Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a A, the b a q A what you saying? The b a q eight with Manda, the b a q A with Tiffan A, the b a q a A bright ambition question and answers.
Speaker 2: You have questions, we have some answers.
Speaker 1: Although we are not your attorney, we are not your financial advisor, but we are two really smart brown girls that know a thing or two about business, career and personal finance.
Speaker 2: So let your questions come on in.
Speaker 1: But we're excited, right Mandy, this time we're having a little different twist what we gonna do this week.
Speaker 3: You're putting me in the hot seat excited slash nervous. So we decided because Tiff and I are, well, you're at a point where you are raising your rates as you should be and on this whole new like level, playing like this whole new playing field as a as a as a badass business owner, as an ex expert, as a source all those things, as a speaker, and have lots of questions about, like, okay, how to go about negotiating rate increases and having those awkward conversations. And your girl is a negotiating queen, and I love it, so I can't wait to hear your questions. So today's show is going to be Tiffany grilling me with her all of her negotiating questions from the budgetista. And then next week I'm excited because as I am building my business Bandy Money and I'm about to relaunch Mandy money Makers and all these exciting things, I am going to take my questions to Tiffany about how to approach this online business empire that I hope to build, and y'all get to sit and hopefully you'll learn from us answering each other. Yeah, so this is going to be a little bit different, a little bit juicy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we.
Speaker 3: Get started, should we mention our exciting news for them as well?
Speaker 1: Yes, because we're not. It's not just gonna be me and Mandy hot seating each other. You guys are going to get a chance to enter into the studios and hot seat up. So that's just gonna look like literally, like you know, one of you'll multiple BA Family listeners. You're coming into the studio now at the same time, but coming into the virtual studio and then peppering us with career, business and personal finance questions as well, so you know, we're gonna still we're gonna mix that in with our normal ba QA you know the way we're a template that we normally do, but we just wanted to change it up and get a chance to like hear from you guys. And if you're wanting, man, it's gonna share. Like if you want to be on podcast with us, you you know, this is what you can do. Like I said, you don't have to physically be here, You're just gonna join us digitally online. Here's what you do if you if you like to be in the studio and ask your questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So instructions are as follows. To be considered to be a guest for the ba Q b a Q and a episode of brod Ambition, go to Instagram, make sure you're following us so that your message will end up in our inbox that we actually see and set end us a voice message with your question. We want to hear your voice, hear your question. Tell us a little bit about yourself, why you want to be on the b a Q and A, and what types of questions you may have. We're not looking for just one question. You may have multiple questions like we actually want to hang out with you on the ba Q and A and see all the different questions. Maybe it's a little bit career, maybe a little bit fine, it's a little bit of investing. We're so excited. So head to brown Ambision podcast on IG slide into our dms. What they voice Note this is important, not just a written answer, but the voice message is important. If you don't know how Google is, your friends, you'll figure it out. If you love us, okay, and then our producer will be in touch if you get an opportunity to be on the show. So you know, don't don't be don't don't be crazy, okay, just be normal, be yourself. And yeah, we're excited.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this came about like this, like me, this kind of like Q and A of them doing Mandy CAMDBAT Because so you guys know already that Mandy is like this master negotiator. She's been helping women, you know, make more and ask for more, and most recently she came out with this scripts product, which I was like, wait a minute, I need it because I struggle with negotiating. And so it's nineteen scripts right to help you. What is the nineteenth script to help.
Speaker 3: You nineteen word for word scripts to help you negotiate without leaving money on the table. So what to say when you are submitting a counter offer? I have a literal template counteroffer letter, but I also have many scripts for what to say if you're on the phone and your recruiter is like, oh, but you said that this you know, salary was fine when we first talked, or you know, I don't know about salaries being negotiable? What about equity? Like those types of conversations that happen. And this, this guide came about after over a year of talking to hundreds of women across the country doing the One I Want coaching, doing my full coaching program Mandy money Makers and get an understanding that one of the biggest reasons women's women are not negotiating women of color especially is that we just don't know what to say and it's awkward enough, like even if you do know what's important to negotiate, you get stuck. I'm like, so, now, who's going to tell me what to say? So I have solved that issue for you guys, and already and hearing that one of the people who've down one of the women who downloaded the guides earned an additional three thousand dollars. That's on a recent job offer.
