Speaker 1: Pushkin. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and this is What's Your Problem, a show about people using technology to solve problems that matter. My guest today is Ben Bloom. He's the co founder and CEO of a company called Atom Computing, and his problem is this, how do you build a useful quantum computer? If Ben succeeds, or if one of the other companies working on quantum computers succeeds, quantum computers could make profound improvements in everything from discovering new medicines to building cheaper ways to store energy. Quantum computing today kind of reminds me of where AI was, say, ten or fifteen years ago. Huge possibility, lots of people working on it. Still not mainstream, but it's worth talking about now for a few reasons. For one thing, if or when quantum computers do work, they will be an extremely big deal. The science is clear that they can solve problems that are just too complex for traditional computers or even AI to ever solve. There are the potential energy and medical breakthroughs I mentioned before. Also, quantum computers can crack a common, widely used form of encryption. At the moment, giant tech companies like Google and IBM and Amazon are spending billions of dollars on their own quantum computing projects. Several smaller companies, including Ben Bloom's Atom Computing, have had money pour in from venture capitalists and public markets, and the Chinese government is spending billions more on its own quantum computing project. A lot of money and a lot of smart peace people and a high stakes outcome if it works. That's why quantum computing is worth talking about. Now, before we get to the interview, here's the basic idea of how a quantum computer is different than a traditional computer, a classical computer. In a classical computer, as you probably know, the basic unit of information is a bit. A bit can only be one of two.
Speaker 2: Things, zero or one off or on. Amazingly, everything that computers do is just built on lots and lots and lots of zeros in ones. And you can do a lot with zeros and ones. But you cannot do everything. For one thing, you can't crack standard methods of online encryption. For another, you can't build a complete model of even a simple molecule, say the kind of molecule you would use as a drug. This is where quantum computers come in quantum computers are not built out of bits, out of zeros and ones. They're built out of what are called cubitsum bits. To build a quantum bit, you use a quantum particle.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 1: Bloom's company is called Atom Computing because they build each cubit with a single atom, and when the quantum computer is working, each atom, each cubit is not limited to being in a single state, to being just a one or zero in a weird quantumy way, a single cubit can be in many different states at once. And on top of that, when you combine cubits, what happens to each one instantly affects the others. What this means in practice is that a quantum computer with enough cubits could solve some problems that the most powerful classical computers literally could not solve in a million years. But quantum computers today are too small to do that, or at least they can't do it for any practical worldly problems. They just don't have enough cubits, and as Ben and I discuss in our conversation, building a function in quantum computer with lots of cubas is in fact a very hard engineering problem. So to start, I asked Ben to tell me how the field of quantum computing will look in a few years, when, if things go well, those engineering problems will have been solved.
Speaker 3: So I think in five years what you'll see is quantum computers attacking problems for national labs, for defense, for all these kind of esoteric industries who could call them that want calculations done that cannot be done on classical computers. It's probably going to be something like materials simulations. So how electrons behave in materials?
Speaker 4: And why are national labs interested in that? Ooh?
Speaker 3: I think that's a funny question. I think the Department of Energy is really interested in understanding materials at their extremes.
Speaker 4: OK.
Speaker 3: And I think that's true to both make it more efficient for the USA government to deal with all of the equipment they have, and also really true I mean, obviously for the Department of Energy main mission, which is understanding nuclear weapons and doing that without having to test nuclear weapons.
Speaker 1: So five years from now, quantum computers are where classical computers were in the nineteen forties, right, A few giant, crazy expensive ones being used by the government or a couple governments. Two things people talk a lot about with quantum computing are drug discovery, discovery of new drugs, and energy. For some reason, people talk about energy, they talk about batteries, that kind of thing. So if things go relatively well in quantum computing, like, are we going to be seeing meaningful impacts on those fields and what in ten years and if so, how will they be different?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do think we will. I mean, I think ten fifteen years we will see new drugs on the market that we're designed on a quantic computer. I think we will see batteries they can do more recharge cycles because we understand the materials and understand the various properties that you know, cause them to lose charge over recharge cycles, and.
