Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Thursday edition of Fair Territory. I'm Ken Rosenthal here with Alana Rizzo, and we want to start the show today by of course congratulating Justin Verlander on not just being a legend pick in the All Star Game, but on his magnificent career. He announced at the end of the season he will retire yesterday, Alana, and of course this is a first ballot Hall of Famer if you have ever seen one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ken, great to be with you. As always, Cooper's Town waits for the great Justin Verlander. And it's funny too, because, as one of your colleagues wrote, Tyler Kepner wrote that it's the last of the three hundred win guys. Justin Verlander is. And it's ironic that we're talking about that during a week with a lot of pitching situations. What more can you tell us?
Speaker 1: Exactly, Alana. And it's a week in which we had three games in which there were significant no hit bids. We had managers treating these situations in a way that offended some fans, and we had the ongoing debate that we have had in this now for I don't know a decade or more. About pitcher usage and just how far you should go with starting pitchers. Now, that is a systemic problem in the sport, it's an industry problem. But each of these situations this week, and this is what I want to discuss, was different. And you can't compare Dylan SE's to Uri Perez to Jared Jones, because, as I said, these are all unique in their own way. Now, let's start with Cese, who, of course took a no hitter into the ninth inning against the Giants yesterday and came so close. But he was allowed to go that deep into the game because he's Dylan Sees. He's a guy who since twenty twenty one has led the major leagues in starts, is fifth in innings pitched. He is a starting pitcher who does go deep into games. He is a veteran starting pitcher. So you see with Keig and Matheson tweets right there, John Schneider saying he wanted to give Cease the chance. I'm a fan of baseball. If I can let a player have that opportunity, I'm going to do it every single time. So you might ask, well, is Marlin's manager Clayton McCullough a fan of baseball. Isn'm Pirates manager Don Kelly a fan of baseball? And yes they are fans of baseball. But here's the deal with Jared Jones. This is a guy who was making his eighth start since returning on May twenty eighth from a UCL repair a major elbow surgery. It was his eighth start. He had not gone more than five innings. Now, I know it was seventy seven pitches, but you're not going to take that chance with a pitcher like Jared Jones who is coming off surgery. You're just not. That is the way the game is today. Now we can complain about the way pitchers are trained, about the fact that teams do not encourage pitchers in the minor leagues to go deep into games. There may be overprotective of these pictures pitchers, but at the same time, that is the reality. With Yuri Perez, this was same thing Ury Perez. Seven perfect innings, ninety two pitches. Do we want to see a perfect game, of course, we want to see a perfect game, but Eury Perez Tommy John surgery in twenty twenty four, an injury this season, a thigh muscle injury, and he didn't come off the injured list until June twenty fourth. It's a guy who's had some injury issues in his career. You're not going to push it. And that's what people need to understand. I get it, and I want to see guys pitch deeper into games too. But that problem, that problem is starting in the minor leagues. It's starting with the reward system. It's starting with what teams have done to change the way they use starting pitchers. And that is a problem that goes well beyond any individual decision. Those two individual decisions, the Marlins decision and the Pirates decision. To me, Alana and you might disagree, they were understandable.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with you. Brings me back when I was covering the Los Angeles Dodgers ken and I know everybody says I keep bringing that up, but there was a situation Ross Strippling, very new, very young in his green career, was throwing a no hitter at the Giants Stadium, and at the time I think it was at and T Park, and he was very very new in his career and Dave Roberts had to pull him throwing a no hitter. It may have even been a perfect game at the time, throwing a no hitter certainly into the sixth inning, but it was all about pitchcount. And I remember when Dave took him out. Ross Stripling's dad called Dave Roberts and thanked him for saving his son's arm and thinking about his son's future, not just history in that moment. But again, Dylan sees is a very different pitcher at the time now than Ross Strippling was at the time. How much does post season length play into this?
Speaker 3: Ken?
Speaker 2: What I mean by that is some guys are on in terms of a pitch count or innings pitched in the postseason, have way more innings pitched because their team goes much deeper into the year.