Speaker 1: It's so if you want to get to my office, but if you want to get it, it's mandyscripts dot com right.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Mandy Moneyscripts dot com, Mandy Money, Mandy Money. Tiffany's always like, sell the girl. What's the link at mandymoneyscripts dot com to pick up your copy. You can also go to Mandy money dot com slash shop. It's out there.
Speaker 1: But so I wanted to, like, just I want to kind of give you that like preface, because that's I want you to understand how this came about. Because when Mandy with sharing that during our last episode, I was like, hold up, wait a minute, let me get some time in it, because so now now than so normally typically what I do, Mandy, So now like you know, y'all just gonna have to listening because I got some real questions. Right, So, typically if you do what every year, what I do, Mandy is that I raise my race just off GP. I call it just the GP race, you know, general principle. Because I'm like, it's a new year, child inflation is out here inflating, you got to pay more yesterday's price in today's price. But then there are moments when something happens that you know, it feels like it makes sense to raise the raids because I'm quote unquote more visibly valuable, you know. And so with my new Netflix documentary Get Smart with Money, it has just really transformed the way, you know, I think people. It really just elevated the brand to another level, the budgetnista, and so I'm just so I'm struggling with because I'm already not inexpensive, you know, and I'm just like, well.
Speaker 2: One, how do why? Because I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Usually when I raise my raids, Mandy, there's no rhym or reason. I just be like that sounds cute. Yeah, right, So one first question I have is how do I really figure out what makes sense? You know, like how much more I should be charging based upon? Like what are my metrics I should be looking at that you suggest?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think first and foremost. And this goes for anyone who's negotiating and trying to increase your your perception of your value, because sometimes it doesn't feel like you yourself have changed so much. You've always been doing this, right, Like, your your skill set have grows, probably incrementally all the time. But you know, you know what you know, and you do what you do, and you've been doing it for a long time. You're very good at it. So what helps is when I flip it and I'm like, so, how much more valuable is your time today than it was, you know, a year ago. That's really what it comes comes to when, like when right now, with this documentary coming out, and of course with the book so well and everything else that you have going on, you have more and more opportunities coming your way, and your time is still limited. So I mean that's just simple economics. Limited supply of time, more demand for that time means that your time is valued much much more as far as what to aim for. So I think that one of the things we talked about. I don't know how specific you're going to get with numbers when we have all of our bea fan listening.
Speaker 1: None only here do you know me? So, if I'm main candidate right now, my keynote is fifty thousand dollars and that does not include travel, It does not include accommodations or anything like that. And if you're wanting me to like, because sometimes the keynote also involves me like staying for because there's also like a travel day where if I'm staying there for like you know, like the twenty four hours of you know, forty eight hours, it's fourteen thousand dollars per travel day. So honestly, to do a whole event, it could be upwards of like seventy one thousand, but just a raw, raw.
Speaker 2: Keynote is fifty.
Speaker 1: And my financial advisor, Angelie I was just sharing with her, like, oh, I'm at fifteen and I think I'm gonna push it to sixty five, maybe seventy.
Speaker 2: And she was like, or one hundred.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, that seems like a lot. She said, because Ajulie works with high net worth individuals. And she said a handful of them also like you know, speak or whatever. They don't do what I do particularly, but like do their own speaking or whatever. And she said, and almost all of them are at one hundred thousand or more. And you know the difference between them and you, Tiffany, And I was like no. She was like, they're white, and they're mail was a favorite, and they accomplished less than you have. And I was like, say what now, she said, Tiffany, not one of them is a New York Times bestseller, not one of them has a thing on Netflix, not that one of them has gotten a law pass, not one of them has been on the cover of Money magazine. Not what she was like listing all of the things that I've accomplished, and she was just like, and yet you're charging half, you know, She's like, do I think that they're overcharging? No?
Speaker 2: Do I think that you're under absolutely? And so I was like, it just seemed like so much, you know, like I'm trying to break out. I know this sounds crazy cause you might be listening.
