Speaker 1: This crowd rises to its being what Carl slammed it out?
Speaker 2: Carl left wing free ball.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Darl b pop then hell left block the shot at the rim. How it's the left hand head of fowl.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Chase Doown Podcast, part of the Caves Media family. I'm your host, Justin Rowan. The Chase Down was presented by Fubo, the official streaming partner of the Calves. Watch over three hundred and fifty channels of live sports and TV, including FanDuel Sports Network without cable. There's no cost and no commitment. Try for free at FuboTV dot com Slash Calves. The Indiana Pacers struck first against the Calves, stealing home court in game one, and the Calves might be a little worse for wear as a result of it. Joining me today to discuss this is my co host, Carter Rodriguez.
Speaker 4: Carter, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 2: I think it's our first. Our pets are our pets heads are falling off of the year, you know, pretty good to make it to May, uh before we have one of those overall, though, you know, uh, Calves Land less pleasant than it's been for the last couple of weeks. But I did just have a nice anniversary trip with my wife to New York. So you know, there's pros and cons in this life. Yeah, you win some, you lose some, and we got to win for ourselves.
Speaker 3: Here making his return to the podcast from ninety two three to the Fan as well, now doing pre and postgame coverage for Rock Entertainment Sports Network.
Speaker 4: Anthony lia Lima, Tony, how you doing.
Speaker 1: Buddy, guys, It's an honor. I'm not gonna sit here and act like I'm scared. I'm not gonna act like our pets heads are falling off. Although if you listen to some people, you would think that there might have been more Utah jazz available after Rudy Gobert gave everybody the COVID a few years ago. I mean, what happened? What happened? The negativity as if we still don't have, you know, pretty good players and a pretty good superstar who I've seen score fifty on one leg before in the playoffs. So I am I'm not going to be deterred until maybe I see that injury report officially tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the injury report is a little scary. I think it's important to keep in mind that even if every questionable player does not play, and you know that would be a serious blow, you'd be losing basically, you know, the driving force of your offense, and Darius Garland the driving force of your defense, and Evan Mobley. You would still be out there with an all starbuck guard and an all star big man. And that is pretty much the roster construction of the Indiana Pacers. And you have a very good home court crowd. But before we get into what went wrong in game one and kind of look ahead to this series, let the people know what you've been doing with that Rock Entertainment Sports Network or I guess you know one game in to that experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't screw it up too bad in the opener, although some lady that showed up at the set, which is right there in the atrium over at Rocket Arena, when she found out who I was, she wasn't so sure. She still wanted me to sign the autographs along with AC and Booby Gibson, because I can't a value that I can't do that, so I spared her. But no, it's been fun jumping on coverage starting here in the second round. A week's to have two months plus of coverage with pre and post. You know, mostly an hour before, hour after, depending on some variance there. But we're excited. Kaylee Griffin, who everybody knows and Caves Caves Nation, she is going to be holding it down. She is a pro, along with Ac Booby and John Michael and Serena, John Michaels, everybody, the whole crew and some of the cast of characters over at Channel nineteen are locally in Cleveland a part of it. So we are pumped. And I'm telling you I signed up for two months. I did not sign up for a week and a half. Okay, let understand that. I hope I'm getting paid for two months.
Speaker 3: You're letting them know. That's what this is about right now. As you mentioned, the coverage will start one hour before tip off with these games Game two, it will be a half hour just because of the earlier kind of funky start time there. I excited to watch that on Rock Entertainment Sports Network, and I should mention it's also simulcast on My Cleveland forty three as well as fan Duel Sports Network, so you guys can be checking it out there before we dive into the Game one. More piece of business. Kenny Atkinson officially Coach of the Year. You know, he certainly earned it throughout the regular season, and he may have to earn it in Game two depending on availabilities. But I think the way that Kenny has managed this roster all season long, no matter who is available, you know, finding ways to get the most out of the depth of this.
Speaker 4: Team has been one of the major stories of this season.
Speaker 1: You know, I can tell you guys that he deserved Coach of the Year because I do a sports talk radio show from six to ten AM in Cleveland, and there was nothing to criticize basically the entire season except for one Oklahoma City game. Sorry, I got Cavalier Kitty here trying to mess with the paper towels which you're holding up the camera. Very high tech set up here. But the fact that we didn't really have a lot of anguish a lot of sports talk topics trying to critique things that the Cavs were doing, which you know is my land. Like, we had a filled time with other things because we couldn't just sit there and pick on them, and it was incredible. You know. Look, I think one of the advantages I said that I thought the Cavs had. It's why I had the over at the start of the year on their win total. Was familiarity right. They didn't have the turnover that some of the rosters had, and I thought that if they could just stay healthy, they're gonna win a lot of games. I did not see this win total. I did not see this level of dominance, the historical offensive numbers that were there almost through the entire season, the wire to wire number one seed, and you've got to give a coach credit for that. Empowering players, which there's just I love the way every time Kenny talks. I love, you know, trying to get on his levels psychologically because forget x's and o's, Yeah, he can do that. He's also got assistance for that. There are interns around the league that can draw x's and o's. You gotta have the players to do it. But he knew he had the players. He knew this was a great job to take. But also that term power mitt and you could see the Cavs grow in confidence throughout the season. Yes, it's a regular season award. I'm fully aware they're down one game to nothing, and I'm fully aware that there might be some haters on social media that might be somehow pointing the blame at him in game one. I don't see eye to eye on that whatsoever. And I think he's going to make some interesting adjustments, and I know we're going to talk about it. But he deserved the award, and by the way, no shade JB. Bickerstaff. He deserved second. I mean, I thought he was spectacular this year. And you know JB has got to do a lot of growing as a head coach. I think Kenny Atkinson has done a lot of growing. He would tell you that in his role as a head coach. So no shade on Bickerstaff. I thought he was great all year. Detroit was actually if you don't mind getting in the muck and in the mud. I thought they were fun to watch, believe it or not. And in the end I thought it was going to be a runaway, and I think was it. To tabulate the results, there was a pretty much a runaway.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty comfortable win. JB got a I think Kenny had twenty more first place votes.
