Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama, girl drama, girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl shared for the right teams drama Queens, girl, girl Fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama, Queens.
Speaker 3: Kate.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited that we have you because the last.
Speaker 5: Time we spoke with you, it was in the middle of the strike and he could not talk about anything that was show related.
Speaker 6: That's right, God, that's right. That's so crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, No, it's so fun. It was so fun to what a blast from the past. Y'all like watching you know, they were like watch episode six fifteen, and I was like, my gosh, this is crazy, and I'm like I'm my Apple TV like One Tree Hill, you know. And my husband was stoked because we weren't together, you know, when I was working on the show for the most part, so he was all about it. He was like he for the commentary, like it was super fun. So it's so great, Thank you guys for having me back.
Speaker 5: Well SONA we're gonna give you the double episode treatment. Tell her how this works, Sophia.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so because we didn't get to talk about the show. We did our twenty three questions with you, but nothing about what we were. What were we even saying? We were we calling you like Shmia. We kept doing that kind of thing, being like on that show.
Speaker 5: About hypothetically if you'd ever been on TV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was amazing. There was a code.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, But after that, so many fans wrote in and we're like, Okay, the strike's over. Here's all of our Q and A for Kate. So we have fan Q and A for you.
Speaker 6: That sounds amazing. I love it. That's perfect.
Speaker 5: More Kate in our life. We need double trouble today.
Speaker 8: More Kate.
Speaker 4: I'm all about it.
Speaker 6: Guys. It's so good to see you. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Well, tell us a little bit about your background as a kid, Like, were you one of these kids that did theater? Did you ever want to on TV? What led you down this dark, twisted road?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yes, I was an art kid.
Speaker 7: I was definitely an artsy kid. All I ever wanted to do was paint and draw and sing and put on plays with my cousins and my sister and I did.
Speaker 6: A bit of theater. I did like a couple of like.
Speaker 7: Kind of random acting classes, a couple of little community theater stuff, but nothing like my trajectory was music. Like my freshman year of high school, I'm fourteen years old, I started writing songs and it was like that was like I found my thing, you know, and I started playing shows and that was really my dream in life was to sign a record deal and sing my songs for people on stage. And so I never really was like that has to involve being on TV. But it was kind of an accidental detour that my career ended up taking when I auditioned for the show. Because and I think that's why I wasn't nervous when I auditioned, because.
Speaker 6: I was like, I'm not going to get this. I'm just like, yeah, I was like screwing around. I was coming through LA.
Speaker 7: I didn't even live out in La yet on tour, and I and my manager was like, Hey, if you get this, you might get to play one song on this show. And I was like sweet, like that'd because I had already signed a deal, you know, it was an indie deal I signed.
Speaker 6: You know this indie deal.
Speaker 7: So we were like grassroots in it in my parents' Toyota Siena van, like you know, like doing the thing.
Speaker 6: But we needed we needed some looks, you know, and so I was like, oh.
Speaker 7: Cool, but yeah, I it ended up being such a cool part of my story because it's storytelling, right, and I've always thought of myself as a storyteller. That's all I want to do is tell stories that help people feel like they're not the only ones who have been through something. That's what writing songs is for me. And that's also what what acting ended up becoming. So it wasn't something I necessarily planned on, but now I can't imagine not ever, you know, not not doing it.
Speaker 8: Wow. So do you feel like the trajectory you had as Mia is what actually made you want to stick with acting once the show was done? You know?
Speaker 7: I think so, I think I never I don't think I ever would have on my own. And as you guys know, like acting is not something you just like dabble in and dip your tone and you're.
Speaker 4: Like maybe like you have to be like it's you get.
Speaker 7: Told to gfy so often with auditioning, like you gotta be down to clown, like you gotta really want to do it.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard down to clown in a minute.
Speaker 3: Now, you know.
Speaker 4: We are old ladies.
Speaker 6: Seriously down the clown bogo down to clown.
Speaker 7: But for real, like it's so brutal, you know, like it's so intense, and so I don't know that I ever would have because I was so focused on the music trajectory and that is its own thing. That's also very very cutthroat and so so yeah, it was kind of like a really cool accident that I ended up doing it, But I think I ended up falling in love with it, you know, in real time, and also kind of learning how to do it in real time, if I'm being honest, like I had, I think I had enough background with theater and stuff that I got the part and they were like, oh, you're good at this, you know.
Speaker 6: But I was very green, and like you guys.
Speaker 5: Were, we all were green when we started.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, but it was definitely like I was aware, I think when I got there, like okay, I got a fast track figuring out what I'm doing here, you know, and it was it was a definitely like a really interesting challenge.
Speaker 6: But a really fun one, and I was.
Speaker 7: Lucky to work with people who were patient and helped to tugboat me when I needed that.
Speaker 6: At the beginning, was really really.
Speaker 5: Didn't need anything.
Speaker 4: Honestly, We've worked with a lot of people.
Speaker 5: On this show, and like you didn't need help, baby, Like you were fine.
Speaker 8: You were doing well.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 7: It was really just something that I was always grateful for because we all know there was like some there's some wild stuff going on, like it was, the dynamic was weird, things were crazy, But I really was grateful that, like the end of the day, everybody was such a pro and such a friend about helping me get comfortable in this new role. And so the imposter syndrome, you know that anybody that all of us feel, I think when we start something new that's like a little unfamiliar. That didn't last as long as it might have if I wasn't with such like wonderful co stars and amazing you know.
Speaker 6: You guys were great.
Speaker 7: So it was at the cast of the crew, everybody was like fabulous, you know.