Speaker 1: More recharge cycles means cheaper in the long run importantly, right, Like batteries are constrained by cost now, and if one battery can last longer, that effectively means you it's cheaper per cycle.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think another example of this is, you know, the one that people throw out a lot is kind of understanding, you know, how you actually do fertilizer production. Like, it turns out a few percent of the world's energy is spent on fertilizer production. And so if you can find a new catalyst that could do that same process with slightly lower temperature or slightly less pressure, you know, marginal savings in that process turn into gigantic global savings in an energy budget sense. And so all of these problems kind of have this general idea behind them, which is that chemicals and materials and understanding the physical processes which we kind of have built our old on top of understanding them to a point where you could engineer around them or engineer them to work better, could have these you know, giant lever arm effects.
Speaker 1: So it's basically, I mean a more and better drugs and then be just efficiency gains. So that's fewer emissions, more power, lower costs. Like those are the dreams broadly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so where are we today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're building toy systems. I mean, there's no question I think that over the past I would say two years, a lot of technologies, including the one I work on, neutral atoms, have kind of crossed a threshold where you can build better and better cubits by taking that quantum information, spreading it around and doing error correction. And one of the examples that you know is probably what some sense started this entire race is it turns out you can factor numbers on a quantum computer efficiently.
Speaker 1: Which sounds trivial to the initiated, but it turns out, among other things, if I have this right to allow you to crack most of the encryption on the Internet, true or not true, It's true.
Speaker 3: The kind of encryption we have now was was a choice, and in some sense right now it's even a choice in your browser or in your operating system. And the likes of you know, Apple or you know, the Linux maintainers or Microsoft, they can literally just you know, quote unquote flip a switch and it can switch to what they call is post quantum cryptography.
Speaker 1: So people have come up with new systems that are quantum resistant that can work to secure our data in the post quantum world.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yeah, and so I think that the future is bright in that sense. Now. The funny thing that you know, governments around the world are a little probably freaked out about is the past, which is that we've been using for you know, decades upon decades, we've been transmitting information between you know, people and businesses and government enter prizes and stuff like that. That if someone stored it and waited until they had a quantum computer. They can just go and read in the future when quantic computers are available. And so I think that is the kind of issue that I think most people think of when they think, oh, they're going to break encryption. How bad is that going to be. It's not going to be, you know, five years from now that people are worried about how do you pay for something online? It's more going to be these kind of you know, big government issues of Okay, you know, twenty years ago we sent a cable to so and so and it said this.
Speaker 1: I mean, we can let's talk about geopolitics here. Now, when people say let's talk about geopolitics in the US, they basically mean let's talk about China, and specifically, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, what happens if China gets there first?
Speaker 1: Right? Like, I do feel like, I know that's a crude way to ask the question, but I also know China is putting a lot of money into quantum computing, right Like? Is there something of a race here? Is that a way to think about it?
Speaker 3: I think it is a race. I mean, I think that they're doing it differently than the US. I mean, at the US. You know, my company out in Computing is one of many companies in the United States who are pursuing quantic computing, are trying to build a quantic computer. I think it's all private. You know, there is some public funding which we're accessing. There's Darper programs and things like that, but it's mostly private funding. Whereas you talk about what's going on in China, and I think there are big governmental initiatives, and I also think there are in some sense state backed companies that exist.
Speaker 1: This is very much in keeping with both of our countries, right, exactly what you would expect.
Speaker 4: Perhaps it's a test of our various systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So, I mean I think that the question of you know, is it bad if China, you know, builds a quantum computer and we don't have one, I mean, potentially, I mean, I think that a lot of the advances we were talking about earlier. Yeah, there are performance gains, efficiency gains and things like that, but those are the kinds of things that really I would say, drive an economy in the sense where the numbers associated with them are so so large that it's hard for me to wrap my head around. Like if you can decrease the energy budget of your country by five percent. Uh, that's a huge number, and I think it can actually make big changes possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean in a way, it makes you much richer.
Speaker 1: Right, it allows you to do things you could otherwise not afford to do, or you wouldn't otherwise have the resources to do. Y. I mean, presumably it gives you some kind of cryptographic power.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it goes back to this idea that there's you know, there's this store now, decrypt later philosophy, which I've heard, you know, espoused by various government officials as you know, others are doing this and so on and so forth, which is that they're you know, storing all the communications and things like that. I think that is a problem. There's no question if if you know, we're successful and we build quantic computers, you will be able to decrypt later. I guess the question is how useful is old information? That would be the problem, And the question is how how bad is that going to be? Maybe it's not so so bad on individual scale, but on a kind of company scale or a country scale, maybe it could be quite quite problematic.