Speaker 1: Like what tivity the hell you been fifteen years in the game, But I just it just seems like, so what if someone because this has happened, I will say, I know that fifty is too low, because this year alone, about six or so companies have paid fifty as if it was like pocket change. They want to Yeah, sure, And I was like, ah, you know, but there was one company particularly that gave me a little bit of pushback about the pricing being a little high, and so I guess I'm afraid if I push it to that one hundred. What do I do because I'm always fumbling when people push back, So what what do you say when someone's like that seems high? You know, like what is that script?
Speaker 3: Well, that's when the fun began. That's when the fun begins. So the first thing that you said, well, there's a couple of things. One you did. The best thing possible when it comes to understanding your value is talking to other people at that level or a source of information that will give you a sense of what other people in your field. Because it's kind of like trying to price a house right right now, you're in a hot neighborhood, like to the budget needs to mansion, Like a Starbucks just opened up, there's a Trader Joe's down the down the street. It seems like like you're you're on the up and up, you know what I mean. They just built a nice lush park in the backyard. Like maybe you just add in an addition to the house. I don't know, like your house, your your value has gone up because of the upgrades, right, So think of it that way as well. But at the same time, it's very subjective. It's like what will other people pay for this and you look at the comps, right, So you talking to Angelie and finding out what those other people in her network are earning. That's you looking at comparable homes in the neighborhood and seeing what they're selling for. That's just savvy, right, that's just smart. That's the first smart tactic and the first thing I'll all point out. The second thing is like when it comes to the fact that those six those six companies were like fifty k yeah, sure, here's the information, here's a contract sign it. That's when you are, you know, sharing your numbers in a negotiation and there's no counter it's just mm okay. That should tell you that you're coming in too low. And I know that this seems counterintuitive because we want Our tendency is to want to avoid friction, right. We want to like say what we want and have them be like sure and then hey, no awkwardness, just all fine. But when you get to the point where they're pushing back, that to me is a good indication. It feels uncomfortable because you're like, oh shit, now I have to say something back. But this is a great indication that you're getting close, Like you're getting in that ballpark that you're coming in at a level where maybe it's not so easy for them to just say, oh, yeah, that's within my budget. They may need to take a couple of additional steps to get approval for the rate that you're offering them. And that's fine. So at this point, if they say it depends on if they're saying absolutely not, our budget is firm, et cetera. But if all they say is, you know, that's a bit higher than we were anticipating, And then what's the question after that is like, that's a bit higher than we anticipate. It isn't negotiable?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yes, that is the question after that. Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then at that point, I think it's important to be firm. And here's why. In your case, you have a lot of opportunities coming to you. You can afford for one of those opportunities to be out of your to be out, for you to be out of their budget, and for them to say no. And this is what I have said to many clients, which is that when you say no and you create a boundary there and you're willing to walk away, you have the most leverage in a negotiation and it's important that the person hears no because the person you're talking to you're someone who's probably speaking to people on the marketing side of a company. So they have a certain amount of a marketing budget that they can spend on an annual basis, and commonly those budgets are decided, you know, Q four for the following year. So they may be coming to you like in June or July, but their budget's already been approved for the whole of twenty twenty two. And yeah, and maybe if they said yes to your one hundred k, that's fifty k less that they have to do the other things that they were planning to do, you know what I mean. But it's about like, it's about planting that seed in their mind that Tiffany's price is much higher than we can afford. Because I promise you, when they go into their Q four planning for the following year, they're going to have to put together their proposal for their budget and they're gonna up it because they're like, if we really want Tiffany to come back for this event next year, or to come for this event next year, you know, her price is not fifty k anymore. It's one hundred K. So if they really want you, that's well, they'll put in that request for more. And I know that that means walking away from fifty K. That's not nothing. It's still a lot of money. Right, But if you can afford to do that because your time is more valuable and you were getting paid, commenceate with that value.
Speaker 1: Right, You're right, you know it, And that that actually, like is super super helpful because here's what I would notice, and it explains what I call the gap. Right, So what I notice is every time I would raise my rates, there would be a gap in earnings because there were companies scrambling to one. It was like the people who couldn't afford me for real, for real had to fall off, and the people that might be able to afford me had to almost like readjust their budget to your point. You know, maybe it's six months or a year from now and then so they'd be like a gap and then all of a sudden, I'm making my money, you know what I've asked for. And so that makes sense that they're right, because sometimes I think we forget that, you know, companies, because I know we do. We set apart our we do our budget the year before. So if something is way out of budget, unless you're like this huge corporation where fifty thousand is nothing, you know, if something is way out of budget, then you might be like, I have to see you in the next go round. But if I don't set my number in a way that respects my time, then they won't respect my time. You know, it'll be like, well, what's wrong with Tiffany? You know, like because everybody else out here charge dot dot dot. You know, that was really that was really helpful because that is something you wouldn't think that I would struggle with that.
