Speaker 1: I grew up in a gaming family.
Speaker 2: Like everybody, it's board games, like all the time, board games, and it's one of those things that like can be exhausting to other people who have to get invited.
Speaker 1: To my house and have to play board games.
Speaker 2: And it's also sometimes a little exhausty for me because my parents like to buy brand new board games all the time and spring them on us, and they try and find things that are either like it's just hard to hit the sweet spot with a growing child because you're either getting a game that's too advanced and he doesn't want to play it, or it's way too simple and you're like Snakes and Ladders just sucks or shoots. It's just like these games, you know, like sometimes the candy Land is the dumbest, Life is the worst.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I hate it.
Speaker 3: You a winner at the game anyway? Buy a dog?
Speaker 1: Is that the commercial?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Get get married, maybe have babies. Yeah you don't.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, no, I don't think i've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my parents bought this game and they brought it or they bought it. They bought it at Christmas and we were gonna play it. And I was just like This is the dumbest thing ever, this game.
Speaker 1: How is this a game? This should not be a game? Ends up being the funnest game in.
Speaker 2: The World's gonna play it with you, guys. And here's why it's a dumb game. There's no losing in this game. There's no points there.
Speaker 3: So it's for the younger generation. Yes, trophies for everybody. It just showed up.
Speaker 1: All it is is quick, quick, quick, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I set a timer and then if like, let's say it's Will's turn, I'm gonna set this timer. I think the timers for like thirty seconds, maybe a minute, okay, And then I pull out these cards and I have to ask you to name three things. Each card is named three things, so, oh, three things mice would be really good at. You have to name three things that mice would be really good.
Speaker 5: At, legitimately or no wrong.
Speaker 1: Answers, Okay.
Speaker 2: The only thing is to not have an answer and to take too long. So it's how many cards can you get through before the timer runs out?
Speaker 3: Odd?
Speaker 1: No wrong answers, Just don't stop talking.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm going go, oh God. Three bad places to bring a fish the desert, the sky, and the.
Speaker 1: Forest, Three things you can say to a bank robber.
Speaker 3: A nice mask, Hey, don't put that gut in my face, and can I help you with that bag of money?
Speaker 1: Three silly reasons to throw a fit.
Speaker 3: Danielle is always late, riders, Internet is screwing up, and we all sound like we're recording out potatoes.
Speaker 1: Three places to wear cool sunglasses.
Speaker 3: Outside at the beach, on an airplane.
Speaker 1: Three pieces of advice for a con artist.
Speaker 3: Commit to the bit. Costumes will make it happen, and a fake nose will get you far. Three ways to defeat a clown in battle punching, stabbing, shooting. Three things that was great, dude, you did better than almost everybody in my family.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, that's so good.
Speaker 2: Five six, I think like we we max out around five.
Speaker 1: Would be amazing. All right, Danielle, you're ready, so good?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I'm ready. Also, I am not late.
Speaker 2: Don't think about it. Don't think about it. There's the only wrong answer is not answered. Three new ways to pronounce your name.
Speaker 5: Donielle, Fichelle, doniel Fichelle, and Danny Fish.
Speaker 1: Three things that make a party lame.
Speaker 5: People drinks and snacks terrible.
Speaker 1: Three terrible materials to make a boat out of, uh.
Speaker 5: Cotton, linen, and DVDs. Three reasons a dog might bark squirrels, firecrackers and guns.
Speaker 1: Three things you would not want to be locked in a room.
Speaker 5: With spiders, Wilfred l and and cats.
Speaker 2: Physical three physical traits an alien could have ears, long fingers, and green slime. Three ways to impress a movie star.
Speaker 5: Fancy, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I think you beat Will?
Speaker 3: What? Two?
Speaker 1: Three, four? Tied at six?
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny that the second you try and get clever, like the second you're Wilfred Ellen.
Speaker 5: I couldn't pick up with anything else after?
Speaker 2: It was so funny is that you said three things a dog might bark at and those three could have been the next one because the next one was what you don't want to be locked in a room with.
Speaker 1: I was like just say the same thing because like squirrels.
Speaker 3: Wow, So who won? When you guys are playing?
Speaker 2: I usually did, or mere Indy, because like it's it's about your ability to just like turn your brain off and to just talk, which guess what kids can do really well?
Speaker 1: And like, yeah, you guys are amazing.
Speaker 2: I knew it was gonna be because you play like when you play with my parents and they literally get through like three cards because it's just like they're they're trying to be clever or they're just trying to think of the right answer, and it's like the whole game is just how do we turn your brain off and try and get through this as quickly as possible, And then you get really upset with a person takes too long to read the card.
Speaker 1: And then the real problem is.
Speaker 2: Like people get caught up on one answer for everything, so they'll be like, put it up your butt and then like that, you know, then everybody realizes that that's like so funny that they're just gonna say that for everything, three things you can do with the light bulb, and then then you get caught You're like that's I can't just keep doing that.
Speaker 3: So it's quite quick. Yeah, quick, quick, quick, quick, quick, dumbest game ever.
Speaker 1: I love it so much.
Speaker 2: It's the greatest party game. It's like just how much can you turn your brain off and just go with it?
Speaker 1: And like it's.
Speaker 3: Genuinely hard for me, Like William amazing at this game.
Speaker 1: Amazing his weight.
Speaker 2: Would have been like yeah, but it's also it goes through a curve like it starts off. Everybody's pretty slow. You guys started off really fast. Usually people start off only able to get like three or four. Then they get good up to like five ish, and then you start overthinking it and go back to like two because in your brain's like, well now I've I've run out.
Speaker 1: It's so fun to play.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 5: That is good. I know there were a couple of times that like I would say something like when I said green slime. Then as you were reading the next question, I thought was that's not an that's not a bit, that's not a like, And then I was like.
Speaker 1: Just keep going talking.
Speaker 3: By the way, yes you're not late uh normally, which is good. But also being locked in a room with me would be awesome.
Speaker 5: I know that is true. I just wanted to get back at your kind and.
Speaker 1: That's why I keep it. It's a little bit because you're thinking about it.
Speaker 5: It's like, how do I what I'm gonna say something mean about you say something? Say something mean me, I.
Speaker 1: Say something mean fatty mcfatty fast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in a room with you, even though we spend time together all the time. Well, that was really fun. Writer, I enjoyed that game. Thank you for sharing it with us. Quick, quick, quick, We'll do it again. Welcome to bod meets World.
