Speaker 1: Welcome to zero. I am Akshatrati this week, entering the mid Transition. We're constantly told that clean energy is now cheaper, and yet the transition away from fossil fuels is proceeding at a glacial pace. Why is that. One answer might be that we are living through what some experts call the mid transition. Everywhere you look, you see the coexistence of two types of technologies, one that runs on fossil fuels, the other that runs on electricity from clean sources. Now, both these systems have advantages and disadvantages, and there is an ongoing struggle between the two, a tug of war between two very different futures. But having these two systems run in parallel comes with costs, which makes this mid transition more expensive and more politically fraud. This is all true before you add the uncertainties that come from geopolitical events such as the wars in Ukraine and the Middle East. My guest today is Emily Krubert, a civil engineer and an environmental sociologist currently at the University of Notre Dame in the US. She studies the mid transition, and so I wanted to ask her how can countries successfully navigate this mid transition to the benefit of their populations. Among the four largest carbon polluters, we are already seeing climate action slow down in the US, and there are signs of much lower ambition in India and China. So the answer to managing the mid transition matters more than ever before. If you have feedback, questions or guest suggestions for the show, please get in touch at zero port at Bloomberg dot net. Now here's my conversation with Emily Kruber. Emily, welcome back to Zero.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me so among your.
Speaker 1: Many research areas you look at this idea of the mid transition. But let's just start at a high level. Define what is the mid transition?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is actually a really important thing to define upfront, because it's not necessarily clear when you're in it. But what we talk about is the mid transition is a period where you have a fossil based system and a non fossil based system that are both big enough to constrain each other, which I think is kind of a critical point with a lot of the oil stuff that's going on, particularly, but also small enough that they can't provide all necessary services that we get from the energy system. And this is sort of the tricky period between two stable end states where you have a mostly fossil based system and a basically non fossil based system on the other end, they're both easier to manage than this middle period.
Speaker 1: And is there a clear example or two where we can see that tension play out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think where we see it most clearly right now as in the electricity sector. And my co author Sarah Hytink Simon and I had kind of thought about when you you can sort of heuristically determine whether you're in the mid transition and kind of determined it's probably around when you have twenty percent penetration by the new system. So we see that more in electricity than other places. But as examples, solar coach element because you have a hard time ramping back gas or coal or nuclear plants or something is one version of this. Similarly, really really high ramp rates for gas plants to accommodate solar coming online. Those kinds of given takes and sort of constraints on each other are pretty characteristic of what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: But then some grids around the world, I mean, I live here in the UK, and last year something like sixty five to seventy percent of the electricity came from zero carbon sources, not only renewables because there's nuclear in the mix. But are those beyond the mid transition then.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. So it's funny because we hadn't really set out to make this a twenty eighty problem, but it probably is kind of a twenty eighty problem. I think if you have a system that's sixty five percent non carbon, which as you say, is not quite the same as a brand new system, because you're still working with things that basically follow the old rules, like a nuclear plant behaves a lot like a fossil plant. Hydroplants have been forced to sort of behave in ways that are consistent with the way that we've handled systems in the past, and so those ones do kind of reduce the constraints that you have with the changing system. But that said, like if the zero carbon system can't actually handle everything yet, that's where we would consider that to not quite be fully all the way through yet.
Speaker 1: So on the grid itself in the UK, there is a particular challenge, but I think this will show up in many other places, which is the UK has some of the highest prices of electricity in the world for many reasons, but one of the reasons is the mid transition. It has invested in all this cleaner energy generation, mostly offshore wind, which is fairly expensive even now, but it has to maintain this fleet of gas power plants, and it has to build out this grid that will move electricity longer distances because a lot of the offshore wind is in the north in Scotland are whereas a lot of the consumption is in the south, in the London area, and so you are getting a more expensive energy system and it's causing a whole bunch of political problems at a time of cost of living crisis, inflation, another energy shock, and so people are blaming the transition. People are blaming net zero. Are they right?
