Speaker 1: Today, we're kicking off zenem Off week. Yay.
Speaker 2: We're latching onto your faces and showing up in your ear canals with four alien focused backback episodes this.
Speaker 1: Week leading up to the release of Alien Romulus.
Speaker 3: On today's episode, we're exploring some of the wildest alien comic book crossovers, from Judge Dread to Clark Kent to Bampfires. The Xenimos have lovingly found their way into the chest cavities of characters in every corner of pop culture, and we are here to guide you through.
Speaker 1: So the story of Alien in.
Speaker 2: Comics is a wild one that begins the same year as the movie and features some of the biggest names in comic book creation and some of the most famous superheroes on the planet.
Speaker 1: And to join me on this epic journey.
Speaker 2: Through comic book and movie history is the producer Princesses Carmen Lorentz and Joezy What's so hello?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just such a fantastic bit of alien history that I feel like not a lot of people know. So it all began in actually June nineteen seventy nine, so literally like a couple of months after the movie came out with Alien the Illustrated Story, which was a direct adaptation of Dan O'Bannon's Alien screenplay by two heavyweights, Archie Goodwin and Walt Simonson. The early graphic novel was actually published by Heavy Metal, which is another thing I feel like nobody knows.
Speaker 1: Best known for their magazine of the same.
Speaker 2: Name that specialized in boundary defying sci fi with strong visual sensibilities, this Alien comic was actually formatted like a lot of other graphic novels of the time, taking influence from the European graphic album back Desstina style, so it was much bigger. It utilized wider magazine sized pages as opposed to most graphic novels that are now made at like a standard comic book size. It's also really cool because they did a reprint of it like a few years ago.
Speaker 1: That's huge. That's massive hardcover books.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean what Simon's in an Archie Goodwin You're talking about, like at the time, two of the biggest creators, So I feel like from the origins of this they knew that they had something that would translate to the medium really well, have you ever read an alien comic book?
Speaker 1: Common?
Speaker 4: You know, I have not, but I have seen them when I'm walking around the comic book shop, and I do wonder, I have wondered to myself, would I enjoy this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think there's just so many that you probably would find one that you have.
Speaker 4: I gravitate towards anything like Vamparella. Love me some Vamparella. I gravitate towards Catwoman comic. But I should check out the alien comics.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you're going to be very happy because spoiler alert, guys, we're going to get into some wild crossovers and.
Speaker 1: There is a Vamparella Aliens crossover. Carmen so very good excited. So At the time of the.
Speaker 2: First Alien comic coming out in seventy nine, Archie Goodwin was the writer and editor of Marvel's Star Wars comics, a series that not only helped popularize the infamous space opera franchise for the Masses, but also saved Marvel's struggling publishing efforts at the time. Simonson, who is like a legend and a we're big fans of him at the podcast, had worked a year earlier with Goodwin on Star Wars sixteen, an issue notable for the first appearance of fan fave character Bella Valance, who we will talk more about later. He would later go on to become the writer artist of the Star Wars series, but first he delivered the moody and evocative visuals on this version of Alien that placed a somewhat different emphasis on certain parts of the story than the signature slow burn of Ridley Scott's film. But it wouldn't be until almost ten years later that Alien Comics returned, this time under the purview of a fledgling indie publisher, Dark Horse Comics, who everyone probably knows best for hell Boy and the small company would take great care of the Alien franchise, opting to produce stories that slotted in before and after the films instead of merely adapting the movies, and that is essentially who would keep publishing Alien comics for the next few decades until we got to the modern age. So they published classic single issue comics, meaning that we were getting Alien on the shelves monthly, and the series were paced to compliment that kind of release system, ranging from two to six issues in most iterations. Kicked off with a black and white sequel to Aliens, which I feel like is a really great place to se start Carmen or other listeners because you get the direct sequel and then they did a sequel in color. There is a murderer's row of famous talent involved. Over thirty years you're talking about, dark Horse was bringing in everyone like Sam Keith, who did the Max Kelly Jones, who did the very famous Elseworld story where Batman becomes a vampire while fighting Dracula.
