Speaker 1: I miss the green. For example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In arid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg bride Egg.
Speaker 1: Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. Today, I'm joined by web dot Com tour player Ed Lore. Ed played college golf at Oklahoma State, where he was an All American and Walker cupper, and since turning pro, has spent time on almost every tour in the world.
Speaker 4: Ed, welcome on.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Andy. It's good to be with you this morning.
Speaker 2: And yes, you gave me an app description of pretty much played about anywhere you could ever come up with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this year your your full time on the web. You've gotten off to a great start. You had a T second in Panama and T twentieth in Columbia. What would you say is the difference playing abroad versus playing on home turf in the United States.
Speaker 1: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: I would say the biggest deal, Well, logistics is the biggest problem. You know, just kind of trying to figure out how to get there, where to stay, how to get to the golf course. You know, they take very good care of us while we're down there, but you know, just kind of figuring out your bearings. And luckily both those places I've been to enough to where for me it's just kind of a normal week, Like I know where to stay, I know where to eat, and know how to get around. So you know, maybe I got a little bit of an advantge when we leave the country. And you know, for a god who's played in twenty nine countries, it's not really that big of a deal for me.
Speaker 3: So of all the twenty nine countries that you've played in, what spend your kind of like favorite one that you'd like to maybe spend time outside of golfing at, And what spend your least favorite place.
Speaker 2: I would say my favorite just from a country place, I think is probably Spain. I've been there a few times for European Tours school and I just love just the history and the architecture and kind of the beauty of it. But you know, I'm there for golf. So I did spend a couple of days in Barcelona a couple of years ago, but I haven't got to spend a whole lot of time outside of playing golf, But I think that's an incredible place.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: My least favorite would be India. I just never I never jibed whether the people were super nice, but I always I always seem to get sick there, so I never really jibed with India.
Speaker 3: That's uh yeah, it's I mean it's crazy how you know twenty nine countries and just how the European Tour has turned into a world tour. I know you've tried a number of times, you had a t second in a year a tour start.
Speaker 4: Is there a big.
Speaker 3: Difference between playing in Europe versus playing on like the American Tour, like the PGA Tour.
Speaker 2: I think that just the depth of players. You know, certain the European Tour is a great tour.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I would never say it's not. You know, the deal with that tour is how often do you get their top players playing there? I mean a majority of them play over here now, so you've only got you know a handful of events. You know, maybe one or two in the desert and then you know their BMW Championship and one or two other where their top flight players are all playing. So you know, it gives a lot of opportunity for other players to you know, kind of make an impact. Whereas you know, week to week on the PGA tours, you know, murderers row people playing.
Speaker 3: That's a we saw, you know, Brooks Kopka make his way to the PGA Tour through the European Tour. His younger brothers doing that now. But then you've got like Sean Crocker as another guy that's played really well. The first couple starts this year over there seems to be a new path that a lot of young players are going on. If you, you know, you turned pro in two thousand and if you redid that and started over today, would you would that be something that you considered doing.
Speaker 2: You know, I inadvertently kind of almost try to do that by playing. You know, I played Asian Tour mainly just because I kept failing at Q school.
Speaker 1: But you know I had some chances to play in Europe.
Speaker 2: You know, I would have had my card one year if I would have paid my affiliatecy. But that's a whole nother story about paying the five end and uh, but I think It's a great idea for young guys, for anybody really. Heck, I tried it last year, so you know, there's only so many jobs in golf, so I would encourage anybody to really go do it.
Speaker 3: So kind of going into people that might not be as familiar with you in your background. How did you get into golf as a kid.
Speaker 1: Through my dad?
Speaker 2: My dad was a really good player, played a couple of years at University of Colorado and then played some Space Coast Tour and the in Florida in the late sixties early seventies, so and then he just stayed connected to golf. He got into the pharmacy business, but he always you know, played golf and was a plus handicap till his mid forties. So kind of started out as a family thing. My younger brother is a really good player, played at SMU and then tried to play for a little bit, so we just kind of started out as that. And then obviously I kind of had an affinity for it. And then you know, my parents were well enough off and my dad had a good plan for us, you know, to try to figure out how to you know, for us to learn to compete and play a bunch of tournaments and just kind of took off from there.
Speaker 3: So did you you grew up in Dallas? Where'd you grow up playing down there?
