Speaker 1: We're back and we're black. Well, whoa. I don't know where that came from. It just came.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of something fun to say, and I was like, back black heart attack.
Speaker 3: I don't know, let me do the snap. Well, we are black, We've been black, You're being black. Welcome to the show. Welcome to the middle of August. The halfway slog, Oh my god, it's September. Ever gonna get here? I'm dying.
Speaker 2: Did you see somebody posted that the Farmers are Almanac that's that we're going to have a crazy winter, And I'm like, well, welcome to Jersey.
Speaker 3: I have a wedding to go to in Montana, and I'm like ninety five percent sure I'm not gonna make them. I just feel like the flight's not going to take off. There's gonna be like a flock of moose are going to get loose on the runway and just slip and slide. And Montana like, I don't know what happens there. I feel like it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: But I honestly I want to go.
Speaker 2: One of my friends moved to Montana and I have plans to sleep on her couch like I want to see big sky country, Like that's on my agenda.
Speaker 3: Girl, dig up your fanciest flannel and your warmest woolen socks and get thee think either.
Speaker 1: I will. So, what did you do this weekend?
Speaker 3: This weekend, well, I told you, I told you off air my new life's ambition. I don't even care about the money. I don't care about retirement. I just want to get to a point in my career where I can just like peace out for the month of August because even though it's my birth month and I love it, I'm sorry Leo's but like August is like the armpit of the calendar, especially if you're in New York. I don't know about the rest of the country, but like New York, it's just a festering cesspool of stank and uh So this weekend, even though I was sick, I was like feverish I had, I was an antibiotics, I was sniffling. I got my sick butt on the bus and went down to Asbury Park, New Jersey, just to get to the beach. Like just that's how bad it is, just to get out of this neighborhood. That's what the links I went.
Speaker 1: To how long was that bus ride?
Speaker 3: Well, so it was supposed to be. So I wasn't even taking the bus to Asbury Park. I was taking the bus to my friend's house and she was gonna drive us the rest the way to Asbury Park. So of course I dragged fiancee boo. But I'm not really telling him like how far exactly we're gonna be going, because one I don't really know, and two bus schedules are weird, and three I didn't I wanted him to like be okay with it. You know, we're on a budget. So I was like, we're really close to the George Washington Bridge. The bus stop is right there. Port Authority has like a satellite bus stop. We'll just take the train down two stops, hop on a bus and call it to day. But of course, like the train schedule was wrong on Google Maps and it was totally different. When we got there, we missed our train, so the next train wasn't for an hour I mean sorry bus And we got on the bus finally, and we were on it for half an hour, having a good time, Like we had a little dunkin Donuts. Next thing I know, we're like going the wrong direction. I don't know where we are, and we're supposed to transfer apparently, and then we get off and we're like in the middle of I don't know, something called West New York. I never knew there was a West New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew there's a East New York, but I didn't know this.
Speaker 3: Is that a Jersey thing like the West New York.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know. I just know like East New York.
Speaker 3: There was like a lot of candies and a Mandy's and a children's place and a dunkin Donuts. That's all I know. So we had to put up like a flare gun and get rescued by my friend. So she drove out and that was That was our bus adventure.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nine. I don't know the bus.
Speaker 2: It's hard, it's very I could do a train, I could do a plane.
Speaker 1: I can. The bus is just not my cup of tag.
Speaker 3: When it's right and it's good, it's good, you know, like when you do when you get the schedule and you get there on time, you get a seat, it's good. But it's bad and it's bad. I mean it was, it was not good. But anyway, we finally made it to the beach and it was really nice. Nature's netty pot is what I called it, because I was like, all sniffily, but uh clear, mery was that gross?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Cleared me right on up and I'm on the men feel much better. It was nice. It was just I'd rather be hot on the beach than you know, hot and inwood. Sorry inwood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I could see that.
Speaker 3: But you are funky. Oh we have an exciting announcement.
Speaker 1: Oh that's why we do. I was like, we do, we do?
Speaker 3: We talked about it before we had sold one plane. I know.
Speaker 1: Now I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: You guys come to us for the order and the organization skills that we provide.
Speaker 1: You see us. No, yeah, I'm super excited. So we're officially one year.
Speaker 2: Oh shoulder shity, whoa whoa eleven months Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, well we're about to We're coming up on one.
Speaker 3: Year, coming up on one year in September.
Speaker 1: This baby we call Brown Ambition.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it's been a year.
Speaker 1: I know, it does not feel like it.
Speaker 3: This will be episode four, dy no, this will be episode fifty.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Like, how where has the time gone? Just what it feels like to be a parent.
Speaker 3: Who you're asking you're the one.
