Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Yo, what's up, buds? What's up, pals? What is going on? Forever Kondo? Shout out to all the Vastos and everything. Cavino just said. Guess yeah, Covino and rich In for the great Dan Patrick. Oh yeah, you know, today is Wednesday, which means on our show, we're gonna do midweek major I was, Sam's gonna give you some fun headlines.
Speaker 3: But is it their new Love is Blind Today?
Speaker 2: Yes, new episodes and new shrinking, Yes, sir on Apple TV and then tomorrow traits, which is great because there's no real sports going on right now.
Speaker 3: I can't get into the Olympics for the life of me. For the laugh of me.
Speaker 2: How about the new clues from the Nancy Guthrie case. No DNA, no DNA match. I mean, it says breaking news as we speak, but it's probably nothing.
Speaker 4: Sam Hey, in a quick programming noted in exactly an hour from now, we're gonna give away some seat in our prizes with Big Mike's words of wishing.
Speaker 2: Oh and you know what, you can watch everything we're doing on the YouTube channel YouTube dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash at Coven on Rich FSR.
Speaker 2: You can watch Iowa Sam live on the xylophone. Let me tell you not to be all over the place. But you just said, like we just said three things, the Guthrie thing. Yeah, I didn't like the lead investigators say like it could be years.
Speaker 3: I'm like, who wants to hear that?
Speaker 2: Apparently morale from the entire investigation because people are like, we don't want to hear that. We're trying to keep hope alive and years get auty and while we get ready for the second half of the NBA season and get ready for baseball and the World Baseball Classic. We said yesterday there's a bunch of old people fighting, Mike Tythan and Mayweather.
Speaker 3: And you got Gina Carano and Ronda Rousey.
Speaker 2: There's a lot coming up, but as of right now, this week has been a real chill week and you got Sila buff fighting in uh Nola for no reason.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be uh.
Speaker 2: I think today gonna do a little binge with the ify of Love Is Blind and watch the forty nine ers documentary. That's the plan today because it's rainy and I'm just gonna sit around And you still haven't watched Kat Williams. Who do you say has a squarehead again? Fiddy sent and Herman Munster. I do wanna say hello to Frank Caldando who listens to the Dik Patrick Show?
Speaker 3: Hi Frank?
Speaker 2: Who else? Who else? Is asked? Do we want to kiss? Oh the Sandman?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, Adam Sandler, if you're listening, we want to be in a movie.
Speaker 5: Yea, and our boy doctor Dre.
Speaker 3: And I was gonna say doctor tunes in Race's.
Speaker 6: Birthday sixty one today rain ding Dum, I'm gonna have a ding dog in celebration, ring ding ding ding dong ding dong man ding do.
Speaker 3: Let's say birthday Doctor dress had some young kids like the headphone guy. Yeah, the headphone guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. One of the best producers in the world.
Speaker 2: Right, shout out to Dre. All right, let's break this baseball thing down real quick, Tony. How could one ever you did forgetta me, Danny. We're celebrating. We're wearing these party hats. So Covino and rich A few things we love tacos, wine and chocolate chip cookies, wine, chocolate chip cookies, a nice heiney and baseball dude, baseball love talking baseball and baseball has been popping the past few years. We never gave up on baseball, so baseball, you better not give up on us. Tony clarkson the News. Fan love baseball. I coach pony ball. It's my passion. You pony boy, call me pony boy, because other than did you better than me? You know, honestly, other than like doing this show and being passionate about our career, coaching my kids is my passion.
Speaker 3: I love baseball.
Speaker 2: I coach baseball, I coach softball. I am a monster fan of the game. It's the best game.
Speaker 3: It's uh listen. I feel like football is the most fun to watch.
Speaker 2: That might be my number one sport like everyone else, But if you grew up playing baseball, you just have this love and passion for the game. I think baseball is just a beautiful sport. Everything about it, everything, every little thing about how they magically worked it out one hundred plus years ago, that a ground ball to shortstop, if played cleanly, you're out by a step, like the measurements. Everything about baseball is freaking perfect, perfecto.
Speaker 3: Even though they're taking away the Kazon this year and you're gonna have to be like, was that a strike.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to go back to like the old timey time, you can have to go back to the twenty tens when there was no Kazon.
Speaker 3: But Tony Clark's in the news, and this is no way. This is not good news.
Speaker 2: Because the baseball season that's coming up, you better embrace it, you better love it, because I don't feel good about where things go from here. The equity to enrich themselves is that someone in the way of saying he stole money.
