Speaker 1: Today's episode contains mild spoilers for a variety of this year's best stuff. Oh anyways, Jason gets up to own and I'm Rosey. Night and welcome back to xt revision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture. Conday over my our podcast. We'll ring you three episodes a weekly.
Speaker 2: News sometime in today's episode, twenty twenty five Favorites, it's our award show.
Speaker 3: We are going to be awarding our favorite books, TV, comics, games, and all our favorite things that stood out to us this year.
Speaker 2: And before we jump in, guys, it's me again, back with the production note. For the holidays, we are sharing some short stocking stuffer episodes with you that will help you decide what beautiful books to buy for your friends, what FI movies and TV to explore, and some little festive treats along the way.
Speaker 3: So keep out an ear for those throughout December.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the twenty twenty five X ray Vision our Favorite Stuff Awars. It's me, It's Rosy, just talking about what our favorite stuff is. Yeah, let's start with the year twenty twenty five in movies, it was a fantastic WHI year in movies, some of the standouts. Let's just mention some movies that we liked. Let's just and then we'll talk about our favorite Superman, the long awaited Superman.
Speaker 2: Wow, unbelievable, so fun, so fresh, so colorful, so joyous, just ten out of ten, big fan. Great set off to the DCU. What's going to happen next? We don't know, but at least we have Superman and David corn Sweat.
Speaker 3: What a blessing.
Speaker 1: A wonderful year in horror, including weapons including bring Her Back, including depending on how you classify this one in the Moody the Monkey, including five nights at Freddy's two including the final vout, many other final destination to the Long Walk, well kind of time, Frankenstein, Frankenstein. Just an incredible season for horror, and then just a lot of you know, gosh, a lot of surprises, really, including I think probably the biggest surprise, which is the box office breaking success of Sinners, and more and more movies from tours being released on streamers like Netflix. For instance, No Bombox Draight Kelly, which is out right now.
Speaker 3: Actually delightful movie. I would love to see it in the cinema. You know what, it was.
Speaker 1: Okay for me? Have you handed for me? But I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I watched it last night. It was Yes, I was in the glow of the Christmas lights and it was a perfectly sacering kind of like what it's like to be a star.
Speaker 3: But I gotta say, would I have enjoyed it more? Probably if I'd seen it in the Magic of the Movie Theater. Yes, Netflix, I would have. But again, George Clooney, Big Hitter, Noah Bound Back.
Speaker 2: I mean also one of the biggest kind of stories of this year, I would say, is and this will come into play when we talk about one of our favorite movies of the year. But like movies that performed very well critically and failed at the box office, and movies that performed.
Speaker 3: Very badly critically that succeeded at the box office.
Speaker 2: Obviously one of the biggest stories there being Paul Thomas Anderson's One Battle after Another incredible office poison, box office poison, unbelievable roll out.
Speaker 3: If you lived in la you felt like it.
Speaker 2: Was the first time that Star Wars and New Hope had come out, and you were there and you were thinking about you needed to get into that screening at Man's Chinese Theater.
Speaker 3: You needed to be in there, Bro.
Speaker 2: That's how it felt to be trying to get into a screening of one battle after another in VistaVision in La You felt like it was the biggest movie in the world. It was being carried by those incredible performances by Teona, by Regina, by Chase, and you know what, Eventually it didn't necessarily make the money they expected. The Dad audience did not come out, but we still got an unbelievable, crazily beautiful looking.
Speaker 1: Movie, and by all accounts, in its early days, that is the film that appears to be running away with awards.
Speaker 3: Absolutely no question, at.
Speaker 1: Least the narrative awards ry point in the season. Okay, Rosie, your best movie of the year.
Speaker 2: I think that for me it has to go. I know that this conversation has changed. It has been a crazy year. It's felt like it's gone on forever. So it might be a shock that this movie even came out this year, But I still stand by that the best, most important, coolest movie of the year was Sinners. That's an unbelievable movie. I'm still standing by Sinners. That is my Rosy Cool Stuff Awards. Stuff I liked extro Vision Award. I'm giving it to Sinner's Best Movie of the Year, Jason, watch yours.
Speaker 1: My favorite movie of the year is One Battle. Another is you know, very close up there. All apologies to Chloe Joe and Hamnet, which I have not seen yet. I was gonna say I'm eager to see.