Speaker 1: Do we feel bad for dag over there at Oklahoma City. No, It's almost like Jim Tressel and urban Meyer couldn't win Big Ten Coach of the Year ever, and Oklahoma City was you know, they were so impressive, but you know, it just seemed like this was Kenny's award from the from the second half of the season on.
Speaker 2: I just think, like, you know, when we were talking about these awards, it just felt like the most like it was like the best science experiment you could have, Like because we all know this is the award we can judge the least well, right, Like we're not in practice, We don't literally watch them coach, you know, we don't know what decisions are theirs and what decisions are their staffs, you know, unless they happened to tell us, and so like, you know, we never ever really get to know whether a player got better because he went in the gym and worked hard and got his body right, or because coach taught him a new way to think about his game. Like we just don't get to know as much. It's not as objective of a thing to observe, So you know, I kind of felt like Kenny's whole year was like the most you know, you know, like in a science experiment, you always have a control group like feels like like the rest of the organization was the control group because everything was the same except Kenny. So like it was very easy to ascribe a lot of this growth to the things that he brought to the table and a lot of the conversations he had with everyone. And you know, you couldn't be like, oh, well, you know, like with Detroit, you could be like, hey, yeah, they are a lot better. That's awesome. But they also brought in a bunch of adults in the room. They added It's Obias Harris and as Tim Hardaway Junior, and a bunch of guys who've been in the league for a while. They weren't just playing a fleet of nineteen year olds this year. Like you couldn't really say that about the Cavs, Like, and like I have felt all year that just chalking it all up to Kenny is like maybe not exactly what I would do, though I think he's had obviously an amazing year, and I think he should have been Coach of the Year. But like, at the end of the day, like what we can evaluate that a coach does well. He did well. The rotations were good, he got good contributions from the depth his stars got better, the offense hummed, the pace went way up, Like all the markers that you're looking for are there. And I think you made the right point in terms of him wanting this job. And I think I've said it a lot. Our listeners are probably sick of me saying it, but I to this day still think the best thing Kenny did with this roster was want to coach the roster that he signed up to coach. You know, I am sure that guys went in and interviewed and talked about how they're going to move ev into the five full time and how you know, they really want to lean in on Donovan as a lead creator, you know, because there were a lot of there was a lot of you know, people who even people whose opinions I respect, even though I didn't agree with it, that felt that way that they needed to streamline their roster construction. And it seemed like from the jump Kenny was like, no, I'll take this. What you got good for me.
Speaker 1: It's a great balancing act for us people that critique or people like us that enjoy the game, and we're trying to figure out and synthesize all this different information with all these games in a new game to add to the calculus every single time when you don't want to give too much credit to the coach, because in the end, it's gonna be the players. Like in the NBA. We know just asked you ask Malone in Denver. In the end, the players are the ones that are probably going to be there. When we saw that with the Cavs, so you know, part of me is like, yeah, I think Evan would have been pretty good with a lot of different coaches in the league. But there's no doubt you could see a stark difference in the confidence in the ball handling, in him understanding the angles and driving at the point of attack. We already know we had the defensive thing down. I mean we we saw that his rookie quite literally his rookie year. I mean I could even make an argument that I thought Evan might have played better defense, you know, a year ago or two years ago than he did this year. An he wins Defensive Player of the Year. But it is a testament to Kenny that you know, these guys are now paid. You got guys that have real money or are in line for some big time money. But where are the egos and there are teams, whether you have young guys or old guys, that balancing the egos is an impossible pursuit around this league over time. And you know, I credit Kobe Altman too, I mean GM of the Year. Sure, why not for keeping the exact same team? Sounds crazy, especially some of the names I was rattling off at the end of last year that I was trying to think about, should we break up the nucleus? Is this team have a limited ceiling? And of course we'll revisit all of that depending on how things go in the playoffs. But look again, this Cavs team ruined my season as a sports talk shock chock radio host because where was the criticism? Where what people said, I've sold out, I've been too much of a Homer this season. I've even said nice things about Max Shruce. How does that happens? Good?