Speaker 3: Well, that's only part of the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is sort of a juicy story, and much like a juicy heine, as we already mentioned, people love a juicy story. Yeah, and Tony Clark, who was a great player in Detroit, speaking of Detroit sports, played for my Yankees. Yeah, hit a ground rule double that could have prevented the whole two thousand and four the bacle with the Red Sox grew out of Beard in retirement, became the head of the MLBPA. He's the head of the MLB Players Union and he's resigning now. For me, it's a two part crazy story because he got his sister in law hired.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, like three years ago.
Speaker 2: Turns out he's having relations with her, took her to a Bangladesh. That's a no no on multiple levels. Right, that's the whole company inc thing and scandalous. And it's his wife's sister. Like whoa hey, slow down, Tony Clark. And now he's under federal investigation because they used licensing money and equity for themselves, so allegedly allegedly his wife's sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, he's scamming money, yeah, a little allegedly, little oral and then you know the old BJ Sirhoff was in full effect, little bj Upton. You know he was doing all sorts of shenanigans behind the scenes. Gett a little sticky, icky icky.
Speaker 3: What's worse?
Speaker 2: By the way, when when you said sister in law would have been worse if it was his brother's wife or his wife's sister, why I didn't need to know? Is there a worse facts here? Let's see, wife, they're both bad. If you're so bad, let's play it that, let's speak. I was trying to figure out what was worse. I don't think there is a worse one, all right, let's play there is, actually there is.
Speaker 5: There is.
Speaker 2: If you were to sleep with your beautiful girlfriend Jordan's sister or your brother Tommy's girlfriend, my brother Tommy's girlfriend, that'll be worse because that's my brother.
Speaker 3: You're betraying your brother.
Speaker 2: You can't betray your brother. You can't betray your brother like that. And I'm not saying betraying your wife is even is better, but it is. It's a little worth less worse. You're betraying your wife in both cases, yeah, but in this case, you betraying your wife and your brother. See the difference. One is betraying your wife and brother. One's betraying just your wife. So I guess he took the lesser of the two evils because he was with his wife's sister.
Speaker 3: That he got higher. He deserves a pat on the back.
Speaker 5: What a great guy.
Speaker 2: That's so shady, dude, Like, you can't be pulling favors for your uh, sexual pleasures or something.
Speaker 3: So he got his wife's sister hired in the MLB.
Speaker 2: She was part of the MLB Players Association, apparently having relations. And that's scandalous enough. And then when you hear the rest of the story, you're like, oh, Well, the phrasing I saw was equity to enrich themselves insinuates allegedly some type of money grab correc Sam, whuld you say that siphoning of sorts equity to enrich themselves sounds like some.
Speaker 3: Legal skimming off the top? Yeah, little money here, little money there.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: By the way, guys, and infidelity leads to home wrecking, but it also leads to getting into your work.
Speaker 5: It's also it's work wrecking as well.
Speaker 3: Home and work wrecking a reminder to uh, don't dip your pen and company, inc.
Speaker 5: That you know not.
Speaker 2: Everything's like an sleazy eighties comedy where you know you your proper up on the photocopy here, there's no sanctuary anymore.
Speaker 3: Don't do it. It's not worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I say, don't proper up on the photo like it looked fun in some eighties movie that you saw.
Speaker 3: But it's not worth it.
Speaker 2: By the way, how many times has that been a plot line in like a stupid show or someone took if someone took a success someone took.
Speaker 3: A copy of Budgets. No, it's not worth it. I don't care how hot she is.
Speaker 2: And you know what, ninety percent of the time I'm just making this thatt up ninety percent of the time. According to this guy that you heard on the radio, it's what we call relative proximity hot.
Speaker 3: What does that mean? She's not that hot. You're risking your career and reputation on a person.
Speaker 2: This goes both ways. This isn't towards the ladies. Ladies, this goes towards the men too. They're relative proximity hot. They're hot for the office. They're just hot for the office, and outside of the office they're not even that hot, and you're risking it all. And listen, MLB doesn't need this headline, doesn't need this story. Things are good. I can't say, listen, if there's money skimming, then I don't feel bad for him.
Speaker 3: But the relationship part, by.
Speaker 2: Goodness, this how many men, and you can say women, but how many men have have let their pursuit of boutet bring them down?
Speaker 3: Bring them down?
Speaker 2: Politics, sports, entertainment, family members, friends.
Speaker 3: How many people do you know, really.
Speaker 2: Let let's be honest ask get in the way of their whole life as like we are just you know, there's something just so stupidly primal about guys.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's like I got life like this is a guy stupid. This guy had life by the nuts. Tony Clark, he did.