Speaker 1: All on. That is a great point and I'm glad you're bringing up now. Mike Petriello of him had a really good tweet about this yesterday. He said, one thing I don't think gets enough play when talking about starting pitchers getting pulled is how much longer the postseason is now and how to prepare for that? Ya Mamoto through thirty seven and a third innings in the playoffs last year. Sandy KOFAX fifty seven total playoff innings in his career. Now, why is this relevant for the Marlins and the Pirates, Because as of this moment, they're trying to get there, They're trying to get to the postseason. They're trying to extend these pictures probably to places Jared Jones and Uri Perez that they have not been before. So even if you look at it from the regular season perspective, you want Perez and Jones pitching deep into September, then you want them available for October. So Mike raises a great point. You make a great point yourself, Alano, with this. Obviously the postseason and the length of it is a factor, But with the Pirates and Marlins, in these two particular decisions, it was narrower that it was simply, Hey, these guys are at a certain stage of the season, a certain stage of getting stretched out. Oil press is stretched out. We're not going to take any chances because of where they are coming from physically.
Speaker 2: All right, Before we wrap it up and get to Dudeen dork of the week, Justin Verlander three regular season no hitters, one of only six pitchers in Major League Baseball history to throw at least three no Hitters. Congratulations justin Verlander Cooper's Town awaits all right, guys, this is our episode is presented by Seat Geek. We certainly appreciate them being a part of Fair Territory. With Ken Rosenthal, the World Cup's been amazing. You can get World Cup tickets on there. Albeit, I hope we've been saving for a long time. All Star Game tickets. Go see Hunter Goodman. Maybe he is in the home run derby. After all, what would you want to see? Ken? I know Sho Hee Otani is always a must watch, But if you're going to go to Seek Geek and get yourself some tickets, who do you want to see?
Speaker 1: It would be the All Star geme And I remember when I was a kid, I actually told my dad, I think I was fourteen, I said, if I can get tickets to the All Star Game, if I can pull this off, will you take me. The game was in Montreal. I believe it was Montreal, and it well, definitely Montreal, I just don't remember the year, and I swam. I pulled it off. I got the tickets and he took me to the game. The All Star Game is one of the coolest events and this year in Philly with the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our country even cooler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just really makes sense. Of course, two hundred and fifty years. I hope that Schobert and Harper do participate in the home run derby because they are at home all right. This episode, as we mentioned, is sponsored by seat Geek. Don't forget thirty five million downloads. Sea Geek is the number one rated ticketing app. Of course, we have a code for you guys. You can use code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seat Geek. That's ten percent off any Major League Baseball tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later. Thank you, Seekeek, We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I'm the dude, so that's what you call.
Speaker 3: Me, ken.
Speaker 2: We're switching things up a little bit this week in terms of the order, so it is time now for your Dude of the week.
Speaker 1: Who is it. My Dude of the week is the Kansas City Royals Tyler Tolbert. Now I don't know that a lot of fans have heard of this guy before this week. I can't say I was all that familiar with Tyler Tolbert before this week, but here is a player who recorded hits in twelve consecutive plate appearances. And as he said, it's a tough game, that's really hard to do, and I'm gonna be humble about it because there is some luck involved. But good for him. Here's a guy who is a thirteenth round pick in twenty nineteen, three hundred and seventy ninth overall, never a top prospect. He's twenty eight years old, and he's a guy who really has attracted most of his notoriety for his base running acumen. So Tyler Tolbert due to the week, great job, and that was just a fantastic achievement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, Good for him. My dude of the week is Eliezer Alfonso Junior. Now, this obviously was not because of a historic moment, but what he was dealing with in terms of a historic moment personally. So obviously everybody knows about the earthquakes in Venezuela and what should have been a wonderful opportunity and a wonderful moment for he and his family. His major League baseball debut also came with a heavy heart and a heavy mind, Ken, because unfortunately, his stepmother and his sister were one of the two people in Venezuela who have perished because of the earthquakes there. So on the date in which he had to make his major league debut and had the opportunity to, he was dealing with the death of two people in his family that are very close to him. Another reason I picked him as my dude of the Week is he certainly did not have to address the media and reporters in the clubhouse after the game, and he chose to do so on certainly what was a very emotional day for him. So for that reason, congratulations on your debut. But also am I due to the week for everything that he is dealing with. Okay, we're moving on now to our dork of the week. All right, Ken, who is your dork of the week?