Speaker 1: You add Richard Corbyn, a legend.
Speaker 5: That great, fucking serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good, Doug Monkey, Mike Mignola, the creator of hell Boy, and so many more luminary talents.
Speaker 1: The list just goes on and on.
Speaker 5: Wait, Rosie, can I ask you?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah please?
Speaker 6: Okay, So Arian just popped a great question in the chat. Were the dark Horse comics considered cannon?
Speaker 2: I would say that they were licensed, so they were always approved. So I would say that probably if you go on the fan wikis and stuff, they would be considered to be a cannon.
Speaker 1: Now do I know, I don't know one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: A can There are multiple cannons for Aliens.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying that the comic books were canon to the point where, like they would say, you know, kind of like how we think of I would guess I would think about it this way. If you think about Marvel comics, right, and the Marvel movies, there's like the MCU canon and the comic book canon, right, And these Alien comics did go on for long enough that I believe that they count as having their own canon.
Speaker 1: But I would also say that because for a long time, until Ridley Scott came back with Prometheus, for a long time there hadn't been a lot of Alien stuff, So this probably was seen as direct canon.
Speaker 2: I would say for a lot of fans, which often is where are ideas of canon come from?
Speaker 4: Do the comics that all affect what's happening in the movie canon at all?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Did those now?
Speaker 2: I would say no, because the truth is there isn't really even the movie canon I was going to say, is very much. They never had like a you know, as Legendary does now who make the Godilla movies they have a mythology team, or the MCU they have the Parliament. But with Alien, I think it was more that it was a fantastic movie that was then owned by a studio who were like, well, let's make Alien three and bring in David Fincher and not even let him make his craziest version.
Speaker 1: So I think the idea.
Speaker 2: Of canon in the nineties, eighties and nineties was like much looser than now, where I feel like we are deeply invested in canon. But I'd say for a lot of people, especially kids who maybe hadn't even seen the Alien movies, I would say that this was probably the canon that they knew, and there are overarching stories. And also something really interesting is a lot of the comics would then be adapted into novels. That was the impact they had, and there is a thriving alien fiction canon of books that were published in this world.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting because it usually goes the other way, where you get a book that's adapted into a comic.
Speaker 2: And it was really interesting because it's really a testament to kind of the care and detail that was put into the law building of the Dark Horse line, which was, like you know, it.
Speaker 1: Was known for big alien stories.
Speaker 2: But also I would say the biggest thing, which we're going to get a little bit deeper into, is the crossovers. Okay, because they about fifteen years after the movie came out.
Speaker 1: They made a Predator crossover which oh not yea though.
Speaker 2: Exactly not AVP, which we all love, but this is pre dating AVP wow, And it was in dark Horse Presents, which was their signature kind of anthology. It came out dark Horse Presents thirty six and super fans will notice that nineteen eighty nine means this is the first time the Predator and the Alien crossed over, further kind of cementing that groundbreaking tradition of the dark Horse era, and that would go unlikely to become I would say the most famous thing about these comics because by the mid nineties dark Horse had worked out a deal of.
Speaker 1: Some kind with DC.
Speaker 2: So by the nineties you had DC crossovers with Aliens that began with of course the pinnacle of DC, it was Superman versus Aliens. I also had it interesting that they went for the aliens. It was always aliens rather than Alien. I would have gone for Alien, but I get it. They're saying there's more than one's enomor, like, don't worry. So Superman Versus Aliens is like a three issue comics series, little mini series where Superman kind of learns about some signals coming from space and along with the help of Lex Corp, shocking, he realizes their Kryptonian distress calls and they essentially go and they want to help the Kryptonians and they send a space station and guess what dun done.