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting question. I'm glad you brought this up, because I think one of the things about mid transition that gets so complex is that there's a reason that you want to get through it as quickly as you possibly can. I think people misinterpret my work sometimes to say, oh, like this is going to be hard, therefore we should slow down, and actually we're kind of making the opposite point, You should try to get through this as quickly as possible, because on the other side things look better. But like you're saying, I would argue it's not the fault of the new system that things are expensive, but it is true that during the mid transition you're having to pay for duplicative resources. You essentially have to maintain all of the fixed costs associated with both the fossil system and the non fossil system until the fossil system can be retired. But because of that, we do expect some cost reductions once you actually have completed that transition, because you no longer have to maintain the pipelines, the safety infrastructure, the inspection infrastructure, all these kinds of things. I think there is a lot to be said for being honest with people that the transition is going to be tricky, and again, this is why you would like to get through it as quickly as possible. And I think we do have a really really strong set of evidence that the other end of this is going to be cheaper, better for people, better for public health, and all those kinds of things. But I think the hard thing I suspect this is true in the UK, it's certainly true. In the US, we have allowed our institutional structures to exist such that much of the fossil system actually needs really substantial remediation once it closes as well, which is not necessarily something that's easy to extract from the companies that are currently responsible for those systems, just because of the intensity of it, and because of the way that we've sort of avoided having to do that in place, And so the notion that there might actually be a lot of back end closure costs is also something that I think we need to be fairly clear right about.
Speaker 1: So you're saying it would be useful if we get through it quickly, because these costs are doubling up our maintenance of these two systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, the war in the Middle East and the closure of the strait of hormones again sort of showed, you know that the fossil system has its own critical vulnerabilities, let alone the external impacts on climate change. Do you think the case for countries to then accelerate the transition to a cleaner energy, more electric future is just now much much stronger as a result of the war.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say much much stronger because I think that case has been extraordinarily strong for quite a while. I think it is a good illustration of why we think that this transition is so important.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: But it's really funny for me as an American because I feel like so many people have talked about renewables as a way to enhance energy security because they're sort of inherently domestic, and so now what this conversation at least here turn into, well, we have to redouble our efforts in a while to enhance our energy security. It's like, really, it's an interesting take, but yeah, the transition is something that we expect is going to make countries more dependent on domestically accessible resources that can't be blocked. There's some questions about manufacturing capabilities for the machines needed to do the conversions, but for the most part, you're not really reliant on a fuel anymore.
Speaker 1: So we are starting to see signals from countries that depend on importing fossil fuels that they would like to speed this up. There was an announcement from France that they are going to double down on electrification of homes, on heat pumps, on electric cars, and they're putting in a bunch of subsidies toward it. We've seen movements in Asian countries to try and accelerate the deployment of renewables. Again, those are countries that have been very dependent on importing fossil fuels, and in a fossil fuel shock that those kinds of moves makes sense. Then there's the countries that are fossil exporters, like the country you are in, which is just less and there are a bunch of those countries, like about twenty percent of the world has enough fossil fuels for itself and then to export it. Why is the case for speeding up the mid transition for those countries for the exporting fossil fuel countries also one that should be speed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think fundamentally it is really just about this point that we need to do this, and the end state is going to be much more stable than the middle state. I think one of the things that we talk about, even beyond costs and beyond the fact that you're paying for two systems at once, is just the reality that when you have these two systems that were really designed to work together and would both probably function a bit better if they didn't have to accommodate. The other one is just that you're exposing yourself to a whole suite of risks that we haven't really thought about before. It's really interesting and also kind of tragic watching some of the after action reviews for big power outages or other kinds of issues that we see emerging, where it's like, in retrospect, this could have probably been predicted, but we haven't really spent the time to do that. And I think that really, even just beyond the fuel security risks that are becoming, I think clearer to people that don't think about this all the time, what's interesting is there's so many other good reasons to accelerate this transition, cost being one of them, risk management being one of them, and just actually getting to a place where you're reaping all of the benefits of having transitioned, so again, public health benefits, climate benefits, all sorts of things like that. But yeah, it's true that the exporting countries are in a bit of a different mindset, I think if you're only looking at global demand processes rather than some of the reasons why we want to transition. But I don't think that's a reason not to.