Speaker 2: Let us give a disclaimer here, some of the best of the Year lists are.
Speaker 3: Gonna include movies that.
Speaker 2: Because of the festival roll out this year, many critics I've seen that we have not seen. Me and Jason have not seen Hamnet, but we will have Joelle coming on to talk about Hamnet. We have not seen Marty Supreme, which many people are saying is one of.
Speaker 3: The best films of the year. Cannot wait.
Speaker 2: Also, just need to shout out my boy little Timmy Tim taking an a twenty four ping Pong movie to cc XP and acting like he was Tom Hardy promoting Venom.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: We need to see more of it. But they're going to be some of those movies that we haven't seen.
Speaker 3: New Valve the New like movie about the making.
Speaker 2: Of Breathless by clay and stuff like that we haven't seen, but these are the ones we have seen. Jason tell us why one bottle after another edged over the top for you this year?
Speaker 1: Just the It was a cathartic film that, especially in the times in which we lived, these fallen, rotten, toxic and utterly devoid of ethics type situation that we are currently living in, one battle after another, felt like a wonderful fantasy to live in for two hours and fifteen minutes. What a wonderful escapism that hits a person like me right in the fields. And a movie experience from Paul Thomas Sanderson that I haven't quite had before. You know, it's not he hasn't really made a popcorn. I guess you'd have to go back to Boogie Nights. He's a really made even that movie before and even then, and I just I enjoyed it like I would have enjoyed an action movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was exactly. It did feel like when you were in that cinema.
Speaker 2: That crazy car chase scene, like you felt like you were watching an eighties kind of schwartz the Enegger esque romp through these gorgeous cinematic landscapes.
Speaker 3: But there was this hope and this fury and this anger.
Speaker 2: And as someone who has been living in the South Bay, who's living in an area where you know isis stayed on the Terminal Island right now, we had like seventeen kidnappings yesterday.
Speaker 3: I you know, it's it's constant.
Speaker 2: There was something very visceral and different about seeing a movie that actually dealt with what was going on right now, even though you know, the moments we saw them break into the border patrol places and stuff was so earlier.
Speaker 3: It felt very visceral.
Speaker 2: You know, the Benicio del Toro character, the sense character, the way he was helping people. And there's been so many great critiques and call outs and thought pieces. You can read all about them. But I did think it was a movie that blew me away. But Sinners takes it for me. Jason, what is your most underrated.
Speaker 3: Underseen movie that you wish more people had seen this year? Wow?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, underrated underseen movie?
Speaker 2: I will start because you did mention it. You mentioned it momentarily with Bring Her Back. I think Bring Her Back to Me is If Sinners hadn't come out, I would have been going all over the place talking about bring Her Back best picture. I mean, I still have been shouting it out. We had a great chat with the directors.
Speaker 3: You can watch it on our YouTube channel. I love the Philipo brothers.
Speaker 2: I think Talk to Us great, Talk to Me is a great movie, But Bring Her Back is a treatise o bleak.
Speaker 3: Existential horror on trauma.
Speaker 2: When I watched it for the first time, I felt like I was watching something like Your God is a Dog Tooth, like a movie that haunts you for so much longer than you watch it. And also as someone who you know, didn't have the best adults in my life as a kid. It sparked off this thought process for me about this year's movies, about how these movies are about horror that happens to children and the lack of agency you have as a kid. And I think that ended up being a through line for weapons and loads of other stuff that I loved, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, even stranger things.
Speaker 2: Me and Carmen were texting about how so much of it has those similar themes and there's something very interesting right now about children in horror and what we have fears of for children.
Speaker 3: But yeah, if you can deal.
Speaker 2: With a sad horror movie, and you love to feel like depressed and you want to go to Amac's bleak week Watch Bring Her Back. I truly think Sally Hawkins should have got an oscar for this performance.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable. The young actors are unbelievable. Go watch it. Jason Wat's Yours.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Steven Soderberg, the prolific Steven Soderberg's Black Bag, which is a delightful little indie spy thriller that turns into like one of the ultimate wife guy movies, like of Recent Memory, Incredible. It's a fantastic wife guy movie and just a delightful little puzzle box of a thriller that happens like in meetings, it happens on the phone, it happens over movies, and I don't want to You probably haven't seen it because I think it's a very It's the box office box office forty three million on a budget of fifty to sixty, so nobody saw this movie. But it's just.