Speaker 3: I'm Daniel Fisher, I'm Braderstrom, and I'm Wilford Dell, Ron Stoppable Eric Matthews.
Speaker 1: Left.
Speaker 5: For the past three years we have participated in what we originally called a rewatch podcast, but have only recently found out it is technically public trauma counseling. We have laughed, we have cried, we've suppressed, we've disassociated, but above all else, we've grown. And this week's guests new book, I Choose Me, Chasing Joy, finding purpose, and embracing reinvention might just be the spiritual literature needed for this journey. She found fame in nineteen ninety when she was cast as Kelly Taylor, the iconic, perfect on the surface, complicated underneath high schooler on Beverly Hills nine two one oh, a cultural phenomenon that not only pushed Fox from Laughingstock to Powerhouse Network, but sent everyone on the show into an orbit beyond fame. She spent ten years at Beverly High, facing drug addiction, pregnancy, and amnesia, all while spending weekends at the peach Pit and helping launch spinoffs like Melrose Place and Models Inc.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 3: They were in high school for ten years, they went to college, they went to Occidenta was the location for their Cold Day, Okay.
Speaker 5: Get Yeah, then rebooting it all to revisit the character in two thousand and eight for the self Aware spinoff nine O two one OH. She'd later co star with Amanda Bynes on the sitcom What I Like About You and Make It all the way to the semifinals with partner Derek Huff on season five of Dancing with the Stars. Plus, she's a fellow podcaster with I Choose Me and her own rewatch endeavor nine O two one MG, both here at iHeart, and she's an entrepreneur with her own lifestyle and clothing line sold exclusively on QVC and Yes. Her newest memoir, slash Self Help Manifesto, invites the reader into her real story of growing up on TV and facing Hollywood's impossible beauty standards, all while facing loss, heartbreak, and the challenge of motherhood. She's seen it all, and now in her fifties, she's aging with confidence and just learning to put herself first. Sounds familiar right well, let's commiserate now with our guest this week, a TV legend, Jenny Garth. Hello, writer, Hi, good to see you. Thank you so much for coming on our podcast. Our conversations you and I are usually confined to me telling you how cute your code is. At an iHeart party. That's usually the extent of conversation. It's a passing. I'm like, you're so cute. So we wanted to start by talking about your book, I Choose Me Chasing Joy, finding purpose, and embracing reinvention. What was it about turning fifty that made you want to look back on your journey with a new perspective.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if I wanted to. I kind of like forced you. Funny, you kind of reach an age where you got to make.
Speaker 6: Assessments and figure things out. You got to look back and you got to think what do I want next? You know, I mean we can't otherwise just I was just in a place of like wandering around lost with really no direction and no kind of like passion for much. I was just really searching. So at fifty I kind of thought, you know, I have from fifty to sixty, like like, let's see what I can do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's like dig in find all the.
Speaker 6: Places of things that I've always wanted to do but never pushed myself or never you know, really was brave enough to try. And so that's kind of of what was the catalyst for doing the Exchoose Me podcast, doing the clothing brand, and then the book and the Women's Summit, Like it's all sort of like under this this beautiful umbrella of choosing yourself, and I'm you know, just loving that everything's kind of connected back to the one thing that feels aligned for me and feels purpose driven and feels like I'm making a difference in people's lives, maybe one by two or one by one or whatever it is, but like it feels more more intentional than just like waiting for my manager to call me and say, hey, there's an audition you could put yourself on tape for, right, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I feel like that's the acting curse, right, especially when you're a young actor. It's like you just get into the habit of waiting for that opportunity to come and then maybe you'll get the part, or maybe you won't. Then Yeah, I feel like in some ways, maybe we were all a little slower to learn to take care of ourselves in the regard of like go get your own, create your own opportunities.
Speaker 4: You know, do you think did you guys feel that, Because I've talked about that before.
Speaker 6: I felt like I had a ten year bubble of my life of like my personal development, my like choosing.
Speaker 4: What I wanted to do in life gone.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm ten years behind people that went to the normal route and went to college and like rapped themselves out.
Speaker 2: But then in other ways we were more mature, right because we were like working full time and in working with adults who are older than it.
Speaker 1: So it's like it's this weird paradig or contradiction. You know.
Speaker 6: It was like you here, you have three house payments, right and four employees, but you don't know how.
Speaker 3: You're really much Yeah, all right.
Speaker 5: I think doing this podcast, an unexpected result for us has been the realization that we have all apparently blocked some things out. So when you were looking back on your life, is that something you noticed you had also experienced?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean there's childhood stuff that I blocked out that you know, you don't really you don't really want to go that far back and that deep. But I really believe that you have to just kind of reveal all your secrets or at least to yourself, and then be selective about things.
Speaker 4: That you want to move forward in the conversation. But I found that.
Speaker 6: I, you know, I had this memory issue too, So I always thought like I was heading for some early diagnosis or something because I have a very bad brain, like my memory. So it was something that I was curious about before I even started writing the book, like why is my brain like this? And why can't I remember huge chunks of my life?
Speaker 4: I experienced that to have a picture.
Speaker 6: If I see a picture, I'm like, oh, that's I kind of see that moment that that photo was taken in, but I don't really have anything around it. So always just really curious about, like why my brain is dialed in that way?
Speaker 3: Ye Were you always that, I mean even when we were you know, when you were younger, Did you have trouble remembering you know, earlier in your life or was this something that was happening more later.
Speaker 4: I don't remember, will I think I didn't. I think I was. When I was.
Speaker 6: Closer to it, it was fresher, But then just I've got so like lightning speed on every front in my world that I think, you know, I always say I don't have enough gigabytes for that, Like I just feel like it's really crowded in there with that that I don't need to remember and things that I do need to remember, like what time my interview is with you guys.
Speaker 5: Too, Right, Yeah, totally totally understand. You're just coming off of the I Choose Me tour with a big blowout in Los Angeles, a second annual live women's empowerment event, and just some of the guests who were there, Naomi Watts, Amanda Klutes, Sarah Shahi, Valshchmurkowsky who heard that women were going to be there and showed up. This was a massive undertaking. How did it go and did you have a nervous breakdown?
Speaker 4: I think it was amazing. Last year we did it.