Speaker 4: All right, Alana.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to preface this by saying, these dorks of the week, both mine and yours, are possibly going to be rescinded in the league. Major League Baseball does the right thing. These are temporary Dorks of the Week pending better decisions. Now, neither of these decisions is an egregious offense, But let's talk about some All Star and Home Run Derby omissions. I'm gonna go with MLB as dork of the Week for the Zach Wheeler omission. Now, I get it, and I get that they pick the teams and it's the players obviously having a say, and the player ballot, and then Major League Baseball rounding out the roster. There was an easy salution here to start here, and it was with Zach Wheeler making the team over Logan Web. Now, I know Wheelers started the season late, coming off thoracic outlet surgery, but that's kind of the point. This guy's coming off an injury that rex careers and he's pitching at his usual brilliant level. And Logan Web, he's been good. He had a great June. I love Logan Web. But two San Francisco Giants on the All Star team. I don't know that we needed that. Now you might say, well, we didn't need We don't need six Philadelphia Phillies either. But that said, Zach Wheeler needs to be on the team. And I know he's pitching Sunday, but he's already said, Hey man, I'll pitch Tuesday. So let's go MLB fix this one and have us rescind this particular dark of the week now A lota, it is your turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of feel like you and I are on the same page, and mine is for Hunter Goodman. How is Hunter Goodman not invited to participate in the Home Run Derby? For all I know, there's not been a lot of people chomping at the bit to get into this thing. And if you're going to applaud the Colorado Rockies, there's not been a lot of opportunity to do so, and Hunter Goodman is one of their bright spots. Now he is their representative for the All Star Game. But the man has twenty seven home runs so far, and I understand that people are going to say he plays a corse field, but if you look at his splits, he has more on the road than he does at home. So Hunter Goodman should be able to or at least be invited to certainly participate in the Home Run Derby. Again, as you mentioned, that could be rescinded, but I definitely think he is deserving a very deserving invitation to that home run derby.
Speaker 1: And let me make this clear, Alta, we will be happy to rescind the Dorka the week's honors for MLB if they do the right thing. Amen.
Speaker 2: All right, We're going to get to a Thursday Inside Dish right after this. It is our Thursday edition of Inside Dish, unpacking the latest with the starting pitching market at the trade deadline. Everyone can well, not necessarily, the Mariners needs starting pitching. I know that you and Will Salmon had a column today about the starting staff. Tell us a little bit more about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our notes column today had a number of items about starting pitchers who may be available, may not be available. And I'll start with one that we didn't write about today, But of course we'll be writing about and have written about, and we'll write a lot about at some point as we get closer to the deadline, and that is Trek Schoogle. Now you might recall, and I will call myself out on this, when the Tigers were sixteen games under five hundred. This was late May. They were twenty two and thirty eight. I wrote, that's it. They're trading him. They're not coming back from sixteen under, well they're now eight under. They're eight under in a week division, in a week league, and you have the possibility of a serious wildcard run, if not a division run. They're four out in the wildcard race right now, just four games, and with a positive run differential. They're looking at a situation where, you know what, let's play this out, Let's see where we go. So Trek Scooble, I still think he might be available, and maybe he's available only at an extreme price. Who knows how this is going to play out, but the Tigers are making this interesting. You see the division right there, it's five and a half. It's not insignificant, but it's not insurmountable either. Sonny Gray Boston Red Sox could be named to the All Star team with Rangers Suarez going on the il Sonny Gray is another interesting one because the Boston Red Sox, like the Tigers, are surging. And I didn't expect this either, or I don't know that many of us did. But here they are. They've won I believe nine of eleven. They too are in the thick of the wildcard race. They too have a positive run differential, and their roster is looking more viable of late, they've done some things to make things a little bit better. Now they're waiting to hear on the injuries potential injuries to Contraras and Sigler. But as long as those guys are health they'll be in a good spot in the Red Sox. Who knows if they're going to sell. So those are two guys that we thought would be available, maybe as recently as a week or two ago, And no, we're not so sure. Now you might say, okay, let's talk about some pictures who could be available in Alana. Who would you like to start with there?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question because there's a lot of people that everyone is like, Terrek Schooble, Tarak Schooble, Trek Scoubel. But Sunny Gray is an interesting case ken because he had to wave his no trade class to even come over to the Red Sox, so he likely would have to do that again, but he did say he was amenable to it if that was best for the team. Do you see him going someplace else? And if so, could Atlanta be a possibility?
Speaker 1: Atlanta would be the obvious choice actually, And as will and I wrote, Atlanta is close to sunny Gray's home in Nashville. He has been at times in his career kind of particular about where he wanted to go. That's why he signed with Saint Louis a few years back. And Atlanta has prospects. They also have money, especially after saving fifteen million with the Jerks and Profar suspension, so they should be in a flexible position again if the Red Sox decide to sell. One thing about the contract that Gray has that we should note he's owed about forty million going into this year. He's owed about forty million, but the Cardinals are contributing twenty million of that. It's forty one million that he was owed at the start of the season with his salary and buyout, and now actually after the Cardinals contribution, it was down to twenty one million, which if the deadline means it'll be about six million plus, not a crazy figure for a team looking to add a starting pitcher.