Speaker 3: Too thriller kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: It's like, I mean, a lot of the film is like can can this long married couple rediscover like the verve, like find each other hot? Really really fun movie, Black Bag You Kill It's where is it streaming on Netflix right now?
Speaker 3: Or it's streaming right now?
Speaker 1: Okay, find it on Amazon Prime streaming service.
Speaker 2: Alight makes me happy because, as a Boo mentioned in the comments as we were recording this, rage Joan Page one of our recurring conversation topics, he's getting some.
Speaker 3: Walk in that gig. And guess what, guys, He's coming back to Netflix for an erotic thriller. He's returning to the homeland.
Speaker 1: Here's a fun story about Reggie Junt Page. My wife and I were had forgotten his name and we were taught. I was like, oh, look, there he is on the he was doing ads for I think BMW maybe, and I was like, there he is. Fuck what's his name? You know? Like, and he's on he was supposed to be bond and like. And we were trying to figure out his name and I was like, oh, I think I have it. And then I was like, and this is the name that got us there, I said, I feel like it's something like Jamaica Paul Incredible, incredible.
Speaker 2: Just like happens.
Speaker 1: And so that is the name that got us to incredib J Jhon Page.
Speaker 3: Classic, and he's gonna be back.
Speaker 1: Guys, He's going to be back, the handsome almost bond ray j John Page. Let's take a quick break and we'll be back with more best of five. And we're right, let's go to books.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I love to talk to you about books.
Speaker 1: I'd love to talk to you about books, Rosie. What are some of your favorite books of twenty twenty five or that you read in twenty twenty five? Before you get to your top pick, my favorite book did not come out in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's really normal, right, Like, Okay, So I have read some incredible books this year.
Speaker 2: I was blessed to get send an early copy of this really incredible book called a Eternal Ruin that is a sequel by an author called Tai Jess Germu. It's like a crazy supernatural fantasy just like totally immersed me. I've been reading a lot of a lot of fantasy and a lot of horror tinged fantasy. This year's definitely been rare for me because I am usually not a literary fiction guy. I'm definitely more of a mainstream or ya or romanticy or even just nonfiction.
Speaker 3: But there were two books that.
Speaker 2: Definitely fit into that this category this year post This incredible book I read at the beginning of this year that really did change my perspective on books, and it's probably my biggest pick, so I won't mention it, but it was a Japanese translated book that got me into more like female literary fiction in the horror space. So two of my faves that I read this year was Blood on Her Tongue by Johanna van Vien.
Speaker 3: It's basically about two twin sisters.
Speaker 2: One of them gets married off to like a sexy, hunky lord of the manner, very very gothic romance, and they find a bog woman all the woud yeah, and she becomes obsessed with the bog woman and the bog woman's history, and it's this incredible, gross textured, fantastic gory horror that's about love and about sisterhood and it's very gothic and very fantastic. What was one of your favorit reads this year?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I read a lot of stuff that I didn't like this year fiction wise, but I read a lot of nonfiction that I really enjoyed. Let's see, what did I read that I liked. I read a old book that is a New York Review of Books re release called The Gallery by John horn Burns. It is a a story about a gay soldier in World War Two and the kind of the aftermath of World War Two came out. When did this come out? Hold on, let's say it came out in the forties. Here nineteen set in nineteen forty four, and it's it's shocking, and it's in the fact that it came out in the forties. It's a really really like gripping emotional read just about that really takes you to a place in time. It's not just like the chaos of and rebuilding in post World War two in Italy, but the kind of like the way that this gay soldier has to find these fleeting moments to have connections with other people that then are just over and done and you have to because this is like something that is a risk to his life and to these others. Incredible book. And then nonfiction, Oh my god, I've read so much stuff that is like, what are you doing? I read this book called Tallyrand, which is a biography by the British writer Duff Cooper. Came out in your early twentieth century. That's about this Marshall Tallyrand, who was a French politician for like the end of the French monarchy, the French Revolutionary government, Napoleon, and then the reinstitution of the French monarchy. Oh my gosh, every one of those regimes like hated him, distrusted him and didn't like him and thought about exiling him or like putting him to death. But then they go a little bit down the road and be like, fuck, he is really good at his job.