Speaker 1: Baby baby? No?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I don't know, but it just feels you know, it just feels like part of my life now, like it just feels natural. It's you know, it's so crazy. I can't fully remember before we started doing this because it's just like, oh, something that we do every week, and at the same time, it doesn't feel like it's been that long.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, this is just something that we do.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well, thank you for coming on this adventure with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, thank you for like slow, lovely romantic?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna ask me? Are you gonna propose?
Speaker 3: Finally I did when I said, Tiffany, will you do this podcast with me? I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll figure it out, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, that's literally that's what I said.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, I'll see you with my star power. Sure. No.
Speaker 2: I just was like, because you know what, I wanted to do a podcast, but I was like, I don't have I'm not technically inclined at all. So it was just like kind of in my mind like, oh, that would be nice, but not you know, I can't possibly do like the stuff behind the scenes, and then here you came in, and I'm like, oh, even better, because who wants to hear you talking to yourself?
Speaker 3: I know, right, you know that happens, But I just it feels a good paid off. Like we look, I just checked our reviews and I haven't checked it in a while. Five star rating on iTunes. You guys, you guys, you disittle best five stars, Like there's a lot of great, good podcasts out there that don't have five stars. And I just feel like the love is genuine, and our audience is so like it's so loyal and just like loves the show and gets what we're trying to do here. So we wanted to find a way on our to celebrate our coming up one year anniversary slash birthday, to say thank you and to give back a little something something to our fans. So we're gonna host a Brown Ambition dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm super, super super excited.
Speaker 3: An intimate dinner with some of our our listeners, and we're gonna have a little contest and if you win. We haven't figured out all the details yet, because like I said, we're queens of planning.
Speaker 1: I was thinking out like, we don't know how many. We don't know. We just know that it's going to be in New York correct manny New York City? Yes, yes, so you have to be in the surrounding area and be able to get here.
Speaker 3: We're willing to you know, get here somehow. Yeah, but we'd love to have a small group. We're thinking in the five to ten people range. But it's just going to depend on what kind of responses we get to this contest. TIF, do you want to tell people a little bit about it what we're asking them to do? It's very simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just want you to share with us what does Brown Ambition kind of mean to you? How does it show up in your life? We just love to get to know you better. And this is kind of like our sneaky little way of getting to know how awesome you are. So yeah, so if you can email us at you already know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Lord of Mercy. Maybe by the time we get to be a year, she'll have our email address ready, said, go email us please at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com. The deadline is September first, September first, that is in how many days. What is today? I don't know what you have, like two weeks, two weeks, Please send an email with your name and yeah, tell us what brown ambition means to you and or tell us you know, what was the time in your life when you feel like you've really just personified brown ambition. We're just looking for really genuine, like personal stories because we know what brown ambition means to us. But we really are doing this for you and like as a way to acknowledge the power of literally brown ambition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we just want to get to know y'all eat some delicious food.
Speaker 3: The force of brown ambition. Yeah, what are we going to eat? I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I think I was thinking, like, remember that restaurant I was telling you about, right, Peruvian? Oh so it's a Peruvian Okay, Yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: I feel like good food. So the food will be popping, the conversation will be amazing.
Speaker 1: It will I'll be exactly So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're super excited, So don't forget send us what brown ambition means to you. We're gonna pick anywhere from five to ten guests, and we're gonna have Dindan in the City, New.
Speaker 3: York and yes we're buying. I know you're thinking, like, I'm.
Speaker 1: My budget, you know, just make your way here, we'll buy.
Speaker 3: So exciting I can't wait. Okay again Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And I love, honestly, I love when you guys tweet us because like I'll totally forget that I've said something like on like on the BA podcast, right, and then somebody will tweet us or you know, they'll tag me at the Budget Easter or Mandy.
Speaker 1: You're not Mandy Money on Twitter, You're Mandy Woodruff.
Speaker 3: I'm Mandy Woodroff on the Twitter US.
Speaker 2: Yes, Mandy with the I Woodruf two fs. And so when you tag us and stuff and they're like and you give us suggestions or you say like I'm listening and I love you guys, or you just sometimes you just like you'll just be like I just listened to something you said and it made me laugh.
Speaker 1: I love when you do that. So just I'm just letting you know.
Speaker 2: If you want to tweet us the BA podcast on Twitter and also us personally Mandy with an I Woodruff and the Budget Nista. I just love that just to say, you know, congratulations, happy anniversary.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Something we said that was funny.
Speaker 3: I don't know, And I know you guys are out there and you're not leaving reviews. So this is your chance. Okay, it's been a year. We're working really hard. Go to iTunes, go to SoundCloud, go to Google Play, wherever you listen, and leave us a kind review wherever you listen. It just means where people can find us. And I just want to say, we've already had five thousand downloads for the month of August and we're only halfway there.
Speaker 1: Look at us. We is fancy.