Speaker 2: He was a professional athlete that was successful. And it's how easy to make that transition from l to head of the MLBPA. Respected good guy, but you've seen it with politicians and athletes and important people. By the way, fifteen years in the league. He had a great career. How many home runs you think Tony Clark had over or under three hundred?
Speaker 3: I was going to say two forty seven?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I don't know. I have the number five to my head. You're close to fifty one.
Speaker 2: Have you noticed I have like some odd knack for these little guests the game. I mean, you got that giant head at least his field with something. Because I was like no, But when you said tony clock, I'm like, probably about three hundred, but not quite.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, do you all right?
Speaker 2: I'll push on a spot again since you like this game so much?
Speaker 3: Was his career high?
Speaker 5: Performed this on Mondays on our afternoon show one.
Speaker 3: I know how many career high home runs?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We have like twenty eight thirty four? Okay, yeah, I mean you're in.
Speaker 2: The ball and he had like two seventy two the years career, Yeah, close to sixty two.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, but he was a solid solid in Detroit. He was a he was a force. Again.
Speaker 2: He grew out that rip van Winkle beard and became a big dog in the MLB.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean he had a great reputation. That's what really stinks.
Speaker 2: It not I'm not making excuses for dudes at all or women. It's just it really is wild to think how many people.
Speaker 3: Really let what's in their pants control their brain? What's in your pants? Let me come on pulling up our feedback on the into chat right now.
Speaker 2: Like I said, if anything from this story is you got to keep your fingers crossed for the MLB. The timing's bad. Let's you gotta remind yourself that, Yeah, I get it. That dude in the office, or that woman who's strutting her little business booty down the hallway, Yes she looks great and all, but it's not worth it. Get a grip Arrowsmith style, Get a grip and focus on I don't know, work. Aren't you supposed to be working? It's not worth it, guys. Now, let's talk about the real ramifications of baseball because this doesn't only affect the livelihood and personal life of Tony Clark. This guy, you know, made some mistakes. We're all human, so I'm not going to come down too hot on the sky. But wife's sister, man, my goodness, Luise MLB, this guy's horned up.
Speaker 3: My goodness.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing. There's so many people out there. You had to go at your not only someone you work with, someone in your family. Dude, calm down, relax. Formal CBA negotiations are expected to begin in the spring. If no new deal, shout out to FDR on President's Day week. If there's no new deal, If there's no new deal reached by December first, my dad's birthday.
Speaker 3: What's up Dad?
Speaker 2: Of twenty twenty six after the season, so we are safe for one full baseball season.
Speaker 3: But if there's no agreement reached.
Speaker 2: By December first, I'm sure people know, but we could be looking at a lockout, a shutdown, and a possible delay of the twenty twenty seventh season. And here's the big, like elephant in the room, salary cap. Not one in Major League Baseball or any sport for that matter, wants a salary cap. Salary cap just means players that are gonna get Pryce Harper definitely doesn't want. Yeah, remember he told the commissioner and get the f out of the locker room, and like tell you, I think he gave the throats. I think he gave the commissioner a wedgie. He said, don't even think about it. But no player wants salary caps. Flapped him because you're what you really want is the most money possible. There's a narrative going around that this kid gets sticky icky because no player in the Union is gonna want a salary cap. And they're saying, every owner except maybe three or four teams. You took Dodgers, he took a thirty teats and who else they're saying, maybe twenty five Danny of the thirty teams, the Yankees, I know, they're being a little stingy. So the Yankees, they're saying, are back and forth, like the Yankees will spend, but they wouldn't be opposed to a salary cap.
Speaker 3: So who's the third team.
Speaker 2: It's like the Dodgers Mets, and they're saying Steve Cohen just yesterday was like, you know, Dodgers, I could spend too.
Speaker 5: I know, I don't think the Blue Jays would be down with.
Speaker 2: Is that the thirteen they're saying the Phillies might be open to spend. But Danny, even Steve Cohen historically as a Mets fan, I know this, He's gone back and forth on Listen.
Speaker 3: I'm willing to spend.
Speaker 2: But just because I'm a billionaire doesn't mean I have like an open wallet and it's just endless, like I'll spend when and how I can to make my team try to win. Yeah, So the timing of this is bad for baseball because if you got Tony Clark resigning like that doesn't help anything, doesn't help negotiations here.
Speaker 3: What's what's the solution here?
Speaker 2: Since Tony Tony Gonzalez, since Tony Clark is out the mix, what do you think happens this year? Do you think unfortunately with baseball poppin O, Tawny Judge Soto, Bobby Witt Junior, all these young stars of the game, the schemes and all the way you just named without even thinking about it. Yeah, the top four hitters projected in the World Baseball Classic this year.