Speaker 1: And so are there economies countries that you think are navigating the mid transition On the well side.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I think I am one of the people that probably would argue that we're less in the mid transition and then most which is funny. I'm so happy that this term has resonated with people, But I think my caution a lot of the time is we're barely in it. Like you said, I think there are some electricity systems around the world that are in the sort of early to middle stages of this, just managing inverter based resources as things that we haven't really had to deal with before. But for the most part, like with transportation, I don't think we've entered this stage yet. I think most of the challenges that we're seeing are sort of inherent challenges of the fossil system as opposed to being real challenges of transition. I do concede that I think there are some places where people are making some anticipatory choices that are reflective of the expectation of transition, but we're not necessarily really in the place that's going to be hard. What's nice about the anticipatory stuff is it's my pretty firm belief that if you plan for this, you can really not eliminate but reduce the risks and reduce the added costs quite a bit. And so that's encouraging.
Speaker 1: And can you give examples of these countries that are taking on the anticipatory moves already?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I won't give you a country example, but just one that I've been working on a lot lately is refining in California, which is sort of country scale. So I'll let this example maybe slide a bit, But what we're seeing in California is about a ten percent penetration by zero emissions vehicles as light duty vehicles at least, which is bigger than you see in most places, but is still not dominant by any means. So oil demand is declining, It's not declining that fast, but it is declining. But we're starting to see refineries announcing their exits in ways that are creating a bit of a scramble to figure out how to manage this where supply is dropping faster than demand. What makes this example so interesting and disclosure, I've been working with the California Energy Commission on these topics for a bit now. But what makes this conversation. So interesting, I think is the recognition that actually, refinery exits are consistent with state policy goals, and they are consistent with what the broader trajectory is, but they're misaligned with how demand is changing. And so I think California is doing a reasonable job recognizing that this is a problem and trying to think hard about what happens next, but they too aren't quite in it yet. I think there's a couple of other situations around the world where you see sort of similar things, where there's just an expectation that things are going to change. What gets complicated about that is that just because like a government might be pretty committed to seeing those kinds of transitions happen, doesn't mean that companies in particular believe it. And I think that that's the pattern we see more frequently actually, is people sort of playing chicken a little bit and saying, well, you say this is going to happen, I don't believe you, and so I'm not going to do very much about it until I have to. And then you end up with these very very tricky situations where you're essentially really enhancing market power of particular firms. You're really putting countries in a bit of a bind about losing critical services. This is not a fossil fuel example, but the UK just went through this with steel, and I think that's not the only example we've seen of this recently.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Another way is where the country is plunged into a crisis and then it has to act. So we saw in Spain last year that the blackout that you know, many people blamed on renewables, but it was a whole system wide problem of not just being able to manage voltage, not particularly a problem that renewables was causing. And so they are now. You know, I have had number of reports come out and a number of policy changes that have happened as a result, and that ought to be something that the rest of European grid is going to learn from as well, because one of the report comes from and so E, which is the European Wide Transmission Authority, and they are taking on the lessons of automating certain changes that happened in the grid that were being made physically at that you know, required people to be present at a particular place that really don't need to be. You could automate these things that are now being deployed. Another one that I don't have as close and understanding is the blackouts that have happened in Texas. What have been the outcomes of that, because Texas itself, at least on the grid, is kind of toward the mid transition, just given how much renewables and batteries that's added to the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and they are as you know, their own system essentially, and so they are having to kind of manage this on their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about the after action on the gas system in Texas, I think is that without those blackouts, a lot of it was around gas deliverability. This is something that I'm frankly personally kind of obsessed with and have been for a while. It was obviously a very tragic event, and the illustrations that it gave us, I think are really instructive. Not necessarily because of the degree of transition that they were in. There were other issues there, and there were some previous cold snaps that they hadn't really implemented recommendations. From that said, I think one of the things that we see a lot in deep decarbonization models is this assumption that the gas system is there to catch you always and that doesn't necessarily acknowledge that the times when you're expecting in a model the gas system to catch you are actually the most challenging operational conditions and the most challenging deliverability conditions. Whereas with Texas you have a lot of questions about does gas go directly to people's heat or does gas go to the power plant? Is the line frozen? Did you bother to recognize that this was actually critical infrastructure now? But I think one of the things, sort of like we were talking about before the mid transition, poses these new risks that you don't necessarily see. And I think that illustration is actually really important because in the Texas situation, people just sort of assumed that the gas system would be ready for this without informing those assets that they needed to be the backup in this kind of a situation. That's not totally fair. I think some of them probably had been informed into an act that said there were these new conditions where people sort of assumed things would be fine and they weren't. And those types of outcomes are again, I think, predictable when you look for them, but can catch you really off guard in really dangerous ways if you don't.