Speaker 1: There are aliens and face huggers and.
Speaker 2: Also some weird stuff where like both Kara and Superman are infested with like special chest bursters, so no aliens will attack them, and then Superman like teleports the chest bursters out of their bodies. Of course, of course, guys. So that was the first one. And as you can tell, something that I think was very cool about these when you can really start to see they are not cannon to the movies. This is an era before the movies were really defining everything, so you could just do the most bonkers stuff like they were. Like, this is just a crossover.
Speaker 1: It costs a lot to say. All these spaceships out.
Speaker 2: To keep getting infected by xenomorphs, so please listen to some man. There were so many different crossovers with aliens and all of them are absolutely bonkers.
Speaker 1: The next one was Batman Aliens.
Speaker 2: It's interesting though Superman Superman versus Aliens but then Batman slash aliens, so you get anything out of the name difference. Here Batman, he is leaving Gotham, he's looking for a missing Wayne Enterprises geologist, heads to the Guatemala Mexican border and runs into some xenomorphs who are just chilling and now, yeah at the border, what are they doing there?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you're telling me that Bruce Wayne Batman himself is going and doing the search and rescue for the Wayne Corporation.
Speaker 2: I'm sharcked, but I'm assuming that they're probably like dating. Okay, that would be I'm like Batman's probably like he's like, this is my girlfriend, because otherwise why he he's invested. Yeah, there is like, of course this is very like ninety ship. So there's like he's like working.
Speaker 1: With a group of special forces.
Speaker 2: And he's like getting face huger samples where I'm like, I do not think Batman should do that. Also, this one is very iconic because you get like a weird xenomorph crocodile hybrid.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: And this is like this has got Yeah, this has got like a very iconic moment to where he like loses that he uses this is a this is a good Oh that is bad ass. Yeah, it's really cool right and alien. Yeah, it's very very wild to me because they are like he like uses the blood to drop it through the acid bud, their acid blood, and he uses it to weaken the floor to like drop the crocodile into a volcano.
Speaker 1: So like good for resourceful he is. I feel like that's actually something.
Speaker 5: He's got a giant spear on his tail.
Speaker 1: That's just how it is.
Speaker 6: He looks so cool, guys, like, let's bring him back, but with an alien head.
Speaker 1: Let's bring him back guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I just need to say as well, this is another crazy thing about this. So when you're talking about Batman aliens, this is Ron Mars, who is no joke, like a complete legend, who wrote so much Silver Surfer, Green Lantern DC versus Marvel crossovers and then penciled by Bernie Wrightson, who is like a horror comics legend who created Swamp Thing.
Speaker 1: So these team ups like they.
Speaker 2: Were drawing these huge creators because I think people were excited I would want to write this, you know, like it makes sense. Then finally in like two thousand, they did Greenland and Versus Aliens and now Versus is spelled out, so we've got a third title format.
Speaker 1: This is like a no market confusion here. No, this is a issue series. Ron Mars is back.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Ron, but he's now illustrated by Rick Leonardi, who I actually have his art tattoed on my arm. He drew my Bover tattoo. And Mike Perkins, who is another once again like Captain America that he did swamp thing again, Like these are just huge creators and stars, several green lanterns, including Kyle Rainer, who is definitely the hot boy at the time.
Speaker 1: We love Kyle Reiner.
Speaker 2: It is outside of the DC cannon, but again very contested because people were like, well, you're not telling us, And the only reason we kind of know that is because there's green lanterns who are alive outside of this story that don't survive. But yeah, we got all kinds of green lanterns and a chest Burster announces itself from a dying green lantern called Baron char and how Jordan's like, boom, I'm here and I've got to find out what's going on in the DC comics.
Speaker 1: He'd been dead for a long time, so that was kind of a big deal.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is the Green Lanton Ones, which I would say is not surprising, is much more in depth and has to do less set up of how the xenomorphs are there because it's a space story, so it actually gets very into Green Lantern Law. I would also say that one has like an extremely cool cover, so definitely worth checking it out. Okay, next we go to the indie crossovers, which kind of really blow my mind.
