Speaker 1: Is that ball still stuck in my back? Do you hit me with this? Shear?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And so I'm wondering is it still there? Because that's so I'm a bit still hurt.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm sorry that.
Speaker 4: All right. Welcome to the show. Twenty one year Major League Baseball veteran, four time All Star two thousand and five ASI Young Award winner Bartolo Cologne, bien Venillos Ala Programaci and you're Gracia sport too, Temple. Welcome to the show. Bart Hello, thanks for being.
Speaker 3: Here, say that and thank you for here.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, you speak English. I played with you like five times. You speak English. No no Espanol on your bar. You know you speak English.
Speaker 3: I owned this thing, love, but I can't speak.
Speaker 1: I knew he could do it.
Speaker 5: He said, you know that the boys can't speaking and you and you only give me the shign and that's it.
Speaker 1: We only do what pan She was this or this right.
Speaker 3: That's.
Speaker 4: Only the fastball, Bartola. You've been tweeting a lot about the New York Mets. What is it about the Mets team that you like this year? Could get get the interest in? It is the Mets get the gustas.
Speaker 1: What do you like.
Speaker 3: Knowing, I mean I get better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said. Basically, you know they're playing really well right now, but it's usually at the first half of the season. Once that first half is over to kind of see, uh you know what this team really is and how they're playing.
Speaker 1: A lot of bart Are you flo? Are you look good? You look good?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Could you? Could you hit right now? Could you hit?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, no, I'm playing social board right now?
Speaker 4: Oh you're playing? Could you hit with the torpedo bat? You were mentioning something about the torpedo bat? What do you think about that? Who got going?
Speaker 1: Us? Who?
Speaker 3: No? Are you okay? Look at what are you?
Speaker 4: You're learning how to play with it? Now? How many home runs do you think you could hit Quanto's run? He said, he doesn't think any. He's not a hitter, so he doesn't think any.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, crats tistas haiendo?
Speaker 1: What are you doing right now? What? What is your day? What do your days look like?
Speaker 3: No, mao.
Speaker 4: He's working with a bunch of kids in the community and obviously some different camps and and those types of things gonna getrero Uh huh.
Speaker 3: When we hold pro.
Speaker 4: With with with Pedro Guerrero's kids working with with him and some of the kids in that area. Do you miss playing the game at the partido? He said, yeah, one hundred percent. He misses playing the game. How come yeah, he said, it was his entire life. I mean that's what he that's what he grew up doing, That's what he spent his entire life doing. So obviously it makes sense that he would miss it one hundred percent. Do you think you could still play? Yeah, he said, every time he goes to Venezuela, obviously he plays out there. Do you want to play? Go ahead and go ahead? I mean sorry in the Dominican I apologize in the Dominicans. See you understand English. You could do this interview in English. Yeah, the Dominican. Of course. When you played for the Dominican in two thousand and six, what was the most important thing for you in that time?
Speaker 3: He pa, presente.
Speaker 5: I being be.
Speaker 3: La Dominicana, he.
Speaker 4: Said, putting on the jersey obviously representing the Dominican Republic on his chest, and obviously that was so important. In the fourteenth you know innings that he pitched there, But the twenty thirteen championship was, you know, something very special for him. Obviously playing uh in that, a J. Did you want to ask him about that? That home run?
Speaker 7: No, here's what I want to ask him. Do people ask him more about his home run or winning a cy Young? Because people forget he won a cy Young But only ever hear about is Bart hitting his home run off James Shields and his trot around the basis. So Bart, do they all ask you more about your song or your home run?
Speaker 3: In Miami?
Speaker 4: Get on? In Miami? More people asked him about the about his home run than than anything.
Speaker 7: Tell him tell him this behind his back? That one it doesn't count because justin Bor is too slow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the the the and the uh yeah, a J knows the pass behind the back? Yeah? They out behind your back? Where people ask him about that and the home run than than anything else. What was the more exciting play for you? The home run or the pass behind the back?