Speaker 3: On fire. Five thousand downloads, you guys, So who are you? Who are the people? Oh yes, get to the interwebs and find the reviews and review review review.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about these Olympics, can't.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it feel like the world has changed in the last week between the Olympics, like before the Olympics after, because my whole life has been watching these clips and these like live events more than First.
Speaker 2: Of all, mister Bolt, I just want to say the level of disrespect now, I'm just saying this in a facetious way.
Speaker 1: He is hilariously awesome. Did you see the memes?
Speaker 2: Like when he mid mid run, he turns his head and smiles cheekily at the camera.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't watched his race yet.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, many you have to watch it.
Speaker 3: First of all, is here the first thing that popped up when I googled his name, like this picture.
Speaker 1: Look at his feet blurry and his face is like you see me?
Speaker 2: He honestly, he's amazing. So first of all, so it's one hundred meters, so it's a very quick race. And so like you see them at the block and you see this guy has this huge lead. This man is like, yeah, that's cute. Clearly overtakes and then just blows past him to win the race. And I just was like, he's he's honestly just amazing. And what I was reading like, you know, more of this, Like I guess more of like the what makes him different is that most while most athletes or most runners are kind of de instead of accelerating, they're just you know, they're they reach a point where they accelerate very quickly and they start to slow down. When they're starting to slow down, it's really when he starts to really kick up, and that it takes him longer to decelerate. I don't even know if that's a word, but you know what I mean. It takes him longer for him to slow down. And I just thought, wow, just to watch him run he is And I know Jamaica was going crazy. I saw this funny meme of this guy like wearing like all Jamaican paraphernalia and like flag stuff all over his body, and they're like, how Jamaicans are gonna go to work today?
Speaker 3: The wait, wait, I'm still not over the gymnastics, which I know it's old news. Now, can we talk about the Simone Biles.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, she's just amazing.
Speaker 3: She's just like a little I don't I'd heard so much about her. I was almost like, let me just whatever. I don't feel like looking her up, like oh, she's the next next coming of gymnast god or whatever. But then I tuned in and then I actually watched her. I don't she's like an alien. She's like a four foot eight yes, like teeny tiny, nineteen year old alien human being.
Speaker 2: And then do you see, Like I remember her coach was like you could just tell her clothes, it's just like living. She was like, yeah, what Simone does on the balance beam. People can't do on the floor, like on four inches, she can't.
Speaker 3: It's like indescribable. I don't know all the terms and stuff. But it wasn't just her, you know what, when it was it was the entire women's gymnastics team. Like when they see all five of them together, they call themselves a final five. I don't know all their names. There's a really cute little Lori Hernandez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's from New Jersey. I'm like, oheay, she's from Jersey.
Speaker 3: And then Gabby Douglas of course, who was like the Simone Biles before Simone was Siman Biles at the last Olympics. She was there and it's just like such a diverse group of like young women and they all just loved each other and then they kicked ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like, you know the Olympics. What people don't realize is you think, you know, these people are where like all the American athletes have like Nike shoes on. They look very polished and like very like people think these people are rich, but they're not like most like I think just a small fraction them actually are making money off the sport, like Gabby Douglas's mom just filed bankruptcy. She she won the Olympic goal. Yeah, she won the Olympic gold in London. Her mom has filed bankruptcy because that's they They literally give their entire life, their finances, everything, everything to this sport. I mean, there's just not like a huge because people don't tune in to these sports until the Olympics comes around. Like who's watching shot put competitions like in you know, off season, you know, and giving these people the kind of ratings they need to actually bring in those huge advertising dollars and sponsorships and stuff. So these people and the ones who lose, Like it's not just the ones who lose either, Like I mentioned Gabby Douglass, Like these families are broke, so the Olympics for them is like everything. And there's this whole conversation about, you know, Malcolm Gladwell wrote a whole thing about whether the Olympics and this has He's not the first person to say this, but like how much money NBC is making off this broadcast and like these athletes, I think, like, if you don't win, you're not making hardly anything. I don't know, that's that's been in the back of my mind the whole time when these people when you see them crying and you see their parents crying, and you think, like they literally are giving they gave their lives for this moment and they don't win. You know, it's it's yeah, it's humbling and not to you know, now I'm the Debbie Downer, but it just brings a whole other element of like feels to watching them, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like you said, like you you give your whole life to this, Like it was I mean, this is kind of funny, but like somebody wrote, I think it was on BuzzFeed, it was hilarious. They were like they were talking about the Lussain Bolt meme and people were like, oh, I feel like he's you know, he's too arrogant or whatever. And he like this person wrote just some funny comment where basically he was like, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: You see the guy to the left and to the right giving his life, his soul.
