Speaker 1: The first water resistant kindle, Amrich Demiro. This is Rich on Tech Daily.
Speaker 2: When it comes to.
Speaker 1: Replicating the printed page in an electronic device, Amazon's Kindle is king. I know that's nothing new. It's more convenient than a bulky book. It's easier to pack on a trip, and it has a screen that's easier to read indirect sunlight. The newest Kindle is called Oasis, and it's perfect for summer because it's the first kindle that's water resistant. Recently, I chatted with Tanya Francis from Amazon's Kindle team about the device.
Speaker 2: Kindle is purpose built for reading.
Speaker 3: What that means is that there are no distractions from social media, email or text, and unlike tablets and phones, there is no glare, especially in the wrecks light.
Speaker 1: Now, the whole reason I wanted to review the Kindle Oasis is because I was on spring break in Palm Desert and I saw so many people out by the pool reading on an iPad. Now, I love the iPad, but the pool really just is isn't the best place for one. It's expensive, so you don't want to mess it up. It's not so easy to read in the sun. Plus it can overheat and you don't even want to think about getting it wet. Now, the Oasis is a top of the line model, so it is expensive, but it has a nice big screen. It's super thin and light, the pages turn really fast, and it's easy to hold. Now, I think Amazon still puts the power button in the wrong place. It's right where you want to rest the side of the kindle on your wrist, so I constantly find myself pushing it. But overall this is a really well designed device.
Speaker 2: Well, we're so excited about our new Kindle Oasis.
Speaker 3: It is our largest and highest resolution Kindle e reader.
Speaker 2: It is thin and light so you can read for long reading sessions.
Speaker 3: And it is our first waterproof Kindle, which means you can read in more places.
Speaker 1: So about that water resistance, Amazon says it's water proof, but I don't believe any gadget is truly water proof, so let's call it water resistant. It will not mind being dropped in the pool or hanging out by the bathtub. The thing I noticed though, when I put it in the water. I had it in kind of the kid's splash pad area at a hotel. The water drops do mess with the touch screen, but that happens with all the water resistant gadgets i've tested, like cell phones. Basically a splash of water on the kindle could turn the page or change the settings. So just be aware of that this is not really meant to be read underwater.
Speaker 3: We hear from our readers that they enjoy reading by water, So our Kindle Oasis is IPX eight and what that means is it can withstand accidental submersion in water and up to two meters for sixty minutes. And what that really means it's no soggy pieces. You can enjoy your book and get lost in your story.
Speaker 1: The Kindle Oasis also has a unique design. Unlike the other kindles that are just a slab, this one has one side that it's sort of loaded with all the electronics, so it's kind of weighted to be held left or right. It's kind of tough to explain without seeing it, but it is very comfortable to hold.
Speaker 3: It has a unique organomic design that sits perfectly in the palm of your hands so you can read it comfortably four hours.
Speaker 2: It was a signed for heavy.
Speaker 3: Readers in mind who like to read one hand and for long reading periods.
Speaker 1: There are some other things I like about the Kindle Oasis. The battery life is amazing. Just like other Kindles, it's basically always charged. The battery can last for weeks. Plus. It has audible built in. This means that you can connect Bluetooth headphones to the Kindle and listen to your book, then go back to reading the printed pages. And the neat part is it'll sink your position between both the spoken and printed words. Now, just keep in mind for this to work, you do have to buy the audible version of the book in addition to the ebook, which can be nearly double the price, although Amazon does offer discounts sometimes to buy both versions.
Speaker 3: We know that our readers like to personalize and customize their reading experience, so on this new Kindle we have many new additional phones.
Speaker 2: We also have emboldened phones and.
Speaker 3: New layouts so readers can really customize how they want to read the book. And we also have an invert black and white mode, which means at night you can invert from a background in white to a background in black, so you can read more comfortably at night.
Speaker 1: Now for the tough part, the price. Kindle Oasis starts at two hundred and fifty dollars, and it gets more expensive depending on the options that you choose. The new color, the Champagne Gold, is an extra twenty dollars more storage can cost you. You can also pay to get cellular connectivity, which is really convenient, and there are no monthly fees with that.
Speaker 2: But here's the deal.
Speaker 1: The Oasis is an amazing reading device, but you have to be a really big reader to get your value out of it. But the other thing to note here is that the Kindle is free from distractions, and we kind of need this in our world where we're trying to be more mindful and focused on what we're doing. So if you have a bunch of notifications grabbing your attention, well, it's tough to concentrate on your book. The Kindle Oasis is great for distraction free reading, as is any Kindle.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening.
Speaker 1: You can rate and review this on Apple Podcasts. A written review goes a really long long way for other people to help discover this podcast, so thanks so much for doing that. You can find links to everything I mentioned, including my video review of the Kindle Oasis, at my website. Just go to richon tech dot tv imrichdemurro I'll talk to you real soon.