Speaker 1: So let's talk a little more about the difference between quantum computers and regular computers, classical computers. And maybe one way to do that is to talk about classical computers, the kind of computers we have now, the kind of computers that underpin AI are bad at, like what is their meaningful limitation in this context.
Speaker 3: So, say you have an electron and you want to understand the properties of that electron. And because you're designing a drug, you're you're looking at a material, You're doing something like that.
Speaker 1: A particular electron on a particular molecule.
Speaker 3: Yah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And all you want your classical computer to do is write down the state of that electron, very very precisely, where is it and what is it doing, and it's spin and things like that. Yeah yeah, Now wow. You try to write that down, and it turns out you use a lot of binary data. You use a lot of classical data to do that. Now, if you want two electrons, you have to use more classical data describe it. But it turns out, and this is where quantum mechanics starts mattering. It turns out you don't just care about the individual electrons in their states. You actually care about all the correlations, all the ways the two electrons are interacting with each other and are linked together, and that turns out to require more classical data to write down and very very quickly with tens to less than one hundred electrons. If you tried to write down all the classical data you needed to describe that situation you would need, I think it was more bits of information than there are, like atoms in our universe.
Speaker 1: It would be impossible. It would just be impossible for a classical computer yourself. And so it is the case that like once you get to the really fundamental level of what's going on with energy or what's going on with matter, with materials, it behaves in a quantum way, and classical computers can't understand what's going on once you get to that level, and quantum computers, at least the theoretical quantum computer, if you could solve the engineering problems, could do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. I mean, I think that the cool thing about quantum computing we kind of do have Norse stars. We know that if you can build a quantic computer, you can factor large numforts. We know that if you can build a quantic computer that you know, can deal with billions of operations that you can find the you know, structure of some molecule or something like that. And so we know that the goal is go from the short little calculations you can do now to longer and longer and longer calculations to the point where you can reach these goals.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so maybe there's one.
Speaker 1: There's one sort of problem broadly stated that seems particularly interesting and worth discussing.
Speaker 4: Let me see if I have this right? Is it right that.
Speaker 1: Each bit, each cubit of a quantum computer needs to be entirely isolated. It needs to be sort of not in touch with anything in the world. No, not a photon, not another molecule, not anything, right, because it is sort of sitting in this what a quantum superposition I'm reaching here, and if anything, if anybody sees it, if any light photon hits it, if anything happens to it, it kind of breaks, it decoheres and it doesn't work right? And is it fair that it's extremely hard for maybe obvious reasons, everything is touching everything else all the time. Is that like a central problem? Is that a problem worth talking about?
Speaker 3: It is because I think it's actually that the fundamental challenge of building a quantum computer is having that isolation, but then making sure that you have complete control over that quantum system.
Speaker 4: Right, And like, how could you have both at once?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: If it's completely isolated, how can you control it? So, I mean, let's talk a little bit about your approach. You are working with Microsoft to build a thing for the Novo NORDESK foundation and what is part of the Danish government?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, so what are you building for the Danes? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So it's a twelve hundred cubit system, okay, And that is a kind of our part of this, which is that we're building the hardware. So it's a system that has all of the classical control around it, all the quantum control around it, so that they can trap, cool, manipulate twelve hundred physical cubits.
Speaker 4: Okay, and each one of those is one atom.
Speaker 3: Yes, each one of those is one atom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very small number of atoms.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And actually the quantum part of our system is very very small, Like it's like half a millimeter by half a millimeter. It's very very.
Speaker 4: There's like a box or something. What is it? What is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, No, it is pretty much.
Speaker 1: A box half a millimeter by half a millimeter, which is I don't know what, like a size of like a hair or something like.
Speaker 4: It's so small.
Speaker 3: It's a little bigger than it.
Speaker 4: Okay, but yeah, what is it like? But it's bigger than like a little fingernail trimming.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, fingernail trimming.
Speaker 1: That's a good bigernail trimming. And that's where all of the action is. That's the that's it. That's all of your Yeah, I guess twelve hundred atoms. Yeah, And what's going on in that tiny box? What do you start with? It's a metal, right, what's the element?