Speaker 2: He's dying out here in Nusain Bolt is like, yeah, just trampling all over your little dreams, like you know, you know, like you worked here and you work eighteen years to get here, and he's smiling at the camera.
Speaker 1: Like you see me.
Speaker 3: That's the Olympics.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and some people are just.
Speaker 3: I just read only okay, just for to interrupt you, but okay, I just read that gold medal. As an Olympic gymnast, they only make twenty five thousand dollars for gold.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And it's not just a year of like that's twenty five thousand dollars over and let's just say I started, you know, really training four years before that is like less than seven thousand dollars a year in annual salary.
Speaker 2: So if you don't get like the weedies, if you don't get the endorsements and all the other kind of stuff, yes, then you know, and even then like yeah, you get the endorsements, it's just say, you get one hundred thousand dollarsand addorsements, but it costs that much for your coach.
Speaker 3: And then what if you get injured, there's no insurance, Like you don't get covered. So go support your athletes. Stop rolling your eyes. Go to NBC dot com. You can watch if you have a cable subscription, you can watch the live and post live videos on NBC dot com.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean my weekd was it was definitely some high points and some low points. A friend of mine actually passed away. Yeah, it was so crazy, because you know how you just feel like when someone passed you like I just saw them. But it was kind of coming. She had diabetes that she'd been struggling with, but it was some people's diabetes. I feel like it's really aggressive.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I know people who have diabetes and you'd never know, And then I know people who have diabetes and it's like breaking them down. And hers was really I guess, I don't know, it was breaking her down. And she had livered trouble. At one point she was getting dialysis and then then she had developed congestive heart failure. Meanwhile, she's twenty nine, so not like some old woman, you know.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was crazy because like she so she she was a poet and also too she did lock so I remember she spoke tipically, you never do anything with your locks. Come to the shop and I'll do them for you for free. Don't even worry about it. So I came, and I don't even remember how I first met her, just from like I guess, being in on the art scene in Newark, but just she was a big personality, just super sweet and nice, and she often drew my locks. I went and then right before Essence, I remember freaking out saying, my hair is too long. I need to get it trimmed. So I called her and she said, well, I'm not in the shop anymore. I'm not feeling so great, but you can come to my house. And I said okay, and I went to her house and I just remember thinking what happened to Brianna to breathe. She she came to the door, like it took like nearly ten minutes for her to get to the door, and I'm thinking she home. She came with a walker, and I mean twenty nine years old, young, vibrant, beautiful, and I thought like, well what happened? And she said, you know, my diabetes is really taking a toll. And I just remember the whole time thinking why are you cutting my hair? You should be That's how she was, like, Oh, I don't worry about me, how are you?
Speaker 1: You need to be ready for Essence?
Speaker 2: Just so giving and kind and it's like you can feel her aura. She was just one of the sweetest people. And so she's cutting my hair, talking and meanwhile I complained more about the weather that she complained about her predicament, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, I'm not feeling so great, but I'm really grateful that I'm here and I'm happy, and I'm just so grateful. And I just remember thinking, you know, you have nothing to complain about, Tiffany. But I also remember thinking that because she lived with her mom, who also has diabetes, and I remember thinking that it looked like they were having a hard time as far as like getting around, and so I could not shake like the feeling of like.
Speaker 1: I have to do something. So I call one of my friends who's a social worker and.
Speaker 2: Said, and she's like the queen of advocacy, Like there's always a program. So I called her my best friend, Linda, and I said, hey, Linda, you know, I just came from a friend of mine's house. She looks like she's struggling, she has medical issues. Is there something she can apply for? And Linda, of course, and Linda fash I've known Linda literally my whole life.
Speaker 1: Our parents used to actually be roommates. And Linda always knows a program.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, girl, there's a program where they're going food shopping, where they're clean your house for you, all of this for free.
Speaker 1: As long as you qualify.
Speaker 2: And so she was like, ask your friend if she would mind getting on the phone with me and I could walk her through. And so I hit up Brie and she said yes, I would love that, and they connected and Linda basically walked her through the process of applying for these programs that most people don't apply for.
Speaker 1: But then the next day.
Speaker 2: Her health started fading. So this is like maybe a month or two ago, and not even a month or two, just a month ago. And so she went to the hospital the next day. But the plan was when she got out, the programs were going to start. But she went to the hospital, we went to visit her in great spirits, sit doing poetry. She was so awesome, Like every time we went, there was always someone. There was always people at the hospital visiting her. People don't visit their own mom, but they would come see her, you know, and just in such great spirits. And so I just assumed, like, Okay, she's getting better, she's looking better. And then she took a turn and then this weekend she was on a ventilator and like I just kept telling Linda something that to feel right. I'm calling the hospital, but they're saying she's not there, and I just I had called her a few days before and she didn't pick up. I text her, she didn't text back, and that's not like her. And Linda went like found out like she was at a different hospital and as soon as she got there, they had honestly pulled the plug, like within moments of her getting there.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, what, that's awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it.