Speaker 5: Look at that.
Speaker 3: I'm on the pulse.
Speaker 2: Those are the top four hitters, not in the correct order, but you just named them without even knowing it like that. Do you want to throw the fifth out there just to see you're right? So I said, all right, you said, you said Judge, Shohy Witch Junior and Sodo the fifth. Who's the fifth top hitter in the WBC in twenty twenty six next month?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I'll give you a hint. He plays for ten USA no Usay, no, I know Mike Tratt's not playing.
Speaker 5: You got this.
Speaker 3: We talked about him all year. We talked about him all year. Yeah, you got this.
Speaker 2: It just proves how forgettable he is. National League, American League, American League. I'm not putting you on a spot because when you when I tell you, you're like, all hold on, it proves to you.
Speaker 3: Gunderson, No, I don't know, you know what.
Speaker 5: I do want the projected to talk about him? You want to?
Speaker 2: I want to talk about if we have time today. If not, you got to check us at our regular time five to seven on the East tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Don't tell me.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I could top the top hitter rankings for the WBC came out.
Speaker 3: I could take thirty seconds.
Speaker 5: To figure this out.
Speaker 2: Sure, I named all I named the top four, all right, Bobby Wood Jr. Soto and then I'm sure the top two are Judge and Otani. You pick your poison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: I got an issue with how they ordered him. So if we have time, I want to talk about it. If not tomorrow, Yeah, who's the fifth Judge? O'tani? I said he plays for Team USA Soto with junior Team USAM USA stacked. By the way, And if you're not pumped about the WBC, then you must not have watched the last one because Japan won and ended with sho Hey striking out Mike Trout just as a reminder that it was so dope. I know it's not my boy, Polar Bear Pete on the on the Orioles, Now you're gonna hate yourself, come on Rich again. That he proves how oh how ridiculous our conversations were last year, George Springer, No I tour conversations.
Speaker 5: You're back and forth. You're arguing on the air.
Speaker 3: We thought about it for like months.
Speaker 5: You took one side, but you were genuine about it. But you were on the other side.
Speaker 3: When he proves he's not in the conversation.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 5: It is your debate about that which.
Speaker 3: Proves, yeah, he had a great season last year, but was he really the MVP? Can I tell you no, it's so far off my radar. That's man, I'm sorry, great hitter. They have him ranked fifth.
Speaker 4: Our year end special. Your guys' argument about that made that special.
Speaker 2: According to the WBC hitting rankings, not player rankings, hitter rankings, he's fifth. And I'm not going to debate that guy hits bombs?
Speaker 3: Do you guys think that?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, in twenty twenty seven, we're going to see a delay to the baseball season.
Speaker 3: You think they'll you think.
Speaker 2: That's that's I guess the core of this, even though people want to talk about the scandalous part of it, well the scandal, the scandal's part makes you realize that without Tony Clark, who's a big cog in this, in this machine, he he's.
Speaker 3: The rep right danergy, he's like the main dude.
Speaker 2: So now and when the union and the players talk to the owners, which is supposed to these negotiations are supposed to start, like I don't like now almost did you say a big conquer hog? Would you say, why did they do interview the sister lull. I mean he's walking around like it. Okay, I just hope baseball much like the I was saying. You're a WNBA guy because you're a Kitlin Clark fan. Sure you don't think it's counterproductive if they don't get things figured out, like when does that?
Speaker 3: When does that supposed to start? Oh, it definitely puts a dark cloud, overcast cloud over.
Speaker 2: And I'm not trying to be the most counterproductive thing for the momentum that baseball has right now, just like the WNBA, like w n B A and I and I hate. I'm again, I'm not trying to be mean. If the w NBA stops playing, I feel like no is ever gonna watch it again.
Speaker 3: It might be the end of the league.
Speaker 2: Because in my mind, it's like I mean, in my in my mind like we were just starting to come around to it. It's like w NBA is hot, We're finally people get it, trying to sign network deals, doing everything. If the w NBA stops playing, do you think people are gonna go people stopped watching baseball during the strike in ninety four, you think they're gonna go back to the w NBA.
Speaker 3: Get out of town.
Speaker 2: Man, I feel bad for the expos fans, that was their season. I feel bad for the WNBA if they don't think. I feel good for is Paul on Ill because he ended up with a batting title.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even count.
Speaker 5: It does count.