Speaker 2: I'm actually from the suburbs of living in a town called rock Wall, so just east of town. But I grew up playing a place called the Shorest Country Club, just a nice little, you know, residential club out here east of town.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 2: You know, I've got a couple of memberships around town now different places, Lakewood country Club and then actually the Shores now it's called the rock Hole Golf and Athletic Club. So still you know, good to play kind of around town a lot.
Speaker 3: So watching the young kids today with like the day, how how do you think, like, you know, development from you know, junior golf to college golf to pro golf has changed from you know, when you were doing it in the late nineties to you know, how kids are doing it now.
Speaker 2: It's it's obviously it's so different now. You know when I when I first when I first kind of came out, you know, it was kind of your your roadmap was, you know, go to Q school. Hopefully you make it, but if you don't, you just kind of work your way up, keep trying work your way up some more. Now it's like the guys are so good so young, you know, like they just come out and they just know they're they're going to succeed right off the bat. And so it's I don't know if that's a you know, kind of a mentality they learned from Tiger whereas I was competing against Tiger.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: These kids are so good so young. Obviously, the everything's gotten better that the instruction's gotten better, the technology has gotten better, the workouts have gotten better. Nutrition, So it's you know, it's just a way different playing field now.
Speaker 3: Mm hm, it's uh. I mean I see it in amateur stuff. I play with like fourteen year olds who are hitting the ball like two eighty and I think back to like like I if I got it out there like two twenty two forty when I was fourteen, I was like, wow, I pumped that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean all these guys now, you know, all these twenty five year olds that I play with on the web tour, and it's just you know, I mean I still hit it. You know, I'm above average. You know, I'm probably a two ninety five to three hundred yard hitter. So I still hit it plenty far. But I mean, you just hit these kids, and this is like, I mean, you can obviously tell when the ball comes off the face. Good lords, that thing ever gonna come down?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So in your years with pro golf, like, how is your perception of you know, getting prepared or you know, just in general of golf, how's it changed through your you know, triumphs and then also the low point.
Speaker 1: I mean I still love it.
Speaker 2: I obviously still loved it, or else I wouldn't be doing it, you would.
Speaker 1: Say a ball beater.
Speaker 2: You know, I love to play more than I love to practice. I always look forward to Thursdays, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. You know, we're more of a drag now, you know, the the travel and the practice rounds and all the other stuff. But you know, once Thursday comes along, I'm still you know, I'm still as eager as I've ever been, and you know, hopefully I will continue to be that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that'd be the that'd be a bad sign if you're not like ready to go.
Speaker 4: You know, that's when when.
Speaker 2: It'd be that's about that's when you know it's time to do and That's what you hear a lot of people say when you don't get those butterflies, you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's kind of time to do something else.
Speaker 2: But you know, I still get them. I still get nervous, you know, I still get anxious. But I think that just means that you really still love it.
Speaker 3: So you played on the nineteen ninety nine Walker Cup team, and you know Matt Coocher, Jonathan Byrd, you and you know, you guys are the only three that are left playing pro golf. Like, do you keep in touch with the guys that from that team still?
Speaker 1: Oh? Couple of them?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I see those guys. I saw Jay Bird, you know a few times. I guess last year when he was playing back down the web, you know, running the coacher every now and then and saylo, but let's see Hunter Hass I still see around town because he lives here. Other than that, let's see I used to run into David Gausp, you know, and so many doing some many tour stuff back when he was still trying to play a few years ago. Maybe a couple of Twitter interactions with Steve Scott as he's a high fluting head pro now up on the East coast somewhere. But other than that, not really that's about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of of the guys that were on that team, I mean, you guys did have like four you are three mid AM's on that team, and uh, but of the guys, who are you kind of most surprised didn't make it of like you know, the Hunter has the Gossaid or Steve, you.
Speaker 2: Know, probably David just just the way his career started, you know, winning the John Deere basically what one or two years into his pro career and then you know kind of that was the obviously the peak of it, and then just ten or twelve years of for him, you know, fighting it. But uh, you know, I think having done it so long, I know how hard it is. So nothing really surprises me either way, guys that do great or guys that don't, because it's such a fine line, and you know, there's so many variables to a successful career that you know, who knows how the ball is really going to bounce for anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean, the difference between a t eighth and a win can be just the smallest. You know, it could be a bounce off a car path or a sprinkler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, here maybe it's a you know, it's an eight foot put on Thursday morning. It keeps around going and all of a sudden you shoot, you know, three shots lower than you should have.
Speaker 1: It's it's and obviously that.