Speaker 3: Uh? Uturbium?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you start with this element, just a thing that exists in the world called U turbium. You don't need very much of it.
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: First off, we have to take we have a chunk of it, so we have to heat it up. So you go from a solid gas. That gas kind of streams down our system. We have lots of lasers kind of hit that gas so that it goes from hundreds of kelvin down to about a microkelvin, so ten to the minus six kelvin, so very very cold.
Speaker 1: And zero zero degrees kelvin is absolute zero. It's as cold as anything in the universe can ever be. So you're making it very, very very cold. And is that because you don't want it moving around, because you want it isolated?
Speaker 3: That's the exactly okay, yeah, pretty much like the temperature is pretty much the velocity it goes at and things like that. So we get the atoms, we get them down to a microkelvin, and then we kind of shuttle them using a laser. We kind of push them up into that tiny little area that's half a millimeter by half a.
Speaker 4: Million little box that's computer sort of.
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden we get to this little area. And what we do through that microscope objective is we put a big beam into the back of that microscope objective. And the reason why we put a big beam when I say, it's like twenty millimeters yeah, okay, So you're shooting light through the microscope lens, let's say lens lens, okay, and when you do that, you put a big light beam into the back of that lensky What it does is it focuses down really really tight, and it creates an optical tweezer. Okay, And this won the Nobel Prize, and I think it was like twenty nineteen or something like that. The cool thing here is that this optical tweezer at the very focus of that lens gets really really tight and diverges really really quickly and for some light, and we very very carefully choose what kind of laser we're doing this with. Atoms are tracted to the point of highest intensity, okay, and so the atom kind of gets sucked in to the optical tweezer and then it wants to sit at the exact center of that pholk.
Speaker 1: So it's called an optical tweezer because it is grabbing a single atom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, So what we do is we do a bunch of tricks so that we we don't just create one optical tweezer, but generally speaking, we build display technology that creates the image of many, many optical tweezers and just stuffs that into the back of the lens.
Speaker 1: So you basically have like what twelve hundred optical tweezers in each way, he grabs one atom and exactly sticks it in the box.
Speaker 3: Exactly. No, no, that is exactly what we do.
Speaker 1: So now there's this box that's ready to help someone figure out something about the world. What is something about the world that it might actually help them understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, say there's a user in Denmark and Copenhagen who wants to understand the ground state of some molecule. They write down an algorithm that says, I am going to simulate many, many electrons, and I am going to use it such that it kind of gets down to the lowest energy state, Okay, and then I will read out the cubits in their various positions and things like that. Aha, so that we can actually understand what was the state of the electrons in this simulated system.
Speaker 1: So are they're sort of saying to the quantum computer that you have built, act like you are this molecule. Act like you are the electrons in this molecule exactly in their lowest energy state, and tell me what state you're in, Yes, exactly. We'll be back in just a minute. Hey, it's Jacob, and I want to tell you that I am hosting a new show called Business History. It's about the incredible innovations and massive failures and unbelievable characters in the history of business. And I hope I think the show provides insights about how business works today. At the end of today's episode of What's Your Problem, We're going to play you a clip from Business History.
Speaker 4: It's the story.
Speaker 1: Behind the video game company Atari, and they're surprising early hire of a young hippie named Steve Jobs. The show's called Business History. You can listen to it wherever you're listening right now, and will play that clip at the end.
Speaker 4: Of today's episode.
Speaker 1: One of the big problems in quantum computing is detecting and correcting errors. This is a hard problem for a few reasons. One of those reasons gets at the heart of quantum weirdness, and it's this. When a quantum computer is working, the cubits are essentially in many states at once. But if at a given moment you will look at a cubit try and figure out what state it's in, it will instantly snap into a single state. All that beautiful quantum weirdness of multiple states at once will suddenly disappear, and your quantum computer will not work. There's been a lot of progress on this in the past few years, but for the most part, quantum error correction still only works at a scale too small to be useful for practical, real world problems. I asked Ben, why.
Speaker 3: All the classical stuff we're building, all the laser projectors, all the spot makers, all these things. As you scale those numbers up, if you know you're a stray light or whatever it is you're doing for your quantum computer, if that increases, then all of a sudden, your quantumeric corection doesn't quite work as well as you want it to.
Speaker 4: It seems very hard, yes, very hard.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, I talk to a lot of Italy do things that sae hard, but this seems like wild hard.