Speaker 1: This stuff was happening. So in the nineties, Jim Lee and.
Speaker 2: Some other creators who are Mike's and Marx Silvestri, Atom McFarlane, Rob Eifeld, wils Potaccio, they came together Jim Valentina to create Image comics and one of the segments of that was Jim Lee's Wildcats, which would become Wildstorm Comics, and he created them with Brandon Troy and they did a Wildcat's Alien What suh because it's always aliens, So Wildcats aliens slash.
Speaker 1: This is a very classical Yes slash, This is a slash guys. When we're talking about title format.
Speaker 2: This is actually a very wild one because you have like now you.
Speaker 4: Know there's Witch Blade, a part of the Wildcat.
Speaker 7: Which Blade is not generally like the part of the Wildcats, but we do get some there is some crossover here between them.
Speaker 2: This is a definitely very this is very late nineties.
Speaker 1: This is your.
Speaker 2: Team who would be known for this, which includes Warren Ellis Boo, we don't talk about him anymore, but Chris Browse, Kevin Nolan, Bill Oakley, so many different massive names at the time, and that one is like much more classic.
Speaker 1: They go away into space and then ship comes back full as animovs.
Speaker 2: Who I mean, who would ever know that that was going to happen in an alien's book?
Speaker 1: You you think that Wildcats is the weirdest crossover.
Speaker 2: Incorrect, guys, because next you have Judge Dread versus the best crossover I know, Judge Dread versus Aliens Incubus, which is actually a sequel to Predator Judge.
Speaker 1: Dread Wow Witch.
Speaker 6: I will within a sequel crazy comic books.
Speaker 2: I will say that something is really cool, something really cool about it is The Predator comics have been one of the most ongoing crossover potential series in comics. There's even a Predator Archie Comics, which is I think just one of the best things you can read. It's it's such a joy. Yeah, it's really really fun and silly, and they really go out of the box with them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Judge Dread versus Aliens.
Speaker 2: And the reason it's called Incubus is, as super producer Aaron has pointed out, Incubus is the code name for the plan that a space pirate mister Bones has. He's bringing the xenomorphs to Megacity one to get revenge on the judges, and honestly, who can blame him because those judges they really suck. Obviously in this book we are given, we're like, oh the judges, they got to stop them. But I feel like in every other Judge Dreads or they'll probably be like, good for the aliens, good for mister Bones, like do your best. So we get Judge Dread and Judge Santas who are infected by chest burners, but of course they're able to, you know, get chest bursters removed. They're aliens definitely are like slightly less deadly.
Speaker 1: In these crossovers. I would say, because you can't kill.
Speaker 2: Some of the most famous people, you can't kill Judge Dread. In a comic the way, you can kill off every character apart from Ripley in the original Alien. But you know, that's why we love comics, because no one ever really dies.
Speaker 4: I'm seeing here on the Google that there was a follow up to this that was Predator Versus Judge Dread versus Aliens.
Speaker 2: Yes, you do get a lot of those we also, if I'm not mistaken, I deeply remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Would they love to do like a double crossover?
Speaker 4: Like that's amazing?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: As Aaron pointed out, the Wildcats was the first one that was then followed by a sequel overkill that was Witchblade, Aliens The Darkness and Predator.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: So the best thing about.
Speaker 2: Most of these comics too, is they've all been collected or you can find them in a backish you been in your comic shop. I have collected a lot of the big crossover comics like this because they overprinted them and we can easily find those issues in the back issue bins. Now, Carmen, this one is especially for you because it's Aliens slash Vampirella. Yes, yes, yes, yes, And this is like fantastic. You're talking about a delightful crossover. I mean it's perfect. It's this mix of like.