Speaker 2: Stuff's hard to tell over the course of a week when a guy gets in contention. But you know that really is kind of how close are Like you said, it's so, you know, ball hits a car path and kicks left and goes back in the fairway instead of kicking right and going out of bound. So it's you know, that's how close it is.
Speaker 3: What would you say is the biggest misconception from like, you know, just to say you meet somebody at a bar, to what your job is.
Speaker 2: Oh, how fun it is, How cool it is to be a pro golfer. I mean, it's while, it's while, it's partly correct, because yes, it is cool. We can play golfer a living. There's obviously so much there's so much more to it. There's a lot more downside than you know, the guys that you see on TV. You know, you're watching the top fifteen guys in the world every week try to win a million dollars versus you know, hundreds or thousands of us that are, you know, trying to figure.
Speaker 1: Out how to make money?
Speaker 2: Who were you know, those guys are only marginally better than the rest of us. But obviously that marginal difference is the difference between making you know, fifteen million a year and then barely being able to keep the lights on.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like a half a shot here and half shot there makes all the difference.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It's a ten foot there, you know, up and down here. So it's just way closer than you know most people realize.
Speaker 3: How has your kind of game changed over the years. Are you a different player now than when you were fresh out of college?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I would hope, so, you know, I was always really aggressive, probably took a lot more chances than I ever needed to. I think the last couple of year years really after after twenty fourteen and the last year out of my card and I really had just a horrible year and kind of took a new path and trying to rebuild my game. And now I tried to play a lot more. I don't know if i'd call a conservative, but a lot you know, a lot more percentage wise, and try to play a lot smarter because of not not that I figured it out, but just kind of over the years that I've always made a lot of birdies, but I've always made a lot of bogies, and that you know, the guys that just do well over a long period of time, it's not how many birdies they make, it's just that they kind of figure out how to limit their errors. So that's kind of what I've tried to start doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it tucked an agent once and they said that they always look for guys that make a lot of birdies because you can coach away bogies eventually, but you can't.
Speaker 4: I can't teach birdies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, and once you get on tour, it's such a different game than you know, even the Web Tour or certainly the Mini Tours is I mean, that's more of a birdie game. You know, when you're having to shoot sub twenty under, you know, versus the Big Tour, and you know, it's most most of the weeks it's you know, ten to fifteen under. That's a way different game than twenty four unders. So it's I think that's an adjustment. But it's also you know, more so because of the courses that you're playing.
Speaker 3: Do you think that, like something I've wondered for a long time, is the Web is such a different tour in the sense of scoring, like you just pointed out, Do you think that ends up resulting the best in the best tour players like Web success for like the.
Speaker 1: PGA Tour, not necessarily.
Speaker 2: No, I don't, and I wish, you know, and obviously the Web Tour knows that, and I think they try to find stronger golf courses. But you know, the fact is they have a lot of these long standing relationships with tournaments and you know, they've been there, like Boiser for instance, as I've always thought it's the best tournament on the schedule, but it's you know, one of the weakest golf courses because it's a you know, it's a driver, a hybrid and a one of your wedges every hole. So it's you know, they kind of fighting uphill battle with that. But I don't know how well it translates to all of a sudden you go to hitting six and seven irons. You know, I think your average second shot on tour is No. One seventy five range. I would guess on the Web Tour you know, the kid's probably in one hundred and forty range, So you know, that's a huge difference.
Speaker 3: It seems like to me just watching the scoring and not having seen a lot of the courses that the courses in like Central and Central America and Latin America are usually a little bit tougher and closer to like PGA two are scoring.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt. I mean, look at this year. You know what Langley won at seven under in Panama. You know, the Mahamas weren't that Batman, mostly because of the win. You know, last week Taylor shot really low, but other than that, you know, he was the only guy in double digits. You know, a lot of that's obviously with the conditions. You know, it tends to get windy those in those countries. You know, the greens were really small and firm, which I think a lot of us would like to see every week. But yeah, when you get here, I call it a lot of country club golf. You play a lot of nice country club courses. But obviously you put really good players on country club courses and what are they you know they're going to shoot twenty five unders.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: So if you were going to set up a golf course to to test modern day professional how how would you set it up in terms of it to get the best best competition.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's a tough one because you know, really using today's equipment, it's going to be so hard. But you know, I know you guys were way big in the golf court of course architecture. But you know, the things that give guys trouble, in my opinion, or are when you make them have to curve the ball off the tee. You know, obviously firm greens. You know, they do a great job of hiding pins already. I mean I remember up let's see a couple of the US Opens I played, and and uh, you know, the hardest holes weren't necessarily the longest ones. It was ones that maybe you had to curve a ball ten or twenty yards. So that seems to be the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: You know. They look at Riviera last week. I mean, I know they've.