Speaker 3: Kenny Is As a loyal listener every single day, I still found those little bits of information, those little takes that you didn't have enough nuance on, And I've let you know, and I've let Ken know every single damn time because I am looking for things to be upset about. And you know what that really makes this fertile ground for me when the Cavs lose a playoff game, because there is no shortage of that. I think one of the great things that Kenny has done this season is get the team to look like they're all on the same page on both ends of the court. I think it's been a consistent theme throughout this season. It just did not appear to be the case to start Game one. I thought, honestly, the point of attack defense was probably the most jarring thing for me. Whether it's Donovan, Mitchell, Ty, Jerome sam Merril, Max Struce, I honestly thought had in the first half, probably had one of his worst defensive games. Honestly, Art City Baby, all of them were really really struggling on that end when it came to containing the point of attack. And I think once you lose integrity at that front line, it's going to get you into rotations, it's going to get you scrambling, and you're going to give up quality looks. And the thing that came to my mind was, is this kind of like when we would play Toronto in the Eastern Conference Finals and it would affect Game one against Golden State. It reminds me of you know, the two games, most recent games we played against Boston, We're coming off forty point wins, and I just feel like anytime you are in one of those situations, it hurts your ability to be sharp in that next game. So I guess the real question is, is this the Miami Heats first win of the postseason.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it because I've been ripping on heat cultures. I know you guys have done yeomen's work doing just that because they deserve it, and the Cavs might have ended it once and for all. You're right, maybe this was maybe this was from the grave pat Riley, if we checked in on him as the godfather doing okay, yeah, maybe Tyler hero is still talking somewhere about counting this on his playoff registry. Oh look, it was jarring. It was one thing I was legitimately worried about. I did tell everybody like I was nervous about a quarter and a half of this game going in. Not because I didn't think we had the personnel advantage, not because I didn't think that we were going to be successful in the series. It was simply because it was jarring. It's like going from you know, Algebras all of a sudden, you're in trigonometry honors, like, yeah, it's a big step, right, it's a huge step. And in this case, you know what lessons? What did we learn from the Calves domination of the Miami Heat other than we're good, we know we're good. We care they might have a foot out the door, and I think we would have beat them if they had. Jimmy Butler like, that's how good the Calves were. But what lessons did we really learn? And sometimes and I thought this happened through some of the wind streaks, for the Caves develop bad habits by winning. And I know that sounds silly, right, But if you're Kenny Atkinson, how are you gonna get your guys' attention? It's one thing to talk about, Hey, take this is a legitimate threat. Look at this pacer tape. Understand what they are doing. They are better than maybe anybody in the NBA getting you involved in the crossmatch circus and getting you scrambling and getting you out of discipline closeouts, and if you come out on the wrong foot, they will take advantage. They understand how to drive baseline and still with a head on a swivel to make sure they can still find angles and shooters in the right compartments on the floor. It's one thing to teach that for those off days, it's another thing when you actually see it. And so yeah, I was disappointed, like every Cabs fan that it seemed like they were not ready in that first quarter. And unfortunately, you know, when you start losing guys one by one, some of that cohesiveness, you know, everybody trying to have their hands on the rope. But all of a sudden, the guy next ex he was gone, and somebody knew is in, and the rotations have totally been shaken, and you're playing a team that you saw it, that was a confident team coming down the road, a team that say what you want about who they played to get to the Eastern Conference Finals last year. In their mind, they're in the Eastern Conference Finals team, and they came into the series believing that. And they've got a good coach too. They've got a championship head coach. You know, Kenny sat on some championship benches, but they've got a championship head coach. So they were not going to be intimidated. They weren't with all that said, I'm sitting there in the third quarter saying this game's over. I got a little cocky. And the Cavaliers got every loose fall in that third quarter, they got, you know, positive contributions for defensively, I mean, Isaac Mcoro, Max Truce, bat out of hell, coming in and saving possessions. Evan Mobley, your Cavs working really hard to win the fifty to fifty loose ball. Luck was a luck yesterday. In that third quarter, they did everything to turn that building around to where it was essentially on fire, one of the loudest crowds, Great Anthony said he had ever seen. And then what did Indiana do? They closed the quarter. We kind of maybe botched a two for one, you know, Donovan Files Siakam and instead of your two for one, they end up plus one on those final possessions. And I was like, man, I'm gonna file that away because that showed me that Indiana could take a CounterPunch and they could deliver yet another one. And they were feeling good about themselves going in to the huddle in the fourth quarter. And I don't think there's a lot of teams in the NBA that could have combatd that cavalanche where the Cavs were swarming to that extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does feel like I do want to ask about the readiness side of things, because like, you know, I don't think I you know, I think there's some people that could, you know, make the argument or make the case like, oh, they didn't respect you know, they got high in their own supply, you know, they they didn't respect this Pacers team. I was kind of lean the other way where I think they were all just a little deferential stylistically, where they kind of let they kind of hung back and and and let Indy kind of dictate the terms a little bit. You know, Like I don't know if like I think it was in that third quarter quarter spurt when a Strus hit either Alan or Mobley on the alley oop, like that empty side pick and roll after the ball swung around and like where was that possession?
Speaker 4: The whole game?
Speaker 2: You know, they were just spending so much time, uh, setting these setting these these screens on nim hard on the other side of the floor, not really getting an advantage, not really pressing really just kind of like hanging, you know, kind of like patiently letting him reconnect to the ball handler, and like I and I just kind of felt that way on both sides of the floor, Like they just kind of were overly deferential to the style.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The coolest thing about that Miami's is the thing I thought I learned about that Miami series was that the Calves have learned that you need to hit first, Like, and that's not like in the game in the game like winning first. It's literally hitting them before they hit you.
Speaker 4: And I felt like.
Speaker 2: Indiana really controlled the game physically because they were playing so assertive, because they were playing their style. And when I say physically, I don't mean the hard fouls. I mean the pushing, the grabbing, the bumping. Like I just feel like they hit first over and over and over again, and I like, I just like left that game begging the Calves play your game, your game. When you play your game, you are better than them when they play their game. And like that's like the best compliment I can give to a Rick Carlile team is they're really really hard to drag out of their style.
Speaker 1: Well, what's funny is their defensive profile and I know you can you can break them down from January on and sometimes I get caught in that silliness with shooting splits. Look, when halibert AND's healthy, they're different team. But even though they've got guys that seem like they would hold up perimeter defenders, they they've never been a great team defensive unit the way that the Cavs. They don't have that ceiling. But now eighty two games and you know, playing a different team every night, that's done. The playoffs we know are a different setup. And boy, card I didn't think about it that way, the deferential. You know, I like to see a little bit more meanness. And I know again that's that's like easy from somebody on the outside, like the niceties and even Kenny have to you know, talking today, he didn't even want to throw any kind of lob, any kind of big criticism or bulletin board material about you know them and the way that they play. He was even nice.
Speaker 3: He was talking about like that was that's probably the angriest I've seen him all season. But he like he kept it you know in the lines very much.
Speaker 1: So right, I would like to see a little bit more nastiness, and it doesn't have to be Draymond Green, you know, I think fans get caught up in that. It certainly doesn't have to be that way, but you know you can make them you're gonna play a playoff ball.