Speaker 6: We had an incredible slew of guests last year, one of them being Nest Naomi Watts, and then this year we had Bozema, Saint John all the way to Valschmarkowsky, Tyler Merritt, just some really and then of course my beautiful friend doctor Daniel Aman who's the neuroscientist about brain health. He came and just really kind of dropped the mic and gave everybody in the room some really serious things to start thinking about as far as longevity and taking care of our brain. So I loved having him there.
Speaker 4: But it is this.
Speaker 6: Weird like I build for it all year and then all of a sudden, it's a week away and everybody's panicking and we don't have the cups and where's the backdrop, and who's gonna be clout? Like it's a it's all hands on deck for a good solid two weeks probably, But it went off without a hitch, incredible, Like I heart helps me produce it on the ground, so it goes off like you know, jingle ball or some like miraculous. I don't know what happens, but and I feel like the women in the room, it was a very like we all felt like we were absorbing good things, positive messages. And I feel like everybody who was there was there till the last minute, like listening and just taking it in and enjoying that. The camaraderie between the women, everybody kind of like minded looking for something what's next or how do I you know, prioritize myself. So it's just a great day of really important messages and people sharing their stories. Like you, you know, when we share our stories. I've certainly found like when I share my story, whether it was talking about the book or things in the book or whatever, I've always been very sharing, well not always but recently. But that's the thing. When we share our stories, we kind of have that moment of like, oh, I'm I'm That's how I'm dealing too, and now I'm like a little less alone. Maybe I should talk a little bit more openly about it. So it really it's just about my goal with doing the whole thing. I don't need to make one single dollar. I just like helping people. And that's the event that I feel like it has a lot of impact because we're together in the room and it's all like planned for that for you to leave with something tangible that you can take into your life.
Speaker 5: Is there anything you can share with us from your doctor friend? What's one brain health song we should be doing?
Speaker 6: But well, doctor and doctor Daniel Aman really did change how I thought of my brain health. I didn't think of my brain health before I saw him. I thought that I had a damaged brain. I thought, you know, maybe I'm going slipping into some unwonted territory with my brain. And he was able to do a spec scan and look at my actual brain organ and from there, you know, I've I've struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life since I was a teenager, and been on medications and on and off them, on and off them, and never you know, really struggling to find the right cocktail, if you will. And he was like, why would you why would a psychiatrists just give medication to a brain without looking at it, Like if you are going to the heart doctor and you you know, they need to look at your brain, give you an ultrasound and see where you're clogged in order to know how to proceed taking care of it. So that's kind of his whole passion about the brain is actually looking at it on a spec scan and he can see like areas of the brain of that are more active and less active. So there's incredible activity over here, which is kind of sucking all the activity from over here.
Speaker 4: And that is where we.
Speaker 6: Find a lot of imbalances as far as how to emotionally regulate, how to handle like if you're an introvert, how to handle situations where it's required for you to be an extrovert, Stress, anxiety, all those things, especially when you are sort of thrust into the to the spotlight. And I can only speak from my situation put you know, from the farm to like being that kind of globally famous, it has a very strong effect on certain synapses in your brain. I never would have thought about this like he has. He studied the brains of Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, like the biggest superstars on the planet, and can see significant areas that are overactive and significant areas that are underactive, and it explains so much about the things they are struggling with in their lives. So his work is really fascinating and I've learned a lot, but like one of the most important things I learned straight away was you have He's told me you have a beautiful brain.
Speaker 4: I was like, OK, you have two concussions. I can see two dense from let's figure out where those came from.
Speaker 6: So we were able to kind of like pinpoint things in my life. And then he said, and the best part is you can improve your brain health, like it's not This isn't just one way ticket to you're going to be slobbering in the corner. You can actually be super proactive about taking care of your brain.
Speaker 4: So all of that stuff.
Speaker 6: He's got great books too that are just like easy to understand, which was shocking.
Speaker 3: About saying taking care of your brain? Is it something? Is it more cognitive stuff like it it's exercises you do, or is it medication?
Speaker 6: Well both, it can be both. He likes to start with supplementation before he goes onto medication. For some people just need medicine. I happen to be one of those people, So I bu combo of supplements and medications, and it's just about keeping that balance, you know, and maybe you know, making sure you're regularly checking in on how your medication is working for you because things change, you know. But also just like moving your body is the number one thing you can do from a brain. I mean, you think we're all starting to get these messages now, so it's not talking, but like just going on a walk every day is not only good for how you feel and your physical being, but it's also good for your brain health. You know. He talks a lot about no alcohol. I stopped drinking because it's that important to me. And there's you know, other things that he talks about that you can do as well. Supplementation was a great place to start as well.
Speaker 3: Now, the pictures that you had taken of your brain, is it like a regular MRI machine where you have to go into the tunnel of doom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little bit of a different tunnel of doom.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I don't know what it is, but it's it is kind of like that. It's quicker than an MRI, okay, and it's not noisy.
Speaker 4: It's much easier.
Speaker 6: And that's the really bad part about it is spec scans aren't covered under insurance. Of course, if you you know, if you're really struggling with addiction or with depression anxiety, memory issues, which I was. It was memory issues and that depression anxiety I was trying to figure out. When I went to him, it was worth it to me to have some answers that I could build upon to like figure things out moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done that. I've done the scans the MRI, and it's like my doctor's like, now you just have to You're fine unless you deal with you know, in closed spaces or rhythmic banging, and I'm like, those are two of my triggers. So this, yeah, that's gonna be great. So okay, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you have a dream guest for an I choose me event?
Speaker 4: An event I've Actually I just saw Tiffany Hattish on What's the show where they take them out into the wilderness with.
Speaker 5: Bear oh good guy, air grills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just saw her.
Speaker 6: Doing that on my TV last night, and I just loved her attitude and I love the way she's like it seems like she parents herself, like she knows how to really take care of like her little self inside of her. And I'm her very inspirational. I would love to have her on.
Speaker 5: Okay, good, Well, let's get into your origin story a little bit. You grew up on a horse ranch with seven siblings. Were you guys filming little House on the prairie.
Speaker 6: No, it was only me and three of my sisters that lived on the farm.
Speaker 4: You know, everybody would come over on fourth of July and.
Speaker 5: Right, okay, but only four of you lived there all the time.