Speaker 3: I would say that the last twenty four months there have been so many amazing advances. I would say everyone in the industry is more excited than they've ever been because I think you go back two years ago and no one had demonstrated quantumeric correction at any scale. Now there's US, there's Google, there's lots of other companies that have now demonstrated quantumeric corection. Yeah, a small number of cubits, but I think that is a key milestone, which is to say, look that theory is right, Like your errors go down as you spread this quantum information across your quantum processor. And I think that's a huge, huge boon because it says, no, all you have to do is just get to larger and larger and larger numbers.
Speaker 1: So there's this phrase, I think I heard you use it or maybe I read it, which is commercial advantage. Right. You've talked about sort of governments being initial users. What's the universe where a quantum computer becomes practical for a private company?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that like a pharmaceutical company like Novo Nordisk or Eli Lilly or something like that. I think they're going to have simulation frameworks that you know, engineers are going to sit down at their desks and use those simulation frameworks, and it's going to be constantly sending jobs to a quantum computer.
Speaker 4: Tell me about this molecule in its lowest.
Speaker 3: Energy state exactly, yeah, or dynamics or something like.
Speaker 1: That, like what are the dynamics if this drug binds with this part of a cell?
Speaker 3: Exactly? No, exactly. So I think that most companies will view quantic computers in that lens where it's just another cloud computing resource that they're spending money on. And I could even imagine a future where you know, this is so ingrained in kind of simulation frameworks. It's not even clear you know, you're spending it on a quantum computing you know, hours on a quantic computer. You're actually just you know, buying time on your simulation framework that you get from another company or so on.
Speaker 1: Yes, we haven't talked about AI. We've gone a while, we haven't talked about AI. And there's like a couple of sides of AI, right, There's like AI helping to make quantum computers. There's also AI being able to do things, you know, on classical chips that we didn't think maybe classical computers could do. Like I'm thinking of of the protein folding problem, right, this famous hard molecular level problem that AI solved that nobody could solve for a long time, seems like the kind of thing that you might have looked years ago been like, oh, here's the thing quantum computers can do. They can predict the shape of a protein.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's true, I will say, when we go and talk to you know, the experts in the field. I think one of the things we hear an awful lot about is is the idea that the AI is only ever good at the data you give it and a new use case for quantum computers that you know, no one talked about more than like three years ago, was using quantum computers to just pump out data for a train, and.
Speaker 1: I it would be if that was the case, it's like, oh, we're just making the AI better. We kind of a bummer at sub level, not to be silly, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But I do think it's this idea that you know, fundamentally, like if all of your AI data is coming from classical models or classical you know, algorithms spitting out data to go and train alpha fold or whatever it's called on, you only get it so good. And if you can go a step further and start getting the AI to understand the kind of quantum pieces of the puzzle, that all of a sudden your AI is going to start including those in its predictions. But I do agree that the flip side of this is building a ton of quantum systems whose sole job it is just pumped out data for FREYI is a little surprising.
Speaker 4: A little bit of a sad trombone.
Speaker 1: And I mean, is there any way in which AI is helping you or helping the field?
Speaker 4: Figure things out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I do think it is like I think that actually in control, I think they're a huge, huge ability for AI. Like I think that when we talk about scaling up systems and how do you tune things and how do you kind of get control to across you know, many many, many cubits, AI is much much better at finding correlations and data and things like that and actually having an understanding of how you turn the troll knobs you have into the outputs you want. AI is actually fantastic at that. I also think the other thing is true, which is just that I mean we operate faster because people write software faster now, oh right, Like even in the last like six months, I would say there is more and more and more software at Atom Computing that is being written with AI, and it would be done you know, I don't even know ten times faster with AI than it.
Speaker 1: Was possible speaking of simple productivity gains with profound cons Yeah. So well, we started out talking about a you know, relatively optimistic scenario five years, ten years, like why might quantum computing not get there or take much longer than you think?
Speaker 3: I think it's all a challenge of you know, how much. How many resources are you willing to devote to get quantum computers to work? And what are the use cases? Like I think that a lot of the kind of chemistry use cases and stuff we're excited about. But like you said, there's always going to be new techniques and things like that. And if we can find new techniques that you know, get us far enough, then the thing that we only have to fall back on is decryption. And the question is, you know who there's only one customer that wants to decrypt at least in the United.