Speaker 2: You have to play playoff basketball. And like, one of the coolest things to me about that Miami the start of that Miami series, I was sitting right next to my co host right over there, and they started in full court press against the heat like that. They did not play a possession of full court press all regular season, And Kenny's Kenny, that's a tone setting playoff decision of like, hey, we're gonna bump you from the first touch of the game. When you think it's gonna be easy, it's guess what, It's not gonna be easy. And like, I just don't think they brought that because they were so concerned about getting back into their shell against the against the transition of the heat, and you could literally watch them thinking they I mentioned it was brain fart city. Like there were a lot of possessions where I didn't even feel like Indy was pressing that hard. Like, by the way everyone talked about how Indy dragged the Cats to their pace. They played ninety nine possessions in this game. It was a game for both teams. Yeah, it was not it was fair.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't know it from the score. You wouldn't know it from the score.
Speaker 2: Fast for playoffs, but not fast for a regular season. These guys shouldn't be like crazy gassed from this pace. But like, even when Indy was going at like seventy percent in some semi transition, you saw the Cavs being like, can't mess up, can't mess up and transition defense, and it's like, just be disciplined, just play the discipline that you're used to playing.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't like.
Speaker 2: I just felt like you watched them overthink and then a short circuit on so many of those defensive possessions. And yeah, I just feel like they got away from themselves in a way there's like pretty unusual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think they let you know them hard. Yeah, he's not listen, you know, do Dora the Cavalier Kiddy's not happy either, you know, showing a little bit of feistiness. There is a way in the NBA to find that line. You don't have to be dirty. I don't think. I don't think we as fans, I don't think we might mind a little dirty once in a while just to let everybody know, like you're not just going to come in here and mess with us, and we can talk. I mean, it's a whole other conversation about whether we thought those files, which were certainly files that were not called and inexplicably challenged, and I'm still I feel like the NBA needs to do a better job of explaining what happened there.
Speaker 3: To be clear, I think we can go over that. I don't think that they were dirty place. I think that they were trying to make the Cavs earn it at the line. I think they were hard playoff files and the fact that they weren't called was really surprising. And the fact that you know, a lot of those ended up leading to three pointers on the other end, you know, in five on four situations, that's a backbreaker in a game that was kind of decided by a couple possessions. But I didn't think that they were dirty plays. Like for me, I've talked to Carter about this. I'm not really proud of it, but I'm a little proud of it. I was a dirty player in high school. I recognized a dirty play when I see one. I don't think that that's what it was.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised, brother, I.
Speaker 3: You know, I went through absolutely all the emotions. I wanted my pound of flesh after this game. You know, I don't like seeing my guys on the injury report. But you can't even retaliate with the hard playoff out of your own if you're not running these guys off the three point line. I mean, if they're just floating around on the outside, you need to get that guy driving to the basket if you're going to put a little lumber in them.
Speaker 1: A game recognized game justin I didn't know you liked that, but you know it's the true ball knower that you are. I respect it, and I think any any edge that you need to gain. But so it gets interesting, right because I'm hearing the Cavs talk after the game, and there's no doubt there's two things that Kenny Atkinson talked because all the players echoed the sentiments in the postgame press conference. The few that did talk, which was pace, I did hear that a lot. And I also heard toughness and physicality. I mean I heard it to a man, every single one. I mean Ty Jerome was out there talking about how fast. Indiana was again one thing to see it on tape. It's another thing to see a team that knows their idea, dentity and knows that's their only chance, right Indiana. Whether or not they think they'res talented as you, we know they're not. I don't think you'd find anybody, even in Indiana that was being fair that would that would argue otherwise. But they know who they are. They and they and they once made a playoff run where they were that and now you know, you add you add Mathron who was injured last year, you know, into that, and now you've got a guy nem Hard who's become mister playoff three point shooter who can't do it in the regular season. So there are some things that that that confidence Getschen. I'm just telling you, I watched, you know, seventy five feet like Max Strus got body checked just trying to get back on defense. Little things, right, It's little things, and they're not going to call that a foul. And I don't even think Max Streuce would be arguing for a file there. I think it's just that they were going to make sure that you felt them droughught And so my question is in game two, depending on who's even going to be out there, because you don't want to get caught up in that too much.
Speaker 4: But are you going to.
Speaker 1: See some some token physicality three minutes in to try to set the tone where, hey, if they call us for a file, they calls for a file, No big deal. You know, even Evan. Evan is the interesting one because I didn't think there was a soul out there that could neutralize Evan. I just didn't. I just didn't think they had any there. A couple of times Evan got an offensive rebound one against Myles turn Aroun. I'm like, Miles is in good position and he can't get his hand up because Evan has has has added that dimension and skill and knows how to seal a guy off using his bigger, bigger shoulders that seemed like they're ten to fifteen pounds bigger in a mass is there that wasn't there even maybe a year and a half ago. So you know, Evan is a guy too. Can can he set the tone? I mean we're in year four here, it's you know, there are some guys that do have some playoff experience on Indiana, but they're all the you know Halliburton doesn't have a ton of playoff experience like I think that You're right, Carter, I go back to that deferential thing. There's no no, no time for that, now, no room for that. You know. The Cavaliers get back to that swagger, and I know it's not as not as easy when you don't have Darius out. There was part of that swagger, but you know, I think I think a difference we'll see very early on if that is something that they're going to come out and set the tone with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got to play their style.
Speaker 3: You you have to know what your strengths are, what your weaknesses are, and play within it right.
Speaker 4: Like, when you know your strengths and weaknesses, you.
Speaker 3: Can identify when a little bit of help is needed, which is what zoom Ai Companion does for us. Because only you can do your best work, zoom Ai Companion can help you do the rest, like automatically taking notes, answer meeting questions, and helping you respond to your coworker Bilbot no additional cost with eligible paid plans or cappy zoom Ai Companion. The funny thing about the physicality was I think we really felt it on the perimeter, right like Indie with steing.
Speaker 2: Which is how Andy does things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were staying home to you know, a crazy extent. They were forcing the Calves. Not only were the Calves being differential on the defensive side and you know kind of allowing Indy to have that freedom of movement on the offensive end, Cleveland, they were giving them a red carpet to the pay. Like typically when you talk about physicality the types of things, you look at our second chance points, offensive rebounds, points in the paints.