Speaker 5: Will you you talk about the cutthroat nature of the music music industry, and I wasn't in the music industry, but I was, you know, right next to it with MTV. Yeah, and yeah, neck deep in it at times. And we're also seeing like topical news stories now about the music industry and people being exposed for being predatory. And so when people ask me about it, they're like, did you ever have to deal with any bullshit at MTV? And I'm like, not not that, no, not really, Like it was so square compared to One Tree Hill, like you're doing like the teen drama, which is the cheesy thing, and that's what everybody expects to be really safe, and the music industry is supposed to be you know, they're gonna chew you up, kid, And so for you, you also had to walk walk that line between both industries.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, I'm with you. I definitely. I mean, everything seems like sort of the little types, like everything seems like puppy dogs and rainbows compared to some of the predatory vibes that we were all fielding and TV show, right. But you know, I think the music industry it's interesting because I I think that there's a there was a particular type of kind of like the patriarchy abides for sure in the music business. And I feel like, but it was a different It was almost like very transparent, you.
Speaker 6: Know, whereas on our show, I felt like.
Speaker 7: It was disguised as mentorship or like I'm some garbage friendship. Weird yeah, and then you were like, wait a second, but yeah, in the music business, I was always the only girl on the tour bus, so it was me and a bunch of dudes. And very quickly it was like, I mean, you know, this is like ten fifteen years ago. Things are not what they are now. People were saying all kinds of crazy stuff. No one's worried out, like am I going to get called out? You know? But it was very it was very like people were very upfront with it. And I do feel like so I had to learn really quickly how to kind of you know, volley back something, you know, I had to.
Speaker 6: I had to learn to stand up for myself.
Speaker 7: But but it was different because it was almost just like I felt comfortable there because I because it was familiar, you know, it was a familiar kind of BS versus you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it manifests in so many different ways.
Speaker 7: So I feel like the music industry it was less difficult because it was less sort of I don't know, it was just more transparent.
Speaker 6: It was more just like, of course, you guys are all clowns.
Speaker 4: Nobody was pretending.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, one's pretending. They were all like, I'm a creep, and you're like, okay.
Speaker 5: You're thanks for telling me cool.
Speaker 6: I will not share my dressing room with you. Yeah.
Speaker 8: One of the things I think that's also very interesting about what you're saying when a dynamic is really overt, Yeah, that you should have to, but you very quickly, when you're the one woman in a room like that, you become one of the boys and you're like, oh, I'll just be equally ridiculous, and you guys will view me as like one of the dudes. Really fast, you'll get over the fact that I'm the one girl in this room, and I'll be like everybody's kid's sister. And I think as you talk about it, the thing that comes up for me is that that dynamic is harder when people are less overtly like jokey and gross, Because when someone is saying they want to be your mentor, or they want to help you learn how to do your work, or you know, make sure they're always available to answer all to support you, you're like what's happening here? Yeah, and why are you calling at these hours? And is it because you're nice or is it because you're gross? Because like, unfortunately the guy over there making the dick joke I know, is just gross like and so yeah, the the kind of machinations of what we dealing with, and particularly when you arrived because Creditor.
Speaker 4: Had six years a tornado learn how.
Speaker 8: To be worse that that I think was really tough. And you Yeah, A, I'm so glad you had all of us, and B I'm so glad you knew you had all of us. And see even just observing you, you handled yourself with so much grace.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: That means a lot, it does It was it was so wild, like I also think, yeah, to your point, like when I think about it in the music space, I was the boss, this is my tour. I'm Kate Vogel, I am the one paying you to play guitar in my band.
Speaker 8: Such a different power dynamic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're gonna go try and sleep with a bunch of my fans and be a creep to my cute fans who came here, you know, and you're gonna be gross and like cheat on your wife and like, you know whatever, Like I saw it all. It was like so brutal, but whatever, You're just like they were just shameless, you know.
Speaker 6: And so you were like, okay, whatever do you. I'm not here to judge. I don't know. Maybe your wife is dude doing her own thing.
Speaker 5: I've being sex with the lawn guy, you know what.
Speaker 6: To each their own.
Speaker 4: Absolutely she did. I hope she did. I sure do hope she did.
Speaker 6: But you know, it was like, I'm paying you at the end of the day, and I can tell you to get lost.
Speaker 7: If I want to on our show. It was like, okay, this is the first time. That's the first time I've ever really like worked for somebody else, which is a huge privilege to say. But I started. I started, you know, I made my first buck sing in a coffee house at fifteen years old. So I was like, whoa, this is a different dynamic and this person. And I'm also like, I'm from Ohio. I'm a very trusting person. I just think everybody's nice. And so I'm like, oh, you know what, Wow, how cool that you want to like help me navigate this career and mentor me And like, oh, and you're such a hang. You're a friend, you know, and then you're like, uh oh, like maybe this is.
Speaker 6: Maybe this is it's a little weird, you know, but this isn't what I thought it was. Yeah, totally, and that that part's wild.
Speaker 5: How does that affect your songwriting? Because if you're writing songs at fourteen years old, pre any of this like crazy experience, Yeah, and then these songs are the ones that are getting you signed, they're taking you out on tour. These are the songs that you're singing. But then you have to deliver more music as you're living this unfolding horror show. How do you go from your like fourteen year old sweet girl songs to men are awful?
Speaker 4: It's you know that.
Speaker 7: I think that's and I'm sure you guys can relate your artists, right, Your writers like your inspiration, your muse, the things that inspire you to make your art change and evolve over time.
Speaker 6: They have to write otherwise you're going to get stuck.
Speaker 7: And I think for me, when I was fourteen, a boy ignoring me who I thought was like obsessed with me, but it turns out like I did not understand that he's just not that into situation.
Speaker 4: And he was not he was he was just being cool.
Speaker 6: He was later, but you know it's fine. He it was like that was the biggest deal in the world to me, right, and that was like that was.
Speaker 7: The soul crushing thing at the time. So the songs that came from that situation were genuinely I was pouring my heart, you know, into the into the song, into the recording. And then I think you get older and like shit hits the fan a little and life is like, guess what, There's some more complication things that happen than just this guy, you know, being a fourteen year old. You know, like whatever bonehead kit.