Speaker 2: Stretched it out, but you we got a lot of dog legs where guys kind of have to move the ball, and you know it's hard with the balls and the clubs. Uh, you know, really to get a ball to curve. So in my opinion, that's the hardest. That's how you're going to create the hardest conditions.
Speaker 3: That's something I've wanted to do, like a post about It's like if you look back at like Tiger's most famous shots and like just the most famous shot, like the most memorable shots in golf for like, you know, in the early two thousands and nineties, we're all like recovery shots where you know, he curved a ball like you know, out of the rough and you know, and turned at thirty yards. And today, like the most famous shots are just like Dustin Johnson hitting like a driver that doesn't move an inch right down the middle of the caraway.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny, you say, because like when I tell people the biggest difference I've seen in golf is that, you know, when I used to watch off when I was a kid, and you know, you turn on the Buick Classic at Warwick Hills and some guy's nursing a one shot lead, and you know, he takes his per seven three wood and hits his you know, hits a squeeze fade off the last hole to try to get it in play. And now it's like you see a guy with a one shot lead, what does he do? He teases driver as high as he can and tries to hit it three point fifty. And so, you know, that's kind of the biggest thing that I've seen is that there's no fear. But and there's not there's a lot less creativity, And I think that's just because of a lot of.
Speaker 1: The you know, the equipment and the training. But you know, I do agree.
Speaker 2: And I mean if I if I counted off the top ten best shots I've probably ever hit in my life, you know, seven or eight of them are probably crazy shots that I've hit out of the woods, you know, because those are the ones you remember. I mean, you remember the you remember the fifty yards slice you hit with the three wood onto the green, and you know that's obviously way more memorable than just one three ten down the middle.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then with today, like if you put the ball on the rough with today's equipment, it's like so hard to move a ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, it's hard. Yeah, it's hard to move a ball, you know. Yeah, obviously from the fairway and much less put some grass interference in there, then you're really gonna have a hard time getting it to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's I've kind of a theory that like the golf swing has changed a little bit because of technology, would you, I mean, would you agree with that?
Speaker 1: No doubt it has.
Speaker 2: It's way less Uh well, I think it's way less uh depending on your hand action, which is probably good, but obviously that takes probably some of the creativity out and now guys are are just uh, you know, smashing it every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of think like I've like half written an article about this, but like the you know, there's so much success with the young twenty year olds now because they grew up with this golf swing and technology.
Speaker 2: So I agree, And I don't you know, they weren't taught, you know, when they grew up, they were they practiced with the track man. They practice, you know, basically hitting it as hard as they can, and the technology and everything they grew up with it doesn't really allow it to curve.
Speaker 1: So I agree.
Speaker 3: So with getting back to kind of your experience all over the world, you know, you hear a lot of tales of caddies and and in Central and Latin America and South America and.
Speaker 4: You know where what's been the worst.
Speaker 3: Caddy that you've had across the world.
Speaker 2: I had a guy in Uh. I had a guy in uh where was I Brazil a couple of years ago? During it and did I actually ended up getting rid of getting rid of him after the practice round. But unlike the fifteenth hole in the practice round, he cracked open a beer, so you know, that kind of told me that he probably wouldn't be real serious about what he was doing, so I had to go find another one. But uh, I think that's the only time I've really had to fire a guy before the round. But you know, you never know, I've had some, you know a lot of the best guddies. I had for these ladies when I was playing the Asian Tour just with the pool card and you know, he didn't speak a wacky English, but they did exactly what they were supposed to do.
Speaker 3: So speaking of you know, you you you made it really big when you were using the push card on the Adams Store.
Speaker 1: You know, and.
Speaker 3: Mutual friend Todd Mitchell is so anti pushcart. Do you do you think that the push card helps you on the golf course.
Speaker 2: Well, I will have to admit Andie that I was like mister anti pushcart as well. I actually I was playing a uh. I was playing an Adams in Saint Louis a.
Speaker 1: Couple of years ago, and I thought I was gonna die it was so hot.