Speaker 2: What about Louis Castillo?
Speaker 1: This is a really interesting one, Alana, and we wrote about him as well. So the Mariners right now they've got a six man rotation. All six guys are pitching well, including Castillo, who had a rocky start to his season, but since mid May three point twenty five e looking like Louis Castillo. He is the highest paid Mariner, he is a leader on that team. And yet you've got a six man rotation. You've got one of the top pitching prospects, if not the top pitching prospects at double A right now, left hander cater and Anderson, third pick in last year's draft. He's ready to come. So, if you're the Mariners and you need help right handed bat, a leverage reliever, obviously they have the ability to trade a starter, and Castilla would seem to be the obvious one. They're not going to want to trade a Logan Gilbert or George Kirby, pitchers with control. They would probably prefer to trade Castillo, who has another year of control as well, but is more expensive and seemingly would be in this case the odd man out. Now, that's said. Mariner's president baseball Operation is Jerry Depoto and his general manager Justin Hollander. They are not necessarily predictable. They are not necessarily guys who will follow the path we as media, I think they will follow. So again, this is something to watch simply because the Mariners have a surplus in an area where most teams are short.
Speaker 2: Can These two guys that I'm gonna say next are probably the most intriguing to me just because of where their team sits right now. Nathan Evaldi and Jacob de Grom. Now, if you look at the standings, the Texas Rangers are right there, They're only a half game out of first place in the AL West, and they're in the postseason right now. In terms of the wild Card if the season ended today, do they move Evaldi, do they move de Grom or do they stay pat.
Speaker 1: Depends how they play, if they play well or even mediocre enough to remain in the race, because that's all you need to do in the American League and the American League West, as you can see right there, if they do that, it would be a surprise if they even entertained moving either of those guys, along with coreys Or who we wrote about as well. Now, both those guys, de Grom and Avaldi have full no trade clauses, and in the Grahm's case in particular, he likes Texas. I don't know that he wants to leave Texas, so you would have to convince him that the franchise is going in another direction, and probably Evaldi the same before they would even think about approving a trade. So I would categorize those guys as unlikely. But the Rangers are a team to watch in the coming weeks because, as you mentioned, Alana, they are in great position from a playoff competition standpoint, and yet I haven't played well. Seeger Is out again, Wyatt Langford out again, expected back after the break. They also are expecting three starting pitchers to join them after the break or sometime in the next three weeks, Jack Lyder, Cody Bradford, and yes, Jordan Montgomery. So in theory, with an easier schedule ahead, the Rangers should be able to push. We'll see if they actually do. They've been a disappointing team really for two and a half seasons. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of the Kansas City Royals ken and that kind of bums me out. They're last in the AL Central. They're ten games out of the division, eight and a half out of a wild card race. I doubt very seriously that they get into the postseason, even in a very weak American league. You hate it with you, Bobby wit Junior and the talent that they have there, But they do have some good starting pitching that I'm certain other teams are going to be interested in, Seth Lugo and Michael Waka. Now you think, you guys think that they would need a massive package to move them. What would that entail?
Speaker 1: Top prospects and multiple top prospects? And the reason for that is the Royals, with Bobby Wit Junior and MIKEL. Garcia signed long term, with Vinie Basquentino still there, with Jack cagleon comming and Carter Jensen coming on as well, they believe they can be good next year. They should have been good this year and they're not going to tear down with Witt and Garcia signed long term. The other problem they have is they're starting pitching is in a problematic place for twenty twenty seven. Cole Reagan's will not be available after undergoing the UCL repair until probably July at the earliest. Chris Bubach is a free agent, so you look at that and then you have the challenge of not really having much a triple A ready to step in. The question becomes, Okay, who's going to pitch for them next year? And that is why they would demand a massive haul to even entertain considering or entertain or consider trading one of those guys. Now, Lugo is not having a great year. Waka, of course is an All Star. But I really don't see the Royals getting pushed enough to trade either of those pitchers.
Speaker 2: Ken, You've been doing this a long time at the highest level, and I don't remember a trade deadline, albeit it is a little bit later this year on August third, but it is so convoluted because the American League is so weak and only four teams I believe only four teams have a winning record in the American League. How does that look in terms of buying and selling and the wild card standings, and how confusing this deadline can be.