Speaker 1: After the break more of my conversation with Emily Grubert. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. It makes the algorithms happy and helps more people find this podcast. A lot of the conversations so far, we've looked at sort of rich country examples, you know, Europe and the US, which are energy systems that are not really growing right now. Okay, the electricity system might be growing a little bit faster than it has, but overall energy consumption has been declining in Europe for a long time now, whereas in developing countries energy consumption all across the board is rising. Is the mid transition faster to go through if you have a growing energy system, I think.
Speaker 2: It is, and especial if it's a situation where you're not really expecting to have to retire a bunch of stuff. It's funny because I think that the sort of long term industrialized countries are in a bit of a different situation here, just because we have the advantage of having pretty old infrastructure, so you don't really need to worry about amortization and stuff like this once you start really looking into transition, that's a challenge, I think with countries that are still growing their systems in a fossil reliant way. This is I think an interesting callback to a lot of the conversations about leapbrogging that happened many many years ago when people were starting to look at distributed systems. But the notion that you might actually have utility scale systems that can leapfrog and just skip the need to actually retire your fossil assets in some cases not all, And obviously I think there's a there's a higher benefit to providing people energy services at basically even if that's fossil based for a pretty significant proportion of what is actually still needed. That said, the more that you can avoid building stuff that you know you're going to have to retire, I think, the easier this transition becomes. So you're right, just the fact that they are growing without necessarily also having to shut down a bunch of stuff I think does change the situation. But like to the broader point, even the long term industrialized countries, if you do assume that electrification is happening, we're still talking about at least in the US, I think the statistics are mostly that our electricity capacity might need to grow by a factor of two to six or so to accommodate a lot of the just primary energy sifts over to electricity. So still huge growth environment, but with this added challenge of closing things. That looks a little different in countries that either have not really provided modern energy services widely, or have done so but have brand new fossil based systems, and I think those two conditions are also quite different.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in the case of the UK, for example, the core power plants are already aging, and yes, maybe some of them had to be retired maybe a few years early, but it wasn't too much of a problem, not fifty years early exactly, Whereas in places like Indonesia or China or India where they're even now building coal power plants for them, the lifetime is fifty years, and so if you're going to have to retire them to three decades early, that's going to be a hefty cost. So yeah, so in a way, then the point you're trying to make is that given how complex the energy infrastructure is and how long the different parts of it exist, changing it requires a lot of good planning a lot of future thinking, and that requires a lot of political stability, which there isn't around most countries. So let's come to sort of the sociology hat that you wear in doing your research and look at how to manage this from a political point of view. So for so few companies, I mean, the US is probably the best example of this, have a lot of leverage on politicians and does have a lot of leverage on how the energy system is planned for. So what is it that needs to be done to ensure that a realization that clean energy is the future is one that allows for clean energy voices or governments to think about how to get to the meat transition and go through it pretty quickly. How do you manage the politics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. I feel like it's almost a trope at this point to be like, well, the politics are harder than the technology. It's interesting because I don't actually think that's necessarily been true the whole time that I've been working on energy systems. But we've seen so much technological advance that makes it pretty clear that we have the ability to do this that I think we are squarely in the version of the world where Yeah, the politics are hard. The good thing about politics is they're not bound by thermodynamic constraints, at least usually, so I think it is something that goes well beyond like, you know, can we come to a compromise position that's based on a policy that we've seen work in some other structure in the past. And I'm being a little oblique here, what I really mean is, I think, especially looking at the US and a lot of the policies that get exported from the US, there's a huge emphasis on kind of looking to say, you know, when we've done clean air policy in the past, looking at acid rain or smog or things like that, these were the kinds of things that worked in those situations. We're past the point where that's helpful, I think, And so in thinking about managing the politics, I really think this has to be around why is the future that we're talking about so much