Speaker 2: So I went to a Dick's Sporting good and bought a floor model pushcart. And now I don't know, I'm like now, I just think I'm so dumb for, you know, going so long without using one. But you know, it just kind of I'm one of those guys I played so much golf really just relying on myself. I mean, I just think yourself reliance. You know, there's a lot more when you have a pushcart, but you got nobody to blame but yourself. So but I love them now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on team pushcart too. I used to be a big carrier and I always would carry, but like now, I think it's so dumb. It's like you play the sport where you depend on your like shoulders a lot in the golf swing, Like why would you dumb?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, and I know these college tournaments where we used to carry thirty day and man, I mean obviously we were twenty then, but still I can't believe how much fresh dri I feel now after just choosing a little pusher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Todd Telman was complaining that you have to walk around a green the one time he used it, and I was like, let's.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Mitchell doesn't play any tournaments where he doesn't have a caddy anyway, so what does he really know.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Everybody's like, you should take a caddy. It's like, I'm not paying for a caddy. I I'm I'm a I'm an internet blogger exactly, So it's uh, yeah, the the push card is I think, and I think I've I've heard I think I think it might have been UNLV's coach says that they statistically proved that save like a shot or a half a shot around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think actually was Conrad ray Stanford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, anybody that is trying to play tournament golf and throwing a bag on their shoulders all the time, like you, there's there's no way you can't say that it helps you to have fresher body when you're playing.
Speaker 2: I agree, you just got to feel way better. But at the end of the day, there's no doubt.
Speaker 3: So you've got triplets. I imagine that that adds a little bit of challenge to the playing all over the world. When you when you had kids that when you found out it was triplets, was there a was there a moment where you said, oh shit.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, I mean there's not a day that goes by that I don't say oh shit.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I really played probably some of my best golf right if they were born, and you know, I think that's just kind of you know, they kind of added a real perspective to life of you know, how stupid golf is compared to you know, being a dad of three little kids. So you know, they obviously you'll offer that to me, but you know, there's definitely pressure. I mean, you know, I don't know if anybody told me how expensive kids were when I before I had them. A good lord man, you just can't you can't make enough money. It seems like, uh, you know, they're the apple of my eye. You know, they're kind of the reason I play, and I just you know, I love them to death.
Speaker 3: Really, I think perspective with golf is so important. I thought about trying to play for a little bit and then you start, like I started working and then all of a sudden, I'd go out and play, like they say a year after and like, I played so much better because I realized how insignificant little things in golf are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the first year that I got my tour card was the end of twenty eleven, and I was my my twelfth try through Q school, and you know, my kids were born in September, and you know, it obviously had something to do with it. I mean I brought I got to bring my let's see, yeah, I got to bring my daughter home. You know, they were kind of in the nick you and then special care nursery at the hospital. I mean, I brought my daughter home after the third round of second stays of Q school. So you know, if you think that doesn't make me more relaxed, and I'm like, well, this is pretty This is way more awesome than you know, trying to shoot sixty eight at Craig Ranch tomorrow. I mean, this is this is obviously way more important. So you know, there's no doubt in my mind that that that that had something to do with me, you know, finally getting through on my twelfth.
Speaker 4: Try, getting getting three right, off.
Speaker 3: The bat's got to be just like being thrown into like a being an NFL quarterback and seeing like a an eight man blitz.
Speaker 2: Well, you just, you know, I think at this point we're actually lucky that, uh, you know, we didn't have one beforehand, and we knew how hard one was. We just kind of did it with three. You know, all these people are like, I don't know how you did three. I'm like, well, that's all we knew, you know, But now it's now. I actually prefer it because at least my kids are all doing the same thing. Now I think about you know, I mean my parents had four kids and they were all kind of spaced two or three years apart. Or you know, all these friends I know that have the spaced apart of my man, you know, at least I get to sleep. I don't have a you know, an age six and you know, a one year old that still doesn't sleep. So I wouldn't obviously trade.
Speaker 1: It for the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that is true.
Speaker 3: You have all the same problems that every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: So you've seen the Q school process change. Did you prefer the you know, ability to get straight to the tour or do you think this current system is better.
Speaker 2: No, I would have preferred the old one, and I think every player pretty much would have just kind of gives you an opportunity to you know, I think there needs to be an opportunity to still get to the big show. Rather, you know, you're some hot shot kid that thinks he can go right to the tour, or some guy that maybe just barely missed his car, to give him a chance to get it back. You know, I don't I understand why they did it, you know, for the sponsorship of the web dot Com tour. So you know, obviously it comes down to money a lot of times, which a lot.