Speaker 3: We got him, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's kind of a it is still just like a fascinating by our. And then I would say, if you want to be depressed, the Fort Bragg Cartel as a non fiction book about a about a drug ring run out of Fort Bragg, not incredible during the Global war or terror. But finally, the book that I enjoyed the most as a fiction book, and again I dislike a lot of books sadly that I read this year would be Sa Crosby's Blacktop Wasteman. Sa Crosby a crime writer whose stuff is just like bloody and brutal and like really wonderful, like modern noirs. I had not read a ton of his stuff before, but Blacktop Wasteland is one that just really hit it for me. And the opening like ten pages like description of the setting is fucking great. It's okay, I've really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: If you're pitching it, what's it like? The central log line of the story.
Speaker 1: A struggling mechanic gets caught up in a interstate crime ring and has to get his kind of shoot his way out of it while also working through issues surrounding his his feelings towards his father, who is a longtime criminal, and feelings that he has of responsibility to his own family as a person dabbling in crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: My final two are definitely still in this kind of like genre is space. I read this another incredible twenty twenty five book called The Midnight Shift by Chunson Ran, which is an adaptation of a really really I mean a translation of a really popular Korean novel and it's like a queer treatise on loan, and it's about a nurse who or a woman who notices that there has been this spate.
Speaker 3: Of suicides at all people's.
Speaker 2: Home and comes to find out that maybe it's a vampire but it's really about modern loneliness and relationships and being queer.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 2: But my favorite book of the year, which I'm in a copy from you, Jason, did not technically come out in twenty twenty five, but I've read it this year and it changed my life. I've sent it to so many people, I've bought it for so many women. It is the incredible novel. It's already won every award, so you know.
Speaker 3: It's gotten its due.
Speaker 2: And it is an incredible novel that originally was published in twenty seventeen but got an English translation last year called Butter by Asoko Yazooki, and it's about a woman who is a journalist who connects with a female serial killer through jail penman letters and begins this journey of understanding fatness and woman who and food and misogyny in Japan. But it's incredible because every single woman I have given it to, whether American, whether English, whether any race, any gender, Honestly.
Speaker 3: Anyone I've given it to immediately.
Speaker 2: Within ten pages text me and goes, oh my god, there's like no universal experience in the single like unique experience in the world, like even this incredibly specific book about a woman in her thirties in Japan who probably I think she weighs like one hundred.
Speaker 3: And four pounds.
Speaker 2: They talk about her weight a lot in the book, so she's incredibly slim by you know, Western standards. And yet every single woman who reads this book, which by the way, was recommended to me by by mother. That is how it like intergenerationally fantastic this book is. It's a mixture of true crime, it's womanhood, it's fatness, it's murder. It will also introduce you to some of the best, most simple and nourishing Japanese dishes. Me and my mother in law, me and my besties, We've been texted each other eating the books, the stuff from the book like. It is truly a fantastic book, and I love that we widened the scope because I cannot recommend it enough. It's it's just so engaging and kind of depressing, but in a good way.
Speaker 1: Up next, video games, Oh, interesting videos. I've had a few that have managed to grab me.
Speaker 3: Rosie.
Speaker 1: What are your some of your best games of the year.
Speaker 3: Again, I want to give a shower out.
Speaker 2: I want to give a shout out first to Dispatch, which I've only played a little bit of so I did not think it was fair to put it in here. But it is a sexy superhero episodic slice of life action game. It's so much fun. That animation is beautiful. I was my friend Kai is super into it. She was playing it last night and I was like, Oh, it's almost gonna make it.
Speaker 3: But I haven't played it enough. It's eight episodes.
Speaker 2: I've only played through like one, but I want to give it a shower because I think it's going to come up as one of the best games of the year. It's so much fun, my favorite games of the year. I'm starting off with one of the biggest releases. It was on this which to when I got my switch to which I have loved Mariocart World.
Speaker 3: I think it deserves to be up there. We've had so much.
