Speaker 1: Also media, What's dying in darkness? My Democracy? I'm Robert Evans hosted Behind the Bastards. We're coming on recording this the day that The Washington Post is getting attacked online for not endorsing anybody in the election, which I'm grateful for because it means that no one hasn't noticed that Cool Zone has also not put in our endorsement for the twenty twenty four election, which is really good because every year, you know, we advise people to vote for the same man, Richard Milhouse Nixon. Now to talk about our greatest president and I think our greatest future president. Noah Shackman, Noah, how are you feeling? Do you think Nixon's got it this year? You think he's going to pull out a win.
Speaker 2: I thought you were saying I was your greatest future president.
Speaker 1: You could be, You could be, but you need to be a little more Nixonian. You know, have you considered trying to destroy the world while drunk and only Henry Kissinger being the one that can stop you?
Speaker 2: No? I haven't, so I guess I'm not qualified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a bummer. No. You are a contributing writer at Rolling Stone, contributing editor at Wired, and you're here to talk about pe Tizzy, which Peter TiAl does not go by. And well, probably if he was not committed to destroying us after the first two episodes, that nickname is probably going to get us attacked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're definitely yeah.
Speaker 1: We're done. We're done here everybody. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the news today? Is it good? You happy? Happy about the news?
Speaker 2: The Washington postling.
Speaker 1: I don't know whatever news is happening today. I assume something else went down, right, somebody died.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. The Yankees are playing in the world. Cheers.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good. Bill Clinton called Kerry Lake attractive. It's been an exciting week for everybody.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, tiger can't change the stripe.
Speaker 1: From yeah, yeah, if we want to call him a tiger, yeah yeah, so uh yeah, let's uh, I guess let's get back into the old Peter Teal game. I'm I'm I'm ready to talk about him. You're ready to talk about him? Yeah, I will bums away. If you're a journalist, which you know two thirds of us are in this call. December seventh, two thousand and seven ought to be a date that lives an infamy. That was my my Pearl Harbor joke, But it's also a joke referencing the Gawker lawsuit, because that is the day that Gawker, via its tech website Valley Wag published an article with the title Peter Teal is totally gay people Now Valley Wag, which was you know, the again, like the tech imprint of Gawker had been writing about Peter Teel for a while, and they had published articles kind of insinuating that Peter was gay for quite a while. The company founder, Nick Denton, was, to his credit, someone who recognized early on that Peter was not just another rich investor guy, but somebody who was amassing significant power and had a weird ideology and should be covered. Unfortunately, the downside of it was that Nick's instincts were, you know, this was a messy time for digital media, shall we say, and Valleywag was not at this point entirely conducting itself in the best traditions of a journalistic enterprise. Right. And while I think an argument can be made, a strong one that Peter being gay, given his funding of the Republican Party, is to a degree relevant to the public interest. The way in which Valley Wag reported on this initially was not a public interest story, right, Like that title, Peter Teal is to that, that's not a we're we're getting out necessary information title, right, that's kind of that's being extremely caddy right.
Speaker 3: By the way, our guest today is no chef.
Speaker 2: And why are you slipping me in on the caddy outing here?
Speaker 1: I introduced him this this much.
Speaker 2: I haven't Catalie outed anybody in the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Robert definitely did forget to introduce you last time, but we redid it. We did it, and it was fine.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 3: This time gets his credits because.
Speaker 4: They're thank you get your.
Speaker 1: Credits, Robert.
Speaker 3: I would credit you too if I could.
Speaker 1: Do you remember this, Noah, when when Gawker outed Peter, because I didn't catch it really at the time, but I was a baby at this point.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't either, but I did know, you know, the Nick Dent and Crewe and Nick a little bit back then, and honestly, so many of the people involved were so fucking whacked out on powders and pills you probably forgot they even did it.
Speaker 1: All of the money that was going around in digital media back then. I think it would have been hard not to be whacked out on powders and pills, but you could. This is not like the Post wouldn't have done this reporting in this way, right, or the New York Times. You can think of that what you will, but like this was this was a little messy. I think probably. I mean, Peter never sues over this, but this is the inciting incident of what he gets angry at them. So I don't think this would have been something that could have been adjudicated in court. But it is something that if you're kind of going on, where does Peter Teal have a right to privacy? Like if you're arguing that because of his advocacy, you know this is relevant, which I think is an argument that can be made strongly. You probably want to be a little bit clearer in making that argument than Peter Teal was totally gay folks. Yeah yeah, yeah, Now again, I I that's that. I don't think like the fundamental issue here is that they out at him. I think it's just more that like, yeah, it's kind of a kind of a grotty way to do it. Do you say grody? I did? I did I am a high school girl in two thousand and four. Wow, late nineties, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought it was more of an eighties thing, but hey, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably more of an eighties thing. Yeah. So the you know, this had been Valleywag had been kind of poking at Peter for a while, right. They had been making before that article some kind of veiled claims about him being gay, and Valley Wag is kind of certainly writing more on like the what do you call it, tabloid end of things. Right at this period of time, Goker is going to professionalize in the period you know, before they get sued into oblivion by Peter, But in two thousand and seven they are still very much like new kids on the block. We don't really give a shit. Now. The question that comes to if you've read about Peter Teal is like, why did he get so offended at the fact that he was outed? Because by all accounts, he was pretty open in his personal life, Like, it doesn't seem like this shocked even his like Republican colleagues, people who had gone to Teal parties, who like knew him personally, who had got to his nightclub, like he didn't like, go to extreme lengths to hide this fact about himself. Instead, what seems to have enraged him was not the specifics of the fact that he was outed, but this line from the Valley Wag article. The only thing that's strange about teal sexuality. Why on earth was he so paranoid about its discovery for so long? Now I wouldn't really that didn't not line doesn't stick out to me. But here's from an article in The Atlantic which interviewed Ryan Holiday, who wrote a book about the Gaker case. Here's here's what Ryan said about why that line, in particular like tweaked Teal. He thought Denton was implying that Peter had psychological problems. When you read the comment, it doesn't feel that way. But Teal thought, here's the publisher of a media outlet, not just a blogger, going after me. The blog post felt like the first article after years of negative Golcker coverage against Teal.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I do think it like it feels weird when you're on the other side of it, And I think, like you know, for those of us like write and broadcast right it like you wanna you sometimes want to take a spin on the other side of the camera, so to speak, and see how that stuff feels. On the other hand, like what's he doesn't seem to have made it a secret, doesn't seem to have been a big deal. On the other other hand, you know, I think outing people's fucked up and yeah and so and I feel like, you know, people's sexuality is like their own, uh is their own choice. On the other other other hand, like you know, if you're going to embrace some weirdo, like you know, retro seventeenth century ideology about really and empower, then you know, then you might have to grapple with its inconsistencies and hypocrisies. So, I don't know, it's.
Speaker 1: A tough one, Yeah, it is. It is kind of a tough like this is I think a useful thing for people who are interested in the ethics of journalism to comment on. I don't think it's interesting like the specifics of why Peter gets angry, this idea that he was mostly pissed that Goker had maybe insinuated that he was not emotionally balanced. Now, the other argument you'll hear here is that the primary real reason Peter was pissed about this is that it was fine for him to be gay and kind of open about it in his private life with the people who hung out around him, but not publicly open about it because who he really wanted to keep this from or to re maintain plausible deniability with is the Saudis Right, he has a lot of business involvement in the Middle East and the Immirates as well as in Saudi Arabia, and he didn't want to be an out gay man traveling to in dealing with these countries, right Like, he felt that that would be damaging to his business interests. So that's the other argument that you'll hear, and I'm sure it's probably a number of things. In any case, it doesn't This is like I think when I first was aware of this case, most of the casual reporting was like, you know, Peter Thiel got involved in wanting to sue Gawker and do oblivion because they outed him, right like, that was the DDT A to B. I think it's a little less direct than that, And I think this is the picture Chafkin page paints, the picture holiday paints and holidays. The guys really seems to have gone into this. The most is that this is what kind of gets Gawker on Peter's radar and annoys him. But he's not committed to taking them down yet, right, Like that's not going to happen for years and years. So this is just kind of like the beginning of the conflict that they have in each other. So we're we're gonna move on here and later we will come back to the story, but like, yeah, this is this is how he's kind of kind of starting to get angry at Gawker. And I do think it's useful to holiday suggests that there's another reason why Peter's pissed as a result of this, and it has more to do philosophically with the kind of reporting that Gawker is doing and what they represent about the media in the digital age that Peter is kind of personally repelled by, maybe even frightened of. And I'm going to quote from an interview that he did again here from two thousand and seven up until twenty twelve, Denton was on a devil may care right of breaking rules as a media publisher, and that was so diametrically opposed to Peter's vision of quiet individuality. This belief that weirdos needed to be left alone if they were going to change the world. Peter saw that Gawker would punish people for that weirdness.