Speaker 6: Okay, my four half sisters and then my others are also half sisters, and brothers. So it's kind of like his hers and mine family, and I'm the mine, so I'm like Oliver. I kind of like to call my Oliver. I really like that at all from the Brady Bunch. But yeah, it was like we garden, We grew our own vegetables, and my my toys were animals, you know.
Speaker 4: My friends were My best friends were my horse and my dirt bike.
Speaker 6: So it's a pretty idyllic way to grow up in the middle of like cornfields in the Midwest. Yeah, I wish I could go back to it, quite honestly, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, yeah, yeah, I bet. And eventually in Arizona, you were discovered by a Hollywood scout, which is how most people are scammed. To be honest in your case, though this is actually real. How did your parents react when this guy said that you should be in la because you look like you should be a star.
Speaker 6: Well, he was actually doing a favor for a friend of his. He was filling in as a judge at this tiny little pageant, which I had gotten coerced into doing by my mom to try to get a scholarship for to go to school to become a dance teacher. So when I thought I was too, and this guy was there and he looked very fancy, but he also had his wife with him, which kind of give him give him a little more.
Speaker 4: Credit, I thought, exactly, credibility of a creep.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And he was coming off b the head of casting for ABC, and he had just moved to LA to open up his own management firm. And he said, you know, read this scene. Here's some sides. Let's meet over the buffet breakfast tomorrow and you can read these with my wife. And from there they said, yeah, there's something about you. We think you should look into it, like you should start studying acting or doing it in school or something. So I started taking acting lessons and mailing him the VHS.
Speaker 4: Tapes that we look forward.
Speaker 6: He would get them and then he would watch them, and then he would send back his notes. So it was a lot of process of that until he thought, well, I think, you know, why don't you come out for this pilot season.
Speaker 4: Give it a try.
Speaker 6: So my mom and I drove out from Arizona to LA and got a little apartment and got our Thomas Guide out and found our audition points.
Speaker 4: Every day.
Speaker 6: That was that, you know, I just kind of really interestingly rolled right into it.
Speaker 3: Are you were you a regular apartment kid or were you a Oakwood apartment kid?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No, I never stayed at Oakwood. My kids went to Oakwood School, which is a whole nother situation, but oak Wood apartments. No, I had, like I think it was on Cold Cold Water Canyon right by the A M p M.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 5: Yes, So when do you have the nine O two one O audition? Where does that fall in your journey to La Gosh?
Speaker 6: I want to say not that long after I think I got I got. My first job was on a Disney movie called Teen Angel, which also starts uh huh that's where we first met. And then I did an episode of Growing Pains rahap one line, three words, one line, and then I did I got to star as Barbara Eden's daughter in a short lived show that she did with Don Murray. And I mean, yeah, so I was just like every day at work, just jaw on the floor watching these professionals work and how they, you know, handled the set and the crew. And I learned so much, like from the real pros of the industry.
Speaker 4: On that show.
Speaker 6: And then nine on two and okame like it just there was a it was pilot season and I had the opportunity to audition for one show and then another show.
Speaker 4: Had to pick one though.
Speaker 6: One was Kenny Ortega, something about dancing in a school.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It wasn't high.
Speaker 6: School music, like high school mus school. And then the other one was a teen drama set in Beverly Hills and it was produced by Aaron Spelling, and I thought, well, I always loved Aaron Spelling shows. I would love to get in front of him. That would be amazing, just because he's looking it be so cool, and so I opted to do that one.
Speaker 3: But way, you wanted to be a dancer, and it was Kenny or Tega.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 6: That was the hardest part of it. I realized though, at my at my in my pageant moment when I met Andy, my manager.
Speaker 4: Who's still to my manager to this day.
Speaker 6: By the way, Wow wow wow, Yeah, we've been together for forty years.
Speaker 4: I realized I wasn't a very good dancer. So didn't take the crown on that one.
Speaker 5: So funny, and yet you wanted to be a dance teacher.
Speaker 3: That's what you know.
Speaker 5: If you can't do it, Yeah, exactly, Wow, I mean so much of Beverly Hills nine two one zero was this chic, gorgeous cast, possibly the best looking cast ever assembled. And in your book you talk at length about the public scrutiny you faced about your public appearance and the constant comparisons made between all of you. We have talked a lot about this on our podcast, especially about the nineties in Body Image. How do you reconcile all of that now? How do you look back on it?
Speaker 6: I look back on it like who the hell is protecting us? Like, yeah, you know, there was nobody was having conversations around how to protect the young people that were working in the industry from from.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of you know, like just minefields.
Speaker 6: You know, it was some constant minefield, and there was the sets were so loose and like everything goes, whatever happens happens, and nobody complains about anything. If you complain, you're uptight or say something you're up you know, so like, yes, you just learned to swim, you know, in in infested waters, and that's what I that's what I look back on. That time also very fun. I had a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: It was really crazy and like go, you know, going.
Speaker 6: To appearances, and being mobbed and like, what why do these people want to get at me?
Speaker 4: Like, I get it.
Speaker 6: They liked the show, but I didn't really understand it until I started doing the OMG recap show. We do a podcast for that, and I had to watch the show from the very first episode to where we're still in that show.
Speaker 4: By the way, we're in season eight. Mek it up.
Speaker 6: But now, like, what a show I ask a viewer. Now I'm a super fan, and of course I want to watch it every week. I want to know what's going to happen to these characters that I've now spent eight years growing up with. So I get it, and now it makes so much more sense. But being in it was a completely different story.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Well, I mean I remember growing up watching that show and starting at the beginning, and it was distinctly a soap opera for me, Like, you know, that's that's what it came off as. Is it came off as like, first of all, it's set in this mythical land of Beverly Hills, and as a kid from Connecticut, it was like, oh my god, this is the greatest thing in the world. And then of course everybody's stunning, the Porsche and all that. It was just it was, it was. It was lolla.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 6: Nobody had seen what Beverly Hills looked like at that time. You didn't live in Beverly Hills and weren't bread and grown grown up, but the world wanted to know what it looked like. And that was one of the biggest the greatest parts of that show was just opening up. I mean, it made that zip code famous, but you know that all proceeded as like social media happened.
Speaker 4: Now I look famous, but that one just.
Speaker 6: Really what people attached to their their hearts, their childhoods, their teenage years, their years had such an impact and I get it now, Like I love the show. I always loved the show and I love on.