Speaker 5: Now he's forty, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: Now it's your boss, and it's like you know what I mean and what you.
Speaker 6: Take that and you use that and say this is a curveball.
Speaker 4: Didn't expect this one.
Speaker 7: But it helps you, you know, it helped you use your art to process that and to you know, create something that hopefully we'll speak to somebody else for a second who's been through something.
Speaker 6: And even if it's not something similar.
Speaker 7: You know, people people sing my songs back to me at my shows for their own reasons, and I don't ever want to tell them what those reasons should be, like you can get whatever, like you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 7: I think there's Dave Grohl like always talks about that and I love that, like you write it from your own stuff, you know, And I mean there are songs that like during that time, like, yeah, it came from depths I didn't know I had because I was in unprecedented situations.
Speaker 6: But but that's what's really beautiful about you know.
Speaker 7: I don't think all art has to come from a tortured place, but but sometimes it does. And sometimes that that's you know, the best thing you can do with that situation.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that's such an important reminder and it's something that has been really special to me to be able to do, like with all of us goals, especially doing this show. Yeah, the fact that we get to talk about the reality is like life is a mix of all the ups and downs and even our experience like, yeah, we had incredible times, We had so much joy, We had so much fun, and we had these times and moments and weeks and experiences that we shouldn't have had to deal with. And sure, I think we have this thing and I don't know, maybe it's because we all grew up with fairy tales and cartoons where we're like, oh, when something's bad, it's evil, and when something's good, it's sunshine and roses. And it's like, well, actually life is super complicated, and I don't know, it was such a it was like a fun moment that made me also a little emotional, like really just enjoying catching up on these episodes and really watching your storyline knowing you were coming to hang with us today, and I was like, God, we were so lucky, and God we dealt with a bunch of we shouldn't have to. And it it's the both, and you know, yep.
Speaker 6: The both, And that's exactly what I was just going to say.
Speaker 7: It's so true, like the both, and but so much of life is, you know, and that's that's kind of what you learn to navigate and and it really it helps to have a community and people who are like, oh, yeah, I've been there too, Whether it's people who genuinely were right there next to me like you guys, you know, or it's people who will live that in their own way. And that's what that's a human part of it, where we're all like, wow, dude, this is wild.
Speaker 5: You know, Apparently there's a lot of tyrants out there. I didn't realize how many tyrants are just out there roaming around making people's life. Hell.
Speaker 8: Well, you just start to realize that, like a lot of people really do get drunk on power and they they're just not that original, So they all kind of wind up committing a lot of the same sins, and you're like, huh, maybe really, if the women were in charge, things would be cooler and safer.
Speaker 7: Genuinely, Yeah, it's so unoriginal. That's what I'm always like, Man, Wow, but I come up with something new.
Speaker 9: Kicks Kicks.
Speaker 8: I actually do have a question about the songwriting, because that's not my spiritual gift, and so I just don't understand how you do it. And Hillary, you kind of started to touch on this, but not only Kate. Were you in that season of your life where so much of your first record was made up of all the years you'd lived until then, but you were starting on the show, you were starting to be an actor, you were going on tours, and everybody always talks about how stressful it is for artists to make their sophomore album. Did being on a show add to that fear of like, oh, I'm just going through new things and I have to somehow write about them, And now I have to figure out how to write music about all of this in like the few off hours I have from a TV show or was being in such a new world that was so all consuming, like good for you in terms of material and creativity, Like did it help or did it hurt with that sort of stress?
Speaker 6: Hmmm, that's such a good question. I think it's another both.
Speaker 7: And you know, I think that I definitely can relate to the pressure that comes with, you know, not just a sophomore album, but just in general. I think once you get what you want, you know, and once you get the part, once you get signed to the record deal, you know, the thing that's been your kind of north star all of a sudden. And I've always been someone who's put a ton of pressure on myself for you know, really trivial things, but this was all of a sudden, like, oh my god, now I have to like make music that makes all these people happy. And it's not just about processing my you know struggle with this guy or this you know, this boyfriend from high school anymore. Now it's about making my record LI happy too, and the radio lady wants to hit song and so all of that pressure is there. But then, yeah, then I.
Speaker 6: Was so busy. I mean, I like lived, you know.
Speaker 7: That's why I I literally lived in like the Hilton Hotel.
Speaker 6: Or whatever it is, Wilmington, the River, Oh, the river seats. What a time, guys, what a time?
Speaker 4: Like I lived there.
Speaker 7: And when I wasn't living there, I was living on a tour bus or you know, in hotel rooms like playing shows, and it was like constant.
Speaker 6: And I do think that part.
Speaker 7: Of that busyness was good because and there was necessity, right, It was like, I have this amazing opportunity to play my music on this show, which has, you know a lot of complexities and stuff, but it has there's a lot of great things about the community and the people on this show as well, and the fans are so wonderful and so okay, Like it's a project and this is this is what I have to do, you know, I have to to write this. And I didn't have any shortage of inspiration because I left college. I went to a year of college just to be a normal person.
Speaker 4: Sophia, and I did that too. We did what we did two years of college. We were like three, yeah, we're dropouts to baby oops. Oh honey, best thing I ever did.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hillary knows this, but Kate, you don't. I actually sat down right before I went in and did my final test for our show with my collegiate advisor, and I was like, I don't know, any It's my senior year in college. I'm never going to get this back. Maybe I shouldn't do this, Maybe I should just give myself one more year. And my sweet advisor, who I'd never heard swear, looked at me and when are you out of your fucking mind that? I was like, oh, okay, maybe is this Like this is like a big deal. And she was like, this is a very big deal. Go pursue your dreams.
Speaker 6: What a badass.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 8: A badass, I know. What a dummy. I was like, they're the only going to be like one more winter formal? What well?
Speaker 4: But you know, but I love that about you.
Speaker 10: I felt the same way, though, like I I had this desire to just like make friends and go to a formal with my college boyfriend and like be a kid, you know, be just just.