Speaker 1: Alana, you've kind of hit the nail on the head right now with the deadline three plus weeks away. You have all of this. I don't know even how to describe it. It's this massive group of teams that are in the mix. Some of them don't deserve to be in the mix, and some of them are just merely in the mix because they're playing in a week division or a week league. But that is the reality. So I just had a GM ask me this morning, Hey, who are the real sellers right now? Outside of San Francisco, Colorado? And maybe maybe the Angels there aren't many. Now, some of those teams will fall out that we're not talking about here and they'll become sellers. Maybe it's the Oriols, the Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds certainly are trending that way, but as of now, teams are not ready to make that judgment. And you've got this weekend and they won't even entertain thinking about this until the sport returns from the All Star breaks, so it is convoluted. It is kind of a messy situation right now, and that makes it all the more fascinating too, because this kind of situation, if it continues, could lead teams to be more creative, make major leaguer for major leaguer type trades because they will need to fill each other's needs. All right, Alana, I want to thank you for joining me as always, you're hosting foul Territory today. I wish you well in that endeavor and moving back with Billy and Ken right after this. It's summertime.
Speaker 3: You know what we do at FT We look for hacks. How can we feel like we can do it all outside with something that's breathable, something that feels premium. FABLETICX hooks us up. I've got the cloud Jersey t It is super soft Crats, but it works at the gym, it works when I'm on the show, it works when I'm going to meetings. It is the true super utility player.
Speaker 4: Same here, differences. I got the nice stripe across so you can have style and also have versatility because you know what, I'm gonna go to the gym probably in the same stuff that I'm gonna have my meetings in and the same stuff that I'm gonna go out and have breakfast in. So you know what.
Speaker 1: This is where Fabletics got me and Kratz.
Speaker 3: Everyone can shop now at fabletics dot com slash voul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: All right. Time now for Grill and Ken the part of the show where I answer your questions, Let's get right to them. First question comes from Elvis Santoya, who asked Ken of the teams that are clearly out of the playoff picture, which is poised to capitalize the most at the trade deadline. Interesting question because I'm not sure any of the likely sellers right now are going to really capitalize in a big way. I would say the Giants, because they've got Louis Arise and they've got Robbie Ray, two guys on expiring contracts, they will probably do better than the Rockies will for whoever they might want to trade. That said, if the Angels actually sell, and we haven't seen them do this in quite some time, then read Debt Meers and Jose Soriana are in play, and then yes, they would get more for those guys than the Giants would for Arise and Ray, who are both rentals. Soriano and Debtmers both have control beyond this season, So the Angels, if they want to do it, they can be an interesting seller, all right. Next question comes from the Foul Territory Show. Good question. Will Don Mattingly be managing the Phillies next year? The answer to that question for quite some time now has been no. He has said all along that this is a short term arrangement. He doesn't expect to do it beyond this year. But in an interview last night on ESPN with Buster Only, maddally opened the door and said, yeah, I always thought of this as a two year commitment to the organization, and I would entertain managing next year. That's a pivot for him. Actually, it's a reversal from him. It's even beyond the pivot. And it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Obviously, the Phillies are doing quite well, but they made a run at alex Cora after Cora was fired, and the expectation is they will make it a run at alex Cora again, no matter what Mattingly does or what he wants to do. So I would expect that the next Phillies manager is still going to be Alex Corra. But to hear maddingly say that, and certainly if the Phillies go far this season, it makes it a more complicated picture. Let's put it that way, all right. One more question before we run this one for Wicked Better fifty four, one of our best questioners who says there's a lot of talk about potential trades between contenders this year. Would you say those are harder trades to make than a trade between a buyer and a seller In some ways, yes, But in recent years the buy cell type trades in which multiple prospects go for a rental piece or a piece under control, they've become more difficult too, because teams are so unwilling to trade prospects. So if you're in a situation where you don't want to trade prospects, maybe trading surplus off your major league roster to address a deficiency is actually an easier way to go. I don't know. We'll talk after August third and see how this all plays out. All right, I want to thank everyone for watching for listening. As always, we've got foul Territory coming up. Alana is hosting Aeric Kratz and Kevin Pollar with her Cody steven Hagen from The Athletic Are Great Tigers writer and former Major league execu Jim Duquette will join them. We are back Monday live from the All Star Site, Philadelphia. Every great week everyone.
Speaker 2: Looking to take your MLB action to the next level. This season, boosted odds are here to crank up every pitch, swing and home run bet. MGM is hooking you up with your very own MLB Odds Boost Token to get things started all season long. Just add any MLB bet to your bet slip, activate your Odds Boost token and lock it in. If your bet hit, you're catching out with an even bigger payout gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred my reset