Speaker 4: The Calves had.
Speaker 3: A seventy to thirty eight edge in points in the paint, twenty one to four edge on second chance points, and a thirteen to seven edge in sec on the offensive glass. Like typically those are those identifiers. But what Indy was really doing was saying, yeah, like you can attack the basket, but we're we're going to stay home. We're going to make you feel uncomfortable from three.
Speaker 4: And this is a game.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I reject the notion that this was a three point variance game.
Speaker 4: That's part of the equation.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong, Indies shot incredibly well, but when you look at the wide open threes, Indy was thirteen of twenty five on wide open three point attempts, the Caves were three of eleven. When you're talking about they got over twice as many wide open looks. I'm someone that cares about process over results. You know, a little bit of variance here and there. Yeah, the score was close, but the reason the score was close had to do with us winning the possession battle more than anything else like that. And if we're shorthanded, they're going to have to do that again, Like we're going to need to kill them on the glass, We're going to have to kill them on the interior. But when I'm looking at those type of three point numbers, we didn't get the type of looks that make me say, hey, we should have had a good quality shooting game. Because for the season, the Calves average twenty five wide open looks from three against Indiana in Game one only eleven.
Speaker 2: I've got a real zag for you, fellas about the health of the Calves offense. I think it's kind of bad. They only had seven turnovers against that level of ball pressure Like that tells me that the passing in the movement was not where it needs to be. You know, Kaitlin Cooper, who covers the Pacers, who does an amazing job. And I'm paraphrasing because I didn't have the stat pulled up, said that like per one hundred possessions, the Calves averaged like two hundred and thirty passes in this game. Thirtieth place was two seventy average in the league, you know. And I think in general, there was just so much. I thought they worked so hard, ate up so much shot clock, chasing Halliburton on switches, and Haliburton in this game, at least was not Tyler Hero, like he held up way better on switches. And I think a lot of it is all the work that someone like Andrew Nimhard was doing before the switch, where you know, it's so different attacking Tyler Hero with eighteen seconds left on the shot clock than it is attacking Tyre's Halliburton with eight with a perfectly set shell defense behind him, you know. And I just felt like they were you know, I don't think this Cavs team is at its best mismatch hunting, and that is part of the playoffs. I understand that.
Speaker 1: We don't want to be the Boston Celtics. Come on, we want to play ethical playoff basketball.
Speaker 2: You're damn right, we do, Tony, And like, I think I just think they got away from you know, and he mentioned it that their offense let them down, so I think he understands that. But like that's why I called out that struse you know, ball flow side, pick and roll al U because of like, you know, it's like, oh, there you are, guys, Like that's what you are. Like, I think it is so such such a negative indicator for this team on a night where you're not generating consistently clean looks that Tye and Donovan combined for fifty field goal attempts. The ty Jerome on a night where he does not have it he's having, he had a really you know, I would say one of his choppier, high volume nights he's had in terms of just getting stonewalled on some possessions, him having as many shot attempts as Mobley and Allen combined, when when the Cavs worked hard to get those guys to the ball just on a normal pick and roll, you know, not even pick and rolls where they were getting huge advantages. But because Andy's interior defense isn't that strong and because they weren't sending help, they got clean looks every single time. Just felt like the prior alities were a little out of whack in this game.
Speaker 1: The antidote to a lot of what you said plagued them in that opening game, unfortunately, was in street clothes. You know, I just think Darius Garland changes so much of that. The assist totals, I mean right there, the way that you have to defend, especially this year, Darius, and what that opens up. And you know, we talk about targeting guys, whether it's you know, mismatches or on the other end, like getting guys and big men out of sort, getting them tilted and getting the whole you know, the whole side of the basketball floor in your favor with numbers. I mean, Darius does all of that. He's he's been clinical, he's been a technician at doing that stuff this year, and you know, not having him, you know, the reality is, no matter how many silly conversations some people wanted to get going about Ty Jerome versus Darius Carlin, when they're not competing with each other, they're quite literally the perfect the perfect one to the other handem in the league, when there was almost zero drop off when either Donovan or Darius would go to the bench and you know ty Jerome was leading that unit. You see just how different they play. It doesn't mean bad. It doesn't mean ty Jerome what he does is bad. It's ridiculous. He's been sensational all year. It's just different. And you know, I hope we don't have to see a lot of different just for the sake of having to deal with, you know, this injury to Darius, because the fact is, you're just a different team when you go from having a guy who played at an all NBA level for most of the season who not on the floor, Like that's I don't care what you say. That is a huge, huge difference. You know, you can ask you know, the Golden State Warriors when guys start dropping like flies. Next thing, you know, Kawhi Leonard has you know, a ring in Toronto, so and basketball Siakam certainly knows all about that. So h that's that's That's all I'm saying. Like, you know, there's gonna be a big discussion online and sometimes I think, you know, Justin and Carter, you guys are just eternally online. So you're going to allow these Pacer fans to get to you don't let don't let you know Pat McAfee and Caitlyn Clark get to you or Papa Halliburton.
Speaker 4: Oh don't.
Speaker 3: I've already picked a beef with some indie beat writer that I've never heard of before today, but he is now enemy number one. You're right, I think obviously Garland would help a lot. I think it's something we've seen over the last three years. Right in Mitchell's first year with Darius, when Garland was on the court, they had a top five offense.
Speaker 4: When he was off the court, they had the twenty ninth.