Speaker 2: What yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure how much. I mean, it's perfectly fine for it's perfectly reasonable on Holiday's part to be like, yeah, Peter's doing this because that's just how he feels. I do think that's a very silly like.
Speaker 2: Give me a break. Yeah, what was teals uh Stanford paper again? What were they doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, the Stanford where they were like outing professors and stuff based on their political ideology and like his best friend who wrote those anti AIDS columns like screaming about how he hopes that this fucking gay professor dies of AIDS or whatever, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and so now, yeah, worried about what exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that that Dockers making it unsafe to be weird, I you know, and Holidays more sympathetic to Peter in this and that I then I certainly come out of like if that is how Peter justified this to himself, it's stupid or maybe it's just uh Ryan kind of needing to find a more reasonable reason.
Speaker 2: I think there's yeah, put it in a different way, man, Like, Okay, I've been as you can see from the gray hair, I've been involved in journalism for a long time, and I've been involved in tech journalism for a long time. Back then was like the time of maximum subservience of tech journalism.
Speaker 1: It was a critical industry. Yeah, not at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, if you think the political press of twenty twenty five towards future press is bad, this is like, you know, that would be a pale imitation of the Silicon Valley press of that era. And so I think Valley Bay Wagon its own you know, fucked up, weird old way was like the only people that were like bothering to penetrate or interrogate that or one of the few people.
Speaker 1: They weren't socatively yeah, just completely subservient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now they were reflexively gross in some other ways. And I said, yeah, yeah, a friend of mine worked on that. But like, you know, I feel like some of it was just like how dare you actually, you know, not follow the rules of obeisance here? And how dare you not kiss my ass? That feels like more part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's probably like, I think that's probably a fair because this is actually what I came up in tech journalism, And yeah, it was a completely like Valleywag was one of the rare places where you would get people who were trying to be confrontational to these guys who were kind of worshiped at the time. You would have to go far to find really critical reporting on Zuckerberg, on fucking Steve Jobs, on a guy like Teal. In this period of time, like two thousand and seven is when that Forbes article on the PayPal mafia that we quoted from comes out where they're like taking a picture of Peter and all of his friends and framing it like it's a like a film, like a poster and stuff. So yeah, I do think and I do think that's important context for like, we don't want to I'm not like trying to deny how gross a lot of the especially today, a lot of like the way value Wig framed things was, but it is important to note also the value of what they were doing that like, well, at least they were confronting these guys, you know, And it was it was two thousand and seven, it was a different era. Digital media was new. We can talk about like what the ideal way to confront them would have been but like at least they were, so I don't know, it's it's it's a it's a messy time. Nobody's nobody. Nobody handled it perfectly now in terms of how Chafkin interprets this, because Chafkin is a lot it gives a lot less slack to Peter, and his argument is that his argument is that like, after this Gawker article comes out, Peter is angry but at the same sense of the but at the same time he's he's kind of like liberated by the fact that he's been outed now, and that this is a big part of why he becomes such an open not just in funding of the far right, but funding of a lot of his weird libertarian pet causes is now that he has been outed, like, well, you know, maybe it's gonna fuck with some of my business in the Middle East, but at least I can be who I am openly now. And I think there's a good case to be made for that because it's after this article comes out that Peter starts, for example, sinking huge amounts of money into c steading, which is an art idea championed by weird libertarians who wanted to build their own cities, independence of the government in the ocean. Peter backs the Sea Steading Institute. He starts funding these guys who are doing like little burning Man style events which actually do sound kind of cool, where they're like living in the sea or rivers and stuff for days at a time. And he's funding this this libertarian uh you know, kind of fail sun dude who's a major c set steading advocate, and he's giving like speeches and stuff. He's actually more into this. This is not just because when you've got Teel money you could just be a dilettante about something that you're casually interested in. Peter is like giving speeches and writing essays about how sea steading he thinks might hold some of it. It's a sea yeah. Yeah, yeah, like homesteading, but on the sea. Sea steading.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, tell me again, how did we get from Peter toe is totally gay to Peter Teele is totally sea stetting.
Speaker 1: Well, Peter Teal Peter Teel, who has now been revealed as gay, can be revealed can reveal himself also as a weirdo libertarian and be like, look, you know, I've been outed on this thing that I actually wanted to keep quiet, So I might as well be open about the fact that I think that we can replace governments by living on the ocean and building floating cities. Why not?
Speaker 2: Again, Like, I feel like at every step it's like, dude, this guy is like stuck in like second semester freshman year. Yeah, it's like he like took some bong hit that like he never quite recovered from.
Speaker 1: We all took a bong hit we didn't quite recover from. No, let's not judge him for that is charged.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that, like his particular like techno libertarian you being dude, Yeah, what if we homestead it on the sea? Yeah, and then no government could touch us? We could be pirates?
Speaker 1: Are this is?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: This is the toughest part of the Peter Teel story for me here because I have to report on this and I don't like Peter obviously. I wrote like seventeen eighteen thousand words on why he's a bad guy. I also, I think this kind of rules. I do think it kind of rules. I don't like it as a political thing. It's like we're going to replace all the governments. But I love the idea of I liked. Look, I watched too much SeaQuest as a kid to not be attracted to the idea of taking to the ocean to build Europe. It's cool. I'm sorry, it's a cool idea. I like fucking forgive me, wow, I like it. I think it's neat what I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: What is se Quest? See?
Speaker 1: What is c God? Alien?
Speaker 3: Alien four?
Speaker 1: Albelievable? No. So back in like the mid to late nineties when after after Star Trek to the Next Generation really blew up when it was kind of like season three or so starting to hit its stride, a TV show that was basically Star Trek the Next Generation but set in a future where humans had taken to the ocean to like expand their living territory. And it was the lead actor, like their picard was Roy Scheider, the sheriff from Jaws, and he like ran this giant like submarine city that traveled around and like kept the peace in the underwater frontier. It was a good show. It was a good show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jaws on it too.
Speaker 1: No, No, But there was a dolphin character. There was a talking dolphin. There was a talking dolphin which there was supposed to be in the original Star Trek the next Generation. I think there was watched that was something. Yeah, because Gene Roddenberry was as he was a believer that like, once we have a nuclear war, dolphins and humans will like ascend together. Oh yeah, yeah, you might have been friends with that guy who raped that dolphin. I'm not saying he was in favor of raping dolphins, but there was a John C. Lily raped a dolphin. Yeah, what well do you guys know about John C. Lily?
Speaker 2: Peter Teele raped a dolphin.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is the allegation we're making on behind the bastards. Thank you Noah for stating it, because now you you and the iHeartRadio Corporation are both on are both on the hook for making that statement for a dollar. To be honest, I think the guys you think dolphins are equal to human beings. I don't think Peter Teel cares about dolphins very much, else he would have different politics.
Speaker 2: Dolphins are cool, although I also.
Speaker 1: Don't think he's molested a dolphins. So you know, some of those pro dolphin guys did where do you stand on molesting dolphins? Email Sophie, do you have any email technically, Okay, well, I'm not going to read it.
Speaker 3: The contact page on our website.
Speaker 1: So we've hit about the point of two thousand and eight or so, Peter is getting into funding Sea Steading. He's getting more open, he's starting to put out more money to like libertarian causes.