Speaker 3: Just diabetes is you know, I think people make light like light of diabetes, but it can kill my I have a huge history, my family history of diabetes, and I mean, especially with her about the black community and mynes in general, diabetes is a killer.
Speaker 2: It is on a Superman's mom passed away early. I mean she was still in like I believe her fifties diabetes, and we worry about Supergirl because she is like her grandmother's twin and just worrying about like making sure that her health is like where it ought to be. I mean she's active and she's young, but still and it just I didn't realize the extent of like what diabetes can do heart, liver, and just so quickly.
Speaker 3: Yes's treatable, and it's you know, but it's like you have to have access and the resources, and it just has to be like part of the community culture. And I feel like it hasn't really hit black communities. Like my aunt, you know, Aunt Shirley makes You Rest in Peace, passed away about five six years ago, and like she had the treatment, she had, had her leg amputato below the knee amputating, and like all these drastic procedures and yet and yet you go there and they would be the orange soda and they would be the pizza, and it's it's it's sad, but it's like, you don't know what. I don't know what's at the root of that, but it was it's sad to see so many of my family sort of be taken way too early. I mean way too early. My just like Superman's mom, My grandma died in her late fifties from complications of diabetes. My dad had diabetes until two years ago. And let me just give a shout out to Obamacare for this. I don't know if I've told you this before, but so when Obamacare was enacted, the first thing I did was called my dad and I was like, we're signing you up since I since my parents. But when I was ten, my dad is not as health had health insurance. Ever he goes, always goes to the emergency room and waits eight hours to be seen for whatever. But he got Obamacare, got a good plan, and he went and he got gastric bypass surgery and immediately the diabetes went away immediately, And ever since then, he's changed his lifestyle, he's eating better. Yeah, he invigorated him. And I'm so happy because for the longest time, I was like, is my dad next, Like he's in this it's almost sixty, you know, this is like the danger zone. Not many people in his family make it past sixty. So yeah, I don't know. I I think what you did, and I think we just like could reach out to people more, yeah, and help them with those issues.
Speaker 2: To me so young though, and honestly this has been there was a few like kind of like life lessons that I learned.
Speaker 1: One was to, like, like.
Speaker 2: You said, visit your friends, go check on them, like not just phone call because.
Speaker 1: On the phone everything seems fine.
Speaker 2: It wasn't till I went to see her, you know, and then it's something doesn't feel right, act on it, like I wish, you know, I like, just there's so many services out there, Like I always tell Linda that she needs to start a business called the on.
Speaker 1: Call Advocate, because it doesn't matter where we.
Speaker 2: Go, Like you know, someone could be like, oh, you know, I have like you know, left toe pain, and it's like, you know, there's a program for left hoe pain.
Speaker 1: So but there's so many programs.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people don't know how to navigate. And I always saw she should start a business, you know, showing people how to do so. But like you know, visit those people that you care about, help them research programs. There's so many available to you. And two she with despite the fact that I'm sure she was feeling terrible as far as physically, the grace and the courage that she displayed. I mean, some people, you know, they pay lips.
Speaker 1: He so, oh, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: She was genuinely grateful, just like such a warm spirit. I remember thinking, like, how can you not be angry or mad? But none of that was there, And I just remember thinking that it just reminded me to really walk in a space of gratefulness, you know, because here. She was grateful for where she was at that moment in time, despite things happening, and sometimes I have everything and I'm way less grateful at times.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, it sounds like she knew that she was loved in the end. Yeah some funds around.
Speaker 1: Yeah so yeah, not coun be a Debbie downer. But I'm like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was just like she sh like, just thanks for talking about it. I think we it's always good to talk that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So it is time for brown break or brown boost? Are you breaking or boosting?
Speaker 3: I always take a break? Well, shoot, I want to do both. First. I want to give a boost to all the Olympic athletes because obviously that's been my entire life recently and you're all amazing. I want to take a break.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've been noticing, but there's been a little and especially for Gabby Douglas, there's been some like it's like somewhat sexist. I'm pretty sure most of it's like rooted in sexism, but just like the way that announcers and reporters have been like referring and not just reporters, but like fans on Twitter and stuff have been reacting to these athletes. And I'll just use Gabby as an example, because like, people have been dragging this poor girl Olympic gold medalist from twenty twelve, like respect. You should give her some respect, have been dragging her. There's a mouse, give me out in this apartment.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, hold on, they went under the bad tiffany, I know, I know, god, it was a baby.
Speaker 3: I thought it was over.
Speaker 1: It's never New York.