Speaker 3: Last year when Darius was not himself, the Cavs were not able to have a top ten offense. This year, the Cavs have a historic offense with Darius on the court. Best offense in NDIA history when he's on the court, and thirteenth when he's off. So you know that floor has raised. But when you talk about a team as good offensively as Indiana, hey, if Darius isn't in the game, you're going to need to get it done a little bit more on the defensive end. And you know, I think what Ty did in Game one isn't too dissimilar to some of what he did against Miami, Like, the shot quality has been tough for Tie all season long. That's a guy that takes and makes a lot of tough shots. They just needed something a little bit different. And you know, Donovan and Tie combined for fifty field goal attempts, they only generated fourteen potential assists, and they got twelve assists on those fourteen, so it's not like they were creating assist opportunities for other guys, and you know, hey, they're missing their shots, so I'm just going to do it myself. They almost shot one hundred percent off of those guys passing. But when you have a ratio of you know, fifty field goal attempts to fourteen assist opportunities created between the two guards, yeah, you're going to feel like, hey, despite the fact that we're getting into the pain at Will, kind of felt like we got away from Evan Mobley as the game progressed. It kind of felt like we weren't capitalizing on Jared Allen rolling to the basket. And I think that's one of the things that Darius does. We all know that Donovan's the best player on this team. He's someone that can go to a place from a scoring perspective that nobody else can. But Darius is kind of the still the primary driver of the offense overall, and he does such a good job of understanding who needs the ball when and keeping the Calves within their identity offensively.
Speaker 2: Whenever, whenever Steve Jones of The Dunker Spot talks about this Calves team, the nicest thing he says, every time he posts a clip of the Calves getting other teams in the blender, he always says, the Calves just keep making you guard, you know, like here's the first action that you snuffed out. Here's the second action, here's the third action, here's the fourth action, and you finally, you know, the damn breaks and you and the Calves got a wide open look. Or in the you know, a season like this, someone hit a crazy shot, you know, and and you know all that effort was for nothing, and you need both of those pieces of the puzzle in order to you know, be a championship team, like you're not always you know, no team, the greatest teams in NBIA history have to hit hard shots the score. But like you can't build the whole plane out of that material. I did not know about that fourteen potential assists that I just I think that's a killer.
Speaker 1: It's a rhythm game, especially early in a series. So I always draw a stark contrast when I talk to people about why the NBA playoffs are different. The first game of the series, when we had Lebron and had the luxury of having Lebron feel his way out process over the span of four to seven games. You know how to combat every single thing, and he would take it all into consideration over the course of the first forty eight minutes or so, and sometimes in the game two and then you would see it like, oh, I got this, I got this, and now all of my teammates are going to beneficiaries of how it's built on itself. You know everything that I've been processing, okay, but when you get to game seven, as you've seen the game seven so far, you almost have to throw exits and o's out the window. It's like, who's got legs left, who can elevate over a defender, who can get by a defender, and who can just put the ball in the basket. By that time, you know, we've seen everything, they've seen everything, Like we just got to go get baskets because there aren't gonna be a lot of them, and this is this is different. This was the first game I like to see guys in rhythm. And I know that the stat was circulating about Donovan Mitchell in game ones the thirty points. Obviously, we know he's capable of hitting every single three he took in that game, with maybe the exception of the one that was blocked right and they blocked a few on the perimeter with some of that length, or guys chasing it, you know, sometimes got a little lucky, or the Cabs maybe needed one more pass. Though we know Donovy can make all those. He can step into those at any time. What's so gifted about his footwork is that he can actually jump into a jump into a three point shot off the dribble left foot. He can do it right foot. I mean, that's Carmelo Anthony stuff, That's Kobe Bryant's stuff. There's not a ton of guys that are skilled at him and doing it. So I'm never crushing him on the shot selection because if he takes eleven threes, I'm guessing he's gonna add more than one. You know, the rest of his career. I don't think he ever has game like that. But the issue is when he's shooting those and just stepping into him with eighteen on a shot clock or fifteen on a shot clock, then you're not really making Indiana have to buckle, think twice, tilt their defense, start to get them scrambling in the way that they forced you to get scrambling. And I would say the same thing about Tye. It's not that I thought Tye was taking any more difficult to shots. In fact, I think they got it in their heads like, oh my god, these guys, these guys cannot stop us from getting to the hoop. But what you're also doing if you have two players with the lion's share of those forays to the basket, and obviously ty didn't shoot a ton of threes, but then you've got Donovan, you know, settling for a lot of those threes. Then other guys are just not going to be in rhythm. Even when you don't shoot, it's touching that basketball, it's being able to pound that ball a couple times, throw to the opposite corner, and now you've got everybody circulating on defense and not knowing where that shot is coming. And then you know, just quite quite honestly just wearing them out, and instead Donovan Mitchell like, I don't think people realize. Yeah, he played thirty four minutes. And I went back and looked, and I'm like, wow, that's interesting. I thought, in a close game, he's gonna play more minutes. And in a non blowout situation. You have to go back to his rookie year to find a playoff game where he played thirty four minutes or less. And yet I watched him and I saw his body language, and I'm like, man, this guy is worn out because it is exhausting having to get out there in the perimeter, make your first point of attack move, get by one guy, and now oh I've got a euro step, I've got a plant off my right foot and toggle and jump to the left side, and now I got to think about my finishing package, even though they don't have a ton of shop blocking, and yeah, he would finish. That's exhausting, guys. Yeah, and he did that on like from especially that third quarter. He was on it and he was taking the ball from three quarters core all the way. In doing that, that is going to wear you down. So box Score said, thirty four minutes felt like a forty one minute game against the Orlando Magic.