Speaker 2: Dolphins allowed on the sea stead you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think that's going to vary from if I'm cea Steading. Yes, dolphins are independent citizens with independent rights, but also they have to abide by our laws, which is going to be hard for some dolphins because some dolphins are scum. But that's a separate question. What So, this is right around the time two thousand and eight or so that Peter Thiel starts reading the work of a fairly new blogger on like the right wing scene, this kind of underground hit who's particularly popular in the Bay Area tech industry scene, a guy named Curtis Jarvin, who at this point is writing under the name Menshus Moldbug. Now, we did our episodes with you know, pretty recently on Minshus, so I'm not going to go into a ton of detail on him, but he advocates a return to monarchy based around like small city states ruled by ceo kings, Like that's his idea is like, it wouldn't it be better if tech CEOs ran the world and like it was a series of small city states that you could travel in between, which if you've ever like had to use the yeah, like all of us have. Have you ever used any of the products these companies make, the idea of them running an entire government is a nightmare. But Peter thinks it's starting to think in this period that maybe that's the right way to do things. And I the open question always here is like does he actually believe this is better for mankind? Because the thing you'll get in Chaefkins writing and in Peter's own writings, if you're trying to figure out, like why does he think this is he has this belief that the tech industry has ground to a halt, that human innovation is frozen, right, that all of the stuff the tech industry is putting out, or these like bullshit little products and like gadgets and stuff that don't actually take us forward in the way that you know, we had dreamed of going, you know when Peter was a young kid, which you know is to a degree true, although Peter's one of the guys funding and investing in these bullshit projects that absolutely don't take the species forward make a lot of money. So does he believe that, like we need to do this in order to actually increase innovation again because capitalist democracy can't do it? Or does he? Is he just a guy who wants to be more powerful and he's like, well, if I'm a CEO, k I'm more powerful, right.
Speaker 2: And that I mean that's the okrans Razor answer. I mean, like what the guy that in the future will fund like the right wing YouTube is upset that tech isn't being innovative enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you know.
Speaker 2: That that's just the real motivation here. I find that hard to believe.
Speaker 1: That's what guy I always come back to is like, but he funded all of the bullshit projects, Like he's back in face, but he's like the first Facebook investor that was there was never any chance that that was going to take us into Star Trek future, right right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I I want to establish a multiplanetary species, and the way I'm going to do it is by putting some money behind two point.
Speaker 1: Zero Yeah, this guy built a website to rate chicks on how hot they are. That's gonna that's really gotta that's gonna bring us to the hover board's oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Got yeah on the SeaQuest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or put us on the sequest DSB. That's right. That's thank you, thank you, And also everyone ri ip Roy Scheider. You know, if there's ever been a better drunk sheriff in film history, I haven't seen him. You know the watch Go watch Jaws tonight, people. It's a nice Halloween movie. So Peter starts shotgunning money to Yarvin during this period of time as well. He invests you know, like a million dollars something like that in the stupid tech company project Yarvin has and I think there's probably an additional chunk of dark money that he he could And this is where this is. You know, we can laugh about how inconsistent or an ethicle his like motivations are, but the way he does this is smart because he recognizes I really like this guy's writing. This guy is putting out some stuff that's legitimately subversive on like the role of democracy and how it's like doomed that I think is useful towards where I want to see things go. And he's right against such a way that is inherently attractive and magnetic to other tech bros. So I want to fund this guy as a way of like slipping this drug into the supply of the Silicon Valley power elite that's going to warp the way they think about the world. And this is a very successful project. You know, I don't know the degree to which all of that is a plan from the beginning, but he really, like like Yarvin, goes to parties at Peter's house and stuff like they are tight, and I think this is very much like a kind of part of his cohesive increasing plan that like, this is a guy who's a reflexive contraryan. He kind of hates ordinary people. He wants to be able to rule them. He certainly wants to be locked forever as someone who is above them. And he I think finds very attractive idea of if we build go back to a system that's this kind of neo monarchist system, I can be enshrined like the House of windsor as a permanent especially if I never have to die, right as a permanent power and speaking of never dying, nova, you know, who can't die, who cannot be killed. Absolutely cannot be killed. I've tried to kill them. They won't die. Is the sponsors of our podcast. We're backed before the Yeah ship.
Speaker 2: That might be my new nickname.
Speaker 1: There's a crap.
Speaker 2: Because I too have a shiny helmet and a third rate Marvel super.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're a second rate easily. You're you're you're like, you're like, you're like above Morbiustier. Wow. Yeah, better than the MORBs. Yeah, you're Madam Webb. You're a Madam Webber style character. You know what I do. I'd go so far as ant man. And you know why that's a big compliment is everybody likes Paul Rudd.
Speaker 2: Everybody. It's true.
Speaker 1: I assume everyone doesn't like Paul Rudd, but a lot of people do. It's very popular.
Speaker 2: He's a dad in Brooklyn. I like him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah. And speaking of Paul Rudd, not at all. Because Paul Rudd has not aged in thirty years and Peter Peter puts a lot of money into life extension projects. We connected it. We made it work, yes, specifically trying to steal the blood of Paul Rudd to figure out what's going on there, what's going on there? How you're trying to play as a thirty nine year old man.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly takes a blood of teenagers and Paul Rudd, Yeah, hold on, I want to give the Curtis Yarvin thing that we're talking about before the is it a little bit of it? Like, you know, Peter Teel himself got sort of seed funding money as a weirdo reactionary right back when he was a kid, and so he's just kind of like paying it forward to this next weirdo reactionary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, paying it forward I think credits Peter maybe with a degree of generosity, which is a weird term to use for like right wing rullshit. But I think maybe it's I think maybe if I'm trying to psychoanalyze Peter and I'm not being fair here, but fuck it, it's my podcast. Peter was willing to take that money and preferred it to not having the money and not having like a platform. But I also think he probably found it kind of like emasculating maybe to need someone else's money that like his first plans had failed and that's why he had to take that right wing influencer grifter money in the first place. And I think maybe there's a satisfaction to him in having the shoeb be. On the other foot, on now being the guy who is funding those influencers, right, obviously he sees the value in that kind of funding, right, So I think he's always been kind of supportive of that, and maybe on the if you're being you're giving him more credit as like being less of a dick. All again, this is still an evil thing to do. Maybe it's that he genuinely is like, well, this money was there for me when I was a fledgling right wing shithead. I got to pay it forward, you know, and invest in the career of another asshole.
Speaker 2: But here is Jarvin is specifically right, I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, But Jarvin is like specifically promoting guys like Peter Thiel.
Speaker 1: As yes God, yes, right, God, kings of the City States that are going to replace the United States as the doom of democracy comes down, right, Yeah, yeah, there are neo feudalists right at the end of the day, all they want is a fucking coat of arms and a goddamn fucking march to listen to. You go to the comments, you like, look up old czarist Russian the band music and shit, you look at the it's about all these guys being like, oh, if only we could go back to the beautiful days of the Romanovs. All of those guys are no less intellectually courageous than fucking Peter teal Right, they just dress it up a little less by masturbating over the fucking tzar. All of these guys just want a tzar or they want to be the czar, right, or they want to be you know, the Czar's I think Peter wants to be a grand duke or some shit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The tsar is probably a little bit too much exposure.
Speaker 2: This would all be much funnier if you think of them all with those giant curly Q mustaches, absolutely knee breeches yeah yeah, powdered wigs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or if you think about them all we could just talk about what happened to the czars in a basement, but you know that's probably ay. So Peter starts throwing money into living forever. He invests a lot in a guy named Aubrey de Gray who's running something called the Methusla Institute, And yeah, Degray is like the most prominent we could live forever if we just figure out the right thing advocate up to the present day, he's still sort of like one of the big names in this industry. Depending on how you kind of read into things. I think he's a guy who got a lot more credit because I used to be interested in some of what he had to say. I think maybe in I've come around to it, he's more of a con man in the modern era. That's not an allegation, but like that's kind of my gut feeling about the dude. But he's certainly he is not a right wing figure in this period. Degray, if anything, would be more on the progressive side of things in the early two thousands, like progressive left. So the fact that Peter is funding him again, Libertarians are kind of like more aligned with the left in this period of time because of their opposition to the Bush Party is a general rule, So the fact that Teal, who is kind of a neocon in some ways, is funding a guy like Degray might would not have been seen as like, oh, it's this weird right wing billionaire foisting money rights right, Like, That's just not how it would have looked. He also puts money into cryogenics and he's sure. There's some interesting interviews with him where he's like, asked what he thinks would be a good human life span, and he was like, I don't see why people shouldn't live forever, right, But specifically he's what's kind of important to note here is that Peter doesn't really have an interest in making sure people live forever. That's not what he's about. He wants to live forever. And he even makes some specific statements about how I don't agree with the ideology that death for every person is necessary, right, yeah, And I think what's happening here is that, like again, Peter is this kind of to his bones contrarian. He rejects other people. And one of the things that bonds all people together, no matter how smart you are, how rich you are, who you are, is that everybody dies. And that I think is what's most offensive about death to Peter is that it it it kind of forever locks him in as one of the herd, right, Like, you're not fundamentally above the rest of mankind if you die like everyone else. And I think that's the primary reason why he's so obsessed with this, you know, like he is he wants to be a pharaoh. He sees himself as like a pharaoh type, right, that he has owed this kind of eternity of power and influence because he is so special. And the idea that like no man, when it all comes down into it, you wind up in the dirt like everybody else. Like that is the most offensive part of this to him, even more than like any fears about, you know, the the final cessation of consciousness. It's it's being inextricably bound to everyone else who exists.