Speaker 1: Camp and fantastic, also notable because it amazing. Yeah, the covers are super super cool.
Speaker 2: This is a later one because it's like twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, but also written by a woman that's rare Karina Beco, pencil by Javier Garcia Miranda and lettered by Simon Boland. And the really cool thing about this is this is actually one of the few alien comics that shows other aliens than just the xenomorphs.
Speaker 4: Oh yeahycle yeah.
Speaker 2: And also just like he's having some outrageous like just some alien adventures are occurring, and obviously this is a I love these kind of setups because I feel like I really relate to them as a creator. This starts when Vamparella is just investigating a suspicious cave. Sometimes when you meet they're like they're like, how are you going to bring Vamparella in the aliens together? And you're like, you know what, she just investigating a suspicious cave, guys, that's just how she just she's.
Speaker 1: Like, what's going on in that cave? Or guess what xenomorph eggs it's giving?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, fifties B horror film and yeah, I want the movie.
Speaker 5: It sounds delightful.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm seeing that she faces off with a queen'senomorph an issue. Yes, vibe, it looks like that's yeah.
Speaker 2: And the really cool thing about that is like the face Hugget impregnates Vamparella and comes out as the xenomorph queen.
Speaker 1: So it's like to become the queen, it has to be inside Vamparella. Also, wow.
Speaker 2: Favorite thing that happens is she survives and then she's like Nosferatus awakened, Babe, Now we've gotta fight. I gotta fight with nos Faro against Aliens. They were like, not enough is going on in this comic, so we need to make we need to make that happen.
Speaker 1: And this is this is the really funny thing.
Speaker 2: So if you look at the comics that were being published by Dark Horse in their Crossover comics line, this is just preceded by Archie versus Predator, so vibes like, the vibe change here is so huge, then followed by another Predator versus Judge, Dread versus Aliens Splice and Dice Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you are getting like, and that's John Layman, who's like a solid Predator an Aliens comic book writer, it costs a lot to send all these spaceships out to Key getting infected by xenomorphs, so please listen.
Speaker 1: To some mats.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting to see the kind of journey that these comics have gone on so so far.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think your favorite crossover is?
Speaker 6: Oh Man Alien versus Archie is just so it feeds me. But then apparently Killer Croc gets cross with an alien at one point in the dark Horse Cannon of comic books, and I would like to see. I love Killer Croc, I love Alien Smash And to guest, I.
Speaker 2: Believe that is in Batman Aliens, and that is how we getastic. That's the one crocodile hybrid who doesn't want to see Batman Aliens.
Speaker 5: Would Carmen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Vamparella is obviously I'm gravitating towards Vamparella. But when you tell me that there's a crocodile Zeenamore and the Batman Aliens one, I'm really curious about that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I do just feel tonally that Batman Aliens. It just feels right. Yeah, you know, that feels like they.
Speaker 6: Both had the darkness and the ridiculousness required for that level of like over the top crossover.
Speaker 5: I have two thoughts.
Speaker 6: Okay, One, the Alien movies are often so much about motherhood.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorite things about of motherhood. The horrors of being a woman who.
Speaker 6: Is right surrounded by men one of my favorite aspects of the series. Do we get any of that in any of these comics? Are we exploring similar film themes or is?
Speaker 5: I would most of these sort of I.
Speaker 2: Would keep say say, in like a three to four issue crossover, you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Less of that directly.
Speaker 2: But I would also say that all of the a, especially the first Alien movie, it very much is about like the fear of pregnancy and like the horrific idea of like a.
Speaker 1: Man being impregnated, Like what would that be like? What would it be like to give birth?
Speaker 2: And because of the nature of the chest bursters and the face huggers, I feel that it's still there in spirit, even if not in it. Though I would definitely love to see a contemporary crossover all female creative team that kind of really explored that, because that is the interesting thing. So obviously, we've talked about Dark Horse and this extensive comic book line that they've had since nineteen eighty eight, so sadly rip to those comics.