Speaker 3: And not only what it felt like, and not only that, our buddy Spencer Davies just tweeted out a video where he's talking about, you know, the Calve's injury situation, and we know that Donoo is dealing with the ankle coming into the playoffs, that is still apparently something that's bothering him. He's apparently also dealing with some calf soreness as well. You know, if we're playing the injury game, if we're looking ahead to game two here, because my mentality really is, you know, the Calves have found ways to win games shorthanded all season long. We've seen them be competitive insanely shorthanded against the Indiana Basers even right, so if they can find a way to go out and win Game two, if they are in fact shorthanded, then you have multiple days off until you know, Friday, then you just have to, you know, kind of compartmentalize in your mind, get us split in Indiana, you have home court back. Hopefully we get healthier as this series progresses. If we're going into game two, and Kenny said that Mobley and Hunter are both doubtful in his eyes, so we'll see what happens there. Obviously DeAndre Hunter with a dislocated thumb on his shooting hand, Evan Mobley dealing with an ankle injury. If Garland, Mobley and Hunter are all out, I honestly think you have to trust the depth that you have. You have to trust the guys that have stepped up this season and start tied Jerome alongside Donovan just to get that supplemental play making next to him to us to lessen the burden a little bit more. And then you you trust, you trust a Craig Porter Junior to come into the game. I think you need to have multiple ball handlers out there. I think you need to find ways to make Donovan's life a little bit easier rather than asking him to be that primary initiator when he who's.
Speaker 4: Doing my starters?
Speaker 2: Who are your five starters?
Speaker 3: I think I would start Jerome, Chill, Struce, Wade and Allen.
Speaker 2: That sounds right to me. I like that take. I wasn't thinking, I don't think that will happen. I think Sam will continue starting, which I thought Sam had a really rough defensive game.
Speaker 3: In games that honestly, that game was the difference between Miami who was floating on the perimeter, and Sam doing a really good job navigating screen stained you know, in front of his man and guarding guys that actually have juice off the dribble, right, because all those guys have jewe like from a point of a tax standpoint, you know, that's that's where that's where Sam and honestly even Tye struggled to stay in.
Speaker 4: Front of the guys got the worst there by the matrix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tye is going to you know, he's going to poke away, he's going to get steals. But he and Sam are probably the weakest point of attack defenders. Honestly, that's a strength of Darius is he's going to get targeted because we switched so much and there's length, But he does a good job staying in front of his man. But you know, with the with the toe situation, which Brian Wyndhor describe as turf toe on today's podcast, I don't know if that's going to be the case, right, Like, I don't know if he's at seventy percent, if he's even going to be his normal self at the point of attack.
Speaker 2: But cancer so going with if it is tie, you know, I think the thing about starting Dean, and I think you kind of have to start Dean because I think Pascal is, like, you know, for being a generally normal sized power forward, the best post scorer in the league. Like I get why you know Jokich is, you know, he's just got such an outrageous size advantage. But just like in terms of the post bag, I think Siakam can go up against anyone. I think it just makes the most sense. However, if Evan doesn't play, I you're going to have to play a lot of minutes small. I don't think they want to dust Tristan off in the series, though.
Speaker 4: I might have to.
Speaker 2: It might be an okay Tristan series, just because Indy is not on the boards on the ball and and you know, a little extra physicality and screen setting can go a long way, because I don't think there were a lot of great screen set in Game one. Uh, But I do like your idea here justin I actually think it is the right call just to say, hey, let's play Cavaliers basketball, and Cavaliers basketball means two, three, four guys who can initiate offense on any given play. And I think there is the the other thing that is not maybe being accounted if you just you know, roll Sam and Dean out is you're not just losing the playmaking at the point guard position with no Darius, You're losing evan ability to run and to initiate in the front court. And you just kind of need to find it because Dean is just knocking. That's not going to be who Dean.
Speaker 1: Is a very very interesting guys. Obviously, let's uh, let's get wild, right, let's get crazy. Uh. If that is the case, it's worst case scenario. I think you're gonna see a lot more zone. You know. I know it's tough to really extrapolate anything from the regular season matchups against Indy, but I think they ran like sixty six zone possessions and it was like point eight points per possession, which would be like dead last offense in the NBA.
Speaker 3: He struggles for zone. That was the last thing that Pacers previous. That that is something that you know they tuggled with.
Speaker 1: And look, I thought, you know the zone, you know they if you notice it looked to me to the naked eye, and I asked Booby Gibson, who was sitting next to me while we were watching I'm like, did they just did they just go from just standard two three to matchup? And he's like, man, I can't tell, And I'm like, I couldn't tell either. The way that I and I listen. I'm classically trained at the two three matchup zone for my years at Syracuse, so I'm always looking for certain indicators, you know, on the wing, and you know you could play it. Got Beheim had like eight different ways to play their matchup zone depending on the day, so he was always really hard to scout. You wouldn't think the zone is, but I do think it's it's a tool. Is it an additive? Might be just by necessity in this series, and you know, look, what do you give up in his own You give up some rebounding. But I still the way the Cavs can chase basketballs and they just seem to always have an eye for it, and I thought they did in the last game. Maybe it's worth using a little more than you'd like to typically and just write a mess with Haliburton because there's no doubt he got into that rhythm. The possessions against Jared Allen. I've seen people suggest that it's just not a Jared Allen series. Well, guess what, we don't have the luxury right now. Yeah, it's an everybody series. Who's available. I mean, you just gotta play guys and still I mean Jared Allen phill had Haliburton out twenty eight feet in the basket taking some shots that are not easy.
Speaker 3: With those, Yeah, you have to live with those, right and if they kill you with the shot making, I think you do it. But like I think we got as Carter said, we got away from our identity.
Speaker 4: We were over helping a whole lot.