Speaker 2: But the truth is, I don't have this is not me two to my own horn.
Speaker 1: There're not too many people in the in the in the space that I'm in making that I know, you know what I mean. Like unfortunately, you know, even with some of my mentors, they haven't reached this level of earning as far as like he knows some things that you know, So it's not a ton of people to reach out to it. And honestly, everyone's not you know, and rightfully, so everybody can have their own business.
Speaker 2: You know, I just like to be talking about my money.
Speaker 1: But you know, everyone doesn't also want to share necessarily, you know, And so it's just like to ask the questions like, well.
Speaker 2: How much are you making? I don't even know what's normal. I don't know what a lot is.
Speaker 3: We got to find those rooms. That's the thing. You need to be in a different room in the house, now, you know what I mean. And I think it's really important to also understand, like, of course there's period to peer networking, but we all should have people who are like levels above where we are now to help us understand. So I'm thinking like, and of course, I don't think in your case, it has to be someone who's talking about personal finance, you know, or or business or whatever it is that you're getting tapped to do keynotes for. But who are the most you know, the the most common keynotes who are being tapped by you know, major corporations and maybe even asking your clients, Hey, so could you just share with me who are the more recent people that you guys have hired or anyone that you know who's who tends to get hired by companies and connecting with them, you know, even like they should be honored to be reached out to you, you know, reached out by you.
Speaker 1: But you know, I just think it's like, you know, my girl lovely, she speaks at a lot of corporations. I'm like, you know what, I want to reach out and.
Speaker 2: Be like, yeah, you know, I don't know. You know, we talked about it maybe some years back, but I not.
Speaker 1: I mean, we talk, you know, like regularly, but I haven't. Actually I didn't think about that because she, you know, does amazing work with corporations, and You're right, I could just feel like, hey, you know, what do you make it? And she's in those rooms where she knows. Was like, that's hot paid to be like, well, girl making this. But honestly, from what I say, you need to be making this, I am. You know, I'm gona put that. Let me put a little have a notebook, if you're not taking notes, rewinding, start again, and so I'm gonna put on.
Speaker 3: I know that these are like levels that that are not super relatable to everyone, but the core messages who can you reach to? Who is in rooms that maybe you don't have access to or is aware and maybe it's lovey and maybe it's a colleague that you used to work with. I had a great mentor you guys, you guys know we both know Nick from Magnified Money. Yeah, my favorite, my favorite white ally Nick who had a who had a who had a serious impact on me in my negotiating style because he had come from the big bank industry. He worked for like bark places like Barclays and these big credit card companies before he and I met, and he used to make it seem so casual, like, oh, that's a lot, that's not that much, you know, when I when I'd be handling negotiations with people that I was hiring, Well, let's just give her a couple extra thousand, let's just give her. Why are we why are we fighting over ten thousand dollars? Like it's a lot of money. Like he would say those types of things, and I'd be like, oh okay, And that helped me normalize. And so the more you can sort of invite voices in that will help you think a little bit bigger then. And it's not meant to always be comfortable, like it'll take some time before it to get you know, before it gets comfortable. That's why Angelie is like, yeah, this guy makes that because she's seeing it time and time.
Speaker 2: Again, time and time again. She was like, girlrmalized.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was over here, like, you know, I'm just make a little fifty. She was like, I know you think that's a big deal. It's not.
Speaker 1: I was like, whit what She helpoed me brorack like, oh that's cute. Yeah, you're under by like a half.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a quick breaking break and we'll be right back with more B a Q and A.