better? Why is the future that we're talking about one that's going to enable you and future people to actually live a dignified life. And these kinds of points I think are much more important than your kill what hours are going to be twenty percent cheaper, or you know, you won't have to look at this pipeline or whatever that kind of a thing is. But I think really talking about this as a social transition that will be better once we get through this really challenging thing, that's part of it. What's interesting, I think from a sociological perspective is people are remarkably altruistic when they actually trust that that altruism is going towards something like people are shockingly happy to sacrifice when they think there's going to be a good outcome at the end of it. And I'm not saying this to say like, yes, we have to go into entire sacrifice mode. Obviously there are many people that don't have much to sacrifice and shouldn't be asked to. Nonetheless, I think saying something like the rhetoric around a lot of clean energy development that's sort of like there will never be any problems, it will be very wonderful and nothing bad will happen and everything will be great, I think is not that helpful because people suddenly realize that actually there are some challenges that we need to navigate. But I think people are willing to kind of accept if you explain where we're going that like, Okay, I didn't really want to look at that solar farm, but my not wanting to look at it is not that big of a deal compared to what that's going to be able to provide to me, So that's part of it. I think the other thing that I think about a lot, and this looks a bit different in the US than it does in a lot of other industrialized context, is just that what this actually means for social safety nets is enormously important. I started out saying this kind of tongue in cheek, but I think it's actually a really important thing to say, at least in the US. I don't think you can do the energy transition without universal health care. And the reason is essentially that a lot of the resistance to transition, especially in fossil fuel host communities, is related to people's sphere that if they lose their jobs, they lose their health care. So stuff like this is more interlinked than I think people realize. I think another big difference about the US that people may or may not be familiar with is we're not totally unique. There are other former British colonies that have some holdovers of this actually too, but we're almost unique in the sense that we have private mineral ownership, which makes our structures and who kind of controls the narrative around fossil production quite different than in most countries where the government owns the minerals. So the fact that I personally can own oil here is globally pretty unusual, and yeah, does change the politics quite a bit.
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about the carbon four, which is India, China, US, and Europe. In those places, only the European Union is the one that is sort of sticking with the ambition needed to act on climate. And Okay, they're not doing all the things that you need to deliver on that ambition, but they are sticking with the ambition, whereas India and China have actually become more cautious on that ambition. And of course we know the politics of the US, and the US is kind of giving up at least at a federal level. But in all these three places, the social safety net is actually fairly weak. India is a middle income, low income country, does not have much of a social safety net. China is now a high middle income country, could really have a social net for its people, but it does not. Still, it's better than what the US social safety net is in a way. Yeah, it gives me a pause that if you really do need a social safety net for an energy transition to happen, just how much longer the energy transition will take because the only region where there is is social safety net of a kind is Europe.
Speaker 2: On the one hand, and I think that is plausible. On the other hand, I sometimes think that politics change quickly at times. This is something that I think is also really interesting to look at if you just look to geology and stuff like this, where for a really long time, geologists thought that big landscape changes couldn't happen quickly, and then started to develop newer models that were like, well, you know, when glacier dam's break or something like that, you can actually carve out a canyon in a really really fast amount of time. And I think, like the speed thing is a thing that we think about a lot. I actually think that a really carefully planned and coordinated transition that is integrated with a lot of these other political wins I guessed, where you can really show people what life is going to look like if you actually endure this for a little while, probably means this goes faster and sticks harder. I think people tend to and I'm not saying that this is what you're saying, but I think people tend to kind of say, well, if we plan, we have to stop what we're doing. We're not doing anything, and so I'm not sure that planning is going to slow down are nothing, if that makes sense. And I think that sometimes combining a lot of these issues and really trying to form a lot of coalitions around political change, it has the potential to move faster than doing it one at a time. Who knows, but I think there's a shot that this could actually be faster if you do it well well.