Speaker 3: We were scrambling defensively, and I think this is just going to have to be a series where you stay home a little bit more. We have a lot of guys that are very good at screen navigation. Zach Low mentioned. You know that the cast face thirty six ball screens, and you know the rate at which they switched those ball screens was the third highest of any team this season. I think you have to trust the guys a little bit more, particularly, like you know, I was sitting in that game and I was like, I don't know if this is a series for Sam Merrill. I don't know if this is a series for Isaac o'corral, Like I thought, o'corral's first shift started off really poorly, and I thought he was actually very good on Halliburn. Then I thought his second half was very difficult. I was like, you know what, this is probably just non o'coro series. Guess what now it's going to have to be if these guys are out of the lineup, Sam's going to need to play, Ocoro is going need to play. You're probably going to need to play. Craig Porter Jr. And who knows Javonte Green is going to play, And you might you might even want to dust off a Jalen Tyson, someone who's going to buy you some extra possessions, place with some physicality and has a thirty ball against Indiana. You know, maybe he's got a little bit of confidence here, he's shot here, he shot great in garbage time against Miami.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, what Miami was great garbage time pregame, post game at Live after the you know Club eleven, I mean they I think it was all time to score. I think, listen, it's all on the table. And you know these are these are tough. These are tough because you know, you start going through these scenarios. But the one thing I know is, like I just the shooting variance thing. You started out justin saying that, you know, you're a little agitated. People are just gonna chalk a game up to shooting variants. Then what are we even doing here? Why even try to break down the game? There's a cause and effect of all of these things. I do think, you know, the guys that are gonna play for the Cavs, they're gonna be some desperation, and I think it's gonna be a little harder for for Indiana this time I'm around. And when a team makes it at the rate that they just made it, sometimes they can be a little shell shot when some of those are in and out or or or don't fall, and that that starts to break up the rhythms.
Speaker 2: So I happened. We watched this happen to the Cavs in Game two against the Heat. They go nuts in that second quarter and then they stop going nuts, and the like how do.
Speaker 4: We play basketball? Again?
Speaker 2: Like it does just break your brain a little bit when you're that hot. Like I will say though, like this is an indie team that can shoot, and and I don't want to hear any one site that Andrew Nimhart is a twenty nine percent three point shooter to me, because I tweeted this out. He shot sixty fifty five, fifty four and forty nine percent from three in the four playoff series he has played so far. And I'm gonna quote Steve Jones again and say that you'll live with it until you can't live with it, And like, drove men, this is about eighty two game sample you have, Like you're gonna have to run these guys off the line. You're going to need to have discipline, you know, if you are gonna switch everything, well, you also can't be in constant rotation like you like the switches to is designed to not give that stuff up. So like that is like the thing that makes me the most encouraged coming out of that game one is like all the stuff from like you're just not playing well and like the the injuries are very very scary because now you're just gonna depend on guys to you know, your ceilings a lot lower without an Evan, without a DeAndre, without a Darius. But like we know, this team's floor can be very very high even when they're playing the eighth, ninth, and tenth guys in their rotation. It used to drive me nuts when when Daryl Morey would sit there and he'd say, well, you know, it's a shooting variants like, you know, small samples. Sorry, a playoff series is a small sample, right, Like and I think Carter and I will point out at times when we think, hey, this is the shooting variance game, like that first loss against Atlanta where the Cavs I think had like thirty four wide open threes and couldn't hit any of them. Atlanta had way fewer and they hit all of theirs. That'll point to.
Speaker 3: But when you're talking about eleven wide open threes versus twenty five, there was something wrong with your process. If you brought that to the middle where it's seventeen and seventeen and you know, hey, they just shot a little bit better on theirs, that's a different story. But you're right, Carter about Nemhar, to think, you know, we're so familiar with the context of our own team, we missed the fact that Andrew Nemhar missed a bunch of time this season and it took him a little time to defind his rhythm previous years. You know, he's been a thirty five thirty six point three point shooter, like he's not a twenty nine percent shooter. You're you're going to have to respect this guy here, and you're gonna have to respect all of these shooters. You're going to have to make them feel uncomfortable because once teams find a rhythm, if you're giving them rhythm jumpers and you're not playing defense before the shot in the first half, they're going to be in a groove and it's going to be a whole lot harder to turn that fast off when you start contesting those shots in the second half.
Speaker 1: And by the way, guys, speaking to the whole variance thing is it's a you know it when you see it. I've seen enough James Harden Game seven and big playoff moments to know when a sampling is now significant and is now no longer a noisy sample. So I'm with you there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see who the Cavs have available, who Kenny goes to. You know, he's already earned that Coach of the Year, he might have to earn it a second time over Lama. Before we get you out of here, is there anything that we haven't touched on that you want to mention before we wrap this thing up?
Speaker 1: That Max Trews can play my dodgeball team anytime. What a save? What to save? The crowd? I'll tell you the crowd and everybody knows what I've said about Max Strus that was around me watching the game, the amount of see that, did you see that? Did you see that? And he didn't even shoot well, but it was like this, this is the effort you need. And I did say on our postgame show afterwards, like, man, if they had eleven Max Struses in terms of effort from the moment the game started, probably wouldn't have been, you know, a close game down to the wire. I think the calves would have been okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Matt, Max, you know, we talked about it before. I think the effort is almost always there. I think he's someone that you know, holds himself and everyone else accountable. So we're going to need a big Max game if those guys are out, We're going to need a lot from Max. We're going to need a maybe a shooting variance game of our own to tie this up to one to one. And you do that it's a new series. Hey, I picked the Calves to win in five. I believe they can win four out of five games. I don't think it's over if they go down oh two. You just don't want to be in a situation where you have to win, you know, multiple games like that in Indiana. You want to make life a little easier for yourselves. You want to take that pressure off, and you don't want to be susceptible to you know, a potential shooting variance game if you outplay them down the road. So big, big thanks for you taking the time to come on the podcast again, everybody. You can check out lineas coverage fore and after Cavs games at Rock Entertainment Sports Network, simulcast on my Cleveland forty three and fan Duel Sports Network. Big thanks to every big thanks to you, Tony, Thank you so much for coming on. Always enjoy talking to you. Big thanks to everyone tuning in live on YouTube. Make sure you guys like and subscribe. Click that notification bel so you know when we're going live. You're listening via podcasting. You want to supportus, leave us a rating, we review, subscribe, unsubscribe, resubscribe, and help cook those books If you want to be part of chase downs exclusive discord chat, sendy screenshowl there via Chase downpod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: However, you juice to support us, we really do appreciate it.
Speaker 3: You sure you guys are staying safe out there until next time, Okay,