Speaker 4: Discover stuff and it was.
Speaker 7: It was like one of those things where I had and it was a hard decision for me too, Like I agonized agonized over the decision, you know, yeah, because it was like it was sort of it's like taking your arm off one monkey bar and not no, Like I'm like, I don't know if.
Speaker 4: This show, you know, I thought.
Speaker 7: My manager was like, you're only going to be on like one episode and you're going to play a song. But it was also like I had already. I had made my first album while I was still a full time student in Ohio.
Speaker 6: I just kept flying back. It was crazy.
Speaker 7: So I was like, it's time, this is you know, my dream. I got to do it, but it was hard. I I broke off my first serious relationship, you know, I I left my friends, and I you know, I think that that that and then three months later I got the job on the show. So it was like so much new stuff, so much material for that second album was coming at me left and right, and so it was there and it was organic.
Speaker 6: But so I do think it.
Speaker 7: Helped to have just like if you want to play these songs on a future episode of this show that you're on, you got to finish the songs and also you know, and also it was hard because it was a lot at once and everything everywhere all at once, emotions, you know, great, bad, weird, scary, screepy, you know everything, Arah.
Speaker 6: But sometimes you make you know, you make great art.
Speaker 7: From that, and so it was, uh, yeah, it was cool to be able to sort of have an opportunity to figure out how to mix all of that on a deadline.
Speaker 6: I love a deadline.
Speaker 5: Well, how much did you talk to your family about what was going on? Because I just I mean, on our text thread, we've all been watching Quiet on set, you know, and those are young kids, and so we were just right on the other side of it, you know, like you were, what nineteen, you turned twenty, yeah, while you were there, Like Sophie and I were twenty when we started.
Speaker 4: You just write on the other side of that legal line.
Speaker 5: And yeah, the checking in with the parents kind of stops because you're like, well, I don't want my parents to know I was out to one, you know, I don't want my parents to know that I went to my boyfriend's apartment.
Speaker 4: Things like that.
Speaker 5: And so for your parents who have heard you writing these lyrics as like a fourteen year old and can probably easily decipher them. You know, were they aware of what you were going through in this brand new situation?
Speaker 4: Such a good question.
Speaker 6: They they were, overall, they were.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, I had a lot of friends with whom I could like really discuss some of the more you know, the sordid details of text messages I was receiving that my parents weren't necessarily going to be an audience for.
Speaker 6: But they, my parents are like two of my best friends still.
Speaker 7: They are amazing people who supported me so much in my desire to do something in a crazy unknown business, you know, coming from no one in my family ever was in the entertainment business.
Speaker 6: No one knew what we were getting into.
Speaker 7: They were so steadfast and supportive and not hovering.
Speaker 6: But they really I give them.
Speaker 7: Just so much credit for like being there for me and hearing me and checking in but not being helicopter parents about it, letting me be an adult. Like my mom and I went through a lot of that stuff of like sleeping at my boyfriend's house, drinking like all that during my freshman year of college. Like that was when it was like we had fights about like you know, why you were you were drunk when you came home for the weekend. You never drank in high school. It's a really good kid in high school. Like I was a total nerd.
Speaker 6: So my mom was like, what is happening, Like, Kate came home drunk, Kate has a boyfriend, she's sleeping.
Speaker 5: Even imagine a young drunk Kate vocal.
Speaker 4: You were so responsible all the time.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure all of you saw a young drunk Kate Vogel Street like multiple times.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I was probably drunk or older together.
Speaker 6: We were all together. Yeah, it's fine. Yeah, it was great though.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, because okay, so you had a very mini season of rebellion. But then yeah, you didn't have to hide anything after that.
Speaker 4: I suppose. No.
Speaker 7: It was very much like I mean, it's one thing that you know, we don't have kids, but I am so like if I ever did you know, if I ever was a parent, or I was an aunt or I'm a godmother, you know, like I'm so admire the way my parents really like we had that. And then they really were like, Okay, I want to be in your life. I want to be your friend, but I want to be your you know, I want to be your family first of all. But like they really met me where I was and they were like, Okay, Kate's going through this stuff. That's crazy and that probably isn't what we expected. But like they just did such a great job of showing up for me, letting me sort of process it and handle it like an adult, but also being there for support if I needed it, which I really think that was a big reason why you know it it didn't. I mean, it affected me very much. I mean, as you guys know, but I think it really helped to help me navigate it, you know, to make.
Speaker 8: It easier, to make it more manageable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Antwine and I have talked about him trying to intervene in situations with you. I think he was always worried about all of us, Like there was.
Speaker 6: He's such a sweet, sweet man, you know, and.
Speaker 5: Twine is a flirt Antwine can like get out there on the dance floor with the best of them and be like, you know, a good time. But he took protecting the girls of our show very very seriously and was you know, for as much as those girls can be.
Speaker 4: Like we were worried about, he was worried about you.
Speaker 5: I think you're the same age as like one of his kids.
Speaker 8: That's what I was gonna say. You know, it's like you got to remember that even when we first started on the show, Antoine had kids, Like yeah, he's he's definitely the coolest, most fun dad any of us knows. But like, make no mistake, he also showed up as a dad and he was like those are my girls. And I love I really love and cherish that he did that and still does that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he is, he's so wonderful.
Speaker 7: He's just yeah, it's really it's true that I think it had to be a wild experience for somebody like him and a lot of the guys, because you know, there's so much of.
Speaker 6: Like how do you?
Speaker 4: What are you supposed to do?
Speaker 6: You know, how are you?
Speaker 7: And I've I've talked to you know, friends of all of ours, you know, guys from.
Speaker 6: The show where they're like none almost knew how to handle this either, you know.
Speaker 7: And and I love that he'll I remember you telling me that Antoine. You and Antoine had like a great chat about many great chats and stuff. But he's he's such a treasure, Like it's it's really encouraging to know, you know, even in retrospect, just like that people were looking out, you know, and our friends were looking out.