Speaker 2: That is like more than that than just like scared little man child with too much money who is just like, oh no, this you know, this might happen to me, and therefore I'm gonna like support this. Like guy who looks like a wizard, who's gonna tell me, yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Does look like a wizard. Did you have you looked up a picture of Aubrey de Gray or did you just guess that he looks like a wizard.
Speaker 2: I just remind myself, this guy has got a beard.
Speaker 1: Oh man, so fa, he looks like such a wizard.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: So they pull up that wizard ass, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: It's wild. It's like, yeah, honestly, it looks like one of those things like there's like a kid hiding inside the beard's.
Speaker 1: Get off the gray ass son of a bitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll just have Malcolm throw a picture up while we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, find one that really makes him look like a fucking wizard.
Speaker 2: There's really none that don't that doesn't They are all wizard picks. Yeah, you know, I did did you fund this guy directly or did he fund him through the founders.
Speaker 1: I think through the Founder's fund that he starts at Clarion. I think that's where most of his money comes in. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I like sim like I ran across the edges of this when I was reporting back in the day. Yeah, I definitely. Like. There's a couple of other Founder's Fund partners who are also equally into you know, wizardry and life extension and stuff like that, and I was doing a story on them. Specifically, they hired an in house meditation teacher and guru who claimed that he could personally enlighten them and bring them like universal consciousness and oneness with the Buddha.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, as far as I can tell, it totally worked, right, I mean, what else would you do with your time then support the end of American democracy if you're in Yeah. Yeah, so anyway, and yeah, they were all into life extension and all kinds of all kinds of stuff like that. I didn't see Teal at that time, but definitely, like there's a lot of his people that were in there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's natural you kind of get super rich in your early twenties and then you know, you first concern after that, when you have more money than you could ever spend, is like, well, I want to live long enough to spend all this right.
Speaker 2: Right money than God. I want to be God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Some of it's probably that, Like I think, as a general rule, by the time you get really rich, you're usually maybe probably closer to your thirties than your early twenties for most of these guys. And that is when feelings of mortality, you know, you start to and you start to also at the early stages of aging. There is a lot that if you have shitloads of money for the right kind of drugs and the right kind of like personal training and shit, you can kind of push off the early steps of aging significantly, and you can also do stuff like you see this with both Teal and with Elon Musk. Once they get rich physically, they change a lot. Initially, you know, you can get the hair tramlance like Jeff Bezos, you get on Hgah, you get a personal trainer, and you start to convince yourself, wow, so much of what I you know, when I was like a young kid just working, I couldn't have a body like this because I didn't have the resources to pay experts to maintain it for me. And I'm able to what else is possible, right right, And I think that's probably part of what's going on there.
Speaker 2: Also just getting a lot of money all once breaks bad for you.
Speaker 1: That was a good part of like BoJack Horseman right where there's that line where it's like the age at which you suddenly at which you become a millionaire is the age that you're like frozen at forever. You don't really progress mentally past that point.
Speaker 2: May we all get to that point?
Speaker 1: May we all get to that point, you know, but hopefully when you're like forty right as opposed to taking the Zuckerberg route. So at this point, all of these gifts that Peter you know, has been giving, it's interesting, like he's a The primary thing that he's done at this stage, right for all of you know, the money and the high ambitions, is he has started cashed out on and abandoned PayPal, and then he has launched an investment firm called Clarium, and by kind of the the second Bush term, Clarium is becoming a really big deal. By two thousand and four, they had two hundred and sixty million dollars under management, and within like a couple of years, the fund was worth more than two billion dollars, which is that it's double and triple digit growth for most of its early years. It changes. People will say it completely changed how venture capital works in the valley, right, because it was such a successful company. The kind of bets that Peter and his because all of the people's staff there are his friends from PayPal and his like right wing buddies at Stanford, right, who are also in large part a lot of his buddies from PayPal, you know, and he's kind of picking. He's finding guys who are starting companies. Some people will allege their all guys he finds attractive. You know. I don't know. I think that sometimes it's just people being like, oh, this guy's handsome, Peter's gay. That must be part of it. I don't know that it actually is, but he's he's finding these other founders and he's bringing them in. It is noted. There's a couple of things that make Peter's fund really different from other funds. For one, he's not interested in people constantly making moves. He's fine if you only make one investment a year, right. And again, he doesn't really fire people. He's bad at that. He's bad at confrontation. You can kind of wind up shuffled off to a part of the company where you don't have much connection to Peter if you fuck up enough. But like, he doesn't like conflict. For as many sort of evil, fucking confrontational things and people as this guy invests in, he personally doesn't seem to have much stomach for conflict, especially not with people he likes. So when it comes to like what made Clarium super wealthy, one of the things that was hugely influential in their growth was backing one of the most toxic corporations on the planet, Opti Canada.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Opti is an Israeli Canadian company that is involved in like taking bitchumen and extracting oil from it. And this is, of all of the ways to get oil out of the ground, bitumen extraction is like the most fucking poisonous, right it is. This is the absolute worst way to get oil for the environment. It is a hideously toxic thing to do. And Peter and his company put a shitload of money behind this, and it secures returns of like sixty percent for them. And this is the period Peter is very much anti kind of climate change. I don't know how much he acts climate Chang's very pro climate change. Yeah, I think he's anti anti like he's I think he would say anti the ideology of climate change. Right. And one of the things that's happened here is right around like two thousand and six seven he he Elon Musk and David Sachs fund a movie called Thank You for Smoking, which I actually just watched the day that Biden dropped out of the election. It still holds up. Yeah, it's a good movie. It's it's a fucking what's his name the guy who played two Face and the new in the chrysn Ol in Batman movies. Yeah him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a disturbingly a handsome guy.
Speaker 1: Incredibly and like right, it is Aaron Eckert right at his like the peak of him being a handsome, charming son of a bitch. It's a good movie. Like it's easily the best thing that those three guys were ever involved with. It's based off a book by William F. Buckley's son, which is Rhodesia Lover William F. Buckley. But it's a good book, Like it is extremely libertarian, and it is extremely early Aughts libertarian, and it's one of those things. I think if you take the ideology that the book's characters have completely seriously, then it's a lot less enjoyable. But it's it's impossible to really do that when you're watching it because there's just so many talented people involved, and it's a good script. Again, Aaron eckert is is just just soaking up the screen, and you've got fucking JK. Simmons is kind of the antagon. There's a lot of great people in that movie. Anyway, go watch Thank You for Smoking. It holds up like believe me people. But you also as you watch it think like this is pretty true to Peter's actual unironic belief about politics in the early two thousands, right, as opposed to just like, well, this is a fun movie about like these absolutely amoral merchants of disinformation, right.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, come on, stop being so serious, why right?
Speaker 1: Right right? We're never going to wind up behind power Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Name.