Speaker 3: Ninety four?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Tony Wasn't it Tony Gwynn that could have batted four hundred and ninety four because he was he was real hot around that time. Coulda should have, would have. You don't want to deal with that kind of headache again because of the timing of this Tony Clark resignation. I just I just hope baseball figures it out. But what say you, buddies? Do you think you think baseball comes to some type of conclusion. It's almost like Danny And by the way, doesn't it also remind you not only are people a bunch of hornbags, right man? That a bunch of horned Like he's apparently allegedly under federal investigation because they use licensing money and equity money for themselves. Like people are just scamming off I said line for their own power. Name is Steven Sagall movie. Did Tony Clark think he's above the laws? And now he's under siege.
Speaker 3: Aren't killed.
Speaker 2: It's just like you can't trust anybody, man, man, you think you think you know, you think you know someone. I do think it would be so counterproductive. Do you think, because they're so far apart guys, that we as fans would be delusional to think there's an easy resolution. If every player on Planet Earth is like, yeah, no, sellar cap yep, ninety percent of the owners are like, no, we should probably do some type of cap.
Speaker 3: I think everyone thinks there should be a floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It becomes a debate, Danny g of you know our teams, like the Dodgers ruining the game or are they just better at business?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: So it's just a matter of how you look at it. And I am one of those guys that says, Yo, the Dodgers are just better at business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad you brought that up. And I'll give Collins some credit for this. I heard him talking about it a couple of weeks ago, and I looked at the numbers for myself.
Speaker 5: This is what makes it complicated.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers earned around seven hundred and fifty million dollars last year. They spent seventy five percent of that profit on their roster. The Yankees round the same amount of earning seven hundred and thirty million for the season, they spent around forty eight percent going into for their roster. So yeah, they're going into this next season exactly. You can't you can't tell owners exactly what to do with their money. But a lot of this comes down to who's really invested in putting that money back into their business, back.
Speaker 3: Into their team.
Speaker 2: You know, what sho heeo Tani did for the Dodgers also helped them greatly, right, gave them a lot more to play with.
Speaker 3: Props to them. I'm not one of those guys hating on that.
Speaker 2: I think they figure out of loophole that works, and they're doing great business. They're not playing by different rules, so that makes it fair, That makes it even an even playing field. They're talking about a bunch of rich guys, billionaire owners. Now feeling sorry, Now, can I give you like the basic breakdown for people that guess, let's be honest. I feel like a lot of times with negotiation and contract stuff, whether it be free agency, arbitration, all these things, I feel like a lot of fans just like, yeah, I understand it, but deep down inside.
Speaker 3: You're like, do I really understand that? Give us a cliff Notes.
Speaker 2: By the way, how many times did you use cliff notes? Cliff bailed me out so many times throughout life. I'm like to kill a mockingbird.
Speaker 7: How about how about Cliff cliff notes that was the original chat GPT. Yeah, like I need a summary of this book nineteen eighty four. How about Cliff Rich.
Speaker 2: If we ever win an awards, if we ever win a major award, just remember to thank Cliff.
Speaker 3: I just want to thank Cliff and all.
Speaker 2: The guy that helped me when I didn't want to read a separate piece and high school Cliff, here's some basics cove on. By the way, it started calling my one friend named Cliff and my phone when you just said that nice, Sorry, Cliff. How does revshare work in baseball? Is this a rev share for dummies? Revshare for dummies?
Speaker 5: Perfect?
Speaker 2: You know all those little books at the font the you know, the kiddie fond through the yellow cover. Rev Share for dummies, guys. MLB does not have a heart salary cap. Instead, it uses revshare and the competitive balance tax, which they call the luxury tax.
Speaker 3: In fact, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you a quick I'm gonna do my best one minute explanation perfect next right here Covin on rich In for DP that will shift, Gears will talk some football, give away some prizes, have a lot of fun with kevine on rich In for Dan Patrick Ash Wednesday, President's Day Week, Let's go.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it.
Speaker 2: J J.
Speaker 1: Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports.
Speaker 8: Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows. Two Pros and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Coward, Doug Gottlieb Cavino and Rich The Odd Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon.
Speaker 1: And The Ben Maller Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: On YouTube, Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away. DJ Sammy Sweetheart on the Ones and twos in the Mix with DJ Sammy Sweetheart. He was the original Sammy Sweetheart I want to be one of the Jersey shore on the two thousand.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't know that.
Speaker 5: Iowa.
Speaker 2: Sam the og is our sound architect on the show, and he's got Midweek Major for you today.
Speaker 3: Can't wait for that. Usually Midweek Major.