Speaker 1: I feel like the biggest takeaways for me, I'm saying for myself, but also y'all listening, are one consider how much more valuable my time is. That was That was a huge takeaway for me. Two understand, like to really understand like my monetary value as far as my time, you know, reach out to a reputable source if I don't have direct access like somebody like an angelie who's seeing ton a ton of these people, or directly to my friend Lovey who does this all the time. Three look at comps, you know, like who else is in this industry that are that's comparable in reaching out to them modesty and being honest and being like, I do you mind sharing what you're making? So something else I took away that if you get no counter. This is just across the board, you get no counter them. As you're coming into law, there should be some resistance. You know. Something else that I took away too was that pushback means my numbers are close, so it's okay to get pushed back. Sometimes there's pushback is honestly, that's totally out of our budget. You know, it's like a little small.
Speaker 2: School and that we don't have it. Boom okay.
Speaker 1: But then if it's like is there any you know, is there any wiggle room here? It means yes, that wiggle room or is it negotiable? Means that there's some money there and they're just trying to tap into it. What else I took away is to be firm and yeah, no, this was honestly, this was so helpful. I know that typically, you know, y'all know Mandy as like the career coach when it comes to negotiating. But what I've learned is that negotiating is negotiating is negotiating, and it's a skill set that I am still practicing, you know, despite all that I've done thus far. It's not something that comes supernatural to me. And I hope you take away that like you can learn so much. So one of the things I was just listening to our podcast interview with Ray of informally of Insecure and now she's got rap shit, that's her new HBO. So so she said something years ago. You know, we all know she's hilarious. She was like, man, everybody want a network vertically upward. She was like, Beyonce is busy, bitch. She was like, how about you network horizontally? She said, you know some dope people that you went to school with, that you connect with, that you like, they know things too, And thought, I hope that a major takeaway is that this is horizontal networking, you know, like and like it's obviously it's definitely.
Speaker 3: Great for saying that I am horizontal to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but it is because we're friends and you out like the city Trump off. Because here's the thing that I call it situationally important. Right, So, like, if I'm on a plane and I'm having a heart attack and former President of Barack Obama's on the plane and a doctor from Irvington, New Jersey's on the plane. As much as I love the former president, I don't give a what bring me that doctor from Irvington. I don't care if if he was a veterinarian, bring me that, Bring me the veterinarian, because he's he's closer to the type of help I need in that moment in time, and that nobody is important over all things at all times. Like when you came home, I know, Rio was like mommy litterally you could be standing next to Michelle Obama. He's like, who that lady moms here? Because in that situation, you are most important. And so it's the same thing with like knowledge and access to it that like, yes, certainly I have been in business for a long time, but there.
Speaker 2: I don't know all the things. This is literally like one of your your your like the thing.
Speaker 1: That you specialize in, and so I don't specialize in this, and so you are the doctor on the plane. You know, when it comes to this conversation, you know, you know what I mean, preschool teacher. I'll be coming up with the analogies.
Speaker 2: No, but this was I don't say this is really hard to teach or something.
Speaker 1: But honestly, my biggest thing. I'm actually going to put this on a sticky. How much more valuable is my time? When I tell you maybe that hit me in the gut, like, you know what, Tiffy, your time is even more valuable because I'm getting pitched all the time, Bigger and bigger things are coming. I'm like, Tiffy, your time is more valuable. You can charge the hunter k because your time is more valuable. It's you know, sometimes it's hard to make the connection of like, well why should I be charging more? This is why I'm gonna put it on the sticky and put it in my you know, in a place where I can see it. Like, Tiffany, this is why you charge more because your time is way more valuable because you've you've expanded the value.
Speaker 2: That you bring to the table. And so like this was so good, Mandrid It's like a do this, like it's just for a living or something.
Speaker 3: And yes, I do. And you also had some responses that I hear all the time, Like I can count like just dozens of times I have been talking to someone during a coaching call and they're like, oh, I do know this one person. They write their name down and I'm like yes, it's like we do have we do have people in our network. We feel powerless, but once you talk it through with someone you can start to see. It's about who can you connect with and those connections bay Baye, like that is the powerful stuff. At Finncom last week, I had a three minute conversation in the hallway with someone who was blown away it has way more followers than me, like like a million times more on TikTok and was blown away by what I had negotiated for a speaking engagement. And I was like, but you know what, that felt good because I had nothing to compare myself too. I'm just out here, like and we need to be talking about these things, you know, and understanding. And it's about getting over that little hump of the awkwardness and the discomfort. And what I like to say is like it's always going to be a little bit awkward. You just got to like push through. And that's why I love the scripts. Right, So I talk to you about like having your assistant rose and you just like write down, like here's some boilerplate responses we're going to send so that there's never like that hemming and hawing over what to say, and then you you know, you have something to start from. But thanks for the question.