Speaker 3: That convention? Who?
Speaker 4: Yeah? He said, both of them obviously were very fun to him, but the one that he you know, likes the most was obviously the home run because it was something that he'd been looking forward to doing and hoping for ever since he joined the National League. So when he was able to do that, then obviously that was That was a big.
Speaker 3: Deal, Alana.
Speaker 2: We love our pups dearly and we want to shout out Spot and Tango for taking care of our pups with their unkibble.
Speaker 3: They are a game changer.
Speaker 4: A game changer is right, Scott. And you know anything about me, You know that I love dogs and I want them to live forever. My own rescue pup, Bentley, is my passion and she loves Spot and Tango. Thank goodness. It's one hundred percent human great ingredients, so you know exactly what your dog is getting. Oftentimes, in other forms of dog food you have no idea what's in it. A bunch of fillers. She loves it. It helps keep her healthy. It's perfectly customized for her age, her breed, her weight, and her level of activity. Makes me happy to give it to her.
Speaker 2: Hey, and you can upgrade your pets bowl with Spot Entango on Kimble for a limited time. Go to spotantango dot com slash foul use code foul to get fifty five oh percent off your first order. That is, Spotantango dot com slash foul code foul to get fifteen percent off your first order one more time for the pups out there, code foul at spotantango dot com slash foul crass.
Speaker 4: You want to ask him about the Mets where you know where you think he's gonna they're gonna end up?
Speaker 6: No primetoo, Kay Cambreas, what would you have changed about your career?
Speaker 4: Ken do Carrera, Carria, Cambiad. See, I'll go to Cambiad and to Carrera.
Speaker 3: He out a.
Speaker 5: Memo, apmpo, a PM we're gonna get I'll patch its.
Speaker 4: Okay, he would he would change the pitch clock. He doesn't like the pitch clock. So would you when you played? Would you want that? Kand no?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I mean.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, it didn't matter to him because he pitched so fast. He certainly didn't. You know, the pitch clock doesn't didn't matter to him. But that's one thing about the game that that he would recta yes, we got it.
Speaker 1: The fastball he only had.
Speaker 7: He had two signs one well three one and one, and then every once in a while he thought that was it. Other knows and then if he shook, you're like, oh no.
Speaker 1: He wants the other fastball. And then he makes him the cutter her a little slider.
Speaker 4: Once in a while, but is there something I think what Eric is asking, is there something about your speci a the career that you would have done differently? And Los bent Hua in Las Grandesligas i ago the two Carrea specifica mente krea a Cambian.
Speaker 3: Joe see my track I communal The comment.
Speaker 5: My trying I commissa strikes paraque No I've.
Speaker 3: Come into cambiado is a momental, Okay.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, it's basically obviously, at the beginning of his he threw really, really hard, but he threw a lot of balls. So the one thing that he would have liked to have done differently, obviously is to be able to throw hard, but also to just you know, throw throw more strikes. I mean just you know, have more strikes than balls, which makes makes makes sense. What do you got, aj you got to follow up?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So when I first met Bart, we were in LA and Dodger Stadium in old Dodger Stadium before they redid the clubhouse, and we were going to Japan to play, and we were in the shower and I asked Bart, I don't know if he remembers this, but he hit me that year and it was one hundred and one, and it was right here, right, I think a ball is still see he knows. And I went in the shower. We were in the shower and I said, hey, Bart, is that ball still stuck in my back?
Speaker 1: Do you hit me with this shore? Right? And so I'm wondering is it still there? Because that's the song of a bitch still hurts?
Speaker 3: I'm all right, I remember that.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's do you think that's lost? Do you think that's a lost art? Because when you came up, you threw a hunt You threw I remember every hundredths pitch of the game, you would try to throw it one hundred miles an hour?
Speaker 1: Do you think that's lost?
Speaker 6: Being able to hit somebody so that they're, you know, get off the plate? Or do you think guys do that enough in the game right now?