Speaker 5: And even when you don't even notice they're looking out. That's a nice feeling, is to learn about it later and be like, oh god, I knew that felt weird. I'm so glad you picked up on it. But then you didn't make it like a big deal that.
Speaker 6: You were just sort of like you didn't make it a thing.
Speaker 5: I'll sit on this couch until two thirty in the morning until everything's cool, yeah, and then I will go home.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's truly, yeah, it is.
Speaker 7: It's wild stuff that like just that they were privy to that, because it can be really easy not to be and you know, or somebody says, hey, I got this, it's fine, you know, and it would be really it would have been really easy for them to be like, oh, you know.
Speaker 6: It's fine, I'm I'm I'll just go home, you know.
Speaker 4: But it is, it's.
Speaker 7: Really that is so like it's it's encouraging to hear that, and it's really like it's just like a remarkable thing in like years later to be like, oh, wow, that's cool that you were looking out you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know what I think is really interesting about that when you think about Antoine, when you think about you know, all of our all of our guys, like you think about Grubs, you think about Tyler, both of whom you've worked with, Like, yeah, the length and the lastingness you think of so many of these friendships, you know, like the way we just are able to kind of dive back in and in the ways that we I think had to learn about how to navigate all of this realizing that they were trying to do the same that they were trying to figure out, like what to do with all of you know, the energy and also how to like stick around? Do you in your music like having worked with so many of the musical boys from the show now and like even your new project with Grubs, do you kind of feel like Kid's sister Slash? Like are you also the boss because you are such a responsible woman that you actually get these boys to like show up at the studio on time?
Speaker 4: Like what is that?
Speaker 8: What is the evolution of like the good things that we've held on too from these relationships? How how does that influence things for you? Now? Having continued to work with so many of our people, not only as an actor but as a musician.
Speaker 6: It's such a good question.
Speaker 8: I think I just actually stole it. It's sort of a Q and A. I sort of realized I stole this question from this girl, Meg, So sorry, Meg, I stole yours. But then I added to it and this will be a segue and it's a yes and a both, and we're going to get into the fan Q and A. You know they're all listening, like you guys, Jesus ask our questions please. They sent a lot.
Speaker 4: No, that's so awesome.
Speaker 7: I like, yeah, I it has been such a gift to like, creative collaboration is such a wonderful thing when it works right, like as you guys know, working on this this.
Speaker 6: Podcast together, like it's just it's just something that and you don't always get the.
Speaker 7: You don't always get the magic formula of being good friends with somebody and also creatively collaborating well with them, Like I have tried to write songs with people who are good friends of mine who I'm just like, this is not working. It's like a relationship where you're like you made out once and you're like, m mmm, this is nice. There's sparks flying, you know. But it's been such a gift to collaborate with people who like Grubs is one of and Tyler as well, but like Grubs with this new band. We have a new band called Your Future Ghost. For anyone who who hasn't who hasn't heard about it, Yeah, it's been, Oh my god, it's been beyond fun. And it's like he is one of the only people on the planet, one of very few people on the planet who can relate like literally and understand the extremely specific nuances of the experiences I've had in my life that brought me here to where I am now. You are to those people as well, you know. But like making music with somebody who's also a musician, who is one of us, is wildly powerful. Like it is so like creatively, there's such a just an intangible magic that has to be there. And you don't have to have been friends for years and have worked together on a show that has some crazy layered experiences with creditors.
Speaker 4: You don't have to have that.
Speaker 6: But sometimes that shared experience, you know, allows you to open yourself up in a way and be vulnerable creatively and in a human sense.
Speaker 7: That you wouldn't be able to otherwise necessarily on your own even or you know, and that's the thing, like, well.
Speaker 4: It's validating when you have someone else that says it.
Speaker 8: And you can be your whole self exactly.
Speaker 6: You can be your whole self.
Speaker 7: You can make jokes that you know, like there's certain there's just certain things that like it's like speaking your own like my little sister and I have this with our own stuff where you you speak a language that other people are like, why is this funny? You know? I feel like I have that very much with Grubs in this band creatively and Tyler and I you know as well, Like I've loved touring with him so much over the years. We've written songs together and collaborated, Like there's just a special magic that I think exists. Sometimes you just get really lucky and that that's definitely that's definitely been there for us. It's been really really fun and and it was so cool to like tell people about this band after having it for years and keeping it a secret on your show.
Speaker 6: That was like really special, like the One Tree Hill fam.
Speaker 5: What's your favorite song though that you two have written together? Because I didn't know grubs. He came in after I left.
Speaker 6: That's right. Oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 4: I only met him at a convention. I was like, this guy seems nice.
Speaker 8: Who's that's right?
Speaker 6: Oh, you guys are like so cut from the same cloth.
Speaker 7: He yeah, he is like beyond cool and just you know, wildly talented, but also just such like such a hang you know, somebody you immediately just feel like comfortable with.
Speaker 6: Who's funny. And I mean you're like that, like you guys are very much you know.
Speaker 4: No, he feels easy to be around.
Speaker 6: He is, Yeah, he is. He's very easy to be around.
Speaker 7: And he's very like he feels things deeply and he's he's he's just such a good friend, you know. He really shows up for people and and we man. The favorite song is we have a single coming out on May seventeenth.
Speaker 4: Oh heard it here first.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's it's called the Only One, And it's like it's like our little like it's kind of like a love song. Like the band is very fun, it's very dirty indie rock, but this is like our love song moment kind of so it's very appropriate. I feel like one Tree Hill fans will will love the whole album. But this song is definitely one that I feel like people are gonna.
Speaker 6: Be excited about.
Speaker 7: So that drops in a little over a month, and I think both I think Grubs and I are both gonna be in Wilmington that weekend, so it because it's gonna be a love fans.
Speaker 4: Oh you're going, and that's gonna be fun. One Tree Hill fans love love.