Speaker 1: Now that's got So I'm gonna give myself some homework. My homework is I'm going to update my rate sheet. That is my homework. Any other homework you want to give me?
Speaker 3: Yes, So, oh, this is one thing I didn't get to say. Go ahead and let your past clients know, because even if they haven't reached out to you right now, we talked about them planning their budgets for the next year, right, so go ahead and let them know, girl, go ahead and let them know. It's like sending a little like, hey, like a little Christmas card in September. Here's what we've been up to.
Speaker 2: Here are the raids.
Speaker 3: Hope everyone's well.
Speaker 2: That wishes I was like, that is so old, manie.
Speaker 1: This is honestly, I'm like giggling because you're right because the year's not up yet. And if they're gonna get their money together and get it together now, oh okay, so I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: The big ideas for next year are happening now, especially for the types of talks that you're that you're getting. You know, there's and maybe even like now, but the year after that now, so definitely the ones that you really enjoy doing that you want to do again, reach out to them the other thing is you know, understanding, like if you have to just say no period to something, that that's okay and that you may hear from them again. I got offered a panel. I got a LinkedIn request from someone wanting me to speak on a panel. It's not that far from me. They wanted to pay me fifty dollars. It's just down it's not that far and the honorarium was fifty dollars and it's one of those nonprofits. And I thought about it. I thought about it, and even I had to be like, no, just say no, Mandy, why are you struggling? And so I sent the message and I was like, you know, honestly, no, here's my minimum. And the response back was thank you for letting me know. I'm currently pushing for a bigger budget and I will pass this along. That's why it's powerful. I could have done it for fifty dollars because at the end of the day, yeah, sure, I'll do it whatever. But I think it's so much more powerful for the next people behind me too, to let them know that this ain't it like my time is.
Speaker 1: So I feel like if I'm gonna do it either, if I'm going to work for damn near for free.
Speaker 2: I'll do it for free.
Speaker 3: Meaning if I'm just voluncing myself, I'm like nothing, yeah, the whole thing, because it's not true.
Speaker 2: I tell myself that all the time.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Tiffany, if you gonna do it for free, do it for free for real, just because you're like, you know, like the Girls Scout Troops. I've helped my friends Girls Scout Troops get their their financial literacy badges.
Speaker 2: Obviously I'm not looking for her to pay me, but it's free.
Speaker 1: This like uh kind of so it's like, no, it's either free or it's not, which you know, I know a lot of people who don't do anything for free, which that's your business, as Auntie Tap would say. But you know, I don't mind that I'm volunteering time for like homeless shelters, especially women's shelters, or Girls Scout Troops. Those things are fine. But yeah, like this kind of like, well, I know you said fifty, but we have a thousand.
Speaker 2: It's like, in other words, you don't have it's free, you know.
Speaker 3: In other words, so I homework and yes, so just don't have to work more nugget well more nugget. One more nugget. Here's another way you can sort of reverse engineer your rate because I know you don't work every day like and you're a big reason why I love a calendar block and not working on Fridays and random days. So the number of days you can actually work in a year is very limited because you have other things that you value. You value your family and traveling and doing things for free, right, So getting to give back to your community, I know is really important to you. So if you reverse engineer, you know your goal income for your business for the budgetiesta for the year, and then how many days hours you actually have to get there, then that can kind of give you a sense of per event. Or if I'm going to do ten keynotes to get me to this goal that I have for my keynote revenue, man, how much should I be charging for each one? So if your goal is a million dollars of keynotes, and timing wise, you know with the amount of time it takes to put into presenting a keynote, with the travel days and the recovery time, because if you're like me, you need to you need a long recovery after a big presentation like how many of those can you really do in a year, and then maybe it's you know, ten fifteen keynotes and then kind of go backward from there to figure out how much one of those could be worth to you, as well as sort of going out there. It's a combination of all these things that as well as going out and getting the comps to kind of get to a number that feels right. It's valuing your time, and it's valuing you compared to your peers.