Speaker 2: Fun playing it with our friends online, playing it with kids who come over, playing it with folks who want to try out the open world aspects, which I think we're a little bit overplayed. But generally the new tracks are fun. I love Mario Kart, I love all the new characters. It's really fun, and it's just been probably the game I spent the most time playing.
Speaker 3: My other.
Speaker 2: Episode would also be My other suggestion would also be this is really controversial, but I'm gonna have it because I like to have a hot take.
Speaker 3: Is it a best game of the year?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Is it one of my favorite games of the year. Yes, Tales of the Shire very hated at release.
Speaker 2: By kind of big Triple A game review sites, but then the cozy game community kind of found it and said, hey, we're used to playing yankee games. It's essentially a yanky version of the cooking mechanisms from Zelda. You put on two communicate with people and make friends with people. You put on feasts. There is no money aspect. That is not capitalistic. It's all about just hanging around and hanging out with your friends and doing up your little shia. Very cozy for me, very controversial. The less controversial takes. We did have an incredible Game Awards episode where Aaron and a Boo talk a little bit more about Dispatch. But that's my controversial take. Jason, tell me your two runners up and then.
Speaker 3: We'll do the best ofs.
Speaker 1: My two runners up are Battlefield six, which I listened. Sometimes I just want to shoot people and Battlefield six understundable for me on a large scale, Ghosts of Yota, which unbelievable, a wonderful follow up to the to the first game in the franchise, Ghosts of Tsushima. It's just everything you want from a ghost game and more. But my best game of the year, My favorite game of the year has to be ARC Readers Crazy extraction third person shooter. What is an extraction shooter, you ask. It's a game in which you have to you enter a map where there are other players, but also computer controlled players who you're competing against in order to accomplish some mission and then get to an extraction point and try to leave without getting killed. And you're trying to get all your stuff that you gathered during your playthrough round and manage to get out. And it is arc Creaders is wonderfully tense. It's I just creep around gathering stuff, stealth not to shoot people, trying not to be heard by people, trying to never let people know that I'm around, and only shoot if I have to, and it is just an incredibly tense, fun experience.
Speaker 2: I love that this made your favor games of the year because you were on deadline.
Speaker 3: Until recently, so you are not going to play this. Jason was in the discord right now. Yeah, I like playing it.
Speaker 2: But but it was that good that it won you Okay, Mine, I've been thinking a lot about people have been having lots of good conversations online about the difference between like, you know, art and content and what do you take in and what makes you happy and blah blah blah, and when it comes to the game, that has just made me happiest that every time I play it.
Speaker 3: Feels like a release.
Speaker 2: Feels like I'm taking in some beautiful art somebody made.
Speaker 3: Is Tiny Bookshop. I've talked about it before.
Speaker 2: I cannot suggest it enough if you have a Switch one or a switch to the best thing. I think the reason it has so much life to it is that it is constantly updated or has a massive, massive quantity of real books.
Speaker 3: So when you are even though the game is relatively.
Speaker 2: Small choice based, you just put your books out, people come and buy them. You go through the day, and you can advise them, and it's essentially a point and click game because of the fact that you'll be recommending people books and you'll have books on your shelf and they'll want come in and say, oh, I really need like a ya for a kid who has never really read before. And then you can look on your shelf and you can have Clive Barker's The Thief of Nowhere, and you can have Ursula Legwynn, and you can have you know, Christopher Crestamanci, Like, it's really incredible to have the real books. And I think that's what kept pulling me back because every time there was a book I loved, or a nonfiction book or a comic book I never thought I would have seen in a video game, I take a picture of it and I'm like, this is so cute.
Speaker 3: So it has very affordable.
Speaker 2: Incredibly beautiful, great music, and just generally a really lovely experience.
Speaker 3: So I can't recommend it enough. That's my favorite game of the year.
Speaker 1: Up next, comics, Rosie, your favorite comic of the year. Who.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going to shout out we are either will if they haven't been released yet, they will be released. But I've done two really great short interviews with two incredible comic book creators whose comics.
Speaker 3: Are on my best off list. That is why they are on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Leelan Canon unbelievable, chonky graphic novel. Perfect thing that you can give to someone who loves a voracious visceral read. It's about the titular canon, a chef in a restaurant and when we meet her, she smashed up the whole restaurant, and then the book kind of tells us how she got there. Very real and relatable to anyone who's kind of dealt with family issues, who's dealt with working in a restaurant, who's dealt with working in retail.