Speaker 7: They love love. We all love love. Yeah, So that one right now is my favorite. But then I'm sure, I think we're gonna drop the album in June, so then I'm sure i'll have it. I'll be onto a new one by then. But that's what's fun about, you know, being a creative is I think that you're kinda your your current inspiration is always changing, and then your favorite thing that you created is always changing, you know, Yeah, and that kind of is what keeps it fresh or something.
Speaker 6: I don't know, but it's, uh, it's been.
Speaker 7: It's been really cool, like so much fun to to be making something with somebody who who knows all the ins and outs of all all the craziest stuff, you know, in my life.
Speaker 6: That's that's really a gift.
Speaker 5: Did you guys work together on the show I'm sorry that I don't know.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 7: Yes, I totally just realized that he For some reason, I was thinking he came in in the middle of season six, but it was seven, and so yeah, we did. He was another recording artist I think on Red Bedroom records, and he was a bartender.
Speaker 6: I should are the trick well, I mean, you know it is. It was?
Speaker 7: It was. I mean, man, I had to brush up. I had to be like, Okay, did you do your Homework's going on?
Speaker 4: Now that we could talk about it. I did my homework.
Speaker 7: Yes, I did, because I was like, I can't come in here like not knowing you know, what's going on in these other storylines.
Speaker 6: You know, I can't just be someone who knew what was going on with Mia.
Speaker 5: Listen, your storyline was cuter than I love the trajectory of Mia, and when we talk about the episode, we'll get into the chase of it all. But Ellie has a question and I want to know this too. So where we are right now now? You've spoken about perspectives changing as we've gotten older, So like you are an older, wiser woman in the writer's room right now. Sure, what storyline do you want for MEA like, what would you have liked to see me?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 6: I love that question? I think, you know, I would have loved to see I loved that.
Speaker 7: Mia ended up, you know, taking on more of a leadership role within the record label, you know, after Peyton left and stuff like that was really cool. I think I would have liked to see like more of that of her developing other artists, you know, and kind of like sharing the love that way. And then I also think it would have been cool to see, you know, for all the female characters like sort of having these story arcs of having a family life and having a professional life and being able to be a full person doing both, which is such a novel idea for us.
Speaker 5: Lady who knew if you're pregnant in tree Hill you're gonna die.
Speaker 4: It's like you're.
Speaker 7: Gonna get driven off a bridge, You're gonna get burth that prom you're gonna Yeah, it's some tough's going on.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, indeed.
Speaker 8: Okay, So I love this idea, especially of getting to see you like really developing, producing doing more of like the A and R stuff while building a life.
Speaker 7: Do you.
Speaker 8: Think that life from this is Taylor's question should have been with Chase. Do you think Chase and Mia should have been endgame?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 8: I have to be honest, guys, I do you guys are so cute together.
Speaker 7: We're I mean, we're Steve and I are friends, like his fiance is like I love them. They're like they're like two of our good friends. And we've been at conventions together where fans have been like.
Speaker 6: Stephen, who would you pick? And he always picks me up. So I'm like, you know what, I think I think that was the endgame. I think it was, you know, I mean they had a.
Speaker 7: Good like bartender in the bar, but not a musician. I don't think Mia should have ended, you know, because Tyler and I when we would tour together that people would always be like, do you guys think Chris Keller and Mia would have ever? And I was like, no, I think they would have like had a love hate professional relationship and then end up like liking each other a lot as friends and having a mutual creative respect and doing a tour together. You know. But I'm like, I don't think Mia wants to be with another musician romantically, like in the.
Speaker 4: Same knows better, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm like they're great, but it's too much. I can't. I got to be the one who's you know, who's the expert.
Speaker 4: I had to.
Speaker 6: Ask, I'm making the playlist.
Speaker 5: The first I'm making the playlist the first Mia chase like makeout scene.
Speaker 4: I had to ask. I was like, wait, did they kiss in real life? Like it just the chemistry felt so real, Oh my god.
Speaker 6: That's cute. Oh like did we date in real life?
Speaker 5: Because of all the dudes on our sets, Like I loved Colletti. I felt like he was a really safe place to be and so I would call him and be like, can you meet me at this bar?
Speaker 4: Just please be here?
Speaker 5: I need that chemistry was cuter than.
Speaker 4: Loved it all.
Speaker 6: Thanks hell, I'll thank you. Friends. Yeah, and he but he you know what's so cool.
Speaker 7: It's like my husband loves it. Like he watched the episode with me last night. Chluddie and I are like making out for half of it. You know. It's like that's that's what a secure partner who also like you know, he has to go, like he produces stuff in other countries for like three weeks to a time with like a bunch of like influencers, and like I think when you are both secure and why you're together. You celebrate each other's work, and he recognizes that as like, yeah.
Speaker 6: That's yeah, when you're an actor, like that's that's the work.
Speaker 7: And just because some people who have good chemistry as actors end up dating in real life doesn't mean everybody does. You know, that's a very simplified the like, do you guys feel like you've ever had You've ever been in relationships where people have been like super bummed that you had to kiss a co star like as part of your work.
Speaker 5: I had a couple engagements before One Tree Hill Young Kate, and they didn't Oh great, Not everybody's into that lifestyle. H Fortunately, I'm with a man now who like has had to roll around with bond girls in movies.
Speaker 3: Exactly, So I had to buckle up. I had to be like, what's good for the goose, it's good for the candle exactly. Yeah, No, Jeff doesn't care. But also he's a little suss about like all the Christmas.
Speaker 5: Movies because he's like, he's like, you started producing those Christmas movies and just casting all of your guy friends as the romantic.