Speaker 1: Okay, let that I just write it down. So I'm just writing down my jock. My homework is update my rade sheet, let past clients know, and then reverse engineer. I like that to be like, if I want to get to a million dollars of speaking based upon like you know, I'm going on vacation four times, I'm gonna I don't work Fridays, I don't work Wednesdays, and I really don't work weekends unless I'm like I'm traveling or whatever. So like it leads me, leads me with a limited number of time. So it's like, if that's the number, what do I have to make par speaking? I like that that's this is good or whatever. If you guys like this format, Like I said, we said earlier that so next week many will be asking me questions.
Speaker 2: She had no idea what question? I mean, I told her in generals negotiating.
Speaker 3: Questions, But I really had no idea. I was nervous.
Speaker 1: I mean, we, like I said, you know, this is honestly, what's so great is that this is how like Manny and I chat anyway, like we'll just be like and then so what's going to do about that one? And so I hope that the takeaway from here is one how to negotiate across the board, whether it's business, whether it's at your job whatever. That looks like like there's just some basic tips here. Two, I hope a big takeaway is that networking horizontally is so helpful, you know, because like you don't there are people in your life that's the doctor on the plane for that particular subject matter. And you know, so you know, no one is a doctor the most important person in every single room.
Speaker 2: That just doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: But certainly when there's somebody who knows some way more than you about particular topics and lean into them and then be a resource to the places that you no more. And then three, you know, Like, here's the thing. Nothing works unless you work, you know, so literally, I'm going to do my homework, like the number one thing. I'm gonna do the first two right away. I'm gonna update my rate sheet today and I'm gonna let class. I'm gonna let my agent know, Hey, let these clients know these are the new numbers. And then I'm gonna work on this week, you know, reverse engineering, but taking action quickly.
Speaker 2: I like simple and souon.
Speaker 1: So those two things I can do instantly soon as we jump off, I'm gonna do that. And then I'm my scripts because I tried to buy it last week but Mandy was not ready, but she's ready now I'm gonna buy.
Speaker 3: My Moneyscripts dot com mm hm and so because I bought your book and Molly Moore again the other night.
Speaker 2: We no, this is great. So if you are, you know, first of all, we'd love to hear.
Speaker 1: Like, did you you know tweet us We're Branda the BA podcast, Mandy on my I'm the Budjanisa, Mandy is Amanda you Mandy money on Twitter too?
Speaker 3: No, because they won't let me change it on Mandy Woodruff on Twitter Okay.
Speaker 1: So tweet us if you like b a q A. Mandy's gonna be asking me questions next week. I won't know what they are. I'll just be popping on. And then if you want to come on and you want to put us in the hot seat and you want to be live on on camera and studio with us, like you know from where you live.
Speaker 2: We would love that.
Speaker 1: Go to our ig we are brand Ambition podcast on Instagram. Send us a voice note with your question with the types of questions you want to ask and a little bit more about yourself than why you want to come on and Emani our producer is going to go through them and and we'd love to have you on, you know. So, like I said, we'll do a mix of these. We'll do a mix of you guys coming on. We'll also do a mix of our normal BAQ. I will will take your written questions, you know, so we can keep it spicy over here.
Speaker 3: Okay, seven years, we need to spice it up, keeping f you know. But this is a many Thanks so much for listening. Thank you so much, Manny, this was so how Oh you're welcome. I can't wait to hear I want well First of all, I feel like hundre k is gonna be easy. I'm just saying. I'm just saying, when.
Speaker 1: I get my first one, I'm gonna tell you. I'll come on and be I won't say who, because you know the people be bad when you be tell dabs. But I'll be like I did, I'll tell you when I get my first hundred k. Like I'm speaking, I mean, I've made obviously well over that, but like other contracts, but like specifically for a keynote, when I get that, I'm gonna let you know awesome.
Speaker 3: And don't forget to check out Get Smart with Money, y'all, Tiffany's new Netflix documentary, which is available at Netflix dot com. Don't forget to tweet her use the hashtag get Smart with Money to let everyone know that you are loving it and.
Speaker 2: It give me two thumbs up? All right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, two thumbs up?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 3: Watch the whole thing? Yes, tell a friend, tell a friend, Yes, tweet all that. Yes, Hey, ba fam we could not this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Emission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennis Stimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week