Speaker 4: Los Peg.
Speaker 8: Seeing but I A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's saying it's very different now. Now it's like everybody throws a hundred miles an hour, but it's not nearly as competitive as it used to be. There's not nearly as much as much emotion in today's game in terms of that competitive five than there was when he played. It seems like everybody now throws one hundred miles an hour. It's not about backing guys up off the plate. It's just about the fact that everybody can throw that.
Speaker 1: Part.
Speaker 7: I got a question for you. When you pitch, so you were the best. You and Greg Maddox were the best. Okay, you would throw the inside fastball that was never a strike, but they always called it a strike. How did you get the umpires to constantly call the pitch to me that I would go like this and it would hit my jersey as it went by, and the umpire would say a strike three every time? How did you get the umpire to call that every time.
Speaker 3: They look can be there?
Speaker 4: I knew, Yeah, the the video says that it was a strike. Age the video may say that.
Speaker 1: I used to tell umpires when he would pitch.
Speaker 7: Every time, I'd say, listen, he's gonna throw the front door sinker. It's not a strike. Do not call it on me. And then you get an umpire And then I come back and I'm like, the balls this far off the plate and they're like sorry, I just get excited.
Speaker 1: I just get so excited. I can't help myself.
Speaker 7: Every time with Bart, every time, I'm like he's gonna throw it and I'm gonna go like this and it's gonna be a strike.
Speaker 1: It happened every time, and does.
Speaker 4: He said every basically, if he's pitching against you, that's what he was gonna throw to you, because that was always was.
Speaker 7: I know he hit me and he threw that pitch.
Speaker 5: Those are his two favorite things against me.
Speaker 4: When you pitched, If it was a ball or a strike, yeah, because yeah, because when you caught him. That's that's why that was happening.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, by the way, tell him my life. Last game, my last game he started for the Mets, I was with the Braves and my I thought it was gonna be my last bat and he hit me and I was like, is that really how I'm gonna end my career? Bartolo Cologne hitting me in the middle of the back. I was like, oh, that looked.
Speaker 4: Like a j who for Lance and help and say at bat to then Daniel And it was the one that he always he always threw and it just got away from him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, right there, Bartolo. Did you ever put anything on the pelota? Did you ever put anything on the ball?
Speaker 5: No, only you say dumb chicilech.
Speaker 6: But did you ever try because you would throw that you would throw that heater and see if it got a little extra movement, or would you cut the ball anything like that?
Speaker 1: No, never, no, I'll.
Speaker 3: No nada.
Speaker 4: He never had to do it, thank god. Nothing on the ball.
Speaker 1: What was his favorite team? Your favorite team? He played for?
Speaker 3: For my dad Clevelandandland b n B and.
Speaker 5: Message away writing fanantics.
Speaker 4: Okay, he said, for his dad obviously, and for himself Cleveland in the beginning because they were who gave him the opportunity. But for him in terms of where he felt the best and and you know, a lot of success in his career obviously, was the Mets aland the piences lost Mets Sevanna your second Tom Esperat. But okay, Gusta again, what do you what do you think the Mets need and and what do you like about this team?
Speaker 5: Piano, I mean a pich mm hmm, I know.
Speaker 4: And okay, so you like the pitching Gusta Los lost Nessitan Mass Okay, he's saying that they need they need more pitching right.
Speaker 3: Now, jacquanre I.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of guys, obviously, with the season being as long as it is, there's a lot of guys that are that are going to get tired, and of course you know with the with the injuries too, there's always a need for more pitching depth. A J wants to know, Bartolo, who's your favorite picture right now? Could get get Lances Faro and.
Speaker 3: I get get the ground?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, well get to.
Speaker 3: When when I when I when I when I came I'm a pitcher? Get that when when Momento a solo match?
Speaker 5: Are all.
Speaker 3: Segua, Yeah, he I really.