Speaker 1: Of the world does.
Speaker 2: So I get why they did it, but I don't necessarily think it's.
Speaker 1: A better deal. It's uh.
Speaker 4: I I feel like it.
Speaker 3: I like that the the web means more now, but I do I did like the idea of like everybody's got a shot to make it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you talk about trauma. I mean it was some of the best drama in the world, and you know, I unfortunately was was the like the last guy that really had a Q School meltdown at the end of uh, you know, twenty twelve to get back to the tour. Uh, you know, the year before I was one of the guys that got my card. So I've experienced obviously both sides of it. But I mean, I don't, I don't. I've never really felt pressure like I have a Q school. I mean, when you're obviously you know, quote unquote playing for your job, it's you know, it's a little different animal.
Speaker 3: What uh what what was your Q school?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, drama and then also the like the triumph, give give the listeners, both both sides of the coin.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, obviously at eleven I had some triumph because I got you know, I think I finished whatever T twentieth or something to get my car. And then you know, the next year I had my tour car. Now I ended up playing and probably almost as much on the Web Tour, and I had won on the Web Tour in Panama all of the year, so I had I had job security. But I went back to finals and I was playing really good. I think I started the last round in third or fourth place and I shot seventy seven, including you know, hitting it in the water on Alcatraz and blah blah blah, and ended up I think I shot seventy seven or seventy eight maybe and didn't get my card. So I was like the last guy that, you know, truly kind of melted down to missus card. But actually it was fine because the next year, you know, in thirteen, I had my best year.
Speaker 1: You know, really in pro golf.
Speaker 2: Finished I think fourth on the Web Tour, pretty much had my card locked up by March, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. And I had some you know, some innermotivation to kind of, you know, prove myself right. But it's, uh, it's I definitely have lived all parts of golf.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt from like a personal side, Like I the year before I qualified for the mid Am.
Speaker 4: Two years ago I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't play this year because of my wedding, But the year before I was like, I was two under on the seventeenth hole and I made I finished double double, and I played in Indianapolis and I had to drive. I drove home from there and it was like the worst drive of my life. You know, both both holes I've hit in the fairway. Then but then the next year, It's so funny how golf works, Like the next year I'm playing, and I'm just like, I wasn't really playing well. I was even par but I was just like kind of scraping around, you know, one of those rounds, and h I hit a wedge close on like the thirteenth hole, and then all of a sudden, everything clicked and I finished. I burdied that hole, but then I birdied three on my last four, and like, you just make it in and it's like, you know, it's not that hard, you know, but you always make it hard on yourself.
Speaker 1: It's just such a dumb game.
Speaker 2: And you know, I mean you just hear those stories all the time about the guy that was in such good position and fell apart, and the guy that was, you know, four off the cut line and birdie four of his last five and then.
Speaker 1: Shot sixty six sixty six and finished eighth.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just such a dumb game, and I don't know why we all try to figure it out.
Speaker 3: You've got a You're one of the rare pros that has a full time tracker, I mean behind the big cat, I mean, ed Lord tracker has got to be number two most followed tracker out there.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt. And then Ed Lord tracker is definitely way more entertaining. He's the most entertaining tracker on tour. You know, anything that's based more on your eating habits than your golf has got to be way more entertainment for the Twitter world.
Speaker 3: No doubt did the tracker come about.
Speaker 2: It's you know, I'll be honest with you. I've met the guy twice, just for a few minutes. I've had a ton of interactions with him on texting, social media. It's a left handed guy. I will not divulge his identity. But and a few years ago when I was on tour, he said, do you mind if I do this? And I said, no, man, knock it out. And I really don't. I really don't provide much information. He you know, he he somehow he finds it out or comes up with it on his own. So it's, uh, it's definitely. I mean, I love the loonies and it's you know, it definitely provides some.
Speaker 1: Good laughter and humor on the golf course for sure.
Speaker 3: So so you you know, the tracker gives us an insight. Look that you're a you're a big foodie. Where where's the if you where's the best food outside.
Speaker 4: The US that you've been to.
Speaker 1: Outside Yeah, uh.
Speaker 2: Outside, you know it's already go wrong with the Brazilian steakhouse. You know, if you just need to gorge yourself to death. I love I found a couple of spots in Columbia that I just love, So I put that pretty high up on the loose. You know, as far as in the states, Lafayette, Louisiana is number one, and you know it's a long way to number two after that.