Speaker 4: States, at least two. I was gonna say every.
Speaker 3: Government in the world, right, Yeah, But I think it's it's a question of like resources and resource allocation, which is that if that's something the government's you know, very very excited about still, then of course, you know, I think we can keep scaling and we can make bigger and bigger quantic computers.
Speaker 4: And this is the use case you say, it's just money.
Speaker 3: I mean I think that we have and I think this is true of a lot of different kinds of quantic computing modalities. Now the science has now been demonstrated error correction works. We need, like you said, a thousand times more cubits, and we want to go and do that by building network machines and scaling up the number of cubits inside each one of our systems and so on. And I'm sure our competitors have similar stories as well.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so the question just becomes, you know, is there the capital, is there the the excitement around building it?
Speaker 1: So you you mentioned your competitors. You are a private company, right. Your competitors include some public quantum computing companies, but they also include like Google and IBM, Right, like these giant companies with huge revenue streams and kind of all the.
Speaker 4: Money they want, literally but a lot of money. How do you compete? How do you how do how does that? How does that work for you? Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean I think that, uh, I mean like any industry. I mean I think there's you know, venture investors and stuff who are excited about, you know, first of all, building funding technology that's different than the technology that's found at those giant hyperscaler you know, big companies, and second, uh who want to invest in that technology because if that technology wins, they actually get significantly more back from their investment than if they invest in Google. Like if Google has a quantum computer. I actually don't think the Google quantum stock is going to double overnight. Whereas if all of a sudden we have a universal fault talent quantum computer at Adam, yeah, our value could go up by a ten or one hundred x or something like that. So I think there's just like an asymmetry there and returns things like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So one of the interesting things about the field is there are a bunch of different companies using very different approaches, like physically different approaches. And I recognize that maybe more than one will work, or some will be good for some things and something good for others. But there might be something of a binary outcome, right, Like somebody might win. Somebody might get there first. What do you think of the chances it'll be somebody other than you.
Speaker 3: I certainly think there's a chance. I think that who wins in the end is going to just come down to dollars per unit compute. Like I think there's someone will get there first. I hope it's Adam, but you know someone's going to get there first. I think there will be a few years of multiple people then getting there, multiple modalities getting there, And I think at the end of the day, what wins is just dollar per unit compute, And all of a sudden, if there's a ten x difference in price between running on this system versus running on another system, people are just going to gravitate towards a cheaper one. And I think that will be the one that actually turns out to be the one that you know, an entire industry is built around.
Speaker 1: Where do you think we should end the main part of this conversation, Like if you sort of sit back and think big thoughts and gaze off into the distance, like what like where do you land thinking about this today?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the quantum computers are more of an inevitability than they've ever been. Like, I think that we've made such amazing progress as an industry that everyone is on board with the idea that no, no, this is this is just going to happen. Like if someone's going to have a universal fault talent quantum computer, people are going to be able to use it over the cloud. They're going to be able to do all the problems they want to do, and so on and so forth. And I feel like even I don't know, three four or five years ago, I don't think people would have said that across the board.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. Okay, let's finish with the lightning round. It's gonna be a little more random, but fun. I hope.
Speaker 4: Albert Einstein overrated or underrated?
Speaker 3: Underrated?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very highly rated. Richard Feynman overrated rounded, Uh.
Speaker 3: I think underrated. I think that actually seeing him give lectures. I didn't get to see him in person, but I mean, I think seeing recordings of him given lectures, I mean I think he was probably the most amazing physics teacher there was.
Speaker 4: Is it right? Did Feineman come up with the idea of the quantum computer?
Speaker 3: I read it also, Yeah, and he has this amazing sentence about how you know it would be so simple to do this with a bunch of atoms that you kind of rearrange and you kind of move around and stuff like that. Someone showed that to me many many years after I had started a company to do this with Adam.
Speaker 4: So was he right that it would be so simple?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wait? What no? Is it right that.
Speaker 1: You made or helped to make an atomic clock that's precise to the second over five billion years?
Speaker 4: The most something precise clock ever, Yeah, so okay, A few questions following on that. Precisely? How early do you get to the airport to catch a plane? Oh?