Speaker 4: Liked, you know, de Grom when he pitched with them. Obviously with the Mets, they had really good chemistry, just enjoyed one another. So if you had to pick a favorite pitcher right now, it's a de Grom obviously, who's now with the Texas Rangers? AJ, you have one more?
Speaker 1: By the way, they only had him, Cyndegard de Grom. Who else was on the team? Bar was Matt's there? Then?
Speaker 7: I mean that was a pretty good staff there, Stephen Mets in twenty fifteen, Harvey Matt Harvey.
Speaker 1: I mean that's and so I will yeah, that was a good staff.
Speaker 7: But so what my question is, how come guys you look back on Bartolo's numbers two O four, two O five one, two twenty two, two thirty three, two forty two two oh wait to twenty two one ninety two oh two, one ninety four one ninety one. These are innings pitched for years that he wasn't injured. Why can't guys pitch two hundred innings anymore? Bartolo?
Speaker 3: And what and what about forty two?
Speaker 7: That's I said, two forty two, two thousand and three White Sox. Yeah, why can't guys pitch two hundred innings anymore?
Speaker 3: You know, you know my holiday? Yeah, how did I throw it? I think at two hundred and sixty two? Gaining that yea too.
Speaker 4: Bad?
Speaker 3: Okay, y'all get dealing with cent you cento YadA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's saying, basically, now, guys throw eighty pitches and they're taken out of the game. And back in his day they throw a hundred, one hundred and ten hundred and twenty pitches. Now, if they get to the ninety or even certainly not the hundred mark, they get taken out of the game because you know, they're they're trying to protect the arm or whatever it is. It's just you know, it's obviously a very different game today, very different different time. They don't get they're not allowed to go deeper into games anymore.
Speaker 1: True, agreed, and I don't like it my decisions.
Speaker 4: Porto Tempo, thanks for being here today. We appreciate it very much. Good luck with all the clinics and and everything that you're doing. Uh in segnando los los n luego.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Gracia, thank you, thank you all right.
Speaker 5: Gafo ye, yes, yeah, I uhmeno, Terry.
Speaker 4: Terry, you've lost thirty Yeah, he's lost thirty pounds. Very good.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Skinny sexy.
Speaker 4: Sexy now not big sexy anymore, little sexy. Bartolo colomb thank you so much for being with the Sunfold Territory. We appreciate it. Game's changed, kids, it's really changed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Obviously when Bartolo played, what what am I doing?
Speaker 1: I was just looking. I was just looking at my numbers against him. I had a lot. I had sixty nine at bats off him.
Speaker 4: By the way, how'd you do?
Speaker 7: Uh eighteen for sixty nine A couple of dingers but not no. But listen, only five strikeouts, so that's pretty good because he for the end four of those came in the first six times I faced.
Speaker 4: Him, so it was so you figured him out.
Speaker 7: I figured I just wouldn't let him throw that pitch that started on my hip that wasn't a strike, and I would hit that one. But I did get him. I booked him twice Cratzy and he hit me twice, So I guess we're even.
Speaker 1: He knew, he knew. I'm telling you.
Speaker 7: I'm telling you when I walked into the shower in Dodger Stadium and I looked at him, and he looked at me, and I just said, man, can you is that?
Speaker 1: Is that ball still here? And he goes, what do you mean?
Speaker 7: And I go from when you hit me and it was one hundred and two, he'd bust he almost he started laughing so hard.
Speaker 1: It was one of the funniest things of all time. I said, I'm sorry, yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Game's different now he looks good. He looks good.
Speaker 1: A little more gray. He's got a little more gray hair.
Speaker 7: His hair is a little He used to have kind of like I don't know, I don't know what you would call it, but it was like the mushroom cut where it's like went here and then it kind of went out like a mushroom.
Speaker 1: But he's trimmed it up nicely. It looks good, more gray. It was a blowout poppy, that's what they can call it.
Speaker 3: You get to blow out poppy.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so funny.