Speaker 3: That's that's coming up on the schedule here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's my favorite e end of the year, mainly because well I've won there, but I've stayed with with a family for six or seven years that are from there, and you know, they obviously know all the spots to take me. So it's just it's my favorite week of the year.
Speaker 3: So with a webine, like, you got a month layoff, what do you guys do?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What's a downtime look like? Versus you know, the weekend week out grind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, I was gone so long. I was gone thirty four days, so you know most of mine the last I guess I've been home about ten days. It's really just being a you know, trying to be a father and a husband and trying to get back into that routine. It's a little you know, it's kind of a shock to the system when you come back, you know, because you're just been in such a selfish mode as trying to be a golfer that you know, you kind of come back and it's all right, we're gonna get the kids up, get them to school, and you know, and then kind of get back into the routine of being a husband.
Speaker 1: So it's, uh, you.
Speaker 2: Know, that's kind of what it is for me. Obviously a lot of guys are different, but uh, and really we've had some pretty crappy weathers so I haven't even I've hit balls one time in ten days, which I really was going to take playing to take all last week off anyway, but this week I would have liked to have got some work done.
Speaker 1: But we're you know, we've.
Speaker 2: Had like nine inches of rain in the last three days, so I mean, I mean I've touched the club once since.
Speaker 1: I've been home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, balance is good.
Speaker 3: It's that that's gotta be something that's changed is how you know, imagine when you turn pro, you spend like your life gets like kind of encompassed by golf.
Speaker 2: Right, there's no doubt. Yeah, I mean obviously that's what you're that's all you're trying to do. And I mean that's all I'm still really trying to do. But now now instead of going to the golf course, you know, at nine and dicking around until five, now it's like, okay, I've got a window. My kids are at school from you know, eight to three. All right, I gotta drop them off. I gotta get my workout in, you know. Then I got four hours and this is what I gotta get done. So so why it's different, I think it's actually better because now you can't just you know, dick around, play eighteen, have lunch, not really not really have any structure. Now you've got all right, I got an hour and a half of big balls. Uh you know, I got an hour of short game practice and I'm gonna go get a quick nine him before i gotta go get the kids.
Speaker 1: So it's.
Speaker 2: It's it's different, but I almost think it's better, and especially for me because I could, you know, I got some add and so I could just get out there all day and just be like what the hell did I just do all day?
Speaker 1: So it's I think it's better.
Speaker 3: Actually, maybe maybe the next big fad and professional golf will be have triplets right before you turn pro.
Speaker 2: No no, no, don't. It's just complicates things. But you know, I think that I think that, you know, for a lot of the young guys. And obviously, like I said, I was the same way, you know. And I heard a podcast with Paul Casey a few months ago and he was talking about it because he just had a kid, and he's like, really, I mean, you know, I know all these eyes like to spend all you know, you didn't get what you need to get done in four or five hours. I mean, it's not like you. You know, I think that some of the way golf's change is guys are a lot more technically correct on a day to day basis, so you know, like I don't worry about taking a week off. I actually embrace it because I know you need it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Whereas a long time ago, before track Man and and you know all the great instruction, it was, well you know, I gotta I gotta keep going, so I keep my fields. Well now it's like, well all right, I'm gonna get on track. Man, all right, my swing looks the same. Well, you know, maybe there's a maybe it allows guys a little less, you know, to feel like they have to be out there all day every day.
Speaker 3: It's a good point, like I feel like I I do better the less I hit balls now. And it's like what David Deval said is like.
Speaker 2: There's definitely less expectation. I mean there's no doubt and you know you need you know, most players that aren't you know, top ten or fifteen or playing you know, twenty five twenty eight weeks a year. I mean you need some time off.
Speaker 1: I mean that's it.
Speaker 2: That's obviously a lot of time you know, on the road and grinding. You know, it's it's okay to give yourself a break. And I think that's one thing that's helped me, you know, really stay kind of injury freeze. I've never I've never felt like that I wasn't able to take a few days off if I felt like I needed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's one of the things like a young pro you get down to Florida or wherever you're going, and you feel like, oh, this is my job, so you got to do like ten hour days every day or else somebody is going to pass you by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then by the time into the tournament, you said, I'm tired. All you want to do is you know, recover. But it's so there's definitely a balance, and you know, maybe it takes some guys, you know, maybe it takes them having kids to kind of figure out that, hey, it's not I don't have to be out there all the times.
Speaker 4: So, uh, do you want to do some overrated underrated?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the Friday Eggs staple.