Speaker 4: Leader, and he's like, are you trying to kiss out your buddies. I was like, no, it's safer to kiss a friend. It's a safe place.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I've definitely had some people not like what we do, sure, you know, which is also to your point. I think it's more about security and whatever else someone else feels. What I think is really interesting though, is like learning how to kind of widen your definition of chemistry. Like I only have I'm only friends with people I have great chemistry with.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: All our friendships are really charismatic friendship.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like my friendships are loving. You guys are amazing, Like I mean, my god. You know, Hillary and I were out together in the city the other night. People were losing their friend minds. We were just like hugging and dancing in a bar, like we all have great chemistry, and I think I think if you can realize that, like that's the perk of wonderful friendship and not think that chemistry has to mean something that isn't platonic. Especially as actors, we can use actor like our job is to create that. And so one of the things I actually am the most grateful for is like what you're talking about that you have with Steven, that I certainly developed with him in season four of the show, like.
Speaker 4: Safe chemistry, safe chemistry.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's like the best gift of a friendship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you know, if someone else.
Speaker 8: Gets your joke before you're done making it, you're finishing each other's sentences. You sure should make the scenes more interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And you're.
Speaker 8: Like, you're not trying to hit on me. I'm not trying to hit on you either, And it's so many.
Speaker 7: I'm a girlfriend, I have a boyfriend, we're friends, blah, like it's not a thing.
Speaker 6: It's not a thing. But I had a boyfriend before I met my husband for most of the time I was on the show, a long distance relationship, who like would give me hell about nice scenes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that's just because he was threatened and insecure.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And then it was like I also, it's like I was making music videos where I had to kiss another guy and I was like, this is the and we broke up over it because I was just like, you're a clown if you can't handle this, and I get it, it's not ideal, but like this is I don't have time for this, you know.
Speaker 8: But it's also your job.
Speaker 6: It's your job. And that was kind of the thing that I love. My husband got that right away.
Speaker 7: He's like, yeah, you guys are actors, like this is what this is your They're literally paying you to make this look like these two people are in love. And it's like, oh, oh, someone imagine that, Like, yeah, you get it.
Speaker 5: If you're a good enough actor, you can look in love with anybody. If you're a.
Speaker 8: Honey, tell me about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could love a tennis ball. I love.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 4: Gotta spell it.
Speaker 8: You just got us out by the way.
Speaker 4: Half the time we do.
Speaker 8: Half the time they're putting a piece of neon tape on the mat box and that's who you're talking to in the scene because they got to get the camera so close to your face. I guess I'm curious about this, and I'm looking at our sheet here, and so are so many of the fans because there are multiple questions. Shawna wants to know what your favorite song was you did on the show, Brooklyn wants to know what your favorite performance you did was on the show. I mean, they keep coming, so like, I'm just going to kind of combo platter a bunch of people's questions because there is again as like coworker slash fan viewer. There's something so cool about getting to watch you perform music, cause like that is a whole other kind of chemistry, Like you get to be a literal rock star, not just like us, like the circus performers, you know, pretending we love a tennis ball. So, like, when you look back on the show, do you have a favorite performance or or is it something that like wasn't a song.
Speaker 6: That's such a good question.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I think like they were all really cool in their own right, just because it was really incredibly fun to be able to play these Like it was so cool that MIA's songs were my songs, you know, because I remember thinking this could easily have been a situation where, you know, the the the producers say, Okay, we love that you're playing this musician, but we want different songs.
Speaker 5: We don't want them to be carred to sing something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, or sing something about tree Hill, or like write a song with the name Chase in it or something, you know, like that was equal Oh my god, no, I thank god they didn't make me do that, because it would have been like.
Speaker 4: But could you could you with the name Chase in it?
Speaker 6: Just first, I can write a song about anything, right.
Speaker 7: It's like you're saying I can kiss a tennis ball, I can write.
Speaker 6: A song about anything and selling. But yeah, but I was glad I didn't have to because I.
Speaker 7: Could really convey, like, oh man, I wrote these songs about real stuff.
Speaker 6: In my life. I loved.
Speaker 7: I really loved playing the song at I think it was.
Speaker 6: At Peyton and Lucas's like wedding reception.
Speaker 7: The song was my song called Sweet silver Lining that's like about finding the silver lining while life is crazy, you know, which was.
Speaker 4: Something I was trying to do that about.
Speaker 6: Oh I was trying to do now and then.
Speaker 4: But wait, I never put that subtext together.
Speaker 6: Kate, that's crazy, dude.
Speaker 4: There's a lot, you know.
Speaker 7: It's funny, like I feel like in sort of pop music after like I feel like Taylor Swift really kind of normalized this type of which.
Speaker 6: Is great, this female songwriting.
Speaker 7: That's very much like I'm gonna put Drew's name in the song, and I was like, well, I can't do that because I'm gonna get fired if I write a mean song and put somebody's name in it.
Speaker 6: But you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: So I had to sort of find this this way of sort of saying things without saying them, which was good for me as an artist and a lyricist and stuff.
Speaker 8: But you had to do a little more metaphor.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you got to find a little bit of a you know, you gotta say things a certain way. And that was one that I felt like it was. It's been cool to see people say that that's you know, kind of help them when they're in because there's just you know, that's the thing like we were talking about.
Speaker 9: You know, you're after your first breakup with like a kid who went to your family's church when you're fourteen, you learn like life, life has some more serious going on, and so there's always depending on doesn't matter the degree of of you.
Speaker 7: Know, the problem. It can be something really smaller, it can be something really really hard to weather and or something in between, and you kind of trying to learn to find the silver lining in that is something I'm kind of always trying to. It's a continual thing. You know, you never arrive at being like oh yeah, now I got it. But yeah, that was one of my favorites. But it's hard to pick. It was all it was all so much fun.