Speaker 1: Peter's putting money into Thank You for Smoking and bitum an extraction, and he's also kind of this is the period where he's really started to relish being the famous founder guy here, and he gets more open about everything in his life. I'm going to quote from Chafkin's book The Contrarian. Here, he began telling close friends and then coworkers that he was gay, socializing in bars are on the roof of his new house, often with the handsome young men he was hiring, many of whom were out teel. Self actualization would pay off. In August two thousand and seven, four months before the recession began and close to a year before most Americans realized the economy was collapsing, sent a letter to investors declaring that the economic expansion was officially over. We've begun a long post boom phase that can be called the long Goodbye, the letter said. And this is one of Peter's great successful predictions, right, which is that he calls he starts writing in two thousand and seven about the global financial crash that's going to really hit in two thousand and eight. He is very much ahead of the curve on this. A few months after that two thousand and seven letter, right at the start of two thousand and eight, just weeks after he'd been outed by Gawker, Peter sends out a ten thousand word essay to investors. And this is another thing that kind of he's famous for as like a hedge fun guy, is he will periodically write these massive political and philosophical sometimes even religious essays and send them out to all of his funders right to kind of explain their philosophy at the moment. And a lot of this is like, I have a lot of confidence in your fucking dorm room ass musings. If you're sending this kind of shit out of people are trusting to invest money in, I'm guessing a lot of these wound up just kind of like thrown into trash. But so he predicts correctly that there's this crash coming. But he also I think, because just of who he is, he over captastrophizes, right. The two thousand and eight crash was really bad. He sees that coming. He also thinks it's definitely going to cause a depression, right, that no one is going to bail out anything, and that the cycle of collapse will continue absolutely unabated, will go on like a runaway sort of freight train kind of deal.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And so instead of doing what would have been the smart thing as an evil investor, which is shorting the housing market, right, tell you you have your people in their risky positions with like companies that owe a lot of money and fucking short the housing market, right in order to make money off of what you can in the immediate term and kind of avoid the consequences of this cruel winter coming. Peter, he kind of continues in this like apocalypse preacher persona and quote uh and states that he is quote recommending prayer and repentance in lieu of investments analysis insane things. They're right to investors. Yeah, He's like, you should all repent to Christ. We're done.
Speaker 2: That's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's so sandwich board, is he what? Sorry? Yeah, Yeah, he's basically doing like a fucking yeah sandwich board kind of thing, right, is nigh.
Speaker 2: Is there any chance, was there any chance that he was just that was just a bit or he was just kind of joke there.
Speaker 1: I think he's being I think maybe there's an element of that, but he doesn't. His what he does financially is also what you would do if you legitimately expected total collapse, right, Like he does initially short the dollar, and there are initial like high yields. Right Like he bets against some companies that are taken up by large loans, and their yields in the first half of two thousand and eight go up to like five times their prior rate. Right. Kind of at the height of this that between six point four and like eight billion dollars under management, right, and this is a fund that back in like two thousand and two or three was two hundred and sixty million.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So you can see why people are like, wow, this is the future of investing. What a genius Peter is And he looks like a genius in kind of the early stages of that financial collapse. But again we're just talking about the first half of two thousand and eight here. Now. He described his school of thought on these matters as being a global macro investor, which in his terms, meant looking out at world events and basing your economic predictions on kind of the vibe you felt about the times in large, as opposed to the specific situation each of those companies was in. He urged investors at Clarion to make one trade per week, which chaf Can credits to his combination of indecisiveness and high tolerance for risk. Quote. Teal argued that the world was heading to end times. Investment analysts often employ religious metaphors, speaking of the second coming of bond yields or inequities apocalypse, but Teal was not speaking metaphorically. The entire huge in order, he wrote, could unravel in a relentless escalation of violence, famine, disease. Wore a death against this future. It is far better to save one's immortal soul and accumulate treasures in heaven, in the eternal city of God, than it is to a mass of fleeting fortune in the transient and passing city of Man. And when you read it like that, it's kind of hard to see that as not like, I don't know, man, you're going If that's just totally tongue in cheek, you're really going far with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that is deep into the bit. I mean you are really committing.
Speaker 1: You're you're far too committed to this bit, and it's not a great bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a whole life of Brian.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, right, Shit, that's so weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a deeply weird guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a fucking strange fella.
Speaker 2: It's pretty weird when like the young Blood transfer and like bankrolling the like roided out wrestlers lawsuit over the dudes are like sort of the bottom tier weird things you do. Like the really weird stuff is the stuff he says out and open to his own investors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's so strange.
Speaker 2: Oh man, oh my god, I'm not going to be as rich as I'm personally not, may not be as rich as as I might have been before. My like Wall Street buddies aren't going to be able to rapaciously divide up loans the way they're were before. Yeure, society is doomed.
Speaker 1: Were if you hate people and you fundamentally think that they're like messy little scum who need to be ruled, you can't imagine things would go bad. If you're scared about a financial collapse, you have to imagine they are on the edge of eating each other, right, because they're They're not any better than animals, right, And I'm not trying to shit talk animals. I'm just saying I think that's how Peter thinks about things, right, I think animals are much better than people usually. But that's I think. I think I'm accurately describing. That's how I think Peter feels. I'm basing that off of vibes, like Peter was basic thinking about the collapse of the world. Right, But I have as good a record with vibes as Peter does, at least. Uh yeah, yeah, here's some ads and we're bad anyway. That's all very weird that Peter is so kind of married to the fucking Bible as a hedge fund guy. But the weirdness does mask there's a real insight here right in that Peter again, he's going to fuck up on taking advantage of this. He extends it too far. I also think his fundamental analysis is correct, which is he argues in that paper that investors are going to be unable to as the housing market comes unwound and as these increasing contradictions in the way our economy is set up become impossible to ignore. And I think, although Peter won't admit this, climate change is a big part of that, investors are going to be unable and unwilling to accept that things can't continue growing at the rates that they'd always been growing, right, that that's not possible, and rather than accept the inevitability of contraction or even collapse, they will start a process of massively overvaluing every asset systematically, causing an endless cascade of bubbles in every sector. And that is what happened, right, that's today, that's the last twenty years. Right, Like, he's not fundamentally wrong, but he also overextends how bad it's going to be and how quickly it's going to be that bad.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And the other bad move here is that if you are a hedge fund guy, even though I think this is fundamentally not incorrect analysis, it's a bad thing to put out to the people investing money in you that I think the end times are coming.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That does not make people want to keep money with you. It doesn't make them want to invest more money with you. It kind of makes them want to build bunkers and maybe feel like they need some of that money liquid to build bunkers, right right, Yeah, So Peter starts to panic increasingly Later in two thousand and eight, as the signs get worse, he holds meetings to Warren employees that he thinks every brokerage in the country is going to go under and there's going to be no currency, and like he literally he has his company making sure they have at least a couple grand or a thousand or something on hand for every employee so that he can keep his employees fed if all of the currency collapses. They're talking about like buying gold bricks, like this is like apocalypse hoarder nonsense. Nice, Like Peter is worried that his employee best friends, who were his entire social group are going to starve to death and he has to make sure he has cash to pay for their food, which is actually kind of sweet. Like it does show Peter is to some extent capable of caring about other people, if that's accurate, but not in a way that makes them a good guy. But there's a degree of care there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's like who else live to serve him?
Speaker 1: Right right? I need to have I need to have cash, so I can buy food, so I can maintain a degree of control over these other people. So they have to continue being my friends. Maybe that's it. Probably do anything else?
Speaker 2: Did they learn kung food? They did they start shooting?
Speaker 1: You have to assume food. You have to assume there's some stuff like you. I can't. I can't imagine that you could believe this about the future and not be buying guns and stuff right now. Peter's strong belief that the tech bubble is going to burst and cause a depression causes him to change, like clarium standard operating procedure is that we're going to bet against the future stability of the US economy, and that seems like that should have been the first half of two thousand and eight. That makes them a fuck load of money, right, and in the second half it's going to cost them everything. Right. So, because Peter's word is law, very little is expected of his workers on a day to day basis, So life of the company is like pretty chill during these early apocalypse stages. According to chaef Gen, people played a lot of chess and spent their free time to over how they'd run a theoretical country if they had the freedom to build it from the ground up. Quote. Everyone spent a lot of time talking politics, although it was important that those politics always be of the right wing variety. An employee told me that it was common to hear about talk about climate change denial and to see web browsers open to v dare, a far right web site with a long record of publishing white nationalist writing. Oh, we'll be talking about that. It gets a lot worse in terms of Vdair's shit, my man's. This had been a good enough strategy for years, but Peter's inherent distrust of tech businesses is going to cause him to miss a lot of opportunities here, as well as his belief that like collapse is inevitable. He turns down a chance to invest in Tesla, which might be understandable given his history with Elon. Right, if I can, if I can be like, well, I get why you would miss this, because you know what a mess he is, right, but that is undoubtedly it's a bad financial decision. To not get involved with Tesla in two thousand and eight is a poor financial mission, right. He also turned down the money, the chance to put money into YouTube when it was still a startup and that is a catastrophic bit as a tech founder. Missing YouTube is a big one.