Speaker 3: It, but sure, but it did it made it made all other high schools suck because you were You're like sitting like, man, my high school is not like nine o two and oh at all, Like what the hell?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was. It was. It was literally a cultural phenomenon. I mean it was also I remember it was was a merch machine. I mean I had friends that had like the girls had nine sheets and it was like everywhere was everywhere.
Speaker 4: It was everywhere. We Yeah, that's.
Speaker 6: Unfortunate for the cast because that was before we had to participate in any kind of benefits from that. So if you're sleeping on my face right now, Orne's face on your pillowcase, and yeah, we didn't get anything from that stun, it was still worth it. You know, there was a lot of systems that weren't in place in the early nineties as far as episodic residuals. All that stuff wasn't happening yet, so we we learned after the math.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you enjoy it as an actor? I mean, were you excited? Because I mean I remember looking at that show and going, oh, these guys get to do some really meaty, dramatic fun stuff. Yeah, you get to act.
Speaker 1: I mean we were on a comedy show.
Speaker 2: You know, there's we also got opportunities because our show was was better than a lot of others. But I mean, I always wanted to be on a nine O two one oh style show. So were you enjoying?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you love. I didn't know.
Speaker 6: I had never met a girl from Beverly Hills except Tory. I had never been like I went to Beverly Hills once as a tourist.
Speaker 4: I never drove a.
Speaker 6: BMW, like I had no idea about this world that I was all of a sudden portraying. And then you know, as it went on, I think the writers got to know where sort of like my abilities, what was my path, what was my lane? And they really wrote to that, so I ended up getting When I was a little girl, I was called Puddles. That was my nickname. I cried a lot, like I'm gonna talk about it in my book. I say, you know, I talk a lot about women expressing their emotions and not losing their voices. And I say, when I was younger, my nickname was Puddles, and people would make fun of me for my emotions. As I got older, I heard, oh, you know, your emotions are too much, or like you know, just peoples of saying you're too emotional. And then now I've turned it into I'm emotion full and I consider it what greatest superpowers. So going to the show that like deep well of emotions, that I was always ready right there, always like wore my emotions on my sleeve. Really I was able to showcase like all my dramatic acting moments so they ended up putting Kelly all those dramatic moments. I mean it got spread out as the show went on, but like she was shot and burned and stocked, and I can't even remember all the things, like so many things. Every episode felt like an after school special was really getting you know, something bad happened, happening to her. So I actually loved it though, because I had never gone to you know, acting school or or like, you know, I wasn't trained. I was just a person there showing up, getting the script and thinking if I was this character, how would I portray her, how would it come out of me? How would it feel?
Speaker 4: And I love that feeling.
Speaker 6: I think I loved it most because I got to step out of my like confus losing shoes of my personal person and into this make believe world where I knew at the end of the scene somebody would call it cut and I wouldn't have to feel those things anymore. And so that became a beautiful like way to disassociate from reality. But at the same time, as an actress, it was so meaty all the time. I loved it.
Speaker 5: It's so crazy. I remember kind of like a big joke about the show. Maybe the SNL hook was that the majority of the cast was too old to actually be in high school. Was that a joke you guys also made behind the scenes. Was that something you guys were talking about the minute the show skyrocketed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well actually it was hidden.
Speaker 6: Like the people that were older on the cast didn't joke about it, and.
Speaker 5: You don't want to didn't want to talk about it.
Speaker 6: They didn't want to lose their jobs, have any reason for the producers to look at them and say, oh, she does look older, Like, for instance, Gabrielle Carteris was.
Speaker 4: Older. She was probably older than all of us.
Speaker 6: For sure, Ian was older than all of us, older than his character Jason was older than his character Gabrielle.
Speaker 3: Though, became like when that came out and quote unquote came out, it became it was so ridiculous where you would hear things like, you know, she's playing a high schooler. She's forty seven years eight, Okay, still not usually what twenty four.
Speaker 4: That she was probably I think twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, And it was that's all you heard, though, like she's sixty two years.
Speaker 4: I mean, she's no play twelve years old?
Speaker 3: Right, were you were you close as a cast right away or because it's I mean, it seems like it's different when you're shooting a single camera show, where you might have days where you don't see some of your fellow actors. You know, hey, we're shooting these scenes today, we know, whereas we were always together, you know, we're kind of we're rehearsing every day. So I mean, were you close right away or did it take a while for everybody to kind of gell?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were close instantly, like we were you know what it was single camera would show My gosh, can you remember back in those days how it took to make.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're shooting a movie every day for ten years of exactly.
Speaker 6: So it was we were most often all there together every day because what if they needed to reschedule something, they would just keep us in our dressing room alley and you would just be at their disposal from six am to eight pm, you know. Yeah, And we were always together. And that was a whole small way, and all of our dressing rooms were off the small hallway. And it was in the sound stage in Van Uys, California, like by the railroad tracks and a porn studio we had there were we had no commissary to go meet anybody else in or anything lost us.
Speaker 4: They would bring us lunch.
Speaker 6: We wouldn't get out of there until it was dark like, so it was all consuming for for you know, it got better as the years ago went on, because they got better at scheduling and right being to the characters to try to kind of give some people some time.
Speaker 4: Away from set. But it was we were together a lot, and we were young.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was gonna say, were you all over eighteen? Was there set school or.
Speaker 4: Cory and Brian were underage, so they were they went to school, Okay?
Speaker 6: On set, I was emancipated in order in order to do that show. I got emancipated so that I wouldn't have to There was not a lot of time for the I don't know, it was like something that forts me to do. I got emancipated, my parents let me do it, and then the bing I was an adult responsible things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, one of the things you mentioned, you guys spending a lot of time together, that was another aspect. That was a lot of water cooler tabloidy talk. I think it was the first time I remember hearing about how a young cast was clashing, and a lot of that focused on how Shannon was a prima donna. How did you guys navigate that kind of tabloid talk while you were on set, especially since I'm sure most of it was probably extremely exaggerated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, thank goodness, there was no social media then. Yeah, you know, so you had a wait for those papers to.
Speaker 6: Come out and print. I think that we were all young. I always because I made mistakes, Other people made mistakes.
Speaker 4: We were young. We were going up under unusual.
Speaker 6: Circumstances, high stress environment, highly competitive, no stability whatsoever, And anything that happened during those times has long been forgiven by any of us.
Speaker 4: I would imagine.