Speaker 3: It's never. Oh my ship. Okay, all right, all right, we need like that that that like public service announcement. I don't know what to do. Maybe I shouldave that in the show.
Speaker 1: That would be funny at least part of it.
Speaker 3: People are gonna like, I'm sorry, I'm just sorry for your ear drums everybody right now. But this is a nice emergency. If you know a good exterminator in the New York City area, please give me a call. I digress. So anyway, yeah, so I was gonna take a break from haters on Gabby Douglas. Oh so she did not. She deigned to not put her hand over her chest during the national anthem while at the Olympics, and people just dragged her and said she was unpatriotic, blah blah blah, her mother and her finally like, you know, her mother, of course, Mama Bear, Mama Bears cannot hold back. So her mom, her mom took to the media and was like, listen, not only is my father like a two time Vietnam War veteran, and we have strong military ties, you know, strong family ties to the military. It was highly you know, rude and insulting for people to challenge our patriotism and like and not just that, but like making fun of Gabby's hair, which has been like has been a thing since the last Olympics. And I'm just like, what is it going to take for like these young women to get some respect, you know, like stop trying to take stuff away from them, you know, whether it's because she's young or black or talented, Like, it's just not fair. So on her, I take a break.
Speaker 2: I just I also because she's supposed to be this is supposed to be one of the happiest times of her life. She's accomplished so much, and it's hard, you know, even when you do well, it's so hard to kind of like close yourself off from like, you know, people doing stuff like that because you're a human being.
Speaker 1: I feel.
Speaker 2: I just wish I could give her big hug and be like, Girl, like you don't don't use this amazing time in your life to think about those people who are being hurtful. Although I know it's hard that you are doing something that literally not even one percent of the population could attempt, you know, And.
Speaker 1: So just focusing on that and just rocking out. You're awesome.
Speaker 3: And if you're on the Twitter is brandan ambish, just do the hashtag we love you Gabby. That's what I don't yeah, to show her your love because for every hater out there, there's a million people who love you who are not on Twitter exactly. And I just feel bad that she tries. She works so hard. She's crying at the Olympics when it should be just like this amazing moment for her. Yeah, people just suck sometimes.
Speaker 2: So Girl was away with her her mom on a road trip. I said, Supergirl had like the best summer ever. She went to California, she did this road trip. She did so many amazing things at nine. Can you imagine she's got a better life than nine than I had at thirty thirty. So she was away and so me and Superman. We were like, it was so nice to reconnect. So we were like, well, who are you. My name's Tiffany. You know, I got dressed up for like the first time and ever. He was like, you look nice, and I was like, wow, hasn't been that long. We had like a day long date where we hung out in the morning, we went to lunch. In the afternoon, we took like a nap, and then we went out to dinner. We went to a movie, we went to like this pier. We stayed out till like two or thre o'clock in the morning. It was just such a nice, like you know, love weekend. So you know, hopefully there'll be a new super Baby coming soon.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, I didn't like I was on music. I'm like, she's not responding to anything I'm saying right now. I was like, I was doing that. Let's get it while all those are gone. Did you guys put on the Barack Obama nighttime playlist for you? God friendly?
Speaker 1: You know what? You know what the music? And we like, he likes Drew Hill, the Drew Hill Radio.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's amazing. I feel like like Casey and Jojo and boys, tonight comes on. Oh my feah pup.
Speaker 1: Come my god. That song happened Thursday.
Speaker 3: Yo, that song was my was my sexual awakening. Honestly, that song on pop up video in the morning before school, I was ready to go.
Speaker 1: Yes, drew Hill.
Speaker 2: Radio for those of you who are not to know, if you're in your late twenties, thirties, maybe even early forties, put do you have a paper and.
Speaker 1: Put on some Drew Hill Radio that will get you in the mood.
Speaker 3: You're like, yeah, for oh, make love to you like you on me like an un ironic way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just honestly, it's like the best radio station. It's it's the radio station that just keeps on giving.
Speaker 3: Well, it's nice that you guys took time for your love, which I feel like, you know, can fall to the wayside in life.
Speaker 1: Are there any questions or do you want to just do a quick tip?