Speaker 5: Dude, all I want to do is talk about secret messages in your songs right now, Like, was that the sneaky like you come? Yeah, what did you plant in the show that no one else knew about?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you're turning red? There's something you're thinking of something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's so much you guys, we could have a whole series on I mean, I mean, I will say that, like some of the songs that were the most pointed, that were the most that were the least riddled with metaphors came out long after the show, when it beat came clear that it was safe to like to say such things. But yeah, I mean there was definitely some stuff like that. You know, you find ways to sneak it in there, and and I think, like, man if I or you take something and then you flip it to be about something else, right, Like I still do this where like I adore my husband, but if he pisses me off, I will write like a lyric that's you know, and then I'll come back to it later and I'll finish the song and he'll be.
Speaker 6: Like, did you write that about me? This is really dark?
Speaker 7: And I'm like, I didn't write about you you were just the inspiration when you said that thing, and I got really pissed, you know what I mean, And so I would do that sometimes whether there would be something where I was like, Okay, well I can't finish this song down this trajectory, or it's gonna be too obvious that this is about something that's.
Speaker 6: Gonna get me fired.
Speaker 7: But but let me take that spin it into yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: All I love a secret message. I mean, I me too. When you put out the Shoot Your Arrow song when we were in the thick of all the meat too. I don't know how long you had been plotting that. I don't know how long it had been inside of you, but it it was so meaningful to us.
Speaker 8: It was like an anthem.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was like we had something to hang our hats on and be like see, like it happened to all of us, you know, and someone is able to articulate it in a way that I can't. It was just so nice that you could do that. That's not a skill that I have.
Speaker 8: Yes, you you put you gave like life to feelings and experiences and also made it rock and roll with a guitar, and we were just like yeah, and we all needed it, and there's a text thread lit up. Oh it really did? That was that was a nice week.
Speaker 4: It was well what I sort of love.
Speaker 8: I mean obviously about the song and all the things we've been able to talk about today. I also love that the other four questions that we had selected from the vigilion we got for you, you just like answered in the answers to these things, except one that I do want to end on a high note because this might have been movie magic, but it also could have just been that we all did go to bars together a lot. One of our fans wants to know if you're actually that good at pool in real life or was that all set up?
Speaker 6: Guys?
Speaker 7: Oh man, here comes, Okay, here it comes. No, I am not that good at pool in real life.
Speaker 8: It's because you're so good at music though, don't forget that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I want to be like the cool girl who's really good at bar games like I want to someday, you know, maybe in my forties, maybe in my fifties.
Speaker 6: Who knows, it'll be an era for me.
Speaker 7: It's not right now, and it's sure as hell was not in my twenties and when I was nineteen or whatever. That was like I think only my third or fourth episodic. It was like one of my very first episodes. And I remember being like, hey, I don't know to what degree I'm gonna need to be awesome at Pool for you guys to make it look like I'm awesome at Pool, but I'm not awesome at Pool, so like and so I like.
Speaker 6: Worked, like I went to set and worked on it. I probably went to Blue Post and worked on it, but found out quickly that's not one of those things.
Speaker 7: It's like playing guitar, Like you can't get good at it in a weekend, Like you gotta like, you gotta know what you're doing. So this is so embarrassing, but also the magic of the movies.
Speaker 4: They had a double.
Speaker 6: So there was a double who was a Pool shark.
Speaker 7: And she wore a black wig and the same felt it as me.
Speaker 6: And they got a double.
Speaker 7: And I remember being like, this is awesome and also humiliating a bit.
Speaker 6: No got doubles.
Speaker 4: I don't swim. I was always like, put somebody else out.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do this totally.
Speaker 7: But pools one of those things where it's like just sort of you know, it's like just accessible enough where you're like, come.
Speaker 8: On, no, I can't do it.
Speaker 7: But like it's they were I guess they were like, we want you to be really good and they were like, so far, we don't think you're able to fake being amazing at pool.
Speaker 4: You know what, that's just a male fantasy. They all want that, like hot.
Speaker 8: Chick, that hot girl in the leather jacket who sinks the balls.
Speaker 5: And you know what you did at nineteen you said this, I'm not playing with that big stick in front of you.
Speaker 4: Guys, get a body double.
Speaker 5: I like this about you, Kate.
Speaker 6: I already play guitar, Like what more do you want?
Speaker 4: You know right, I'm already cool and I drink.
Speaker 7: Jack Daniels like I'm sorry, we can't all we can't do it all Like we can't, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: So but they were funny about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, everybody gave me and it was like they were like, we do this all the time for other stuff, but but it was it's just hilarious to have a not for like Mia joined the basketball.
Speaker 6: Team and then you're like, okay, obviously there's gonna be a double me.
Speaker 7: It was great at Pool and they were like, we're gonna need to bring in some bag.
Speaker 4: Oh man, well you were also delivering like a huge monologue.
Speaker 5: You had eight million lines as you walked around the pool table. It was impossible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a lot. It was a lot. It was baptism by fire for sure. Thanks guys, thanks all.
Speaker 8: I'm really hearing though, is that perhaps the next time we're all in Wilmington together we should look up your Pool Shark double and have her give us a lesson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can hit the blue post.
Speaker 6: Yeah she was great, she was super nice.
Speaker 8: Let's go out and learn a skill.
Speaker 7: I would love that so much, would love it more than anything. Yes, I'm all about it. Learning new stuff is like, oh it's the best. It's so scary, but it's the best. Like Pool, why not let redeem myself ten years, fifteen years later.
Speaker 8: Here we go, baby, every decade we'll learn a new scale. Guys, to all of our fans at home, thank you for submitting questions. I am sorry that we just mostly asked our own, but we've been waiting to ask Kate questions about the show for a really long time, and we're gonna be back and actually finally dig into an episode with our miss Mia Catalano. We're gonna talk six fifteen with Kate Bocal later.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 8: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot H.
Speaker 5: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: See you next time.
Speaker 1: We all about that high school drama.
Speaker 4: Girl, Drama Girl, all about the.
Speaker 2: High school queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic Girl Shared for the Right Teams, Drama.
Speaker 6: Queens, Dramase My Girl Up Girl.
Speaker 4: Fashion with your tough girl.
Speaker 1: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens Drama Queens