Speaker 1: So okay, I love it.
Speaker 4: So you just pick one one or the other.
Speaker 6: Here, track Man, I'm not allowed to say anything. Yeah, you can say, you can it's underrated.
Speaker 2: I started, Yeah, I think it's underrated. I started using one. I don't have one, like, but I think I'm the only guy that doesn't have one anymore. But you know, my instructors have one, and I love it. I don't get lost in the numbers. But I think it's I think it's revolutionized the.
Speaker 1: Way guys teach.
Speaker 3: Why why is it that everybody carries around track man, like it's like it's in its own case.
Speaker 4: It's like it's a bond, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like a it's you know, it's like a lady with a Gucci purse. It's like a status symbol. But hell, I see you guys on the mini tours. You know, I'm like, you know, I need to pay twenty grand for a track man.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't understand why you can't just carry it within like a bigger bag. Everybody's got to carry it around.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like it's like the designer purse and you gotta show it off. You know.
Speaker 3: It just looks so silly because it is so small, and it's like you're carrying this big tour bag. Like you can't put that just into the bag.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, just put it in a nondescript backpack or something exactly.
Speaker 3: So, uh, you you're a obviously we aren't going to ask you about what a Burger. That's like your your spot.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, yeah, that's a spot.
Speaker 3: Has have you ever had contract negotiations with what Aburger?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I've been trying, honestly, but I don't I think that I don't think they sponsored like individuals. But I'm a huge I'm a huge water Burger fan. I'm really a fan of their breakfast. I mean, I love their burgers, but I don't eat a lot of I prefer to make my own burgers.
Speaker 1: But I love their breakfast because, you.
Speaker 2: Know, let's face it, when you got a you know, it's seven o'clock tea time, I'm not gonna get up make my own breakfast. I'm just gonna hit the water Burger for a Bob.
Speaker 3: You know, you come on, So that's that's what you gotta get, Bob. I'm gonna go down. I spent some time in Texas, but I only got Boiderberger a couple times.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna be get the you.
Speaker 2: Know, the breakfast on a bum. I mean, it's just hard to be number twenty one. Next time you're down.
Speaker 3: Try so overrated, underrated, in and out.
Speaker 1: In and out. Uh, it's I love it. I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Uh so i'd say, un well, you know, people were fanatics about it, and then people think it's way overrated, but I think it's I would say it's I think.
Speaker 1: It's very good, all right.
Speaker 3: Well like the slide with the properly rated it's okay, steak and shake overrated, Yeah, I'm in on that too. And then uh, what's what's an under what's like you're under the radar purchase outside of the breakfast at water Burger, I get the number five, the bacon cheeseburger, all right, and then uh, then we'll say last one. We're gonna say Springfield, Illinois, the Land of Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Well, I would definitely say Bloomington, Illinois overrated. I don't know about Springfield. It was I don't know what the what is the rating on Springfield?
Speaker 1: So I can overrat it or underrated.
Speaker 3: Well, if if you think if you think Bloomington's overrated, Springfield definitely over Okay, you know, I know it's a that's a We got our state aum in Bloomington this year, and I don't think I'm gonna make the trip down there. It's just.
Speaker 1: It's just a bunch of cornfield. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was driving there from I guess he did a qualifier last year in Saint Louis, so I was driving from Saint Louis. I'm like, man, this is this is just one cornfield after another up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went to school in Champagne for college, and yeah, it's just saw cornfield.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a cornfield and soybeans. Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a tough spot in in the summer. It gets pretty hot down there.
Speaker 1: Coming off those crops.
Speaker 3: What what is the hottest place that you've you've played, like Malaysia, no doubt, it's always hot there.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't yeah, I was still obviously that people that I don't know if he loves it, but there's people that live there. There's a lot of people who live there. Man, you can have.
Speaker 3: It, all right, Well, we'll let you go and get to your workout. Everybody can followed on Twitter. Uh it's at ed Lore and then uh, oh sh see at Biggie and big D. You know, I'm just gonna cut that out because you know, get the power to do that. And then uh, of course follow the ed Lawd tracker at ed lore tracker that it'll.
Speaker 2: Be hot here in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of food updates, does it?
Speaker 3: Does the tracker ever come on site?
Speaker 2: He's been on site a couple of times, but he has he has an uncanny way of finding people that are there to kind of help him out.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, good luck and we'll be rooting for you, all right, Andy.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it, man, It's fun to be on with it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm
Speaker 6: Mmm