Speaker 6: I can't speak for other people, but for myself, Like, yeah, stuff went down, Like it wasn't always fun and great all the time, but it was part of the process of being in this situation the way we were. And I don't think, you know, there's no love lost. We all, at the end of the day have the greatest love for one another, like this invisible string that connects us.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was hard to navigate.
Speaker 6: In the moment because we were not equipped to handle those kinds of complex relationships and the behaviors that went on because of the you know, not being developed completely right abilities, so a lot it was hard to navigate. And I write about a little bit of it in my book, but I don't, you know, there's still things that I didn't write about that.
Speaker 4: It's interesting once you open.
Speaker 6: The door and you start to like look into your past, then like you can't help but see, oh there's a little more light. I'm going to open a door a little bit more. So, even now after I've written the book, I'm like, wait a second, that's thinking more about that situation and then like, wow, the impact of that. You know, it's an interesting journey to like look back air life like that.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting to me that, like the tabloids were writing about you guys because like we had, of course on set dynamics and drama, but nobody cared like for whatever reason. I guess because we were a kids show. And even though you guys were a teen show, for some reason, you captured the imagination of the adult world too, And.
Speaker 1: It's it's so interesting, and I guess it's because you guys.
Speaker 2: Were so edgy, right, like you were dealing with you were you were addressing teen issues in a way that adults were also watching and sort of keeping up with. But it's it strikes me as really weird now because I don't read about teenage actors nowadays, Like I don't know who does.
Speaker 1: It's so weird that that you.
Speaker 6: Don't do that, and I don't do that because we're too old and there are too many famous people now, so I can't keep up right, right, But you're I mean, you're right.
Speaker 4: Like I guess it just looked like sensational.
Speaker 6: It looked fantastical and it's, you know, an untapped world that nobody knew about. So and then it it you know, the writing pitted the characters against one another in a lot of ways, and then that would eke out into the audience, and then the viewers would attached to whoever they wanted to, whose teams beyond whether they were Brenda or Kelly or Dylan or Brandon or Brandon and Kelly or Brandon, you know, just like a million different teams to be on, which was really sad because that I think was more damaging the way they fed it to the audience, the viewers, and then the way the viewers kind of like, still to this day have people who hate me.
Speaker 4: Like character another character's boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm always like and they actually call me words like ugly words. I'm like, wow, Okay, if you need me to explain it to you, I can, but just.
Speaker 1: Job television show.
Speaker 3: But I think you're right. You hear more quote unquote drama happening on drama sets than you do on comedy sets. Yeah, the drama is part of the show's the character, right, people want to add that drama to the real life.
Speaker 2: It's like a side effect of It's like, so you're doing your job well, You're drawing them into your characters so well.
Speaker 1: That then they're gonna want to know more about the actors.
Speaker 3: And it's like Danielle and I just heard this with a lot of the professional wrestlers, where it's like if you're a heel and you're so good at your jobs as a bad wrestler, then they hate you in real life as opposed to going like you're so good at your job that I hate you in the most wonderful way. It's more like you're an you're a villain because you're good at what you do. So yeah, it's really strange to watch it, but you would you'd hear about that all the time. Well, you know, they're dating in real life, or they got into a fight over this, But you never heard about stuff like that happening on the set of Elf, you know, you know what I mean. It was like, because it's a comedy, nobody, nobody cared. They kind of can just let that go where the drama surrounding your lives had to really be part of the drama surrounding what was going on, and it sold.
Speaker 4: The show they want to perpetuated.
Speaker 3: And then couple that with the fact that you've you've completely broken the mold and you're in the zeitgeist everywhere. I mean you are. You are pop culture in the early nineties, nine o two, you know.
Speaker 1: It's everywhere.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget. It made the news in Connecticut when Luke Perry went to a mall and they had to escort him out and there were people like trying to lunch, like looked like tens of thousands of people. It looked like the Beatles, And it was insane to watch this stuff. It was crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, we all got our share of that fear put into us of people crushing, the stages of people getting crushed and crying and like passing out, and you know, it was very traumatizing so many levels. But you know, the the bottom line is that now when people look back at the way they remember the show is so it's so touching, it's so yeah, it's really meant something to them, and it and so many people have said, like that got me through my teenage years.
Speaker 4: You were my friend. I did many friends, but I had you my.
Speaker 6: Wall and I watched the show and I wrote you letters and you wrote me letters back like we were. I was on it with the fan mail back then. You know, I could feel the people, the pain and the people and them wanting that connection, and it just had such a you know, I feel like a really important impact on a lot of people. So I love that about the show.
Speaker 3: Well, I think one of the other things that did is it, as you're saying, very few people knew like I could pull the curtain back on Beverly Hills. But at the same time, then it's showing that wow, they're going through the same thing in their high school that I'm going through in mind, even though they're in this mythical Land, So it kind of showed no matter where you do a great drama that takes place in a high school on Mars, the kids are still going to be going through the same thing they are in Iowa. So it was that that was the kind of thing where it's like, yeah, they're prettier than me, and they have nicer cars than me, and they have more money than me, but they also have exactly the same problems I do.
Speaker 6: And that was like leveling of like kind of that's how I felt. I still feel as a human, Like I talk about that because we're all here as humans on this earth trying to figure this experience out. None of us have directions or you know, nobody's really telling us what to do. At the end of the day, it's all our decision making. So I always talk about like just except like looking into one another's eyes as humanity and thinking, oh my gosh, you are just like me. Like it's just something so like community building about that. You know, unless you know you look at people and you just hate them, that's a.
Speaker 5: Whole Did you treat yourself to anything When the show took off and became a smash hit.
Speaker 4: Well, I treated other peop people to things. I you know, got my dad a truck.
Speaker 6: I bought a farm for my parents to live on because it made them happy. I got my first husband a Harley convertible corvette. At all, No, I didn't need anything but my dog on my lap. I got happy people around me, and I thought like, if I buy these people things, not my price much, but like then they're going to be happy and everybody's going to be great. You know, it's going to be copasetic. And I wasn't until I think after one of the like you know, they would send you to New York for the upfronts and you have to schmooz with the pr people and from the buyers all that.
Speaker 4: You know, the trill.
Speaker 6: I think there was a I was staying at a hotel and there was a jewelry shop connected to the hotel, like one of those like cures, little pretty little stores. And I did go in there once and I bought myself a pair of diamond earrings. I never wore them, I still, but I bought myself some earrings that were expensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like I should reward myself, even like.