Speaker 2: Is hosted by Spots Spotcut Knee Surgery, so he's home in bed manning the videos. You could watch what you hear. Watch the videos. Covino and Rich FSSR. Covino and Rich FSR Speedy Recovery, the Spot. I just facetimes fot Yeah, to make sure all the video stuff was set up. Yeah, show them some wires. It's laying there without a shirt on. No, felt a little weird. Did you see his Pepperonis. I was like, put away your nipples, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Man, it's freaking me out.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it's Spot, it's Sam, It's super producer Danny g on the ones and twos as well.
Speaker 3: How often are you shirtless around your house? Not that often. Some people just love walking around their house naked. Nah. I mean I have a six year old daughter. Yeah, I can't be doing that. You can't be doing that.
Speaker 2: Nope, We're Covino and rich in for Dan Patrick, And this is the show. If you dig our show, this team, we have the greatest team in all the land. Join us Monday through Friday, five to seven on the East, two to four on the West. And Big Mike runs his place. He'll be stopping by later. We're gonna be playing a game. It's pretty simple. Let me just give you the heads up. It's called Mike's. I just almost forgot. I was like, who runs this place again?
Speaker 5: Mike?
Speaker 3: Mike?
Speaker 2: That's right, never heard of him, Mike, who runs his place? He walks around like he knows some stuff, and he does for everything.
Speaker 3: His shirt off.
Speaker 2: Sometimes he'll slap you in the head. He runs this place, and he has wisdom, so he shares that wisdom with you. Mike's Wednesday Words of wisdom. And if you could repeat it word for word, that's all you gotta do. Repeat it word for word, make it really difficult, verbatim as they say, you win a prize, pack some mini nerve, Football's koozies, the whole deal, all right, it's simple. The numbers eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. So we got lots to get to. But you promised Cliff's notes, Yeah, I said, I would give you the the one minute rundown of where the big discrepancy with salary cap, salary floor, baseball players and baseball owners, and where all this is going to lead to with or without Tony Clark. And now without Tony Clark, who, as we said, is the big story on a slow spot. That's what we're having a lot of fun talking about other stuff. The big story is Tony Clark having an affair with his sister in law, perhaps skimming money, allegedly equity to enrich themselves. To me, sounds like taking money, right, That's right? I mean, yes, that's just the fancy way of saying it.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 2: So while Rich prepares his cliffs notes to catch you up, I own to remind you that we're laughing the Fox Sports Radio studio and for over forty years, ty Iraq has been helping customers find the right tires for how, what and where they drive, ship fast and free back by free road hazard protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation tire Iraq tyraq dot Comy tire buying should be okay, remember when you were in school and they're like, all right, who read chapter four last night, and you're like, oh, no, don't.
Speaker 3: Call on me, don't call on me. But I was, and I was like, no, speak angly.
Speaker 2: I was always ready with my cliffs notes. So let me give you the breakdown quick. Here's what's happening December one, twenty twenty six. Between now and then, the players, owners, everyone needs to come to an agreement of how baseball will proceed in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: We could see a work stoppage, a strike, holdout, a lockout.
Speaker 2: And the unfortunate part of that is we've seen it before in ninety four, and momentum is on baseball's side. Baseball has been great in the past few years, so this would be really bad timing.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: How many people back then said, you know what left a bad taste in my mouth, and it took them forever to come back to baseball. And you could argue in the last decade those people are back. You know, fool me once, can't get fooled again. Don't do this again, baseball. We saw what happened in ninety four. A lot of people are like, f baseball greed money, These guys are rich. No one wants to see an NBA an NFL, AN, MLB, NHL. No one wants to see a professional lockout because the perception with fans is that these guys.
Speaker 3: Are rich, stop at play.
Speaker 2: And what makes it worse again is the Tony Clark resignation and the controversy surrounding him. So here's where the big discrepancy happens. When you look forward in baseball, people love to say, oh, the Dodgers and teams like that, the Mets, Yankees, Phillies, the Blue Jays now are ruining baseball? Are they ruining baseball by spending so much money and not allowing teams like the Pirates and you know, the A's and the Royals to compete.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing. There's no salary cap. Again, I'm giving you cliff notes. This is for the casual. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: There's no salary cap, meaning, unlike basketball and football, one team could spend the bazillion dollars on their payroll and some other team could spend ten million dollars. There's no limit, there's no ceiling, there's no basement. Well, what happened if like a Turkey Ali chic wanted to get involved in baseball?
Speaker 3: I've thought about that with college. What putting that out there? No, because think about it, that would be yeah, that would be the problem.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: It would take another guy to be like, Okay, I buy millions.
Speaker 2: I've heard people speculate what if what if some rich guy with an endless cash supplayer Sam forget pros.
Speaker 3: What if he took the weakest ass college of all time?