Speaker 1: You can still get them in your local comic shop, but.
Speaker 2: The Alien comics are now under the purview of Disney because of the Folk Disney merger, meaning that both the Xenomorphs and the Predators are now under there, so they are actually doing Currently there is a Wolverine Predator comic, which I do think is a very cool ie. You are a lot of fans we'd love to read, I'm sure. Interestingly, Marvel has basically they're aware of what this can be, so they have pretty much consistently published Alien comics since they took over the line in twenty twenty one, doing like a mini series at a time, kind of mimicking that dark Horse model, and we do have coming up. I feel like this is huge and could kind of reset the tone of the Alien comics as a new era, kind of post the dark Horse stuff, which is the twenty fifteen Secret Wars creative team Jonathan Hickman and Asad Ribbic are tackling Aliens Versus Avengers, which is.
Speaker 1: Going to begin this August, and that's going to be a big mini series.
Speaker 2: So I think that is like a huge crossover, and it kind of could really be something that. Again, you know, it's Hickman, so he's probably is going to be thinking about those He's going to.
Speaker 6: Be getting into Waylan Katani for sure show internal story.
Speaker 2: He loves the backstory. And the good thing is whereas before, I'm assuming this is one of the few positives of the monopolies that we live under now as consumers. I'm sure that before the dark Horse Comics likely had to go through licensing to be able to get approvals, Whereas now if you did want to do something about the whalan Utani Corporation, now Disney owns it. So I'm sure that Hickman and Nasad probably have a lot more freedom to tell this story. So that is very exciting. I want to ask you guys before I start, what's the most exciting thing that you learned aside from Crocodile, because I feel like he really.
Speaker 4: Spoke to.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like, what's the most exciting thing you learned during this fun look back at the Alien comics history before we begin to look at the future.
Speaker 6: Oh man, I think just that there's an entire series of like goofy crossovers like I knew about the Archie one because that was right as I started getting into comics and it was freaking everywhere, people like Gangbusters for it. But I didn't know about Vampirella, and I didn't and it's kind of like thrilling. I was thinking, we should do an episode of either TV series and movies that have thrived in comics or that have like gone like orph and Black went to comics just to keep being a TV series on TV anymore totally.
Speaker 1: And then if you think.
Speaker 5: About yeah, mm hmmmm.
Speaker 6: And then after the Last Airbender, was like, we can't be queer on TV, but we'd be gan as hell in these comics, and so like, I really think there's something interesting about Alien being the sort of maybe original like source of that ability to like crossover vibe adapt in between major cinematic projects.
Speaker 1: It's kind of yeah, I think that's really interesting.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is definitely all blowing my mind, and I would love to see a lot of these adaptations made into like movies or animated features or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna say, I feel like animated we've seen like the Warner Brothers especially, they're so prolific with their animated stuff, and they've done more combat, and they've done all.
Speaker 1: These different properties.
Speaker 2: I think they could do a fantastic like alien versus Batman versus Superman type situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that, Yeah, really cool.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the Vampora, I mean Vamparella giving birth to the Queen's anymore? Like come on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, come on, come and go to the comic shop. Get it now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, So next up, we're gonna do what if, and we're going to talk about the alien crossovers that we would love to see in the world. Welcome to If, where we're going to talk about the alien crossovers that we are most excited for that don't yet exist, that we're going to try and speak into existence. So I will go first because I do think the biggest one that has never happened, that goes all the way back to the origins of these comics.
Speaker 1: Is Star Wars versus Aliens.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, both now.
Speaker 1: And I feel like fans are eager.
Speaker 2: To see if the Xenomorphs could like make an appearance in the galaxy.
Speaker 1: Far far away.
Speaker 2: It seems like a long shot, but the circumstances are prime for it that under all the rights are under the same roof Marvel is currently publishing both Aliens and Star Wars comics, alongside the mainline superheroes and a beloved character like Bilart Valence who people love.