Speaker 3: I do have a quick question from a reader, So she has an auto loan question and I want to answer it. Car loans I feel like more well, I don't feel I know. Study show Stata data shows that the number of people who are getting stuck with high interest car loans is out of control. Car loans are easier than ever to get, which is awesome, but people often find their way. We've talked about this before, getting stuck with like double digit interest rate loans. So we had a question from a reader named Ronie and she says, I have a car loan of twenty two thousand dollars on a twenty fourteen jeep Cherokeree, Cherokee. What am I saying? Cherokee? I pay six hundred dollars a month for this slow I'm a single mother with two sons. My question is how can I pay off or get rid of this SUV note? I want to start saving for a home for my boys while living and pinked oh. I want to start saving for a home, and I'm also working on paying tuition for my eighteen year old son. I also have a little bit of credit card debt and about seventy five thousand dollars worth of student loan debt. I mean, this woman could be like the picture of America right now, with you know, auto loan debt and student loan debt stressing her out even more than the mortgage debt. Like, it's a lot going on. And so to answer her question, it's difficult. It's hard to answer the question. I actually went back to her and had to ask, you know, a little bit about her credit history and sort of found out their credit isn't too great. And when that happens, people are afraid of what like, they're afraid of not getting a proofer a loan, so they don't go to a bank. They go to the car dealership and they walk in and they say, hey, you know, my credit's not so good, I probably can't or something nice, and the auto dealers like, oh, I'm your best friend. We're just friends here like, oh, we can get you a great deal in a car. We're definitely gonna get approved one hundred percent. We have this financing department back here. Sit down with my friend Joseph. He's gonna hook you up. And next thing you know, you walk out like this woman did, with an eighteen percent car note, which is like four times, no, not five times more than typical interest rates on car loans. So unfortunately, the best, the best advice for people listening, if you haven't found yourself in this situation yet, it's just like, don't put yourself in that situation. Always shop around for a car loan. Yes, never go with a dealer's financing unless he's like your godfather and he's say he's like, you know, giving you a one percent deal or something like that. But it's almost always a bad deal, always because they know you're desperate and they know you're insecure, and.
Speaker 2: You don't and you don't have to. Like I'll say this, so super super Mom, that's Supergirl's mother.
Speaker 1: I remember she wanted a car.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the car that she has just kept breaking down and she was like, oh, I want a car. She just got herself in twenty sixteen, Hana or something or other. But what happened when I, like when I first started dating Superman, you know, we mad actually really like herd we're both libras, and we talked about finances and she became a DreamCatcher. She started raising her credit score, she raised it one hundred points in the last few months, and we talked about, like, you know, she really wanted a car, and I said, you know, you should make sure you join a credit union, come with your own financing. And so it took some time, but she was able to do so. Now her interest rate is not definitely it's not like one or two percent, but it's not eighteen. And so she was able to get her financing from her from her credit union and bring it to the whatever dealership that she desired and was able to get her car. And so you don't have to have perfect credit in order to do so, you know, should you take some time to raise your credits care certainly, but even now her credit's not perfect, it's just better, and she's better.
Speaker 1: I could just tell she's so proud.
Speaker 2: Of herself, like, and I'm proud of her, you know, to like taking the time raising your credit score in a few months, doing the research, going to apply for a loan responsibly and getting it and then able to being able to get the car that you really wanted, because she's like, I've always had used cars.
Speaker 1: They're always you know, they're always breaking down, and now I'm able to get this car and it's mind.
Speaker 2: So that's what I would say, is that, like, you know, start with a credit union, and if you're not a member, you should join.
Speaker 1: Everyone should have to me.
Speaker 3: You don't always have to be a member. Oh really, you know there are credit unions. Pen fed is one, listen, I know. I talk about magnifying money a lot, but you have I'm gonna post this in the in the blog post on brownmission dot com today, but we have an auto loan refinancing tool where you can put in what kind of loan you need and how much and a lot of the best rates are offered by credit unions and you do not have to be a member.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I did not know that it's true, not for all of them.
Speaker 3: For many, yes, but not for all. A lot of credit unions are lowering their standards a little bit to allow more people to to take advantage of their low rates. But absolutely totally support hashtag indorse the credit union and you can't you may you know, if you have bad credit, refinancing may not be a possibility. Because you do it's like taking out another loan. So you have to have pretty decent credit to get qualified.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes dealers will try and talk you into rolling your loan over into a new somebody who wrote, we do trap, huge trap.
Speaker 1: Don't don't do it. I said, don't do it, girl, don't do it.
Speaker 2: She's like yeah, because I they said we could get a better card and I was like, girls, so you're gonna owe you'd be paying for one, but owing for two.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 3: It's like just like almost doubling the debt you already have. Yes, you can ask to renegotiate. Not very likely it can happen, but it's worth a try, and if it comes down to it. Sometimes, you know, the experts I talked to when I was doing a story on this said, sometimes you just want to cut your losses, sell the car, and start fresh.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what Superman did. When I first met him. He had this huge truck. He loved it, loved it, loved it. His his payment was literally rent. I was like, who yo, GMC played you brother, And so he ended up doing that.
Speaker 1: He ended up.
Speaker 2: He actually went what did he do? Yes, he sold the truck. He sold it and just started from scratch over. And he actually went to the way he was able to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, these people areking me crazy. Sorry Mandy.
Speaker 3: The opposit tipany hot hotline blaying.