Speaker 6: My last birthday, I just turned fifty four, and for a whole week, week and a half. I was like, I want to go shopping and buy myself something to like just say, you know you like.
Speaker 4: You deserve this? Why not?
Speaker 6: And I have never gotten it done that have been for for a while now.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know, it's just nothing important to me, honestly.
Speaker 3: What about something like are you still into animals? I mean, did you ever want to get yourself a horse?
Speaker 5: I have?
Speaker 1: Okay, so there you go.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess that would be but my we raised them on our farm up in the San Nenez Valley, so it's a community effort and I got I asked for a dog for Christmas this year. I was like, I don't want anything but except a little tiny puppy that I can travel with because I don't like traveling alone and I just like having like a little heartbeat with me and my husband and my daughter. Found a little puppy and daughter for me first.
Speaker 4: So sweet.
Speaker 5: We had Brian Austin Green on the show recently, and one thing we really connected with him on was the blurring of the lines between David Silver and Brian, with the writers using real aspects from his life for his characters. That happened on our show, and writer didn't really love it, felt a little intrusive. Did you have that issue at all?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I mean I did see that you had you faced drug addiction, pregnancy, and amnesia, possibly all in that order or all at once.
Speaker 6: So yeah, you know, multiple times there was the guy the cocaine with the boyfriend.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 6: I had done none of the things that my character, right, okay, but I was like, I have no idea how to pretend to snort cocaine.
Speaker 4: But here goes, here we go, give him my best shot.
Speaker 3: Was there ever in the ten years a storyline where you went, no, not doing it?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Not in the early years. Not in the first five years. Probably we had no control, no power, nobody listened to us. But then as the show, you know, they needed us more to not leave our contracts or whatever they saw that that could possibly happen or people got replaced or whatever. And also they knew, like they knew that I knew my abilities also, so I think that there were times when I would go in and say, I just I don't see this something my character would say or do or get herself involved with. Usually, you know, a lot of times like with a love interest. They would bring me in on casting because it was important that you know the person worked with the character and you know, chemistry, Yeah, chemistry. I mean I've said before I could have chemistry with a door knob because I just want to get the scene done and go home. But there there was there have been a couple of occasions where now watching the show back, I'm like, ooh, I'm not that good, Like I am mystery of that guy?
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have rewatched now tons of nine o two one o episodes for nine o two one OMG, what have you come away with watching the show with a twenty twenty six lens?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 5: You said you were a super fan.
Speaker 4: I'm a super fan. I cannot believe some of the things the show got away with.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and also just like knowing it's so cool to see me where I am in my life, like my personal development and growth, and then see how it was so stunted and it was so.
Speaker 4: It was so unfamiliar.
Speaker 6: I was making it up as I go, and you know, just like how to handle all that stuff on a personal level. So I have a very strong, like new sort of appreciation love for myself that young girl that was in those moments trying to figure all of that out. So this one one of the biggest, huge, just takeaways from watching the show back is really appreciating that young person playing that role, what she was managing in her real life too, but still showing up when they said action and you know, always being you know, what I was supposed to be, but just like a new just an understanding too of like why I have struggled with certain things in my life and where that might have come from. Like there's a lot of personal work aside from just a true appreciation for the.
Speaker 4: Show being what it was.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, was there ever a time you were considering leaving?
Speaker 4: I think maybe, like.
Speaker 6: See like when it was between eight and nine and ten, there were you know, those were the times when I would have the thoughts. But honestly, I really never had a strong desire to leave the show. Because I had a young daughter. I was able to take her to work with me. I was able to pay for our house and her needs, and I was appreciative of that. And you know, I come from you know, working middle class family where you work hard and you don't bite the hand that feeds you. You know, so I have a very strong work ethic, and I think that really kept me there to see.
Speaker 4: I love seeing things through to the end, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'd eventually go on to star on What I Like About You with Amanda Bynes, who also was a child star, did you ever feel like a big sister on set now in a position to have faced it and survived?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean when I met her, like the first day we worked together, I was turning thirty and she was turning sixteen, and we shared birth date, so huge different places in our lives.
Speaker 4: And I was actually a little nervous going in.
Speaker 6: And working with being the older one and working with a teenager like I had been before, and I thought, Okay, this is weird. But luckily my character was her older sister, so and they were silly. It was fun and it wasn't too too deep all the time. But I just working with Amanda at that young, like efferves an age. She was just hopping all over the place, and if we were filming something, and like you know when you film live like they'll the audience will hear music while you're like getting notes from the director and stuff, and she would hear a song that was playing, and she'd be gone, like that'd be it. She'd have to dance it out for the whole with the audience or whoever was around her, and we'd all just wait. But I learned to like, I love that about her, and it really, honestly sort of helped me as I started to become the mom of teenage girls. Like I was kind of nervous to be a mom of teenage girls, and I didn't, you know, it was a little bit of intimidated by people young, young people, you know, And so being around her really made me feel like, it's just it's gonna be fun and exciting, and it's so fun to watch them like live in the moment like she did.
Speaker 5: You have three beautiful daughters. What lesson have you taken from your own youth in front of the camera and then brought with you into parenting?
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: Well as as I think being in front of the camera, being young and having all that responsibility, I learned that there's you. You have to be there. You cannot not show up for the job because there's a crew waiting for you, and they all want to go home to their families. And my girls, I cannot not show up for them because they need me that much too. Like it's it taught me, you know again that strong Midwestern sort of work ethic is in me, whether I.
Speaker 4: Want it or not.
Speaker 6: So I really work hard and try hard to be the best mom I can be, just like I've always tried to be the best at anything, best bring my best foot forward for anything I've ever done, so I think, you know. And then also just like learning that I'm not perfect and I make mistakes, whether it's in you know, on the set or as an actress or as a mom or whatever it is, and then finding along the way of my life the grace and the love for myself and the self sort of respect to give myself, you know, a break sometimes or give myself grace and say, yeah, you could have done that a little bit better, but there's tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Let's try for tomorrow. You know.
Speaker 5: I love that. I would be remiss if I didn't talk Dancing with the Stars with you for just one question. At the very least you were on season five and you made it all the way to the semi finals. Are you surprised by the show's revival at all?
Speaker 4: I can't believe that show's still on. I remember even one when it came.
Speaker 6: On and they asked me to do it. I'm season one and I was like, oh no, that's that's not vetted. Nobody knows how this is going.