Speaker 2: It was like anil money out the ass where they just they got every elite college athlete and all of a sudden, like some weakass school.
Speaker 7: Buys the Iowa Hawkeyes and they win the national championship every year.
Speaker 2: That's the issue, right, No, no cap, no basement. And now people are saying there should be a basement and there should be a cap. People are now saying.
Speaker 3: There's no basement in the Alamo and in MLB.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're saying maybe there should be a minimum team spend and a maximum team spend that is a salary cap and a salary basement. Here's the thirty second rundown. Forty eight percent of net local revenue is put into a pot. So whatever deals the Dodgers have with TV and radio deals, ticket sales, local sponsorships, stadium revenue is put into a pot forty eight percent of it. Forty eight percent of the Pittsburgh Pirates put in the pot, Mets, Dodgers, Cardinals, Brewers, Rays, you.
Speaker 3: Name the team.
Speaker 2: Forty eight percent of the net local stuff is put in a big pot and then divided equally by thirty. So there are teams like the Dodgers and the Mets and the Phillies Yankees that end up having to pay. Now, if you go over the salary cap, there's even more of a penalty because you have to pay a luxury tax, an additional tax. The smaller market teams will get a check for their portion, where teams like your Yankees will have to pay. A team like the Pirates could be like, hey, here's one hundred million dollars check. Yankees might have to pay that that's not good enough because they're saying these local deals and that's forty eight percent. They're saying it's just not enough. Local small market teams can't compete. Now the luxury tax then sell the team. Luxury tax Turkey only penalizes teams that exceed a certain payroll threshold. It doesn't prevent teams from spending. Now, a team like the Dodgers could say we'll pay show hey Otani, We'll pay show hey o Tani a billion dollars. We'll make the money in fans around the world, in Japan, merchandise, everything, So they'll say, yeah, please remember he deferred his money. He's getting two million a year, right, two million a year for the best player in baseball. That rule applies to everyone in MLB. It's about getting the right player that's willing to do that for your team. They're saying small good business, saying small market teams, even if they reach that tax line, it's a stretch. Local TV revenue is the real divider here. Okay, here's what they're saying. Dodgers and Yankees TV deals like the Yes Network in New York or Danny g What are the Dodgers play out on here?
Speaker 3: What's the local spectrum?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: They're saying those TV deals are worth hundreds of millions of dollars a year, where it's not even close for like the local Royals TV deal, So you may rev share it and put that money in a pot, but it's still substantial. Teams like the Rays and Pirates are a fractioned of that. Big market teams have an easier time retaining star athletes. But again, that's good business. The S network was owned by the Yankees Entertainment Sports Network.
Speaker 3: They're saying with that for.
Speaker 2: Net local rev and the way it's set up now with the luxury tax for the high spending teams is not even close to erasing the gap. They're saying, it reduces it just a little bit. I know. The answer I think always is, well, if you're going to be a billionaire and own a team, don't buy a team if you're not willing to spend. But they're saying, it's just an uncompetitive advantage for a team like the New York Yankees versus a team like the Pittsburgh You know what, and here's what happens. Let's say there is a cap, a salary cap in baseball. It's going to change baseball as we know it. That's that's the crazy part about it. But you know what, we fear change, and you know what, life goes on and fight end up being fine. And you know, we talked about it recently. Anytime there's a.
Speaker 3: Change like oh no, I'm gonna hate it.
Speaker 2: The new iPhone update. No new iPhone update, they just give you two more notes and then and then we can move on. But it's fun to break this stuff down because I think a lot of us forget why this is even happening.
Speaker 4: Right, you brought you brought up the Pirates really quick though, rich and you've used them as an example before. And obviously they make one hundred of millions less than the Dodgers, the Yankees, the Mets. But guess how much approximately as percentage wise, they spent on their payroll last season? How much I told you Dodgers what seventy almost seventy five percent of profits, Yankees almost forty nine percent, twenty six percent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what That's what the Pirates spent on their roster.
Speaker 3: Damn. So so no wonder you can't keep a pulp scheme.
Speaker 4: No, it's almost like, yeah, you'd have to almost put You can't put all your revenue, all your earnings.