Speaker 2: That's also particularly funny because then later on he'll fund Rumble the.
Speaker 1: Right right Way YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, so I think YouTube, but I got assuming even better. I guess I got right wing YouTube with Russell Brandan.
Speaker 1: And this is like, this is right right Around the same time he neglects to invest in YouTube is when he neglects to take part in like the second funding round for Facebook. So he misses a lot in a row here, and then two thousand and eight comes about and right, and after these initial successes, he bets on the idea. So he's he's made money the first half of the financial of two thousand and eight, of the collapse year, by betting on against the dollar. But then he has this belief that as the as the collapse starts to run away, he believes, not only are some banks going to collapse, every bank is going to be nationalized, right and because he thinks that the government is going to have to take over all of the banks. I think this is just because he's also a libertarian, so his nightmare is like this, you know, the government taking over everything. He decides unlike all of the guys who make money off of, you know, the collapse. Unlike all the big short guys, he decides not to short any banks because he thinks that since the government's going to nationalize them all, once they get nationalized, their stock value is going to soar. And so after predicting the collapse, he puts nearly a billion dollars into stocks and all of these banks, and like another one and a half billion or so into Google and fucking of all of the places to put like eight hundred million dollars, fucking Yahoo. He puts eight undred million dollars in such a whiff. It's such a fuck up.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, man, It's so fucking funny. And I had, again, as a general rule, I actually, compared to most of our guys, I respect Peter, you know, not in a positive way, but just in a like it's dangerous not to. But I also had thought he had been much more successful than this. And it's so interesting to me that he fucks up on these big investments while getting the bigger picture kind of fundamentally right, which is is so humanizing, right, is that's such a human thing to do. I've been there myself, where like you, you predict a big thing correctly and your micro response to that you fuck up because of who you are, right, right, that's so human.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still, I mean, I think all banks are going to fail, therefore I'm going to put a billion dollars into them. Is wild? That is that.
Speaker 1: Government's obviously get to nationalize every bank, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really sniffing too much of your own.
Speaker 1: Clue, it is. And it's like this, it's this failure, it's this this belief that, like I believe that the you know, the fucking Democrats who are going to come into office are legitimately communists. They would never do the capitalist thing of propping up the banks and just giving these people free money to put a halt, like to paper over their fuck ups. Right, Obviously they're going to make this bid for ultimate power and nationalize everything, right, And he's like, no, that's not what they did. Turns out they are just owned by bankers. Yeah, sorry, sorry, Peter, you guys won too much and now you've lost your money.
Speaker 2: Just because you call every Democrat a socialist does not mean in.
Speaker 1: Fact, not what they are, not what they are. Good job, So at the end of the year, and by you know, the time Obama takes off as Peter has lost billions, putting him in a similar bucket to people who had failed completely to see that the crash was coming. After being up by like five times in early to kind of mid two thousand and eight, by the end of the year, he's down five percent, right. And then, to make matters worse, once kind of the collapse hits, he dumps a shitload of his holdings while stock prices are low because he assumes a deppression is and nothing is going to rebound, and he needs cash. And then all of this shit does rebound, and so he misses out twice in a row. Here, investors begin to abandon Clarium, which had been worth eight billion almost I think at his at its height, and by the end of the year was down to two billion dollars, like by two thousand and nine, it's like a quarter of what it had been at its height, right, which is a major fuck up, you know, So yeah, fascinating stuff. Now, this is where we also get back to Gawker, right kind of two thousand and eight or so. Here I stated earlier that Ryan Holiday argues Peter responded to Gawker's confrontational tabloid expose style, right, which he saw as a danger to weird geniuses like him who moved the species forward. Chafkin makes a somewhat different argument quote Teal came to believe that the real reason for the mass redemptions, which is like all of the people taking their money out of Clarium, was Gawker Media. Some of Clarium's big investors, according to former employees, were Arab sovereign wealth funds controlled by governments that considered homosexuality to be a crime. Teal has never explicitly acknowledged this, but he has hinted at why he may have wanted to keep his sexual orientation out of view. So he a bunch of people pull their money out of his fund in this period where he is making repeated fuck ups, and he blames it on Gawker outing him right.
Speaker 2: I invest eight hundred million dollars in Yahoo places any Yahoo.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: Homide Yeah, and like somehow that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nick Dayton made you put a billion dollars into Yahoo?
Speaker 2: Brother, Yeah, I let my own weird like them to steal your underwear. Yeah. So phychology warp my brain and somehow that's Valley Wags for.
Speaker 1: A billion dollars almost into yeah, like a billion dollars into Google almost. That's probably a smart Yeah, definitely a smart long term investment. But like Yahoo, Yahoo in two thousand and eight, I was twenty and I knew that Yahoo was a bad investments.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeahoo's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's so fucking funny. Oh man, my god. So I think the other reason he's angry at Gawker here is that Gker is reporting on a lot of his fuck ups too, and I think in such a way that he kind of blames them for why investors start pulling out right, Gaker revealed our screw ups publicly in a way that hurt us, right, and so and that, by the way, again that this kind of view that like, oh, they out at him and so he destroyed them. That's you know, that makes the case like the dangers of a petty billionaire seemed clearer with that statement. But this is much more standard, evil rich guy, They damaged my business interests by reporting on me screwing up, and so I wanted them out right. That's perfectly normal, rich guy, evil bullshit, right, Yeah, So this period, though, you know, while he is apparently burning with rage at Gker the end of the Bush years to start of the Obama era, it's not a whole bad time for him either, because while he's again he's super rich, so he's insulated personally from any real consequences. And while his clarium investments fail and he stops being like the lauded, you know, hedge fund genius of the new generation, Peter ces success in another venture which had been launched based on the Egor software that he's depending on. I've heard a couple of different versions of the story. One is that Levchin, his founder at PayPal Buddy codes it some of them. The intercept reporting says it was another guy at PayPal who coded it. I don't know which one of them coded it. But Igor is this software that they had started at PayPal to stop Russian scammers. Right that there are allegations and lawsuits that it was kind of stolen in part from another company, But that's a story for another day. Peter is as obsessed with security and fighting terrorism as any neo coon, and he starts to focus on the idea that like Egor, might be useful for something Besides fighting fraud, perhaps this could also allow the government to hunt and kill terrorists that had Peter to fear for his own life. I'm going to have to go back in time here, and I hate to jump around like this, but Peter's involved in too many things to not do this from time to time. So let's go back to July of two thousand and four, right when he and a conservative chaplain from Stanford organize a six day seminar with Renee Girard. The scapegoat philosopher Guy Til had attacked the Bush administration then for not being cruel enough to Muslims, and had gone after the ACLU for their unhinged support of civil liberties at the expense of security. He had encouraged the creation of a new system, which he built as a replacement for the UN. He was like, instead of the UN, we should have an international consortium of public and private intelligence companies all working together to quote forge the decisive path to a truly global packs Americana. Right, this American piece that intelligence agencies can bring us if we give them enough money and power to murder people with drones. It's so why yeah, and Igor at this point, it's just a fancy way of what I call making a crazy board, right, that thing you see in like movies and TV, you know, True Detective where you've got like all the pictures connected by bits of string. Right, IGOR is a way of doing that on the computer right where you're plugging it. And it also is pulling from you can have it pull from. Oh, I know that we're looking for a guy who drives a who lives in the state and drives a blue car, and as a DUI, I want you to pull up from like all of these records. You have access to everyone who fits that, right, and we can add them to the crazy board, you know.
