen way too many people lose their photos because they're not syncing them, they're not backing them up, they don't have them backed up in two places. But you have to do that. And Angie is saying, I need to save all my Facebook photos. Go to Facebook, go to Facebook Tools. It's called Facebook Download my Data. Download Download Data. And all you have to do is download all your data. It will give you a copy of all your pictures and then you can upload them to your cloud storage and you can do that from the web. You can do that in a lot of different places. So all right, thanks so much for listening to the podcast. We're done for now. Facebook people. Stick around for your special giveaway, but we're done with the podcast. Thanks so much for listening. Let's see, I've got my little notes here that I want to talk about. So if you like listening to the podcast, you will love listening to me on the radio. I'll be filling in for Leo Laporte The Tech Guy on KFI and all of his radio stations nationwide pretty much doing this show on April twenty eighth and twenty ninth, So listen from eleven am to two pm. If you're in Los Angeles, it's KFI AM six forty. If you're anywhere else in the US, just go to tech Guy Labs dot com and you can search for a station near you. So if you want to listen live, you can do it that way, or you can listen online as well. That way you can do it again. I'll be filling in for Leo Laporte The Tech Guy April twenty eighth and twenty ninth, eleven am to two pm Pacific KFI and Los Angeles, or you can go to tech Guy Labs dot com. If you like this show, you can listen to the Daily podcast. Daily podcast is much shorter, It's only five minutes, and I talk about something in the tech world every day, whether it's a new app, whether it's news, whether it's something I just want to give more perspective on. But that's every day. Just go to your favorite podcasting app and search Rich on Tech and you can subscribe to the podcast. I've got lots of you listening there. I love that you guys are listening there. I really do appreciate it. This show that you just listen to is from the Facebook Live, so I turn my Facebook lives into the podcast once a week. It's a longer form question and answer, so if you don't tune in on Facebook, you can always just listen to the podcast that way.
Speaker 2: So do that.
Speaker 1: I love you guys, And also, if you like the podcast, leave a review for me on the podcasting app, especially Apples, because that's where most people listen. But if you're on Android you can subscribe as well. You can subscribe in let's see pocket Casts is my favorite Android podcasting app. Or by the way, if you have a Google phone, all you have to do is say, okay, Google, listen to Rich on Tech podcast and next thing you know, it'll start playing my podcast. So if you want to listen to the daily podcast that way, all you have to do is that. And if you're on Alexa, you can do the same thing. Okay, Google, stop, my Google Home is reacting to me. You can listen on Alexa. You can just add me to your flash briefing or you can also listen on the iPhone. All you have to say is hey, Siri, listen to the rich on Tech podcast and you can listen to that daily. So so many different ways to do it, and it's really fun. I love being in all these different places, So thanks so much for listening. Serious satellite Radio that was I'll be on there regularly. It's on channel forty five, but I'll give you guys the heads up when I'm doing that. That's a new thing, so I'll let you know when that happens again. There you have it. Rich on tech dot tv is the place to go for links to everything I mentioned here. Please share this with the world. I do appreciate you guys giving me all those thumbs up. If you want to share this real quick right now in your Facebook feed. I appreciate that too. The more shares and the more likes I get, the more they show it to other people in the feed. And Facebook, as you know, is showing stuff to weigh less people nowadays, so it's harder to get that reach. You guys really have to give those thumbs up and those heart emojis for me to get seen by more people. All right, that's gonna do it for now. I'm rich Demiro. Thanks so much for listening. I'll talk to you real soon.
Speaker 3: M