Speaker 3: So good Lie's art is amazing.
Speaker 2: Great interview too, Nathan Gelgood incredible comic, real politic.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: If you like me and Jason, you will probably like the comic. It's lots of jokes about the realities of leftift infighting and movie loving, but it's all set in a movie theater. It's very silly. It's a talking animal comic. I love it, but probably my favorite comic of the year. Jason, you're gonna cover one of my runners up that was up there for my top so I'm gonna let you have that one.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna shout out Stephanie Williams. We love her.
Speaker 2: She's got an incredible comic right now with an incredible artist called Leticia. It's called Roots of Magic. It's a cosmic horror comic based on the real life of Madam C. J. Walker, and it's about black haircare magic. All kinds of incredible real practitioners taking inspiration from it. Looks gorgeous. It's part of Ignition Press's first creator owned rollout. Just really the kind of cool shit an independent creative creator and.
Speaker 3: Publishers should be doing. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love Steph, so I want to give her that shout out to Jason.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about what was arguably the biggest release of the year.
Speaker 1: I mean, this was the biggest release by far of the year. It's on the New York Times bestseller list. In his Absolute Batman, I'm reading it in the trade paperback for issues one through six. Came out over the summer, so I picked it up. Unbelievable and it's fantastic, wonderful retelling of the Batman's story as a younger like twenty four year old blue collar batman who is doing his batmanning at night. Written by Scott Snyder with art by Nick Dragota, and one of the best. It's different folks, one of the best to ever do it. Yeah, and it's just absolutely brutal and fantastic.
Speaker 2: If you guys have not checked out the Absolute relaunch from DC Comics, it is essentially it was thought that it would be their take on the Ultimate Universe from Marvel, which was kind of gritty and grounded, but instead they went the other direction. And what they did was they created a world that was essentially centered around the hopelessness and despair of Dark Side instead of the hope of Superman, which is your DC Prime universe.
Speaker 3: So this universe everything's terrible, the tragedy is more tragics.
Speaker 2: Even Batman is broke, Superman's raised and in tragedy does never gets the loving care that he gets ripped away from them.
Speaker 3: Wonder Woman is raised in hell.
Speaker 2: These are really big blockbuster ideas, and guess what they hit. These comics sold hundreds of thousands of copies, and we're so popular that Marvel recently ended their Ultimate Universe and it has been rumored will be relaunching. And I love that. I love Absolute Batman. It's one of the coolest redesigns we've ever seen. Great pic Jason and definitely like the comic book story of the year, like this was the success story. Next year we're getting Absolute Catwoman, Absolute Green Lantern, my dream. I'm trying to bring that absolute swamp thing. Guys, you know I got it, Wink wink, trying to bring that to the DC universe. But yeah, that great pic, Jason. I mean, what a year for comics. It's been crazy.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be back with our best shows TV shows, TV shows, Heard of It TV and we're back. Okay. X Ray Vision Awards Television twenty twenty five, your television nominees, and then your best Television Show of the Year.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm nominees. I'm going to start with The Share Company. I love this show. It's so good.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't for a certain show that came out very early this year, I probably would have put it as my top show because for me, it was just so out there, so funny, never missed. I loved Tim Robinson's weird ass behavior. He's so funny. Another one up there for me, which in a different year again, Cheer Company would have been number one. In a different year with less good TV, this could have also been my number one the Studio. I love that show.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 2: It feels so perfectly written for people like us who live in LA who deal with press junkets, who know that every time you go to a movie premiere it seems like the coolest thing in the world, but it's actually like a slog for everyone working it Like, the show just hit on so many levels for me, aside from the incredible cameos, I love the studio. That's definitely up a few. I want to throw in a couple of underrated ones. I feel the summer Hikaru Died one of the best anime of the season. You're gonna be seeing it as one of the best anime coming up. People are gonna be talking about it. It's one of those shows best to go in knowing as little as possible, go in expecting a sweet anime, come out just totally traumatized, which is how the best anime often goes.
Speaker 3: Also totally action packed.