Speaker 4: To go over. So I didn't do it until season three or five or whatever it was. I can't. I mean it was so I love watching it, but how I mean, that's a long time that show's been on. Yeah, that's a long time.
Speaker 6: I guess he's you know, it's the glitz, it's the sequence, it's the personal journey, the challenge that the contestants go through and having done it like it is hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was Derek. You were partnered with Derek Coff. It was his very first season.
Speaker 6: Wow, He's gotten off of a plane from London where he was doing some London show and came directly to my house from the airport.
Speaker 4: He looked like a twelve year old Yeah, and I literally just laughed in his face. I was like, you're gonna be my dance partner. Looks like you're my son. And so we just had fun all the time.
Speaker 6: But I never ever ever could take him serious or like do those like romantic.
Speaker 4: Things and still to this day. I just saw him last week and it was just so fun. It's just the same feeling over again.
Speaker 6: But I think that that show was really showed me how strong I was. Yeah, and I was honestly, you know, no disrespect. But I was so happy when I got kicked off they ever, because I did not like that kind of stress and the spotlight.
Speaker 4: I I'm much more. I don't like that. It was hard. It was really even get hypnotized not pee my pants when they said undancing the Wolves, Like, excuse me, PCSD bumps right now, that's just fun.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I talked to an American Idol winner actually who he still when he hears that, he's like, I have a panic attack.
Speaker 4: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: It like blacked out right, like blacking out, you don't remember anything? Is it just it's not I'm not the person that's like, hey, look at me, everybody like I love that.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like so much fun.
Speaker 4: I in really good shape for that moment. Yep, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: Well I love your focus on finally taking care of yourself at fifty. As women and mothers specifically, I think we get so lost in our roles and our expectations. If you could give advice to anyone who is listening, who, let's say, is just turning thirty and maybe they're ready to start a family, what advice are you giving.
Speaker 4: Them turning thirty.
Speaker 6: That's gotta I gotta rewind for them turning thirty. I mean, let go of the perfection that the desire or the unrelenting quest for perfection. Nobody's living an Instagram life in real life. Yeah, I think we forget that, and I certainly get doom scrolled in and start to feel bad about myself, like it's so useless and pointless, and just you know, do you don't try to live up to other people's expectations or standards. And what I say to everybody I meet, because this, I think is the core of the foundation of us surviving this experience is look in the mirror and find the little person inside of you. We all have it, no matter how old we are, how much we say that so woo woo. I don't want to talk to my inner child that is happening inside of you, that little person that was at some point abandoned by someone, maybe even abandoned by you, to reconnect with that little child inside of you and really sort of like take care of her or him, and just because that right there is like, once you tap into that relationship with yourself, even if it's your younger self, that's the most important love relationship you will ever have in your life. So you know what they say, all those stupid cliches, you can't fully love someone else until you love yourself one hundred percent true. And I heard that in my thirties, twenties, thirties and rolled my eyes. But knowing what I know, living the life that I've lived, like, that's the number one thing that I want people to know. Because you are on your own in this life, you were all you've got, and so making that connection as strong and that bond as strong as you can with yourself, it's most important.
Speaker 5: I love that. Thank you. You can pick up Jenny's book I Choose Me Chasing Joy, Finding Purpose and Embracing reinvention wherever books are sold, and her iHeart podcast I Choose Me is available wherever you get your podcasts. Thank you so much for joining us today. This was really lovely to talk to you.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it. We've spent a long time in the making. Yes, seeing each other backstage and I just saw you, I think, didn't I in Vegas? I get confused?
Speaker 5: Were we Austin right south By Southwest said.
Speaker 4: We were there together. We passed, and yeah, so that we've come together.
Speaker 5: We're all under one roof. You were not under one roof.
Speaker 3: It brings you to really weird places, because the last time you and I sat down and talked, we were in the Brady bunch House. Really, that's so funny.
Speaker 5: You guys were in the Brady Bunch House. Writer and Jenny were in south By Southwest and I. She and I were at the iHeart Music.
Speaker 4: Awards or QBC headquarter, the.
Speaker 5: QBC headquarters, it could be anywhere, you never know.
Speaker 2: We need like a nineties teen actor handshake or something.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, like a secret wing or something exactly. I love it and we see each other so funny.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: It was great talking to you.
Speaker 5: We'll see you again in a weird place.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You know what, I honestly can't believe how much I loved the nine O two one oh cast over the last like year and a half. I've actually because we've always been around each other we've always been at events together and talking to them through our podcast and at conventions.
Speaker 1: In the last like two or three years.
Speaker 2: I have had so much fun connecting with them, and they're all very smart, very interesting people. They've all turned into like I don't know's that's like a shock to me, and I guess that's just a result of me having, you know, absorbed them in the tabloid sense, and of course I didn't read any of that stuff, but you just sort of know that there's drama and there's all this, and then to like actually talk to them and they're all so cool and down to earth, and I'm just like, God, I just fall I just fell for the trap that we all do, which is assuming that actors are like their characters or whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We also we really have no concept of how famous they were. Oh back in the day, it was they were on such another level, the same that it was. I could not imagine living that life and for meeting a movie for ten years they did essentially.
Speaker 2: But also they were like the first experience of seeing famous teenagers for me before I became one, So like they were like paving the way, and I remember being like that's crazy, what is happening? You know, and then sort of stepped into it myself, but on a much smaller scale.
Speaker 3: But like they were also in a very interesting way. They were kind of the bridge between the seventies and eighties child actor that ended up having lots of problems to then kind of I mean you never really heard about Jenny Garth got arrested last night, Like you didn't hear about that kind of stuff. So it was they they they went from they kind of were that bridge to being a more stable version of a teen child act.
Speaker 1: But didn't the tableaus want them to be unstable?
Speaker 2: Of course, I feel like they were milking the stories.
Speaker 3: None of it was true, or it was it was the smallest little thing, or it was a tiny little thing. I mean they were they weren't getting arrested, they weren't doing drugs, they weren't doing all this stuff where you were. Really it started in nineteen ninety I mean you had a lot of eighties stars and seventy stars, the different strokes, kids and all the stuff that were having really hard lives and they kind of started the you know, you can be a healthy teen child actor.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: And we've got March Nana Nat Nana Nan at March.
Speaker 5: March Podmeetsworldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeats World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Moore engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com