Speaker 2: And it was like, look, it's like starting at nine to eleven especially, there was like the fantasy, the uber fantasy of all these spook and spook adjacent types and all tech types that wanted to make money off of them, was that you know, you could have sort of like you know, the equivalent of maybe what we call an AI today, right that like could basically predict a terrorists we're going to strike before they were going to strike, you know, they were going to call you know, they were going to stop the next nine to eleven before the guys even you know, had really hatched the plan. And so there have been a bunch of programs that started and failed, you know, before then. And you know, there were some that were in existence and law enforcement, but they were clunky. There were you know, there were government software. So they did they look shitty, and they you know, and and and they didn't work so well. And then and they didn't have real Silicon Valley talent, like yeah, these guys did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think it could be a little hrd for people to visualize what Igor did, what this software does, this software becomes Palenteer does. So I'm going to quote from an article in Bloomberg by Peter Waldman, Lizette Chapman, and Jordan Robertson. Here, the software Clones combs through disparate data sources, financial documents, airline reservations, cell phone records, social media postings, and searches for connections that human analysts might miss. It then presents the linkages and colorful, easy to interpret graphics that look like spiderwebs. So, based on this technology, Peter founds Palenteer that same year, two thousand and four, and Palaeer is the name of the infamous seeing stones in the Lord of the Rings, which are you know, the most famously the one is owned by the evil wizards sorrowmon. Right, So if you're naming your company that exists to provide this like seeing stone to the highest bidder palateer, that's explicitly evil. Right. This isn't like a case where like the good guys have their own seeing stones. It's just the bad guys. It's a bad thing to have. It connects you inevitably to Sauron. Like anyway, very fun. I love fiction, now, Peter, one of the things that interesting about fucking Pallenteer is that, like with most of his companies, Peter has an interest in this, but he also has one of his close friends actually running shit, being the day to day guy organizing everything, and Peter's friend who helps him run. Palenteer is famously always described as his most liberal friend, a guy named Alex Karp, who Bloomberg identifies as a self described neo Marxist. Now, I don't know about Alex, you know, like, what the fuck do you mean about as the guys starting the capitalist spy firm? How can you consider yourself a neo Marxist? But also some Marxists or boot liquors. So maybe that's the kind of guy that Alex Karp is.
Speaker 2: Look, there's plenty of people that you know or yeah, you know whatever.
Speaker 1: The communists and spy agencies, right, yeah, yeah, Or.
Speaker 2: What I was going to say is, you know whatever the far left equivalent of a limousine liberal is. Those people are definitely out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fucking CIA socialist or something like that. I guess, yeah, there you oh, there you go. So getting off the ground is slow going at first for Pallunteer, for this is a hard thing. It's a really hard industry to break into, right because intel agencies are first and foremost government agencies, and if you know anything about the government, getting a government agency to adopt a new software tool is a brutal thing to do, right. It is very hard to convince them to make moves like that. It doesn't matter what kind of agency it is. This is always an uphill struggle. So in order to aid Pallenteer in kind of getting this buy in, they needed to really start to take off. Peter brought in some of the most ghoulish neocons he could find to apply pressure in DC, and this included friend of the Pod John Poindexter, who oh JP had worked for Ronald Reagan until he was convicted of lying to Congress about Iran contra. He then got kind of quote unquote exonerated and gets hired by Dick Cheney to craft the Total Infraation Awareness Program. This was a Bush era intelligence mission with a seemingly kind of reasonable goal. Right, We're going to collect all of the data we can on everything happening, food prices, YadA, YadA, YadA, and these different areas that we have military interests in, and we're going to have algorithms comb that data to spot patterns that might be indicative of terrorist groups operating beneath the surface. Right. It's one of those things that sounds reasonable on its face. If you look at how the War on Terror went, none of this ever works out quite as way well as they think it does. Right, But the smart guys in the room are all like, obviously, this is how we win the war on Terror back then, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I mean that was the whole ship. That was the whole thing for these guys, yep was you know it was going to be uh you know, what's the Tom Cruise movie? Uh?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, we're gonna know about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. And they were going to you know, put money to the or or they're gonna you know, feed the information your goals and they're going to feed you a red ball. That was the whole thing there. And yeah, volunteer got every single last one of the you know, members of this church of this like you know, weird Spye church to advocate for them. The other thing was like you couldn't walk into a train in d C without there.
Speaker 1: Being a oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And and like every guy that you know and hated Muslims and love Star Wars was promoting what.
Speaker 1: A brand they have, So they bring out John Poindex. Now it's important here to note that EGOR, which is what palent Heer is selling at this point, didn't gather or create new information of its own. Right, This is not a Big Brother system. This is a an algorithm that works off of the extant Big Brother system, right, organizing all of the info that the existing surveillance operations can put at your disposal. Right, it's data mining, you know. Now, One early concern is that analysts using EGOR would use the vast array of catalog data at their disposal to stalk and harass their ex girlfriends, which, if you know how cops work, is a thing that happens constantly. Anytime you've got a database that like a certain chunk of employees have access to, some of them are going to use it to stock their girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This is a known issue here. One of the ways in which they sell themselves to a lot of these intel agencies is Alex KRP promises, We're going to make it impossible for cops to stock their ex girlfriends because we're going to log every search request made into the system in a way that will allow you to audit them. Right. So, I mean they're selling point. It's like we're going to actually provide accountability in the spook process. Right. Chaef Get describes this as a key part of the company's pitch, but he also writes one of Palenteer's former engineers were called meetings during which government clients would suggest trying to use the database to look up an ex girlfriend immediately after hearing the whole privacy spiel. Palenteer employees would never object to these requests, this person said. Instead, they would remind clients that searches were logged and then allow them to look up whoever they want it, no matter how flimsy the pretext. Yeah, that's how that always works. Ah, every time.
Speaker 2: You don't need a predictive algorithm to predict that one, do you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, you shared out, you shared that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Get you give people a computer spot device and they are going to stock their girlfriends ex girlfriends. Yeah. Now, thanks to their famous friends and infinite cash reserves, Palaentteer managed to get contracts with the CIA and the NYPD, but actual adoption on a wide scale wouldn't happen without corporate purchases because no one in intelligence trusted a product that only the government used. Peter tried to force the government's hand here by selling other hedge funds, like selling Igor to other finance companies, right, and he marketed it as Palenteer Finance. So we've got this software that the government's interested in using. It is the spy software, but you can use it to predict which kind of investments are going to work out best. Right by gathering all of this data and using it to predict the future of finance. Now, this is a massive failure as an actual finance product because it doesn't work very well. People don't really make a lot of money off of Palenteer finance advising their trades, but it works out as a business decision because they're able to get a couple of different finance companies to buy into it, and then they can go back to the government and say, hey, look, this company and that company already using it to make trades. Obviously, DC should be using this to fight terrorism, right, And the government's like, oh, well, some bank bought it, so I guess we should as well, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's yeah, and there's they're I mean, looking government there's always like, you know, they're constantly being like, oh, we're falling behind. You know, the private sector really knows even though.
Speaker 1: It works, they wouldn't make a big fuck up.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. Yeah, yeah, if only we could run government more effectively like a business. Yeah, And I mean that, I mean it's totally how it worked. It's totally how it worked. Our adversaries can use these tools freely. Why shouldn't we.