Speaker 2: And my other one, which you can watch on Netflix, and I do think is part of a bigger story this year around the notion of how a lot of American TV, broadcast networks and streamers have started to look towards Canada. So when the CW was taken over by Next Star, they decided to just look to Canada to get all their programming. Recently, HBO Max has had a smash hit going absolutely viral, which I know a lot of people are talking about Heated Rivalry, which is a gay hockey drama which came from the youth TV channel Crave in Canada but has taken away very sexy.
Speaker 3: Hockey drama that's taken the globe by storm.
Speaker 2: And for me, one of the shows that I think was a big hit out of that acquisition acquisition space is Netflix took on the incredible.
Speaker 3: Show North of North, which is this.
Speaker 2: Really funny sitcom, warm Arctic indigenous comedy premiere on CBC in Canada.
Speaker 3: It stars Anna Lambey who stars as.
Speaker 2: Like a young INUK woman who is basically just like going through a lot of life changes and it's super funny, it's super heartwarming, it's not.
Speaker 3: Try, it feels very real. Gave me big primo energy.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the kind of sitcom where you just want to sit in it and spend time with the people.
Speaker 3: So I love that one.
Speaker 2: That was another one of my ones, and I think it's on Netflix so I'm like, guys, go watch it on Netflix that I got the screeners. I really enjoyed it. I recommended it to every who asked me for something that they can watch and not feel stressed. So yeah, that one's a really good one. Jason Wore are your runners up this year?
Speaker 1: My runners up? The Chair Company? Yeah, the wonderful, absolutely insane, The Chair Company, The Studio, which was somewhat divisive, but I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I love The Task, which is.
Speaker 1: You know, I think technically a limited series, but I thought was just like a wonderful, almost Shakespearean take on a crime drama pluribus, a latecomer to the to the scene. But I think one of the best TV shows of the year. But I have to say that the best show for me in this year and of recent years has to.
Speaker 3: Be and Or agreed reason too. I agree. It is just I couldn't even be like you take it and I don't take it.
Speaker 2: There were shows this year that I thought might compete, but no, maybe but no, And I love I definitely see Jason.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're in your like.
Speaker 2: Dad crime era because Task is so blacktop waste Lend, It's so in that space of that kind of like distressed guys fighting for what's right and doing their best for their families. I think in a way, the reason and Or hit so hard is it has a lot of those tropes that we understand because Tony Gilroy is such a fantastic writer who has worked in so many different spaces that it has a lot of those really recognizable, familiar tropes. But they were able to utilize the space setting and the big broad star wars of it all to tell a story that in its moments, in its time, felt like it was reacting exactly to what was going on in the world, even though it was made two years before, and it still I think at the end of twenty twenty five feels more powerful than it did at the beginning. And I love it and I'm so glad it's your pick, it's my pick, that's our that's our joint best TV show of the year that we love.
Speaker 3: That's the one. It's and Or.
Speaker 2: I don't think any other show touches it this year. Good job Tony Gilay, good job Diego Luna, good job everyone.
Speaker 3: What a show.
Speaker 2: And Jason, I'm gonna ask you as our big this is less of an award and this is our big take. Let's ask the question here x V XRV question XRV award question for next year?
Speaker 3: Will it be answered next year? We need to know, Jason, what's going on with superhero movies.
Speaker 2: We mentioned Superman, We loved it, but there were some other ones that didn't hit this year in the same way for us.
Speaker 1: It's it's true. Well, I mean clearly we are in We are in a transition period for superhero movies and for kind of the movie industry absolutely writ large in terms of like where are the hits coming from?
Speaker 3: Where are the where are.
Speaker 1: The blockbusters coming from? Sinners was a complete.
Speaker 3: Surprise people original idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people might try and reverse engineer it, but it's going to be really hard to do. That came in to a left field K pop K Pop, Zombie Hunters came out of like came out of like left field. Another like Five Nights of Freddy's is another one that. So I think that we're just like at a stage where the predictable route and formula that has worked for the last fifteen years, which is mostly which is IP and superheroes kind of doesn't deliver in the same way anymore, and people are just looking for something new from anywhere.