Speaker 1: That would be like a poetic way to.
Speaker 2: Join the franchises and a convenient way to blend the worlds. It would also be like a full circle moment, as Valance was created by the first creative t to ever take on the Alien comics. So that's my pitch. I don't think we'll ever see that in a cinematic way, but I do think we could see it in the comics. I feel like we could definitely see it in the comics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be amazing, even as just like a side story.
Speaker 5: I have absurd ideas.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Joell'll go crazy my saying My first my saying pitch would be Star Trek would be very interesting, especially if you look at the corporate side of it all and then the scientific like morality of it all. I think, just thematically and it as serious. If you wanted to keep like a very serious Prometheus esque tone, you could easily blend that with any with the majority of Star Trek's and have like a really good storyline. But if it was very ridiculous, I would say aliens times Pokemon, I would die.
Speaker 1: I would love to say animal.
Speaker 4: Into a face hugger.
Speaker 2: Also like Ash is like trying to catch those animorphs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, that's.
Speaker 6: Pretty great, and then imagine them over time like either getting like Mewtube where scientists start experimenting on them, Like I feel like Whalen, we are always sort of stuck out in space and like we don't get to see like what are y'all doing with the alien stuff?
Speaker 2: Like what?
Speaker 6: And I would really like it if you know, they could Professor Oaks down there being like, guys, this is a bad idea and they're like, no, we could definitely do it, ha ha. And then yeah, a final poblemon battle. I don't know who they face, but I'm very interesting by the idea and the keenness.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: What would what would the xenomorphs type be?
Speaker 2: Type babe because I think, yeah, I think steal poison.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go steal poison.
Speaker 1: I think poison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think that's definitely the right type common.
Speaker 1: What about you? What's your high concept pitch?
Speaker 4: Can I steal the one that Aaron put.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, please talk about that.
Speaker 2: I think I'm super producer put his pitch in and com fully expanded on it, So tell us more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm obsessed with the Metroid game franchise, and it's actually what got me into the Alien franchise because I remember distinctly as a young child playing Metroid and when you die, you get the game of her She's a girl. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was obsessed ever since then.
Speaker 1: But one of the greatest moments in games.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I would love to see Samos fight the Xenomorphs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, explain, explain the impact, Yeah, and the like.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't have the Metroid franchise without the Alien franchise, And it's all clearly like Samus is directly inspired by Ellen Ripley, Ridley the Big bad Our, Big Bad Dragon, space pirate, whatever you want to call him. He's named after Ridley Scott and the Choso the Birdlike supernatural people in the world are modeled after the engineers that we see, or at least the one engineer that we see in the first h Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, also, there has been like an extensive Alien video game franchise too, so I feel like there is space for it in multiple frames. But I would love to see a Metroid Alien crossover. I think that's really cool.
Speaker 5: Yes, are so smart.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much for joining me on this wild journey through alien comics history.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 5: I now have a new hold list at my comic bookshop. They won't be just yeah every day.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'll spend less money yeah this week, and they're like try.
Speaker 1: Also as well.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, like, these comics are so delightful to have in your hands, like they are just a lot of them are prestige, which means like they're bound differently or they're a little you know, and and they just really feel like a great old vintage comic. So I'm just like, go out, go to your comic shop, dig through. We've basically given you a reading list here. We can make a little list for the show notes too. So yeah, thank you so much, guys. I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Tune in tomorrow borrow when Jason and I recap all the Alien movies. We'll be discussing our favorite moments. Sneaky old men hiding aboard spaceships, and of course all of our favorite so called.
Speaker 2: Scientists who will absolutely take no precaution whatsoever when confronted with a hostile species.
Speaker 1: In the middle of space.
Speaker 8: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kitsupsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord. Kenny Goodman and Heidi are discord moderator.