Speaker 2: And what I what I what I had him do was he actually went to his credit union, got a loan to pay it off while you know, and that way at least his interest rate was way lower, and then was able to sell it. And so start from scratching. As a result, he's debt free. Now you know that was really like that in some credit card that which he since paid off. So he's debt free as a result of making those choice. At first he thought it was like evil, girlfriend, look what you're making me do. And now his credit score, which was a five something when I met him, is a seven.
Speaker 3: Fifty man, and I'm like, he upgraded?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you're welcome. So that means my ring right, I just.
Speaker 3: Picture like a little walm with like a star on the end going dang babity bobbity boop, better credit. That was the next step though. Yeah, so when you just to reiterate, when you sell your car, you're probably gonna, you know, use whatever you get from the car to pay off a chunk of the loan. Then you'll have leftover so you can then apply for a personal loan through a credit union, which is an amazing place to start. And I'll put another link to our personal loan, Magnified Money's personal loan site. And again, like Magnified Money is awesome because it's all unbiased advice. We just do all the hard work for you. Blah blah, blah, it sounds like a sales pitch, but it's awesome and you can use that personal loan to pay off whatever balance you have and then start free Superman method.
Speaker 1: Exactly where's that credit score?
Speaker 2: And then paying off the truck in full like that was one of the things that helps to really significantly raise his credit score because he paid down a huge amount of debt.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, absolutely absolutely so. If you guys have any more questions, feel free to email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com. And while you're at it, tell us what Brown Ambition means to you and enter our contest for a dinner with me and Tiffany.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we're gonna eat at the most yummy place. When you have this food, you're just gonna be like, where has it been my whole life?
Speaker 3: This chicken will give you life?
Speaker 1: What will give you life? Take it and then reinstate you.
Speaker 3: Yes, she said whatever, whatever, she just said. It's very late at night.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. Ah, we had a wild night tonight from the phone ringing to the baby mice. It's just been listen.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you, let me update you guys in on the operation Mice. The thing this tiny baby is still in here somewhere.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how you're managing.
Speaker 3: People have been coming in and out. I've been putting it on mute. There's lots of activity, but I have not seen this critter be caught. And where there's a baby, there's a mama, and.
Speaker 1: Yes, and other babies.
Speaker 3: To you, guys, my life right now, I don't know who I am anymore? Am I an adult? And what is happening? I live with my in laws and the mice are out of control. Okay, anyway, let's do some Let's do some wins.
Speaker 2: Yes, all I do is win when when, oh, well, I'll give a well no, I'll wait on that because that's like a personal win.
Speaker 1: But I haven't signed the contract yet, so.
Speaker 2: Let me not.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be like, actually, no, well I'll set you off it here.
Speaker 3: I love contracks.
Speaker 2: I know. Let me see any wins that I have seen on the outside. I mean, I guess my wins would have been like Olympics, But you know we already talk.
Speaker 3: Can we cheat and just do the entire Olympics America team America?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can do. We could totally do that because.
Speaker 3: I think we can all agree that is the biggest one of the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll say Team America, but then also usaintan Ball because he's bananas and amazing and a.
Speaker 3: Win for health and for helping friends who may not be you know, willing or may not I feel like they can ask for help. Yeah, go out and call your friend tonight and ask them how they are you may not, they may not be doing well and then may be too afraid to say anything and.
Speaker 1: Ask them for real. You know how you do that? Oh, hey, hey girl, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm good? No, but like really like, no, sincerely, how are you? How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: You know, when people I actually want to know exactly, and.
Speaker 1: So do a little dip.
Speaker 2: That's that's your homework till next time, do a little a little bit more of a deep dive with somebody that you care about and taking the time to just say, no, how are you?
Speaker 1: Actually is everything really okay?
Speaker 2: And you know because sometimes, like you said, if someone asked me, hey, Tippy, how are you, I always say fine.
Speaker 1: Because I know that's what they mean.
Speaker 2: Like they just it's just a greeting, not that they really want to know, not because anything's wrong just because. But if someone asks sincerely, how are you really doing, then they get a different answer. So I challenge you to do that with your friend this week.
Speaker 3: Well, luckily I have resting bitch face, so people always think something's wrong with me and just always ask me what's doing? Ah, So I have plenty of opportunities to event But maybe people out there.
Speaker 1: That's just a b a ba problem. Brown girls, you know we're always accused of that.
Speaker 3: So I don't care. It's my face, it's the face God gave me. This is my expression. Give me something to smile about. It might change, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm done, all right, y'all. We will see y'all next week.
Speaker 3: Uh see y'all next week. Look forward to hearing your Brown Ambition contest entries again. Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail, dot.
Speaker 1: Com dot com.
Speaker 3: Hye bye bye. All right, Oh my God, pray for me