Speaker 3: Actually, this is a great thing that someone taught me. If you don't miss a flight every like, you know, fifty times, you're always getting to the airport tour.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is a theory, that's an optimization. So what for you is the optimal fraction of flights to miss?
Speaker 3: I think like one percent or something like that.
Speaker 4: When was the last time you missed a plane?
Speaker 3: Probably like thirty forty fifty flights ago or something.
Speaker 4: So you're doing okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah ye.
Speaker 1: Ben Bloom is the co founder and CEO of Adam Computing. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang. It was edited by Lyddy jeene Kott and engineered by Sarah Bruguer. You can email us at problem at Pushkin dot FM. I'm Jacob Goldstein and we'll be back next week with another episode of What's Your Problem. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and right now we're going to play you a clip of a new show that I co host. The show's called Business History. My co host is Robert Smith and This clip is from an episode we did about how Nolan Bushnell, a stoner turned entrepreneur, created the video game company Atari and hired a young, inexperienced Steve Jobs. I really hope you like the clip, and if you want to hear more, you can find business history wherever you're listening to this show right now. This like nineteen year old hippie kid walks in and he says he won't leave until they give him a job, And the receptionist calls the head engineer and she goes, yeah, we got a hippie kid in the lobby.
Speaker 4: Says he won't leave until we hire him. Should we call the cops or let him in? And the engineer says, bring him on in.
Speaker 5: It's nineteen seventies, a Silicon valley, and this guy wanders in and he is when if you tell a story like this, you know who it is.
Speaker 4: It's Steve Jobs. It's Steve Job. So fun, it's so delightful and perfectly.
Speaker 1: Steve Jobs is very good at his job, yes, and very unpleasant to wrqu On.
Speaker 4: Surprising.
Speaker 1: He tells Bushnell that like everybody's soldering wrong, right, they're actually putting together the hardware sladering the hardware. He's probably right, and bush Nell's like, yeah, he was right. He keeps calling his manager a dumb shit.
Speaker 4: Probably was not.
Speaker 1: Kind, not necessary. Bushell winds up putting Jobs on the night shift, partly so he won't bother so many people, and partly because he knew that Jobs like to hang out at night with his buddy Steve Wozniak, who was a great engineer, would.
Speaker 4: Be great to have hanging around Atari.
Speaker 1: And in fact, Jobs and Wozniak helped to make Breakout a great a target.
Speaker 4: Remember breaking of.
Speaker 5: Course, you're trying to knock down the bricks in a wall.
Speaker 4: Still, games like that, when you got a little paddle at the bottom.
Speaker 5: End, there's a moment when it goes through the wall and then.
Speaker 4: Goes so good.
Speaker 1: So Jobs worked at Atari for a little while and then decided that he wanted to go off to India to find his guru. Perfect asked Atari to pay for the trip. Nobody ever said he lacked moxie, and wound up making a deal with Atari where they pay him to go part of the way there. They had exported some games to Germany and there was some kind of problem with the games in Germany and they're like, we'll send you to Germany to fix the games and then you can get the rest of the way to India. And you know, the Germans said Jobs was terrible to work with, but he fixed the games. I was thinking about like the link between Atarian Jobs and what did he learn there, And it felt like maybe a little overdetermined, but I do think you know, clearly he had this profound sense of aesthetics and of delight, right, Like think of the Macintosh, right, this breakthrough Apple machine in the eighties. It was round and instead of squares, it was rounded, and it cost them more money, but it was beautiful and it was fun and you were engaged with it like a game.
Speaker 5: It almost looked a little bit like an arcade game with the curves than that. I think that especially at Silicon Valley at the time when they were dealing in actual silicon Right, if you're making chips for somebody, you're thinking about the future and the computers. You're not thinking about the psychology of the customer, because the customer was another electronics company, right, and so Atari and the strength of it was really the first time where they're just like, how will a regular human being who has no training whatsoever interact with technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Atari now mid seventies. They're selling all the machines they can make. They need more space, and so they rent an abandoned roller rink and they turn it into this office slash video game factory.
Speaker 5: I've been ten years older. I would have loved to have worked in a roller rink video game factory.
Speaker 4: Yes, everybody smoked weed. Yeah, there was a hot tub.
Speaker 1: There was a pool party where everybody ended up naked in the pool at Bushnell himself looked back on it later and said, if that isn't a horror show for any hr person today, I don't know what is