Speaker 1: But there's an argument that people make about technology, and look, once it's cheaper, it is inevitable that we will be going towards that system. And we have seen in some places that the takeup of clean energy technology, is of electrified devices has really taken the S curve and is really going much sharper but than many predicted. And it's happening in developing countries of all places. You know, we've covered stories of Ethiopia and Nepal and Thailand and Vietnam when it comes to electric cars, for example. But you don't think that's the case that the technology becoming cheaper is not an inevitable outcome for this transition.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, and again, coming very much from a US perspective, I want to acknowledge that this does look different in some places, but we I think reasonably it's it's become a bit of a challenge, but reasonably our electricity system is not actually a free market. Why I think that's good is because it reflects the fact that we actually don't want this just to fail, like this is a critical social service and it's something where we actually do put pretty tight constraints on making sure that the power stays on. But because of that, in the US at least, we have a lot of institutional structures that basically mean it doesn't matter what's cheaper, and that's been quite visible so where I live, and in Indiana, which is kind of in the middle of the US and is one of the few states without a renewable portfolio standard of any kind. I believe at this point half of the counties, the sort of sub state units of power have just banned wind and solar altogether. It doesn't matter if they're cheaper, they're banned. And that's not a unique outcome, and so like those kinds of things that we see, that's not really so much on their regulatory side. I think even within the power systems, just rules about being able to show that you have certain voltage characteristics and all the things that you actually can show with a lot of inverter based resources right now, but we don't necessarily have the structure to accept those. There's a lot of barriers that go well beyond cost. But yeah, I mean to your point, people are constantly shocked when they're essentially like, well, you know, the reason that we're not seeing a whole bunch of solar and wind up take is because they're too expensive. It's like, no, they're actually far cheaper than even operating the system that we have right now. But there are these other barriers in place that mean that it's relevant, but it's not the driving force. So I think in some places the regulatory setup is a bit different. Here at least cost is helpful, but it's not enough.
Speaker 1: Marcarnie Primishure of Canada has been talking about this idea of the Middle powers coming together, and not just for climate but for all sorts of problems, working together, creating coalitions to Act. You raise the point about the mid transition also requiring all sorts of manufacturing of these clean energy goods, which right now is very heavily constant treated in one country in China, And so can you see a place where Middle powers come together and allow for speeding up this mid transition.
Speaker 2: No, it's a fascinating question. I actually had one of my undergrad research assistants look at this pretty recently because I was really curious, is the capacity for solar panels, specifically manufacturing that we see in China sufficient to supply the whole world if you just assumed that there were no geopolitical barriers on that kind of thing. It looks like it is actually, which is sort of interesting, and I think this is not a new thing, but I needed to convince myself that this was true. But yeah, I mean, this is a really interesting piece of the transition related to energy security that I actually didn't expect to see. But this notion that there is global manufacturing capacity that's maybe not sufficient to actually result in deployment is sort of a one of many kinds of conditions that we could see ourselves in. I think when you talk about the Middle Powers getting together if they're essentially aligned on who they're willing to train with and stuff like that, then yeah, that's probably helpful. But at the end of the day, like we are talking about redundancies in our manufacturing capabilities for reasons that may be justified and maybe aren't depending on your perspective. But like, this notion that you want to be self sufficient in manufacturing is a new version of energy security that I think that we haven't really dealt with before.
Speaker 1: So if you're saying that we're just at the beginning of this mid transition, then are these arguments against net zero, against the cost of the transition, et cetera. Are they going to become more difficult or do you think that given these technologies become cheaper, become more dominant, that people will see the advantages that flow from them, that it becomes easier to deal with the mid transition arguments in the future.
Speaker 2: I hope it gets easier. I think what's actually kind of interesting about being at the beginning of the mid transition here is that if people are worried about it now, that's actually much better than being worried about it when you're in the middle of it and having to deal with all of these operational constraints. At the same time as you're thinking about it, we're still in kind of an anticipatory mode and being like, oh wait, I'm starting to see the edges of what this might look like. But having this be as a result of a shock, whether it's from a war or an extreme climate event or something like that, as opposed to just your everyday condition is actually a much better position to be in from the possibility of doing well. I think we haven't screwed this up yet entirely. There are things we've screwed up already, but we're not really committed to having missed this one, and so I think that there is a lot of opportunity to kind of leverage these glimmers of people understanding why this might be so hard to really do a lot better. We haven't done it yet, so I don't want to be too optimistic about how that's going to go. But I think recognizing this before we're really really facing a lot of these operational constraints is a really good thing.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Emily, thank you so much, and thank you for listening to zero Now for the Sound of the Week.
Speaker 3: Splash Down confirmed at seven oh seven pm Central Time five oh seven pm Pacific Time. From the pages of Jules vern to a modern day mission to the Moon, a new chapter of the exploration of our celestial neighbor is complete. Integrity's Astronauts back on Earth.
Speaker 1: That was the conclusion of the Artemis two spaceflight, as the Integrity Space capsule landed back in the Pacific Ocean, bringing the Forest Notts safely back to Earth after their voyage around the Moon. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our. The music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Samersadi, Laura Milan, and Sharon chen i'm Akshadrati back soon.