Speaker 3: But you got to put money back into your own business. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Here's what they're saying, Danny though. They're saying that star retention is harder in a small market. They're saying the cycle of develop star compete briefly at a high level, then those big stars leave is the repeat cycle These small market teams are on plus risk tolerance. They're saying the Yankees or the Mets or Dodgers are a big market team could absorb a real ass contract like if, like for the Angels, Rendon doesn't work out, no skin off the Angels back. They're in La California market team where if a small market team has a star bust, it could ruin that franchise for years. So what the solution is, Hey, that's above my pay grade. But these are the reasons why baseball's in big trouble because it seems like the players are like, yeah, not our problem. We want to get paid and play, and the owners are like, we want to cap, and the player like no, no, no, no, no, no, we want to If anything, the players want a floor, meaning like even the bunk bottom level team should have to spend a certain amount of money like the A's wasn't did there something like like Juan Soto or like you know, Darren Judge, are certain guys were making more than the whole roster? Oh yeah of like the A's, Yeah for sure. But the problem is too the MLB should have done this like thirty years ago. They really should have. Well, we'll see what happens. That's the issue. That's that's your breakdown, your thoughts. We'll take your feedback. Next, we'll have some more funn we'll talk about and if Tony Clark timing noo. Yeah, that not a good time to sleep at your sister's wife's sister. There you go, right, we got more Cavino rich next. Fox Sports Radio in for the great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Cavino and rich In for DP. Shout out to all the people hoping hear Dan Patrick who listen every day.
Speaker 3: Hey, you got it. Appreciate you putting up with us. We really do.
Speaker 2: It's an honor to be here. But join our show five to seven on the East Monday through Friday. Check us out. We're live in the Fox Sports Radio studio and after the show, remember our podcast goes up. Also our live stream, so you could watch what you hear now or in the future. You can also join the live chat. But yeah, check out the podcast. Danny g puts a lot of hard work into that and follow for free and send it to a friend and rate it five stars. We appreciate it. Now, speaking of watching us on the YouTube chat, the YouTube channel, who's got a more punishable face than Cavino?
Speaker 3: You Maybe you think your.
Speaker 2: Face is not punchable, you're the most annoying guy or no, thanks man, You're welcome. But Danny, you like to point out that there's a few punishable faces all sports. Now.
Speaker 3: They could be really good dudes in real life.
Speaker 2: So don't get but her Because I would say Nick Sirianni and I'm like, you know what, I'd probably liked the guy if I met him.
Speaker 3: Punch face. I got what I call resting D face. That is true. You do look like a guy that's a resting D face.
Speaker 4: Some people say Lane Kiffin, Yeah. Some people say Manny Machattah.
Speaker 2: God, you said Manny Mchatto, Danny, Not just because he's a Padre and you're a Dodgers fan. We're talking about the salary caps and how baseball could be, you know, in store for a letdown after the season.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the twenty twenty sixth season. As Billy Madison would.
Speaker 2: Say, stay here as long as you can, because you know we may not come up with a deal with the players, the union and the owners because Tony Clark's out now.
Speaker 3: And he also said sun tanned lotion good for me.
Speaker 2: He did say that. He did say pro tech me also say chlorofill more like Mori Phil. Then he said shampoo is better anyway. Manny Machatta with the punchable face, Machado, who's a Padre. And the Padres have backed off their owner, who I believe passed away, right, didn't Padre's own There was like a dude run and everything. Well, they're still in it to win it, Padre spend money. Machado says he is in love what the Dodgers are doing. He said, I f and love it. Every team should be doing it. S is f and great for the game. I think every team has the ability to do it.
Speaker 3: They just don't.
Speaker 2: That's what I said before. It's not like the Dodgers are playing by different rules, the same rules for everybody. So what did we learn, guys? Here's what we learned thanks to Tony Clark. If you're going to sleep with your wife's sister, don't do it in the middle of a big negotiation. Right, isn't that the moral of the story. Of course, don't sleep with your sister. I mean you're what I say last hour, Sam, he said, some gibberish, I miss folk. Yeah, people are like I heard this guy on the radio talking about sleeping with his sister. What not a good time to sleep with your sister's wife's sister. There you go, Well, don't sleep with your your wife's sister. Don't see me your sister. And we also learned that it's worse. Let's set your stepsister and that's the category you like. As far as sleeping with your sister in law, we discovered that it's worse to sleep with your brother's wife than it is your wife's sister, because it's double betrayed. It's double the trouble. Yeah, you follow that you betrayed your brother and your wife. I guess if you sleep at your wife's sister, you just betraying your wife. If you sleep with your brother's wife, you're betraying your wife and your brother.
Speaker 5: It's home wrecking, and it's work wrecking.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Tipping Company, Inc. And let's keep our fingers crossed for baseball. Yeah, let's go baseball. Love it all right? We got more Cavino and rich In for Dan Patrick, a true auto to fill in for Dan and the dan Nets.
Speaker 3: We got prizes to give away. Next hour. We'll do midweek major. Lots of fun. Love hanging with you, guys, Cavino and rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: Stay there,