Speaker 2: And it makes sense because as we know trends, basically it's around a thirteen to fifteen year cycle, and I feel like superhero movies have been the predominant thing that always going to be there. They've always been there. We're still going to be talking about them, They're still going to be making a billion dollars. It wasn't so long ago, ded Pol Wolverine did just that. Yes, but it's like you said, original storytelling k Pop, Demon Hunters, Sinners, but you know, one battle after another, loosely adapted from a book, but still in that I would say the fin of a film that we don't often get and it was not exactly you know, Thomas Pinson's not IP that's getting people through the door, clearly, But like I think this notion of hey, okay, we had fifteen years of this, what does original storytelling look like? The fact that Fantastic Four is not the biggest story of this year is a failure to marvel simply on the fact that they needed that. But they can refocus, They can go to the X Men and also take some lessons from this year. Look Superman was actually played it relatively safe, right, If something is true to the character, feels like it's at its heart, Like what was the big thing people loved about Superman? The fact he was, like, you know, running around and picking up squirrels.
Speaker 3: It was the little things.
Speaker 2: That made it feel like, that's Superman. I want to spend time with him. It's not about the world or the greater world. It's about is this Superman. I think Marvel can do that, and I think Marvel can do weird shit. They can take lessons from what worked this year. We know wonder Man is going to be coming out in January. That's going to be their first thing. I'm very excited. I think it's going to I think people are overlooking this show. I think they're overlooking ya Ya and his incredible potential, overlooking the creative team behind it. I'm hoping Marvel starts off strong next year with that one. And as for DC, I mean, we're looking at a world where, according to an email that Netflix sent me, they've already bought one of Brothers and it's happening and there's no antitrust laws.
Speaker 1: So Supergirl See it on Netflix.
Speaker 3: See it on Netflix exactly.
Speaker 2: Like, so I think that, like you said, Jason, we're in a new space, We're in a new transitional era. But the good thing is these stories are still here. The comics are stronger than ever, and we're going to keep seeing these great movies. But it's time for these studios to realize, you've got to do something a bit different. K Pop Demon Hunters Sony sold that movie to Netflix for twenty million dollars flat. They don't get royalties, they don't get toy deals. They didn't see the power of it. So even the studios who are making these places don't always know. But I think, by the way, looking at a spider.
Speaker 1: Us never know. Let's talk about that with with comic books. That was with the comic book kind of swell. That was the most predictable period of movie making probably in the history all the time, like maybe ever, you know, you just knew there was there was a stretch there where Marvel was like, this movie is going to make a billion billion, this movie is going to make a billionaire. Close, this movie is going to make a billionaire close. That is not how it works. You know, AI is coming in. Different predictive models are coming in it doesn't matter. If people knew how to make hits every single time, then they would do it exactly. It's so I just think we're back to a more quote unquote normal period of unpredictability that's also married to a unique period of business, like you know, corporations swallowing other corporations.
Speaker 3: I will say, guys, as well, look monopolies, they're bad. Not gonna defend it. We know that.
Speaker 2: But I will say in a way, there is an egalitarian nature to what is happening right now, where weird movies that should not have been making a lot of money, like Sinners. That movie, nobody thought it was gonna make that much money, and it was a smash it. It was critically acclaimed. It's a fantastic movie. It's an instant classic weapons, super weird horror movie that opened to crazy numbers like The Monkey, even making crazy money, like weird movies can break through.
Speaker 3: Counter programming is back. It can break through a little bit more so.
Speaker 2: Next year, superheroes are just gonna have to fight a little bit harder. And I think in that way, think about the reason that MCU is amazing, it's because nobody, you know, Fox had had their incredible X Men movies. They'd had their so you know, Sony had Spider Man, they'd had their big hits, but Marvel had not been able to do that with the characters they had, so they had to think outside the box. They had to do something different, and that is what inspired MCU and the two thousand and eight kind of superherover naissance alongside obviously the Dark Knight, again thinking outside the box with the way they approached it. So hopefully this will lead to that and we'll get some super good, weird shit coming in the next few years from these comics that we love, especially in a post absolute Batman world, Like there's no way that they're not trying to work out how to make an absolute Batman movie right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're figuring. They're trying to figure it out. That has been the XRV Awards our Favorite Stuff of twenty twenty five. What's your favorite stuff? Get us and the discord tell us your favorite stuff. On the next episode of X ray Vision, we're diving into The Chair Company Finale and some more of our favorite movies that's in this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: Theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.