Speaker 1: Why shouldn't we? And obviously as soon as the public sector, as soon as actually like the CIA and the FBI and the NYPD start putting money into Palenteer, then even though Palenteer finance had kind of not done great. A lot of banks and finance agencies start to be like, oh, I guess well, we have to get involved in the government's buying this stuff. So we've got to buy it. We've got to get and so in two thousand and nine, JP Morgan CEO Jamie Diamond future future subject of the Pole, gets purchases like makes a contract with Palenteer. Now almost the instant they and they're doing this as like a security measure. We want to we want we have like a division in our company that's looking for evidence based on like the communications our employees have internally that we might have an employee who's breaking the law. Right, that's part of compliance. Right, we want to be there's a degree to which we're legally obligated to spy on our employees making investment decisions to make sure nobody's doing anything criminal. Right. Sure, So that's why they get this software. The instant they get it, they're head of security who's like using the Palenteer software, uses it to spy on the entire c suite for no real reason, right, Like he loses his mind with power and starts stalking all of the people running the company. This guy's name was Peter Kovicia, and he was a former secret serviceman who ran again a group in the company that was taped with using algorithms to monitor employees. And I'm going to quote again from Bloomberg here. Aided by as many as one hundred and twenty forward deployed engineers from the data mining company Palateer Technologies, Kavicia's group vacuumed up emails and browser histories, GPS locations from company issued smartphones, printer and download activity, and transcripts of digitally recorded phone conversations. Pellenteer software aggregated, searched, sorted, and analyzed these records, surfacing keywords and patterns of behavior that Kavichia's team had flagged for potential abuse of corporate secrets. Pellenteer's algorithm, for example, alerted the Insider Threat team when an employee started badging into work lated and usual, a sign of potential disgruntlement that would trigger further scrutiny and possible physical surveillance after hours by bank security personnel. So that's nuts, but that's also what he's supposed to be doing. But right after, right as soon as they get access to this, Kavicia goes rogue and I'm going to continue with that quote. Former JP Morgan colleagues described the environment as Wall Street meets Apocalypse now with Kovichia as Colonel kurtz ensconced upriver in his office suite eight floors above the breast of the bank's security team. People in the department were shocked that no one from the bank or Palenteers said any real limits. They darkly joked that Kovichia was listening to their calls, reading their emails, watching them come and go. Some planted fake information in their communications to see if Kavichia would mention it at meetings, which he did. It all ended when a bank's when the bank's senior executives learned that they too were being watched, and what began as a promising marriage of masters of big data and global finance descended into a spying scandal. Nice, very funny, extremely funny. Oh my god, no, no, no, and just like the most predictable thing that could have happened, right, this is what happens. Every time you give these guys this toy. Kavichia gets fired. But the promise of pallenty remain undimmed, even though there is tremendous debate app to the present day as to whether or not much of what they do works. This is less the case now that they're doing like we'll talk about this some in the last episode, like when it comes to providing targeting solutions based on data. I mean, there's the jury is still out on how well that's working in like Ukraine, But certainly in this period there's a big debate as any of the shit really work. Right, Pallenteer's going to take credit for the bin Laden assassination, very unlikely they had anything to do with it, but they do kind of. They take like oblique credit for it, and the software is swiftly adopted by police stations and cities like New York, Chicago and La Palateer software was often used allegedly to single out innocent individuals because the connections in their lives look suspicious to the algorithm. And here's Bloomberg again. The platform is supplemented with what sociologist Sarah Brain calls the secondary surveillance network, the web of who is related to, who friends with or sleeping with whom. One woman in the system for example, who wasn't suspected of committing any crime was identified as having multiple boyfriends within the same network of associates, says Brain, who spent two and a half years embedded with the LAPD while we searching her dissertation on big data policing at Princeton University and who's now an associate professor at the University of Texas at Austin. Anybody who logs into the system can see all these intimate ties, she says, to widen the scope of possible connections, she says, the LAPD has also explored purchasing private data, including social media for closure and toll road information, camera feeds from hospitals, parking lots and universities, and delivery information from Papa John's International and Pizza Hut LLC. Now this is used. Yeah, no I no, I do think that the government should have access to our Papa John's records, but mainly to make sure like, hey man, you've ordered fourteen extra large pizzas this month? Okay, do you like a hug? Can we should send a guy by your house to give you a hug?
Speaker 2: The proper order of Papa John's orders is zero zero Domino's orders is zero.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pizza hut Man, Come on.
Speaker 2: Noiza, a proper number of orders is zero.
Speaker 1: No. I like a good stuff crust. I like it good stuff crust. Oh yeah, I love a big pizza hut pizza. You know what?
Speaker 3: You know what's good though, is those those Shack Papa John's commercials to.
Speaker 2: Get me everything.
Speaker 1: Wow, No, you can't get me. You can't get me into a Papa John. You know what they don't get me to do?
Speaker 3: Still eat Papa John's.
Speaker 1: No, No, I would eat shack before I eat a Papa John's. Wow, he's gotta have marbling, you know. Yeah. I've always endorsed cannibalism and very pro cannabally.
Speaker 3: It's one of those freaks that said they wanted to eat Moodang.
Speaker 1: I don't know who that is, Sophie. Well, but speaking of eating people, let's talk about the tragic case of Manuel Rios. He doesn't get eaten, I hope not. H Manuel is a guy who grew up in East la and had a lot of friends who joined a local gang east Side eighteen. In twenty sixteen, he was seated in a parked car with a friend who'd been jumped into the gang. When police rolled up, his friend ran, but Rios, who had not been breaking any laws, didn't run. He was like, why why the fuck would I run? Like my buddy's in a gang, Like, of course he's going to flee. I'm not doing anything wrong. But because you know, cops be how they are, he gets added to the LAPD's gang database right and Pallenteers software because of how many other gang dudes that he's just kind of socially knows, because of where he lives, he gets identified as a high priority target and he starts getting stopped constantly by the cops. Quote the police on autopilot with Palenteer are driving Rios towards his gang friends, not away from them. Worries Maria Saba, a neighbor and community organizer who helped him get off meth. When whole communities like East La are algorithmically scraped for pre crime suspects, data is destiny, says Saba. These are systemic processes, and when people are constantly harassed in a gang context, it pushes them to join the internalized being told they're bad, and that's kind of the you know, one of the we will talk a lot more about Pollentteer, even in part four. But that's like, one of the really dark things about this is that it's masquerading as like this genius predictive, but all it's really doing is like, oh, you live in a poor neighborhood, a lot of your friends grow up to be in gangs. Cops should probably fuck with you constantly, you know, fuck with this guy constantly, right, And that's all it is. It's stopping frisks that you threw an algorithm over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or it almost reminds me of like, you know how like in the shitty day, shitty early days of like a map quest and Google Maps, where it like you'd get some drivers that would just follow the directions no matter how unhinged.
Speaker 1: A river yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like guys, use your.
Speaker 1: Eyes, homie, what's up, what's up? And you know this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And instead it'd be like they just follow. They blame the algorithm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, if it's just going to cost you an extra ten bucks on an uber, that's one thing. But when it costs you know, some poor kid getting harassed over and over again, that's something totally different. And that mortally happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it sure did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: In twenty eleven, Peter did an interview with Bloomberg. By this point, civil libertarians, which had been previously kind of Peter's constituency, had started blowing the horn over Pallanteer. Peter felt a need to make the case to his fellow libertarians on the need to embrace being spied on. He argued that data mining was less harmful than the quote crazy abuses entraconian policies the Bush administration had pushed after nine to eleven, And I would desperately love to hear which of those policies didn't you agree with, Peter, because it seems like you think they didn't go far enough, right, But he's like, look, if we want to avoid a police state, obviously you have to let me, Peter Tiel, build a surveillance state. That's all that can stop us from having an evil police state. Right, what a libertarian. That's why I'm selling this shit to the CIA and to spy on us. Keeps liberty libertate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I hadn't thought of this before, but I remember around this time libertarians in my life are self professed libertarians in my life. Yeah, from like really caring about this stuff to throwing up their hands and saying what privacy is did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing you can do. It's the nine to eleven effect. It's so much because a big part of this is like you have this kind of same thing that happens where you've got all these guys who in the early two thousand's kind of the early part of the Bush era the late nineties had been like atheist activists who were like super anti the religious right, and then after nine to eleven they all get really racist against Muslims, and it pushes them towards conservatives and it's like, oh, guy, so you guys didn't have any principles ever, right, Okay, I get it, I get it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so and on the data side, it's like, oh, yeah, we were really for civil liberties, but now that privacy is dead, Yeah, you might as well have the Lotian Yeah yeah, yeah, what's the difference. Just let it happen, or if there's someone's going to spy on you, let it.
Speaker 1: Be Peter Teal. Yeah, here's one of us at least yep, speaking of Peter Till Noah, you got anything to plug?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have my new I don't know I have some I tried to come up with the lame chok there on the front. No I have nothing a plug. But you can find me at Noah Shackman. That's n O A H S H A C H T M A N yeah at most social platforms.
Speaker 1: Well check out Noah and you know figure out now. I'm not gonna tell people to do anything illegal.
Speaker 2: Crazy board, Yeah, make it crazy.
Speaker 1: Go make a crazy board. Go make a crazy board as a center.
Speaker 4: May also someone suggests instead touch grass and peta dog.
Speaker 1: And touch grass, peta dog, make a crazy board on your wall. Stop hanging out with your friends. Cut off all contact with your family. Many of them live alone in a dark room. Just try to be more like Matthew McConaughey and True Detective Right is much like matt thank your daughter for dying and sparing you the sin of being a father. Do all that good good Matthew McConaughey and True Detective stuff. Have fun with it, but don't have fun with you. Do not eat, do not eat anything but amphetamines. Cigarettes, just just them up. Make us make a cigarette shake every morning. Okay.
Speaker 4: Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards